Speaker 1: Did you just get back from your trip?
Speaker 2: I did? Did you?
Speaker 1: I did? How was yours?
Speaker 2: It was amazing? The weather was perfect.
Speaker 1: Where did you go?
Speaker 2: So we went to Greece for a couple of days.
Speaker 3: We did Santorini, Mikonos, and then a couple of little small islands, and then.
Speaker 2: We hopped over to and did the Malfy Coast. What a dream. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: I will say I had no idea that in that area of Italy no canolis, and I died, Oh my god, I find a canoli for the life of me.
Speaker 2: We went to beautiful dinners. Ever, I could not I couldn't believe it. I was looking forward to them.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I'm gonna a million of these things while I'm gone, not one.
Speaker 2: It was. That was the only thing I could say that.
Speaker 3: Jordan and I both were like wow, because I think we just didn't know. If we had known, it had been like whatever.
Speaker 1: Right, you would have brought your own cannolis for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I gotta hit up by my friend who makes amazing cannolis, and I just got to have her make me sound great.
Speaker 2: How about you?
Speaker 1: We had a blast, we did.
Speaker 4: We love London and we spent our first four days in London, and then we took a train up to Edinburgh, Scotland, and we were there for three days. Then we rented a car and drove back to the Cotswolds, which is like an hour and a half outside of London, and okay, it's just the English countryside.
Speaker 1: And since we had the car, we got to do a bunch of stuff.
Speaker 4: We drove to Stonehenge, we went to all these cool restaurants and just it was magical. And then we got back in the car and went back to London for two days. My wife does a half day of shopping and I go to my Tower of London and take my history oracle tours.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we did.
Speaker 4: We had an absolute blastic Other than one little driving let's call it faux paw, everything went very very well.
Speaker 3: Do you guys have a favorite restaurant? You said you love legend, so you guys go there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, our favorite.
Speaker 4: Our favorite restaurant is an Indian place called jim Kanaka, which is which is it's a one or two Michelin Star. And there's time. So when we find out when we figure out when we're going to London and be like Oh, we're gonna go to London in four months. We'll call immediately book a table. It is the best chicken tika and best butter chicken ever in the history of the world.
Speaker 1: If you like Indian food, it is just magical.
Speaker 4: So that we got we had that our first night there, and every single meal after, which was great, just paled in comparison.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's what I will say.
Speaker 3: I love the food everywhere we travel is like a big thing for Georgians and I he does so much re urch into restaurants and things like that. The Italian food options that we had. One of the best meals is we did like a six course thing out of a pizza rhea, So we did different kinds of.
Speaker 2: Pizzas well, a fried one.
Speaker 3: It almost looked like a doughnut with pasta sauce and just freshly shaved cheese. Oh was so great. It was like the weirdest looking They were going, what is that? So we did we did six course.
Speaker 2: And it had wine pairing with each of it. That was amazing.
Speaker 3: Then we went and did like a mom and pop family owned restaurant, which was another six course thing. We didn't know what was gonna happen, and that one the last course you're on, Course six ends up being a plate full of just different kinds of meats, heavy meats, and you're going.
Speaker 2: There's no way, this is not this is it. I'm out. I'm out.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 3: They go through each section so fast, and they said, you know, and you know this one's rabbit, blah blah blah. No, excuse me, sorry, I think you need to just can you slow down real quick because I need to know which one you just pointed to.
Speaker 2: Because that will not be me what you don't like rabbit. I've had it once. It's so gamy.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty good about I'll try things, you know, I can. I can get through, especially when it's like a really cool restaurant and stuff.
Speaker 2: But I've tried rabbit. Now. That's the thing. If I try it and I don't like it, don't never again. Don't do it. Don't try to like I guess a sea urchin I do. I will. I love sushi. I tried sea urchin once, don't like it, will not try it again.
Speaker 1: Don't me not a fan of uni?
Speaker 2: Nope?
Speaker 1: I feel yeah the same way.
Speaker 4: By the way, in the future, I don't know if you've ever found if have you found the joy that is with locals?
Speaker 1: No, so with locals.
Speaker 4: Every time soon and I go to a new city, we do this thing it's called with locals and you. It's usually like a college age kid, although in Scotland this time it wasn't. And it's like sixty or seventy five bucks and for anywhere from an hour and a half to three hours, you just get a tour of the city you're in with a local.
Speaker 2: That is cool.
Speaker 1: It's the best.
Speaker 4: So it's just you, guys, it's not You're not on this giant tour group. It's like, Hi, I'm Michael, I've lived here for thirty five years. This is where you want to eat. These are the cool shops, this is the cool We do it in every city we go to with locals.
Speaker 1: I cannot recommend.
Speaker 2: Is that an app?
Speaker 1: Or it's like yeah, it's on the computer machine right there. Okay, and there you go. But anyway, welcome back to Magical Rewind. I missed you too, like I missed uh.
Speaker 4: Being able to say you can grab your friends, your pj's and your popcorn and go back to a time where all the houses were smart.
Speaker 1: The wave Tsunamis in the High School's musical. I'm Wilfred All.
Speaker 2: And I'm Sabrina Brian.
Speaker 1: Boy, do we do.
Speaker 4: We have one for you today? This is gonna be a tough one.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be because here's why it's gonna be tough for me, Because I love everyone in the movie. Everyone in the movie is great. Dcom Royalty one and all.
Speaker 4: I agree, but this one, as this is the joke you and I have been saying back and forth, and I'm sure we're gonna say this an awful lot today.
Speaker 1: This one was say it with Me Rough, Yes, it was.
Speaker 4: So protect your prize collection of first edition gotham Man comic books because it's team to review the two thousand and five d COM where the D stands for dog.
Speaker 1: Life is Rough.
Speaker 4: It first aired on July fifteenth, two thousand and five. Life Is Rough is another animal focused entry into the DCOM library. A common theme scene in these movies and also pretty common for the Channel. Let's be honest, let us never forget the dog with blog another thing this movie had in common with the Disney Channel. Many of its stars. As we just talked about, we're gonna break those down in a minute, of course, also keeping it straight up d com. It is of course filmed in Utuah, which our listeners should have figured out when they saw former Utah Film Association president Don Shane credited as the producer. And if you are a fan of the show, then of course you're looking for Don's name. Absolutely, you're like, oh, Don Jane.
Speaker 1: There we go.
Speaker 2: Filled with knowledge. Now, everyone filled with d com knowledge.
Speaker 4: It makes you the life of a very specific type of party. This movie steals some of its plot from the classic Disney animated film Oliver and Company and has one of the most confusing soundtracks we've encountered to this point. But this movie also got me wondering, Sabrina, what is the biggest Because we're gonna we're gonna fill this podcast today with fun animal.
Speaker 1: Facts of our own.
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 1: Yes, what is the biggest dog you've ever had in your life? And have you had a dog?
Speaker 2: I guess I should ask, Yes, I've had.
Speaker 3: I'm on my third dog. The first dog I had we've actually talked about him before. His name was Bannit and he was that beautiful Golden Retriever that I had.
Speaker 2: And he was the biggest one.
Speaker 3: I would say I'm not good at weights with dogs that size, but I would say it was like seventy eighty pounds.
Speaker 2: He's a big he's a big, a good sized guy. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then my little guy Rocky was all of I think his biggest.
Speaker 2: He was eight and a half okay. Towards the later years in life, well, rock was about six. Oh.
Speaker 3: And then I got my big Bertha Emily over here now because Ledger won't stop feeding her. Ya. That is high chair and he just throws it off and she is very nice and cushiony right now. And she's fourteen pounds.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: My dog Sammy sits next to me because while I don't have a high chair, I still like I do. So yes, my first dog, because I wasn't a dog person until later in life. A dog came with my wife and I was like, I'm not sure I like this and then became my ultimate best friend.
Speaker 2: It was Jordan, for sure.
Speaker 4: So that's Dash Dash. We lost Dash a while ago. He was a Vishla, but he was a big visul. He was about eighty pounds eighty five okay, which for a Vishla is very very big. And then my girl Sammy right now is about fifty five. But she's a little, uh, you know, kind of self conscious about it, so we don't bring it up.
Speaker 1: She's still carrying some holiday weight, that's how we look at it. She's fine. She was the one that was trained by the prisoners.
Speaker 4: Yes, she was trained by the prisoners in the in the oh oh yeah, California penal system.
Speaker 1: Ye.
Speaker 2: Yes. Do you know what Breech she is.
Speaker 1: She's a straight up mutt. She is a total mutt.
Speaker 4: But she's I think mostly we think cattled. Okay, she's beautiful girl. And we'll put up pictures of our dogs because we should just talk about it. Let's just do an hour of talking about our dogs.
Speaker 1: Let's just do that. We can't. We can't.
Speaker 4: So Life Is Rough, of course, is available to stream right now on Disney Plus. You can watch it before you listen to us or after. Just don't do it right before you go to bed, or you're gonna have nightmares about dogs.
Speaker 1: Trust me. I know this first, as we always asked, Sabrina, what did you know about Life Is Rough? Before it became an episode of our pod cast?
Speaker 2: I just did.
Speaker 1: Our pod cast, Thank you very much.
Speaker 4: I will show myself out, what did you know about Rina?
Speaker 2: I did not know anything about it.
Speaker 3: I found out that are who are who are doing an interview with was a part of it because of the scheduling that we have for the podcast, and then found out that Mitchell Musso was also in it. When I started the movie and I saw the first credits, I go oh, and then of course that's it.
Speaker 2: Really okay.
Speaker 3: I obviously knew it was going to be about a dog. We both said going into this, if these dogs don't talk, we're both out.
Speaker 2: We're not even going to watch it.
Speaker 1: And dogs didn't talk.
Speaker 3: The dogs didn't talk, but this made way more sense for them to make it.
Speaker 1: It is this, this, this.
Speaker 3: Hundred human talking to a dog who was saying anything back. This didn't It didn't bother me like it would have had Kyle Massey been trying to talk to this dog.
Speaker 2: And and.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly no, I would have agreed.
Speaker 3: I would have absolutely just called and said, you know what, you've pushed it too far.
Speaker 1: T yep. Instead of d com, it's DBS, that's right, that's just Disney at this point, which, of course no, they did. No, it didn't bump me at all, and of course, I'd never you know.
Speaker 4: The funny thing is, I feel like in all of the podcasts we've been doing recently, we always end by saying, and next week we're gonna let We're gonna watch life is rough. I feel like we said that nine times. I've heard of the movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but no I ever heard of this movie.
Speaker 4: So let us uh, before you ignore just the one dog left in the box of free puppies, don't get me started. Let's hop into the synopsis. A teenage slacker adopts a stray dog as part of a plan to win a large cash prize at an upcoming competition.
Speaker 1: Early thought, Sabriena, what'd you think of the movie?
Speaker 3: Well, I was excited. Kyle and Mitchell, I'm thinking, how can you go wrong? Too? Ever, hilarious hilarious kids from the Channel, both in real life and through their acting.
Speaker 2: I love both of those.
Speaker 3: Guys, So I'm thinking I've got high hopes right from the start. You put a bunch of puppies in a box.
Speaker 1: In the pouring rain, and the rain and.
Speaker 2: At a grocery store owner gives zero zero care about these dogs that are.
Speaker 1: Like shutting off the lights.
Speaker 2: Shutting the lights off. It was kind of going, oh, we're going dark here A little.
Speaker 3: Gave me kind of Lady in the Tramp vibes as we start getting in the beginning. So I'm kind of going, okay.
Speaker 4: Thatat Lady in the Tramp and one hundred and one Dalmatians the one thing nobody talks about in one hundred and one Dalmatians, it would have been.
Speaker 1: A beautiful coat. So here's the thing. Uh, here's the thing.
Speaker 4: And I'm sure that this changes state to state, place to place.
Speaker 1: Where it happens. I'm sure this is possible.
Speaker 4: When we went to go adopt our dog, we went through a rigorous adoption process. Oh really, Oh yeah, ok, box of puppies you just don't really see too much anymore.
Speaker 1: And I know what happens. It was more with kittens.
Speaker 4: Than dogs, right, you see, like box of kittens or whatever. But that starting with that and then not picking the one really cute dog and leaving them in the pouring rain.
Speaker 1: It left it did. It left kind of a bad taste in my mouth.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, and instantly I'm going, oh, here's my first Sabrita Seas. There's clearly only like three dogs hired for this box.
Speaker 1: That's supposed to sixty two dogs.
Speaker 3: Three dogs hired for this box of eight dogs. You could just tell it's the same dogs that are getting pulled, you know. It was just kind of it. Every time they looked in it was supposed to look like there was more dogs because they kept coming out, but the box looked empty. Every time they were doing that overshot.
Speaker 4: It was not there were full of dogs. So yeah, this was I'm not gonna lie. This was a tough one for me to get through. Yeah, but anyway, life is rough as directed by Charles had a season TV director with Emmy nominations for Hill Street Blues, NYPD Blue and Murder Won.
Speaker 1: Three Great Shows, but this was his only dcom.
Speaker 4: Hayde was also an accomplished actor, appearing in episodes of gun Smoke, BJ and the Bear and Third Watch Again three Awesome Shows. He was also surprisingly one of the stars in the cult classic horror movie from Ken Russell written by Patty Chayevsky, Altered States, and is in the nineteen eighty Clive Barker scare fest Night Breed, which is of course very.
Speaker 1: Far from Disney Channel stuff. The movie stars.
Speaker 4: As we were talking about Disney regular Kyle Massey as Calvin's best known as Corey Baxter in That's So Raven, a role he would later spin off into another Channel favorite, Corey in the House. The channel's first ever spinoff, by the way, was Corey in the House, So you know, they obviously thought quite a bit of this young actor to not only put him on That's So Raven, but to give.
Speaker 1: Them the first ever spin off.
Speaker 4: Kyle is also a rapper who was signed to Disney and Hollywood Records and was the runner up. Seems to be a theme on our show runner Up on season eleven of Dancing with the Stars, and a little bit of trivia here. His brother Christopher played Michael Barrett on Nick's Zoey one oh one for over three years. Sabrina, you and Kyle are friends, right? You guys know each other for a while.
Speaker 2: Yes. Absolutely.
Speaker 3: It started off just seeing each other as we were doing different Disney Channel or Disney premieres like Red Carpet, you know, things are promotional stuff for the channel.
Speaker 2: He was on the Yellow team for our distey, so we're going to talk about that, okay, And.
Speaker 3: Then he did Dancing with the Stars after I did with My Girl Lacey Swimmer, and then the two.
Speaker 2: Of us actually or well all three of.
Speaker 3: Us ended up being on that Vegas show that Live in Las Vegas. He was up there doing that, and then I think that's the last last time we worked together. But you know, to see him her for a while. Anytime it was out in Hollywood, he was out. He's a fun guy.
Speaker 2: I love him. He's got a great family. His brother's very sweet, his mom is amazing.
Speaker 3: Shout out angel, love you girl, and yeah, I love, love love Kyle, and I think he is beyond talented.
Speaker 2: He's so he was.
Speaker 3: The way he is on TV is just very much the way he is in person. Like just this like bubbly cracking up.
Speaker 1: He was trying.
Speaker 4: He was trying in this movie. He really really was what they gave him. He was trying to find the funny. I give him so much credit for that. But as of course, then there's another DID mainstay, Mitchell Musso, who played Calvin's bestie Raymond fig Musso is also a musician in the Disney family and appeared in the two thousand and nine d com dcom's special to Our Hearts and No One's.
Speaker 1: Ever Gonna Hear It but Sabrina and I love it.
Speaker 4: Hatching Pete but as best Known at which which of course also stars are our favorite decom actor of all time.
Speaker 1: We won't say his name because we're not worthy of it.
Speaker 4: But that's We're just going to keep elevating him as we should. He's best known as Oliver and Hannah Montana the TV show and the film and Brady on Pair of kings Worth.
Speaker 1: Noting too.
Speaker 4: Musso is also the voice of Jeremy on Phineas and Ferb and DJ in the animated spooky movie Monster House and now Sound the Alarm, Everybody, we have yet again a pana Baker.
Speaker 1: Kay. We got to have some kind of Panabaker horny Cannibaker. Kay. That's how you do it. We just have to sing it, so Kay.
Speaker 4: Panabaker plays Emily Watson, and you should remember her because we just talked about her on Read It and Weep. That plays the best selling author writing about the dream life of her alter ego, which of course was played by her sister in real life, Danielle. Also Kay has been on TV shows like Summerline, The Sweet Life of Zack and Cody, and Phil of the Future, and of course as I've said is a doppelganger for Larissa Olnek and is in the two thousand and seven Nancy movie.
Speaker 1: And for those who care, the role of Tycho the dog was played by a dog and that dog's name was Jed.
Speaker 4: Have you ever worked with a dog or any We've talked about animal working like it's different.
Speaker 1: You ever do a dog thing?
Speaker 2: Cheetah girls, you saw it, you had an issue with the dog that was?
Speaker 4: I know, but other than the dog that was that stupidly jumped into the hole, anything else, I.
Speaker 2: Don't think so.
Speaker 3: I've not dogs, elephants, camel okay, but I think that's it.
Speaker 2: I don't think I have. You had much work with dogs?
Speaker 4: A ton really to work with dog like like weird things. So, starting back when I started my career, the first television show I was on was eleven years old. It was a show called Nick Don't just sit there on Nickelodeon, and we were like a kid Saturday Night Live. But we would interview special guests, so all these famous people will come on. And the movie with Tom Hanks just came out, Turner and Hooch okay, and so there's a huge dog in Turner and Hooch, and there's this famous scene where Tom Hanks is lying on the ground and the dog has his mouth over Tom Hanks's throat, so they recreated that with me when I was eleven, with the actual dog the ooch came on and I'm lying on the ground and he's got his giant mouth over my throat, which no, But thinking back, I'm like, what, wow, I should have been.
Speaker 1: I've worked with the.
Speaker 4: Monkey from Friends, I've worked with we had huge Saint Bernards on Boymet's World.
Speaker 1: I've worked with two different bears. Yeah. No, I've worked with a lot of animals. This movie runs eighty four minutes, which was below the target, and I gotta be honest.
Speaker 4: That was absolutely fine for me. Not ideal of chorus because in the real world, ideal is ninety, but it really was fine. Life Is Rough was written by Eddie Gusellian I hope I'm saying his name properly, and accomplished writer for animated projects like Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, which the TV show they did, Leelo and Stitch, to the Penguins of Madagascar, and two episodes of one of the greatest animated shows of all time, Kim Possepa Bill Yah. Now, he did work on some of live action shows as well, like Neds, de Classified and Unfabulous, but it's still a little shocking to see he'd go on to write for The Walking Dead.
Speaker 1: Not quite the same as Life as Rough or Kim Possible, a bit different Walking Dead.
Speaker 4: Now we're coming into more of your area of expertise, but even I noticed this.
Speaker 1: Let's get a little bit into the soundtrack, Sabrina, do you have any feelings about the music in this movie?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 1: Wow, wow.
Speaker 3: I with the exception of I did think Kyle's song that came.
Speaker 1: On the very end over the credits.
Speaker 3: Over the credits was so cute and with that perfect for this movie. I just was trying to figure this is the first time. I mean, it doesn't always hit completely on the mark all the way throughout the movie, but I would say this one was the first.
Speaker 2: What happened?
Speaker 1: Every song was bad?
Speaker 2: This was two thousand and five.
Speaker 3: They have geared up already, many many talented people within their wheelhouse. Oh why aren't they using them in this movie? Why isn't the movie better? They regardless of having the talent from the shows, They've got a giant group of producers that are are even on wanting to work with the Channel and two and five huge amount like everyone's seeing, oh you can make money if you get a good movie going and you get just one song. So they've had a lot of connections. I just don't know where that money went. When it was coming towards this soundtrack, it was.
Speaker 4: It was odd Dog one where it's like, okay, does every song have to be weirdly dog related with weird voices on it?
Speaker 3: And it was then some of the background stuff that did have like wasn't an actual song.
Speaker 1: Even the composing was really strange.
Speaker 2: It was I I was.
Speaker 3: It was throwing me off because I agreed, I just don't expect that from Disney Channel at this point anymore. Like agree, that's and it's I mean, obviously we're professionals here as we break down each of these movies now right.
Speaker 4: Right, No, what I mean even seriously, go way back, go to go to even like Brink Yes Surreal, which is what in mid nineties, and that's got some real cool ska sounds, It's got some great songs, and then you get this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: That was what was really hard for me is going there's just there's it's not like you don't know.
Speaker 2: It's not like you guys can't do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you figured it out already.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you figure And I agree. I could not agree with you more. Kyle Massey's song at the end worked perfectly.
Speaker 2: Oh, I loved it and it was great. Yes, because I kept going, why haven't they is Kyle once? So far?
Speaker 3: I mean, if there is a song that I didn't catch, sorry, but I didn't think there was any songs that were Kyle until the very end credit.
Speaker 2: And we have one of.
Speaker 3: Our producers saying I had to mute the TV at one point because the song was annoying me so bad.
Speaker 1: It's bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: It was weird.
Speaker 3: It was weird that it was because Disney knows how to do this.
Speaker 2: So anyway, that's my tangent of that.
Speaker 4: So anyway, it is, as we were saying, it's worth pointing out that Kyle raps the closing credit song I'm a Dog, which is not the best song ever, but it is so much better than a lot of the other songs. And again it's and it's dog related and over the credits. Fine, that's a fun way to end it. Dog movie rap over the credits with your lead actor. Don't have a problem with that at all. It's the eleventeen before that, or it was like, oh well anyway, it was very distracting. Also worth noting before we recap in our past rewatches who had been the stupidest.
Speaker 1: Parent or parents we've ever encountered.
Speaker 4: Maybe luck of the Irish, but they were more just like you're Irish and I don't know, we've had some kind of dumb parents motocrossed.
Speaker 1: He wasn't dumb, he was just in his asshole.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, yeah, woof.
Speaker 1: Point they were supposed to get dumb.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but let's keep that in mind the rankings as we get further into this.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, Quint's was there.
Speaker 1: I mean they were overwhelmed so but yeah, they were kind of dumb. But yeah, this is okay. This just keep that in mind. So it's time to get off the leash and into life is rough.
Speaker 4: The movie opens up with a close up on a free puppies sign. It's written on a box outside of a market. The box is filled with an impossible number of puppies, like the way clowns fit into cars, and that's how many dogs are in the small box.
Speaker 1: Now, we talked about this in the beginning. Have you ever seen a free puppy box? Because I haven't.
Speaker 2: No, No, I've seen free so do not kittens. Maybe a parent would say yes as quick as these parents did.
Speaker 4: But do you mean the forty two kids and parents are like, sure, grab a puppy on the way out of the grocery store.
Speaker 2: No, that's not how that works at all, Not in the.
Speaker 4: World, not in any world does that work where there's just fourteen parents walking by going yeah, sure, billy.
Speaker 1: Grab it.
Speaker 4: You heard one voice over literally as the kids walking away, you heard the parent go, well, you.
Speaker 1: Know you're gonna have to take care of them, right, That was it, And it was like, okay, oh wow, I don't know. Also, why the supermarket wouldn't intervene.
Speaker 4: We're supposed to think someone in the store just left the box outside on supervised Yeah. Anyway, Yeah, the lettuce was advertised for two for a dollar.
Speaker 1: But the dog's it is what it is.
Speaker 4: One by one, the black puppies are taken from the box, with very little consideration that these strangers are actually taking home a living animal, completely unvetted. But left behind is one tan dog whimpering at its predicament. Oh so sad and told by one child, good luck, little guy. And as things couldn't get any worse, the market closes. Guy shuts off all the light, leaving the box dog in.
Speaker 1: The pouring rain.
Speaker 4: So knowing he screwed the dog out of the box and runs off into the storm. So sad, and I was also like this movie better get better quick, because so far I hate it.
Speaker 1: Why would they do that to this poor dog? How there are your people?
Speaker 4: We now cut to one year later, and the tan dog is huge and he is very dirty. He's unsuccessfully begging for scraps outside of a restaurant and dives into a dumpster looking for anything. He finally discovers a large rib bone and offers it to his friend, another scrappy.
Speaker 1: Looking stray, to show that he likes to share. And that's when animal control arrives.
Speaker 4: When the dog catchers attempt to wrangle our tanboy, he takes off, sending the city workers on a wild goose chase for the ages. I'd also like to point out before we get to the fact that they are going in right to a farmer's market, where all hell breaks loose.
Speaker 1: They somehow have sixty two.
Speaker 4: Members of the you know, dog catching team there instantly to catch this one dog. Yes, it was like, okay, I guess that's a big department there right at the ages. So they get into the local farmers market i've seen coming up. Really let you know what you're going to be in for as far as life is rough as concerned, That's all I have to say. So he's juking left and right and forces one dog captured a crash into a table of books something and apparently didn't really happen because when they pull out, they reveal a perfectly set up book vendor still there. The dog then tramples through some tied iy kites, knocking over a trash can and exciting an old lady sitting near it. The dog catchers dive onto fruit, crash into wind chimes, and most importantly.
Speaker 1: Plow through paint cans of honey.
Speaker 4: Creating total chaos in the streets. Do you remember the first time you ate honey out of a paint can?
Speaker 1: Can you talk about that a little bit? What was your first paint can honey experience? Like sprat?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I think it was a dream that I was witty the Boo.
Speaker 1: Oh bo. The dog snatches some hot lengths.
Speaker 4: From a cart and hides in a clothing rack, emerging in a perfect ensemble a two tu of blouse and a spinner hat, And just as everything is destroyed, the canon is finally distracted by a young girl in her large lollipop, and in the end he is peacefully caught by the dog catchers, one of the nine hundred and twenty that were on all that day. We then find ourselves where we tend to find ourselves a lot of times in Dcom's in the bedroom of our lead person. This is a young boy. In this case it's Calvin, getting ready for school. His room is decorated with comic book illustrations and ten frames for writer Stuart Bickford's gotham Man comic books, and only two spots remain empty, number one and number two. We see his parents in the kitchen. Just as Calvin's flip phone rings, his dad reminds him it is trash day.
Speaker 1: Still on a flip phone, Please send one to me. Thank you, Apple. Make a flip phone, Make a flip phone, Make a flip phone. I'm just gonna keep saying that.
Speaker 4: But Calvin hops onto his skateboard without a worry in the world, and that's because we see two of Calvin's friends wheeling in the trash cans thanking him for their mud Bucket tickets. I initially thought that we'd heard the name mud Bucket before.
Speaker 1: There was a band called mud Bucket. What am I thinking of?
Speaker 2: Fuzz?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: But there was? But what was the band? There was also a band in another movie that we saw, mud Slide Crush.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you.
Speaker 1: Producer, Lisa. I knew there was Fuzzbucket.
Speaker 2: Of course, I was like, did he just.
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 4: They made it just in time to intercept Calvin's mad dad. It appears that this kid's got everything covered in an awful lot of connections.
Speaker 1: Calvin eventually skates into the school.
Speaker 4: They're showing that he can't skateboard a little bit, and he's going to Bedford Junior High.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 4: We're back to young young kids, but at least for this part it worked. He meets up with his best friend slash assistant Fig and that's his His pal informs Calvin that he's a pop quiz. This, by the way, is Mitchell Musso, who at the time perfect age for middle school.
Speaker 1: It looked greats not a problem at all.
Speaker 2: I couldn't believe how little he looks.
Speaker 1: He was so little.
Speaker 3: I did not know him that young. I would oh man, I was just like oh baby.
Speaker 2: Made said he was a baby.
Speaker 1: He really was.
Speaker 4: So he informs Calvin that he has a pop quiz, report cards have been mailed out, and he's in need of a date for an upcoming dance, which throws us right into the cafeteria where Calvin and fig are interviewing a handful.
Speaker 1: Of possible dates at lunch. Yikes.
Speaker 4: So a cheerleader named Julie checks all the boxes and she is really pushing for Calvin to take her, but Calvin needs to know one thing from her first.
Speaker 1: Who is gotham Man's arch nemesis.
Speaker 4: She stumbles and guesses Charlie. Calvin is, of course disappointed. Another girl watches on from afar, wincing at the answer. Julie is dismissed, because we all know girls must know everything about comic books to be worth anything in life whatsoever. Why this girl was auditioning to become Calvi? Okay, yeah, The onlerker Emily walks up with flyers for her local animal shelter. Charlie takes one, but flips it over, only to use it as a note for fig about what comics he needs to pick up. This disgust Emily, who as she's says the question was a trick anyway, gotham Man's arch enemy has no name. Uh oh, a girl that knows about comic books. That's impossible, people, how could that happen?
Speaker 1: No way.
Speaker 4: We are now at the dog shelter, though, and volunteer Emily finds Tycho, the dog from the box and the huge honey paint can chase. That happened a while ago. We don't know how long this is. We figure it's right after they caught him, kind of thing. She tells the shelter manager, mister Dudley, that she just needs a little more time to find him a home. The dog is inline to be euthanized and she wants to save him. Tycho doesn't help his case, however, when he bites off a piece of Dudley's shirt. Maybe Tycho has some issues that yeah to work on. But we are now at the local comic book shop. Calvin stares through the window at the number one issue of Gotham Man. It is his dream purchase. Hey as somebody who loves this kind of stuff, having a Batman number one or Superman number one PMAs, but they're millions. Then a Bronco pulls up blasting a song that sounds just enough like into club by.
Speaker 1: Fifty cent where they can't actually get sued.
Speaker 4: The three Bigger kids This is where I started to go, Wait, mu.
Speaker 1: Huh, the three Bigger kids need to talk to Calvin.
Speaker 4: Eventually landing in one of the guys mom's beauty shops surrounded by old ladies, Calvin has told that tonight is the last game of the middle school basketball season.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I thought they were in high school.
Speaker 1: I thought they were in high school.
Speaker 2: Two are in high school.
Speaker 4: They were driving and b they looked like they were in their twenties. Yeah, so were they supposed to be part of the scenes.
Speaker 2: No, I feel like they just know him.
Speaker 3: He was like this kid that they know he has connections and can get certain things done.
Speaker 1: So the high school kids went to the middle school kid.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, that's what it was. It had to have been.
Speaker 4: It had to have been right, because it doesn't make any sense any any other words.
Speaker 3: A junior high, big scoring high like basketball game that people, No, I.
Speaker 4: Can't see that, I don't Anyway, there it turns out that the rival school to this school, Westlake, got their playbook and they need Calvin's help. We don't know why, they just need Calvin's help. Luckily, Calvin has an idea, of course, for a price. So now back at the comic book shop and little figures scared. How are they going to pull this off for the team, But don't worry, Calvin's got it covered. He wants to make a trade with someone named Simon Gimbel. The Gimps love the name Gimbs. He is Westlake's basketball team's equipment manager. They call Simon at a local pizza shop on a rainbow blinking phone hidden in a napkin dispenser and perform the handoff, trading the Westlake playbook for the shiny new cell phone, which Calvin says doesn't even come out.
Speaker 1: In the US for a year. So how does Calvin have these hookups?
Speaker 4: He's getting concert tickets, unreleased phones, y like, who is this kid?
Speaker 2: Yes? Exactly.
Speaker 3: At this point, you're just thinking, Okay, it's gonna come around. They're gonna tell.
Speaker 2: Us how he's gotten Yes, we've already at this point met his parents.
Speaker 3: It doesn't look like they would be the source of any of this, Like, he doesn't have some cool dad that's gone.
Speaker 1: Older brother or friends with the local weed dealer.
Speaker 2: Like nothing, no ups with the weed dealer.
Speaker 1: Right, material helped me in middle school. I'm kidding, of course. Now there we're at the packed big game.
Speaker 4: It's warm ups and a pompous, nerdy student named Preston Price is announced alongside his dog Jacques to inspire the teams. Preston performs throwing a frisbee and his dog recovers it. It's not super impressive, but Preston thinks that it is and that he's the one pumping up the team.
Speaker 1: So is he in middle school or is he in high school?
Speaker 3: I mean I assumed he was the same age as Calvin.
Speaker 1: So all the middle school kids are going to the high school game is what we're assuming is happened.
Speaker 2: That's where my brain was allowing me to get.
Speaker 4: Okay, then I will I would love to be with your brain, because I was like what.
Speaker 2: However, there was question marks?
Speaker 3: Question mark, question mark, question mark, question mark everywhere at this point I'm already starting to get tired.
Speaker 2: It's been ten minutes, and I'm not sure what we're.
Speaker 3: Gonna do because my brain is in overload of trying to figure out these questions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so you and I are in the same boat again. This one was rough.
Speaker 4: Okay, so hilariously, the girl that Calvin and fig interviewed to via his dance state, the girl who said she was the head cheerleader, is now just sitting in the stands watching the other cheerleaders. So that's either a movie mistake she lied on her resume, or she's in middle school and it's the middle school.
Speaker 1: Let's just say they're the middle schoolers are going with the high school kids. I like that idea. I don't think they explained it, but I like that idea. So the team is, of course concerned. Where is Calvin with the playbook?
Speaker 4: The game starts in like minutes, and just in time, Calvin skates in folder in hand. He's got the team the other team's playbooks, and now everyone is cheating, and that is apparently great. The team gives Calvin Gotha Man Issue number two to complete the trade. The basketball team runs out on the court, not even hiding or reading the rival team's book for anything.
Speaker 2: Even if they could read it, how do you implement that? Everyone got it? We're good. Here we go five to sixty seven.
Speaker 1: Eight, let's go.
Speaker 4: Okay, so you have all seven hundred of their plays memorized, right, let's go. They're clearly running. Johnson left, like, how would you know any of this?
Speaker 3: None of it, None of it you have to I mean teams hours and hours of films.
Speaker 2: Like this is just ridiculous.
Speaker 1: None of it ridiculous.
Speaker 3: But we're watching a Disney movie. Oh yah, fine, keeping it, pushing, got it.
Speaker 4: We're trying so they do win while a very bad rap song it's a rap rock song plays for the montage at the trophy celebration, the team thanks someone they couldn't have done it without. Prescott, of course, thinks it's going to be him and his dog Jack, but it's Calvin. Back at home, Calvin returns to an angry mom and dad, report card in hand. He is barely passing every class, and just because he gets other people to do his chores, that does not mean he's getting anything done around the house. They want him to stop taking shortcuts. We're now back in his room, he hangs this new Gotham Man issue boom. He only has one left now he just needs number one. At school the next day, a hyperventilating fig runs in and inforbs Calvin that he has to get to the comic book shop asap. When they do arrive, they see the Holy Grail. They actually have the Gotha Man number one. They're on display. There's only eight known copies in existence, and it's available for three thousand dollars, which, frankly, if there's only eight in existence, it should be worth.
Speaker 1: Thirty thousand dollars. But I wasn't eve gonna get into that the nerd and me was.
Speaker 2: Like, let it go will.
Speaker 4: Sadly, Calvin has less than one hundred and fifty dollars to his name, but nothing is impossible to Calvin, which is an on running kind of thing he does. Then we're at Prescott's big old mansion. Some movers are delivering a water fountain when Jacques barks at and bites a passing Calvin, knocking him off his skateboard. Calvin is, of course furious and should be and should sue, and Prescott reveals that Jacques one royal hound dog Foods Top Dog Invitational two years in a row. Calvin doesn't give a flying whoop.
Speaker 1: That's where he says, I love that I don't give a flying whoop. I'm gonna start saying that all the time.
Speaker 4: He did, of course, pitch and nutty, but he didn't give a flying whoop until he hears that first prize is five thousand dollars. What Calvin leaves very interested. We are now back at the library. Fig checks out the dog show rules. To qualify for the Top Dog Invitational, the dog has to place first in at least one regular season Top Dog event and do a ninety second routine.
Speaker 1: Calvin thinks this is easy money, but Fig reminds him of one very important thing. He's missing. A dog. A dog, and so they visit a pet store once again.
Speaker 4: We see beautiful dogs in tiny little cages for eight hundred and fifty dollars. But they realize that purebreads are very expensive, but shelter dogs or free. But shelter dogs are free, or they could just look for one of those free puppy boxes which seem to be in front of all the.
Speaker 1: Markets in their town.
Speaker 4: So Calvin visits Emily's shelter to adopt his new meal ticket. Emily knows Calvin thinks animals are dirty, and she reads right through him. This was also an interesting little bit that she remembers a bunch of the stuff he said back in the day, which shows that she probably has a crush on him because she remembers the stuff he said. But Calvin says he wants to turn over a new leaf, so Emily offers him the only dog available, her beloved Tycho, and despite also ripping his shirt off and knocking him down, Tyko's got a problem with shirts, Calvin adopts him with just one rule from Emily, don't buy Royal hound dog food. Their dog shows exploit animals, which obviously creates a problem. One last requirement too, Calvin needs a parent or guardian signature, So Calvin tricks his mom into signing the papers by just placing it under his report card and asking for two signatures. This is where the dumb parent thing takes off, where it's like, how does she not notice she's signing two papers? I guess it was kind of like, Okay, he's tried to make it look like it was the report card.
Speaker 1: Then something underneath like you just need to sign this and you need to sign that. Yeah, but I.
Speaker 3: Mean, yeah, I don't know. I feel like this is something you see in movies, kind of a little lost.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're just throwing it out. We're now fifteen or twenty minutes in the movie, a half hour in the movie. How many times had you paused and walked out of the room by I'm just curious.
Speaker 3: Not too many times at this point, but there are just so many questions, wait, what, like, what's going on?
Speaker 2: Do it? Okay? Yeah, you know it's one of the if this was one of those movies. Okay, right, okay, let go?
Speaker 1: It was like, let go and hope it doesn't get any rougher.
Speaker 4: Now, with Calvin as the rightful owner of Tycho, Emily reveals she will be visiting his house in ten days as a check in, even though a few years ago he could have just gotten the exact same dog from a sidewalk box. Calvin, already hoping for some dog perks, sets up Tycho to pull him on his skateboard, but when the pucci's another dog, he takes off at full speed, pulling Calvin with him while flailing everywhere. We hear another terrible song called we Having Fun? Did you notice this one?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna ask you every time because it's their Uh.
Speaker 2: No, this one I did not notice.
Speaker 4: Eventually, Tycho pulls Kyle Massey's very obvious stunt double right.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's what I was more focused on. He focused on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, it was clearly not him. Yeah.
Speaker 4: A soaked Calvin asks, by the way, not only soaked, but freezing, as if he had fallen through ice.
Speaker 1: He was so cold.
Speaker 4: A soaked Calvin asked Fig to house Tycho for a couple of weeks because he can't hide him from his parents, But there is a seven pound maximum weight limit at FIG's apartment complex, so this leaves Tycho to live in Calvin's bedroom, immediately barking, eating his things, and keeping him up all night with a loud snore. The next morning, of course, he has exhausted. His parents think that he was the one snoring all night, and his mom thinks that Calvin also smells bad. Later, Fig and Calvin realize there's only one regular season dog competition left, and it involves a series of ramps, tunnels, and a water hazard. Prescott and Jock run into the boys, setting up a new rivalry. Just one came in and leading us to a scene where Tycho runs away, leaving Prescott, Calvin, and Fig face down in the mud. While Calvin and Fig are washing Tycho off in the driveway, Calvin's mom unexpectedly arrives, which this becomes a thing.
Speaker 1: She just keeps randomly showing up.
Speaker 4: So to hide the dog, the boys jump into their above ground pool and basically drowned Tycho to hide him. She falls forward, of course, because again she.
Speaker 1: Doesn't appear to be the smartest character Reva, and.
Speaker 4: She's like a nurse, but they have it's it's yeah, it's so strange.
Speaker 2: She's tired. That's why she's tired, exactly.
Speaker 1: That's what we're gonna say. She's You're right, she is tired. She's exhausted.
Speaker 4: The next morning, Calvin leaves Tycho behind and go to school, somehow still keeping a secret from his incredibly stupid working parents. We get another absolutely insane song about being a dog.
Speaker 1: Did you notice this one?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: We now left alone, Tycho ransacks the house for food and water, breaking plates, emptying the fridge, and covering the floor in trash.
Speaker 1: This is a nightmare.
Speaker 4: Calva returns expecting to see Tycho in exactly the same spot that he left him, because that's.
Speaker 2: Like, no, I did. The dog seemed very well trained. Having him do all the things that he did was pretty cool.
Speaker 1: I did that was agreed.
Speaker 2: I love seeing dogs do so many things.
Speaker 4: Our dog this year is it's so cool. We taught her this cool trick where she's actually doing our taxes.
Speaker 1: And I just thought that was really neat. Yeah, State and federal. I thought that was kind of cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Emily, Emily just barks at the the They.
Speaker 1: All have different levels.
Speaker 2: She does it really really well though.
Speaker 1: That's good, Well, that's great.
Speaker 2: Soon as they pop the break, she's barking.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: Instead of seeing the dog where he left him nine hours ago, he sees the entire crime scene just as his parents walk in.
Speaker 1: They do arrive unexpectedly quite a bit. All the time, Calvin all.
Speaker 2: The time, what their schedule is.
Speaker 4: No, and they don't either, apparently. Calvin quickly covers Tycho with a blanket on the couch and acts casual. Keep in mind, the dog at the at this time is moving the whole time under the blanket.
Speaker 1: He's not attempting a second dog.
Speaker 3: It smells like a dog it's marching like a dog. My god, Mom and dad, you're yes, as a freaking dog, and.
Speaker 1: A huge one at that. He's gotta be one hundred pound dog.
Speaker 4: His dad attempts to walk up and hug Calvin, but Calvin jumps up inches from a very large dog under the blanket and starts saying stay loudly, hoping you'll keep Tycho in place. He says he had friends over and takes all the blame for the mess, all the while a standing dog.
Speaker 1: Is under the blanket right in front of them.
Speaker 4: They say they know he's hiding something, Hey, okay, but they're happy he's taken responsibility and is cleaning everything up, so they just walk away. These are I'm sorry, but yeah, the poorly written, dumb.
Speaker 1: Decomparents this is not I mean.
Speaker 4: Make it to where he's in the bedroom and he's you know, every time there's a bark, he's trying to call I mean something where they're not staring at one hundred pound dog andt that's moving all.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, it's just it's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Ridiculous, riddiculous.
Speaker 4: Later in his room, Tycho has eating Calvin's homework and sneakers and his mom wants to know who he's yelling at.
Speaker 1: He says it's his meditations, and yes, of course she believes him again.
Speaker 4: So the next morning, Calvin he's had enough after school, Tycho's going back to the pound.
Speaker 1: He doesn't care about the dog show anymore. You know.
Speaker 4: Okay, now we're going to start a real trend that we're gonna call remember this, and I'm.
Speaker 1: Gonna say it like that. They're just things that happen throughout the movie.
Speaker 4: The two boys from earlier, the guys who were thankful for the concert tickets and taking out the trash, they show up. Preston has paid them to beat Calvin up. It's just business. Calvin says, he's already dropping out of the dog show. But the bullys have been paid and they have to do their job. By the way, they don't pay them, didn't obviously pay them enough, because they say it's Preston. They're like they gave they gave them up, Like, yeah, Preston paid us to kick your ass, and it's like, wow, that's incredible. But the bullies have been paid and they have to do their job. And just as they're about to punch Calvin, Tycho burst through the fence attached to an entire tree that he's pulled out of the ground and knocks out the thugs. So Tycho also has super strength, I guess, because it's like it's not a small it's like literally a full sized tree with roots that they have him the.
Speaker 2: Little bit Turner and Hooch and Beethoven.
Speaker 3: These just crazy dogs that can just bust through everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's never addressed again.
Speaker 4: No, Calvin somehow immediately rebuilds and replaces the fence. He also paints it so his parents, of course, are very much impressed. Again, they don't question anything that's going on. That night, Calvin seems to be a little more comfortable Tycho, and he calls Emily consider starting to bond a little bit, and he calls Emily to start some training at the park, which they do in another bontage.
Speaker 1: With another very bad song. I don't know gonna ask if you remember it.
Speaker 4: They all start to blend at this point that leads us to lunch, where Calvin is still shocked. Anyone with a vagina would know gotham Man's arch enemy because girls comic books come on. After the training session, when he and fig get back to Calvin's place. They see, okay, get this his.
Speaker 1: Mom's home early again.
Speaker 2: What I know, I know.
Speaker 4: And just when you think this woman, this poor woman, this actress who was very good in the movie, but the character couldn't get any stupider, she cuts them off of the back door, saying there's a bear in the house. She's barricaded in his room and called nine one one, so he quickly admits, no, it's Tycho, it's my dog. She thought it was a bear that night, his dad convinces his mom that the dog would be good for Calvin because love doesn't have any shortcuts.
Speaker 1: Very sweet, so he can stay. But no TV and no cell.
Speaker 4: Phone for tricking his mom into signing the adoption papers. At least there are some ramification for.
Speaker 2: Two months now, I was not.
Speaker 3: A kid that got ground like I didn't. Yes, I didn't get grounded. I think maybe a week or I was unable to go to like a birthday party or something like that. But doesn't two months without a cell phone or it seemed like a really extreme amount of time, and I would assume that your kids would start driving you crazy not having certain things like that for or TV long.
Speaker 1: No TV, if they're not.
Speaker 2: If they're not watching TV, what are they doing, They're gonna be bothering.
Speaker 1: You, annoying you, exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: It seemed so long to me.
Speaker 1: It was so strange.
Speaker 4: But anyway, speaking of strange, we're into another montage focusing on Calvin and Tycho finding their group together, and this song is okay, well, let's just here's how this song starts.
Speaker 1: There we go good night.
Speaker 2: Everybody, thank you, have a good one.
Speaker 4: Now we're here at the final regular season dog competition where the winner enters the five thousand dollars finals, and for some reason that we never really figured out, it's televised, and there's a huge crowd that's there cheering on Preston and Jock.
Speaker 1: For the reason one you have to.
Speaker 4: Get into the regionals, yes, to get into the other one. So he's already going to be competing in the final, Jacque and Preston, but they're there. The boys luckily dodge Emily, who's there picketing the dog show. Now we're inside the arena. Calvin tries to sign in Tycho, but the little past Prescott reminds officials that new dogs have to pass a hygiene test from a judge, and we get another bad song it might be the worst one yet, where it sounds like a chipmunk is singing about the baddest dog.
Speaker 3: I can't even I'm not going out, it's crazy.
Speaker 4: It was one whatever the opposite of a banger is after another, Calvin reminds Fig that you should always by the way, we know at this point that we are reviewing d coms.
Speaker 1: We know they're for kids, we get it.
Speaker 4: But we've also with all the d coms we've been watching, can now say without any shadow of a doubt, some of them.
Speaker 1: Are great, yes, and some of them aren't.
Speaker 2: And regardless, Disney knows music.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, whether it's been a great movie or not, the soundtrack is usually sometimes the saving grace.
Speaker 1: It saves the whole thing. Ye, a great times.
Speaker 3: So or even things that don't make sense, the music's good and you're like, okay, it's cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So all the people out there that are like, they don't realize they're watching a kids show.
Speaker 1: It's supposed to be for kids. No, no, no, no, no, don't disrespect kids like that because kids know bad too. Yes, and this was just not a great version of a d coom.
Speaker 2: Kids do no good music.
Speaker 1: They do. They do.
Speaker 4: Calvin reminds fig that you should always expect the impossible, and he call the basketball team so remember them, and he convinces the entire squad of either the oldest middle school kids or high school kids to come down with the beauty parlor owning mom to groom and motivate Tycho together and he does look adorable by the time they actually yesh him up.
Speaker 3: I loved his little speech to the dog, like you got this and the dog.
Speaker 1: You got that. He's like, you got this, you got this, Yes, you got this. Yeah, so cute, And that was cute because they were like He's like, I'm competitive, so we're If we're in this, we're in it to win. Great.
Speaker 4: Right off the bat, it is Preston versus Calvin with their dogs, and Jacques is masterful on the course where Tycho knocks down almost every single obstacle, eventually puncturing the doggie pool and flooding the field. But somehow this distraction allows Tycho to take the lead. What the are they judging this song?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I was not sure that it was I didn't realize it was a race.
Speaker 1: I I it Why not just run to the end. Then why not skip all the obstacles and just run to the end?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I know none of that made.
Speaker 4: Any sense, So we don't know how it's judged. It's just whoever finished first. It doesn't matter how you get there. So now, stuck in a tunnel and crashing through a large pyramid of dog food, Tycho crosses the finish line first. The judges, they add up the penalties, and not only does Calvin win, but it's a new course record, right even though she says he missed every single at this point, I was like, I gotta pause this and walk away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he missed every single obstacle.
Speaker 3: Jacques actually finished several of them. So they said, you know, with the deductions, it's basically saying that missing those obstacles was a deduction from the time that they got Okay, all right, fine, I think there's a lot of flaws in that idea. If I was somebody in the race, I would be freaking pissed.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: However, then it's like, but what deductions is Jock obviously ended up not getting got some deductions, but he completed flawlessly the beginning portion. First, you look at any points and any extra points for that. It was very It was probably the.
Speaker 2: Worst competition I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: I would have I don't.
Speaker 2: I am such a competitive person.
Speaker 3: I need the rules, I need the percentages of penalties.
Speaker 2: And this made no bonkers. This was absolutely dog bonkers.
Speaker 4: Yep, it made no sense. I don't understand what was going on. Uh yeah, but we're now back at school.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Emily asked Fig why he follows Calvin around like a servant. By the way, I need to give a specific shout out here to Ka Panabaker.
Speaker 1: She is a very good actress.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I mean so good.
Speaker 4: She is so grounded in reality in every scene she does. She is a very good actress. She really is, and I think that needs to be said.
Speaker 3: I loved this scene between her and she had several where she's just it doesn't matter whatever irritates you before the scene before, when she gets on screen, you're like, Okay, we're zoned back in, we are back down, We're good to go.
Speaker 2: Take it away.
Speaker 1: She is a very good character, she really is.
Speaker 4: But they She asked Fig why he follows Calvin around like a servant, A question I assume many of you had during the film. And he says when he was new to the school, he had an asthma attack and Calvin was the only one to help him by getting a janitor who had an an inhaler.
Speaker 1: Then he visited him in the hospital. So Calvin apparently has a heart of gold. Very sweet.
Speaker 4: Emily, who is now intrigued, shows up to Calvin's as promised for the adoption check in with Tycho, but it seems more like a pizza date as they play video games in debate comic books. Again, very sweet scene and the two definitely have chemistry, and right before she leaves, Calvin asks her to the spring dance and she accepts. We have a budding romance here by what just Then on the television he gets TV blocked. We get a news report about this. That's what happens, my friend, he does.
Speaker 1: I'm coining that, by the way, Yes.
Speaker 2: He does.
Speaker 4: So we get a news report about the Top Dog Royal Hound Finals and it exposes Calvin and Tycho as finalists.
Speaker 1: Emily says she should have known. She is furious that Calvin was just in it for the money.
Speaker 4: He tries to explain that he really does love Tycho now which we've seen and Emily says, prove it, drop out of the competition. He's contemplating his options just as fig pulls up once again, wildly frantic. This kid is running around all over the place, too much for somebody with a.
Speaker 2: Lot of anxiety, a lot of anxiety.
Speaker 4: He found a lost dog flyer and the picture looks just like tycho. Okay, not to bring the mood down, but have you ever lost a pet like where you needed to like put it on the board?
Speaker 1: Hey, help me find this.
Speaker 2: Yes, we talked about we talked about this.
Speaker 3: Did ye ran away the day we got him, that's right?
Speaker 2: But then he came back named him.
Speaker 1: It because he was escaping.
Speaker 2: So I got kind of I kind of got neutraled out.
Speaker 3: And then recently my mom was home and Emily is a little bit of a sprinter and my mom cannot run after her.
Speaker 2: She ran out. We was like, you know, thank god.
Speaker 1: I know Gary though teeny and.
Speaker 2: Like we there's coyotes everywhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if we get her by the end of the day, we probably luckily someone picked her up.
Speaker 4: Sue and I we walk our dog every day and when we go up around this one specific street, they have a box up in their front house with a big, big picture of a turtle and they've lost the turtle. So Sue and I have been on turtle patrol for like a year trying to find this turtle because we figure even in a year, he's probably only gone a block.
Speaker 1: So we're still we're still trying to find this turtle.
Speaker 2: We'll find it.
Speaker 1: But at the same time, turtle, actually it's missed tea.
Speaker 2: Is it okay?
Speaker 1: And it's like but at the same time, we're like, what if mister T left of his own accord?
Speaker 4: What if he's like, I'm out, I can't do this, I gotta see the world and I gotta go do my thing.
Speaker 3: Host my in laws had a turtle come into their backyard once.
Speaker 2: Sit in my little one, A little one might be mister T A long way.
Speaker 4: Please ask this if you see him again, it can happen. But ask this turtle if you see him again, if he pities the fool, And that's how we'll know if it's mister T or not.
Speaker 2: Perfect.
Speaker 1: That was a great eighties reference. By the way, you probably didn't get.
Speaker 2: It, mister T. Are you kidding?
Speaker 1: But you get I pity the fool? Yeah, okay, okay, okay, good. Just make sure I won't even ask you what show it's.
Speaker 2: From the Mister t Show.
Speaker 1: We were so close, so close.
Speaker 2: Why couldn't you have just taken that.
Speaker 1: I knew the win win, I won.
Speaker 3: I won for this episode, I won, and you just had to do that will.
Speaker 1: It was the eighteen, by the way. So Calvin instructs Fig to take down every sign in town. He isn't losing Tycho. Fig is disturbed by this. Of course, if Tycho has a real family, he.
Speaker 4: Should be returned, but Calvin doesn't agree, and so as a result, Fig finally stands up for himself. He will not tear down the flyers just because Calvin told him to. He calls Calvin selfish and he walks out. Later, a very sad Calvin shows his parents the flyer. He wants to keep Tycho. He's now really quote unquote more than anything, he's really fallen in love with the dog. But his dad knows he will do the right thing, and Calvin knows that too, and so we cut to Calvin walking Tycho to his quote unquote real home. The door opens to a somewhat smarmy guy and his attractive, high pitched wife who calls the dog Chester. Tyko doesn't want to leave Calvin's side. Something's up here, people, even I felt it. Calvin rejects the reward and Tycho or Chester tries to follow him home, but they say goodbye and the young boy is crushed.
Speaker 1: I think Tycho's crushed. Two.
Speaker 4: The next day, a defeated Calvin sits on his lawn. Fig is proud of him for returning the dog, so much so Fig runs to the shelter to tell Emily about Calvin's selfish act, like a very good little wingman. And when Emily sees the flyer, she recognizes the photo. Wait a second, She's like, I took this picture. Why would the family use her photo? Something isn't right here with this real family quote unquote. And now Emily, Fig and Calvin know that this was Preston's doing. This kid turned out to be freaking diabolical.
Speaker 1: And again, in a real do.
Speaker 4: You remember that guy moment, Calvin realizes the dude who answered the door for the dog was the man at the beginning of the movie who was moving Preston's water fountain. It's real, Kaiser, SoSE moment in life is rough here and also quite a stretch.
Speaker 1: So now they have to go and get Tycho.
Speaker 4: Back at the water Fountain guy's house, they spot the dog in the basement, so Fig, with a Gotham man's storyline and his inspiration, knocks on the front door to distract the fake owners with magazine subscription offers. Meanwhile, Calvin enters the house to get Tycho and to buy some more time.
Speaker 1: Fig pretends to have a massive attack. Once the dog is clear, he springs up. He has been magically healed.
Speaker 4: Now at the dog, back at Calvin's. That was it, By the way, no repercussions know anything. They walk in, they get the dog, they walk out that.
Speaker 2: Very very fast.
Speaker 3: Literally all that hill little heart attack thing or very cute attack thing.
Speaker 1: Was very The whole thing was very cute, very funny. Again all the actors, No problem with the actors. They're all great. Kyle Mitchell, Kay all great. Just the material could have used the polish. Yeah, now we are back at Calvin's.
Speaker 4: Emily wonders when the top dog competition is but they're already eight minutes late. But even though the dog food company is evil, Emily thinks Tycho has to compete just to beat the devilish Preston. The whole family hops in the minivan to go for the win. We are now at the finals. The theme is around the World in eighty dogs, Thank you very Much, with a fake little Eiffel Tower, pyramid and Mount Rushmore, but still no Calvin insight. Prescott and Jacques have taken to the course. They are very impressive with a flawless routine, almost scoring ninety eight.
Speaker 1: Out of one hundred, and now Calvin and Tycho are announced, but they still haven't arrived. As Prescott begins to gloat, the minivan pulls up for the final call. Just arriving at the buzzer, a skateboarding Calvin is being pulled by Tycho as the end of the event, with pyrotechnics going off everywhere and Kyle Massey's stunt double pulling off some very big jumps.
Speaker 4: The routine begins with again more just terrible music. But now Tycho races through the course, ignoring most of the obstacles but pulling Calvin on the board, completing tricks that would make Tony Hawk jealous, even gliding on water, which has not been perfected since one guy like two thousand years ago. It is an impressive skating session, but the dog hasn't done anything.
Speaker 3: No, nope, nothing, But you know what I'm I'm I'm in because one it finally makes it make sense why they've pushed this skateboarding.
Speaker 2: Thing with Kyle this whole movie.
Speaker 3: Right, So, okay, we've get a little bit, it's got a little bit more energy.
Speaker 2: But again we've.
Speaker 3: Already talked about the ridiculousness of this competition regionals.
Speaker 2: This doesn't shock me.
Speaker 1: By this point, I was dead inside anything.
Speaker 3: It doesn't really shock me because it's like, I'm just excited that we're getting to see some energy here with the scale cuting. I think the skateboarding and the stunts, and I love the mount Puff push more.
Speaker 2: Whatever that was.
Speaker 3: I loved all the like creative things as the as the the back and forth announcers are going, I'm like, I'm okay, we're in it.
Speaker 1: All right, I was, what the hell the dog's not doing anything? But yes, So Preston is getting nervous.
Speaker 4: He sneaks off to find a mallet to start secretly breaking apart the final ramp from the inside.
Speaker 3: And now we're dark again, and we're now we're gonna have a mass murder situation.
Speaker 1: Apparently just kidnapping the dog wasn't enough. Now he hopes to kill his friend, So Calvin, can you perform his final trick ends up demolishing that ramp and literally flying fifty feet in the air, flying like Peter Pan right into the table. He does.
Speaker 4: The officials figure out somehow, which we never understand, that Preston sabotage Tycho, so they give Calvin a ninety nine, making sure he's the new champion.
Speaker 1: Again the dog did absolutely nothing. Congrats, Tycho boo.
Speaker 4: Preston outside now grouped into the reporters because again this is a big deal. Emily asked Calvin if he knows what he plans to do with the prize money, and he confidently says yes. We are now transported to the newly constructed Stuart Bickford Animal Shelter. Remember that name from earlier in the movie. This is another remember that remember that name. It's the creator of Gotham Man. He named the shelter after that random writer who was mentioned once and once only. Calvin has applauded for his donation, and he passed on buying gotham Man number one and inside the day's adoption fair, Fig cozies up to a socially troubled dog just under the weight requirement for his apartment complex. Remember that too was a thing. Fig is now ready for the next year's dog competition.
Speaker 1: We have a new challenger.
Speaker 4: As Calvin pitches a tag team or even management for his new dog.
Speaker 1: We zoom in on Tycho's face and that is your movie. And then we get Kyle's rap song, which works.
Speaker 4: If this was the only weird dog song, yeah to the whole movie, it would have been great.
Speaker 1: It's like the rap song they do at the end of Holes with the whole cast. It works great, And so they do that over the credits, and that is life is Rough. We are done, Sabrina. We are done with Life is Rough until we get into life is Rough too.
Speaker 2: This time is personally yes, we're not doing it.
Speaker 1: Well, let's get into real reviews that we are doing, Sabrina. And you have the one star review this week. What do we got?
Speaker 3: This is from Adorable Pizza Love the name already just came back from Italy ready for more.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is one of.
Speaker 3: The most annoying movies in my life. The message is okay, but everything else I hated, especially The Dog Show. If this movie deserves any kind of prize is to go to the Dog There.
Speaker 1: You go, Okay, well, hey, it's like I can't complain with that. It's just what it is.
Speaker 4: I have the five star. It's from Supersonic nine. Life Is Rough was a cute movie about growing up. I actually went to the school where it was filmed, Wassatch Junior High. I thought the weirdest part of the whole experience was at the week the film premiered on Disney Channel, the school burned down due to an electrical fire started in the library. It was really cool because the last time I was able to see the inside of my school was in that movie. Calvin learned the same lessons we learned that summer when our school disappeared.
Speaker 1: Five stars. Okay, there's a lot going on there. Okay, there's a lot going.
Speaker 2: On that that Okay.
Speaker 1: Awful that you've lost that you get to see it. But five Stars.
Speaker 4: We're gonna come to our favorite part of the podcast right now, Sabrina's favorite part. And I snuck ahead and looked at what this actually is.
Speaker 3: For the record, already have such an advantage of me no with this With these, I'm.
Speaker 1: Telling you now you're cheating.
Speaker 4: No, there's no cheating. I did not look for any answers. I just looked at read what the game was, and I can tell you we are both gonna suck this week. This is a game called this is rough Alow in honor of this week's d com and the celebrated career of actor Mark Ruffalo, oh producer Jensen.
Speaker 1: I want to know where he comes up with these.
Speaker 4: I will read a film synopsis, but all the characters have been replaced with dogs. With this change in mind, we have to name what Mark Ruffalo movie is being described now with dogs as the star. We need to get three out of five correct. We should just go to say.
Speaker 1: We're not gonna do that right now. I'm not sure with the breakdowns in front of me, I could think of five Mark Ruffalo.
Speaker 4: Movies, even if they and Mark Ruffle is awesome anyway.
Speaker 1: Number One.
Speaker 4: In this heartwarming tale, a determined golden retriever named Max embarks on a quest to uncover the truth behind his family's disappearance. Along the way, he forms an unlikely bond with a street smart beagle and a wise, old cracking German shepherd.
Speaker 1: I don't even have.
Speaker 2: A guess, dark Water, he's disappearance of his whole family.
Speaker 1: I don't know what this is. I don't have no idea. Okay, it's just spotlight, spotlight, Okay, all right, there we go, oh for one.
Speaker 4: Number two, a courageous labrador named Rex transforms into a massive furry beast when Never gets too excited. He joins a team of heroin canines, including a strong willed poodle and the star spangled collar and brilliant Maltese with high tech gadgets.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, I got one.
Speaker 2: Okay, is it Transformers?
Speaker 1: Well know?
Speaker 2: Is it the Hulk?
Speaker 1: Yes, it's the Hulk season this has got to be the Avengers. Yeoh okay, hey we got one. We're one and one.
Speaker 2: We are again.
Speaker 4: Number three. Bella, a young cocker Spaniel, wishes to skip all the awkward puppy stages and magically wake up as a glamorous adult dog, now living her dream with a fancy doghouse and pampered lifestyle. Bella soon realizes that growing up isn't all belly rubs and chew toys. I got this one, No, no, this, this has got to be thirteen going on thirty.
Speaker 2: Oh oh yeah, Gardener, Yeah, that's cute. Okay, now, how nice is it?
Speaker 1: Gens is the producer? Gents is not here. You're getting encouragement from the other producers. You've got this, Sabrina, thank you, Mikayla, thank you.
Speaker 2: It's rough in here with these guys. They are bullies, all right.
Speaker 1: Number four.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say that Freaky Friday movie, but that didn't make sense.
Speaker 1: Mark Ruffalo is not in Freaky Friday, is he? No? But no, what I was gonna forget? Number four are Charlie.
Speaker 4: A focused bloodhound becomes obsessed with solving a string of mystery mysterious dog park disappearances. Teaming up with a no nonsense bulldog detective and clever frenchie journalist, he sniffs out clues and hunts for the elusive culprit.
Speaker 1: I don't know another Mark Ruffalo movie. No, what is it? It's Zodiac? Oh okay, a feel good movie.
Speaker 4: Number five and this is not so Now we're two and two, so we need to get this one in order to win Number five. Jasper, a clever loasa apso leads a pack of trickster dogs pulling off daring heist leaving everyone baffled by their disappearing act. A massive detective tries to capture them, but Jasper and his posse you are always one ahead. Oh oh, this is the magic one, the magic one, oh with the guy from the thing. They're all on stage. It's not like yes, digitation, Yes.
Speaker 2: You guys got it right now.
Speaker 1: You see me? Now you see me there.
Speaker 2: I said you didn't hear me say that. Now you see me. I definitely said that.
Speaker 1: I've heard.
Speaker 2: I'm taking that win.
Speaker 1: I gotta be honest.
Speaker 4: It's a win for all of us. Every time Jensen isn't here, we love you Jensen. Okay, And uh, you said that maybe you didn't want to do Sabrina sees this week.
Speaker 1: What's what's the plan here?
Speaker 2: Well, I'll give you what I got. It's not great.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna lie, but I was the first thing is And now that we did the the reviews of this Junior High, we know we've seen the this Junior High before.
Speaker 2: Did it not look like the fuzz Bucket Junior High.
Speaker 1: It did look like the Fuzzbucket Junior High. It didn't high.
Speaker 3: Now I gotta know if it is the same, the same Junior high as what they filmed fuzz Bucket.
Speaker 1: In Maybe, but I remember Fuzzy bud Bucket.
Speaker 2: I don't remember fuzz Bucket filming in Utah.
Speaker 4: No, I don't even know it was in La. Remember we talked. We talked to her about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she said.
Speaker 3: So much like it. I was like, oh my gosh, that would be crazy. The other thing was, and we didn't say it, but just one of the ridiculous things that kind of happened in this movie that was just kind of I don't know if it was supposed to be funny or what, but when the dog rips Kyle's shirt, he ends up stapling it back together and they do an actual show of like an oversh of it, which I thought was just so strange. And then of course all the all the parents stuff, and then the last one was.
Speaker 2: Bow what is it? Bow? Wow for now? Bow for now? Now? That was their like slogan.
Speaker 1: Is that how they say?
Speaker 3: Ah?
Speaker 1: Gotcha sweet? Okay?
Speaker 4: Well, now we gotta we gotta rate the movie. We got you gotta rate it, Sabrina, I will not make you go first. And our options this week are one out of ten free puppy boxes, one out of ten women who physically can't read comic books but lie about it. One out of ten paint buckets of honey, one out of ten terrible soundtracks, one at a ten very very dumb parents. One out of ten girls lying about being a cheerleader, one out of ten things you'll definitely remember from the beginning of the movie. One out of ten Kyle Massy stunt doubles, or one out of ten oh, burned down junior High.
Speaker 2: Oh geez, those are hard.
Speaker 1: I think we should do one out of ten terrible soundtracks. Okay, and why don't you go first, Sabrina?
Speaker 2: Damn it, Yes, this is hard for me.
Speaker 3: I again, absolutely adore and love Kyle and Mitchell.
Speaker 2: Not their fault, not this is not their fault.
Speaker 1: It is not that.
Speaker 3: And you can tell and knowing now that what we do know that it's in two thousand and five.
Speaker 2: This was at the beginning.
Speaker 3: Portions of their time on the Channel as well. So I think if this grip had come to them later on in their career on the Channel, they might have passed on it. Oh.
Speaker 4: I think they would have, because they were both working for the comedy exactly.
Speaker 3: And I think this is something that they again they were you know, neither one were the big major leads in their shows, so this was their time to really have their own moment. So I get where this is going. But this was really hard because I just this, This movie just.
Speaker 2: Didn't do it for me.
Speaker 3: And then again, rightfully, so what we're going to rate it as this soundtrack was my least favorite we've ever heard.
Speaker 1: Yes, agreed, hard, I know we can, Like Kim Hey, anybody who's seen the work that these three actors with Kay as well, have done before knows that this was not their fault.
Speaker 4: They were three very talented child actors that were very funny.
Speaker 1: I mean, again, you're talking about Kay Panabaker's.
Speaker 4: Been a bunch of stuff, the first spinoff ever given to Kyle Massei, I mean Mitchell, the incredible musician, And these are three talented people that did not have the material and still fought for the comedy absolutely.
Speaker 1: So this is not in any.
Speaker 2: Ways but the movie itself. I have to give four terrible soundtracks and that kills me. And I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm not going to sleep tonight.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry I could not as exactly the number I was gonna pick four, and I'm gonna sleep like a baby.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's this is was not a good movie.
Speaker 4: We've seen what Disney Disney Channel can do, and again, there's no excuse, is the answer to this, because we've seen movies at exactly the same time, even younger, with better scripts. They had the cast in place, so they have young, talented actors.
Speaker 1: It's a dog movie. You got a great, big dog. There's so much you can do.
Speaker 4: It just failed on a whole bunch of different levels. Not the actor's fault, nope, but it failed on a whole bunch of different levels.
Speaker 1: So I agree with you as well. It is for terrible soundtracks. This was a rough one to watch, Okay, so thank you so much for joining us. We know that was a tough one. It was.
Speaker 4: I'm sure there's some people out there that absolutely loved it. I would encourage you to watch again as an adult. It is a little bit different. But our next movie is something we have been so amped up for since day one of deciding to do this podcast. You know, it's officially spooky season because we'll be reviewing the nineteen ninety eight holiday staple wait for it, Halloween Town.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 4: Yes, a very important entry into the Lexicon of dcoms. We cannot wait talk about a good young actor.
Speaker 1: Man. This cast is gonna be great. And don't sit and stay just yet.
Speaker 4: Because our dedicated magical rewind feed we've interviewed the one and only Kyle Massey from Life Is Rough and he's told us a ton of great stories and we just had an all around.
Speaker 1: Dog gone good time, Sabrina, dog gone can't good time, That's what I just said. I apologize, but here's a clip from the show.
Speaker 4: Do you remember the first time you met Jed, which was the name of the dog that played Niko.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, I actually met Jeb before we actually started filming the movie. So there was actually like this really awesome like animal training facility that like all the Disney Channel actors used. I don't know if they used all of them, but they they were like providing animals to all the Disney channels, you know. And they sent me out there to like work with him and meet him and teach him some tricks. So we got a little bonding time before cool.
Speaker 4: Thanks everybody for joining us, and remember to subscribe to our magical rewind feed and you can follow us on the Instagram machine at magical wine Pod.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, Bye,