Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to another episode of Snake's Territory, part of the Foul Territory Network. Be sure to like this video, subscribe to our channel, maybe leave us a five star review wherever you get your podcasts. I am Jesse Friedman alongside Jack Summers and Jack We were planning to do a postgame show after tonight's Diamondbacks Cardinals game, but that game is no longer happening, as the Diamondbacks and Cardinals have officially been rained out. This game has been rescheduled for July twenty third, and Jack Paul Sewald is not happy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I don't blame him. I mean, you know, he was thinking the same thing we all were. I mean, the players all were. Why didn't everybody knew that there was going to be a day lose tonight. This has been in the forecast for days. It was obvious last night for sure that this was going to happen. Be tracked this for days, and you know, the players were talking about why couldn't they have played this game starting at noontime? You know, And now the Diamondbacks are going to have to go back to Saint Louis on July twenty third to make up this game in the middle of what should have been an off day, turning a three city road trip into a four city road trip. As Paul talked about in a tweet that Jesse's about to flash up on screen and let us know exactly what Paul had to say.
Speaker 1: Well, here it is. This is about as sassy as it gets from Paul. Seawall too is generally a very very nice person. Paul said on Twitter. No, you're right, thank you Cardinals at Cardinals for not moving our game up to this afternoon when we politely asked. Given the whole world knew it was going to rain tonight, I actually was really hoping we could lose an off day and turn it into a four city road trip. And sure enough, that four city road trip that you're at differencing is now going to happen in July. It is now part of the Diamondbacks schedule. They already were slated to go to Washington, d C. To play the Nationals and then Pittsburgh to play the Pirates. They had an off day and then another series in Cleveland Guardian against the Cleveland Guardians entering the trade deadline, and now there's going to be a game against the Saint Louis Cardinals on the twenty third, And yeah, it's a four city road trip, which is something that you really never want to happen, and you can certainly understand seawall it's frustration.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: We can speculate on how deliberate this was on the part of the Cardinals. Did they want to make the Diamondbacks come back on the twenty third, you know, coming off a series at home against the Athletics and right before they head to DC to play the Nationals. Maybe they're tired and they could take advantage of the Diamondbacks. But I think what we can say for sure is that the Cardinals wanted to play this game at night because generally you make more money that way. You're going to sell more tickets to a night game than a day game, and that presumably is why this game was scheduled at night in the first place, as opposed to being a getaway day afternoon game, which certainly the Diamondbacks would have preferred.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there's that, but you know, look the the tickets that you know, you have rain checks, right, you know, the people still would get to go to the game, but not everyone's gonna come and you can sell more tickets, you can promote the game. You got another month to promote the makeup game, and maybe at that point you can really promote it as you know, a showdown for the season series or whatever. You know, there's a lot of ways that they could have played that, So, you know, I think that it was kind of a bush move. Another peak behind the curtain here with Jesse and I, we were having a lot of fun in the run up to preparing the show, deciding words to put on the thumbnail for our show, and I was coming up with subterfuge and chicanery and all these big, long syllable words that don't well work too well with the algorithm. But uh, we went the alliteration there now run around. I hope you guys find it amusing. But there's a lot more adjectives that we could have used here to describe this. I think that just the tone of Paul's tweet kind of tells me, you know, hey, we politely asked. I mean, obviously there there was an effort there to get the Cardinals to make an adjustment here something about the NL Central, I mean, the dbacs just they run into weather there, and they've won run into a couple of teams down the last couple of years that have kind of given given them them run around when it comes to raindelays. So uh, not great, you know for the situation. On the other hand, you know, there are people out there that were happy not to have to watch Zach gallanpitch tonight, but it just means you're going to watch them tomorrow night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's hard to really come up with a silver lining here for the Diamondbacks. I guess if you're really reaching for it, you could say that they at least can kind of plan for that game on July twenty third, whereas tonight was going to be pretty rough for them. Steve Berthume talked about this on the broadcast yesterday, where if this game had been played as scheduled and even been played on time, the Diamondbacks weren't expected to arrive in Tampa until about three in the morning after this game concluded. Tampa is not that far away from Saint Louis, but it's not real close either, so it was setting up to be a pretty brutal turnaround for them tomorrow, even with that being a night game against the Rays. So at the very least the d Backs can get off to Tampa a little bit earlier and hopefully actually get some legitimate rest tonight entering that series. But on the back end, yeah, now you've got a four city road trip a mess set up in July, so hard to feel too good about that, Jack, if you're the Diamondbacks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a comment here from at trash City forty two. I think I might know who you are, and it says I'm just here so I can get the forecast for tomorrow's weather from Jack. Since I've been playing amateur meteorologist on Twitter. What I will say is the forecast is probably going to be pretty good, unless there's a hurricane. Because they're playing in Tampa Bay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's fair pretty good.
Speaker 2: They'll be playing at the Trump So unless they get a sudden you know, category twelve, you know, hurricane to rip the roof off again, I think they'll be Okay.
Speaker 1: Do you have a do you have a sense of the forecast for July twenty third, Jack, I know that's a little ways out, but can you maybe give us some assurance that we're not going to be in the same situation a month from now.
Speaker 2: Well, it's Saint Louis and it's going to be hot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Hey, there we go. You could safely safely say that Muggy out. Yes, hot and Muggy is always safe to say about really anywhere in the Midwest this time of year. Yeah, unfortunate for the Diamondbacks. In terms of the pitching plan for this weekend, I haven't seen anything official yet from the people out in Saint Louis. We'll keep our eyes peeled for that. It seems probably safe to say that Zach Gallen is just going to get pushed back a day and start tomorrow against the Tampa Bay Rays. But that sets up a bit of a weird situation for the d Backs. Jack. We had been expecting Brandon Fought to come up and pitch on Friday and then be followed by Jose Cabrera on Saturday. Now with Gallon starting Friday, I don't know what the d Backs we'll do here. Do they just push fot In Cabrera back another day, or do they maybe just leave Cabrera to pitch on Saturday and then wait until next week to bring Brain and Fought back up to the majors That that maybe could even be good for him if if he's able to get a little bit more stretched out down in Reno.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The the inference from Nick Procuoro in one of his articles yesterday, I think it was when he was talking about this, was that thought was supposed to start Friday, but that could be pushed back and impact the plans. And I kind of got the sense from the way he wrote it that it might mean that he gets pushed back or another word skipped completely. The only question I had then is where is Brandon fought right, because you have logistics involved, you know, they they would have he would have been on a plane maybe from Phoenix or something. You know, he probably was you know, he rehab assignment right with with Reno, and he probably came back to Phoenix. He's probably been you know, throwing bullpens and working out at the complex something like that, and then was probably on his way to Tampa Bay today. Right. He would have had have been on the way there today to be ready to pitch tomorrow. So I'm not really sure, you know, unless he was with the team, like on the taxi squad, may have traveled to the team Saint Louis and nobody mentioned it a lot of times that would be the case. They put a guy in the taxi squad just so that they can get him there physically. So I don't know where he is physically right now, and that's the key, right because you know, if they want him to pitch on Saturday, then he's still got to get up there. The other thing that they could do is, you know, if he's already here in Phoenix, have him pitch in a complex league game. Just get his innings in, you know, don't worry about the results, just get stretched out. Just go get your fifth up down and throw sixty five pitches and then come back out the following week to pitch. So that's the other And don't forget they do have an off day next week. Yeah, so that's the other factor. Like you say, well, just push everybody back, but basically today turned into an off day, and then they got an off day Thursday, and then that gets really awkward when you're trying to you know, push everybody back or use six starters turned through the rotation. So we're gonna have unfortunately we don't have the answers for you tonight exactly what that rotation is going to be like you know, we'll be back with everybody tomorrow night, and by then it'll be clear, we'll know what's going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is the hope. Certainly some decisions for the Diamondbacks to make in the coming days, and they also did make some decisions today. We had a flurry of roster moves happen earlier today with Mitch Bratt being optioned, Max Kepler being activated and now officially joining the major league roster. So we're going to get into that. We're going to talk a little standings, look at some of the tiebreaker situations with Diamondbacks wild card contenders the other teams that they're kind of jocking for position with. So a lot more to get to in this episode. We'll be back right here after this on Snake's territory. Well, I guess there are some Cardinals fans tonight who maybe purchase some tickets on sea Geek and are feeling a little bit disappointed right now, But hey, that's not sea Geek's fault. Sea Geek is the best place for your baseball ticketing needs, not just for baseball events, but for any event that you might be interested in attending. There are more than seventy thousand events listed on sea Geek, including concert, sports, festivals, and more. With over thirty five million download sea geek is the number one rated ticketing app and of course, one of the great benefits of being a fan of the Arizona Diamondbacks. You don't have to worry about this rain delay nonsense, this postponement situation that the Diamondbacks are dealing with right now in the Midwest. This doesn't happen in Arizona. The Diamondbacks have a roof, and in that sense it is a beautiful thing. Sea Geek has your back. Each ticket is rated on a scale of one to ten, so you know you're getting a good deal. So look for the green dots. Green means good, red means bad to help you decide how good of a deal you're getting, and you can make a great choice that way. And of course we have a code for all of you to use. You could use code Territory ten four to ten percent off on your next set of MLB tickets at sea Geek. That's ten percent off any MLB tickets with promo code Territory ten. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so that you can use it later. Thank you, Sea Geek. Well, we have a super chat here from just host zero two. It's a good one. They say, y'all see Gallon throw a no hitter. I sure did, and yes, technically that's true, right Jack, that's how this works.
Speaker 2: Well, I can guarantee that he did not give up any runs tonight. Hits. So well done, Zach Gallon Ohm.
Speaker 1: I yeah, Zach Gallen bouncing back tonight certainly would have been good to see. We'll have to wait, presumably just twenty four hours to see pitch against the Tampa Bay Rays. I imagine that is a pretty difficult piece of news for him, having to game plan for a completely different roster on the other side. But I imagine the Dbacks also had some idea that this was happening. Maybe they've already already done some of that work and he's already started to research the Tampa Bay Rays and kind of see what he's in for against them tomorrow night. The Diamondbacks, who referenced it before the break, did make some roster moves prior to this game. Mitch Brat Jack, I guess, was the headliner there. He looked pretty good in his major league debut yesterday. It was just three innings, but he allowed one run. Was maybe a little bit less efficient than he would have liked to be at fifty four pitches, but he the Diamondbacks what they needed to win that game, and considering the circumstances, looked pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. It was a fine debut. The way I described it on Twitter was short and sweet, right, I mean it was three inning outing. You know, you can't extrapolate too much from three innings, either visually or data wise, but overall he looked pretty good. I would like to see a little bit more fine pinpoint command he's ultimately going to need that. It's the only criticism, really, I've ever felt watching him on you know, the minor league games. Those broadcasts sometimes don't give the best angle, but it does seem like his delivery is a little kind of a little extra oompit the end. There is that my describing that, right, I.
Speaker 1: Mean both of his feet left the ground on a number of pitches, which is I mean, it was kind of fun to watch, but you wonder if that's not ideal from a repeatability standpoint and whatnot.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, you know, it's using a lot of leg action. Maybe he's you know, that helps him get you know, more effort without overtaxing his arm and shoulder. I think that how he injured his shoulder is something that's kind of important to kind of mention. He made an awkward throw. I think it was, you know, a tapper or a bunt, and he ran and spun and threw without his feet planted, I think, And the way it was described it was kind of like his shoulder dislocated for a second and the bone rolled over his tendons and then rolled back, and so that doesn't sound very comfortable, but you know, they described it as a minor injury. He was able to come back within what two three weeks and pitch four innings forty eight pitches. But the way it was described was, you know, yeah, you know, the only it's a pain tolerance issue. So some kind of shoulder strain or dislocation happened there and he's pitching through discomfort. Just I didn't really love those descriptions of how that all went down. But you know, he looked fine for this outing and no word of anything bothering him, and so he's got to go back now for fifteen days, so he's going to get a couple of starts in Triple A and then if they still need him after the All Star break, then you know, we'll see him. But he's got a taste of what major leagues was like, and it was it was fun to watch Jesse. I think you have something some data you saw on his fastball, which I think a lot of people are going to be interested in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think you hear soft tossing lefty, you know, low nineties, Like this stuff isn't great, but he knows how to command it. And you know, you're maybe thinking of a Tommy Henry type or you know, one of these d backs pitching prospects that we've seen in recent years that just frankly didn't have the stuff to succeed in the big leagues. And looking at stuff plus from yesterday is kind of intriguing. This is, as you and I discussed earlier today, it's really too small of a sample size to view these numbers as gospel. I think they likely would change if he continued to pitch in the major leagues. But for what it's worth, he had a one oh seven stuff plus on his four seam fastball last night, a one oh six stuff plus on a sinker. The slider came in at ninety three, so a little below average there. And the curveball there's there's no reading on fangrafts, which is a little bit odd. But the fastball in and of itself is really important. I mean, that is a huge X factor for any pitching prospect is are you able to throw your fastball in the zone? And is your fastball good enough to compete against major league hitters? Like are you just going to have to hide that pitch behind your breaking stuff all the time or can you genuinely use it to attack hitters? And a one oh seven stuff plus is pretty good for a guy who's throwing in the low nineties. It's a much higher number than I expected to see. I know his VLO was up a little bit yesterday. He averaged ninety two point two in triple A. This year it was more around ninety one, So maybe that the true VLO there is going to be more like ninety one. Probably a little amped up for his big league debut and so forth, but still encouraging. Nonetheless, Jack, this isn't just about VLO with Mitch Bratt. The movement numbers where we're interesting. He has pretty good feel to throw that pitch at the top of the zone, and it appears that it could play there at the big league level.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very intriguing to me. I mean, he threw a lot of fastballs at the top of the zone. Some were up high enough. I'm kind of was wondering, like, why are they swinging at that? But it must look you know, and that's probably where the stuff plus comes in just a shape and what it looks like in the batter's box. It's got good ride. I mean, I think the IVV only measured fifteen somewhere around there, so it's not like it had an eighteen or nineteen iv B like you see from Ryan Nelson. But something about that pitch just makes hitters think that it's coming in a little lower than it is and they're seeing it lower. But you know, you look at where it lands next to the strike zone box and it seemed well above it repeatedly, and yet he was getting lots of swings on that. So one thing that you know, I'll be interested to see when he does come back is you know, second, third time through the order, right, Yeah, once you go through the order second, third time, are they forcing him to bring that pitch down? If they're not offering at it and he's forced to bring that down into the middle of the zone, it's going to get hit unless he paints it on the corner. So you know, that's where I kind of go back to, does he have the command to do that? It's like, fine, throw it up at the top of the zone, try to get to swing and miss, or you know, get guys to pop up under it or hit a weak fly ball. But if they're not offering, then you've got to be able to paint on the owners at that velocity. You just do so that that's what I'll be looking Those are the improvements that I'll be looking for. Nothing to complain about his debut, Just I'm always thinking what's next, what's next? How do you get better? How do you improve? Sometimes that comes off as negativity to some, but I just know that this game is so hard that you have to keep just incrementally dilating and improving on your flaws or being able to maximize your strengths without your flaws getting worse in order to be successful in this game, so we're always looking for how to overcome those things.
Speaker 1: I think it also was maybe encouraging that he got decent results, and yet his command really wasn't that great in the game. His zone rate was actually forty four percent, it was only thirty three percent with the fastball, so he only threw his four seamer in the zone a third of the time, which certainly he did not intend to do. So I think just even there, it's like, hey, Mitch Bratt was able to throw three pretty decent innings, and his command, which is really his selling point as a prospect, actually was probably not nearly as good as it's supposed to be as you hope it would be moving forward. He also got some swing and miss on some sliders that were certainly not in the location he meant. The slider seemed to be up in the zone a lot more often than you would think, and yet it seemed to play surprisingly well. He was able to get four whiffs on that pitch in the game. So all that to say, pretty good stuff for Mitch Bratt in his first outing in the majors on the flip side. Unfortunately, the Diamondbacks did option him. Sounded like this was the plan going in that this was just going to be a spot start as the Dbacks waited for Brandon Fought to be on schedule to return. So I guess this is still a good opportunity, though Jack, for Bratt to go down and get stretched out more, and given how much the starting pitching depth is thin, doubt feels like the d Bacs are probably going to need him again before too long.
Speaker 2: I'm sure they will, you know, and we don't know who's going to be effective and who's not, and you know who knows. I mean, maybe they ultimately take my advice and move back to the bullpen. Then you got to move Brad up here. So that's a possibility. Yeah. Now the other moves you know that were attendant with this. They brought up one Burgos, who didn't pitch today. Burgos has not been successful yet in Reno really, I mean, you know, as Era is well north of six and the peripherals are kind of up there too. He's kind of think he's got twenty seven innings and it hasn't been great. But they must be seeing something that they like or that they felt good enough about to bring him up now. As he cycled these guys in Remember when they option him back out, they got to stay down for fifteen days. So some of the guys that they brought up and then they sent back, they can't bring him back right away. So you're really tapping into your depth. One of the things I just kind of segue here real quick. A lot of times when we talk about the bullpen and it has been really good, and we talk about like the cores six or seven guys that have been there all year, and how well they've pitched, and if you just remove the position players and a couple of guys that bombed well, then the numbers are much better. But you know, if you kind of think about it, you know, you look, these guys have pitched a lot. Your cores, six to seven guys have all pitched a lot, and somebody's going to go down at some point, hopefully not multiple guys all at once. But it's just not reasonable to accept that seven guys all on pace for over sixty games and sixty innings are going to nobody's going to come down with something right. And so how good is your depth? You know, how many Joe Ross's or Andrew Hoffman struggling, or you know, currently, Actually Drey Jamison, you know, isn't exactly pitching great. You know, these guys that come up, like your depth pitchers, your depth for leavers. You can't just keep saying, well, if you eliminate these guys, then your team er isn't that bullpen era isn't that bad? I mean, you know, it's starting to like stack up where you're really seeing the next line of defense on the bullpen doesn't look very good right now and makes me a little bit nervous because the bullpen has been so good and such an important piece of keeping this team together. But like I said, you got seven guys on pace for sixty games and sixty innings, and something's going to give somewhere.
Speaker 1: I think that's part of why Mike Hasen is talking about adding to the bullpen at the trade deadline, when on paper it's like, well, hey, this bullpen's pretty good. But yeah, I think that's a great point that one of these guys is probably going to go down and the dbacs will need reinforcements at some point, and or one of those guys in triple A to step up and be a little bit more of a force. I'm not sure. I Juan Burgos is going to be the guy. Frankly, it feels like this was sort of outam necessity. With Dre Jamison pitching a couple of innings yesterday, the Dbacs just wanted to give themselves a little more length, especially with the rain possibilities in a game like this. But we'll see. Maybe Pwan Bergos gets an opportunity and can show what he's doing a little bit, or show what he's capable of. Our pal Aaron Hughes in the chat said, Hey, guys, hope you are well. Just wanted to note that Max Kepler is the diamondbacks second ever German born player after Edwin Jackson, and the first born there since the Berlin Wall fell. It's a fun fact from our good friend Aaron Hughes, and also a good segue jack into the Max Kepler conversation. We've been talking about him for a while. He's been down with the Diamondbacks minor league affiliates for a few weeks at this point, and today was the day where he was first eligible to come off the restricted list. The Diamondbacks activate him. He is now on the big league roster. In terms of expectations for Kepler, Jack, What do you kind of have in your head as we await his first game as a member of the Diamondbacks.
Speaker 2: I think he was rushed. I think from the time that they got him into the organization. I don't think he's got enough plate appearances. He had twenty four played appearances in Reno at Triple A. He played two games in Hillsboro, maybe a game in the Complex League before that. Total, I don't think he had forty more than forty played appearances. I would have liked to see him get another handful of games and get his timing down. So I expect him to struggle. I just do. And that's not even an evaluation of Max Kepler himself. It's just an evaluation of everybody else in the league. All these pitchers have been pitching for three months now, right, they're all, you know, the ones that aren't hurt. They're all halfway through their season and all dialed in and dialed up, and they know their game plans and they've got their stuff dialed in. And here comes a guy with you know, hardly any plate appearances into minor leagues this year and it's like he had, you know, half a spring training and now he's supposed to jump right in and have his timing down. I hope he does, you know, so that none of that is an evaluation of Max Kepler himself. Look, we can all look at the career numbers. We see what kind of hitter he's been in his career. He's got pop, he's left handed. They're hoping that he gets you know, a little lightning in a bottle against right hand to pitching projections don't love him because he's, you know, in his thirties now, and he's coming off a down season last year. So we'll see what they get. But even if he's in a good space, I just hope that they didn't rush him like they've been rushing Lords Gurry Errol off the injured list twice or Peven Smith off the injured list. You know. I mean the only guy that actually came off the injured list and swung the bat pretty well right out of the gate was Jordan Lawler. You know. None of the other short stint hitters have come back and done well. So I don't know. I mean, we'll see how it goes. But I don't understand why they feel so pressure too that they can't get the guy another five games. I don't get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I hear you. Kepler played ten games with Diamondbacks minor league teams. Only six of those games came in Triple A. He went six for twenty one in Triple A, had a three seventy five on base percentage, but just a three thirty three slugging percentage, so just one double out of those six hits. The other five hits were all singles there for Kepler. Kepler did not have great numbers last year with the Philadelphia Phillies. He slashed two sixteen three hundred three ninety one. His expected stats were notably better than that. His expected batting average was in the two forties, his expected slug was in the four to forty range. So you know, I think you can certainly understand why the Diamondbacks made this move. At the same time, I think it's clear that they're just trying to find any left handed hitter with a pulse who could possibly be an upgrade over what they have in house right now. And you know, maybe that's why they're pushing Kepler to be back the first day that he's eligible. It's not like peven Smith is setting up particularly high bar right now, or you know whoever other outfielder would be starting if Kepler wasn't against right handed pitching. So it's hard for me to blame the Diamondbacks Jack, I mean, the d Backs option Tim Tawa in order to make this move right, a player who was not even playing for them. It's hard for me to believe that Max Kepler, even as he works to get his timing back, can't be an upgrade over some of those other guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, look, I'm not fault them for signing Max Kepler or giving him a shot. A lot of people are like, well, why did they sign him if he can't play in the postseason, But you know they need some bridge at bats. Here. While you were talking there, I just decided to go look up Manuel Pinia because I'm thinking, like, okay, you know, if he plays for six weeks in Triple A and he mashes, you know, maybe then they feel like, okay, well, let's bring up Manny Penia in August and September just for a quick notation. Here many Penia, he of the twenty six home run outburst in Double A. And why am I talking about him? Because he's a left handed slugger right, twenty six homers in Double A so far in thirty two played appearances seven games. He's yet to homer in Triple A, but he is hitting two seventy six with a three p forty four on base percentage, which isn't bad, but because there's no pop at all there, he's got a sixty two wrs plus small sample size thirty two plate appearances. My point is monitor Manualpinia, right, because they're not going to call him up now, but they're certainly hoping, like, hey, if this guy, you know, can carry over into Triple A and show that he's ready, maybe in you know, mid August or something like that. If Kepler isn't giving them what they need, or even if he's kind of doing okay, but they need to get somebody up there that they could use in the postseason. Maybe Manuel Pina could be a left handed bat down the road asking a lot to get a kid from Double A to Triple A to the majors and help you in the postseason. But this is where they're at with left handed batting depth. As you were just talking.
Speaker 1: About, well, just's just men mentioned his name in the chat. A big name in Diamondbacks talk in the last twenty four hours, of course, is Paul Goldschmith. Derek Hall, Diamondbacks president and CEO, spoke about the conversations that the d Backs had or did not have with Paul Goldschmidt over the offseason. So we'll get into that right after this break here on Snake's territory.
Speaker 3: When my puppy Bella has something wrong, I'm not going to go around googling what to do. Yeah, Kratz, let's have a better plan. Today's episode is sponsored by the ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Program. It offers customizable accident and illness plans that can fit your budget, your lifestyle, and even your pets particular quirks. Because, let's be honest, VET bills can add up fast. ASPCA Pet Health Insurance has been around for almost thirty years and has covered over one million pets. And when it's time to submit a claim, it's easy. Just use their app and receive reimbursement for eligible VET bills directly into your bank account, so you can get back to focusing on what really matters your pet. To explore coverage, visit ASPCA Pet Insurance dot com. Slash foul that's ASPCA Pet Insurance dot Com slash foul. Again, that's ASPCA Pet Insurance dot Com slash foul. This is a paid advertisement. Insurance is underwritten by either Independent American Insurance Company or United States Fire Insurance Company and produced by PTZ Insurance Agency Limited. The ASPCA is not an insurance and is not engaged in the business of insurance.
Speaker 1: Before we get into our Paul Goldschmidt chatter, I do want to put a bow on conversation we just had and say that Ryan Nelson was also part of the d Backs roster moves. They transferred him to the sixty day IL move that we kind of expected. We figured the Dbacks would do that in order to open up a forty band roster spot Jack. That means that Ryan Nelson is first eligible to come off the IL on August fifteenth. Does not exactly inspire optimism, but also we didn't expect Ryan Nelson back before then anyway.
Speaker 2: Correct. Well, I mean when I spoke to Tory about it and I did the math, and he kind of giggled and said, yeah, well, that's like my manager math in a self effacing manner. He wasn't being sarcastic, you know, I asked him, however, many weeks down, then you have to add the same amount of weeks up to get back stretched out. However many weeks he's non throwing, then that's how many weeks he's going to have to be down, or that's how many weeks I'm sorry, that's going to take for him to get ramped back up. So if you're down for four weeks without throwing, then you're going to need four weeks to get stretched out. You're out for eight weeks. And he said originally, well, four to six weeks for Ryan, and then he said he's going to get the MRI in six weeks. That was from the date that we talked to him, June nineteenth, so that's why I asked her. I said, well, six weeks, so that means six weeks to get he can't throw before the MRI, then that's twelve weeks. That brings you into mid September rights and he's like, yeah, that's the math that I'm doing. So basically Ryan has always been September if at all. But for many people seeing him transferred to the sixty was kind of like a bracing shock. Had they not seen our show or rhetor art unfortunately. But the you know, bottom line here is is this is expected. This is the normal timeline that they were talking about because of the nature of the injuries that he has. So you know, if we see Ryan Nelson again in September, it's even then. It's just like the Corbyn Burns situation, would be very tough to get him ramped up. You're only going to have so many roster spots. You know, we'll see who makes it back and who doesn't, what kind of shaped are in and how stretched out they can get, and how many pitches they can throw, and if they were in a position to be in the postseason, are they in a rotation or are they in the bullpen. Don't even think about it right now, guys, it's don't even worry about it till September. We'll figure it out then.
Speaker 1: On Max Kepler, we should probably dive just a little bit further into his situation. The reason that he was first eligible to be reinstated today is because he was serving an eighty game suspension for testing positive for a performance in drug that happened I believe at the beginning of the year after his stint with the Phillies last season, and Kepler has really never spoken publicly about that until today in Saint Louis. And this is a quote from our good friend Nick Pocoro's story over at the Arizona Republic. This is Kepler speaking on this situation. He said, the answer I have is really the answer that every player gives you at this point in time. I do not know how it got into my system. I am responsible for the fact that it is in my system or in the yurine test that the Drug Committee found, but I do not know how it got into my system. I'm not the type of player who would be cheating or having the necessary need to take a supplement to get through my career, especially not in my free agent Going into a free agent year, that's a little risky. I'm lucky that I'm back in this position now, but yeah, that's my stance. So I guess this is sort of the response that we're just accustomed to getting on these situations. So do with that what you will. When it comes to Max Kepler.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hey, I just want to add an extra plug for Nick here if that's okay. You know, he's a really excellent excellent journalist, and he's able to dig deeper than any of us. And you know, he's been doing this longer than any of us except maybe Steve Gilbert when it comes to the Arizona market. So you know, we're quite liberal in quoting him, and that's simply because he's the best. So, you know, hats off to Nick Pricorol. I look up to him and really admire his work, and you know, so I appreciate being able to share his work on our show. So you know, don't forget Nick pricorl Arizona Republic.
Speaker 1: Definitely worth worth the price of a subscription alone. Nick does really really great work covering the Diamondbacks were there. But yeah, Max Kepler officially part of the major league roster. We'll see if he's able to contribute. The Diamondbacks very much could use some pop from the left handed side. Circling back to the topic guy he alluded to earlier, Paul Goldschmidt is not a member of the Arizona Diamondbacks. He of course, is a member of the New York Yankees. He is not making a whole lot of money with the New York Yankees. That is a one year four million dollar deal that he signed with New York. But goodness, gracious, Jackie has been worth that and then some. He's hitting two ninety seven with a nine to twenty three ops. And of course there were some rumblings over the offseason about the Diamondbacks getting involved with his market, maybe as an option for them at first base. And then, somewhat surprisingly, Derek Hall spoke on the radio in the last twenty four hours and said the Dbacks never even had discussions with Paul Goldschmith. He said that they decided to sign Carlos Santana relatively early on, which was a little surprising to me that that move was made official on February tenth, but he said that the Diamondbacks never actually got to the point of having serious discussions with Paul Goldschmidt.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, the other point was that they they felt like it was going to cost more than they were going to be able to spend because they wanted to put the money into the pitching. I mean, that's the key point. You know, I know for a fact that you know, ownership was very keen on bringing back both Zach and Merrill. They wanted the pitching, and they were willing to spend for that, So you know, that being said, that's where they decided to allocate their resources. I think that bringing back Zach late was really quite the extra spend on the part of Ken Kendrick. I mean pretty much Mike Casen was tapped out for the most part, with maybe a little bit left to spend, and then you know, Kendrick wanted Gallon back, so boom, here we go, and that's where we ended up. Look, I'm going to spill here a little bit, guys, my understanding what I was told was back in twenty eighteen, you know, during the twenty eighteen offseason or just before the start of the twenty eighteen season, Paul's Goldschmid's representation, you know, put forth their thought process about what an extension might look like. And it was a multi year, nine figure deal that began with the two that they were looking for. So they were looking for an excess of two hundred million dollars at that point in time. And what I was told was the Diamondbacks never countered because they just felt that they were so far off from where they started off, so they never even countered that. I don't know what those numbers might have looked like, or what where the Diamondbacks might have been as far as what kind of counter they were willing to give, But I think they just felt like they were probably, you know, one hundred million dollars off between what Goldie's representation was talking about and where their comfort zone was. Subsequently, after, by the time he was traded during the twenty eighteen offseason, so seven months later, the market kind of softened early in the early and during the twenty eighteen off season. Seventeen eighteen offseason, the market was a little hotter and things kind of cooled down for the first base market, and Goldie ended up accepting a five year, one hundred and thirty million dollar extension with the Cardinals that kicked in the following twenty twenty. Because he twenty nineteen, he was still on the last year of his extension with the Diamondbacks that paid him fourteen million. So a lot of people felt like at the time, well, Diamondbacks, why didn't they just sign up for five one thirty, But I don't think that Goldschmith's camp would have accepted five one thirty at the beginning of twenty eighteen. By the time eighteen got finished up. I think reality had set in. He'd been traded. He's in his thirties, Okay, let's go, let's do this, And I think he was happy with the city he was at. So that that's my understanding of the way that all went down. You know, as far as this latest episode, the only twist for me is at one point Gambo had tweeted out that they're interested in Paul Goldschmidt. However, you know they're obviously Derek said that they never talked to them, they never really made an offer. So the understanding there really is okay if you. Paul Sherman reported that gold Schmid took less money to stay with the Yankees, and the team that emerged as a team that was willing to pay more than what the Yankees paid was the San Diego Padres, and he actually took left. Well, I think the part of the story about goldschmanth being willing to take less money if he's going to have to be in a part time role to be with the Yankees makes a lot of sense, and I'm ninety nine percent sure that was true as well.
Speaker 1: The other part of this, this storyline for the Diamondbacks was are they willing to have Paul Goldschmid as their everyday first basement, which is what he seemed to want as opposed to just having him as a platoon option. And what's weird is as great of a season as Paul Goldschmid has had with the New York Yankees, he has not been good against right handed pitching. He has a six sixty five OPS against right handed pitching in twenty twenty six this season that has been unbelievable. He has a six to sixty five OPS against righty's. He just also happens to have a one point three zero four a thirteen oh four OPS against lefties. He's batting over four hundred against lefties in twenty twenty six, and so so it's made his overall numbers look totally awesome because he's just he's been the best hitter in baseball against left handed pitching. So, on one hand, I guess you could say, well, the d Backs are right Paul Goldsmith isn't isn't all that great against right handed pitching anymore. Most pitchers are right eyes. But maybe they underestimated just how unbelievable he could be against lefties, so unfortunate situation there. The Diamondbacks, of course, decided to give Carlos Santana half as much money one year, two million dollars for Carlos Santana, And as of about forty eight hours ago, Santana is no longer a member of the Diamondbacks. They have his rehab, his allotted rehab time down in the miners ran out. You can only have a guy rehab for twenty days, and the Diamondbacks presumably just decided like, hey, this guy just doesn't have anything left in the tank, and so they designated him for assignment and released him. And I mean, two million dollars is two million dollars. There's there's no such thing as a bad one year contract. I guess those you know that thinking still applies in a sense. But man, I mean, Carlos Santana got two hits and the Diamondbags paid him two million dollars to do so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, look, listeners of this show will know that I was never very enthusiastic about that signing to say the least. You know, I just I had a hard enough time dealing with the Nolan trade quite frankly, you know, and so whenever we talked about and we got around to Santana, I you know, just was never into it. I mean I never thought that that was going to be anything that would work out for them. He was too old and too many couple of really down seasons, you know, and you're bringing in a forty year old guy and saying, yeah, well, he's got a great glove. I mean, like, even that wasn't very good. So you know, that wasn't very good foresight on the part of the team. You know, there were other options, as I've mentioned over and over. I don't mean to keep touting my horn, but you know I identified, you know, a left handed slugger as the true need for this lineup in the off season and got blown off. I mean I spoke to the GM about it and he's like, yeah, I don't necessarily see it that way. And he wasn't all too you know. I mean, he just didn't think I had any idea what I was talking about. But here we are. You know, he ranks last in first base and last in d H patting, and his left handed hitters that have stepped into those roles have been abysmal. And you know that downside bottom folding out possibility was always there. You know. Obviously, you project Peven Smith to be better than he was. Adrian del Castillo did not project to be that much better than he's been. You know, even prior to this year, his expected stats were not very good. Peven should be closer to a league average hitter, which he's been far far from, but he should be, so we'll see. Maybe he comes around, maybe he doesn't.
Speaker 1: Peven's just the interesting case where his career numbers are basically league average, his projections are league average, and yet he's not exactly been the model of a consistent sort of league average hitter. It feels like he's either hitting the cover off the ball consistently, like he did for a couple of months at the end of twenty four and the start of twenty five, or he just is not a productive big league hitter at all, which is what we've seen for the past year at this point when he's actually been healthy. So certainly the Diamondbacks did not make the right choice when it came to their first base situation. I think it is very easy to say that at this point. Props to Paul Goldschmidt for turning back the clock and having as great of a season as he has at age thirty eight. We wish him the best with the New York Yankees, even though people around here certainly wish he was still a member or had returned to be a member of the Arizona Diamondbacks. We have one more ad break to hit here on Snake's Territory. Don't go anywhere. On the other side, we're going to talk a little bit about the All Star voting situation not end so well for the Diamondbacks. We'll also talk about some of the key season matchups. The head to head records between the Diamondbacks and some of their wild card opponents, a really important thing to keep.
Speaker 2: An eye on.
Speaker 1: So don't go anywhere. We'll be back right after this here on Snakes Territory.
Speaker 4: This episode is brought to you by fan Duel Baseball Fans, the MLB season is in full swing and fan Duel is giving you a chance to call your shot with daily dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance extra winnings It's just another reason why FanDuel is the home of home runs.
Speaker 1: So are you.
Speaker 4: Ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com slash Podcast. To opt in for daily dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer, playball and swing for the fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball. No purchase necessary, opt in required. Bonus issued as non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem call or text one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 1: We are back here on Snake's territory. If you have done already, we would really appreciate it if you would drop a like on this video really helps us out. Subscribe to our channel while you're at it as well. Hit the bell icon from notifications so that you never miss an episode of the show, and shout out to all of you who are here hanging out with us live. After a day where there was no Diamondbacks baseball. As sad as that is, we want to dive in real quick to the head to head matchups between the Diamondbacks and some of their wild card opponents, Jack, I know this is something that you've been keeping an eye on. We could show the numbers here on the screen. D Backs are two and one this year against the Reds, two and one against the Phillies, two and one against the Cardinals. I guess you can call this a series win given the way it ended. The d Backs have split their two games with the Padres, and then they lost two of three to the Pirates. They lost two of three to the Nationals, and then they got swept by both the Cubs and the Marlins. So overall, Jack, not a great picture when it comes to these head to head matchups.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, as we have learned painfully in the past. You know, these head to head matchups well one time successfully, one time not so successfully. These head to head matchups really mean something. I mean, they're gonna have to, you know, clear out beat the Cubs and the Marlins for sure, almost unless you turn around and sweep them. And you know with the Nationals, uh and the Pirates, you're gonna have to win those series on the road to be able to tie them. You've got eleven left against the Padres seven on the road because the Debacs got ripped off with two games of Mexico City as quote unquote home games, you know, and then they got to hold their advantage against Red's Phillies and Cardinals. I mean, you know, you really need to win these series against these these other opponents. I mean, you need to win them all. Every game is important, but these are really going to come into play for those that aren't. Don't know. If you end up tied for the season series and you're tied for the regular season for somebody in a wild card spot, the next tiebreaker is your divisional record. And the Dbacks are in pretty good shape there because of their dominance over their Rocketies in Giants so far they split with the Padres. But of course, you know they need to do better against the Dodgers going forward, you know, to not undo all the good work that they've done against the weak sisters in the NL West.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not great. It feels like we kind of play this game every year where these tie breakers seem fairly likely to matter, and yet the Diamondbacks it feels like they always lose the tie breakers that are the ones that actually matter. We certainly saw this in twenty twenty four the way that that season ended. They win eighty nine games, but they don't make the playoffs because of tie breakers. So it's still still fairly early. But the Dbacks have not gotten off to a good start in this regard. Speaking of not getting off to a good start, Jack, the All Star voting process did not go particular Billy well for the Diamondbacks. At least Phase one did not. And I guess there there is no Phase two for them because the Dbacks did not have any of their players advance into Phase two. Corbyn Carrol finished twelfth among NL outfielders in the voting. It was just the top six that moved on to Phase two, and fans will decide the three starting outfielders out of that group. We're kind of used to seeing this, Jack, it is a bummer, but this year with Corbyn finishing twelfth, I mean, Justin Crawford of the Phillies finished eleventh. He has a six thirty two OPS entering today, So it's a bummer to see Corbyn not get the respect that he deserves.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just a stupid system. You know, the system doesn't work I.
Speaker 1: Mean it's stupid. Yet Alejandro Kirk was one of the finalists after playing thirteen games this season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know, look the fan vote. I guess, on one hand it's stupid. On the other hand, it's not. I guess the fans that are more engaged with their team and supporting their team, then they get the right to have a bigger voice and who gets to play in the All Star Game. I guess that's the way they want it. I think it does a disservice from the game. I think you should have the best players in the game. I have a lot of thoughts about the All Star Game. I'm going to just throw this one out there. I think I might have mentioned it on the show before. I think that they should have the All Star voting take place after the Super Bowl and up until about the middle of spring training, and then play the All Star Game just before the season starts. Yeah. And there's a few reasons for this. Number One, I think you get a more complete view of players and who they should be voting for. I saw online today, you know, and very respected journalists say it should be by the stats. You know who's performing the best, But like what stats April stats May stats. You know, if you're talking about one third of the season, that seems a little short sighted. But then if you go by last year's numbers and this year's numbers together, I mean, you know, now you're pulling in last year and it's not this year's all start team. Why not base it off the full last calendar year. Put the best players in the game. And oh, by the way, you'll have a lot easier time. You do it, like a week before the seed regular season starts, or six games six days before the regular season starts, you'll be able to It's kind of a way to welcome the fans back to baseball. Here's a big splash, and you won't have the problem of this picture can't pitch and that picture can't pitch. It's easy to line a guy up for one inning in spring training, right, and if you do it five or six days before the regular season starts, then you're able to get them. You know, the guy can throw his one inning in the in the All Star Game and then go down to the bullpen and you know, get his up downs and go get some pitches in there, and he can still make his first regular season start. So I think, you know, and most of the guys are all still healthy at that point in time, and so you'll get to see all the best pitchers and all the best players, and you won't have the you know, top players begging out because they got a slightly sore foot or handy because they're beat up for half a season. Most of the guys are coming out as from training healthy, So I think you get the full complement of players and rosters, and you get a better fan voting experience as well, and more informed fan voting experience that way.
Speaker 1: Anyway, rant Over, I like it. I've talked about that exact approach with people in the past, and it definitely makes a lot of sense. Maybe a little odd to have the All Star Game more so reflect the season prior than the current season. Like a guy could play in the All Star Game, you know, in spring training or right after spring training, and then have a terrible season and it would just be like, what is guy played in the All Star Game and then you know, at a six hundred ops or something. But I mean, I think that's totally fine. I think you'd rather you'd rather have a full season of stats than you know, look at half a season of stats as we do right now. One thing that maybe they could tweak just to avoid the Alejandro Kirk issue is require like a baseline number of games or played appearances or innings pitched or something in order for a player to be eligible. It feels like guys who just don't play, or who don't play enough games, like a significant number of games, just get way too many votes. So maybe that's something they could look at doing. But anyway, Corbyn Carroll is not a finalist, could tell Marte is not a finalist as well. The two second base finalists were Ozzy Albi's and Bryson Stott, who has not had a good season for the Phillies. And Ozzy Albi's ranks like sixth among n L second basement and basically every category. So I don't think there's a strong case for Katel Marte as one of those finalists, but there's certainly not as strong case for Ozzy Alvis or Bryson Stott either. So you hope that at least one of the two finalists is like a good candidate, but at second base it is it is neither of those two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, look, we're just going to have to accept the fact that you know, either the league of the players. You know, Corbyn Carroll is going in the All Star Game, there's no question about that. He's just not going to start, yeah, you know. And then the question is, as well, the Dbacks have a second player. So I really think that, you know, beyond Corbyn Carroll, the real discussion should be who should everyone be advocating for it to be an All Star on you know, this year and kind of lobby to get that player selected by either the players or by the league. Yeah, you know, And and that could be our discussion. I mean, I we've kind of talked about it. I mean, right now, you have to think e Rod right with the season that he's had so far, I mean, if he has starts, you know, forget the Fip Pip Schmidt. You know, guy's got a two three one or two two five whatever it is. You know. So he's been the workhoorse, the stud of the of the rotation, has been the most consistent guy. You know. So I don't see a problem with that. I think that it would be great for him. Just we know that the National League is very deep. I posted something the other day which is, uh, I take the ra A nine runs against per nine innings and the FIP base war and I averaged those two together and so it's kind of like actual run prevention against dominance and peripherals, and then you motion them together and it always seems to pass a smell test when you use that. And then you start tiering guys, and you know, e Rod was certainly in the top ten. I think he came in like sixth in the National League in that doing it that way, either sixth or eight. So he's like kind of right on the cusp because you know, they can bring like six starters and then they can bring like you know, eight or ten relievers or whatever. Make sure they got enough pitchers on the roster so that you don't have a disaster. You know, whether or not even got in the game, who knows, But I mean, I just think that Erod at this point in time, if you want to go by half season performance, I think he deserves a spot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think Irod has a has a compelling case. Maybe maybe Nolan Arnado still has a shot, not so much because Arnatto's numbers are great, but because the third base class is just not particularly strong in the National League. This year. Max Munci is definitely going to start. He has in eight seventy three ops this season. But Alec Boehm is the other finalist, which is also absurd. He has not had a good season at all. He does not deserve to be an All Star in general. And you look at the ops rankings behind Max Muncy, I mean it's Nick Gonzalez at seven to nineteen with the Pittsburgh Pirates, Matt Chapman of the Giants at seven fourteen, Kyle Carros of the Rockies at seven to ten, and then Nolan Arnado is right there at seven hundred. So if Arnado rattles off a couple of good weeks, you know, leading up to the All Star Game, I think it's possible that he could have the second best OPS among an l third baseman. Maybe there's a world that he could still make the team. So we'll see what happens with regard to the All Star voting situation. Unfortunate the Corvin Carol won't start, but as you said, he is a slam dunk to at least make the team at the very least. Thank you to all of you for being with us on this EPP episode For hanging out with us for one of our longer shows. We hope we've given you something to do on a bizarre night where Diamondbacks Baseball has not happened. As always, it really helps us out if you would drop alike on this video, subscribe to our channel on YouTube as I mentioned earlier, and if you're joining us on Apple Podcasts or Spotify wherever you get your podcasts, it really helps us out if you would leave us a five star review as well. You can find us on Twitter. I am at Jesse N. Friedman. Jack is at sho Wizard fifty nine, and our show is at Snake's Territory. You can find Jack's written work over at Arizona Diamondbacks on SI Jack. Any final thoughts here as we say goodbye.
Speaker 2: Yeah for Gray Mantle four and anyone else who joined us late. Sorry that we didn't get to answer some of your questions here. Actually, I think we address most of that in the beginning of the show, so you know, pop up to the top of the show and check it out. Also, guys, when you look along that little line there that says light and Share, there's a little three dot button there. Pop open that button and do a little discovery as to what you might find in there as well.
Speaker 1: We do appreciate all of you who have given super chats and so forth in recent days. Really really helps us out. Supporting the show that way. Thank you again to all of you for being here with us. We will be back with another episode tomorrow night. We'll be live after the Diamondbacks Raise game, and we look forward to seeing you then. So thank you again for being here, and we'll be back with another edition of Snake's Territory tomorrow night