Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong, Joe, Getty.
Speaker 2: Arm Strong and Jetty and no He Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 3: Hoy, y'all doing.
Speaker 2: I want to talk about The Odyssey.
Speaker 1: It's just some stuff I've come across a reading reviews and like from actual critics and then people who went to the movie. Most people have blown away visually, but it's the first major film film that all imax. I'm going this week. I can't wait to see wait to see it.
Speaker 3: Have you heard how it translates to non IMAX screens? No?
Speaker 2: I have not.
Speaker 3: I'm sure it's still fantastic visually. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, he definitely filmed it with the idea that you should see it in on the IMAX format. That's the point of the way he made it and spend a lot of money on it being that way.
Speaker 3: I don't know how I'm gonna watch it on my phone then criticize it bitterly.
Speaker 1: I've watched a lot of movies on my phone, which is really cruel to do to the director.
Speaker 3: I don't care. I just I don't think about the politics of movies. I just don't.
Speaker 1: It's not something that crosses my mind, but if it does, David Frenchen and other conservative pundits have made the argument that it's one of the most conservative movies made in years in terms of a message if you care about that sort of thing. I don't really think about those things. So somebody would have to ask me, and then I would have to think about it to come up with a was the message from this movie this or that?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I guess I just don't go to the movies for those reasons or something. But we'll talk more about that later. And then I'm going this week and I can't wait. Tickets are kind of expensive. I and then you got the giant popcorn thing that's like one hundred and fifty bucks. So yeah, the souvenir popcorn.
Speaker 3: A bold, the giant Paragian horse popcorn thing sounds kind of cool. When you say pretty expensive, what are we talking about? Twenty five apiece? So fifty bucks? I mean, you know, regular movies are like fifteen apiece, I think. So, here's a dumb guy.
Speaker 1: Standing on a street corner, college kid being asked to do a first first a dumb guy than a smart guy. Both of them are fans of socialism. One of them, Well, they're both dangerous. I guess depending on how you look at it. Here is like a college kid on the street pitching you on socialism.
Speaker 4: I know, I saw statistic amazing for you, guys, more than half of young Americans now prefer socialism over capitalism. So if you can look into the camera and give a thirty second elevator pitch on why socialism is better than capitalism.
Speaker 2: Community.
Speaker 5: Are you tired of sitting alone, being by yourself and having no one to talk to you. It's all about community. It's about laras sitting down and having coffee of random stranger and talking to them, talking about the game. Hell, I have hugged more strangers than this past summer because of the next game, because of the World Cup. Because socialism works is the watch parties at a zorround hosts.
Speaker 3: It's about the parties that we allow.
Speaker 5: You don't have cops hoogging every single site and saying, oh, you can't be here because there's too many people, instead of allowing people just being in their nature a natural element of talking each other to bond over things we love and share. So that what socialism is it ain't scary word.
Speaker 3: It ain't me.
Speaker 5: Taking your house is about me making sure your house remains in your hands and some million doesn't take it from you.
Speaker 3: That's it. How do you argue with that? Hmm, that's a child?
Speaker 2: How do you argue with that?
Speaker 1: So if he hears the candidate is a DSA candidate Democratic Socialist of America, he's going to vote yes because of all the things he just said.
Speaker 2: How do you how do you argue out of that position? Boy?
Speaker 3: That rings so beautifully though, with that piece I brought you last week about the young woman from the Wall Street Journal who went to all sorts of DSA events and said, it's all about community and contact and having fun together because all the youngsters are so lonely. But they're using that loneliness to sell them on a totalitarian form of government, which is clever and insidious. I mean to have the two thirds of what he talked about has nothing whatsoever.
Speaker 1: To do with social I don't want to be a buzz soccer viewer parties. I don't want to be a buzzkill. But socialism is not getting together with your friends watching the Knicks game. That's not socialism.
Speaker 3: The word social is in there, But don't be confused, Jenny.
Speaker 2: They're not even close.
Speaker 1: Now here's a guy I don't know as much about this, Hassan piker dude.
Speaker 3: I keep hearing his name. What is he? He's an influencer podcaster, Yeah, podcaster, influencer, one of the star talking heads in the long left, the young left.
Speaker 1: Rather, maybe I should take in some of his stuff because his name keeps popping up and young people seem to listen to him a lot. Here's him talking up Chairman Mile.
Speaker 6: I got stopped by a cop who thought it was like making fun of mause Dong, which I never would and never will. Malse Dong is a is a one of the great leaders of this world. Okay, a man who changed the entire universe, the entire planet.
Speaker 3: All right, Wow, come for the evil, stay for the What the hell are you talking about?
Speaker 2: So he knows what he's doing though, right?
Speaker 1: That first numb nut we heard from who's talking about Nick's parties being socialism just is.
Speaker 3: A Yeah, he's a numbskull.
Speaker 1: He's a numbskull, although his vote count as much as yours. This a soundpiker guy knows exactly what he's doing. He just wants to upend the system.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's a Marxist. But you can look at now, say dong though, and say that went well. I mean you've got to seriously, seriously be delusional.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know how you get there people starving to death because you're collectivized farming.
Speaker 3: Right. I think that the difference between a guy like me and a guy like him is I can tell you what Trump's done right and wrong, in my opinion, I can do the same for Ronald Reagan or you know, Margaret Thatcher or whatever else. I don't have a religious calling like these people do. That they will tell you in a candid moment. Yes, we will absolutely lie to promote Marxism because it's that important. We can't let your petty bourgeois notions of truth and honestly and dishonest he getting the way of bringing about the revolution. You think, you know, the founding, the founding oppressors of this country didn't lie occasionally. You're a fool, he would say.
Speaker 1: Probably. Well, none of the people you mentioned, you can point out their mistakes include seventy million people dying. Sure, that's a that's a heck of a mistake. Too big an admission to make.
Speaker 3: Huh wow.
Speaker 2: All right, So.
Speaker 1: Bill Maher is an old school Democrat. Nobody hated George W. Bush more than Bill Maher or Reagan or I've been following Bill Maher for many, many years, going back to the seventies. Actually he is a Democrat. He does not like conservatives, but he doesn't like the wackatoos that are taking over his party. Hears him doing an interview over the weekend.
Speaker 7: I mean, you get some Democrats marats are cowardly. Yeah, they're cowardly. Their party is being taken over now by you know, every day I hear about a new very radical I feel very good about like ten whenever years ago, like I did lose fans because you know, I wasn't going to go along with some of this crazy stuff on the left too. I didn't change really on what I thought about the right. But just I can't sit and just not notice stuff which people seem to want to do because it's all about my team or your team. But yeah, there's some crazy stuff, you know, when we're cheering for the Intavada, I got I'm out. The talking point is that it's not communism and socialism. Okay, I've read the quotes from the DSA platform from their own mouths. Don't tell me I'm not seeing what.
Speaker 3: I am seeing. He's in such a minority though his first point about the Democratic Party is cowardly. They're being taken over and they're not saying anything. I'm definitely getting hints that people are waking up and realizing, hey, we're we haven't infused our party with somewhat wacky but energetic, young lefty youngsters, and we'll bring them around now. They're serious and they're winning the game. Well, it has We'll see what the mainstream Democrats do in response.
Speaker 1: It hasn't made it to mainstream media either. The first time I see George Stephanopolis or what's your name and face the Nation, or Margaret Brennan. If I see them talk to one of these DSA candidates and say, so, your platform says you want to replace the constitution and do away with capitalism. Do you stand by that? First time I see him ask that question, I'll believe they've switched to Bill Maher's side, that we're not going to go along with this, We're going to call these people out.
Speaker 2: But so far, they're not calling them out at all.
Speaker 3: Now I'm talking about green shoots, as they say, I'm seeing green shoots, but whether that grows up in flowers into a all right, we got to hold on to our party in the face of these lunatics. Who knows these people just want power and if they think, you know, we could get power by harnessing that energy, Ellie use it. Yeah, so crazy, Oh yeah, because those will be the first people up against the wall when the revolution comes. One hundred percent.
Speaker 2: I hope you're right. I hope this is growing.
Speaker 1: And by the time we get to election day in November, all these DSA candidates have been shocked to find out that they went on ABC, talk to the New York Times, whatever, and started getting asked hard questions about.
Speaker 3: You really believe capitalism is a bad idea.
Speaker 1: You really believe the Constitution needs to go, You need to You really believe we need to get away, get rid of the Senate, for instance, to release everybody from the prisons and not have course anymore. Why didn't I start there? That's the best wide open border. Don't even get to that other complicated stuff. You really believe we shouldn't have prisons or police make am answer that question. Yeah, hopefully that like takes off. I mean, we're in the doldrums of summer by the time that we get to November and voting. I hope they've all had to answer that question.
Speaker 3: Because that's a bit. We're not making this up.
Speaker 2: It's on their website, the DSA website.
Speaker 3: All these candidates that are winning these elections to.
Speaker 1: Hear about their website says that's their platform.
Speaker 3: My life's been one big doldrum since about twenty sixteen. So anyway, one never ending doldrum, boy, doldrum. My life is Argentina yesterday. Never even get to the other side of the field. Oh defending myself. All right, Look, look men, know what all right? First a word from rough Greens, then the rough side of my tongue. Rough grain, not really rough Greens is a It's a nutritional supplement for your dog that you sprinkle on top of your dog's feet. You don't need to, you know, jettison their food and start feeding them something completely different. They'll make them, you know, act like they've been eating taco bell if you know what I mean. Just sprinkle America's number one dog supplement packed with live probiotics, enzymes, omego oils and over twenty vitamins and minerals upon your dog's food and look for the changes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, America's number one dog supplement packed with live probiotics and all this different sort of stuff. You can get a free Jumpstart trial bag today. You can try it for nothing. So why wouldn't you just cover the shipping when you go to Roughgreens dot com and use the discount code Armstrong.
Speaker 3: A healthier dog, more energetic, happier, longer living from the inside out. That's the idea of Roughgreens. Get that free Jumpstart trial bag today. Go to Roughgreens dot com use the discount code Armstrong. That's our uffgreens dot com. That discount code is Armstrong. Roughgreens makes any dog food better. Now the rough side of Joe's tongue. So the thing about soccer, which is a game I love? Or do you call it football like Tom Cruise? That was interesting anyway?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Is that? And I've defended soccer from Charlattan's just jackasses. I've been mocking soccer forever, criticizing it for the lack of scoring. Correct, because every goal is so impactful getting closee goal in one hundred and twenty five minutes. I will get there. I will get there. Every goal is so impactful, getting close, setting it up, crossing a ball, having a chance is incredibly exciting. And each goal matters a lot. So when a goal is scored, it's just pandemonium. Right. Well, the problem is in the World Cup final, it's a one and done thing. Both play, both teams play, like I said before, like those bike races in the Olympics where everybody goes real slow and just are watching each other. Is anybody gonna start? They are real slow, just crazy, crazy, cautious until right again.
Speaker 2: They try real hard, but it makes for dull viewing.
Speaker 3: As an alternative, I give you playoff hockey, which is intense, end to end action from the moment the puck drops.
Speaker 2: It's feverish action.
Speaker 3: It's fantastic and often a little higher scoring than the regular season because they try so hard. That's my one criticism of soccer. They've got to play so conservatively. Yeah, I got into it this year. I actually enjoyed the yesterday. I found it very exciting, even though it was one nothing, so hey, you gotta have the you get fifteen seconds to bring it over to the center line role shot clock. Do it see? You can't just go four corners kicking it around. No, you can't play keep away for forty five minutes. It's Dullsville, Daddy.
Speaker 2: Okay more all the ways there.
Speaker 1: So the Odyssey made a lot of money over the weekend, almost three hundred million dollars worldwide. And it's a very famous director and it's got big stars in it, so it's got the whole I'm filmed that Imax than that is unique. So I don't know what's drawing people to it. The fact that it's a three thousand year old I like when people say thirty centuries. That makes it makes it under It's easy to throw out three thousand years, you're right, but you say thirty centuries and you really realize how long that is.
Speaker 3: I'm doing the math and it checks out.
Speaker 1: That's stunning, how long ago that is and why it's still the story. And I like the people that are making the point that it stands up for the Western canon to a certain extent, the fact that this is being redone as a movie since the Western canon has been under attack by the Marxist crowd in academics for so long they hate it's anything that's Western civilization. I mean, this is like core Western civilization stuff. David French tweeted out over the weekend. He said, I just watched The Odyssey. Glorious, incredible, so much to unpack. I'll be thinking about it for days. But if I had to sum up the native narrative arc in one sentence, it would be this, heedless people, you will pay.
Speaker 2: For what you've destroyed.
Speaker 1: Another a conservative commentator I like, said I haven't seen it, but my favorite comment should be is that the Golden Rule is real, and you better believe it. Seems to be the story of the whole movie. I've never read the Odyssey. I'm somewhat embarrassed by that.
Speaker 3: I don't think there are half a percent of the people gathered here at this moment who've read The Odyssey.
Speaker 2: Charles CD B.
Speaker 1: Cook said the anti Odyssey crusade by some no more constitutes movie criticisms criticism than last summer's freak out over Sidney Sweeney's denim commercial.
Speaker 2: And he really liked it.
Speaker 1: There is the whole It's not as good as the book crowd, which you've always railed against. Anybody who says that. I've said it many times in my life. And sometimes I see a movie and it's not as good as the book and it bothers me.
Speaker 2: But you can't.
Speaker 1: There are certain things you can't do in a movie that you can do in a book.
Speaker 2: It's just a fact.
Speaker 3: As reading.
Speaker 1: Our friend Tim Sanderfer really didn't like the stuff that was left out of the movie.
Speaker 3: But it sounds to me like stuff that you couldn't put in a movie. It'd be impossible. I can't remember whether it was Chris Columbus or I'm bet at Directors, one of the guys who directed some of the Harry Potter movies was responding, this is early on in that series, to the criticism that there's so much not in the book, and he said, if I were to dramatize the book on the screen, this movie would be thirty seven hours long, something to that effect, because there's just so much more volume in a.
Speaker 2: Right, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So from that standpoint, it's always an interesting criticism. If you haven't I think it's an eight hundred page book to read the Odyssey, Well, how long did it take you to read that? And then you expect that to be not leave anything out, even in a three hour movie. Well, right, if it took you forty hours to read it, obviously it doesn't quite make sense, right. I can't wait to see it now. I we'll talk about it when I do. But if it's if it's the Golden Rule, come to the screen.
Speaker 3: I like the idea of that. Looking forward to that myself. Some more blows to land accounts against socialism, and it's time we all started doing it, because man, it is coming on like a freight train. Stay with us.
Speaker 8: And video circulating online appearing to show projectiles falling over the base, some intercepted, but others making a direct hit. Sources telling us one of those strikes hit a housing containment unit, raising questions among some military experts about Iran's capabilities, despite the administration saying the Iranian military was decimated.
Speaker 3: That's smart the rat it's reporting.
Speaker 1: Yesterday we struck around for the ninth night in a row, but they were striking back at all kinds of different stuff. Some of our military bases. We had three killed over the weekend, including they just released the name of one Private Isabella Gonzalez, nineteen year old girl from Carlton, Texas man. Small towns keep our military going. Yeah, I cannot sate them.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I came across some analysis that was talking about how Iran has actually uped its game missile wise, and their missiles seem more capable and sophisticated than they did even in recent memory.
Speaker 1: And where we're getting help from and their targeting is better, And yeah, that's why the reporting over the weekend was they it looks like they might be getting help from China and Russia. I don't know how we handle that. That's a pretty big deal for China and Russia to help Iran kill US soldiers.
Speaker 2: Martha Raddos goes on This.
Speaker 8: Nearly five month long war, which began with the US and Israel launching strikes on Iran, appears to have once again brought traffic through the critical Straight of Horror Moves to a crawl. Market data shows only eight vessels navigated the Straight on Friday, although Energy Secretary Chris Wright is disputing that almost all the public data I've seen is incorrect.
Speaker 3: There's flow through two routes through the Straight of horm Moves.
Speaker 8: The renewed finding spiking the cost of oil and gas a gallon of gas now four dollars.
Speaker 1: So Trump declared the Straight open. Remember that week and a half or so go. It ain't open. It's a long way from open. N Bremer made the point, and I think he's right.
Speaker 2: We can.
Speaker 1: We have the ability to blockade the Straight, which hurts. I ran, well, we don't have the ability to open the Straight, So we can blockade it and keep it closed, you know, basically blockading their blockade.
Speaker 2: But we can't open it.
Speaker 3: Not in the short term. No, it would take a war war effort to do that. It's not a task. It's part of the great task.
Speaker 1: We'll get to our capabilities. Eclient task we should do.
Speaker 3: I should say, we'll.
Speaker 1: Get to the capabilities we've got. According to the Washington Post, in just a minute. But like right at this moment, air raid sirens are going off Bahrain because Iran it's firing missiles into Bahrain. The speaking of navigation of the seas, this is new news too. The Iranian backed Houthy terrorist group in Yemen Remember Them, has announced a total ban on maritime navigation by Saudi Arabia under the principle of a blockade for a blockade, citing their full writ industries to respond to any reckless acts by the Kingdom of Saudi. So the Houthis are saying they're blockading that waterway over there because we're blockading the Straight of hor Moves, and Saudi Arabia is on our side. So there you go. In terms of whether or not it's going to turn to a greater war or not. The Saudi Arabia flex their muscles against the Houthis and say, no, we get to do what we want in our little area.
Speaker 3: I'd be shocked if it didn't expand given what we've heard today, I don't what's the off The New York Times with a hilarious headline that excuse me. The United States and Iran offered hints today that they were willing to restart talks.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I just saw that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's some talk of mediators trying to get some sort of ceasefire going so we can talk about this a ceasefire, which would only benefit.
Speaker 3: The Iranians, right an agreement.
Speaker 1: If they agree to a cease fire, it's because they're waiting to fix this or that or get a shipment of something from China or Russia. If they agree to a cease fire, it ain't because they have any interest in, you know, not getting a nuclear weapon, or no longer wanting Israel to go away, or any of those things.
Speaker 3: Right Right, Marco said that if that door opens, we'll be happy to see it open. But he added that Iran's behavior has to change in order for ours to change. In other words, what are we talking about? Right?
Speaker 1: Mentioned this earlier in the show, but the Washington Post, and you never know if it's true or not because the Washington Post hates Trump. And this is a an official speaking on the condition of anonymity, not authorized to speak to the media. The US is planning for a wider war, said this US official with internal administration discussions, He's got knowledge of that, adding that the Pentagon was increasing the number of military aircraft in the region that is known. This official, speaking in anonestment anonymously, cautioned that the expansion of US operations will be limited by dwindling stockpiles of air defense and long range munitions, and constraints on the ability to serge more troops and aircraft into the area because of battle damage. We do not have enough to safely sustain operations. And I don't think the White House is aware of that. This official said, I find that one hard to believe.
Speaker 3: That last part.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is somebody not telling the White House the true trouble we're in, or the reality or.
Speaker 3: Just the facts. I find that hard to believe. There have been plenty of examples of lying up the chain of command, but man, that's a big one. Oh yeah, we have plenty of room for the troops here at recently bombed air base, I mean, mistroubling.
Speaker 1: Military experts have said that, in addition to the toll taken on US equipment and munition stocks, the US is unprepared for possible ground operations inside Iran that.
Speaker 2: Trump last week refused to rule out.
Speaker 1: The recent US troop deaths have revived questions about the safety of forces at our bases and a lot of talk about how some of them are living in tents or thin metal walled buildings that are.
Speaker 3: Very vulnerable to Ranian attacks. That statement that we're not prepared for a what did it call it an invasion or whatever? Uh huh, that's a little phrase that says a lot. No, we're not ready to for a land war in Iran, a large scale invasion of that country. Miles and miles and miles from being ready for it.
Speaker 1: Well, I'd say in that whole little couple paragraphs of bad news, the biggest one is if the White House is unaware of how unprepared the military is, that would be really, really bad.
Speaker 3: I hope that is not happening. Hard to imagine that knowledge would come via an anonymous source in the wells in the Washington Post.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's that hard to imagine. If it were going on and you really cared about the military and everything, you'd want to get the word out they aren't telling the president things are not good.
Speaker 3: That would be an enormous, horrific scandal. I'm not saying it's not happening because I don't know, but that would be terrible.
Speaker 1: Well, remember toward the end of the Afghan War when the Washington Post again and had that quite explosive story at the time that people have been misleading Barack Obama for years on how successful things were going in Afghanistan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's systemic in the Russian military. You'd hope it's not happening in ours. But you know, that's that's a bad, bad thought. So what is Pete keeping it a secret? It's nobody telling Pete hegseeth the situation. Don't know, but I just hope that's not true.
Speaker 1: No kidding, we're we're and and if China and Russia is either giving them better rockets and missiles or better targets so they're able to hit our bases, man, that's going to get the public's attention real fast.
Speaker 2: I mean, I was horrified that I.
Speaker 1: Watched two evening newscasts just to kind of get an idea of and I realize nobody watches the news anymore like this, but I just try to get an idea of what the biggest news outlets think are the important things going on on any given day. And uh, one of the news I watch, ABC and CBS. One of them led with the soccer then got to oh, by the way, three soldiers died over the weekend in our war. The other network led with the soldiers dying, which I think is the appropriate thing to lead with.
Speaker 3: That's a big deal.
Speaker 1: We could we could easily have a week where one hundred people are lost with these rockets hitting bases because they're fining them at us all the time, and either the technology the rockets is getting better or their ability to uh point them in the right direction. Is getting better thanks to Russia and China. But that's going to get America's attention. God dang it, it's not going the right way.
Speaker 3: No, it is not. Where where did I Where the heck did I put that? There's a great editorial in one of your more conservative places. I know I have. Oh, there it is. It's uh Alicia Finley, I think, yeah, sure enough, Alicia Finnley is talking about you're mentioned of the checking the big news outlets. The big news outlet is TikTok. Yeah, and Alicia Finley pointed out Chinese election appairance the interference that the president was talking about. What the hell about TikTok. It's the leading source of news for young people and it is expressly pro China, and we're allowing it in the country, and we're worried about Russia having some Facebook posts that forty three people looked at. Ah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Before we take a break, have you been following the story of Jimothy the Raccoon?
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, yes, it's a deformed raccoon. I know. I don't get the mode the world. I don't either. When I first saw they can't stop putting with a spinal condition, so it's weirdly shaped and it's become a meme or something.
Speaker 1: It's well, it's like you know some times that happens with human beings. You get all twisted up. You're born that way, or something happens to you. Are you supposed to stare and point at those people?
Speaker 5: Know?
Speaker 1: But for the grace of God, here with the raccoon. They keep putting it on the various news channels.
Speaker 3: Look, how cute this is a little raccoon that's got a deformity running our frost the yard. What the people who have given it a weird name online?
Speaker 5: Yay?
Speaker 3: Kind of a story? Is that? You're right? I don't know what to do with the modern world. Kids can't read, they can't write, They don't know history, but they know Jimothy the deformed raccoon.
Speaker 1: Even if you can't, not a bother ratoon deformed raccoon?
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: People can read, but they don't read. The Atlantic with a big piece on the death of reading that nobody read that stupid nice job writing a really long article about nobody reads.
Speaker 4: Good.
Speaker 3: Thank think about it for a second, dude.
Speaker 1: Freed Zakaria had the author of that article on she had a couple of things that were horrifying to me yesterday about reading and the young people. Oh my god, Oh my god. There's got to be a pony internet somewhere. Where's where's the good news? We need some good news? Oh boy, talk about the kind of interesting among other things.
Speaker 3: On the way stay here.
Speaker 9: Paul Pelosi has received at least eight driving citations in the last decade since his recent hit and run, including speeding, going through red lights, d u I, and driving down a one way street. His excuse, he says he was rushing to get in his stock trades under the wire.
Speaker 1: That's a pretty good joke. I hate to work this side of the street, but it's true. You're a young black man and young Hispanic dude. You get to run all those red light, speed, drive drunk, do all that stuff all those times and have no problems, like Paul Pelosi.
Speaker 3: That's a hell of a record. I mean, that's practically impossible. Do you think you don't see cops traffic cops anymore. You'd have to drive like a psycho to get that many citations. It seems that he does. Wow, getting over you old crackpot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one goal in an hour and twenty five minutes. Minutes longer than that. Uh, that's not enough goals.
Speaker 3: So here's a goal. Score some goals.
Speaker 2: Here's a goal.
Speaker 3: Entertain me. It's a goal goal. Get after a chaselawais. You can have a shot clock, get it, get that soccer ball over the mid line, or you lose a guy or something. Your goalie's got to put a blindfold something. You can, you know, work out the particulars. I don't know.
Speaker 1: In ty one of his hands to his one foot the opposite foot. Wow, I really really, really really really enjoy reading. It's among my favorite things to do. But uh, those of us who like to read, we are a dying breed. Like they call it deep reading. Now you have to separate scrolling on your phone. You are technically reading, but that's not what we're talking about. Like deep reading.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you.
Speaker 1: Count long magazine articles, I suppose you would, but like books in general, it's just gone off a cliff. People reading. And there's an article in the Atlantic right now written by a woman named Rose Horowitch called the end of Reading is here, and she uses the example of the Library of Alexandria, which I did not know this the famous Library of Alexandria, which was Alexander the Great, uh put together the greatest repository of knowledge in the history of the world at that time, like everything that was known was in one amazing library. And then the story forever was that when Caesar conquered that area of the planet, they burned it down and so many things were lost, like they were on the fact that the planets went around the Sun and not the Earth, you know, thousands of years before it may but the dark ages, the old story was came upon us because all this knowledge was wiped out down the Library of Alexandria. They've discovered in recent decades. I guess that that is not what happened at all. People lost interest in reading, so nobody funded the library anymore, and all the books just disintegrated. Eventually it burnt down, but the books disintegrated just nobody cared about reading anymore. They lost interest in it. So nobody back then you had to rewrite stuff on a regular basis because the paper would disintegrate, and they just stopped funding scribes, and nobody cared that they weren't funding.
Speaker 2: Scribes and just know wrote it down anymore, and it all went away.
Speaker 1: And the point of this Atlantic article is that we're basically doing the same thing.
Speaker 2: The story that all the knowledge was wiped out.
Speaker 1: In a sudden, catastrophic, catastrophic fire is a myth. What happened was collective apathy, neglect, and a lack of interest in reading. And that is what we're doing now. It is not that the disappearance of a library led to a dark age, nor that its survival would have improved those ages. The fact that the library was allowed to die showed that the Dark Ages had already arrived. And she's making the article that we maybe you know, upon the dark age again, where people just have lost interest in deep knowledge of those things. We just want to be kind of entertained for a little while or outraged with stuff that may or may not be true.
Speaker 3: Partly because in public schools we don't study history in a serious way. Even when we were kids, I did not know until an embarrassingly advanced age that the Dark Ages came like post fairly enlightened periods. It hadn't occurred to me. I did not know that progress is a two way street that frequently civilizations go backward and badly. Yeah, it's worth remembering when I don't know, lunatics with a lunatic political point of view start to take over.
Speaker 1: And then combine that with the fact that people don't read. Reading is collapsing across every single demographic, even among college graduates, retirees, and women who historically read the most. Doesn't matter what group you're talking about, people don't read. And then I've seen the stats about the average person hasn't read a book in however, how many years and blah blah blah compared to and I mean you compare it to a couple of decades ago. It's a off a cliff, which is disturbing. We're going to give away the Enlightenment to another era of illiterate.
Speaker 3: Like I said earlier, get good with firearms, develop a taste for human flesh, and raise your own hogs. You got three things on your to do list, all right, be ready for the coming AI socialist apocalypse.
Speaker 1: Two of them I can already kind of do that. Third one is going to be tough. If you missed a seconde of the podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand Armstrong and Getty