Speaker 1: Welcome back to another episode of the Bust and Spring Football Tour. I know we've been talking about football spring ball, but coming to the University of Tennessee, we had to get on the juggernaut. We had to get on Coach Vitello Tony Tonytel, I feel like this most Italian name ever. Yeah, yeah, young gun. I mean, look at he's handsome. Before we get into before we sit here and melting our couches. This thing is brought to you by the Chevy Silverado, the hardest working truck on the planet, Dependable, durable, just like the people who drive them. You and Coach v uh, But we had to get the baseball guys on. You guys are crushing it. I hate that you guys just lost one last night because you guys are on an eleven game win streak. You're thirty and.
Speaker 2: Two now, is that thirty one and two?
Speaker 1: Thirty one and two? And Jack was Jack is a huge Tennessee guy. Yeah. And everybody went to school here, yeah, and everybody's been talking about Tennessee baseball. And I'm on my phone last night, late at night scroll and seeing all your guys' highlights and everything else. And Coach Eckler's giving me a background on you guys. You guys are kind of like the Detroit Pistons, the bad boys of SEC baseball, college baseball. Would you agree, Yeah, would you agree with that? Is that fair to say? Is that a good assessment?
Speaker 3: I mean, I kind of like that now at this age. I grew up My old man's from Chicago, so I grew up a Bulls fan, and I hated the Pistons. But I think if you're a competitor, that's kind of the way it should be. You should love the guy if he's on your team, or you should love your team if they're yours. And then you want to be hated. If you know, if you walk into an opponent's building, you don't want them to like you because that means if they're thinking easy victory.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but baseball in a lot of ways, Like you don't see guys hitting grand slams and going halfway to first base throwing that ship in the air like it's fucking nothing like you did you walk into the team meeting room and dany and go, hey, here's a deal. Fuck these guys, all of them?
Speaker 3: Not no, No, I mean I do think we've got a certain attitude about us, but you have to in order to survive in our league. But sorry, any Power five league. No, But then we had a non Power five team put it on us last night, so no.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 3: At the end of the day, it's all about competition and you got to be who you are. And and that guy in particular you're speaking of is one of our team leaders, and he's just very unique. He's he's a gentleman off the field, and he's an assassin on the field. And sometimes I do my best to control them, but sometimes I can't.
Speaker 2: What's his name, Yes, Drew Gilbert.
Speaker 3: He's a fan fan favorite, and again, anyone that's got to know him as a person would love him.
Speaker 2: But immediately when we go into another place.
Speaker 3: We're in Oxford, Mississippi recently, and it took their fans about two outs in the first inning and he was just on deck to understand that he's not the one to like. But you know, our guys do got a little bit of way about him that you know, again, if you're cheering for us, I think you enjoy and if not, you may question it. But I don't think anyone ever goes over the line to do something disrespectful to the opponent. It's just in baseball, you got to be a personality. If you look at like the most fun teams since we've been alive, like the Phillies back in the John Crook era, Darren Dalton and those guys, and the Red Sox when Malar was on their team, it's it's long days as a baseball player. You got to have some stuff going on in the locker room to bring you together and also keep you entertained or in all those all those hours.
Speaker 2: So this is your fifth season with the volunteers. Is this like something that's kind of built over time or is it for whatever reason this year? No, it's kind of just you guys have become like the bad boys of the SEC. No.
Speaker 3: I think last year without last year's team, this year's team is not having the success they are. And then if you go back to our first year, our pitching coach and I were joking about how we're just starving for any win possible, and that's how we were handling our pitching was just one day at a time, we just need as many wins. So it's been you know, without going into the whole long story, it's been a gradual deal. And I'll tell you what, when the fans got on board, and you know how crazy our fans are, that's what kind of helped catapult this whole thing.
Speaker 1: I think what's cool too, is like you guys, it's clear about your gut, you guys having fun it. Like you said, if you're an outsider and you don't cheer for the for Tennessee, you might question it or whatever. But baseball for the most part, is a very uniformed, buttoned up sport. And know that you have a team like you do having the fun and bringing out their personalities and having their unique style about them. And then you have a young coach like yourself who kind of embraces it. The whole my Concho story, the whole my Concho bit is hilarious. Is that something you're conscious of You kind of just let it fly and tell the boys, like, hey, we're going out here to have fun. Who gives a shit like the opinions that are out there about the sport of baseball. It's kind of like you guys are bringing a flavor to the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think that's something you try and set the tone from day one and manage what you think your culture's kind of overused word, but what your style or brand name is going to be. And when we first got here, Tennessee's had great players for quite a while. I mean Nixon Zel was a second pick in the draft before we got here. I mean, they've had talent, but they hadn't had kind of a flavor that Arkansas, where I came from, you could stereotype their baseball team. And again we talked about Mississippi or Vanderbilt. And now I think we've kind of created our own brand name. And along the way, I've kind of felt like we introduced some ideas to them. They've run with it, and now we just got to make sure that fired unburned too bright. Sometimes those boys get a little out of control, and again they're there is a line to walk. What's what's the right way to do it? And what's not My question is why is they're allowed to walk? Why not just ride this thing in the sunset? You know what I'm saying, Grab the chariots, be like charesty, you go to the sun sure, well you know we're on uh, we're televised here and you fellas are popular, so you got to make sure you don't say the wrong thing too many times. But no, it's it's the in between the lines. To be fair what you're saying. There are no rules, so I know in baseball, yeah, I mean there's different versions in football and baseball. If somebody bunts when they're winning up by six runs, or someone throws inside, I mean, where where's the rules? It's you're between the lines and it's killer be killed. And then at the end of the day, kind of like UFC guys do when they dab each other up, it's like, how the hell are they doing? They just try to kill each other, but it's a mutual respect for you know, hey, what just went on here? There was something pure there and almost kind of primal that we are getting, you know, getting into it and now.
Speaker 1: It's over with.
Speaker 2: When you say, like, Bunny, when you're up six round of six runs, like, what are some of the like unspoken rules of baseball? As you just don't do that? Maybe maybe you guys do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what's interesting. You know, Like you said, why is there a line that they're unwritten? So there is no actual book, So it's it's kind.
Speaker 2: Of a gentleman's game.
Speaker 1: Part.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's kind of all up to perception. And you know, I don't think you know, you want to be sending guys from second base on a borderline call to score if you're already up ten twelve runs. I think it's just you know, not putting to the pedal of the metal too much if it's.
Speaker 1: You know, a big league blower team.
Speaker 3: But you know, otherwise, you know, it's like Batista hits that homer against the Rangers and throws his bats. If you don't want him to throw his bat, then don't give up a home run, you know, if you had to ball that far in that situation. To me, you can do whatever you want. And if you're the opponent you don't like it, then do something about it.
Speaker 2: Well, they do do something about it the next time he's up at bat. Next time you guys play music, catches a little chin music one in the ribs real quick. When is the time do you in baseball? Is it like that in college baseball? Do you guys kind of give them the hey, this dude's been talking.
Speaker 3: No, No, it really doesn't go on at our level. I mean I saw one of our juco commits. I went down and watched him and he actually hit a kid in the helmet and the first base coach yelled, what the I think.
Speaker 1: I can say, Yeah, what the fuck are you doing?
Speaker 3: And he basically stormed onto the field, and you know, the kid just had one get away. I mean, these guys, that's just not a part of our game as much now. I think in the big leagues maybe a little bit. You saw Lindor get hit in the head, but I really don't feel like there was intent there. There's too much money involved. Plus nowadays, instead of like George brutt Brett playing for the for the Royals his whole career, you might get traded the next day and be on that guy's team that you just threw at. So, you know, it's wild, like the trades are crazier like in football. I don't know when the trades are, but when football week eight, by week eight, you can't trade anybody anymore.
Speaker 2: How's it working baseball?
Speaker 3: No, it's deeper into the year in baseball. And two, when you come up through the minor leagues, you might have played with all these guys because there's a bunch of trades that may go on throughout a guy's career, just trying to make it up, you know, through the ranks and then to now all these guys like Bryce Harper. First time I ever saw him was at the Area Code games. It's where all the best players go. Well, they all become buddies, and especially on social media now too, so as intense and competitive is as much money as there is out there. I think at the end of the day, all these guys are kind of buddies. I mean, Drew Gilbert again, maybe the most hated or the villain leader of our team. He yeah, trust me, you would. But he played on Team USA. So there's the best player from Florida and the best player from Georgia, and they all get to know him and they all like him.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: The my concho bit was that something that was premeditated? Is did you just watch Talladega Knights recently? No? Or was that just off the top end you're having fun?
Speaker 3: No, I need to watch Talladega Knights but soon. But oh you haven't seen twdy I've seen actually, just I feel it's proper to visualize or see that every month or so, you know, yeah, yeah, but those in game interviews, like I can't believe like a guy like Saban, like the halftime interview or right before kickoff. But I know they have to do it. But it's cool when you're watching on TV. But when you have to do it in the dugout and like your guys are hitting or pitching it, it's pretty it's distracting. And so I had a lot of emotions boiling in my body and that was just kind of what came out. I say a lot of dumb things sometimes because you got the Italian temper going.
Speaker 1: You got that. You got that just I'm Italian. You know I got anger issues.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's it's a good it's a good alibi. But no, nothing premeditated.
Speaker 1: Just question.
Speaker 3: And Chris Burke, who was a legendary player here, works for ESPN. He was the one conducting the interview, and I just have a level of comfort with him. So it's kind of like us sitting here average talking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I got it. That's my first f wort. I think with me, that kind of feels good.
Speaker 1: Let's go.
Speaker 2: You just start letting him fly now, you know what I'm saying Network exactly. Yeah, and you know all the stereotypical things doing.
Speaker 1: He's just you're spent thinking he can't help, but he's just telling you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well we'll pioneered in there.
Speaker 1: Anytime you have an interview, we'll pioneer that. For nobody get mad at him. We'll just redo your interview.
Speaker 2: And what were you should?
Speaker 3: I appreciate that if you do a little history, you probably need to pass some things up between uh, a fast food restaurant and myself.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, what is that you dive into that?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, it was after a game in my stomach was in knots, kind of like you you know, would be if you ate it up, you can pick whichever one you want. I you know, and I said that out loud, And they happen to be one of our sponsors.
Speaker 1: So that's so you don't want to say the name because there's still a sponsor.
Speaker 2: No, I've already written enough apology rhyme with uh, No, I don't want to say raising Canes, not not at all.
Speaker 3: Our guys love Kenes right right up the road. So are we able to say we can leave it at that from now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is a smart move.
Speaker 1: Hey, he already apologized, so we already backped He's gotta he's gotta stay true.
Speaker 3: I gotta find a way to get to make up with last night's on fire. So that's on my to do list. We're gonna I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, you see him pretty frequently the same ones.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah you do, and got tough, No it is, and and you'd like to think, like, hey, man, when you're in your you know, garb you're wearing or whatever, and I'm in uniform, were these characters and then outside like I don't really care. I don't know how you guys were as teammates, but you know, sometimes it's hard to differentiate. You know, maybe you don't respect a teammate as much, but off the field, you you know, he's a civilian or he's just a dude.
Speaker 1: You know, Yeah, I love the im he's a civilian. Yeah, I tell you what. He's got the Italian and he reminds me like Coach Bo. He kind of blacks out as he's out there coaching. I don't know if you're familiar with Coach Bo Polini, very very you guys probably running the same, you know, mob ties and stuff like that. I didn't know where I was going with that. That's a beautiful comment.
Speaker 2: I do want to know a little bit something about you were bringing up Bonterio, Missouri. Where will when we went to school? Yeah, before this I want to hear ask me.
Speaker 1: He goes you went to North County and I'm like, hell the fuck do you know about North County? And then you're like stop saved.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm from I'm from Saint Louis US And so the big thing there, right or wrong, is where'd you go to high school? That's the first question everybody asked someone in high school. So I know where you guys went. And because of recruiting rules, I can't speak too much about your high school.
Speaker 2: But oh, we got some studs out.
Speaker 3: There, very good relationship there with their best player.
Speaker 1: Why. Okay, you can't speak too much about his school because of what kind of rules.
Speaker 2: If a kid commits but he's not signed, you can't say anything.
Speaker 1: But I can say, so, there's a kid who's committed at the said school, But we can't say the school.
Speaker 2: Can I say the school?
Speaker 1: You can't say school.
Speaker 2: We can't say school. Chpperil High School.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, that's we just can't say, Hey, is he from shepperd.
Speaker 2: Studs out there, well, he can't say he can't.
Speaker 1: And we can't even ask that. We just say, we're just saying school we can't talk about. But you went to Chapperale got you got you outstanding school.
Speaker 2: A lot of good players out of that, A lot of good players in that area. Arizona baseball solid. Oh yeah, it's a nice deal. Out so Ian I coached at University of Missouri.
Speaker 3: Ian Kinsler was on the first team that I coached and what years in Missouri? Yeah, ninety is a player and then I was there until eleven as a coach.
Speaker 1: Were you there with?
Speaker 3: Uh, that's why we're gonna bring up bro So as a coach hype recruiting story. He doesn't know you said his name. I wasn't gonna say this. I was gonna go fast forward.
Speaker 1: We can bleeve. We can bleep that out too. The reason we bleep it out here's why. So his dad I'm very familiar. I'm very familiar with that family. His dad was my football coach growing up. He would was a stud player in high school. I'm sure, like obviously he went and pitched at MISSOO, But basically I was like in fourth, fifth, sixth grade, just terrorizing the fields of Bonte Missouri. I mean I was a savage and uh and uh every Friday or if it was a Saturday day game, Uh, his dad would take me. He would drive a couple of US players to go watch them play North County play because North County was a good football team too. But it was like that dude in high school or believe or is that that dude in high school? Now what you said?
Speaker 2: He was that dude in high school? Like as a player or was he like slamt what we talking about here?
Speaker 1: As an athlete. He's a good football player, good baseball player, small, smaller to could sling it like you wouldn't think he could sling it. I have a fastball and stuff because he's not tall and linking and all that. But he was just a stud, stud person that he had like a he had a story that we can Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean you asked coach Hype about a recruiting story.
Speaker 3: I was fortunate enough to be listening in, and I immediately thought, because you were the one asking the question, well I got a recruiting story for you.
Speaker 2: Because I'm really young.
Speaker 3: I I begged the coach to let me be the volunteer coach, you know, just unpaid coach, and after a year a recruiting coordinator leaves and I eventually get the job at a really young age, don't know what I'm doing, and I take the baton from him. From this kid we're recruiting, He's like, the first thing you need to do is kind of finish the task getting this guy committed. So I don't want to say he's the first player I recruited because I don't want that label.
Speaker 2: But he went to that high school North County. You're the one saying his name, so he was a part of You're the one saying his name was He was a.
Speaker 3: Part of the first recruiting class we ever had, along with Max Scherzer and some other study Max actually threw a combined no hitter against Texas Tech.
Speaker 2: The only problem is later in the year stabbed a guy. Oh Ship, Hey, that was a twist I didn't see.
Speaker 1: And like, no, ship stabbed again.
Speaker 3: Well it was like a good slider and like, hey, I stabbed with a knife.
Speaker 2: He used to.
Speaker 1: And he stabbed it trying to take a life like a house party right.
Speaker 3: Yes, out in the lawn. Fortunately I wasn't there. I was still and that was that was a that was for us.
Speaker 1: That was a monster deal because again I'm close with that family. Like this player that we're talking about, I like his dad would say, hey, uh, he would say hang with Wilford day, take me along with him. I'm a younger cat looking up to this dude. So when this all happened, I'm thinking, holy shit.
Speaker 2: And he stabbed the guy, You're like, maybe I gotta stab it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like if I'm around if I Yeah, I'm saying if I'm around him in high school, I'm like, as a young kid, I'm wanting to think, oh, he's like an older brother type guy to where I can fit in and hang around everybody else.
Speaker 2: Okay, So he was at a house party and he stabbed somebody. Yeah the person the person. The person did not die, No, they did not. And the altercation was over a girl.
Speaker 1: I think, so gotta assume I can't. Like it's kind of getting away from me, and there's beverages.
Speaker 3: It was one of those deals where this is the main house party, but there's kind of some offset ones, you know, where you cross the street, and so there was some sort of back and forth between a house. But I'll tell you what, that's a tragic deal. Fortunately the person didn't die. We're at University of Texas and we get a big third out and our guys are hooting and hollering out of the dugout and it kind of gets quiet for a second, and some old fan for Texas goes, which one of you boys now and there stabbed that poor kid. And he's sitting on the bench or he's there in the dug point.
Speaker 2: He had been excuse me, it is later in the year, and just like he was excused, he was pulled out of his ass, was pulled out of there. That poor that poor boy. And uh it. It was comedy in a in a weird way. So yeah, uh yeah, like the Joker comedy for sure.
Speaker 1: That's wild.
Speaker 2: Hey, that's fucking crazy. But so did he get convicted. Is he in jail now?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, he's walking among us. Charges were dropped.
Speaker 2: So he really didn't stab somebody, no, allegedly just for the story, just like OJJ never stabbed anybody. Yeah, he's having a good old time right now. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I'll tell you he's a stud I'm talking engineers, very smart. I mean, he recruited him.
Speaker 2: He got away with almost murder. Yeah, he's very small boy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, for sure he did. Allegedly he didn't murder anybody.
Speaker 2: What a fucking story man?
Speaker 1: Did recruit Aaron Blunt? Yeah, he was a stud just he was. He was. He was one of those cats. He was a lefty lank. He was a stud, but just didn't want those dudes, just like he had a huge opportunity and that he was like a he was like a too cool of a guy, like went too hard, partied way too hard, way too much. It didn't really pan out that information ahead of time. I would have if you would have recruited me to play baseball at Missoon. Apologies, No, I mean I played baseball growing up. I wasn't at this level that there. I mean I wasn't a d one baseball player. Worked out pretty well for you, Yeah, yeah, we chose the right sport.
Speaker 2: We played at the.
Speaker 3: Old Nebraska Baseball Stadium the last year was there. It was a piece of crap and it was next right next to the football stadium.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And we pulled.
Speaker 3: Into the parking lot and we were able to sneak in. We were waiting for the coaches to meet coach Da Van Horns, a legend. He was there at the time. I worked for him at Arkansas and we're waiting on the coaches to decide if we're going to play or not in the rain, and we snuck into the football stadium and played. We had an empty soda bottle and we played like a kind of I mean, we wanted to play in that place. The history was insane.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, especially for guys at our age levels.
Speaker 1: Dude, what a small world, What a small world talking just I'm just but yeah, Bonti Missouri the place. I mean, I wish Aaron would have been a He was a stud now now I'm just yeah, he was awesome. I just feel like, in my opinion, he probably party too hard. You might know more once he got to college, but he was just a study. He was like an All American in high school. He could sling it, bro, he could hit, he could do all this stuff lefty, so you know, he had movement on the ball. You know, you know all the language. I don't know all the language, but yeah, I mean it's some.
Speaker 2: I don't know, it's interesting.
Speaker 3: A lot of guys, you know, maybe follow the Tom Brady method and never eat a carb or any of that thing.
Speaker 2: But I gotta believe Tom Brady moment. Yeah, when Tom Brady comes on, we have.
Speaker 1: To take a Yeah, we take it. We take a moment of silence.
Speaker 3: Well, you gotta be able to manage that deal. I mean, you gotta be able to have fun, but you also got to be able to handle business. Yeah, it's been interesting coaching some guys that maybe can't do both and other guys, you know, are good at keeping everything organized.
Speaker 2: Handling it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, can you usually tell when you're in a recruiting process and you hear things about kids like, oh, hey, this kid likes to get after it a little bit. Does that worry you or you kind of like, I just gotta sure I keep an eye on this kid once he gets here. Yeah, no, I don't mind using the kid's name.
Speaker 3: Nick Schmidt was a kid in high school from Saint Louis and every time I called him, he was at a part like maybe it was just a basement with twelve but there was always girls and guys in the background, and he was kind of that personality. It was my first year coach when I was young, and he walked by me at the field and I'm supposed to be the coach coach fight Tello and he's the recruit and he smacked me on the ass.
Speaker 2: It's like, what's up, coach, b oh yeah, so hey, imagine having that kind of confidence with the coach I know, dude. So we passed on Nick Schmidt because of that, or I did.
Speaker 3: He was the first but well just the whole party of what he was a first rounder, but I was I was accurate in my read. He went to Arkansas and a guy named Dave Jornan was a pitching coach and he had to kind of heart to heart with him and basically kind of saved the kid's soul a little like.
Speaker 2: I don't think he became you know where.
Speaker 3: He never had another beer or anything, but really kind of got more. So I was kind of accurate in my read, and he went to the right place a lot of times. With the recruiting, it's about ending up with the spot that was meant for you to be at, not necessarily the best place in the world.
Speaker 1: Whatever helps you sleep for missing on that first round the first round.
Speaker 2: He ain't the only one, So yeah, no doubt, that's a wild deal. As far as atmosphere goes, I've been I've only been a one college baseball game that was an LSU phenomenal time. I think I'm a big LSU fan because of that. What's the atmosphere like here if stands packed.
Speaker 3: But then after it's bananas. I mean, it's a hornet's nest over there. I think a lot of it has to do with our field. You see where we're at. We're kind of landlocked, so everything's real close and quaint if you want to call it that. And then our fan base, you can stereotype. LSU's fan base is gonna tailgate and they're gonna do this and that, and they're gonna have crawfish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Occajuns do it a little different. They have the open container law. They're allowed to do whatever they want. Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 3: And I think each team in our league has phenomenal fans, but they're all again, you could kind of describe them in four or five words and be fairly accurate. And our fans are just rambunctious, maybe more than anybody in the league. I mean, you guys were talking about the game against Mississippi.
Speaker 1: Did you love that? You're not you're not a football coach. You can kind of he Yes, he's got to tew the line a little bit more. Are you watching your life?
Speaker 2: You're free to say whatever you want. Okay, Okay, I'm.
Speaker 3: Gonna go ahead, let it rip the most deadly words and yes.
Speaker 2: Hey, we won't tell.
Speaker 3: You'll just be canceled in the morning. Yeah, okay, couple. Here's what I was thinking when you guys talked about it with coach I is I don't think anyone in the world wants objects thrown at another individual because you never know what crazy thing could happen. But you could see where the fans frustration came from if you were watching. So they acted, you know, a little bit out of line, or they acted out of line bottom line. Here's what I'll say about ball fans if the if the referees at any point, And again I don't coach football.
Speaker 2: I don't know who those guys were, so you can't.
Speaker 1: Sue me or that's right, this is clean in the sponsor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all I had to say was the next thing that's thrown on this field were penalized in Tennessee fifteen yards and no one would have moved an inch.
Speaker 2: That's how our fans are. Yeah, but what about Mississippi fans that might be there'd be like, oh, easy, that's.
Speaker 1: That is that's a good point, that's true.
Speaker 3: But I think they're gonna get a haymaker thrown to the jaw off if they throw something and they next volunteer.
Speaker 1: Fans really like that, Hey, that's that Italian.
Speaker 2: Baseball bat to the knees, horse head in their bed type mentality. You know what I'm saying. That was my take on it.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's always a counter argument, but that would have been my perfect solution to call me down our fans because they're rowdy, but they don't they they don't want to hurt our team.
Speaker 2: I can tell you that. Yeah, Volunteer fans roll deep. They were Uh. We were part of the same with Barstool with it's like if your seed makes it into the sweet sixteen and basketball that we we you get a certain amount of money. And I we were playing Michigan was playing Tennessee, and Michigan beat Tennessee to go in to the Sweet sixteen, and I tweeted something like the haters are sick right now with Juwan Howard slapping the tee I caught I caught fucking hands via Twitter. I was catching hands left and right now. I was biting the hand that fed me because allbviously a lot of volunteer fans are Tennessee Titan fans, but they go hard in the paint where I almost had an issue, like an apology, like, hey, listen, i've you guys rolled deep like that.
Speaker 1: It's impressive, a formal apology, formal like he's the sponsor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think better than the apology is just wearing that hat. That's a class is nice big time. I was at what was it, Pete's. We're at Pete.
Speaker 2: Yeah, also great food at Pete's and this kid he asked for a photo and I was like, I love your hat. He's like thanks, and I said, I'll give you a hundred bucks for that hat and he said yup, and it was it really was made like that. He took it off his head. I readjusted the hat because the boy's got a bit of a dome, smacked that thing on top and it was. It's been smooth sailing with this hat ever since. Other than hijahan. A couple of your questions as far as like when stadiums go, what's in the sec take the volunteers out of it? What's the most hype place to play.
Speaker 3: Well, Arkansas was where I worked before I came here, and their fans are like Cardinal fans.
Speaker 2: Uh, just they know the game well, they're Saint Louis is really getting lots of shoutouts right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's a massive, massive stadium. But really, I mean there's other there's other towns that could throw out arguments. Starkville probably has the second or the first, you know, nicest stadium, and then Oxford where we just played. I mean, it's not normal to go in there and win and Lane Kiffin comes and throws out the golf.
Speaker 1: Ball and they're they're going crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think he took some heat for that, but I think it was all in good fun, right via social media, because he's not scared, and which I will.
Speaker 1: You gotta respect. I respect that.
Speaker 3: It's one of the reasons he's a good coach. I mean, you know, he's on the edge at all times, and I guess you're not. You're taking up too much space?
Speaker 1: Should we do the Duke Cannon question of the day? Home run coat?
Speaker 2: What is okay?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 2: What is the home run coat?
Speaker 1: Fan? Question from Jack McPherson Shout outs, Jack, No free shout outs, Coach Eckler, what's the question, Jack, it's it's coming from Jack. It's coming from Jack. Coach. Home run cove. Yeah, a coat coat?
Speaker 3: Well, last year if the guys, you know, it all started with the Rangers. I think with Josh Hamplton's on our team. If they hit a double, they would kind of do a sign. And now, all of a sudden, I don't think it was a gang sign.
Speaker 2: It was more of just a gesture.
Speaker 3: And uh ever since then, if you hit a double, you got to do something, and then it turned into Batista's you know, batflip, and now everyone's got to do something.
Speaker 1: They had a home run.
Speaker 3: It seems like so our guys came up with a hat they would wear, which became really popular. The fans wanted to see it stay. This team wanted to be kind of their own team, have their own identity, so they carried over the hat theme but added on to it by having this fur or mink. I've never even touched it. It's got to be nasty by now, but it's a it's a it's a coat. There could be a woman's or a man's coat. You know that you would wear in a seventies gangster party. Yeah, and they throw it on the guy who hit the home run when he does so, he kind of looks, you know, pimped out or whatever you say, and they love it. I think the fans like it. You see little kids wearing these, you know, mocked up coats now, so that is awesome. Yeah, it's something that's unique to their team, and the fans have caught on. And again if opponents got things they do when they celebrate nowadays, if you're wasting energy on that, you're you're wasting energy.
Speaker 1: What's the what's the hat? Say?
Speaker 2: Daddy hat?
Speaker 1: Daddy get dad?
Speaker 2: I got a daddy hat? Yeah, there you go, right, Yeah, bought this of a guy for one hundred dollars to Actually, you're gonna be soon. They print more every day to coach. They print more every single day. That's true. We're out here hunting.
Speaker 3: I'd like to know where what that kid's gonna do with this hundred boney gave him this morning?
Speaker 1: What kind of thing, Jack, it'll be tonight? No question?
Speaker 2: Hold up.
Speaker 1: He literally he was so stoked to meet and he's like, hey, dude, I love the heck kind I bought off you and he was like sure, he's I'll give you a hundred dollars. He's like okay. Yeah. That was it. There was no action made, zero bargain.
Speaker 2: I really feel like I could have got away with fifty. But you asked for change and he got it, and it's like it became.
Speaker 1: Ask for change.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah it's fifty. I got hundreds on me.
Speaker 1: Yeah you know what I mean? Yeah, I could have Yeah. Last question of today brought to us by I.
Speaker 2: Actually have a question too, but go ahead. Last segment of the day.
Speaker 1: Last segment of the day brought to us by Duke Cannon. Not for clowns. We have an insane and il deal for You're bust with the boys of sponsoring you with Duke Cannon deodorant. You're looking at it right now, the dry ice, and I'm not shoitting you. You put that on your pits. It's like cool little breeze missed throughout the entire day.
Speaker 2: If you're wondering how the smells, it smells, how you look fast?
Speaker 1: Yes, there you go. You like going off of your recruiting stories. Obviously it's hard to it's hard to top the stabbing one, But what else you're telling us about a kid getting mugged when you're on a recruiting trip. Do you have something in the bank that you like to tell outside of what we've already discussed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was a That was a coach one where we sent him to get a gatorad and he never came back.
Speaker 2: Poor fella.
Speaker 1: Where were you preface? Where were we at?
Speaker 2: We were at the same place coach I Will said he was at.
Speaker 1: I think coach I've said University of Houston. We won't ask at the University.
Speaker 2: Got buddy area of Houston. I got buddies that work there.
Speaker 3: Actually, that gas station is no longer there in the area has been renovated.
Speaker 1: It's gentrified.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so this is this is a while back. But no, No, recruiting in general is wild. I wish I had one that that really really stuck out. I know, you know, for me, it's always interesting when you get the kids on campus and they're walking around and then you know that they go off with the guys, and then the next morning you see who maybe hung out with the guys a little too late at night. And uh, I've been a part of some morning meetings where guys can't stay awake. But nothing nothing sticks out too crazy or where I'd want to throw anyone under the bus. Although mister Surezer, I was not a full time coach when I took him around on his official visit.
Speaker 1: So you were having a little it was half fun, half coach. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And so you guys went the Petez Diner. We went to the diner in Columbia, Missouri, which is just the diner. Yeah, and that is a lot to be And that's the place that sealed the deal for arguably the best picture in the world.
Speaker 1: Seal the deal because of the night you guys had.
Speaker 2: Uh, yeah, we did. We did have a good one a little bit. Yeah, strippers and cocaine type of vibe or no is that was I was that inappropriate? I don't know, not know it would have been, but I hate strippers.
Speaker 1: It would have been.
Speaker 2: And they made me so uncomfortable anything I've ever been in a strip club. It's like do you want to dance? And it's like not really.
Speaker 1: For a dollar, It's like, oh, you're so cute.
Speaker 2: It's like okay, maybe, but like leave me alone. It's just I feel like I feel like it's when a man comes on too strong, to a woman at a bar. It's the same thing. It's like, please let me breathe, you know, let me work for it, A little bit type of deal anyway, strippers, Am I right?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: My question for a uh college World Series? What would you do to bring that to the Tennessee volunteers? What lengths would you go to?
Speaker 3: I don't know if I do what coach Vrabel did, although I'm I really liked watching him as a player.
Speaker 2: He's all too intense.
Speaker 3: So I don't want to cut off any appendages that i'd like to maybe use.
Speaker 2: Italian he's got dark hair is kind of a I mean, he would know he's got the dark hair of the tan skin, the big Yeah, he's got that.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: He does that, and I feel like that's an Italian thing to do.
Speaker 1: But it's also a very Ohio thing to do too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very smug he he And I feel like he used your appendage much more than Vrabel, do you know what I'm saying. He just absolutely putting this guy in a box. He's a playboy. He's just getting after it. He Uh. Yeah, he's got a son that's a really good baseball player. Yeah, Carter, Yeah, Yeah, you think he should come here and play. I don't know.
Speaker 3: You know, sometimes it's about body count in recruiting. We we do things so in advance, like Champarrelle, that's way, that's young. But he said to school, I would not go Verbel, I'd go Ronnie Lot. I would I would let a finger be taken off yea to.
Speaker 1: Go to the mall and his certain finger, like would you go middle? Would you any of them for pinky?
Speaker 3: I don't want to lose the middle because would you go the pinky cuts off too much?
Speaker 2: It makes your hand look a way small. I'd probably go ring finger that you keep the whole with.
Speaker 1: Yet them in that pink. You could really just do it out really Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I kind of like this little guy.
Speaker 3: If you're aviad just wearing the ring can put your toes on your thumbs and yeah.
Speaker 1: Would you take your thumb off?
Speaker 2: I don't think I go. That takes you down the evolutionary chart.
Speaker 1: You can't do that. No, no offensive thumb.
Speaker 2: With Yeah people, it's a it's a big thing. It's a big crazy I don't want to get cancel. Would you donate your entire salary to busting with the boys, If you guys won a world serious pothetically speaking, just to win the World Series for the volunteer for a national championship, I.
Speaker 1: Would do that all right. Then what do you make before Texas?
Speaker 2: You guys got to set up another one of these with the A D. I don't even know care. You don't know what you make.
Speaker 1: Oh he knows, he knows exactly. We all know. We all know what you make. We don't know what you make.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it though. You have been outstanding and I really appreciate you being a good sport.
Speaker 3: Well, you guys make it easy my morning coffee after a loss last night.
Speaker 2: So hopefully we got good karma going into the weekend. Awesome, bigger bath foot we need, bigger bat flips, We need more fans talking ship. Yes, bring Bay fall back to what it.
Speaker 1: Needs to do. And all the little kids and need to be buying the oversized coach the home run. Got it.
Speaker 2: We got to make a bust in baseball shirt for the boys. Uh balls, we gotta do something. We gotta do.
Speaker 1: We do something for football. We got appreciate it. I am too. I'm gonna start watching.
Speaker 2: The cannon come in my way, so we'll get you guys set up all right, cool man, that is a fair trade off.
Speaker 1: That sounds right. You should give us something. Coach shakes a lot.
Speaker 2: Thank you, appreciate you.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it. Electrics