Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's the final hour on this Friday before we head down to New Orleans. We'll catch up with Seatan O'Connor. He's on the road to New Orleans here in a moment with the French Kid. He took the Mako van down there, stopped at Maco stores along the way and shaking hands and kissing babies. We'll talk to him coming up here in a moment. It's a meat Friday. It's Philly Cheese, steaks and beer battered fries. Who has it better than we do? No body I like to hear that had a little bit more enthusiasm. We found out that Tyler didn't want to have Kansas City ribs because he's pulling for the Philadelphia Eagles. That's why we have Philly Cheese takes the beer battered fries. I don't know what that's in reference to, but we'll take it all right. Eight seven seven three DP show email address DP at Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show. Comedian Jim Gaffigan is going to stop by here in a little bit. The NBA All Stars were announced. Victor Wimbenyama got his first All Star visit here nomination as snubs. I didn't have too many arguments here. I guess Sabonis with the Kings, and I probably would have taken off James Harden, but I'm not going to nitpick there By the way, the NFL announced that concussions were down this season. If concussions were up, would the NFL have announced, Hey, want to let you know concussions are up? I know, and be in a cynic here, I am, but I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know if.
Speaker 2: They'd go, Hey, concussions are up by not not a lot, though it's hey, concussions are down. Spread the word they're down seventeen percent, yes, tod full disclosure.
Speaker 4: Twenty three and a half more concussions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Paul.
Speaker 5: You know those Guardian caps, the puffy things. For a few years they've had those. Whoever the guy is or person is who came up with the the slip cover or whatever it is with the team logo with the garden caps, I think that person deser's a lot of credit because stand alone, those guarden caps are not cool looking.
Speaker 3: No, do you get an sp like, what do you give them? I don't know.
Speaker 2: I can't give them like Sportsmen of the Year, Pulitzer contributions to the game, Oh, like Hall of Fame stuff. What this is gonna mean for helmets in the future.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, Tom, you put a little weird, bubbly cover over the sp award just to really pinpoint what it was for be kind of fun.
Speaker 3: Speaking from somebody who has a terrible, terrible jersey on you all, like it's terrible? Can you explain it?
Speaker 6: About a month and a half ago, it was like two three in the morning, I'm in bed and I'm just on Instagram, and something popped up about how you can mix two different sports, two different teams that you like, And for some reason I thought it'd be a cool idea. I'm a Bronco fan and my son works at Colorado, and I'm like, maybe it'd be cool, even though orange and blue doesn't really go with black and gold at all. Maybe I order one of these shirts that's half Broncos half around of Buffalo's and I order it that I immediately within minutes got a some kind of spam warning from somewhere saying like I shouldn't I guess have made that purchase and given my credit card information. But about a month and a half later with thirty two dollars and eight cents. It came in the mail to Excel. But it fits like a medium, And Harry, I'm with a very ugly shirt that probably a nine year old may wear, and at fifty five, I'm wearing it.
Speaker 3: I know, what did your wife say when she saw what?
Speaker 4: You're happy because I don't throw things out. That got too much stuff.
Speaker 2: In the You should every time you buy something or get something, you should throw something out.
Speaker 3: But that that that's just terrible.
Speaker 4: Very loud, and the colors just don't go together at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Can I make a deal with Fritzy? So I saw something and I'm going to really throw back vintage gear. I saw a jersey, not a jersey, a shirt of the Super Bowl Broncos. If I buy that for you, Fritzzy, will you throw that in like the fire?
Speaker 4: I would agree not to wear it act or on the show ever again.
Speaker 6: But but I don't want to throw it out just because it'll be it'll be a memory of today and how I was made fun of on the show.
Speaker 3: No, it's terrible.
Speaker 8: It really is.
Speaker 2: In one of those where you go, yeah, thirty two dollars you overspent and it's only thirty two dollars.
Speaker 6: A very thin material which isn't good for the waistline. It looks like it's kind of flammable. At any moment, I could just go up and play.
Speaker 4: Just sitting here quietly.
Speaker 2: Oh there he is the man on the road. He is our Magellan, he's our Columbus, he's our Vasco de Gama, he's he's Lewis and Clark. He's Seaton O'Connor, who joins is? Okay, let's do the guessing game. Where is Seaton o connor today? The background is not really revealing any secrets, Todd, I'll start with.
Speaker 4: You Biloxi, Mississippi.
Speaker 3: Boloxi, Okay, Dylan.
Speaker 9: I'm not kidding. That was actually gonna be my guest. No way, Jackson, Mississippi. Okay, Marvin, I'm not lying. Paulie. What do I have there?
Speaker 8: Yeah? You got it? Biloxi, Mississippi.
Speaker 3: Damn, Paul Where is Seaton other?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 5: I will go with Meridan Mississippi?
Speaker 3: Meridan, I'm going New Orleans.
Speaker 10: See, well, there there is a huge clue behind me.
Speaker 3: Actually, did we all just get the landlocked? That's the water.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's the Gulf of Mexico.
Speaker 3: That's the Gulf of America.
Speaker 10: Yeah, well I'm sticking with Mexico. Could we get to name anything that we want to name it? Anyway, I'm about twenty minutes west of Biloxi in Gulfport, Mississippi. Yeah, Biloxi is pretty I got coffee in Biloxi this morning, so it's a pretty good guess.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm gonna give you guys around of applause there right, nice beach there outside of Biloxi.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's a little overcast today, but the weather has been really gorgeous all week, so yeah, it's good to be down here.
Speaker 3: When do you pull into New Orleans?
Speaker 10: We're going to Amico here in Gulfport in about an hour. Then we have We're about ninety minutes or so from New Orleans, where we have another Makeo that we're gonna stop at today and then yeah, then.
Speaker 3: We're in and any highlights along the way.
Speaker 2: It seems like this has been a highlight free trip between you and the French kid.
Speaker 10: All right, I won't be insulted by that.
Speaker 3: Low light low light lowlight free.
Speaker 10: Great? Uh no, we had we stopped at two really great barbecue places yesterday, Dreamland in Tuscaloosa.
Speaker 8: Wow.
Speaker 10: And then another place called Archibald and Woodrow's also in Tuscalusa. They were phenomenal. That was some of the best barbecue I've ever had.
Speaker 3: Wait, you went barbecue in one place in one city.
Speaker 4: We went.
Speaker 10: We hit two barbecue spots in the same city, and we're like, well, we might as well try the ribs in both places. We might as well try like a brisket sandwich in both places. That kind of thing. Yeah, it was. It was a heavy, heavy lunch.
Speaker 2: And uh, judging by the good side of the van that Maco painted, looks like that's in good shape there.
Speaker 3: It looks gorgeous.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, and a quick tour.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: The other side is uh we showed dents and dings and faded paint just to let you know what the before and after looks like.
Speaker 10: Yeah. Yeah, so far, so good. We got We're in the home stretch here, so I'm hoping that we make it there without any major incidents.
Speaker 3: All right, we haven't.
Speaker 10: We haven't been pulled over, We have no fender benders, no nothing. We're good.
Speaker 3: Gosh, I'm very proud of you.
Speaker 10: Yeah, how about that look at us doing big boy things.
Speaker 3: We'll see We'll see you at some point tomorrow in New Orleans.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, I'll see you guys soon.
Speaker 2: All right, that's seat O'Connor on the road with Maco. Uh oh, better get Maco, better make it Maco. Well all right, you know it's kind of the father of this show. I always get nervous when you know, you give the keys to the car or this case, the van to your son, and I want to make sure he gets there. Okay, Yeah, Paul.
Speaker 5: Dreamland Barbecue is in Tuscaloosa. I went there at age seventeen. Still their legendary place.
Speaker 4: That's awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But to go to two barbecue places in the same city same day, yes, Todd, and we.
Speaker 4: Got none today. I guess according to the.
Speaker 2: Moment, we should have had some barbecue today. We should have had some Kansas City barbecue. By the way, John Calipari is going back to Kentucky tomorrow is Arkansas team. Rick Bettino, who once coached at Louisville and Kentucky, said that the crowd should react this way when John Calipery comes to town.
Speaker 11: Hello, Big Blue Nation. As you all know, I'm not best friends with John Caliperry. I respect him certainly, but it was a mutual thing. The fans wanted to change. John read the tea leaves. He needed a change, and he really didn't want to leave. But what did he do for you? He brought the best talent in the history game of any university in America to Lexington. He also won a national championship. So he's coming back on Saturday, and I want all of you to show the great class that you have, twenty three thousand plus people giving him a huge standing ovation.
Speaker 3: Okay, I agree with him.
Speaker 2: You can do that, and then you can bow him once the game starts, but give him a standing ovation. He did wonderful things there and and you know, both sides benefited. You know, John needed a break. This was a mutual parting Kentucky as it missed a beat. Mark Pope's done a really good job there. John struggled with Arkansas. I think they finally got their first SEC win. But you know you benefited, well, you did, Okay, you got one of your own as your coach, former player, and John Knew had a friend at Arkansas and gave an offer that you know he couldn't refuse, you know they He didn't make it awkward. Nobody made it awkward here. It was all right, hey, this is happening. Okay, this makes sense. Okay, all right, I'm gonna go there, and then you guys are going to hire you know, a former player.
Speaker 3: Okay, good, good, see you later, yeah pulling.
Speaker 5: Is this the first ever documented mutual partying in sports history? We've always said someone else, someone chooses it. This feels truly mutual. Both sides knew what either side wanted or what the future entailed and call it. Partly said, let's no harm, no foul. I'll be at Arkansas.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But John had created this environment there that you were one and done. He was all for the kids, getting them to the NBA to make money. My problem was always, you're paid by the university. Yes, you want to have the kids come in and go to the NBA. It looks good for you know, Kentucky, But it looks really good for Kentucky when Kentucky wins championships, and they weren't winning championships. So when Rick Chino says more talent than any other university, that makes it stand out even more that you won one national championship. That was my problem. John was so proud to tell you how much money as players in the NBA made, And if I'm a booster of Kentucky, I'm like, yeah, that's great.
Speaker 3: How about we win some championships here? Yeah, Marvin, Yeah.
Speaker 7: But on the flip side, if you're a Kentucky fan, you got to think about where Kentucky basketball was before Cali Party got there with the Billy Gillespie fiasco, and years before that they had gonna they had a real drought. Yeah, before he had gotten there, So I completely understand, but I get your point. Also, they should have won at least two more national championship.
Speaker 3: He had all of this talent.
Speaker 8: Karl Anthony Townsend, Devin Booker were on the same team. That's it.
Speaker 2: I know, no, I know, but he would always say, oh, my players have made X number of billions of dollars in the NBA, and that, to me, it just kind of accentuates what you didn't do at Kentucky. Nobody had more talent and produced less results than John did. And I've said this before. He had all this talent and they won one title, but you're having freshman players play.
Speaker 3: I don't care how talented you are.
Speaker 2: Sometimes we've all been in those situations where the guy who's got experience is going to school the guy who has all the talent, and if you throw all the freshmen out there at the same time, hey, it's funder in the regular season. Now all of a sudden, your season's on the line and you start to pucker up a little bit, and that's what would happen. You'd get knocked off, knocked off early in the tournament. And a lot of that comes down to and you know, John was knocked not being a great, great time manager, game day coach, great recruiter, great frontman, showmen. But that's where you'd see these teams and you go, how did that happen? But it did? You know, it wasn't. It wasn't accidentally, You know this was this happened on almost as semi regular basis.
Speaker 5: Yeample, and that one and done talent looks fantastic. You got the players, but they're only being coached by your staff for a couple months before the tournament starts. And then teams like Villanova, remember Chris Jenkins, he was a grown man for Villanova, or that Kyle guy Virginia team. They had a bunch of juniors and seniors and that's how they won titles.
Speaker 2: Alan in Hershey, Pennsylvania, Hi, Allen, what's on your mind?
Speaker 13: Morning, Dan? Longtime fan since the CNN years. I grew up as an eighties kid and loving NFL football. I remember when the league MVPs were quarterbacks running backs. Lawrence Taylor got it one year. Even Mark Moseley, a placekicker, was named league MVP. So I guess my question for you is has the game changed that much that we have this long line of quarterback MVPs or is it the type of people that are voting for the MVP that has changed that much?
Speaker 2: Well, the importance of the quarterback and the numbers that go with it, and I you know, you can probably look at a combination of both. The game has changed because they want more passing, they want more scoring, they want more highlights. They don't want three yards in a cloud of dust. And because of that, a lot of your running backs are hybrids where they have to be like Marshall Fulk where you or you hope they are. That they can run and they can also receive. And you know, when you think about winning awards, it comes down to your quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: Did you win Super Bowls?
Speaker 2: So I get it, But this is about the NFL wanting quarterbacks to be protected. They want it easier for wide receivers to get down the field. What you can do after you know, five yards off the line of scrimmager can't do rushing the passer. I mean, all of these things, it's all catered to the quarterbacks putting up big numbers. More phone calls coming up, and we'll take a break. Comedian Jim Gaffigan will stop by. Been a while since we've spoken to him. We're back after this and the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 14: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 12: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 14: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 12: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 14: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 12: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So.
Speaker 14: Check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four percent. And if you miss any of the live show, just search kobeen on Rich wherever you get your podcast, and of course on social media that's Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Jim Gaffigan currently on his Everything Is Wonderful Tour. You can check out the new special The Skinny now streaming on Hulu as we make way for that former college football great Jim Gaffigan back on the program. All the memories, the older you get, the better you were in college.
Speaker 3: Jim.
Speaker 15: You know, it's it's one of those things where I I you know, I literally didn't barely played, so but it is a nice little fact that is like an asterisk next to my name and there's a picture of me when I walked on at Purdue. But I was literally there for two weeks. And now people are like, yeah, he beat the Big ten football.
Speaker 2: I remember that game he played against Ohio State. He was incredible. Jimmy Gaffigan was all over the field.
Speaker 15: Yeah, it's just sad that I didn't play in the NFL, you know, even though I didn't really even play Division One.
Speaker 3: A lot of hair back then too.
Speaker 15: I had some hair back there, those really good old days of hair and you know, energy stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when people see you out, Let's say you're walking into New York and you know, Sally and Tommy from Tulsa come up and go Jim Gaffigan, how much pressure do you have to be funny in the moment? Like did you have a go to joke or line that you say?
Speaker 15: You know, sometimes people will say you look like Jim Gaffigan, and I'll go, I hope I do. That guy's good looking, you know. But otherwise, you know, usually I find that I get a lot of if it's a really beautiful woman that comes up to me and has like a certain excitement. They usually always say, my grandfather is a big fan. There's it's you know, there's going to be something to take the air out of me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, is there part of you?
Speaker 2: Some comedians like to go up there and kind of in the moment make up something or degree of difficulty where they don't want to go as scripted. Are you one of those method comedians?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: At different times?
Speaker 15: I mean that's where I think a really good audience, when it's really flowing, that's when kind of magic hits.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 15: I don't want to sound like Bono. You know, it's not like the Holy Spirit is coming down and giving me words, but there is something of when you're in front of an audience that understands your sensibility and you can kind of play and uh, it's like joking around with friends. It's yeah, it really can be great.
Speaker 3: Give me the joke you wish you had written.
Speaker 15: Oh, I I mean I love you know. Larry Miller had the Five Stages of Drinking, which I think is really brilliant. I don't know if you're familiar with that, but he also has Larry Miller has a very matter of fact delivery. He's kind of one of the best from that eighties era. I love George Carlin's Chunk on Suicide, which is just so dark and so perfectly George carl And he goes right now somewhere someone's getting ready to kill themselves, you know what I mean, And just he goes through someone trying to plan their own suicide and just, you know, I can't do it that day, I got a meeting with Mavis and stuff like this, Mom's coming over. Maybe I should do it when Mom's coming over. So it's just really dark and cynical, and he does it with such glee. It's so amazing.
Speaker 3: Do you can you give us the five stages of drinking?
Speaker 15: Well, the five stages Larry Miller's five Stages, which people should google. It's because I'm gonna not do it. Justice is the It's it's a it's it's familiar. It's like you go, you know, you're like you're gonna go out with friends during the week, You're gonna have a drink, and then you'll be home by blank, you know, by eight, you'll be in bed by ten, and then before you know it, then it's the second stage. You know, it's it's midnight and you're like, all right, that's fine. If I go home right now, I can get five hours of sleep. And then the next stage is like you're drinking some blue liquid that you all you know is they clean combs with it in the barber shop, and besides, you don't even need to sleep. You're gonna tough it through. Then the next stage is you're driving to Florida.
Speaker 8: And then the next.
Speaker 15: Stage is you've met a woman who has a tattoo that says something ridiculous and she's the most beautiful woman you've ever met. And then then he talks about like the last age is when you're you leave the bar and the sun's out and it's just, you know, you feel like you're walking on the surface of the sun. It's it's simply brilliant and neat and tidy and encompasses everyone who's had that regret.
Speaker 2: You know, did you get into bad situations habits when you're on the road before you got married?
Speaker 15: Oh yeah, I mean, you know, the for me, I actually never really I went through a period where for about ten years I didn't I didn't drink or do anything because I you know, when I had a day job and I was taking acting classes and I was doing stand up at night, I would get sick once a month. So I was like, I'm just going to get rid of drinking, and so I you know, really I almost kind of started drinking when I got married. But I go through different phases. You know, now I'm now I'm I'm a bourbon drinker, and you know that would you know ten years ago that would never be the case.
Speaker 3: So have you gone on stage having been drinking? No?
Speaker 10: No, I can't.
Speaker 15: Really. I'm such a low energy guy that I can't really even eat that much before I go on stage because I'm so slow talking.
Speaker 2: He's Jim Gaffigan, the comedian, actor, writer, producer, author. Damn, that's a lot of things there, are you.
Speaker 3: Truly all of those?
Speaker 15: I mean, you know it's you know, you write a book. You know, it's like, am I an author? Or did I, you know, complain about my kids for one hundred?
Speaker 2: He is currently on his Everything Is Wonderful tour and you can also check out his new special The Skinny, now streaming on Hulu. How often do your kids your wife saying, hey, don't make this part of your act because things happen naturally at home where you go.
Speaker 3: That's funny.
Speaker 15: Yeah, it's there's no I mean, first of all, I never ask hopefully my kids would care more about if I posted a photo that they appeared in than me referencing. And I also have five kids, so when I reference a son, it can be one of the three sons, and or if I reference a kid, it can be one of five. So there is plause boll deniability for each of them. But you know when it comes to the wife, that's that's a different thing. And you know there is you know, you know the days of Henny Youngman like take my Wife. You know that you have to craft it in a way because you know an audience is savvy and and you know a guy complaining about his wife is considered hack and and people are suspicious of it. So but you can craft it in a way where you just kind of pile on yourself a little bit and then you can throw up, you know, something at your wife here and there.
Speaker 3: First comedian you saw and you said, that's what I want to do.
Speaker 15: I think I remember seeing Jonathan Winters on I think MERV Griffin or something like that. But uh, Yeah, there was something really funny about him. You know, it was all self contained and it wasn't The jokes were kind of hidden that I thought was really interesting, But I don't know, sometimes it's it's a blur, you know. And also being from Indiana seeing Letterman on TV, it just he was hit. Him and John Mellencamp were the only people that like were from Indiana that it seemed to do anything. Obviously it's not true, but like to the teenage met it was like, wow, those are the two guys that got out.
Speaker 3: What was it like the first time you were on Letterman?
Speaker 15: Oh, it's you know, it was you know, the business has changed so much, but it was the threshold of status among uh particularly New York comedians. But I would say comedians at that time it was, you know, the credit that everyone wanted because if you you know, the first ten years I was doing stand up. Obviously it's different today, but if you said you were a stand up, they would say have you been on Letterman or the Tonight Show? And if you said no, they kind of look at you like, oh, uh, you're crazy, you know what I mean? Or you're just saying that you're a comedian so it gave you legitimacy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then to hear Dave laugh if you're a stand up comedian, or if Johnny Carson brought the comedian over and you got to sit down next to Johnny, then you had made it like now, yeah, he had separated.
Speaker 15: You, absolutely. And I feel like I was the last one of my comedy peer group that really got a late night show, and it was Letterman, and I was invited over to sit on the couch afterwards, and I got a development deal. Dave and Worldwide Pants and Robert Att gave me a development deal, And that really shifted a lot of things, because if Letterman thought you were funny, then people in the entertainment industry were much more open to viewing you as talented, because it's the entertainment industry is so risk averse, Like we have this notion that people are discovered in soda shops, but like really that, you know, people try and eliminate any risk.
Speaker 2: Obviously, we'll have fun on the road. Jim Gaffigan a man of many hats. Well he's got one hat on, but he's a comedian, actor, writer, producer, author, and a football legend. The New Special The Skinny now streaming on Hulu.
Speaker 3: Thanks Jim, thank you so much, appreciate it. And that's Jim Gaffigan.
Speaker 2: Jim, you know you've watched his act and you know he's not blue, by the way, which is refreshing. And he does bring out stories just being a day and five kids and all those things.
Speaker 3: So observational humor, Tom, that's what we're looking for.
Speaker 4: He's got the observation and the huge.
Speaker 3: Yes, you have the observation, you just don't have the humor.
Speaker 4: Right that in three dollars it gets you on the d trail.
Speaker 3: And you have you go blue when when you go bad, you go blue.
Speaker 6: Yes, I got embarrassed and frustrated, and then you're still saying curse words.
Speaker 3: Are you retired?
Speaker 4: I don't want to say retired. If I get the.
Speaker 3: Cars to do, we'd like to say retire.
Speaker 4: That's not nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, America would like to say you're.
Speaker 4: Mean on a Friday before we go to New Orleans.
Speaker 2: Okay, is there a chance maybe a pop up stand up routine in New Orleans.
Speaker 4: I haven't been working on anything, but.
Speaker 3: You weren't working on things before.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 6: I don't want to say never. It's anything because I enjoyed making people laugh, but I got to get the laugh.
Speaker 4: Point going to make people laugh. Don't just stand there on stage targeting.
Speaker 3: It's been a ten year break for you, it's.
Speaker 4: Been a long been a long hiatus for me.
Speaker 2: Dylan's done some research, which is shocking. But I asked Dylan the how do the prop with the over unders of appearances by Taylor Swift on camera count If she arrives at the stadium before the game or they show her after the game, does that count in the prop bet of over under five and a half appearances?
Speaker 9: So I reached out to our esteemed colleague Sammy P. Again okay, and he clarified it's during the game. So the broadcast start to finish during the game, the line is five and.
Speaker 2: A half and you're taking the over even though you wanted the under, but you took it for a pie to the face bet.
Speaker 9: Yep, I like the under, but I took the over look fifty to fifty odds more or less.
Speaker 8: And I'm a sportsman.
Speaker 2: By the way, Sammy P is a professional gambler. He joined us on the podcast yesterday. He had an interesting philosophy of betting. Early in the this week and at the end of this week, and then you can bet over the following week. Is that what his philosophy was, or was the other way around their deal?
Speaker 9: So do you want to if you want overs on props, take them early because I'm like conventional thinking as people lean towards taking the over on those bets.
Speaker 3: Okay, then later in the.
Speaker 9: Week, you know, even Super Bowl Sunday, take the unders once the lines have been joked opening.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was a lot of great information Danpatrick dot Com, The Dan Patrick takes a Gamble and also Shye and Irving with his reaction to Brian Schottenheimer being named the Cowboys new head coach. And it's not safe for work if you're in the car with the family with kids, just letting you know, Yes, Paul.
Speaker 5: I heard a chunk of a betting show I'm not going to name names or networks the other day and the expert on air quoting said they hesitate on over unders until they know what the weather is, or for instance, they want to wait and see what's going on in New Orleans before they make their bet. I'm like, wow, this is clearly a joke and they were not kidding. They were waiting to see what the weather would be in New Orleans before making their over under bet for the Super Bowl, double checking the games indoors.
Speaker 2: Well, if it snows again and the team has a hard time getting too the STAD, the offense, you know, can't do their walk through or something like that.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you slip on ice or something.
Speaker 13: Good.
Speaker 3: Chris and Syracuse. I Chris, what's on your mind?
Speaker 13: Hey? Dan?
Speaker 16: Thank you for getting me in. Hey, just quick comment on you Cam Newton talk. I like, I think about like everybody, I would rather have the Super Bowl ring and maybe for Cam, you know, an ancillary benefit or maybe for him would be the main benefit. If you're the quarterback of the winning super Bowl team, most likely you're going to get an MVP for the Super Bowl. And I thought it was interesting, not that it defines Cam, but one thing I always remember about him in the Super Bowl is kind of lack of enthusiasm going for that loose ball.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, is that the von Miller sacked Strip sacked Todd.
Speaker 4: That's exactly what that was.
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you, Tom.
Speaker 2: John and Wisconsin. Then we'll take a break. If you're watching on Peacock and why wouldn't you be. We'll go out to the Tragger Grills with our Philly cheese steaks.
Speaker 17: Hey John, Hey Dan, Happy to meet Friday. I just had one thing. You guys are over near Biloxi, Mississippi. There minor league team for the Brewers. My wife and I are expecting a baby in July, and I was hoping if it's a boy, to name him Yuker. Any thoughts on that or arguments that I can win with my wife?
Speaker 3: Well, I think I think middle name John.
Speaker 15: Oh.
Speaker 17: Okay, now now you sound like her, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But okay.
Speaker 2: The the one guy I know who had a name and I was shocked that he got it past his wife was Brad Johnson, who won a Super Bowl with Tampa Bay, and he told us that he was going to name his son Maximus Johnson, and I went, there is no way she's going for that. Well, he named his son Maximus Johnson, and I think he's still quarterback in college. But yeah, Maximus Johnson.
Speaker 3: So give it a shot. Yuke, yep, Yuke.
Speaker 17: I like that. She said it sounds like Cucomers. So I don't know how we're gonna make it work.
Speaker 3: But all right, Thank you John for sharing.
Speaker 2: We'll take a break, last call for phone calls, what we learn, What's in store for Monday in New Orleans, This day in sports history.
Speaker 1: After this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP.
Speaker 3: Was it last hour where you brought up that did somebody or Paulie said, did anybody ever win the Heisman in a national title? Super Bowl and a Super Bowl MVP?
Speaker 8: Correct?
Speaker 3: Okay, you found one player?
Speaker 8: Yep, just one?
Speaker 3: One quarterback?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, Paul, I don't have the answer.
Speaker 3: I don't have the answer, but I couldn't figure out a quarterback.
Speaker 10: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: The plot has thickened.
Speaker 8: So one guess, everybody, round room?
Speaker 4: Todd, do you want to guess Tony Dorsett?
Speaker 3: Tony is a good guess championship and you were actually listening to the actual question. Eleven, Dylan, you got a guess? Uh?
Speaker 5: Non QB right, Charles Woodson, that's a good guest. To Paul, I got nothing, I got nothing.
Speaker 7: Uh, Reggie Bush that is incredibly close.
Speaker 8: Running back?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Paul Marcus Allen.
Speaker 2: Loop loop nice nice Heisman, National Title, Super Bowl, Super Bowl MVP. Now sometimes you know these are draining, Yes, you know I got this is live not scripted.
Speaker 3: You know you put your reputation out there, You're gonna get things right. Do you know what you're talking about?
Speaker 5: Yes, Paul, you know you brought up a couple of weeks ago sports anger. I'm still angry by how Marcus Allen was used or not used by the Raiders. He ran for twenty five years old, seventeen and fifty nine yards League MVP. He never had a thousand yard season again, he was mostly healthy.
Speaker 2: Well, he crossed Al Davis and then he ended up in Kansas City, played.
Speaker 5: Like four more years, five more years for the Raiders and was used improperly.
Speaker 10: Well.
Speaker 2: He was a blocking back for Charles White at USC. Imagine that, you know he was the full back. Last call for phone call is what we learned. How about this day in sports history?
Speaker 3: Pauling, Just a.
Speaker 5: Couple your boy Joe Malone nineteen twenty of the Quebec Bulldogs NHL record set goals in the game nineteen sixty one Houston. They got approval for the astrodome. Fritzy's Broncos ninety nine and one Super Bowl XXXIII yep, and two thousand and three, the Chicago White Sox announced the deal. They dropped the name Comiski Park after ninety three years.
Speaker 2: John Elway the oldest Super Bowl MVP that year, right, yeah, when they beat the Falcons, Elway was the MVP, so at the time he was the Brady Brady is the oldest MV pick correct, Yes.
Speaker 3: Okay, but ahead nining. Thank you. It's it's radio, so you sometimes you have to tell people.
Speaker 4: You're the rattling of our brain.
Speaker 2: Yes, thank you to h There are a couple of cowboys. Beat the Bills, guy, remember that in nineteen ninety three.
Speaker 10: That was bad.
Speaker 3: That was bad. I was like, oh my god, this is an ugly game. Yes, Marvin.
Speaker 7: In the Bill's fourth and final Super Bowl, they were up thirteen to six at halftime, remember this vividly they might do it. It ended up being thirty to thirteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: They did socialize a lot in Minnesota. They socialized a lot. You know, I didn't care. You know, you're out, you having fun. Maybe that's the way you guys always did. But it just felt like they didn't get cheated, that they were enjoying going to the super Bowl. Let me see Steven California High Steve, what's on your mind?
Speaker 17: I already know your answer to this, But.
Speaker 3: Would you rather Cam Newton?
Speaker 17: I think how he would answer this, would he rather win an MVP or win a super Bowl and be Super Bowl MVP?
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean if you said I could be a Super Bowl MVP we won the super Bowl, I'd take that over a regular season MVP. I thought you were going to ask me what I take an individual Sports Emmy or a Dan Patrick Show's Sports Emmy, And it'd definitely be a Sports Emmy for the show.
Speaker 3: Definitely, Yeah, Mar But.
Speaker 7: Don't you already have one solo? I do, so it just makes it a little bit easier.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: True, but I'd like to share it with you guys. Thanks, Whose microphone is open? Is that you? Dylan? Clicking your pen over there?
Speaker 1: That was me?
Speaker 8: All right? I almost had the complete.
Speaker 3: Game you did.
Speaker 2: You screwed it up. You almost had a great week. I can't give you the win. You you went five, you didn't go five and five and.
Speaker 3: A third tactical blunder. Yeah, I'm sorry, darn almost almost.
Speaker 2: It'll make me, reconsider if I bring you back when Seaton's out next time to sit in his chair.
Speaker 9: Hey, it was a good run, dad, it was whatever your decision is. How about a round of applause for Dylan.
Speaker 15: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Everybody said he can't do it, and I said, no, let's give him a try. I think he's sober today. And you did a great job. Think think you're sober. He loves those white claws and I go.
Speaker 3: Oh god, what's with the white class lander. It's just terrible. It's soft, is what it screams? Soft. I'll drink anything. We had Sammy p drinking Jamison Orange. That's a little gnarly.
Speaker 2: Jamison Orange on the Gambling Podcast yesterday. And you wonder why we stumble on the topics that we do, because and Shay's not drinking anymore. What he didn't do anything? Nothing not. There's no artificial there's no performance enhancing, there's nothing. And that's shocking. All right, let's go around the room. What we learned on the program, Todd, Do you learn anything today?
Speaker 4: I did? As a father and member of a human race, Stephen A.
Speaker 6: Smith implores Lebron to stop having his son Browny playing games when he's not ready yet in the NBA.
Speaker 3: Leading with you stop?
Speaker 2: Uh, Dylan, you know what I learned in that was fun? Oh that's nice and uh, maybe we'll have you do it again. He did a pretty good job, Marvin. How bet you you.
Speaker 8: Take some bonus over James Harden in the All Star Game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Paul An infield single the ninth cost Dylan the perfect game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's almost like it was an error, like a broken bat error cost you. Todd Wood and I learned today.
Speaker 6: Rick Patino urges Kentucky Fast to give coach Kyla Parry a standing ovation tomorrow when he returns to Lexington as head coach of Arkansas.
Speaker 2: What we learned brought you by tire rack dot com, the official tire expert retailer of the Dan Patrick Show. Go to ty rack dot com. Slash Dan tried the Tire Decision Guide, full lineup of Bridgestone tires, special offers, free road hazard protection, mobile tire installation, tire rac dot com the way tire buying should be. Thank you for all your support, phone calls, emails, tweets. Will be in New Orleans all next week for Fritzie, Dylan Seaton, Marv Paulie, yours truly have a great weekend.