Speaker 1: The MTV Video Music Awards were launched in nineteen eighty four.
Speaker 2: MTV presents Dead Waiting, Rock and Rolling ba again of the last three thousand years the MTV.
Speaker 1: Music It was meant to be ironic, a way to poke fun at the seriousness of traditional award shows, but the new music channel for teens was popular and big stars showed up this lad story. Nick Jagger also there a relatively unknown twenty six year old Madonna, in one of her first performances on television, there to sing an unreleased song like a Virgin. She stood atop a seventeen foot wedding cake, dressed like a bride but wearing a belt buckle emblazoned with the words boy toy. When she got to the bottom of the cake, she dropped to the ground, crawling and rolling around, simulating sex and revealing her lingerie and a little bit of her butt. The audience and the world aghast at the sheer audacity of it.
Speaker 3: Madonna so outraged everyone in that room that her manager said, your career is done.
Speaker 1: But far from ending her ascent to the top of the charts, that performance would change Madonna's career and life forever, transforming her from pop newcomer to superstar.
Speaker 4: I'm Susie Bannacaram and I'm Jessica Bennett.
Speaker 1: And this is in Retrospect, where each week we revisit a cultural moment from the past that shaped us and.
Speaker 4: That we just can't stop thinking about.
Speaker 1: Today, we're talking about one of Madonna's iconic early performances, one that was so scandalous many predicted it would end her career. But we're also talking about the rise of MTV and how together MTV and Madonna became a force that would define eighties pop culture.
Speaker 5: This is part one, Susie, I don't remember this moment from real time, but I of course from watching clips of it or seeing clips of it over and over and over again because I was such a Madonna fan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but there are so many Madonna moments, so why this one?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you would have been really young, so it doesn't surprise me that you didn't see this in real time. I'm a little older than you, so I do remember it when it happened. But also I've just always loved Madonna and I loved MTV. Like early MTV is hard to describe to people who are used to current MTV. But MTV was so fun and it felt so free, and it was a way to discover music and artists. So this moment felt like a good way to talk about two things that were really big cultural influences on me. And Madonna herself is just amazing. I was just like this huge fan I dressed liked her, I loved the music, and I don't know if it was conscious at the time because I was still pretty little, but she sort of represented what it meant to be free, right, Like what it was like to be cool and to do whatever you wanted and to not listen to other people Like it felt very liberating to me to love her, and so I was thinking, I really want to do a Madonna episode. But you can't do all of Madonna, you know what I mean, Like you said, such a prolific career. There have been so many chapters, and her influence is so broad. So I was like, what could I do that could just encapsulate one period or one moment in her time? And this felt like a good example of that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I totally agree.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's really hard to explain to someone growing up today how cool MTV was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was really cool.
Speaker 5: Even now, occasionally there's like weird channels or I'll find them on Hulu that are playing just old MTV music videos and I'm like, oh my god, oh my god, and i feel like I'm thirteen again, because that was how we got culture, I guess, and it was like, I don't know what felt transgressive, and I just remember going over to friends houses who had k and just clapping down on the couch and sitting there for hours and hours and hours, absolutely glued to the television, wanting to memorize every little detail of every video and every song.
Speaker 4: The big number one last week Salt and Pepper and Bog Water Man. Yep, and we've got two hours of the hottest videos in the country.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I think another thing that's important to note is that we didn't have YouTube, We didn't have access to video on demand. So getting to see your favorite video was like really special. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yes, you had to race to the television, yes, and you had to.
Speaker 1: Like record it on VHS if you wanted to watch it again. And when they debuted a video, it was a big event.
Speaker 2: Here is the planet's first look at smells like teen Spirit.
Speaker 1: It's just really different when all you have is a few channels on the television, and only one of them is really geared towards you and the things you're interested in. That's like four, we're in to someone growing up now.
Speaker 5: Okay, so you know we're talking about this performance she gave in nineteen eighty four, like a virgin. She's like writhing around on the floor. It's you know, goes down in history in many ways. And you're going to walk us through all of that. But before we get deep into it, who is Madonna in this year? She's not yet a big star?
Speaker 1: Is that right? Yeah, she's not a big star yet. She's sort of an up and coming star. She's released her first single.
Speaker 6: The song that out on the radio right now, called Everybody. It's about getting people could dance and lose their inhibition.
Speaker 1: And in nineteen eighty two, just a couple of years before this, it charted on the dance charts, but it wasn't super mainstream, but it did help her get her first album deal. Right, so she does have an album. She's released an album at this point in July of nineteen eighty three, and it's a great album. I just want to say, I listened to it again this morning, just to psych myself up. And it's just full of bangers, right, Lucky Star Holiday border line, Like, she comes out of the gate with this really strong album. But it debuted on the Billboard charts at one ninety. Oh that's so surprising, okay, Right in the United States, it wasn't that popular, and it didn't peak until after this performance. After this performance, it made it to number eight on the charts, I see. And that was more than a year after it was released, So you know, this is the performance that's going to push her into superstardom. At this point, she's still kind of like a known entity, but not by everyone. Holiday as a great single. I think we're going to hear a lot more of you such license, thank you, and thanks for doing the interview.
Speaker 6: You're welcome.
Speaker 5: So that's interesting because if she wasn't huge at that moment, why did MTV pick her to perform or how did they have the fourth site to know that she was going to be huge?
Speaker 1: Well, Empty's audience was a little different than the mainstream radio audience, right, That's one of the things MTV did that was pretty unique is that they chose their artists in a different way. Than the radio DJs did, and Madonna was very much an MTV artist. She embraced music videos really early, when a lot of other musicians were extremely skeptical. She saw a potential in it.
Speaker 4: It's so funny to think about now.
Speaker 1: A lot of artists were really skeptical of MTV and music videos. They felt like it was impinging on their art in some way, Like there were like were these lessons and like this is asking us to be actors.
Speaker 5: Oh god, it's like if we could go back to that, honestly, like now everyone has to be actor anyway, Kerry.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. And actually, there's this amazing video you can find on YouTube where Madonna is on a panel at some music conference in nineteen eighty four and they're talking about the rise of MTV and music videos and all the other musicians are complaining about it, and Madonna is pushing back.
Speaker 6: You could be reaching a lot of people that would never be able to come and see you live, So I think that definitely an advantage.
Speaker 1: She's really the least famous person on this panel, but in true Madonna fashion, she interrupts James Brown at one points.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, but you know, kids today worship the television, So I think it's a great way to reach them.
Speaker 1: Honestly. The funniest part is that she gets into it with John Oates of Holland Oates. They would, by the way, go on to completely embrace music videos and performed at the same VMAs where Madonna performed like a Virgin. But here John Oates is very against the idea of music videos because he is a serious musician as far as I'm concerned. You know, I always wanted to be a musician, and you know, to me, that's still my purpose.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: But listen, when you perform on stage, you're acting. I mean, that's a performance. So what's I mean if someone puts a cam on you, what's the difference?
Speaker 1: So she really saw the potential, right, And that's partially because a lot of her early career was tied to the culture in New York in those early years that she got here, and there were a ton of filmmakers around her and artists, and so she was just really comfortable with the medium. She was comfortable being on camera. Yeah, and I'm going to tell you about all of that, but I want to finish telling you about the performance first.
Speaker 4: Yes, Okay, So back to the performance.
Speaker 5: You know, you said in the intro that like a Virgin hadn't actually been released yet, so it's interesting or I guess is it interesting?
Speaker 4: Tell me that she chose to perform that song on stage.
Speaker 1: It is interesting, and I think it's really unusual. I'm not sure that MTV or your label would let.
Speaker 5: You do that now because it's like a debut, right She's debuting it on stage kind of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she debuts a song and people are obsessed with it, but they can't buy it. That's why her album goes back on the charts, because they're like, this is an amazing song, and when they go to record stores, I need more. You can download it, so it's not available right away. She chose to sing this, I think because she was really anxious to release it. You know, this performance was in September. The song itself isn't released until the end of October, and she knew knew it was going to be a big hit. She suspected that it was going to really resonate, and she was anxious to get it out and she was saying to people, I'm anxious to get it out, but her record label didn't want her to release it until the previous album had kind of peaked and valleyed, because they wanted to take as much advantage of that as possible. So it kind of makes sense that they wanted her to wait and that she didn't, And I think she just convinced MTV to let her do it. And at the time, the labels didn't think of MTV as that important, so yeah, they wouldn't have argued with her about it. They would be like, yeah, perform whatever you want on that like silly thing on that channel that like teens watch.
Speaker 4: You know, that's so interesting.
Speaker 1: So I want to tell you a couple other things about the song, which I think are fascinating and I learned through this process. The song was actually written by two men. One of them had recently started a new relationship and he wanted to like describe how amazing it felt to be in a relationship again after a rough patch. So all of the double entendres that you hear when Madonna sings it, they weren't really intended in the song, and it was written for a man to sing. They thought a man would likely sing it. They just happened to play it for a record executive and then that record executive happened the next day to me meeting with Madonna, so he has this idea that it might work for her. He plays her the demo and she immediately gets it. She's immediately like, this song will be amazing. I want to record it.
Speaker 5: It's so perfect because it's you think that she has written and I mean, I didn't know it was written by two men, but like you, it's the it is her, like that song is her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting because she's gotten to writing credit on almost every song, or maybe every song she's ever sung. And I think it's because even when other people write music for her, she's very involved in the process of making it her own. So I think all her music sounds like she's written it, even though you know she's herself. Would admit she's not a musician in that way. She doesn't write the music, but she has a very clear sense of what she likes and what she thinks is going to work for her and her point of view. It's not even really just about the music. It's like about the story she wants to tell at any given time.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's a perfect entree into the performance itself. I haven't watched it in a while, and I assume listeners haven't either.
Speaker 4: Can you describe it for us?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'd be happy too, because I've watched it like ninety times in the last three weeks. I just keep watching it over and over again.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the first annual MTV Video Music Awards Show.
Speaker 1: So the performance starts and Madonna is dressed kind of like a rock and roll bride, right, And she's standing on top of this seventeen foot three layer wedding cake. And there's a mannequin next to her dressed as a groom, So it's like a bride and groom on top of a cake. And she has on a veil and she's holding a bouquet and she starts singing, and it starts with a real close up of her and it sort of pulls out and as she sings, she kicks off her heels and they land in front of the cake. This will matter later, and she starts walking down the cake using the layers as steps, okay, And she pulls back her veil and you see that she's wearing all these necklaces, one of which is a cross, right, and she has on this white belt.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it's like I can see it.
Speaker 1: I can see it, And the belt buckle says boy toy, which, incidentally, I learned in my research was her graffiti tag because when she was living in New York, graffiti had become a big art form and she was dating Bascyat and she was really close to Keith Herring, who were both really into graffiti. So she had her own graffiti tag and it was ironically boy toy.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 5: So it's like every little detail of that outfit is so meticulously thought her.
Speaker 1: Yes, and also just tells you a story about Madonna and where she was at that time. So she's an all white lace and there's like Cooca dot tool in her dress, and she's wearing a bustille with spaghetti straps, and she's wearing the fingerless gloves. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean we all had a pair of those, right, Like everyone did. It became that classic look.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was the very classic Madonna look that all the little girls emulated. And when most people dress up as Madonna for Halloween, they put on right. I've definitely done that. And you can see in the performance that she already knows how to work a camera. At times, she looks straight into it in a way that can only be described as extremely seductive. Like I can't think of another way to describe it. But she's working the camera, which a lot of people just didn't know how to do yet. Right, she's conscious of where it is. She knows how to move in a way that it's going to capture her in the ways that are most flattering. And as she starts to walk down the cake, she takes off the veil and she takes down her hair. Her hair's up and she sort of like takes out the thing that's holding it and she shakes it out the way you do when you're getting ready for bed. And even that a scene at the time is a little risque, right, Like she's.
Speaker 4: It's not progressed. It's not how you shake your hair when you're going to bed.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, of course, it's like when you're getting ready to jump into bed with someone.
Speaker 1: Maybe I know. It's also that like classic librarian thing whenever they want to make a librarian hot. She like takes down her hair and she shakes it.
Speaker 5: There is a name, by the way, I forget what it is, but there is a name for that shaking down of the butt.
Speaker 1: Oh, really oh amazing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it was like a trope name for it. Anyway, carry amazing.
Speaker 1: And so when she gets to the bottom of the cake, she drops to the floor and she lays on her back for a second, and you see that she's grabbing her white stiletto heels and putting them on, sort of off camera.
Speaker 4: Oh so she's like putting them back on because she's thrown them off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she threw them off to be able to walk down this like really kind of precarious cake, to be honest. And so now she's putting them on and the camera's focused on her face. So the next time you see her, the shoes are back on her feet and she throws the bouquet into the crowd. And when she went down for the heels, she did lie down for a second. She sort of like laid down, so when she was putting them on, it wasn't so noticeable that she was putting them back on. But now she's on her feet, and she's on her feet for some amount of time, and then she decides to go back down to the floor and she throws her veil onto the stage and she gets down and she does what I think can only be described as writhing or rolling around on the floor. She sort of similates sex by thrusting her hips and at the end she's crawling around and the skirt rides up to her waist and the camera gets a picture of essentially her legs and her garter belts and her butt. But I don't know how else to say this. It's sort of just like under butt, Like it's not her full butt, even though that's what everyone would say after.
Speaker 4: This, because she's wearing underwear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's wearing underwear, so you're just seeing her long ray. Okay, I mean you can't really see the underwear. It's just like I think it's just white lace underwear. But she has these garter belts on and you see your hose, so it's not that crazy. But at the time it's considered wildly inappropriate. And as she's lying there on the ground on her back, the camera cuts to black.
Speaker 4: So are people like going wild? Is the audience screaming?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 4: Are what's the reaction?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 5: Is it actually as scandalous as I don't know, you made it sound like it doesn't sound that scandalous, But was it considered scandless?
Speaker 1: In nineteen eighty four, it was considered scandalless. So, I mean, the audience just claps like normal. They're not like on their feet and freaking out there. It's a regular sort of clapping. And then I mean, who are these people? Get on your feet? I don't know, but you know, and then immediately it goes to commercial. But you're right that it wouldn't be considered a wild performance today. It was seen as extremely controversial. But people have come out in much less clothing since this, Right, there's like the Brittany with the snake, and Madonna herself has done performances that have been far more risque since this. But you have to think about that. Even at that time, the fact that the song used the word virgin was seen as a provocation. So then suddenly pairing it with a wedding dress and a cross and showing some skin is considered just beyond what is acceptable. And in the video that's available now, you don't see the crowd reaction shots, right, You just see them clapping and then it goes to the commercial. But reporting at the time said that people were literally aghast. Her longtime publicist Liz Rosenberg, said that people were gasping in the audience. Oh really, okay, and that Madonna took it so much further than anyone knew she was capable of.
Speaker 4: Oh interesting, okay, So maybe they were a guess, we just didn't see it.
Speaker 1: You just don't see it because unlike now where they have made a point to like go to the audience and show your reaction, they just weren't that sophisticated at the time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a good point too. It's like this is a different kind of camera work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, than we would expect now, because now they would be prepared, they would wanted to assume a shot in a house. So and so reacted exactly. And another example, just so you get a sense of what the reaction was. A cultural critic at the Philly Inquirer wrote at the time that despite the fact that people think rock musicians and rock industry people are you know, jaded and decadent and nothing can shock them, that in fact, the crowd looked absolutely shocked, and that you know, co host Bet Midler, who herself was seen as you know, a little provocative, was moved afterwards to roll her eyes and make a few a few remarks about Madonna's virginity.
Speaker 4: Oh interesting. Yeah, I wish we knew what those were, but I'm sure they're not.
Speaker 1: I tried to find them, honestly, because I thought it would be really funny to play them. But I haven't been able to uncover that particular of the award show. But you know, this Philly Inquirer critic basically makes the point that the rock business must now be conservative because look how they responded to this, which is kind of a funny idea, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean it's worth noting or contextualizing a little bit what was happening in the eighties. This is the Reagan era, the whole like traditional family values thing.
Speaker 8: Family life has changed much down through the years. The days when we could expect to live in only one home and hold only one job or probably gone forever. Perhaps we will not go back to the old family ways, but I think we can and should preserve family values.
Speaker 5: So it's not shocking in some way to think people would be scandalized by this in nineteen eighty four, whereas had this performance occurred in nineteen sixty nine, it would stock or something like.
Speaker 4: Maybe that wouldn't have been the case.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think, yes, very much. The Reagan era, which starts in eighty one when he's elected president, and he remains in office until eighty nine, so he's really president for all of the eighties. And you think about it, and that era was very much a reaction to the civil rights and feminist movements, and he was an extremely popular president, probably the most popular Republican president. And some could argue whether or not Trump is as popular as Reagan. I think there's a lot of evidence he is not, because Reagan really appealed even to moderates, right They felt like he was this kind of goofy actor turned politician.
Speaker 8: Tomorrow is my birthday, and I prefer to think of it as the thirty sixth anniversary of my thirty ninth, but I'll be just about due for a midlife crisis.
Speaker 1: He exudes this very wholesome americanism, and what he's sort of reassuring Americans of is that we're going to go back to family values, traditional family values, whatever that means.
Speaker 5: So Madonna with her cross and the virginal yes, the virginal whore on top of the wedding cake with her cross strutting down onto the stage is not considered traditional family value.
Speaker 1: Is not considered traditional family values. And actually, to prepare for this episode, I read this great new book about Madonna from the renowned biographer Mary Gabriel. The book is called Madonna, a Rebel Life, and she's written a lot of books about remarkable women. I highly recommend it. It's an excellent book, and in it she actually talked a little bit about what this era was like.
Speaker 3: Oh great for young people who don't understand that time. It was a time of extreme reaction, conservative reaction. It was a time when the conservative movement really gained leverage within the Reagan administration to turn back the clock on reforms legislatively and politically and socially. So any social advances that had been made that freed people and made actually post war freedoms, whether it's financial equality, the labor union's sexual equality, racial equality, whatever had been achieved up to let's say the seventies, all came under attack by conservatives. I mean, they really, you know, we know this phrase, they played the long game. That phrase wasn't used in but that's what they were doing.
Speaker 5: So it's interesting because it almost feels significant that Madonna is perhaps I mean, I think, knowing what we know of her now this probably becomes true challenging that with this performance, Reagan was very much focused on preserving the sanctity of the traditional family. And I'm sure Madonna, who had you know, was like gallivanting around New York City in the late seventies and early eighties in this like very specific time of artists and free love is pushing against that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very much. And interestingly, her initial idea for this performance was also out there, but probably wouldn't have been so challenging to that worldview. The wedding cake was actually her second choice for our prop. She initially wanted to sing the song to a tiger, but the producers obviously were like, no, be serious, we can't have it like time, like a live tiger, like a giant. And she's like, singing the song to the tiger, yes, like if the tiger was the one who was making her feel like a version, oh.
Speaker 5: Okay, And so that that's so interesting because that weill wild and dangerous and whatever like wouldn't have actually been as controversial.
Speaker 1: So it wouldn't have been but obviously the producers are like, it's too dangerous, like the tiger could kill.
Speaker 5: Someone pre Britney Snake era, Yes, pre Britney snak era, Right, they.
Speaker 4: Don't want to get mauled by a tiger.
Speaker 1: And so just five days before the performance, she goes back to them and says, how about this seventeen foot cake? She had recently done something like this at a party and it had been this big success, and so the producer say that they built the cake for her, even though it put them over budget.
Speaker 5: Okay, that is such an important detail. And also that made me remember, isn't there some sort of maybe a lion or like some other large cat in the music video for the Yes?
Speaker 1: In the music video she does get her wild cat. She gets a lion and she sings to it. But you know, it's still sort of like tied a little bit to this performance. And in fact what happens is a lot of times MTV actually just runs this performance as the music video because it's such a popular moment.
Speaker 4: But why the cake? Like, what did this cake represent to her?
Speaker 8: Do we know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we do know, and in fact we know because of Mary Gabriel. She wrote a lot about this performance in the book I mentioned, and she discovered something interesting in her research.
Speaker 3: Her idea was that she was going to make a comment on marriage about how when you're on the top of the cake, in other words, just getting married, everything is so wonderful and rosy and dreamlike and gauzy and pure. But as she came down the cake, it was like Dante's Inferno. You know, she went through the various layers of marriage, you know, and by the time she got to the floor, it was, you know, she was well acquainted with what marriage really was, and so she started rolling around on the floor and you know, kind of writhing mock masturbation, and you know, it was classic Madonna.
Speaker 5: I love hearing how deliberate her choices are and how she's always focused on telling a story. Like these are things that I think we assume about Madonna. But Mary Gabriel really.
Speaker 1: Uncovered this, yes, because this had never been published before. It was part of the reporter's notes that she got access to for her book. So I love this detail. It's one that's never really been discussed. And I do think at the time people thought Madonna was manufactured in some way, like they felt like, you know, she was a pop star. Maybe the record labels were making her decisions, maybe this or that, But the reality is she always had real intention behind the choices she made, and they were her choices, right, And it really speaks to that when you think about this, right, this is a really complex setup for this what seems like just an off the cuff performance.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of messages, yeah, wrapped into this one performance. Okay, so we know that people are apparently aghast in the audience, although we don't see it on their faces if you watch the video back now. But has Madonna ever talked about what immediately happens after that performance.
Speaker 1: She has talked about it, and in fact, she talked about it recently in twenty twenty one. She was on Howard Stern's show, and here's what she said.
Speaker 9: After I got off stage during that performance, my manager was white as a ghost, and he looked at me and said, do you know what you just did? And I said, yeah, I sang a song and I lost my shoe on stage and he's like, no, your butt was showing for the entire song.
Speaker 1: Your career is over. Wow.
Speaker 5: So I wonder if she freaked out that he says that, or is she like, I'm Madonna, I'll do anything, you know.
Speaker 1: She says she wasn't even then, even that early in her career. She says, you know, I wasn't that apologetic. I was just like, well, fuck it, I made a mistake.
Speaker 4: You don't go somewhere and crying say I just lost my career. No that, but also interesting that she did consider it a mistake, at least it first.
Speaker 1: It doesn't seem like she really ever questioned her choices, right, She comes into this with so much confidence. She has sort of this inherent confidence that she's making the right decisions even if men, you know, and it's usually men can't see her vision. And that's I think something about her I really admire, Like I feel like I have so many doubts.
Speaker 5: Well, as you're saying this, I'm like, god, I need to like put a Madonna slogan up on my computer screen to be like, no, actually, you know what the fuck you're doing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, truly, because I feel like I spent all of my life second guessing myself. Like it's amazing that she doesn't have that quality. What a gift in her life. But either way, her team obviously realizes that she's pushed the envelope maybe too far this time, and they come up with this explanation for how she ended up on the ground with her skirt around her waist. And I have to tell you that I've heard her tell the story in many different arenas over the course of many years, and she told it as recently is twenty twenty two on Jimmy fallon and she must believe it at this point here she is talking about what happened when she got to the bottom of the giant wedding cake.
Speaker 7: My white still little pumps fell off and I was trying to do like the smooth move, like dive for the shoe and make it look like it was choreography. Yeah, and my dress flipped up and my butt was showing. Can't imagine happened by accident. I didn't even know my butt was showing.
Speaker 4: Wait, okay, this is so interesting.
Speaker 5: So has this explanation then been concocted to like justify it.
Speaker 1: Well, that is the official story. She has told many times that she fell onto the ground because she was trying to retrieve her shoe.
Speaker 5: I mean, I guess it is somewhat believable that she would be trying to like sexily and without causing a pause, put back on the shoes wallowed the floor, but also doing it.
Speaker 4: In this way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But Mary Gabriel tells a different story in her book when.
Speaker 3: She starts to roll around on the floor her shoes around. You know, I think that that scenario was something her manager cooked up to kind of justify her having performed this what was at the time considered incredibly leude act where her dress rode up and you know, her underwear was showed, and I mean it was an absolutely chaste performance by today's standards. It wasn't just that her bottom was exposed. It was that she was obviously a lustful woman satisfying herself, not overtly masturbating. But that was the implication. And for that to happen on TV at that time, to have this young gorgeous woman saying, you know what, guys, I don't need you. You know, I can satisfy myself. You can keep your wedding cake. That was a message too far.
Speaker 5: Okay, So I didn't realize there was like this whole back and forth theory about the shoes. Yeah, you've obviously watched the performance a lot of times. Now do you agree with Mary's assessment? Like where I guess it's the question is the shoe?
Speaker 6: So is that right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean to be honest, I have watched it a lot, and her shoes were definitely on her feet when she went down the second time.
Speaker 4: Okay, so the quiet, okay, right, let me just clarify.
Speaker 5: So the question is whether the shoes are already on her feet when she goes down the second time, or if she's putting them on her feet and thus has to like writhe around in order to do stuff.
Speaker 1: Yes, the story she's telling is that her shoes were off her feet, so she went down to put them back on. She tried to make it look like it was choreography, and that's why she's riding around on the floor.
Speaker 5: But that's which makes sense for the first time she goes down, but the second time she goes down, it does not make sense for the second time.
Speaker 1: That's why I was so clear when we were walking through it to be like, these shoes are going to matter, because okay, she kicks off the shoes at the top of the cake so she can walk down, But once she gets on the ground, she puts her shoes back on, and there's a significant amount of the performance where she's walking around.
Speaker 4: In them in the shoes, and then she lays back down on the floor.
Speaker 1: And then the part that really scandalizes people is this crawling around and a stimulating sex and her shoes are firm on that entire day. I got it, okay, But I think in a way this also explains something about Madonna, which is that she's very good at bending reality to her will. You know, she's really very willing to sort of be like, no, this is what happened, and she has said it so many times that I think most people believe that this whole section of the performance that got her in trouble was just a mistake, and so she was given a little bit of a pass for it.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 5: This is actually reminded me of something that I think we didn't mention yet, which is that Madonna was not only at the VMA's to perform like a version, she was actually nominated for Best New Artist in a Video for the video for Borderline.
Speaker 1: Yes, she was nominated for Borderline. She ended up losing to Annie Lennox and the Eurythmics, but you know, she kind of stole the show, and it turns out that Annie Lennox was not very gracious in her victory. Really, after the show, someone asked Annie Lennox out this performance by Madonna, and she describes it as very very horrish. Wow, she says something like it was like she was fucking the music industry. It might have been a parody on her part, but I thought it was very low.
Speaker 4: Whoa, it's like she's won.
Speaker 5: I'm so confused by this because analytics and the rhythmics have won, so like, why bother making a nasty comment about the loser?
Speaker 4: Anyway, Fine, I love them both, but fascinating.
Speaker 1: Well, whatever analytics thought, she was wrong, because this performance really does end upsetting the bar for every performance that comes after it at the VMA's. In fact, every year after this, artists have just tried to top Madonna by being even more outrageous.
Speaker 5: Okay, so let's talk a little bit more about the VMAs. So this was the first year, but here we are twenty twenty four. They're still around forty years later, and there have been many I guess I don't know what you want to call them, outrageous, iconic, staged wild moments Like we've talked in a previous episode about Madonna kissing Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera. That was like certainly stage, but you know they're they are all kind of trying to top each other.
Speaker 1: And there's also the most maybe famous one which was not stage, which is when Kanye stole the mic from t Square.
Speaker 4: Right, thank you so much for giving me a chance to win a VMA Award.
Speaker 1: No, Taylor, I'm really happy for you.
Speaker 2: I'ma let you finish.
Speaker 1: But Beyonce had one of the best videos of all time.
Speaker 5: I also remember Lady Gaga in the meat dress, like that was a huge moment about our fashion moment met there was Miley cyrus turking with Robin Thick in that Blurred Lines performance.
Speaker 4: I'm sure there's so many, so many right.
Speaker 1: Now, we mentioned one earlier. There's Brittany in the Snake.
Speaker 4: There's always something or and if there's not, like that's a problem for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a bad year for the MS if they haven't made any noise.
Speaker 5: So that first year, the Madonna year, what were the awards like or what were the performances like beyond Madonna? Like was it just all tame or were they kind of figuring it all out? And then they had this performance like what else was happening? So I've actually watched as much of the first year's ceremony as I could. I've found as many clips of it as are available on YouTube. It's really hard because there isn't like a single start to finish recording of this, and I'm so sad about it.
Speaker 1: I really wish I could have found it. These awards take place on September fourteenth and nineteen eighty four. It's a totally live performance, so you know, they don't tape it and re err it or anything. And it's at Radio City Music Hall. And it's probably worth noting that MTV was only three years old at this point. It was pretty popular already, and it had close to twenty four million viewers. But the awards were supposed to be kind of a joke. They were meant to be ironic, you know. Les Garland, one of the founding executives of MTV, has said the original thought was to make a mockery of all award shows. So it surprised us.
Speaker 5: So when people took it seriously, Okay, you know who else performed that year.
Speaker 1: Well, bat Meddler and Dan Ackward were the hosts, and performers included Rod Stewart, Tina Turner's Ezy top Holland oates the famously.
Speaker 4: Anti music video music stars Yeah, Huey.
Speaker 1: Lewis and the News, which was very big at the time, which people may have forgotten about. And of course Madonna she was the least famous of the performers. This was really one of her first big TV appearances. In fact, her first big TV appearance was on American Bandstand.
Speaker 8: This lady started out as a dancer, went to New York, went to Paris, worked with bands, came back as a single and is she hot? This is Madonna.
Speaker 1: It's so funny to watch it now because it's just like a bunch of white kids like dancing around. And even that was controversial because at the end he said to her, like what comes next for you? What are your dreams? What's like to rule the world?
Speaker 4: There you go, ladies and gentlemen, this is Madonna.
Speaker 1: And people were shocked that she was so presumptuous as to want to rule the world.
Speaker 5: Okay, And so, just to reiterate for the kids listening, yeah, MTV, Like, how did you describe how big a cultural impact MTV had on like our generation.
Speaker 1: Well, let me give you a little background on MTV stuff that I didn't know, so I think it's interesting. So MTV was launched on August first in nineteen eighty one.
Speaker 5: There were exactly one month older than me. Oh amazing, I'm literally the MTV generation. You are You are the MTV generation.
Speaker 1: Well, you might actually be a little young to be the MTV generation because yah, I guess the MTV generation were the teenagers who watched those fast two years of MTV. So it was kind of this ragtag operation, like a couple of executives who thought that this would be a relatively cheap way to reach teenagers. That there was no TV for teenagers at the time, and they only had about one hundred videos to choose from because artists didn't make were making music videos like that didn't exist as an art form. And even though the studios were based in New York, it was initially only available on cable channels in New Jersey. So really yeah, so only a few thousand people on a single cable system in northern New Jersey could see it. In fact, oh my god, I read somewhere that to watch the launch, the executives had to drive to New Jersey.
Speaker 5: Such such a fun fact. If I was from New Jersey, I would be using that fact.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's amazing, And the first few hours on the channel are themselves like very iconic moments in pop culture ten nine eight. It starts with the footage of a rocket launching.
Speaker 8: Five four.
Speaker 4: We've gone from main engine starts.
Speaker 1: We have reded, and a voice says, and I can hear this voice in my head because they used to use this voice a lot on the channel. Ladies channlemen rock and roll. And then the first video plays, which is the song video Killed the Radio Star. The song is from this band, the Buggles, I think that's how it's pronounced, which was a British new wave band. This was their biggest and maybe only hit. And the rest of the launch is a mix of music videos and introductions hyping up how high tech this all.
Speaker 6: Is, announcing the latest achievement in home entertainment, the power of sight, video, the power of sound MTV.
Speaker 1: Music tele and all of the programming was guided by hosts, or as they called the VJs, which you know, is like the video version of a DJ.
Speaker 2: Welcome to MTV Music Television, the world's first twenty four hour stereo video music channel.
Speaker 1: They would go on to become household names like I don't know if you remember, but we knew the names of vj's on MTV growing up and back in nineteen eighty one. They were just introducing the concept in this grandiose way.
Speaker 2: The best of TV combined with the best of radio starting right now. You'll never look at music the same way.
Speaker 4: Again, that's amazing, okay.
Speaker 5: And so if they only had about one hundred music videos to choose from, did they even were.
Speaker 4: They calling them music videos?
Speaker 7: Then?
Speaker 4: Like, what where were they finding these things?
Speaker 1: Well, a lot of the videos came from abroad, actually, so they found clips or videos that had been made by bands in other countries. In fact, one of the things that MTV did is really bring a lot of British music to the States because that wasn't really being played on the radio. It's considered sort of the second British invasion. And it is just true that music videos the way we think about them genuinely did not exist. I know that's hard to believe, but you know, shows that focused on music, like American Bandstand, which launched in fifty seven and was such a huge and popular show, they just featured live performances. So when there was a video. It was considered a short film before this. And one of the things that was so funny in the research is that reporters couldn't figure out how to describe what music videos were when the channel launched. And I found this amazing clip when Time magazine tried to describe it to its readers. This is how they did it. The main ingredients in MTV's programming are video records or videos colon current recordings illustrated by three or four minute video tape.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, did you watch that video colin current recordings posted by three or four minute video tapes?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 4: That's me. I love archives.
Speaker 1: Oh and I have to tell you the other detail I love is that because it was literally like a person who was just like inserting tapes into a VCR in the early years, sometimes the screen would go black when someone was changing.
Speaker 5: Out changing the v Oh my gosh, changing the tape in the VCR. Yes, Can we go back to that time? Honestly, it just feels like such a simpler time.
Speaker 1: I mean, it was a simpler time, but there were lots of horrible things happening back then too. There was the AIDS crisis. I mean, I think That's what's kind of interesting about the era, right, is like, in some ways it does feel simpler, but part of it is because there was this aura of oh, everything's fine, but underneath it, there were a lot of things that weren't fine. And you know, that's what the MTV generation, this generation of kids who grew up on MTV, were reacting to in a lot of ways. That's what Madonna was reacting to, for sure. But yeah, the channel is almost instantly successful, even though it's like barely available. They start getting more and more carriers, and one of the ways they convince carriers to use it is they do a survey. They send people to record stores and say, are people asking for records that they're only seeing on MTV versus things that are being played on the radio, And record stores say that that is the case. They are seeing kids coming in increasingly and they are selling more and more music only available on MTV. And that's how the executive convinced more cable stations to take it. And another thing that's kind of interesting about this is that cable television wasn't that big at that time. It was kind of still in its early stages, and there was no programming specifically for teens. And you know, cable TV was more common in the suburbs and rural areas because it was easier to run cable there. So you need to actually run cable to make cable available to more people.
Speaker 4: And so initially a lot of what does run cable mean? Like run a wire?
Speaker 1: Well, no physical cable, like you know, cable is a.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, run like running a wire, that's what, right, Like running cable wasn't a cable.
Speaker 4: This is kind of the same as a wire.
Speaker 1: I mean, I mean I'm not a technical expert, so let's say yes.
Speaker 5: Anyway, Okay, so you mean they need running a physical.
Speaker 1: Cable, yes, so to actually like make it available to people. And so, because a lot of the kids who saw it were in these suburban and rural areas, first they really loved it because they didn't have access to what was going on in New York. Now, they didn't have access to this world that suddenly they were seeing for themselves.
Speaker 5: Right, It wasn't like everyone could access the same things on the internet. This was like truly you were kind of on the inside or in the know if you had access to this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so within a few years, kids are demanding that their parents buy cable so they can see MTV. And in a lot of ways, CNN and MTV are really credited with leading TV's transition from being just the three main channels, you know, ABC, CBS, NBC to really expanding the cable world and leading to this cable explosion. But the cultural impact honestly goes beyond just cable, right. MTV really changes the way people experience music. You know, Mary talks about this in her book about how after centuries of just listening to music, people now really want to watch it.
Speaker 3: Here she is again in Madonna's generation young filmmakers, this whole generation took that idea and made it an art form. And Madonna was the absolute perfect person for that because she was so visually aware of how she appeared in a camera, how she appeared moving in front of a camera. She was preternaturally prepared for the video era.
Speaker 1: And in many ways, the rise of Madonna and the rise of MTV happened together, right, they're sort of inextricably linked.
Speaker 3: Yes, there's time almost simultaneous. That year that Madonna recorded her first video, which was also nineteen eighty two, for her song burning up. Changes had begun to occur because the people making the videos weren't corporate. They were artists, and you know, the culture was about to change radically, and Madonna was at the forefront.
Speaker 5: That feels like a really good place to end Part one, Susie, what do we have in store next week?
Speaker 1: So next week we're going to take you beyond the like a virgin performance and tell you what happens next. We'll chart how those three minutes on the VMA stage, which we're supposed to tank her career, actually end up turning Madonna into the huge superstar we know that she is now. So please join us for that. This is in retrospect. Thanks for listening. Is there a pop culture moment you can't stop thinking about and want us to explore in a future episode. Email us at inretropod at gmail dot com or find us on Instagram at in retropod.
Speaker 5: If you love this podcast, please rate and review us on Apple or Spotify or wherever you listen. If you hate it, you can post nasty comments on our Instagram, which we may or may not delete.
Speaker 1: You can also find us on Instagram at Jessica Bennett and at Susie b NYC. Also check out Jessica's books Feminist Fight Club and This Is Eighteen.
Speaker 5: In Retrospect is a production of iHeart Podcasts and the Media.
Speaker 4: Larn Hansen is our supervising producer. Derek Clements is our engineer and sound designer. Emily Meronoff is our producer. Sharon Atia is our researcher and associate producer.
Speaker 1: Our executive producer from the media is Cindy Levy. Our executive producers from iHeart are Anna Stump and Katrina Norbel. Our artwork is from Pentagram. Our mixing engineer is Amanda Rose Smith. Additional editing help from Mary Do. We are your hosts Susie Bannacharum and Jessica Bennett. We are also executive producers. For even more check out in retropod dot com. See you next week.