Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news. Bloomberg Tech is live from coast to coast with Caroline Hide in New York and vow into San Francisco.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Tech Coming up.
Speaker 3: We sit down with the Care We've CEO Michael and Trader to discuss the company's earnings as it.
Speaker 2: Builds out data center capacity.
Speaker 3: Plus, we break down the jobs report and the impact of AI on today's workforce with Clara Schai from the New Work Foundation, and we bring down more earnings with LIFT CEO David Risher. As a company spends on international expansion, but first we check in on these markets that are moving on an international basis. Looks we still have eyes towards some sort of peace still being broken between the US and Iran, but the focus is also on optimism round jobs. Data coming in stronger for the first back to back gain we've had at least a year in terms of month and month non f perils. But tech I'm afraid down for sixty straight months in terms of jobs in the information technology area. We're at one point seven percent though, even as consumer confidence lags and it's about the AI trade is about big tech, but there is a lagged out there, and I just want to shine light and what's happening with Core.
Speaker 2: We've ropt by twelve percent.
Speaker 3: The context is this company was up, let's say, ninety percent year to date. In the run up to these earnings, we see profit taking. We also see some anxiety as we see the forecast perhaps sort of living up to some of the higher expectations. CEO Michael and Trader joins us now in the studio. Michael, earnings are always tough when the market has built up a lot of optimism around the business.
Speaker 2: So why do you think they're.
Speaker 3: A little bit concerned about the full looking guidance when it comes to revenue, when it comes to operating profit.
Speaker 4: So look, I think this was, and I said this in the earnings call, a transformational and extraordinary earnings for us. You know, the company really hit on all cylinders. We you know, we beat on our revenue. You know, we reafforted our annual revenue targets from a nominal perspective, we reaffirmed our twenty twenty six ar are operating margin targets.
Speaker 5: Really a great.
Speaker 4: Quarter for us by the numbers, but also you know, extending our product you know, we can't keep up with demand from existing customers, which are you know, historically been AI labs and AI native and cloud. Now they're expanding, yeah, and we're just being overwhelmed by new verticals that are coming in and integrating AI at scale into their workflows.
Speaker 5: Right. And so you know, you heard me talk.
Speaker 4: A little bit about some of the the trading and finance companies like Jane Street and Hudson River Trading. You know that's adding to you know, JP Morgan and Morgan Stanley who are already clients. You know, you heard me talk a little bit about some of the physical AI into the robotics space, you know, where where you know, great new clients coming on to our infrastructure. It's really exciting. You know, Stock's going to bounce around. You know, we understand that. But but you know, one of the you know, one of the best things about being a founder and a CEO, and one of the best things about and one of the hardest things about being a founder and CEO is you know, I try to keep my eye on the parts of the business that are succeeding and growing and expanding. And you know, we're winning the day, right. We drove down our cost of capital, We expanded our backlog by forty billion dollars. We we did all the things that we needed to do. So I'm thrilled with the quarter. I think was fantastic. You know, seemingly there's a little bit of trepidation around next quarters revenue?
Speaker 3: Do you Yeah, how do you get next quot And indeed the second half people are optimistic that you're saying, I'm optimistic the profitability will.
Speaker 2: Ramp up in the second half. How does that happen?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: So, you know, I mean, look, we're we it's almost mathematical at some point, right like where you know you're building infrastructure, that infrastructure takes time to bring online.
Speaker 5: We are going through a massive build out across the company right now.
Speaker 4: It's why the the operating margins have compressed this because we're going through this enormous scaling exercise. As you push through that, all of that infrastructure comes onto billing. And once it comes on to billing, you are going to see a sequential expansion of the operating margins until we go from you know, one percent in Q one all the way up through low double digits by Q four. And you know that's sort of baked in because of the infrastructure coming online, the software capacity to deliver that infrastructure. You know, we're highly confident we're going to hit those numbers.
Speaker 3: There was anxiety about another company a kind not hitting internal numbers, and I'm talking about open And Look, Sarahphry has come on and spoken to colleagues here at breoing revenues and pushed back against that, saying they're seeing a wall of demand. But how confident are you that your clients are seeing that demand and are good for the money for the buildout.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So one of the things I talked about yesterday during Ernix call is that.
Speaker 5: The demand for our.
Speaker 4: Paper in the debt markets has been nothing shy of astounding. You know, we did a one of our delayed draw facilities closed two days ago. The clients in it were cohere and open Ai exclusively, and the two things happened. One, it was five x oversubscribed, which is enormous. It also closed fifty basis points below the marketed range, and that is a clear indication of enormous buying interest for financing the.
Speaker 5: Paper with regards to paying.
Speaker 4: Look, you know, open Ai is extraordinary company, right, One in ten people on the planet use their product.
Speaker 5: Every year.
Speaker 4: But you know, and we think that they're in a wonderful position. But we've also built an incredibly diversified portfolio of companies that use our infrastructure.
Speaker 5: This this quarter.
Speaker 4: We announced Anthropic, We announced a massive deal twenty one billion dollars with Meta. We announced, you know, a six billion dollar deal with Jane Street. You know, like the number of clients that are using our infrastructure are expanding, you know, the diversification is expanding.
Speaker 5: Open Ai is an important client, but one of many.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about an important partner and in your supply chain, and that's in Video. How confident you are with the strength of your relationship there and videos made deals with you, invested in you, but also doing that with shall I say, even competitors in the space.
Speaker 2: Is that ever an anxiety?
Speaker 4: No, I take that as an incredible affirmation of the fact that the world needs more of this infrastructure. And the demand and for the infrastructure and the product that we deliver is you know, overwhelming. And you know, at the end of the day, you know, in Video has got to do what it's got to do for its business. I really focus on my clients and my clients are coming back to us and they are saying again and again, you deliver the best product the way that your software stack enables our engineers to use it most efficiently, that most cost effectively, and most successfully, and therefore we want to buy more. And so the problem that I've got is how do I bring on enough infrastructure to sate and to deliver the infrastructure that my clients are clamoring.
Speaker 3: Dig into the problems because there have been delays at times with certain of them coming online. And that's to do with a partnership. What is the biggest chokol for you the matter?
Speaker 4: So you know, Core is becoming a massive player in the space, and you know we are currently approaching fifty data centers that were delivering infrastructure from There is no single data center provider that represents more than seventeen percent of our infrastructure. We have a massive effort internal to the company to go through self builds so that we have greater operational control over the delivery of data center capacity. You know, we're doing all the right things by diversifying to ensure that no single data center can materially impact the trajectory of the company.
Speaker 5: That is further.
Speaker 4: Reinforced by just the size and scale of the installed capacity. Right, So you know, if you have a gigawatt worth of capacity and a data hall represents you know, fifty megawats, you know, you know, and you're bringing a fifty megawat the impact of a week delay on fifty megawats in a gigawatt environment is very different than earlier on when you're bringing on fifty megawats and you only have fifty megawats online. A week delay rattles your entire ability to project where you're going.
Speaker 5: And we no longer have that problem.
Speaker 4: We have achieved escape velocity, both in terms of our data center capacity as well as our revenue, as well as our ability to provide guidance into the back half of this year.
Speaker 5: We're super excited about that.
Speaker 3: We'll wait for the investors maybe to just react to some of your longer term perspective, Michael Intrader.
Speaker 2: They're the CEO of Courwave on the back of theirnvembers.
Speaker 3: Now we're also watching shares a cloud flare after their own planning's report. Look, they're saying they're going to slash jobs. About a fifth of all jobs are going to go they're giving a forecast for revenue that fell short of analyst expectations. This is again and lean into AI, but it comes sadly at the expense of people and the workforce for them. We'll currently see the shares of twenty four percent as the really the revenue and the forecast is what is concerning people at the moment.
Speaker 2: Coming up, we'll.
Speaker 3: Discuss further that issue of AI, of tech, of jobs, of unemployment on the back of the jobs report and indeed of the likes of cloud Flare. Clara Shies with Us New Work Foundation doesn't blum beg tech. US payrolls beat most expectations in April was actually the first back to back game for payrolls in a year, but tech jobs have fallen for sixteenth straight month and that's in many ways being blamed on AI. Let's talk about the AI story here because learning artificial intelligence is becoming more and more crucial for workers to get hired. Forty two percent of recent grads are still underemployed. Tara Shies with Us found our CEO of New Work Foundation, former head of.
Speaker 2: Business at Meta.
Speaker 3: Your CV stands out and look, you're saying you want AI to be profitable not just for businesses, but everyone, including the millions of twenty five year olds currently unde employed or unemployed. Kara, you've founded this what's happening with the labor market right now.
Speaker 6: Thank you, Carolyne. Great to see you, gen Z. American workers are graduating in the worst job market in thirty seven years. As you said, forty two percent are underemployed, so they're bartending, they're working gig jobs and taking other work that don't require their degree. And it's because traditional pathways are drying up, and today's young Americans are graduating without the skills, tools and information they need to get hired in this AI economy.
Speaker 2: So the skills the tools they need.
Speaker 3: You're bringing that to bear, how because there is a sudden anxiety that people need to realign themselves for the future of work.
Speaker 6: Well, absolutely, And I look at the colleges in America and CA to twelve education. There is rightful caution around using AI, but many of these young people are actively being discouraged from using AI and learning AI while they're in school, and so they're graduating not knowing how to direct these systems, not knowing how to properly set up context engineering and how to apply these AI workflows in transformational ways, whether they're applying for a mar marketing job, software engineering, or accounting accounting.
Speaker 3: I think of just an industry that is being shaken up significantly by new AI products. This isn't just gen Z that are suffering. And the moment we see yet more and more layoffs being announced cloud Flair. Today we've had Block coming out with its numbers and showing the rewards it's gaining from having left almost half of its entire employee based coenbase this week.
Speaker 2: You think they just keep on building.
Speaker 3: Thirty three thousand tank jobs have been cut in April. What do you think the tech sector is going to look like in the future, Clo, It's.
Speaker 6: Really hard to say, but I think what we're trending right now is really much more usage of AI and specifically AI agents to do a lot of the work that traditionally entry level workers did. And again that's why it is so important that we equip our young graduates with a tool and information they need and the experience they need to get hired.
Speaker 2: Is there a backlash?
Speaker 3: I mean, I've thought of how you and I've sat down over the years, and you've talked about the tools you're using, the way you're leaning into a gender KI or just generator writ large.
Speaker 2: You then see the response to a Reese Witherspoon.
Speaker 3: Trying to say that maybe people who look like you and me, women in particular, should start using AI a little bit more. The people are worried about the cost of the environment, the cost of creativity and royalties and payouts. How do you navigate that amongst gen z who maybe coming to AI kicking and screaming yes.
Speaker 6: And as we've done this work with a New Work Foundation, one of my co founders Samantha, she is part of gen Z, and what I've heard from her and her friends is a lot of young people today do have these moral objections and concerns around AI. And so what I would say is these are the exact people we want being part of building the solutions, so that we can capture their concerns and creatively build the right path forward that addresses what they want but also doesn't leave them behind in this new economy.
Speaker 3: You've got this initial set of free AI tools. Job Claw, you've got one of them, Field Report. I want to go into they really do, but there is a lot of free tools out there. IBM has them, Amazon has them. Look, if you wanted to lean into understanding and building your own repertoire of AI talent, you can do it. So why did you have to design something different?
Speaker 6: Well, I think we have to address the legitimate moral questions that gen Z has, just like we said, but then also beyond that, it's almost overwhelming how much information is out there about AI. There are hundreds of thousands of hours of AI courses, certifications, some of them free, but some of them very expensive, and it's very hard for anyone of any age actually to navigate this. And so what we wanted to do is NEWWAAR Foundation is going job by job, going across the most common entry level white collar roles that young people are applying for, and we're breaking down exactly what it takes to become AI native in doing that job. So whether it's marketing, whether it's software, whether it's investment banking, whether it's legal, whether it's it's some other role. We're talking to hiring managers that are using AI, asking them to describe in clear terms how what they're looking for has changed in the last twelve months. As a result, of AI and agents. And we're also interviewing other gen Z workers who had been struggling to find work but have recently found a job in that particular role, so that they can share their tips and.
Speaker 2: Tricks our shy.
Speaker 3: I'm sure music to many A person's there, if they're listening, if they are among that gen Z cohort New Work Foundation. We appreciate your time today, taking a look now at your day's big number. Six billion dollars. That's what SoftBank is now targeting for a loan backed by its open Ai stake, after facing some hesitation from creditors. It's all according to people familiar with the matter. It's down from an initial target of ten billion dollars that it was originally planning. Part of the investor concerns deal with the difficulty of reaching a valuation for an unlisted company like open Ai, which has been reported as facing some challenges and meeting some internal targets and internal goals, a point that Sarah Fryer has pushed back on when joining our colleagues on Bloomberg News. Let's talk about SpaceX now rival, though its rival is ast Space Mobile, and it's searched to roughly twenty five billion dollar market cap despite generating just seventy one million dollars an annual revenue. It's fueled in large part by devoted retail investor community known as the space Mob.
Speaker 2: For more his Sana Frashanka.
Speaker 3: With today's Big Tay, it is one of the most red stories across our platform today. Sarah, so tell us a little bit of what's happening. Who are these people who are loving AST?
Speaker 7: Yeah, so, AST has thousands of retail investors. As you mentioned, the space Mob, and you know, there are a little reminiscent of the crowds that used to rally around Munstock side game stop in AMC. Except the space mob really believes in AST Space Mobile. They think it's going to become the next trillion dollar company. And they're not in it to make a quick hit. They really believe in the technology. AST is pioneering directed device technology, which are satellites that beam cellar section directly to your mobile phone, which is something that satellites traditionally have not done. And so they have, you know, rallied around the stock. They fixate on every shred of corporate intel from the company. They track their regulatory filings. You know, the planes that ship the company satellites. So they're about as devoted as a fan base to a company as you can get.
Speaker 3: And that devotion means the stock is out nearly six percent over a twenty two month period. We're looking at it on a one year basis right now. Talk to us about some leadership amongst the Space Mob.
Speaker 2: Cock who is Kuck?
Speaker 7: So the quuk is a He's a California based private investor. He wants to remain anonymous, but he has just a ton of money in as space Mobile. His family's money's in it, you know, for his kid's money, everything, And so he really leads the space Mob. He is one of the most prominent figures around the Space Mob. And you know, if you follow his ex post, he's very emotionally invested in it, and you know, you can track his mood based on how the stock is doing. And so he's really a zany character that you know a lot of the other Space mobbers follow and watch four signs of his emotional mood and sometimes you can see that reflected in the stock price as well.
Speaker 3: And he's bottom apparently, Tanna Ottaway, I mean, an extraordinary character. Shine light on his life savings into ast stock. Sana Fashanka, go read this story. Thank you for joining us on it. We appreciate you coming on now. Intel shares would largely flat for months after CEO Libhutan took the helm in March of last year, but have since climbed as you can see, to record highs as he built ties with some of the biggest technique is Anacle's President Trump still core challenges persist for the chip maker. Bloomberg's Big Tech reporter Sarah Fry joins us now because what's so interesting about this story is we've got this conversation to sit down with Lipbutan and one of people making of his leadership styles.
Speaker 8: Sarah well Ian King talked to many current informer employees and got the picture of that. While Liputan has succeeded in rallying this optimism around Intel's future from the likes of Donald Trump, Elon Musk, we have that potential customer deal with Apple and others, there still has to be a major change in how the company thinks about its products, how it develops them to be high quality, the quality of its factories, all of the work internally still needs to be done to really deliver on that optimism going forward. And so Intel, you know, we have these record highs, we have wall streets backing. Now we need Liputan to look inward and rally the company around a vision for that.
Speaker 3: And he's trying to look in his first interview, CEO telling inking, you got the technology, We've got the talent, we've got the scale to lead again, what leadership has earned through execution? Is he on site enough for that execution? That seems to be a bit of a concern amongst those that I interviewed.
Speaker 8: Yes Ian found that really he's spending or has spent at least a lot more time with customers than he has internally at Intel. And when he does spend time at Intel, he doesn't really go into the details with people. He's not a micromanager by any sense of the imagination. He is much more of a high level strategy thinker. When he hears somebody's strategy, he sort of quizzes them on the industry from a broad sense, and then if he likes how they think, he backs them and he undoes roadblocks for them and supports them, sort of like his role as a venture capital investor and board member. Right, But at Intel. The details really do matter because when you're you're thinking about the efficiency of these chips, about the ability for a customer to spend to make a bet on using one of your one of your factories, it has to go right. It has to be.
Speaker 3: Effective, particularly when the yield rates are only about sixty five percent versus eighty percent over at t SMC, Sarah Fryar brilliant editing on a really crucial story.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining on it. Welcome back to Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 3: It's another day, another new record high for then as that one hundred, we continue to power on. Maybe the jobless claims a rosier look on the labor market, even though it's not a rosier look for tech jobs. Sixteen months of declines for the tech industry and jobless claims, but I mean not in jobless claims, in non vom payrolls, but consumer sentiment also low. Nevertheless, we're looking at earnings that have been thriving in certain parts of the business, and I want to dial into some of those earnings that we got overnight and in the morning, I'm looking at three point three percent games for Airbnb. Look, they're dialing up the growth expectations of the investor base right now because they're seeing good growth in the United States. They're even reinvesting, of course, putting money to work to.
Speaker 2: Diversify the business.
Speaker 3: We're seeing block well liked up six percent as they just announced forty percent more than job cuts. Well, that's already because AI is making such a difference to the coding within the business and the software stack within also the ability to serve clients, and we're seeing profitability being guided higher at that particular company, Coinbase, though they're also announced layoffs earlier this week and revenue sinking. Clearly the turbulance in the crypto market is still hitting summer. Coinbas's metrics are off by more than a percentage point. DraftKings up two point eight percent. There was some relief in the numbers as they see revenue coming in some seventeen percent higher and some signs of growth when it comes to the predictions market. But let's stick with earnings more broadly.
Speaker 2: And shares.
Speaker 3: A right hailing company, well Lift, we're currently up two point one percent. That's called it after the company reported first called a profit. Actually, so there's some anxiety among Wall Street about the expectations, but it was all being ramped up by spending on international expansion. Maybe that's what was hitting in the near term, the profitability metrics. I've got to talk to the person who knows all Lift CEO, David Risher. Look, we've had a volatile trading day for Lift. There was some pressure as people worried about well, the amount that you're spending to grow, But you're managing to push back on that. You see to investor base that this is the right use of capital.
Speaker 9: I really think it is.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I mean, look, we had a record quarter, which is always wonderful, almost five billion in bookings. You bit up thirty seven percent year on year, one point one billion dollars of free cash flow.
Speaker 5: So that's great.
Speaker 9: So when you're in a position like that, that allows you to grow and grow even more. And as you noted, we've done some international acquisitions just in fact, one announced a couple of days ago get in the UK. Look, I think it's a great time to be frankly, the rights your business because we're a really important part of a lot of people's lives and we're growing.
Speaker 3: Like a weed, growing like a weed. Mandy Blueberg Intelligent Sort of saying that supply growth for lift perhaps is likely.
Speaker 2: To trail some larger peers.
Speaker 3: I mean, I talked to us about the adoption rate, the adoption rate of your offerings, but the adoption rate in particular of autonomous vehicles that you're starting to dabble in.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 9: So look, I think if you zoom, weigh in, you can always find little things, right. So we delivered about two hundred and thirty seven million rides this last quarter. That's a lot of rides, a lot of commuting rides, a lot of rides to the airport and so forth.
Speaker 5: Now, the quarter started.
Speaker 9: Off a little bit slow. There's some really intense storms, particularly in New York City where you live. As you know, that brought you ride share and beg share to.
Speaker 5: Sort of zero.
Speaker 9: So that was an early, you know, kind of headwind. But look, Valentine's Day, Saint Patrick's Day, Super Bowl, these were all all time highs. And then we had our highest ride month ever in March. So I think that there's a lot of reason to believe that there's still a huge, huge amount of growth here. And then, as you say, autonomous vehicles, that's a great product and that's going to be one of the next big kind of growth vectors up.
Speaker 3: Mart Mahine over Evercore really liking the fact that you've got a record six straight quarter in.
Speaker 2: Terms of active riders.
Speaker 3: But I think what he's liking to see is maybe consumer incentives to just moderate a little bit.
Speaker 2: Are you being able to do that, David.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we are.
Speaker 9: We've gotten a lot of you know, we think of it as a sort of leverage off of consumer incentive. And I'll tell you a particular thing that I'm starting to see more. I think if it is rewards maxing. Okay, so oh no, you've got right there, you go, there, you go. Be careful about where we're going to go with this one. So anyway, No, but look, we've got to deal with United right, which allows people to both earn points and also spend points on left. We have a deal with Hilton, we have an arrangement with alask Airlines. We have an arrangement with door Dash are super super important program there that just expanded to Canada. And so what we're seeing people do is they're you know, they're they're taking lift rides, they're earning points and they're spending them elsewhere, or they're even spending them back on our platform.
Speaker 5: And yeah, I think it's.
Speaker 9: Going to be a thing, and I think it's one of the reasons why we're seeing high margins sort of like black and luxury rides rise. Even with some consumer concerns. Still this rewards maxing thing, I think is working for people.
Speaker 3: Rewards maxing, of course is a play on all the maxing that we have. We looks maxing, all the tons of phrase that gen Z use.
Speaker 2: Is it gens? I mean, I mean, how much do you see?
Speaker 3: How much you seeing the idea of different age groups responding to your new offerings, because in many ways I see the more premium offerings coming to a to an older cohort, a more obviously a wealthier cohort, in many ways, a corporate cohort.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 9: I think that's something that's changing over time. I think, you know, back when I was, you know, early in my career, you know, you didn't have an Amex you know, platinum card or Chase Sapphire Reserve card until you're you.
Speaker 5: Know, old like me now. But no, it turns out.
Speaker 9: Actually a lot of kids, a lot of sort of gen Y gen Z folks are early in that ecosystem because they realize that there's a lot of value to be unlocked if they kind of play the game. And I think a lot of them think of it a bit of as almost to play in the game, like how can I how can I do this rewards maximine thing to be able to afford a lift black even when I'm in my in my twenties.
Speaker 3: Savvy is what they are, and I'm interested, David, and how savvy you are about the landscape for M and A.
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 3: You've made acquisitions, this is where you've been spending your money.
Speaker 2: Is there more to come?
Speaker 9: You know, you never say never about these things. It's always, you know, fool's game to predict M and A. But I will say that it's a part of our strategy. Now.
Speaker 5: We were not a very inquisitive company for a long time.
Speaker 9: But now that we've got you know, the fastest pickup times, great pricing, great service levels all around, we're really thinking of bringing that abroad. And that's really where our M and A focus has been is overseas.
Speaker 2: Any warries about the consumer right now?
Speaker 9: No, no, And I know that sounds glib. Of course, people are feeling some pain. Our drivers feel a lot of pain at the pump, and so that's why we were the first to get out there with a nice cash back program at the pump saves about a dollar a gallon. So you know, there are reasons, I think, of course, are to be concerned, but when we look at the data, you know, we're not seeing that play out.
Speaker 3: It's been a week where I feel that you haven't actually mentioned AI yet much. I mean, autonomous vehicles is inherently AI. How much there were your workforce using it, how much your workforce responding to having to use it? And is there any stretch at which point you are able to reduce your headcount or hiring on the back of it.
Speaker 9: You know, I love this question, and I think it's really important for people to sort of get their arms around this. Absolutely, are something like eighty six percent now of our developers, our software engineers are using actively, like every single day, using AI to write code for them. We're also using it in customer care. We're using all over the place. But I think there's a way of thinking about it which is not so much about cost reduction but about velocity increase and capacity building. You know, our imaginations are huge and we're a customer obsessed company, so we have no shortage of great ideas to innovate on behalf of customers. I think that's really where AI is going to give us a big edge.
Speaker 2: Not so much on this sort I mean cost.
Speaker 9: Sure, we can maybe save a little bit money, but there's so much more value if we can figure out new great ways for riders and drivers to use our platform.
Speaker 3: Is it a more competitive backdrop right now? To say one more time, is it a more competitive backdrop right now?
Speaker 9: Well, it is, you know, but only in the following sense.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 9: Remember there one hundred and sixty billion rides that people take in their private car every single year, and I think that's ultimately going to be the real competition for us. Look, it's fifty thousand dollars to buy a car eight hundred bucks a month plus insurance, plus gas, plus maintenance, whereas lift is you know, twenty bucks a ride. So in a funny way, I think the competition is going to shift a little away from the other guys and a little bit more towards what are good ways for you to spend your money and how can you live your best.
Speaker 2: Life and rewards?
Speaker 9: Max and rewards. Max exactly, I'm glad you picked up on.
Speaker 2: That I shouldn't have done. David H. We love having you on the show. Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Indeed, the CEO of Lyft coming up, we take a look at Enhanced. There's a Pewter teil back to elite sports competition and performance products company.
Speaker 2: It's gone public today.
Speaker 3: More Next, this is a Blue Beg Tech, an Olympic style sports event that welcomes performance enhancing drugs, set for.
Speaker 2: Later this month in Las Vegas.
Speaker 3: Today, the company behind that endeavor went public in a merger with a blank check company with Enhanced now as you see, trading up eight point eight percent following the transaction. One point two billion dollars in this back and has backing from like Sir Peter Tiill and former coinbased CTO Large Shunavessan.
Speaker 2: Now the company CEO now.
Speaker 3: Joins us Maximilian Martin from the Flora of the New York Stock Exchange.
Speaker 2: So go on public? Why why need it?
Speaker 10: First of all, hello and thank you to having me on the show today. We're going public because Enhanced there is a movement and we want the people in that movement not just to be part of it by watching the sports or buying enhancement products through a live enhanced platform, but by owning a piece of it too. This is why we've decided to go public and which we're very excited about having done and concluded the transaction today.
Speaker 2: So there's a is it a retail investment play? Here?
Speaker 3: More broadly, Maximilian, is it the people that you want to purchase not only the products so called longevity products maybe they're peptides, but also those who are then going to come and watch the enhanced games?
Speaker 10: Sorry, can you repeat the question? I didn't catch that fully.
Speaker 3: Is it a retail investor that you're most focused on?
Speaker 2: Ah?
Speaker 10: Yes, yes, so I think enhanced there's a stock opportunity is really for everyone, but I think particularly exciting for retail too, because sports traditionally isn't as investable for retail as it is for, for example, more institutional like players. This is why we're very excited about retail particularly getting focused on the opportunity that's ahead of them now with us listed on the exchange here.
Speaker 3: If you look at past media attention on the games, in particular people who sort of called it Olympics on steroids, Why is it not that from your perspective, Maximilian.
Speaker 10: Yeah, because steroids is a term that has very many negative associations with it. Many people associated with it to be also illegal, and that is not true for the setup that's been created at the Enhanced Games. What the athletes can actually take at the Enhanced Games are FDA proof substances under a doctor's supervision. And they also all independent of them enhancing or not, need to pass medical screenings that we do with them over time to determine whether they're ahealthy and be safe to compete. So steroids is really for people thinking about happening in the garage, in the backdoor locker room of a gym, etc. But that's not it. This is out all in the open with pleregulation around it that makes enhancements for the athletes, but then also the consumers that we offer it to safe.
Speaker 2: Fascinating.
Speaker 3: Your aim is to evolve mankind into a new super humanity. We'll have you back, Maximian Martin, thank you very much for joining us today. The CEO of Enhanced Now stable coins. They promised to make cross border payments cheaper and nearly instantaneous, but it remains a tiny part of the global payment system today, the Genius Act set to take effect and banks eyeing the space. The Wall Street Week team to a deep dive into whether the use of the blockchain technology is truly starting to scale.
Speaker 11: So you'll hear in the media the trillions of dollars of stable coin payments today. Ninety nine percent of that is crypto related, not the sort of payments we think about, which is company to company or even paying remittances person to person. And so we look at this situation today and say how much real payments volume is there out there, and we think it's probably the order of a billion or two a day, which is tiny. The late assessments we have are three hundred and ninety billion dollars in the total year, and that compares with several trillion dollars of regular payments per day.
Speaker 9: So a SMaL mart right now, how does it compare with last year, and how does it compare with forecast for next year.
Speaker 11: The data shows that the volume of real payment transactions using stable coins probably doubled over the last year. When you look at the volume of stable coins in circulation, that went from around one hundred and fifty billion dollars to three hundred billion dollars today it's doubling, which by any measure is substantial in terms of growth.
Speaker 5: How much of that is cross border international? Essentially? How much of it is domestic?
Speaker 11: The vast majority is cross border. It's interesting. We've been looking at the geographic source of those payments with our research partner, Artemis Analytics. What they founders about sixty percent originates from Asia, and that surprises a little bit because a lot of the talk has been in North America or Europe about the potential of stable coins.
Speaker 3: March the full Wall Street Week episode later today at six pm Eastern three pm Pacific time. Now, cybersecurity fears are sweeping through global campuses after hackers disrupted a portal used by thousands of colleges, including Harvin Princeton.
Speaker 2: Look Infrastructure, which.
Speaker 3: Runs the Canvas service used by students, was forced to suspend the system, sparking warnings that sensitive student data our messages may have been stolen for extortion. Earlier this hour, we understood that Cornell University said its own Canvas access has been fully restored. Three Mile Island, the site of the most famous US nuclear accident, is coming back online as soon as mid twenty twenty seven that's powered by a long term deal by Microsoft and Constellation Energy to power. Yes, you've guessed it, AI applications, chatbots, much more.
Speaker 2: Bloombergs.
Speaker 3: Wild Wade is here with any extraordinary deep dive into what has now been rebranded unsurprisingly, but remind those what three Mile Island means to many and why it's so important that comes back online.
Speaker 12: Okay, to many, it means nuclear disaster. Nineteen seventy nine, it was the site of the worst nuclear accident in US history. But let's keep in mind nineteen seventy nine was like a long time ago.
Speaker 2: No, last night.
Speaker 12: I actually told my son, Hey, I have this big story coming out on Three Mile Island.
Speaker 2: He's like, what's that?
Speaker 12: So for a lot of us it has a lot of meaning, but for younger people it has no meaning at all.
Speaker 2: Well, you don't talk about your job nearly enough at home.
Speaker 3: Quite clearly, it's a nuclear reporter reporting on the sector. Sin's twenty nineteen, when initially it was all about closures, You're now into this area where it's about reopenings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nuclear renaissance.
Speaker 3: What did you learn by going into what is the rebranded crane Clean Energy Center.
Speaker 5: You know what's really fascinating.
Speaker 12: And if you see the pictures on the story.
Speaker 2: Yeah it looks old, it doesn't.
Speaker 12: It looks really old schools because it is because it was like designed and built like the sixties and seventies, and so much of the US nuclear power plants date back to, you know, the last century, because we really haven't built very many of them at all. But right now there's just this insatiable demand for electricity from the big tech companies. It's for AI. It's all for AI. You know, a while ago they're like, we want nuclear because it's clean, it's going to help us save the world from climate change, and that sort of was a little bit of a motivation. But really the motivation now it's from tech, it's from AI. It's because there's money involved.
Speaker 2: A lot of money.
Speaker 3: I think thirty billion has been invested in nuclear since twenty twenty. But what about the waste, Like, what how has that changed since nineteen seventy nine, Well, that hasn't changed at all, So what are they going to do with it? They're going to do what they've always seen energy.
Speaker 12: If you go to any nuclear power plant, if you go out back, there's these giant casks where they store the waste. They've always been there, and there's been talk of creating a central repository in the US. It's been stalled for political reasons. So that's just not happening.
Speaker 3: So isn't it funny that the very edge of innovation is sort of being fueled by something that doesn't seem to be innovating for very much at tool we're relying on a nineteen seventy nine building. How is it innovating? How are we seeing SMRs come into play? Will we get a new type of nuclear offering?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 12: See, that's a good question. There is a lot of innovation in the nuclear space. There's companies developing all kinds of new reactor designs. There's new big ones, there's new small ones. There's new really really small ones. They want to put them on a shipping container and deliver them to military bases in the middle of nowhere. There's a lot of innovation. It's not here yet. I really do think it's coming. There's just so much motivation to make this happen. So what are we twenty twenty six, twenty thirty, twenty thirty, mid twenty thirties. I think we'll see some, but not for the next several years.
Speaker 3: It's wholly world of uranium in Richmond, and you've got so many amazing stories to tell about it. We'll wade here with us on the latest. You've got to go and read it the Big Take today. Now we're going to move on and talk about a key company behind Thailand's national AI effort, now.
Speaker 2: Called Obon Corp.
Speaker 3: It's suspected, though, of helping to smuggle servers containing advanced and video chips to China. That's according to sources who say some of the two and a half billion dollars worth of service sold by Obon obo n allegedly went to Chinese AI leader Ali Bubba. This comes as US officials are walking a pretty delicate line when it comes to the Trump administration's approach to Beijing. Earlier this year, the Pentagon added Ali, Baba and Baidu to a list of companies that aid the Chinese military, and then promptly declared the list unpublished. So Wilimag's tech editor in DC, Michael Shepherd, joins us now with this previously unreported details of what is happening with this so called blacklist.
Speaker 13: Well, Caro let's turn the clock back to that day in February. It was Friday the thirteenth. Then you and I on this program. We're trying to pick our jaws up off the floor, figuring out not only the import of this list being published, but the mystery behind why it was abruptly withdrawn minutes later.
Speaker 5: What was going on?
Speaker 13: What would that say about China policy. Well, our colleague Cato Keef here in Washington set out to find out the backstory, and it's revealing. It turns out that the Pentagon had withdrawn two names from the list. Dropped two names from the list Chinese chip makers YMTC and CXMT. They're producers of memory products that are really in demand these days, of course, as we know, and the White House of one of them kept on when the list was published, the names weren't there. The White House was furious. The Pentagon quickly moved to pull it back in. Since then, we have not seen this list republished, and in part because we are in such a delicate moment in this trade truce between Washington and Beijing. That's the one that President Donald Trump announced with Shi Jimping in Lei October after their meeting and of course they have a meeting coming up next week, and this is just the kind of misstep that really can upset the apple cart heading into such a high stakes encounter between leaders of the world's two largest economies.
Speaker 3: So let's think about next week, because there is talk that maybe even future rules of generative AI and the latest greatest LLM might be something's discussed by Treasures actually beston and others as reporting around that mind, how interested as.
Speaker 2: To what you think will be achieved and.
Speaker 3: What names will be announced or working together or working apart from each other?
Speaker 13: Well, it's a great question, Carol. And the war in Iran really has overshadowed any of the other initiatives that might be put on the table between presidents She and Trump as they sit down to talk. You know, absent the war, we might have seen more talk about access to American design chips, like from Nvidia and AMD. The President and his team have cleared the release of the H hundreds from Nvidia and comparable products from A and D for sales to China. But the big asterisk is that Beijing so far is really not letting too many of those products in and we haven't seen very many licenses issued from the US side either, so there is clearly some sort of a log jam and perhaps they could get to the bottom of that. Iran, of course, could stand in the way. And then there are the complaints from American AI developers Open Ai, Anthropic and Google that Chinese rivals have been distilling unfairly the results of their models to produce rival chatbots at a fraction of the cost. And this is prompted and outcry on Capitol Hill and also steps from the White House to try to rein in and address that practice. So we could also see that come up as well. And then of course there is the question of rarer scro which really lies at the heart of the conflict between the US and China.
Speaker 3: Well said most Mutch Sheppard a feeling we might be retricing some of those talks as we look ahead to next week too.
Speaker 2: With you.
Speaker 3: That does it for this edition of Boomberg Tech. Don't forget to check out our podcasts. You can find it on the terminal as well as online Apple, Spotify, iHeart wishing you.
Speaker 2: All a very wonderful weekend. See you Monday. This is Boomberg Tech