Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: Getting some holiday shopping done this weekend. Pick up some touchdowns. They're on sale at DraftKings Sportsbook and official sports betting partner of the NFL. What else would you expect from the number one place to bet touchdowns? DraftKings has doorbuster, profit boosts and bet one get one promotions on all types of touchdown bets. The current favorite to win the Super Bowl is the Detroit Lions at plus two to fifty and the Kansas City Chiefs in second place at plus four to fifty. Be sure to check the Draft Kings Sportsbook app all weekend for flash deals that will have you dancing in the end zone. Grab some tds with Draft Kings Sportsbook. They're on sale from Thanksgiving through Cyber Monday. Download the Draftking Sportsbook app and use code hoops to opt in. That's code hoops hoops only on DraftKings. The Crown is yours. Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler in New York call eight seven seven eight hope and Why, or text hope and Why to four six seven three six nine. Connecticut Help Us available for problem gambling. Call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill, Casino and resort in Kansas twenty one plus age in eligibility varies by jurisdiction. Void in Ontario. One bonus bet per customer based on amount of initial touchdown bet and expires one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. One single use boost per customer that only applies to winnings, CE Sportsbook dot DraftKings dot com, slash promos for additional terms and responsible gaming resources. All right, welcome to hoops tonight. You're at the volume heavy Wednesday, everybody. I hope all of you guys are having a great week. I figured now, right before we head into our Thanksgiving break is the best time for us to touch base on contenders. And I've done a lot of power rankings. I've done a lot of game breakdowns. I've done a lot of film breakdowns. I've done a lot of arguing of various sorts. But I have yet to reapproach my contend rankings. And so what I'd like to do is do what I've done every time we've done tender rankings over the last couple of years, which is have my good friend Sam Vessini from The Athletic on the show to break it all down. First of all, Sam, how are you doing, man? How is life down in Melbourne? No Thanksgiving right here?
Speaker 1: Life is great. We you know, Thanksgiving unsurprisingly, given the nature of what Thanksgiving is with the Pilgrims and the Indians or the Native Americans, I'm sorry coming together and you know, having a meal that didn't really happen here. So you know, at the end of the day, my wife's father is American and by nature, my wife is an American. Because of that, she's dual citizenship. So we had like a little get together with you know, fifteen twenty people, some of my wife's parents' friends and everything. And yeah, we have a Thanksgiving meal every year, just on the weekend, not on Thursday. My Thursday will be a normal Thursday for me.
Speaker 2: Thursday is a horribly inconvenient day for us to do this giant amount of cooking and social life before we all go back to work on Friday. My wife works in retail, so she'd end up ends up having a crazy day. Then I used to work in retail ages ago, so like that is what it is. But any excuse to cook some turkey or Prime Rib or a big prime Rib family. That's something that we do around our house. But I want to start on a very basic concept, which is when we did our contender rankings to start the year, I had four teams in that tier, which was Boston. I had Denver two, and then I had OKAC three, and I had New York four. You had Boston and Oklahoma City on their own tier. I've watched quite a bit of Oklahoma City this year, especially in the last week, and I'm actually starting to view Boston as on a tier by themselves. And my case for that is not that Oklahoma City doesn't have the potential to improve, because they've underachieved a little bit offensively to this point in the season, and I know that they'll get better in time. And I'm liking their early returns on Isaiah Hartenstein, both as like a connective passer and also as a screener and all that kind of stuff. The thing specific that has me a little hesitant with Oklahoma City, and I want you to either talk me off the led to or agree, is their decision making in the half court kind of reminds me of Boston a few years ago. Where their talent is almost the enemy of their success sometimes and their pursuit of the best shot or a great shot is not quite where it needs to be relative to where Boston is, where you can tell they have their stretches of bad shot selection, but they're better at settling down and maintaining focus for longer. So what have been your concerns with Oklahoma City's offense and do you still consider them to be on the same tier as Boston.
Speaker 1: So I would have Boston. I think I said I had Boston one A and Oklahoma City one B previously. I think that if we're, you know, doing the tier system here, I would probably have Boston at number one, Oklahoma City at number two, but would have Oklahoma City. Like if Boston is the highest end of that tier, maybe Oklahoma City is like the lowest end of what a Tier one team looks like. And the reason for that is, Look, we'll talk about the offensive things that you brought up, and I think they're all valid. Actually, I do Oklahoma City's defense to start the year. Like when we talked about Oklahoma City, I think I said that they were almost guaranteed to be like a top three defense, like almost no matter what they did, that's probably where they're going to be. Do you know what they were defensively before chet Holmgren got hurt and they had to start experimenting with these like Jalen Williams at the center lineups. They were They were not just number one, they were number one by like eight points per one hundred possessions over number two. They had a ninety seven point five defensive rating in the game before chet Holmgren got hurt. So we all expected, Hey, team that was a top five defense last year goes out, gets Alex Caruso and Isaiah Hartenstein, two of what I would argue are probably in the top fifteen to twenty defenders across the entire NBA, and adding them into your lineup, along with improvement from Cason Wallace, who is another really really good defender. You know, it was very hard to envision this team not being a super high level defense, But I think I somehow underestimated how good they might be on defense. So that's where I would start and why I think that they are in that top tier with Boston because they still have all the line of flexibility that we talked about in the preseason. The ability to match high or match big with Christopson Al Horford, or matchup against Yokich, or the ability to go small, which they've now gotten to showcase with like even hyper super small lineups with Jalen Williams at the five let alone, just like the flexibility they having Chet at the five brings you in terms of five out spacing. So I'm excited about that. The offensive decision making, the overall offensive flow, especially late in games, I do agree with you generally that it can get a little bit stagnant. I think that in general, Shay gilg Just Alexander and Jalen Williams are great players, great drivers of the ball. They're not selfish players by any stretch of the imagination. I just don't know that they consistently make the super super high level reads all the time for two guys that are going to have the ball in their hands late in games. You know, It's not like Anthony Edwards level, which has been you know somehow. I don't know if he's regressed. We'll probably talk about the Wolves a little bit later, but he feels like he is certainly not taking a step forward in regard to late game decision making. They're not that level in terms of frustrating, but I do think that they need to take that next step forward in terms of being able to consistently just make the high level reads over the last five minutes of the game when defense is really tightened up.
Speaker 2: The point you made about the defense is important, and it's one that I think I've undersold in my coverage of Oklahoma City in the sense that like they have a lot of the similar kind of like perimeter athleticism, strength, ground coverage, all the stuff we've talked about, the ability to pressure the ball, keeping waves of defenders coming in the game. The one difference is Boston just has a little bit more size on the perimeter just because of the Tatum Jalen Brown piece. But I in a weird way, like I think lou Dort kind of has a lot of size in his own way, Like I don't think it's a coincidence that lou Dort made Luca feel a hell of a lot more uncomfortable than Jaden McDaniels did, for instance, last year.
Speaker 3: The piece that makes it.
Speaker 2: Different is everyone talks about Chrisapsportzincas as the rim protector. Right, It's like, Okay, we got a rim protector back. Boston doesn't really have a rim protector. This is that other element of that you know, kind of elite defensive profile that we've seen over the years that said, like Chet is a rim protector that also has ground coverage, and that is the thing that makes him so terrifying, and what makes that entire unit so terrifying is like they can engage in high level defensive you know process that we've seen around the league in terms of keeping Chet at the rim, which we've already seen, Like we've seen stuff like him communicating with guards off ball to make sure he's always the low man instead of getting pulled up.
Speaker 3: High and things along those lines.
Speaker 2: And when you combine that with the layers of perimeter d I actually would agree that I think Oklahoma City can actually get to a higher level defensively than Boston can get. There are like Oklahoma City started to freak me out a little bit in the Dallas series with their incessant challenging of the rim protectors.
Speaker 3: I said this on my show yesterday.
Speaker 2: It kind of reminded me of Boston against Milwaukee in the second round of twenty twenty two. If you remember where those idiots kept trying Brook Lopez at the rim, like the series kept oscillating back and forth when Jalen Brown and Jason Tatum would make better reads when they got to the rim, you know what I mean, Like because they had the ability to get great looks whenever they wanted to, but they would bog down too often through that bad process. And so I think, like I remember, coming into the season, I talked about how my main concerns were, like, Jalen Williams and Chad Holmgren are basically your number two, and they're very young and very inexperienced, and they're going to be asked to carry significant stretches of basketball in big moments. And so that is the part to me that I get. I just get a little bit concerned about, is just are they grown up enough to be in a big playoff game against a really good team late and to make the right decisions they need to make. Because as we look back on Dallas, Sam, Dallas is good. I think they're firmly in that second tier of championship contending teams. But I didn't think they were in the top tier last year. I thought they were a team that caught some favorable matchups and got out of the West, which means, okay, see basically got upset in that second round series by Dallas, and so I would argue they're further away than that series would lead you to believe. And so I'm just I'm just a little bit skeptical of that decision making process. What have you seen from Jalen Williams that makes you feel like he might be ready for that sort of thing this year?
Speaker 1: Everything is kind of the answer. Jaler Williams been unbelievable. If you look at his last ten games since they've been you know, basically without chat for a large portion of that run, he's really had to step up. He's averaging twenty five points, seven rebounds, six assists versus only two point three turnovers, two point two steals, one point three blocks. I think he has also sneaky taken a big step forward defensively without a lot of people necessarily recognizing yet. But by the way, he's shooting fifty seven forty ninety four over that run in his last ten games. So again, like Jalen Williams is one of those guys where I think you and I have been talking about him for like three years. As if there's a guy I'm betting on in the league right now that you know people, you can't give me enough stock of his Basically, there's not enough. There's not enough out there that I won't just buy it all and be happy with the results. At a certain point. To me, he's going to be an All NBA player, and this year he is starting to take steps toward being that. At the very least so far, I think he has been one of the ten best players in the Western Conference to this point, so you see where he is going. And I still think that there are moments kind of like we discussed where late in games they do give him the ball quite a bit, and he does need to just continue to improve small decision making issues in terms of overdriving to the basket. For some reason, and I can't quite figure out what this is, he is like the most like physical dude. He drives and slashes constantly. He is physical at the point of attack, defensive, he just does not draw fowls for whatever reason. Even in this great run where he's been unbelievable, he's still only getting three foul shots per game. I don't know if it's a I can't put my finger on if it's if it's a footwork thing where he's kind of leaning away, if it's a thing where he just doesn't have their respective officials yet. I think that might be part of it. Honestly, I can't tell why he doesn't get calls around the basket, but he does drive into the basket pretty regularly in a way that you would expect him to eventually draw fouls. That's really the next step for him, if he starts drawing fouls in the way that somebody like Jimmy Butler does, and he has the ability to do that because of his physical frame, like he can take contact, absorb it, and finish through contact. I don't I don't know. Man like that guy looks like he could be a top ten player in the league at some point. And if you have him an Shay, maybe.
Speaker 3: It's a year early.
Speaker 1: You know, maybe he doesn't work out those kind of issues and doesn't get to the line and things like that happen. But I don't know. They just might not be as good as Boston, Like Boston was terrifying last night against the Clippers at the end of the day, like they were insane. That was Christop's first game, and like you could just see the impact he had immediately, Like they start, they didn't know what to do, Like they started with zoobots on him, and then they started running, like even with bench units they at Houser and Pritchard come in, Like they'll run Prichard and Hauser as ball screeners. They'll run them as the backman in stack pick and rolls. They'll do like early exit stacks. They'll do just like late release stacks where a screener gets there. They will like run all sorts of different options in terms of trying to find you know, creative avenues in transition. If you are off even by the slightest smallest angle in transition defense, if you are overloaded to one side by one person, they will kill you because they will spread out to the three point line and they will make shots atay forty five to fifty percent clip probably in transition. So and then on top of it, you saw the Clippers trying to adjust, they would go, Okay, we're gonna put zoobots on Drew. Holiday that didn't work because then you've got a smaller guy in KP, and KP can put as.
Speaker 2: The primary defender for a stretch of that game is insane.
Speaker 1: It was just like, well, okay, I get it. Maybe you want zu bots to be the help defender and you want him around the basket. They use Drew Holliday as a cutter pretty regularly, but Drew Holliday is a freaking All Star and multi time like Gold medalist. He's able to take guys off the bounce on the perimeter. He just doesn't do it because he doesn't have to within that offense. So they just have so many different ways to beat you at the end of the day. That's my main concern and main issue if I was Oklahoma City. Look, Boston's the best team in the league. Like that's the reality of this, and their their highest level is better than anybody else's highest level. It's just whether or not they get to the playoffs clean.
Speaker 2: I think, Yeah, I'm on the same page with you. I think I would. I think I make them a slight favorite to win the title, even if Porzingis never played another game this year. Like that's that's that's how I feel about them in general as is. And so yeah, yeah, the James Harden and Porzingis thing was was a little weird because I'm just watching James Harden inattentively stand around as Porzingis just walks inside position on him and gets an offensive rebound put back, and I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, what are we even doing here?
Speaker 2: So We're on the same page there at the Boston's level one, it just sounds to me like I have okay, see, I'm kind of a separate tier and you kind of have them as just like kind of hanging on to that top tier, just kind of almost at that level. So the next two teams that have been big surprises in the early part of the season a couple of things that make it difficult to interpret. For instance, the Cleveland Cavaliers have seven teen wins, but only four of them have been against teams that are currently five hundred are better, which makes them difficult to interpret. And then the Golden State Warriors are a twelve and five in the Western Conference. Do you give either of those teams a real chance to win four playoff rounds based on what you've seen from them here in the early going?
Speaker 1: The Warriors, I think no, They're the easier answer to me because I feel like the Warriors are getting by with depth and with like eleven man lineups in Cleveland is too, by the way, Like that's an underrated thing that's happening with the Cavs, Like their bench has been unbelievable to this point, led by Tijerome, But like the Warriors, it feels like are getting by with just like a ton of really smart basketball players that know how to play the game, that know how to run that scheme. And I don't even know that they necessarily have unbelievable ways to match up with you, Like they don't have an enormous front line, right like Tray Shackson Davis is an undersized center. Kaman Looney probably isn't like totally undersized, but kun Looney just like might not be good enough anymore to like anchor a defense. So they're almost always gonna have to go small right in order to get the most out of their lineups. And if you go small against, for instance, the Denver Nuggets, if you go small against this iteration of the Oklahoma City Thunder, I think you're gonna have problems now if because they can go big against you, and they can go Hartenstein and chat once we see chet back, and that's a whole other thing, like what is Check gonna be once he gets back. From what I understand about the hip injury, it's one of these is that it's a from what I understand, it's just like a pain thing. It's not something that will like inflict upon his mobility, uh moving forward, or like even once he heals from it. It's just literally like when the pain stops kind of thing, and once the injury itself, the fracture heals, right.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 3: Fractures for a while too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I think he'll be back this year. It's just like, look, I can't sit here and tell you like the level that he's definitely gonna be back at, but that what I will say about Chet is like, you know, people look at him. He's missed his whole rookie season. He's going to miss a portion of this year. Now, don't mistake that with like a lack of toughness necessarily, Like he suffered a serious injury in that pro am game. He suffered a serious injury where he fractured that bone in his hip or whatever, uh in this game against the Golden State Warriors who were talking about and Andrew Wiggins. So don't mistake that though with a lack of toughness. Like chet Holmgren will get out there and play. He will play through the pain like if Oklahoma City allows him. It's just whether or not he's going to be able to or not. Don't don't take that, you know, one way or another in terms of his lack of pain tolerance. On the Warriors, I just don't know that they have enough talent. It's kind of where I'm at with them. Like they have a lot of depth, They have a lot of interesting depth. That cool thing about them is that if a star comes available for whatever reason this season, they are very well positioned to be able to go get that star. If they want to extend out the Stephan Curry window. They have Jonathan kaminga who they decided not to extend, which makes him a potential trade target. They have all of their picks moving forward, which gives them a number of potential avenues to create deals. Even somebody I think like Cam Johnson would really help them immensely just in terms of offensive flow, structure, consistent spacing. When Buddy Healed isn't on the court. Buddy Healed started the season incredibly well. Over the class six yes, six or seven games he's cooled way off and he's really hard to have out there defensively. So there are matchups where he's gonna have it. There are gonna be nights where he has it. But what do you do when he doesn't have it? Is a big question for Golden State on offense. For me right now, I mean, where do you fall on them? Let's let's start with us the way we go to the calves here.
Speaker 2: I found the Warriors to be kind of proof of concept of a couple of key things that you and I both believe in at a really high level in terms of our kind of like basketball worldview. And like you said depth, I think it's not just depth, it's a depth of a specific type of player, which is like a fast player who's pretty good at everything, like not necessarily.
Speaker 1: Like there's thinks fast.
Speaker 3: Yes, the big thing fast exactly.
Speaker 2: And like I've thought so much about just kind of the way the game has changed, particularly in the regular season. And I'm glad you mentioned that there's a talent limit there because this has been something that's been a difficult pill for some Warriors fans to swallow over the course of the start of the season. And I don't blame them, because every fan base can get a little bit arrogant when their team starts to rack up wins. But like there is a there is a certain type of game that Golden State can play that shows and spits teams out in terms of the way that they pressure the ball, in terms of the way that they fly around and rotate. They have these some of the sharpest closeouts I see in the league come out of Golden State and their ability to defend the three point line while also offering help there. It's it's a it's a principle that I believe in very strongly now, which is that the best foundational like trait that any roster can have is to have a bunch of big athletes on the perimeter that compete and I think like specifically on the perimeter, that can cover ground and that play hard. You need a good variety two of like different sizes and types, but you need that type of type of trade.
Speaker 3: I don't. I can't.
Speaker 2: I would argue besides foundational superstar, of which there's only four or five in the entire league, that's the most important thing you can have is a trove of athletes. Would you agree at that point as the number.
Speaker 1: Look ros, yeah, I was gonna say, like, I'll give you an example. Like Atlanta this year has been like pretty feisty and competitive for the most part, despite not having DeAndre Hunter and Bogden mcdonovich for like a majority of the year. Right. I know that they've lost like three in a row and like they haven't played super super well over the course of the last week, but like, that's a team that is feisty and in large part their biggest additions this summer, we're Dyson Daniels, Zachary Rissa Chet, guys that are feisty, that are long, they can cover ground defensively. Like, those guys really really help, I think in terms of what Atlanta is looking to do with, you know, surrounding Trey Young with talent. Right, you know, Trey Young is probably not one of those foundational superstars, but he is somebody that is an incredible offensive talent, and having those guys around him allows him just to go and be like, hey, create the offense every night, Please don't be a total sieve on defense, and you know, we trust that we'll be able to rack you know, maybe not a five hundred team, but we might get to thirty five to forty wins. Maybe the antithesis of this is another team that I'm sure we'll talk about today, The Bucks. Right the Bucks have really struggled with that, and that's a big reason why on some level they are playing below their talent level, even though Yannis over the last I would argue two and a half three weeks, this might be the best I've ever seen Yannis play on offense. Just point blank, he has been.
Speaker 2: He's been so good, otherworldly.
Speaker 1: You can maybe say the final series against the Suns, and I would hear that out as well. But like, what he's adding now is the mid range jumper and every like, it's a totally different beast to deal with with Yannis. So the fact that they don't have that foundational perimeter skill and speed and understanding of how to close out onto shooters, that is a critical, critical thing that they're missing right now, and they need to go out and find that at the trade deadline, you know, before the trade line. Frankly, hopefully.
Speaker 2: One of the things I've appreciated with the Bucks is like they kind of have found it a little bit. They found a little bit of a baseline for them for forty eight minutes at the point of attack between ajax And and aj Green, who I actually think has done a pretty damn good job guarding the ball, and he's like these converting spot ups that like damn near point and a half for possessions, so like that they kind of have like found their little formula there where. Shout out to Brooke and Giannis, by the way, those two guys have had a flashback defensive stretch here over the last couple of weeks, nothing like a nothing like a disastrous and two and eight start to kind of like to kick you in the butt a little bit and get you moving. But like, yeah, I that has become my biggest You and I have talked about this at various points over the course of the last few years, and it's manifested in different like kind of like buzzwords, but I remember for you it was ground coverage. That was the thing that you said to me in our postseason kind of conversation last year. And for me, I've been referring to it as perimeter athleticism, but it basically means the exact same thing. But I've viewed that as like the baseline and then the second piece of it, and I think some of the success that Dallas has had without Luca in the last couple of weeks has been a great example of this is creating space by allowing your big men to operate as screening and passing folcrums from the perimeter rather than occupying space around the rim. And this has been a Golden State staple for over a decade now. But this is something we've seen all around the league. The Dallas when they are trying to run offense with Luke off the floor, it's a lot of Lively at the top of the key with guards screening for each other and cutting off of them. They ran like a blender possession against the Nuggets when they beat them the other night, where they had Kyrie come running off of a Derek Lively dribble hand off at the top, but it was a fake. He didn't get it. Then Quintin Grimes came flying off the dribble hand off. He did get it. As he got it, Lively rolled, but then as he rolled he kind of dragged Jamal Murray into the payton. Nasey Marshall relocated to the top, got a little close that opportunity to be Jamal murraybou Jamal Murray, by the way, some of the worst defense I've seen ever from a player in the last couple of games from him. It's his little comment that he threw out that this was part of my video that I recorded today that just disappeared into the ether. But Jamal Murray had a Jamal Murray had a yeah for the hoops to night listeners, I did work today. You're just not gonna see the video because it doesn't exist anymore. That we had a little mac crisis today. But anyway, Jamal Murray like went out and started talking about his teammates partying partying in Los Angeles and then was the reason why they like got eviscerated by the Knicks. But anyway, my basketball worldview has come around to this idea that like, if you are not creating space around the rim by using your bigs further away from the rim as screening and passing folkrums, if you are not getting the ball side to side, if you do not have multiple ball handling threats on the floor, there's a ceiling to your offense, especially when you get to the light playoff rounds. It's something that I feel very very passionately about, and like ironically it kind of the gap to Cleveland because in the same way that Golden State, to me is proof of concept of two ideas, which is that offensive organization piece I was just talking about, in that perimeter athleticism piece, the Caves to me are kind of another example of Kenny Atkinson bringing a lot of the same ideologies to Cleveland in terms of how to play offense, how to defend as well with the switching and containing. But like staying on Golden State for a second, to put it very simply, like there right now, there's way too much like Andrew Wiggins needs to be our savior for this thing to work out, and like he's been playing really well. Like I pulled this out on my mythological show that existed earlier today. I said that Andrew Wiggins had played four games in a row and scored twenty plus points for the first time since May of twenty twenty one in this recent stretch, and he only had eighteen in the lost to Brooklyn last night. But like the previous four games, he's like he's been playing really, really well, and like I've been saying, like the Warriors need like specifically a front court type of player who can pretty reliably get them to twenty points a game efficiently and can create his own shot without having to rely on Steph And like, one of the things that's things that's happening is and this is where it went off the rails for them in the Brooklyn game last night, is their bench units really struggle to score unless Buddy Heield's just making everything. And Buddy Hild, even when he was hot, was making a lot of pretty tough, tightly contested shots. And so my thing is, like there's a lot of guys who can get hot, Like Lindy Waters can get hot and make shots. He's a little bit of a movement shooter, right Like Jonathan Kamenka can go for twenty five thirty on any given night. Like Buddyhield obviously can get hot and make shots. Brandy Pozimski can get hot and he can make shots. What they don't have is a guy who's like kind of a more consistent night to night shot creator. And what scares me for them in the big picture is like I look around the league and I'm like, Okay, Jimmy Butler makes some sense, but I don't know if he's even got the juice in the tank. Left brandon Ingram I think might be a little bit too methodical and a little bit too much of a ball stopper to make work Zach Lavine, the salary and the concerns about his health. Is there even a player that you see as a realistic trade target that could move Golden State into that tier for you?
Speaker 1: I don't know that I have an answer to that. Unfortunately, Jimmy is the answer to me. I think Jimmy, Jimmy can get ball stoppy, but he also feel like I'm on Seinfeld right now. Jimmy can get ball stoppy, but like Jimmy and do that. But I think that when he's within a scheme and within a flow like he's more than happy to play within that. Right, I don't know if Jimmy's gonna be available like the Miami Heater, a team that constantly tries to contend. The only reason that he would be potentially available is if they just decide, you know what, he's a free agent. He's not resigning this, that, and the other thing, right, and they're out of it by February. That feels unlikely to me. It's not impossible by any stretch, but like, I think they're gonna be competitive enough to where they're gonna feel like they can make a playoff run with Eric Bolstro with Jimmy Butler and give this team like one final Roadie and you know, chance at it with Jimmy and Bamcore. I don't know that it would be that expensive necessarily to go get Jimmy Butler for five months? Four months?
Speaker 2: Maybe would that changed it for you from just from the same point of matching salaries. From what I understand, it'd be like Wigans or no.
Speaker 1: I would still do it if I was them, You're getting Jimmy Butler, and like honestly with Wiggins, if you could parlay this great stretch of games into getting off of that content. But more than anything like getting off that contract, which this summer looked like it would be unmovable or like immovable whatever that word is. Uh, that is something I would probably do if I was them. I would have to think about that, like in terms of is that true or not, I'll have to I would guess that it is off the top of my head, but I'm sure that that's right now. Having like I'm trying to think like, could you do could you like Melton's deal, plus like a few other kind of things. But I'd have to really kind of dive into it, and you'd probably have to involve a third team as well.
Speaker 3: You might be able to a pretty tough fall off.
Speaker 2: Wiggins makes twenty six, but after Draymond, you got Melton at twelve, Peyton at nine, Kyle Anderson at nine, Buddy Heel at nine, Kevin Kevon Looney at eight, So like you could piece together deals, but you would give up a couple of your key role players. The way I put it on my show is like, I think it's a February decision. I think if you get to February and Wiggins is more or less the same player he's been for the last couple of years, and Jimmy Butler looks like he's got some juice but the Heat are floundering in the play in again in a terrible Eastern Conference, then you call him up and you see if you can't work something out and you try to make a run at it. But like, if Wiggins goes for twenty plus and two thirds of his games for the next two months, then I think you have to kind of approach it in a different way. But yeah, with Golden State, for me, like I think they're here. Here's where I'm at. With Golden State. I think that they are certain to finish above the play in as long as step stays healthy because of that floor that we talked so much about in terms of their perimeter, athleticism and scheme.
Speaker 3: But I don't take them.
Speaker 2: Seriously as like a top tier championship contending threat unless they get a legitimate number two next to Steph because again, every other team we're talking about just has so much more firepower at the top. It's like not even close. And so that's where I get concerned with Cleveland. I left that Celtics game way more like convinced that Boston was on another tier than so many others, Like there was a lot of stuff getting thrown out where it's like, oh, well, Darius Garland played a bad game and we were down all of our wings, and like, I want to be clear, I don't think Cleveland's fraudulent or anything like that. I think they're very clearly in that second tier of teams somewhere in there.
Speaker 3: But when I think about.
Speaker 2: Cleveland, like like when I watched that game, I felt like Boston every single time Cleveland made a push, they were able to immediately regain control, which to me is like when you see those games where it's like the team always gets close, but they can't get over the top. That to me is indicative of a trend where like the team is able to kind of like refocus, get the right shots, lock in on defense. Boston's defense has been spotty at times this season from a commitment standpoint, but then it's been like stifled, Like they had a third quarter stretch against Minnesota the other night that was terrifying, like like like where they completely put those dudes in jail. And like I think I I a lot of the stuff that I was concerned about, like, oh, they still have entry points, like Darius Garland is an easy pathway to get the calves in rotation. And yet you know what, they got a massive frontline, but as soon as those dudes start running around to shooters, it's not so massive on the front line anymore.
Speaker 3: And so like I.
Speaker 2: View Cleveland as a very well constructed team that has a very traditional built in their you know, kind of two big look in terms of like the lots of interior size, they're they're loading up in ball screens, all that kind of stuff. The concern that I have is like a lot of this is just really good organization from Kenny Atkinson that is achieving a very high floor in the regular season, that's gonna beat all the bad teams in the league and certainly compete against the good teams in the league. But when it comes down to just the strict chess match of the half court battle against a team like Boston, I just don't think that they can get there. Is there are you higher on Cleveland than I am?
Speaker 1: I think I'm probably a little bit higher. I guess I'm like a little bit higher in theory because we haven't seen what I'm about to say, like bear itself out yet, because they haven't had Max Shruce. Max Strews is like a huge addition for this team that they're gonna get back because Max isn't just a shooter. He's somebody that can guard. He can guard one on one, he can close out onto shooters like he's not I'm not gonna sit here and tell you he's like some all defense guy or even like some incredible defender by any stretch but I think he's solid on that end in a way that to me, when I watched that game against Boston, it wasn't that they just had Garland on the court. It was that they had Garland and Niang or Garland and Merrill or Garland, and like Ty Jerome has actually been like pretty feisty this year defensively, but he's not super fast, right, He gets by with like really good hand eye coordination. He's being able to that way, and he's six foot five, right. So it was the fact that they had multiple entry points. If you give Struce to them, and you know, also a coor of cos vert boys guys being wide, I think it at least could potentially limit how badly they get hit when they're in rotation and when they have to fly around and try and scramble and recover. But that's just like theory for me right now, Like we haven't seen Max Struce, and I think he's the one that does it better than anybody because he allows you to play the math game with Cleveland. He allows you to smaller if you want to, with Evan Mobley at the five, which I think is the key for them being able to match up. They did that in this game. But the problem was, and I love George Nyang as a player. I think he's been really useful this year as a shooter, as a you know, just general smart basketball player that you can have on the court. He's just not fast enough for that situation. I actually thought they made a mistake not having Jared Allen.
Speaker 3: I thought that was the star.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like to me, like Jared Allen just is a better defender on the perimeter than George Nyang. But I think they wanted the shooting. I think they wanted the spacing that comes with that. So, you know whatever, Right, the problem for them is that I don't know how anybody stops Boston. Like we just talked through their offense, right, We're talking about all of this in theory. We're talking about all this like in practicality, you need Boston to have four games where they don't shoot well coinciding with four games where you do shoot well, and we can talk about the way that they get to these shots. We can talk about the way that you know, these things bear themselves out on the court from a matchup perspective. From you know, Boston's entire offense is predicated upon finding mismatches. Right, They're gonna bring Peyton Pritchard up to screen and get Darius Garland on Jason Tatum. Right, They're gonna bring you know, George n Yang up to screen and get him onto Jalen Brown. That's the whole thing that they're trying to do. And then they're gonna collapse and then they're gonna shoot it out and spray it out and try and shoot threes, or they're gonna dump it to Drew Holliday and the dunker spot. Whatever they're gonna do. They have different ways to get there, but that's ultimately their goal. Offensively, you need to have days where you shoot well and they shoot poorly. Sometimes the shots just don't go in right. Like that that can happen where that is a thing that happens. There is a luck factor to shooting on some level. I think that it is maybe not as big as the analytics people will say from time to time, but there's undeniably thing of a luck factor where the shot goes in or it doesn't go in right. You need four days where that happens and four days where on your end you're shooting it well against a group of perimative defenders with Drew Holliday, Derek White, Jalen Brown who's a really good on ball defender, Jason Tatum, who's a really good off ball defender, Al Horford who can switch out there because Sosporzingis who's an unbelievable rim protector. You need to do that against that team. That's what makes them such a difficult problem to solve. They beat you on the math game, they beat you on the matchups game. At the end of the day, Like, that's just an incredibly hard problem for anybody, let alone Cleveland. Cleveland would be clearly number two for me in the East. Like I don't think that I like them more than I like the Knicks by like a pretty real margin right now. But it's just a it's you know, if we're trying to compare them in terms of championship tiers and contenders, it's I have worries about just anybody being beating Boston at this point.
Speaker 2: Cleveland has the similar to what we talked about Golden State.
Speaker 3: They just they're just a really good NBA team.
Speaker 2: They're well coached, they've got good players, they're super deep, they have a bunch of different ways they can beat you. It's strictly their top end that I'm concerned about, strictly within the context of the other top tier teams in the league. New York is a team that right now I'm kind of considering beneath Cleveland, but I do think they're a team that in the long run I could view higher than Cleveland. New York is hitting an offensive level here in the last couple of weeks that's kind of terrifying. They've basically been operating around a one thirty offensive rate for the blast like for the last couple of weeks, and I thought that the game in Denver was such a classic example of what makes them so tough to guard, which is the unique combination of like a superstar that consistently draws two to the ball, and then a bunch of dudes are who are professional off ball scores, like the like Michale Bridges has been scoring off the ball since he was catching skip passes and pick and roll from Chris Paul, you know, four or five years ago, right like og Nanobi has turned into one of the most gifted Like It's kind of looks a little clunky sometimes, but he's such a gifted like he's such a gifted like shot creator when a dude's chasing him off the three point line. They have so many smart players in that in that four on three that inevitably comes from every single time Jalen Brunson brings the ball out the floor, that they're just impossible to guard. The thing that's bothering me is like they literally have not played more than one or two good games of defense this entire season. Even in their wins, they're not guarding, Like they had a win streak where they won, you know, four out of five, and like they were like out of like a one to nineteen defensive rating in those four wins against like Washington and like Brooklyn and like just some really limited teams. And I have been trying to investigate this Knicks defense problem for a while, and I'm so curious to hear your opinion on it because we haven't talked about it yet. But my initial impression is it's a combination of some effort, focus, energy stuff, like specifically some of their perimeter defenders are not having good perimeter defensive seasons. And then two, there's a little bit of like a schematic thing with TIBs that's driving me crazy, which is like they like still are not doing a ton of switching even when it's Og and McHale and Josh in the action, They're still doing a lot of overhelping and lingering that's completely unnecessary. There's some of it that's unavoidable. Like teams are hunting Brunson and Kat a lot, Like I want to be clear, that's how teams are looking to attack the Knicks, but its stands so much further to that because like my thing is like the effort and energy piece I think will improve in the long run, and that to me is the gap between Cleveland. Like Cleveland's practicing being a championship team. Say what you want about whether or not they actually are. They're practicing being a championship team that is a dead serious basketball team in their daily process. Nicks not so much. That's definitely something that they can clean up there. There's no doubt that like the that Cat and Jalen Brunson are gonna get attacked a great amount over the course of the rest of the season, but there's some self inflicted damage there. And their three point defense metrics are really bad. They're giving up a ton of volume on threes, they're giving up high percentage. They're giving up a lot of spot up opportunities. In general, they are not guarding the three point line well. And like for all to talk about cat as are improtector. Their paint defense has been pretty solid. So like, what is your takeaway on what's going wrong with the Knicks defense?
Speaker 1: So, yeah, so they have looked better recently. They have won five out of six here, and it's largely due to their offense. What I will say about their defense is that I think that in part it could get fixed a little bit with Mitchell Robinson coming back. So like let's look at the positive here first and just say, hey, a lot of what I'm going to say could get solved with Mitch coming back. A big issue for me personally is that Carl Towns is a bad drop coverage defender, and early in the season they basically played only drop coverage. Over the last like two weeks, I felt like I've seen them experiment a little bit more with like having him come out to the level a little bit higher. They will occasionally, not regularly, but like at times like I've seen them switch. You know, it could have just been like a peel switch situation, but like it felt like kind of an early peel switch to me, Like I will hear out that they are adjusting and experimenting, and that Tibbs is trying to find different answers. It hasn't gone well, Like, let's be clear about that too, it hasn't gone super great to this point, but I do think that they have at least tried to solve the problem. A Towns is a really really bad drop covers defender. I think that he doesn't really understand his angles, he doesn't really understand his depth. He often gets caught in no man's land where the roller will get behind him and he's not really actually contesting the guard, and the guard is able to just get to a pull up a little bit too easily or have that lob over the top of them. The second piece of it for me is you mentioned the perimeter defense. I actually think mckail bridge has been quite poor to this point defensively. In general, I think he has not been very good this season offensively. The shot is obviously a whole other conversation, but.
Speaker 2: Did you see how many times Jamal Murray left him completely wide open just not paying attention he just was missing every shot and then nuggets that could have been a worse blowout.
Speaker 1: Teams are going to do that with them, They're going to force him to shoot. Michael's a crazy worker, and I hope that he comes available here and like comes around and is able to shoot it. Like I've never heard anything, but like Michael Bridge is like an awesome human being. So like when I say what I'm about to say, like I don't say this with joy right.
Speaker 3: Being so negative. Sam, He's been.
Speaker 1: Really bad on defense. He has been the big issue for me is that he has been incapable. When you watched him get through screens when he was younger, he like kind of used that length and like slithered around them and like found different ways to get back into recovery. Right now, he's getting caught on screens for that extra split second. I feel like his hips aren't quite as flexible as they used to be when he was a little bit younger, and he's just getting caught trying to get up over the top. He's a guy that has super long limbs, super long arms, but also a really high waist, so when he tries to get around screens, he has to like really open up his hips and then like open around and like get back around the screen. And I think he's getting clipped on those a little bit more often than what we've seen in the past from him, and that's an issue for them right now. If he's not an elite level perimeter defender, if he is on it. If I'm being completely honest, I think he's been a blow average perimeter defender this season. I will hear out you know that he's been average or whatever, but I haven't really seen that personally.
Speaker 2: Let's assume they're not getting they're not getting against bad teams.
Speaker 3: They're not.
Speaker 1: But like if you want to say he'll get to average, I still think that's a problem for them because then you have two. You know, you have og Anobi, who's a great defender. You have Josh Hart, who's like an above average defender who works his balls off and like flies around the court. Right you have an average defender in Mikale, and then you know Cat and Jalen are just guys that teams will attack relentlessly. So if you don't have that extra great defender with those two, to me, it's a real problem. So the way that you phrased this. Whenever we decided, hey, what are we going to do? Are you higher or lower on these teams than you were in the preseason in terms of them contending for a title? My answer for the Knicks right now is actually lower, and in part it's because of Bridges, and I would really like to see him fix it, but he's not playing well on either end right now. And like that deal, when that deal got done, I was literally live like doing a mock draft show with Price, my podcast partner and A we were just like stunned and befuddled when that deal happened. And then we got the price, and I was like, man, I like McHale, and I knew that the price was going to be big, and I still thought that was too much to pay for him.
Speaker 2: Superstar prices. Man, they paid prices.
Speaker 1: They paid superstar price for a guy that is a top you know, when he's at his best, right a top forty player in the league in terms of like impacting winning, top fifty player in the league, whatever it is. And it was just too much, I thought. But you know, at the end of the day, they're going to get Mitchell back. We're going to see if that can really solve some of the issues that they have defensively because they can play him and drop and then you can get Kat back to play the role that he was in in Minnesota. It makes life a little bit easier, I think for everybody, and that could really go a long way towards solving their defense, and that could make me in the end a little bit higher on them. But given that Mitchell's injury situation seems a little bit questionable in terms of when he'll be back, what he will look like when he gets back, I am a little bit lower on them than I was in the preseason. I am.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's interesting the cat.
Speaker 2: If Kat could just guard your kitchen, the post every single possession, I think he'd be considered an all defense guy. Unfortunately, there's a lot more to guarding NBA teams. I'd like the idea of Mitchell Robinson just kind of like putting them into a lot more natural positions on on a lot of Like first of all, Mitch is like one of my favorite bigs in the league at getting to the level of screens and contesting pull up shooters. He just has such a natural gift for at the timing and he's got such quick.
Speaker 3: Leaping in long arms.
Speaker 2: And then I like Kat more as a low man than I do as a ball screen defender. And then the Josh Hart stuff, Like Josh Hart brings so much good to the table, but like and there's no doubt that, like from a spacing standpoint, there would be some complications with Mitch. It gets It's not as simple as it looks though, because one teams aren't guarding Josh Hart on the perimeter. I have seen so many teams this year put their center on Josh Hart for extended stretches and just sag him into the paint anyway. And I think that Mitch can bring back some of their offensive rebounding identity in a lot of ways too. He's just always been super super good at that. So, like with the Knicks, I think Cleveland is a clear number two right now, but I give them I wouldn't be surprised if I felt differently in two three months, if they just kind of figured some of that additional stuff out before we get out of here. I want to spend about ten to fifteen minutes on the middle tier in the Western Conference. So this is a total shit show. Sacramento's lost four in a row. They're now the twelve seed, but like you just know that they're going to have a stretch where they win eight out of nine games, and they've been devastated by injuries, and it's been deer and Fox just playing one on five every game. Even Portland scrappy and difficult. Like, as much as we talk trash about the Pelicans, they will get healthier at some point in the season and rip off some wins at some point. San Antonio is like it's the classic home road team, Like if there they are just a huge pain in the butt to beat in San Antonio, and that's just something that's going to keep them afloating the standings all season. Dallas, it's been the Lucas stuff and a lot of like kind of early burying of Klay Thompson, even though it has so much more to do with the fact that his ceiling kind of depends on Luca creating advantages for him, and so I'm not super concerned about playing the big picture. But like every team as it is shoes Denver's like atrociously bad. When Yokich is off the floor, the Suns can't do anything without Kevin Durant. The Clippers are actually like my one of my big success stories from the season. I was like, the Clippers are going to be a pain in the ass. I swear it's all these athletes. They're big in athletic called the Perimeter Memphis, same sort of thing with the home road splits. But like that, that tier in the West that is beyond Oklahoma City and Golden State is like ten teams deep, and I have no idea what to make of it. Where do you like, where are you feeling with that group? Do you have them all still in one tier? Are there a couple of teams that are separating themselves for you? How do you feel about that tier in the West right now?
Speaker 1: I mean, if you didn't mention the team that I think I might like you most outside of Denver.
Speaker 3: No, the Lakers, Oh, come on, I'm a Lakers.
Speaker 1: You just don't like. You just don't like the transition defense is the issue that'll get cleaned up. Like that will figure itself out. We've already started to see science and it's going to figure itself out. Look, I like Denver more than the Lakers, to be clear, Like I have Denver like.
Speaker 3: In the same year with the Lakers. But I do like.
Speaker 1: Denver more than the Lakers, to be clear, I was just surprised you didn't mention them. But with the Lakers particularly, Yeah, Like with the Lakers particularly, they have this incredible offensive scheme that is working really, really well in terms of actualizing Anthony Davis. Honestly, I think a big thing that it's doing that people aren't really noticing is minimizing the wear and tear on Lebron throughout the regular season, and that's going to make a big difference, I think potentially come playoff time. They have Austin Reeves, who's been like hot and cold, it feels like, to start the season. They have Dalton connect To who looks like a real hit. He's a guy that kind of elevates their starting lineup. Like it's funny. They've moved him to the bench to bring Ruby back into the starting lineup, and I think that's a mistake because when I watch when I watch Dalton, I think he's a guy that elevates your best players, but probably isn't a guy yet that can go get his own or you know, be at his best with bench players. In the NBA, So if I was the Lakers, I would have Dalton in the starting lineup in order to maximize both his potential and the players around him. Offensively. I get the defensive concerns, but the thing about the Lakers is that when you look at all the other teams in the West, Denver included certainly, and this is removing Oklahoma City in my opinion, you look at, oh, you know, like Sacramento, who I think just probably doesn't have enough juice in terms of star power, and Minnesota, who you know, obviously sold a lot of their assets to go get Rudy Gobert, but you know, has some new assets that they could potentially move if they wanted to. You can look at the Clippers, who probably doesn't probably don't have enough juice. Unles Kauai is just like a superstar. Houston's interesting. Houston certainly has more trade capital than anybody in the league if they want to use it. But I think the Lakers have the most realistic stick avenues toward improving their roster that doesn't involve, like, for instance, Houston having to upend everything it does with a star trade. Right, the Lakers can solve their issues. They have three first round picks available to go out and get like a Bruce Brown. They have a bunch of tradable contracts Ruey, Gabe, Vincent, Jared Vanderbilt, like whoever you want to bring up across the board. They have all these deals that they can move for players right within their price range. Like if they can go get Bruce Brown. To me, that's the name that I've been thinking about. That just makes an immense amount of sense. We knew that they liked him. They tried to sign him before he signed that big balloon contract with the Indiana Pacers and then got traded to the Toronto Raptors in the Sea Yakham deal. If I remember correctly right, he is the kind of player that'd be perfect for them, like a perimeter defender who processes the game at a super high level, can guard one through four, perfect like crash bang player that would take some wearing's hair off of you know, some of their perimeter players and some of their wings, Like they can go do that. Like Toronto is not contending this year, they would be able to go get give up a first round pick for Bruce Brown and it would be fine. And on top of it, the sneaky thing with Bruce Brown is that because his contract is so big right now, he's not going to get that much on his next contract exactly. You have the early bird rights to be able to retain him as well. I think he's actually like a really sneaky valuable player on this trade market. That because he hasn't played much this season, if at all, if I can remember correctly, I haven't seen him play this year. At least, he's someone that he will be a very valuable trade target as long as he's healthy at some point in December January. Dorian Finney Smith is the name that makes a lot of like sense for the Lakers. I've said, like a Dorian Finney Smith, they are on sharp deal for the Lakers solves like almost all of their problems to me right now, backup center issue solves. You know, going to get a wing who can be switchable defensively. Phinney Smith has taken like a small step back defensively, but not an enormous one. But the guys that are on the market, they have the ability to go make moves to solve their issues. Is why I like them a lot, and they're already really good. Is the thing, like the Lakers are already what eleven and seven something like that, six, ten and six. Yeah, so they're in a really good position as it is, like Denver doesn't have the ability really to go out and improve. They've moved all their picks. They would have to give up like a Peyton Watson or a Christian Brown or a Julian Strather to go make a realistic upgrade, and that's not something they should really be in the market of doing in my opinion. You can look at I don't know Minnesota. Minnesota could go make a realistic upgrade, but more than anything, their season is going to come down to whether or not Anthony Edwards can make decisions and consistently make plays at the end, and I don't know if I trust that yet. They could also just like move off of the Julius Randall experiment and decide to do something totally different with that position, but that up ends their season in some way, and that would take some time to try and work through and figure out. So when I say that I really like the Lakers, I like the potential of what the Lakers can be after February, once they eventually inevitably make their move. I think that might be the team that I it's Denver because they have the best player in the world, they have Nicola Jokic. But outside of them in the West, like, I think the Lakers are the team even honestly, I like them more than Golden State in a playoff situation. I know that might be like sacrilege to hear right now, but I would buy them more in a playoff situation. They have the star power and they have the wherewithal to be able to go get go, do moves. Golden State does as well. Though, by the way, like that's the other thing that we, you know, have mentioned a little bit. Golden State to me is a you knowd' anthony Melton and Gary Payton in two first round pays for Cam Johnson move from being ahead of you know, all these teams potentially maybe not Denver because Denver is still really good. But yeah, like that that middle tier, like those three teams beyond Oklahoma City, Golden se Denver Lakers, Denver Lakers, those feel like the three teams to me that not only have the star power but also have the potential to get better and separate themselves from the rest of this group.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when I look at I think a lot of times when we hear people talk about issues with the Lakers, they conveniently gloss over the fact that every team in that tier has major issues, you know, like like like the Kings can't guard anybody.
Speaker 3: Minnesota.
Speaker 2: I literally hate that roster like it's it is like the player that I'm highest on in the next like generation of young basketball players.
Speaker 3: But I just hate that.
Speaker 2: Team's construct so much, and I think it plays directly into a lot of the issues that ant has had over the years. Don't get me started, San Antonio. Ever since I saw how good Stefan Castle has become, I'm like all in on them for the future. Like Stefan Castle has made me go from hating the Spurs core to like loving the Spurs core, which is like kind of been a funny transformation. I just think he I think he's like the two way guard. I'll even say I think Stefan Castle's are more interesting prospect than Denvin to sell in my opinion at this point.
Speaker 1: Because it's just and so but like not even a question to me.
Speaker 2: Denver, their bench is atrocious and Jamal Murray is like literally a shell of himself it's a real problem Phoenix. The Nurkic problem is real, and like I just think they're a little redundant in there in the way that they attack on offense.
Speaker 1: But by the way, with them another team that can't really solve their problems with the trade market, right they have one first round pick and really the only functionality that they have is like moving Grayson Allen for a center or moving Nurkic, which I don't think anybody's gonna take that contract. So I completely agree with you, Like there are worlds where you could maybe try and figure out how to make something like this function, But I think they're going to really struggle to improve their roster, even though I love what they have been so far with Kevin Durant.
Speaker 2: And and that's where Phoenix to me is kind of like I don't view them as a serious threat for that exact reason that you're explaining. Like all of these teams, whether it's Golden State, Lakers, Denver, I think is a little bit trapped, as you said, like they're they have the avenues with which to improve themselves. Houston, the offense and the half quarter is just too bad. I as good as they are as interesting they are. They're the regular season wins drug or not this season. We've seen that year in year out over the last the last few years. Right Clippers obviously like it's it's a James Harden and Norman Palall team. It's hard to take them really seriously. I want to zero in on the Lake for a second because I have a very complicated opinion on them. But before I do that, I would say that I think Golden State. I have Golden State above the First of all, if Golden State played the Lakers in a series tomorrow, I think Golden State would kick their ass. I as much as I as much as I like the firepower stuff with the Lakers, the mismatch on the perimeter is so dramatic between those two teams, I think it would be a disaster.
Speaker 1: So like and to your point that you've talked about a lot, the transition defense would be an enormous issue against Golden exactly. Oh, Mike, I agree with I agree with you on this that Golden State tomorrow in a seven game series would beat the Lakers.
Speaker 2: But like, I also agree with you that if you start to talk about who can win four series between those two teams, it gets a little more complicated because obviously, like the Lakers are a bad matchup with Golden State, but they are better matchup for other teams, right, So like it gets complicated in that regard. But like I think Golden State i'd put above the Lakers, Denver I'd certainly put above the Lakers, because I actually do Jamal is gonna get Like Jamal's not as bad as he's been, He's going to be better, in my opinion. Maybe I'm just being glass half full a little too much. You have a little smirk on your face, so maybe you feel otherwise.
Speaker 1: It's not that I think he's definitely not. It's just that I don't know, Like when it goes for like when it went for John Wall, it went, you know what I mean, Like the injuries piled up and he just couldn't separate from anybody anymore. And Jamal has the shooting to fall back on. But sometimes for guys, it just goes. And I really hope that's not the case for Jamal. It's just that I don't I don't know if it is, is what I'm worried about.
Speaker 2: To your point, he hit a couple of jumpers against the knicks where it was a lot of wrist and like snap of the of the top of the shot where you can tell he was not getting a tonnel energy in his shot from the bottom, And some of these possessions where he's running around on the perimeter literally looks like me when I'm like playing when I've played seven or eight pickup games and I'm in the last game of the day and I'm kind of limping around the court. Like that's literally what what Jamal Murray looks like in some of these health defense possessions, like like where I'm just like, dude, this is an NBA game, Like you can't be this like like hob hobbling around, you know what I mean. But like, I think Denver is a team that I put above them, and then the other team I'd put above the Lakers still at this point is Dallas. In Dallas I'm a little bit lower on because I do think the trade off for Derek Jones Junior did make them less athletic, But even within that context, they do have more athletes than a team like the Lakers does, so like and I do think Luca will play better in the long run. So like for me, I have the Lakers kind of sitting as like the fifth best team in the West. Now you look like you had a thought on Dallas, because I'm about to go off on the Lakers, So why don't you give me your thoughts on Dallas real quick?
Speaker 1: No, honestly, I don't. I mean you know that you know when we did contender rankings, like at the deadline last year, I Dallas was your team five or whatever, and like, I love that team and I think they're terrific, So I guess I would put them ahead of the Lake right now. They do have some flexibility, not a ton, but like enough. I mean, the other weird team that we haven't talked about before we get to the Lakers is Memphis. Like Memphis is so weird and bizarre, and we haven't seen them with like a full complement of players yet exactly. I mean, I don't know if you watched the Portland Memphis game last night and two nights ago for when this goes live, Jamran had like twenty two and eleven in twenty three minutes and was just so far and away the best player on the court that it was remarkable. And I know it's in Memphis, whatever I can't remember for some reason. I think it was in Portland, but like I'm bad at remembering if it's home or road or not.
Speaker 2: But it was in Memphis. And every Jamaran game in Memphis is like an event. He puts on a show every single game.
Speaker 1: His speed, his explosiveness, you saw like the he is. He and Trey Young to me are the two guards in the NBA where I don't understand how they understand angles when they make passes, Like both of them can throw logrible passes left hand, right hand from crazy angles from whatever position they're in on the court. Right. But those two guys particularly, I just watch them, and Ja throws these left handed whip cross court passes where I'm just like, I'm not even sure how you saw that, let alone how you executed that. Like Jokich can do this stuff, there are wings that can do this stuff as well. Like I'm not sitting here saying they're like the best two passers in the NBA. Necessarily they're probably in the top five, but like when I watch those two, I'm just like, holy shit. And Jaw is also like the most explosive athlete in the end. He is I say, Memphis just to say that, like, if Jaw is this good, and they get Desbane and they get Jaron Jackson playing a full compliment of games, they have all of these potential options that they can mix and match with against you in certain situation and matchups. They're interesting to me. They've been playing goofy ass like Santy al Dama, Jaren Jackson, Zach Edy lineups that are like three seven footers basically, and it's just really hard to score on them. And they still have like perimeter play because of Sancy and Jaren. So they're a weird team. But I also bring them up to say that they have their full compliment of picks to be able to move if they want to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I need to see more of Memphis now that Marcus Smartin Desmond Mayne are back. They're a team that I'm gonna be zeroing in on in the next couple of weeks because like, there's there's fun, Spunky, We're winning games at home with you know, Scottie Pippen Junior and Jay Huff and and all these kind of guys, and then there's like, okay, let's get a good look at like what you know, uh, joh Desmond Marcus Smart, They've been starting Jalen Wells. It's interesting to me because I actually liked the Smart Bane Jaw trio last year, but then like the with Jared Jackson and Edie and then also with Santi al Dama and Jared Jackson, is a smaller, like kind of more spacing. Look, I need to just see more of them. Their team that I their team that I just don't have a really strong opinion about at this point on.
Speaker 3: The Lakers front.
Speaker 2: They are there's so many things that I really like about this team. I do think JJ Reddick has done a good job of at least bringing a more serious approach on a daily basis. Yeah, I love some of the concepts that he's brought in offensively in the sense that last year they were very much like a Horns team and like a lot of like you're kind of like just stack and double drag and that sort of thing. It was just a lot of like pretty standard horn stack double drag across the board. JJ's brought in the lebron and ad as a folkrum at the top of the key for off ball guard action stuff, which has been really really intriguing, and I've liked a lot of that stuff you mentioned using.
Speaker 1: Lebron by the way, they're getting there like in similar sets, like they still run a lot of horns actions, they still run a lot of double drag stuff. Yeah. I think what has done is particularly weaponized his two best players in a different way than what Darvin Ham did and that's what makes him a much better coach.
Speaker 2: Frankly, and to your point, that's I think that's that and then giving a lot more of the guard reps to Austin has definitely played a part in d Low's struggles to this point in the season. He's just been really, really bad where it gets complicated for me and before I even get there, I want I want to focus in on the starting lineup for a second. Two like that, I think that Dalton connect has to start too, because one, he's just such a natural fit offensively, because he's an off ball score.
Speaker 3: I think this is such a.
Speaker 2: Valuable talent in the NBA, A guy that you can like realistically expect fifteen to twenty five points on any given night without really having to, Like, yeah, you'll drop stuff for him when he gets hot to kind of keep feeding the hot hand. But he can play within the low of the game right and the second piece of it. He's just a really good athlete, and this is the team that does and have athleticism on the perimeter, even though he has his defensive limitations. Just like him going after a contested rebound, or him running his lane in transition, or him high pointing some sort of loose ball just looks different than it does for the other Laker guards. Which is why I kind of lean more towards the trade you presented to me on the phone the other day, which is the Dorian Phinney Smith day. Were on sharp type of move because, like I originally was in the same spot where I was like Delo's the weak link here. You gotta go get a Bruce Brown. You gotta go get a you know, Derrek Jones junior or something like that to anchor the two, and then Ruy's your three. I am in the opposite spot now where I think this needs to be an Austin Dalton Lebron ad team and a traditional three and D guy that you can put on the other team's best perimeter player makes the most sense. That's where a Dorian Finney Smith kind of falls into that spot for me. The tricky part is is I don't like a ton of the other options around the league. I think he's the one guy that makes a lot of sense because like I look at it and I'm like, I kind of like Zire Williams too, But I just don't think he's a starter. I don't think he shoots the ball well enough. There's I like Josh Green as a guy that they could potentially go after, but then again, he plays the same position more or less as Dalton connect which kind of presents some issues. So like they're a little bit more limited in terms of the types of players that can go there. Like does Jeremy Grant want to come in and guard the other team's best player every game? Probably not, right, So, like there are some limitations there, But I do think Dalton at the two is the direction they need to go in the long run. My pessimism surrounding the Lakers entirely centers around the Perimmeter athleticism piece, and I just don't know if it's something they can fix within one season. They will defend better than they have to be clear, their defense is in shambles right now for a variety of different reasons, mostly centering around transition and the offensive glass. They're actually like a decent load up half court defense, Like they're okay in the decent half court load up situations. It's rebounding, and it is transition that is entirely perimeterive athletes. That's entirely perimeterive athletes like Lebron and ad are two of the best defensive rebounders of their generation, and they can't rebound like it is a perimeter athlete issue. And so like I'm with you in the sense that like if you told me like we were gonna be watching Oka see Los Angeles Lakers in the Western Conference Finals, I wouldn't be stunned because I do think that that stealing is in there. Anthony Davis is playing at a top five level this year. Lebron isn't even at the level I think he will be in the long run. Like there's a lot to be excited about there. It's just like I've had I've been Sam, I've been bitching about this perimeter athleticism thing with the Lakers for two years now, and Rob just hasn't done anything. So like we're where like it's hard for me to eve. It's like Jared Vanderbilt really interesting player, but like I haven't watched him play in a basketball game in so long that it's like, is theoretical to this point, he just.
Speaker 1: Doesn't get guarded either. That's the other thing, Like nobody so and so.
Speaker 2: So I just am concerned. I'm just concerned that Rob is thinking more like this team needs a third star, and like, I just don't think Rob is actually aware of the fact that the main weakness of this roster is that they've got a bunch of skill player on the perimeter that can't move or fight.
Speaker 1: It's it's funny that you say that you like the Dorian Finney Smith move more now because I'm kind of going the opposite way a little bit where I like that one first originally, probably because it was like my first thought and I was like anchored to it a little bit. But the more I think about it, the more I'm like, oh no, Like it's Bruce Brown's the one that makes more sense because he's the better athlete, he's the better defender on the perimeter. Like he's the guy that you can trust to go deal with like one s, twos and threes, like even with Denver right, like part of like a big part of his role was that he could play the four on offense, but could guard perimeter players on defense. And that's kind of what I think they need, Like they need somebody that will like deal with you know, the fours and can take on tough matchups or I can like just make high level passing reads and can do different things like that. But on offense, they want Dalton and you know, Austin to be the one and the two kind of like you said, on defense, having Bruce allows you to kind of play him at the two, the you know one, the three, whoever you have to shut down in terms of the matchup. He's just kind of a better defender, I think at this point than what Dorian Phinney Smith is. But what Phinney Smith adds that he doesn't is he's a fine defender at this point. Is he's longer, and he is also a real shooter, which Bruce unfortunately is not at this point. So I go back and forth on it. I think I lean a little bit more toward Bruce Brown now, but like it's a tricky it's a tricky conversation for sure, and they have to make the right decision because while I talk about their flexibility, they really have like one move that they can make without like totally selling the farm, you know what I mean. If they don't make if they decide to like go all out and you know, go get somebody, they're giving up like three first rounders or whatever, and that doesn't feel like a great plan to me either. So I like what they can do. I like their flexibility. I think they are one player away. Realistically, you can slide D'Angelo Russell to the bench, You hopefully get Jared Vanderbilt back to be able to play defense in stretches for fifteen minutes the game. Right they can solve the backup center issue, like you can find backup centers for second round picks on the trade market. Uh, they're gonna have to find They can find answers, though, I think is why I like them, Like they can go They're not a great team right now, they're not, but they can find the answers.
Speaker 2: I think the Yeah, there, I'm with you in the sense that, like, I think that that trait is such a specifically valuable trait that even if you're great at everything else, it can undercut a team.
Speaker 3: And there's it's just.
Speaker 2: I'm of the opinion that this needs to be a kind of like a too pronged approach at the deadline, which is like, they need to find a starter that they can put at the two or the three, starting caliber two way player, but they also I also think they need to add some athletes for their bench.
Speaker 3: And here's the thing.
Speaker 2: If Jared Vanderbilt gets back and he gets to form and that works out, great, great.
Speaker 3: If Gabe Vince gets at least decent.
Speaker 2: At basketball at some point in the next couple of months, that would be great. If Max Christie settles down a little bit, then maybe that's fine. But it's just I think it's more likely than not that they need a couple of different moves, and I just am not sure that I trust Rob to get it done. So in a weird way, like if you asked me to rank contenders like I still have, I had them coming into the season, I think eight, and like, yeah, they're probably still right around there, seven or eight, right, Like I'm if I look out east, I'm looking at Boston and Cleveland clearly as a level above maybe the Knicks too. If I look out West, it's clearly okay. See Golden State Denver in Dallas, so like they're somewhere around seven or eight, but like here'd be them vaulting up.
Speaker 1: We talked about the Knicks, right, would you have the Knicks of the Lakers right now?
Speaker 3: Oh, man?
Speaker 1: Because the Knicks are a team that I think have had ahead of them coming into the year.
Speaker 2: I I here's the thing I think the Lake Akers. Oh, this is such a good question, Sam.
Speaker 1: And also neither of these teams right now can win a title. But the Knicks are going to get back Mitchell Robinson at some point, and the Lakers have moves to be able to make to go get players like it.
Speaker 2: I still take lebron Ady in a playoff series over a brunts and bridges kind of brunts and bridges an Andobe group. But like I that my basketball heart loves the Knicks perimeter athletes. But then again, it just hasn't manifested the way it needs to. So yeah, I think I lean very, very slightly Lakers. But there's a part of me that goes, that's stupid, Why would you say that? So I don't that, man, you might have you might have found the two teams that I'm most evenly opinionated about that's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you.
Speaker 2: Told me, if you told me Lakers or Bucks right now, I'd be like Lakers ten times out of ten. You know, like if if you told me Lakers Suns right now, I'd say Lakers ten times out of ten. But like like the like the teams that are but yeah, the Knicks to me are like East.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would go.
Speaker 2: Utah was one of the worst losses of the season that any NBA team has had.
Speaker 1: That is accurate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, accurate, Sam, This show is exactly what I hoped it would be. I had kind of like a loose format. We ended up just completely ditching it and it was like you and I just talking hoops on the phone for some time. It was everything I hoped it would be. I sincerely appreciate you giving us your time. Can you tell our audience everything you've been working on as of Blake.
Speaker 1: Go to the Athletic Keep Me Employed over there. Go to the Game Theory podcast with Sam Fassini over on YouTube, over on Spotify, whatever podcast platform you listen to shows on. I've been doing things where I kind of steal Jason's thunder a little bit and go live after games and talk to some things that happen. We're calling it post game theory or game theory after dark. We don't really have a name for it. We just kind of talk about basketball.
Speaker 3: I like post game theory.
Speaker 1: I do too. I'm still trying to make make some different thoughts about it at this point and change minds within the fan base, because the fan base, it feels like, is sway in another way. Yeah, no, go over there, listen to the show, watch me breakdown tape by breakdown tape, you know, two or three times a night, or two or three times a week on games that happen over the course of the previous couple of days. So go there and come hang out.
Speaker 2: I talked to a lot of people about basketball on a daily basis, and whenever I have a basketball idea or something that I need to run by someone, Sam is the first person that I reach out to. He's a basketball mind that I respect a great deal. You guys need to get over to the Athletic and to the Game Theory podcast and support him. And I'm sure we'll be having you back on somewhere right around the All Star break to get into some stuff. And I owe you a show. So you got to let me know if you have some stuff that you want to talk about. But as always, we sincerely appreciate you guys for supporting us and for supporting the show. We will be back after Thanksgiving break. I was about to say tonight after Lakers Suns, but you guys are seeing this till Wednesday, so I will see you guys after Thanksgiving break for some power rankings on Monday.
Speaker 3: The volume What's up guys.
Speaker 2: As always, I appreciate you for listening to and supporting Hoops tonight. It would actually be really helpful for us if you guys would take a second and leave a rating and a review. As always, I appreciate you guys supporting us, but if you could take a minute to do that, I'd really appreciate it.