Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: I am here with the Jersey Mike CEO, Charlie Morrison. Charlie, thanks for doing Congratulations on listening today.
Speaker 1: Thank you. It's a great day for Jersey Mikes.
Speaker 2: I have to say I don't envy any CEO that has to list in this crazy market we're living right now.
Speaker 3: It has been quite volatile, and especially for a lot of your peers.
Speaker 2: I mean Sweet Green down four percent, Shakeshack down twenty four percent year to date, Wingstop also which you once led down forty four percent?
Speaker 3: So why was a middle of that? Why was now the right time to ipo?
Speaker 4: I think it's a great time to ipo Jersey Mikes. This is a brand that's been built over many, many years. We have a rich history of over seventy years, the last twenty years alone, the only brand that can cite twenty consecutive years of positive same store sales growth. We've been able to navigate the choppy waters over many, many, many times through our cycle. Even this year, year to date same store sales continue to grow. We've seen sequential improvement from quarter one to quarter two, exiting quarter two at two point three percent same store sales growth, most of that driven by traffic. So it's a great time to bring this brand to the market. We can deal with some of the challenges that are in there, but really it's for the long term.
Speaker 3: So this is the fundamentals look good heading into this.
Speaker 2: But was there ever a banker that was thinking, hey, Charlie, maybe now is not the time, maybe we need a way.
Speaker 3: For commerce waters not at all the full team ahead.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is a brand that's really well built for the public markets.
Speaker 2: What about the pricing, because shares have fallen initially down eight point seven percent, that they've come back of course, now down only about four percent. What do you think of the pricing? Was the pricing off perhaps and that's why we're falling today. Maybe valuations a little bit too pricely rich to richly priced.
Speaker 4: Rather, No, I don't think it has anything to do with the price, and I think a market's been a little choppy over the last few days trying to find its place. Again, we're not looking at today's price. We're not worried about this. We're worried about the long term and continuing to do what we do well, which is grow restaurants, grow our same store sales growth continue to deliver great value for our shareholders, and we know they're going to win over the long term.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about the long term because now with IPO pre proceeds in hand, what do you want to do with them? What are the opportunities for growth that you're.
Speaker 3: Going to be pursuing.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, we're a brand that is an asset light model, so we're a ninety nine percent franchise. We generate a lot of cash, we carry some debt. We're using the primary proceeds just to pay down our debt a little bit, so we get down below four and a half times are EBITDA and that's okay. Over time, we really will use our cash to return that capital back to shareholders, which is very much the common practice in a business like ours, and that'll be the continued pace over time.
Speaker 2: I know one of the growth strategies that you're pursuing these international expansion. You have big plans for the UK specifically, I know the market. I lived there for a while for about six years. They do this subway, so they know sandwiches quality might vary there, but they love like a Tesco's meal deal where they get a sandwich and.
Speaker 3: A bag of crisps as they would call it, for four pounds.
Speaker 2: How do you convince them and how are you certain that a British audience would like a Jersey Mics.
Speaker 4: Well, we know people all over the world enjoy sandwiches and sub sandwiches. Certainly, the market's been well established. What they don't know is the authenticity of how to really deliver a deli style sandwich right way the way we do it here in Jersey Mics. That's been part of who we are for the last fifty years. It's exactly what we're going to bring to the UK. We're going to bring the brand in its full force to the UK and look, we have a hot sub option as well, so our cheese steaks are hot subs. Other products will be anchored on the menu and we're going to do it in a high quality way. People want that kind of authenticity. Anything for the way, I mean one little thing, maybe we might bring salted beef to the protein mix and lineup. We know that's a big fan favorite overseas in the UK and so you might see that change. But otherwise it's gonna be authentically what we've been all about at Jersey Micros's.
Speaker 2: Love this subtle dig of they know subs out there, but like maybe not the real Deli style Charlie. Elsewhere here in the US there has been this real concern about the outbreak of silas FA and the concern about Iceberg lettuce. I know a lot of the majority of Jersey mic subs use Iceberg lettuce.
Speaker 3: Is your supply chain affected at all?
Speaker 1: We are not. We're not affected at all.
Speaker 4: In fact, we do buy wholehead Iceberg lettuce, but we buy it from primarily Selinas, California this time of year, none from Mexico. We actually take very good care of that product. We bring it in a whole head fashion. We peel the outer leaves off, wash it carefully, and actually shred it for our customers right there. And so we don't see any risk associated. That hasn't impacted our business.
Speaker 2: It maybe hasn't impacted your supply change. Hepotely said, the same thing. We source it somewhere else, But yesterday they pointed out it has impacted sales because the psychological concerns our consumers pushing back or maybe at least not asking for lettuce on their sandwiches.
Speaker 4: Well, every one of our sandwiches can be customized because we make it to order right in front of you. And so if a customer wants to opt out of all let us, that's fine with us. We'll accommodate that have made and then not really, I mean we've seen I mean we've been eating them for last two weeks on the road.
Speaker 1: We've been enjoying them.
Speaker 4: I think customers understand that the supply chain moves very quickly. The product's probably out of the supply chain and everything's fine.
Speaker 2: The credit card and debit card data that the Bloomberg team cracks tracks does show a little bit of slowing in July for Jersey Mike. Certainly still growing, but a slow down in that growth. What accounts for that? Then, if it's not the lettuce.
Speaker 4: Of it all, well, I think there's a lot going on in the marketplace right now. I wouldn't look to any one or two weeks as indicative. Lots of things kind of ebb and flow, and too often you can get too much data that'll point to two different things.
Speaker 1: But right now we haven't seen much of it.
Speaker 2: So summer sales have been strong. Maybe besides a little bit of July.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we haven't talked about anything about this particular quarter at this point. We certainly saw strong performance in the first quarter sequentially improving in the second quarter.
Speaker 1: We exited the second quarter on a.
Speaker 4: Strong note as well, and so we're going to continue to play our game and execute a game plan that is going to drive long term, sustainable same source sales growth.
Speaker 2: So I hate to do this to you, and I hope you don't check your social media mentions, but if you just look up Jersey mics, there is just a wide swath of people who say, ah, since you know, the Blackstone pe overlords came in, they've changed the sandwiches.
Speaker 3: They have, you know, shrunken size.
Speaker 2: People love to complain that like Pe comes and ruins their favorite sandwiches. Charlie, can you say here, definitively have the sandwiches change at all, quality or otherwise not as since you came into the.
Speaker 4: Hell not at all. That's just hype and social media. They like to pick on people for that reason. We haven't done nothing. I mean, I've been involved almost as long as Blackstone has.
Speaker 1: We haven't changed a thing.
Speaker 4: Why would we This brand has grown twenty consecutive years positive same source sales growth, we don't need to change the menu. We enjoy one of the lowest food costs in the industry. Our franchisees have some of the highest cash on cash returns in the industry.
Speaker 1: They want to grow and.
Speaker 4: Build more stores and they're going to do that, and so no need to change anything. We love this brand, we love the way we delivered the product, and we're going to continue to do it that way for a long time to come.
Speaker 2: On the cost because generally this market, if you track the macro data things like dairy meats, the prices have been rising.
Speaker 3: How have you been accounting for that? How do you keep your margins?
Speaker 4: Well, we have a very diverse lineup in our menu in terms of the proteins that we offer, so beef, chicken, pork, different products all within our menu, and we're able to balance that over time. So as one is high, like beef prices today, we focus on other parts of our business and we've been able to maintain that over time. We also have a very scaled supply chain over three thousand restaurants strong. We buy in very high volumes and able to handle that back to our franchisees in the form of a very low food cost around twenty seven percent of sales, which is industry leading.
Speaker 2: How about prices, Are you able to use that as a lever to charge more prices for higher prices for your sandwiches?
Speaker 4: Certainly, over time we do take price. Our long term algorithm is low single digit same store sales growth for this business that will be equally balanced between price and transaction growth. We air towards transaction growth. That's really how you grow the health of the business over time. We've taken some price as we've seen commodity inflation, not nearly as much as some other brands, and that quite frankly, is what's been fueling our growth this year and years prior compared to the rest of the concepts out there.
Speaker 3: All right, Charlie, that's all we have time for. Thank you so much and congratulations, ayeah pleasure.
Speaker 1: Thank you.