Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Time to Make the Donuts? I made donuts? People remember that commercial?
Speaker 3: Or no?
Speaker 2: I hope so grew up with the Time to Make the Donuts guy, Well, hey, good morning. What's your next reference? Where's the beef? Hey? You might get some? You stick around because Rich and I disagree a lot.
Speaker 4: All right, let's go condin on rich In for the Great Dan Patrick live in the Mercedes Benz Studios and Express Employment Professionals can provide contract workers to Flix and during the peak seasons without having to raise your core workforce headcount. Manage your workforce differently. Visit expresspros dot com today, that, my friends, is expresspros dot com.
Speaker 5: Speaking of headcount, Rich counts for two because he has a big giant guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mondo. Cos of random ideas.
Speaker 4: For today's show, we're gonna talk quarterback, We're gonna play Shack Diesel trivia, We're gonna talk about what type of vacation person you are, and it has to do with Rory mcil We'll explain coming up. But I did want to start the show with a possible mistake I made yesterday.
Speaker 2: Oh I can't wait let's hear about it.
Speaker 5: Fuck, you have a little too much joy. I mean, because I hear it all throughout the day. I feel like you suffer from sticking your foot in your mouth like multiple times a day. Oh and you know what, what other mistake did you make? I'm gonna call out a bunch of people today as well. Nice. Wait, most people have a problem with something that went down yesterday, and they should not.
Speaker 2: They're just jealous and poor. Wait, so you're playing villain today? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: Hey, stick around if you want Rich to upset you in any sort of way. Perfect.
Speaker 5: Plus Danny g is super producing on the phones. If you want to participate, we try to include you. Most inclusive show on radio eight seven seven ninety nine on Fox Iowa, Sam on the ones and twos, Hey Sam, Yo, good morning.
Speaker 2: And spots on the videos. If you want to play along at home.
Speaker 5: At Covino and Rich at Fox Sports Radio on social media.
Speaker 2: Let the wild Rumpus begin. So yesterday.
Speaker 4: Kids are off from school this week out here on the West Coast, and a lot of places spring break for the kiddos. A lot of parents scramble around, like, well, the home I'm supposed to do with him this week. Send them to Cancun so for spring break where they uh all do a booty shaking contest. I'm talking little kids Covido, not like college spring break. That was the last month, so my kids don't have to wake up early, so it's like sort of a free for all. And yesterday my daughter's friend's mom asked, do you mind if we take Emmy with us. We're all going to the Dodgers game. It's hello, kiddy night.
Speaker 5: Okay, keep in mind emmy seven. Are these close friends of the family. Okay, so you trust them. We trust them. Her best pal and the parents and a couple of the kids are going. So first thought was, man, Dodger Stadium is a big place. My kid's seven. I trust these parents probably more than anyone else. But my first thought was, oh, the anxiety you just feel as a parent as you get older and older. I'm like, this is like step one when before you know what'll be going out with her friends driving? What your daughter's getting her license this year? Yeah, this is one big hassle on pain in The super scary parent thing is one stressful pain in the ass. Hey, everybody goes through it. It's just a part of life. But you know, I really didn't think about it more than ten seconds. I was like, yet, yeah, tag her up with an eye, tag keeper safe. It's a modern day leash. Remember growing up, parents would keep their kids on a leash, and you would say to yourself, who keeps their kid on a leash?
Speaker 2: I still think that's like trash behavior.
Speaker 1: You're a leash.
Speaker 5: I mean, like it's it's definitely eye opening when you see it, like, oh okay, but I get it.
Speaker 2: You want to keep your kids, saying.
Speaker 5: Nothing scarier than when they're out of your sight and you can't see him for like a good twenty thirty seconds.
Speaker 2: Every dad knows that hears him in a jungle gym. You like, where'd you go?
Speaker 1: So I'm going up?
Speaker 2: Then it's come down to see him. Where are they?
Speaker 5: Oh that's frightening. So so you're not there. She's gonna go to Dodger Stadium. I'm really after like maybe a minute of like, oh, I no know, do I feel a little weird about this?
Speaker 2: I'm like, no, I'm not. She's seven and she's going with her friend who a Dodgers game. What am I being a weirdo?
Speaker 6: For?
Speaker 4: So I was like, yeah, go have a great time. That's not the problem. Here's the problem. She gets a Dodger's Hello Kitty stuffy Her friend and the parents are Dodgers fans. So my daughter comes back in a Dodger's head.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, so I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know how cool that is.
Speaker 5: You know, Rich again, for reference, is a Mets guy and he's raising a Mets fan family.
Speaker 2: That's how it works, poor guy.
Speaker 5: But we live out here in Los Angeles, and all his daughter knows is that her friends are Dodgers fans. Her friend's family are Dodgers fans. The Dodgers won the World Series. She's at a Dodgers game. Oh and why you've raised her really well to know that, hey, we're Mets fan. It's it's also like I said, Hello Kitty night.
Speaker 4: So my daughter comes in the door last night at like ten thirty, eleven o'clock at night with a Dodger's Hello Kitty stuffed animal a Dodger's hat from the Dodger store, which means the parents, spifefully because they know I'm a Mets fan, spitefully bought my daughter probably.
Speaker 7: Like a forty dollars hat the best forty dollars they ever spent, and she.
Speaker 4: Comes up with a little plastic Dodger's helmet that they bought her ice creaming. These are great people, but they're Dodgers fans and guess what my family is not.
Speaker 5: And they send me this video midway through the game. I mean, if it's done in fun, rich, what's going on there? Listen to the this is this is halfway through the game.
Speaker 4: I get this text from them and it's my daughter sitting there at the Dodgers game.
Speaker 5: Let's go Dodgers. Now, are they just messing with you? Is it a good little ribbing like? Because if that's what's going on, that's funny and that's fine. Otherwise there is a slight level of disrespect because you don't make those choices for other kids when you're someone's parent.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean. I'm not looking at it as disrespect.
Speaker 4: I'm I'm opening up the question to the Dan Patrick Nation, to the Dan Nets, to the world. Just because you're a fan of a team could put this to Rescus. We've had this conversation over the years. I grew up in New York. I'm a Mets fan, Let's go Mets. Juan so Noo finally hit a bomb yesterday, but it doesn't matter. He's sliding by because the Mets are playing so well that no one's noticing that his stats.
Speaker 2: On our people are noticing.
Speaker 5: People are saying that Trent Grisham of the New York Yankees has better stats than once Sotto right now, but guess what and again right now? But that is fun to talk about. I see when you run for the bag, when you leave the Yankees for the money.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But when the Mets are eleven and five and one of the best teams in baseball and Wan Soto's just leadership and you know you saw presence. His presence is like I don't know that saying nobody's talking about. But no, Mets fans are like, man Soto's a bust. They're eleven and five and he's fantastic.
Speaker 5: Everybody's going to talk about it if he doesn't start producing, because he's the highest played paid player in baseball.
Speaker 2: If the Mets are five and eleven, then they'd be talking about it. But true. So long story.
Speaker 4: Short, and my question, before you get into a lot of the beef of today's show, just because you root for a team. Do you force that on your kids if you live somewhere else, Meaning I'm a New Yorker, my wife's from Texas. We now live out here in southern California. My kids who are seven and five, my daughter seven, my son is five. They all we know we live at California. In fact, my son I bought him the Hurricane. If you're if you're a coach and you have little kids, it's a it's that ball that swings around. It's like one hundred and fifty bucks, a little batting thing.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: My son's on the side of the house taking hacks yesterday and he's like, Dad, do I look like Otani?
Speaker 2: So my son's reference tell you're a little white kid to a blonde hair, like, you're.
Speaker 4: Not Japanese, buddy, But you know what, don't see color. You're like two feet tall and a mookie mess. I'm my son, you're not black even.
Speaker 5: But my son his first reference Danny is dad, does my swing look like Otani?
Speaker 3: He is Michael Jordan.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, who's that show?
Speaker 5: Hey, he's one of I'll say, one of the biggest sports icons alive today.
Speaker 2: So I get it.
Speaker 5: Every kid's gonna look up and admire sho Heltani man who doesn't some a Yankees fan, I admire the hell out of show.
Speaker 4: Hey, my daughter came home laughing with her Dodger stuff. You ever see what a kid has so much fun? They come home and it's almost like they're drunk. Yeah, it's like eleven o'clock and she's loud.
Speaker 2: I'm like, your brother's sleeping. Shut the hell up, dad, and now we I'm like I.
Speaker 5: Told my wife, she hands like a drunk college kid. Them being tired and delirious. I guess, yeah, sugar high if that's a real thing. So again, long story short, do you really push your teams on your kid?
Speaker 4: Is that old school thinking? Is that ridiculous? We live in a small world where you know everyone, all.
Speaker 5: Your friends have different favorite teams, and just because you were for a team doesn't doesn't mean your kids need to.
Speaker 4: And again, I live in California. Am I gonna make my kids root for the Mets when they have the Dodgers here?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 5: Yeah, because she's grandfathered in into Mets fandom? Literally, your dad started this tradition. Why should your kids break the tradition? There's no excuses anymore. I get it if it was nineteen eighty something and she didn't have the ability to watch the Mets and had no connection to any of the players, because you can see him day and day out. With MLB apps and iHeartRadio and Fox Sport, you're connected to every team you want to hear about and listen to all the time. So there's no excuse for anybody to not root for the team that they grow up in and around. And she's growing up in and around a Mets family.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 5: She's in LA, but that is a hardcore Mets fan, not just a casual Mets fan. That's important. Your dad was a Mets fan. I mean two days ago, your family does.
Speaker 4: Two days ago, we went up to Sacramento to see the Mets play the eighth right, So I think there's really no excuse.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I get it, she's in LA. I've had these conversations with my kid. I mean, you can always have secondary interests, right, like a college student. You could minor in Dodgers if you want, but you major in the Mets.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: I know that doesn't make sense because they're both in the National League, But I get it. You want to be aware of the fun and the hype that's surrounded by the World Series Champions right now because you're out here and you're a little kid. That's okay, because there's superstars. That's another thing. When you were a kid, you had your fandom, you had your teams, you had your alliance and allegiance right whether it have been the let's say you were a Knicks fan, you still admired and rooted for Michael Jordan and.
Speaker 2: Was not really I don't know any Knicks fans that rooted for Michael Jordan.
Speaker 5: Today is bs because you know, every kid had a Jordan poster in their room, regardless of alliance, and they were rock and air Jordan's regardless because you couldn't deny his superstar.
Speaker 4: Rocking the Jordan's, but they had the Starks dunking over Jordan poster.
Speaker 2: Everybody loved Jordan.
Speaker 5: There's certain athletes that transcend alliance and rooting interest in Shoho Tani is one of them. And it's not just show Hey, it's Smookie Betts, it's Freddie Freeman.
Speaker 2: I was like, what show Hay?
Speaker 5: So I don't blame a little kid for being sucked into that because they're superstars and they're larger than life, especially to a little kid. But you know, as a dad myself, I've told my daughter like, hey, no, no, no, no, you know, especially if you like my daughter's in the dating scene. So a lot of young women also tend to root for whatever their boyfriends root for. So a lot of little boys out here, Yeah, I like the Dodgers. I'm like, well, guess what Melody dad likes the Yankees. You were born when the Yankees last won the World Series. We come from a long line of Yankees fans. I know we live out here in Los Angeles, but we're Yankees fans.
Speaker 2: And the story story, No, it sounds silly that you're just gonna let your kids just.
Speaker 3: Root for whoever.
Speaker 2: You're a Mets guy.
Speaker 1: You are you are?
Speaker 2: Hey, dude, I grew up I am a choice.
Speaker 3: Guess what.
Speaker 5: I grew up A little pumpkin pie haircutted Mexican kid who's half a town that looked like Tattoo from Fantastic I didn't make that choice.
Speaker 2: That's who I am. You know what else I am because it was grandfather mean, a Yankees fan. That's it.
Speaker 1: The end.
Speaker 5: Tell Amy, I love you to death, honey. But this is who we are, period. I'm serious.
Speaker 3: Period. I like that stance, Covino.
Speaker 7: You'll get some weird looks sometimes, like when I brought CoA in for his first Raiders tattoo a couple months ago.
Speaker 5: He's one years old, Danny. But the reality is I love the Mets.
Speaker 4: My daughter only knows being a little girl that grew up in California. And the boyfriend thing is a perfect example. My daughter's only seven, but when she's seventeen sixteen and she has her high school boyfriend, I remember girls I dated rooted for my team because they didn't really care that much. So you tell me if you're telling me your daughter doesn't know the Yankees other than like dad cares, Why would you, Dad, who did everything for you your whole life, all of a sudden you abandoned Dad because some Yeah, well this kid better be on the Dodgers. If she's rooting for the Dodgers, get out of here.
Speaker 2: I listen.
Speaker 4: My wife comes from Her parents are from the Midwest originally, her dad's a Cardinals fan. You're too much of a suc we get My father in law is a Cardinals fan. Guess who my wife roots for the Mets becus. I'm the man in her life now.
Speaker 5: I'm not fining to it. She didn't have to do that. She did that because she really didn't care that much. She didn't have to do that. And and I don't think anyone should. And I think there's a little part of you. You said you're gonna play the villain today. I don't know if this is part of it, but you sound like a little tiny bit of a softy to just think it's a okay your son, how about your son too? Isn't that father's son, Bonnie. I'm not trying to be sexist here, Creed. It goes all ways. But you're gonna say, okay, son, you're a Dodgers fan and he's gonna go completely against his dad. Come on, man, you gotta think Game of Throne style, like this is what we are turning on the family. Get out of here and beat it. This is who we are. That's on the lowest of levels. There's something really serious about that. It's like, you can't change who you are. What do you a trainer? That's how I feel about it. You know what your thoughts, let's light them up. Eight seven seven, nine to nine on Fox. And by the way, it's very fickle just because of where you live. That's who you root for. You know a lot of people bounce around city to city all the time. In today's world, it's a much smaller place. Yeah pick one buy jumping around and you can't be bandwaggoning either.
Speaker 4: But so, my daughter gets home last night after going to the Dodgers game, and she's a kid. You wanted to have a good time, and I feel she was so pumped. That's so much fun.
Speaker 5: Again, the parents who brought her, our friends Liz and Scott, you know, bought her ice cream, butter, a Dodger's hat.
Speaker 2: All this stuff. She had had a great experience, and you don't want to ruin that. I get it.
Speaker 4: And she's seven, and she goes Dad and she said this sort of like not nervous, but she goes that, I think I like rooting for the Dodgers, but if they play the Mets, I know, we root for the Mets, right, I'm like.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 4: I'm like, yeah, buddy, But then I felt like she was saying that just to make me happen. I'm like, then I almost felt like, say, if you like the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Like what, I feel like.
Speaker 4: She was saying just to make me happy? And I'm like, do you want your kids to say something just to make you happy? Danny g you mentioned Cole for real? If and when he grows up, he's only what one and a half.
Speaker 3: Now, Yeah, he's nineteen months old.
Speaker 5: Now, when he grows up, if he chooses any team other than the Raiders, is that gonna be okay with you? Or are you gonna just like push it as hard as you can?
Speaker 3: Not too big of a deal. I just wonder how much military school costs.
Speaker 2: Clearly he's not learning, right, I have to change his last name. I don't know. I look at it this way as well.
Speaker 5: It it's not like I'm a Yankees fan and my son's like Dad, I like the Red Sox, the Dodgers, Mets have had some great series over the years.
Speaker 2: But I'm an East Coast guy. Originally, it could be reasonable.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you can be like, yeah, look, Dad doesn't hate the Dodgers, like you know.
Speaker 4: There's no need to hate, but Dodgers. They're eighteen, you know, do you remember your first experience at ball games?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 2: Get this?
Speaker 4: Every time my daughter's gone to a Mets game with me, no joke. Mets are oh and four, So my daughter has seen the Mets lose four times.
Speaker 5: Oh, I get what you're saying. And now you're saying that you dealt with a lot of pain throughout your life. Why do you want to expose your daughter to the pain of disappointment?
Speaker 2: She sees the Mets go oh and four.
Speaker 4: Since I've taken her once or twice a year, since she's like four or five, right, so we've she's own four as a Mets fan seeing them live.
Speaker 5: So she hasn't had a lot of reasons to cheer, and she's seen dad and disappointed and upset throughout the year.
Speaker 4: She's only seen the Mets on the road, right, so she's like, no one's really rooting for them except us. Look, everyone else is rooting for the Angels or the Dodgers or wherever I've taken her, right, And now she goes last night and everybody's guess what my daughter, Hello kitty we hat or a Hello Kitty like plushy like those big stuffies.
Speaker 2: They gave her a Hello Kitty stuff and guess what she gets to see a home run from none other than show. Hey time, I mean you know what. Again.
Speaker 5: On a lower level, you know what, it's kind of like, it's like you you let your kids stay over a friend's house and they come back with all these different ideals and thoughts about the world.
Speaker 2: You're like, hey, relax with that.
Speaker 5: It's like they were pushing their morals and ideals and their values on your kid.
Speaker 2: And I don't know how I feel about that.
Speaker 5: On a very low level, I'm being serious, like, I know, it's not that serious. It's not that deep as the kid, WO say, it's not that big of a deal. But it's like, hey, you sent her out as a Mets fan, she came home a Dodgers fan.
Speaker 2: Slow down and relaxed.
Speaker 4: It's like your kid goes away to college and they come back from liberal hippie right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: On a lower level, it's like, hey, stop trying to brainwash my kid.
Speaker 2: I sent her out with a Mets hat on.
Speaker 3: Or they come back with a new menu, a new taste.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm a.
Speaker 3: Pantry. Your kitchen's way better than yours.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's okay, Wait a second, I'm a vegan. So again, we're from the East Coast.
Speaker 5: You guys know that Covino and Richard for Dan Patrick from Union, New Jersey, Riches from Franklin Square, Long Island. I grew up a Yankees fan. Rich grew up a Mets fan. We're out here in Los Angeles, been out here for a long time.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: It's all our kids really know. Do you force them to root for your team or do you let them enjoy the beautiful run that the Dodgers are going?
Speaker 3: With me right now?
Speaker 4: I joke, be part of the fun Lakers, Fun, La Fun. I joked with the parents who took her last night again good friends of ours. I said, I gotta keep them a little in New York, meaning my kids, because we're out here in l AM. I got all my kids starting to soft La kids.
Speaker 2: I'm like, what are they gonna do next?
Speaker 5: Started to start pronouncing Italian foods the right way, right right.
Speaker 2: Right, look, And there's nothing wrong.
Speaker 5: I'm not gonna say there's wrong with doing their own thing and their own choices and their own decisions. I get that, you know, I have independent thinkers. But there's also nothing wrong with tradition and nothing wrong with Hey, we're a Mets family or we're a blank family. And this is what we do together as a family.
Speaker 4: I joked with my wife because my wife's from South Texas, and I said, our kids are La kids.
Speaker 2: You're a Texan, I'm in New Yorker.
Speaker 4: We need to keep a little Texas and a little New York in their life so that they know where they came.
Speaker 2: From, a little bit of country, a little bit of rocket roll, I said.
Speaker 5: They need, They need that knowledge of like, yeah, you know, I got a little bit of a New York edge.
Speaker 4: My parents are from New York and uh, they're from Texas, so they need those are two cool places. By the way, I mean, yeah, don't lose that completely as we go to your feet or roots.
Speaker 5: There's nothing wrong with your roots, So I think that's also important. Could she have fun at a Dodgers game. Yeah, have all the fun you want. But remember, honey, we're a Mets family. Nothing wrong with that. You're not brainwashing your kid, you're not guilt tripping them.
Speaker 2: You're just them. That's who we are, and be proud about it.
Speaker 4: Character that's our one of our buses, got that runs this place done?
Speaker 5: Yeah he goes mayor Dodge. Just pay the bills for a lot of people around here. If were you at like the Dodgas, Like you know that's true. You know, you know, as you get older and your mind changes on things. And again that's why I said, on the lowest of levels sports is fine. So it's not that serious, but it does say a little something right, And again it's also a very important bonding sort of thing, like we said, with your kids. You want to have those moments with your kids. Yeah, you can still enjoy a ballgame, but you know, it's cooler when your rooting interest is the same.
Speaker 2: Your thoughts.
Speaker 4: I want to get the phones going eight seven, seven, nine nine on Fox in for Dan Patrick Kevino on Rich what level of forcing when it comes to your kids rooting for the same team as you.
Speaker 2: Have to force anything. We don't have to be so willy nilly.
Speaker 4: Well, hold on, let me ask you one little rub and then we'll take your fee. Does it extend to other stuff like music? Like if you're a big rock fan and your kids like dad, I hate rocket love country, do you say like we're a rock family, Like you've worked in rock radio and sports your whole life. What if your daughter is like rock lame I like you know edm dance mu'sic.
Speaker 5: Dad, Well, I think music and trends are ever changing, so I would never force my stuff on my kid. I would try to influence them unless it's the and heavily influence them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Yankees.
Speaker 5: It's not like I'm telling her to root for the nineteen ninety six Yankees, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So why would you expect a kid to listen to the type.
Speaker 5: Of music you like? That's true, right, because those are trends that are changing. So anyway, your thoughts on this. We're La transplants. The kids are gonna be sucked into LA fandom, but we're not from LA. How do you handle that to me? Like I said, there's no excuse anymore. You could still watch your team regardless of where you are. It's not like Rich doesn't have access to New York Mets baseball. He does show your thoughts. Plus, we got to talk about vacation conversations and involve sports.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ties it to Rory McElroy.
Speaker 4: Plus a lot of quarterback rumors and speculation. As we're less than ten days from the NFL Draft, so we got a lot of NFL We'll have a lot of fun. Covino and Rich in for Dan Patrick Tuesday right here Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 5: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 5: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 2: I mean that says something, right. So check us out.
Speaker 5: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich Live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from.
Speaker 2: Five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific.
Speaker 4: And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 2: That's Covino and rich.
Speaker 4: I'm watching the highlights of Tiny's home run last night. Then he hit another one. Here's your daughter on TV cheering.
Speaker 5: Oh, she's holding a sign I hate my dady.
Speaker 2: Boy does she is holding another sign? My dad stinks and so do the Mets. So do the Mets.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 5: Hey, it's Covino and Rich in for the Great Dan Patrick. Day two of the Dan Patrick Patrick, which means we'll be here tomorrow tomorrow, and we'll be here next Tuesday.
Speaker 2: So lucky you.
Speaker 4: Well, do you know why we're gonna be here next Tuesday? And by the way, we're live in the Mercedes Benz Studios DP.
Speaker 2: Does it right? Next week?
Speaker 4: Dan's on Monday, we're gonna be fieling on Tuesday because they're headed to the NFL Draft as a show. They'll be doing the show NFL Draft Style Wednesday and Thursday, I believe.
Speaker 2: So with that said, we're.
Speaker 5: Gonna talk about some NFL quarterback moves and some speculation and some rumors coming up in a few minutes, plus what type of vacation.
Speaker 3: Person are you?
Speaker 2: A lot a lot of fun in randomness. But here's where we start today.
Speaker 4: My daughter goes to the Dodgers game last night with her little girlfriends, her little galpals, my daughter seven, and one of the moms is like, we're taking the girls because it's Hello Kitty night.
Speaker 2: And I was like, yeah, you could bring my daughter. Thank you for the invite.
Speaker 4: My daughter comes home last night with a Hello Kitty Dodgers stuffy, a Dodger's hat and a little helmet, and she's like, Dad, I think I like the Dodgers, but I mean a root for the Mets if they play each other. And I'm like, oh, she's just saying that because she doesn't want to crush me.
Speaker 5: There's a lot going on here, man, because first and first mostly, as we say here on the show, most importantly is the fun that she had. Okay, so let's be real about it. Let's go dodge, man. They're just rubbing it into Dad's face. Dad's a lifelong Mets guy. And again, these are your roots and you got to be proud of them. We're out here alone in Los Angeles, live in LA what he do.
Speaker 2: So here's the thing.
Speaker 5: My daughter has never been to City Field, and this summer when we go visit New York family, I'm gonna take her for the first time. We live in La am I doing her a disservice by being like, no, we're much fair. There's so many ways to look at it. I'm the dad of teenage daughter. She doesn't give a Diddley squad about baseball. Meanwhile, her dad's like obsessed with baseball and the Yankees.
Speaker 2: Right, so.
Speaker 5: You do your best to influence your kids. However, I bond over music and other things with my daughter, right. I think you have a duty as a parent, not just as a dad, as a parent to say the right things and to do your part. But then they're gonna make their own choices anyway, and you learn that as time goes on, and about everything like political views, ways of life, any sort of thing that you think.
Speaker 2: You feel it's your job.
Speaker 5: It could be as simple as hey, they notice stay safe and put on their seat belt. But it's your job as your dad, as a dad, or as a parent to remind them, hey, put your seatbelt.
Speaker 1: On.
Speaker 5: I know that, I know, but I'm just doing my job. It's kind of your job to be like, remember, we.
Speaker 2: Root for the Mets.
Speaker 5: If they make their own decisions and she becomes a Dodgers fan, you know that's that's fine. They're gonna make their own decisions. But you still have to do your part. That's my point. You also have to about, yeah, I guess she's no, we're daughters fans and say what a smile because you're not going to force her to think what you think. But you got a reminder. We're Dodgers fan, I mean we're Mets fans. See now you're you're you're confused with me?
Speaker 2: Are we doctors?
Speaker 4: So your calls, your feedback, phones are all let every single line, so handle it. When your kid chooses a different team, let's go rapid fire, or as we like to say, throw it back to the nineties cross fire.
Speaker 2: We get caught up in the know.
Speaker 5: You never had that, while I never had it, but I'm very well aware of it. That means you got to be snappy. Let's go through all the phone calls. Me seven seven ninety nine on Fox Pennsylvania, Mio, what's going on?
Speaker 9: Hey, thank you first time, long time. I love the Cowboys. I grew up Cowboys fan. I baby hate everything Philadelphia sports. Oh yeah, my villin has been influenced by his cousins and his cousin's family and now came up to me and said, Dad, I love the Eagles.
Speaker 2: Come on, yeah, you know I love it. Hate that story all once for me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but you also have to teach again, try again your part, right, You can't control of your kid and you want them to be free thinkers and be proud of their choices. But you have to teach them, or at least try to teach and preach to them that no, we don't fall into peer pressure. You know, have a backbone. This is who we are and that's just what we do. You gotta just do your part.
Speaker 4: Like you said, heartbreak, Like you said, there's times in life where you you do lose control of your kids. And the example we gave was how many times does a kid come back from college and all of a sudden they were like a liberal hippie and their parents like what hap real time?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm sure our parents felt the same way about us. Dave in Colorado, what's up, Dave?
Speaker 3: Hey, Dave.
Speaker 10: What's up, guys, thanks for taking the.
Speaker 2: Call, no problem, thank you.
Speaker 10: Yoh man, I got a I guess a quick admission. I'm a I grew up and Detroy, so we attended all all like old school Pistons games and Tigers games when you could find tickets on the ground walk right in so by the fault. That was kind of a detriped sports fan. But I've been in call out of twenty I don't know, over twenty years now, and my rear end kicked in at an Avalanche game wearing some some red wings here when I'm just more of a hockey and a sports fan. So I don't know. I agree with you guys about your concepts of snowplow parenting. You want to have your kids go through the diversity, but man, I don't know if I want them feel And that's shit from wearing like an out of town jersey, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what.
Speaker 4: The one sport I guess I would say I'm most passionate about as far as that's that's my old school team is is baseball.
Speaker 2: I'm a kid from Long Island. I love the Mets, right, So.
Speaker 5: Can't they give dad that, you know, what I'm saying if they want to root for the Lakers or hey, fine, I was gonna say.
Speaker 2: I'll even myself. I was never a big Knicks fan.
Speaker 4: I can't call myself a Lakers fan, but I've been out here over a decade.
Speaker 5: I like Lakers, Kings. I'm a big hockey basketball guy. My diehard alliances are NFL and Major League Baseball. So not all traditions have to die rich. Yeah, you know, like she carries your last name because you're her dad. Yeah, you know what, I'll give you this one, And she carries the Mets losing tradition because you're her dad.
Speaker 2: How do you feel about this?
Speaker 4: Danny, g You and I and could you know we've all come up in the radio ranks, and you know, we all have these friends that have moved around the country for radio or TV gigs, Like, hey, are friend Nico, he's a new morning guy in Phoenix. Or hey, you remember Dana who used to work on the show. She's the new news anchor at Philadelphia. How do you feel about when media personalities adopt the city they live in for a long time? Sports, Like our buddy Nico is from Detroit, but he's but he's the morning guy in Phoenix.
Speaker 5: Now there's a way to handle that respectfully. The Cardinals, you can do your job and show some cardinal pride, but you got to represent.
Speaker 7: It would be really hard to just bold face lie to your new listeners, especially with the ink I have on my body. You know, how would I suddenly be a fan of their team?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're you're You're an extreme example.
Speaker 4: But I see my buddy Nico, who I know, grew up in Detroit, lived in New York for like twenty years. He's a big time morning guy in Phoenix, and I see him like on social media, like yo yo Sons. He's you know, Sons fired their coach, you know, go Sons. I'm like, Sons, if he really meant that he's just a people pleaser, and I know he's not. He's our pal, so I think he's just doing his job and he's doing the right thing in that moment.
Speaker 3: But he could be. You could be a heel and just as popular.
Speaker 2: It's true.
Speaker 5: I mean even our former president didn't Obama wear like a White Sox jersey, your hat or something.
Speaker 2: That Wrigley.
Speaker 3: White Sox hat.
Speaker 5: He never like denied his fandom, but he did it respectfully, like there's ways to do it. You know, he to be such a bandwagon person. I mean Giuliani before the hair dyed dripping down his face, when he when when the world loved him before, you know, things were weird because it just was a Yankee and where you're from, it's not that serious. And I respected that. He was very diehard Yankees. All right, Johnna Florida rapid fire.
Speaker 3: What's up? John A.
Speaker 6: Fellas, what's good?
Speaker 9: Good morning? Like the New Time slot.
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 9: You know me, I'm a big New England Boston.
Speaker 2: Fan of all the sports.
Speaker 7: And uh I got three boys, so I thought the Celtics in the in the Pats on them hockey and baseball.
Speaker 9: I let them figure it out.
Speaker 10: But the Celtics and Paths big time.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I think that's the rule.
Speaker 4: I think we've come to some weird hybrid conclusion that if your kids are growing up in a different city than you are, you could pick. You could be like, hey, kids, I get it. We we live in Dallas now. I grew up here. But there's one team this our family is. We're Mets fan.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: Maybe I tell my kids, hey, we're Mets fans football, basketball, hockey.
Speaker 2: Do you think make make your decision?
Speaker 3: Kids?
Speaker 5: Yeah, but dad's holding strong. Yeah, we are Mets again, because that's your part. They're gonna make their own minds up anyway, unfortunately. So yeah, I think that's it. I want them to think.
Speaker 4: About me when I'm an old guy, when you know, when I'm in my nineties and up and I croak and the Met's finally when the World's Series the year after I die, I want them to think of me.
Speaker 2: Ron in South Dakota, what's up?
Speaker 3: Ron? Hey?
Speaker 11: This ONRN. My situation is very easy. I was born and raised in Chicago. My son was born in Chicago, but we left there for the Twin Cities before he was two years old. Yet he's a Cubs fan, do to me. But I give them the right to be a Twins fan also since he's in the Twin Cities. And it's easy because Cubs is National League, Twins is americanly Now, if there was in the same league, same division or anything, we might have to go to court and get some papers to solve something on this, you know. But with the girl, it's different too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know what's interesting. Let me add one more rub coming on, they will take the last couple. I see my son playing teble. I coach his team, and when they get up to bat, I'll say things to them like I, come on, you know.
Speaker 5: Get those you know, get those hands back, you know, drive through the ball, just like and I think in my head I have to use Dodgers like come on, who you Mookie, Betsy you Freddy Freeman?
Speaker 2: Yo, all right, you're o Tani. Let's see that stroke. You're not saying polar Bear.
Speaker 5: P I'm not saying polar Bear peak because all the little boys tell vampe, yeah who is Soto? My my son and his little friends on his T ball team. Oh, they're not telling him come on, just like Timmy Tuffell used to do. Come on, just like len use.
Speaker 2: Those hips, use those hips, just like the toughle shuffle, Daryl Strawberry swing man. Get better than that.
Speaker 4: But you know, at some point, I don't want my kid to feel like the weirdo when everyone else is like, go Dodgers, and he's like, yeah, guys, I.
Speaker 2: Like, what was that campaign we grew up with?
Speaker 5: There to be different, all right, There to be It's not that big of a deal. If he's a Mets fan, you know, and you can say, hey, it's not that big of a deal. On the flip side, I get it because it is. It's fun, it's sports. But it's okay that he's the one kid that roots for the Dodgers or the See now you get me confused right here in Los Angeles. That's why. Now we'll wrap up with your phone calls. Plus, we gotta play Whack Diesel trivia, sharing the show, giving away.
Speaker 4: Prizes today Shack Diesel. I love what we do the trivia. Be you ready for some play in what type of vacation person of you? There's a funny story has to do with Rory McElroy, plus a lot of quarterback news in the NFL. Hang tight, We're gonna have a fun show today. Cnr in for the Great Dan Patrick.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 5: Hey, welcome back to the show. Covino enrich In for Dan Patrick. Always an honor, always a pleasure filling in for DP.
Speaker 2: And we get it.
Speaker 5: Look, we're radio fans, you tuned in, You're like, Hey, we're's Dan Patrick.
Speaker 2: You got us.
Speaker 4: Hey, hopefully you like hanging with us as well. And if you do, every afternoon five to seven on the East Coast two to four out here on the West, and.
Speaker 5: Check our podcast search Covino and Rich and we have a bonus pod called over Promised. We had Coach Ballgame on our show this week again, episode eighty seven on Fox Sports Radio's YouTube page. But if you don't like us, we also try to bribe you in the coolest way possible. And we're giving away a swiggy lead on in today's show. The Swiggy with the Swaggy. That's our steamless steel water bottle, Rich and it's a good looking water bottle. So we're giving away prizes playing Whack Diesel triviaator. Yesterday you and I were talking off there about the difference between bribery and incentives.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think.
Speaker 4: That's a conversation in itself because we're talking about kids. If you got kids, let me give you the difference. Bribery is usually something they're supposed to do, like if you behave, we'll get ice cream.
Speaker 2: Just supposed to behave.
Speaker 4: I'm not giving no, I'm done with bribery, by the way, as a parent, no longer. Hey have a dad's I guess a zoom call. If you're quiet, we'll go get a Pokemonty. No, no, that's bride.
Speaker 2: I'm done.
Speaker 5: Incentive is reward system. Incentive is, hey, you do good on your homework. Hey, we've been working on your swing. If you get a base hit today, you get you know something, that's incentives. I'm cool with incentives. Bribery for the birds. Speaking of parenting, that's what we're wrapping up right now. Before we took football and a little NBA here on the show. We're out here as transplants in Los Angeles. Why you look at my hair when you said that, Yeah, so this is my hair? Yeah, sure it is. I didn't go to what country do people go to?
Speaker 2: Turkey? Turkey?
Speaker 5: Why do you always forget that people come back from Turkey with their heads all wrapped up because it's all inclusive. It's like, for six thousand dollars, they'll take you, they'll fly you out there, full stay, and you come back with a full head of hair. One of my buddies came back with a pumpador. I was like, dude, no way, So Anyway, we're out here in LA, and of course we're in New York sports fans, but Rich's kids are starting to lean LA Dodgers because that's all they know and that's all their friends talk about. When you're truly passionate about your teams, how do you handle that? And what are your thoughts on it? Nine on Fox Adam in Orlando, what's up at him?
Speaker 11: What's up?
Speaker 6: Fellas?
Speaker 9: How are y'all doing?
Speaker 2: We're good, man, what's up?
Speaker 9: Good?
Speaker 6: So my wife is seven months pregnant right now, who's got a little boy on the way.
Speaker 2: Congress, so appreciate him.
Speaker 6: And so I am a die I hate to admit this, I'm a diehard Jacksonville Gaguarre saying, and I would not put that on my kid to save my tick, my life.
Speaker 9: Yeah, So what I think.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna do? I don't know if you all have seen this new TikTok trend basically put out like four or five of the stuff. He's all and I'm doing Florida teams and whatever one he goes to, we're gonna I'm gonna switch. I'm still gonna love the Jags, but I'm not gonna put him through that. So whichever stuff he chooses, we'll be fans of that.
Speaker 2: It's like a kid picking what college has he's going through. I love that. Robert in Washington State with up.
Speaker 8: Hey Rob, you know what's going on though?
Speaker 10: Good morning, Hey, So just a little thing.
Speaker 8: I'm a Niner fan. I've been ever since I can remember, and I remember when I was younger. My dad, he's a single father. He would date chicks and he would accommodate his liking to their teams. He's actually a Raider fan, but I didn't know that. I started Chair for the Night who was back in the day, and here I am a lifelong Niner fan and they are a fan.
Speaker 4: So I dude, your dad wanted that booty so bad that he'd be like, yeah, whatever team the girl wanted, boy, I love your dad was chasing her.
Speaker 5: He was a fan of women. Yeah, that seems like Booty more than the fixed skin. Derek and Sokel wrapped this up.
Speaker 12: Hey, guys, just want to say good morning. I am a long time transplant from New York. I was born there, moved out here when we were when I was twelve years old. I am a diamond diehard New York football Giants fan, but I'm also a Dodgers fan being out here in l A and my family. I got twin boy and girls thirteen years old, and my wife.
Speaker 8: They all all love.
Speaker 12: The same teams I do. When I see my family sitting around during Giants games with their jerseys on, and I'm like, oh my god, what did I do? And then sometimes yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know what, it sounds like you did your job, right.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 5: That's all you can do is be a great influence as a parent. They're gonna make their own decisions up and mind up anyway.
Speaker 4: So Frank Stinger, so here's what we got coming up. We're gonna talk a little vacation. What type of vacationer are you? There's a Rory macrorere story. Have a hard time saying his name. Plus Chador Sandor had a lot of NFL quarterback stuff.
Speaker 2: Hank tight