Speaker 1: It is time for us to give our Mets prospect rankings. After the trade deadline, we got a bunch of new names in and we got to rank them. It's been a while. We haven't talked about this farm system really since the MLB Draft. Almost none of the draft guys coming to my top ten, but we do have a bunch of new guys from the trades cracking at least inside my top ten I'm assuming inside of yours, James. Before we get going into it, makes sure you guys are subscribed to Met stuff over here on YouTube and if you're listening to us Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google, Drop a Parting, Drops Review, Download, Subscribe. Shout out to all our members who got access to this one early according early on a Friday. You basically are gonna have almost like a full twenty four hours of this before anybody else, So make sure you joined that membership if you can. I'm excited about this. I mean, the Mets prospects are weird. I think, to say the least, it feels like there's a clear at least one to two in my eyes, and then everything else you can kind of go anywhere. I think there's a clear like top tier, second tier. I think the Mets top five prospects are probably a little bit more muddled than maybe some of the public outlets would like to admit, maybe the top seven guys. And I still think this is not as bad as the top ten. As what's going around right now in the baseball world. People were saying the Mets had won the worst systems in baseball before the deadline.
Speaker 2: That may have been true.
Speaker 1: I have three new prospects inside my top ten since the deadline, and I'm still I still think there could be like five or six guys from this list their top hundred prospects by early next season.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't be surprised at all. I think we'll just get it started with number ten. Yeah, I have Sammy ste four.
Speaker 2: At number ten. I'm hiring staffur than you.
Speaker 1: Okay, there you go. Listen now, Sammy, I love what I saw off of him. To me, a lot of times when I do this prospect stuff, I do look at what they've done at levels. I look at age. I think in terms of raw talent, Sammy might be one of the higher guys in this system just because of that swing change with the power. I could see him by the end of this season being easily top five in the Mets system. Like, not even a bait, whether or not he is. I just want to see what those swing changers look like now in the Mets organization, playing in Brooklyn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm with that.
Speaker 1: Mine number ten, I had Jack Wendinger, who's had a disappointing season at TRIPAA so far. I'll get you guys the stats on Wenninger in a second. But I still don't have him dropping as much as I think maybe his surface stats will indicate, which is having a four and a half VRA, having a thirteen percent walk right in only twenty two percent strack out rap because I still look at Wenninger's stuff. He still has two legitimate secondary pitches. I think we'll get major league hiters out in his slyther and his splither, and the slyer will be good against right he split it will be good against lefties. Right there, you have the makings of a star. His fastball and the sinker are both fine pitches, not great, they're fine. I think they could ascend to being good if he could one consistently locate them, which has been a big problem this season, or two fine. The last tick of velocity the Mets have been hopelessly so checked four with him too, So we can go from ninety three to ninety five to ninety four to ninety six.
Speaker 2: I think that'd become a big deal for Wendinger. He did that better last season.
Speaker 1: I think this season maybe physically, just hasn't had the same success. But there's still to me a fine back end starting pitcher in Jack Wenninger. Yes, I had him just a little bit higher, because again I do think the floor, like you said, is going to be just a back end starting pitcher. He has enough pitches to be successful enough at the major league level. I think the rocket ship helium has ended on him right now until something changes. Like you said, maybe there's a velo step that eventually happens for him. But guys like Jack Wendinger are winning Wenninger. Wenninger, sorry, is very, very valuable to a roster like the New York Mets in the future. Anytime you have young, controllable pitching, it's valuable. You see, teams are always looking for young controllable pitching, especially at the deadline. What we saw, whether he makes an impact for this team where he makes an impact in another organization, whatever it is. I do think that this is a major league baseball pitcher, and I think it's probably next season. I think even you could see a spot star for him at the end of this season. It can just to see, yeah, just see, we're gonna see a lot of the rookie debuts across the league and probably with the Mets too, over the next few weeks.
Speaker 2: But who's your number nine?
Speaker 1: Jack Brimer?
Speaker 2: For me at number nine, okay, had Rymer a little bit higher. Mine was a Milion p. Treck.
Speaker 1: Okay, I had Petray a little bit higher on mine. Actually, wow, a little again, probably a little bit of box score scouting here. I know Rhymer big thing this year has been the injuries have really hurt his progression through the minor leagues this season. Got to double A. Is hitting okay so far, but again just the inconsistent with the playing time because of the injuries. The raw stuff is really good with him, like he makes legit loud contact consistently. I don't think he's a third baseman, which is also why I bumped him down a little bit. I think he's ultimately a right handed hitting first basement, which is not necessarily the most desirable if we're coming up with the perfect prospect. It's so funny. I'm starting off with the draftnick Mark followers over here, rhymers for a ten, nine to ten, you went a little bit higher on them. It is nothing about changing my theory of what kind of prospect he can be. It's just it's slowed down a little bit for me. I'm giving it more to the guys with helium right now. Yeah, And I think it's it's odd that's happened this year, but a lot of the Mets prospects that they're expecting a lot of heading into the season just I've had injury riddled seasons and just had taken steps back physically, but injuries specifically, I've hurt Rhymer, They've hurt Will Watson, who is in my honorable mentions. They hurt Mitch Voight a lot. At the beginning of the season. We're going to talk about him way closer to the top. Like, it's just unfortunate that a lot of these Mets guys that were pushing or even Brimer's case, inside top hundred list heading into the season have just had poor seasons. And that's fine to happen, but you can't really take away from Jacob Brimer as a twenty one year old.
Speaker 2: Double a last year.
Speaker 1: The guy had like an almost nine hundred ops and run sixty games. He was someone that actually broke through the power ceiling in Brooklyn, which you always talk about how difficult that is for Mets prospects and how that is a big indication for us of when an offensive prospect is really really on a different level compared to other guys who could be in the system. Yeah, definitely. I just want to see how we adjust the rest of the year. I feel like where I'm at right now with my Mets prospect rankings is one of the least stable that I've ever felt over the last few years. Where by the end of the season, when we do this again after the minor league season ends, I wouldn't be shocked how different our lists both look, and especially mine. I think my entire top ten almost can be in completely different spots.
Speaker 2: We do this two months from now, Yeah, without a doubt, I wouldn't be shocked. Yeah, and then just to talk about, well, where'd you have Petray? Had Petra at number five?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 1: Well, so okay, My number eight was Rhymers. We covered him so we could wait to talk about My number eight was Winninger.
Speaker 2: So there we go.
Speaker 1: We've got some guys covered there. Seven, Ryan Clifford. Hi Clifford off my top ten this time. My seven was tongue interesting, Okay, I had tong a little bit higher with Clifford being at number seven. For me, I just know that the raw power is there. This year has been there's no way to describe it a disaster for Ryan Clifford at Triple A. The Mets have been desperately looking for anybody to play first base. It's now Jared Young, who's having a nice season. But the fact that there's been such a flux at that position in terms of stability, and this was a year where if Clifford had any sort of juice at Triple A, definitely gets a look and could have even possibly won that position. It's a real shame that has taken such a step back. He's still incredibly young, he still has ridiculous power. I'm just I'm going to chalk it up as a lost season. We'll figure it out next year. Yeah, I think that's totally fair. Again, Young Clifford is till twenty two years old. I even think a career trajectory of like a Jared Young should give some hope for the future of Ryan Clifford being a strong side platoon first baseman. And while he can't touch the ball like a nearly forty percent straker race is untenable. A seventy four percent zone contact rate is like worse than Spencer Jones, just to give a comparison. But the fact that he's still popping out one tense, one eleven's one twelve, one thirteen to one to fifteen in Binghamton last year, anytime his back goes on, the balls hit very hard. And again, if he has to repeat Triple A and he turns twenty three years old, I'm not I don't think that completely takes him off being a major league player one day, but we will learn a lot at the end of the season because the Mets have to put him on the forty men. Yes, So that indication is that if he's on the forty man, he's already played the full season at Triple A. You should be ready to play major league baseball next year. So if they think this is not salvageable, he might be Rule five eligible. But I do still think that he makes their forty man roster by the end of this. But he was off my top ten after weigh seasons. I think it's fair. I just there was nobody that was like my honorable mention, and I think you're probably gonna mention him at some point. Wandy Austin Yen was one of my honorable mentions.
Speaker 2: He's really high for me.
Speaker 1: Oh, I know, he's number eleven for me. I just it's he's sixteen years old. I just I can't. I cannot tell you with certainty that because of what he's done as a sixteen year old that he's gonna be good even at age seventeen. I just I don't for sure. I think it's so insane. But I do love him as a prospect, and I love what I've seen this far. But he was my he was my honorable mention. Where like I wanted to be crazy with him, I can't in my own heart, I can't do it. He I think this offseason you'll start to see him actually sneak into certain top hundreds, and I'll just he's my number six, So I'll start talking about him right now.
Speaker 2: We'll wait to talk more about Tong. Who'd you have at seven?
Speaker 1: Tong Tong per BK fan O nine Mets Prospect group. He's a great person on Twitter to get DSL lower minds information on the Mets. He had Wanda ascien as a one eleven max exit of flat at sixteen. Okay, I did not see that. I saw six, So that would change things for me. This one was hit directly into the ground. But if any sixteen year old the United States of America had the one eleven max exit philosoity, No, totally, they would be talking about for two years at playing slick shortstop at Wandassian size, which is already I think over. He's six feet tall, already one hundred eighty pounds. He's probably gonna grow sixteen years old, and he's turning seventeen quite in a few weeks. Again, we'll get to seventeen, but we're gonna have we have physical projection. We have someone with legit speed, who already has insane raw power, who looks like not only can stick a short stop again, he's going to turn seventeen in two weeks. Heart to say these things, but looks like one day he'll be a really good defensive shortstop. He doesn't have to be in the forty Mantle twenty third least. We've got a lot of time on want the Ossi in here, but just seeing those bones are before, just seeing those bones have a player who went to the DSL again, did the whole thing at sixteen and rocked it. He's I it's hard to get more excited about the Mets prospect, even though he's a child. Yeah, no, I will say did not know one eleven because of course Twitter has the worst search functions. Is the worst thing they've done to in the history of so it's the worst search ever. There's never been a worse search. Truthfully, I don't know why. But when I searched the wandi Ossian exit velocity to try and get anything I want, the first thing that came up was who It was a bunch of pirates tweets from Platinum Key. Somehow, that's so funny. The first tweet Wanda Assi and exit velosities to search. The tweet is Henry Davis. Leaves no doubt about this one. A spring training home run seems like wand right, Yeah right, Henry Davis wandi Assian same thing, Yeah, same thing. If I had known one eleven top five prospect in the system.
Speaker 2: It's me six.
Speaker 1: He almost got to five. He almost did. My number six is the other youngster, Ellien Payneyeah. I put him at number six. Again, I see people being very very aggressive with him as a hitter. I am wondering because I still think the exit villows haven't been there yet to like really be an eye opening, which again I think is super important. But does seem like he's going to be able to play shortstop better than we thought, which is really good for his floor.
Speaker 2: Yes, at least well enough. He was my five.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's fair, and just the bottom line is that Elli and Payne, with all the peedigree and everything he came with being an above average bat in low a as an eighteen year old with big slump's, big hot streaks trying to find his consistency. That's that's enough to me to make me think he's very clearly a fringe top one hundred prospect and as a lefty bat who should be, like you said, possibly an adequate shortstop, certainly someone who could play the other infield positions, probably quite well. Yes, again, there's enough traits here, enough of a hitterish profile and enough room for projection. Even though he does look he looks like his size is kind of there. I'd be curious if he ever got to like a one to twelve, one to thirteen max ex of philosophy. I'd be very surprised, honestly, if you had a thirty home run future as a major League killer. Yeah, I see like an eighteen to twenty two home run guy who could run a high batting average in a decent on base percentage. Yeah, there's a bunch of different ways to be a very very productive major league baseball player. I don't think it's going to be in the superstar form of Eli and Payana. Like his international signing pool money would have possibly indicated that's gonna Ossien. Ossien might be that guy, specially at the ball What eleven at sixteen, that's absolutely insane. There's you can't put him in pitching machines that go one to eleven. If a high schooler did that, there would be scats from all over the country watching his games. He would be the number one pick and they would be like talking about should he continue to play high school baseball just because he might get hurt? So what I'm saying, you'd have like the Bryce Harper thing where it's like should he go to Juco? Should he get his ged go to Juco so we can get drafted early, and like the fact that he was such a big international money guy, like he's just it looks like there's could be something really nice here. Yeah, no, super talented. My number five was amilion p tre where I can't I can't shake the aj Ewing thing that I'm that we said earlier on where it's like very very similar Ish like hitter ish puts the ball and play a ton.
Speaker 2: Left, different twing, different twitch, different twitch.
Speaker 1: Ewing's got more of the athleticism I see more of, like the bat to ball with a million p tray and the numbers I think would support that as well. But like, give me the in between of those two guys, and I really like that kind of player. And it seems like he's a capable second basement even corner outfielder, which I like a lot. It's probably also a relatively capable third basement depending on his arm. But just simply and we said this at the trade deadlines, why we're so excited about him as again, the centerpiece of the Freddie Peralta trade, a ninety percent in zone contact, one hundred eleven mile prior max exit phlosoity, and nearly two times as many walks to.
Speaker 2: Strikeouts at double A.
Speaker 1: While he's older again, he's twenty three years old, turned twenty four soon or just maybe had just turned twenty four. It's it looks like some of the next season should be contributing to the big Ley roster, which is really exciting. Yeah, as a likely functional player, his floor is awesome, Like I like him very much, learning more about him, all right, So that means we're in the top four now, right, Yes, number four. I went Jonathan Santucci, okay with you as Toalng much higher still, I have tongue at three, okay, and I listen, you're gonna have the pitch stuff a little bit better than me here. I just I can't, So I went Santucci for tongue three. I can't shake what I've seen with tongue in the past.
Speaker 2: This year is bizarre, Like what.
Speaker 1: The fuck happened? Did he have an out of body experience where it's no longer jonah tong? Did he have the uh willow wishing willow thing where he like wished for something and it actually caused a demon to take over his body, because it's like he is completely a shell of himself. And I do wonder what that could be and what that means moving forward. But the stuff has been so good that I just I'm gonna believe in it until I physically can't anymore. I think that's totally fair. And my whole thing with Tongue is that. And I had them at seven on my list, but again, I don't have that big of a difference between now four and nine on my list. I think that's fair. And yet before get to my four in a second, but these are all guys who would consider not kind of closest to the top one hundred, but more guys would between like the one hundred and twenty to one hundred and fiftieth best prospects.
Speaker 2: Totally, But at the end of the.
Speaker 1: Day, with tong if he can't get a pitch to move left, he will not be able to be a major league starting pitcher, unless as he continues to physically mature. We're still very possible with Joe and Tongue still as a twenty three year old still is a pretty I think he's still eve in a shade of below the average age at Triple A, like he could still possibly even find another sick because he's still filling out. He still looks very young and slight, and he's now sustaining ninety five. But that was like still blow where he was wanted to be last year.
Speaker 2: But still whatever.
Speaker 1: Less the color has been so inconsistent at Triple A this year. There is some games where it moves left and is great, and it'll sit eighty nine, touch ninety. Sometimes it'll go over ninety, but then it won't be able to go left as much. Sometimes I'll have a little more depth on it. Makes me think sometimes he's experimenting still with two different color shapes, which it's just been this entire season of trying to figure this out. And I do fear that sometimes messing with that color has altered his fastball in the way that's a little bit unfortunate, losing some of the great shape on that. But the change up still looks good. And he's adjusted his curve ball to be a little bit more of a power curve this year, which is something we called out last year.
Speaker 2: The pitch was just simply too slow.
Speaker 1: We've seen some starts where he's had average curve ball velocities around eighty two to eighty three recently. So there's still plenty here to work with. And I'm not even close to quitting on Joe and Tong in any way, shape or form. But it is just like you've done a year of trying to get this thing together. You have to get this thing together at some point. Hot take. I think, throw away the cutter, throw away a slider. I think you just lean into being fastball, change up, and you've got to get a wicked hammer. I think with the way that his armslot is just keep trying both no fuck it, stop it, and the way that he throws, I don't think it's ever gonna work. There's a reason that we don't see those guys throwing cutters because it just doesn't really work. There's not many guys that throw like there's not many guys that throw like Jonah Tong to begin with, which like Y Savage is like the closest comp but he's a different freak and a different animal. But like, just get a hammer, just get a wicked curveball. I think that's how you do it. It's unfortunate because you're gonna become a three pitch pitcher and it does hurt your ceiling. But I don't think that the development or the attempt of development of this cutter slash slider is doing him any good. If anything, it's making him take a step back. I don't think it's really possible with his armslot. I'm looking at some armslot guys right now and I want to see what pitches they're throwing. He's this is the most lazy take I'm ever gonna have, because Beren Brown has a fucking hammer like that curveball is disgusting. But he's a he is a fastball curveball pitcher.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: There's nothing else.
Speaker 2: Let's think.
Speaker 1: I mean Tobias Myers has similar armslot and had I mean stinks back comp right now, but he's shown success with a color in the past. I think it definitely is possible, and I do think that they're going to continue to try to do it because of all of the other pitcher that thing could exist. For Tom I think if he has a hammer, like, how much better can this curveball get than it is right now?
Speaker 2: It can get much better?
Speaker 1: I think if you stop, if you just throw away the cutter slider thing, you're not going to be able to get a pitch that move's left. Get the curveball going. It still might at the end of the day always hurt him against right handed batteris like that curveball still might. Yeah, but twelve six is have worked in the past against righties. I think again, as baseball, we've fallen in love in love with the slider over the last couple of years for good reason. There's gonna be an adjustment back. But the curveball is still a very very good pitch. You can be a great pitcher with a great curveball. Oh, he definitely could be a good pitcher with great curveball. He just still hasn't shown that great curveball. So to me, the cut is almost ahead of the curveball.
Speaker 3: Sometimes.
Speaker 1: I don't know the fact that he can't the fact that he can't throw that cutter like like it's so bad. One of the color shapes that he throws sometimes is a little bit more slytherish, where the cover is something that is moving on not that dissimilar vertical plane. Is that fastball, which I think the one they want, But there's something with more depth on it sometimes which is not too dissimilar at a very different velocity than the one jeremiahs Strava throws. And jeremiahs Strada is so over the top, but he gets more natural cut on his fastball, so he is able to cut that ball a.
Speaker 2: Little bit better.
Speaker 1: And because of he has that more of a supernation biased than tongue does. He can't throw the change up the tongue does. He throws a splitther that it's just he's because like the way that this cutter moves, it's just the worst version of his fastball right now. So like, what's the fucking point? Well, if the point is that just moves left and he gives righty something, think about in the outside of the plate.
Speaker 2: If it moves two inches left, that's like, who gives a shit? No, I think that's incredibly valuable.
Speaker 1: Not if you think so bad the fastball vert is still been fine. I think they're willing to give up some and I think that was at least the thought process this year is give up some fastball vert.
Speaker 2: For some color left.
Speaker 1: This is where I'm gonna say, like I disagree with against righty's. I think it's more so against lefties. If that cutter is moving less than six inches, he can only throw that pitch on the outside order ariighties, and it's not moving enough to get with at most points, like these major league hitters are talented enough where they're still gonna barrel up that pitch if it's only moving horizontally two inches. I think this is also the problem with a lot of pictures like Tobias Myers, where the stuff's not really moving a big amount over to the left against the same side, and he'll never.
Speaker 2: Be able to get that pitch to move a lot.
Speaker 1: That's why I'm like, I think it's useless best why said the change up is the saving grace for him, because that pitch will miss bats, I think against hitterers from both sides of the plate, that is something that he should be able to kind of always have with him, at least something that has been really really critical from this year, even this year at triple A, that change up as a fifty one or forty percent free and even the color again Triple A doesn't matter. He's not throwing it in his own very much against thirty percent chase like there are moments where it flashes and it stays above ninety sometimes when that depty one doesn't, but maybe that will miss his more bats like. It's just basically similar as we said about Clifford, but with more talent to start on. It's a wash year. Don't let that make you totally forget about John Tom completely right the kid off, but just understand that there's still development needs to happen here. Yeah, he's twenty three. A lot of pitchers don't peak until.
Speaker 2: They're like twenty seven, so I mean even later.
Speaker 1: Some twenty seven year old just got traded. Yeah, Randy Johnson was thirty, he was quite old. Yeah, so again it take some time whatever. And then Nolan McLean come up on twenty five. Yeah, I'm not I'm not particularly worried about tong just interesting to you how they do it moving forward. And then did you have Santucci three? I had Saint Tucci three, but I didn't say myy four?
Speaker 2: Oh who is your four? Sammy'stafer baby, Sammy's the four.
Speaker 1: Nice, that's my guy. So you and Jonathan DeMeo, I combined Jonathan Mayo and Joan and Joe DeMeo. Joe DeMeo shout out Joe both super super high on Stafour in the list, and I love it. I think the ceiling is there. Yeah, I think the ceiling is there, and I think the floor is better than it seems with a lot of his swing and miss in the minors, just because he just plays really good.
Speaker 2: Defense and he's an amazing athlete.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like he can withstand a thirty percent track up rate in two years in the major leagues better than most other players can because I can see him being a plus defender, growing into even a better defender than that, and still hitting for power. I believe it. Like right now we're seeing calls to Montgomery do this and it's like very inconsistent kind of at the play, but the home runs the defense completely save his value. Not saying that, I mean, I think calls my GM re Freshval's bigger than Stephora. But that's kind of the archetype where I'm seeing here in terms of a floor, which is why I'm ranks to four highly and the twenty games before he got traded fifteen home runs control and a twenty five percent track out ray when he had like a thirty three strike out ray before those twenty games started and that Coen sided with his swing change. David Stearns dropped the nugget in the post trade then press conference that it came with rising bad speed, like as a mega athlete with that kind of power with who possibly just made like a career altering adjustment, Like I would like.
Speaker 2: To see him continue to do this.
Speaker 1: I'm excited to see him at double A next season because it looks like he has all the tools of being a freak and he's another guy. If he closes the season as hot as he played in July, he'll sneak into the back of top hundred lists for sure. Gonna just gonna wait until I see that. That was the only reason why I had him at number ten. Super Fer Santucci, we haven't talked about too much, so you had him at three, I had him at four. We're basically in the same realm. He's just been really good. He has been the Mets pitcher this year. If you look at the minor league pitching staff, he's been the guy who has had the most excitement. He dominated Double A, dom dominated it like, made it look like his bitch, and now he's at Triple A. And we're gonna see him make his adjustments. He is going to run into trouble. It is going to happen, and if he doesn't, holy shit.
Speaker 2: We got a rocket on our hands. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Another guy who there is He has claimed to being the top prospect in the Mets system right now, with no issue ranking him there. Also, again, he's probably going to be a guy who sneaks in the top hundreds, but he's still i think hitting the same roadblock that we've been thinking about recently. First of all, as the left youth rows ninety four to ninety five above average veal, that's good shape is it's not that good, but it's good enough with that velo And it's a great slider. That's been a great slider since he was drafted in the second round out of Duke a few years ago. And we're still probably similarly same conversation here, waiting on the third pitch, waiting on the changeup that he flashed a little bit in college. Then he threw four of them in his first triple A start out of ninety pitches. So it is still going to be Slyther fur Seemer for jumbo Corbin Jonathan Santuccio KORbin. I love Jombo Corbin, but again like it's he also seems like there's two different slid this year looking at his pitch chart from that first Triple A start, where there's one that is more of just like a pure gyro guy just kind of spins and kind of sits at the near the zero zero line for the pitching nerds out there on the pitch charts. But then there was one with more depth on it. So I'm wondering if he's manipulating that pitch a little bit to give make the two pitches really act like three pitches. We see guys like Justin Steele to this too. Yeah, I'd like to know because that's that's such an interesting thing to me. Is like to throw a worse version sometimes it's interesting. Yeah, I mean more there's a different version if they're lining up your slide and no, you're throwing a slider boom.
Speaker 2: That one dropped through extra interest. That's how you get them.
Speaker 1: No, totally, I'm interested to see what he does though at Triple A, especially because now we can get some Legiti number stuff. Yeah, I can't wait to do that. But it's the fastball ninety five good enough for me.
Speaker 2: Top two.
Speaker 1: I think we have the same names. I wonder if they're in the same spots. At number two, I went Mitch Voight. Number one, I went Jefferson Rojas.
Speaker 2: Yep, exact same.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Mitch Voight, I think is probably gonna sneak into the top one hundred very soon. It feels like it's a super small sample having his way with double A simply put well, I mean, I think you even put lightly first eight games at double A for Mitch Voy.
Speaker 2: We have a six hundred batting average. That's pretty good. That's pretty good right there.
Speaker 1: And I do think that while he dealt with an injury early in the season, he did not start off very well. He's been playing so well lately that again, I think it's very fair for Mets fans to begin to get just very excited about what Mitch voy can be as a hitter, as a defensive player, just even as again someone who might wind up as a fringy top hunch of prospect and end of season re ranks. He seems like he can also play shortstop at a very high level. It seems like he's really good over there. There are some plays that I saw from highlights again highlights. So it's gonna be the best players that he makes. But from Brooklyn where I'm like, I couldn't believe he got to that ball, and then watching him throw when he lets that thing loose, he has a fucking howitzer attached to his right arm.
Speaker 2: He's ridiculous. No, he's a freak athlete.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he made big changes at the end of his Michigan careers, getting away from pitching, which is where the arm comes from, and finding just one a little bit more power, but two elite swing decisions and he's taking them here. I have a good note from Jeffrey Paster Dostro of Baseball Perspectus on on recent newsletter about Mets prospects that boyight now through this part of the season he's been hot, is matching his ex of velocities from college.
Speaker 2: But that was with a metal bat. True.
Speaker 1: Wait, that's a good point. Yeah, So we have one hundred and seven mile proro ninety PERCENTILEGGS velosity in a max of one to twelve.
Speaker 2: That's playing shortstop at Michigan when he was there. It's a good question.
Speaker 1: Don't know, how was he not the shortstop he was in the elite second basement. I think his profile looked different when everyone thought he was going to be a second basement. But now, like you said that, he's regarded as someone that not only could be an adequate shortstop, but legitimately a good one who could be in Triple A next season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's hitting the.
Speaker 1: Ball this hard, and he's making these go swing decisions really good on bass guy, way more walks to strikeouts since late May when it looked like he was healthy against stealing bases like a madman like he is. This is a ballplayer right here, and someone that I'm ready for Mets fans to become legitimately excited about. You know, he's going to be a big name next season for sure. And then of course Number one Jefferson Rojas newly acquired from the Chicago Cubs. Straight up, just good player, all around good. The power seems like it's going to be solid enough. The bat to ball skills seems good, seems like the fielding is good, the arm is strong, good athleticism. This is a very very very high high floor player. Definitely, he's an aggressive hitter, so I'm curious how that happens. He continues to move up levels or even possibly get to the major leagues next year, because I do think also his forty man clock starts after this season. He was a super super young yeah, seasfect, so that makes sense, and.
Speaker 2: So he's been around a while. He's relatively a famous prospect.
Speaker 1: He just turned twenty one at the beginning of this year, so we'll play almost the entirety of next season still, it's just twenty two years old and likely begin at TRIPAA. But some advanced day that we had on Rojas, when a week and a half before the trade deadline with completely telegraph that we were getting him from the cups for one of the starting pitchers. It's a twenty five percent with rate, which is really good, a fourteen percent in zone swinging mis rate, which is really good. Only a thirty one percent chase rate, which is shockingly low from a hitter as aggressive as Jefferson. Rojas is only three point six pitches per played appearance mark you remember our fancy baseball legue last year, pitches per play appearance as a category electric that's really low right there, and then eggs of lost.
Speaker 2: He is good, not great.
Speaker 1: One ten max one hundred four mile power ninety nearly a forty percent hit rate. That's all good, but again at his age, I could still see him growing into more power, possibly as some tweaks come in pitch selection one day, because he just loves to swing at everything in his zone right now, which is great sup productive doing. So it's just without the defensive upside. The upside is that he coulds adequately play short but play third quite well. He you said it was what one ten max exs of ve lo o, Yes, one ten max ex av low and the average was at what the average we have EV fifty or I EV ninety, which is one oh four. That's basically your average then right, yes, no EV ninety, No, that's that's your ninety percentile. So it's like takelop off the top.
Speaker 2: Of top percent. Flop off those yeah, take those off.
Speaker 1: Okay. So I'm just trying to find like a shortstop at the major league level right now who's like similar is in terms of the eggs of velo stuff, just so that like I mean honestly, like it's it's not too far off like what Francisco Lindor does in terms of like max ex and veilos. But Lindor Andy think, is Ross switch hithers, he's left, he's just right right, He's just already. I mean, it's like Sander Bogarts.
Speaker 2: Yeah kind of is he could be He could be Bogartsy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would. I would take a Bogartsy hitter because he's he's hitherish. I think in Will Sam It's recent article, someone did, like the best case here if he puts on some strength and really gets to pull in these fly balls, is a non switch hitting can tell.
Speaker 2: Martee, ooh, that'd be sick, just because.
Speaker 1: It's great aggression in the zone that's come with shockingly good swing decisions for his aggression. I like it. Cool, Yeah, sign me up, lots of Yeah, lots of his own swings. Has the ability to pull in lyft at a very young age. For being able to pull in lift like it's it's a fun profile. Unless there's big strides with the bat, that is not going to be monster potential here now. But this is a major league baseball player for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't think we're gonna see thirty home runs from Jefferson Ross. No, that's okay too.
Speaker 1: A lot of good Xander Bogarts was hitting like twenty home runs a year for the Red Sox. He was a damn good player back then. Bogart's fun comp We could run with that one as a righty back, good size. Will never be an elite shortstop defend there, but could probably make it there.
Speaker 2: I think Bogart's the problem.
Speaker 1: If I remember correctly, he is just bigger than Jefferson Rojas.
Speaker 2: He's like six 'two or Rojas I think is under.
Speaker 1: Six, but brohas was under six news like eighteen. I don't know how big Jeffon Rojas is right now. That is fair. He's twenty one now, so see that's what I'm saying those He's not one hundred and fifty pounds, so I don't trust that height list of either you know who's you know what size. He is very much like and similar exit Velos too. He is very much like zach Netto. Okay, Zacknall is a little bit whippier, though it's a little whippier, but the bat speeds below average for zach Neetto, the exit Villos are basically the same as what you just told me for Rojas. I think the difference is that Rojas will be able to play shortstop better than the Zach Netto, which is one of the worst in baseball. Yeah, I always forget that Bogarts as a monster. Yeah he's just sixty twenty. Yeah. If Ander Bogart is born in different country, he'd be split out wide. Yeah, you'd be playing wide receiver for the Jets. He'd be the X right now, I'd be getting phades in the end zone. Football's on the mind, But I I think that's it for our prospects, right, And how about your honorable mentions. Name some guys that you're excited about. I'll name some guys that I'm excited about that didn't get mentioned. Yep. I still like Carson Wiggins and Adan Robbins, and I still think we're gonna take some time to get them in here. Eli Crono's another guy who was flashing top hundred upside has had an injury riddled season. I think Giovanni Rodriguez should be someone that Mets fans should keep an eye on, just because he's It takes a long time sometimes for the international prospect especially international catchers, to get defeat wet and we were a little bit what's it called spoiled by Francisco Walver as assent, but as a nineteen year old and a ball he's still playing ball well, so I do think that's something that he's just a player I'm watching. I also again, Will Watson just started the rehab assignment.
Speaker 2: I like him.
Speaker 1: I think Cole mathis the prospect that we got for David Peterson is quite interesting.
Speaker 2: And there's one more guy.
Speaker 1: I want to get his name right right now because he's someone who's flashing as well.
Speaker 2: It's Davielle Ortado.
Speaker 1: Okay, oh the picture the Cuban. Yes, he's looked really good. Yeah, so he's someone. And also kleiner As is his name. Also in the low miners, who are guys who are younger are titles now with Brooklyn and he's pitching well enough there. The strikeouts have gone down, the walks have gone up, but he's someone who we should do some intrigue there on the offensive side of things. Guys that I want to mention Randy Guzman still just hits the ball on this list too exceptionally hard. There's a ton of swing and missing his game, but he takes absolute daddy hacks at the plate. Also shout out to Chris Suero because even though again he's striking out thirty percent of the time at double A, he's walking sixteen percent. That's just like.
Speaker 2: Super super intriguing as a prospect playing a lot of catcher right now as well.
Speaker 1: Also, we still to shot out moreb though he still looks like a fringe fourth outfielder type, who's who could be a valuable play at the next level. Gary kill Hill the other piece we got in the friendly prault to trade cam Tilly. A lot of people are into cam Tilly right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been raging Benglington right now. That's my guy right there.
Speaker 1: He has been raging a few guys who are not going to play pro ball this year, but we'll get into it next year after they go to the pitching lab. Luke McNeely and Shan Sadao are two mid round picks from this year. There and Aiden Smith just has haid two home runs of Brooklyn. Nice, let's go Hayden Smith. And then yeah, just a quick little because the Mets have now been doing this a lot in the David Stearns era. I think we got a couple guys from Independent Baseball that are a little bit older that are quickly getting promoted again. They should be because of their age to the level. But John Bay and JT. Benson, I believe were undrafted guys that have been putting up some good numbers. I don't know if they ever make it to the majors. It is quite the uphill battle, but it is really cool to see that the Mets who Jonathan Pintaro. They found him on the scrap people like, absolutely out of nowhere. There's a lot of guys that the Mets have been picking up recently from different walks of baseball, Daniel Duarte that have ended up making soon Jeffrey on some sort of appearance on the Mets roster. Bay and Benson are guys to keep an eye out for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt. Benson was your Oregon Let's click.
Speaker 1: I don't really know much about him, just that he was an undrafted guy. It just says he was purchased from Indie Ball in March of twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: JT.
Speaker 1: Benson good podcasting here. He came from Louisville. He went to University of Louisville and then he played for He played in the Frontier League last year, lit it up and he was played for the Evansville Otters. So we're forty and fifty six in the Frontier League, which I mean, that's for the love of the game right.
Speaker 2: There, that truly is.
Speaker 1: But again, I think this system right now, I think conservatively at rank it somewhere between fifteen and twenty and all of baseball after the deadline.
Speaker 2: And if we get the proper growth.
Speaker 1: And hot finishes from a lot of our injured guys and a lot of guys missing time with injury, he's gonna send more guys to the AFL. We'll get more data on some guys we don't have, probably like a Rhymer, probably like a Cole Mathis. I bet Petray gets there to see what's good for next year. So I want to see steffergo there if he had a season hockeyball. Want that guy to keep playing ball. Like it's the Mets boys as well, have tended to use that as the place for the injured guys to play more.
Speaker 2: But this year we've had good players injured.
Speaker 1: Well I know I'm saying, but like's that's usually what the Mets have been using the AFL for.
Speaker 2: It seems like I.
Speaker 1: Would just I would like to see the Mets put some real AFL talent out there, because they haven't in years now, they haven't in quite since. Honestly, we went out there. Maybe we just have to put Arizona in the fall snakes up to see if they're in the World Series. But that's I think it's a fine system right now. I think it's one has been a little underrated nationally. I think there's a good upshot right now for the Mets minor leagues for a system that has graduated Nolan McLain, Christian Scott, aj Ewing, Carson ben Zach Thornton this season alone.
Speaker 2: Well, Thorton's not graduated yet, just in our minds.
Speaker 1: He's in our minds, he's graduated in our less I'm pretty impressed that the Mets system isn't the worst in baseball.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, it's not bad that we're actually maintaining our spot.
Speaker 1: So let me know what you guys are thinking down the comment section below. Don't forget to subscribe to met Stuff for more Mets content. You can follow James on social media at James Shawn and I'm Draftnick Mark. We'll catch you guys on the next one peace.
Speaker 4: Out piece Mets then.
Speaker 3: Then then
Speaker 1: Don't that that S, don't that that