Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. You're listening to the Bloomberg Balance of Power podcast. Catch Just Live weekdays at noon Eastern on Applecarplay and then Roudoo with the Bloomberg Business app. Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Thursday edition of Balance of Power. Yeah, you made it to Little Friday. And it's a big day around here in Washington. Anytime there's a state dinner, there's just something in the air, sense of celebration. I guess at the White House, and if you're inside the grounds of the White House, this is a spectacular moment because they bring all the tables outside of the extended kitchen. You got people, temporary workers setting up stages. They're putting up the tenting on the south lawn. This is a big deal. Doesn't happen that often, and it doesn't happen for everyone. Take a look at all the world leaders who have come here since Joe Biden was in the White House, and how many did not get this treatment. But the President of Kenya is an exception, with the world watching and namely China watching as its Belton Road initiative across Africa runs into a wall, and African nations like Kenya are coming to the US to have a conversation about how to rationalize their debt and how to draw Western investment into the country. So this is important. The President of Kenya, William Rudo, we talked about this yesterday, arrived at the White House a little while ago, inside a bilateral meeting with the President of the United States. Right now and at twelve thirty supposedly according to the schedule, that's half an hour from now, there will be a joint news conference. We will bring that to you live with American reporters and foreign press there having a conversation with these two leaders, and of course that conversation can go in a lot of different directions. The fact is, though this marks sixty years of diplomatic relations between our two countries, the White House tries to leverage the private sector to deepen ties. And that's why I want to bring in Tyler Kendall Bloomberg's Tyler Kendall at the White House on the North Lawn right now with the story of what's happening inside that building behind her.
Speaker 3: Hey Kendall, Yeah, Hey, Joe Hey, Joe, it was interesting to see that President Biden decides to kick off this state visit by inviting executives from both US and Kenyan based companies to the White House. That included the CFO of Google's parent company, Alphabet. It's part of this broader push for more strategic investment in the country, and I want you to take a lesson to President Biden from earlier talking about this renewed relationship between Silicon Valley and what's being called the Silicon Savannah.
Speaker 4: Take a lesson.
Speaker 5: We're launching a new era of technology to technological cooperation between Kenya and America, including new exchanges and investments in key fields of cybersecurity, artificial intelligence, and semiconductors.
Speaker 3: It's a welcome sentiment for the Kenyan President, William Rutu, and appears to already be paying off. Today Kenya announced a three point six billion dollar infrastructure investment. This will build highways across the country and it's backed by a Virginia based fund known as ever Strong Capital. Joe, as you alluded to, this is part of broader competition on the continent for investment between US and China. Interestingly enough, we dug into the data and looked at an analysis done by JOHNS. Hopkins looking at government data which found that China is far out pacing the US when it comes to foreign direct investment in China, and that started in twenty thirteen, which happens to be the same year that China launched its Felt and Roaded initiative. But Joe, when we look just at Kenya, which is why we are here today, Kenya, when it comes to foreign direct investment by the US into Kenya, it's actually declining. The most recent data is from twenty twenty two from the USTR's office, and it shows levels we're at two hundred and seventy seven million dollars. Joe, that's a ten percent decrease from the year prior.
Speaker 2: Well, that's fascinating. Great homework for a little perspective here before we hear these two gentlemen at their respective podium here, Tyler, this is a conversation with the private sector that took place yesterday. There were executives from Alphabet, from capital investment firms. You just mentioned a deal with a Northern Virginia company here that's coming to bear. It's kind of interesting to see the form that this is taking and tonight it's about soft power, right. They're all going to get into this tent for a big dinner, a big celebration. We've had a look at the menu. It looks like a pretty posh night.
Speaker 3: Right exactly. But before all of that could happen, we know that the Kenyan President willing Rot two was really looking for some of these more concrete proposals coming out of this. He went traveled to Capitol Hill yesterday to meet with how Speaker Mike Johnson, where he made clear that the economic proposals and also trade and also this idea of debt, which I know that you're going to get into later in the show today, would be addressed during these meetings.
Speaker 2: That's great, Tyler, Kendall on the North Lawn and come back to us as we get closer to the news conference, Tyler, with a lot to talk about here today in Washington, d C. We'll be hearing, as I mentioned, from the presidents, both of them, in a joint news conference from the White House a short time from now. We'll bring that to you live when it happens. Let's add the voice of Bloomberg White House correspondent Jordan Fabian with US as we look ahead to this news conference here on balance of power Jordan. It's great to have you. They're going to be American reporters there who have things other than Africa and foreign investment on their mind. What's going to be the pressing issue to get to Joe Biden today?
Speaker 6: As important as Joe Biden have views this visit today, the issue that's been dominating his presidency is the Israel Hamas war, and I would expect this is going to come up at the joint news conference later. There are a number of other topics that are on his plate, from immigration to Donald Trump, the ongoing trials in the election, that he could be asked about at that news conference of twelve thirty, So a lot of topics.
Speaker 7: Can be covered.
Speaker 2: I have no doubt the significance of this meeting is really something to me because not every world leader, as you can express to us here and explain to us Jordan, gets this kind of treatment. Why is the president of Kenya being propped up on this level today on the international stage.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a good point show. This is the first state visit for an African leader in sixteen years to the White House, and it really goes to show how this great power competition between the US and China is heating up. This is almost becoming a Cold War light where they're vying for power and influence all over the globe. And look, the US has been concerned about China's inroads in Africa, not only to get critical minerals, natural resources, but also these infrastructure investments of the US, says is saddling these countries with debt. But the African countries have said, look, you the US as neglect of the region for a long time. What's the alternative. This is Joe Biden's attempt at that alternative, trying to inject US for an investment there on semiconductors, on infrastructure, as Tyler just mentioned, to try and edge China out of that space. And it's gonna Yeah, they have a lot of work to do, so we'll see if it succeeds. But this is a big swing in that direction.
Speaker 2: It sure is. I know, this is probably not the type of thing that resonates at home Jordan when you consider the candidate Joe Biden as opposed to the President of the United States doing his job in this case, or maybe there's a broader way to look at it. We hear a lot about the Rose Gardens strategy. These moments help Joe Biden no matter what, correct being caught in the act of doing the job.
Speaker 6: Exactly. It's the power of a compancy. It's a very powerful force in American politics. Donald Trump is the only incumbent since nineteen ninety two to lose reelection. So this is something that Cumbans do. They buy around the country and air force one. They hold state dinners and news conferences in the Rose Garden to project that power. And so this is an example of that today. And it also again gives President Buying a chance to hit on some of these key issues we talked about China. Also, you know Joe Biden's bleeding support from black voters. He can now go out there and say, hey, I have invited you this African leader here, I'm showing the importance of this relationship. Oh and by the way, you know a lot of black American celebrities, business leaders, etc. Are expected to be at that state dinner tonight, So even more soft power on his plot.
Speaker 2: That's look at that, that's absolutely I'm so glad you said that. Think of the optics that will be shared with the country and with the world tomorrow. None of this stuff happens by accident, Jordan, Are we taking DIBs on when this starts as schedule for twelve thirty? There's no way that happens coming directly out of bilateral meeting in the Oval Office, right.
Speaker 6: If it's a day that ends, and why we're running on Biden time, so I would imagine it's going.
Speaker 2: To be late. This is a man who lives and dies by the Biden clock. Thank you, Jordan, great to see it. Always a pleasure, Jordan Fabian one of the best here at Bloomberg and covering the White House for us. We'll bring that to you when it happens. Hey, look, maybe they show up early. Dare to dream you'll hear about it live and you can see it live too. To that end, I invite you to join us on YouTube. Go to YouTube and search Bloomberg Global News. You'll find our live stream right there. We always save a seat for you in the studio if it is a day ending, and why as we turn our attention to something that actually got done this week on Capitol Hill, enough complaining about messaging bills for at least a moment here because the Crypto Market Structure Bill passed. This is the one we talked about quite a bit with lawmakers, including Wiley Nickel, the FIT bill, as they call it, FIT twenty one market structure. Who handles what coin and in which way? The question is where does it go from here? And I'm glad to say he's come back to talk to us, and what I bet feels like a bit of a victory lab for Wiley Nickel, the gentleman from North Carolina's thirteenth districts. Of course, Democrat, a pro crypto democrat. It's good to see you, sir, welcome back. Is this going to see the light of day? Could it pass the Senate?
Speaker 8: Hey, it's great to be This is a big deal. This is what Washington looks like when we're getting things done, when we're working across the aisle. It's a victory for bipartisan governance. And for the first time in our nation's history, we have voted on crypto regulation to regulate the industry and do the things we need to protect consumers, stop the next FTX. You know, great bipartisan showing of support.
Speaker 2: Yesterday in the House, we had the head of the blockchain association with us at the table here yesterday, who was on her way to a party after the program because of the moment that you just framed, But how do you make it more than a message meal? By the way, I realized this is a big deal for the industry. A couple of years ago. This moment probably could not have been envisioned. But you want to get it across the finish line, right, No, this.
Speaker 8: Was this was you know, over a year, hundreds and hundreds of hours of work with our Republican colleagues to get this bill to a place where we could get seventy one Democrats behind it. And by the way, I saw her at that party afterwards, so I know she made it. But you know, this is this has been a you know, a bipartisan process. You know, my fellow North Carolinian and Republican chair of our committee, Patrick McHenry, sat down immediately with Democrats like me who wanted to work on this issue and said, listen, we're going to do this together. And you know, we brought in our changes, we brought in you know, for this bill to get it to this point. And you know, we know seventy one Democrats is a big deal. This is more than we thought we could get. But you just kind of talk to folks, educate them on the issues. And if you educate folks on the issues about why we need to keep innovation in the US, why we need to protect consumers and regulate the industry, you know, we got a lot of great folks on board, including people like Speaker Nancy Pelosi.
Speaker 2: So a great win yesterday. Well it sounds like we're going to have another pretty important development today with the potential for an Ether ETF being approved. How important is that in the normalization You talk about the education of people here and that you're right. It tends to be and I'm not sitting here with a position on this, but tends to be the more people learn about crypto, the more in some cases they are drawn to it. If that's the case, you see headlines like today it's not just bitcoin, it's Ether. This is part of the industrial investment space. Does that unlock opportunities on Capitol Hill or demand solutions on Capitol Hill?
Speaker 8: I can just tell you Unether's that's a place where the sec after we pushed and pushed allowed for a Bitcoin e t F, and they ought to use the same rules in rationale to approve the the ether E t F. I pushed, you know, with Democrat Josh Gottheimer Chair Patrick McHenry in a letter just yesterday to Gary Gensler urging him to to approve that the ether E t F.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 8: You know, but these are these are good products. This is this is a place that is safe for for consumers and and in a way that gives them the opportunity to invest in these products. So I think it's a good thing, and I'm hopeful that that we'll have good news from the SEC. But you know, in general, we're seeing regulation by enforcement that is not helping President Biden, you know. And I think the SEC generally is is out of step with with the rest of the Biden administration on a lot of these issues. So, uh, you know, the SEC is not uh, you know, the only voice, the only the only person at the table here.
Speaker 2: We've mentioned before that you're ending your tenure at least for now in Congress, and as someone who has the freedom to speak, not running for reelection, and I realize that you may well be back in the political sphere at some point soon. Has your office become a refuge for other lawmakers who can come there and say whatever they want.
Speaker 8: You know, there's a ton of freedom in this that you get to do the things that I care about, and a bipartisan way. If I you know, if I think the Democrats are right, I'm with my Democrats. If the Republicans have a good point, you know, I get to work with them on issues. So you know, that's been great. But you know, for me, it's just about getting four years of work done in two years. So we are literally, you know, racing it to get to the finish line, to do as much as we can.
Speaker 6: And you know, people.
Speaker 8: Who send us to Washington expect us to work and get things done. And I just grasp for any opportunity to move legislation that can get through the House and Senate, get signed by the President, and help the people I'm here to.
Speaker 2: Serve, all while honoring the grateful dead that is Wiley Nickel. I thought of you, and I I saw the images from the sphere. Congressman, my god, I have to be there for the next one. Thanks for coming back, and don't be a stranger while you're in town. Wiley nicol the Democrat from North Carolina.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Balance of Power podcast can just live weekdays at noon Eastern on Applecarplay and royd Otto with a Bloomberg business ad. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station Just Say Alexa playing Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: Eleven thirty, we had the voice of an expert, Robin Sanders, former US Ambassador to the Congo under George W. Bush, to Nigeria under George Bush, and Barack Obama, former Director for Africa at the National Security Council, now a member of the board of Human Rights Watch. Madam Ambassador, It's great to have you on Bloomberg. What do you want to hear from Joe Biden when he speaks today?
Speaker 9: I think that there's a scene seenter here that I want to actually talk about. First, this is the first African president's state visit since two thousand and eight. That should really set the tone for howeverten this is the fact that Kenya has been chosen for this really underscores the role that Kenya is playing on the continent and that Kenya also playing a more global leading role, particularly with the announcement today that it will be a non natal security partner for the US. So this is a big deal. It's a pivot for us in a big way that we needed to make. We are behind the curve in terms of our engagement with Africa on a consistent level. We're seen as being episodic, only coming to the region when we need something. And I think this message that we hear you, we see you as an equal partner and a strategic partner that Biden is doing during this visit is extremely important.
Speaker 2: If you're with us on Bloomberg TV, you see the East Room at the White House decked out and ready for these two leaders when they speak. Will bring the conversation with you and Madam Ambassador, I'll apologize in advance if our conversation is interrupted. There are a lot of audiences for the event that you just described, and China is one of them, to the extent that countries like Kenya have been left carrying heavy debtloads as a byproduct of the Belt and Road initiative in China. What can the US do to help? Is it through private enterprise, private investment as this administration is saying, or does the government need to help here as well?
Speaker 9: All of those combined needs to be China. We are behind the curve in this visit, though, you'll see that we're focused on a number of things. There is with a business roundtable that was held at the White House as well. There's a billion dollar deal on the table. Microsoft. You had visits to Coca Cola, you had a state visit also, he went to Atlanta and met with business leaders there, and so it is a very multi faceted thematic rip. It is not only the security message, it's not only the democracy message, but it is the trade and investment message. American businesses wanted to trade was the country like Kenya because of its history of democracy, and we need to step up as the US government to do more. You'll see that prosper Africa. You know, all the government agencies on the development and business side are very much involved in this visit and they're excited about it. From a trade perspective, from a foreign direct investment perspective, So all of those things are playing in this visit. And for those of us who worked ONCA for years, we see this as a big plus not only for the US but for the image that the US is really getting it that they need to be involved with Africa. In a much more deep and comprehensive way.
Speaker 2: Does Joe Biden need to go there now?
Speaker 9: I think so. He had mentioned it earlier in his tenure. I know things on the ground in the world have trained so drastically, So I don't know whether that will happen now in November. Realistically, I get that. But the fact that this state is it. I said, when you look at the time period two thousand time where generations have come into leadership on the continent, not only just in business but in politics, and we've been left out of that because we haven't shown the constancy that China has. And whatever criticisms that you have about China in terms of debt, those are true. But China can pivot fast as he can, and they have understood that and they are trying to address that. But the other thing that I will say that China has had a annual meeting with African heads of states the nineteen nineties, since at the end of the nineteen nineties, and so you have this longevity there of consu instancy, including the Foreign Minister, which would be the equivalent of Secretary Blinking going to the continent every single year. At the beginning of the year without fail for all of that period of time. So we haven't shown this consistent engagement, and I think that this I can't tell you how important this visit is. It sends so many messages in the right direction, and I really commend the administration for moving in that direction in such a high level way.
Speaker 2: Well, it is pretty amazing. We remember the investments that George W. Bush made as a Republican president. You were there for it as ambassador to the Congo, and there's been a bit of an interruption. To your point, it's been sixteen years. How long will it be before there's another.
Speaker 9: Well, I'm hoping that this is a wake up call overall that Africa is here. It will have the largest population in the world in collectly, I mean combined in about a decade out right now, it's on track to have the largest working age population combined. That means you combine the entire rest of the world, the African continent will have the largest working aid population in about ten years. And so when I lecture about I talked to students and people interested in Africa, even from the American perspective, Where do you think your markets are going to be? Who do you think your local and economic leaders are going to be where they're going to be, They're going to be on the continent, and they're starting now. And you see that now and that the Biden administration has recognized that. And I mentioned earlier that President Ruto had done a stop in Atlanta. I thought that was fantastic. He went to Spelman to highlight, you know, educational ties, there's a climate change a portion of the visit. I already mentioned the business and trade aspect. He went to the creative industries of Perry Tyler to show you just how important digital Africa and the United States, and of course the history there. President Ruttel also had a visit to the Hill. He met with Speaker Johnson, he met with the minority leader Jefferies, met with the Congressional Black Caucus leaders. And so this is a comprehensive visit. It was well thought out, very detailed. It doesn't mean that there aren't challenges on the line. I also want to add the security portion to this. Uh, the fact that the President has announced that Keny will be a non NATO security partner. We've never done that on a concontent before in such an official way. We're episodic about that you know, will choose a particular issue in a particular country to lats on security wise, but to designate an entire country and that lead as a security partner at the at the as close to the natal level as you can get, I think is is unique. And then Kenya, of course, as you know, is going to be leading this multinational force to Haiti, and so all of that, its role in the region, its role in trying to turn its economics around. It's leadership on climate change in the region, it's leadership not only in East Africa, but you know the continent writ large, and all the other things that I mentioned in terms of trade and business sides are just fundamental and very important.
Speaker 2: She spent time serving as US Ambassador to Nigeria and the Congo Former ambassador Robin Sanders. We really appreciate the insights.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Balance of Power podcast. Catch Just Live weekdays at noon Eastern on APO car Play and then Roun Auto with the Bloomberg Business app. Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: We assemble our panel now with an eye on the campaign trail of course, Joe Biden here the trappings of the White House. That's the whole point of this, right caught in the act of presidenting. He's not on the campaign trail today. He's got the one thing that no one else can do when they're running, and that is actually being on the stage at the White House all the while. Donald Trump's world rocked by Nicky Haley. And I'm not about to tell you another story here about a protest vote in a primary state. She says she's going to vote Trump. Nicki Haley talking in Washington at the Hudson Institute yesterday before we assemble the panel. Here's what she said.
Speaker 10: Biden has been a catastrophe, So I will be voting for Trump. Trump would be smart to reach out to the millions of people who voted for me and continue to support me and not assume that they're just going to be with him. And I genuinely hope he does that.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, that's not a endorsement, or is it a half endorsement. She's going to vote for him, but he's still got to work for the votes of her supporters, many of whom have stood by her through a primary season that did not even include her active campaign. Jeanie Shanzana was with as Bloomberg Politics contributor and now Senior Democracy Fellow with the Center for the Study of the Presidency and Congress, alongside Republican strategist Chape and Faye, managing director at ACTEM. Great to see both of you here. Help me understand what's going on Chapin inside the Republican Party. Is it enough or doesn't it even matter for Nikki Hayley to say she's voting Trump? Why not the full endorsement? Why the half measure?
Speaker 4: Well, I think it does matter.
Speaker 11: I think it's a signal to her voters that they can vote for Trump, and I think she still wants to see him do some of the right things on her you know, particular policy positions and in general in the campaign. But it is certainly an endorsement of Trump. Anyone saying they're going to vote for them is an endorsement. I think it matters just a little bit. I think she brings some voters to the table. Though you know, Trump was handily winning all of these primary votes. You know, not much contest, but he's been winning them handily and in some cases in a lot of cases combined, more he receives more votes than all the other ones on the ballot combined.
Speaker 4: So it almost.
Speaker 11: Doesn't matter a whole terrible lot if he loses all of Nicky Haley's voters. But it's certainly, you know, as they vote, as they fight around the margins for the independent voters, those voters are certainly once Trump is.
Speaker 4: Going to need to bank.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wonder your thoughts on this, genie, And to the extent to which they could either stay home or actually vote for the Democrat in this case, let's not confuse ourselves. Nicki Haley was and he is a very conservative Republican, and she said something really interesting yesterday. I'd like to give you both a chance to react to this, because yes, she's going to vote for Donald Trump, and yes she said Joe Biden's a catastrophe. But here's what else she said. Quote A loud part of each party wants us to abandon our allies, appease our enemies, and focus only on the problems we have at home. This worldview has already put America in great danger, and the threat is mounting by the day. Unquote. That's not an endorsement of Donald Trump's worldview, Genie, who's she talking to?
Speaker 7: Yeah, First of all, I think we need a new word for, you know, lukewarm, tepid. To your point, endorsement. I kept feeling like there should be like a cartoon bubble over her head saying, you know, I'm only doing this because the future in the party. I mean, you know, Chris Christy knew this was coming. That's why he said he wouldn't endorse her, because he knew she would endorse Donald Trump in the end. And she has. And to your point, her list, I wrote them down of priorities she looks for in a president, has the back of allies, is going to secure the border, supports freedom, and of course understands the need for less debt. In every single one of those issues. She criticized, you know, viciously, Donald Trump on those on the allies. She criticized him for saying, not only wouldn't he have the back of our NATO allies, but he'd encourage Russia to attack them. That was in February in the debate. She said, Donald Trump randaut eight trillion dollars in debt. So I can't answer, to your point, who she is talking to and her sort of lukewarm I'll vote for him, but you guys make up your own mind. This is a big problem for Republicans. You've got closed primaries with one fifth of voters going out to vote for somebody who has no chance of winning in Nikki Haley, whether it's Indiana, and you know, up and down these these states in the last few months and she dropped out, So big problem. I don't see this as much of an endorsement. I see it as her trying to hang on to a role in the party when Donald Trump is shown the door at some point or the other.
Speaker 2: Well, and I suspect that she will have one chapein I'm guessing that you do too. But her take on Donald Trump's protectionist view, and she does refer to each loud part of each party she said in this quote is speaking to whom or is she simply out of step with the modern Republican Party.
Speaker 11: Well, I think certainly her presential efforts shows that she's not fully in step with the current Republican Party. So, you know, I think that is an issue I would note though on you know, I think one of the things the point she's making is on national security. If you just compare where we are now from where we were four years ago. I mean things, And we can have a debate about whether Joe Biden is to blame at all or fully or what for this, but the world in the country is just much more dangerous and the incumbent gets tagged with that no matter whether he's responsible, he or she is responsible. Right, So Joe Biden is presiding over, you know, a a country in a world where there are multiple wars on multiple fronts. Uh, you know, over the southern border, people are pouring over. Things are getting worse, and I think a lot of people, including Nikki Haley, are wondering, like, what is the plan here?
Speaker 4: You know, no one you know he he on the border.
Speaker 11: There's just nothing happening, right, and the national security state status in this country is much worse than it was.
Speaker 4: We are less secure, less safe than we were four years ago. So I think that's what she.
Speaker 11: You know, that's she was, you know, the UN ambassador. This is something she cares a lot about. This is something in her wheelhouse. This is something that she has a voice on. So I think you're gonna hear more from her on these particular topics in particular uh as as the campaign goes, and I would also just point out, you know, the the tepid endorsement, the I will vote for him, but he has to earn the vote. That's a way for her to have a voice also during the campaign, right, That's a way for her to keep talking about the things she wants to talk about and pushing the president's form of President Trump to the right place in her eyes.
Speaker 2: You think Chapin she gets a role, a speaking role at the convention.
Speaker 11: It's such a hard guessing game to play with Donald Trump. You know, it's hard to tell if you know he has if she successfully got under his skin, and it's a no or Like many others who have tried and failed to take him on, they get put into the collection you know of speakers and cabinet members and stuff.
Speaker 4: So I think there's a possibility.
Speaker 11: I'm not sure President Trump wants anyone who ran against him to really.
Speaker 4: Have a huge a huge platform there, but you never know.
Speaker 11: I mean, on the other side of the the other side of that coin is that always feels nice for someone to have lost to you, and that to hear them, you know publicly, ador Or she woute a speech to the entire country. So you know, gloss, I really I don't even I think it's fifty to fifty.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you. I remember that Ted Cruz speech. Boy, that didn't go over the way they expected it to.
Speaker 4: You didn't.
Speaker 2: You don't think Nikki Haley shows up? How about Mike Pence, Genie, Is he gonna speak at the convention?
Speaker 7: I would doubt it, you know, I think we have to put Mike Pence Liz Cheney, and they said they wouldn't support him. I doubt they'll be there. You know, Donald Trump, as you know, came out and said, not only isn't she going to have a you know, any sort of role as vice president or anything else. He doesn't want her supporters. She's banned. He'll win without them. Who knows he could slip on that, you know, in the next day. But I do think this show is enormous, you know, an enormous division in the Republican Party that we don't talk a lot about. I mean, we talk about the division and the Democratic Party, and lord knows it's there, but on the Republican side. You know, somebody pointed out, and I think it's important to say when you're looking at somebody like Larry Hogan, this more traditional Republican. In the Maryland primary, he gets sixty seven percent. That shows you that there are maga voters in Maryland who are not going to come out for him, and just similarly, there are traditional quote unquote Republicans that are going out for him. And that is across the board. That's why she continues long after she's dropped out of the race, to see you see people coming out and saying, I know she can't win, She's not even in this thing anymore, but you know what, I'm going to take a stand and cast my vote for her in a closed primary. So there is a division there and it probably won't be addressed this go around here at the Republican Convention, but boy, it's there and it is going to crop up, and somebody should be there to take advantage of it. When Donald Trump takes a step aside at some point, well.
Speaker 2: Let me just take the opportunity to put a little fear up the spine of politicos across the Capitol here and even in New York where you are, Genie. The great fear expressed in the newest polling by Marquette Law School general election. If it were held today, Trump versus Biden fifty to fifty, it's a tie. This is the stuff that keeps people up at night, chape and faith recounts or maybe even going to the House of Representatives to decide the outcome.
Speaker 11: Look, no matter what happens, I think it's pretty clear that it's going to be if it's close, it's going to be pretty nasty and problematic, right And it does keep me up, and I think both both parties need to act, you know, in accordance. This country really isn't set up for fifty to fifty type results. It's very difficult, particularly in a presidential race as we have seen you know pretty much this entire century.
Speaker 4: That you know, a very close race is going to put.
Speaker 11: A put a deep strain on Americans and our institutions that are already understrained. You know, the left and the right have different ideas of why they're understreamed, but I think we can all agree that, you know.
Speaker 4: They are under some stress right now.
Speaker 11: And you know, listen, there's a chance President I don't think it's a high chance, but there's a chance President Trump is convicted in a criminal court and sentenced to prison and still elected to the presidency. So that in and of itself is going to be a constitutional crisis like we have never experienced that.
Speaker 4: We're laughing, but it.
Speaker 1: Is kind of scary.
Speaker 2: Like you said, this is the mad house we're living in right now, Jeannie, with on our minute left, it brings us back full circle now to our Bloomberg Swing state, Paul yesterday. This is why half the electorate in the swing states fears violence around the election.
Speaker 7: That's right. And can you imagine if this thing gets thrown to the House. It's one vote per state delegation. This is not a House that is controlled by the Republicans by more than just a smidgeon at this point. So those battles with those state delegation boats alone would be you know, enormous. You know, you just can't wrap your head around. We feared this in sixteen and twenty. It could come to fruition this time. And Joe, I'm just gonna say, since I'm on a kick for constitutional reform these days, yeah, consider it sectoral college. While I try to pack that, Oh my god, I know it's not going to happen, but it may be time to have a conversation after November.
Speaker 1: What the heck.
Speaker 2: I love it. We have to have this conversation, absolutely, and that's why it's great to have Jenny Shanzeno and Shape and Fay are great panel today. Thanks for listening to the Balance of Power podcast. Make sure to subscribe if you haven't already, at Apple, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts, and you can find us live every weekday from Washington, DC at New Time Eastern at Bloomberg dot com.