Speaker 1: Of the Law and Order franchises. SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies. These episodes are based on.
Speaker 1: These are our stories.
Speaker 3: Done done, Yay, that's messed up.
Speaker 4: An sv podcast.
Speaker 1: My name is Lisa and I'm Kara, and every week we bring you an episode recap of SVU, a dive into the true crimes that it was based on. And sometimes we have interviews with people from the show and sometimes we don't, but up top we chat away catch up.
Speaker 2: And before we start, I do have to say I leave this week to New Zealand and Australia, So if you're in Auckland, Perth, Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, I'll be there too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm on out. I'm excited.
Speaker 1: Down Under, get with it, get your down Under. I cast shout all my upgrades. I will be laying down. It's a life. I can't even believe it's about to happen, doing like a twenty hour lay down exciting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's really a thrill because.
Speaker 1: That I feel like that's a that's that's really big news, that's you.
Speaker 2: It's like being in the cult finally pays off. It's like when you get to, like, finally have sex with the leader.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, my time has this flight, this flight is you finally fucking Keith Ranieri and I'm so happy for you. Yeah. Well, if you guys want to, like sometimes people tell us that they get bad ticket sites when they just Google, So go to that's messed up live dot com and then Lisa's web Like, Lisa's website is linked there and that has all her ticket links, so you can get legit ticket links and dates and time.
Speaker 4: There's no reason to be on the scam website.
Speaker 1: Guys, plenty of we're we're showing you the way. Also a flight thing, I did meet a listener in first class coming from Charlotte, So just a shout out to Nicole Talks Bravo. Well, at first she saw me have an attitude, and then I felt humiliated because my bag was moved without anyone asking me, and so I couldn't find my bag and she knew where it was, and I go, but why would they move it without even giving me a heads up? And then she was like I love the pod, oh god, oh god, and the James Gordon of that flight. Yeah, except you weren't making your wife do a bunch of work. No, no, But speaking of Bravo though, right before we came on, you were going to say something about Next Gen NYC. And I'm not watching it, but I still want to hear some thoughts because I am getting clips in case anybody doesn't.
Speaker 2: Well, this isn't even from the show. It's honestly crazier and it might entice you to watch. There's a guy, Charlie on the show if you're watching Sea and he sucks but crazy. I don't know if you remember the Italian tourist that was being tortured for a month and escaped from New York. He was on the scene of the crime. He was at that house. He was in the crypto torture house where they held a tourist and tortured him for a month, and he like, there's footage of him escaping and running out. Charlie was seen there.
Speaker 1: Okay, we have to back it up for a second. We have to back it up a couple of steps. Okay, so the first step is just to explain that there is a show on Bravo called Next Gen NYC. It's like Saved by the Bell, the new class. It's all it's a bunch of kids of Bravo people, but then also well known kids of other just like rich kids.
Speaker 2: The other rich kids are like cool New York kids, but this guy, Charlie is like, oh great, another housewife kid.
Speaker 1: Ugh, yes, God, and you wouldn't have a show. You wouldn't have a show. I saw that clip this morning, and it's like, but I also saw a clip with him being very microaggressive to Riley Burris. That clip was going around as well, and I'm like, who is he like, And of course I can't google, but I'm asking you who is he? Where is his connection?
Speaker 2: So his dad is like a succession kind of dad, like just a rich rich man, and the mom like kind of bounced and is like a hippie rock star woman. And he's just like, you know, he gets money from his rich dad and invests in crypto.
Speaker 1: Like he's wait, but here's something interesting because I did just google it that his dad is a private investigator.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's I don't know.
Speaker 1: I can't really, there's no way you can make that much money. Well, maybe it's all our collector. And then his mom's an art collector. We met his mom. His mom's a drug addict.
Speaker 2: I think maybe it's all funny, like not that you can't be an total elector without being un drugs.
Speaker 1: You actually can, you can actually do.
Speaker 2: A private investigator is totally I mean, it seemed like he's a finance guy, like business finance company.
Speaker 1: Charlie's the core. Yeah, yeah, no, Charlie is the kid. Yeah yeah. It says his parents are a private investor. I'm oh, my god, Lisa.
Speaker 4: It's investments.
Speaker 1: I knew it. It's private investor, and I was reading it. I know, I know, I know, but I just thought it was cool because we have a fucking crime podcast. I was like, neat, his dad's a private investigator. Oh, I'm sorry. I just like, don't hear the words private investor that much. He's like a private Okay, he's in a private investor. That's yeah, I'm okay, it's investments. Sorry, but it is kind of funny that I was like, no, no, no, he's got it in a.
Speaker 2: Car all day and like nobody got fired from the squad, you know what.
Speaker 1: Nick Kroll's parents level like not, but that's securities. That's not private investig that's like security. But it's like, but it's like, but it's investigating people too, so I thought maybe it was like that. But it's like the fucking Peter Tielgey. It's like securities, it's bond it's like it's insane. It's not like a p I, right, But I was just thinking upper echelon a high highest level. Okay, listen, my brain went to a crazy place. I just like did not know who this kid was, and I was like, he's acting really big for his puches on the show.
Speaker 2: He's like unwell, he's an unwell rich kid who like can't function with others, and right aways like, oh, you're trash. And it's like Arianna Berman's boyfriend is the Zaxby's chicken air, so you better put some respect on his name. But also Arianna is in a lovely relationship. It's beautiful to watch, Like they went to Jia's house and she like she's taking her clothes off to being a bikini and she turns to her boyfriend goes is my tampon string hanging out?
Speaker 4: And I'm like, oh, this is a real relationship.
Speaker 1: I'm proud of Aria, Like this is beautiful, And they brought laundry to Gia's because they're new to New York, like they're not used to this life.
Speaker 4: So they brought all their laundry to do laundry in Jersey.
Speaker 1: So I lie, so I ca' I saw, like, no, it's really great that.
Speaker 2: But Riley really stood up for herself in an incredible way and was like chill and amazing and like Charlie was being like so racist and so fucked apologized and later in the episode told other people, Oh, yeah, I didn't mean my apology. I didn't mean it. I just had to settle it like I didn't care.
Speaker 4: I don't care. And Damon Dash's daughter's in it too.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: It's like fun, it's fun.
Speaker 2: It's not you know, it's a nice chill out because Miami is so intense, the valley is so intense. And then like having twenty year old drama be about like, well, I guess the race.
Speaker 1: Stuff was like pretty fucked for sure, but yes, no, that was I thought it was like she was Riley calm and she was being so she was like so clearly communicating what her issue was, and he was just like yeah, but no, like I hate, like I hate that guy, and I literally settle, we could like relax and it's like, you know you he's straight up like did an impersonation of Riley talking to someone with the finger spinning his neck like ring like in a circle and moving his finger around. And then they cut to the footage and it's like none of that is obvious, like is happening?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: So and then she I love what she calls Candy and she's and she's like he did the finger wag and Candy's.
Speaker 2: Like, no, he did not, Like it's so good, Miami. He's incredible too, like Brava. I mean, summer is always a desert and stuff. But like they're they're trying. They're giving us some little there's giving us some goods.
Speaker 1: I feel, and I'm gonna be I'm gonna have a lot because I'm gonna have a lot to love hotel and next gen I'm gonna get into. But can we also now go to bitcoin torture house, which I have never heard of, And I literally just googled it that a month This happened a month ago. Obviously you live in New York, so maybe you're getting this kind of stuff more.
Speaker 2: I don't know why this didn't I of him running away. I mean things are happening so far. I mean I went on stage in Charlotte at like seven, and when I got off stage, Iran was bombed.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah yeah. Oh.
Speaker 2: Also, while I was on stage, a flying cockroach landed in my hair.
Speaker 1: Stop it, Lisa, stop it. You reacted while more to that than Iran being bombed, And well I knew about Iran being bombed. A flying congratulated in your hair? How did you even? Is it on tape? It is, I'm posting the clip.
Speaker 4: Don't worry. The clip's going up.
Speaker 1: The clip will be up the way. The clip has to be comedian destroys flying cockroach that tries to heckle her during set.
Speaker 4: What I'm definitely doing that.
Speaker 1: Comedian destroys cockroach heckler. Oh my god, I cannot that is Look, I'm not even like a scary bug person, because like I kill all the bugs in our house, but cockroaches are another yeah, another level. Yeah, it's really They're really in the South. Where you were in the South, Were they calling it a pal meadow bug? Were they trying to downplay it? Were you with a different name.
Speaker 2: They might have called it a different name, and then you know they're big things like it. It's the South, Yeah, I get, but it was definitely a wild, a wild thing. But I also, okay, I'm like embarrassed because in Atlanta flying cockroach landed on me as well.
Speaker 4: So it's like two cities in a row.
Speaker 2: So obviously I have to google what this means about my spirit. But I was at another comedian's pool. It was late at night after the shows, and we're sitting and I feel a bug land on my leg, but I go be mature, it doesn't matter, it's okay. Then it flies and lands on my arm and that's when I flip out.
Speaker 4: It falls in the pool and it's struggling. It's struggling.
Speaker 2: It's struggling, and it's like, no wonder cockroach just survived like the dinosaurs, like truly was struggling for so long. We finally couldn't look at it anymore, and so she went to go cover it with a leaf, but instead it used itself to like prop the other way and then swam then got out of the pool and then walked straight for revenge.
Speaker 1: That cockroach was making it. Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but so I wasn't even like, I mean, my hair was different. But yeah, I've had a cockroach on like every part of my body.
Speaker 4: While I was in the South. Yuck, yuck, yuck. Is right?
Speaker 1: Okay, But is it okay if we just really quickly touch on this fucking yes, we gotta get back to yes, yes, this okay. I'm reading a CBS news article that I just googled that it unidentified twenty eight year old man managed to escape from his alleged captors on May twenty third. This all happened like a month ago in Soho, bloodied and not wearing shoes. I mean, this is an SVU episode. People are constantly sending us SFU episodes to our dms. I don't know why I didn't get this guy, he told police, and two cryptocurrency investors, a thirty seven year old and a thirty three year old, have been charged with the kidnapping, on assault an unlawful prisonment. They're being held without that like what was their real like why wow?
Speaker 4: Oh, I don't know, torture but they.
Speaker 1: Are invest in our crypto invest Like what the hell were they just like drugged to the hilt and thought this was like gonna be fun. That is so nuts.
Speaker 4: It's nuts.
Speaker 1: They were threatening to have the man's family killed unless he paid them a bitcoin. Okay, so it sounds like there was a bit of a ransom situation happening as well or blackmail. Two weeks he was held as they thought him as they tried to get him to give up the password for his bitcoin wallet.
Speaker 2: Oh and that how that Wow? I wonder how much money was there that he wouldn't give it up? Yeah, because because bitcoin is not right, because then you would, well maybe they would.
Speaker 4: He thought they would kill him if he.
Speaker 1: Told Yeah, because once they have the information, what's.
Speaker 4: To keep in mind that.
Speaker 2: I'm like, because then you can get it back if you go to the whatever whatever. But I'm like, oh, then they have what they need.
Speaker 1: They put an air tag around his neck and told him if he left, they'd find him. It's like, okayal precincts. Hung him over the ledge of a building. Seems like they did a couple of stabler things. Hug him over the ledge of a building, hit him with a gun like, you know, pointed a gun at his head a bunch of times. But I guess it's like after a few days, you're like, if they're not going to go through with killing me, They're probably not going to kill me. Like maybe he just thought they forced him to smoke crack and they pissed on him. Oh my god, Oh my god. This is so it was. It was seventeen days. So you know this is going to be a season twenty seven episode. There's no way this is not a season twenty seven episode. I bet a writer the fashing. Yeah yeah, yeah. They're literally getting notes on the episode, and then they're going to arrest like the Charlie type figure while he's shooting a reality show.
Speaker 4: Like that's what we're gonna get to.
Speaker 1: Sources say that two NYPD detectives did private security work for the suspects, but there's no indication that they knew about the kidnapping. One of these detectives picked the guy up at the airport at the victim and brought him to the house, and one of the detectives was assigned on the security detail for Mayor Eric Adams. Oh.
Speaker 2: Also, if anyone needs something to do, congress Woman from Florida, Kat Camick, she got an abortion. She called the governor to save her life.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So if you guys want to call, I call DC today And he said you must be civil, and I go, what a civil?
Speaker 4: Mean bit? I call them fascist scum.
Speaker 2: But yeah, if you're in the mood, I think there are some You should go on her instagram.
Speaker 4: You should go on her instagram.
Speaker 2: And it's interesting, all the conservatives that are anti abortion, we are not seeing them in the comments.
Speaker 1: For some reason. They're not mad at her. Hmm, for some reason, she's not being attacked. But there's a DC office in Osal is it o'cat whatever at Gainesville.
Speaker 4: There's two offices in Florida.
Speaker 2: So call Camick and especially if you live in Florida and see why she thinks it's okay for her to get an abortion to save her life, but she's okay with her constituents bleeding to death. Fucking scum. These people are scum. I don't know how this even came out. I truly, like five minutes before we sat down to record, I saw it and I was like, I can make a call into the DC office.
Speaker 1: And oh I saw a photo. I saw a photo of her with an article like in my feet and was like, she looks very smug in the photo, Like she looks very like yeah, it's you know, that's the whole Republican thing is like what's good for me, not for thee or whatever, you know, Like they're fine with whatever they get gift for themselves. Like and uh, like my own parents are like that. When I talk to them, I'm like, my mom is like I love my mom to death, but she's like, I would have helped you get an abortion if you needed one, but I disagree with abortion. It's like what you know, like it doesn't make any fucking sense. I can't make it make sense, but you know, I feel like raging at someone. I literally have the people voting for Cuomo. It's like, are you guys honestly?
Speaker 2: I brought up Luigi again sorry on stage, and I you know, I said some fox up shit and the audience got weird, and I go, grow up.
Speaker 4: I'm like, are you guys crazy?
Speaker 2: He's being charged with terrorism but not the fucking gunman and Minnesota who killed people that work for the government, Like do you are you guys stupid?
Speaker 4: Like I truly like, are you guys stupid?
Speaker 2: And then some people clapped, and then some people were uncomfortable, but it was just like I.
Speaker 1: Don't know, I barely read. Why do I see it?
Speaker 4: Like I don't get I don't get it.
Speaker 2: I don't get the established I don't get being like, yeah, the government's not lying, everything's fine.
Speaker 4: Like I don't get it.
Speaker 1: I barely read. Oh man, I'm not gonna start, but we okay, we're not. There's gonna be an s few episode. We'll fucking cover it then.
Speaker 2: Sorry, you haven't gotten your little Karen Read fix here on this podcast. But she's free and we're happy about it, and you're what we're happy about it. I'm happy about it. I'm happy about it.
Speaker 1: Like I just what an insane I can't wait for there to be Like I watched the Karen Read documentary five part thing on HBO. I guess that was about like that was like Karen's behind it. But I really want someone to do like a comprehensive like everything documentary about the whole trial, the first trial, the second trial, the whole thing, because the second trial seemed like a fucking circus even more than the first. So but I'm glad that she's off. It's it was insane that she was even being charged with the charge she was getting. But she did get drunk driving, and that's true something she was doing and that's.
Speaker 2: Fine, but it's like all you cops, you couldn't even pin a crime on one dumb bitch, and like you know what I mean, like it's fun you're doing it, but like you couldn't even you had to google. Like you're the ones finding people an evidence and charging people and you couldn't figure out how to get Like fuck you God.
Speaker 1: I really have been over using the word scum. And I don't think there's I mean, I think it's great. I think it's your word of the moment, and that's totally fine. I Also, the thing that's crazy about these people is like, did I call.
Speaker 4: The DC office fascist scum? Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes, I go.
Speaker 4: I hope you don't sleep at night, you fascist scum.
Speaker 1: It's so funny because scum is such a bad word on the internet. Remember when our friend got banned from Facebook for just writing men are scum.
Speaker 4: Oh but that's yeah.
Speaker 2: But if you wrote, like something else's scum, I think it'd be fine. If you wrote democrats are scum, it'd be okay. Yeah, it was a men are because you couldn't say I hate men or all men's SuDS.
Speaker 1: And I thought the word scum was that. I was like oh scumbag, you know, like it's a word i'd stay in front of my kids practically, And I think some people think it's really.
Speaker 2: Distas the word on the Jersey Housewives that they were like so fucking mad at And I was like, I didn't even know that was a bad word.
Speaker 4: It was something so.
Speaker 1: Like bozo like it was, but it was like maybe it was rab it was. I googled it. I googled it. I didn't think of it. I googled, I wrote bad word all h O NJ really quick and I got a People thought O slob was so bad.
Speaker 2: Okay, but it's like, but I do I want to do just another timely thing. I watched Game seven, so you probably don't care, but it was the Pacers and the thunder were playing, oh, very young teams. I don't know if you saw this, but no one could really drink on the Oklahoma team and they didn't know how to open champagne and they didn't know what to do and so like no, like they needed help to open the bottles. One guy had his first beer ever and like grimaced, like they didn't know.
Speaker 4: How to party through. Oh my god, that's so funny.
Speaker 1: And it was cute to me. It's like you, but I bet they went to.
Speaker 4: A strip club after and like had tequila.
Speaker 3: Hope.
Speaker 2: But or it's just you know what we say that youth aren't really doing that stuff.
Speaker 4: But it's this young.
Speaker 2: Young team and no one really partied or knew how to party, just like sports dorks.
Speaker 1: But sports dorks. Well, but I went to a sports bar and I have to show you the mural that was there because I think you're gonna get a hoot out of it. Okay, hold on, so and you can explain it as you look at it. Actually, Okay, wow, this is wild. Okay. This is like a classic mural of like Jesus Christ, Like he's not on the cross, but his arms are splayed out welcoming with like the sort of sunshine panels in the background that's like very clear, like this is your Lord and savior Jesus Christ. And then over him is a soccer ball, a rugby ball, a baseball, a hockey puck just in like, and he's right next to a electric labat sign I mean that is.
Speaker 4: And you and there's a scroll in the score.
Speaker 2: The scroll says if sports were a religion, this would be heaven, but I had to bring up the thunder.
Speaker 4: Of course I.
Speaker 1: Think, yeah a lot, Yeah, yeah, this was fine, and uh, you know, then we have a horrific episode. Yeah, we have a horrific episode. This is uh this episode comes out July first, Happy fourth of July, everybody that could be our last one and uh, you know, let's get going. Okay today what a treat and also a nightmare. We are doing the episode Manhunt, which is episode eighteen from the second season.
Speaker 2: And well we got into this because I was in a hotel and SVU just came on as a marathon this episode and I was watching it edge of my CEA had no recollection of this.
Speaker 1: I had no recollection of it when I was watching it, but I know I've seen it, no, and then I I've watched it twice to get ready for this, and I still can't comprehend, Like I don't know why I will seep into my brain, so you know, I can't wait for this recap.
Speaker 2: But this was like fresh off because we both don't have memories of it. So it's like me watching TV being like we got.
Speaker 1: To do this. Yeah, it's like I know that the episode Parasites, which is one of my favorite episodes ever with the twins and like where they replace each other. We've done it on the podcast. That's the episode that follows this one, and like Countdown as a couple episodes before this, which is also a classic, the philipsy Moore Hoffman clown Party episode. I just don't understand how this one gaffigin What did I say? Oh my god, I need of course who I meant to say, but we have we're leaving it.
Speaker 4: No, no, let me leaving.
Speaker 1: That's leave it all right, leave it. I meant to say gaff again. I of course meant to say gaffagain. I was just thinking of a blonde man with like then they kept talking about how bad his teeth were, and it was definitely Gaffigan in my head. It was Gaffigan my mouth. The gaffagain was the he was the red herring. Anyways, The guy in the end wasn't gaff again, right right, It was a different guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, gaffagain played like a box picker upper, Yeah, like loading guy loading, and the main guy was Yeah.
Speaker 1: He had a bad teeth, because I don' think Gaffigan's teeth are bad anyway, Jim, if you're listening, I apologize, Okay, listen, Yeah, And it just takes makes no sense that like I would not remember man Hunt. I also love Gaff again famously, he did say no to the pod. We did, we did, We asked, we asked. I asked him personally and he said not at this time. But Manhunt is just it's the kind of episode I would love, Like I love when they're going after a ceial, a ceial anything, like I'm always into that. And I just I this was like a pleasure honestly to like kind of redo it because I was, like, no one I remember Finn and Munch going on a road trip. I don't remember a lot of these details, Like I could not figure out who did it? So okay, Manhunt Season two, episode eighteen. This airs April of two thousand and one, just a few short months before nine to eleven. As you know, we always have to put it in time. So this couple of people, they it's a guy and a girl. They spill out of this twenty four hour diner onto the cold New York City street and he's begging her like please, Anny, one drink, one little drink, and his whining is annoying he's like one little drink and she's like listen, she's being nice. She's like, I'm tired. I smell like fries. He's like, I like fries. She's like, it's a pass, babe. I just want to go in my bath, get in my bed, and snuggle up with my People magazine.
Speaker 2: And I love that for her. She walks off and he's like, oh, also, it's like, yeah, nothing is as sexy as someone.
Speaker 1: Begging fine getting together, dude, I'm like not hot. He's walking off and he's like, oh, I like fries. I'm such an idiot. Whatever, and then she walks in the opposite direction, and then he hears muffled screams as this girl Annie, who we've just been looking at, is getting forcibly thrown into a car, and he tries to help her. He's like, hey, Annie, get off of her, and then the kidnapper pulls a gun. He backs off. Then we proceed to see the saddest attempt I've ever seen in history on this show of two men trying to stop a crime, Like diner guy literally goes to like touch the kidnapper on the back gently, and then another guy runs up and goes let her go very flatly as the kidnapper just pushes him to the side and drives off. Like both of these guys are like wait, no, stop, and it's like they're just trying to rub the guy's jacket like they don't do anything. And then they both run after the car, yelling come back here. It's like get the license play. I don't know. They're just not even. They're both run after the car yelling come back here. It's not working, and we see them both like falling onto the ground. They can't even chase after the vehicle without falling. Okay, the diner and our protectors men are protectors protecting us. You know, the good thing that we had these two men there useless Honestly, the choreography of it was bad.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: They the diner guy, his name is Butch if you can believe it, the least Butch man I've ever seen on the show. The Good Samaritan is named Marty Khani. That just reminds me of pulp fiction. And uh, now and then is that not Hanka's area's name. I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Problems. Can I think of something that's not pop culture?
Speaker 1: Cinematrix Uh, well, this guy being named Butch is like funny to me. He doesn't look like a guy named Butch.
Speaker 4: Oh No, but that was Bud. Yeah, it separate names, but Bruce Willis's Butch.
Speaker 1: Do you want to hear something weird? I went to college with this guy named Alan normal, like the regular guy I knew. Suddenly, on all of his social media he's allan quote unquote Butch. Last name, I'm not gonna say last And I'm like, and people are on there going happy birthday Butch, like on Facebook and stuff, and I'm like, post the age of twenty two, I mean I saw him after college, post the age of twenty five. This man took on the nickname Butch at a butcher shop. No, he's like a corporate man. It makes no sense to me. I don't get it.
Speaker 4: DM him give a same time.
Speaker 1: I need to be like, what happened with the Butcha? I need to know, all right, so Finn gets the scoop from uh Munch.
Speaker 2: It's very castanza now that I think about it, because maybe he pushed Butch on people.
Speaker 4: I keep thinking.
Speaker 2: Maybe it happened naturally in a different thing, like he started playing volleyball. I don't know, right, It's like, if that was your why is it on all your social Like your social is usually for connecting to people that you like know from the past, and like, it's weird that that's like not what anybody was ever calling you in college or maybe it was a high school nickname that He's like, I'm going to get back into it.
Speaker 1: It's very confusing. Never heard of it until we were like in our late twenties and I see his post pop up and be like, but anyway, weird. So Finn gets to scoop from munch, who uh oh recognizes the em o of this girl getting kidnapped, right, there was chloroform found at the scene to knock her out like that, because you didn't.
Speaker 2: Really hear chloroform each other? Make people pay for a live stream. I want to know what it feels like. Does is it permanent brain damage or not?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Like, can you do just like a little bit where you get a little bit woozy and then or.
Speaker 4: Like, I bet people would pay to watch this chloroform each other.
Speaker 1: Weigh in. Let us know if you guys would pay them to watch us just do a gentle chloroforming of one another. But Jared has a really funny joke about chloroform where he talks about how like people have so many guns and they act like that's not weird. He's like, it's just weird that you have thirty guns, Like if I had, what if I just invited you over my house and I said, and this is my collection of chloroform soaked rags. I don't use it to hurt people. I just like to have it, you know. And they were just like hanging on the wall like you'd be like, that's fucking weird.
Speaker 4: So back to this, Yeah, we're really not getting far.
Speaker 1: The chloroform Munch is like the chloroform were in the cold open Yeah, oh yeah baby, or no, we're even we're not even past. So the chloroform, the ceiling of the of the girl off the street, like it all matches the same mo Last summer, a guy kidnapped four women the same way, raped and tortured them and left their bodies stacked in a warehouse. And Finn's like, oh, the Bowery Stalker. I know about that. So they go and they talk to Marty and Butch, who remembers a lot. Butch is like, I've maybe seen the guy in the diner a couple times, like I noticed a tattoo of a cat on his right forearm. And then the EMT interrupts and is like, we got to get him on the bus. And it's like they literally fell chasing a car. Like one of them has a bandage around his knee. You have to take him in the ambulance right now, Like I feel like I got a really cold right And then Finn is like, all right, how long do you think we have that the Stalker will keep this girl alive? And Munch goes until he's finished with her. Yikes, I hate dare Why no so credits And now the top of act one, we're at the precinct. This is, by the way, a Munch and fin focused episode, Like we get Benson and Stabler up top here a little bit. They're sprinkled, but we don't get a lot of them in this episode. This is we are testing the chemistry of Richard Belzer and Ic who have just become partners, you know, like Icy only joined in this season. So the Stalker they're filling in. Benson and Stabler are talking to Kragan, they're filling in Cabot. The Stalker hasn't attacked in a year. They thought maybe he went underground in walks Munch and he's like, they're like, you're late. He's like, I've been up all night interviewing witnesses. And they're like, well, the DA wants answers. This is a top priority for her. You can have warrants, labs, whatever you need. And he's like, why all the backup all of a sudden, And Cabot's like, oh, well, the DA just knows how elusive this guy's been. And Munch is like all paranoid. It's like, oh, because I didn't get him last time, is that why now you're trying to like help me. It's like whatever. Daddy Kraign tries to calm baby down, but he's annoyed. He's like, oh, well, if I'm the lead on this case, then why are you guys meeting without me right now? This is my case? And he's like you're still the primary, but you might need backup, and like our only agenda is catching this guy. And it's like even Munch gets caught up in the whole my case, my glory, territorial mail cop bullshit, you know, like Munch doesn't do this much later on, but here it's like we're seeing even this guy is like, wait, this is mine, when it's like, if you all just worked as a fucking team, you could just get it done. Munch walks and talks and fills cabin in on everything he knows about a year ago, this girl named Sarah Kimmel stumbled into a bar on Avenue, d naked, beaten and claiming that a man with a beard imprisoned her in an abandoned warehouse on Broom. When they raided the warehouse, they found a makeshift sell torture instruments and formutilated bodies, some partials, but nothing in the system. And uh. They stayed on the building for a month but nothing came of it, and this guy just vanished. So Finn busts in with some news about the tattoo. They got a hit a scale named Frank Tark Taggart on parole for assault and he works at the fish market. So I didn't I don't know where the fish market is. Is there a fish market down oh, South Street, Seaport? Probably? Okay, So they go down to the fish market and Finn is talking shit about how desperate you have to be to work at a place like this, and Munch is like, oh, I worked here as a kid, like and it's just so.
Speaker 4: Funny because he's like ough the.
Speaker 1: Fish market and Lunch is like, yeah, brings me back to my childhood. And Finn can't believe that Munch ever got any ass after working a shift in like a smelly fish dump all day, and Munch is like, yeah, two words aqua velva, a hot shower and some aqua velva. You smell like victim Oone who I had to google. He's a big band singer from the fifties. And you can always trust Munch to have his finger on the pulse with the references. Okay, So now there's a guy at the fish market who's never been happier to see Munch, and his name is Olivetti. Munch calls him olive and he's like Olive and he's like Munchie. They hug. They are childhood friends. So this guy Munch got out of the fish market job and became an s VU detective. Olivetti he stayed at the fish market forever and they're like, where's Frank Taggart. He points them to him, and uh, like, whoever is doing the fight choreography on this episode was out sick or something for this episode, because this guy like slow walks towards Finn, grabs Finn and just places him slowly on a table full of fish and ice. It's very not scary, it's not threatening. Finn probably should have been able to like defend himself, and then Munch pulls a gun and they've got this guy's dumb ass, but the whole thing is so slow. It's just like, I don't know, watch it again. It's really slow and bad. Finn's also pissed at the guy. He's like, now you've got my coat all fishy, it's a new coat. And then Munch again callback goes aqua velva, so well, now you know this guy also, like you didn't think assaulting a cop was going to get you brought in like you are. You've literally been in prison before, like you know how this works. So in interrogation, Munch and Finn are talking to Taggart about his tattoo and he's like, yeah, it's an original from Elmo's Tats on Eighth Street, and he's got an alibi from the night before he was working the door at Rusty's Bar and Finn tells Taggert, well, we like you for this kidnapping, and he's like, I was nowhere near that place of that kidnapping, and any witness who puts me there is lying. You kind of believe him because A Nope, they never catch the guy in the first five minutes of the show, so it's probably not him. But now they're filling in Kragan, and the bartender at Rusty says that Taggart did duck out around eleven, so he did have time to get to the diner, so his alibi is not even fully full proof. But the car isn't registered to him because they basically everyone has identified what they keep calling a four by four, but it's a pat it's like a SUV and that car there's no car registered to him, but he may have stolen it. They're gonna put this guy in a lineup for the witnesses, and they're like, go get Sarah Kimmel, go get the victim who got away, Go get the girl. Let's re traumatize her. And Munch doesn't want to do it. He's like, I don't want to fuck with this girl. This guy fucked her up, like traumatized her, like she was escaped and wanted into a bar naked and beaten. Come on. But Craigan's like, you know how it works, buddy, you gotta do it, so now. Butcher's at the lineup and he's like, I don't I don't know if I see him. I really only noticed the tattoo and the gun. And when I was watching the scene, he's not wearing anything over his face, is he like, when the guy takes.
Speaker 2: Her, I told you, I don't remember anything. I'm sitting in in my seat.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I thought it was like weird that you didn't look at his face at all. But anyway, and so he he's like, all I focused on was the tattoo and the gun he was holding on me. And then Marty Potter comes in there and erroneously identifies a cop. He's like, how around, Oh, yes, okay, Richard in Chicago. I can't believe you just used that word. I did a dance in school in my Dan's clause one time to a song that Moses supposes his toses or roses, but Moses supposes erroneously, and that's how I know that word and how why I say it all the time. But he erroneously says it's number five, number five, and number five is a fucking cop who's in the lineup as a as a plant. So now Sarah bad's for sex. Now you have this girl taken, and now you can't even get a look at the guy's face. You brush your hand against the vicens, play anything, nothing, just staring at the tattoo. So and he's like, I think I might have seen him in the diner. It's like, if you saw him in the diner, you would kind of know what his face looked like. I don't know. So now it's up to Sarah the victim, and either in an office at the precinct. Sarah looks nervous. She doesn't want to id this monster. And Sarah Kimmel's played by Anna Bellknap, who was actually just in a season twenty four episode called A Trauma and a Pear Tree, which I think is the episode where Rollin's and Creasy get married. But I don't know what the plot of that episode is because it's in a more recent season and I tried to find it but I couldn't. But I wanted to give you one little fun tidbit. She is married to the man who wrote the Emoji movie. I thought you would like that because I know you like the Emoji movie too, so Anna bell Knap. So Sarah is telling Munch like, I have to keep my lights on, like and he's like, oh, we're not going to let him hurt you. This guy's not gonna hurt you anymore or whatever, and she's like, I have to sleep with my lights on because I think I see him in my apartment. Like I'm twenty eight and I'm living on disability because I can't leave the house. Don't tell me he can't hurt me, you know. And Munch is like, all right, well he might have someone else, like he might have another victim, And that's what kind of convinces her to do it. So in the room at the lineup, she gets really upset. She's trembling, but then she turns to Munch and goes, he's not there. She's crowned through t She's like, he's not there, He's not in there, which is probably making her scared because that means he's still fucking out there. Munch and Finn take her home, and Munch is mad because he's like, I didn't want to have to bring her in. But I would also say that if you guys suspect that this killer is back on the loose, you'd put a uniform on her house. She's the only surviving victim, Like, she's the only person that could actually like id him if he does get brought in, So wouldn't you protect her? Like he's back in the city where she was attacked, Like, but they just drop her off at her house, and Ben Munch is pissed, Like, but it's like lighting a fire under him that they want to get this guy. Finn suggests that maybe Taggart's tattoo from Elmo's wasn't as original as he thought it was. So now they're at the tattoo shop and I'm calling the guy Elmo. It's not his name, but the guy who is the tattoo artist at Elmo's. He is a huge fan of the tattoo. But he's like, but it's not my work. He's like, it's gorgeous art, but it's not mine. A guy brought it in last summer on a sketch and asked me to do the tattoo, and he left me this sketch as a bonus, as he thought my work was so good. He's like, I've done him on a few other people, but I could count on one hand how many most people are into goth these days, he says. And he doesn't. He's like, I don't really keep names and addresses of my clients. It's not really that kind of operation. And but he can immediately describe every single person he's given that specific tattoo to a guy with a cat on a leash, a woman wrestler, a guy who smells like rotten fish, and then the guy who brought in the sketch, who was a huge guy with a beard.
Speaker 2: And this is so SVU to me because this guy is like like if I was getting a tattoo while someone was being talked to by the police, I'd be like, you guys could finish your comvo, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: But he's like he's like putting it out, he's like getting to work on the I'm like, just take a moment. I can't believe the guy didn't complain, like so classic s yeah, I understand even lugging boxes or making drinks by like actively tattooing, right right, And like I don't know who would be like I don't want to hear what's going on with the cops in this juicy investi gation right now, just get my tattoo done, like i'd be like I want to listen, you know.
Speaker 4: But he.
Speaker 1: Says that the guy that brought in the sketch said that the Bobcat was like a platoon his platoon's name, mascot or something in the service. And this guy truly never forgets a goddamn thing, Like he has so many details about this sketch. And he tells them that they can take the sketch with him. So now we're talking to a tech who does not make as big of an oppression as like a Bert Trevor. And he's managed to get a couple of prints off the sketch, and one set of prints belonged to Elmo and the other belonged to John Doe. And he ran that those John Doe prints through the system and got a hit on Darryl R. Kern, who was dishonorably discharged from the military in nineteen ninety nine, right around when the original attacks started. So now a whole team is there and they bust into this guy's apartment. It's like the full tactical open up NYPD. They bust in there. This loser's got guns, knives, weapons, all this kind of shit mounted up on the wall like a little shrine to his tiny dick. And Finn says something like he's impressed by it, but I can't tell if it's sarcastic or not. But you know, early Finn, they hadn't had they didn't have him fleshed out yet he was like cool guns, Like I don't know. So they're like, check out his easy pass bill. So now we're at the precinct and Munch and Finn are filling inventson and Sabler, and this guy basically takes the same route all the way, all the time, back and forth to upstate New York. Like not the fucking Hudson River Valley. We're talking to Utica. We're talking way up there in the top of the state, near the Canadian border. And this guy drives a ninety two pathfinder which matches the car that's been described for taking Annie. And then two days after he makes the trip up there again, if you're a serial killer, you're probably not using an easy pass. But whatever, I'm again not here to give people tips and tricks. My dad won't get an easy pass because he doesn't want the government tracking him.
Speaker 2: So Dad takes your family garbage to the dump. He's obvious unhinged.
Speaker 1: But even he in his paranoia and he's not committing heinous murders, doesn't use an easy pass. I mean, you know, it's so insane. I just got one, my first one actually as a fuck you, So now I can get to the airport really quickly. So two days after he takes that route up there, he takes the same route back. And they know this because they've got all this easy pass record, and they figured out that like seven women have gone missing within days of these trips, both like the outbound and the inbound trips to New York. So Daddy Craigan is like, boys, pack your bags, you're going up north. So then when we see a car pulling into small town upstate New York, and Munch and Finn are bickering like an old married couple. Like Munch doesn't like Finn's driving. He feels sick because he was driving so bad. And now they're in Walden Falls, New York, and boy, oh boy, the locals are pumped. The secretary goes chief the detectives from New York City are here, Like she's psyched. She's like, tell me about Broadway and the chief is like, oh, hi, boys, you want like a soda pop or something like this guy is. We've seen this man in so much stuff. His name is Adam Lefev. He is so familiar. He's got one hundred and forty plus credits. He's been in three other svus, He's been in a bunch of episodes of Original Recipe. If you google him right now, Adam Lefev, like, you'll be like, he I've seen him in so many things. He's just like a character guy that you see all the time. He's so small town upstate New York police chief. He's like, oh, boys, okay, let's get going. So then they ask him about Darryl Kern. He's like, well, I've never heard of him, and I know everybody in this town. And you're like, okay, yeah, I don't think the serial killers that flee up to your town like check in at the precinct when they get there, and then they are going to have Officer Cheryl Baxter. She walks in. She's gonna help them out, and they're like She's like you guys want to settle in or hit the gas station first, and they're like, we don't actually need to like go unpack at our hotel. We could go just get this guy. So they go to the gas station. The guy who works at the gas station, he can't really identify a photo of Annie, but he's like, uh no, but the guy that you're looking for, he likes to hunt because he spent a lot of time over at Jordie's Guns and Ammo, which is right across the street. So now they're at Jordi's Guns and Ammo, and the guy there goes, oh, yeah, that guy that's Arnold Cokeley looking at a picture of Darryl Kern. And this guy Jordi is being very Cagy, classic gun salesman to a enthusiast, you know, like just completely like uh was illegal to have guns? Like why are you guys asking all these questions? And then he's like they're like, uh, you got to give us his file, and it's like he kind of protests, but he knows he's gonna have to, so he just goes and gets it. And now before sharing his opinion that the government is up everyone's ass and it's beginning to be like Russia around here, and Munch is like, Russia's a democracy now, and he's like that's what I mean. And it's like, I don't know if anything makes sense that you're talking about, sir, but he hands over the file on Arnold Cokeley. So back at walden Falls PD, Finn is impressed that they have all their files computerized because they don't have that at SVU yet and walden Falls is like, they probably don't have as many crimes, but they're all on a computer system, and then Munch pops in with some hot goss. Arnold Cochley and his wife went missing from Tribeca five months ago, and someone is using his ID to buy weapons, which means that now the ATF is getting involved, and Baxter tells them, well, we have no match for property under the name Cochley or Kern, and they're like, well, check the names of all the other people who have gone missing along this route that we've discovered, right, which feels like there would be way more people missing from New York City than just like a couple, like than even seven, but whatever, And so we cut to Munch and Finn sharing a shitty hotel room in Upstate New York. This is like the precursor to when Live in Rollins are having their cute little girls wine night, but then they discovered that there's a camera behind the mirror. This is the way earlier version, and it's Munch and and they are pissed that they have to be in the same room together. Finn is like, God, when I was in narcotics, we got cool apartments. I got put up in the West Village once, like when I was undercover. And then he's like, then I had to go home to my tiny shoe box in Brooklyn, and I was bumping into the furniture because I was used to the lap of luxury. And Munch goes, wow, eight months of the cold shoulder, and now I can't shut you up, which is funny, and he asks Finn, like, why did you leave narcotics. He's like, my partner took a bullet that was meant for me, and it took all the fun out of it. We later find out who that partner is when he goes kind of a little bit cuckoo and start sniping people. Or no, it's not even him, it's his daughter. Remember it's not him, it's his daughter. They think it's him. It's his daughter, and he asks much why did you leave Homicide and he's like, well, after my last marriage broke up, I came back to New York from Baltimore. As we all know, Munch is one of the most featured characters in multiple shows. He was in homicide, Life on the Streets and which took place in Baltimore, I believe, right. And then when he came back to New York City after that marriage broke up, SVU was the only place that had space for him, and he thought it was going to be all great, but living victims fuck you up, you know. And then he gets a phone call. It's Stabler and basically they found out that going through kerrn stuff, they found blueprints for a bomb shelter that was drawn up by a contractor in walden Farms, New York, in this little town that they're in. So he calls Baxter and is like, find the contractor, have him meet us at the precinct in twenty we're burning the midnight oil here in Walden Falls. So when they get to the Walden Falls precinct, the g sure you bet you a police chief is facing off with the Fed and they're as usual, two men having a pissing contest over jurisdiction, and the Fed's like, you're in over your head and the guy the they're like, this guy has a lot of firepower. And then Munch busts in and says, whatever, this FED is full of shit. And it turns out this guy's name is Gus Stone from the ATF, and he's like, step aside. And then Stone is like, you know, we have a warrant for Kern's arrest, and Munch is like, well, I have a lead in a case that could save a woman's life, So who takes precedence. The ATF just decides to kind of back off for the moment. Now they're looking at the blueprints. The contractor is there. He goes, yeah, this guy asked me to design a bunker for Armageddon and the race Wars, which is I know that there's been doomsday preppers for a long time, but this episode is from two thousand and one. Like that was pretty early to be getting on the doomsday prepping bandwagon, you know. I feel like that was later in the odds that that became a more widespread part of like the culture.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, for.
Speaker 2: Sure, but I'm thinking, like everyone every generation thinks like their world like the end is near. So I wonder if people were prepping in like the eighteen hundred or whatever, like religious nuts exist, sure, but part of the culture, I think, like, yeah, when they started putting it on, like A and E and thel Buckers and like, but now Cold War Cold War people had bunkers.
Speaker 1: The Mansons talked about the race wars. I mean that's what the Mansons were warning about, a race war like that was that's been going on forever. It's just making a bunker, like I know, the Cold War.
Speaker 4: There was a episode.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, so I'm wrong, I guess I just think, like, no, I'm with you.
Speaker 2: But yeah, the guys the bomb shelter stuff, I think suring Cold war stuff people had those.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so anyway, this guy made it for him. He goes, Yep, sure did make this total wacko guy a bomb shelter.
Speaker 2: What I did learn is, even if those bomb shelter people were onto something and the world is obviously fucked, you don't want to spend time with them.
Speaker 1: No, I don't want them to be the last one surviving where they going to repopulate the earth. With all the people that thought to make a bunker. I don't think so, but this contractor goes, yes, I built this guy a bunker, and I built it ten miles away. So now everyone has decided they're gonna work together. They're gonna get all their guys together and nail this sick fuck. So now we've got lots of cops in the snowy woods surrounding a cabin. Okay, they slam the door, the guy's door open. It's very dramatic, but the guy's not there. But then the chief finds a cellar door. Munch goes down the cellar steps and done done. In a very very sad way, there is a dead woman lying in a pool of blood on the floor and it is Annie, and Munch says, kneels down and goes sorry Annie. And then they flash their flashlights on the wall and it is filled with torture equipment chains, Like it's fucking sick, and it's just awful because it's like it's possible that they were hours away from saving her, you know, like it doesn't look like she's been there for a ton of time. So cut to commercial on that gorgeous note, and when we come back, tons of bodies wrapped in plastic on the snowy ground. The troopers and all these people are digging up more. They've already found fifteen bodies buried in shallow graves, including three kids. They think Kern pulled out maybe an hour before they got there, and Finn thinks somebody must have tipped them off. So Monch is talking to the Emmy at the crime scene and she's pissed. This is like the Emmy up in Walden Falls, and she's like, no, I could have gone my entire life without seeing this shit that I just had to see, and you guys brought it to my doorstep. This woman had contusions, broken bones, bruises, I mean, penetration with a foreign object, and then he blew her face off with a forty four. So this man is like an absolute psychopath who's just like enjoying torturing women. And then they found something in the cabin that Munch needs to see. And they find this book and it's like an operational manual and it's but it's been it's like it's like a diary almost, and the last entry was dated yesterday and it says position compromised as long as the worm stays in the apple, rendezvous at the extraction point, operation terminated, Like it's written in all this kind of military language, but it's hand and like by this guy, they think. And Baxter, the woman cop from walden Falls, is like he must have had an accomplice. And they, you know, they all put their big brains together and they're like, the worm in the apple means they're headed back to the big apple, great decoding, great work back at SVU. The whole handbook thing they say, is written in pseudo military speak. And he calls the accomplice is always called the worm. He calls himself the Eagle. And essentially what they've discovered is that this guy kills. The reason why there are kids discovered is because he'll kill an entire family just to get their credit card to like keep going on his little mission here. He killed a plumber from Brooklyn for that cabin, so that cabin belonged to this plumber from Brooklyn, I think named Ernie. And Craigan is like this or they say the accomplice must be an army buddy if this is how they're communicating with this, like he must be an army buddy, so Craigan uses his military connects to get them some info. Now they're talking to some military guy who's like, yeah, the Bobcat like a platoon that this guy was in. They're elite special tactical ops. But Kern he spent most of his time in the kitchen. And they're like, we thought he was a weapon specialist and they're like, no, Basically, it basically seems like Kern was a psycho who came to the military because he liked to kill things. And he says that the final straw was like, there was a squirrel who used to hang out by the mess hall and at some point Kern killed it, skinned it, and then tried to put the meat of it into a stew to feed everybody. And he was sent to the brig for psychological testing and was diagnosed with antisocial personality disorder and pronounced unfit for duty. And did he hang out with anybody? They said, They're like, ah, this one guy who delivered dry goods to the mess hall. He worked out of a company. He worked at a company out of Brooklyn. So now they're at Magoo's vending company literally what it's called, and a manager tells them that Marvin. Oh yeah, he's one of my best guys. He's not working today because he has national goals. And they're like, oh, he's a weekend warrior, and he's like, yup. And then they go, did anyone mention that today's Thursday? Like he shouldn't be He wouldn't be working today if it's like his weekends, you know. And so the boss, the boss goes over to some guy and goes, hey, nu'mb nuts, you gotta smoke a whole pack or finish your run sometime today, like because the guy's smoking cigarettes and I just I love a guy like this. And he's like, I can give you Marvin's address, but I think he's in the wilderness somewhere. So they give him the address, They get his address, they surround his house, and this is like the third swatting of the episode. So I really have my fingers crossed that this one's gonna work out. They knock on the door and just as they're about to you know, bust down a third door and old lady opens the door and she's like, oh, hello, Marvin isn't here. He left this morning, are you guys? Friends of his? So now they're inside talking to this lady. She's bringing him tea and she's like, I'm Marvin's aunt Mary. His mother died when he was a child. Want to know how his father beat her to death with an iron because he didn't like the way she did his shirts. So that's Marvin's origin story. And she's like, he's always been a loving boy. And then she goes he's with the Green Berets, and we know Marvin is not with the Green Berets. He delivers for Magoo's vending, but he can't tell his aunt that he needs to live a life of glory in her eyes. Now she's whipped out a photo album and she's showing pictures of him and they're like, oh, there he is with his friend Darryl, and holy shit. The plot twist is that Marvin is fucking Marty the good Samaritan who tried to chase down the car, Like he wasn't trying to stop the car, he was trying to get in it when he was running after or like you know, but he did come up and go hey, come back here, stop or whatever, but maybe it was like all in ask the other guy was okay, wow, yeah, And what I didn't recognize at the beginning, either about this guy who was playing Marty when he was getting questioned or whatever. Is that he is the actor Paul Sparks who I recognize from tons of shit. He's in like thy episodes of House of Cards. He's the one that has an affair with Robin Wright pen the first lady in the House of Cards. And he's in that show The Better Sister that you just watched, and he's in Physical He's in like a lot. This man works a ton. What's the name, Paul Sparks. So now they're leaving this old lady's house and Munch is furious. He's like, we had this guy in our precinct and we didn't know it, Like we had this accomplice. And Finn gets a call that the state police found the Pathfinder outside of Walden Falls, and uh, supposedly a bald, clean shaven man got out and then carjacked a mother and a kid and took off. So this guy that they've all been looking for, a guy with a beard, he's obviously shaved fugitive style to you know, avoid detection. So back at has Few, they're brainstorming this guy's probably headed to Canada with these hostages. They're now trying to trace the phones that Kern and Marvin have been contacting each other with, and they can see that they're headed to the border, and Munch calls state police, and you know they're going to try to head these guys off before they make it over, or at least Kern, they're going to try to head him off before he crosses the border. So Munch and Finn are headed back on the road, but this time they're headed to the border.
Speaker 4: Baby.
Speaker 1: They spot two cars outside of a farmhouse and they think they can surprise these guys inside if they're there. Fourth time of the show, fourth time in one episode. Cops are surrounding this place. Okay, they spread out, guns drawn. It's atf it's state troopers, it's truly all of the law enforcement branches working in harmony. They like bust into the house and I don't think they're finding anything. Munch takes the shed. When he opens the shed, what does he find our good samaritan Marty slash accomplice Marvin strung up, bleeding out, and he's got two cell phones taped to his shirt. So this guy has been fucking with the NYPD and now he's just killed his accomplice to get away. Munch is having a full temper tantrum. He's kicking shit, he's yelling, son of a bitch. He does not like being played for a fool, and Finn explains, look, he still needs that mother and the kid, so like you know, and then Finn gets a call and the ATF is explaining, look, we've got an APB out for this guy, the borders on alert for him. And then Finn reports back from his phone call that it's like a freaky, deeky Robert Durst like a story. This guy just got busted for shoplifting in Mallory Town. Like you've committed all these horrible crimes and now you're gonna get busted shoplifting. It's wild, but that's exactly what happened to Robert Durst. So yeah, So Mallory Town is right over the border, and now the cops are in Ontario and Cabot is there as well, and they're like what are you doing here? And she's like, I'm here to serve an extradition warrant and Munch is like, let me talk to the hostages, like the mom and the daughter that they they found with him. The mom looks on edge. Okay, She's like, get me out of here. I want to get to the hospital when my daughter wakes up like I've been through hell. And finally she tells them what like the details. He had a knife when he abducted them. He threatened to kill her daughter. Then at the farmhouse where they just were, he asked an old lady for directions and when she turned her back, he cut her throat. And then the woman says, then her husband came running out and he cut his throat before he could even say anything. So she just watched this guy murder an old couple that lived in a farmhouse, you know, upstate in the in a blink of an eye. So she's traumatized. Then she says, Marvin Slash Marty showed up and he took him to the garage. She said she heard screams and then Kern came back covered in blood. He changed and told them to get into the farmer's truck that they were going to Canada. She starts crying. She's like, he said he was going to kill both of us, and he said that the police were so stupid that they would never find him, so Munch is even more pissed about this, like who cares about finding out that there's even more dead bodies? We are furious that he thinks the cops are dumb and that he is smarter than them. So now we're outside chatting. It's Munch, Finn and Cabot, and Finn points out that this guy gutted his partner when he was alive, Like the screams imply that this guy was like tortured alive, and you know now he's obviously murdered. He might be setting the grounds for an insanity defense, they think, because that's so cruel and unusual. They can't imagine that somebody saying would do that, And Cabot tells them a confession would really help them with the extradition, and Munch is like, let me get a run at this sky, and I want to do it alone, So here we go. He gets in there and he immediately insults the guy for getting busted shoplifting. He's like, what are you like an amateur? And the guy playing Kern is R. E. Rogers, who even crazier than I don't remember this episode is Tommy Callahan, the cop who gets fucked up on the malaria drugs in Goliath and starts attacking people and stuff. Remember we just did that episode with Amy Landecker. He was the one married to her. He's an OZ guy. He's an A yeah, and he's an OZ guy. It looks like he stopped acting a while ago. But I'm just surprised that I wasn't like, oh, yeah, he's the murderer in Manhunt, like you know what I mean. Like, so this this Manhunt episode is just honestly was hiding in the recesses of my brain and it's fucked up.
Speaker 2: And there's so many elements you know, like yeah, road trip, torture, missing women, carjack.
Speaker 1: So many swattings, like literally for swattings.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: But Munch is like trying to get info out of this guy and he's trying to play him right, He's like, Wow, it's just crazy. Everybody just wants to focus on all your mistakes, like he you know, he's appealing to this guy's sense of superiority, this guy's sense of perfectionism, like that he did everything right. And then he's like what mistakes, well, what mistakes And he's like, I mean, you're caught, bitch, what do you mean? Yeah, And he's like Sarah Kimmel, like how about her? Like you fully let a girl go, like one of your victims got away. And he's like that was Marvin's fault, like he was I had to go to work and he fucking let her out by accident or something. But I kept him around because he served a purpose. He's the one that got me. Ernie slashed the cabin like, so he confesses to murdering Ernie the cabin owner. He confesses to grabbing the koch LEAs off the street and then essentially torturing the wife for a few days and then killing both of them so that he could use their ID to buy weapons and stuff. And then Munch just asks him point blank how many and he's like, we already found eighteen of them, and the guy scoffs and he's like there's so many more and he's like, well, then, how many And he's like, I won't tell you. I'm not going to tell you, and Munch minch and Munch flips out because this guy's fucking with him, right. He flips out, and he's like, I've been one step ahead of you, guys since you found the warehouse. Are you kidding? I thought about you every time I took another victim, and when they were screaming for mercy, I had a little laugh at your expense, Like I'm laughing at you right now because you think you've won. And Munch is like, yeah, lol, I'll be laughing all the way to the electric chair when they stick a needle in your arm or whatever. But Kern knows the law. He goes Canada won't extradite on capital offenses unless the death penalty is waived. Maybe they didn't teach you that at the academy, but it's like, still, you're confessing to all these crimes and you're going to get life in prison, so that's better, I don't know. Munch is pissed and is asking Cabin about it, and she's like, yeah, Canada has gotten stricter about that. They don't want America killing people, so they're not sending extraditing people. And then she's like, why don't you just let me do my job? So now ooh la la, we are in Canadian court arguing all about it, and a judge is like, well, don't you think that Canada's just going to become a safe haven for absolute psychopaths, murdering freaks to come. They'll just run over the border and then go, you can't let me back if they're gonna kill me, you know. And Cabot's like, yes, listen, I totally understand your constitutional rules. I understand that you guys have this policy, but it doesn't apply here. We are not extraditing him for murder. We are extraditing him for the theft of a vehicle. They are extracting him for stealing the farmer's truck. And also they could probably extradite him for kidnapping, like these people, that's not a death penalty crime per se, but since the value of the car is more than five thousand dollars, this qualifies for extradition under Canadian law. And I love when Cabot. I love when she finds a way and she's like, so basically, babe, we're only petitioning on that stolen property charge. And the Canadian lawyer is like, give me a fucking break, Like this is bullshit. They're trying to circumvent our laws and as soon as they get him over the border, they're going to charge him with capital crimes and who cares, right, And the lawyer earlier had said something like, I can't speculate as to what may or may not happen. And so now the judge goes, well, I can't speculate as to what may or may not happen, and he grants the extradition take that psycho so that they bring this guy back to the US, and he walks slowly towards Munch like gets you know. Finn arrests him for the murders, and then he gets kissing distance away from Munch, who goes welcome home, Darryl, and then they take him off and he thanks Cabot, you know, for figuring this out. And then in the last scene, Munch goes to the apartment of Sarah Kimmel and he just wants to let her know that she can turn her lights out tonight. And that's dick Wolf babe.
Speaker 4: He truly is the male Marishka.
Speaker 2: I would say in terms of care for victims, he really, like, this isn't the first. I mean, it might be the first of season two, but he like goes above and beyond with these cases, and he really cares about them, and he makes these he wants people to feel safe and he goes above and beyond.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean he did think that girls that were being sex trafficked were possibly part of a Mickey Mouse fan club. Remember, But he also I would say he has connection. It's like he's very connected to the woman, the actress Jennifer Esposito's character, Marley Mattlin's character, this woman, like he.
Speaker 4: Has anyone with schizophrenia.
Speaker 1: Yes, anyone that reminds him of like a story of a neighbor girl back home who he never told the cops that something was going on with her and she died or whatever. Like he yes, you know, he's got good connections with who he's got connections with, and that's and he will, I will. I give him that. That's good, like cause they give Finn a little bit of that, but not totally. They give Stabler a little bit of that, but not as much. I think they give the most to Benson. And the next up is much for sure. Yeah, right now, I can't wait for you to tell me about how psychotic these crimes are because I have been seeing these cases that I'm seeing the first one that you're gonna cover. I've been seeing these names forever and I don't know I don't think I know about these at all.
Speaker 2: Okay, So it's about two cases, and one of them is like eight things are exactly like the episode, like it's really wild, no, like so many little things too.
Speaker 4: And then then the second one is.
Speaker 2: Connected because of the gruesomeness and stuff, and I was trying to maybe split them so it wasn't like back to back horrors. But no other episodes have these crimes, so we're gonna have to hear both of them at once. But okay, so the first one is Leonard Lake and Charles ng and they're the two most like infamous serial killers of the twentieth century, is what something said.
Speaker 1: But it's like, well, we don't know them. Well, why don't they have little names? Then why aren't they called the so and so killers? Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like these are the most well in terms of their crime, they're horrific. But it's like, stop making these No, we barely know them. I'm sure people listening do not know these guys. Lake was obsessed with nuclear holocaust survivalism, so he moved to a cab in an unincorporated area in the in Calvaries County, which is about seventy miles northeast of Stockton, if like you're in the area, but it's the Bay Area, right, And this is after he was given a medical discharge after being diagnosed with a personality disorder from the military. So Ding Ding ding SV it's a military guy personality disorder cabin Honestly, you can make a bingo board of the episode. You would be yeah, you would have the board filled.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So he's also classic in terms of like killing small animals, being obsessed with porn, being obsessed with abusive sex. So he had like all the makings of a bad guy. And then Charles was born in Hong Kong and he's a kleptomaniac. That's I don't know why I keep doing earhorns. This is like sad.
Speaker 1: But anyways, he is addicted to stealing, and that goes into your episode of like why would you go steal?
Speaker 4: And he's a coed Yeah, yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: He came to the Bay Area under a student visa to attend Notre Dame de Demir. I don't know, I can't say Dinimore whatever. It's in Belmont, California. It's a Catholic college. He was an academic failure and failed out of school and then he got a fake ID to join the Marines. But in nineteen eighty he was busted first allegedly but he was stealing weapons from a military base and he went on the run. And so in the early nineteen eighties Lake meets up with this Charles guy. They both had ties to the military, and they became an unlikely duo of crime.
Speaker 4: Oh no, some more military stuff.
Speaker 2: So their victims were mostly like acquaintances and people they met through classified ads. So like Lake's neighbor Lonnie Wayne Bond and his girlfriend Brenda Sue O'Connor, and their one year old son, Lonnie Bond Junior all went missing, and then their friend Robin Scott Stapley went missing. They eventually found Bond's car on Lake's property. And then two of their victims were teenagers that attended a school where Lake's former wife worked as an aide. And I was very annoyed by the New York Times because they wrote about this going two of the women were girls, and I had mentioned this previously, but it's like, no, no, no, they're not women, they're teenagers, right, teenagers, right?
Speaker 4: Kids?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: Girls?
Speaker 2: Like we talked about this with sex crimsers like underage women, no their teens, their girls stop like fucking helping molesterers.
Speaker 1: New York Times. Two of the women were girls.
Speaker 2: It's nuts teenagers and this is the eighties, I guess, all right. So they killed the men quickly and would dump the remains in a mass grave by the cabin. The men were mostly bound, gagged and fatally shot. They would also kill the babies immediately and any infants like they killed everyone, but they would keep the women. And then they would keep the women though for prolonged torture before killing them. And it was a lot of you can imagine bondage, sadism stuff.
Speaker 4: They held their victims in.
Speaker 2: A remote one and a half acre seer in Nevada fence compound about one hundred and fifty miles east of San Francisco.
Speaker 4: There was a bunker.
Speaker 2: There were three rooms, two of them behind a hidden doorway, one hidden locked room with furnit like that was furnished like a cell with a bed covered with a foam pad and a plastic bucket and a roll of toilet paper, so like grim Grim. The building had a secret entrance with peep holes two way mirrors which the police believe women victims were like unknowingly being videotaped, but the least of their problems. They videotaped them tormenting the women and then binding the scared women and using them as sex slaves before the murder, so they incriminated themselves.
Speaker 4: They taped it all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the jurors this is jumping forward, but jurors were shown the tapes of one woman pleading in vain for the men to spare her husband and baby while ing cut off her shirt and bra with a knife in front of the camera.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: This is like truly horror movie shit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and this is jumping out as well.
Speaker 2: But like his big defense was like Lake made me do it, And then they showed the video being like, seems like you were pretty into it.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: The videotape equipment belonged to Harvey Dubbs, a San Francisco freelance video producer who disappeared with his wife, Deborah, and their sixteenth month old son. So that's another parallel to the episode. They would like murder, kidnap, take people, and then take their stuff. So then they used Dub's credit card to purchase dinner after the family disappeared, and like one of the victims of the tape was Sue O'Connor, Lake's neighbor girlfriend I mentioned earlier. So like the tapes helped them identify victims as well in the future because the remains were hard to identify, and so, like a lot of them, tape ended up helping figure out who these people were. They were caught in nineteen eighty five because of Ing's obsession with stealing. Yeah, so Lake was in the car and Ing stole an item from a hardware store in South San Francisco. So Ing escaped, but then they caught up with Lake who was in the car, and then they found a gun in the car as well, and like that was registered to one of the missing people. But once Lake was caught and arrested, he killed himself. Wow, he swallowed a poison after his arrest on the shoplifting charge. So while in custody, he popped a cyanide pill he kept hidden and he died. Yeah, so now he's done from the story. I mean, this is like a stone cold, fucking psycho. So yeah, he took his own life Cyanide who knew so Charles, Uh, but Charles did flee and then also Lake was and then on top of it, Lake was carrying a driver's license of someone named Robin Stapeley of San Diego, who of course was missing. And then they were driving a car owned by Paul Coostner who and carrying the bank cards of a bunch of people. So everything was from missing people, cars, IDs, credit cards, any guns, everything was registered and to other people. Investigators on the property then discovered piles of charred bones, forty five pounds of bones, blood stained tools, shallow graves, and then a two hundred and fifty page diary kept by Lake and it detailed his plan. So his plan was called Operation Miranda, and his fantasy of surviving a nuclear holocaust in a concrete bunker stocked with food, weapons, and female slaves.
Speaker 4: So this this was like kind of his dream for like, then, why did you kill all the women?
Speaker 2: Four law enforcement agencies spent five weeks scouring the property. They found thousands of buried teeth and bone fragment.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And then at least four of the dental specimens belonged to children under the age of three. NG was found about a month later in Alberta, Canada. Again the episode after again attempting to shoplift at a department store like truly a klepto, Yeah, and he wounded a store guard. So he was found not guilty of the attempted murder charge because, as like the judge said, since it was just a shot in the hand, like you couldn't couldn't like you couldn't prove that he was trying to kill the guy, just injure him. But he was found guilty of robbery and assault and given four and a half years. So they obviously the US wanted to get an extradition for him and try him for all these horrific crimes, but he fought the extradition for six years and then finally the Supreme Court in Canada ordered his return, so he was finally brought back to the US in nineteen ninety one, and Cara covered this in episode so like in nineteen seventy six, an extradition treaty between Canada and the US was created and that Canada can reject an extradition petition if the US does not guarantee that the suspect will not face the death penalty, because Canada abolished the capital punishment in nineteen seventy six, but he still was I don't know how they finally did it, but he fought it for six years. He was found guilty of eleven confirmed but is believe there's like at least over a dozen more in nineteen ninety nine. He was finally convicted nineteen ninety nine, and I'll get into that, but of killing six men, three women, two baby boys and accused of thirteen slayings. He still denied the crime, and his defense argued that he was under Lake's influence. But like you taped it and then This was one of California's longest and most expensive trials at the time, costing millions of dollars, partly because the court said, according to CBS News, that Ing repeatedly attempted to delay and disrupt his own trial. I mean this was hundreds of hours, over ten years and over six hundred witnesses.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: Case files filled three rooms, said the deputy Orange County Public defender William Kelly. The case was tried in the OC because of like unfair stuff, so he got it moved. He thought all the media attention wouldn't keep like have the trial be fair in the Bay Area if you were alive during this time or living there or live in the area, Like, let me know if you know about this, Like if this was on the news all the time, why don't we really know about this crime? It says, it's so infamous, it's like obviously horrific, so many different layers, but it's kind of like the episode, we don't really know about it.
Speaker 1: I tried to look up their faces because I wanted to see what they look like, and like some things call it the Mirandom murders, but like that doesn't that didn't catch on, Like I don't think enough people were talking about the Mirandom murders, no Rod.
Speaker 2: But I'm wondering if people like because it got moved down to the OC, so obviously there's a bunch of media attention. Yeah, but this is late eighties, this is throughout the nineties. Other things took over. Like I'm just curious if anyone has any memories of this, right, let us know. So the Kelly guy, the defense attorney, the public defender, said it was like at six million dollars before the case he even got the case, which would need an additional two years to prepare in a year to try it. Whoa ing was sentenced to death and currently being held at the California Medical Facility in Vacaville. July twenty twenty two, the California Supreme Court upheld the death penalty for the guy, but Gavin Newsom imposed the moratorium on the death penalty, so as long as he's in charge, he will not be murdered. And even decades later, there's still trying to identify some of the remains of the victims using genealogical DNA. So the bones and other human remains were kept in a crypt in a cemetery and hopes that modern DNA tracing could help reveal identities by using DNA databases. So two people in twenty twenty five alone had been identified. WHOA, So it's still like a current kind of case. So Reginald aka Reggie Frisbee, an unknown victim of the men, were able to be identified through genealogical stuff like through like you know, what are those called where you spit in the thing and you send it like twenty three DNA testing. Yeah, and they were finally able to identify O'Connor as well. Apartment set according to San Francisco Gate sf Gate like a newspaper thing. This case underscores the power of modern forensic science and bringing families the closure they deserve even after decades of uncertainty. So that that was kind of beautiful. But we weren't really know exact numbers of anything, but like they definitely killed over twenty p like we don't know, yeah, because who knows how they broke apart all these bodies.
Speaker 4: Like it's fucked, It's fine.
Speaker 1: I just think the guy should rot in jail forever. I feel like Newsome is right with the I mean, you know, I'm not even like a death penalty person, but it's like you held people in a cage and that's how you have to live for the rest of your life. Like I think that's I think, yeah, ugh, horrible. I can't believe there's another one.
Speaker 4: Oh no, this one's even worse, i'd say, if we have to compare it.
Speaker 1: But oh, oh oh god.
Speaker 2: And I actually remember because when I performed in Philly, not this last time, but a couple times ago, someone was telling me about this crime, and I think I kicked it out of my head. And so we're back. It's the Gary heidnick case and Kara, this freak actually inspired the Buffalo Bill character in Silence of the Lambs One. Okay, I know there's a lot of different things, but a lot of parallels between this guy and Buffalo Bill.
Speaker 1: All right, here we go.
Speaker 2: So Gary was a self appointed pastor of a church so Problems. He created a church called United Church Ministries of God, and his congregation met in his home and his worshippers were comprised of mostly mentally challenged people. And he was known as someone who flashed rolls of money and like he had a Rolls Royce and a Cadillac and like just all this cash and he would roll around flashing it, roll the money around the neighborhood to use and mentally handicapped women. And he would take these people on trips to the New Jersey amusement parks. So and he had an IQ of one forty eight. So he is like upper intelligence and he's hanging out with a g group of mentally challenged people, which is fine if you're of service, but like what and you would take these people on trips to the amusement park and pay for everything.
Speaker 4: And he was just kind of known for that.
Speaker 2: He made a lot of money as a successful investor in the stock market, okay, and he was also like the son of a former city councilman in a Cleveland suburb. This happened in Philly, but you know Ohio and Pennsylvania touch, so you know, he came from a councilman. He's really smart, he makes a ton of money in the market. And his former wife, one of his former wives, was like a mail order bride from the Philippines, so that's also like that's like a pretty much.
Speaker 4: Red flag of like you're mail ordering rides.
Speaker 2: And while and a lot of people about this guy said he was patient, kind, chatty, but anyone that really knew him said the opposite. Like his wife said that he was short tempered, often beat and tortured her. She went to authorities after a few months of being in the country with him, said that he raped her. He was charged with a bunch of charges, but the woman never came to the hearing and she led the fuck out of there. She used aid from a Filipino community, like Philadelphia's Filipino community helped her and she went into hiding and fled, which, you know, whatever she needed to do. Obviously, it'd be nice if he was in jail for these crimes.
Speaker 4: I don't know why they needed a witness.
Speaker 2: This is very SVU and annoying, but everything had to be dropped because of it. Now, all of the victims of this case of him, outside of like domestic abuse that he did with this wife and he had a few other wives, his victims were all black women, So I think that also kind of affected how poorly the police acted reacted. Yeah, but all the victims were black women, and he believed that races needed to mix to create a perfect race. And his plan was to enslave ten black girls and have babies with them. What the fuck. So he lured these into his homes with promise of money in exchange for sex, and then he would overpower them and then chain them in a pit in the basement. So he lured sex workers and mentally disabled women into his North Philly home, and Philly is nicknamed this place the House of Horrors, and this dungeon like basement it was, you know, the walls were covered in one and five dollar bills, there were two mattresses in a portable toilet. So he kidnapped six women in total, and two were killed and four did end up being saved.
Speaker 4: In the end.
Speaker 2: So the four that survived were Josephina Rivera, Lisa Thomas, Jacquelinaskins, and Agnes Adams. And then two were killed, Sandra Lindsay and Deborah Dudley ended up not surviving this House of Horrors, Sandra Lindsay from starvation, torture, combo, and then Deborah was electrocuted and then buried in a New Jersey pot like woods.
Speaker 4: Oh my god. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So Josephina was a mother of three and struggled with drug addiction and was working as a sex worker, and that's how he got her into the home. Sandra Lindsay had who had developmental disabilities, attended his church services. Lindsay was disabled, says her sister to CNN, and he prayed on her vulnerability and desire to be accepted, and she would tell her sister about like, oh, I go into an amusement park, it's all young people. He bought us McDonald's, like she really trusted him to her. He was a hero, okay, and then her sister That's what her sister, Tracy has said to his CNN that like hero. In nineteen eighty six, the day after Thanksgiving, Lindsay went to the store to buy some pain meds and never returned. Her family called him and he hung up, and they kept calling and he would keep hanging up. So they started arriving at his house and he would deny them entry, So then they went to the police, and then the police did question him. So then afterwards suddenly a card from Lindsay arrived after christmassing. She was fine, and they knew it wasn't her, and so they kept begging detectives like can you please go in there, and we know it's him, and they're like, nope, we can't. So then the mother, Janet Perkins, files a police report with the police about her daughter missing, and the police ignored it and said, we can't really do anything.
Speaker 4: Your daughter's an adult. Get over it.
Speaker 2: Then the Elwyn Institutes of National Rehabilitation Center that a lot of the that's where he found that's where he would pray on people. It's like a center for the disabled. And they kept calling the authorities saying that Heidnik was harassing their clients. So you have multiple family members, you have, you have this institute saying he is praying on our clients. The police refused to do anything about it. Then neighbors said they'd complained to the police about noise and smell of burning flesh, which the cops say they deny that anyone ever said anything. The neighbors said they were constantly calling, complaining, and the cops said, we don't have probable cause.
Speaker 4: We can't just enter a home.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: So Jackie Askins, a survivor, did an interview to mark the thirty years since Gary was captured to ABC Local six news, and she said he stripped her naked like, took her wig off, everything, led her down, handcuffed her naked to the basement, and then she saw four other prisoners there, all of them chained up. Two were on the bed, one by the pool table, and one was standing by the window. So the women would come on their own, like I said, to have consensual sex with him or whatever was going on. But because of their diminish mental capacity, I don't really know how consensual it is. And I'm really annoyed that that's the research we do, how people frame stuff. But from the Supreme Court report that during the sex he would choke them out, then while unconscious, he would chain them, and the survivor said it was daily rapes and beatings, tortured them. He would tell them I have a lot of kids because the state kept taking his kids away from him. This is according to the Oxygen Network. But like, yeah he had children, he did. Yeah, like he had ex wives. He had children, and they kept being taken away from him, and no one wanted to be around this motherfucker like a true psychopath. Yeah, he had kids taken away all the time. So he I mean, I'm gonna go into the details, and it's grim. It is what it is. So he wrapped tape around their mouths and would drive a screwdriver into their ears and would turn it.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, yes to ABC News.
Speaker 2: And then he created this pit and he filled it with water, and then he would electrically like shock the women.
Speaker 4: And then he would the dead bodies.
Speaker 2: He would dismember the victims and then store the limbs and containers labeled dog food and then fed the women dog food or dog food mixed in with like the other human remains.
Speaker 4: My god, oh my god.
Speaker 2: And Askins said that she remembers dismembering one of her fellow victims that like Linds, each while hanging for days with her arms shackled to a ceiling pipe, and that her body had to be cut up and like with a power saw, and was stored in the fridge, and he made her dismember the body and then he boiled her head in a large pot on the stove. Oh my god, Like minute, I can't there's no words, honestly, like no words aren't enough for the evil.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So Johnson was put in the pit and electrocuted, and then he dumped her body in the forest. And then when he would leave the house, he would leave one of the women in charge, and when he would come back, he would ask how the others behaved, and if she said bad, they would get beaten, but if she said good, she would get beaten.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: So finally Philly police arrested this motherfucker in nineteen eighty seven, and you're wondering, Wow, how did they solve the crime? They didn't. One of the women fucking escaped, thank god. Yeah, So Josephina Rivera, she gained the trust of this guy and convinced him to let her leave the house briefly to like meet up with her family. So he drove her to like make a phone call at like a payphone to talk to her family, and she fled called the cops. He he also thought he had something on her though that's like where the trust came from or like what he had over her. But basically he made her sign a note saying that she helped kill Deborah Dudley, so that it was incriminating to her, and he said, like, you're not gonna so then he stopped handcuffing her, and like, you know, all of.
Speaker 1: This guy has one hundred and forty whatever IQ he thinks that that's going to fucking hold up anywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So basically, like because she helped him and sign this paper, he like started being like more chill, and so yeah, he wasn't handcuffing her. And then March twenty fourth, nineteen eighty seven, Phillipe d received a call from a woman who said she'd been held captive for the last four months. The cops arrived to the payphone she used, and this is in the Supreme Court case files quoted by Justia Justia. It said she was visibly shaking and gave cops the scoop and then they held that's these are my words. They helped calm her down and she told them that Gary was waiting for her to return in a car park nearby, and he thought that she was just visiting family.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: So when they approached him, he said, what's this all about, Officer, didn't I pay my child's support?
Speaker 1: And then that's the Supreme Court files in justia.
Speaker 2: And then when the women were finally freed, a next door neighbor, Dorothy Zubulka, is quoted in The Times saying that three of them came running out of the house yelling, horray, we're free, We're out, and missus. Zubulka was actually one of the neighbors that told police several times about how it smelled like burning flesh and that she heard electrical saws and hammering in the middle of the night. Warren Henceman, another neighbor, said he complained about foul odors and that the officer who responded to call to the call dismissed his concern and said, yeah, Okay, it's a burned roast.
Speaker 4: Don't worry guy.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: The New York Times ago, it's probably a roast. I also would like to mention that in nineteen seventy eight he was arrested and convicted he kidnapped his ex's sister, Alberta Davidson, who had an intellectual disability, and then she was kidnapped from the institution she lived in, and he allegedly raped her and kept her imprisoned in a basement storage room.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And what and he would and they wanted a convict him of more crimes, but they couldn't because Alberta was deemed mentally.
Speaker 4: Unfit to take the stand.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: So then he was in prisoned for four years and four months and he was silent the whole time. And then he was paroled in nineteen eighty three.
Speaker 1: Paroled. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: So not only was an institute complaining about him, a mother complaining about him, neighbors complaining about him. He has a record, So he has a record of holding women hostage and torturing them. Was arrested, and still no one in fucking Philadelphia PD would investigate. And you know it's because these are black women.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like and and it's like the whole thing about like letting her go, like uh be with her family a little bit. To me, it's like this, it's like the Colleen standcase. It's like these guys want to feel like I have so like so much control over these women that they would never go and escape and tell anybody about me or whatever, like I have the control. It's like they think that these women are dogs and they can walk their dogs off the leash. Well yeah, especially if like you created your own church. Yes, you need to be the man in charge and controlling people.
Speaker 2: And then police found twenty seven pounds of body parts inside his face. Oh my god, they found a dismembered head and a stock pot of water.
Speaker 4: I told you, like, I'm like, yeah, that's.
Speaker 1: Very buffalo bill. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then you know, they found the women chained up with the pits the to where it's bad. And then so his defense attorney, Charles Peruto Junior, in an interview with A and E, said Gary's attitude towards the whole thing was that he hadn't even committed a crime and had a perfectly logical excuse and calm demeanor for all the evil things he did. He never had any remorse for anything. Prudo Junior did try to make him seem more insane, like was helping him out because he did not meet the legal threshold of insanity, but he reached the clinical and he had this IQ but basically, like his fucking lawyer told him, don't bathe don't trim your beard and let your mustache grow into your mouth, like helping him look more crazy. Yeah, and the judge knew it was bullshit and did not fall for it. Lynn Abraham, you're a real one. Who eventually became a Philly da in nineteen ninety one, she realized he was faking it. And Miss Rivera, the one who escaped, She said that he would always say like, even if I'm arrested and we go to court, I'm going to act crazy. I'm going to salute the judge and I don't even care. I'll act crazy for years and they'll throw this case out.
Speaker 4: And that's according to the Supreme Court docs.
Speaker 2: And then the defense had three psychologists say that he didn't know the difference between right or wrong because of his schizophrenia, and that he thought God was asking him to do this. But they had a bunch of witnesses who were like, Nope, that's not working. He had a stockbroker who was like, no, he was pretty sane and normal and would tell me what to do with his funds.
Speaker 4: All the time. Was able to work with me.
Speaker 2: An old social worker testified that in the fall of nineteen eighty six, she deemed him clean, safe, calm, rational, smart while escorting his ex wife out of a hospital because she needed a help. So she he was like sane enough to help his wife out of the hospital. An acquaintance claiming he had been consistently the same for eight years. A court reporter who was involved in like family court proceedings also said he was a car salesman. A psychiatrist from his veteran's office, court psychologist too all put him in the A court psychologist actually said that he was in the top half percent of one percent of people smart wise. Wow, but like you said, why would you think that?
Speaker 1: Like paper, yeah, like a little contract, Yeah yeah. He also tried to hang himself in jail by using a T shirt from a shower pipe, and he was found by a CEO. He was eventually convicted of two counts of murder, six counts of kidnapping, five counts of rape, and various other charges. He was sentenced to death on March second in nineteen eighty nine. And we are against the death penalty, but I guess not here because I'm pretty thrilled that he was killed by lethal injection in nineteen ninety nine. He did not appeal his conviction once and did not fight the death penalty, which his attorney says points to him being like clinically insane, but I don't.
Speaker 4: Care, okay.
Speaker 2: His last meal was black coffee and two slices of cheese pizza. Maybe you are insane wildly. His estrange daughter, Maxine Davidson White, did appeal and try to save him from execution, but.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Askins attended the execution, as did Lindsay's family and the Dudley's family, and they said they were all dissatisfied and not get the relief that they thought they wanted. That like, he didn't look at them, but it was like they yeah, yeah. And Rivera said that she wanted him to sit in a cell and not get the death penalty. So he was actually the last person executed in Pennsylvania.
Speaker 4: The victims so.
Speaker 2: Fucked up received a thirty thousand dollars settlement. Oh my god, what Yeah, you guys did not investigate for years as people were complaining, and.
Speaker 1: You got him thirty k. You gave him thirty k. Crazy. That's fucking crazy.
Speaker 2: Thomas and Adams were never really able to recover from the experience. Obviously they deal with mental health and addiction issues. And this is from twenty twenty one update from Oxygen. Rivera told the Philly Inchoir she returned to sex work after the trial, but she did give it up.
Speaker 4: She gave up drugs.
Speaker 2: She's been working random jobs for a while and was able to reunite with her children. She lives in Atlantic City with her husband. She loves taking walks on the beach, but she's in She still has panic attacks if she sees chains or handcuffs anywhere.
Speaker 4: She has to turn the TV off. And that sounds familiar.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's like something else we've covered where it might be Colleen stan actually like that triggers her. It might I think it was, But that's what I mean. Like these women should never have to work again, Like they should have all been given like at least a few hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: Like I don't understand.
Speaker 2: I don't understand how like these women get out there's no victim services, Like, yeah, she still had to do sex work.
Speaker 4: Like she didn't. I can't. I can't understand awful.
Speaker 2: And then the surviving women actually wanted to press charges against Rivera. Why because they said that like she would help them even though she saved them and like was trying to survive. They feel like she did things that she shouldn't have. But oh, those charges were dropped but like that never went anywhere.
Speaker 3: But but.
Speaker 2: I understand where they're coming from. And like maybe she was like favored and did or and did do more fucked up stuff, but that's what gave.
Speaker 1: Her the ability to get out and get them out. They could all be dead, but that's I could see. Yeah, Askins still lives in Philly. She cleans houses, she's close with her sons. She's on meds to deal with her anxiety and trauma, and that's according to a Huffington Post article in twenty fourteen. But she has intense flashbacks and she cannot enter basements, which makes sense. Ye, Askins and Rivera did eventually have a sit down. And if you want to see this, it's call it's a show called Monster Preacher on Oxygen if you want to see this sit down. And I want to say, like I didn't include it on purpose, but like like Charles and this dude like they were both beat by their family, both like insane parents, like not really like a great childhood. But I'm really sick about hearing about that because women are abused all the time and it doesn't seem like they're committing as many crimes. And I think about school shootings in the same way we excuse it by like they're bullied. They're bullied, they're ostracized, and it's like, so are black kids. I don't know, so are women, so are trans kids, and like for some reason, it's always these dudes. It's we always, oh, they're abused, but like so are not men.
Speaker 4: Yeah, women are abused.
Speaker 2: Women go through incests and who knows if they're doing other weird shit and manifestations. But it does seem like most women that are abused like this that goes inward and it's like eating disorders and cutting and like all of these things, and so like I'm just sick of it being used and even the discussion of like, well, you know, a cycle of abuse, and it's.
Speaker 1: Like, but it's not for women, I don't know.
Speaker 2: And I'm sure there's women beating their kids like I and not being and repeating it in certain ways it's just like I'm kind of sick of it at being a reason. Yeah, because Charles's father went to CORE to testify any Cry and was like, I shouldn't have hit my kid. I fucked up. I fucked up. Really, yeah, I guess I did the wrong thing. He's like, you know, my wife begged me to stop, but I thought I was doing the right thing. And so it's like, I get that these people are being beat, but there needs to be research on why men are more outward with this abuse and women are inward because I don't care anymore. I don't care if these abusers are abused. I don't care anymore. Yeah, it's like tough, I don't know. Lots of people were hit and they didn't put screwdrivers in women. I put them in the pits and electrocute them. Why are you writing?
Speaker 1: I mean this is like we talk about the cycle of abuse all the time, and like I do believe it's a thing, but this is like, but this is like fucking the most depraved shit I've ever heard.
Speaker 2: So and for all these guys, all these guys, all the research I did, multiple articles, kept being like their parents were insane. They got hit and It's like what this is like burying baby's teeth and acreage?
Speaker 1: What are we like?
Speaker 2: I don't under I don't know. I'm like I'm just kind of over it. I'm overhearing about how sad these bullied and abused boys are. Like I don't know. Yeah, and fuck the Philly police. Fuck that's I mean, so fucked. Oh, I'm like shivering. This was like so gross. It's probably the most horrific, and like that's why I get why they're like these are the most infamous crimes and like really bad. But I don't know, I just want like research. Maybe I'll talk to my niece about this. She's doing some forensic psych I don't know. I'm like a noise get her on the pod.
Speaker 1: Well, we don't have a guest for today's episode, so we can go right into the post mortem. Well this is terrible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, any episode in SVU that is man up, man down, manhunt mand it's not gonna be good if.
Speaker 1: There's a Sorry, we didn't even have a guest to cleanse the palette for this one. We're just going straight from horrific, horrific crimes to our post mortem, where I mean, oh god, I'm like, I think.
Speaker 2: The darkness that exists in people and how the authorities and the powers that be allow it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's what stuff listen.
Speaker 2: Am I embarrassed that I got into some Instagram debates recently about the man versus Bear? Yes, but I would like to say, now, this is our episode two thirty nine. Okay, how many of our episodes was it a woman perportrator?
Speaker 1: Under ten? I would say probably five mm hmm.
Speaker 2: I just don't get matter, like you're a logical A bear's all bad. It's just some men, And I'm like, I don't, like, you must be just fucking with us, Like I don't know how you hear about the Giselle Pellow cook case and are like that's it, Like, yeah, what more is there to argue when you have the whole ti How do you say it's some men when it was the whole town.
Speaker 1: It's not all men, but it's only men, like it's never a woman. That's Like, I wonder what it would be like to just like torture a person and keep them in a fucking tiny little box under my bed and like you know, do all this shit and feed them their own poop or whatever, like it's never a woman that's like, let's do that, you know, or.
Speaker 2: They're just getting away with it more like I don't know, but it just I just like I don't get. But I also don't get why dudes have been so obsessed with like wanting to be alone in the woods. And then one guy was like, I don't understand how the woods makes it any more or less dangerous, Like just no, I don't know. I have to stop wasting my time. But I was just curious. I'm like, all the crimes that we like cover rarely a woman. I'm thinking, you know, the moms that let their like children die in New York, like in cages and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: I'm thinking of those women.
Speaker 1: Kameelian Woman is based on Eileen Warno's but still she was you know, it seems like she was mostly acting in self defense.
Speaker 4: There were some couples. There's couples.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was the woman that set up the double catfish, but that wasn't even you know.
Speaker 1: There was Casey Novak and her friends doing what they want with the male d We even cover it. We didn't even cover it. Yeah, we've done that one we did. Yeah. Yeah, Amelia Chase episode good. Okay, no, there's so many, but yeah, it's under ten for sure, and like it's and you know it's it is just it's a wild statistic that they keep fighting against. But but then.
Speaker 2: Saying how they're logical, Like that's what's annoying too. It's like all not being able to see things outside their outside their perspectives. And it's also I'm an idiot for fighting online, and they're probably idiots for also doing the same thing. So I don't know who I'm talking to, but it is this thing of like why wouldn't it be logical if you know men are dangerous, wouldn't it be logical to watch your fucking back?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Also, though every man can really only speak for himself, like every man can only say I would never do that. You know, you can only go I'm a good guy whatever. But when guys like start to speak for their friends or like none of my friends would do that, it's like you don't fucking know that. I mean, like, I know, Promising Young Woman is like a movie, but like you know bo Burnham's characters the Night is a nice guy, you know, like probably none of his friends ever thought that you know, the.
Speaker 2: Whole thing with the Pellicoat case to where it's like there are people that showed up and didn't participate, or they saw the messages on the message board and didn't go but knew it was happening and still didn't alert any authorities. So it's like, what is a good person watching a rape is considered good and not helping?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: And then one guy was like talking about polar bears and surviving polar bear or something, and I go, well, now I know you're a fucking idiot. I'm like, if a polar bear finds you, you're done. Yeah, Like I know the bear laws? Why good night, right, that's the bear.
Speaker 1: The bear laws.
Speaker 2: No, But it's like, yeah, I don't want to be mulled by a bear for sure, but I feel like maybe if I stand still or look down or like you know, it might sniff me and leave.
Speaker 4: Like wild Boys.
Speaker 2: Steve O had honey and marshmallows on his nipples and a but and a bear came and ate all that and licked him and did one chomp. But like Steve O is fine, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I just I don't want I don't think I can take a bear, that's not the thing. But you're gonna take your chances with the bear because.
Speaker 2: If you ignore a guy, then it's like, why didn't you say hi to me? And then it's like and then people would be like, well, why were you alone in the woods, And that's what's annoying too. Yeah, but bear mace works on both men and bears, So it's like, who do you want a bear mace?
Speaker 4: More so if I have bear Mason, I'm ready.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I don't know what bears like revenge, but I think I'd rather be mauled by a bear. I think I'm like if the this is the because I'd rather be mauled by a bear than hunting ground, be kept in a cabin and be sent out in the woods and darted and like sexually, yeah, like I don't want to be Colleen Stand. I would rather be eaten by a bear than Colleen Stand. And I'd rather take my chance as being mauled by a bear. Yeah yeah, And that's and that's your right and that's my right. And that proves another point where it's like, oh, you don't accept a woman's answers, got it?
Speaker 1: You guys are stupid. Let me explain to you why you're wrong about how you feel about your own safety.
Speaker 2: Such a fun and then I kept being like, but this is the game. Would you rather have no elbows or no knees?
Speaker 1: It's like we yeah, you don't want either, but like, this is the game.
Speaker 4: Why are you all desperate? I don't know it so frustrating.
Speaker 1: No hellbos are no knees.
Speaker 2: Jesus, all right, well wait, I also have a brad I forgot someone gifted me a la boo boo.
Speaker 1: Uh I got one for Rosie? Did I tell you no?
Speaker 2: But you know how I was like, I don't even want one, and then the moment it came into my arms, I went, this is the greatest stay of of.
Speaker 1: Course, I knew you would want a lak boo boo the minute, like just the whole thing about them. Like so I was like, so, Rosie's been asking me forever to get her one, and I was like, I'm not, I'm not, But I did go on PopMart I created account. I said, notify me when they come on sale. Whenever they go on sale, they're gone in three seconds, like you know, the whole drill. And then in the mom group. Somebody just goes, oh, this place in uh, this place, this store Japanese like toy store has one, and I went and they just had a ton of them, and I was like, great, give me one of those. And they were like marked up like twice what they are on the internet, but still not crazy, like I think I spent sixty bucks. It was her end of the year kindergarten graduation gift and she was gagged when she got it. I mean she was so excited. She got the little sea salt coconut. It's like a little like light gray light bluey kind of color. Yeah, and she loves it so much. Which one did you get? Why didn't open my box yet? I want to tape it.
Speaker 2: So I brought it home and now I've been home for like a day and a half.
Speaker 4: And so I'm gonna open it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I want to create content. I gotta make vide Yeah, no, I'm because I also in Atlanta, this cute girl. So the store is called Sister and Roswell and it's like really fun stuff and I want to make a video with all the things they gave me. Like some our listeners just know us like a sticky note that looks like Ravioli.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I can't.
Speaker 1: I can't even I can't. Just it's like so fucking cute when you post your unboxing vie and then.
Speaker 2: My sard my sardine fucking candle. This is the third one. I'm like, so easy to shop for. People will not stop getting me the streaming candles. And if you're Marishka's pr, we have a word with you. How dare she do call her dad? How dam how dare I?
Speaker 1: Just like, I look, I respect everybody's everybody is like, you know, I'm not I'm not saying I don't like that podcaster because I don't know her very well, but like, what is the like secret thing about her that everybody's so obsessed with? Like is she so good of an interviewer? I don't know.
Speaker 2: Jane Fonda said she was a great interviewer. I have no idea. I mean, she is very hot. I don't I was not a part of the journey and that I didn't have Spotify, so I've never like able to get to it. Even though she has such good guests and I want them, and she's built an empire.
Speaker 1: I mean, listen to get a hill. It's such a smart business woman. But like I've seen some clips of interviews, and I guess it's like she asks people she wears sweatpants, what's your favorite sex position? And people like that because that's not always what you get in an interview. But that's also it's understood she's gonna ask questions like that, you know what I mean. So it's not the same as like if like Fallon asks you what your favorite sex?
Speaker 4: Yeah. She I think she disarms people.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's like Howard Stern vibes or she's able to like get people to spill and be vulnerable about things. And then I read an interview with her and like if a celebrity says certain things are off limits, they just won't have them on. Yeah, so you know you have to be like down, And I think it's like comfortable and she's in I.
Speaker 1: Will say, I will say I was thinking about it, and I think that, like I think she's gonna go on call her daddy and talk a lot more about like her life and like let's go like her mom and the doc and everything, and that if she was to come on our pod, it would be more SVU centric. So I do think we would get conversation out of her that would be different. Yeah, yeah, let me go to AMDB pro.
Speaker 4: Who the fuck do we need to talk to where we could help people?
Speaker 1: Okay, quick postmortem though of this episode. I do think we need to be a little bit more paying attention to the kids that are torturing and killing animals. I mean, like every single serial killer we've been talking about lately, it's like killing animals young, killing animals young, Like, let's get them immediately into an intensive treatment program.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Michelle Obama, you know you you raise your daughters and love your boys. That's what she said, and you need to start raising your boys. Yeah, start raising your boys. Yeah, stop excusing this crazy behavior and not expecting them to do anything while your eldest daughters are out there like hanging clothes on the clothesline.
Speaker 1: Not happening with me, baby, It ends with me. But anyway, obviously horrific episode. Don't partner up with a psychopath. He's probably gonna kill you. I don't know any other takeaways before we hop into our what would sister peg and.
Speaker 2: I think we learned this with the Long Island Killer too, the Go Go Beach or whatnot. But it's like, I don't know, if you think your loved one is missing and dead, you really got to fight the cops.
Speaker 4: It's the only way. Maybe you have to push.
Speaker 2: You have to push, You have to push, you have to bother them because they don't want to do work, they don't want to look into you, and if they don't value you because you X, Y and Z whatever whatever the bias they have, Like it's because of people's loved ones bothering and bothering and bothering and then this woman escaping, like they don't even that's they don't even do police work. Like how often also on this podcast where we're like and a tip came in, this person confessed or like they ended up this or this person escaped, Like it's like they don't even do police work. It's yeah, except like the one that's based on the Robin Williams, like that guy he really cared but then but the but the guy went free, Yeah, because they couldn't charge you.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's just like it's frustrating.
Speaker 2: You know my advice, listen to our podcast, but don't pay attention to the worlds and you're life. We'll be better honestly, that would be my number one thing for mental health.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: I yeah, I have like not been able to really look at my phone lately. That's probably why I did not see Crypto Murder House.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but someone said that the pot has gotten too much for them, but they listened to the intros.
Speaker 1: I go, great, get your joy, Get your joy, babes, get it, get it all right, let's go to what would mister Peg Do? This is our weekly segment where we direct you to a book, an article, an organization, a doc something to give you more info about what we talked about in today's episode. And this week for WWSPD, we wanted to point you to the Oxygen documentary series that Lisa mentioned I think a few times in her research. It's called Manifesto of a Serial Killer. It's a three part series that does a full investigation into Leonard Lake and Charles ng And unfortunately I couldn't find it actually on Oxygen, like there were only previews for it, but it's on Peacock. So for anybody who wants to learn more about this truly disturbing case, you can head over to Peacock. I believe it also might be on Apple, But we are linking to Peacock in our show notes and we will link to it in our stories and those get saved in our WWSPD highlights on our Instagram page, which is that s Messed Up Pod. Come on over there. It's a great way to follow us, talk to us, ask us to do certain episodes whatever you know.
Speaker 2: Hell yes, and next week we will be doing liberties. Kind of sounds more fun than what the episode's gonna be.
Speaker 1: But the lemu Emu will not be there.
Speaker 4: Wait, what is that?
Speaker 1: Liberty? Mutual limu EMU unpaid ad, unpaid ad, Season ten, episode twenty one. Thanks for all your support listening. I love meeting you guys in person. It's really a it's really a joy and a pleasure.
Speaker 4: So thank you.
Speaker 1: See you next week. Bye bye.
Speaker 2: That's Messed Up as an exactly right production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us, or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email at That's Messed uppod at gmail dot com. Listen to That's Messed Up on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod. And follow us personally at Kara Klank and at Glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to our senior producer Casey O'Brien and our associate producer Christina Chamberlain, and.
Speaker 1: To our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cottner, and to Henry Kaperski for our theme song and Carly Geen Andrews for our artwork. Thank you to our executive producers Georgia Hardstart, Karen Kilgarriff, Daniel Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right Media. Dun Dun