Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Kristin Davis, and I want to know are you a Charlotte? You guys, everyone, thank you for joining us on Are You a Charlotte? Today we are rewatching Hot Child in the City, which aired in two thousand. The year two thousand and we have Payton lists with us who's in the episode and who must have been what like thirteen fourteen?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I was. I think it was like right around I remember it was shooting in the summer, and that was when my birthday fell, so it's somewhere around my birthday. But I think we shot it like before I turned fourteen or what a day after?
Speaker 1: I do you hear the actual accurate age of the character.
Speaker 2: That's so unusual, and most all of us were within a year of each other.
Speaker 1: Amazing, And you're there with Kat Dennings, who we love so much. Yeah, who's a little baby. I know, just a little baby.
Speaker 2: But at the same time, I think she's also one of those people that I look at and I'm like, you're completely recognized from the time you were that young to like how you grew up, Like you can so tell how there's some people like that. Yes, if you saw a picture of me when I was seven. It does not look really remotely like the same person, but you just get those like features exactly this.
Speaker 1: Do you look exactly the same exactly?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just feel like there's some coming, but it's just so clear.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is clear, you know. I mean I'm much older, but you know I look the same my whole life, I think, Yeah, yeah, and Kat so specific. Her total look is such a specific look. I love to see her on the billboards now for her new show, which is so funny that she's playing Tim Allan's daughter. I played Tim Allan's wife in a movie Shaggy Dog. Oh my god. It was a very small world. And I haven't seen her because she then went on to do she did this part when you guys were super young, thirteen fourteen, and this is in the year two thousand you were all acting, which you know, let's get into that later. How did this come to be? But then later she goes on to do Two Broke Girls with Michael Patrick's other show, Yes, Yeah, which is so nice. And I used to see her. He would have you know, things events or dinners or whatever, and I would see her, and I mean, they worked so hard, but they were so great on that show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was well, it was a it was a great show show. I know.
Speaker 1: She and Beth were really really amazing. Beth bears so great and I love her so much. And the fact that she is a little child here with yourself and I mean, so they are just to refresh everybody. There is Samantha, as we know, is a publicist and she gets this client who is a thirteen year old girl who's going to have her bat mitzvah and her dad is super wealthy, and Samantha is a little bit like, no, I'm not going to do this. And then Kat's character, whose name is People's Big Time, like she really is like well, and then she says something about the money, you know, like a million. Does she say something like we I don't think we're gonna be able to do this party friend or a million, which Samantha is.
Speaker 2: In your two thousand, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I know, and Samantha is just like oh wow, okay. And then at a different point in the show, they're all at a restaurant and you guys are there and you send Samantha champagne and yeah, even come over and you're just you're so it's so accurate too today also in terms of like, at one point, I think I'm my character's not at the I'm at therapy with Trey apparently, but I'm not there. And the girls say like, oh, they're fourteen going on thirty, like one hundred percent you are. But this is how all of them are. Now. I don't know if I know any fourteen year olds.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Me, I don't know. I don't think I know any fourteen year olds. Got it.
Speaker 1: My daughter's fourteen? Oh wow, okay, all right, so you know what she's doing great, right, But like sometimes I look at her friends and I'm like, oh my gosh, like, what are they doing? What are they wearing? I mean, yeah, they're wearing nineties clothes, is what they're wearing.
Speaker 2: But that's so it's so strange that we're back. I mean, I look around and I'm like, I was certain this would never see the light of day again. Like we all decided this was a bad idea, right, collectively, we decided, I need these pants will never come back, I know, but.
Speaker 1: You get well, First of all, my daughter's not really interested in the low waisted, but she is interested in like the baggie they're really into the baggy almost grunge, but they don't really know it's grunge, right right, I really understand the origins of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's and it hasn't gone full grunge like to where it was.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think it will. But wait, let's talk about you. How did you come to be on the show? How did you? What was going on?
Speaker 2: It was? It was one of those things where a lot of the kids who did like children's modeling also did children's acting, because it all kind of led over to like working kids kind of thing. There were, of course, of course, kids that only did acting, or I mean most all of the kids that did like children's modeling, they would just be like, oh, we'll just go out for this audition because really what's required of you is following instructions rather than, you know, like if we can get some acting out of you, great, But they weren't so picky. But it was kind of fell into that category because I was already there doing that off and on, and it was just an audition that was kind of like any other audition.
Speaker 1: And did you know what the show was?
Speaker 2: I'm not sure, Like I know once I know, once I got it. I knew what the show was. But again that time where I lived, not everybody had HBO. HBO was kind of like this scene as like this luxury thing to have. It wasn't this, oh you need to have HBO otherwise you're not going to see any of the relevant shows that are on the air. Kind of thing like it was Sopranos and you guys like it was six feet under maybe.
Speaker 1: I think, but you know it was right.
Speaker 2: It's that time where you know, people who maybe the households that really cared about like great television would would you know, get HBO. But I was aware of it because I was in New York all the time and I can really remember the billboards because they were everywhere, you know, and it was provocative like it was it was.
Speaker 1: It would have been like Martini glass, like exactly exactly her laptop in the Cosmo glass. Yeah, it was very odd as a you know, I remember being like, whoa, we really want to do this, but super brilliant on HBO's part.
Speaker 2: Eye catching. I mean I remember and Keed didn't have HBO, you know, didn't know people who watched the show. But I remember those bills, right, I remember Penn station, those pictures being on you know, the signs and everything, and if you.
Speaker 1: Think about advertising now for shows and movies, it's so risque, but back then it wasn't no, especially for TV shows. It was just like people in suits. Yeah, you know, like get a very stilted, posed looking gal gallery set. Absolutely, absolutely, that's interesting. So there you are, you're thirteen years old. Did your parents come with you? How did it work?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 2: It was always usually my mother. And I feel like it's one of those things where I again like I don't trust my memory totally, but I do feel like I have this memory of going out to.
Speaker 1: Queens. It was it's in which is part of Queens.
Speaker 2: So I didn't go. I didn't leave Manhattan, mostly because that's just not where a lot of like the ghost es a castle, right, things right, But I do sort of have a memory of going into a room and it being a very large room and it just being a very different environment to to like a ghost see for children's stuff, it was and like the high pressure of oh, you've got to say lines like memorized, you know, I was not. I wasn't really like a theater kid, So it was this like I don't belong here, but I'm gonna pretend. I do. You know what I meant.
Speaker 1: Job, you did a great job.
Speaker 2: I just rewatched it and I'm like, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I think you're finishing a stick.
Speaker 2: I feel like you're fingerly generous. I did not understand edit back then. Oh my god, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: First of all, the way you all look and the way you carry yourselves. You're very believable. It's very believable and kind of slightly frightening way. But that's the part, you know.
Speaker 2: Just how well can we shame people, isn't it?
Speaker 1: Like I mean, but also like just the whole like you know, this is not your fault. This is the part right you're entitled. Oh yeh Manhattan girls. Yeah, it's a very real thing. Oh yeah, and you're all just gorgeous.
Speaker 2: You know, I didn't understand. I didn't really understand the kind of girls that that was inspired by until like a few years later when I actually met them. Right, you know what I mean? Because you're running in certain circles and you start to overlap with people.
Speaker 1: And you're like, oh, it's a real thing.
Speaker 2: It's a real thing, And like later on you're like, well, that's what Gossip Girl was sort of basic. You're like, oh, it's a continuation of that.
Speaker 1: That's exactly right, that's exactly right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So my thought too, because I know, Okay, so this particular season was our season where it was just a big, big season, you know, and I remember that some of these scenes, like when you guys are coming into the party. Yeah, like it was a big scene on the street.
Speaker 2: That's one of the things that's most memorable for me. Yeah, because i'd been in I was in New York a lot, and like how shocking it was to see like the magnitude of shutting down multiple streets in the middle of midtown Manhattan, Like what that took to do, and how as someone who spent a lot of time New York and going it's very inconvenient for people. I would be really annoyed if I had to walk out of my way and you want me to walk in Avenue like, and everyone's probably going, ooh, what's that that's called crafty? Can I have some of that?
Speaker 1: Like, I mean there's so many things that they think, but yeah, New York is you're like, get out of.
Speaker 2: Get out of our way. That's what I would revert into it if I wasn't there for that.
Speaker 1: But do you remember, because I also remember this season as being particularly long hours, do you remember that part of it all? Like like we often shot all night, but you guys would have had your you know, like hour requirements because of your age.
Speaker 2: Right, and we also were I mean they were single. They were kind of single standalone scenes, and they were daytime scenes. So it was a.
Speaker 1: Good point, a little bit.
Speaker 2: More controlled in that way, right.
Speaker 1: We would have daytime scenes that we would do in the mill of the night though, just f yi. But because that one when you're coming to the party is exterior but exterio, you know, the restaurant for instance, But you would when when you're under eighteen, there are union rules about how long you can work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I don't think I knew what those union rules were for sure, for sure, but we did, but you did, Yeah, and I'm sure they were. I'm sure they were in place, But it also was I didn't have a concept of what working hours were, so you know, your your experience of it not knowing anything is just, oh, you're there until you're done. You know, you're just to show up and you just that's amazing.
Speaker 1: Did you think it was fun?
Speaker 2: I did think it was fun. Oh good. But I think a lot of that was also probably tied to being able to like work with other people your own age, because so much of that work you're kind of you're by yourself with a ton of adults, and while that is very comfortable, maybe it's just more fun when there's someone that you feel like you can look at and you're like, you know what I'm going through, right, Like you know you have an understanding. Yeah, so that was particularly fun because it.
Speaker 1: Was were you in school.
Speaker 2: I think we shot it over the summer, so I think that wasn't mean you were.
Speaker 1: Going to school. You weren't one of those kids who never went to school.
Speaker 2: I wasn't a weird in between, because there would be those kids who went to PCs that were like in that full time New York school where they were constantly pulled out. I was in school in Maryland where I was pulled out once two times a week. So it was a weird arrangement that I had with my school to be able to do that. But that was affected with other work later on a lot more than Sex and City being in the summertime and it just being you know something, You're just like, I'll never get to do something like this again, Like the novelty of it just being like, what a cool adventure. I think my mother took a lot of pictures that she probably was not supposed to be taking. That's okay.
Speaker 1: I don't think we controlled it very well back then. We didn't have the because this is the season that we really, like in my experience, at least, jumped up a level in terms of popularity, right, Like it first season we shot the whole thing before it aired. It was just our little secret, right. Second season, people kind of knew, but it was kind of niche, right, I mean that's how I felt. Yeah, I've talked to other actors who were like, oh no, everyone wanted to be on that show was the biggest hit. It was the coolest show. We didn't necessarily I didn't feel that way yet.
Speaker 2: Right, Right, It's how you experienced it and how you sort of were dealing with the influx of popularity.
Speaker 1: Right, And I mean what I remember first season, second season, we still were trying so hard to promote it, Like if anyone wanted to talk to us, we were like, yes, we talked to them for five hours, you know whatever. It was like whatever, watch our show, Yeah, totally like get the word out. Whereas third season it started to really have a life of its own and you didn't have to like begged people to talk to us, Right, That's that's what I read.
Speaker 2: No, But I find that super interesting because like there's a number of shows that like maybe found their feet in season two or you feel like they really took off in season three, and watching that sort of evolution of when people start to realize it's a lot different than the thing that they felt they were doing initially, right, And.
Speaker 1: I mean for us, we did get to evolve as a show too, which was really nice, right, Like we got to change you know, whether we were talking in camera, whether we had the people on the street, and you know there were things from the beginning.
Speaker 2: That we got changed.
Speaker 1: You went, yeah, and we got into much more. And this is where you really see it happening the long the long story arc, right, like with Charlotte especially, this is my first time to have a long story arc like this, right, other than that you knew she wanted to get married, right, but now she actually is married and what does that mean? And there's all these problems and you know whatnot. Whereas for Carrie, this is kind of an interesting This is the season where she's with Aiden, but she cheats with Big, right, that's her big through line, but this is kind of a standalone seat. It is a yeah for her, which is fascinating, and also for Miranda, who gets braces, which I had no memory of. Okay, like what this is one of those ones where I was watching it and I felt like I was watching it for the first time, Like you.
Speaker 2: Didn't remember any of those stuff?
Speaker 1: What I do remember. I do not remember my storyline, not one second, okay, not one second, Like I don't If you had said to me, did you you know, meaning our characters go to therapy, I would have been like, no, what are you talking about?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think I was so exhausted and like low level overwhelmed that some of it. I'm just like, I don't know what. I don't know if I was in my body, honestly, I just don't know. I don't know. Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Well, and sometimes you'll just never have an explanation as to why no, I mean some stuff doesn't stay.
Speaker 1: I watch myself in it, and it I it seems fine, but I just don't have any memory. I'll tell you what. I have a memory, and I kind of wanted if I'd had time, I would have researched this. You know how some New York summers are super hot.
Speaker 2: You literally melt into the sidewalk, right, you'd be confused with the sort of tar.
Speaker 1: That's right, it's soft, right, And the summer before had been and we would film in the summer. We would start in February where it was cold, okay, and then we would film all summer pretty much to get you know, however many eighteen twenty one, whatever it is that we did eighteen and you know, by the end it was baking hot, right. Yeah, I believe, and I could be wrong. I believe that they wrote this episode Hot Child in the City based on the fact that the summer before was really really hot and then so and we were working right, so like we would just be sweaty, sweaty, sweating in our hair.
Speaker 2: My impression of the show. And I don't know if this is like true or not, because I wasn't watching it consistently then, because I just didn't have HBO. But yeah, is that like there was a lot of location, Like, it doesn't look like a show that was on stage.
Speaker 1: It's true. I mean that was by design, and there were sometimes because our apartments would alwa sets, right, because we had to have some controllable environments because of the weather and this and that, and also money, it's so expensive to film on the locations.
Speaker 2: Shutting down streets cost some money.
Speaker 1: A lot of money. And also this EID this season is the big season. We got the set on the ferry, like, we have big, big, expensive locations, which is how we would like to roll at all times. You know, that's our that's our vibe. But there would be times when we'd be over budget and we would move back inside and then I remember vividly a few times Sarah Jessica saying, this is not okay, this is not our show. We need to be on the street. You need to be able to see our shoes, you need to push the cameras.
Speaker 2: You're losing the city parts.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeh, exactly, And she was so right. But of course it's always a balance, you know.
Speaker 2: Well, but then you're also at the mercy of the elements, like scorching summers where you know, it's like poor hair and makeup trying to I know it deal with the heat and the smell.
Speaker 1: The thing that I love looking back at it, Like you know, sometimes Sarah's hair has a of friz on. It is so gorgeous. It's like almost like a halo over her head, you know what I'm saying. Like for Charlotte, no one would ever except that I would have frizz, though I do have wavy hair in one scene, which I was always really pushing for because I just didn't want to wear that same straight hair all the time.
Speaker 2: I understand, we get bored, you know what I mean. I understand from someone with straight hair, I really.
Speaker 1: You know, and everyone else loves it, but like for me, I was like, oh my god, please just please let me do something different. So there's a scene I think at the beginning, Oh remember when they say we say cafeteria was the news? Oh yeah, yeah, I do. I had forgotten all of the high school references in this is.
Speaker 2: I don't remember that at all, And so I did do the rewatch and I was like, oh my gosh, I didn't get any of these references or like, go give the guy your number and not being so cute and just lost on me, complainedly.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: And I feel like Sarah Jessica park Man, she was so leaned in, she.
Speaker 2: Was so adorable.
Speaker 1: She's so adorable and giggly, like we very rarely see her. Like it was really really enjoyable. And also the other interesting thing about this is it's directed by Michael Spiller. I don't know if you remember this. He was our director. He had been our DP. Oh really yeah, okay, not from the very beginning, but close to the beginning. And I know that he'd wanted to direct, and I feel like he might have directed before this. I'm not sure, but what I was struck by watching it. First of all, there are a lot of cool shots, like when she ends up on the balcony with the guy, which we'll get into in their overhead, you know, and like there are a lot of cool shots. But also I feel like everyone seemed very relaxed.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 1: I really like that when I'm watching it, I mean, sometimes I can tell that, like maybe sometimes I can remember times where things weren't relaxed, and you know, the writers and the director or usually just the writers wanted us to do something, do you know what I'm saying? Really, I can see myself trying to execute the idea that they want me to do.
Speaker 2: There's like an extra pressure on that thing that you're trying to achieve, and I can.
Speaker 1: See it in my face, you know, or my voice or whatever. And then sometimes we just seem like relaxed and giggly, which the whole episode not counting me because I'm at the therapy, but everybody else so relaxed and giggly. It was so charming.
Speaker 2: I had this reaction though, when I was watching because obviously you're watching it years later, so you're watching it from a different perspective from life, Yeah, I think, but also coming from like New York at the time. Now when I watch it, I'm like, you know what, back in New York, it does really stand out as this almost thing that was viewed as very childish to have, like a comic book store for a grown bud get into comics and all the stuff. Where's yeah now, yeah, it's universal, every age, every guy, and we don't look at it as the guy who lives in his mom's apartments.
Speaker 1: But it's the other thing. It's so now, it's so now that.
Speaker 2: But back then we would have it's like so normal how the friends reacted to to Yeah, we were like no, absolute, it's just start contrast percent.
Speaker 1: But now it's so accurate now, like no one moves out from their parents' house. Apparently, this is what I read. I don't really know this age people, but you know, twenty five year olds or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, most guys that you would meet in New York, you know, if anything, they would seem older than they were. There was this sort of influence of wanting to fit into an adult grown up for sure.
Speaker 1: The suit, the yeah bros Or finance bros.
Speaker 2: I remember, really the last time I went back to New York for like a long pair time after I've been living in LA and I'm like, everyone's wearing a suit.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, this is it's funny.
Speaker 2: It's really funny. And you're like actually looking at a guy and going, that's really definitely younger than he looks a lot more grown up.
Speaker 1: Even more true London really oh yeah, oh gosh, they dressed so up. Like certainly if you go to you know, like central London, I mean it's insane and intense and the suits are so beautiautiful beautiful, just like whoa. But it's also like a little hard to you know, how do you how do you relate to that? I don't know. It's an interesting culture thing, but I do feel that way in New York as well. But also sometimes when I go to Beverly Hills, I'm like, wow, there's a lot of dudes and suits here.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, you know, I've entered a place where people feel the need to wear a suit, right, But it's like in New York back then, seeing a guy who's like T shirt jeans.
Speaker 1: Especially he's got like surfer hair.
Speaker 2: Surfer hair, yeah, yeah, And how you would sort of I don't know, if it was like just culture society, how you would like put him in a more juvenile, don't take it seriously category.
Speaker 1: But clearly Carrie likes this. It's like I'm going to do something different.
Speaker 2: Those were the questions they were asking there, like are you really comfortable dating the guy? And she's like right, and good for her.
Speaker 1: She has such a good time with and it's so cute. But the thing about the heat, the reason that I remember it is because they have that scene on the balcony where they get the hose out and I remember that was actually chili.
Speaker 2: Of course it was, of course it was.
Speaker 1: This is what I remember. I don't remember anything that I did, but I remember that concerned the Sarah Jessica and this guy. We're gonna have to get wet when it was chilly, when it was supposed to be hot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the silliness just so par for the course, though, isn't it If it's supposed to be hot, it's freezing exactly.
Speaker 1: And then we did write when we did it, and just like that, we wrote a big snow scene. And then the year we were filming, there was no snow, of course, you know what I mean, So we had to manufacture all of it. So let's talk about do you have any memories about your fittings. I'm always curious about young people coming into our world. But you were modeling, so you're probably used to a lot.
Speaker 2: Of and I think that's probably why I don't have a memory of that, right. It probably resembled to a degree like any other fitting. Probably, I genuinely don't have any memory. I remember my wardrobe, okay, and I remember was I can't say it was the first time, but it was. There was definitely like wardrobe malfunctioning happening.
Speaker 4: Oh no, because because these clothes, these clothes are not these clothes are meant to be seen, they're not meant to be like functional, and my top did not want.
Speaker 2: To stay on, and it was just like I was so used to as a kid. You know, if they're just like, oh, these genes don't fit you, right, we'll cut the scene through the middle where you're rear end is and stick a sock in it and and like that's what you're gonna wear. We will never see you from the back, So that kind of just where's the scotch tape or just clip it? You're used to that, But with that being live action, I guess you'd say, like, yeah, they were double stick taping the top on because the straps were breaking and you're getting in and out of that limo over and over again. And I definitely had a oh no, a moment where I'm like, wow, there's a lot of people here. I think I might have flashed them. I don't know, Oh my.
Speaker 1: God, I did at thirteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you're yeah, but you're also just like there's no I mean, yeah, you're a little bit self conscious, but you're also like well it's summertime in New York and the type failed, and well.
Speaker 4: That's a good that's good because there's nothing else you can do.
Speaker 1: I'm sure it was either like a sample or I think it probably right or vintage. I can't remember exactly.
Speaker 2: What where, Like maybe it goes down a runway or a catwalk, but it doesn't go in and out of limos thirty seven times.
Speaker 1: Real life, yeah, real life, yeah, for sure, for sure, for sure. So you remember you did a lot of takes.
Speaker 2: I remember, yeah, I remember there was a lot of takes for that. But it also just took a while because I think they had to keep like circling the block to do the However they shot the arrival, like I think they were shooting huge, huge wide masters and stuff of that, so we were that just took a while to reset over and over again when I watch it. When I watched it back, I'm like, you could just see the door just roll up. I know, think it was just but I think that's not I feel like and again my memory, I feel like that's not how they shot it, Like they shot more of the Oh I'm sure the car is coming up and they've got all those cars around, they've got a preset and all that. So I remember that being like a lot of takes and getting that right and having all the young people.
Speaker 1: That were the extras that we're excited to see you. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you're not just dealing with like adult extras, you're also dealing with teenagers and just getting that just getting that right right. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it can be so patience challenging, you know, like.
Speaker 2: Totally, but that's also where it sort of ignorance is bliss if you're not used to that world, because you're just like, I have no idea how many times we're doing this. If you're going right, we're gonna be doing this for three hours. So like settle in. If you'd known that going in, you might be like, uh, but when you don't know it, it's just no.
Speaker 1: And also, I mean the fun is you were together with other young people and you guys can just chat and whatever.
Speaker 2: Exactly. I'm sure we're pretty annoying at times for some of the pas, but that's it's okay, that's all right, a right. I mean you're like, we feel bad, but not really.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, why would you so bad?
Speaker 2: You know, we're just like so chatty and we're just being silly and yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's their job, be annoyed, just.
Speaker 2: To be annoyed. Yeah, but up with us?
Speaker 1: Sorry, Okay, let's talk about the plot. Let's talk about the plat. Okay, so we see Carrie she wants to go to a leother store to have her shoes fixed, right, is that right? And then it's the comic book store, right, which is so so how in New York it's so ney.
Speaker 2: I was just thinking that it's so New York when you're like, oh, I'm gonna where'd it go?
Speaker 1: I know that, Like, wait, did I imagine? That?
Speaker 2: Always happened with me with restaurants, and it would just be heartbreaking because at the restaurants you have memories and you want to go back there and have that. Yeah. I agree.
Speaker 1: I lived on the Upper West Side for a long time, which of course is not you know, the hot spot anymore, but every single time i'd go back, if I was gone, the rest of would be different. It would be so sad, so frustrating. But what can you do. It's ever changing. This is how it is.
Speaker 2: This is the well and also the places that you're you feel dependent on, like your shoe repair guy and you're like, what do you mean he's not here?
Speaker 1: Totally absolutely, especially for Kerrie, she were very very important, very very important. So she goes down, she has a very charming conversation with this guy at this store. I'm like, wow, you're very like I just don't even know if that would happen now.
Speaker 2: No, it would, I mean, it doesn't happen in my life. But like, also the the ease at Wish, she has that conversation with a stranger and any guy that she's like, he's attractive and I know I feel.
Speaker 1: Like also because it's this tiny store, yeah right, so Will kind of feels safe.
Speaker 2: But at the same time, yeah, like when you're watching it, you're like necessarily natural and you're going, oh, if that were real life with me, it would be like I'm going to count how many times making eye contact with this person that it would be like, what is it? You know what you're assessing a safe situation and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, right, I mean, yeah, it's been a I can't I don't know. I am trying to think of the last time that I would have gotten into a whole, very very long conversation with a stranger in a store. I can't think of when it would be.
Speaker 3: Right, or there's not a whole lot of people around, right, I mean that's the other adorable kind of thing, is like it's like a street level, you know, adorable tiny store with like two fifteen year old boys or whatever, you or just like.
Speaker 1: Goggling Carrie totally in her adorable outfit. And this is the much discussed Chanelle top that then she wore later, but in a slightly different color way, I believe though. When I was looking, I was like, no, no, that might be the same one. It's very confusing, but we rewore this in and just like that was that an issue? No, it was a good thing discussed.
Speaker 2: Okay, oh okay.
Speaker 1: But the funny thing about it, I kind of recognize it. It's a very specific channel with like blobs of.
Speaker 2: Right a lot of color.
Speaker 1: And she had worn it backwards in the first show, which is a very sure Jessica thing. She loves things backwards or upside down or whatever mismatch. She likes that. And so you can see the little Chanelle tag.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I remember, I remember when I just rewatched it, I saw that tag there and I was like, yeah, because she's wearing it backwards.
Speaker 1: She's so funny. But then so then she's got Carrie's clothes in storage, right, and they didn't go back and get it out. But Mollie Rogers are costume designer, got a call from a vintage place that she knows downtown and they said, oh, we have a we have an amazing group of clothes that are from Karen Elson's personal clothes. The model, the redheaded model, beautiful red. You recognize her, I'm sure I would. I'm sure very nineties two thousand, Yeah, incredible woman. Used to be married to Jack White. Not that I should be talking about her personal life, but just side note. And she so, So Molly went down there and at the bottom of this basically suitcase was this chanelle top slightly different colors or else maybe faded under sure, and Molly recognized because Molly's been our costume designer forever. So she got it and then Sir Jesca wore it again on and just like that turned around. So it's just the scoop neck without the tag, right, and then there's a whole drama. Did she get it out?
Speaker 2: Is it hers?
Speaker 1: Where did it come from? Is it the same one, is it a different one? Blah blah blah blah blah, many conversation. But I love that, you know, I love that, you know, the clothes are interesting enough that you could even have a conversation about it.
Speaker 2: Well. And I don't think there was anything on television where a woman was wearing clothes like that. No, it just it wasn't network. It wasn't do you know what I mean. It wasn't gone through the sort of all the approval steps that what is acceptable to everyone, right.
Speaker 1: It's just well, was creative that we did have a little bit of that, Like we did have. Michael Patrick, I think will admit himself that sometimes he would be he would be an a sayer. He would he would say like, no, she wouldn't wear that, and Pat Field will be like she would, you know, and then it would be a whole power struggle. And because Sarah Jessica was on the side with Pat usually and really wanted to push the boundaries in a way that she thought was true to that character and true to those women who were living this life and borrowing things. I mean, Kendace push No was borrowing things, you know, even though because people say like, well, how could she afford it? Well, she she's not affording all of it. She's borrowing stuff, right, you may not be seeing her going ample s sample. So absolutely, there's so many creative ways. And at the time there was Century twenty one way down on the do.
Speaker 2: You remember, Oh my gosh, I remember it, so what a special But then it was like are you going to go down there? Because it was a it was a journey, it was there was a field trip to go. It was got.
Speaker 1: It was way at the tip, way down down, and it was a big place and you had to work hard to find the good things in the big place. It wasn't like they were like, hello, here's the Chloe time you were looking for. No, it was like really like hit a miss No, Yeah.
Speaker 2: It was. It was you had to go in with a loose plan that could adapt. But it was like if people are going to like IKEA or I guess like now like an H and M, where there's so much stuff and if you're looking for one thing, you're like, you have to pace yourself. You have to go in caffeinated, you have to be ready, you know what I mean, You to have a melt down and leave.
Speaker 1: Definitely definitely, definitely, And Molly said she was there so much that people would ask her where the belts were they thought she worked there. Yeah, but we got credible, incredible things there. I mean it was the only way that we could because we were borrowing stuff by this point in this show, but we had started with a tiny budget, you know, so they just had to be super creative as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and you have to.
Speaker 1: Be Yeah, everyone, everyone in New York has to be super creative. Okay. So Carry goes in. She meets this adorable guy with this like surfer hair who has a comic store, which is also really entertaining and funny, but much more niche back then, like it was before Marvel.
Speaker 2: Was like that's that's the funny thing. Seeing it now, it was so like niche and you're like, oh wow, if they only.
Speaker 1: Knew exactly exactly, I hope we kept that store going that guy. And then they so they go to on a date to Barcode. I feel like bar Code is still there?
Speaker 2: Do you think?
Speaker 1: Yes, it's still there? Amazing. Yeah, And it's so obviously not Carrie's normal vibe, but she's having such a good time.
Speaker 2: It's perfect, Like what they're the story.
Speaker 1: They're doing absolutely And when she gets on that scooter in the street, I mean, I don't remember any of this at all. When she gets on that scooter, I mean, hello, how.
Speaker 2: Did you not fall over?
Speaker 1: Well, because I know her, I'm not, I'm not. I didn't even think for a second she was going to follow her, because I know her. She can do anything in those heels. But the thing that made me laugh, like, think about East scooters now, like this is so prescient. Our whole episode is so timely.
Speaker 2: Of those scooters. I remember had a real moment like everywhere there was razor y Razor scooters, you know that would fold up and they.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, my kids went through a big Razor phase.
Speaker 2: I mean, they were so popular, I think, especially right around that time.
Speaker 1: I know, it's so funny that this guy is on a scooter and has a comic book store. He's really ahead of his time. You know, at the time, we do we not realize. Yeah, we all criticize him, but he was right on the pulse, right on the pulse of things to come. So she adorably goes on a day with him and goes scootering, and then he says he do you want to come over to my impressive apartment with the view, little dish.
Speaker 2: She know.
Speaker 1: They go to like an unbelievable You don't see the whole apartment, Okay, you mostly see the balcony, but they've basically got like a view of of everything, right, Like it's very intense, and she says, a breasts side. But I feel like you can see the river, like I feel like it's on the East River.
Speaker 2: But I thought in my head, I'm like, it's a view of the park, but it's I.
Speaker 1: Mean it might. I don't need more attention. I feel like I feel like over across the water is Brooklyn, Do you know what I mean? Yeah?
Speaker 2: But I also I believe you because in my head I could have just dropped in whatever I thought.
Speaker 1: Of course, your own actions, because the way the balcony looks, it looks like the traditional buildings that would be over on fifth, right, yeah, right, But I don't know if it is. I don't know if it is, and I wasn't there obviously physically, so I have no idea. But so they go and she's wondering, you know how he has this incredible apartment which is so adorable, And then we find out that it is because he lives with his mom and she's adorable.
Speaker 2: She's so cute, he's so cute.
Speaker 1: So cute, and she wants to give them lemonade and whatnot, which is also really funny and weird. And he's really accepting of it all, which is like, how old is he? I want to know.
Speaker 2: How old's the character?
Speaker 1: And yeah, do we ever say? I don't think we do.
Speaker 2: I think he's definitely at least mid thirties, right, He's gotta be, He's got to be.
Speaker 1: It's so interesting how I feel like.
Speaker 2: The age was referenced multiple times where yeah, because I think because of the Miranda character storyline about the braces and everything, where yes, she's I was surprised how many times that she's like, we're there's the thirteen year olds and we're thirty four, thirty five or whatever it was. Yes, that I don't remember that being such a references.
Speaker 1: A reference because back at this time we were considered old. Right, we just really laugh out loud, funny. I mean, we're thirty three and we're talking about.
Speaker 2: That's what sort of like society conditions.
Speaker 1: We weren't wrong, we were wrong. That was very true. For us back then. Yeah, but that's partly why we talk about it so much. YEA, Like now, I don't think anyone frowns on anybody getting braces at any age.
Speaker 2: No, And it's also a lot more common.
Speaker 1: More common, right, like tremendously more.
Speaker 2: Actually, when I see adults with braces, I'm like, you don't have a fear of commitment, you know, like I just gonna be good for you. Like I feel like if someone to me said you need braces now and be like, I just don't know, Like I think I'm just gonna yeah. I like that seems like a lot of commitment, like when to commitment.
Speaker 1: My daughter has braces. It's a lot of commitment. I love her orthodontist, thank goodness. We look forward to seeing doctor esther. But it is a lot of commitment.
Speaker 2: And I feel like with the adults that do it, you're.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, you know, you're making some time, you're making some.
Speaker 2: Time, and yeah, and you're like that's self love, that's like good, good for you.
Speaker 1: I agree, totally. I agree, totally. So Carrie, Carrie does discuss this young man or whatever. I don't know if he's younger. I mean, I did not feel like he was our age, though when I was watching it, I felt like maybe he was late twenty, I was younger. He just seems younger, I mean, but obviously he's living with this would.
Speaker 2: Have made references to his age being younger, Like if they were discussing, like you're dating a guy who's they're like, yeah, but he's younger, right, But I feel like there was a sort of comparison of.
Speaker 1: The point, yeah, we don't really say that, Yeah, we don't really say that, but he does own his own shop, right, so like he's a total you know you guys, this is so much fun that we're going to have to have a part two, so join us later in the week on Are You as Charlotte