Speaker 1: All right, guys injuries for practice today. Jake Moody right ankle, won't practice, Juwan jennings Hip won't practice, Givens Growing won't practice, kittle foot won't practice, Odomnee won't practice, Debo wristslash illness won't practice. Trent Williams getting a ved day, Chris Connley ankle limited, Nick Bosa elbow limited, Jordan Mason shoulder limited.
Speaker 2: God was Deebo Samuel in fact?
Speaker 3: Pneumonia? Pneumonia? And what is his prognosis?
Speaker 4: Um? Pneumonia?
Speaker 5: He's out of the hospital, who got in here yesterday, doing better than you'd expect of that stuff.
Speaker 4: And let's see how he goes throughout the week.
Speaker 3: He's still got a chance to play on something. Yes, when I watched the film, there were some miscommunications between it looked like Brock and Pale and Brock and I you, but it seems like Can't. City's defense sped him up quite quite a bit, and he had some things open underneath, and he got aggressive down the field. What did you see when you watched the film of Brock and how would you evaluate them?
Speaker 5: I think I've already said that I don't remember any of the miscommunications that you mentioned. There was a couple of shots that you had, just like you do through every game.
Speaker 4: We didn't hit any of them.
Speaker 6: Though.
Speaker 2: You've had a number of rookies that have already played kind of prominent roles and maybe more coming here with some of the injuries and stuff. What is your sense of just kind of the confidence level of that group as a whole, and maybe the way they push each other to kind of produce.
Speaker 5: I really liked our rookie class. They've been strong since the beginning, the way they came to OTAs. I was really impressed with them through a training camp.
Speaker 4: I am now you know.
Speaker 5: It was none of them really, you know, with the thought of drafting and didn't have starting roles, but we were excited how they practice and everything they knew. They we'd give them, they'd give us some depth and Nolson are again some opportunities because of injury, and I'm glad we have a good group there. I think they'll be ready for the challenge and they seem like a tight group.
Speaker 2: When those other guys see a guy like Prudy who does step into the role pretty quickly, And did you give the sense that those guys are like, hey, this is there is opportunity out here for me, even on a team that has a roster.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I do, I mean I think.
Speaker 5: I mean with Poony, you know, I don't think he thought it the first week or so, or at least OTAs And then you have two guys go down on the first four days of practice and it happens fast. So that's a perfect example for everybody. You try to tell stories like that all the time to these guys. Don't ever think it's a red shirt year. There there's no such thing in this league. And it's not just rookies. It's the same for practice squad guys. Your only is usually it's one injury away, but sometimes it's two. But it's it's a matter of time. Some guys can get lucky and people stay healthy the whole time and.
Speaker 4: They can really develop the right way. But usually in this league you rarely get that.
Speaker 7: How much room do you feel like there is to improve on? Maybe sitting protections against.
Speaker 4: The blood on what?
Speaker 5: I don't know what you mean by setting protections against the blitz one play.
Speaker 4: In particular, where there were two unblocked. Oh yeah, when people blitz more than you have got to throw.
Speaker 7: Hot I mean in finding hot answers. Do you feel like rocket the offense has done well?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're usually pretty good versus the blitz. Sometimes they get you, they bring to to the back, and sometimes your quarterback doesn't see it and catches you off and that's where you're hoping for.
Speaker 4: You know, you don't have a sack fumble.
Speaker 5: Usually there's a whole right there and you get to it. And but I think we've been pretty good versus that usually. We had a chance for a huge one last week that was kind of what we wanted and we were just about three yards off on the throw and the catch by Ba probably would have been a house call if we got it. I know we've talked about special teams like every week for the last six or seven weeks.
Speaker 4: So what have you guys?
Speaker 2: I guess going into this week focused on improving and it's it doesn't seem like there's one culvert each week. It just it's something.
Speaker 4: Different each time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's just continuing to work with all these guys. You know, we've had to move a lot of guys around from our our starting gunners at the beginning of the year and now starting on defense. You know, we've had to change our pp or wings, you know, I think our right guard, I think we've changed.
Speaker 4: About four times. So there's a bunch of movement on those guys. So you just keep developing them.
Speaker 5: You keep working with the individual drills and do all stuff full speed, especially tackling and things like that. But I mean we're emphasizing everything and trying to get our group better.
Speaker 2: We've seen from the Cowboys on film they're coming off a pretty big loss.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're coming off a big loss, you know, right after their bye week, and they're in a situation similar to ours. I mean they want to win and need to win as bad as us, So I see it a very similar situation.
Speaker 2: Well, how has the mood been in the locker room and meetings?
Speaker 5: It?
Speaker 3: People pretty much flashed Sunday.
Speaker 4: Ah, yeah, I felt good today.
Speaker 5: I mean Monday is always a rough day, but we spend a long time on Monday, and when we do that from early in the morning till really right when I'm done with you guys after that press conference is the first time we move on. And then we see the players today. So they do their own thing on Tuesdays, and they came in today and we've had good meetings. We've just had a good walkthrough and guys are ready for the week.
Speaker 2: Malc missed up.
Speaker 5: I let the team in tackles, except for that one time where he kind of went head to headway with Patrick Mahomes, and he dealt with that in a kind of comical way on social media. What have you seen from him in his attitude throughout his working Oh, he's been awesome. I thought he played really really good game. I thought he had one of the better games on our team. I thought he had some really good hits. He got an unfortunate position on the goal line, but that's what I like about him. He's not gonna sit there and take a creative angle, even if he's not in a position to have his legs under him. He's gonna just throw his body out there and do whatever he can. And unfortunately, you got to deal with social media these days, but I haven't had to deal with it, so I don't know how bad it is for him. But I thought he had one of his better games.
Speaker 3: I said afterwards that hey, I'm ready to go again, But it could have been adrenaline talk. And after he played way more than he thought he have you talked to him what his pounce back then like after playing as much as.
Speaker 5: He did well, I mean, he was healthy going into the week, so you know, he's just getting him back in the stuff. And I mean the more he plays, the better he's gonna get. So he got that you could see throughout the week in practice, and then it's only going to help him going forward, getting more reps in the game than anticipated with the guys going down, So I expect him to get more comfortable each week on the hits.
Speaker 8: That Malex delivering.
Speaker 6: Can you hear a difference on the sideline?
Speaker 3: They look vicious from up top?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you can hear it, you can see it. I mean, he's one of those guys that we called a sprint tackle. He doesn't really you know, you have a long stride to eat up the grass and a short stride to kind of hit guys, and he's just long stride. He kind of goes right through him and there's one speed and uh, that's the best way to tackle guys as long as.
Speaker 4: You don't miss when you guys get off to a slower stut.
Speaker 6: Like how much do you rely on like the leadership and the captains to kind of keep the calm or keep you guys point in the right direction.
Speaker 4: I mean, we got great captains, We've got a great team.
Speaker 5: I mean there's not you know, we've been in the situation before where not everything's going perfect and you're a little backs against the wall. But our group, our culture, it's never really been an issue. I've never had to make a big deal about stuff, And anytime that there is, I'll call guys and address it. But our team's got to We know each other pretty well. I think they know me pretty well. And we got a group that a bunch of good people that don't blame each other and know what you got to do after stuff like this, there's only one thing.
Speaker 4: You can sit and.
Speaker 5: Talk and evaluate all this stuff, or you can get to work and find a way to be better the next week.
Speaker 2: All right out.
Speaker 5: Special teams to rank their first overall in the league.
Speaker 6: I know numbers don't always.
Speaker 7: Tell the whole story.
Speaker 8: What's what's your take on the.
Speaker 5: State of special teams right now? It's similar to what everyone's been saying. Similar to the numbers, we've been struggling with it. We gotta especially in the punt return and uh are sorry inst the punt and the kickoff. You know, guys have gotten two bigger returns on us. I know we gave us some blocks early in the year, which, uh, you got to get that corrected with certain techniques and everything. But we got to get a lot better at it. I mean, it's pretty obvious to everybody. It's obvious to us. It's been that way for a few weeks. And I can't give you guys one narrative on it, cause there's not one narrative. It's about working with everyone, holding people accountable, and coach them up the best we can to get them better.
Speaker 2: His numbers are down this year compared to last year. Is that just a function of the injuries around him?
Speaker 4: Or are the things he needs to improve on.
Speaker 5: I think last year is one of the best years statistically ever, Like when you look at just efficiency of a whole offense, So I think it's hard to do that every year. I think when you're missing then FLMVP, that doesn't help you know, missing some receivers doesn't help them. But I think Brocks having a hell of a year statistically all so.
Speaker 3: You guys are struggling to run it in the low red zone. Is it more on the backs. Do you think more on the line. What is the film showing there?
Speaker 5: It's everybody takes eleven guys to run the ball and coaches work on that too, so it's all of us. You know, it gets harder as you get down there when you don't run it in on first and second down. It puts a lot more pressure on the pass game. When you do better in the past game, you get better run looks. So it's all tied together.
Speaker 3: The practice window for Christians.
Speaker 8: So is their timetable here kind of over the bye week to reevaluate that.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, it's not this week, so hopefully'll be next week.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 8: With Ricky, he seems to be kind of a unique skill set guy. Do you put in stuff specifically for him or is he just or as part of your offense?
Speaker 2: Do you just kind of plug him in the spots?
Speaker 5: I mean, I think he's wired to run every route as a receiver, you know, like most of I mean, I think Devo is the one is more unique just in terms of using them as a running back and things like that. But Ricky is a plug and play with all routes. It's not like he has a small route tree and only can do certain things so he can run the whole tree three spots.
Speaker 4: I mean he hasn't practiced a lot.
Speaker 5: I mean he knows how to do it on paper and stuff, but just like everyone, you need a lot more reps to be able to do all three spots. But he did a good job of justin in the game. He went in the game only playing one spot, and a couple of injuries happened, just like always, so you got to be prepared for next man up. And uh, he didn't have any bus at the new position. So that's what you always do. I mean, you only get five up on game day, sometimes four. H We try to get six if we can roster wise, if we got some injuries.
Speaker 4: But I mean that's that's how white outs are.
Speaker 5: You got specific spots for guys, but someone goes down and you gotta roll every one to the other spots.
Speaker 6: Question, on return, you are eight guys on that side of the field, guy, that was that? Was that overloading or is that how it's.
Speaker 8: Supposed to be.
Speaker 5: No, it's because that's where their offensive guys were and that's where their return was. They were going that way and so there was nothing there. So he just went on his own other way. And when he goes on his own other way, and the whole offense and defense of special teams is on the left, we get ever two on block guys on the right turn it back in, and they both slipped, so they weren't able to do that.
Speaker 3: Any indication whether Kittle's foot spring could be something that.
Speaker 4: Could keep them out, I hope not. They can't go to day. Thank you all right, Thanks guys,