Speaker 1: What's that at the bed? It's spooky and yooky. I'm pretty sure it's dead. It's coming, it's a way.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, help.
Speaker 1: I got.
Speaker 2: By Ross dress p.
Speaker 1: Hi boo, it's me Ros dress Fules. You know that I love you guys so much and I love hearing from you. And since we started doing this podcast, I've had so many people write me with their ghost stories and I love them. And I've also, you know, I've also gotten to meet a lot of you in person, and I hear your ghost stories in person, which is so fun. But I had this idea, you might recall a couple of weeks ago, I made a little uh what's the word I'm looking for? You know, I wanted to do a call to action and see, hey, hey, do any of you want to actually be on the show and give me a phone call and we can actually talk about it and record it. I had some wonderful conversations with some of you, my listeners, my booze.
Speaker 3: So here's the first one. Is this Samantha, Yes, it is hi, Samantha.
Speaker 1: That's me Ross Dresephls.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, this is so exciting.
Speaker 1: How are you.
Speaker 4: I'm good, how are you great.
Speaker 1: Where are you calling from.
Speaker 4: I am calling from Greensboro, North Carolina.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, is it pretty haunted there? I feel like it would be miserable.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's so hot. It's so humid. We are literally the armpit of the United States.
Speaker 1: Okay, so tell me about your ghost story.
Speaker 4: Okay. So I work in historic preservation, which means I spend a lot of time in old houses. That's so cool, and yes, I love it so much. I'm a big architecture nerd. I just love everything about it. I love the stories and just the feeling of old houses.
Speaker 2: So this particular.
Speaker 4: Instance actually happened a few years ago. I was working with a group of architectural historians and students. We were kind of going around to these different buildings and drawing these skilled floor plans, and this specific location I can't really say exactly where it was, but it's in North Carolina, and it's this beautiful old doctor's house. So it was kind of like his home, but also a place where he did some surgeries and did some medical care for the community. I think it was also like a medical school at one point. But it's like this huge nineteenth century house and.
Speaker 1: So so spooky. About like maybe doing surgeries in a house at one point or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, to be fair, I actually didn't even think about that when I was there.
Speaker 1: Oh that's right where my mind goes.
Speaker 4: I surprisingly didn't because normally I loved few things, ghost things. But I was not scared of the fact that it was where surgeries were performed anything. I wasn't even thinking about that. I was just kind of focused on the architecture and drawing these floor plans. I was like really into it. And on the first day it was like a huge group of us. There were like over twenty of us there. We were just bustling all around the house doing these floor plans. So we were like measuring walls and doing stuff. And as we're exploring the house, a small group of us goes upstairs to kind of see what's going on upstairs, and there was this really weird room. It was painted blue, and it had this bed that was in there that was like busted with the mattress that had been ripped open. There were like feathers everywhere.
Speaker 1: It was a disaster.
Speaker 2: Wait, really weird?
Speaker 1: Was this house like empty at the time, Like we're squad in there, like what was going on?
Speaker 4: No? And it was not empty. It actually was like minimally furnished with period furniture. They had like some artifacts in there that had like certain old surgical equipment, and they're also really creepy. There were these like old dolls and these old children's toys. I don't know why they were in there, Like it could have just been like for kids to play with while they were waiting for the doctor, or it could have just been like something that was put there later. But that just adds another level to like the creepy component of this place. So we're upstairs in this room and I'm in there with a bunch of architectural historians and we're like looking at the walls and it's really strange. There were like all these little holes all over the walls, all the way up into the ceiling. It looked like someone took a nail and hammered it into the wall and then removed the nail and then hammered it into the wall again. Not totally random like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it wasn't like it looked like maybe at one point someone was hanging up pictures there. It was just like random holes all over the wall.
Speaker 4: No, no rods. They were like thousands of holes and they were like totally randomly placed. It was bizarre. So I'm up there with like architectural historians and they're looking at it and ever literally everyone up there is like, I've never seen this. I have no idea what this is. So like it was just like weird. There's like all these weird holes. And I did start to get like a little bit of a creepy vibe after I saw that room, but I was there with like a million people. It was broad daylight, so I didn't get that creeped out. But so we're doing all this work in the house. We end up not finishing in time. There's still a few rooms downstairs that have to get done, but the rest of the group has to go on and do something else. So we just decided that I would go back with one of my colleagues the next day and just like finish up downstairs, just the two of us. And that's where things started to get really creepy. O. We show up that morning. We're supposed to meet the guy who's gonna let us in at like nine, and we show up and we're hanging out outside and nobody has shown up to let us in and like fifteen minutes go by. So we start walking around the house and we're trying different doors, Like we try the front door and some side doors, and when we try one of the side doors, it was open. So we were just like, oh, okay, well maybe when he said come at nine, he meant like, I will unlock a door for you and just like go in and start working. So we have like our little measuring tape and the floor plans that we're working on, and we go in and I'm like measuring one of the walls where my friend is riding down the measurements, and we start hearing someone walking upstairs from the far into the house, like the other end. This is a huge house, by the way, by the from the far end of the house, we hear them like walking towards us, and I'm like, shaky, got me too. It's still so still so scary even just thinking about it. But we hear these footsteps and they get louder and louder until they're walking right over.
Speaker 2: Ahead of us.
Speaker 1: Are you somebody that instantly thinks ghost or no?
Speaker 4: Okay, So I totally believe in ghosts. I've had tons of experiences in my life like since being a kid. My mom's side of the family is a little.
Speaker 5: Bit mystical ish.
Speaker 4: They're Italian and they like believe in that sort of stuff, so I've.
Speaker 2: Always like believed.
Speaker 4: But for some reason in that instance, I don't know if it's because I was so distracted on just getting this work done and there was beautiful architecture, so I was kind of focusing on that. In my mind, I thought it was the guy that was supposed.
Speaker 5: To meet us.
Speaker 2: God.
Speaker 4: So I'm hearing this walking and I'm like, Okay, that's the guy. He's coming towards us, and he was walking towards the staircase that that was right next to me. I was in like the living room area, and there was this really twisty staircase that was to my right. And it's kind of hard to explain, but the way that it was built is that you can only see like the first couple of stairs, and then the staircase turns and there's a wall, so I couldn't really see, but I knew that he was walking towards the staircase, and as soon as the steps got to the top of the staircase, they kind of like stopped with a shuffle like it was so obvious this footsteps couldn't be anything else. And at that point I called up the stairs. I was like why and nobody answered nothing.
Speaker 1: Would you do you just went on with your day of working or what?
Speaker 4: No? No no? When no one answered, I turned and I looked at my friends and we both we knew at that point that it was either like a transient person who was in the house or someone who was not supposed to be there, or it was a ghost because at that point when I had called up to the who I thought was the person and nothing responded, it was really weird. It was like I totally fro. I felt this icy chill go down my spine, like something is totally not right in this house. And when I turned until my friend felt the same way. We locked eyes for a little bit and then ran out of the house. We just dropped everything and faulted out of the side door of the house like screaming.
Speaker 1: That's such a cool job that you have, So it's so cool you get to go to like all these old places like that, Huh I do.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mostly work with private property owners, but I also am the manager of a historic site here in North Carolina.
Speaker 1: So do you ever like, so you know, like the history of all these places, like what you know if there could be a ghost, like someone might have died there, like, do you have access to that knowledge?
Speaker 4: Yes, totally. So A lot of what I do when I'm researching a house is that you have to not only study and record the architecture, but you have to do the history of the house as well, which involves like looking at all the old records in the city directories and following the deeds and reading any like newspaper articles and stuff. So yes, whenever I go to a place, I usually know the full history of what is recorded about the house.
Speaker 1: So do you have any theory like who could be haunting it? Do you think it was the doctor or a patient?
Speaker 4: I honestly don't know. My friend and I we did end up going back in and we finished those drawings, even though we were so freaked out, like we could feel a presence like in there following us. Whatever it was was completely malicious because I know that it was doing that to intimidate us and make us feel like threatened. It was especially creepy and one of the one of the rooms that had like all the dolls in it, I just like felt the back of my neck was just tingling with a malicious feeling. So I know many people probably had died there because it was kind of like a hospital. I think it was a hospital during the Civil War as well, where they did like a lot of surgeries. It's got to be a place of trauma for sure. I don't think it was a doctor. I think it was maybe somebody who died there who was just like could not leave that place behind. I know that's creepy.
Speaker 1: Well, this is so cool that I got to talk to you, because that's why that's why I'm so excited about this episode, is because I get to hear from people of like all different parts of the country and like, that's the kind of I haven't heard a kind of story like that yet. I haven't talked to anybody that has a job like you. So that's I'm so grateful that you called.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm so grateful as you invited me on the show. I love listening to your show, and I know this has come up a couple times, so I wanted to clarify it a little bit about the question about whether or not a realtor has to tell disclosed off a house is.
Speaker 1: Haunted, Yes, tell us.
Speaker 4: Okay, so it's actually state by.
Speaker 1: State that's what I thought.
Speaker 4: Real, Yes, realtors, they have to disclose material facts, which means like the house has mold or like or the roof is leaking. But that doesn't necessarily mean like, oh, someone was murdered here or oh this house is haunted. So it's stafe by state. I know in New York there's like a weird law, this weird ruling that says if a house is known by to the public as being haunted, like if its reputation has become public knowledge, then that becomes the material fact and it has to be disclosed. But if it's like the private person who's lived there forever just knows the places haunted as hell, they don't have to tell anybody anything. It's like only the public knowledge.
Speaker 1: So only if some like Glabermouth lived in that house that has to be like if someone like me that probably would like go on like TV shows and be like I need a book deal, my walls are bleeding like that's but yeah, so that's the only scenario where they have to tell you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, not all states even have to tell if someone was murdered there. California is one where realtors have to say if someone was murdered there, but not all states.
Speaker 1: Wow. Interesting, Well I'm glad that at least where I live they have to tell you, because.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you need to know that info. Yeah, but if you ever want to call me back with any other like preservation questions or like house questions or whatever, I'd be happy to answer your questions.
Speaker 1: Oh, honey, I've been trying to preserve this act. I've been doing for years.
Speaker 3: There's a ghost in my house. I got Casey here, Hi, Casey, Hey, how's it going so good?
Speaker 1: Where are you at, Casey?
Speaker 2: I'm actually in southern California.
Speaker 1: Also, oh where are you?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yes, not too far in an Empire riverside. Yeah, yeah, I'm not too far.
Speaker 1: Well, thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Okay, I want to hear your ghost story. This involves your husband's grandmother.
Speaker 2: Actually mine, Oh okay, it was my Yeah, so we actually my grandmother lived in this house. And I don't know if you've ever.
Speaker 5: Heard of the Harbor Heights.
Speaker 2: It's kind of closer to La Sure, it's like La County. Okay, So this house, it was her home that she lived in. I don't know since like maybe the sixties seventies, and my mom was raised there. I grew up there as a kid. It always freaked me out. I always had that feeling of just I just didn't like it there. My mom had to come pick me up in the middle of the night. All this stuff. It was like a split level home and it was like built into the side of the mountain and even yeah, and so you know, you hear about like natural elements like affecting energies and things like that, And there was a part downstairs where you would open up, like the closet under the stairs. There was another door in the closet you opened up, and the mountain is literally behind the door.
Speaker 1: Weird.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was very creepy. So fast forward to about like two thousand and seven. Unfortunately, my grandmother had gotten cancer and at this point she couldn't really be alone, and I was staying with her for the weekend. And my grandma had this like a night routine and that I don't know if TV still do this, but you could put the timer on the TV to like shut off after like thirty minutes or so, okay, and it was super loud. She couldn't hear anything. And I was on the phone with my husband.
Speaker 6: I was getting ready to go to bed, and I was turning off the life and I distinctly remember making a comment to him saying, oh, Grandma must be asleep because the house was like quiet, and this is it almost looks like big there.
Speaker 2: It was like you had neighbors, but not like right next door. Trees everywhere, and it was the quiet was almost loud, if that makes any sense. It was so quiet.
Speaker 1: Totally, and I wake up when it's too quiet, like I always had to have like a fan or something, and like, yes, anytime like I'm in a place where it's there, isn't that I can't. It's like it's like like I know exactly what you mean totally.
Speaker 2: So I remember the service was terrible. I had to get off the phone in the room, and I was in the room writing in a journal and it's so quiet, and out of nowhere, I hear a woman start singing. And you know that if you're like in your house and you hear your neighbors outside, you can tell it's your neighbors outside. There's a total difference when there is somebody on the outside of your door in your house, oh gosh. And it was a young woman. It was not my grandmother. And it was almost like when you're singing a song that you don't know the lyrics very well and you're just kind of singing the tune and it lasts right right, and so it was very quick, maybe like five seconds or so, and then it stopped and I was put fried, could not sleep. This is like my first paranormal experience ever. And I asked my mom the next day, like, have you ever heard this, because she's been staying there, and She's like, oh my god. It was a neighbor. They were getting out of their car, and I'm just like, all right, okay, total skeptic. She didn't believe any of it. So unfortunately, my grandmother ended up passing away like maybe six months to a year later. And this was in the market in California was awful, and my parents didn't want to sell the home yet, so like, you guys want to move in, so we're like sure, okay, So we moved in and the whole backside of the house was like windows and side and glass doors, and back in the day you could see like Catalina Island. From up here you can see Disney fireworks like it's pretty upligh. Oh yeah, it was beautiful during the day. But because my grandmother loved that, she had no curtains, no blinds, nothing, so at night at night they turned into like mirrors. You know.
Speaker 1: Oh I hate that is my biggest My best friend Sam Pancake form of podcast, because he has no problem with no curtains and that drives me insane at nighttime when people could see in mass.
Speaker 2: Yes, I pictured the strangers at the bottom of the hill, just like plotting my desk down below. I couldn't handle it. But we had just moved in and they were all customed. They were huge, so we had to like order them. So we didn't have any curtains or blinds at this point. And my best friend was over and we were having a game night and she was facing into my dining room and we're just chatting whatever, and she tells me. She pulls me aside. However, long later and she goes, I need to tell you something, and I'm like, okay, what happened. She's like, there was a man walking in your dining room. I was like what, And it was like clear as gay, Like she even saw the reflection in the in the windows.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And she said he had sandy brown hair, older man, a mint colored sweater, khaki pants, like described it all to me, and I was like, oh my gosh. But her mom has seen things before, like they're very sensitive to that and she is like the most level headed person ever. So it was so bizarre.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And then yeah, it was crazy. And I of course had no idea. You know, I'd never seen anything like that before.
Speaker 1: So there's two ghosts, yeah, or it could be a man with a lady voice. I listen, it's they they exist. Don't ask me how I know.
Speaker 2: I believe it.
Speaker 4: I believe it.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's that's the second thing that had happened. Well after that, we were getting settled and everything and and you'll understand this because you live in California. But and I don't know if you felt the earthquake yesterday that we had, but when oh yeah, it was in like Wildemart. But when you hear like you can almost hear an earthquake coming before it hits.
Speaker 1: Sometimes yeah, you can hear the yes.
Speaker 2: And you can like brace yourself. Well, like I said, like half the house, like the whole backside the house was windows and siding, glass doors, and I'd be just sitting It would happen in the daytime, like any time of day. I'd just be sitting there and all the doors and the windows would start shaking. Nothing else, just the windows and doors.
Speaker 1: Would you look like an earthquake?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I mean eventually I realized like, okay, this is this just this again, it's not an earthquake. But it was the craziest thing because it was I would like look for other things to shake, and I wouldn't feel anything.
Speaker 1: Because when you live in La, there's this thing on social media, or in California when or probably any earthquake area where social media, there's always got to be that one person that has to be the first one that's like, there's an earthquake, I'm the first one.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I feel like anytime I feel something shake like that, I check right.
Speaker 2: Away, exactly, Yeah, and it'll just be a status that just as earthquake, nothing else.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 5: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: So that was like a really weird thing that would happen. At one point, my husband and I were getting right, this is like a split level home it was very weird. We lived down a private driveway and the stairs were like in the middle of the house, and it was this dark, like dungeony area. There's no windows, just in the middle of the house and you just had to walk straight down into the middle the downstairs, and we were right in that area. Always crazy goes out and we saw dead in our tracks. We were both talking like whatever, getting ready to go, and we both looked at each other because one of us thought we heard a gaul coming from downstairs, and one of us thought it was maybe like a weird laugh. And my husband went down there, checked everything out. Nothing, couldn't find anything. One night, we were sleeping and the bed started to shake. I don't I can't remember if that happened more than once, but my husband distinctly remembers that we were awoken one night to like a massive violent crash. We got up nothing, couldn't find anything that was disturbed. Nothing. We had a few cats and a dog and they would do like the typical fit in the corner and look up into the you know, ceiling, which was always Yeah, it was not so not great.
Speaker 1: But your mother grew up there. I mean, did you know any of like the history of like what that could have been.
Speaker 2: No, well, she was such a skeptic, like anytime I even brought anything up to her, she didn't believe anything. Nothing.
Speaker 1: Wow. So there was never family stories. Grandma didn't have stories. Nothing like that.
Speaker 2: No, nothing interesting. So I mean, there is something that I'll get to that and then it might make a little bit more sense.
Speaker 1: But okay.
Speaker 2: So and then, uh, one time I was sitting in the bedroom and something slashed across the mirror as I was sitting on the bed, and there was nothing else in there with me. So that's kind of like your run of the mill like creepy stuff that happened. Well, fast forward like a year or so into living there, and I was at I think it was my mom's house, and we were going through old photos and I find this photo of her dad, who I had never met, who died before I was born, with sandy brown hair, in a mint colored sweater with khaki camps. Okay, And I ended up finding out later he died in the home. But she didn't want to tell me that, saying, God, you know why I was living there, you know, because she figured that would scare me. So that was kind of that was like the moment where it kind of like she got a little bit like, Okay, maybe maybe there is something going on. Well, this was probably like a year or two into us living into the house, and it was my birthday and we decided we wanted to go. We were married on the Queen Mary. Actually the Queen Mary.
Speaker 1: I'm going to the Queen Mary in a couple of weeks. I have a room booked at one of the famous haunted rooms. I'm going with some B three forty that sounds about right, Yeah, okay, and we're going to stay up all night and see what happens.
Speaker 2: Oh you have to Okay. Well, so we were married there in two thousand and six and it just has always held such a special place and so we go back all the time, all the time, go Christmas, whatever. Well, this particular year, we decided to stay in the suite a suite there with my husband sisters, and we decide we're going to go ghost hunting. And this was like pre like iPhones and stuff, so you you had to like buy digital recorders and that sort of thing. And so we got one and we're we're at home and we're trying to figure out how to use it, and my husband has a genius idea to test out in our bedroom. So he by himself goes into our bedroom and starts asking, you know, your typical like is anyone here kind of questions, and he comes out and he goes, there's something on the recorder. I was like, okay, And we always watch ghost Hunters and all those shows that like, we knew the process, we knew what it was like, and sure enough there was an EVP, not an ev please, and not an evy please at all weird as day. And it was almost like the best way I can describe it is like if you know someone who's trying to whisper, but they're not a very good whisper, and they're still really loud.
Speaker 1: They're trying to, like my children, try to whisper something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally, and it's a man in a rassy voice that says get out, no, yeah, in my bedroom.
Speaker 1: That's not grandpa.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what I always wondered, and I have I may have a conclusion that I'll tell you about when I get to the story. So I have lots of stuff to tell you. So we go to the Queen Mary and this was Actually they have like regular ghost hunting like tours or ghost tours there that you can just take I think, like every day, but this was like a specific like event with like I think it was like a medium or a psychic or something along those lines. And so she took us into the pool area. And I hope you get to see that when you go, because it's unlike anything I've ever seen. It's like a two story pool area. The pool is like fifteen feet deep or more like it's crazy. And they actually claim that the vortex is in that area and there's changing rooms into the pool, but.
Speaker 1: It's not like a pool that like guests can swim in, right.
Speaker 2: No, it's drained now yeah, totally drained. Yeah yeah, no, you can't get in it. But it's very deep. It's crazy. And they say there's a little girl, Jackie who's in the pool area. So they claim so I don't know if you've ever heard of dousing rods for like okay, so she had those and split our group into two.
Speaker 1: What that is is like you hold these two rods and like what they cross, like you asked yes or no questions, right yeah, And they.
Speaker 2: Kind of look like metal coat hangers that like have bent to like an L shape. Yeah, yeah, and they I think people you see use them back in the day to find water like back in the day, but don't quote me on that, but they they'll like spin around and all that kind of stuff. And I mean they were kind of spinning around, not not doing anything too crazy. The first group goes into the changing room. We're watching people, and my husband's like, take them, take them, like, you know, try it, and I, you know, took them, and all of a sudden, they just started spinning as I held on to them, and I didn't really know what it meant, Like I can't remember if there were any questions being asked or anything, but I mean, there's no way that you can spin them around in your hand. There's just no way. And so I ended up like giving them to a man because it was our term to go into the changing room. And that's where the craziest part happens, because he took the dowsing rods and they both like faced me and slowly followed my path the entire way from where I handed them off, all the way around the pool. As I entered into the changing rooms, they followed me step by step. So then the lady came and like got me in the changing room to tell me like what happened and everything. So that that was a really crazy experience. And we more recently have caught like voices just like doing home videos on the Queen Mary watching my kids run around and stuff. It's definitely a very interesting place for sure.
Speaker 1: Well, if you get a good EVP, send it to me sometimes.
Speaker 2: You know what I should if I can, if I can like find the videos that we took, I'll email them to you. It was, it was, It was pretty crazy. So anyway, so that was like most of what happened in the house. But one more thing is so I listened to her episode obviously with Elena the Medium. Yeah, and I was like, I need to talk to her for obviously some personal reasons, but I also wanted to see if she could give me any insight to what happened at the house.
Speaker 1: Oh and.
Speaker 2: Yes, so I just talked to her like a week ago. Maybe I had a reading with her. Way, Yes, I love her. I've gone in her like lives and we've like chatted. She's awesome. I love her. So if anybody needs a reading, contact her for sure.
Speaker 1: And she was like, she's not paying us to say this stuff, like we genuinely meanilus's And so.
Speaker 2: We chatted about, you know, stuff about me whatever, and then I said, you know, I just I'm just wondering, you know, is there Could you tell me anything about the house that I lived in? And because I've always wondered, was it my grandpa doing these things?
Speaker 1: You don't live there anymore? Huh do you live there still?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Oh gosh no no no, no, no no no. Yeah, moved out maybe like seven years ago, so it's been a while. Yeah. So, uh, we talked about the house a little bit, and she goes, the woman was completely residual. She was a total residual hunting, hunting and then which means she didn't even like know she was dead. She said, got it. And then she goes, but she's like, I'll tell you right now, that was not your grandpa doing all that stuff. And she said, that was a complete evil entity in your home. And he picked up on my energy. I'm very open and things like that, and she said that he just paid step on that energy. And I'm you know, you always hear that fear can feed that sort of stuff too. So I'm sure that that had something to do with it, because it was terrifying. But she said he could even describe him to me. She could even like kind of visualize the entity, and she said that he looked like he was like super tall, but he was actually just very lanky, so it was kind of like he wasn't as tall as he looked.
Speaker 1: She also told me that a tall, kind of lanky guy has a crush on me and I should date him. Do you think it's him?
Speaker 2: I hope not.
Speaker 4: I really hope not.
Speaker 2: Stay away, not goodbye? Oh okay, okay, never mind, totally totally so.
Speaker 1: But but but that was your grandfather that was in the dining room, right, Yes, there was just afore.
Speaker 2: Even yeah, oh yeah, yeah, at least those three for sure. And you died before I was even born. So my best friend that I met in sixth grade definitely isn't gonna know what he looks like either, you know, let alone seeing the picture of him wearing the exact outfit that she had seen.
Speaker 1: That this is such a good haunted house, Like you've got all the elements here, like you've got all the things that have happened, and then you also have like that scene from the movie where you're looking through old photos and then you find the jokes. Yeah, that's amazing. Ladies and gentlemen. We are joined by Arena Hi Rena, Hi Ros. Where are you from?
Speaker 5: Originally I'm from Arizona, but right now I live in Los Angeles, California.
Speaker 1: Love it me too. Have we ever met before?
Speaker 5: Oh? My god, maybe we have. I don't know. You come to thee the Tamo Shanter the restaurant, I know, but I've never been.
Speaker 1: It's it's like at Water Village, right. Is that that's technically at water Village.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's that Atwater Village Lost Le's area. It's literally on Los Le's Yeah.
Speaker 1: I passed by it all the time.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, you should come.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I should.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 5: The restaurant itself kind of looks like a cottage. The inside sort of looks like Mister Toad's Wild Ride at Disneyland Fun and it's like a cool like yeah, like British manor kind of pub stle restaurant. So when I started working there, I was like, this place has to be haunted. It's ninety seven years old.
Speaker 2: Wow, I know.
Speaker 5: It's the oldest family owned restaurant in La there's a few that are older, but it's like it's the one that's been owned by single family the longest, so that's where it claimed the same. Wow. But yeah, So my my first thing to do when I like meet anybody is like, tell me a ghost story, and then I can determine if I can continue to hang out with a person.
Speaker 1: It sounds like.
Speaker 5: If they're like, uh, what, you're weirdom like goodbye, No, not my people. So but of course everybody there is like super excited to talk about their stories because everybody has one. And my favorite is, uh, we had a dishwasher who was this like really tall, burly guy, like didn't take shit from anybody, afraid of nothing. And one day he was taking his break in this room that we call the guard's room, which is actually, funnily enough, the room that they filmed Dwight's bachelor party in in the final the final episode of The Office.
Speaker 1: Oh cool, like we're in that.
Speaker 5: They're in that British pub that's the Tamila Shanter. So that scene was filmed in this room. So this guy was sitting in there and there's like a big sliding wooden door that we shut to like close it off as a break room for staff. And he was in there alone and he sees something out the corner of his eye and he looks up and it's a little boy, and he was just like what And it's just a little kid that's standing there, and he's like stringing hers over his face. But the weirdest part about the little boy is but he's butt naked, what I know. And then this naked little boy just walks past him and walks directly into a law and disappears.
Speaker 1: Okay, weird.
Speaker 5: Child ghosts are the most terrifying. It's been established many times on this show.
Speaker 7: But honestly, I don't think I've ever heard child ghost I've never heard of any naked ghosts. It's so weird because, like you know, obviously, in my mind, I like to believe that you can, you know, choose whatever outfit you want.
Speaker 1: To wear as a ghost. But yeah, you would think so, but uh, I guess you could choose to be naked. Who knows. But other people have seen this little boy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's like a common story. People were like, oh, yeah, little boy, naked, little naked boy, he's just he's just chilling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess that's technically not you know, violating health codes if he's uh, you know, a ghost.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly, he's just he's just living his life. Another one of my favorite stories is we had two cleaning ladies quit one summer, not at the same time, like two weeks apart from each other, like this lady quit and then her replacement also quit. They were upstairs cleaning at like two in the morning and they saw a faithless woman upstairs.
Speaker 1: Faithless and I don't know what that means.
Speaker 5: I don't care to know what that means, but that sounds terrifying.
Speaker 2: Goodbye.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. So what have you experienced?
Speaker 5: Okay, so everybody has always told me that there's a ghost that throws things, shot glasses, plates, whatever, and there's a lot of things that will happen where it kind of doesn't really catch you off guard because it's so weird when it happens, and it's like, oh, I thought I'd put that over there, but now it's over here, or now it's on the floor, and it's just like, oh, well, maybe it fell or whatever, but it's just like it was ghosts Was that an a cool boy?
Speaker 1: But something iceless? Woman. She doesn't know where she's putting things. She can't say it doesn't have a face.
Speaker 2: No, that's face.
Speaker 5: You can't blame her. So something finally actually super weird happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I had a couple of cakes in the oven, and I had propped to open the refrigerator door so that I wouldn't have to open it while I was carrying the hot pan. So I went around the corner, I got my cakes out of the oven, and I came back around to walk into the refrigerator. And then I see somebody walk into the refrigerator that's propped open. It walked into the refrigerator like through the open door, but the door is open like towards me. So I'm seeing this person walk on the other side of the door, and I just barely caught what he looked like, and it didn't register as like who is that to me? Because he was about the same like height and build as our dishwasher, and he was wearing a baseball hat and a chef's coat, which is like what everybody wears who works in the kitchen, and so just thinking that it was a person that I knew or a person who worked there. As soon as I came around the corner, like in a restaurant, you yell corner because if somebody's setting something down in the refrigerator and they come back out, you don't want them to run into you or your hot cake pan. So I yell corner and walk around the corner and there's nobody in the refrigerator. So we got a chets go stepping here, and he wasn't in the freezer prior to the refrigerator, because then I was like, oh, that's weird. Maybe he went in the freezer. So I went and looked in the three and he's also not in there. And at that point, my chef comes in and he's like, what are you doing? And I was like, uh, like for stuff. And he's like, what are you looking for? And I was like go because at this point I'm like super freaked out. And he's like, what are you talking about? So I described what's just happening. He's like, that's weird. Let's go check the security tape. And I was like, oh my god, I'm gonna be stamous. I'm gonna be on freaking ghost adventures or something because I card ghosts on tape. And the tape is so weird because you see me in the tape look up at something that isn't there and take corner and then walk around the corner. But there's nothing on the tape. It's just me looking at hing. I know, I have chills.
Speaker 1: And that was the first time you ever saw a ghost there.
Speaker 5: Yes, it was so weird because they didn't even register it as a ghosts at the time because it wasn't like, whooh, it's scary. It was a solid person who just walked into the refrigerator. And then it was weird because there was nobody there and I'm like.
Speaker 1: Oh what okay, so I oh sorry.
Speaker 5: Go ahead, No, no, no, that's fine. I guess. I guess there's a lot that a lot of ghosts that are just like that. At the restaurant, Like there's an old lady that's in one of the rooms and people say that they see her and they're like, oh, we didn't see anybody there, and then they turn around she's gone. But she just looks like an old old lady.
Speaker 1: Does she order things and not?
Speaker 5: That's rude us dine and dashco.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's good, that's so weird. Why are there so many ghosts there? What is what is the history in this ninety seven years.
Speaker 5: I you know, I don't know, but a lot of servers have stories of like I don't know if I should say those like, but old people frequent the restaurant, and there have been a few people who have just had heart attacks and like fell down and died in this restaurant. Really, it just has a very like, uh, I don't want to call it like an oppressive energy, but you always feel like there's somebody in the room with you, even if the room is empty, Like it's just it's a presence that's anywhere you go in the restaurant. Yeah, super weird. But I think that old lady orders food sometimes because I sometimes help out to be a food runner, and when the servers put in tickets for food, they come up on our side like a little receipt machine will spend out a ticket and I'll say, like, oh, this table number needs this food, so we can start prepping it and the server will come back and get it from us, or we'll take it out to the restaurants. It's really busy. So I get a ticket and it has a salad on it. So we start prepping the salad and then time for it to come out, and I'm like, oh, what worse there is? So I look out in the restaurant and I'm like, Sarah, your salad's ready, and she's like what what solid I was like, the salad for table sixty three and she's like, there's nobody even at sixty three, and I was like okay. So I asked all the other servers. I was like, Hey, does anybody accidentally put in sixty three for the salad? And everyone's like no, literally no, we order salad. There's also nobody here, and so rather than throwing away the salad, we all just ate it, which is probably a bad thing because we're probably all curse now we go salad.
Speaker 1: Go salad. Wow, that's so weird. I'm I'm definitely gonna go now.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, please come visit. I mean, like, it's my favorite place to like take people, and the service staff is all amazing. Everyone there is so nice. I call everyone there my family, Oh, Tam Shanter and her family. So I when I got a full time job. After I started working there, I'm like, oh, I don't want to leave, Like it's so much fun. And my chef was like, you can just come in like a day week if you want to. He said, Oh my gosh, Like can I do that? So it's kind of like my hobby that I get paid for.
Speaker 4: Cool.
Speaker 5: It is really cool. I love boomer and it's just like it's a cool place to be.
Speaker 1: Oh that's nice to hear. And also the fact that everyone and has had ghost experiences there. It's nice that like they believe you, and you know, it's kind of cool that you guys can share that.
Speaker 5: Oh my god. Right, if I was like the only person, I would be mad. You'll be like espression. I was ninety seven, y'all, Like, you know, it's got to be haunted. But like everyone is totally bought into the fact that they're like, oh yeah, it's haunted, Like everybody has seen something. It's it's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Well that's it. Thank you so much.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, thank you so much. This is so fun.
Speaker 1: Yay, hopefully I get to meet you sometime. Come to the live show. It's gonna be in.
Speaker 5: Actually am.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 5: My best friend and I bought tickets like literally the day you announced it. Introduce me to the podcast and She's like, oh, so we're going.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we'll say well, we'll talk afterward after the show.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, please, I can't wait to meet you.
Speaker 1: I've been ghosted too, Hidi. Where are you?
Speaker 2: I am in Buffalo, New York. Can my car?
Speaker 1: Oh wow, Buffalo, New York.
Speaker 5: Cool?
Speaker 1: Thanks so much for being a listener.
Speaker 8: It's my pleasure.
Speaker 1: Okay, what is your ghost story? Heidi?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 8: The ghost story that I sent in is and has to do with back when I was in college and I was working overnights. I would be up all night when I was home and my now husband boyfriend at the time also worked at the restaurant. And one night he was there and I was home with our new puppy, and I took the puppy outside and the puppy did not want to go in and ran to the back of the garden. He was whimpering and scared. And when I looked back towards the house because my phone started ringing, I notice in the hallway in front of the window that looked outside a figure that looked like it was standing in that hallway looking out at us. It looked like someone in a hoodie. So I had assumed it was in a strange friend that we had kicked out recently and had come back to get some of his stuff. I went to get the dog from the back of the garden and he did not want to come, so I ended up picking him up and dragging him back. I had tried calling out to the figure in the hallway, but they did not respond, And when we got.
Speaker 2: Closer to the house.
Speaker 8: Yeah, when we got closer to the house, I realized that he wasn't there anymore than whoever was in the hallway, and the dog still didn't want to come inside.
Speaker 1: God, wait, did you think that?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 1: You literally like it didn't look like a ghost. You were like, that's an old friend and a hoodie.
Speaker 8: I thought, well, I've seen shadow people since then, so I thought maybe that was a connection, that it was like a shadow figure.
Speaker 2: But at the time I didn't know.
Speaker 8: What that was, and I thought it was a figure, like I thought there was an intruder or this person had come back to get some of his stuff, and I thought it was a person standing there. Basically, oh my god. Yeah, the dog didn't want.
Speaker 2: To go in.
Speaker 8: He was went brand, he was fighting me. I kind of dragged him back into the house. Whoever had been there was gone.
Speaker 2: The dog bolted past.
Speaker 8: Me into the inside of the house, and when I walked through the door, there's a basement door right there leading also back to the backyard into that hallway. The basement door kind of flew open and.
Speaker 1: Hit me.
Speaker 8: As though someone were in there and had, you know, shoved the door into me.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that freaked me out.
Speaker 8: So I fought back against it, and I pushed it against it, but I kept feeling someone like hitting it, like they were trying to bust it down. So I finally got it shut and I latched it and only locked from the outside. It was kind of one of those sliding locks. And yeah, so I could still hear them like trying to bust down the door from inside there, even though it was locked. And I went to get my phone and I called my boyfriend at the time working at the restaurant and told him someone was in the basement trying to get out and you.
Speaker 2: Know, confront me.
Speaker 8: They weren't talking to me, so I thought it was someone trying to attack us or you know, rob us. And I also called the police officer friend and he said that he would come over if if we needed him to, but to try to talk, you know, because I thought it was this friend of ours.
Speaker 1: Like who are you? Why are you at my house?
Speaker 8: I mean, you know, I was just loudly talking on the phone, you know. I was like, you know, I think, I think such and such is down in the basement and he's trying to bust out here and he's not answering me, you know. And some of my boyfriend at the time said that he would bring one of our coworkers with him because they were about to get off their shift, and that they would.
Speaker 5: Come talk to him.
Speaker 8: But I was still very freaked out, and even remembering it kind of freaks me out.
Speaker 2: The dog was hiding. The dog was freaked out, but I anyway.
Speaker 8: They came home and they went down into the basement. They were calling out to him whoever, and no one was answering. And when they got down there, there was no one there.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. What do you think the history was of the house.
Speaker 8: Of the house? I do not know, but a lot of creepy things did happen there while we were living there. We had other roommates who said they couldn't live there. Anymore because they were creeped out and that weird stuff was going on, but no one would give me details. It was a rental and we didn't know the landlord very well. We had had an upstairs neighbor when we moved in who passed away, but he was a very very kind person, so I can't see him like doing this malicious, like weird attack thing, whatever it was.
Speaker 1: Did anything else ever happen to you or your boyfriend at the time? Uh?
Speaker 8: Yeah, in that house, I saw.
Speaker 2: A figure at one point.
Speaker 8: It was like a full bodied figure and it was the middle of the day and I was it was like afternoon. I was home from school, sitting on the couch and somebody just walked by, but they I got up to be like, who are you?
Speaker 2: Why are in my house?
Speaker 8: And there was no one there anymore.
Speaker 1: I don't like that. Wait, did it look like the same person?
Speaker 8: I don't know, because this was like full bodied where I could actually see the person face and the original Like the first story I told you, it was just like the silhouette of a person wearing a hoodie, like sitting in the hallway.
Speaker 1: Interesting it sounds, here's my theory. I bet you it was a robber. Somebody broke into the house and they got shot and now they're stuck in being a robber. I don't know. This is just my guess. I mean, because it sounds like a neighborhood, it sounds aggressive, and if it sounds like they had a hoodie on, I mean, it sounds like a robber to me. But I don't know.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't be surprised.
Speaker 1: And this was in where'd you say Buffalo?
Speaker 4: This was in Buffalo.
Speaker 8: It was uh an area of the West Side near Buffalo State College.
Speaker 1: Wait, I don't know my New York geography outside of the city is that. How far away are you from Long Island?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 8: Okay, it's complete opposite, like near Lake Erie, Western New York.
Speaker 1: Oh okay. Because I was gonna ask about the Amneyville House. Have you ever seen it?
Speaker 5: I've not.
Speaker 4: I did read the book when I was younger.
Speaker 1: I love that stuff. It's so spooky. Okay, that's a spooky story. God, that was such a cool episode getting to hear from all the listeners, and I hope that you guys enjoyed that and we can do it again more frequently. So yeah, keep those ghost stories coming to me. You can send them on a five star review on Apple Podcasts. If you don't have a ghost story, you can still you know, give us a five star rating on Apple Podcasts, or you can send it in the Facebook group Ghosted by Roz dress VELAs may k I'm Instagram famous by following me at Roz dress Vales. I'm on Venmo Queen Roz, I'm on Cameo, Roz dress Vels. I'm everywhere that I could possibly be. So I love hearing from you guys so much, and I love seeing you in person. So you could actually see me this Saturday for a stand up comedy show that I'll be hosting at the world famous Hollywood Improv with my best friend and former podcast guest, Sam Pancake. And the show is called Rose's Humor Hoole. And that'll be at nine pm at the world Famous Hollywood Improv. And we have such an amazing roster of comedians. I'm talking Joel Kim Booster, who is one of the stars of the NBC sitcom Sunnyside. We've got Naomi ec Peragan, former podcast guest Greta Titelman, and more. So please come on out and see me I'd love to talk to you after the show. Also, please come to the live show if you haven't got your ticket yet. That will be on the nineteenth, the day before my birthday, which is October nineteenth, at eight pm at the Cavern Club Theater. If you haven't gotten your tickets yet, maybe there might be like one more left on the link in my bio on Instagram. I hope to see you there. Ah. I love you all, both living and dead. But if I didn't ask you to haunt me, don't haunt me, okay back
Speaker 5: Star Beans on Them a podcast network