Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news. Bloomberg Tech is live from coast to coast with Caroline Hide in New York and Vla low in sentrances.
Speaker 2: Go, this is Bloomberg Tech coming up hot week for IPOs. After fintech company Klana yesterday, we look today to blockchain lender Figure will be joined by its executive chairman.
Speaker 3: Plus, Apple sentiment sours again with more analyst downgrades, the lowest of five years.
Speaker 4: We talk the stock price and iPhone price, and.
Speaker 2: We speak with box CEO Aaron Levy, is the company of bails new AI products at its annual Boxworks conference.
Speaker 3: Let's check in on these markets because as we anticipate in conversation on AI with Aaron Levy, we think about how much AI stocks are supporting this market rally. We are up for a seventh straight day on the Nazak one hundred. We're in a new record high five tenths of a percent. But you get underneath the index ed and show us the individual's stocks to look at.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some of the technology stories today are stock stories. So mikecron got its price target raised at City. There are other names in the streets saying Micron has earning September twenty third. We talk a little bit about Oracle and the momentum in the hyperscale as well memory Chip's key to the data center. They see upside for that Oracle had its best day since nineteen ninety two yesterday. It is now giving back some of those gains down a little bit. And then there's Klaner, a company that iPod yesterday at forty.
Speaker 5: Opened at fifty two.
Speaker 2: I think I'm right in saying session high fifty seven closed around forty five. Where we at we're at forty five there or thereabouts. There's a lot more to discuss on that IPO momentum, though correct.
Speaker 4: No, it isn't this a perfect person to do it with.
Speaker 3: Bloomberg's Aishagani joins us you cover Klan I have done for years, spoken a lot with the AI version of the CEO and the CEO himself.
Speaker 4: I share.
Speaker 3: I'm just interested as to what you deem as the success story of yesterday's listing in the performance today.
Speaker 6: Absolutely just to set the scene. With Sequoia, who have of course invested in Kana for a long time, they made a two point seven billion dollar windfall and over the years, they had invested around five hundred million, which kind of indicates that when Karna popped yesterday, a lot of investors were quite happy. Others had held on to their onto their shares while others sold so it was extremely successful day, but we yet to see how things will pan out.
Speaker 2: One of the things that we discussed with the company CEO yesterday on the program was the idea that this isn't just a buy now, pay later name. They want to be this kind of everything app and when a company IPOs, it's not always about raising money, like you just pointed out, it's about getting the name out there. Do you get a sense I show that that story is resonating that Klana is so much more than buy now, pay later.
Speaker 6: I'm sure as many of your viewers would have seen yesterday across Ford Street and of Macy's, they would have seen the Kana banner draping many of New York's hotspots. But I suppose what's been fascinating about their story is this is a European fintech and it is now global. Their largest market is in the US, and a lot of people will be quite familiar with Klana at checkout when they're shopping, and of course now Klana is going into banking and that's basically the next big push in order to keep those customers.
Speaker 4: On the app for longer.
Speaker 3: Look, it is a success story for European VC, for European tech, and all eyes on Revolute now the UK success story, it has a much bigger evaluation in the private market.
Speaker 6: I'm glad you raised Revolue.
Speaker 4: Last week.
Speaker 6: I was reporting that Revlue is now engaging its staff in a semi twenty five billion dollar share sale and which is absolutely staggering when you think about it. But of course Klana has been private for twenty years now, so it's an indication of where private firms like Revolute and Klana are thinking in terms of next steps. Will definitely be eyeing this.
Speaker 7: Of course, Klana.
Speaker 6: Has iPod on the New York Stock Exchange and a lot of these firms are still deciding where to go. But I'm sure a lots of them will be looking at the Klana CEO Sebastian Simikowski and the sort of media attention that he had received and also the investor sentiment as well, and would be hoping that they could capture some of that too Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: Zai Shighani, thank you very much. So let's bring Anna Rathburn on broader tech market. She's the CEO and founder of wealth management firm Grenadilla Advisory.
Speaker 5: And you heard what I had to say, right.
Speaker 2: You know, it's been several consecutive weeks and months of interesting ipo, many of them fintech related. Is there a broader signal that you've taken in the investor response to those IPOs?
Speaker 8: Anna, Yeah, good morning. I think it's nice to see fintech IPOs, and I think it's also nice to see tech stories that are not necessarily AI related. These are fintech companies that are coming in the line to actually directly interact with the consumers. And if we pay attention to what the CEO said yesterday, it was really about revolutionizing the way people actually fund their purchases. And I think some of this is very refreshing. I think we're going to have to have a lot of creative ideas like that one in order for investors to get excited, because right now all the attention seems to be on AI.
Speaker 2: And a specific to Klana is the discussion about going public versus staying private, like some of their peers did, and we discussed on the program the merits of staying private, what it does for some of Clona's peers, like Revolute. But on the other side of the table, what kind of a signal is it that a company is choosing to go public in this environment? What does it tell you about the health of public markets for technology in America.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think it's okay for companies to stay private, And frankly, this has been a trend for a very long time. This isn't anything new and it's okay because, frankly, a lot of the innovation, especially on the AI front, that is taking place, it's so new and so experimental that if you have those companies ipo too early, we may have something like the nineteen nineties tech bubble, where you know, the cash flow isn't a steady it's not as stable, and then you have a crash, right and everything is done on hope. So I actually don't mind companies, especially tech companies that are innovating and doing something very new, staying private for longer, and then after they have stabilized and have they're big enough to enter the io market. For the health of the retail investors, especially.
Speaker 3: What's fascinating is going back to the nineties. Yesterday Oracle had its biggest chev move in the night sense the nineties, and we saw significant value accretion not just for the shareholders but the main owner of those shares, who is the co founder, Larry Ellison, now the world's wealthiest ana. What do you make of the love being shown for the companies that can add to the infrastructure build out here?
Speaker 8: Yeah, and this has to do with the things that everybody is concerned about, which is a concentration.
Speaker 7: In the S and P five hundred.
Speaker 8: It is made up of mega, mega tech stacks and frankly, if you think about what it takes to build infrastructure, to build the picks and shovels, it takes a very very big check. And these aren't things that venture companies can do. These aren't things that small companies can do and put on their balance sheet. These are things that big, big companies can do. So I think invest are pouring out their love for all these big companies that are building the infrastructure because down the line, we don't know when, but down the line the timeline we're expecting to see the software companies really innovate and develop and bring out more than proof of concept and utilize these hardware and infrastructure.
Speaker 3: I mean, we need to see that because salesfills down on the year, Adobe has been suffering, and we've got the earnings after the Ballana.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we do need to see it, and I think the investors need to sort of fine tune their expectations and maybe start with dividing out hardware from software. Hardware we already know, we're very, very excited software. I think investors need to be a little bit more patient. What I see down the line potentially is, and really down the line, is that some of these venture companies will be successful in innovating and bringing out software that actually works and is reliable, and probably companies like Salesforce will end up acquiring them to incorporate them into their infrastructure.
Speaker 5: I know we're jumping around a bit with you, but we're enjoying it.
Speaker 2: You have a great command of everything across hardware and software, and is that not the world of technology?
Speaker 5: So I'm going to ask you about Micron.
Speaker 2: The market has a lot of enthusiasm for Micron, and they're just extrapolating from everything that's happened so far. Micron reports earnings on September twenty third. It's a memory chip maker, and the market's logic seems to be, well, if every other part of the data center story is booming, micro must be experiencing the same. Is that a typical behavior in markets that you see that kind of logic?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 8: I think it is because it's sort of the tie that lifts all boats, type of a mentality. It's not unlike to, oh, interest rates are falling, the FED is going to cut rates, Let's buy everything. And so I think in tech, as long as AI is still a little bit nebulous in terms of what we're expecting, I think you can expect that.
Speaker 4: And that's why this.
Speaker 8: AI train and tech train is a really hard thing to stop, even going into the fall in what historically is a difficult year, difficult time for stock market.
Speaker 2: What happens next? This is my favorite question to end a segment quickly. Balance of the year in tech?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think rates cutting, Yeah, it's great for markets, but tech is going to go up anyway. I think the AI story is very very strong. I do think that there is a risk still that we're not talking about necessarily because It's been a while since China and the negotiations on tariffs have been on the docket for discussion. It's been very, very quiet and in the background. Now, what happens in November with the Supreme Court, I think could be a risk. It's a binary risk, but I think I don't think the tech market is without its hurtles going into the end.
Speaker 4: Of the year.
Speaker 3: Anna Rathman, I've gone into the advisory It's so great to have you back on the show. We appreciate it. And coming up another day with an upsized typo. We're going to be talking with Mike Cagney, co found running exective chairman of blockchain based lender Figure as a company goes public as a.
Speaker 4: Bloomberg tech.
Speaker 2: The ipo market is proving strong this year. Take a look at some of the largest IPOs of twenty twenty five so far. Blockchain based Figure is next up and the company and investors raise seven hundred and eighty seven point five million dollars it shares the set to begin trading today. Figure co founder and executive chairman Mike Cagney joins US from the Nasdaq. We've also got Tim Senovik with US, host of Bloomberg Crypto as well, Mike, where we stand shares indicated to open at thirty four dollars. You price the IPO at twenty five. But there's intense interest in figure for two reasons, you've elected to go public, so we want to understand the rationale. But there's also this mechanism where you, as a founder or co founder retain a lot of control to explain the logic behind those two points.
Speaker 9: Sure, I think starting with the latter point, you know, obviously there's a lot of empirical research that shows that founder leg companies outperform, and it's important to keep that founder DNA within the business. You know, I'm fortunate to have a partner with Mike tan Obama CEO, where we've worked together before and we have a huge amount of synergy. But you know, obviously being able to drive product direction and innovation for Figures is very important for me and something I can continue to add value for I think, you know, as it relates to the IPO. You know, what we've done in a very different way is used real world access or real world assets within blockchain. So we started originating loans on blockchain in twenty eighteen. We were on the first entities to do that. We've done over seventeen billion dollars of loan origination on public chain, over fifty five billion dollars of transactions, and we've been able to build a very profitable, rapidly growing company in the last four years, which have been incredibly difficult from a regulatory standpoint. So going public now in a situation where the public market is now opening up to the opportunity at blockchain, you know, I view it and now so there's a magnificent seven and Web two point zero, I think there's going to be the equivalent in Web three point zero. I think we're one of those companies, and so we're very excited to be going in public today.
Speaker 3: At the NASDAC and the NASDAK itself, Mike is pushing towards those tokenized real world assets in the form of equities. How much of a tailwind is that going to be to the business, So how much you want to actually own that space?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think equities is the next big area we want to lean in on. So obviously we've done an enormous amount of work in the private credit space and brought the benefits of blockchain into that ecosystem through liquidity and financing capabilities. But equities are the next thing we want to lean in to do. And I think one of the things that we're exploring is the ability for figure to do a second fast follow issuance of stock, but do it native to blockchain, not as a DTCC security, and that introduces some efficiencies and introduces some liquidity benefits, but I think most importantly for the buyside, it introduces the ability to control your stock for stock loan, and I think that's a huge differentiator over the way that we do things historically.
Speaker 3: And Mike, how do you want to be the owners either the token ised sequities or in the equity more broadly, have you looking to the real retail community or is this much more about institutional holding.
Speaker 9: Look, one of the things I really like about blockchain is it's a great leveling force. It's a democratization of financial services. And so, you know, we gave retail one of the largest allocations of the IPO. I think that maybe anyone's ever done because of how important retail is to us, and so you know, we view that as an integral part of the ecosystem that we're building out That doesn't mean that the institutions aren't equally important. We have over one hundred and seventy partners that use our tech to originate assets on chain, and they're critical to our growth and success. But retail is very much right down the center of the area of focus for us.
Speaker 10: Mike, considering the success that you've had with on chain loan origination and using AI to quickly approve these loans digitally, what's going to stop a traditional financial institution coming in and doing the same thing. What's your mode here?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think the biggest mode is the liquity that we've been able to build within the ecosystem, the marketplace that we have we call it Figure Connect, and for the first time, we're allowing originators to be able to directly access capital outside of the GSS, outside of Fanny and Freddie, where they can sell forward production, guarantee pricing, guarantee liquidity. That's a huge moat. I think that's going to become very pressing as the Stable Coin Act begins to take effect and you start to see deposit flight out of banks into coin. Banks are going to be stressed in the liability side. They're not going to have their balance sheet the way they historically have, and I think that's where blockchain and in particular decentralized finance can step in and fill that void. And so I don't see so much people trying to replicate the model, but leverage the economy of scale that's there and actually lean in and be part of it.
Speaker 10: No question, crypto assets have absolutely had a moment over the last year. A big part of that has to do with this administration. But crypto winter is not too far into recent memory. What happens to figure during the next crypto winter? What do investors need to know about how you sustain.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Look, crypto is obviously integral to the workings of book blockchains. It allows for the decentralization of the networks. We are very much a blockchain company, and so what we're doing is bring the transactional efficiency, liquidity and financing benefits of blockchain into every asset. So we're somewhat immune from the volatility of the price of crypto and bitcoin in particular. You know, obviously we're involved in those markets, but we're a little more insulated and a little more exposed to traditional finance. But on a web three construct.
Speaker 3: Mike You've obviously created a liquidity moment for you for employees. You're also raising funds potentially to make acquisitions where would be a useful addition.
Speaker 9: Certainly, the blockchain space, in the crypto space is generally subscale, so there's an enormous amount of consolidation. I like to view the raising of this capital analogous to a last company. I raised a billion dollars of capital, was the largest private raise ever done. I raised it from SoftBank, and it ended up being an enormous competitive advantage for us in the balance sheet in terms of our ability to take risks that our competitors couldn't. I viewed that analogous here as well. It's really having that balance sheet to lean in and do some really disruptive work in blockchain and crypto over the next several years.
Speaker 10: You said you want to do a second fast follow. You also said in the S one that you plan to use some of the proceeds from this IPO for acquisitions. Specifically, what are those.
Speaker 9: We don't have any specific acquisition and in line right now, we're looking at the market. We're always open to those conversations. Again, it's a subscale space, so there's an enormous amount of opportunity out there, but you know, we're very focused on just core execution right now.
Speaker 3: Mike Cagney, so good to have you co founder executive chair for Figure along with our own Timsteentivic.
Speaker 4: Thank you. And then you've got some breaking news.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we do have some breaking news crossing the Bloomberg terminal. Hyundai has decided to delay the construction of a battery plant in Georgia following a raid by the United States, which was part of a broader effort you'll remember, to crack down on undocumented workers. Hyundai has communicated its decision to delay the construction of that Georgia plant in an interview with Bloomberg, which was with the CEO Josimonnos. He's basically saying that there is a plan still for the JV which is between Hyundai and LG, to resume in two to three months, and that the plant will need new workers to resume construction. But for now, that is the breaking news headline from Bloomberg. The Hyundai in a JV with LG has decided to delay construction in Georgia following that US raid, which was on September the eighth, you'll remember Kroen.
Speaker 4: Such an important geopolitical story.
Speaker 2: D Apple getting hit with a pair of downgrades today at DA Davidson and Philip Security is the latest sign a bit of caution toward the iPhone maker, which has sharply underperformed it's large cap tech piers this year. It's off the back of its new iPhone lineup launch earlier this week. Bloomberg's consumer tech managing editor Mark German is back and joins us for more. There's so much analysis that needs to be done on the line up of the iPhone seventeen. It's technological capabilities, but also it's price points.
Speaker 5: And in your latest.
Speaker 2: You write simply that this might be Apple getting us ready for the idea of a two thousand dollars handset, which you just explained the reporting and argument you're making.
Speaker 11: Of course, so for the first time in the US, Apple's offering a two thousand dollars tier of the iPhone. It's a niche device, it's the iPhone seventeen promacs with two terabytes of storage. But the point I'm really making, beyond the fact that there is now a two thousand dollars tier, is that we are getting towards the era of two thousand dollars phones. Anyways, look at the pricing for this year's models. They did not raise the prices. I think two reasons. One Samsung and Google didn't, so it would be really hard for Apple to do so in a meaningful way. Two of the tariffs really haven't kicked in for Apple yet, so it would be a bad look for them to raise prices two to tariffs when the tariffs haven't even started.
Speaker 7: The reality is these phone tariffs will kick in.
Speaker 11: At some point, and so I'm not room Apple raising prices later when the prices actually have to be adjusted for Apple to retain its margins, and that is probably going to bring the phone up a couple hundred bucks, right, And then you look at next year. Next year they're going to release their first foldable. Samsung's foldable already costs over two thousand dollars. The iPhone Air, which is essentially as the foldable, maybe less, that costs one thousand dollars. So you can put pretty good money on the idea that Apple will be launching a base price two thousand dollars iPhone twelve months from now. And then you look beyond twenty twenty seven to twenty anniversary iPhone, the glass wing, it's all glass, it has translucency, much more advanced technologies, very similar concept to one thousand dollars iPhone ten in twenty seventeen.
Speaker 7: You're going to see price increases there too. So maybe the.
Speaker 11: Two thousand dollars iPhone because it's the highest tier two terabyte model this year, may seem like a joke, but it will happen.
Speaker 7: In the next twelve twenty four months regardless.
Speaker 3: And maybe Mark that's what analysts need to see to really start to get excited about the stock again from a profitability perspective, because at the moment, with these two downgrades, looking at gil Luria saying basically we were left uninspired, it feels as though they haven't managed to garner much excitement this time round.
Speaker 11: Yeah, you know, I rarely agree with the Wall Street analysts, and I will hold to that. I actually think that this year's iPhones are going to sell incredibly well.
Speaker 7: As I've said many times on this program and elsewhere. What really sells new iPhones is the design. The orange color. I like it.
Speaker 11: Some may find it ridiculous, but don't discount it. Don't discount Apple's marketing around dat device and how new it is, the aluminum unibody.
Speaker 12: You name it.
Speaker 11: The functionality may not be much different, but it looks different, and then that's going to be good enough to spur sales.
Speaker 7: Don't forget there are.
Speaker 11: A lot of people who have held on to their iPhones the past four or five years because the design hasn't changed much.
Speaker 7: Now it's finally changed, there's probably going to be some pent up demand.
Speaker 3: I'm all in on Orange, particularly today, and we appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to bloombag Tech.
Speaker 3: Let's get to Adobe reporting its earnings after the closing bell today.
Speaker 4: Investors, well, they have watched Adobe's.
Speaker 3: Shares get left behind in the AI craze. Maybe they've got a little rison to be optimistic ahead of its results.
Speaker 4: Bloomberg's tech reporter Matt Day is here to discuss.
Speaker 3: We are down twenty one percent year to date, with down forty percent in terms of the last twelve months. Matt, it's all about competition. Is there anyway it can prove that actually it's still got it?
Speaker 13: I think a lot's going to depend on the forecast. You know, Adobe's been trying to put AI all over its products. It's got a Firefly product, It's invested a whole lot into that kind of smatters AI across its creative suite. But investors haven't seen the results that they would have hoped for. You know, the last few quarters has been disappointing guidance after disappointing guidance. It's like they're looking at flatish profitability that go around, So they'd have to definitely do something to change the narrative.
Speaker 5: We focus a lot on the stock performance.
Speaker 2: It's down forty percent over the last year, twenty five percent year to day. But if you park it one to one moment, I feel like Adobe has not stopped talking about all of its AI stuff, Like do we understand in the newsroom at the story about why Adobe's just not been able to convince anyone that all the AI attachments you talked about are actually paying off?
Speaker 13: Well, I think they got to convince their buyers, you know, first off, that this is worth you know, sometimes showing an extra four, sometimes using you know, it's it's largely a similar story to to what we've seen with other AI tools in the enterprise, right that like is it is it something fuel because the're piloting is something they're taking wholesale and for now, you know, it'll be facing a lot of inroads from you know, not just the sort of freemium AI native upstarts, but also just chat GBT. Right, are the pure AI tools kind of taking taking some of that creative demand and illustrations and all like that Adobe depends on.
Speaker 3: And it's a global story. We understand that, you know, the likes of deep Sea can Now Bite Dance. They got great in the generations that are taking the world by storm across the field. When you're looking at the fundamentals, revenue isn't that bad. We're likely to post nine percent growth. But the problem is it just keeps on shrinking in terms of growth.
Speaker 13: Yeah, and the other problem, I mean they've they've forecasted something like two hundred and fifty million dollars in recurring revenue from AI. You know, that's that's not a ton on their enormous user base. Folks would like to see more to move the stock. So they still have a whole lot to prove in terms of people actually form the shell out and we'll want to use these tools. You know, the expense of a canva or a FIGMA or a CHGPT.
Speaker 2: If anything, it just demonstrates us like earning season continues, the next big tech name to go is Adobe, and that's why we're grateful for Bloomberg's Matt Day joining us here on Bloomberg Tech. After the Bell, we'll go back to it tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 2: For the next episode of Bloomberg Tech Europe, Tom McKenzie speaks exclusively with Demis Hassabis, the Nobel laureate responsible for all of Alphabet's core AI work and the co founder and CEO of Google deep Mind. The subace is also on a mission to harness AI to quote soul all disease through his work at the London base Alphabet subsidiary Isomorphic Labs. Here's a part of that conversation.
Speaker 14: Well, that was always the kind of holy girl in a way, is to try and tackle cancer. But we've also done it for practical reasons as well, because you know, the clinical aspects of that are favorable for new drugs because obviously the disease is so serious and so there are a number of reasons we pick those two areas. Also, partly what we think is going to the platform is going to be able to do early on.
Speaker 15: There's the speed and efficiency that the platform brings to it.
Speaker 12: There's the quality as well.
Speaker 15: Of course, when we're thinking about pre clinical research and AI drug discovery usually using the old methods. You were talking what three to six years? How to what extent can you cut that time frame down?
Speaker 14: I think in the fullness of time, when our platform is mature in the next couple of years, I'd like to see that cut down into a matter of months instead of years. That's what I think is possible, perhaps even far than that, so kind of order of magnitude speed up. But you know, we'll see if that's possible. There's a lot of work we've got to do first. But you know, initial, initial worker initial signs are very promising.
Speaker 15: Back in March, you've raised your first extent of funding six hundred million US dollars and you're putting that to play in different paths to build out the platform. But also talent seems to be part of that. When you think about talent, when you think about people like Mark Zuckerberg signing checks for two hundred million dollars, what does that signal to you?
Speaker 14: Well, Lena, that's a slightly different market, which is the pure sort of AGI market, let's say. But it's and you know whether or not that's rational, and I think our organizations need to think through themselves. But I do think AI is going to be one of the biggest technologies, if not the biggest, that humanity will ever event so in some sense that is rational. But on the other hand, in it's particlarly with isomorphic. We have such a compelling mission of applying AI to to improve human health. I mean, what better use of AI is there than that? And that's a really compelling and compelling proposition for both our investors, our and our staff.
Speaker 3: We've got to catch the full conversation and it's in the next edition of Bloemberg Tech Europe. It's quite early though Eastern time, one thirty am six thirty am in London, but you can catch it online too. Now, coming up, we speak with Repless CEO I'm Jad Massad about the startup's latest funding round and the excitement surrounding the Vibe coding space.
Speaker 4: This is Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 2: AI coding startup Replet has a new valuation three billion dollars, nearly tripling its previous value.
Speaker 5: We broke the story.
Speaker 2: Yesterday it closed the two hundred and fifty million dollar funding round led by Prison Capital, with American Express Ventures, Google's AI Futures Fund, and existing backers like Andreson Howitz and why Combinator I'm Jad Masad Replet CEO and founder joins us. Now something is happening in AI and coding in particular. There is a lot of momentum behind you and a number of your peers. Why, you know, like the valuations, the headline, but what's the thing underneath that that's driving it?
Speaker 16: You know, Since the dawn of computing, the holy grail the vision of using computers is the ability to program them. And there's been many attempts across the years, in most recently with the no code and low code movement, but it.
Speaker 12: Really never achieved the potential.
Speaker 16: And today with AI, you can conjure up software by merely speaking them and that's really a magical feeling and it's transforming all sorts of jobs, not just programming, but others as well.
Speaker 2: And Jack, can we do a vibe check and talk about vibe coding? Are you in the camp of people that accept that vibe coding was coined by Andre Kape earlier in the year and now.
Speaker 5: It's a big thing.
Speaker 2: I think our audience would really appreciate understanding what is vibe coding and what do people say things like that?
Speaker 16: Yeah, yeah, I mean looking again at the history of computing, Grace Hopper in the nineteen fifties, then Venor the compiler talked about what we need to do is get to a position where we're coding in English, and that was always a vision, and so Carpathi last year, in his experience coding, said, I'm starting to trust AI more and as I'm coding THEI is presenting the code, I'm just typing natural language and I just accepted. So that was sort of the coinage of the term. But obviously that's something that people have been doing since chat GBT.
Speaker 12: We started seeing it at a Replet. We released Replet.
Speaker 16: Agents in September twenty twenty four and it was the first coding agent on the market where you don't even have to look at the code, so you just type your prompt just say I want to build like a storefront for my pet store, and it will like in a few minutes.
Speaker 12: You'll to see the website.
Speaker 16: You can say I want to add login, I want to add my stripe integration, and boom, you have a website that's being built. So vibe coding initially was coined by a Carpaty for professionals, saying that you can move a lot faster, you can.
Speaker 12: Iterate very quickly. But our take on it is really.
Speaker 16: Anyone can program, and that's transforming not just software engineering. We have people designers, product managers, finance people, operations people. Everyone is automating their jobs, building tools around their jobs.
Speaker 12: And that's what vibecoding is doing.
Speaker 3: And so now with the progress in your agents from agent one of just doing two minutes of work and now we're up to two hundred minutes with your Agent three, are you doing engineers and software designers out of a job?
Speaker 12: Well, I don't think so. I think we're empowering them.
Speaker 16: So if you look at some of our customers, what they're saying, for example, we have dual Lingo and Zilos, some of are exciting customers in the enterprise. What they're telling us is they're cutting product development life cycle by up to fifty percent. So previously, when you want to produce a new feature, new product, what you would do a product manager would sit down write a very long document that we call a PRD. We'll pass it to the designer. Designer takes that. Typically they misunderstand some aspect of it because it's a lot, and they produce a mock and then a mock goes to the engineer. They also understand some aspect of it, so there's a lot of communication issues there. So what they're doing right now is a product manager, instead of going from text to design to program, they go straight to program. So they generate a prototype, they pass that prototype to the designer and the engineer and the iteration loop just goes much faster. So companies are a lot more productive, they're shipping faster, and that's really how we're transforming software in the enterprise.
Speaker 2: And I think the blombag tech audience would love to learn a bit more about Redplit as a company. Yeah, you know again, headline is the tripling of the valuation. But how have you grown internally? What are the main priorities for you in terms of onboarding talent?
Speaker 16: You know, we set up this really big vision when we started the company in twenty sixteen. We said we're going to empower a billion people to be able to create software, and people were investors especially, who were laughing us out of the room. It's like, yeah, no, no way, A billion people would want to learn how to code. But we kept talking about how AI is going to change things. We built a platform that removes all the complexity from creating software. And that's not just the code, that's you know, creating the development environment, that's creating a database and managing it, that's deploying it. And so we spent ten years, eight or nine years before the company took off commercially. You know, last year about this time, we're about three million dollars in annual recurrent revenue release replet Agent one that sent us immediately to nine million dollars, but by the end of the year we were about you know, nine or ten million dollars, and then from there until July we fifteen x tow one hundred and fifty million dollar arr Agent V two made it so that you can go from the agent, you can give it an idea or work for two minutes and come back to you with questions or a lot of struggle. V two could work for twenty minutes. Now V three could work for two hundred minutes, and it's really becoming like your own programmer. You don't have to go hire a programmer off the market. You can just go to rapport, put in your idea, a report will work like a teammate.
Speaker 3: But you are hiring, and in many ways, that's why you've raised the funds. Amjad, I'm going to make it personal if you don't mind, but knowing your story of coming here to the United States back in what was it twenty twelve, the fact you came to New York, I just spoke with the Governor Kathy Hochel of New York who's worried about the access of talent for building technology here in New York. And I'm sure it's something you think about on the West Coast. Can you get the talent you need, particularly from outside of the United States.
Speaker 16: I think there's a lot of talent here and the out of states. Still, I think the salaries are getting quite absurd because of the funding that's going in AI, but I think we should do Obviously, immigration is still going to be very important to getting the best and the brightest people from all over the world to America. But also there's a lot of local talent here and I think Replet's also mission is.
Speaker 12: To teach people those skills.
Speaker 16: So Replets has always been used in schools and universities, and it's the best time ever if you're a student to start learning how to make software is so easy.
Speaker 12: You can make your first piece of.
Speaker 16: Software in a matter of like fifteen to twenty minutes. And so I think we're going to see an explosion of talent and people coming on the market being able to not just code, but you know, use chat, GPT, use mid journey, be able to design, be able to create videos. I think it's an amazing time for a student to be building a broad set of skills, and I think I don't think we're going.
Speaker 12: To have a talent problem.
Speaker 3: Really appreciate that on So thank you, Jadamasad's Replet CEO and founder. Congratulations on the Rais file management company. Box has unveiled a new set of agentic tools that it's annual BlockWorks conference and includes a kind of operating system for AI agents and an a cybersecurity tool. Let's get into it in Box CEO Aaron Levy, who joins us. Now, Aaron, what are you most excited about? Because there's a raft of things you're unveiling, whether it's about extracting data, whether it's about managing the raft of agents we're about to face.
Speaker 4: How are your consumers going to adopt it?
Speaker 17: Yeah, So I think the thing we're most excited about is that box we help companies manage their unstructured data. So if you think about ninety percent of data in the enterprise, are things like financial documents, contracts, invoices, research materials, all of that data. Traditionally you've never been able to tap into its scale inside of an organization. You kind of create it, you store it, you may look at it again, but you never really are able to actually put it in to a workflow or deeply understand what's inside that data. So we're announcing a set of capabilities with AI agents to let you actually finally tap into that data.
Speaker 7: The probably biggest.
Speaker 17: Part of the announcements of are new workflow automation capability Box automate, where you can design an end to end business process directly in box and then drop in AI agents at any step or multiple steps in that business process to let you go and bring automation to your unstructured workflows. So think about client onboarding at a bank, reviewing a contract at a law firm, being able to work through healthcare data. These are what you're going to be able to automate now at scale.
Speaker 3: And you're in like two thirds of the fortune five hundred.
Speaker 4: I really want to get a sense check of.
Speaker 3: How they're embracing these sorts of products, what effectiveness they're seeing, because with that MIT report blowing up all the vibes around whether or not this stuff is actually practically delivering on productivity, what are you seeing?
Speaker 17: Yeah, so we're seeing probably a different trend from what I think showed up in that MIT report. That's obviously a very broad based survey across lots of different types of implementations of AI. And one thing actually in particular that was found in the MIT report was a very different success and failure rate based on if companies try and build out their own technology versus work with software vendors that have pre built capabilities to let them go and deploy against their data and workflows. So we're seeing a much higher success rate because within box customers already have their data, they already have security. Now we're introducing workflow capabilities that they can drop agents into, all of which provide the guardrails to make agents much more successful in their environment. So we're seeing very different results. But I think there are important lessons within that MIT survey that CIOs should be paying attention to as they go and deploy AI and their enterprise.
Speaker 2: Aaron extract tot to mat and she'ld pro this package expansion for you. You're a one billion dollar revenue AEA company, do you just kind of see immediate acceleration of that because you think it's what your customers are wanting right now.
Speaker 17: Yeah, So we introduced a new plan called Enterprise Advanced. And what Enterprise Advance does is it has our most advanced AI capabilities, our AI agent builder, now, our new workflow capabilities with agents, and that's providing a really kind of great upgrade cycle from a revenue standpoint, but it's also making it very easy for our customers to actually get into these advanced capabilities in a seamless way. So we think it's a very good match for again driving a revenue sort of cycle for us that is driving a very healthy upgrade rate. We've seen some great results where we beat guidance and consensus on our recent numbers, and that's really driven by the enterprise advanced momentum that will only continue based on the announcements we're making today on our new set of features that we're launching aeron.
Speaker 2: I've really enjoyed following your posts on X in recent months, your on stage appearances. I've been trying to think, like, what is the Aaron Levy summary of what's happening in AI right now?
Speaker 5: And correct me if I'm wrong.
Speaker 2: I think your position is like, don't take your position in the world of software for granted.
Speaker 5: Everything is up for grabs.
Speaker 2: Would you say that's fair and that you apply that philosophy to Box as well.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I mean, I'm certainly a student of history, you know, Andy Grove. Obviously only the paranoids survive. I sort of grew up in the tech industry at a point when that was just locked in on everybody. You had this new wave of disruptors go after many incumbent industries. We were one of those, and so by living and breathing that ourselves, I think we know how tenuous these positions can be if you don't adapt and if you don't move quickly. So the way we run Box today is we have this mindset of what would our company do if we started from scratch in twenty twenty five, how would we work internally, how would we operate? And then, most importantly, what value would we deliver for our customers and for us. We're just sitting on this incredible amount of data that our customers have entrusted us with that we can now help them bring all new use cases to life with the power of AI. We're incredibly excited. This is the most exciting I've ever been, you know, when we've been running Box, and this is more exciting than the founding days, just given how many things we can go and help customers with.
Speaker 2: Aaron Levy, co founder and CEO of Box, It's great to have you back here on Bloomberg Tech. Thank you so much. That does it for this edition of Bloomberg Tech. My goodness, September has been brutal, and what a week it's been.
Speaker 3: Karroc relentless. I feel it might be. There is so much you've got to digest and catch up on and revisit.
Speaker 4: With our podcast.
Speaker 3: You can find it on the timeline and on the terminal with Apple, Spotify and I Heart.
Speaker 4: This is Bloomberg Tech.