Speaker 1: Well, coming up next, I have Ezra Kleine here in studio talking about his new book that he co authored with Derek Thompson called Abundance. In this book, Ezra does not hold back on taking a very critical look at democratic governance all across the United States of America, in particular in my home state of California. This is Gavin Newsom and this is Ezra Klein. Ezra is great to have you here in studio.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me here for this weird inversion.
Speaker 1: Weird inversion, and you've been I mean you've been all over the place. You got a new book, Abundance, and we'll jump right into that, but I want to just frame a little bit of the relationship that we have that goes back and you may not even remember this. I was a new mayor in San Francisco and was asked by Bill Mahert to go on a show. I remember that you were one of the panelist, and I'll remember forget just sparring with Bill obviously, and then you And after the show was done and we were all finishing, you had left, maher goes up to me and he goes, who the hell was that? And I'm like, I know who the hell was that, and it was you. We were like whoa, uh, just for both of us didn't have a you know, I was I was relatively new, Bill's been seasoned.
Speaker 2: You a lieutenant governor then, I don't think you lieutenant.
Speaker 1: Got wasn't it? You know? It was I still was liet. I'm pretty sure lieutenant governor. So but I was like, anyway, I'd been on the show a bunch of times, but you were. You had a next level capacity to analyze things and to deliver a point of view. And so it's not surprising to me that so much of that, including that conversation we probably had on that studio and said, it's reflected in what you've been focused on.
Speaker 2: I think about your book from that era, Republic two point zero.
Speaker 1: It was called right, yeah, Citizenville, Citizenville you had to take the town square digital and reinvent government. How about that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's something we should thread into this conversation. I think people have forgotten that era of Gavinism.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I think in so many reflects in aspects I was reading this book and you're reflected in this. I mean, this has been my struggle as a former mayor. You chronicle San Francisco, California disproportionately. But this book is fundamentally about the future, and you framing the future in abundance terms. But it's also a real shot against liberalism in many respects, against the world we created now competing against us in terms of process and courts and laws and rule making and all of that that's created so much of this cost of living dynamics. So tell us what was the inspiration of the book. Tell us a little bit about what abundance is.
Speaker 2: I mean, the reason the book is so rooted in California that I am. I mean, so this book is co authored with Derk Thompson from the Atlantic, and so we both have our own things you bring to it. But I grew up in Irvine, as you know. I went to the C system that went to d C for twelve or thirteen fourteen years, and I spent a bunch of time in DC covering a political system where the problem was Republicans were bad. Oftentimes the things that I wanted to see happen were not happening there because they were being blocked by the Republican Party. And then in twenty eighteen, I moved back here. I moved back to Oakland and then to San Francisco, and I looked around and it just wasn't doing well. People were unhappy, people were leaving. I mean, I mean, you know this, you're a retail politician, like you can sense people's anger when they find out you have anything to do with politics, they tell you real quick. And we could see the housing crisis hadn't tastasized into something that was genuinely now a crisis. Not just homes are expensive. California high speed rail has always lit me on fire that, yeah, we'll get to that. And when I began to and I was thinking about clean energy where your I mean, the goals that you have set for clean energy in the state are remarkable, and in order to achieve them here or nationally, because the Inflation Reduction Act was passing around this time too, that I was thinking.
Speaker 1: About a lot of this.
Speaker 2: We have to build faster than we have ever built, and the laws don't really permit that. And so the thing that I began thinking a lot about was that there is something liberalism is good at and knows how to look for, which is where can we subsidize something that people need. But there's something liberalism is bad at because it doesn't know how to look for it, which is how do we create more? How do we make it possible to build more of things people need? And not only are we not good at pursuing that, we don't even realize how often we are getting in the way of it, how often we are the problem. There is I think something bracing as a liberal about asking this question of why, in the places where people who agree with me govern, you and I don't think have that different politics aren't the outcomes what I want to see? Why can't I go say to the Texans or the Floridians, No, no, no, no, you just have to do our policies from California. And that's the thing I'm grappling with here.
Speaker 1: No, And I appreciate that, and we'll get to that question because I think it's a fundamental question, and it's interesting what you sort of define from that prism. That's important because what people are actually looking for isn't necessarily what you are identifying. Specifically, I would challenge, as the problem is that said, what you identify as the problem? I completely agree that. I was going back to my speech, my first speech is governor at the State of California, it might have well, it's these pages. Yeah, literally said if you can build a sports stadium with these new rules and fast tack of judicial process and what we referred to, we'll get the SEQUA are California rules that go back to quite literally Ronald Reagan in nineteen seventy as it relates to environmental review. It should work for homelessness, it should work for housing. And I announced that day an effort to sue up to forty seven cities. We started with one, Huntingdon Beach, California. Doesn't make you popular as governor to announce a lawsuit against Erl City because they weren't meeting their zoning requirements under our housing element. So much of that again reflected in this friction and your own reflected frustration and lived experience in the state of California. But my point is this, as a practitioner, it's a very different reality. But what you identify, I completely embrace these labyrinths of rules, federal rules, state rules. Absolutely localism though, and I want to talk about that localism is determinative and you pick on understandably San Francisco, but you can look at almost any city, including a Republican health city like Huntington Beach, and these same rules and restrictions apply there in the same frustrations. So from the prism of left versus right, you take the shot against liberals. But can't we argue that there is sort of quality of consideration and nimbism that persists in rural and red parts the countries.
Speaker 2: Well, let me flip this because to shadow box around the fact that you know more about California governance than I ever will in a thousand years ago in this would be ridiculous. Why is it easier to build homes in Texas and California.
Speaker 1: They have Well you established that in the book. In Houston you make the point I think it was seventy thousand permits in twenty twenty three, just seventy five hundred in a much smaller city, San Francisco, but understandable contract a city with more demand, more demand, and it's simply because they have no zoning. They have land use consideration, but Austin has zoning. Yeah, but not Houston. In the context of that.
Speaker 2: The thing I'm getting it here, which I really would like your the thing you just said right about localism. It's so important, and like, this is so much the conversation I'd love for us to have here because the texture that you have been grappling with of why do things that you want to have happen not happen is I think a really interesting thing to add to it. But when you're saying, well, you know, is this really a problem for liberals. It's easier to build in Texas and Florida. They're not just in California, but in California or New York. Right, the cost of living crisis is worse in blue states. And a little bit of that is Blue states are place a lot of people live, but you should be able to in places ent governing for the working class and theory, and your point.
Speaker 1: Is a point and just to level set, people are listening completely agree this notion of the supply demand imbalance. I mean, you're making an econ one to one argument. Uh, And that supply to imbalance is next level in the state of California, Whi're simply not building enough housing and that goes to I mean, and you correctly identify a nimbiism. Uh, and people you know, incumbent protection rackets, so to speak, not just from a corporate perspective, but someone who's very satisfied with their backyard and their views and their home and their community. They don't want density, they don't want other people moving in, they don't want any infrastructure built around it. As it relates to transportation, they're very satisfied with what they have, and I think and they abuse in some respects a lot of these rules that have been around decades and decades uh to advance that aim.
Speaker 2: So you identified all this, I think pretty well as a problem for the state and for you. So when you gave a State of the State a couple years back, I'm genuinely forgetting the number. What was the housing goal you set?
Speaker 1: We said, well, we had we had an audacious goal that was a study of studies that identified what the state would need in order to address the supply demand and ballants. But we made the point we were going through a legally binding process what we referred to as arena goals, and we've established that here is the legally binding goal two point five million units by twenty thirty, and that is the established state policy, and that's the goal. So you're not on track for that, not even close why for well number of reasons, macroeconomic. I mean, I think you have to be fair as it relates to the realities of what just occurred, as it relates to the constraints around the marketing of interest rates or interest rates are high. Obviously, we came out of a very difficult period during during COVID, but fundamentally because of the inability to get local government to get out of the way and allow for more construction. And that's why we created a Housing Accountability Unit. That's why we've taken eight hundred actions, That's why I've unlocked seventy five hundred units, uh, and that's why we have advanced forty two sequel reforms in some of the most significant housing reforms in California history. As it relates to eighty US, which you identify eighty US. Now you can buildinally do in single fami family home zoning and duplexus. But at the end of the day, state visions realized back to.
Speaker 2: Localists, why did the ADU effort work and the single family housing or multi family housing didn't. I mean, those were big bills and we Yimbi's greeted them with delight. But I would say everybody would say that what was it us be nine yes if the cities have made it so those don't. Actually it doesn't build as much housing it and.
Speaker 1: That's why we created this housing accountability to drive more responsibility at the local level and providing technical assistance. It's not just a stick, it's also a carrot. But no, look there's the that's the construct, right, I mean, that's a classic example. People like their neighborhoods. That's the foundation of Nimbiaism. And I had look this yimbiism frame, which is yes in my backyard. For those wondering the hell we're even talking about, I embrace it. I celebrate. I don't think there's been a more yemb governor in California's history. And it's why we've signed so many of these bills and supported many of these bills. But you're right that application a lot of these are new reforms just in the last few years in this high interest rate environment. So we'll see how quickly things unlock as interest rates dropped down. But fundamentally, it's the Nimbiaism that drags it.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you something about the housing reforms. As I flipped the whole table this podcast. It's problem with having a podcast host on. So during the election, when Kamala Harris and then Barack Obama at the DNC, actually, by the way, on Barck Obama than Kamala Harris. We're up there talking about the need to build three million new homes, right and really sad in like Yimbi's from the stage. I was thinking, man, that is a huge intellectual victory for movement that didn't exist like twenty five minutes ago. I started thinking and and started running back the date, and I'm like, Okay, how's it working out? And you look in San Francisco and housing starts aren't up. And you look in LA and they're not up. You look in California. Not talking here about ADUs, but housing starts in January twenty twenty five were lower than in twenty fifteen. I began thinking to myself, oh shit, we actually have won an intellectual argument without winning the policy. So I began doing some reporting because I knew how many. I'm not literally how many, but I knew there's been a pretty torrid pace with you and you know, Scott Wiener and Buffy Wicks and a bunch of other housing local and the Last Day bills, and so I began calling developers in San Francisco and said, what's going on here, why don't I see a movement? And how much you're building? And what they all told me was I didn't end up writing this piece. I just didn't have time, but I meant to for some time. Was all these fast track bills required me to take on a bunch of new standards and requirements, prevailing wages and environmental standards and this and that. That made it more expensive for me to take the fast track than just do what I'm doing. It wouldn't pencil out for me to do it right. I don't know if that's one hundred percent true. I could see you. But if that's not it, why do you think all those bills didn't lead to Well.
Speaker 1: A lot of them have. How we can talk about it, you know, I don't want to get into really parochial politics, but we can talk about a five hundred unit project on Stevenson Street in San Francisco was never going to get done until the state intervened and compelled the hand of the city to actually move forward again. I mean, and you've got an ideological war that's going on in progressive cities. They don't believe in the supply demand framework. They don't believe in this notion of abundance. Fundamentally, they have a d growth mindset, which you talk a lot about or at least right around in the book, And so you're struggling with that ideological spectrum. But San Francisco, I mean, it's just infamously just loves its neighborhoods. Doesn't want to see it up, so they don't want to see the density. So they're constantly pushing back against this, and we are as a state finally intervening in the ways the state is never intervened in the past. So I think it's a little too early to sort of assert that the sort of fatalist or have a fatalist a notion of what hasn't yet occurred, when in fact, we're starting now to flex our muscles and the application of these laws are now starting to fully go into effect, and ultimately we want to see them materialize and manifest. But that's I think that's that's the friction. But look, let me just stipulate again. We're not arguing here, You're one hundred percent right.
Speaker 2: I was asking I'm curious.
Speaker 1: No, but but also you're not. I'm you know, you talk about as a bagel of earth was everything, Yeah, everything, attack everything together. Even we're a little critical of the Biden administration and the Chips and Science Acts and the infrastructure stuff because they did the same thing. Look, you go to the.
Speaker 2: Rural broadband effort. Right twenty twenty one, they passed a bi Parson infrastructure bail. We'll say it's the biggest infrastructure bill in decades, which is not wrong one point two.
Speaker 1: Turing, but five hundred and five to fifty of.
Speaker 2: New Yeah, And one of the big headline pieces of it is forty two billion dollars for World Broadband YEP twenty twenty one that passes by the end of twenty twenty four. Functioningly nobody's hooked up to Royal Broadband. And me and Derek look into it, and there is a fourteen stage process. I mean, I'm sure California was going through a fourteen stage process of their creating a map, and then the map can be challenged, and there's these letters of intent and so on and so forth, and by the end of their administration of the fifty six states and jurisdictions that were trying to apply for the money, three had made it through, which, putting aside the fact that them, me and all these people didn't get broadband, it also meant that they couldn't run on that right. So much of the political theory of the Biden administration was that if you can show liberal democracy can deliver, you will pull people out of wanting these strongmen who say they're going to burn the whole thing down and give you something out of the ashes. And if you can't, really, if the things don't move fast enough, if they don't get to the people fast enough, it's much harder for liberal democracy to make the case said it delivers. I want it to deliver. I like these policies, but the speed thing is a real problem. And I'll say one more thing, because I was talking. I did an event the other night with John Favreau and we were talking about we were talking about high speed rail, but I was saying that the stimulus bill under Obama that had three big headline projects for reinvestment. It had high speed rail, it had smart grid, and it had a nationwide system of interoperable health records.
Speaker 1: I remember those days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh for three. Yeah, at some point we got to be upset about this.
Speaker 1: You know. So you have five core chapters in this book. You talk about growth, you talk about governance, you talk about deploying, inventing. You know, a lot of language very familiar here in the state of California. Again, abundance is fundamentally foundationally who we are, at least believe we are in the state of California. And so in that respect, I agree this sort of this perception performance is one thing, and I would argue a little bit more favorably to Biden. I mean, seven hundred and seventy five thousand manufacturing jobs, just the job growth generally, and I'm not just talking about job recovery from the pandemic, but the six plus million jobs that you have to stack on that after we were back to full recovery. The fact that Chips and Science Act is producing real results as it relates to private sector investment, and the fact that we finally have an industrial policy that is worker center centric. And I think that's that worker centricity that you can argue against, because that was in you call it out and here when you talk to Gina about issues related to childcare and other aspirational frameworks as it relates to small businesses and reaching diversity goals and the like. But there is the fundamental disconnect, and you're absolutely right as it relates to these large scale, adacious projects. And I will give you your do on high speed rail. I have been as critical or more than you have about this. In fact, I appreciate you reference my pivot after I took this job as governor, where we called out the status quo and now we're trying to level set and get this back on track. But at least there's a vision. At least Obama had a vision. He wanted to be big and big things, he wanted to do big things. And at least progressive states still have a vision and they have a design. I mean, and I think that's part of an abundance frame and and and while it's difficult to manifest that vision, I don't think it's an indictment necessary it well, it's indictment in terms of our ability to deliver on time and under budget. But the vision I think is foundational and important. And I give credit to the aboveman administration in that respect. For all three, even if they were over.
Speaker 2: Thirsk, I'm all for vision. I upset the point of this book is that I want the things to happen. I mean, we could talk about high speed rally, we must talk about high speed draft. But before we before we get there for a second, I mean, I do the question around this book because it is very critical of how liberals have governed. Well, then why you're just a Republican?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: If Texas is so good at housing? And the thing that I keep telling people is you've really confused means and ends here. Another thing that keeps coming up is like, you want deregulation. Isn't that a Republican thing? Well not if I'm deregulating the government itself so it can deliver on the things you want. What's supposed to matter in politics is not the means, it's the ends. And what I sort of want. What I'm trying to push here is for liberals to get a little bit more means agnostic and more like ends obsessed. So the thing that I the place where I probably differ a little bit in what you just said a second ago, is that I don't want to give anybody credit for a vision that didn't happen. High speed rails you have a great quote to me in this I use it in the book High speed Rails undermined the public's faith and what can get done? It undermines the next high speed rail?
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: And the thing that I want to see happen is a kind of reckoning inside the governing I would call it a culture. Not just laws. It's not just regulations, although it is all those things. But it is a culture of what happens when the Democrats who are setting this stuff up getting the room together, and people start raising their hands and saying, what about this and what about that? And how about the other thing? And instead of here and no, I think it's kind of a little bit, and it's not the only thing going on, but there is something wrong in a culture that so often fails to deliver what it promises. I mean, not just high speed rail, the big dig, the second Avenue subway, right these you know, parts of them got done in the second Avenue piece or the big dig eventually got done, but too much, too expensive. You can't do enough if you're doing that, and it's not inevitable. Europe builds trains better than we do. They just do. And they have governments I checked, and they have unions more than we do.
Speaker 1: So it's not just the lawyers. And you point that out of the wall.
Speaker 2: Well, that's an issue I'd be very curious to hear. So this is the thing I think people don't know that I would love to hear it. To your thoughts on that we do government different in this country than they do in Europe, is a qualitative difference between it, which is they run government through bureaucracies and we restrain government through courts, which at the moment with Trump, seems good in a bunch of ways, and there are ways in which it's good, and there are also ways in which it makes it hellacious.
Speaker 1: You got it to deliver, Yeah, and I would say that's the central theory of least. The argument that I would make against the high speed rail is, I mean, look, this thing started, and you make the point it started. There was sort of talk about the vision. The original vision was not Obama, it wasn't even necessarily Jerry Brown. But you pointed nineteen eighty two when Brown at least says former Governor Jerry Brown, we should look at this high speed rail thing. And then eventually Arnold Schwarzenegger, a Republican puts a bond on the ballot in two thousand and eight, and the voters approve it. And you're right. There was a lot of promotion and promise. Thirty three point six billion dollars, two hours and twenty minutes downtown twenty by twenty twenty and the whole thing. And then reality. Now I get here later decade plus later and reconcile the fact that we have to dig our way out of this. There's a new reality. There's a scarcity of resources, there's an abundance of delay, there's an abundance of cost overruns, and we have to level set that we need to build something or we're left with literally nothing. We're left with pieces that go nowhere, that have no utility and actually have a long term costs. But let's do it by telling people what it is and what it's not. And so this focus on the Central Valley, which is recognized was stipulated as a requirement under the Obama grant, the three billion dollars in one of the fastest growing parts of the state, an important part of the state, a state that has deep desire to connect to the rest of the state, and a state of mind that's not just about a transportation project, but about upsony about economic development, which a lot of that has occurred in and around these new stations that have been built, fifty large scale projects, the size of three Golden Gate bridges. The entire environmental cpearance is now one hundred percent done. LA to San Francisco, there were two.
Speaker 2: Thousand, twenty twelve to twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: I can't I can't make up for that. I can only deal.
Speaker 2: With the quota party, which is crazy.
Speaker 1: It's crazy. But the point is we're at the point where just announced we're doing railhead. We're finally laying the tracks. I mean we could, we can lament about it. We absolutely learned from it, and we've stressed test a lot of it. You talk about the consulting class versus a bureaucratic class, you're absolutely right, and we started to shift that just a few years ago. But the litigation on the two thousand, two hundred and seventy parcels that we had to purchase was next level, and that delay, I think is the core of this. There's plenty of other bureaucratic malays and other issues we can identify, but back to this notion, I think you're right this idea of so I think liberal litigation. I don't know what phrase you used in the book, but we were mindful of that and critical of that, and you mark that as a big part of the sort of nineteen seventies construct in a America and tell us a little bit more about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we can put a pin in high speed rail. There are two major liberal movements that happen in the twentieth century. The one we think about a lot is New Deal liberalism. That's the one where we build aggressively. It's a growth orient to liberalism. It's a liberalism of material goods. And it's the liberalism that defines the left right divide in our national narrative. Right liberals believe in big, strong government, conservatives believe in small, limited government. In the sixties, seventies, eighties, you have real problems that have emerged from this New Deal order. We have built heedlessly, recklessly, intensely. We are cutting highways all across the country, many of them, they're not all of them through marginalized communities, but man, the rich communities don't like it when a highway goes through either right, and they have a lot of the power that leads to this. There is a genuine spoiling of the environment. My colleague Derek likes to talk about the moment in Los Angeles. I think it's in the forties or fifties where people wake up and think there's been a chemical attack from Japanese, but it turned out that the city had launched its own chemical attack on itself.
Speaker 1: But you'll forget. In California, a lazy pundit could suggest the modern environmental movement started in nineteen sixty seven in reaction to that in the business community saying enough and Governor RONA. Reagan established the California Air Resources Board, of which that rights and responsibility were afforded under the nineteen seventy Clean Air Act, which you also highlight in the book Richard Nixon affording California waiver so that we can address the unique air quality concerns that you identify them book.
Speaker 2: And then of course everybody forgets it's Reagan who signs the California Environmental Quality Activity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this SEQUE issue that you and others and myself.
Speaker 2: It's worth I think taking time, it's worth taking I think a minute on SEQUA. So Reagan signs a bill into law. From Jake Ambnder's research, it doesn't even merit a full article in the La Times. It's interesting nobody quite knows what they've done because initially SEQUA it just says, look, when the government does stuff, it's got to produce o report on you know what the likely consequences are. No big deal. And then there is a proposed development in Mammoth, which, you know, the great ski and snowboard town, which I've been too many many.
Speaker 1: Times, you Southern Californians.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Math, But there's a mixed use development that's proposed there, you know, sort of condos and some shopping at the bottom of them, and a bunch of rich Mammothians, I don't know what they call themselves. Foul lawsuit, and they have a novel argument, which is that this development can't go forward because it violates SEQUA. And this gets rejected the courts because this is not roughly would this be I'd want to double check this, but early seven years these things, but I could be wrong with that. So so what happens here is that the courts reject this a bunch of times because Seque is about public development, and then the Supreme Court rules no no no. Public development is anything that requires a permit by the state of California. There's a Sierra Club lobbyist who we quote in the book. It says after that sequel applies to anything where you are rubbing two sticks together in the state. And so, now, having been as Ambunder puts it in his dissertation on this stuff, informed by the courts of what the law they passed actually does, the legislature puts a pause on it because now everything's in a huge legal limbo. But the key thing is at SEQUA. I mean, and I'm sure you know all this much better than I do. But Sequa's power is amplified a lot by courts that interpreted it in a way that was very different than anybody initially interpreted it. And this is part of a period in liberalism where you have this rise of an environmental movement that has legal dimensions and political dimensions, and statutory dimensions and cultural dimensions. It's Rachel Carson, It's Ralph And the key thing about this period of liberalism, the New Left period of liberalism, is it is fundamentally skeptical of government action. The New Deal is this alliance between the government, the unions and the corporations to build, to put people to work, to industrialize America and make it into this kind of advanced, globe spanning superpower. And the new Left comes in and says, we are destroying this place, We are turning this country conformists. The term tiki Taki comes from a song about Daily City and how gross all those homes are. Right, Like, there's a whole thing about the esthetic destruction of it. I have great quotes from Lyndon Johnson's speeches about we used to worry about the ugly American, Now we have to worry about the ugly America. Right, there's a whole change. It begins to happen. And the way that this moment in liberalism tries to square the circle because the new Left is part of this era that's very individualistic, right. We think about this for Reagan and individuals, but it's happening on the left too and wants a highly participatory democracy. And the way it tries to square it is create a million different ways that individuals or individuals represented by nonprofit groups typically can sue the government to stop it or force it to think about things that it wasn't thinking about before. Sorry, gott a mosquito there, And it creates ways to sue the government and force it to think about things that it wasn't thinking about or had an earlier Get.
Speaker 1: That damn thing.
Speaker 2: If I got it, I'd be like a mom and that I remember the time when he truly seems superpowered. So the way they do that is they create this raft of legislation. Of it is some of it is environmental, but not all of it. And what it allows is for individuals or individuals represented by groups and a huge world of nonprofits emerges to take the best talent out of the law schools and set them to suing government to sort of enforce this. Ralph Nader, when he runs for president in two thousand, is asked what qualifies you to be president? Says he has sued more government agencies than I have. And yeah, and so this is very potent in blue states. It had a strong New Left, and we don't think about it. Really, it's not part of our national narrative of the left and the right. Our national narrative is like the guys who like government and the party that likes government and the party that doesn't. It's not that way. The right loves a big police state and the left has a very divided soul on government. It likes some kinds of government, but it hobbles government. And that sort of made sense for its time. But now we're in a different time where the problems are problems of not building enough and environmentally particularly, All of a sudden, we've gone from a period where it really was environmentally important to stop much of the things that were happening, and now we're in one where the environmental movement has to build, build, build, build the i ras of building approach to climate change, and our laws are not set up for that. And this is where I'd like to get your perspective. The thing that's also is like the Democratic coalition is not set up to revisit those laws. You all been doing little carve outs of SIQUA. Yeah, but you've not ripped it out and rebuilt it, and nor have we done that at the national level. And as much as Democrats know this, the environmental groups don't want to do that. There's a lot of power and incumbents around the legislative architecture we have now, and you don't get a huge I mean, you've tell me if this is wrong, but I feel like you don't get a huge parade for rebuilding legislative process, right zero.
Speaker 1: I mean so it feels like the contrary. It's years and years of friction, trial and error. It takes a couple of years. You introduce, you socialize, it gets nowhere, finally gets through new coalition, new personalities, You finally get it done. Then two years later you're actual exercise it. I'll give you two specific examples. I have a two hundred and seventy day judicial review process that we pushed. We worked it for. Its first use case was the first above ground storage facility in California, last half century sites. It's in an offstream dam in California. At the second quite literally a week ago, for three hundred megawatt large scale solar facility which we are testing. It hardly perfect, but that was three years in the making just to have this established rule where I can finally fast track large scale projects to start addressing your point. And you're right, there was no fundamental coalition for any of that. It was a very lonely process until after years and years of trial and error, we finally broke through.
Speaker 2: Do you think you benefit from the other side of it, from being able to get these projects built, Like if you could get them built, do you think like it's an intermediate period of pain and then better politics.
Speaker 1: It will be better politics, but I won't be around to enjoy the fruits of that. And I think that's the great struggle. To your point, I mean you made that point about Biden earlier. I mean that's just a it's forty eight months. You're in the middle of trying to address the pandemic. You've got all kinds of global issues, you've got supply train constraints, you've got war in Ukraine, You've got all of these issues, and yet he passes I refer to as a master class.
Speaker 2: You are more defensive of Biden's record than of your own.
Speaker 1: No, I'm more proud of the work they did, breaking through actually addressing the issues that Democrats claim they wanted to address, including marginally. And I agree with you again, there's zero daylight in this book which is markable, including its own critique, my own self critique of my own state and my own performance. So it's interesting. But he had, as I said, industrial policy, there was worker centric and there was reforms at the same time, to deal with mansion, which you acknowledge in the book.
Speaker 2: Marginal Well, the progressives killed those we just killed. But you're talking about the permitting the permanent reforms.
Speaker 1: But that sort of manifested and finally on the Chips and Science Act to be a version of that with Kelly and Cruz as it relates to. So there was some component parts.
Speaker 2: And they learned on this. I mean, Brandiese, who is Biden's former a NEC director, has an awesome piece in Foreign Affairs about why we need to build faster. Right, there's learning here. But I would wish but.
Speaker 1: If we but I'm going to let me stipulate, let me make this quickly if we can figure that out. If we can, I don't. This is this is the most one of the most important books democrats can read. Wake up. I sent this to the two leaders of my California Assembly and Senate.
Speaker 2: You love to hear it.
Speaker 1: I just know. No, I'm serious, I said, guys, wake this is it. I mean, we're being judged here at a different level. We've done some good things together. We got to get serious. As the spot on on a lot of this stuff. There's some you know, we had population growth, the last two years. By the way, in December they updated all the census numbers. It grew in California the last two years. He had red states that a population declined in the last few years, with the exception of Vermont. There's some QUI I can equivalent some of that respect, but fundamentally, these larger trend lines you identify and this friction struggle to build more and build better and to address I'm with you on the high speed rail. It furiates me as a taxpayer. You're one hundred percent. It's an indictment of our ability to deliver. That said, we are finally doing realized where by train sets. We got partnership with the Bright Line and High Desert Corridor. We did full electrification of Caltran seven hundred and fourteen million dollars fifty one miles. We got all the environmental work done, all the hard works now behind us. Now we're laying track and we're finally getting that first one hundred nineteen miles done. We'll get to one seventy one. It's a six point five billion dollar gap. We have strategy to address that.
Speaker 2: I don't even want to go I want to hold high title for a second. I want to do one thing on Biden before we go.
Speaker 1: But the issue with Biden is I don't know what the hell more he could have done in a short period of time to deliver on a bold vision and lay the tracks for benefits that will enjoy. Yes, not all in forty eight months, but over the course the next four eight years.
Speaker 2: It'll be loving Like. I'm not saying it's all his fault. That's not my point here, right, He is inheriting a government, although you see in a very dark way with Musk and Doge that a lot that was taken as a binding constraint actually isn't. So I want to hold that because I think there are things as grotesque is what that crew is doing to the government. There's also things that need to be learned from what they're doing to the government.
Speaker 1: But it didn't.
Speaker 2: I really think it's important to hold this in mind for all of us, because it's something I really did not understand. It did not used to take this long to deliver Medicare. Medicare delivered Medicare cards a year after they passed that bail. It took the Affordable Care Act four years to begin delivering actual insurance to any we can talk. It took on the Inflation Reduction Act, which is doing the much smaller job of just beginning to negotiate prices on some drugs three years to get that started. I mean we built I mean, these are the classic examples. But we built the Empire State Building in a year. The average environmental review takes four and a half years.
Speaker 1: Just a few years ago to get bridge. I agree, you know.
Speaker 2: All this The thing that I want to say about this, which is not Joe Biden's fault, but it is the fault of now. I think a long period of Democrats beginning to get accustomed to this slowness. This is not going to work politically. I agree with you are not going to hold the people you need to hold if your answer in every term is he can't feel what I did because a government takes too long. If it had to take too long, fine, but it doesn't actually right. These are man made and it's not.
Speaker 1: Just government, it's also private sector. I mean, there is there is another component of this. The markets actually play a really significant outsize influence in timing on a lot of these things, on investments, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they would build fast. In a lot of cases, if we let them build fast, I mean, they're not why we didn't get world broadband done.
Speaker 1: That was not that No, but that's just you know, I agree, that's fifty states solutions, thousands thousands.
Speaker 2: Think I'm pushing on a little bit here with using the example of Biden, not you, But I do think this is I think that those of us who want to defend liberal democracy from an actual challenge to it.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: One of the things Trump is getting the most mileage out of, and he says it himself all the time. I think it's why he likes what Elon Musk is doing for all. The risk of it is the sense of constant action. Yeah, all of a sudden government which normally you don't feel moving. You feel it moving, maybe badly. Maybe what you feel is the heat from it burning to the ground, but you feel movement. Right and Populace have that. They have a politics of energy almost all of the time.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: This is something you see across countries, and I think that Democrats need to begin to think about speed as a thing we are actually tracking and pursuing government. We have other things we need to pursue. In track equity right, just right. There are a lot of things we need to think about and you need to make trade offs between them. But speed is one we have just let slip. And it's not just like bad, because it's kind of sad that we let it slip. Jake Sullivan said about Biden, he said, elections are measured in four years, and his presidency will be measured in decades. It won't or his policy agenda be judged in decades, so much of it is going to get undone, including a lot of the Transatlantic alliance that he worked so hard to rebuild that it won't. One reason that this book is politically important to me not just the kind of background, as is a policy reporter, and the stuff I like is like the details of the policy. But one reason it's politically important to me is that Democrats have I think, got in a little bit of learned helplessness around not every little bit of how gardment moved slowly. People think about procurement reforms. You've done a lot on that, but in general, the sense that we just can't do what we once did, like the way the garment used to work. I was reading a great piece by Harold Myerson, who's at the American Prospect, and he's a great California reporter too, and he wrote this piece was back during the stimulus debate under Obomba. He sent it to me the other day and he talks about the way the worst progress administration started up under FDR and the unfathomable speed at which they just cut through everything to put millions of people the equivalent today of putting ten million people to work in a matter of months. Right, And he was saying, you can't do it today, Harold was because you just wouldn't have the laws. But I just think it's really important to say laws are man made. There are laws of physics, there are technical things we don't yet know how to do. But the difference between places at construct apartment buildings quickly and that don't is that's us.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. And look and you highlight some of those successes. I mean you you talk about what happened during the Trump administration in COVID. By the way, a lot of innovation happened during COVID. Yeah, including on land use. We did something called home key, room key. We changed land use and sequel. We did it through a emergency frame. You referenced the Eye ninety because risk tolerance went up, risk tolance went up, I ninety five and emergency frame. It's exact posts of any we had the Eye ten, which we got done in eight days. That was even more through the ninety five. Yeah, you should have added that and one nice thing you could have said about our state. But so there was a state of mind though. I mean, we're doing it right now in terms of the emergency work we're doing on the rebuilding of the fire declaration and people are celebrating it and the emergency.
Speaker 2: Structures work better. Yeah, then why is it not making the normal structure closer to them?
Speaker 1: No? I look, I this this is why. That's why I wanted to do this podcast, is why I love don't like your book. That's why I think it's essential reading for democrats. This notion of speed, appearing to take action but not doing things to people, but with people and finding that right balance it's not I think there's the stress. And it goes to your opening point about some of the questions you're getting sort of this notion of a binary that it's one or the other. Why aren't you a Republican as opposed to risk taking without recklessness. You know what's that right balance? You know? Is the right balance of DOGE is the example of the one hundred and forty billion dollars that Clinton and Gore saved on a one point four trillion dollar government and they reduced the size of the workforce by four hundred thousand. But they did that again in partnership and did real reform versus the recklessness of DOGE. Is it the RFI two process. I thank you for recognizing our procurement reforms you highlight. We brought in gen Polka to it from Code for America to bring in a private sector version. We did the original DOGE. We call it ODI, which the Office of Digital Innovation, which is now Office of Data Innovation. We're trying to change the entire procurement framework. We inherited these old Cobalt systems that you highlight from nineteen fifty nine and these IBM mainframes in the nineteen eighties. All of that creates a stress on the system, and so it's not easy overnight to fix it. But the emergency mindset and I think the break the glass point you're making is for democrats right now, and it's the soul searching we have, we got to deliver it.
Speaker 2: Does your legislature want to fix it?
Speaker 1: They all intellectually do. But then you have you have every constituency in every group, and they're showing up twenty four to seven. Then nimbiism as well established. You've established it from the mindset. It's not just by the way Reagan. In sequel, it's the NEPA, it's in Dangered Species Act, it's the Clean Water Act, all the stuff Nixon did. But it's not. But in any reform, people panic, oh, you don't care about you You've just turned it conservative. You can't even I mean, we've had a podcast here. You talked to Republicans. You're like, geez, what the hell is going on? Guys selling out sold his soul. So you have reforms around process. In sequel, people panic said, what, you just want to destroy the environment. So there's a political price you pay for that reform. But you're right, there's a political price for not reforming, which is where the Democratic Party is today. So speed decision making, the sense of action and purpose. By the way, a lot of what this president is celebrating is what the last president did, and a lot of the investments, I mean the AI investments that Sam and others were making and that we're making.
Speaker 2: I want to get the credit. That's one of the reason I think the speed thing is actually so important. You want to shorten. Look, the policy feedback loops are broken because people don't know who did the policy. When you said a second a couple of minutes ago that these projects that can only exist because of your fast tracking will not exist while you are in office, right, that a breakdown of the way the voters can maintain accountability right when they don't know who did what. It's actually a big problem. One thing that I think about with what you were just saying on the politics of it is that and I see it very clearly in California. I'm sure it's true in other places. You can you should tell me if this is facile. You can avoid short term pain in a way that ultimately creates almost unsolvable long term pain. And so you know you obviously used to be mayor of San Francisco London Breed said a lot of the right things on yimbiism and all the rest of Itancisco, but couldn't get it done and lost reelection. Not the only reason, but a big reason. People are furious about the homelessness problem there, and that's in large part of a housing problem. It's not the only reason, but.
Speaker 1: A large problem. You make that point, and you're spot on.
Speaker 2: In Oakland, they were called the mayor in Los Angeles. I mean, there's a lot of reasons for what's going on there, but Crusoe ran a much stronger campaign than people have expected at the beginning, and.
Speaker 1: Former Republican we're out performed a.
Speaker 2: Lot of Yeah, and so you have this sort of thing happening where there's almost I think, I don't want to say a ceiling. We'll see what you do in a couple of years. I don't want to say a ceiling on where California politicians can go. But it is very hard to be successful when people are angry of our problems that maybe you didn't cause, right, but you're also not willing to take the pain out assault.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm trying. I am taking the pain and I'm taking the political I mean, I can give you proof points of the work we've done in the political capital We've used to get a lot of these reforms advanced, and that's I think that's That's where I struggle a little bit with the book. Just again, the book that I celebrate and I'm handing out to folks, is it's not a lot of that is acknowledged the actual policy reforms that we are advancing, that we are marching and moving towards, and how we're actually starting to see some progress in that respect. But with that in mind, I get the speed and the scale, but I also want to make a case. Look, this is a state, you know, where we're aiming population again, We're running budget surpluses. We dominate in every innovative category you talk about the future of abundance in the context of invention and deployment, that's California. Eighteen percent of the world's R and D is in the state. No other state comes close. Only two countries have more R and D, and that's that's Germany and China. This is a state with forty one percent more manufacturing output than the state that tends to get a lot of credit in Texas. Texas, by the way, takes seventy one point one billion dollars of federal money from the taxpayers. We give eighty three point one billion dollars. We have more scientists, engineers, more, Nobel laureates, more venture capital. Half of the unicorn companies in the country are in California. There's a lot going right. They just get a survey of the top ten happiest cities. I would respect Houston went on that list, but Santa was very Irvine was on that list. Fremont interesting, number one, San Diego. So you know, I don't know, we dominate in AI. The world again, we're inventing the future happens here. By the way you saw in homelessness, the numbers through the roof across the rest of the country stabilized here in California. The housing crisis not unique to Blue states, any larger, longer, lower taxes in this state than in many many states. People talk about the high taxes in California. It's just BS. Sixteen states. Sixteen states tax their poorest residents more than we tax our top one percent. Forty percent of our residents pay lower taxes than in Florida and Texas. Eighty percent of our residents pay slightly above average taxes. So this notion of even being a high tax state is BS. This notion that everyone's leaving is complete BS. We dominate in so many of these categories because I think of our values, but we're not build enough damn housing, and that's led to this homeless crisis. Not exclusively, you said, but it's contributed. And yes, we had a vision decades ago. The taxpayers advanced it on a high speed rail and we watched China clean our clock. You highlight that in miles and numerics that are depressing. Don't you want you to repeat them? I can for everybody, but I'm not going to. But we're going to get the damn thing done. They complained about the Erie Canal, they complained about the Panama Canal, they complained about the trans Continental Railroad right before it finally started, uh to start to start to see real progress. And I feel like we're at that tipping point with this damn high speed rail. But nonetheless, you're right speed.
Speaker 2: Rail for a second. So I, for instance, I will, I will, I will say, first look, I love California. No, I have redwoods tattooed on my shoulder, like no joke, and like and leaving the state to go live in New York City was like the right thing for a bunch of reasons. But but you know, a difficult personal choice for me because this is my soil. So every you live through a tough time, though, Francis, you know what I would still I mean it was that was that was im That was a tough time in the pandemic.
Speaker 1: And by the way that city is coming around, it's turning around. Objectively, I love s F two objectively.
Speaker 2: You know, as I say, what is a criticism is an act of love.
Speaker 1: Yes, bless you. There's a lot of love, a lot of love.
Speaker 2: In this book, man, a lot of love in this book. But and then this is I think always the great uh paradox of California. California is the frontier of the future. It always has been. And technologically as you said, but also culture right. You go to northern California, we're inventing everybody's technology. You go to southern we're given the whole world. It's culture right, It's a wild place. And the to me, the reason the housing thing matters here, the reason I structure the housing chapter the way that that I do with Derek, is that you need to make it possible for people to be and and and prosper from that prosperity right, it is good for people.
Speaker 1: To be near the AI boom.
Speaker 2: I have friends. I mean they fought fires in the city of San Francisco, couldn't afford to live there.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: The point of California's riches is that they should be shared, not shared necessarily just through taxation and reistribution, but through the ability to people to go live in these super high productivity places. Where has happened with like a young Steve Jobs and Wosniak, you sort of fall into this world where maybe if you have a genius for something, you have the connections to make it matter.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I have this sort of line in the book that in making these cities so expensive, we did the real gating. We really closed the frontier, because the true frontier isn't land.
Speaker 1: Its ideas you frame it with Horace Greeley, go west, young Man, go west, and then you create that new construct.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I want to pull that. It's actually everything you say about California. And you know this I'm not telling, but I'm sanding for the audience that that makes it so important that like the working class families can be here are not driven out but on my speed rail. Let me because by.
Speaker 1: The way, just beg the housing crisis in this state explains more things and more ways on more days, that affordability issue is the core of ninety percent of California's real and structural problems. This is foundational. Again, you could not be more right. It is at the core of the issues that define the challenges not just to this state, increasingly all over the United States. We talk about the future happening here first, where America is coming to traction. That's all those wonderful things. Then you and I were just discussing, but obviously all of these perilous issues that you have been discussing, and the reason you wrote.
Speaker 2: This book so high speed rail. So when I went on and did the reporting on that, and I went up and down the track with the people building it and the people from the rail authority, and they told me a couple things that have stuck in my head that I don't try to resolve in the book, but I'd be careious for your thoughts. So one was that the said Bakersfield Leg, which is the leg that is currently being tried. I think they said they had something like line of sight either had spent or head line of sight on something like it was in the range of eleven to fifteen billion dollars.
Speaker 1: We thirteen point four billion dollars of which ten point eight from the state and two point six from the feds.
Speaker 2: All right, and that the estimate on finishing was said to Bakersfield was thirty six billion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, there's there's currently our estimates and this plus or minus and this moving target about six point five billion dollars that we based upon what we have the current commitments. We had additional three billion dollars from the federal government. Obviously, the term of administration is trying to analyze that as they did in the last time. And then cap and trade proceeds that will continue to accrue if we extend cap and trade. Can you bond against that? There's a lot of variations.
Speaker 2: So you're saying you think you have line of sight on the money we have with a delta six point five billion roughly, And what a bunch of the people working on set is like, look, in the end for this to really work, needs to be LA to San Francisco and now would cost one hundred and ten billion dollars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well we're looking at and I don't you know, Look, we've extended high speed rail the idea is to get it in these density and population quarterors, which is the point you make in the critique, and get Ta Fresno, for example, to Gilroy where Caltran is, and we can we can then connect to San Jose and into San Francisco. We have the existing infrastructure in place. That's about an hour you get into Palmdale. Now you're connecting with the new Bright line that's going all the way to Vegas and one of the fastest growing parts of the state in Palmdale, where middle class families can still afford a home. And so those are component parts and that's where I think that thirty six million billion dollar number came from. Those three component parts. Roughly add up to that now that to Hatchpee Mountains, getting them over all of those larger issues. Those are issues that obviously are component parts of.
Speaker 2: This larger and that'll be you know, over the course of many minuters.
Speaker 1: Right. Oh.
Speaker 2: But I think the I think the big question people have about it, and you hear people asking us all the time, is that And.
Speaker 1: I'm just write I inherited this.
Speaker 2: I'm not blaming governors on the dog.
Speaker 1: I'm just trying to think that.
Speaker 2: Question is if there is not a line of sight on that thirty six to one ten billion, right, that doesn't exist, and that's a very hard.
Speaker 1: Thing when you're trying to get revenue generation. Once you start getting the large population corridors, if you could connect Silicon Valley to Central Valley, which is the foundational argument, and you can start sharing. We're looking at train sets that have interoperability not just with bright Line, but a high desert corridors. You have two private sector partners and we're actually procuring train sets very very shortly, as I say we did the railhead. We're starting to lay track. This thing is starting to get very very real. Some of the projects you did see are projects that will have profound impacts economically in terms of the up zone, particularly in the Fresno corridor, and Fresno is a very.
Speaker 2: Important I think the big the big worry I heard from transportation types is that the ridership in those quarters, as fast growing as they may be, is not enough to throw off money. It's not even enough to handle that operating budget very likely, and it's definitely not going to throw off money that's going to complete one hundred and ten billion dollar train, and that we're finishing something that in the end is going to be a monument to not being able to Well there's the thing we want it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're not going to be able to build a new airport. We're not, you know, I mean the end of the day, we've got these constraints that are well established already, these pre existing constraints. There's not a high speed railing system that's not enjoying some popularity and success. Most at least are wildly popular. It's an experience no one's had in the United States of America. At least, we're out there daring and we're trying to it can be.
Speaker 2: Made that would make the next pieces just easier. I mean, I was always interested that, Like it wasn't exempted from sequel in the first place. It's a pro environmental project, I know. You know, are there things like that?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I mean, I wish you wrote this damn book in two thousand and seven. Wow, Where the hell were you? It's a good question, seriously, by the way, where were you? I was in Washington, man in Washington, was in Washington. I mean, but you're right, no, look, and I don't see it's the art of the possible, and I know that back to that's a practitioner framework. I mean, I love to intellectualize all these things what could have, should have, would have, but there's certain foundational facts. And interestingly, you made the point in the book that I have to over and over make to people, why did we start in the Central Valley? It was a requirement, federal requirement for federal dollars. Now it's not the worst idea, I mean the Intercontinental.
Speaker 2: Just to say it was a requirement because the federal program wasn't just for high speed rail. It's his start where you had air pollution for marginalized communities, which is both Like, I just want to say this because it's part of why I'm saying this in the book is that that all sounds great and there's you can come up with reasons starting Central Valley, but it's the part of the state that will generate the least political capital to keep going because it has the least danse ridership.
Speaker 1: But it's also part of the state that does have I mean, you know, you talk about it ignorance, poverty, and disease. You talk about the issues of air quality and life expectancy, you talk about the economic opportunity.
Speaker 2: But as air quality is the whole track.
Speaker 1: Well, ultimately fully electrified track. I mean that ultimately will This.
Speaker 2: Is just to me, it's an example. This one wasn't California's fault. This was the Obama administration. But it's an example of they should have given I want to say what I think should have happened here. They should have given you whatever three some billion dollars that's what that grant was, and just said use it for high speed rail.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: It shouldn't have been a stacked series of ideas. Right, it doesn't all need to be a triple axle. Right, high speed rail is hard enough, as you know better than I do.
Speaker 1: It's you know, representative democracy is a tough thing. Dictatorships are a little easy.
Speaker 2: Representative Tom knew that.
Speaker 1: You know, a lot of folks in the Central Valley, a lot of the elected officials, a lot of the blue dog Democrats a lot.
Speaker 2: But the Obama administration when they created those programs, right, yeah, that's a lot happening. I really, this isn't.
Speaker 1: There were a lot of representatives, Democrats, representers that still sipulated their support for that bill in those dollars that it go to the center.
Speaker 2: There is a lot to be politics in that. I don't want to take that away, but I do want to say because this comes up a lot when I'm talking about this book. It's like, oh, do you hate democracy? People have no fucking idea what is happening in these regulatory processes, Like I cover this professionally, and when I dig into what is happening after these bills pass, I'm like, oh my god, really that is not democracy. That is, we have created things that were supposed to a lot of participation and they are often very captured. Maybe they're captured by interests. You like, that's fine, but that is not the thing that you know, the massive Californians have voted for Prop one A knew they were getting. And even those of us covering the stimulus bill, we're not looking at the precise requirements in the notice of funding opportunity in the grant program. So there is this thing, I think where a lot of this highly technocratic governance, which is very much a negotiation between different interests, is in this like King's Cup Way being justified as democracy. That's not what democracy looks like. I'll use that chant here, right, I mean, it's not SHP. Nobody knows about you.
Speaker 1: Look, I mean you're you're very adjacent to the arguments that Elon Musk is making with Doge, this clay layer of bureaucracy. This is not representative. Who the hell are these people to make these rules? Who are these people making these decisions? And the opacity of these decisions? And I've made in sunshine and daylight and a lot of these three levels.
Speaker 2: Supposed to Nicholas Bagley, the more liberal law professor, making these rules. But I think I'll take the head.
Speaker 1: No, it's well, it's not even a hit. But I mean, I think it goes to the sentiment, it goes to I think it goes to the thematics of your book. It goes to what you're trying to stress test and what you're trying to stress upon us as Democrats, that we need to be more accountable. Here's anything. But let me make this point. I say this all the time, my legislative friends. Right when I sign a bill, I said, this happens so obviously not indictment of any individual legislature. It's in sort of institutionalized. They think the process is done, process just begun.
Speaker 2: Just beginning program again not problem.
Speaker 1: Solving, and then that implementation application goes through exactly what you're saying. What's an You mentioned no foes in in in the book, we have no fuzz, which I notice a funny availability, not opportunity. And then you stack all those things up with all these rules and requirements along the lines you suggest that was never part of anyone's understanding. Your vision is what you just saw this, And I think there's absolutegitimacy.
Speaker 2: I have this joke that everybody knows a schoolhouse rock song of like how a bill becomes a law, but what they don't know is how a law becomes or does not become like a reality, right, like the things that happened after actually much more complicated. But I want to say one thing about Elon Muskandoje And at this point I was just I just referenced Nick Bagley, who is a great administ of law professor of Michigan. He was Gretchen Whitmer's your your gubernatorial colleagues, chief counsel. He wrote this piece it's very influential these days and very influential for me, called the procedural fetish, And one of the things he says in that that I think is really wise is that the Democotic Party is very legalistic. It's got a lot of lawyers in it. Between Tim Walls was the first person on a Democratic ticket since Mondell to not go to law school. We're very legalistic and lawyers and constitutional lawyers and administrative procedure lawyers. They grapple a lot with a very hard question, which is what makes government action legitimate? And the answer they often come to his procedure right is following the procedures set out in the laws and the rules and the court orders, et cetera. It's not that there's nothing to that. But the point Bagley makes, which I think is the right counter or the way to think about the point Elon Musk is making, is it, to most people, what makes government legitimate in a democracy is it they are getting what they think they voted for. When they vote for you and you say you're going to do X, Y and Z, they got X, Y and Z. And if they don't feel like they got that, they vote you out right. They see you as illegitimate failure. And the problem with Musk and Doge, in addition to its lawless nature, is that its ends are terrible, and the people did not vote for, you know, not to be able to reach anybody at Social Security Administration or the IRS. Ever again on the phone, right, that wasn't part of the pitch, But it's I think really important that liberals have a little bit more of the sense not the procedure is meaningless, because it isn't you need procedure. But what really connects government to people is outcomes, the lived experience of government acting in their life. And if you are letting endless levels of not just process but process, you have created. I mean when we're talking about no foes and no fas, and I mean that is the work of men and women. You know, we are writing that shit down on the computer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and when we lost everyone, we opened up with sequences.
Speaker 2: And this is this is going to be a very high, high audience podcast. But when you do that, I think that that actually is a cultural change. The thing I respect about Elon Musk there's a lot these days I don't like about the guy, but there is a relentlessness to the way he pursues his objectives, a real sense it in between here and the end he is seeking might be a lot of pain a lot of disappointment, might be a lot of angry people. But if this is worth it, which on Tesla and SpaceX it was, and on destroying the federal government, in my view it isn't, then this is worth it, And that I think has not been the culture of liberal governance. The culture of liberal governance has actually been to try to generate political support by giving things to interest groups in the middle of the process. Right, you pass the bill, then there's a regulatory thing. Nobody's really paying attention to that, and you do a bunch of payoffs there, and then the thing doesn't work as well, or it's slower, or it's more expensive, and then people think you don't do a great job, and like that's actually undermining the legitimacy of government.
Speaker 1: Could agree more. By the way, sort of going back to that book, Citizen literally talks about this in the context of it's not inputs, it's outcomes. This pyramids inverting more choice, more voice. I talk about government being a vending machine where you put in your taxes, you get police, fire, healthcare, education. If you don't like what you get, you kick the machine, you shake the machine. And shifting that paradigm and not just government efficiency, but how government works. Moving away from you vote, I decide more of a participatory framework in between elections. We're finally starting to see the fruits of that vision, and near the end of my term in the context of these new models we've created, Engaged California, our new procurement platforms, the work that Jen Polka helps seed in the reforms we're doing as it relates to our large scale IT reforms. But look, this is this notion of being accountable. Society becomes how we behave we are behaviors. All this, to your point, happened on our watch. We own it. Democrats, we own it. Can't point fingers. You got to look in the mirror. You got to take responsibility. I think foundationally that's at center of this book, and I think it's very helpful and it's humbling as well, but it's critically important this time not only that we focus on situational politics, but how we're governing and how we're delivering real results, because I mean, if I have another press conference about how much money we're spending almost this, they're gonna take my head off. They want to see encampments off the damn street that's what they're measuring by. They want more housing so that the cost of that housing goes down because there's more supply. They don't give a damn about the process. They don't know what a nofa is or a no foe. They don't care about any of that stuff. You're one hundred percent right, it does matter. I think there's a balance that we have to find. We're trying to find that balance. We're iterating. But this notion of relentlessness is very resonant. What you just said. To be seen doing what you said about Trump a minute ago, we've got to be seen not defending the status quo, defending the high speed rail. This went really well for.
Speaker 2: Me, but defends into our breef.
Speaker 1: Sort of dynamic expectations that taxpayers rightfully are placed on us. But let me just end with that, because you and this book making that case from an abundance frame, back to this nomenclature around abundance. But you talk about DARPA, you talk about CRISPER, you talk about ARPA, NEET, going back in nineteen sixty nine, the origins of the Internet, you talk about the nih the NSF, you talk about all of these things. That few people that are listening even know, but that are important, and it relates to innovation. It's not an act that occurs, it's a process contradicting a little bit of what we just said that unfolds over time.
Speaker 2: Tell me a little bit, Well, everything's a process, so we don't want to say all processes are bad, just like all regulations are not good or bad. Yeah, this is the other piece of the book that we haven't talked that much about. But abundance is not just like me banging my fist on the table about how high speed relting get finished. It's also motivated in part by a belief that Democrats have developed a dysfunctional relationship with technology and in way of the future. Sure, and I sort of date this back in my own reading of it to around twenty sixteen, when I think the harms of social media became really salient to people. I think it got over blamed for the twenty sixteen election. I've never been a believer that misinformation was like the driver there. But it is rotting our brains and it's not making us better people, and it's fucking up our kids. Right, And it's represented by like a small crew of tech billionaires who you know, in the years since, have turned you know, more and more both right and weird, and I think the left got to become very skeptical of it. And one of the things that we're trying to say is that a huge amount of social progress, a huge amount of what makes it possible of the life better than the one we live now, is not just new social insurance programs, though those are very important and I would like to see some of them, or redistribution. It's technology, and it is also being thoughtful about the government's ability to organize resources and rules and manpower to pull technology from the future into the present. Right, the canonical example here is a Manhattan Project, But you can think of the Internet, which, as we talked about, you know, comes from the arpinnet. You can think about Operation warp Speed, like the one truly great success of Aalen Trump's first term, which is now disowned very much by him and and to some degree by the Democrats to some credit to a little bit. And so there is a There are a lot of problems like the only reason we have any shot on preventing a world of three or four degrees of warming Celsius is because we have created miracles through government policy in solar winds.
Speaker 1: Would not exist for the regulatory of.
Speaker 2: One of the great one of the great shames of what Elon Musk has become is that guy is a walking advertisement for the power of public private partnership. He is just like every major company he has done, is built on government subsidies, government loan guarantees.
Speaker 1: Government demand. In the original.
Speaker 2: Now guys just pulling the ladder up after him. It drives me fucking crazy, but I guess.
Speaker 1: But also it's a principle that you lay out as it relates to Dartha and which gave us GPS, gave us the self driving car he's now promoting that gave us so much of this innovation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and certainly that seated it. See and you know, look like I'm a big believer in universal healthcare. A lot of my career has been, you know, about trying to expand health insurance. But where health insurance.
Speaker 1: In the only state that does that, regardless of ability to pay in their resisting conditions and immigration.
Speaker 2: But there's a reality to this that for the people who have health insurance, which is most people, what really matters is when you get sick. Is there a cure? My wife is kept alive by shots of Vinceland. She just is. Right, at another age she wouldn't be. There is so much that we do not yet know how to cure, right, there is so much. I mean, what Medicare or Medicaid can offer, or private health insurance because they don't yet cover it for most people with GLP ones is just more valuable than what it could offer before GLP ones. These are going to be transformational medications for people they already are. And so getting really serious about what we want the government to do technologically and having a vision of the future that is an abundant one, right, a vision of the future that is not just about like how cheap consumer goods are. That's fine, but it's about the things we need to build or better a life right, cheap energy, cheap healthcare right, abundant housing, education. Right. There's a lot of things we only touch on in the book that are really important here. I think that one of the shames of politics in the last couple of years is it got to be a really bitter argument over our past, right, with the r right.
Speaker 1: Notion of American reverse pre nineteen.
Speaker 2: Sex the right that is gripped by a deep nostalgia for an America. I think that never really was, and the left was really focus, really focused on the injustices of our history, which I think are very real. So I'm not trying to undermine that as a thing worth confronting, but I think visions of the future, for different reasons on both sides, became really degraded. Cole and one thing that did change with Trump between his first term and the second is Elon Musk Mark Andriesen. In a way RK. Junior, they changed his meaning. Trump was the defender of the past America in twenty sixteen, Make America Great Again. All these futurist influencers and you know, rocket makers and so on. They sort of made him into something that represented a kind of future. I think it's quite dark one, but it is, but there is around him. JD. Vans right, It changed what he meant and I think to compete with that, and given that they're going to destroy the present, I don't think it's going to end up being a very attractive vision to people. But to compete with that, I think Democrats need to figure out how to represent a future again. I think Obama represented the future. I think Bill Clinton represented the future. And like both that sort of ability to grab reform, which is part of what abundance is about, reform of government, and that ability to grab the high ground of the future, which is the other part of what it's about. This ability to integrate a theory of technology and an optimism about it, and the ability to sort of rapid in policy. Those things are really important. We haven't talked about AI. There's a lot coming here that's going to be very important, and the party that medical frame and the party and the thinkers in it are going to have to be alert to this side of it too, because it is a mistake to think of politics as a separate sphere from technology. You know, if we could do more modular housing, it would change what is possible in housing policy.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: These things are bi directional, they're intertwined, and like, I would like to see a liberalism that isn't just angry about a bunch of things that government is failed to do, as I am, but it is also optimistic about what is possible. And that's where that vision between red and blue states really diverges. I mean Trump and them, they're trying to destroy winded solar. They don't want this vision. They don't want more trade, they don't want more people. Right there, it's all scarcity, and that leads a pretty big opening for the Democratic Party to capture both reform and abundance from them.
Speaker 1: I love that and it's a great way to end because it's a framework of optimism, of course, you know, and I appreciate just I'm thinking about Clinton, don't stop thinking about tomorrow. I mean, obviously there was language around that, and you know, talking about your tomorrow's not his. Yesterday's obviously the journey that we were on in the nineteen sixties with the vision that was JFK. But I will say about our state, and it's a point of pride and in principle for me as governors said, or as the future ex governor, as a fifth generation California future happens here first. And I talked about this being America's coming attraction. But that's that's the game that separates, I think our game from the game played everywhere else. It's the reason we went from the seventh largest economy to the sixth largest economy in the world, and we dominate in so many spears even today. But you're absolutely right. We now have to dominate on that reform agenda and we have to deal with the original sin and that's housing and again being accountable to these larger visions as well and deliver and level set with folks. And so it's in that spirit of an abundant mindset that Ezra, I'm glad you took the time to be here. I'm really moreover pleased you took time to write this book, which is an essential reading for everybody listening. Thanks for being with us, Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 2: Thank you