Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Matt Lafleur, the Packer's head coach who joins us on the program, is seventh season there, come on in, coach. The Packers went eleven and six the number two seed Eagles. They lost to them. Hi, Bud, good to see you. So sit down. We got a home field advantage here.
Speaker 3: I know, nine o'clock in the morning, drinking some beer.
Speaker 2: They only in Green Bay. They started showing up at three point thirty in.
Speaker 3: The morning for tomorrow night's draft. Yeah, a deal, I know.
Speaker 2: So when it comes to draft week, are you any different than you are in other weeks preparing for the draft?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean you're juggling.
Speaker 4: We have our first phase of the off season programs, so right now we're doing it virtually because of just all the people that are congregating to Green Bay, and so you're just kind of juggling that schedule and doing the last second setting.
Speaker 3: Of the board.
Speaker 2: But in dealing with the media, in what you say and how you say, because you don't want to tip your hand, are you like how good are you at lying? Just depends who you're asking, So like, let me say who are you drafting?
Speaker 4: Well, that's a great question, you know. That's what I usually say, who are we drafted? I'm sure you've done a mock so no, no, no, I'm the only somebody here.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, we do not. We are mock free. We are mockless.
Speaker 4: But some that I watch and I look at and I'm like, I hope not. And then there's others that I get really excited about.
Speaker 2: So, but you have to it's almost like you're preparing somebody for a deposition. You're just like, okay, let's create a mock draft. Now how do we react to that? So you would go through scenarios, probably in real time, where somebody goes all right, cam Ward's off the board, Travis off the board, Ashton genty off the board. So then you get to where you got are.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know that's something that our scouting department does more than what we do as a staff.
Speaker 2: Oh So you wouldn't get together in a room and go, okay, if this happens, then we do this.
Speaker 4: No, but our scouting department does all that. Okay, So we focus more our time. Like I said, it's it's phase one of our off season programs. So the majority of our time this week is dedicated to our players.
Speaker 2: I was talking to Mel Kuyper about this, and he said, why do coaches and gms put more faith or credence in things that happen after a season is over? So they haven't These guys haven't played any games, you know, maybe the Senior Bowl. And Mel said, you know, you're trying to get guys playing against guys who will play in the NFL, because there are guys who are playing against guys who won't be in the NFL and trying to understand just how good somebody is. So how difficult is that to go asking Genty? I see him and man, he's dominating, But is he dominating against guys who will play in the NFL? Or Shadoor Sanders playing against somebody or a wide receiver?
Speaker 3: So how do you.
Speaker 2: Then kind of read between the lines of that guy is legitimate?
Speaker 4: Well, I think you always are looking for certain traits at every position, and obviously there's a lot of testing, and the guys are doing less and less of that, but you're just looking for traits. I do think it becomes more of a challenge when you're maybe at some of the lower levels when guys just absolutely dominate the competition. It's easier when you're looking at some guys that are coming from some of these SEC programs where there's just more NFL talent on the field.
Speaker 3: What are red flags to you?
Speaker 4: Well, it just depends. There's character issues that come up, because I think if you get good people and that love the game of football, and that's always the thing that you're trying to find out throughout the draft process. But if you get guys that love the game of football and have high character, I feel like they have a chance of reading their reaching their ceilings.
Speaker 3: So that is something that we're always looking for.
Speaker 2: Okay, but what could you ask me that is going to reveal.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean there's there's a lot of background that goes into these guys and that that's where you rely so heavily on the scouting department. And certainly there's relationships that you have with people at schools, whether it's other coaches or whoever, and you're always trying to get people to give you the truth.
Speaker 2: We're talking to Matt Luflor, the Packer's head coach. How often have you gone out for a game and you know it's going to be.
Speaker 3: Cold, and it's almost every week.
Speaker 2: But but but you have to put on a good front. You have to be tough, you know, right, you can't be like all bundled up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're right. So what I've learned is it doesn't matter. It's all about layering. So I might have like seven layers have clothed on. Now they might be very thin. But I like to wear a vest usually out on the field. But if I'm in a coat, full coat, you know it's cold.
Speaker 2: Okay, but you have good hair. How important is it to make sure that the hair is not covered up?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, it just depends. I try not to wear a hat, but sometimes I do.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: If they make hats that I like, then I'm more apt to wear them. Sometimes they don't always make the hats I like.
Speaker 3: Okay, but you got good hair. I appreciate that. Then you know what, you've got great hairs?
Speaker 2: Who I have great And I have gray hair too.
Speaker 3: It's great and mine's coming in. It's starting to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah. How long did it take you to get over the loss to the Eagles?
Speaker 3: I mean you got to flip the script pretty quickly.
Speaker 4: Obviously, it's it's disappointing, but I think that when you look at them, I think they were the best team probably in the NFL, and they proved it.
Speaker 2: You know, we start, we do get caught up on quarterbacks and wide receivers and all of that, and really it's offensive and defense of lines that's a.
Speaker 3: Big, big player.
Speaker 4: I mean, you look at they were dominant up front on both sides of the ball. Certainly we had a hard time blocking them and also conversely getting pressure on the quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: So they are built the right way.
Speaker 2: The brotherly shove that the Packers came out Kins, would you have liked that to have remained anonymous that there's a team, that.
Speaker 4: It is what it is. We might have had some nudging towards that, but I'm not really going to get into that.
Speaker 2: Did the commissioner say we need somebody to speak up?
Speaker 3: I wouldn't say that.
Speaker 2: Because I don't think the commissioner wants this. No can I can I say what I think happened. Sure, Okay, I think the commissioner nudged you guys to say, look, if you have a grievance, put your name to it. I'll owe you one. And because I don't think he wants that play to stay in the game.
Speaker 3: Well, it's not a great football play.
Speaker 4: And then certainly when you look at what happened in the Washington Commander game where Frankie Louver was launching over.
Speaker 3: The top, which I mean it's a tough play to stop.
Speaker 4: We've actually had more success and we had some studies ran We've had more success with a traditional quarterback sneak than we have with you know, whatever you want to call it, brotherly show.
Speaker 2: I think Philadelphia is still going to be dominating with the quarterback sneak. I agree because of that line in that quarterback.
Speaker 4: I mean they do a great job and I mean Jalen Hurts can squat the house.
Speaker 3: They do a good job of just you know, winn in the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 4: It all starts right there and they get really low and they've they've perfected it.
Speaker 2: Take me back to the Jordan Love Draft. How many different players did you have penciled in for that draft?
Speaker 3: Pick?
Speaker 4: What picked were we? I can't remember what pick? Yeah, I'd say twenty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how many How many players did you have on the board that you were thinking of if the draft played out?
Speaker 3: How you thought of it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was certainly a couple and I think, you know, it's a credit to Goody and his staff just having that vision of if you don't have a quarterback in today's game, you're you're screwed, So let's just throw it out there. It's just tough. So you need to have that position solidified. And we're lucky we got him because I think he's a He's not only a great player, but I think he's an even better person. And I just love the energy comes in with each and every day and he works his tail off and he's continuing to develop as a leader.
Speaker 2: It's like taking a test, but you don't get your grade till three years later because you draft him and then you sit him and everybody is like, you know, you wasted a two years with Rogers, or you don't take a wide receive? Were you taking a wide receiver?
Speaker 4: Yeah, potentially if the right guy was there, But who who would that have been?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean there was some good ones, so I know I went.
Speaker 4: You went one before, Yeah, I believe, so I think San Francisco traded up.
Speaker 2: Would you have taken Ayuk if he was there?
Speaker 3: I think potentially.
Speaker 4: I mean I don't want to speak for everybody in our organization, but I think that certainly would have been in the discussion.
Speaker 3: I think Jefferson.
Speaker 4: Went, yeah, Chase, we knew he was going to be gone, so but yeah, Jefferson was right there in the wheelhouse. So I mean, there's always you better have a few players that are kind of there for you. And I think the controversy of that whole deal was that we traded up to go get Jordans. If we would have stayed there picked him, I don't I think it would have been less. Obviously, it still would have been a big story. But I think the fact that we went up to go get him, But I do think obviously it was the right decision.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I understand that, and I thought you guys.
Speaker 4: Were I love Yeah, I need I need that support from my Packer fans.
Speaker 3: I think you're good. I think you're good on that.
Speaker 2: But you you have to place that call to Aaron.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how was that interesting? I think he was shocked.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll play you call me okay, Yeah, oh hey, hey, coach, what what what happened?
Speaker 3: I don't think that that was like what the bleep? I think there was more of that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Okay, so, so what the bleep just happened? I will say, I mean, whether that was why or whatnot. But he did go out and had two pretty damn good years back and back.
Speaker 2: Yeah you pissed him off? Yeah yeah. What memories do you have playing for the Omaha Beef? Oh, the Omaha Beef.
Speaker 4: Probably the rump Roasters, which were these three hundred pound men, three hundred plus pound men that would go out there at halftime and perform for the crowd.
Speaker 3: That's what you remember. No, not really, but I just thought it was a good story. What kind of quarterback were you for the omahak Beef? Probably not a very good one.
Speaker 4: No, I just I was kind of a run around guy and can make some plays with my legs.
Speaker 2: Do your players ever bring up your career?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: Do you ever?
Speaker 4: I'm sure they do behind my back, and it probably make fun of me a little bit.
Speaker 3: But do you have your Omaha Beef jersey? I do not.
Speaker 2: Damn I'd love to have that. I'd love to hang that in the man cave. Yeah, that never found your Omaha Beef.
Speaker 4: I don't think they. I mean, I think the budget was a little bit different. They probably were used it for the next five years.
Speaker 2: So sometimes we get caught up in oh, you never played the game, but you played the game. You didn't play, you know at the NFL level. Sure, how much does that impact you? Do you think when you're especially when you're called plays and trying to put yourself in the position of Jordan or Aaron Well.
Speaker 4: I think having the quarterback background certainly helps. I think it allows you to kind of see the game and feel the game through the lens of the quarterback, which is I think most play callers are trying to do. And how do you set that guy up for success and ultimately scores as many points as you can. But you know, I don't think it necessarily matters. You've seen great coaches that have never played football that go on and have great careers, and you know, but I was fortunate for my time. I started out of Western Michigan as a as a walk on and as a receiver, and then when I transferred to sag in the Valley, I didn't really know if I was going to play quarterback or receiver, and it just it worked out that way, and I started for three years and we had a lot of fun.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Dan, I got a couple of updates about coach Lafora's time with Omaha Beef on befootball dot com as always before you got.
Speaker 3: Are they still rolling right now? Oh yeah, okay.
Speaker 5: You went into the Hall of Fame in twenty twenty four, the Beef Hall of Fame.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wait a minute.
Speaker 6: I was.
Speaker 2: Around of a blog.
Speaker 4: Probably my proudest accomplishment. And Dan also, if.
Speaker 5: You go to their website you can get custom jerseys, so you could have one made for yourself.
Speaker 4: You know what, maybe my wife can do that for me for my birthday or something Christmas.
Speaker 2: That'd be nice, nice little beef gift there. It's great to see you, Thank you for joining us, and good luck with the draft.
Speaker 3: Who are you taking it? Again? That's a great question.
Speaker 4: A lot of unknowns in this draft, guys, a lot of unknowns.
Speaker 3: So wait there they are right there. It's who are taken?
Speaker 2: I you guys, tell me I don't know you, I don't know. Pick twenty three. You don't normally take a receiver. Now you're going to take a wide receiver.
Speaker 4: What do the fans want? I'm sure, I'm sure they want some wide receivers. Yeah, yeah, I get it. So I go to my kids back basketball events and certainly somebody will just slip me a piece of paper with their pick for us.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, and then you could go, oh, I never thought about that. Thanks, I never would have known that. Man, maybe you get a wide receiver.
Speaker 3: We'll see. Okay, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 2: He is Matt Lafleur, the Packer's head coach. Thanks an thank you coach.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live. This is crazy another draft night love you know, you know we had it all the inside it the probs, they picks. If you missed anything podcasted on your favorite platform or just watch it on YouTube, just search FSR. We are Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: He's Doug Gottlieb, the University of Wisconsin Bay head coach, hosted The Doug Gottlieb Show on Fox Sports Radio as well as We make way for the head coach of.
Speaker 3: The Phoenix.
Speaker 2: Product placement. You got everything that says Wisconsin Green Bay.
Speaker 7: Yes, yeah, that's the job.
Speaker 3: Don't need a wardrobe, you got it?
Speaker 7: I actually don't. That's the weirdest thing.
Speaker 8: It's like, you know, money wise, everybody says how further the dollar goes in Green Bay, Wisconsin.
Speaker 7: Then you throw in that you don't actually ever have to buy clothes.
Speaker 8: You just wear a DSGB gear and you're saving money on a daily basis.
Speaker 2: If I said two years ago you'd be sitting here and we would be talking about your first year as a head basketball coach, you would have said what.
Speaker 7: I would have believed that.
Speaker 8: I'm not sure I would have believed Green Bay or how everything transpired, but yeah, I mean I felt more and more prepared to take this on with every passing because I invested more and more into not just the craft of broadcasting. And you know this from It's no different than a radio show or a TV show or when you're calling games and you've done it.
Speaker 7: There are people that do it and there are.
Speaker 8: People that live it, right, And I felt like I was a guy that really lived it and really kind of invested in, Okay, what's this process actually like? How do you put together as scouting? Import how you and all the things that I had thought I had known as a player and studied some as a broadcaster. I'd gone to a deeper dive of because I just had that burning desire every time a game would be done. Every time you just left with this hollow feeling. There's no win, there's no loss when you're broadcasting games. So as much as there was a lot of pain this year, there's still you're alive if you're feeling that pain and you feel very much alive when you're coaching.
Speaker 2: What did you not expect that happened?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 8: How long's the show? Honestly, the hardest part is at the start I learned it and at the end I learned it. I'm not great at saying no to people I care about, and between when you're hiring people and it's not going to work and you have to not hire somebody, or not offer a scholarship to a player that a dear friend has sworn by, or then at the end when despite the fact that the kid is a great kid, you got a part company because we just have to get better. We still are in the We want to form great men. We want them all to graduate from gb We want to be productive members of society.
Speaker 7: We wanted to have jobs here. We got win some games, and so.
Speaker 8: You know, sometimes those guys shake your hand and walk out the door and put themselves in the transfer portal, and you're legitimately sad you're going to miss them because they're good human beings.
Speaker 7: They filled up your life with good energy.
Speaker 2: You win four games, and I'm curious of you and your radio show, your reputation, how much that impacted, how much criticism you received by just winning four games?
Speaker 8: Oh, I think it was ten to twentyfold what anybody else at our level ever got. We say this around the office, and I say, in recruiting, there's pretty much eleven college basketball teams that people care about. There's the ten best, and then there's us. Right, there's the ten best, and it's it was wild.
Speaker 2: I mean we had But do you think that it felt like ESPN was going out of its ways?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And others and others.
Speaker 8: Yes, but yes, I mean it it was crazy, like yes, like FanDuel was tweeting a wrect like I have no relationship with FanDuel. I've never said anything critical of FanDuel. You know, the companies that we work for work with other companies other than FanDuel, But they were constantly posting like our record on their social.
Speaker 7: Media page, like what is the deal with ESPN.
Speaker 8: I mean, I guess it's it's people defending Adam Schefter for a tweet which was categorically false.
Speaker 7: You know, so yeah, it did.
Speaker 8: It felt personally the tweet, Well, Shafty had tweeted that sach State had fifty million dollars in nil uh and they were going after Mike Vick as their head coach.
Speaker 7: And it's just laughable. It's just laughable.
Speaker 8: And again my point, and I quote tweeted back replied to him, and it was like a nothing, you know, It's like it's one of those things where you tube bad, like come on shifty, like you know, it's like one of those check your sources. But I should have just texted him or DMed him.
Speaker 3: Can you not help yourself in situations like this?
Speaker 7: I'm way better than I used to be.
Speaker 8: Well, way have you ever seen you ever seen the evolution of man poster? He has no the evolution of man poster? Right where you go from like hunched over to where we are now, I'm somewhere in the middle, Dan.
Speaker 2: But you can't help yourself.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 8: When I was at when I left ESPN, that was bad, you know, Like I just you know, that feeling because you've done it, you did it before me where you leave and you fear irrelevance, right because when you're there, you're trained that this is the only.
Speaker 7: Thing that's relevant. This is the only thing I'm in sports that matters.
Speaker 8: Right, So I would say, yeah, I was totally addicted to social media when I left ESPN went to CBS and it definitely ran me a foul there because their perception of how real social media is, how much it matters, I think skews in a direction which is not accurate. I think they think that's like the end all be all. They think the Richard Deitsch's of the world matter, and they don't. Right, So I'm better now. But again, sometimes it's just like he didn't need that one, right, didn't need that one. But the point was that like Sacramento State having fifty million dollars in an ell and never, Hey, my bad, somebody told me something that is And I'm the bad guy for pointing out that everyone in sports that follows Adam Schefter knows that he just cut and pasted a text from somebody connected to the university that's not accurate.
Speaker 7: And it again, this is where you get do you.
Speaker 2: Think any publicity is good publicity.
Speaker 8: Yeah, unless it's like your personal life, your sex life, or some of the stuff that's going on with other people.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about your sex life.
Speaker 7: Let's not.
Speaker 2: Doug Gottlid the University of Wisconsin Green Bay head coach.
Speaker 3: But if you look.
Speaker 7: So, I'm thinking of your word last night and so now it's in my head.
Speaker 3: I'm struggling.
Speaker 8: Don't do that to me, Dad, But you get has a secret word, esay the secret word, and he planted it and everybody and do you guys know what.
Speaker 3: An earworm is?
Speaker 7: The earworm of a song, like I have an earworm of that word, and like, just do not say that. Do not say that.
Speaker 2: You want to keep your jaz Okay, so you keep you know you're going after Lebron or Lebron.
Speaker 3: I didn't go after Lebron. Okay, I never went after.
Speaker 2: You said Lebron's son wouldn't play for years you had guards.
Speaker 3: I did not hold on. I didn't say he could not play no team.
Speaker 8: I didn't think he would start, okay, And yeah, in hindsight, Yay probably would have started, not over Anthony Roy, Like, hey, just see, you know Lebron. Anthony Roy averaged thirty a game. He's leading the country and in effect a field goal percentage. He's a walking bucket. He's an amazing, amazing young player. Okay, so that's my comp My comp was, I don't I never thought that he's a point guard, okay, and you know that the he's not better than Anthony Roy.
Speaker 7: And it was Jeremiah Johnson, who was a top one hundred.
Speaker 8: And fifty kid who's the same age as Bronni and like you're defending your guys as part of it. But yeah, like I thought he would have to compete to start at Green Bay. In hindsight, whuld he started?
Speaker 3: Probably?
Speaker 8: Yeah, he's a good player, Like at the mid major level is where he should have gone. I stand by that he should have gone to Dukuane for a year and play for Lebron's like best friend, gotten his confidence and then if you want to start. This has been such a dog and pony show, and Lebron's gone around the country, you know, chastising Stephen A.
Speaker 7: Smith and tweeting me for.
Speaker 8: No reason because all I've ever done is been honest, Like, sorry, I saw your son play in the Mission League. He was not one of the ten best high school players in that league. He was the best high school league in the country. But he wasn't. I didn't say he stinks. I didn't say he can't play. I never said he can't play at Green Bay. Just the evaluation was completely false. He wasn't a No one was fighting over him to be a second round pick. JJ Reddick saying he earned all of this, Like what are we even talking about? So again, if he develops into an NBA player, great, if this path makes him into something that we didn't see coming, awesome, But like, don't bs us and then chastise us for giving honest basketball opinion, right, I don't think I made it personal. And then he quote to me and here's the here's the.
Speaker 7: Crazy part about it.
Speaker 3: Here's great.
Speaker 7: Did you know I signed Lebron? Did you guys know that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Last night sign we signed Lebron Thomas, who's first team Junior College All American. Right, super talented kid. But you'll love the story. So, in the process of recruiting Lebron, he's at Vincennes Junior College and his parents are in South Carolina. So the day before the dead period where you can't go out and see people. During the Final four, I flew down to South Carolina because, like, if you're going to send your baby to green Bay, Wisconsin to play for me for two years, like you're gonna want to face to face and meet the guy, right. So I go down and I meet his parents and they're lovely, and we're walking out from a restaurant in Columbia and his dad grabs me and he's like, hey, coach, g one more thing.
Speaker 7: What's the deal with Lebron tweeted at you.
Speaker 8: I'm like, oh, is this gonna be a problem. He's like, no, no, no, I think it's great. We'll have Lebron play for you and Lebron tweeting at you. So the point is in the any publicity is good publicity. We use it in recruiting where we're like, hey, if there's one hundred people who are now tweeting and caring about green Bay basketball who never did before and really don't now they just want to tweak us when we're down. If seventy five percent of them eat their words next year, that's seventy five more people than ever cared about green Bay basketball. And my players come to my defense because they know we're doing the best we possibly can buy them and we just fell short too often.
Speaker 3: Do you want to set the over under, PAULI?
Speaker 2: For Wisconsin Green Bay wins next year?
Speaker 3: Let's go they had four.
Speaker 9: I'm going I'm going twelve and a half.
Speaker 3: Twelve and a half.
Speaker 9: That's aggressive.
Speaker 2: Twelve and a hookah.
Speaker 3: How about you? Seaton? I taking the over or under on that? You're going over under?
Speaker 2: I'm a believer.
Speaker 3: I'm going with the over. Dug Okay, I got you.
Speaker 2: Dug probably like thirteen yeah, yeah, like a big believer, but like thirteenth, that's a massive improvement.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Tom, what about you? Yeah? I could see fourteen fourteen wins? Marvin also, yeh, twenty plus anybody I know?
Speaker 7: Dan's going.
Speaker 2: No, he did say that he would double his wind total though, Yeah, yeah, you did guarantee that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we're going games next year. Yeah, We're going We're going games.
Speaker 3: How many games do you think?
Speaker 2: I don't what's the successful Just give me a successful number?
Speaker 7: I I never said that before, So why would I said now? Because I'm asking successful season for us is.
Speaker 8: We want to have a bye in the Horizon League tournament. We want to have a bye one of the that's one of the top five seeds in the horizon.
Speaker 2: By the way, didn't you critique Caitlin Clark's shooting form?
Speaker 3: Yes, o, yes, but see.
Speaker 2: That that's where you're like, no, what do you know?
Speaker 3: No, what do you mean know? No?
Speaker 8: Hold on wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait I could critique her show.
Speaker 7: No no no, no, no, no no no. How many divisions on men's v log.
Speaker 2: If you ever have a shooting car Oh, I have to play now to understand shooting.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: Again, I haven't coached a game, correct, I probably can coach and win four games. Again, yes, I could probably win five.
Speaker 10: Okay, yeah, see just in the in the in the in the sake of fairness, what you are the guy Dan who told Ray.
Speaker 3: Allen he was shooting the ball wrong to his face.
Speaker 2: To his face?
Speaker 3: You did you did say you know you're.
Speaker 7: Doing that wrong?
Speaker 3: First to his face?
Speaker 7: First of all, what was the actual tweet?
Speaker 3: What was actually was?
Speaker 7: It was the tweet she can't.
Speaker 2: Shoot, no, or you talk about her form?
Speaker 8: She was shooting the ball from the less side. Kevin Durant does, and it's a no he does not. The end well not in the end, right Okay, but she wasn't.
Speaker 7: She has.
Speaker 8: She had a little Lonzo ball and she since adjusted it. And the point of the tweet was, it's amazing how much work she's put in to shoot through a shooting flaw. Okay, to shoot through a shooting flaw. Where like Klay Thompson like, that's how you're supposed to shoot a basketball. That looks like the picture of how every person is supposed to the basketball. There's no Reggie Aloisius Miller, you know shot the ball with two hands.
Speaker 3: It's not but he shot through a flaw.
Speaker 8: It actually shows he has greater work ethic and confidence because no matter what how you're supposed to do it, he did it so often and with so much confidence he can make it in.
Speaker 3: Spite of it.
Speaker 8: Okay, but if you watch Caitlin Clark's form, now, take a snapshot of it, take a snapshot of it last year when she was heading into the WNBA. She's changed and fixed her shot. People don't want to hear it because I was a bad shooter in college. My issue was one, I was a HEINZ fifty seven guy, so many people making suggestions that was constantly moving around, and two it became a self confidence thing. But if I couldn't physically shoot a basketball, I've been wouldn't have been recruited by the number of schools that was recruited by The shooting issues didn't stop us from winning.
Speaker 7: And oh yeah, by the.
Speaker 8: Way, they didn't actually occur in terms of fundamental flaws. But look, if my c out there, that's my job.
Speaker 2: Oh it doesn't sho It wasn't.
Speaker 8: As the head coach. That was when I'm just a radio host and basketball analyst. Go check the time stamp on it.
Speaker 3: Give me the time stamp on that. Okay, that was That was.
Speaker 8: That was before I became the head basketball coach at Green Bay, And since I've become the head basketball coach, we talk about the same thing.
Speaker 7: We talked about.
Speaker 8: Do we do we fix a guy's shot and change his form, which you have to strip it back down and then build it back up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think may first, what day did I get the job?
Speaker 2: Dan?
Speaker 3: Thank you?
Speaker 7: So what was my job at the time that I made the tweet?
Speaker 3: Your job was to be a radio host.
Speaker 8: And college basketball analyst? And oh yeah, by the way, like this is the amazing thing about me. Whether I like it or don't like it. The reality is that I do have this unique ability to draw reaction, to draw reaction. You do, Okay, you do, so, okay, I just I stand by my analysis of a shot. Okay, her three point numbers had gone down when she was at Iowa, and they were lower when she was in the WNBA, And by my assessment, it was because she was so good she was getting guard further and further out and she was shooting further and further out. Yet No, but you do know who her boyfriend is, right, Yeah, Connor McCaffrey. Okay, do you know Connor McCaffrey's dad is Okay, you know he recruited me a Notre dame. He's like a second father to me, is a mentor to me. So yeah, like I'm, I'm.
Speaker 3: We're good.
Speaker 8: It's not like Kaitlin Clark's going around. She's not like Lebron James or she's so insecure that she wants to.
Speaker 2: Tweet at me, right that that should help you today.
Speaker 8: Well, it's the reality of it, Like, why are you tweeting about me on your day off?
Speaker 2: Right? He's Doug Gottlieb. He guarantees at least thirteen wins or something like that.
Speaker 3: Hold on, can I I know you got to go on? Yeah?
Speaker 8: Uh, you guys were awesome last night. I mean, let's be honest, Frank was really awesome last night. He carried, He carried the thing. But I truly appreciate not.
Speaker 3: Just she coming to in how to be stocked in to Malone.
Speaker 2: It's it's you should know this when you you assist somebody.
Speaker 3: That's what it was doing.
Speaker 2: You accompanied it was and you said he don't.
Speaker 3: He carried the show. That's worth.
Speaker 7: I was tweaking you the way that you always tweak me.
Speaker 2: He sometimes your words hurt dog. I was working your words hurt dog.
Speaker 3: I was working my way to make fun. I know you shots beautiful.
Speaker 2: Thank you couldn't guard a soul, but I never said I could.
Speaker 3: That's right, you are who you can defend.
Speaker 8: Yes, But I mean, like, first of all, I think you see from the outpouring support from people you know here at the bar to when you're around town. It means a lot to people of Green Bay that you guys brought the show here by the show.
Speaker 7: And it means and.
Speaker 8: You know, Polly and Seaton and I we used to be right next to each other in a cubicle at ESPN, and I mean to go from there to where you guys are here and to still be honestly gracious with your time last night, I truly truly appreciate it. Look, I get it, like the numbers, the record wasn't good. We're gonna win, It's gonna be a lot of fun. But your just support of showing up is awesome, and it's mentorship and friendship.
Speaker 7: I truly appreciate it.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that he's Doug Gottlieb feels like PAULI may have written a little bit of what Doug.
Speaker 3: Just said there.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm proud of myself.
Speaker 3: I was the feeling.
Speaker 2: I mean it had a tinge of sentiment there.
Speaker 7: He was amazing. Is the singing voice he brought down the hot No.
Speaker 2: He can't say Okay, I gotta go, Doug Gottlieb.
Speaker 1: Everybody be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP.
Speaker 2: We did it. We made it to a Friday. Look at this crowd. They were here early this morning. I don't even know if they left Lambeau. I think they went right from the draft right over here, and we're glad to have him. By the way, it's a meat Friday, and yes we have Trager grills here with us. We got wings, flats, only cheese, kurds and brats. Who has it better than we do? No? Alright, I like it. Audience participation. We'll try that again. Who has it better than we do?
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: So Out of the day brought to Bob Pennini America of the official trading cards of the program. Gang's here, Marvin's here, the king of comedy. Fritzie got a rhyme time coming up. Seaton's here, Paulie in the back room, guys, and we want to once again thank Miller Like drafts at the Draft, our friends at Miller like for fifty years, the top pick for beer lovers since nineteen seventy five. It's the original light beer play the day, stat of the day, poll question, all of that forthcoming. We'll talk to Joe Thomas, Hall of Famer at Cleveland Browns. He'll join us coming up in about fifteen minutes. Lewis Riddick was working the draft for the Mothership. He'll stop by a little later on Rick Neuheisel, he'll join us as well on loan from CBE Sports, and maybe he'll bring his guitar to play a song for us eight seven to seven to three DP show. We say good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, thank you downloading the app. It's our streaming partner. A lot of things to dive into. Yesterday, late in the show, I'd gotten word that Jacksonville was going to make a move. I didn't know what the move was going to be, and I thought, if they're trading up, who are they trading up for, or if somebody is going to trade with them and they fall down a little bit in the draft, what's going to happen with Jacksonville. I thought the draft would start with Jacksonville. I guess you can say that the draft did start with Jacksonville because they went up and got the number two pick from the Cleveland Browns and they took Travis Hunter. Apparently they didn't have much contact with Travis Hunter prior to the draft, and I think he was surprised. But I give Jacksonville credit because you do have a quarterback, and now you've got a curiosity. They're a two way player. Your show, heyo, Tani of Ors. I'm still confused here because we had Daniel Jeremiah who worked the draft for NFL Network, and he joined us yesterday and he said it was one hundred percent, one hundred percent the Browns were taking Travis Hunter, and I'm thinking, okay, if they take Travis Hunter, and late in the show, I told you that I didn't think Shador Sanders was going in the first round. I had heard from somebody who said that they didn't think that. A scout said they didn't think that he was going in the first round. Now what I thought was, if he doesn't go in the first round, Cleveland has the first pick today, So you could take Shador Sanders today, You could have taken Travis Hunter yesterday, and then you reunite them. To me, that gives Cleveland some gravitas something umph you. I mean, Joe Flacco's my age and he's quarterbacking the Cleveland Browns. Actually he's a year younger than me.
Speaker 3: Got it.
Speaker 2: But you got Miles Garrett. I mean, what else do you have here? You could have had an identity overnight with Travis Hunter and then Shaudor Sanders and I think Cleveland's probably taking Shador Sanders with that first pick in the second round. So there were a lot of things yesterday and I'm watching the draft, and you would never get the feeling that cam Ward was the number one overall pick because while he's being selected, the Mothership and NFL network went all in on the trade at number two. So cam Ward was an he might be one of those five ten years from now will be like Travis Hunter. Did he go number one? No, he went number two? Who went number one?
Speaker 3: Uh? No, cam War. That's right, cam Warn.
Speaker 2: Because it and it felt like the I guess the best player, most notable player was Travis Hunter. The second most notable player was Shaudor Sanders. Those were the two guys who were talked about the most. Shaudor for not being drafted, got a lot of airtime, and he talked about not being selected in the first round.
Speaker 11: We all didn't expect this, of course, but I feel like with God, anything possible, everything possible. I don't feel that just happened, you know, for no reason. All this is is of course fields to the fire, and under no circumstance. We all know this sin that happened, but we understand we own the bigger and better things. Tomorrow's the day we're gonna be happy in regardless.
Speaker 9: Doesn't there all right?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: Did you see his draft room? He's got legendary like, he's got legendary all over. It's as if that's his wallpaper. It says legendary all over his room, all over everywhere. They got legendary wallpaper there. You know, he got humbled yesterday.
Speaker 3: He did.
Speaker 2: And if you'll go back to when we had Dion on when we were at the Super Bowl, it was like, are you telling teams to not draft your your son?
Speaker 3: And I mean there was a.
Speaker 2: Whole big deal about he's not going to go play for those teams and is he going to pull an Eli Manning?
Speaker 3: But he got humbled.
Speaker 2: Although DraftKings just gave me the odds here, and the team that has the best odds to draft shudor Sanders is the Cleveland Browns. Now the Raiders are second, and then you have the Saints Steelers a distant fourth, tied with the Jets and the Rams.
Speaker 5: There, Yes, Todd, to what extent was that arrogance, brash rumor thing you think a factor in him not going to pick in the first round versus that these teams just.
Speaker 3: Didn't want him in round one? What do you think. I think it did have a little bit of a factor.
Speaker 6: I think there were a few teams that were considering him, and that might have been the deciding factor. If they thought he had some kind of arrogance to him, that he might not be good in the locker room, then just you know what, let's move on to somebody else.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I haven't heard anything.
Speaker 2: I know that, you know, we've had these anonymous gms or you know, scouts who have said that about him. I was just told he didn't have a first round grade late yesterday in the show. Scout said I don't have a first round grade and he didn't waiver off of this. This is also the same person who said that he thinks a lot of the guys who do mock drafts were worried about, in his words, the smoke from not putting Shador Sanders in the first round, getting that smoke from Dion And I think that maybe people put him in there because, well, it's going to drive traffic to your mock draft if you don't have Shador in the first round.
Speaker 3: You know, we're in the entertainment business.
Speaker 2: Now, whether that's true or not, this is from a scout saying that he thinks a lot of the guys who do mock drafts put him in there just out of respect for Dion Sanders.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I said this before on the show. I had him third on my Heisman ballot. I had ash him genty, I had Travis Hunter, and then I had Shador. I thought that much of him. The one thing that kept coming back that I kept hearing was when you play in the NFL, you process so much quicker. And that's going to be a challenge for him and cam Ward and Jack Dart, whoever it is. You know, a lot of these guys play in a system that is really catered to making a lot of plays, completing a lot of passes. Chadoor was taken a lot of punishment. But you know, my friend who's the scout, said he holds onto the ball too long. Caleb Williams held on to the ball too long, and you saw what happened to him in his rookie year. Can Shador play in the NFL? I believe that. Do I think he's a star? I don't, but I had great respect for what he did at Colorado. And if I'm Cleveland and I've got Joe Flacco as my quarterback and Deshaun Watson somewhere in the building, I probably would have gone all in on Travis Hunter. I've got something unique, I've got something that somebody will tune in to watch. We're relevant, You're not. Now you know it's hey, let's tune in to watch Miles Garrett. Okay, you start with a quarterback or a skilled position guy. And if I got Travis Hunter and I take sit door, Sanders all rolled the dice on Shador's the second second day draft pick.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Shadur has that thing where he's a star, but maybe not a star player at that level. Right, he gets the attention, he's got a certain amount of charisma and and all of those things that you want a little.
Speaker 3: Flash for a superstar. Just the question is will it be a star player? Right?
Speaker 2: Well, how many times do we say this, like somebody's famous but we don't know what they're famous for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're famous for being famous?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah. Like Anna Kornikova, the tennis player good poll. Yeah, like she was famous, but she wasn't a great tennis player. So Shadur is the ann I don't know. I don't want to do it sounds like it does it sounds I'm going to retrack that. I don't want it taken out of contest.
Speaker 5: Yes, do you think what happened yesterday is that the Browns were all set and then someone got drunk and overpaid.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't I don't know if they actually got drunk, but they gave up.
Speaker 9: The fifth pick, the thirty six pick.
Speaker 5: Jacksonville they give it one hundred and thirty six pick and a first rounder next year, which should.
Speaker 9: Be in the top fifteen.
Speaker 3: It's a lot.
Speaker 2: If you're doing that, it feels like you're doing that because you're getting somebody who puts you over the top. I thought Jacksonville was going to win their division last year. I don't know if they have a star quarterback. I don't know if they have a franchise quarterback. He gets paid to be a franchise quarterback. But and plus, how am I using Travis Hunter? Can I use him the entire game? Is it going to be more offense than defense? And this is what Daniel Jeremiah said that you had Travis Hunter who was going to major in offense, in minor in defense, and it felt like, by all accounts, he could walk in day one and be a Pro Bowl cornerback and maybe not the same as a wide receiver. Seaton, what's the poll question for the first hour of the program? We might as well start with that story right there? Long term? Who made the better move? Jaguars or Browns?
Speaker 3: M okay, all right, what else do you have? Well?
Speaker 10: I don't know if this one is fair, so I guess I might as well ask it on air. Shador Sanders fell because ability or attitude.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say ability.
Speaker 3: I could also throw in another option there that says his dad. But wow, all of these feels really unfair.
Speaker 2: Probably not getting Dion on today?
Speaker 3: Are we probably on?
Speaker 2: Did you reach out Todd to Dion?
Speaker 5: I had?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, probably not getting him on today. This is I'm waiting for a we're keeping receipts. I'm waiting for that from Dion. Yes, Paul, I.
Speaker 5: Can't remember a draft in the last ten years where the analysts were so different. Mel Kiper was pounding the table literally, going, this is a huge mistake by about six or seven teams. A couple of like serious analysts last night on the two different networks, we're saying, I have Shador as my top three picks overall, top quarterback.
Speaker 9: Hands down.
Speaker 5: He's risk free, he's a competitor, you know that. Don't worry about measurables. It's it's drastically different the opinions.
Speaker 2: That's what amazes me. And then to have somebody who I trust say that he didn't have a first round grade for Shador. You're watching the same player play in the same games against the same competition that everybody else is. But you come away and I always use it as when you go into a museum and you go look at that, and then somebody will.
Speaker 3: Say what is that?
Speaker 2: Or wow, look like if you've ever looked at a Jackson Paullock painting, and then you go, who spilled all this paint? Or it's man, that's a genius there, or a roth go where you go that couple of million dollars, you know, So that kind of the way you look at sometimes these quarterbacks. Ashton Genty, I think we attached him to the Raiders a couple of months ago. I like what they're doing, but you got to keep pace in the West Kansas City's good. Chargers got another running back. You know they're gonna be good. Denver was a playoff team. I like what the Raiders did. We said this with Pete Carroll. Pete Carroll's not there to build the Raiders. He's there to win with the Raiders. And that's why you get Gino, who can play. He's a good quarterback. I got Brock Bowers, who's awesome. Now I get a great running back, and I got Max Crosby.
Speaker 3: I at least have something.
Speaker 2: I always look at some of these teams and you go, you know, coming up on Sunday night football, and then all of a sudden, you know, you go to the Steelers and it's Cam Hayward and you go, oh, that's not a good thing. You have to have somebody that you go, oh, yeah, we're going to tune in and watch that guy.
Speaker 3: Well, the Raiders have those guys. Yeah.
Speaker 10: When you look at Travis Hunter, right, I keep seeing a lot of the question marks about him as a cornerback. Everybody seems to be like he's polished, he's ready to go. There seems to be way more questions of him as a wide receiver. But that almost all of the like you were just saying about Daniels Ermia. It's like, well, he's going to major in offense and minor and defense. Doesn't that feel reversed?
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I was surprised at that because I think he just and also, but look at the pay if you look at what receivers get and what dbs get. I mean, if I'm if I'm Travis Hunter, I'm going I think I'd like to play offense. I think they pay a little bit or over there. But he's a unicorn here. Is he going to get the Is he going to get numbers as a wide receiver if he's splitting time? And Drew Brees said this yesterday. He's like, I don't want my star receiver playing defense. I don't want that. Like the odds of getting injured. Everybody gets injured if I add an extra forty plays, so I've already increased the odds that my star player is going to eventually get hurt.
Speaker 10: Yes, there's always that old saying that I heard once about or many times about if you have two quarterbacks, you don't have one. Kind of feel the same way about that about Travis Hunt. If you have two positions, then you probably don't have one which is the one that you're going to be great at, and then if you're going to start doing the other one, it's taking away from how good you could be at the other.
Speaker 2: Do you think the Cleveland Browns made a good decision yesterday?
Speaker 3: I feel like maybe, so you're on the clock.
Speaker 2: Cam Ward's gone. Now you're on the clock. Jacksonville calls and says, here you go. How would you have done?
Speaker 3: I think that by taking him you win the day. But I don't know that. I feel like it's a little bit of a trap. Okay, I do. I feel like it's a little I think he's a great kid. I hope he does really really well.
Speaker 10: I feel like it's a little bit of a trap because he's he's very clear about I'm playing both positions here, and almost everybody universally is like, but you can't.
Speaker 2: Marvin, you're on the clock.
Speaker 3: If I'm Cleveland, I'm keeping my pick.
Speaker 2: So you're gonna you're gonna keep Travis Hunter. I am okay, Todd, you're on the clonk taking Travis Hunter.
Speaker 9: Paul, I'm trading. I don't want to be micromanaged and.
Speaker 5: Critiqued by how I use this player both sides of the ball. If you have an offensive set where he's not on the field for some reason and you thrown in completion, what are you doing?
Speaker 3: What are you doing? Every week?
Speaker 2: But I want to be talked about Cleveland's not gonna be talked about.
Speaker 3: You're not relevant.
Speaker 5: It's close with me, Like I if you take him man his first five years, he's probably gonna be awesome and play both ways.
Speaker 9: But my bet is in five years he's at one position.
Speaker 2: All I need him is for five years, yes, king contract, Like I need to be relevant. I gotta get out from underneath Deshaun Watson's deal. We eventually find our quarterback. I would have had Travis, I would have had Shudor And now all of a sudden we are relevant.
Speaker 10: Yeah see, but you also have to give him time to get up to speed. Right, so you're gonna have to survive that first half of the season. Say where it's like, all right, is this working or isn't it right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you're not making the playoff, so you do have that leeway. It's like, okay, so what but people will tune in to watch the Browns, Yes, Martin.
Speaker 6: All right, So if he's just great at one position in margin with the other. Is he considered a bust because the thing about him was he's a unicorn he plays both sides of the ball.
Speaker 2: Well, Otani's not a great pitcher. He's a good pitcher. If he doesn't pitch again, nobody's going to say he's a bust.
Speaker 5: Yeah, pol I think the cop to Otani is exact. It's not even like forced. When Otani decided to come to American and play MLB, he told teams, I'm playing both ways. A number of teams passed on him. They passed, and one of the teams that said, will embrace it because the Angels needed relevancy and needed star power, and they said, yes, did they keep him? No, But they're one of the few teams that said, you can play both ways for us.
Speaker 10: Yes, Baseball as well also one of those games that you can go innings without having to do anything. You know, you might not see a single ball at right field, and you might not bat for this inning, next inning and the whatever, and so you actually do nothing. Playing both ways in baseball, or doing both positions is way easier than in the NFL.
Speaker 3: All right,