Speaker 1: Lots to Say with Bobby Bones and Matt Castle is a production of the NFL and iHeart podcasts.
Speaker 2: We Got Lots.
Speaker 3: Just we got lots.
Speaker 4: Were here and we hope you say because we got lost.
Speaker 5: Just say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we got lots.
Speaker 6: Just say.
Speaker 3: Here's Bobby that hey welcome. You know, sometimes you just go too hard and our guy here just went too hard.
Speaker 7: I didn't. Yeah, I think Vegas caught up Tony from last week.
Speaker 3: Vegas always catches up with everybody, and it's a mix because you get out there in that heat and those sand allergies what I call them so dry. It just kills you.
Speaker 8: And my lips were so chapped, and it's almost embarrassing because you guys sit.
Speaker 7: Down and talk to people and you're going like this, You're like, don't like your lips again, don't like.
Speaker 3: And it also feels weird to put on chapstake, Like I don't claim to be the most mass skilling guy ever.
Speaker 7: I am not.
Speaker 3: However, putting on chapstick feels like I'm putting on lipstick. It does, and if I do it, I try to do it when no one's looking at me, and so yeah, well.
Speaker 7: You know what you look good. Yeah, I feel fine. No, I don't. I feel awful.
Speaker 8: I've been up coughing all night, trying to get the demons out, as I like to say. But at the same time, you know, you know what's better than chapstick? And I tried this just because it was the only thing that I found in my wife's saying lip bomb.
Speaker 7: They've got like that glossy.
Speaker 3: Lip bomb that you mightst say, tampons, Well, never tried one of those.
Speaker 7: I thought that would have been interesting.
Speaker 3: I've had a yes many times. Yeah, And the kind that works are the because you have to like break the stick. Yes, you got to get the phone out, the foam up there. Yeah, I've done that a few times. Okay, look we're here.
Speaker 7: We sure are.
Speaker 3: Not only that you came back from Vegas went right to training camp.
Speaker 7: Yep.
Speaker 3: So we're outside sweating our face off there.
Speaker 7: Man, it was hot out there, wasn't it was.
Speaker 3: It was brutal, and so we're going to actually go back and play some of the cool off. We did a training camp first, we'll do us sitting with Ian Rapp, report of the rap Sheet of NFL Network, really one of my favorite insiders, and so let's start with us. I would say backstage, but I guess it's not really a stage.
Speaker 7: That was not a stage that was a mini like Janitor's classm.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, we're like underneath the stadium because it was so loud on the stadium. This is us with Ian Rapport. I feel like if I were to watch Cosso paint, that'd be pretty cool. I'm watching Ian Rapport tweet right now.
Speaker 9: I know it is it is too.
Speaker 10: Yes, finish your tweet, because you know we see it from the other side.
Speaker 9: We see it from the other side, and we're always.
Speaker 11: Be tweeting it. I'm just I'm just getting ready prepared because you know, you get the ghost sign and you got to be ready to hit the sends. I'm getting ready, so you guys can talk and I'll keep typing.
Speaker 7: You're seeing a professor at work.
Speaker 3: We are at Titans camp today, so if you're watching this, one of the bowels of the stadium. We thought we'd be on the football field, but they wouldn't turn the music off, which I guess a little a little much for us to ask to turning music down.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and it.
Speaker 6: Also was family day, so everybody's out there. You got kids running around. It's a little bit chaotic. So yeah, we're back here.
Speaker 3: I would like for you to tell the story because we were out and I'd asked you if you'd ever held before, meaning uh, on field on special team?
Speaker 10: Yeah, and you had, you have a history of holding. Did you ever do it in high school?
Speaker 8: Though? No?
Speaker 6: I actually kicked Pat's in high school, no way, And I punted, believe it or not.
Speaker 10: And you played quarterback and safety. Did you ever play d for you?
Speaker 7: Did?
Speaker 9: I was you knows?
Speaker 10: Never came off firstatile in college? Did you ever hold?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 9: College, I was always the backup holder.
Speaker 6: I didn't have to, But I actually didn't have to hold because I actually was on a special team's unit. I played on kickoff and kickoff return my junior year. So myself in linear battled out long story short. Midway through that season, Lineard's doing pretty well, you know, heading up the Heisman Trophy race and all that stuff, and so we had some injuries. They switched me to tight end. Well they when you switch a tight end, you don't just play tight end. You are on all the special teams units. So I'm on special teams kickoff, I'm in the wedge on the return team and just getting.
Speaker 11: So listeners are like, what's the wedge.
Speaker 6: The wedge is like when you you're the last line of defense before you actually get to the returner. So that means everybody that from that kickoff line coming at you gets the full head of steam because nobody touches them by the time they.
Speaker 9: Reach you, and you just get blown up.
Speaker 10: You're sacrificial wedge buster, sacrificial lee.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 6: It was brutal, but in terms of holding, it was my second year in New England. Josh Miller goes down. He's our punter who's also our primary holder. He gets his shoulder hurt. I'm thrown into holding. Well, this is during like now our playoff runt our. First game right before playoffs was in Jacksonville. It's downpour. I just put the ball down, laces toward the kicker, Steven Goaskowski kicks it in laces in, No laces out right, O, no laces in laces in so like it was a hunter. Yeah, and I've worked it, but look when it's storming, you know, you just to do what you gotta do.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 6: I ended up holding throughout the playoffs, go all the way through the AFC championship against the Colts, and that year was a year that Romo mess and fubbed up that one in.
Speaker 9: Set lost the playoff game.
Speaker 6: So that's in the back of my mind the entire time during playoffs, just more more stressful than even playing quarterback.
Speaker 11: Well here here's what's interesting to me. So like holder is a great job because you really don't have to do anything. Like you do it enough. It's probably pretty easy. You get to have like the celebratory handshake or headbutt with the kicker. Oh yeah, maybe they jump into your arms like there's some great moments. But on the off chance, you you know, Romo it like, that's bad. So I feel like risk reward, that's worth it to do it, but not a slam dunk it is.
Speaker 6: Luckily it was an opener, and I actually they started a year off the next year with me as the holder. First one exactly what you're saying. Came in hot Lonnie Paxson had through a heavy ball and I fumbled it. I yell, so you yell fire right. It was a release, So I'm trying to run outside the pocket. I get absolutely lambasted. Like coaches like what happened. I was like I think it was a little low. They watched the film. It's like hitting me right there.
Speaker 9: He's like, you're out.
Speaker 10: I was like, yes, I have a buddy who was a deep snapper.
Speaker 3: And two years ago the Cowboys picked Hm up last minute and so he goes in I like three days notice, and so we're excited because he's the guy. And first snap right over the head, first snap, The risk was much heavier than the award on that.
Speaker 10: To no, he stayed next and had a good season.
Speaker 9: Oh good for him.
Speaker 3: They had to have a deep snapper, so I guess, you know, you kind of don't go to three or four after that.
Speaker 6: I mean, but that is a tough position, man, because you only get noticed as if you mess up. If you just do your job the normal way, nobody's ever going to say anything to you. It's you're not gonna get any of the limelight unless you kick the game winning field goal. But the long snapper's not for the sequencing before that, right, it's just the kicker that's going to get the glory.
Speaker 10: And thanks for coming by.
Speaker 11: How many of these do you see you?
Speaker 9: Sorry?
Speaker 11: I thought you were saying goodbye.
Speaker 10: You know, it's been fine.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 10: For the time. How many of these camps do you do?
Speaker 11: I think it'll be like sixteen.
Speaker 10: And do you stay on the road.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like an artist. You're like a like a rock artist, not even like a country artist. Or if like I'm touring, if I'm doing stand up, I come home during the week and I do Thursday, Friday, Saturday.
Speaker 11: No, it's it's I got my suitcase over there. I got like six changes of clothes. I will I got some washer sheets if you got to wash something in the sink, but you try to find like a washing fold where you can go, like stop by before practice, wash all your stuff, pick them up after practice, go right. I go from here, I'm going right to the airport. Like that's what it's like.
Speaker 10: You're like Green Day and ninety five touring.
Speaker 11: Just create out the talent, just out the talent.
Speaker 10: Well, let's talk about a couple of things here.
Speaker 3: Cam Ord I had mentioned earlier the expectation the last couple of years has changed with rookie quarterbacks because.
Speaker 10: We saw c. J.
Speaker 3: Stroud do it, we saw Jade and Daniels do it, but again they had pretty good supporting casts.
Speaker 10: What is the ceiling for cam ord this year.
Speaker 11: You know, I look at this place and I look at the Commanders last year, and I think the Commanders probably were a little more stable and had a little more talent than this team, but like not not significant, you know, like in the ballpark, and maybe you have some players who play a little better than are being expected, so maybe the talent is somewhat similar, like if Jade Daniels can come in and lead that team to the playoffs. Then considering the expectations of cam Wood, considering what I've heard today talking to coaches, players, people who are around them all the time, executives, like you know, the expectations are really high, and they have been more than pleased with what they've seen. Like you know, this team will have the chance to win some games, will it. I don't know. Commanders needed a bunch of help too, needed a hell Mary and a lot of stuff. But like, I don't like, I'd be surprised if this team is at least not a lot better than last year.
Speaker 9: As a number one pick in the draft.
Speaker 6: With when you think about Cam wod, is he the least talked about number one draft pick.
Speaker 11: That he's boring?
Speaker 6: Yeah, in recent history, like there's not not any excitement or on a movie in the city there is, but everybody.
Speaker 7: Nobody talks about cam Morton.
Speaker 11: I get it. I covered him extensively in the draft. I had a lot of conversations about cam Ward, and when it came time to really report on him, there wasn't a ton to say. It's a great kid who's raised right it she met his dad out here on the field, he works incredibly hard. He's a great student, He's really smart. He's kind of cold blooded on the field. Teammates love him. He wakes up early, he stays late. He organized his own meetings. Like there's not like a lot of discussion that he had, Like what's to talk about?
Speaker 7: Yeah, we need him to do something bad.
Speaker 3: The only thing that made the news was him being on a live stream talking about how really was like his favorite receiver of all time. Like he was even saying the things right while he was on a live stream.
Speaker 11: And like knowing that now, like that makes sense, Like nothing is by accident, everything is calculated. He has seems to have incredible awareness on the field. You knew you could see it today. There's a couple of plays you're like, oh boy, and then off the field obviously too, so like that's some good awareness. That's like, that's real stuff.
Speaker 3: Let's do five questions with the end. We'll just rotate. I'll go first. Aaron Rodgers. I watched him throw today just on Twitter. What's the ceiling for Pittsburgh this year?
Speaker 11: I mean, if Rogers is the same Aaron Rodgers he was at the end of last year for the Jets, they could be really good. Now. Like you know, older quarterbacks, you get lower leg injuries, Like those things don't go away. So like if he tweaks an anko or hurts a hamstring or a calf, like you know, he's old, He's like us. He's old, so you know, those things take a while to heal. But if he's healthy, they could be as good as they could be good. I mean, because that defense is good. They got some weapons, like they could be good.
Speaker 6: Expectations for Ben Johnson his first year with Chicago and Caleb Williams going into his second season.
Speaker 11: I mean, for Caleb Williams, it is going to be a challenge, like he is going to be coached very hard. I think he wants it, which a lot of people can say, but you know, you don't you've been coached hard, Like it's not the most fun thing of all the time.
Speaker 9: You don't sometimes want to hear it.
Speaker 11: Right, So that's what it's going to be. Like, I think they'll be better, you know, could they be a playoff team?
Speaker 12: Like?
Speaker 11: I think they could, but it's gonna be a challenge.
Speaker 3: Dallas Cowboys. Jerry Jones does this thing mostly preseason. He's talking a lot. It's not just after games, He's talking pretty much every day. He says he thought about for a second and not being the general manager. There's no chance of that happening while he's alive, right, No.
Speaker 11: Nope, I mean he bought the team to be the GM. Now. It's funny you say that though, because like they're an incredibly well run football team. They really are, Like Stephen Jones and Will McLay have done an incredible job of drafting, developing, setting it infrastructure, having a place where players can come in and contribute to media. Like, I know, last year was bad. Coaching wise, last year was not good. They're a very well run organization. So like do they take extra time to do contracts? Like, yeah, they do, But otherwise, like I think they're I think Jerry being the GM or not, They've actually done a pretty nice job for the Patriots.
Speaker 6: Mike Rabel, is this a team that could potentially push to get a wild card spot or push into the playoffs this year?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I would think so, because like the best thing Vrabel's gonna do is he's gonna make sure, like the bottom thirty guys are better. They're all gonna get a little bit better. They're gonna work a little harder, they can know what they're doing. They're all gonna get.
Speaker 3: A little bit better.
Speaker 11: And like that's how you that's how you have a good special teams. That's how you have good depth. So like in November, when the fifth linebacker's playing like he's gonna know what he's doing, you know. So, like I think they'll be a little bit better, and the quarterback could be really good, like really good. So that's you know, they should be like competing for a playoff spot and then when it comes down to it, we'll see if they get.
Speaker 7: It or not.
Speaker 3: Last question, most most years is a team that doesn't make the playoffs that ends up doing really well. Who's that team this year that's probably gonna jump?
Speaker 11: You know, the Raiders. I think have a chance. They got a quarterback now who's who's good is more than good. And I think Pete Carroll, you know, based on the way he'll help the culture there and you know the way he'll kind of just get him going in the right direction with a little bit of optimism and excitement. I mean, I think they have a chance to be much better than last year.
Speaker 10: And appreciate the time. Another shirt to watching the scene. Yes they're fans.
Speaker 11: Thank you, Thank you guys.
Speaker 3: All right after we finished with the end. We were lucky enough that Tony Pollard came by. Antony Pollard had his first year with Titans. Last year before that was the Dallas Cowboys, split some time with Zeke you know, not big of a dude.
Speaker 8: It wasn't that big a deal, dude, But what a cool story, right, Yeah, because the story about him going being recruited to college as a wide receiver and making that trendes into running back his junior year in college and then going to the Dallas Cowboys backing up Ezekiel Elliott, getting some time and just working his way into being the number one guy, and then finally coming to the Tennessee Titans. Really cool story and really good player gives hope to a guy like me. I can still make it.
Speaker 7: You can still make it.
Speaker 3: Like when I say not big, mostly I just mean like not he's not super tall, but he's definitely you would see him and think that's an athlete in something.
Speaker 7: But I don't know.
Speaker 3: Running backs now have to take so much abuse that I expected. I guess another forty pounds on just any generic NFL running.
Speaker 8: Back, right, But I think that part of his game too is he's making people miss.
Speaker 3: And why I can do it.
Speaker 7: I think he's making people miss.
Speaker 8: He's got value in the past game because he obviously can be a guy that comes out of the backfield, catches the and get.
Speaker 7: You yardage there.
Speaker 8: But he's also one of those guys the last two seasons head over a thousand yards, so he's proven that he can run inside the tackles.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 3: Here he is. I actually loved hanging out with him. Here is Tony Pollard. What happens out there today a day like today, because you guys didn't have pads on, but it looked like you were making a little bit of contact, Like what's the stop rule?
Speaker 13: I mean today is pretty much how we've been doing it at the facility of practicing. You know, we're not in past yet, so it's just it's pretty much like a light tap off. You know, we had the spiders on that were kind of padded, so yeah, just just running, trying to get yourself a position and then tag off on help if you can, and.
Speaker 9: Then just let the guy run by.
Speaker 6: When you go through these practices, like you said, you're in shells and doing all this stuff, when do you really finally start to feel that contact.
Speaker 9: Is it not until week one or you know, preseason.
Speaker 6: Obviously you get a little bit of that, but it's a different scenario when somebody's actually trying to tackle you.
Speaker 13: I would say, count, you know, count. Once we get into pasts, that's when you know we're really playing football. Like today, it's really hard to you know, just to run the ball on the day like today without pass everybody slippery, sweaty. But once we get in camp, you know, once we get to traveling, you know, playing other teams scrimmage and other teams like that, that's when we're really getting into playing football.
Speaker 10: Getting ready for the year.
Speaker 3: When do you start training hard and then do you taper off before you get started again? Like what is preparation like before the year starts.
Speaker 13: I mean, after the season, it's probably best to take a few weeks off, probably take like a month off, you know, just let your body recover from whatever injuries you were dealing with, and uh, once you're feeling healthy to get back to it, get back to working out. Then you got OTAs, you got mini camp. Then after that you get a month. So I would say like during that month, you probably take like a week off, week and a half, and then you're back to it getting to the ground. So when you come in for camp, you know you want to hit the.
Speaker 10: Ground rolling, Like what do you do for your body?
Speaker 7: Red light?
Speaker 3: You're doing?
Speaker 10: Cry out, Like what is it? That's what I want to do, and you're trying to steal yourself.
Speaker 13: Actually, I'm a I'm an old school type of guy. Like I love cold hot tub, you know, I love doing contrast, you know, getting in their treatment. You know, I've I've been doing a lot of prehab, you know, not waiting until I get an injury, you know, just just working things before, you know, doing ankle mobility things like that, you know, just working little things. You know, I'm big on the cold, hot tub. I feel like that's the biggest.
Speaker 7: Thing for me.
Speaker 6: You've got a new offense coordinator, Nick Holts. How much does this offensive scheme change from what you guys are doing last year?
Speaker 13: Honestly, it hasn't changed much, just just certain ways that you know, we want to just do what we're good at. You know, we're gonna run a lot of play action, you know, with the quarterback that we have, you know, cam Ward, a guy that is able to you know, get the ball all around the field, make all types of plays that you know aren't called in the playbook. So, you know, just trying to not do too much different, but just just stick to what we're good at and mastered.
Speaker 10: You have Cartoon Network totch you on your knee?
Speaker 7: Is that that?
Speaker 8: This is?
Speaker 3: I see?
Speaker 13: I do it was It's pretty much like a legs leave of everything I used to watch growing up.
Speaker 10: What what else do you have? I see Cartoon Network.
Speaker 9: I got Dragon ball Z. I got Tom and Jerry.
Speaker 13: Don't go up, John, that's awesome, dude, I got the Ruts Scooby Doo on the back.
Speaker 10: What was the first one?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 10: What started that?
Speaker 9: Actually?
Speaker 13: It was it was I got it when I was in Dallas, and uh, that was like, you know, it was a big thing going around with guys. We're getting you know, the big tattoos and you know, getting put down so they could just get it all done.
Speaker 9: Andy want. So that was kind of how.
Speaker 10: Wait did you go to they put you down?
Speaker 9: Like they put you to sleep? I was gonna ask you what was paint for one or there?
Speaker 7: You even know?
Speaker 3: I woke They did all that in one Wow.
Speaker 10: How long were you asleep?
Speaker 9: Eighteen hours?
Speaker 13: Yeah, something like that, about about twelve wow, twelve fourteen hours?
Speaker 3: And then you could you take a shower for like a week after that? It was a wrapped in cellophane because I have something I showered.
Speaker 13: It just was like a yeah, just let the water run on the David to I.
Speaker 6: Love watching you play cause I think you're one of these dynamic backs that not just can do it as a runner, but you take a lot of pride in the past game.
Speaker 9: And I saw that.
Speaker 6: You grew up and you actually went to college as a receiver, right, and you made that transition to running back your junior year. Yeah, talk to me about that and was that a tough transition or is that just something because of your experience in the return game and carrying the ball, that that was an easy transition for you.
Speaker 9: It wasn't tough at all.
Speaker 13: I grew up my whole life playing running back, you know, so running back is pretty much it's second nature to me. You know, it's natural for me. It was my twelfth grade year in high school. That's when I went to receiver, my first time playing receiver. Then when I got to college. When I came to college, I was I was playing receiver. My first coach was justin for wine my red search year, and then he left. And then that next year, coach Mike Norvel came in and he moved me back to running back. And then I would meet with the running backs, you know in the meeting rooms and things like that.
Speaker 9: But once we got the practice and we did like one on.
Speaker 13: One one as I would go down with the receivers and do it all the one on ones with the receivers, and like, depending on the weeks, I switch. Sometimes I go through the you know, the box reels, you know, do the inside run down there with the running back, O line, D line.
Speaker 9: Sometimes I go through the one on ones with the receivers and.
Speaker 3: Wow, last question, you had three thousand yard seasons in a row. When you look at goals, is a yardage game based? Yardage season based? Like what are goals for you?
Speaker 13: I want to get better every year, no numbers wise, you know, just trying to up the numbers every year. You know, I'm I don't feel like I'm on the dcline, you know, honestly, I feel like I came in like I didn't. I wasn't the normal back that you know, get the normal wear and tear to get their body beat up my first few years, so I had a chance to you know, sit behind a great back, but also get a good amount of experience and you know, get a feel for the game without just getting my body into a beat up. So now I'm at the point of where, you know, I feel like I'm I'm my prime when I'm ready to keep people.
Speaker 10: I'm trying to appreciate everything the time I.
Speaker 9: Appreciated man, Thank you, You'll get.
Speaker 3: Next up. We talked with Special Teams coordinator Coach Fossil aka bones as they call them, which makes sense because the fossil is the bone.
Speaker 8: Yes, it does make sense, and he does look like a lot of skin and bones.
Speaker 3: He does, but he's very tall.
Speaker 7: He is tall, isn't he?
Speaker 3: And his dad is.
Speaker 7: Who Jim Fossil?
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Did you know that Kevin?
Speaker 10: I did just because the research I did.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm glad that you do your research.
Speaker 3: His dad is coach Jim Fossil, so here. He is the special teams coordinator for the Titans.
Speaker 6: Coach Fossil so regarded by many as one of the best special teams, if not the best special team coach in the entire NFL. Coach John Fossil, thank you for being with us today on the Bobby Bone Show.
Speaker 9: How was it out there, Bobby Bones back Castle?
Speaker 12: Lots of same Yeah, Hey, anything for a Bones yeah and other bones.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Talk to me about So you got here, and obviously special teams was an issue for this team and you probably went and evaluated what's some of the main things that you're focused on this year with your units?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Great, call, mat.
Speaker 12: I mean, you know, so I got hot in January and I was a new guy, so in OTA's you know, I'm introducing and acclimating myself to the guys that we're already here. And I watched the little tape and you know, last year. I knew some things that happened, the good and the not so good. But what I've tried to just really work hard on so far in OTA's and training camp is just honestly the base fundamentals pump protection, block destruction, blocking, penalty free, trying to create a super competitive environment where the goal is just make sure, fellows, we're winning or one on ones, and here's the tools to do that. And if we all do that, then we're gonna have good plays.
Speaker 2: But that's what it is.
Speaker 3: Are you ever in the head coach's ear when he's debating on what going for that sixty four yarkfield goal?
Speaker 10: Like, I know we got this coach, I know, Like, are you a part of that?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 12: Yeah, So the last couple of years in Dallas, you know, we had a couple of strong lady kickers, especially the last two years, and you know, we always come out pregame and say, hey, are yard line is the forty or the forty one, forty two? We gotta get to that yard line for the field goal, and then you know it's fourth down or on the forty four yard line and I'm like, let's kick a field goal, and they're like that's not the why we agreed to, you know, and then we kick it remake and I'm like, yeah, so it's talked about before, but in game there's always a little bit of adjustment. And I always like to keep the field goals for points, you know, knowing the cost of a miss, but still trying to worry about that. Just look at three points on the board and big plays and you know, big field goals are a great momentum us when the sideline sets, your kicker knock it in from sixty three.
Speaker 2: Like it's a big play.
Speaker 6: You've been coaching for a really long time, obviously, there's been a lot of rule changes that have taken place over your time coaching. Probably the most significant recently is the kickoff. Or have you been in favor of that? Is that something that you like or is it just something that you think that the game has evolved?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I love it, And yeah before it went in about a year two before it went in, when the XFL started running it and we were kind of like, you know, put the fair catch in on kick return.
Speaker 2: We didn't like that.
Speaker 12: So there's a kind of a small committee special teams coaches that we're kind of talking with the NFL about well, what can we do to make the play safer and better? And so we thought we had a good model with the XFL used and we kind of tweaked it to make it our own.
Speaker 2: But I love it for multiple reasons.
Speaker 12: I think it's a better play, and it's definitely a safer play. It's a lot better play to practice because you don't have the length of running the high speeder running, and the collisions are a little bit lower because it's just immediate five yard combat, so.
Speaker 2: It just gets right to the action a lot faster.
Speaker 12: I think the players love it, and as a coach, I'm a huge fan of it because it's gonna put the ball and play a little bit more and it's just it's just action right now. So it's going to be really healthy for the league as I think everybody kind of grows on it.
Speaker 3: Do you look for different players now, different types of players to actually be on let's take the kickoff unit, because earlier Matt was talking about being in the wedge.
Speaker 10: In college, you had to be in the wedge.
Speaker 2: And there was a wedge buster, which you put me in the wedge.
Speaker 10: But there's no wedge now, right like you're looking for, you would not be a wedge guy, but.
Speaker 6: Thank you coach Carrol put in the wedge. And I was on kickoff at like number three in my junior area and I was like, what, coach, are you evaluating evaluating me wrong?
Speaker 9: I don't I don't understand.
Speaker 2: That'd be just practice. I'm sure you any the.
Speaker 3: Same kind of maniacs running down or are you looking for a different type of player?
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, that's a great question.
Speaker 12: And we thought that putting this new kickoff in you would need a little different body type, whether it's the bigger, longer pass rusher type body that might be kind of does away with maybe the smaller, faster penetrator. But as we found out over this past year, it still applies for everybody. And so you're still at the mercy of the forty eight guys you dress on game day, but the same body types that were in the old kickoff and kickoff return you still use them equally the same because there's still strength and weaknesses. There's there's still room for the penetrators, uh, and there's definitely still room for the big guys that they don't have to run maybe like they used to. So It's been a really cool evolution over one year to kind of think of what we thought was going to be good, and then after a year's worth of doing it, like what, it's not exactly what we thought. This is a little bit better, a little bit of a change. So long answer to a simple question is it's built for every body type and every player if they got the mindset and kind of a little bit of that reckless attitude.
Speaker 2: With a little bit of technique involved.
Speaker 6: You Can you talk about the mindset of these guys on special teams because I played with some great ones Matthew Slater, Larry Is of some of these guys that were.
Speaker 9: Lifetime special teams. That's how they made their money.
Speaker 6: But it takes a particular mindset and human to run down a field full blast, put their body in harm's way every single time. Can you talk about how you teach that or do you have to find that in those guys and how how do you go to the head coach and said, we got to keep this guy. Yeah, because the value that he adds will be on special teams, but that's going to be very valuable going down the road.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's awesome, So of course I coach special teams. I'm super biased, but I just love and have such a respect for guys that come in and really embrace the role of being on special teams, mostly young guys, undrafted guys, you know, middle to the late round picks, and just how can I carve out a role on the football team, and of course the avenues through special teams. But we watch a lot of tape on the best players. You know, we watched Chery McMahons, guys don't know about Matt Slater, Cody Davis, Jayden Reeves made you know a lot of guys that are still active or former. And when you watch the best guys, they're not the fastest, they're not the biggest, they're not the strongest, they're just absolutely relentless.
Speaker 2: Like Matt Slater.
Speaker 12: He was fast, he was agile, he was strong, but probably not any of those things. But his motor and his relentlessness was so different.
Speaker 2: Like how do you stop that?
Speaker 12: And so sometimes that just comes to you and sometimes that can be developed, you know, through through some tools and some confidence. So love the guys that love the game and they come in all shapes and sizes.
Speaker 3: Final question, who are the more interesting kickers you've worked with interesting, Like you.
Speaker 7: Know, I'm only yea is.
Speaker 3: I feel like even the ones I've got to know even in college, like at times they're set, they separate themselves because they need to be separated.
Speaker 10: Who are the more interesting beers he worked with.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you asked that.
Speaker 12: I've been really lucky to be with some great kickers. Probably the most interesting in all great ways with Sebastian Janakowski. I was with him for four years and when I got there, he might have been like his eighth year, so he was already established. But he wasn't, you know, probably even halfway through his career. And I learned a ton from him, you know, he he was super passionate. He was a very big guy, but loved the weight room, in the fitness. He didn't overthink anything, and that was really I came from Baltimore, was messed over for a couple of years, but Sebastian really taught me a lot, to be honest with you. And then when you know, I went to the Rams, it was Greg Zerlin and then you know, Brandon Aubrey and some great kickers and now Joey Slide. But Sebastian, maybe just because it was one of the first ones I was really around and I was a coordinator for was just a very interesting man in a lot of great ways, and a great football player and one of the best teammates I've been around.
Speaker 2: So shout out to see Bass. He's an all the timer.
Speaker 6: Can I just followed with that, You know, when you're dealing with your place kicker and you're you're a kicker that's going to win you ballgames, how delicate is that situation? Like do you have to learn that personality of when to push? And also because it's such a mental game, it's like, you know, somebody that's golf standover putt, you either get the yips or whatever, and then all of a sudden it goes downhill. How do you how do you go about navigating that relationship with some of those guys.
Speaker 12: Yeah, now that's cool. I think it's built off of trust for sure. And that's a that's a great question and a hard answer because if it's a younger guy, I think they need some reassurance and some confidence building. Hey, come on, man, you know, pick it back up. Some of the veteran guys, they don't need to be talked too too much. And sometimes the more you say, the worst it would be, you know, because they know what they did wrong and they don't need to hear about it and over analyze what happened. But there is there is a balance of the mental part for a kicker. Like when we had Brandon Aubrey first year in Dallas two years ago, his very first kick of his career, he chanks the pat like geez, you know, So he said, hey man, you know a little bit wet, you know, just keep yourself locked in make sure you swing it the next one, And that's kind of the simple message without overdoing it. And he goes off and rattles off like twenty something kicks in a row. So there is a balance and the relationship developed kind of lets me know kind of how to approach the tough situations for sure with the guys. But you got to get to know him before before you handle that. So that's a part of the coaching job is such a mental game. You know that there's tools and there's competitiveness in one on ones, but then there's the mindset game that's so delicate that you just I think as a coach, you just got to get to know the guy.
Speaker 7: Coach.
Speaker 10: We appreciate the time. I hope you like Nashville.
Speaker 12: Been great so far, but I'm still new and uh I'm looking forward to, you know, moving in and making my community.
Speaker 10: Stay away from Broadway. Other than that, nothing else experience.
Speaker 9: I'm going everywhere.
Speaker 10: Coach, Thanks for the time, Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Something else I want to get to here is me you and Sarah Walsh. We were on NFL network. I'm gonna play this clip and it's like five minutes long, and at the beginning, you know, she's tossing the softballs, right. But the thing is I can't really hear her.
Speaker 7: I couldn't hear anything, and we.
Speaker 3: Had ear pieces, but they did not work. They were fake, that makes sense.
Speaker 7: I think they were fake. I was hearing like radio in my ear.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I was hearing Paul Harvey. That's the rest of the story. While we were doing our deal and the music was up very loud in the stadium, and they were doing play by play of practice, so is NonStop talk. So it was so much to take in and I couldn't hear her because the seating arrangement was Sarah far right, Matt in the middle, me on the left, So I'm having to like look across and watch her lips, and all I know is that she says something about quarterbacks in Nashville and goes to me, so, okay, I can go off that camp. And we talked about cam wore and until I compare it to other rookie quarterbacks, what you'll hear. At the end of this clip, she says to me, no idea what.
Speaker 8: I was right next to her and I could hardly hear, and I was like, there's no way, no way without this year he's working, that Bobby's getting any.
Speaker 3: Of this, heard none of it. So having screwed up a bunch and done a bunch of live television, what you do is you just go. If you can't hear, the worst thing you can do is be like what you just go whatever direction that you can go with a purpose. So I'm like, I don't know what you just said, but here's what I'm seeing. And the problem is what I was seeing was and he had a really great practice was Treylon Burks, Yes, except like five minutes after this segment he breaks his collarbone out for the year.
Speaker 7: Then waved, then waved then wave. It was like the curse of Bobby Bones.
Speaker 8: Like the guy, the guy, he's gonna have a big year, he's gonna come out, he's gonna ball out.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and then boom boom done. Done for the year. Felt bad for that young guy.
Speaker 3: I know he's been injured every year.
Speaker 7: It's like when you play golf, keep your mouth off my ball.
Speaker 3: I don't I've never said that.
Speaker 8: You never like when somebody's like, oh, good putt and then you just miss it and.
Speaker 3: You're like, I've never heard that saiding like that.
Speaker 6: I like that.
Speaker 7: You know you can use it.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Thank you. Here we are. This is me, Sarah Walsh and Matt.
Speaker 7: Hey Rot.
Speaker 10: We're so happy to be here.
Speaker 4: The Titans are hosting their first and only practice at Nissan Stadium, and then they'll go back over the practice facility. Brian Callahan told it's just a little while ago. Just being in this building or being in this stadium, it ups the intensity, obviously, breaks up the monotony. And there's two guys that live in Nashville and Bobby I'm going to start with you here. This is a franchise that has long been looking for a long term solution here at quarterback, they get cam Ward number one. Overall, just talk to us, as someone who's lived in Nashville now for a while, what this guy means, what this opportunity means for this city.
Speaker 3: I think anytime you get the number one pick, that's exciting for a franchise. It sucks how you got the number one pick, but now that you have it, like that's cool.
Speaker 10: He gives us here a reason to be excited.
Speaker 3: And I think there's been precedent said to in the last couple of years with CJ. Straud with the Texans, even jayde Daniels last year, that a rookie quarterback doesn't have to come in and just kind of suck your one. They can actually do big things if they're trusted upon. And I think in Callahan's offense and with cam Ward being so great at Miami, like he's dynamic.
Speaker 10: It's not just that he put up numbers. He's dynamic highlight clips. And I think that's what the.
Speaker 3: Fans here need, like a reason to see something dynamic and have hope that next year is going to be a.
Speaker 4: Change Matt there could be a quarterback competition there is I mean they can say that there is, but Will Levis now is not going to be available this season, so he was the number two here. We've gotten the sense from the second that took this guy that he was going to be starting Week one. Let's just start with mentally, what is this dude? This guy walks out here, he's obviously young, it's his rookie season, but he is known from the moment that he has stepped on the field that this is his team.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he knows that this is his team, and that's why they drafted and he came here and Brian Callahan and talked about it all offseason. He's just been so impressed with this leadership. He understands what is being asked of him. And I think that they've also done a good job with this young quarterback of understanding.
Speaker 9: They got to surround him with talent.
Speaker 6: They've got to go out Calvin Ridley, right, they have Calvin Ridley, they needed somebody opposite of him.
Speaker 9: They went out and got Tyler Lockett.
Speaker 6: They brought in Van Jefferson, and then they need to shure up that offensive line.
Speaker 9: They're able to do that.
Speaker 6: So cam Ward is in a better position to succeed than probably most people believe that he did originally coming to.
Speaker 9: The Tennessee Titans.
Speaker 4: We're taking a look at him at practicing. We've watched him here. What is going on in his head right now? I mean you're trying to absorb so much information. Callahan told us today, they're going to be working a lot on third down sets and maybe the most important thing they're going to do in terms of him being able to see different things get him prepared for the season, which kicks off with the Broncos. And you and I have talked about it. This is not an easy start for this Tennessee Titans team. He's going to open with the Broncos. He's going to get the Los Angeles Rams. If you're him in this progression of what this career, but where is he at right now?
Speaker 6: Well, sometimes your head spinning as a rookie quarterback. I don't care who you are, how much time you've had in college with different systems, when you come to the professional professional in the NFL, what eventually ends up happening as you hit that little rut in the road, right And it's that mental capacity.
Speaker 9: It's the processing because.
Speaker 6: You're learning and trying to absorb so much and so every day is important.
Speaker 7: But what I would do if.
Speaker 6: I'm the coach and I'm the defensive coordinator, I'm going to challenge them each and every day, particularly in what we call blitzdrill blitztroll is where you show a lot.
Speaker 9: Of different looks.
Speaker 6: You're gonna bring it from all different angles. Because protection for young quarterbacks is going to be key. Knowing how to protect yourself, get yourself out of trouble, and get the ball out of your hands.
Speaker 4: Their team president Chad Branker said that young guys are going to have to carry this team. And you hear that and I think, guys, what is realistic for the Tennessee Titans this year?
Speaker 3: Bobby, Yeah, it's so loud, I can hear nothing except I'm watching Calvin Ridley on the screen make freaking plays. We're in the middle of global warming here in Nashville, and it's extremely loud. But on the screen here, it's cool to see Calvin Ridley. It's also cool to see Trey long Burk's healthy again, because Traylon Brooks is a dog. There's a reason they traded it for him the first round. Last couple years have been injury prone.
Speaker 10: He's been heard, but I.
Speaker 3: Think the offense at Tennessee will have a lot of YouTube highlights, and that's what the fans need first of all, because we.
Speaker 10: Haven't had a winner here in a long time.
Speaker 3: So I'm sure your question was nothing like that, but I can hear nothing.
Speaker 10: Because they're so loud.
Speaker 4: Look, he didn't answer my question at all, but that's because the podcast is called lots to say. He had other things to say. And also to that point of it being loud in here, Brian Callian said today they're going to work on the silent count, So apparently in the stadium just jumps.
Speaker 10: Want to hear what I just jumped off side, It's not the.
Speaker 3: Matter, lent count day.
Speaker 6: Crank up the music, crank up the sound. Make sure everybody's operating mentally focused.
Speaker 9: While we were off sides.
Speaker 3: On that point, they're doing practice play by play over our head too, which I've never quite heard before.
Speaker 10: But yeah, super exciting here in Nashville.
Speaker 4: Lots to say, They got more to say. You can listen to it on the podcast.
Speaker 3: Rest And now we're going to go over to and I missed this, but you got to talk with cam Orrick. We did, and so we'll play this and then I ask some questions about Cam once this is over.
Speaker 10: Are excited to be here, Cam.
Speaker 14: It's fun to watch practice today.
Speaker 3: I want to start first of all the big throws.
Speaker 14: We'll get to all the other topics, but walk me through the big throw down the field, a big touchdown to to Ridley today.
Speaker 5: Look close, scrambling drill. I don't know if it's a real play. Might have been a sack. Got to see it on film. But that's just meeking quality, working on my guys, them, letting them, letting them know how I think in Scramma dril. So it's good that we have to get one of those plays.
Speaker 9: Camp.
Speaker 6: From an install standpoint, I know that every day there's probably an emphasis talk to us about your processing ability and learning this offense, and every day some new reality comes up that you're trying to learn.
Speaker 5: Uh, just get used to the terminology. It's not different from college and stand up routes and concepts everything.
Speaker 9: It's all the same.
Speaker 5: Just getting used to the NFL terminology, to formations, and they also just staying the long play called the third down, play calls the cans that checks out to mate. But I mean it's been fun. I've been getting bet every day. I'm running something new every day. I got a good group of guys around me, the offensive line, wid receiving, corner, running back, so i'mxcided to see.
Speaker 7: What we can do well.
Speaker 14: I talked to a bunch of coaches and a bunch of personnel guys, and the one thing they said that stood out to me was they can't beat you into the office. What time are you getting in the facility every day, and who have you been bringing with you?
Speaker 5: I get there, I get there about five thirty. Just the process what I need to do to try to get, you know, be able to play my best ball in a couple weeks, and then just also getting my receivers up there. Really, He's always up there, Emily can Chimney's always up there with shovels up there. We got so really, all the young guys, we really stay up there because you know, we're behind the eight ball. We're playing a game seven year and ten year events, and we got to be ready to play from day one.
Speaker 9: So I'm excited though.
Speaker 5: That's why we have emphasis on getting there, learning everything, and you know, just trying to get bet every day.
Speaker 6: Cam Where's that leadership quality come from, because you know, you come in you're gonna be the face of this franchise for a long period of time.
Speaker 11: But it's got to be something that you.
Speaker 6: Grew up as a born leader, right But at the same time to come into a new group of grown men in the professional setting, where does that leadership come from?
Speaker 5: And you're I just think just understanding your teammates, learning more about them, where they're from, their background, how they get to this point because I had a different journey to get into it. You know where I am now, and I just think I don't separate from what the outside world sees the quarterback position as to what our position as is on the team. That's really being a good teammate, leading guys when you need to, and also not being a selfish player. We have a locker room full of unselfish players. Who are they want to do is way? And I'm sorry that I'm about the team.
Speaker 9: Etcter.
Speaker 2: You have a veteran offensive line, you go.
Speaker 14: Out and get a guy like Kevin Zitler, You go out and get Dan Moore. Have guys who've been in this league for quite a while.
Speaker 5: I'm really excited and they hold me to a hogh standard, and I'm holding up to Houstin as well. But I mean guys like Kevin and Dan, they teach me little things even when they don't think.
Speaker 9: They teach me something.
Speaker 5: They played football for a longer period than I am, and I just gotta I gotta learn stuff on the floor. I gotta learn stuff as fast as they did when they first got into the league. But I'm decided that you know the GM, Mr Mike, and you know missus Chattan, this's day surrounding me around guys like that to help me with my journey.
Speaker 11: And talk to us about your wide receiver room.
Speaker 6: Obviously Calvin Ridley, who's coming back as your number one, but you go out, you get Tyler Locke, and you ring a guy like Van Jefferson who's played a lot of quality football over his time, and Tyler Tyron Burks is coming back and he's a guy that you're hoping for big things. But that room looks a lot different than what it did in the past.
Speaker 7: We got to unbelieve we receive the corper.
Speaker 5: I think the biggest thing we have from when watching them last year this year is that we just have a lot of speed, special young guys with elk Chim when we drafted but Calvalta lock I just think those three of the best receivers in the league. They helped me just understanding when they need the ball, why they eat the ball, and just when and how they get in out of breaking breaks. I think the biggest thing that I'm learnning from them. We've had to get some good work end this summer. Colin today Lockett knowing it was covered.
Speaker 11: Two sitting up for me and me hitting him in that window. So we learned at each other on the fly.
Speaker 5: But I can for sure say you getting better every day.
Speaker 14: Have you thought about some type of a present for Jeffrey Simmons and kind of calm him down a little bit on the defensive line, just slowed down just a little bit.
Speaker 5: That's that's a big man right there.
Speaker 7: Man like dad.
Speaker 11: We slided his way every time we play him.
Speaker 5: I'm Finna, I'm Finn the running back in the in the A gap, and I'm chipping him every time I can.
Speaker 6: So.
Speaker 5: I mean, j jeff he's a he's a He's an ultimate competitor. He's somebody that you know, I wake up and I'm ready to get to work, to get to work and go get so but it's fun. I never played with a defensive lineman that big, who can move like him. But I mean, he's the reason why our defense is going to be so good. He can pressure the quarterback. He's a great team player, he's a great locker room guys on the side there, you know.
Speaker 6: Having by myself, I think one of the most important relationships for any quarterback is a relationship with their offensive coreator.
Speaker 9: You've got a new offensive coordinator with Nick Colts.
Speaker 6: Talk to me about that process and learning to get to know each other and the collaboration that really takes place to get to know you as a player.
Speaker 5: Uh, just good. I think the first time me finally being in coach hose, just throughout the whole free draft process.
Speaker 11: But to now is that he.
Speaker 7: Really understands me.
Speaker 5: He understands you know, wildlight, certain players. I'm not used to doing a five step from Gunn, but I'm starting to love now, especially getting the balled out on Tom getting to early. Hey, I think does Coach Hols, you know, Coach Callaha and coach vote quarterback coach, They're gonna really dillard.
Speaker 11: Up for us this year last one.
Speaker 14: As we wrap it up, look at the two of us, Me and Mass sweating like crazy. You don't have a beat of sweat on you know, how is that here possible?
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm from Texas, lovely like Texas hot our here playing on from the South. So I'm glad I was able to stay in the South and being Tennessee.
Speaker 14: Camp Woard's prepared. He's prepared for the weather, He's prepared for what's going on out there.
Speaker 2: On the field. Thanks buddy, the Starry appreciate you.
Speaker 3: They got to sit with Cam Wore there. I don't know what were your takeaways after meeting him.
Speaker 8: I mean, he's very mature, He's got a great grasp of who he is.
Speaker 7: He's confident. You could tell that right away.
Speaker 8: He talked about his leadership, he talked about this transition into the pros, and you could tell like there's something about him. He's got some moxie to him. He's a natural leader, and I'm excited for the young man. I think he knows that this season is going to be one of those that they're still rebuilding. But it's he's got the keys of the car right. He knows that he's the franchise. He knows that he's the face of this franchise and that it's going to be an uphill battle. But at the same time, I think he embraces that, understands it. And you look at the history of what he went through in his college career, going to JC, going to Washington State, having to prove himself every step along the way, and then to get that shot at Miami become the number one draft pick. He understands what it's going to take, and I don't think he's phased by any of it.
Speaker 3: We're gonna come back. We're going to talk about I have questions about Caleb Williams and Bears Camp. We'll do that. We'll talk about the Hall of Fame. And I bought something that came in the mail today and I'm curious if you have one of these, We'll do all that. On the other side of this, I got a package from Amazon today and it was very long. It looked like golf clubs. It was that long of a box. Okay, so you can picture it, And I'm like, what did I order that's long like that? Because I knew I didn't order a single golf club. I knew I didn't order golf clubs.
Speaker 7: You order golf clubs of famous.
Speaker 3: No, well it looked like that title. I was just asking, I've ordered like a one of those weighted ones, like the ball you swing to get loose. Yeah, so no, but no, because I've been lucky enough to have like sponsorship deals. I'm not even not gonna a golfer, but can I get some of that? I think I will sponsor you. I will sponsor you. So I open it up, and I forgot that I had bought this also. I didn't know it'd come this long. But I bought one of those big, long wooden things you put over your bathtube and you take a bath, so you can work while you take a bath.
Speaker 8: Are you a big bath guy, big bath guy, big bath guy, bath guys, depending.
Speaker 3: On what you really Yeah, because if something's wrong with me, epsin sauce, for sure. If nothing's wrong with me, because epsin sauce sometimes in the bath bomb or the bubbles don't mix. Well, okay, the chemistry doesn't work. Big bath guy, big bath guy. And so I bought me a new It holds like my computer. I can stand in the longer, I can like watch some tiktoks. Yeah, you have bath guide all.
Speaker 7: You know what?
Speaker 8: This is the God's honest truth. Because I wasn't feeling great this last week. I took my first first bath in about five years, just because I had like the shivers, wasn't feeling good.
Speaker 7: I was like, it was relaxing.
Speaker 3: You enjoyed it.
Speaker 7: It was relieving. Yeah, but I couldn't say that I'm a bath guy. I probably don't have time for that.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I don't either. But you make time for things you love. And you know what, I love a bat. You love a good bath, and I can't.
Speaker 7: Just like my seven year old daughter.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, we probably are many ways.
Speaker 7: Do you have like little Barbies and duckies in there too?
Speaker 3: It depends am my bath bombing it or my EPs in salting it? Barbiees is bath bomb got it? EPs and salts like sore muscles.
Speaker 7: Muscles have been working hard.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing though, about happenings. Because I'm hurt right now, I have a muscle or a physical therapist coming over. Okay, any injury that I get at this point in my life, I just live with it. I just assume it's going to be there the rest of his life.
Speaker 7: Man, that's a bad way to go through thet.
Speaker 3: Like I heard my ankle tor from cartilage my ankle like a year ago. Doctors like, it's never going to heal.
Speaker 7: You can just it'll never heal.
Speaker 3: Carlage is gone.
Speaker 7: I mean, what a bad doctor.
Speaker 8: Well no, hope, I messed some bedside manner to you, for God's sake.
Speaker 3: Messed up my shoulder.
Speaker 7: To use it, never going to use it. Can't swing a pickleball.
Speaker 3: Tweaked my back in a pickleball tournament. It hurts, yes, And now I just assume my back is always going to be hurting the rest of my life.
Speaker 8: Did you, like, are you one of those guys that have to go, like, get the MRI, maybe a cat scan.
Speaker 7: Figure it out right away.
Speaker 3: I'm the guy that puts it off. As a matter of fact, I was playing in this tournament and I hurt. I felt it, and I fell on my knee and I cut my knee up. But this dude was talking so much garbage and he was cheating, and so I was like, screw this. I was down a point or so, and I knew I needed to stop playing or it was gonna get worse. But I could not quit until I won that and beat that guy. Wasn't about the match, It's about beating that year I did. I beat him and then I had to retire from the tournament after that. But I think I heard it worse by continuing to play. But I would do it again. That dude was cheating his face off.
Speaker 7: So when you say cheating, are you calling your own points?
Speaker 3: Yes, and that's what I was doing.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I looked at him, and I think I told the story. I said, are you doing a bit? But I have a physical therapist coming over to day to work on my back and then I plan to get back in the bath with my brand new back in the bath, my my bath desk. Yeah, desk anybody out there, I don't know, dude. If you don't have a bath desk, you ain't living.
Speaker 7: You ain't living.
Speaker 8: And it's and it's specifically for taking baths and to do desk work on and desk work, that's right. And if you do or so you do more desk work on there, you're actually watching Netflix or what.
Speaker 3: I don't watch Netflix there, but I do. I'll do some tiktoking, you'll do some TikTok. I some tiktoking, and I will work a little bit, but it's how I manage my time to get in the same place. If you decide you want to be more of a bath guy, I have the perfect bath desk and I will I will get you one.
Speaker 7: I appreciate that you just let me know. I still know if I'm going to go down that path yet you may not. But you're gonna have to tweak a few things.
Speaker 3: I am the expert you call you are. I have questions about quarterbacks. I ask you if you have a questions about bats, I'm going to hit you up. Yes.
Speaker 7: Now, speaking of.
Speaker 3: Quarterbacks, I've been watching just through clips and reading about it, especially from the local beat writers about the Bears camp and Kayleb Williams, and obviously Ben Johnson is there now as the head coach, who is the offensive coordinator in Detroit, and apparently Kayleb Williams is struggling. They even gave Caleb Williams I said they Ben Johnson, the offensive staff gave a bunch of homework before camp because he struggled at Ota. Is a bit how common is that for a quarterback with a entire new philosophy to struggle at this part of the year. Is it much ado about nothing?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean there is obviously a process to this whole deal, and it's probably even when you listen to Ben Johnson's comments and some of the pressers, he's like, this is brand new terminology. We're putting more on his plate, and right now they're going to continue to push him and see how far he can elevate, how much he can take in, how much he can process now, because then you can always pull back. But until you expose him to the entirety of that playbook, then you'll never know what he's capable of. Now, you can take the baby step approach where it's, hey, we're going to start really slow and just kind of introduce common concepts. But if Ben Johnson knows that that offense is going to operate at its best, it's going to have the motions, the pre staff shifts, it's going to have the elaborate, sophisticated layers to it that they want Caleb William to be able to retain and understand why they're doing it. So I understand why there's going to be struggles because even when I got to New England and I was a rookie quarterback coming in learning a new terminology.
Speaker 7: That I thought was sophisticated. But there was a lot of check with me.
Speaker 8: There's a lot of two plays in the huddle getting to the right, but you're also shifting during those you're using double cadence, and that's probably more than he's ever done in his entire career. So it's a learning curve, and it's a steep learning curve. But I think what Ben Johnson's really do and is pushing him to try to see how much he can take in because they can always pull back.
Speaker 3: He may need a bath desk.
Speaker 8: He made me need a bath desk in the computer so he can go through it.
Speaker 3: So while he's in the bath, he can still So you guys are like, oh, you take baths. Yeah, but you're doing two things at once. He's a little little aps and salt, a little bath desk.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Watch the place, watch the place. Rehearse the place. I mean, every time I went into a new offense. It's the funniest thing because I used to have my wife literally goes down the play sheet and give me the calls so that I would rehearse saying them out loud because There's something to be said about knowing the terminology but then visualizing it. And when sometime when you're in a new system and even you hear the play call coming to your helmet, you don't always process that. You're just regurgitating what you're hearing. So you have to practice those. As small as that sounds, it makes all the difference in the world to go into a huddle and have confidence and be able to visualize that play and say it confidently.
Speaker 3: Hall of Fame. We got four members going in. Antonio Gates. First thing that comes to mind, Antonio Gates, I'm gonna go basketball player, because that's all they used to say. Now that's been done a couple of times, like Jimmy Jimmy Graham was a basketball player. Those guys have happened before. But for me, Antonio Gates basketball player that turned into a tight end. He was extremely dominant, but he was just so much taller than everybody too.
Speaker 8: I mean, he was dominant and he never looked like he was running extremely fast, but nobody could cover this guy within that five to ten yard range, and then he would explode out and just get open down the field.
Speaker 7: He had a great feel.
Speaker 8: Obviously Hall of famer, and we've played against him a bunch when I was with the Chiefs, and I used to just throw fits on the sideline anytime it was clutch time, third down.
Speaker 7: Philip rivers would just find him over. You could try to double them.
Speaker 3: Doing it, and I knew they were going on well, you knew they were going to him.
Speaker 7: He had sure hands catch everything. Just a freak of nature.
Speaker 3: Jared Allen your boy.
Speaker 7: I'm going actually, I'm going up this my new friend. Really yeah, he I got invited two.
Speaker 8: Jared Allen's having something after and so obviously we played together at Minnesota. Good friend of mine. I'm going to go up and celebrate him this week, and so it'll be fun.
Speaker 3: That's super cool.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm excited.
Speaker 3: Eric Allen. Do you ever play against Erek Allen?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 8: I did not, Yes, I did it play against Eric Allen? Great player as well.
Speaker 3: Did you play with them at all?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 3: Fifty four career interceptions, that's a.
Speaker 7: Lot of a lot of interceptions.
Speaker 3: That's a lot of interceptions. And then Sterling Sharp.
Speaker 7: Way before you, way before me.
Speaker 3: And I remember Sterling Sharp as a young kid because that was Farv's dude in the first generation FARV that I remember. Sterling Sharp was a dude.
Speaker 7: Sterling Sharp was the dude bighead. Did you yeah, good player?
Speaker 3: No? No, fine, fine player, fine player, talked a lot, smoked a lot of cigars.
Speaker 7: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: But Sterling Sharp gets in six hundred catches, different time, though, different time. Five time pro bowler, NFL All Decade Team of the nineties. Now, those are the four going in. Have you seen the list of the folks that are eligible, because I want to read you some of these and you tell me, well, let's pick who we think should go in. Okay, Now, I think the rule is minimal for maximum eight, right.
Speaker 8: I think that they went four too because they had the year after COVID, right where they had a bunch go in like full eight.
Speaker 3: That you mean this year for yeah, yeah, So why don't we do six? Let's just do it in the middle. It's gonna be tough because i'll read you someone and you can say absolutely yes, or we'll come back to them.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 3: Drew Brees absolutely yes, absolutely yes, put him down, absolutely yes. Larry Fitzgerald absolutely yes, absolutely yes, agree, Jason Witten absolutely yes. Well, I'm gonna come back to Jason Whitton. I think it's yes too, but I purposefully didn't go to the whole list because I wanted to play with you as I read them.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm going to.
Speaker 3: Come back to Jason Witten.
Speaker 7: I played with I played with Witt. Yeah, gotta love I mean, I love that guy.
Speaker 3: Really why just a.
Speaker 8: Unbelievable professional, but a guy that had played with grit, great leader, played hurt. I mean, he tells the story where he had his jaw like full on, had to get realigned and had to go see the special doctor and came out still made it out for opening day. He played with me with cracked ribs and he had fluid in his lungs and then we were at the end of the season. Game didn't matter. Should have protected himself. No was out there on Thursday practice, got his lung drain like just a guy that could get open in a phone booth, understood how to play the position, could block at the end of the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 7: Just an absolute stud.
Speaker 3: Okay, yes, I've now switched. I'm now a Yes. After that, he just gave me the one one for the Gipper speech. You're a sponsor now is does he live here?
Speaker 7: He's in Texas, got it. There were rumors that he was going to come coming.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's what I wondered if you Yeah, Okay Frank Gore, He's a yes for me too, so I'm going to come back. Frank Gore extremely dominant, but played a long, long, long time and what he played eighteen seasons And sometimes people will devalue the link to someone's career, But do you know how hard it is that you do? But I'm saying it is very hard to stay healthy. Yes, Like there's as much much upkeep in work at staying healthy as there is being great, especially at running back. Yeah, Edelman.
Speaker 7: Not yet?
Speaker 3: Okay, Olsen, do you think his career has been helped by what he's been able to do at a high level after the game, because I think he's probably not there in this class.
Speaker 7: But I how many were you taking in this class? Six?
Speaker 3: I think we have three so far, and I think but his profile and that does it sho, but it does count.
Speaker 7: Yeah, But also his stats speak for themselves.
Speaker 3: Like guy was dominant, he also played at times for a team that was not good, right with the Panthers.
Speaker 7: Which sometimes makes you overlook how great he.
Speaker 3: Was, the same thing has happened with Keighley. Yeah, and he is probably one of the greatest linebackers to ever play football. But I think people at times don't have the full understanding of how Greaty was because at times he played with the Panthers.
Speaker 8: He played with the Panthers. Panthers, And the other thing is his career was shortened because of injury. Lashawn McCoy, Mmm, he's on the cuss for me too, Bryant. No, okay, I'm with you. Still three for sure, unless you put Gore in there.
Speaker 3: For sure, you can come back to Gore. Uh uh.
Speaker 7: Marquise Pouncy gosh, how many years did he play?
Speaker 3: Years? I don't know, but I think I would put him in.
Speaker 8: Really and s I mean, all these guys have you can make an argument for all these guys. I think the thing the hard part for offensive lineman is they're not as visible. That's the yes, the fact that we know who he is, Yeah, that you know who Marquis Poncey is. How many Another thing is how many Super Bowls, sacks given up, whatever it might be. That kind of comes into play when you're talking about offensive line.
Speaker 7: Eleven years, eleven years?
Speaker 3: Uh, Okay, I'm gonna I'll come back. Philip Rivers.
Speaker 7: Oh, he's another guy.
Speaker 3: Only have two more? Well one more, and then we can go and insert three others. Uh, Steven Goskowski? Who Goskowski? Who didn't get in this this year?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 3: M But I thought he would have got in this year. But he's he's also on the list. Did you play with I didn't. Stephen was with me for three years in New England. So we have to pick three from Gore, Lashawn McCoy, Pouncey, Rivers, Gaskowski.
Speaker 8: All right, I'm gonna go with Gore. Graskowski played a long time. He had what how many super Bowl championships?
Speaker 7: Did he have four?
Speaker 3: That's a that's a Kevin question.
Speaker 7: No, he was. He was posted the first three, so he's at least has three.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go Pouncey for sure, So that'd be my fourth. You know what, you can convince me on Gore, that'd be on my five.
Speaker 7: Hey, this is a tough less man.
Speaker 3: And Gus Kalski, I'm gonna go him to I think he should have got in last year. He's got three three super bowls?
Speaker 7: Is Venetia already in the Yeah?
Speaker 3: He went this year.
Speaker 7: This last year, last year, Yes, sorry, that's right.
Speaker 3: This year I went to the NFL Honors and he was there being honored for getting in it.
Speaker 7: Yeah yeah, he's all Jack now right, Oh yeah, Oh.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Oh yeah, he's like a big weightlifting guy.
Speaker 7: Peptides for sure.
Speaker 3: Maybe you don't, maybe you don't put six in.
Speaker 7: I'll go Steven for sure.
Speaker 8: I know Steven, and dude, the guy is rock solid, kicked as efficiently and effectively for as good as anybody for his duration.
Speaker 7: Of his career.
Speaker 3: Okay, then who do you think, without your personal opinion or bias, who do you think for sure gets in?
Speaker 7: I think the top three that we said.
Speaker 3: So Breeze for sure, Fitzgerald for sure, and.
Speaker 7: I don't think that if they I don't think they'd take another quarterback.
Speaker 3: I think Written to me is about eighty five percent center. I think he gets in.
Speaker 7: I think Witten is another one witting to me, he's going in.
Speaker 3: So Breeze, Fitzgerald and Whitten where universally those guys are in.
Speaker 7: And then I think Frank Worr is going in.
Speaker 3: Man, you almost have to permit for being that active for that long at a high level for that long sixteen years, and the high level thing is important. You can't just be that active for that long and get in or would be the hall of being Well, well, I'm.
Speaker 8: Sure he's got a million different stats, how many thousand yard seasons, everything else that go along with it.
Speaker 3: It's a good class, good class. I think it's a good class, really good class. What are you going to do to pict yourself? Just go lay, take a bath.
Speaker 8: I'm probably going to take multiple guys Jared all party, go to Jared Allen's party.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you gotta get so you can get back at it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, it'll just get back on the horse.
Speaker 3: Yes, you gotta gotta get ride that horse. Get well so you can get I get bucked off.
Speaker 7: But you know what, little hair of the dog.
Speaker 3: Hey, Now, I was gonna see if you're going to play golf on Thursday, but I think you just need a hill up.
Speaker 7: It's my wife's birthday on Thursday. Baby, I'm asked.
Speaker 3: Them to play golf. I don't know anywhere from two to seventy times. I'm not sure. It's aways a family and so well, when you have five kids and a wife, it's always my yes.
Speaker 8: But it was my way it is my wife's birthday, it would be kind of hard bread.
Speaker 7: Then. I love you so much.
Speaker 3: I always want to say, get your mouth off my balls out there. So all right, all right, that's it. I hope you feel better.
Speaker 7: No, thank you.
Speaker 8: I'm already feeling better just seeing you and knowing that a bath is my way to healing.
Speaker 7: That's it.
Speaker 3: No, it literally is it is? You think I'm kidding.
Speaker 7: No, I'm not.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm going I'm going to give you a listen as someone who speaks for a living every day for at times for seven or eight hours a day. Right, this is my this is my instrument.
Speaker 7: That's your instrument.
Speaker 3: So if you do some like I guess they don't really do bing gay anymore. Did you have been gay back in your day? Oh yeah, okay, now what is it? It's like icy hot if you do any of the icy hot stuff in the bath. Yeah, it's like times three.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 7: I remember there's stuff called atomic bomb.
Speaker 3: Oh no, that like b A L MBALLM.
Speaker 7: Dude. Did you used to rub it on? It was like fire?
Speaker 3: Can you can you get it? Though?
Speaker 7: Now I'm sure you can. They have it in every training room.
Speaker 3: But if you take a bath. With that stuff on your chest, It's like it lifts the devil out of you.
Speaker 7: I didn't know that you were pre med when you went to college.
Speaker 3: I am not. However, I am a doctor.
Speaker 7: I am a doctor.
Speaker 3: I am a doctor. I have a Doctor of Letters in the University of Arkansas.
Speaker 7: Did they give that to you? They did? Doctor.
Speaker 3: I'm still if I wanted to call myself doctor doctor.
Speaker 7: I legally could the good doctor mister Bell.
Speaker 3: When I'm on campus, they have to refer to me as doctor doctor. It's hilarious. Come on, Yes, I'm an honorary doctor, except I could like Bill Cosby.
Speaker 7: I hate to reference him, but he's he.
Speaker 3: He was always doctor William Cosby, and he put that in his actual name. But he was just an honorary doctor.
Speaker 7: Yeah. I don't know.
Speaker 8: If you're an honorary you can go around floating the doctor term have a diploma.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but guys went to I mean people.
Speaker 3: I'm not I'm not saying a medical doctor for twenty years. I'm not saying I'm a medical doctor. But my deeds and my service to my stay true have allowed them to honorarily give me a doctor. I will not. I can't prescribe anything, but I do prescribe. You do some icy hot in your chest.
Speaker 7: Icy hot.
Speaker 3: Take it back as sauce. Hey, pleasure back.
Speaker 7: I'm good, I'm Ready're good.
Speaker 3: Thank you guys for being here. Thanks to the Titans for having us out.
Speaker 7: Hope you have a good.
Speaker 3: Trip this weekend.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 3: It's awesome.
Speaker 7: Let's go Jered.
Speaker 3: That is Matt Castle. Let's kick off, Kevin. That's Brandon Ray. I'm Bobby Bones. We've had lots to say. Goodbye, everybody.
Speaker 1: Lots to say with Bobby Bones and Matt Castle. Is a production of the NFL and iHeart Podcasts. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.