Speaker 1: Welcome back to another episode of Car Stories with k and Amelia Hartford Mike from Evasive Motorsports joining us in the booth. Mike founded Evasive Motorsports in two thousand and two with his partner Tony. Not only do they sell aftermarket product for the community, but they also build and race and sponsor other cars and drivers.
Speaker 2: And why is Evasive they go to aftermarket parts company because there's a whole bunch of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I think in our conversation the listeners will find that he has this passion, this love where he just kind of devotes everything into trying to perfect a car, almost like an ekey guy guy.
Speaker 2: Eke guy, it's the Japanese ancient term that came from the northern part of Japan from the showgun Dyna the yakumoko.
Speaker 1: I can't feel of your bullshitting or not.
Speaker 2: Yoshino ah san.
Speaker 1: In the first half.
Speaker 2: What does that mean? Ikey guy?
Speaker 1: Ikey Guy is essentially finding what your purpose on life is. And with the conversation with Mike from Evasive, it's that it wasn't money that motivated him, it was building cars. He's essentially dominated the market and very well respected for building tuner cars, specifically the EVO nine and the S two K, and doesn't have any plans of slowing down anytime soon.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I really wanted to sit down with Mike because I've always seen Evasive around the community and when you ask anybody about Evasive, their reputation is stillar There's nobody pucks any crap about them. And I wanted to know how do they last for twenty years and they're so respected and beloved in the car community, and like, what is their magic sauce?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you may know Evasive, but a lot of people don't know directly the owners because I feel like they're more private about their lives and they're so focused on trying to give back to the community.
Speaker 2: And it seems like Mike is a super like shy guy. But you know somebody like him that has been able to create a thriving business for the past two decades. Yeah, right, they're onto something. So something to learn from Mike.
Speaker 1: I also learned what mushing was mushing mushing all right, you guys, without further ado, Mike from Evasive.
Speaker 2: Hi, Mike, Hi, Amelia and I were talking this morning, were like, so Mike's coming from evasive we know nothing about you, oh, which is pretty awesome that we get to start this podcast. So Evasive sells. What do you? Guys sell?
Speaker 3: Pretty much everything, like anything from lug nuts to body kids, wheels, tires, like anything you want to, like, you know, tune up a car.
Speaker 1: Okay did it always start like that?
Speaker 3: It did? I mean, you know, it started as something I did in college as a hobby. So like we we started selling lugnuts. Actually really it was it was something easy to ship and it was in Hi the mend, you know, lugnuts. Yeah, because a lot of times before, like this is twenty years ago, people would buy wheels and they would run like kind of jinky looking lugnuts. So we started selling like color and fancy lugnuts and people loved it and we would sell like you know at first, you know, this is all out of Mike arroage.
Speaker 2: Where's this garage? Where'd you grow up?
Speaker 3: This is when I went to kel Poly so it was like West Cofina.
Speaker 2: Area, So you grew up you're selling caliboy?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, Well I was born in Taiwan actually, so and I moved here and I was like ten, but I went to school in La and then went to cal Poly and then yeah, back to the lugnuts.
Speaker 1: It was you're in school slinging lung nuts exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, and we actually bought the url like King of Nuts. When you went to that l you went to EVAs the Motorsports. So that's how kind of got started. And we were selling like like twenty thirty packs of lugnuts a day, and then from there we kind of expanded to what we you know, what else we carry obviously you know those like intakes and exhaust all all the other stuff, but like bigger items. Obviously we can't wear warehouse it in my garage, so you know, we're doing drop ships and then you know, one thing leads to another and then we me and my business partner. Okaya, so me and Tony. Tony's my business partner. We kind of started together mean through my wife actually, so my wife and him there were like high school friends and then just when I was dating her, I met him and then we're both super into cars. Like this is like this is the era where like e commerce was just barely getting started. What year was this, I would say year two thousand, two thousand. Yeah, so there's like a handful of people selling car parts online. So we're like, and he is actually, you know, he's actually a computer science major, so he's really good with the computer and like you know, coding and stuff. So like, hey, we're both into cars, why don't you build a website and I'll be like the kind of like the parts runner and I'll do the you know, the operations. And that's kind of how it started.
Speaker 1: Wow, how did you come up with the name evasive?
Speaker 3: He came up with it. Yeah, I was like sure and whatever.
Speaker 2: So what's that mean? Evasive?
Speaker 3: Like it's kind of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, iris.
Speaker 3: So people make jokes about it all the time, like you're evading your customers, but like, but I feel like it's more like like on the racetrack, because like you know, that's what we're about, Like you can't catch us. Like it's like we're very like sneaky evasive, like we're like just passing people whatever. You know. That's kind of like I like like to take it as that.
Speaker 2: So you and Tony bonded because your love affair for cars.
Speaker 3: For sure?
Speaker 2: What cars were you into that you guys had a common bond.
Speaker 3: We both had integrals, So like Honda as like our route.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's kind of like a car parts startup in the two thousand.
Speaker 3: Totally yeah, totally reach car parts. And then we try to do we try to build a website to be very like lifestyle ish, like you know, we're we have we put up our cars and we kind of like did it in a way where like this is how we build our cars, and we have like t shirts, you know, kind of like it's not just like here's a bunch of parts, go buy it. Like we already try to represent like kind of like the way we build cars. And then if you kind of like how we do these hondas up, then maybe you'll buye with us.
Speaker 2: You know, so what started you in the cars? Like we'll get you into that.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I mean, I just remember when I was a kid, you know, like I just I was drawn to like toy cars, like it's it's I don't know exactly when like I had that connection. But it's funny because I was like part of like a car crew in the like the pors show off days. I don't know if you remember, like car show would just be really big.
Speaker 2: Hot im poort nights type of show off and poor show off. Yeah, what's that you know that I've heard?
Speaker 1: I don't like I know more than Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the nineties, way, how old are you? I'm forty three?
Speaker 2: Forty three? Oh he looks like he's twenty two.
Speaker 3: Okay Asian jeans. Yeah, like in push office like the biggest thing ever. Everyone just goes to a car show and they have it like in del Maar, like San Diego they have Nise show Off and Little Tokyo. I was part of a car crew. You were young. It's like I want to belong somewhere. So like I was in the cars. So they approached me and said I wanted to draw on a car crew and then you know, and then that's how I really got like involved in cars.
Speaker 2: Oh there's a car cruise.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that was like the thing like everybody belonged with into a car crew back in the days, like if you're solo and it's like, oh, kind of weird, Like it's just like you know, by yourself. So everyone had to like I'm part of this crew and part of that crew. It's like a night.
Speaker 1: My crew when I moved to Indiana was called B Crew for Bloomington, Indiana. B Crew yeah, that's what we called ourselves.
Speaker 2: What was your cruise name?
Speaker 3: Hybrid hybrid Hybrid. I don't know what they call it, team Hybrid.
Speaker 2: I guess hybrid hybrid.
Speaker 1: Twenty years later, there's.
Speaker 3: Still still around.
Speaker 1: It's crazy Hybrid's now.
Speaker 3: Prias is Noel. Yeah, no, they're still around, still doing the same thing.
Speaker 2: Wow. I guess the need to be part of a crew will always continue for people, right, yeah.
Speaker 1: I guess in a very ancestry type thing of needing to find that family. Yeah, the tribe. Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: That was never part of a car crew because I was too poor to have a car really when I was young. But I was part of a break dancing crew. I was We had these like fake Adidas like jumpsuits were like red and black. We're called the Tiger Crew, right. It was so stupid, and there was like five of us and four dudes could actually pop and break and I could barely do the categillar.
Speaker 3: Like barely do that.
Speaker 2: So they were like, all right, you want to wear the crew, you can, you can carry the stereo and I would just sit there like really on press play. Never they never let me dance, but it was cool to be part of it because you go to school and you wear the jumpsuit. They just show up and you're like, Yo, what's up man?
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 2: We didn't you know, we didn't go like fight, but we talked shit like Yo, Yo, Mike, what you're looking at?
Speaker 1: Yo? Man?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yo, what's your crew?
Speaker 1: Dragon Crew? Let's go We're going to dance this sound.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was kind of thing. Is like you get to wear the team gear, right, and you feel like like like you have backup in some in case something goes down. Like that's I think that's the mentality like when you're young growing up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So when the Hybrid crew, what was the initiation?
Speaker 3: There wasn't much initiation.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: I think if you have a cool car, like it started off like, oh, if you have a cool car and you you know, you're friendly and like people get along with you, then yeah, join our crew is super simple. But then like as a as the crew got bigger, it's when I kind of left. I was like there started to have politics and like they started collecting fees and all this stuff. I'm like, okay, yeah, I'm not really yeah.
Speaker 1: And I feel like to clarify for those listening who aren't maybe in the car World when you have a car crew and correct me if I'm wrong. And my experience is different. You used to go on the forums and just find people who had the like making models of your vehicle. They'd probably meet at some parking garage or somewhere, and you would just show up in order to meet people who had similar interests of yours. And over time that's where it becomes political, like well, we need money for you to show up, or you need to buy this, or we're doing this track event and you need to come with us if you're part of it. But yeah, it was a great way to meet people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it was really simple too, Like you said, it was really like, hey, I like you, I like your car.
Speaker 1: Let's go hang out, Let's go Kirk somewhere in toime.
Speaker 3: It wasn't like complicated like these days. You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we're old now.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah. I think for young people in movies different, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I have found it's harder and harder to find where the events are. You have to know someone who knows. I was recently in Puerto Rico and I was trying to find just any car event, any Sunday cars and coffee anything, because I wanted to like see the community out there, but just googling it or going on Facebook and all that, it was near impossible to find. I feel like people don't post about it as much anymore. It's kind of just word.
Speaker 3: Of mouth, yeah, or like they have their circle of friends that yeah, the same people that come out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Kelli, I mean here, it's like the Mecca car events, right, there's like one every.
Speaker 1: Other day much Yeah, smaller events. I feel like more and more there starting to get rid of a couple shows like Sunset GT was a big one. They're no longer doing that. The Malibu Cars and Coffee kind of shut down.
Speaker 2: That's gone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why the residents didn't Well maybe the shop owners didn't appreciate.
Speaker 1: All the I don't entirely know the politics behind it, but yeah, So there.
Speaker 2: Was one in Woodland Hills, the Cars and Coffee and Woodland Hills. That's gone too.
Speaker 3: Supercar Sunday is that the one?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was, right, and then there was.
Speaker 1: One in there's one in Westlake still that happens. Oc still happens. That one's still around.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh see, yeah, that one's yeah, I think once a month the problem is.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of police who show up who even if you're not doing anything wrong, they want to ticket you or pull you over for having any modifications to your car.
Speaker 2: It's that's that takeovers I think it is too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you guys are big into supporting drivers. You race Pike's Peak, right, and you do a bunch of racing elements too, more so than just selling products. When did that come about? Do you also build cars for people?
Speaker 3: Now? Yes, we we build cars for people. We have a shop that's full service, like there's a Dino alignment rack like fabrication, so like anything could be done in the shop. And as far as racing goes, it's probably started in six I would say, you know, one of my favorite things to do was watch like you know, Best Motoring or like these uh these shows that come out of Japan of you know how they basically their style of building cars and and the thing that was big was Time Attack, which is, you know, basically a car like it's like qualifying to see who goes the fastest around this whatever particular lap. In O six, we picked up our evo miss Bishi Evo, and then we turned that into like a time Attack Car and that's kind of where it started. Since then, like every single year we've been just trying to find ways to build new cars or race in certain like events, whether it be Time Attack or a Pike's Peak. And then uh, we've shipped the car to Japan actually to compete before at scoop A Circuit, So that was really cool. But yeah, I would say like motorsport is like the main focus for like the company.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I erase for you guys, grow for you guys.
Speaker 3: He drove for us for five straight years now for Pike's Peak and also for just various track events.
Speaker 1: And Die is Dio Shihara who we had on this podcast.
Speaker 3: Great guy, Yeah, super super chill guy.
Speaker 2: So Evasive is like your own little car crew now.
Speaker 3: Sorry of Yeah, I would say so, yeah, I mean I would consider all of our customers to have the same mindsets as we do. We like just more performance oriented guys who are into like not just fixing up the car, but like for a reason to maybe go faster on track. That's the kind of customer base we have just because you know, everything we put out there is performance based. You know, we're not really building show cars. We're building cars for specific reasons, you know, like this is for Pike's Peak, and this is for time attack, or this is for or maybe some sort of racing event. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like that that that demographic or that culture is growing.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, sure to hear for sure. Yeah, because like back in the days, nobody took their cars to the track. It wasn't you know, it wasn't even a thing where like I think most of the cars would break down, you know, like that the way people tune cars back in the days was not good for the track. You know, it will overheat. I just things we're not going to work. But these days people actually buy, you know, they shop for quality parts, parts that actually work, you know. And then a lot of it's based on our feedback too, you know. So like if we build a car with certain type of wing splitter that generates a lot of downforce, and they shaved this a lot of time, would tell the customers, hey, this works. You don't have to go research. Just by this part. You will go two seconds faster at this track. So that's kind of like our approach.
Speaker 2: Oh so you and Tony actually like go to the track till you guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I used to drive a lot. Actually, yeah, maybe it's been like ten years, but I used to compete at events.
Speaker 1: So you started with tuners. It sounds like you specialize in tuners, But do you guys also do it? And I'm sorry if this wasn't you guys? Did you do a Tesla? Also?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, didn't you set a record with that?
Speaker 3: It was I think it was last year's Pike's Peak. It was the fastest ev to go up the mountain, But I don't know if that's a record.
Speaker 1: Issue was the time?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was just the fastest EV to go up. But we built the car in twenty twenty one. It was Model three, and that was a really interesting experience. I feel like it was one of those things where like I see Tesla's everywhere, and I just saw, hey, you know, if it's like like the Civic, right, you see civics everywhere, everybody's gonna want to stand out from each other. So I'm like, hey, Tesla could be that car. So that's why we built Tesla race car and kind of like you know, ran it for two years and it was good learning experience.
Speaker 2: Because evasive it Motorsports is everywhere, Like anybody who's like you know, tuning their car or modifying it for the track. At least think Southern Kelly, you guys are an institution.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: What do you think was the secret for you and Tony to be able to last this long? Because it's been, like you said, like almost like twenty years now.
Speaker 3: It's twenty twenty two going on twenty two years now.
Speaker 1: That's a long time.
Speaker 3: It's a long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sometimes I'm like, I spent more than half my life doing this home, I realize, But.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's a trippy thought to have.
Speaker 3: It is, yeah, it is. But I think I think the key is just like we find our passion, which is motorsports, and we just do that without really thinking about like that the recipe works, right, I think to build cars that really like inspire like people and inspire ourselves, like these track cars and whatnot, and just put it out there, and then the customers do tend to come, like we attract the right customers, you know, and we've just done that since day one. I feel like, you know, we're not I think we're not thinking about sales numbers. We're not thinking about, hey, let's do promotion every month. We're just thinking about what can we put out into this like whorld of like tuning cars that keeps people value and they see it and they're like, hey, I want my car to look like that, and I want to build my car to be like that. And they, you know, the customers just follow us and just do the same things we do. And that's I think that's why we've been around for so long.
Speaker 2: When did you come from Taiwan when I was ten? Have you been back lately?
Speaker 3: Just a couple of times in the past, like twenty years, not really.
Speaker 2: You know, I was just there for like months. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, it's pretty amazing city.
Speaker 3: Taiwan is is awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah have you been there?
Speaker 1: I want to go.
Speaker 2: I mean the car, the car that community called True there's like deep like you'll go into I remember this dude like we're driving to like a cigar bar, right, and he goes he goes, oh, yeah, you want to go see some cars and I was like, we're talking about it. He goes, yeah, my friend he stores some cars and like get the bottom of this parking lot, right, he goes, We'll stop by to say what's up before we go to the scar bar. And Yo, there was like at least like sixty super rare wow, super rare European Japanese. They had like at least thirty sets of like all three carros in there with all this fabric and a wall full of like these rare Italian steering whells. And I was like, that one's beautiful, and he goes, I have a couple of those, and he gives it to me and he goes, it's a gift, right. And then the same dude he has a shop and he was fixing his FD. He wanted to show me his FD and he opened a copy shop there and he goes, yeah, there's a tenant that rents out like you know, one of the floors here. There was probably like I don't know exactly, but at least five hundred million dollars worth of cars in there. Five hundred million wow, right, Like he had everything in there like and it's all just covered with plastic, like every Ferrari he had like area MacLaren, right, and I'm like, what what what is this? And very low key, you know, he drives like a mini van. This is daily, right, And you would never know this dude has like all these cars and I would never guess like all these cars are in Taiwan. Yeah, you know, it's it's something like people really underestimate Taiwan because a lot of like great parts are actually manufactured in Taiwan. Yeah right, the car.
Speaker 3: Parts, especially electronics too. They're like super advancing electronics in Taiwan.
Speaker 2: So that's right. You know YouTube came from Taiwan.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And the food is great too.
Speaker 2: I go there for the food, Yeah, spectacular.
Speaker 3: Everywhere you go. It's like like ten out of ten.
Speaker 2: I'd say some of the best jet in these food I've ever had is in Taiwan really because it was it was like a Commonwealth of Japan, so there's bits of Taiwan. There's like whole Japanese street where like all the restaurants are still Japanese and bars and stuff, and you go and you go have sushi. It's like Sushi Masters there and it's cheap.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like for the listeners, you guys want a vacation, go to Taiwan. It's yeah, people are super sweet there, all right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's really small too. It's like it's only like five million people. That's the population. Pretty small isling, Yeah, like real island culture.
Speaker 1: So you were exposed to cars when you were there at.
Speaker 3: A young age, not in Taiwan, Yeah, just.
Speaker 1: More toy cars you gravitated towards.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, so like you know, when I moved to the States, Yeah, and my my older cousin had a Miyata at that age. I was like, Oh, it's the coolest car ever, you know. So I was like, You're gonna let me drive it one day? Right, He's like nope. So from that point I was like, you know, get my own car one day. I led to that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did you finish and get a agree at cal Poly?
Speaker 3: I did?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What did you get your degree in marketing? Were your parents happy for you? Or were they like, why are you selling lugnuts on the internet? You need to go get You're supportive? Actually really that's great.
Speaker 3: Yeah it's not. I don't think I have the typical Asian parents were like, hey, what are you doing? Like this is they stay solved? Maybe they solve the potential. I think the amount of lugnuts grew overnight as far as like how much inventory we had, where in the little garage we had, and they never gave me any crap about it. And then yeah, till this day, they still think what I do is cool.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like you look at the world differently than other people in a positive way, like when it comes to business or when it comes to.
Speaker 3: I just think like, you know, the possibility of things. You know, like I feel like anything could be done when I think about building cars or like how it can make an impact, Like anything is doable. You know, maybe step outside of what's normal.
Speaker 2: Where does that come from?
Speaker 3: I think I think it's just the creative side of me. Like I just feel like, you know, I'm always like looking to create something, you know, Like I'm like a very private person, but I like to express myself through the business. So like building cars, like racing, doing all these things, like you know, it's I think it's a way for me to just like fully express, you know, my creative side.
Speaker 1: So when you're looking at a project, you look at it more from a creative perspective or do you start crunching numbers in your head of like performance skins.
Speaker 3: I think the creative first, but then obviously as a business owner, I have to think about like doesn't make sense right, like if it brings any value or you know, like does it make sense for Dye to drive his car, you know, like what does he get out of it? Like these things obviously run through my head, but I think the first thing I think about is like, like, how can I just like build a car that will make people stop and look, you know, and be like, hey, this is something different.
Speaker 1: So is there one that you're most proud of in your career?
Speaker 3: I would really think the S two thousand are that we just completed like earlier this year. It's something that I'm like super proud of. You guys know anything about the S two thousand RIL. Have you heard about it?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Tell us?
Speaker 2: This is a car you guys built?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah. So S two thousand R is like a concept that like we came up with maybe three four years ago. Hondas you know, Type Ours has always been like the top model for any Honda models like Integrat Type ARE or Civic Type Are. They never made one for the S two thousand, you know, for a good reason, probably because the car is so well sorted already there's really no need for a Type Our version. So the idea came to me is like, hey, why don't we take this S two thousand put all the knowledge we've learned the past twenty years on this car into this car and build it for street use, not a race car, for something that we can sell as a finished car to you know, the consumer.
Speaker 1: All the car or the upwards to make it a car.
Speaker 3: The actual car. Yeah. So, like the idea was to build a limited number of these cars and people could just buy it turn key and they could you know, they could have fun with it and drive it. So the car is powered by the new Civic type our engine, which is like a turbo charge from the factory. It makes about like three hundred horse power three hundred pounds of torque, which is like more than enough for that little rolster. So we put that in there. Like the interior has been redone with all the carbon seats and all the panels are replaced with carbon fiber and all. No, just like to improve what the S two thousand is, but just make it more modern and make it like faster, lighter, and just more fun. So, like, I think that's probably one of the one of the cars that I'm really proud of, and we're still working on maybe launching it next year.
Speaker 1: That's exciting, guys.
Speaker 2: They're making like a bespoke two thousand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Linger singer approach, Yeah, I would say, but not as hardcoreously you.
Speaker 1: Know, that's the legacy without even realizing it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, And it's like, I don't think anyone's ever done that concept to a Honda.
Speaker 2: You know, how much is the car going to go for things?
Speaker 3: I think it's going to be probably a little bit over two hundred ground for US two thousands.
Speaker 1: So who's going to make this car purest?
Speaker 3: Actually it's it's really interesting. We brought the car to Moderate Car Week. It's on display. You know, obviously there's a lot of wealth and a lot of people like Ferraris, and you know, I've got a lot of emails from people, but hey, tell me more about this car. I'm interested. And these are guys that are like, hey, I want to add this to my collection of like Ferraris and like whatever. Like they have no idea what a S two thousand is to probably never had one before, but they're interested because they're like, oh, this looks kind of cool, right, But yeah, I think I don't know all walks of life. I think if they see the car, they'll appreciate it.
Speaker 2: And what all walks of life that doesn't.
Speaker 3: Life as far as you're a rich walk of life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, two hunder grand.
Speaker 2: That means you have to make even like to afford to buy that car.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean even like I'm thinking like people who once had a S two thousand, Right, it came out on ninety nine, So if you had an S two thousand ninety nine, you got rid of it by now you're probably like older or affluent. You probably don't drive some fancy car. Be like, you know what, I missed the S two thousand. You could come to us, be like I want to buy this two thousand because it's all done, it's modern whatever. You know, you could get that same car again.
Speaker 1: Well there's the saying build it and they will come.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so yeah, I mean what there's so many versions of this type of R car right, Like I was in Poland, I saw like a quatro version. There's the two four y z version, And like my friends in Bradford, England, they do that, and I always ask the questions like why do you guys dedicate like your life doing that? It's super cool And I wish I had something like that, like a material thing where I could like focus and dedicate like all of my soul like these guys. They put one hundred percent of their soul into these cars, and when you look at them from the outside, they look like just weirdos. You sacrifice time with your family. You don't really make that much money off of these things, right, and you're in the garage all day and for what? And then when you meet people like in Japan, like the there's a people who focus on one thing, right, They nerd out on one thing, They geek out on one thing, They like become obsessive.
Speaker 1: I know, sorry all think of the saying of it, but I know.
Speaker 2: Charat so and then you actually you meet these people and then you're like, what what are they focusing on? Just like blue jeans.
Speaker 1: Eku guy eku guy eku guides that have you heard of this? Sorry? I think so, Sorry, keep keep continueing you're saying.
Speaker 2: And then but so I agree with you in that you build it and then people will recognize the passion. Like you know, when you put your like one hundred percent of your soul into something, eventually there's people that need to feed off of that. It seems like you know, Mike, like these cars or like your your version of like your arts, or like you're right yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and like you said, we just we just put put it out there and then people will come like it's it's true. You know, like it's satisfying to know that people actually appreciate what you do. You know, even if it's like a very small number of people, you know, it's still I still think it's it's really cool.
Speaker 1: It's art.
Speaker 2: It's cool that you guys focused on one type of car that I didn't know that I didn't know that was like your main thing. Yeah, very evasive, and I mean twenty years that's like like twenty thousand hours of investing, like your life into this car. So you're super excited to see what this s two thousand are it turns into yeah or becomes right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a cult, like a cult following for the car. Yeah, and that's how we're still in business catering to one car. You know.
Speaker 2: So do you think car culture in the States has surpassed Japan? There's an argument to that that car culture in Japan is kind of disappearing compared to you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think a lot of it is due to the fact that like Japan, where I would say maybe ten twenty years ahead of the US, as far as like when they reached their peak in cartooning. You like, a lot of the og tuners are probably like sixty ish years old. Now in the US, we're reaching our peak now, Like guys like my age in the forties, we're like continue trying to figure out ways to push the boundaries of like what tuning is right. And I feel like in Japan they don't have somebody that kind of filled in that gap afterwards. You know, there wasn't a generation after that follow and be like, hey, let's go crazy with these cars, you know, like let's keep it going, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Well, Japan's thing was really form over function, right, US was a very functional reform. So in Japan, a lot of it was like how beautiful can you make these cars? How fun can you have with them? How excessive can you go? And in the States is very much who cares what it looks like, just make it go fast. So it sounds like you brought that to the States at like that pivotal time of before the age of social media, before people could really see what was going on overseas, to then bring that type of culture back to the States a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I think in Japan it was function m form at the same time, like they had the fastest cars, yet they looked like they could. When any car show it goes to I think that's like that perfection they seek right when they build cars. It wasn't just about make it go fast, like it literally needs to look top notch and go fast, right. So yeah, and that was really what drove me to their tune the way they build cars in their tuning culture.
Speaker 1: Life lessons. If you were to talk to your younger self, what would you tell yourself.
Speaker 3: I think the number one thing is just try try everything and just like if it doesn't work out, I think you have time on your side. I think the biggest thing is like I feel like when people are young and they make decisions, they feel like, oh, if I mess up, I'll never recover from this. It's like it doesn't like getting older. It makes you realize like, no, like if you are young, anything's possible, you know. I just feel like I some certain certain risks I didn't really take I should have. I wish I would have been more like open to like all kinds of crazy ideas, you know, when I was like just starting off the business, even though I built it like kind of slowly into what it is now. I feel like, you know, if I just be more open minded about things, it would have been better.
Speaker 2: What would you like people to know about like you and evasive and like, you know when they listen to this, right, it's not there's a lot of people that don't know anything about cars and actually don't give a shit about cars at all, because that's not what our podcast is.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: What would you want people to like walk away from you know, this podcast because there's a reason why you're here, because you wanted to like talk to us.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, so yeah, I think I think the number one thing I want people to know is like, you know, like we like there's like people who like myself and I think my whole team I could speak for them, like we're all passionate people about what we do. I feel like a lot of times that's lost in this world where like people are just doing things for business reasons, you know. Like the thing that gets me going, like we you know, spoke about earlier, is like building these cars, these new ideas, like it's a former expression. Like I feel like a lot of times that's like that's lost, Right, so you know, if anything to take away, it's like, you know, like us, yes, we're running a business at the end of the day, but like we're we're true car people. You know, we're passionate about what we do, and you know it really matters to us, like waking up and trying to do something that you know, that feels rewarding. So you know, and I think I think that's you know that that's a message for most people. It's like if you find something you're passionate about, like there's an opportunity that comes up, like go for it, you know, like and then just stick with it.
Speaker 1: So ekey guy is a reason for being. It's a Japanese concept referring to something that gives a person a sense of purpose, a reason for living.
Speaker 2: Ekey guy, ikey guy, ekey guy. Kind I've never heard this before.
Speaker 1: Ekey guy, eke guy.
Speaker 2: Look up otaku.
Speaker 3: Is that just like a like a kind of like a geek.
Speaker 1: Is that a young person who's obsessed with computers or particular aspects of popular culture to detriment of their social skills.
Speaker 3: I mean they're like super super focused on one thing right into super into one thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I could see those going hand in hand you don't really into anything, and also finding your sense of purpose.
Speaker 2: I mean if I think if you can find balance, but you know, I think a lot of people that obsess over something there's no balance in their life. Right, Yeah, you think you have balance?
Speaker 3: I think so. I think so. I mean I don't feel like I'm always balanced, you know, like sometimes I feel like I need to step backwards from certain things. But the wife's happy, the kids are happy, so I feel like, yeah, maybe are you happy? I feel like you can't be happy all the time. Right, It's like it's one of those things like you always feel like there's something missing. You're always chasing for something and.
Speaker 2: What are you chasing? What does that mean you're chasing?
Speaker 3: I'm not sure what it is?
Speaker 1: Like in thrill?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, like you know, could be anything. You know, it's like something you just feel like something's missing.
Speaker 1: When were you happiest to last we won pikes Peaker, Yeah, you're real secret, that's what.
Speaker 3: So racing really like fulfills that missing piece, I guess. Yeah, So like when we do well at a race event, like like we spec Champagne on Die and stuff, that's like those are the times of like maybe that's the times I'm chasing like that feeling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you can't always live in that permanently because then you're gonna always try to find what's after that, right of course.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've known Die for forever now too, Like we're super good friends.
Speaker 1: How did you guys meet through my wife? Well you met Tony through your wife too, right? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Wa, what does your wife do?
Speaker 3: No, she used to be more involved in cars. Yeah, like she she did some I would say, like modeling for like clothing brands back in the days.
Speaker 1: Sounds like you know your wife for a lot, buy a nice bouquet of flowers on your drag home.
Speaker 3: The F one tip was for her birthday, So I took her.
Speaker 1: Oh was it really? Oh that's sweet? Did she have a great time?
Speaker 3: She loved it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love her.
Speaker 3: She took me to my first F one race, which is uh oh seven for my birthday? So was that at Cota Montreal?
Speaker 2: Okay, I think you guys have been married sixteen years since O seven?
Speaker 1: What is the recipe for marriage?
Speaker 3: What do you think?
Speaker 2: What do you think you've been able to last this long?
Speaker 3: Well, we've had our shares of like ups and downs. But I think I think if you truly love somebody like you will actually take the time and be like, hey, let's talk about our problems. Right. I think it's when you stop talking that's just when it goes all downhill. Like I'm not a very talkative person, you know, especially like two people around me, but I'm like, no, I need to step up and just be like, hey, this is what's the problem. What's bothering me, what's bothering you? Let's talk about it. And then every time we have that serious talk, things get better. So I think communication is probably the number one thing, you know. I think people when they don't say anything, it's like, how do I know what you want? You know, you have to like express your needs to each other to make sure that they're met. Right.
Speaker 1: I heard somewhere someone say, never go to bed angry that you loved one. Always talk it out, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Because eventually just start resenting each other and it's never good.
Speaker 2: So when you guys are like working on these cars, you're not at home a lot because you guys are working on their cars, right, Yeah, And she's cool with that.
Speaker 3: She's like totally totally has anything work related. She never questions. She knows. It's like it's for work, you know. So but these days I don't I don't do the all nighters too much anymore.
Speaker 2: So I had a lot of problems with my wife anytime I would do like a project carm And I realized something lately is that, you know I've been very selfish with the car stuff. Is that I never included her, you know, And it's something that I think, you know, like hanging out with you, Amelia, and then also like meeting couples right that do like motorsport together they have a car project together, like all of a sudden, like it was like the lens was like cleared, and I was like, what if I I've been doing like no wonder Like I used to like point the finger at her and go, god, you know, you give me like too much stress, Like what's the big deal. Like it's not like I'm going out drinking and like partying. I'm just like hanging out with the boys and like, you know, we're working on a car for what like And I realized, like I was like, what is the problem with our relationship? Like why are we get you know, becoming so distant? Right? We even like stop like sleeping in the same room for a while because I would get home at like three o'clock or something, and she just I could tell that she's just pissed off, right, and and like I woke up, it was like this clarity going. It was all me. It was just this selfish thing of like, nah, you know, cars for the boys, and like, I'm I hang out with the guys, and this is like my time. And I created that problem.
Speaker 1: And she loves you and just wants to spend time with you.
Speaker 3: So have you like invited her two more car stuff since.
Speaker 2: Well, I've been looking for like a hobby that we can share together. That's what I realize is that we don't have that thing that we do together, you know, Like I never took her to F one, right, So I was like, I'm, you know, hang out with my boys. Yeah, it's gonna be like a guy's trip. And like now I listened to you, and I'm like, you know, what what have I been doing? Like she would love to go to Vegas, she would love to go to F one because that's really posh, like really dope stuff, right, you know, you don't have to be out in the track and with all the noise, you can hang out and eat nice food and stuff. Yeah, it occurred to me when I meet people that have like really healthy relationships that are also into cars, they keep their like spouses included, And that's something that I have to be better at doing, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Well, it's never too late.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, true, Like I'm like very proactive and you know about it now, Like it's in my head that I won't do another car project or do like car stuff without her being involved. That even go teach her how to drive manual because all my cars are like manual cars.
Speaker 1: Right And then maybe, but they also say, never have your loved one teacher how to drive stick because because it can turn into a big argument that memory. Yeah right, I mean, I mean just a lot of CONSIV patients as just an educator period because it's it's a very common thing when you drive stick that it's the person learning. It's it's overwhelming because it's a lot to intake at once.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, but it's one of those things I think, like, you know, we'll never forget that, right then, yeah, teaching her in that car right for sure? Yeah, And as of late, maybe because I'm getting older too, and like what was I thinking? Like why was I so selfish about that?
Speaker 1: I think you guys also just grew up in a different time in the world where it was all about the guys and that was kind of just the norm in a way, and I feel like in today's society it's very much of like, well, it doesn't always have to be all about the boys. It's like it kind of doesn't matter as long as you all share the same passion and and hobby. Like it's it's not so like gender separated like that anymore. But I think back then maybe that's more of what it was.
Speaker 3: Well, the problem is, like she, like I always assumed that she wouldn't enjoy it anyways. That's why I don't ask her. And that's the problem, right, you know, like you should at least tell me, like, hey, you want to come along with this experiences together. If she doesn't want to or she's not into it, she'll tell me, but at least I asked first, Right, So yeah, I think that was that was a big thing recently that it really helped our relationship.
Speaker 2: Okay, so there is there's similarities there, Yes, I mean this, Yeah, I mean that that's that's a great, great, great suggestion to ask her first. And then you also have to want that, you know what I mean. I think there was a time where I was like, nah, I gotta like I spend enough time with you. I gotta go hang out with my guy friends, right, And then I think, as I get older, I'm going, well, why can't she be a part of that? Right? How many more summers do I have with her?
Speaker 1: Well, it's also the person you chose to grow old with and spend your life with. You know, you'd think you'd want them to come around and you'd want to enjoy every moment together life short, that's your person.
Speaker 2: I think I needed it to get out of it to my system too. Yeah, I mean there's like this idea I had in my head. It's like I might hang out with my friends. We're gonna like make cool ship and be cool. And then after you're like, we're not that cool. It's okay, it's not that cool shit either, nobody gives a ship at and then your wife is pissed off.
Speaker 3: Right yeah right, ultimately that's what really matters.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, I'm glad we talked about that. That's and and thanks for your insight. Yeah, maybe we do come from a different generation where it was like very singular in terms of the car stuff is for dudes. Yeah, not so much anymore, I don't think so.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. Another thing is like my wife recently got into a hobby of her own, which is mushing, Like she MUSHes.
Speaker 1: What's mushing?
Speaker 3: Like mushing? The dogs pull a sled? Really, we have husky?
Speaker 1: Where does she do this?
Speaker 3: So they do mushing on land with like a scooter and the dogs pull you. But we also go to mammoth and she doesn't, you know, like the sled dog. Right. So she picked up that hobby maybe a couple of years ago after we got our first husky, and I was like, oh, this is like cars for you, this is your hobby, right, Yeah, So we found something in common where she is really into it, and then I put myself to participate with her, and that really helped out as far as like connecting with her. You know, like it's probably the greatest thing ever.
Speaker 1: I see you getting all like aerodynamic with the sleds now and the diets of the dog. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like a whole science to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So it's it's literally like what I do, but for like a type of sport, you.
Speaker 2: Make it hype bar version. That's cool. I don't know you could do that here, you could? Yeah, yeah, you run a great hobby she found. Yeah, and it keeps her active too.
Speaker 3: Right for a while, she's like, you know, obviously she's busy with kids and stuff. But like now she gets out of the house, she's like walking, running the dogs and doing all this stuff. I like, you keep doing that. That's awesome. You found something you love, you know. And then I was like, how can I be part of that? So like I start joining her with her things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my wife, like she likes golf and she's been trying to get me to go play golf. I hate golf. Golf with her, I hate it with a passion. So I gotta figure out a way to like enjoy it.
Speaker 1: Think of it more as like a meditation than anything open fresh air.
Speaker 2: The problem is that I've yet to get over the because I'm hyper competitive it comes to sports. Golf is the sporting I've been kicked off golf course for like throwing white clubs, right like, because you can't do that. I'm mad at myself, Like, you know, golf is like a solo sports, not like I'm pissed off at the person playing with me, your whole Yeah, But like I get so I get so angry at myself, and I'm like, can I just enjoy the sports. Maybe it's like changing the perspective enjoying the time with her, right, Because I get obsessive over things. That's why I don't have hobbies. If I do something, I go down this rabbit hole and I just stick with it, right, And I do need to like change that about myself.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: And but the golf.
Speaker 1: Thing, Man, I'm not great at golf. If it goes off, I might kick at her. Three. I like it. I like it. I like driving the golf cart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I could do that. But she wants she wants to walk it.
Speaker 3: She wants to walk.
Speaker 2: She wants to exercise too, right, and she actually loves the even like dressing up. She likes the funality of it, which I I'm like, I just want to wear like sweats and you know, But but I do need to make an effort. I got to figure that out. How can I calm myself down and just enjoy golf without throwing the clubs into the water. But anyway, that was awesome. Thanks for having me, thank you, thank you so much
Speaker 1: For coming on.