Speaker 1: Hello everybody, and welcome to a special episode of Amy and TJ. Coming to you from the Habit Held Expo at the McCormick Center in downtown Chicago.
Speaker 2: Hello everybody, I'm TJ.
Speaker 3: Holmes and I'm Amy Robach and we're very excited to be here with thousands of runners in this weekend's Chicago Marathon. So it's very exciting. I love expo centers. I love the energy of everyone. All the training is done, Months and months of preparation has been underway, and now we are finally here marathon weekend.
Speaker 2: And for our.
Speaker 1: Listeners, you can hear a lot of background noise. We are in the expo center where some fifty thousand runners have to come through to pick up their packets, and so the main stage we're sitting at to give you some perspective, is at the exit, so we're the last thing people see on their way out of the Expo center. But we should remind folks, yes, we're a long time journalist. But how many half marathons do you have under your belt?
Speaker 2: Bro?
Speaker 3: I tried to do the count official half marathons.
Speaker 4: I believe I have six, Okay, marathon.
Speaker 3: How many marathons I have five full marathons.
Speaker 2: And where were they?
Speaker 3: I ran Chicago in twenty twenty two. I ran New York in twenty nineteen, twenty twenty two and twenty twenty one and twenty twenty four, and then Berlin twenty twenty one.
Speaker 1: Okay, now I will tell folks this is something I didn't know. But you said it's possible that Chicago twenty twenty four will be your last marathon. You said that to me last night, and I was surprised to hear it myself.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 4: It's a lot.
Speaker 3: All the folks here in this incredible expo center know how much work it is a second full time job to train for a marathon. It takes almost half a year, and it takes a lot out of you, And so I don't want to push myself more than my body is willing to go, but I do. I have always had this dream to run London, so I'm gonna leave that open to do a seventh. But I don't know how many more marathons I have in me. I have more half marathons in me, but you're just getting started.
Speaker 4: How many do you have under your belt?
Speaker 1: This will be my third. My fourth is supposed to be in three weeks. I'm supposed to do New York. I've only done two New York marathons. I've done five half marathons and they were all New York and Brooklyn. So this will be my first time running outside of New York. This is a stretch for me.
Speaker 3: In Chicago is a beautiful, flat, amazing place to run a marathon.
Speaker 2: And let me ask everybody here.
Speaker 1: We know everybody that's running the marathon that can hear my voice.
Speaker 2: We all expect to be in pain at the end of the race. But can you give me a show of hands if you can hear me?
Speaker 1: How many folks are I want to be starting the race in some kind of pain? You have some injury, you have some nagging something, you got some problem.
Speaker 2: You're gonna be hurting when you start. What's your problem? Oh splints? Oh you right there in the purple shirt? What's your problem? Oh? Was that he did Berlin?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Everybody?
Speaker 4: Oh, we just did Berlin.
Speaker 2: Okay, that is a problem.
Speaker 4: It's your legs are tired. I get it.
Speaker 3: I've done a double before, DJ's about to do a double. It's real. Your body has already broken and you're starting.
Speaker 2: So let me say this.
Speaker 1: It sounds I if even ever watched us or me, I have known I have a decent amount of style.
Speaker 2: I think I need to explain this.
Speaker 1: I have on a black double breasted jacket, slacks, and some flip.
Speaker 4: Flops, with some compression socks.
Speaker 2: And compression socks.
Speaker 1: I have an achilles issue that has been well documented over the past couple of months.
Speaker 2: Have you been listening to us? And I still ain't right?
Speaker 1: And as I sit here, I still don't know if I'm gonna run the Chicago Marathon on Sunday.
Speaker 4: We're going to start it.
Speaker 1: I will start it, but I don't know if anybody out there has had Achilles to donitis.
Speaker 2: I don't care if you.
Speaker 1: Have a traditional medical remedy, non traditional, I don't even care if it's legal. If anything you can recommend that can help me with this achilles before Sunday, I will take it.
Speaker 2: At this point, And I.
Speaker 3: Have to say, I have never seen anyone so devoted to icing and heating and icing and heating and making sure that you're doing everything you can with laser therapy.
Speaker 4: And here we are, and we still don't know. It's a big question mark all.
Speaker 1: Right, and everybody who's a first time marathoner, any first time or a first time or a first timer, well that's cool, and we know this is special and good luck and I'm sure what's going through your head, but we want to welcome out somebody now to the stage and our guest here who is also a first time marathoner, not just first time Chicago, but this is her first time running a marathon. She also is a distinct inguished west Point grad graduating the top five percent at west Point. She is right now a second lieutenant active duty serving in the military. She is also the win of a prestigious scholarship to Stanford, where she is right now studying to get her Masters in Statistics and Data. And also she just happens to be the current Miss USA. Well you all please help us all. Welcome to the Amy TJ Podcast. Miss Usa, I'm a Cooper.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh my goodness, welcome, Oh my goodness.
Speaker 4: Alma.
Speaker 3: First of all, thank you, of course, what an unbelievable resume at the riple age of twenty two, twenty two. I can't imagine what's left in your resume to fill out because you've already accomplished more than most, but I'm curious with all of that under your belt, I know you've been a runner for a lot of your life. You credit that to your mother. We'll get into that, but how are you feeling? This is your first marathon? How are you feeling about the race?
Speaker 5: I'm so excited. I have been talking to my mom NonStop. I'm like, Mom, what should I do about this? Like how long should I go for my shakeout run? Like should do I need.
Speaker 4: A roll before or after or both.
Speaker 5: She's been coaching me through it this whole time, and I just feel really grateful to still be able to pursue this opportunity. I remember when I won, I was like, man, I don't know, should I still do it?
Speaker 6: And I was like I should totally still.
Speaker 4: One in August? So yes recently, Yes, very recently.
Speaker 5: And so I'm just so thrilled. I'm just so excited. And I keep telling myself, don't go out too fast like ten ten ten k, Like I've got my strategy for my pace.
Speaker 6: I've got my Apple Watch, like.
Speaker 1: I'm ready, so and we know the strategy is going to go out for the window.
Speaker 2: I'm always curious.
Speaker 1: We use a hal Higdon training regimen that only takes you up to twenty miles at the longest one you do. What was your training process? How many months and how would you way?
Speaker 5: I got up to twenty miles and I started So I signed up for the Chicago Marathon like mid October of last year. So I started like kind of just continuing with running and then going pretty like steady with it on like increasing my mileage probably.
Speaker 6: Like around January.
Speaker 5: And that was around the same time that I thought about getting ready for Miss USA.
Speaker 6: So I had been like running to get ready for.
Speaker 5: Miss USA, and I had also been doing like some core and strength training at Core Power. I go to Core Power Yoga a lot, So I kind of just was incorporating that and trying to be consistent that way. When if I was traveling a lot and I couldn't be like at Core Power, I couldn't get in the long run on the roads, I was on the treadmill, like I could still balance a little bit more.
Speaker 3: So we talk about balancing training for a marathon and working a job.
Speaker 4: But you're working the job of Miss USA.
Speaker 3: Where you mentioned a little bit of travel, it's a lot of travel.
Speaker 4: Correct.
Speaker 3: What is your average week like and how did you What was the craziest way you fit.
Speaker 4: In a long run?
Speaker 5: Well, I would say so during Miss USA week when I was competing, You're going through rehearsals, You're going to fittings. I mean, you're all all over the place. We were touring Hollywood, and I didn't.
Speaker 6: Really I didn't get a chance to get a run in.
Speaker 4: And Saugust is a big training month for this marathon.
Speaker 5: So about a week after I won, I was like, okay, let me just hop on the treadmill.
Speaker 6: I was in Washington, DC, and I was like, let's just see, like how I feel.
Speaker 5: And I ran a half marathon at like eight minute pace and I was like, okay.
Speaker 6: Well I didn't think I had that in me.
Speaker 5: So I was like, Okay, I really feel like, you know, not only should I stick with it, but I should like really trust my training because something is working and I.
Speaker 6: Don't know what it is.
Speaker 5: So I'm just gonna stay with it and stay confident till October.
Speaker 4: I have to ask.
Speaker 3: The longest I ever done is a twelve miler on a treadmill because I was in quarantine in Tokyo covering the Olympics, and so it's the only reason why I did it. How do you stay on the treadmill for thirteen point one miles?
Speaker 4: What's your secret music?
Speaker 5: I listened to a lot of Fred again John Summit. Does any like upbeat music that I can like visualize to, because that was a lot of my preparation for Miss USA was like visualization and manifestation and any like upbeat music that just like gets my mind going.
Speaker 6: I see a couple of head nods up there.
Speaker 5: I think some people agree with me, but just the idea that, like, whatever it is I'm listening to, like, I'm focused on that and not like the mirror that's steering in front of me.
Speaker 2: So the hell? Who likes? Who does treadmill training? I hate?
Speaker 4: Oh we got one backmill training?
Speaker 1: How much treadmill you talked about that run? But how much treadmill training did you have to do?
Speaker 6: I mean recently after I won.
Speaker 4: Majority of it.
Speaker 6: When I'm not home has to be on the treadmill.
Speaker 4: The twenty miler? Please tell me you.
Speaker 6: Did No, I was outside okay side.
Speaker 3: Like I said, twelve was my longest and I watched two full episodes of Stranger Things. I have to watch something on Netflix. You can't just listen to music when I'm on the treadmill and you've got about four miles in.
Speaker 2: You want a treadmill, I'll tell you. I hate that. We call it the dread disc.
Speaker 1: Oh Meg, okay, I have gone down to do a two mile run on the treadmill and quit it one mile.
Speaker 4: It's trund to help you. Witnessed it not. He doesn't quit it anything, but he quits on the treadmill.
Speaker 3: So you did your twenty mile and by the way, I looked at your half marathon pace, very impressive.
Speaker 4: Was it one forty four?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 4: Yeah, my best is one fifty three, So my hat's off to you. But you did one forty five.
Speaker 2: Uh? Yes, I did that was Brooklyn. I think it was already.
Speaker 3: Y'all should run together because oh paces closer to hers than to mine.
Speaker 4: Four.
Speaker 2: No, I have the.
Speaker 1: Woman I'm gonna be running with. I am no, no, no, you're like that was okay. I need to thank you, thank you.
Speaker 3: I set him up for that. So do you have a pace in mind for this marathon?
Speaker 5: My goal is to finish under four hours.
Speaker 6: That's my goal.
Speaker 5: And the other thing is is that I just feel like I'm so excited to run and to run for the cause that i'm running with. I'm running with the charity Appnegar and my life. I didn't know my life would be what it is when I decided to run, and so I've kind of just tried to give myself.
Speaker 6: Grace throughout this process and just going.
Speaker 5: With no expectations, just to enjoy myself, don't go out too fast, and really like soak in the moment. Because I grew up in Michigan, I have friends who ran the Chicago Marathon, and so my goal is to finish under four hours, but I also just want to enjoy the whole.
Speaker 6: The whole experience.
Speaker 1: Okay, so a few more running questions here. One, what is your I see what you're wearing here, but what is your shoe of to what would you be running in on.
Speaker 2: Sunday Brooks Running book? Okay, what do.
Speaker 1: You think is your biggest challenge on Sunday? We all have ours. She has if it's too hot, she'll get nauseated.
Speaker 2: That's her issue. I am an Achilles thing. Yeah, it's a problem.
Speaker 1: So what is the thing that you're worried about on phone's going to put you in that mindset, no no worries.
Speaker 5: I guess I'm a little bit worried I do this. And I my mom knows this about me because she's coached me on runs and has done speed workouts with me. She's like, you're going too fast, Alma, you need to slow down. And so she's I told her my BIB number, so she's going to be tracking me.
Speaker 6: She's going to be.
Speaker 5: Texting me on my watch, she's going to be encouraging me. And I think I just want to make sure that I don't get too confident too early on.
Speaker 6: I think that's my biggest thing. That's my biggest worry.
Speaker 5: But I think I think I've got a village to help regulate that so I'll be good.
Speaker 3: I love that, and I also love I because that's always the thing.
Speaker 4: To start out slower than you think and you build.
Speaker 3: You want your your slowest mile to be your first and your fastest mile to be your last. That's the dream. It's rarely worked out for me, but that's always the goal.
Speaker 4: And I've always found it fascinating how.
Speaker 3: When you go through is a real struggle like this, and you've done your twenty miles, so you know what that is how much. It is a euphemism for life. Start out slow, to not go too fast, isn't the phrase. It's not a sprint, it's a marathon talking about life. But what have you learned training for this marathon? And what do you hope, like what you've learned from this about pushing past pain and all of those things runners go through, long distance runners go through that you will apply to your life.
Speaker 5: Yes, I would say that one the idea to give myself grace. I think like when I first signed up for the race, I was like, oh my gosh, like this is gonna be my thing for twenty twenty four, Like this only thing I'll be able to focus on. I'm like, I got that totally wrong.
Speaker 6: I'm miss the mark on that.
Speaker 4: But I think like giving.
Speaker 5: Myself grace has been the biggest thing because I do know I'm a perfectionist.
Speaker 4: And also I read a lot of David.
Speaker 5: Goggins, and one of the things he talks about in his book Can't Hurt Me is to prove to be uncommon amongst the uncommon.
Speaker 6: And I think I've always.
Speaker 5: Tried to push the boundaries on myself and master my own mind and how I can craft myself, how I can just continue to demand excellence of myself. And I think this has pushed me outside of my comfort zone and it's made me face things like dang, I didn't I didn't want to struggle at this. I didn't think I was going to struggle at this. But I'm struggling and that's okay, And so I got to not let it define me. But what's going to define me is how I respond to it. So I definitely think like those lessons has shaped have shaped how I've approached this year, I have approached how I'm going to approach the rest of my life.
Speaker 6: I know I'm going to run more marathons, So this is just the star for me.
Speaker 4: And I'm really excited.
Speaker 1: Why in the first way. I know you've challenged yourself, But why Chicago? You could your first one could have been a lot of places around the world.
Speaker 5: Sure, I chose Chicago because I grew up in Michigan and I started off modeling in Michigan. Like I was discovered or started off modeling in Chicago.
Speaker 6: I was discovered in Chicago.
Speaker 5: And I just always remember, like the energy that surrounded this race and the way people lie in the streets and just all of the positivity that surrounded it, and for me like to be close to home.
Speaker 6: And I mean I travel a lot, and.
Speaker 5: Right now I'm in grad school out in California and Stamford, and for me coming back to the Midwest in a way and like just feeling the energy of.
Speaker 6: It all, it just felt like this is the right place to be.
Speaker 3: You're coming home. I'm in Michigan er too, by the way. By Brett Lansing.
Speaker 4: Yes, I was born in Lansing well Great Sparrow Hospital.
Speaker 3: And I've got family here actually in the audience with me. So yes, I know what it's like to feel like you're coming home and to see those streets lined with people cheering for you.
Speaker 4: We've said this before.
Speaker 3: There is nothing like working your ass off, struggling and then being in a place where there is an entire city cheering for you. There's I don't think there are many things in life the top a marathon, and it comes with a price tag, for sure, but it's something that never leaves you. And that's something I've always have. People asked you, are you insane? Why are you running a marathon? What do you tell them? The answer is why.
Speaker 5: I just say, the only limits you face are the ones you accept. So many people are like that's crazy, Like you're going to Miss Universe in like two weeks and you're gonna run this marathon, and I'm like, yeah, that's the way the book is supposed to be written. And so I just feel like one like it was meant to be because this I've always say, like these dreams were planted in my heart for a reason. I felt like that getting ready for Miss USA. I felt like that getting ready for Chicago.
Speaker 6: And the fact that they align, That's just the way God wrote it. So I'm so excited. I'm like, let's just do this thing.
Speaker 1: When do you taking up your schedule? When do you have to Miss Universe's Mexico City this year?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: When will you be in full Miss Universe mode after the marathon?
Speaker 6: Pretty much starting October fourteenth?
Speaker 5: That will be the final Those will be like my final two week push because I leave for Miss Universe or October twenty ninth.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's remarkable, and we are wishing you the best of luck, and you've created a lot of firsts with this Miss USA title, and you're also are you the third Miss Usa. This year, it's been a crazy year within the Miss USA PATCHA.
Speaker 5: I'm Miss Usa twenty twenty four for sure, So within.
Speaker 3: This year you have finally been crowned and you are the first tell us about what that means to you, the first Afro Latina Miss Usa.
Speaker 6: Well, I think it means a lot.
Speaker 5: I'm super grateful for my family and for my family lineage. My full name is almod Alia Minerva Cooper. Alma means soul in Spanish, and Odalia is my mom's name. Minerva is my mom's mom's name, and Alma was name of my dad's mom. Actually, I have her ashes in my necklace, and so I have the soul of all the women in my family, and I just know that for me to represent for them at Miss Universe throughout my year as an Army officer, I mean, all of it comes together.
Speaker 6: It makes me who I am.
Speaker 5: And I've been really fortunate to have a village around me who has always uplifted me and encouraged me and just allowed me to aspire to whatever it is that my heart desires.
Speaker 1: You said, Robox said here, first Afro Latina, first Miss USA also the first active duty soldier to win, Miss USA, this is the first active duty soldier to live. That is amazing. Miss the USA, help us. And how big of a deal is it for you? Because when people think traditionally, historically about beauty pageants and beauty pageant contestants, that doesn't necessarily mesh with what they think traditionally about an army soldier. Those two things are the characteristics of those too. You are marrying those two in the perfect way to where us I now look at pageants and go, oh, yeah, that's what it should be. That's what they should be. And I think you represent an opportunity. But how big of a deal is it for you to try to knock down almost some preconceived notions of what a pageant contestant should be and what a soldier should be.
Speaker 5: I always say that my year is dedicated to serving and not being served. Is to be of service to so many people and to leave an impact wherever I go.
Speaker 6: And for me, I've always found.
Speaker 5: That competing in pageants and being in the military are not mutually exclusive because there are some things that are very synonymous, and one of them is disciplined. I would say that being able to talk about my story how I come from humble beginnings and how I've always dreamed of making success successible for everyone. My mission in academia is to study health and nutrition and food insecurity, and just continuing to devote myself to organizations and cause that are better than who I am as an individual. I hope that that allows people to know that there's far more to pageantry than just a gown and a woman in makeup. There's so many things that come along with it, and I think the most important one is service.
Speaker 3: Alma, it's so cool in hearing you talk full disclosure, full transparency. I was in the Miss America program. I was a runner up to Miss Georgia. I never won my state. I never went to Miss America, but I did participate in the pageant system.
Speaker 2: She she's my beauty queen. Though that was so you guys, that was just for you to.
Speaker 3: But the Miss America pageant system is about service, It is about scholarship, It is about a lot of the things you're talking about. I read that your mother was involved in the Miss America pageant system, and I've always been a big advocate for it.
Speaker 4: I know it comes under fire often.
Speaker 3: For the notion that it objectifies women. But if you use it for the right way and it's and it's evolved in the right.
Speaker 4: Way, that it is about empowering women.
Speaker 3: I will say that the Miss USA pageants system has not been known for that as much. It's more about the models, these supermodels, the gorgeous women, and you are. It feels like marrying sort of the mantra of the Miss America system and bringing it to the Miss USA pageant was that in your head at all?
Speaker 5: I mean, my whole focus was to hopefully just make an impact and be a part of an organization that was bigger than myself. And I hope that in being of service to others that I can inspire other people to serve, whether it's to your neighbor, your community, in a uniform, or in the in corporate America, whatever it is that someone is aspiring to do. I remember dreaming to walk across to Miss USA stage as a young girl and not even knowing.
Speaker 6: If that would be possible.
Speaker 5: I just was like, hey, you know, one day, I hope I get the opportunity to do this.
Speaker 3: What do you say to people, because I've dealt with this in my little small world, who say pageants are antiquated, they're outdated, they're actually offensive, and they objectify women. How do you respond to those people who feel that about beauty pageants?
Speaker 6: I would say that I always say if you.
Speaker 5: Can see me, you can be me, and that the only limits you face are the ones you accept. And I hope that in the sixty days I've spent as Miss USA so far here about to run the Chicago Marathon for charity, that people know that there are so many ways to use a platform and uplift other people.
Speaker 6: And for me, one of the things that.
Speaker 5: I'm so grateful to have learned in my time at West Point.
Speaker 4: Is how I develop my character.
Speaker 5: And again it's that I don't look at oh, this opportunity, this adversity, or this challenge is going to define me. No, it's how I go through that that my response is how it will define me. And there's so many things that I've overcome that have led to this moment and will continue to lead to even bigger moments in ways that I can serve people. So to me, it's just about pushing that message and exemplifying what that means.
Speaker 6: When the rubber meets the road, to serve and not be.
Speaker 1: Served you've called yourself a perfectionist. How does that help you? And almost how does it hurt you? In running a Marriata, Well.
Speaker 5: I would say, you know, I'm always that person when it's like okay, like I went two and a half out, but somehow I went.
Speaker 6: Two point four nine back.
Speaker 5: I need to make that, you know, point oh one. So I always do those little loops in front of my apartment. My boyfriend's like, what are you doing, and I'm like, we have not done yet. I would say that it's helpful because I think it's that mentality that I always want to give my best effort. And if I feel like I'm not doing that or i feel like I'm not seeing the outcome that I want, then that's something that I think is a double edged sword because one way it can push me to forge that path to hopefully become that best version of myself or meet that gold time. But in other ways, it's like I got to give myself grace. I can't always expect that I'm gonna be perfect.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: The first time I go on that long run or the first time that I asked this of myself, I remember doing when I was home a lot doing double workouts. I would go to core power and then I would go and do a run, And for me, I.
Speaker 6: Was like, okay, like that, it's great and all, but when.
Speaker 5: You start traveling, you can't really keep up that schedule as much.
Speaker 6: And just giving myself.
Speaker 5: That grace and understanding that, you know, again, when I decided to run Chicago, my life looked completely different than it does now, and understanding that what do you want to take away from this?
Speaker 6: And what I want to take away is.
Speaker 5: Hopefully the idea that one I want to run more marathons, but I think I'm pretty sold on that idea already, but also just ways that I can can you continue.
Speaker 6: To serve and use my platform?
Speaker 5: And I think that it's been really neat to see people watch how I've kind of merged both realms of my life, which is the physical and athletic piece, but then also this platform of being miss Usa.
Speaker 1: I'm curious, she always says. Now, I don't not saying this.
Speaker 2: Is going to be you.
Speaker 1: But when you run your first marathon, she used to always say, when you get done, you're either going to say I can wait to sign up, when's the next one? Or you say I ain't ever doing this shit again in my life. You're only one of two people at the end of it. We can't wait to talk to you all.
Speaker 2: Sunder Oh great, great, great great.
Speaker 3: Have you had a run that ruled you, a run that made you think I might not make this, I might not be able to do this.
Speaker 4: Have you had one of those.
Speaker 3: Moments, those low moments when you doubt yourself and your ability to make this happen.
Speaker 5: I mean, I had a run probably about two months ago where I didn't like really stretch as well before I started, and I.
Speaker 6: Was like two miles in, I was like, dang, why is my knee hurt?
Speaker 5: So I was like, I got off the treadmill and I called my mom and she's like, well, did you run cold? And I was like yeah. She's like, Okay, don't do that again. Things like that, I guess like whenever I have like like oh.
Speaker 6: That I made my ankle hurts and maybe my knee hurts, and I'm like and then like I could tastrophize. I'm like, oh my gosh, I'm not gonna be able to do it.
Speaker 5: But I'm like, okay, calm down, like go back to the things that worked.
Speaker 6: So I guess in those moments.
Speaker 5: I really try to be like, Okay, I'm spiraling. This is not the truth, and I'm glad that I have people around me who bring me back to earth.
Speaker 3: People who don't run long distance might not they it is physical, of course, but how much of a long distance run would you attribute to it being mental strength versus physical?
Speaker 4: So I would.
Speaker 5: Say like at this point, I mean the past month, like, yes, I've been running, but I've been reading more David Goggins, similar to I mean I read David Goggins before I got ready from This USA, but again reading it again not only from this universe but for the marathon and just strengthening my mind. And I'm currently reading Never Finished, but just his second book. I read Can't Hurt Me before Miss USA. And for me, it's just about reminding myself that I have put in the work that this will show when I when I get in those moments, and mentally I have to trust that.
Speaker 6: But I would say, like the long.
Speaker 5: Distance piece, when you're getting into those miles, it's like, hey, you got to trust your mentality, and your mentality has to be fueled by positive affirmations and things that are affirming the work that you've already put in.
Speaker 1: We're at cart totally and Michael Singer folks ourselves, so we read a whole lot as well. And what is in your AirPod?
Speaker 2: What are you listening to when you're up?
Speaker 6: Yes, I'm eating.
Speaker 5: I'm listening to a lot of Fred again, John Summit, a lot of stuff I listened to on the treadmill.
Speaker 6: Not like us.
Speaker 4: You just spoke his language, Kendrick Lamar.
Speaker 5: And then I would also say maybe a phone call from.
Speaker 4: My mom too, so you'll talk on the phone. Yes, a running time mom.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Sometimes if I like, if I'm in a really long run, I'm like, hey, I'm at this mile.
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 3: So it's so funny. It was the New York City Marathon last year. My dad was texting me, but you know, you have Siri in your here telling you what everyone's texting you. And my dad was tracking TJ and me, and we were doing really well because I too wanted to get a sub for We were right.
Speaker 2: There, okay, we were.
Speaker 1: We were about to crush under four you want to say it. And we got up to mount We're past twenty miles, kay, And I'm telling you we were going to annihilate four hours.
Speaker 4: He was like, games, I'm so proud of you.
Speaker 3: You're killing it. And I was feeling the love. And then all of a sudden, it was really hot. Last year, I had a lot of water. That water started jiggling in my stomach, and about mile twenty two I started vomiting, like goodness while I was running, and then I had to stop.
Speaker 4: And anyway, bottom line, we ended up at four fourteen.
Speaker 6: Oh that's okay.
Speaker 2: It was about a ten minute stop. You don't understand album.
Speaker 4: It was bad. And my parents started then texting me.
Speaker 3: They thought, like I was in a medical clinic, like in a tent with IV fluids.
Speaker 4: I was like, it's not that traumatic, but I went.
Speaker 3: I pushed it a little bit too fast for the weather conditions. Weather is everything when you're running, but when you're a runner, you have to prepare for everything mentally and physically. And that's just one of those things. And every marathon's different. That's been my experience. So I can't wait to hear how your first is. But my god, like you don't even seem slightly nervous.
Speaker 4: You seem like, hell, yeah, let's get this done. Been there almost done that.
Speaker 5: Yes, I do have a little bit of nerves, but I just feel like I feel very similar to when I was competing from this USA, Like you got a little bit of nerves, but you're just really really excited and you're like, you know, whatever happens, Like I just want to go out there and have fun.
Speaker 6: So I think if I just keep them mentality, hopefully.
Speaker 4: All as well.
Speaker 1: We weren't able to get into fully your whole biography here, but for folks who are maybe getting exposed to you now, clearly your resume speaks for itself, and just we got to meet you for the first time back here, and you just you just have an aura. You just exude this. You come from good folks. Yeah, it's clear. So for folks here and folks who are listening, where does that come from? Where did it get instilled to you? This perfectionist attitude. You were very little when you realize you wanted to do this. You want to be in the military, you want to do pagets. You're a little girl. Yes, what I know your parents have a lot to do with it, but get pokes an idea of where this comes from, that what they're seeing right.
Speaker 6: Now for sure.
Speaker 5: I would say my grandmother, whose ashes are on my necklace, she just exuded this energy from the from you know, the drive through at McDonald's to the people she would meet at church. I mean every single person she met, she just made them feel like they were the only person on earth and just lit them up and fed them energy and filled their cup.
Speaker 6: And I just love that. I mean, my grandma was my best friend. Her name was also Alma.
Speaker 5: And for me, when she had passed away, I just told myself, you know, I promised to make you proud, and for me, I think from that promise on, I decided to go to West Point. I just I feel like it really stemmed from all the time I spent with her growing up. Because when my dad would be deployed, we would go and spend the night at my grandparents' house and so I would, you know, help set up for church and we would do the offerings ben and it was just me and my sister, my grandma, and then my mom also, I would say, my mom and my dad have been huge support systems throughout my whole life. They've always taught me one your tough, Alma, whatever you face, you can overcome. And two, whatever it is you want to be or become, you can be or become. And for me, I mean that's manifested in so many ways, but definitely those three people for sure.
Speaker 2: Can I ask how old were you when you lost your grandma?
Speaker 6: I was sixteen.
Speaker 4: Wow. I love the she's with you. Yes, she is bringing her with you on the run round your neck. That is so beautiful.
Speaker 3: And for those folks who don't know who are listening, talk about your mom. Your not just as just your support SYSM, but as a runner. She was a battie in her own house.
Speaker 6: So my mom grew up as a migrant worker.
Speaker 5: In the beafields of Idaho and literally ran her way to a Division one track scholarship at Idaho State University.
Speaker 6: She ran the eight hundred.
Speaker 5: And for me, I mean I remember growing up, I'd always know my mom went on run, but I didn't know like how fast she actually was until we had gone to Idaho when I was younger, and when I, you know, went to our high school, she still had her track records up with her twin sister, and.
Speaker 6: I was like, Mom, what in the I didn't know this.
Speaker 5: So when I got older, I you know, started running track, and she was like, okay, like I'm going to coach you and I would be getting my butt whooped up the track by my mom. But for me, it was just like this idea that I remember when I ran my first mile my freshman year of high school, and it was the freshman mile. It was like a huge, huge race, and I she snuck her way onto the into the track and called my splits from the two hundred to the four hundred, to the two hundred to the four hundred, and you know, every race, every endeavor, from when I first started doing pageants to winning Miss USA.
Speaker 6: She has been through all of it.
Speaker 5: And so her goal has been to run a marathon, and you know, I'm running one before her.
Speaker 6: So now she's like, Okay, I've got to do it.
Speaker 5: So I I just think, you know, this is a big feat for both of us, and I'm even more excited to come back and.
Speaker 6: Cheer for her when she decides to run, or you could run with her. I was gonna say, that's the next best thing.
Speaker 4: That would be amazing. Who's going to be along the sidelines cheering you on.
Speaker 5: Yes, I've got a couple friends through the military. I also have Rebecca Ufford who is from the West Point Parents Club of Michigan. She's coming to cheer me on, yes, so she will be there. I have a friend from Stanford who's also running, so I hope to see her at the finish line.
Speaker 6: And yeah, I'm just really really excited.
Speaker 5: Like I know that by posting on like social media to share like my journey and my story and hopefully like uplift the platform the charity I'm running for, apnegar that just I hope that all this is to uplift other people, to serve, uplift other people, to understand all that comes with being a part of like the mayor on and running community, and also just merging the idea that the only limits you face are the ones you accept.
Speaker 1: I love that you talk about Miss USA. It's service. The military is service. Everything you're doing is service. Can I ask does the sash do you wear that during the marathon?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 5: I will not be wearing this, unfortunately, everybody was hoping that I will be.
Speaker 6: I will be flashing my smile at the end though, and.
Speaker 3: Talk about the charity that you're running for, because this is so important. This isn't a lot of us runners aren't running just for our own personal records or own prs, although that would be nice, but so much of a runner's journey on a race is about being of service and raising money for charities that we love, so tell us about yours.
Speaker 5: So Appnagar is not just a shelter, It's a lifeline for a lot of people. They're fighting for gender and just fighting against gender injustices and domesticolence around the world. And October is Gender Violence Awareness Month, and so for me, I just think it's an awesome opportunity to give this charity and this organization the opportunity to know that I support them, and I want to see more people get involved and impact their communities in ways they can, whether it's donating to a shelter in their hometown or coming and running a marathon with Team Apnagar. I just think that for me, I'm really about empowering people and giving people a voice, and I feel like, you know, Miss USA is all about women's empowerment. So it's a really neat opportunity to get to run with them and to hopefully represent for an organization that's bigger than myself.
Speaker 2: All this you're doing remind me, tell what you're doing at Stanford.
Speaker 5: So I'm in a two year master's program at Stanford University through the night Hennessy Scholarship. There's nearly ten thousand applicants around the world and eighty four recipients in the twenty twenty three cohort, and I'm currently earning my masters in data science at Stanford.
Speaker 2: Out this eighty four yes? So you blew by that. I know you don't want to what do you call it? A humble brag? Sometimes?
Speaker 4: Yes, the humble She slid that.
Speaker 1: In there, that she was in competition with ten thousand people all over the world, only eighty four yes were selected. So I know you don't want toot you all, horror brag. That's a big deal, and it's a scholarship. Maybe you all haven't necessarily heard of, but it is a prestigious and a big deal that she has received that scholarship and she's doing what she's doing.
Speaker 2: When do you finish your studies there?
Speaker 5: So I'll finish next next year, next year here?
Speaker 4: And what do you want to do with those prestigious degrees?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Well, I am so honored to serve as a second lieutenant in the United States Army. I graduated from West Point in May of twenty twenty three, and I commissioned as a military intelligence officer. So I'm really thrilled to go to a basic officer leadership course for.
Speaker 6: My branch and to continue on with my career as an Army officer.
Speaker 3: It is it is so incredible to see how many young women. I know you're inspiring, and not just young women, but for anyone who thinks how many people out there, even those who are listening right now and have said to me, There's no way I could run a marathon. There's no way I could run a half marathon, There's no way I could run more than a mile.
Speaker 4: What do you say to people who think they can't do something?
Speaker 5: I would say, if you can see me, you can be me, and the idea that I you know, I've heard a ton of nos.
Speaker 6: I've heard there's no way.
Speaker 5: I've heard oh, you know, you could try, but I don't know. And I've also heard you got this, Alma, you can do this.
Speaker 6: I believe in you. If everyone says no, I'm the person who's gonna say yes.
Speaker 5: And I feel like when you listen to those voices and you give those voices, the spotlight. That's what uplifts you, and I hope I can be that for people all around the world.
Speaker 6: Just let them know that you know dare greatly. Go forth with passion, go back, go forth with.
Speaker 5: Purpose, and know that your story is not only deserving of being in those places, but belongs there.
Speaker 1: So to close here, to wrap up with you, and a lot of people are dealing with this and still don't know exactly what they're going to do. I don't know either. What is today as we're talking to you here. It is Friday until eleventh yea Friday evening, So Friday, Saturday and to Sunday. What is your rest routine? What is your diet.
Speaker 2: For the next couple of days leading up to the race.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna say bagels, impasta.
Speaker 6: I drink a lot.
Speaker 5: I love coffee, like iced coffee, so I'm gonna have one more on Saturday, and then I'm not going to have any on Sunday because I don't want to have to use the bathroom that much. And then probably just getting a good night's rest tonight and tomorrow evening, probably reading some David Goggins and making some phone calls home for some good wishes before Sunday.
Speaker 4: It's funny.
Speaker 3: Anyone out there who's listening who hasn't run a marathon. Yes, the training is key, but what to eat and maybe even more importantly, what.
Speaker 4: Not to eat is so important. And it's funny.
Speaker 3: This is my number six and I don't think I've figured it out yet because it's like, ooh, that didn't work.
Speaker 4: Oh, let me try this. I mean, it's just do you fuel along the way? Do you how much?
Speaker 3: Do you stop at the water stations? Do you take the goo? Like I'm curious what your plan is?
Speaker 5: Yes, my goal, based off what I've talked with my my friend who's done a lot of marathons, is I'm gonna take the bananas when i can water at the A stations.
Speaker 6: I've got some noon tablets for my little water bottle.
Speaker 5: I've got honey Stinger choes. Yeah, I've got I've got a little I've got I've got a pretty thick flip belt on my head my way, so.
Speaker 4: The flip bell is great. Just I hope it doesn't chafe, like there's always.
Speaker 6: A I've got chafe butter.
Speaker 3: It's so funny because I've made different choices each time. And they've all been good, and then they've some of them have been bad.
Speaker 2: Oh it's wild where life takes you.
Speaker 1: I'm a girl, oh man, sitting those stags with my girlfriend and Miss USA talking about chafing and bathroom breaks.
Speaker 2: It's awesome. You just never know what life's gonna take you, right, you never know.
Speaker 4: Which mile do you prefer? The porta Potti?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: I mean that's literally you have these conversations that you probably should never have with your significant other, and yet they're vital. When you're about to run a race together, you start talking about things you never thought you would talk about.
Speaker 4: With complete strangers.
Speaker 3: But that's what happens. It's a community us runners. What are you most looking forward to?
Speaker 5: I guess just the energy of running through the streets. I mean, I've run half marathons on Post at West Point and there's a there's cheers all over the post.
Speaker 6: But to run it in Chicago, I know that it's going to be electric, and I have my headphones.
Speaker 5: But I'm probably gonna keep them off for the first little bit, just to hear the audience and to hear everyone, because that I think is so uplifting and so positive and can be definitely help find another gear.
Speaker 6: I get tired out there.
Speaker 1: It is so funny to hear I have made long playlists before, but in New York, I turn the music off.
Speaker 2: Just the energy you want to take in.
Speaker 1: Dear lady, we can't say it enough, and I hope everybody here well please help us. And thanking miss USA Alma Cooper for being here. Throw a good luck as well. She's a first timer on Sunday. A lot of you, but we got to read about you, and we were so excited for you to be here, but you came as advertised. You are just a wonder to behold and someone I would absolutely love for my daughter, who's eleven years old to look up to.
Speaker 2: So it was just so much TJ.
Speaker 6: I really appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, TJ's got an eleven year old. I have a twenty one year old and an eighteen year old. In fact, my twenty one year old thought it was really cool to send me a text today saying she ran three miles in honor of us running the marathon this weekend.
Speaker 4: But every mile matters and every mile accounts, and.
Speaker 3: You are an inspiration to so many people, but especially we appreciate it. As parents of daughters for what you're showing the world women can do. So thank you Alma for Miss USA. Good luck in Miss World. Thank you appreciate at the marathon, and we can't wait to see your time which is clearly gonna smoke ours.
Speaker 1: But guys, thank you folks as always for listening to us on the Amy and TJ podcast. Before you, folks here in the center, thank you for spending some time here with us.
Speaker 2: We'll see y'all soon.