Speaker 1: Cooking is a big part of this time of year, and tamalis reign as the big star in our community during the holidays.
Speaker 2: Lots of people and families coordinate one day to.
Speaker 3: Do a big tamalara, cooking dozens upon dozens of tamalis for family members to enjoy all season long.
Speaker 4: I know this for certain. Every household that day has one role. If you don't help, you don't get a.
Speaker 1: Bag of tamalis because it is a labor intensive process.
Speaker 3: Enjoy this special clip from last season when we honored.
Speaker 4: The tamal opened this bag right now there.
Speaker 3: This is this Latina owned small business based here in La called Tamalesca.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I can smell it. Wait, this is in La. This is and I had.
Speaker 1: I love raha so rajas are I usually think they were alapeno.
Speaker 4: They're not the poblano slices.
Speaker 2: And then we also have.
Speaker 1: Oh I love, which is pork, which is what I usually eat in Texas.
Speaker 4: Is that what you guys? Well, deer dear dear Sea.
Speaker 1: I know we do deer tomalis and we do pork, tomullies and bean.
Speaker 4: We do beans. Is what you make here? We I made everything here. I did chicken beef bean. I did everything. I do everything, and so.
Speaker 2: This is just the mall on the corn husk.
Speaker 4: It's very red, super red. So this is obviously the carn one.
Speaker 2: I think it's the carnita one.
Speaker 4: Usually the red ones are the pork. Yeah, worn this massa obviously a savory massa.
Speaker 2: Yes, savory massa.
Speaker 4: I've never seen red is when they get confused in the bag. You don't know what you're gonna.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, these are I've never seen red red rajas.
Speaker 1: By the way, these are huge compared to the ones I made, really big, just relicious.
Speaker 4: That's just amazing. So mm I look at the cheese.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm it's super yeah mm hmmm. Yeah. So I like, I'm very picky about my tamalis.
Speaker 4: I don't. I like the massa meat ratio to be sixty forty. Okay, I like more meat.
Speaker 1: I like more meat too, So I think sixty mesa.
Speaker 3: These are actually really good. I have to say, I'm not like the malis are not my jam.
Speaker 4: Oh no, my jam they're my jam.
Speaker 3: I know I know that they're like. I didn't grow up making theamalis. We always had them. I lists around we would buy them from the Tamalero or gift the world be giftages. We always had them, I List and Roska. They're always the malist, but we never made them. I want to hear about your tradition of making them. But I am going to tell you these are amazing. These are really really good, and the massa is super flavorful.
Speaker 1: The mass is really Sometimes you get the malags where massa is just the thing that's holding in the filling.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's a little massa.
Speaker 2: All right, So now we're gonna taste.
Speaker 4: So this one must be.
Speaker 1: Which is white's Is that what it means to be aca?
Speaker 2: She's keeping us on our toes.
Speaker 4: This so normally your pork, themalas are the red or the red ones.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so now she's just doing something completely different.
Speaker 4: Oh, that's a lot of meat. It's a lot of massa too. Mmmmm. You can tell these underneathas have been cooked for a very long time. Wow, so much flavor this massa. Again, this massa is white, so it doesn't have chili in the massa like the other.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: These are huge, by the way, they are.
Speaker 3: This meat is amazing, this feeling, it's all about my God, it's the Sometimes the massa it's too.
Speaker 4: Dense, too dense, This one's not. This is nice and soft.
Speaker 3: It is, and it's not Sometimes that the dope competes with the filling. Yes, you can only taste one thing and there's like a sad little strip of chicken or whatever.
Speaker 4: This is like the perfect ratio. It's a good ratio, so so flavorful.
Speaker 1: You're right, the masa has a personality as well as opposed to like just holding in the filling. This massa is really good. No, we're not sharing that, no way, are you kidding? We already finished them, by the way. Fun fact, I don't know if you do this because we're both Texicans. But I eat my the mileage with ketchup.
Speaker 4: No I do wrong. It is like, what is wrong with you?
Speaker 1: And I was like, I think it's a Texas thing and my friends in Texago.
Speaker 4: No, it's an Eva thing. I can't eat it without usually.
Speaker 1: I cannot eat it without dipping it in ketchup. Really, I know, I know, I know. I'm not must be like a childhood. I'm not Mexican enough. Every year it was a sacred day before Christmas, and we'd make hundreds of dozens, hundreds of because it was all my aunts.
Speaker 4: My aunt was a caterer too, so she would make them.
Speaker 3: She the one that makes Do you have her recipe for cookie that you only make like hundred people?
Speaker 4: Yeah, five hundred people.
Speaker 1: So we would make one hundred dozen and my mom would get twenty dozen and my aunt would get twenty dozen, and so they all got So she's like, you can sell them, you can eat them, you can freeze them, whatever you want to do. But like we're dividing the labor evenly as we divide the tomaw like it was a whole.
Speaker 4: Counting was a thing.
Speaker 1: My aunt was like, no one too, three for five, twelve, one to five, Like she was really a stickler. How many you get to take home? If you participated in the day, you got to take the home?
Speaker 2: Did you have did everybody have a roll?
Speaker 4: Like did you have a specific role? I was a good spreader.
Speaker 3: You were a spreader so always so as when you get all dormally, still spreader.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because the spreading is the most important.
Speaker 1: Like we said, masa to filling racial Yeah, so rolling in and folding him is the easiest part of my sister to do that because they're not as good.
Speaker 4: I find that hard.
Speaker 3: When I've tried to make them a list, they always I always.
Speaker 4: Have like it's the size of your husk. Maybe it's too big.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I don't know what if you are like rolling it and then if they fall.
Speaker 4: Apart, like I'll show you this year, you'll have to show me. I'll show you this year.
Speaker 2: So are you still the spreader?
Speaker 1: This is I'm still the spreader. I'm the spreader and I'm also the quality check spreader. So as we pushing down the line, I'm like, what what is that one? Send it, I reject out, spread it more, go lower.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm like, that's my job. So good, so good. These are freaking amazing.
Speaker 2: Go back and listen to Hungry for History from the beginning.
Speaker 4: Season one is available to Binge now.
Speaker 1: Hungry for History is a hyphen It Media production in partnership with Iheart's Michael Pura podcast Network.
Speaker 3: For more of your favorite shows, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you get your podcasts.