Speaker 1: Hey, guys, ready.
Speaker 2: Or not, twenty twenty four is here and we here at breaking points, are already thinking of ways we can up our game for this critical election.
Speaker 3: We rely on our premium subs to expand coverage, upgrade the studio ad staff give you, guys, the best independent coverage that is possible. If you like what we're all about, it just means the absolute world to have your support. But enough with that, let's get to the show. Good afternoon, everybody's twelve ten pm, especially the afternoon here on the East Coast. It's great to see everybody. We have an amazing show for everybody.
Speaker 4: Today.
Speaker 3: We're going to break down these landmark election results. Ap called the race around what like four in the morning or so. Ron Ryan and I were together around like two thirty in the morning, and that's when they called it. But that was Fox News. I think the APM I'll called it a little bit later than that. Just couldn't sleep, you know, it's a big day. So yeah, we've got a lot going on here and we're going to talk. We've got Logan by the way, House was put Logan up on the screen.
Speaker 5: Shout out.
Speaker 3: The audience loves logan. Loves the audience too, such.
Speaker 6: An essential part of the coverage last night. I don't know, I mean, I don't know what we would have done without you.
Speaker 2: Let okay, we all knew Logan was great with the numbers and like the election modeling. I did not know he would drop so many like deep philosophical table.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what I really didn't like. You brought something to the table I was not expecting.
Speaker 3: I'm extremely grateful Remultiple people to message me and say how they had no need to switch over to cable news, about how our coverage was actually better, how we were able to give people the data. No, but we were able to mix in the fun, the commentary, and we actually had the hard news, the data and Logan to contextualize everything. You know, it was crazy going to go more into that.
Speaker 2: When I got back to the apartment and it was after midnight, at one o'clock.
Speaker 1: Whatever, and like it was as clear as it could be.
Speaker 2: The writing on the like COMMA had lost and it was the landl blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: And MSMB still was still on there. The boats aren't all in.
Speaker 3: I got to say the screen Irrison for Cornick because Cornaky after Fox had called, PA was still like she's got an uppill battle ors look, I like Cornack, it's I don't think it was his decision. It was clearly probably like the you can't see decision desk. But the AP this was a big right wing thing last night, like call the States, called the States, and like.
Speaker 4: I mean, they're kind of right.
Speaker 6: But after though, after twenty twenty, but a lot of people in the right were like, you called that's true.
Speaker 3: I don't disagree like the direction, but I'm just saying, like, you know, if if you're being honest with your people, which we were, we were like, look, you know you have there's a two percent chance, I guess to Kamala theoretically wind like this thing is basically over. And that's what happened.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think that is the difference between like I don't know, net parts the network com where we're just like, you know, actually telling.
Speaker 3: You we're trying to be honest, just.
Speaker 2: Trying to be honest and candid. And speaking of that, there's a little bit of unfinished business.
Speaker 3: Oh where is it? Get the screenshot.
Speaker 6: It's ready, it's ready, it's ready.
Speaker 3: This actually happened. It happened it's happening. Are you guys happy? Are you happy?
Speaker 5: Not? Good?
Speaker 7: All right?
Speaker 1: I hate it's on the side of.
Speaker 3: It's a message of a pan ethnic working class coalition. That's what this is. My that's the story of this election, my story of.
Speaker 1: That unifying America.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're doing your job. You're doing a better job than Kamala Harris. You won't can see the election for a while, so.
Speaker 1: Like she's going to do it. Hillary's like the least story lines right now.
Speaker 3: And then she wink wink said it was putin And no, I don't disagree with you, but I'm saying I thought it was important that Hillary actually did do it in them in the morning. Okay, if you're initially so the country can just wake up. You can see the speeches.
Speaker 2: I should have done it, and she does herself note favors, but also not present company, excluded those on the right who were perfectly fine with Donald Trump, just like actively lying about the election results up to this day to be like you should have done it at eight a m.
Speaker 1: Instead of four pm.
Speaker 8: Trump has still the army still not conceived.
Speaker 3: Guys, we're still waiting. A common waiting that Ryan and I heard last night, is Trump is now the third is now the first since FDR to three pete in there? I got, honestly did I laughed? There was funny. All right, sorry, you can take it off, right?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 5: I wait?
Speaker 8: And so actually Trump is ineligible for this time because he was really the pro That's right.
Speaker 3: So that was so that's real live, that's good. That's some good high I Q stop to Steel. You're right, you were the past, right, you gotta go to the superid court. Course you're like you have been, you have been excluded. You have officially violate what is it the twenty second Amendment? I think that's one of those. You have violated the twenty second Amendment. And it's over all this thing, and now Ja d Vans going to be the president. What a horrible outcome. I mean, just gon awful for this.
Speaker 5: Anyway, there you go.
Speaker 3: Let's get back, Let's get serious.
Speaker 1: All right, So what do we got here for?
Speaker 3: We're going to start with, well, we're going to do the maps first to show everybody where everything's so logan.
Speaker 2: Can you go through where we ended up in terms of the electoral college and you know what the states were still officially waiting on and all of that good stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think the control room is doing the board. So guys, can you put up the national election results? There we go. So we got two hundred and eighty six electoral College votes that have been called so far for Donald Trump. It looks like he's what he's going to end up with three twelve almost certainly. You've got Michigan and Arizona, which are both going to eventually end up in the Trump category. More importantly is actually the national popular vote figure Donald Trump now officially what the second for the first Republican since two thousand and four to win the national popular vote? And actually, one interesting thing is it turnout is significantly down for both of these figures. Right, So Harris comment in only it's sixty six million votes or sixty seven million votes. Even Donald Trump overlate's seventy one million. That's well below the margin or the number that he got.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is fact.
Speaker 3: Take twenty twenty twenty was an anomaly. It's like, I'm not disputing you go ahead, Logan, Yeah, yeah, I think.
Speaker 4: I mean he's got to think about it.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 10: For most Americans, politics, or at least a sizable number of them, politics is as important to them, right, it might have a big implication in their lives, but they're not thinking about it. And so when you have an election where government is put front and center in their face in a way like it hasn't been before, both with the economic challenges and COVID and the balance of safety from the disease and security of rights, right, people are way more engaged in that election than they've been ever since or what they've been before and probably for a long time coming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was kind of a unique moment in American history.
Speaker 1: For sure.
Speaker 2: It looks like a lot of the Senate races are still you know, still not officially called.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they they're trending in that direction. So like McCormick is almost certainly going to pull it out in PA. I mean, if you guys could put that up there, for example, on the screen, let's put Pennsylvania Senate because that's one of the most important ones there for GOP. You can see he's got a pretty good lead of what is that, like fifty thousand votes or so, and there's just not enough they're coming in that they're projecting to be able to call it. It probably won't be called I think for maybe another day or.
Speaker 1: Two ninety two. I mean, I genuinely don't know what's left.
Speaker 3: This is just the people I spoke to ear today, they were like, we're absolutely confident about this. You know, actually the shock of the night in the Senate could be in Nevada if we want to put that one up there. Sam Brown is looking pretty good for him right now. Yeah, there you go. I mean that's that. So nobody predicted that Jackie Rosen was going to come even close to this, but yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: I feel like Jackie Rosen might pull that off though, because the last thing that comes in is the mail.
Speaker 3: Is the mail in votes just posted park to a lunch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you know, they say they estimate there's still one hundred and thirty six thousand votes outstanding, and they're separated by a few hundred votes. I think there's still a good chance she pulls that one out.
Speaker 3: What do you say?
Speaker 10: I think so too, if it's the same vote patterns last time. I also want to completely give up on on Casey. I mean, it looks like there's a disproportionate amount of vote coming from Philadelphia and Pittsburg, which is obviously going to be better. There not to the point that I would think he'd be out right favored. You know, there's one thing to be good at to like if you're following this electoral map to a degree, like you can get it, but like the election day version is so much harder in terms of like sometimes what is left in the vote if it's mail and versus in person versus really just be different even jen what we're seeing in the county so far.
Speaker 4: So it's hard to know this with comp Well, I'm looking.
Speaker 2: At these results that we have right for can you guys click on Philadelphia again to show there they say there's still one hundred and thirty seven thousand votes outstanding in Philadelphia.
Speaker 1: So it does give me a s in Philadelphia by he's winning by twenty points. Wait, now there we go six fifty nine point.
Speaker 8: Leave the mess, so that that picks him up another what fifty thousand?
Speaker 2: Yeah, down by he's down overall by about fifty thousand votes. And so it's yeah, I mean alligating County, which is Pittsburgh, which another Democratic stronghold, is not one hundred percent in So I wouldn't you know, I wouldn't call it McCormick. Yeah, for sure, it makes sense to me why they have those ones outstanding. It looks like right now and I got this is the subject to the same analysis of who knows what's still out there. Slatkin is narrowly ahead in Michigan, and.
Speaker 3: It does look like she might be able to pull it.
Speaker 1: Bald narrowly ahead in Wiscon.
Speaker 3: She declared victory, and oh did she. Jimmy Baldwin. Tommy Baldwin is declared victory, which is kind of early.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Again obviously, yeah.
Speaker 6: So the reason to do that, obviously is to get ahead of any you know, kind of momentum, any of that sort of stuff. But what I'm hearing from people who are working on this on the Senate side with Republicans is that they're going to recount. It's sort of like thee when they have to go out to Nevada for the recount. Everyone remembers that they're they're planning on recount.
Speaker 3: Recount is concerts usually triggered at point five? Right, is that it's a.
Speaker 1: Different per state.
Speaker 2: Every state has different automatic recount numbers that they go by, and Arizona Kerry Lake seems to continue to be like uniquely putting you I.
Speaker 3: Will say the margin is nowhere close to what the vote was alleged in the polls, Like take a look at that, you know, fifty percent for Reuben Diego. Lake is clocking in here forty seven.
Speaker 2: But she also significantly, I mean what winning the state by So I mean that is a significant underperformance by Kerry Lake. And actually that's one of the I mean, we can get into our bigger takes up we could go through to start with, I guess House control as well, which is still not settled, but looks like it's trending towards republic.
Speaker 3: It looks like what is a D plus what's the projection? Yeah, so ninety five percent. Decision desk is projecting there for two ten and one ninety three. There's still several outstanding races. Logan, you want to go through those before we get to the Trump speech. So just by the way, Control Room, please queue that up and have it ready to go whenever we call for it.
Speaker 10: Go ahead, Logan, Yeah, we're mostly doing a lot of these districts that are outstanding are ones on the West coast California in particular, and they.
Speaker 2: Take a long time because they wait for mail in ballots. To come in as long as they're postmarked as an election.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Mike roci Ken, Galvert, they could be potentially in some trouble. Looks like Democrats might have done okay in these races. There's a race in the Iowa first that's down to R plus zero point one.
Speaker 4: Looks like Scott Perry.
Speaker 10: Is going to narrowly hang on, although he's going to be at the top of the target list for next cycle. If it's like a traditional midterms and Dems do well, he could be at risk. He's up by about one point six, we'll probably finish out there.
Speaker 4: Still pretty close.
Speaker 10: In Washington District third, Marie Perez is up by four points. So basically what we have here left is that Democrats need to just do well in the rest of these districts and win the lions share. You know, it doesn't look like this is like a great cycle for the European terms of the House in terms of pickups, but they did what they needed to do. They've played better defense and the races they were supposed to win, and that might not sound like much, but you know, the key to winning House races or House majority is to just win a small percentage of the ones that you have a shot in, but you're underdogs in right, right, we.
Speaker 1: Don't talk about keys anymore.
Speaker 3: Yea, the keys are dead missing for so many of the gurus are dead. Which that's let's save some of that. So logan we wanted to throw to you while we have a guest which is loaded in here, Congressman Rocanna, to just go over some of the maps and maybe some of the other things that we were talking about. Maybe you could look at some of the swing counties. I know that there's a what was it Northampton County? Is it Northampton? Is that right? In Pennsylvania? It's correctly called the winner in Pennsylvania in every election since nineteen seventy two, and I do believe that Donald Trump actually won it along with some of the other more suburban counties in pa. Is it Northampton? I'm pretty sure in Northampton?
Speaker 10: Northampton went two point two percent for Trump, which is about what the margin looks like.
Speaker 3: It's they got their perfect record nineteen seventy two, I think seventy.
Speaker 4: I know, it's like one of there's only like four left or something.
Speaker 3: The new work there you go, that's the new keys, because every single person all one hundred and seventy four thousand next time, and that is unbelievable. Yeah, and then there's also Bucks County and PA, which I believe Donald Trump won for the first time for Republicans win in nineteen eighty eight. Yeah, I saw that this morning. I'm not one hundred percent sure, but yeah, you're a point five Wow the forty nine point eight forty nine point three.
Speaker 10: Ninety five percent reporting, So that might we'll see if that stays.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that's I mean, yeah, some of this. What was the final vote count in Georgia, I never actually saw what the margin was. Was it anywhere close.
Speaker 1: To point two points?
Speaker 4: Okay? So yeah, I mean like margin there.
Speaker 10: Yeah, this is still a lot closer than the average president and race twenty thousand.
Speaker 4: It just feels bigger.
Speaker 10: Because Trump doesn't has done this before, but anyone a popular vote. Yeah yeah, So, I mean it's a clear win for him, but it's not the type of win you can't come back from. I mean, LBJ one in one of the biggest landslides in history, and then four years later Nixon won in one of the biggest landslides in history. So I think the biggest problem here, right, for Dems. Is people are on statis side if the status quo, and they didn't feel like Harris was going to be able to change that. Yeah, and they didn't feel like she had a plan that would push things different direction.
Speaker 4: And it's really hard to run as a VP. Honestly, a lot of these VP candidates lose.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true. Good point you've had. Who are the successful ones? Just we have HW and.
Speaker 4: That was coming on, like we're about to win the Cold War.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, it was a very unique moment in history. Caucus. Well, but it's still way too close. You know if you consider ninety six to compare to the two thousand map as a joke in terms of democratic.
Speaker 10: Yeah, those stats get way better if you give al Gore the wind. So like without al Gore having that win, like.
Speaker 4: It looks really dark. But yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Mean I think she did herself no favors.
Speaker 2: It was so obvious from the beginning that you have to separate from Piden, like this man is profoundly a.
Speaker 3: You clip is going to go down at history. Really it was a critical.
Speaker 8: It was, and then she had several other opportunities. It was still still gave basically the same.
Speaker 2: Nonsense, an obvious direction to go into with his word policy, which is incredibly unpopular, Like it could be like I would do things differently, which you know, but she was unable to separate from him. And then I think the other thing that you know, people like us, I think see fairly clearly what the Democratic Party won't talk much about is they should have had a primary.
Speaker 1: They don't have had a democratic process.
Speaker 2: And in their terror and desire to quote unquote save democracy, they were like, we can't have any democracy interfere with our efforts to save democracy. And they really, they really screwed themselves in that way.
Speaker 3: Oh there's no question. And I mean, Chrystal, do you are you like blackpilled on the idea that even the big d Democratic Party like won't take that away? They have to from this. The primary wasn't you know? Lack of primary was a disaster, not only in the Mary Ann Williamson sense, but in the quote unquote many I mean you even had Clyburn calling for.
Speaker 2: A mini I think remember, I think what they will take away from that is we should install a different type of.
Speaker 8: Different type, just a different name, different name.
Speaker 2: I I do think that they'll be like we just can't run women, you know, but not going to do that anymore. And so and you know, can't be California, can't be too liberal, can't be too woke.
Speaker 1: So I think they'll just learn.
Speaker 2: Lessons for themselves about the future candidate that they will then want to hand pick and select, rather.
Speaker 1: Than like, hey, maybe the voters have some say in this.
Speaker 2: Crazy process, because that just feels too wild to leave it to the whims of the voters.
Speaker 3: Right, What do you think, Ryan, how do you think that the big takeaway will be from like the major Democratic elite.
Speaker 8: I don't know. It's going to be interesting to watch it.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen a single word yet from Pelosi from it. I mean, I guess. I mean, so that's part of the problem.
Speaker 8: The first impulse is to blame the voters.
Speaker 3: Yes, or is it to blame Russia? In all seriousness? Is it to blame Russia?
Speaker 1: Because I don't think they have that.
Speaker 3: They don't have it in them anymore. They're demand they've been defeated.
Speaker 1: It's just hard. I know different.
Speaker 2: I know there's different, Like take a million takes out there, and we're going to get to like, you know, different blaming this or that demographic group, et cetera.
Speaker 1: But when the shift went against you with like every how can you do.
Speaker 3: That with Jews and with Muslims? How incredible is that?
Speaker 2: Actually it looked at me like their numbers held up sort of better with Jewish hoters than almost anybody else.
Speaker 1: But you know, which is also but anyway.
Speaker 8: Makes Trump so angry.
Speaker 2: But if you look at this kind of across the board nationwide shift, you can't be like it was the Muslims in Dearborn's fault or whatever, because it was it was the blanket national phenomenon. So I think you have to do some level of, you know, deeper analysis from that. You don't have a gym, come me to blame this time around.
Speaker 1: You do have sexism. They'll they'll be a little bit of.
Speaker 2: Of that, for sure, But I do think there will be a little bit more angstying and analysis.
Speaker 1: And I think that leads to just like she was too liberal, we need to move right.
Speaker 2: That's that's always the analysis, right, That's always what they can to.
Speaker 3: I could see that all right, Uh, well, how are we doing on the guests control room? Any any news? Okay, we are loading him in now, so.
Speaker 2: Great son of course with California, really interested to speak.
Speaker 1: With him about you know, his analysis is.
Speaker 2: One who has been pushing the Democratic Party at times to talk more about economic issues and you know, embrace more economic populism. So perfect guests to have today to hear his takes on what the hell happened party yesterday? Apparently all right, well, I don't have enough.
Speaker 1: Intro to.
Speaker 3: I'm running on three hours of sleep here for the woop heads, I've got a three percent recovery. That's what we're currently working with in terms of that. Let's see what we can what can we vamp on. We've got Kamalaw's concession speech at four. What do you guys think she's going to say? You know, this is a huge question. Well she here with Biden. That's a big question. You know, I just Biden. So then why has I mean Biden needs to do? Which was my personal favorite moment from twenty sixteen, if you'll remember, Emily, when Obama was like you just go off the phone, President Trump and Valerie Jarrett is in the White House, Colonnade just weeping, socket docking, all of the other Obama staffers just literally in tears sitting behind President Obama. That's indelibly burned into my memory. But actually we do have the We do have the Congressman, so let's try and bring him in over here. Right, Hey, are.
Speaker 5: You guys Crystal? Where's your maga?
Speaker 3: Had already already?
Speaker 5: Wait?
Speaker 3: You want to see that?
Speaker 5: You don't know?
Speaker 3: If you want that, I'll send you one in the mail.
Speaker 1: Here it is there, it is. Thanks.
Speaker 2: So, I mean, Congressman, just the first question is what do you think happened?
Speaker 9: Well, look, it's going to take a long time, but I think one clear message is we need a cleaning of the house. I mean, the people are sick of the establishment.
Speaker 5: They're sick of the same old folks running the party.
Speaker 9: The second thing is, I don't think we spoke to people's economic grievances and anxieties them and we go speak to blends and then people first have to hear them they got shafted for fifty years, that corporations offshore jobs, that the system isn't working for them.
Speaker 5: And then we can go into both parties.
Speaker 9: We're part of this problem, and here's why we have a better vision than the other side.
Speaker 5: And here's what we're gonna do.
Speaker 9: Even though we had a lot of good economic policy. I just don't think we got that emotional narrative of meeting people where they are, and we've got to do a better job. And then we can't be the party of war. We got to, you know, be the party that's opposed to these wars.
Speaker 8: Are you hearing that from other colleagues? Do they understand that the Democrats are becoming the party of war and the party that doesn't take economic grievances?
Speaker 4: Seriously?
Speaker 5: I think it's going to be a long conversation.
Speaker 9: You know, one consulted to text in me, which I thought was actually emblematic of our problem, saying, oh, well, what the Democrats really need to do is a run of white male like Jimmy Carter Peanut former because we obviously aren't connecting in rural America and that they're not. They were just sexist and racist, and I was like, this is exactly missing the point, Like, you can't blame the American voters, like start by looking at yourself. These are all people in areas that voted twice for Barack Hussein Obama, So like, what has what has gone wrong?
Speaker 5: Why are we not connecting? Why are we not listening? Why are we not? Why do they feel a disconnect from us?
Speaker 9: And instead of pointing the blame and sort of stereotyping these voters, how about we do some introspection at the same time, I think this Republican celebration is a bit premature. I mean, anytime you have one of these elections, people say that there's a permanent realignment, and usually what happens is the other side wins in the mid terms or the subsequent election. Totally such discontent against the status quo. So I also don't think we should be, you know, overly despairing. We're going to come back in twenty six and twenty eight and build a majority again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I totally understand that nobody's writing permanent obituaries here or anything like that. I'm curious for your thoughts. We were talking about a primary and some of the mistakes that have been made here in the race. In retrospect, you think it was a mistake not to have a primary, both for Joe Biden and after Joe Biden dropped out of the race.
Speaker 5: I think it was a mistake retrospectation and made that decision after the transition.
Speaker 9: In an open process, it would have given people the time to really get to know the candidate and given the candidate an ability to bond with the American people. And I you know, people say, well we didn't spend enough time in rural America.
Speaker 5: Well you had one.
Speaker 9: Hundred days, right, Whereas if you are forced to spend two years, then you go to a lot more places, you buy, you know, you have a lot of spontaneous interactions. Well, the open Convention, you know, I was agnostic on that. I just don't think having a two week twent hales DNC, which has still been picked by DNC delegates, which are all Biden delegates, you know. I mean, I could have be talked either way, but I don't think that was the problem.
Speaker 5: The problem was it was such an abridged one hundred day spread.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And Congressman, in terms of where Democrats go from here and what lessons maybe they take about things that went wrong in the selection cycle, I want to get your thoughts on some of these results that we're just seeing in California with Prop thirty six, Prop thirty three with George Gascone in La County. Is there any lesson here seriously for Democrats about maybe some of these cultural issues. It's it's sort of unfair to categorize them just as cultural issues. They're very much kitchen table issues for people in La County, for people throughout California. But what lesson should Democrats take from that, if any, about maybe swinging too far left on some of those issues over the last several years.
Speaker 9: I think it's a lesson of common sense and being reasonable. I mean, you're being reasonable to make understand families want to be kept safe and that if someone breaks into a Walgreens that there has to be prosecution.
Speaker 5: It doesn't mean you throw them.
Speaker 9: In jail for a long time, but there you can't just be like, Okay, you could keep breaking in and nothing happens to you. You know, I was staying alone in the transition. I went a week ago on Megan Kelly's show podcast because they said, come on and make the case for the vice president, and Megan Kelly gave me one minute to do that and then have a conversation with Edition for thirty and I change my position. I said, look, I believe that people who are trans shouldn't be bullied, and should people.
Speaker 5: And you know, at least up through.
Speaker 9: A school they should have we should be inclusive, but there are concerns on people's safety, and there's concerns about fairness and competitiveness.
Speaker 5: There have to be standards about that. And my point is, I think.
Speaker 9: There are ways to talk about these issues that don't make us compromise our positions, but don't make us people think, well, if they don't fully agree with where Democrats are, that somehow they're bigoted or they're looked down upon. I think we have to engage with a reasonable this a thoughtfulness and convince people that that we're doing it in good faith.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, congressmen, we really appreciate your time. We will hope to see you again soon. I know. I'm sure you're gonna have a lot to say after this race.
Speaker 5: So thank you, well, thank you. I'm sure you guys are going to have a lot to say. I'll tell you they have on program.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we agree, we agree with you, all right, make it happened next time, maybe they'll actually listen to her. Thank you, Thank you, sir, appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Thanks.
Speaker 3: We're going to talk a little bit now about the media reaction to Donald Trump's victory last night. There were a couple of fun clips that were making the rounds. So we're going to start first with Jake Tapper over at CNN, who is genuinely like jaw drop stunned when John King tells him that Kamala Harris did not perform better in a single county in the entire United States. Keep in mind this was at the time that they were looking at the map, but nonetheless, definitely tells us a little bit of the story of what happened last night. Let's take a listen to that.
Speaker 9: So you asked, are there any places that the vice president is overperforming Joe Biden in twenty twenty, So we can show you that as well.
Speaker 11: We just bring that out here, Harris overperforming twenty twenty.
Speaker 4: Holy smokes, there you go.
Speaker 7: So let this go away and see if there's anything in.
Speaker 5: The East Side.
Speaker 8: There literally nothing, literally nothing, literally not one county.
Speaker 2: That's pretty shy, like there's not a single locale, were.
Speaker 3: You Yeah, so that is great. Yeah, so apparently there are a few counties now that the ballots have been tallied. That's what the community notes and all those stuff. But the point stands. Nonetheless, I mean, one of the things that we talked about in our after action segment was Donald Trump literally improved a position in forty eight out fifty states. Okay, that's freaking crazy. He won the popular vote, he ran up the table in all of the and not only in all the swing states, but increased his margin in the deepest blue states. And like with all demographics, basically, I believe whenever you look at the overall exit polls, so all of that is quite shocking, and of course.
Speaker 2: Is according to the one I saw. She improved with advanced degree women.
Speaker 3: Oh, I mean, who a box? I cannot forget about the piece.
Speaker 6: How can you even improving with those numbers?
Speaker 1: She went from ninety seven percent ninety You know that.
Speaker 3: Plays lock the ultimate childless cath ladies, as all four of the people here know for who they are, all right, but that.
Speaker 1: Identity politics, Oh well, give them Trump's victory.
Speaker 3: I think I'm all in on advice about any politics. But anyways, in terms of democracy and what that all means and looks like for so, you could look at a Trump popular vote victory as a victory for so called small D democracy because its quite literally winning in an election. Or you could say that the American people have given up on democracy. That's what Jonathan K. Part had to say over on PBOs News Hour, Let's take a listen.
Speaker 12: With a sense of humility, simply because you know, Poles don't vote. People vote, and so in elections we finally get to hear what the American people have to say. And I've come to this election with an open mind, and I want to know what the American people.
Speaker 4: Have to say.
Speaker 12: What was it six hours ago? I was mystified by what was what was going on? And now I can't help but think that if this selection seems to be if it proves out that the millions of people who are watching Fox News, if that ends up being being the case, then I can't help but wonder if the American people have given up on democracy simply because of what he's told us, what he wants to do, simply because of what the Supreme Court decided in terms of immunity. I mean, he has said he will he wants to go after his political enemies.
Speaker 7: I am your retribution.
Speaker 12: So if indeed what Fox is reporting, if that ends up being true and ends up being the case, then this conversation about who we are as a country, I was gonna say it, will you know, pop off in earnest, but I think we will have an answer.
Speaker 2: You guys aren't gonna like my take. I actually think that he's kind of correct.
Speaker 3: I was going to say the same thing.
Speaker 1: Here's here's here's the thing. I mean.
Speaker 2: I do think both on the right and the left, there is some chunk that I have an authoritarian instinct. We've seen that, you know, in terms of the Democratic Party with them being like, yeah, it's fine, you don't have to have a primary, like just tell us.
Speaker 1: Who to pick, right, You see that.
Speaker 2: You see that with the clamoring for censorship, which by the way, is very clearly a bipartisan thing. And I mean you also see it, and yeah, this guy genuinely tried vociferously to overturn the election.
Speaker 1: He still has not admitted that he lost.
Speaker 2: And so it's not zooming out from our particular political time. When you have times of turmoil, chaos, economic uncertainty, change, you know, structural shifts in terms of like the national economy, the global all of those things breed among some people the sense of like I just want someone to come in and fix it. Trump literally was like I'll be dictator for a day, and you're like, we want you to do that.
Speaker 6: But here's here's the Here's a significant point in Crystal's column. Here, this is Will Chamberlain, who's been on the show debating. He said, and he is very connected in Trump circles. He said, quote there's going to be a lot of talk about Trump needing to quote extend the olive.
Speaker 3: Branch all caps.
Speaker 6: No, if he had lost, he would have been jailed and for a support of Trump, Elon likely would have been bankrupted and jailed. Those who launched the law fair must be held accountable. He doesn't need to persecute random democrats. He does need to ensure that his DOJ investigates Fonnie Willis, Nathan Wayet, Alvin Bragg, Letitia James Jacksmith, and Merrick Garland.
Speaker 8: Well, okay, Saric Garland.
Speaker 1: Is saved by delaying exactly.
Speaker 8: Go ahead investigating.
Speaker 3: This is almost like an academic argument between like capital d democracy and like Smaldy, like the guy won the election, and not only do you win the election, won the popular bark like that's it's game over in terms of if that's what the voters want, then that literally is democratic. Now you can have like so called like democratic authoritarianism but even in this.
Speaker 1: Place you having, like Hungary for example, kind.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but the thing is they like it. Like I've been to Hungary, there's not opposition.
Speaker 1: That's the point.
Speaker 2: That's the point that he's making is that, yeah, they know, like it's not like they don't know that he has these like authoritarian tendencies and they like it and they're voting for it.
Speaker 1: But I think that's what he's saying.
Speaker 3: But that's I mean, that's kind of what I'm saying, is like.
Speaker 2: That is they're democratically voting for authoritarianism.
Speaker 3: They are democratically voting for a strong executive. I mean, by the way, like the EPF, you go back and you read I guess the book's not long behind me about freedom from Fear. When FDR was elected, they actually wanted him to be a genuine dictator. They were like, let's burn the Senate down and get rid of this the Supreme Court bullshit, and let's just let the president be a monarch. And most people were totally fine with that. He was a good president, right, I mean, American people wanted that. That's a big question. Why it comes down to, like the academic like democratic checks and balances institutions versus the you know, so called like strong executive. But to say the American people have giving up on democracy, I think it's just incorrect. What they have, what they have given up on I think here, or I guess in this case is like elite neoliberal rule, which is the one you know, thorough thread throughout our entire conversation in the last several hours, and so like how they decide to rule with that, how they decided to go.
Speaker 1: There is a genuine rise.
Speaker 2: And I don't want to make this a partisan point because I don't think it's actually a partisan strictly partisan phenomenal, although I do think that there's probably a higher degree of like acceptance of.
Speaker 1: Authoritarianism on the right.
Speaker 2: But as I said, I think there is a sense that, like this is too messy. I just need someone to come in and make my life like simple and make the decisions and be the daddy for the country. And like that is a real phenomenon, and it is part of the Trump phenomenon.
Speaker 3: That's fair.
Speaker 8: It's what do you think, It's been part of the right for hundreds of years. That's like what the right has.
Speaker 1: Been about, Like we can't let the we can't let the rabble.
Speaker 3: Sometimes the rabble who wanted the right in power? Yeah anyway, sure, yeah, absolutely, saying you know Napoleon the third who was whatever. Let's move on.
Speaker 2: Let's move on, all right, like, maybe one more of these because we got the mayor coming up here very quickly.
Speaker 1: So which one is your which one is your favorite?
Speaker 3: Between joy Read and the View.
Speaker 8: There's also that Trump clip that I put in there for the mayor.
Speaker 3: No, that's for the mayor. Oh, we have time for two clips. Okay, let's let's roll them back to back. Let's get joy Read and then let's get the View, and let's roll those back to back. Let's start with joy Read.
Speaker 13: I think it's important to say that, you know, anyone who has experienced or been in the United States for any period of time and experience.
Speaker 1: This country's history and knows it.
Speaker 13: Cannot have believed that it would be easy to elect a woman president, let alone a woman of color.
Speaker 3: Let's just be.
Speaker 13: Clear, and nothing that was true yesterday about how flawlessly this.
Speaker 3: Campaign was run is not true now.
Speaker 13: I mean, this really was an historic, flawlessly run campaign. She had Queen Latifa never endorses anyone She came out, you know. I mean she had every prominent celebrity voice she had. She had the Taylor Swifty to the Swifties.
Speaker 3: She had the bee Hive. Like, you could not.
Speaker 13: Have run a better campaign in that short period of time.
Speaker 3: And I think that's still true.
Speaker 14: I'm surprised at the results, but I'm not surprised. As a woman of color. I was so hopeful that a mixed race woman married to a Jewish guy could be elected president of this country. And I think that it had nothing to do with policy. I think this was a referendum of cultural resentment in this country.
Speaker 2: Well I thought Queen Lativa would have sailed to do Yeah, that's right, lawless campaign. Right, It's just like it's beyond caricature, the idea that like we're going to do everything we can to learn nothing from this experience. And again like of course blame the voters. And let's not to say, like, you know, I do think that there is a we've never elected a woman. I think it is a challenge. I think there are some like biases there that we do have to grapple with as a country. But to put it all on that is just to set yourself up for another defeat, because you never learn the lessons from the defeats that are mated out. It did remind me also my Peers More Going to appearance. Had Franklins come on for like an interstitial, Yeah, some good comments, but he also made this comment about like she needed to get Taylor Swift to come out and do concerts with her across the Midwest.
Speaker 5: It was like what it was?
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, that was the key, that was what she was missing out on, and she didn't have enough celebrity endorsers that was the problem.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that is so funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm just thinking about the I mean, look, I think this is going to be the big media question, you know, to what extent that they're going to run with this. So I did for my own entertainment put Morning Joe on the moment that I woke up, it was like seven thirty or so, and it was wild on there. I mean, Joe was losing it in terms of he had a whole three minute long monologue which I can't even play all of that.
Speaker 2: I mean he should, but he should because his ideology, yeah, which is the neoliberal on the Republican side and now on the Democratic side.
Speaker 1: It was thoroughly.
Speaker 3: It has been reputed, and you could see he was shook.
Speaker 1: So he be shock.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, like, you know, much more his ideology than you know anyone at this table was really thoroughly rebuked.
Speaker 1: And there's kind of no way around that. Now.
Speaker 2: I know their cope is all the wokeism or whatever, but I think they have to.
Speaker 8: They're the ones that elevated the woke fact.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's exactly right.
Speaker 3: When he's like, I'm worried about cancel culture on college campuses, Joe Scarborough, I'm like, bro, who were the people you were elevating in twenty seventeen throughout? Like get out of here, man, Like you know what was going on over there. So anyway, the entire thing is is ridiculous. We wanted to give you guys a flavor of the cope that is flying out there.
Speaker 2: We are very fortunate to be joined today by Mayor of de Lahamoud, Mayor of Dearborn, Michigan, which of course is a city that came in for a lot of attention this presidential election cycle.
Speaker 1: Great to see again, Mayor, Great to be with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, so you decided ultimately though you're a Democrat not to endorse in the race versus Kamala Harris versus Donald Trump. Why did you make that decision and what do you make ultimately of the results in your city.
Speaker 11: Ultimately, my decision not to endorse stemmed on an issue of policy. We wanted a presidential candidate who would distance themselves from Benjamin Eataniau and the ongoing genocide that's not only now in Palestine but expanding in Lebanon. You know, I'm of Lebanese origin and descent, so is my wife of Lebanese and Palacinian descent. Today almost every resident I know in this city has had a family member or loved one killed, injured, or displaced. And so when you see the election results, and I just put out my message earlier, I think the first thing to note is no votes are promised to any party or to any candidate.
Speaker 7: Votes must be earned first and foremost.
Speaker 11: Especially from a community that is suffering directly from a genocide. And I think that was the message that was sent loud and clear. The anti genocide candidates lost in the city of Gearborn were excuse me, the pro genocide candidates lost in the city of Dearborn, where those pro justice anti war candidates were the one were successful in the city deer Once. If you looked at Congressman to Leave, she won. You look to a local state representatives they won. You looked to our Supreme Court justices, the Democratic.
Speaker 7: Candidates they won.
Speaker 11: It was the US Senator who won by a very slim margin, the Democratic senator and obviously Vice President Harris who lost.
Speaker 3: Very interesting, I mean, start looking at the overall margin, what is it. It looks like Donald Trump took some forty two percent of the vote in the city of Deerborn. What's your reaction to that. There was a lot of discussion about whether voters like yourselves and others who were affected by this would be voting for Jill Stein and possibly even just sitting out, but many actually decided to affirmatively vote for Trump. What do you think the reason behind that is.
Speaker 11: I think the reasoning behind this is, you know, the messaging, largely from the Vice president's campaign was the other side is worse and things will get worse in Palestine or and Lebanon. And so when I have this conversation with residents, I think of HEJ Cambridge a lot. Was the first Lebani'es American citizen was slaughter than Lebanon. This is the dearborn you think of his family, a very prominent family within the city. What is the message from the Vice president's team to them? How does it get worse than your father being slaughtered amidst helping people and supporting the orphans across the country of Lebanon.
Speaker 7: How does it get worse than this?
Speaker 11: How does it get worse than one of my residents who has lost now over seventy family members. How does it get worse than watching your ancestral village being blown up and decimated for fun by the IDF. How does it get worse than that? And so I think that message absolutely failed. Then let's talk about the surrogates that were sent Liz Cheney. Really, we're going to brag about Dick Cheney's endorsement and show up with Liz Cheney numerous times. I'm sorry that the list Cheney Democrats did not show up and vote. But in this community, what people stood on was value and principle and morals, and that's what they wanted.
Speaker 7: So, yes, you saw a.
Speaker 11: Backlash towards these progenocide candidates, but again it wasn't an abandonment of any party. Rather, it was the reaction to the party abandoning the residents of the city of Dearborn.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that certainly makes sense. Ryan, you have a question for you.
Speaker 8: Yes, CNN had a rather incredible take last night, effectively that Kamala Harris was kind of too critical of Israel. A role this for you, if we can put up this, this.
Speaker 15: Thought here Republican Jewish coalition that was all over the airwaves, a bunch of women sitting around Jewish women just saying I can't stand him. But I felt like we were supporting Israel, and we were stronger, and we were tougher in, and I think that resonates with people.
Speaker 16: And then to your point, the ad that came out that was beating come up around fear about Israel not being protected. There was never a response from the campaign on that, but I thought it was a big mistake. Amanda Berman from Ziones had to raise money right here her own adds, trying to fight back alone.
Speaker 7: That didn't work.
Speaker 16: So but listen, you tied her to the economy, you tied her a Biden, You tired it weird.
Speaker 17: I agree with everything you're saying. I just didn't want to engage in the autopsy before before we've called the race, and before she dropped out. But you know one thing on that the answer on I can't think of anything offhand about where she would differ with Biden. Was disastrous and there's no doubt about it.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 17: The question is what motivated it and whether she just felt she did she she did not want to loyalty. Yes, so she should have just said, look, I'm grateful to him. You know, I'm proud of some of the many things we did together, and I'm not going to critique him. I'm gonna I'm talking about the future. Would have been a better answer.
Speaker 8: What do you what do you make of that argument that she was actually not supportive enough of Israel.
Speaker 11: I think that warmongerers will continually beat the drums to continue dragging us into wars. If you look at every poll that came out, Democrats, Independence, even young Republicans, they all wanted a president who was willing to bring forth an arms and bargo to hold Benjamin Notatani, how accountable Benjamin Natanya, who is not a popular individual across America.
Speaker 7: This war is not popular.
Speaker 11: The use of our U US tax pay our dollars to continually fund this genocide is not popular, So they very much missed the mark. I don't think it was a problem of what these individuals had spoken to. I clearly think it was the distancing of President distancing from President Biden.
Speaker 7: On the issue of Razza that led to a portion of the defeat.
Speaker 2: We saw, certainly Benjamin Etnahu placing his chips on Trump winning. Israeli's overwhelmingly wanted Trump to be victorious. I know you have no illusions about the president elect at this point. What do you expect from him visa VIP this conflict.
Speaker 11: If we've learned anything in sixteen, that's it's learned to not expect because you're going to be surprised at every turn. And so for us, the message I have for my residence, the message I have for my community, is that the real work begins every day before and after an election. And so for us, we have to hold to account whoever assumes that White House.
Speaker 7: In this case, it will be Donald Trump.
Speaker 11: And we're ready and prepared to organize, to mobilize, to protest, to continually call for policies to help improve and save lives.
Speaker 7: Be it in this country and across the globe.
Speaker 8: Donald Trump, in his victory speech gave a shout out to Muslim Americans who had helped put him over the finish line. Are people in Dearborn now considering themselves to be part of that coalition at the table where they can negotiate with Trump? Or are people thinking of themselves as kind of outside the coalition and protesting to kind of push him.
Speaker 4: In a direction.
Speaker 11: I don't think anybody is disillusioned by what Trump represents. I think even those who may have cast their vote, what they know is they know how to hold individuals accountable, and that's what they're going to do things. You know, politicians will tell you whatever it takes in order to get themselves elected. And this happens far too often, and so I think what you're going to see here is people just look to each and every.
Speaker 7: Single policy that comes forward.
Speaker 11: Again, if we look at the candidates that won yesterday, is skipping the top of the bat look towards the down ballot candidates. These are the individuals that were in the community knocking on doors. We weren't shy to take tough votes on issues that impacted this community directly. Who aligned with where the center of America is now on the issue of Israel Palestine, and so I think what needs to happen is a deep reflection for Democratic party from both parties on the issue of Israel Palestine, and for those parties to move, for their centers to move, just as the American center has moved.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mayor, thank you so much. I really grateful. I know we're the first interview that you gave today, so we really are grateful for that and always appreciate your insights.
Speaker 3: Thank you, sir, Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, our pleasure.
Speaker 3: Thank you guys so much for watching. We really appreciate you. It was an awesome election night. Shout out to Logan for joining us and Decision Desk HQ also for giving us live data. But it was a privilege to be with you guys. Yeah, last night, it was genuinely a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Logan with Race the White House. Make sure to follow him over there.
Speaker 2: And yeah, Emily you guys, Emily Crow, everybody, Decision Desk shout.
Speaker 8: Out to the whole ten people are gradually figuring out that this and the other podcast YouTube world, it actually is the place to be if you want to reach about half the country.
Speaker 2: Apparently that way it was a wind for all.
Speaker 3: For the table over here. We're gonna have a great show for everybody tomorrow and we'll see you all the