Speaker 1: I think sometimes we love to focus in and get mesmerized by the sorrow part of it. You know, we get mesmerized by the problem. We stay limited to what hurts. And I'll tell you this, a hurting person wants to bond with other hurting people. But they also they're not going to stay in a movement that is only dealing with pain. They're going to stay in a movement that actually moves.
Speaker 2: This is it's okay that you're not okay, and I'm your host, Meghan Devine. This week on the show, activist and writer Malkia Devich Cyril on grief, love, and book bands, among other things. This episode is stunning. It has gifts for everyone, whether you're grieving a personal loss or you're interested in what it really takes to create a safer, kinder, more beautiful world. Settle in, everybody, and grab your notebok or some other note taking device, because you will absolutely need it right after this first break before we get started. Two quick notes. One, this episode is an encore performance. I am on break working on a giant new project, so we're releasing a mix of our favorite episodes from the first three seasons of the show. Some of these conversations you might have missed in their original seasons, and some shows just truly deserve multiple listens so that you capture all of the goodness. Second note, while we cover a lot of emotional, relational territory and our time here together, this show is not a substitute for skilled support with a license mental health provider, or for professional supervision related to your work. Take what you learn here, take your thoughts and your reflections out into your world and talk about it. Hey friends, Okay, now I have said this a bunch of times already the season, but I'm saying it again. The guests on this show have brought so much magic and medicine into my life. I hope they're doing something special for you too. Now, whether you're interested in social justice or not, there is no denying the grief simmering beneath the surface of everyday life. It's in our personal lives, it's in the news, it's in our communities. But the thing is, we never really talk about it. We don't really talk about how much grief connects us. If we learn to lean into that grief together, we might just create the beautiful world we all long for. We literally cannot get to that world without talking about grief. I've said this for a long time, but it is actually true. Not talking about grief is killing us. I first met today's guests through their article titled Grief Belongs in Social Justice Movements. Malchia de Cyril is a poet and a media activist. They are the executive director of the Center for Media Justice and a co founder of the Media Action Grassroots Network. Their writings on media, race, justice, and grief frequently appear in national publications such as Politico, The Guardian, The Atlantic. We're going to link to some of those show notes. Their work was also in the Oscar nominated documentary film Thirteenth Now Malka Knows Grief from the Inside Out. They cared for their spouse, the comedian and editor Alana Debt Cyril, through their death from cancer in twenty eighteen. We spent a lot of time in this episode talking about their relationship and their love. We actually get a well timed message from Alana herself during our conversation, so listen for that neat little drive by. Another relationship that figures heavily into our conversation today is Malchia's mother, Janet Cyril Janet was an activist in the Black Panther Party, So Malchia grew up surrounded by and immersed in justice and social action, but also grief. Some of that grief stemmed from the deaths in her community, but it was also ever present in her mother's chronic illness. You're going to hear about both of these women and their effect on Malchia's life right at the top of the show. I mean, we get into like really complex, nuanced issues in this episode, but we started, as all good stories do, talking about love friends. I am not exaggerating when I say that. Meeting Malchia, getting to spend time with them talking about grief and love and justice and the state of the world, it was one of the highlights of my life. We all have a part to play in this beautiful world, and I am so glad Mac is here playing theirs. I am really interested to hear what you think of this week's show, everybody. It was a truly magical experience for me, and I hope you love it too. Grief, love, action and belonging happening right now with Malchia Davitch Sira Okaiya. I am so happy to have you here with me today. I was just saying before we started rolling that we followed each other on Twitter for a long time. So I'm really glad to have you here with me.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having me. It's good to be here.
Speaker 2: I'm psyched, Okay, So getting ready for our time here together. I was drawn into what people wrote and what you've said about your relationship with your wife, Aalana.
Speaker 3: There's so much that I want.
Speaker 2: To get into today about grief and justice and media and collective grief, but I would really like to start with love.
Speaker 1: Always a good place to start.
Speaker 4: Isn't it.
Speaker 2: I mean, I know it's a good place to start because it chokes me up when I talk about it, like so much of what I read of you, and I promise everybody we're going to get into the background so you know what I'm talking about here. But so much of your writing is about grief and justice. One of my favorite things about you as a writer and you as a leader is that no matter how far you go, no matter what kind of rant you're writing or what you're trying to teach about grief and justice, you always come back to your wife.
Speaker 1: She and my mom are definitely the anchors in my life, and my greatest teacher is about grief.
Speaker 2: For sure, you kind of grew up with social justice with your mom and Black Panthers, Like, there's so much grief involved in social justice, But was that grief evident to you as you were growing up?
Speaker 1: You know, my mom besides being a founding member of the Harlem chapter of the Black Panther Party, my mom also had sickle cell anemia, which is a genetic and fatal disease. It did kill her at the age of fifty nine, but also, you know, it's something that you have from birth, so it's something that I knew about her having my entire life. So between the grief that is endemic to growing up black in America when mortality rates are so high and violence against black people is also so high, to the grief that comes with being a member of a movement that is targeted in response to those conditions, to the grief that comes from having a parent with a fatal illness that is absolutely going to kill them, there was no question about that, And the only question was when I think that I grew up with grief all around me, and so I don't see my experience with grief as separate from my experience as a black person, or separate from my experience as a movement leader, or separate from my experience as soone child. It's all kind of connected for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, was it directly spoken about when you were a child, all of those facets of grief.
Speaker 1: I don't know that the word grief was ever used. I think that my mom, for example, would say things like, it's up to you what kind of life you want to live. You know, these are emotions, but what we're talking about is actions, and so you know, she definitely taught me and my sister that sorrow and grief were not the same thing. That sorrow isn't an emotion. Grief is a set of activities and response to laws. And one is something that you don't really control. You don't control your emotions, you have them. And the other is something you do have some agency around and you can have some choice in, which is how you respond to the losses in your life. So she definitely played a hand in helping me to understand what I think grief is helping me to have some agency and control. Because she was so focused on having agency and control, she had to live with anticipatory grief, as does anyone with a fatal illness. My wife, Alana had struggle with the same same thing and so so. Speaking of Alana, my text messages are her voice saying I love you. So sorry I turned that off.
Speaker 2: Now, wait, did you just get a text message with Alana's voice saying I love you?
Speaker 1: I mean hear that? Okay, great, I couldn't hear it.
Speaker 2: But how beautiful is that? Right when we're talking about grief and sorrow and agency and sovereignty and all of these things, and then we have your wife chiming in to say I love you. I mean that could not have been I love this like this. That couldn't have been more beautifully timed. Thank you, Alana. Yes, I love this idea of the difference between and grief. I mean, I've been doing this work for ten years now, and I don't think I've heard that distinction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think for myself it was important for me to separate those things out because one, I think people believe that grief is sorrow, but in fact, you know, my wife was a comedian and when she was in hospice, I would say I spent the vast majority of the two years that my wife was aware of her metastatic cancer, trying to make her laugh, and there was a lot of fun times in that, you know. And there was a lot of laughter in that. I mean when she was in hospice, when we were trying to lift her on the hoyer lift to use the restroom, she requested that we sing theme songs from eighties comedy shows like The Brady Bunch, Facts of Life, Cheers, and we sang those songs, we belted them out. See that's grief too, you know. And especially if we're thinking about grief in terms of its utility for social change, we have to I think it's incumbent upon us to understand as movement leaders that sorrow melancholia is actually it's an important emotion to understand. But it's the transformation that's engagement of that emotion and the acknowledgment that joy is also present in grief. That's what becomes a motive force, that's what becomes mobilizing energy. And so if we want, if we want people's grief to turn into action, if we want it to transform into agency, we can't only engage with it at sorrow. That's not gonna work.
Speaker 2: Right, And that's different from that like binary of you're all healed and everything is ducky and you find the gifts in what's happened to you versus like collapsed in a corner in despair. I think, especially if you've just lost somebody or you just received a devastating diagnosis, it could be easy to hear what you just said as don't stay in sorrow, don't stay sad, make something out of it. And that's actually not what I hear you say.
Speaker 1: Say, not at all. In fact, I'm sad every day, you know, and I will be sad for the rest of my life. And I think that any black person in America is sad most days. I think that you can't be an immigrant in this country and not be sad. You know. The sadness is a critical crucial part of acknowledging the reality of our conditions. So I believe in sorrow, I believe in the night. I am one hundred percent a fan of the truth. I think that the difference is that joy is also the truth, and there's you know, the point is not to exclude sorrow. It is to include joy, it's to include anger. It's to allow ourselves the full range of what acknowledging loss means. When I think of my mom, she lost her life at fifty nine years old. She was a brilliant, beautiful woman who has survived so much. And there's nothing sadder to me except another brilliant, beautiful woman, my wife, losing her life at forty two. And yet these were funny women. These are women with strength and bigger and brilliance, and so I just want the whole story, that's all. And I think, as a strategist and as a movement leader, and as the Left, I think sometimes we love to focus in and get mesmerized by the sorrow part of it. You know, we get mesmerized by the problem, you know what I mean. We stay limited to what hurts. And I'll tell you this, a hurting person wants to bond with other hurting people. But they also they're not going to stay in a movement that is only dealing with pain. They're going to stay in a movement that actually moves. They need a movement that moves. And so that's kind of what I'm when I'm what I'm talking about is grief. That is the full range of our responses to lass and not just a limited singular, binary response.
Speaker 2: I want to get into a specific thing here. It's funny like some of my questions were about social justice and some of them were about personal loss, and I kind of knew coming into this that those are the same thing, right, But I love that in just a few short minutes you have erased many of my questions. That is that is a sign of some brilliance there. And I so appreciate the ways that you include everything in the ways that you speak personal and collective. After your mom died, you wrote the incongruence between working daily to heal the world but being unable to save my mother's life was powered by the illusion of my control over life and death, an entire worldview centered on my failure. Yes, can you tell me what you mean by that?
Speaker 1: You know, from my deeply personal experience both watching my mom sick and die and watching my wife Alana sick and die. You know if I as an organizer, you know you're trained to take action. You know, in fact, the whole point is mobilizing your agency and developing the agency of others because you believe that something can be done. That is the entire analysis behind the strategy of organizing something can be done to confront illness that is absolutely going to lead to death. Nothing can be done, Nothing can be done. That's the feeling anyway, It's actually not the total reality, but the feeling is death is the strongest boundary the world has to offer, you know, and it cannot be violated. It will not be violated. And so this feeling that that I tried so hard, you know that I that I did everything that I could to try to extend my mom's life. My sister did too. I did everything I could to try to extend my wife's life and I couldn't do it. Or then again, maybe I did do it. You know, we'll never know what the original what the real date was supposed to be or whatever. But that's the feeling, right that I tried and failed. And that's a perspective, you know, that's a that's a way of thinking. I know it's not wholly true, but it is how it feels.
Speaker 2: This is something that's so common I think for people, the say of failure, Yeah, right, that I did everything I could and it wasn't enough, and this is my fault, right, And I love I love how you frame that that this is a feeling and it's real and it's not the whole story. And I think what we tend to do when we hear somebody say I failed is talk them out of that failure.
Speaker 1: Yes, And I hate that it doesn't work. We talked out of my feelings period. And also it's disrespectful. It's like, I'm intelligent, I'm very clear, it's a feeling and not a fact. I know that, but nevertheless, it's what's happening. You know, that's what's happening. And I prefer to be met, and I think most people prefer to be met and agreed then persuaded out of it. And like you said, it doesn't work to be persuaded anyway.
Speaker 3: It doesn't.
Speaker 2: It's just it makes people feel misunderstood.
Speaker 1: Yes, right.
Speaker 2: And as a support person, as somebody who cares, that feels counterintuitive, right, Like, if you think that your job is to make somebody feel better, it basically then you were going to talk them out of their own truth and their own feelings. And that's ineffective.
Speaker 1: Think about that on a more global scale, Think about that in terms of strategy, in terms of narrative strategy. You know, if you as a left narrative strategist are saying, you know, instead of acknowledging the terror that folks are experiencing around gun violence, around crime, we're going to only talk about the systemic aspects of that. What you're really doing is trying to persuade people out of their grief, out of their fear, out of their out of their authentic emotions, and move them with that kind of persuasion. It doesn't, It doesn't. It's not effective, you know, it's not effective, and I think ultimately we just don't understand it grief, you know, we don't understand it, and it messes with our strategy. It messes with our relationships, you know, and it messes with us our inside. You know. Absolutely.
Speaker 4: Okay, let's get back to this honestly amazing conversation with Malchia da Vitch Cyrol.
Speaker 2: You bring up a really cool point here. You know, if we just focus on gun violence for a second, when a new public gun violence events very predictably irrupts, and you know, people who care about this issue are quick to jump on social media and be like, show the pictures, do this, do that, and like this is so important. We have to do something and make people understand. And I feel like another casualty in that are the people's whose kid was just shot, whose sister was just killed, Like, yes, yes, we jump to justice, and how will we change this and make it stop? I think we leapfrog over the intimate in those situations.
Speaker 1: What we're leapfrogging over is belonging, you know, And and the issue here is this, you know, honestly, there's a reason why in these moments, after the shooting of black folk in Buffalo at the supermarket, or you know, after after you know, the shooting in of Valde you know, of these beautiful children, or after the millions of people who died from COVID, you know that these very organic parent led or survivor led actions and organizations evolved. You know, you have these these parents now, you know, who are very vocal in social media, very vocal on the news, and yet there is a disconnect between them and social movements. We organize social movements, and I think the disconnect is a grief disconnect. You have these folks who are passionately responding, and some of them are very vocal about specific policy changes. They want to see something happen, you know, they want to, as part of their own healing, protect other children, other people from what has happened to their child or their loved one. But there's a reason why they're not necessarily involved in an organized social movement, because the movement is not prepared to pause and do the part that's about belonging, do the part that's about listening, and that's about building relationship and intimacy, that's about engaging in that collective grief process, or institutionalizing even a collective grief process into the organization. None of that is happening. What's happening is the policy fight, you know, and then then you shrink, diminish, and in my view, disrespect a complex, painful experience. You shrink it into a spokesperson a sound bite, and that is not respectful and it's not appropriate. But also it's bad strategy. It's bad narrative strategy, it's bad organizing strategy. And I think we can do better, and we would do better if organizationally, we had new ways to embody grief as leaders and as institutions.
Speaker 2: This is part of your your radical loss project. Right What you're talking about, what you're describing right now, is there's the project is about giving activists and movement organizations what we need to catalyze grief for change. That's the work that you're doing to mobilize what you just described, right, like bringing grief and belonging and finding new ways to acknowledge that grief as a way to power change instead of the leap to a spokesperson that we see.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: Fascinated by this, and I love you and your work so much and I don't know nearly enough about it what I hear you saying or the way that I understand that. In my head, the image I have is like you're putting the wheels on the bus, right, Like we started out talking like I think in pictures, but this, like, if we want the world that we long for to come into being, we have to find a way to grieve together strategically and humanly.
Speaker 1: I think it boils down to this, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So either as a people we lean into the truth of our lost and we lean into grief together. Either we do that, and what we get from that is we get true citizenship, we get a new social contract, we get new ways of being a community, We get people who if you acknowledge loss, then You're going to think about the criminal justice system differently. If you acknowledge loss, you're going to think about the foster care system differently. If you acknowledge loss, well, you're going to actually think about the south and reparations differently. You know, like it changes your entire worldview to honestly and profoundly and authentically acknowledge loss and be in a grief process. Grief is a political process. Grief is inherently about our ability to govern ourselves. You know, we can only govern ourselves who we're rooted in reality, in the truth, and loss is the truth of the world. And so or or we can go a different direction. We can go the direction that the right has gone in this country, which is that we erect monuments to maintain a fixed focus on the past. We want to hold on to the way things used to be. We want to hold on to the status quo of power relations. Because we refuse to engage with loss, We reject loss as a part of life. We maintain privilege as a protection against loss, and our whole racial hierarchy and dynamic is a fight between producing loss for some and protecting from loss for others. And so I think that if we could actually understand grief differently, if we could learn to grieve differently. It's not just about our personal healing and well being. We're talking about the transformation and healing of a nation, of a world, the transition of power relations We're talking about new ways of understanding history. In fact, book bannings are all about ignoring grief. They're all about saying, I don't want you to I don't want to think about that. That's a denial of grief, is what that is. I don't want to acknowledge that I or any when in my ancestry participated in the taking of life, the destroying of life. There is a denial of grief. And so this is a more spiritual journey, but it is also a political journey. And so I just that's kind of like my work is about understanding that relationship. It's about then transitioning that understanding into new ways of organizing, new forms of organization, new strategies. As we confront what is a growing emerging fascism here in the United States and around the world, we are set for extreme loss of life. We are going to see extreme loss of life if we don't understand grief as a part of our changed strategy. We will not be ready. We will not be ready. And the kind of governing systems that emerge during extreme loss of life can either be radically focused on living. There will be living, after all, or they can be radically focused on denying that living and denying that grief, and that is fascism. So those are our choices, and grief is right at the is the pivot point.
Speaker 2: I need a second because I don't know if you noticed it, and certainly in the recording no one can tell. But this is life saving to me. That the way that I view the world is like grief is that pivot point. Right, Grief is that Rosetta stone that unlocks the beautiful world and the just worlds, and refusing to feel with each other creates the violent, disconnected world. And it's it's interesting, like I'm preparing for another conversation later today and this idea that we're recording, this conversation during Pride Month, and the hatred against the queer community and the trans community, especially queer people of color. It's like you see yourself reflected in someone and you hate that reflection and it causes emotions. It causes sensations, it causes feelings, and because we don't have a structure within which to be tender to ourselves, within which to listen to those swirling emotions, we otherize them. Right. We destroy the thing that makes us feel discomfort in our own beings, and we're like so unaware of the mirror of the world and so ill equipped to greet our our own stew of emotions with kindness and tenderness and curiosity that it's like the only option we've made available to us is to destroy that which makes us feel it. That's right, And we don't have those conversations, right. I think that sometimes we say, like, oh, you know, if you're so angry at this queer person, you're a closet queer person. Like, okay, that may be accurate, but it's also like assaultive language.
Speaker 3: How do we even begin to build collective structures for engaging with grief our own and the grief of the world in a way that furthers the world that we long for?
Speaker 1: I mean, I think ultimately the organizing strategy is about engaging with people at the point of pain, and many people who believe in justice and who seek a more just future tend to engage more at the point of promise and like, this is what could be and we believe in that vision. And that's beautiful and I love that, you know, and people do need alternatives and we do need to offer new ways of seeing the world. But you know, people go to church, they go to the doctor, they go to these opioid clinics, they go to twelve step programs. People go to places certain places because they are in pain, and it is at those places that the right shows up. In fact, after a natural disaster, you know, there are many cities and towns across this country when people are reeling from tremendous loss of life. They have no water, they have no electricity. It is right wing militias that are driving around in trucks to deliver gas, to deliver water. Because there is something that is understood about strategy, which is, you know, in these moments of breakdown, this is when you can reorganize the world. And grief loss, I'll say, is a moment of breakdown when you lose someone, when your reality breaks because someone who was in your life no longer is, they're not in the world, they're gone. Reality breaks. There's a somatic meltdown almost right that you go through you are ripe or human reorganization, yes, and either you can be reorganized by your own hopes, your own dreams. You can be reorganized by meaning that comes from a movement that is about your greatest good you know, that is about belonging, that is about your safety, that is about your dignity. Or you can be reorganized by profit. You can be reorganized by privilege, You can be reorganized by rage. Organizing at the point of pain means that you are going to be standing in the suffering and being part of the reorganization whatever that looks like. You know, for me, that is something that I that I believe we find it difficult to do. You know, progressive movements have not always found that easy to do. But I think that's why doctor King went from city to city. Why you know when he was assassinated, he was going to be organizing with the garbage strike, because you go to organize at the point of pain and engage and build the meaning at that point, right, And and that's why you know, who wrote that book about the role of meaning, I don't remember who wrote that book, but about yeah, about the role of meaning grief, and that to me is something that as an organizer I have to understand and we've done that to some degree. You know, every time a black person is killed by the police, there is a set of people that goes to that city, you know, that sits with those parents, that engages you know. But have we built a movement of grief parents. No, we haven't, And there's consequences to that. We've seen those parents picked off move to the right. We've seen how influx of resources can you know, create harm and dissonance amongst bereeved peoples. I guess what I'm saying is the right knows full well that grief is a terrain for organizing, that grief is a terrain for strategy. The question is do we know it? Do we know it? Does everybody else? Because if we knew it, I think we could use what we know to even break down the partisan the part of and barriers. You know, everybody grieves, we all face loss. The question is what is our organized response to it. That's what I'm trying to figure out. A lot of my work is experimentation, some of it is responsive. I run a grief group for activists, but it's relationship based, you know, I don't. It's not just like anybody come in there, you know, you know, you have to ask some love, love, security so that people can be have their full range of emotions. You know. I run something on Sundays called Pandemic Joy. It's like church, but it's not church, you know, it's a secular We sing, we meditate, We hear from people in the community, all at the intersection of loss and leadership, joint justice, you know, grief and gratitude. I do events. I just do them. I'm actually I don't get paid to do any of that. You know. I'm starting to build resources for some future work, you know, some research and writing a book. But you know, up until this point, it's just odd just being I just do what I want to do because I think was needed is what I needed, and so I figured it is what somebody else needed to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's that human at the core. Right as I'm listening to you, I'm thinking, like this all sounds powerful and amazing and necessary, and it is sort of looping back to where we began our conversation. For me, it's like we can't do any of that until we learn to acknowledge the truth of somebody's grief without trying to cheer them up or take it away from them. So we go back to like acknowledgment as the core for me, and that like that tender little spot at the moment of dissolution, if you are not met with somebody or met with the skills to acknowledge the truth of your own experience without being cheered up or talked out of it or weaponized weaponizes maybe the wrong word here, but like weaponized in service of the movement, Like there are so many ways that that moment of loss and dissolution can be influenced, and if we can't start from the ground of everyone is sovereign in their own experience, and our role is not to make them stop feeling it, but to help them feel safe enough.
Speaker 1: To feel it.
Speaker 2: Like that is the work. The work isn't about erasing grief or using your grief as fuel. It's how do we come to this both intimate and universal experience and honor it in ourselves and honor it in each other. And it's only from that respect and acknowledgment that we can go in certain directions.
Speaker 1: It's true, but I want to be clear. I think, yeah, grief is fuel, whether you try to make it that or not. It is governing you right one way or another. It's organizing how you understand the world. It's organizing what choices you make. The difference is when somebody tries to make it your fuel, you know, when somebody tries to come in and direct it for you, you know, it's not helpful, it's not healing in the backfires. But I'm really clear that every social movement known to man has been fueled by grief. You know, every social movement is a response to loss of some kind, whether it's on the side of justice or on the side of the status quo, and you know, profit and privilege, it is still a reaction to some kind of loss, realor pacy. And so we I think for us understanding that, understanding the role that that grief plays. To me, it's like this, either we move toward agency and action or we move toward alienation and apathy. But in any way you think about it, we definitely move. Grief moves us.
Speaker 2: Thank you for that. That's a good clarification that all that grief is fuel in and of itself. And the difference is do other people tell you what to do with it, that's right. I mean this is like do other people tell you what to do with your body? Do other people tell you what to do with you that like nah manjo own damn business. But yeah, that that you know from the outside, especially you know in these sort of I'm going to use the word sensationalized death and that's not really the word that I want, but we'll roll with it. Like these very public deaths, let's put it that way, high profile, high profile. Thank you for that phrase. That's more accurate. Like that, those high profile deaths, like the way that we greet that is, make meaning out of it, do something about it, Start a movement, do a foundation, which you know, if you if your person was killed by a drunk driver, and a lot of the support you're going to get back is like join mothers against drunk driving, like advocate for this. And you're like, I can't manage to bathe myself. Can we talk about that instead of like, right, push me to jump to a movement. I think jumping to you a quote unquote movement is one of the ways that we bypass grief.
Speaker 1: Well, let me say this, this is how I think about it. But movements should actually be a place that comes to your house and cleans your house. You know. It should be a place that brings you some food. You know, it should be a place that tastes come take care of your kids when you are too broken to move about. It's not about not jumping to a movement. Is that movement should be different, you know, movement, movement. All the movement is is a community. All it is if you're doing it right, right, it's about belonging plus meaning that's it, you know, and then you move into action. The thing is when we missed the belonging part. And I hate when people talk about belonging because people be onesome, like, oh, we just all need to be love each other and blah blah blah. And I know that belonging is also about power. I don't want to get that twisted. But when you are trying to build power, you're trying to build power to prevent future loss, you know, mechanized loss. Loss that is the product of inequality, right, that is the point. That's what movements are for. They are to protect against and to prevent the kind of mass loss that comes from inequality. They are to build something that allows for that not to happen, and so they're necessary in the grieving process. It's necessary, but it's not first. The first thing is to be met with community. The first thing should be, you know, I think, to be held in whatever place you're in, and that is where we don't have infrastructure. Movements should have support groups where they are, you know. In fact, that's part of the difference between the Mother's Against Drunk Driving and you know a lot of the community organizing group says you join Mothers against Drunk Driving, you will get a support group. You join the you know, a lot of the fights against gun violence, you're not going to see that. And so like there's some interesting infrastructure that's just totally missing, you know, like I have not seen another specific support group. I've seen very few rather support groups for activists, you know, and I've seen very few places where activists can go and engage with their grief. There are some places where we are doing embodiment, which in some ways is about being connecting in with authentic emotion, of authentic emotional sorrow, authentic experience and breed. Folks who are in the Healing Justice movement, you know, have been offering us, you know, various ways of engaging embodied grief, but it still remains very individualized, you know. And how do we move that into collective process? How do we move from individual loss to individual grief, from individual grief to collective grief, from collective grief to public mourning, from public mourning to movement action. This is the process to me, you know, But we missed the whole first part, you know, we missed that. And that's what I hear you talked about that bypass is moving past the emotions, the strong emotions, to the action that doesn't work, But ignoring the action also doesn't work. Right, We need both. We need both in order for us to survive as a people. We need both. I healed, I continue to heal, and I don't even honestly believe in healing. Let me not use that word. I move toward living. Every time I run a group, every act of service for me helps me move toward living. But in those acts of service, I have to bring my wife with me. I have to bring my mom with me. You know. I spent a year after my wife died caring for my friend Siya, who is also suffering from metastatic cancer. And she died one year after my wife. Did you know I spent the months directly following my wife's death with partnering with my sister and her friends to care for our god sister, who also died just a few months after my wife died. All of these are young black women, and in that time frame, I mean, we lost so many people, none of them to COVID or very few of them to COVID, but we lost so many people. And the only way to survive that is to be in community. The only way to survive that is to do something, to feel like you can do something about it, to transform the conditions that produced it. So basically, I'm saying yes and yes, we need to be in that space of authentic emotion. We need to let people go through their process. We need to meet people where they at. We need to say, yeah, be sad, be everything that you are, and we need to meet them with an opportunity for them to move because stagnation that don't work either, You know that don't work either. So figuring out what we can offer folk that gives them a chance to connect to meaning as well as a chance to connect to authentic emotion. That's kind of how I engage with with that.
Speaker 2: I have so many things I want to talk about with you, but I also want to be conscious of our time. And you've kind of answered my closing question in the course of our entire time together. But I'm going to ask you anyway because it's specific through your whole life and through the inheritance of your mom and everything that you've been through, Like you keep your eyes and your heart open to things that, as we've talked about in our time together, a lot of people like to pretend don't exist, right because it hurts too much. Knowing what you know and living what you live the things that you keep your eyes and your heart and your hands in. What does hope look like for you?
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's funny because you know, my mom named to be Malkiya Amala and that means queen of Hope. Now I always say she got the gender wrong, but she got the hope part right for me. You know, we started this conversation about guilt, about this feeling that nothing can be done. Hope for me is the understanding that not only can something always be done, something is always being done. It is always being done. And I just recently shared with folks that I love to look at the moon. And my wife loved the moon. She love to walk in the moon and bathe in the moon light. And when I look at the moon, and I go out to the ocean every full moon with some of my friends and we drum and we sing. And one of the reasons that I do that is because the moon reminds me that life outlives me. And that is what hope. Feels like that the understanding that life will outlive me, and that feels good. Actually, you know, it feels good to know both that what I do in this time is significant and also insignificant both, and that feels good to me. That feels like it's not so important that I can, you know, destroy anything, but it's important enough that I can't create something. I can leave a mark, and so can we all. My mom always used to tell us like something about believing in the people. When you ask her what her religion was, she was saying, my religion is the people. For a long time, I didn't understand what that meant, but now I do. You know, I don't care necessarily where I live, and I don't care what issue I work on I care about the people. That's where my hope lives is. The is in the ongoing nature of humanity, and I understand I'm a humanist, but I also understand right. Power is real, privilege is real, hierarchy is real, and we suffer under those conditions. But at the end of it, or at the beginning of it, however you want to think about it, I believe in people, and that's where my hope lives. And that's what I think about in terms of in terms of hope, believing in each other, believing that that we have something unique and beautiful to offer that death can't take away. You know, our love survives us, and that's what I believe in.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for being here. We didn't get to talk about the Media Justice Center, but we'll link to that in the show notes. Is there anywhere else people should look for you or anything else you want them to know about where to find you.
Speaker 1: You've mentioned Center for Media Justice, so you can find more about that work at Media Justice dot org. I am building a website eventually you'll find me at Radical Loss dot org. But I'm on Twitter everywhere on social media. I'm culture Jedi. You can find me. Find me there and look for my book, you know, look for my books.
Speaker 2: I cannot wait for your book. I will do my best to not pester you Everay couple of weeks like when's your pub date? When can I get it? Can I get an advest Reader copy? When is it coming?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, yeah, thank you so much for having me such a play. I'm so thrilled.
Speaker 2: All right, everybody, stay tuned for your questions to carry with you. We'll be right back after this break and I spend more time talking with Makiya off camera.
Speaker 1: Be right back.
Speaker 2: Each week. I leave you with some questions to carry with you until we meet again. This episode, friends, I mean, what didn't I carry with me from this episode? Everything got to me. Everything was medicine. I wonder if it unlocked a lot of things for some of you too. You know, I always want to hear how you feel, what you think about every episode, but for this one in particular, I really want to know what your AHA moments were? Did you like fill an entire notebook? What happened for you during this conversation? I really want to know. And if you're involved in some kind of social change movement, would you let me know what it is and let me know what you took from the knowledge and the wisdom that Max shared with us. If you're grieving a personal loss, were you as moved by max love for their wife as I was? I mean, the entire conversation is something that I am going to carry with me for my whole life. How about you? What stuck with you in this conversation. Everybody's going to take something different from today's show, but I do hope you've found something to hold on too. If you want to tell me how today's show felt for you, or you have thoughts on what we covered, let me know. Tag at Refuge and Grief on all the social platforms so I can hear how this conversation affected you. You can also leave a review for a show That is a fantastic way to share your thoughts with me and to encourage others to listen. So reviews a win win for everybody. Follow the show at It's Okay Pod on TikTok and Refuge and Grief everywhere else. To see video clips from the show, use the hashtag It's Okay pod on all the platforms, so not only I can find you, but others can too. None of us are entirely okay, and it's time we start talking about that together. Yeah, it's okay that you're not okay. You're in good company. That's it for this week. Remember to subscribe to the show, leave a review for the show please, and share the show with everybody you know. Coming up next week. Gina Rossero, author of Horse Barbie, follow It's Okay that You're not Okay on all of your favorite podcast platforms so you do not miss an episode. Want more on these topics, Look, grief is everywhere. As my dad says, daily life is full of everyday grief that we don't call grief. Learning how to talk about all that without cliches or platitudes or simplistic dismissive statements is an important skill for everyone. Whether you're trying to support a friend going through a hard time, or you work in the helping professions, or you work in any kind of social change movement. Get help to have better conversations about grief with trainings, professional resources, and my best selling book, It's Okay that You're Not Okay, plus the Guided Journal for Grief at Megandivine dot Co. It's Okay that You're not Okay. The podcast is written and produced by me Megan Divine. Executive producer is Amy Brown, co produced by Elizabeth Fouzio, logistical and social media support from Micah, Post production and editing by the ever patient Houston Tilly. Music provided by Wave Crush and background noise provided by the perfectly timed recycling truck