Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the Votes and Verdicts podcast hosted by Bloomberg Intelligence, the investment research platform of Bloomberg LP. In this podcast series, we talk about the intersection of business policy and law. My name is Jennifer Ree. I'm a senior analyst with Bloomberg Intelligence covering US anti trust litigation and policy. This is the third of the Votes and Verdicts podcast series focused on anti trust issues, and for this anti trust episode, I'm really excited to be joined by mort Skrosure, the Senior Director for Technology Competition Policy at the Software and Information Industry Association, which is a mouthful, so I'll be calling it SIIA if we mention it going forward now. Prior to his current role at SIIA, Moret was a non resident Senior Fellow at the Atlantic Council's Europe Center, and he served for more than a decade as counsel and senior advisor to a foreign ambassador in Washington, DC. Earlier in his career, he worked in Europe as a government official and as chief of staff to a political leader. He holds an LLB and an LM from the University of Copenhagen, where he studied under a former chief Justice of the European Court of Justice and specialized in EU competition law. Now he also has a jd from the Washington and Lee University School of Law, so he's also well versed in US anti trust law. More, thank you so much for joining me for this podcast.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for having me, Jen. It's great to be with you.
Speaker 1: He know, you and I see each other at anti trust events all the time, and we sit down and I feel like we have the most interesting conversations about just generally what's going on in the anti trust world. And it occurred to me, well, that conversation might be good for a podcast, So here we go. So mort and I are going to be talking about some propose changes the Federal Trade Commission and Department of Justice Anti DRUSS Division are making to rules and guidelines, and these changes are going to have a significant, in my mind at least a significant impact on merger and acquisition activity if the changes are implemented as they are proposed today. Now, as I mentioned, More represents a trade association that's comprised of technology and software companies. But how he thinks about these initiatives and analyzes them really generally applies to any industry impacted by the activities of the agencies. But we are also going to take advantage of Mort's deep experience with EU competition laws to discuss some legislation in New York that may actually result in New York enacting anti dress laws that are similar to those in the EU and quite different from what we've been the framework we've had in the US. So, but before we jump into these topics, Mort, can you tell us a little bit more ABOUTASIIA, still a mouthful and your role with the association?
Speaker 2: Sure? So. My role at SIIA is primarily focused on three issues. So one bucket is competition law and policy in the US and Europe. Another bucket is content moderation slash Section two thirty issues, and the third bucket is made up of some discrete transatlantic digital issues such as the EUS Digital Services Act, the EU Data Act, and data flows. With respect to SIA, we're as an organization, we're dedicated to the business of information. We represent about three hundred and fifty large and small companies across the industry. Our members provide the platforms, data, content and information that drive the global economy, informs financial networks, and connects students and educators. And to give you just a couple of examples, policy Division of which I'm a part. We work to shape technology and information policies to foster innovation and protect consumer welfare. Our Financial Information Services Division or PHIZZZ, on the other hand, it is the global form of choice for financial information services companies and professionals UH and where they can engage on trends in their industry. Great.
Speaker 1: Now, I guess I should ask you, since you said fizz D, whether i'm s I I A is correct or do you say CIA.
Speaker 2: We said it's called s I I A H it is an out though I agree. I mean, I still you know, I've been here for a while. I still mix it up from.
Speaker 1: There, right, And I get that, you know what, what more described it seems so very focused on, you know, tech and tech companies, but really when he's looking at anti trust policy, you know, he's thinking about how that policy is can impact tech companies. But that same policy and the way it could impact a tech company will impact any industry that is basically engaging in m and A mergers and acquisitions activity and has to file before the Federal Trade Commissioner, Department of Justice, and deal with a potential following investigation. So let's move into this. I mentioned that there are these initiatives at the FTC and DJ and in my mind, for all intents and purposes, it's really intended to combat consolidation across many industries. The antitrust enforcers appointed by the Bid Administration have made it really clear that they're going to aggressively seek to slower stop consolidation, and we've definitely seen a lot of activity aligned with this goal. So what I'm going to start with are something a lot of people probably have never even heard of, but they are proposed changes to the heart Scott Redino filing rules sometimes called HSR filing rules. So let's start just with background more. Do you just want to explain what HSR is and what HSR notification rules are?
Speaker 2: Sure, So, between nineteen forty when Congress passed the Clayton Act in nineteen seventy six, there was no obligation for companies to give notice of a proposed merger. If a transaction raised anti competitive concerns, the only avenue available to the enforcement agency, so the Anti Trust Division and the FTC was to go to court after the deal had already closed and asked for a breakup. Order to remedy that, Congress passed the HSR Act that you reference before, and the HSR Act imposed an obligation to notify the agency the agencies before con consummating mergers over a certain size, and that number deal size is adjusted every year and after the last adjust deals over with a value of over four hundred and forty five point five million dollars must always be notified, and deals with a value of over one hundred and fourteen point five million dollars must be notified if certain conditions are met. And in addition, the HSRX set a timeline for merger reviews, so if these requirements are met, the parties must file what is called a merger notification and they along with that notification, they must submit some basic information about their deal. The notification also starts what is called an initial waiting period, during which the agencies conduct an initial review, and it also bars the parties from closing the deal. At the end of that initial waiting period, the agencies can decide to do nothing, which then frees up the parties to close their deal, or they can issue what is called a second request, which requires the parties to submit a substantial amount of additional information, and the second request also, or the issuance of a second request also starts a new waiting period.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. I mean, that's a great background on it all. And I should say that, you know, there are at the big law firms that tend to handle mergers I should say transactions, because they're not all mergers. There's always somebody specialized or a small group specialized that just deal with HSR. And that's it. You know. They look at a deal that's coming in, they determine, you know, does it exceed these thresholds, does it have to vile HSR? And if it's determined that they do, then they go ahead and start to prepare the materials. That's back when I practiced, that's a little bit of what I did, or at least I helped the sort of the primary people in our law firm that did that to pull those together and think about that, you know. And the thing is really, at least at this point, the majority of deals filed generally close after the first thirty days the initial waiting period, right, and rather than as important to that in depth or view.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So okay, so there are proposing changes to these rules, and I have to say that, you know, other than tiny little tweaks or thresholds changing, maybe a few exemptions being tweaked over the years that I practiced, I don't really remember any kind of major changes to the HSR. So more, what what is it they're trying to address with the changes and what are those changes?
Speaker 2: So, so the agency is you know, tying into what you said at the outset about the agencies clearly looking to you know, make it more difficult to engage in m an a activity. You know, you know they've proposed these rules or these changes to the ahs R rules, and you know, also to the merger guides before, which we're going to talk about later. So specifically as it relates to the HSR or the proposed changes to the hs ARE rule, the reason the agencies are proposing these changes is that, according to them, the information collected under the current rules and in the initial phases of an investigation doesn't allow them to conduct an effective and initial, effective and efficient initial review of a proposed merger. So what are they trying to do or what are they proposing to do? So if if these changes are adopted in their current form. The changes would substantially and I mean substantially, expand the scope of documents that the parties would be required to submit at the outset, including all agreements related to the transaction. But more important than that, actually the parties would be required to submit narrative explanations of their not only of their current business operations, but they're rationale for the proposed transaction, something that we don't have in the US, but which is fairly and in you know, in in the EU, it's fairly common in the in the UK if you notify a transaction, I should say in the UK, parties are under no obligation to notify transactions, but if they do, they're often asked to submit these narrative explanations. In essence, what the proposal would mean is that it would frontload, front load the current the current process and require the parties at the outset a lot of information that you know, they would only under the current rules they would only be required to produce if a second request is issued, and that is, you know, second requests are only issued if a deal after an initial review raises potential anti competitive concerns. It's also important to UH to point out that the agencies acknowledge that the proposed changes would increase the burden on all filers UH, and that some of these changes would increase the burden substantially on some filers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think that's that's absolutely true. You know, when I think about HSR filings in the past, I mean, they were a relatively in the scheme of things, right when when you have the legal aspects of mergers and acquisitions, they were a relatively easy thing to do. I mean, it was filling out a form. It was a small number of documents most of the time, not even in the old days of paper copies, not even a full box. And right, and companies even agree in their merger agreements, we're going to get this filed within you know, a week or ten business days or two weeks of signing the agreement, which is, you know, pretty fast work. When it comes to lawyers, I think this changes a lot of things. I mean I think this really and also I think there was no need, at least at that point in time to start to strategize. I mean, lawyers might already be internally strategizing about the deal and in whether they're might need to be some anti trust defense to the deal constructed, and what kind of arguments could be made that the deal is pro competitive. But here you may have to start thinking about that much earlier on before actually getting the deal notified at all, which is, as you mentioned, a little bit more like the way it's done in the EU. I mean, I think this is a really big change. I know you do too. On behalf of SIIA. You did submit some comments to the FTC and you outlined your thoughts and some concerns about these proposed rules. So why don't we walk through those because I thought, you know, they had a lot of merit when I look through what you all had proposed and submitted, and there are concerns that companies should have today.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, so we have we have a number of concerns. So at a very basic level, I mean, we believe that the proposed changes run counter to the legislative intent behind the HSR Act and also the express purpose of the Paperwork Reduction Act. When Congress passed the HSR Act, they said that the goal was to carefully balance the need to detect and prevent the llegal mergers and acquisitions prior to consummation without unduly burdening business with unnecessary paperwork or delays. That's almost an exact quote from the relevant Committee during its markup of the HSR Act. As far as the Paperwork Reduction Act is concerned, the purpose of that act or that law is to minimize the paperwork burden for, among others, businesses, and to maximize the utility of information collected and used by the federal government. In this specific case, as it relates to the HSR Actor, the proposed changes to the hs are rule. If you look at the agency's own estimates, I said at the outset that they recognized that it would be you know, it would increase the burden on filers. And they they say that a run of the mill, their own estimates say that a run of the mill filing under the proposed rule would take one hundred and forty four hours to complete. That is four times the current average and therefore not a trivial trivial increase, but even more than that, A recent survey of in house councils and law firm antitrust practitioners actually put the number closer to three hundred and thirty hours. And that is to say, nothing of the you know, the substantial additional cost that compliance for companies would entail. On the agency side of the lecture, there's also, I think a question of whether, as a purely practical matter, they would even have the time to review and process, or in the words of the Paperwork Reduction Act, utilize all this additional information as part of their initial review. In its most recent budget requests, the FTC requests that a large increase in funding for its Bureau of Competition, which is the bureau within the FTC that handles mergers, just to be able to maintain its current performance level and so on the basis of that, I think the answer would appear to be that the agencies actually would not be able to really take advantage of or utilize this additional information so early in the process. Together with the proposed changes to the merger guides that we're going to talk about later, were concerned that these changes or these proposed changes would have a chilling effect on merger activity more broadly, which would in our mind, deter innovation and hamper economic growth and those that are likely to be hit the hardest, or actually small companies and startups whose business models often are designed to maximize exit options. So our bottom line is this, there may be good reasons to update the current merger notification regime, like you talked about, Jen, you know, it hasn't been updated in many, many years, I think over forty years. But we do not believe that the agencies have provided a compelling or even a sufficient reason to justify the imposition of substantial new burdens without any benefit for the vast number of transactions that raise no concerns.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it really seems like, you know, some of the goal here is just to simply discourage M and A activity at its out me particularly you know you're talking about the startups that are getting hard to hit. I mean, this is an area that's created some difficulty I think for business strategies and a lot of industries because we are seeing these attempts by the Federal Trade Commission and Department of Justice to try to stop in a couple different ways. One try to stop what they call potential competition deals where an incumbent buys up a small startup. I intended just sort of quelch the competition that might be posed in the future by that startup, And you know, it makes it very difficult for those startups that really intend to ultimately get sold for a lot of money to some bigger company. This really gets in the way and it does add a lot of burdens for that startup, and I think that really impacts the tech industry. I mean, we saw the FTC challenge Meta when it tried to acquire within which sort of falls within this category, and we've seen it in the pharmaceutical area too, So you know, this this adds a burden and it could actually in some ways dampen certain kinds of innovation.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, absolutely, Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's it's a big change. And I know that they're not final yet, so we do know that at the end, they're accepting comments, they think about those comments, they discuss them. You know, it's possible that the rules will have a narrower scope. We don't know for sure. I mean, all of this is going to kind of flesh itself out next year, and nothing will get implemented till some point next year. We don't really know when. But still it's a warning that you know, companies need to think about, and it may be maybe why I mean, I feel like I'm kind of seeing an uptick in mergers now, and it may be because of companies trying to get these easier HSR filings in now before these rules change. Absolutely, let's move over to the merger guidelines because I think that's an even bigger deal in my mind. Maybe it'll impact fewer deals than the HSR changes do it, but it's a big change and also add to the burden imposed on companies to certain deals at least. So let's start again like we did with AHSR. Let's look at background. Just for people who may be listening to aren't attorneys don't really have a background in how this all works? Do you want to at least explain more what the merger guidelines are?
Speaker 2: Sure so distilled to its essence. Section seven of the Clayton Act says that mergers and acquisitions whose effect may be to substantially lessen competition and create a monopoly are prohibited. You know. The statutory language, you know, as anyone can see, is fairly vague, and because of that, the courts have played an outsized role in developing the body of law that today governs mergers and acquisition activity in the United States. Traditionally, the merger guidelines have provided a consensuve view of what the law is, and through the guides, the agencies have advised the business community, the courts, and the broader public of how they so. In other words, the agencies that the enforcement agencies intend to apply the law to individual cases. This has allowed businesses to predict, predict with a fairly high degree of certainty, what if any, actions the agencies might take in response to a proposed merger. It's important to understand also that the merger guides are what is called a policy statement, which means that they are not binding on the courts in order the courts owe them any any deference. But the courts in general have found the guides to be very helpful and have you know, are using them or have been using them fairly extensively.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and in particular, and I know you're going to get into this later, but in particular they are willing to use them many courts because at least up until now, they haven't viewed the guidelines necessarily as a political a political doctrine or a political document. They have been adopted over the years slight changes made over the years in a bipartisan manner by many different appointees from different administrations and kind of have always had the same general core and framework. I mean I am very intimately familiar with what the guidelines say because that was my main area of practice when I was a lawyer, was basically working on M and A, dealing with those guidelines and walking through them to say to the companies, hey, here is how the agencies are going to evaluate your deal. And you know, for people not familiar with the guidelines, look, they talk about competitive conditions resulting from a merger, how they might change. They look at markets, they look at competition, they look at concentration in markets, they look at potential entry, they look at coordination on price or output. Essentially, you know the competitive conditions in an industry and how those can dotions may change by virtue of a merger. So similar to the HSR changes, I think that the agencies, with some of the changes they're proposing and more you're going to get into those in a minute, are again sort of making it not only trying to sort of hamper merger activity at the outset, making it a lot scarier, let's say, to jump into one, but they're also trying to identify mergers, making it easier to identify mergers that have any trust problems easier to investigate them and potentially ease their path in court as well when they try to block those deals. So let's dig into these merger guidelines changes, so more talk to us about what the changes are trying to address.
Speaker 2: Sure, so you know, as you said earlier, Jen, I mean, it's no secret that the current heads of the enforcement agencies have been critical of what they think was or has been lax enforcement in previous administrations of both parties, and that they are looking for ways to apply the law law much more aggressively. In the proposed changes to the merger guides, these agencies say that they want these new guides, or the proposal that they have made there, they're looking to achieve three primary objectives. So they want the guides to reflect the law as written by conguerors and interpret it by the courts. I think there's definitely disagreement over whether their interpretation of what the law says and what the courts have said fifty years ago exactly exactly, But that's one of their goals. So a second goal is that they want the guides to be more accessible and transparent, and they they're also looking to provide a framework that again and their you know, in their view of reality, reflects the realities of the modern economy. They also introduce thirteen principles or guide lines, some of which we can discuss a little more in depth later, that they that the agencies quote unquote may apply in making their determination about whether a merger is anti competitive. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I have to say, in looking over those thirteen principles or guidelines that may apply, rather than providing any certainty for companies that are emerging to try to figure out how to do it and whether their deal will be considered you know, anti competitive or not, it really makes it less certain to me. I think it adds a lot of ambiguity. And I know again on behalf of s IAU submitted comments to the FDC then outlining your thoughts about these rules. So why don't you talk through you know, how you're looking at these what your concerns are.
Speaker 2: Sure, so let's stipulate at the outset that you know, conducting periodic reviews of existing policy documents and making changes of circumstances weren't from our perspective, is good and responsible government. So you know, you know, tweaks over time can certainly be be a good idea and might actually be necessary you know, as you know, as you know, as the law develops, and as you know, economic uh theories developed, and what have you. You know, in this specific case, the horizontal guidelines were last updated in twenty to ten, so it's you know, it's certainly not unreasonable to expect or to suspect that, you know, that some updates might be needed. That said, from our perspective, the draft Guidelines raise a number of issues, some of which are likely to adversely affect their persuasive value. You know, I mean, I completely agree with you, they do not really you know, the draft does not really provide much in the you know, the sense of guidance for you know, for companies and their legal advisors, and I and I suspect the you know, that will be an issue you know, for the courts as well. So but you know, among our concerns are you know, first, they primarily, as you also alluded to before, rely on old case law. The average age or the average year of the cases cited in the guides or the draft guidelines is nineteen eighty two, and the average year by number of sites is nineteen seventy five. But and I trust law today is in a completely different place than it was forty or fifty years ago. Since at least the early nineteen eighties, and I trust agent enforcement has been focused primarily on price effects and whether a proposed merger would harm consumers in a given market. Absent a showing of such harm, the agencies and the courts have been disinclined to condemn business conduct as anti competitive. And you know, from our perspective, any statement of existing law needs to acknowledge and reflect and the draft line, the draft guidelines don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'll just interrupt you there for a second before you get into more additional issues here, just to say that, you know what the main issue here is that anti trust law is common law, meaning it's developed by judges, it's developed by the courts. The laws themselves are short and vague, which means that the real, the more detailed law has been developed over many years. And most think over time, you know, as economic analysis as it applies to anti trust has been developed and honed, and as courts have looked at these issues more and more, that the law has become more sophisticated. That is, it has advanced in a way that's been good for the economy. Now, not everybody thinks that. Some people think that. Some people think it's gone in completely the wrong direction and become far too business friendly and far too antagonistic toward the anti trust laws and what the agencies are trying to do. But the the issue with using this older law and basing some of these guidelines on the older law is that we have all these new opinions that aren't necessarily aligned in new opinions that the Supreme Court may be more aligned with as well. Sir, I did mean to an interrupt it, go on with what you were saying.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, So that's our first concern. Our second concern is that, unlike previous merger guides, these or the draft exhibits a clear and we've talked about this, we're alluded to it before, a clear anti merger bias, even going so far as to claim based on Digta in a nineteen seventy three case. And for the nerds out there, it's usb false that the antitrust laws reflect a preference for internal growth over acquisition. But there's simply no basis, either in law or precedent for that assertion. Add to this that the ft TC herself, in a recent interview, set that ninety eight percent of mergers rate raise no anti competitive concerns and that only a fraction of the remaining two percent merit legal challenge. And third, we also believed it is deeply troubling that the draft guidelines suggests that the agency is enjoy essentially unlimited discretion in their review of proposed deals. Merger review, as you know better than anyone, JEN is not an exact science, and so it is necessary for the agencies to have some lead when they're making decisions in individual cases. But that is very different from saying that there is no limit on that discretion, you know.
Speaker 1: And it's also very different from how a judge might look at these things. I mean, the agencies themselves cannot block a deal. They have to go to court and they have to get in order from the court, and a judge may look at these things in a very different way, particularly given that, let's say these guidelines get implement implemented, they're going to be brand new and quite different from what these judges have seen in the past. So let's I know that sii A has some concerns about specific of those thirteen guidelines. We're not going to go through all of them. We're just going to highlight the ones I think and I agree with what you've pulled out in our discussions about sort of the ones that are of the greatest concern to companies and industries. So why don't you go ahead and talk through those guidelines that for which you have concerns.
Speaker 2: Sure, I'll flag three of the of the thirteen. So the first guideline that you know that I'm going to flag here is guideline for Guideline four is concerned with the possibility that a merger might eliminate a potential entrant in a concentrated market. The relevant standard would be a reasonable properability of entry shown through either objective evidence the companies has the size or the means to enter, or subjective evidence the company has at some point thought about entering the market. But for the merger, we think there are a couple of problems here. You know, one, a large number of pro competitive mergers involved a company buying a complementary serve as a product, or, as we talked about before, a startup that augments its existing offerings in order to better serve the needs of their customers. What's more, expanding the potential competitor theory in this way would allow the agencies to conjure a virtually unlimited number of scenarios where a merger could be deemed anti competitive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, to some extent, I see this as a bit of a response to what happened when the FTC tried to block Meta from acquiring a small vertual reality company called Within. I mean, really that this is exactly what they used in court. They said, Hey, it's Meta, they have unlimited resources and talent, and if they wanted to get into it. I should say that what Within had was a virtual reality app for fitness purposes that was very popular, and they said, if Meta wants to get into virtual reality apps for fitness, they could do this on their own. They have the means, and you know, at one point in time they kind of thought about it, and the judge said, look, you know that's not really enough. I mean, you didn't really show that there there is actually the illumination of a potential entrant here. There just wasn't sufficient evidence that Meta could or you know, no matter how many resources it had, or would actually do this, and it was simply intending to expand what it offered with respect to virtual virtual reality types of apps by moving into fitness, by buying within And certainly, you know a company has a right to expand its product offerings non organically. You know, there is no rule of law that says that companies have to do everything organically.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So this seems to me a response in a way to the failure in that case, what's the next guideline for which you have some significant concerns?
Speaker 2: So we also we also have concerns about Guidelines seven, where the agencies must determine whether a merger involving an already dominant firm may substantially reduce the competitive structure of an industry. Among relevant factors are that they would according to these proposed changes to the guides, they would look at, or whether one or both firms have the power to raise prices, reduce quality, or one of the parties has at least a thirty percent market share. So the thirty percent market share in particular is really puzzling because that is not the threshold that is usually used to determine dominance under US law. The guideline is also written in a way that would allow the agencies to challenge essentially any merger where a company of non trivial size seeks to merge with another company. And what is left unexplained is how this guideline fits with the consumer welfare standard that I referenced earlier. The whole point of what is called competing on the merits is that companies seek to gain an advantage on their rivals. As long as the post merger firm generates business benefits that are crue to consumers, we believe the mergers should be presumptively legal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say that that thirty percent certainly is lower than what courts have said in the last twenty or thirty years with respect to a firm actually having market power, and not to mention monopoly power, it's nowhere near what's needed in the precedent for monopoly power and definitely below what most would think of as market power. So that has an impact on companies going forward today to deals for sure. Let's get into that third guideline that you mentioned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the third guideline excuse me that we have concerns about as Guideline ten, which focuses on mergers that involve one or more multi sided platforms. So essentially, tech mergers and our concerns here are twofold. First, you know, it's a principal matter we think it's ill advised to use generally applicable guidelines to single out specific industries for special attention and treatment. And second, the guideline uses the term conflict of interest in a way that has no connection to that term's traditional meaning legal meaning. Here it is used to describe the very common practice where a company gives preference to its own products or services over those of its competitors. And I think it's important to point out here that you know, only in very rare circumstances is that considered a violation of the anti trust laws. But even more importantly, it is not a recognized element of merger review. And so it really is a very strange guideline to throw in there, although of course it's you know, it sort of fits with the overall sort of tenor of what they're trying to do. And certainly, you know, one of their animating uh you know forces, or one of the animating forces behind this whole exercise, of course, is to to go after, you know, a tech merger.
Speaker 1: So that's just going to see this one seems very focused on trying to stop tech platforms from being able to uh, you know, further engage in fur their acquisition activity.
Speaker 2: Exactly right.
Speaker 1: And the interesting thing is that, you know, there's some acknowledgment in an implicit way, I guess by the FTC that self preferencing conduct doesn't necessarily violate US anti DRUSS laws because we heard for so long two years or more about this potential big, huge anti dress lawsuit against Amazon, and one of the elements of that lawsuit might have been self preferencing conduct by Amazon, but when the suit was brought, that wasn't part of it. So there's some so this is a way to sort of, I don't know, insert that into the law in my mind, or at least connect it to merger activity and stop mergers on that basis. And you know, again it's this one to me is pretty vague, you know. And so these are just three of the thirteen principles. And there are actually, you know, many others in the anti trust community that aren't necessarily aligned with what the FTC and DJ are doing here have expressed concerns about other principles. These aren't, by any event, you know, the only ones that could cause an impact on big companies. But the three I think that mort had really wanted to highlight, and I agree with that. But let's talk about you know, let's just assume, I mean, these are still all proposed, their comments are being accepted. They may not be implemented as written. We don't know necessarily exactly what the final product will look like. But just assuming that they are implemented as proposed. Now, from a practical standpoint for companies that are going to be trying to do transactions going forward, what do you think the biggest impact is going to be.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I think uncertainty it is, you know, our overall takeaway is you know, as you mentioned before, I mean the animating you know, principle behind this is is to I mean, I think it's hard to reach a conclusion other than it is to chill merger activity by making it as ownerous. You know, it's difficult and uncertainty or uncertain uh for interest at parties to to engage in. So I think the you know, the uncertainty is it's going to be quite significant. Uh if these uh, you know, if they end up promulgating no guides that are anywhere close to, uh, what the proposal is. But we also believe that the closer that the new guidelines are to the draft, and as we talked about earlier, its departure from existing law, uh, the higher the likelihood that they will be subject to a pre application judicial review and a possible injunction. Ah.
Speaker 1: You mean you think somebody will challenge them in court?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think even if they aren't challenged in court or that drags on and on and in the meantime they're implemented, and you know, I wonder how judges will treat them going forward when the FDC or DJ does sue to try to block a deal, because so far, you know, I've always seen that judges find the guidelines to be quite persuasive. But with such a big change, and it clearly seems to be pushing a view of the law that the FDC would like to see, would like to see, rather than probably what exists today, I'm not really sure how they'll be received by judges who are looking at these deals.
Speaker 2: I mean, I completely agree, Yeah, And.
Speaker 1: Do you think you know, I've seen both sides of this, But it seemed to me when I first read these that more deals that are filed would be subjected to lawsuits to block than are today. And I don't really and that may or may not be true, because maybe also these guidelines will allow them to better screen out those deals that they initially thought my have anti competitive problems but then determined don't. But it seems to me that the FTC and d o J are both really really at the limit of their resources today with respect, and I'm not sure how they handle that.
Speaker 2: I mean, I completely agree, and that is I mean, that is there. I mean, that is an open question. There definitely are. There are resource constraints at the end of the day, no matter what the guides say, Uh, that will limit uh, you know, what they can do in terms of actually bringing cases uh and uh and proceeding to you know, second requests and and uh and in depth investigations. I mean, there just are limits to what they can do. But that of course does not change the fact that you know, it will inject a lot of uncertainty uh companies because you don't know and you know, like we talked about before, I mean, how much guidance do these guides really provide. And so you don't know as a company, as a as a law firm that's advising these companies, I mean you don't know what you know, what specific deals they're gonna you know, zero in on and and and and so that that uncertainty alone, we believe will have a significant chilling effect on on m an A activity.
Speaker 1: But it also seems to me that companies, big companies, big companies with resources, time and and the wherewithal to do this, will just choose to go forward and realize they just will have to fight in court, but that if they do so, they have a good chance of winning absolutely.
Speaker 2: And I think you know, I've talked to legal advisors who actually are of that mindset, uh, you know, who essentially say, you know, if you have the if you have the wherewithal too you know, to fight this out. If the agencies decide to sue, go ahead, because they're just they're not gonna be They're not going to be able to uh, you know, to bring that many cases and and and even cases they you know they can bring if you know, if you know they pursue. Uh, you know, these theories that are sort of enunciated in the guides. You know, a lot of you know, it's questionable how many courts will actually buy into them, and so and so they're you know, there is a fair likelihood that you know, that the that the agencies at the end of the day are going to end up shooting themselves in the foot by bringing cases that they can't win and so, you know, wasting resources and also is you know, essentially you know, uh, losing credibility in the process. So so that's I mean, that's certainly one, you know, one potential avenue.
Speaker 1: Or even failing to win cases that they should win because the deal is anti competitive, but they're stretched so thin that they're just not able to carry their burden in court. You know, they're not able to do the job because they're so limited in resources. And that you know, that has the opposite impact because certainly there are definitely deals that are anti competitive and probably should be blocked and it may prevent that from happening. So it'll be really interesting to see how this all plays out. But we are getting close on time, and I did have one more topic because it's really interesting, and you brought this up more to something you wanted to talk about and I think it's interesting because not that many people are talking about it. But we've seen over the last couple of years that state anti trust enforcers that really have just as much power as the FDC and DJ to go after companies have really stepped up. They've become more aggressive. They're taking things matters into their own hands. And not only are they bringing enforcement actions or joining enforcement actions with the federal agencies, but they're also talking about their own life legislation. And part of that is because and you and I talked a whole lot last year about some legislation that was pending in Congress that actually looked like it was coming close that would have had a serious impact on some of the clients of SIIA.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: One of them was about regulating apps and it was called the Open App Markets Act, and the other was something that would have banned self preferencing. And these things actually got voted out of Senate committees. But then after the election and we now have a divide to Congress, that kind of the pressure has really waned, But the pressure hasn't waned from states. So in particular, we're looking at New York and New York's talking a little bit about some legislation that's very interesting. I think it goes pretty far. Do you want to talk about what that is? Mart?
Speaker 2: Sure? So New York has what they call or would you guys call the twenty first Century and I Trust Act. And this act would do three things. It would create a state level pre your notification obligation somewhat akin to the hs R Act, but at a much lower threshold. It would prohibit monopolization and attempt at monopolization similar to the Sherman Act. And it would introduce an abuse of dominance standard that is completely foreign to to US law this law.
Speaker 1: Would you talk about that? Talk about that a little bit, because you really know, you know, you have such great EU training and that is sort of an EU concept. So talk about what that what that is?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So, so the so the abuse of dominance standard is, I mean, it's the prevalent or or the predominant standard that's used in the EU and the and the New York law or the New York Bill has its language is modeled essentially on the on on Article one oh two of the EU Treaty, and it appears to have a broader scope than Section two of the Sherman Act, and so under the New York Bill, dominance can be established through either direct evidence, you know, and that can be higher prices, it can be lower input, which is not typically how you would try to prove monopolization under the Sherman Act, or indirect evidence in the form of market shares. But the threshold that are suggested in the bill, which are forty percent for sellers and thirty percent for buyers, is a centric but it is substantially lower than what is required under the Sherman Act and the bill, So that's the abuse part of it, the dominance part of it. The bill has a non exhaustive list of what you know of what might constitute abuse, but it includes several practices such as refusal to deal that are not illegal under a federal law and and proof of pro competitive effects. Unlike under a traditional Sherman Sherman Acts Section two rule of reason analysis would not be a defense. So that's also you know, fairly fairly significant. I think it's also really really important to understand that the abuse of dominant standard as it's used in Europe UH is you know, was created in and has been applied in enforced in circumstances that are vastly different than what we have here. So for one, it is enforced by an administrative agency, so in the EU would be the EU Commission, or it could be a an enforcement agency and a member EU member state which is under an obligation to act only in the public interest. So that would be the same as obviously the FTC here the dog and a trust division or a state and I trust in enforcement agency. But here, you know, the New York bill UH would open you know, would essentially open this to the enforcement of the abuse of dominance standard to private enforcement actions by actors whose sole responsibility is to their shareholders. And it would permit class actions, and it would permit recovery of trouble damages, none of which are available to a claim if in Europe. And because of this, we urge, you know, great caution before sitting down this path, because we believe that the risks of series unintended consequences is quite high.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a real it's a real distinctive change from federal antitrust law, and most state anti trust laws kind of align with the federal laws now. And we have seen what can happen when a state's law is a bit broader. So, for instance, when Epic Game sued Apple and that went through trial in the Northern District of California, even though the judge found that Apple hadn't violated any federal anti trust laws by its conduct, it did find that at least one aspect of something Apple was doing violated a California state law against unfair competition, And so that was sort of a sword of a slightly broader interpretation, and so it puts companies really at risk when the cases are brought under both the state law and the federal law. Absolutely, all right, now we've been really sufficiently nerdy. We've been very nerdy. You cannot be nerdy when you're talking about anti trust. So I'm going to do something. We're going to do something here that's also nerdy, but in a very different way, more fun. So it's your last question, and that question is if you were stranded on a desert island, what music would you want with you? Now, I'm not going to put any pressure on you here, but from Mick mulvaney, who was a guest in one of the very first Votes and Verdicts podcast episodes, he said, very interestingly Dire Straits, the Beatles, White Album, Mozart, and pet Shop Boys. So more, what's your list?
Speaker 2: Wow, that is a good list. They were actually playing Western Girls by the Petschow Boys at my coffee shop here in DC this morning. Like Miss mulvaney, my taste in music is fairly eclectic, but my two all time favorite singers are Al Jio and Michael McDonald, so a healthy dose of their music would be a must. In addition, I really really love Barber's Adagio for strings, especially recording I have where the maestro Leonard Bernstein conducts the New York Philharmonic and around the holidays. I also I also really enjoy listening to a choral piece by my name, say my namesake, Morton Lawrence called Omagnum Mysterium. So I mean I can think of others too, but those would definitely be my top four.
Speaker 1: Well, I would say that's equally as eclectic, and I have to go and listen to some of that the great answers, So we're going to close this out here more. Thank you so much for being with us for this episode of Votes and Verdicts, and for anybody listening, please watch for our next episode, which will be coming soon. It's also going to deal with policy and regulatory issues and big tech. My colleagues Matt Chettenhelm and Tamlin Basin will be hosting that one, and it should be pretty interesting too. And with that we'll just say thank you very much.