Speaker 1: Couest Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio. This classic episode was produced by the team at Pandora.
Speaker 2: What Up This is on pay Bill.
Speaker 3: This classic QLs episode takes us back to December twenty first, twenty sixteen. We'll share some holiday memories. We'll get the twelve Days of Fontigelo. We'll do the damn thing.
Speaker 2: Check it out.
Speaker 4: Supremo, sun So, Supremo, Roll Call, Suprema s s Supremo roll Call, Suprema Suck Suck Supremo.
Speaker 2: Roll Call Suprema. My name is Questlove. Yeah, and I own this to my entire crew. Yeah, I'm giving Christmas bonuses.
Speaker 4: Supremo sun Supremo. Roll call, Supremo sun.
Speaker 2: So, Suprema roll Call. My name is Fante. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I'm here. Yeah, quest Love Supreme. Yeah, breading Christmas Chill.
Speaker 4: Roll call, Suprema son Son, Suprema roll Call, Suprema Suprema roll Call.
Speaker 2: I'm on pe Bill.
Speaker 3: Put on my Yama CA Damn Chris Love Supreme, Yeah, fucking Honker.
Speaker 4: Suprema Supremo, roll call, breama something, Supremo roll Call.
Speaker 2: My name is Sugar. Yeah, it's Christmas time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's also honkah, Yeah, no hamn.
Speaker 4: Some Suprema roll card Supreama Supremo roll call.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and I really wanna Yeah, what's your merry Christmas?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 7: And a happy quanza.
Speaker 4: About your time roll call Suprema Son Sun Supremo roll.
Speaker 1: Call, Happy Holiday. Yeah, come boss bill to you. Yeah there twenty sixteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, screw you.
Speaker 4: O Supremo Son Sun Supremo roll call Suprema Son Sun Supremo roll call Suprema Son Supremo roll call Suprema Son Son Supremo.
Speaker 1: Roll Ladies and gentlemen, Welcome to the special Christmas Edition Holiday we PC. Yoh wait, before we start this off, I think we should play the official theme song of this episode.
Speaker 2: I'm going right off the top. This is my man, Jimmy Liggins and.
Speaker 9: Drunk, drunk, drunk, drunk.
Speaker 10: Insa meine old bottle day calm moonshine, red red wine, so mellow and fine, all mad night with a woman in the head, reached for the pillow, missed the whole durn bed.
Speaker 1: Drunk.
Speaker 2: That's why we all do show up on Christmas Day weekend drunk. Yeah yeah, wait it's a fourth verse. No wonder this ship wasn't it.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, the only reason.
Speaker 2: Yep, that was Jimmy Liggings and drunk. Ah.
Speaker 1: Yes, ladies and gentlemen, there's no pressure, there's no research to do on an artist.
Speaker 2: There's no guests. We're just wrong.
Speaker 1: We're sitting with each other and in electric ladies studios, in the holiday spirit, drinking smalliday spirits. Yeah, living living. Are you living in the new era of our president elect?
Speaker 2: About to get.
Speaker 7: Trump?
Speaker 2: Oh my god? That's the walk on music.
Speaker 7: Ye do not do that when he show.
Speaker 11: That's easy because I know you when he finally makes it as the president, I know what you're gonna do.
Speaker 7: What you're gonna do.
Speaker 2: I don't you gonna call what song you're gonna play. I'm gonna play sick that day.
Speaker 5: That's not so yeah, played in PiZZ for president. That would be pretty I would love to do that, And then what what?
Speaker 2: Or play something that just samples a break so you don't have to like Actually.
Speaker 1: I tried that once and it really didn't come off. When when uh, when Kate Katie Holmes came on the show. Uh, we did cruise, we did time, we did a dropping sign. Oh yeah yeah, by uh all right, so we're sitting here swimming, swimming in our happiness, in our misery.
Speaker 2: I'm not I'm not for this. Does he own yeah?
Speaker 7: I do say so, don't he?
Speaker 2: If I so much?
Speaker 1: I mean, we'll owntive And he has to simply because why would he go so hard with endorsing it.
Speaker 7: Does Did he own the rock?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: But he did the most gangster thing of all time, Like what he did was better than own it. He just went to them and said, like, give me a piece of the company, and they did it and they're better for it.
Speaker 11: So well, do say it's better because they finally made a punch, so because drinking.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I didn't make you thought I made that homemade.
Speaker 1: No one thought that, especially when the when the two women came in and it's at a bottle with a marketing.
Speaker 5: Pitch and everything totally totally shout my man life wonderful for hooking, Thank you, thank you knife, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: And you forgetting drizzy early man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm on about number four. I'm killing them. This is strong. Like I'm only on sip number three.
Speaker 7: I'm so excited right now about you drinking.
Speaker 2: I just you know, I'm like I've been like what I mean, I've drink before. I drunk before. If you don't know the word Jesse Johnson.
Speaker 1: Now this this isn't my first video, but I'll try and continue myself because I still have to go to work after.
Speaker 2: Uh I do this. I have like twelve of these jobs.
Speaker 7: Do you drink do on the holidays?
Speaker 2: I drink period? I mean on man?
Speaker 7: Friend? What's it called friend? Why does not mean like seriously like drink like no SNL.
Speaker 1: I did a shot. I did a celebration shot because it was like vodka or whatever Brooklyn Bowl or whatever I've done I've done. I mean, it's not my preference. Like I'm still a timekeeper, and that's you know, I just.
Speaker 2: Prefer to He prefers his drunken meter to be sober, to be calculated. Even my drunken meters calculated.
Speaker 11: That's why I if quest Love did not have a driver, everybody out there, he would be your designated driver because you are very dependent.
Speaker 2: That's what I because I don't drink regularly.
Speaker 1: Were you here with that for the for the wild story for the Yeah, yeah I got high.
Speaker 5: I ain't doing that ship no more. But yeah, no, I have a limit with my uh inebriation. I'll get to the line, and once I get my line, I'm good. You know what I'm saying. It's just certain highs I don't need to achieve, like the new weed they got the K two that ain't like well yeah K two, Yeah, it's that past G thirteen.
Speaker 2: Bruh.
Speaker 7: It's some money sell two thousand and one right now.
Speaker 5: I should have people like eating motherfucker's faces and ship. It's like some walking dead ship.
Speaker 2: It was really bad.
Speaker 1: It's synthetic. Yeah, it's really bad around where I live out in Brooklyn.
Speaker 2: Really, and it's weed. It's not weed.
Speaker 1: It's like, I don't know what it is, but it's I guess it's some plan or whatever, and they just pray all these chemicals on it and people smoking and just fun.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Drugs. Yeah, that's real drugs. That's real drug that's drugs. So now I'm not into real drugs. Drugs.
Speaker 5: I don't want to do no ship that I gotta go to meetings for and show up for me and say affirmations and ship. I don't want to do that. I just like nobody a little buzz every now. Ye ain't nobody got time for that, but love, I can't wait.
Speaker 7: For her holidays song.
Speaker 11: Oh, Jennifer Lewis, ain't nobody got time for that? You know she's been doing so depending on the things.
Speaker 1: Don't get Jennifer Lewis on the show, please anybody got I like her?
Speaker 2: Get your ass out in boat song?
Speaker 7: That was the get your hout and vote in the Joy how vote, get your ass and vote streets ain't even listen. I'm sorry, So.
Speaker 2: All right, So here it is. It's the holidays.
Speaker 1: Is everyone celebrating or like, do we have any atheists in the house or.
Speaker 2: Just poor people? Poor people, poor people? Yeah, I mean atheists still celebrate the holidays. They don't you. No, I'm Jewish, but I mean I'm not, Like, have you not been here for the past? No, No, I know you're Jewish. What I'm saying, I know, you know if.
Speaker 6: He was practicing, Yeah, nobody practices anymore, you know. Okay, but we still celebrate the holidays.
Speaker 2: Pork to right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't call them sugar, Steve for nothing.
Speaker 11: That is your Jewish breathren judging you, Steve, He is judging you.
Speaker 2: Do you pork joke? I'm the least jewy Jude and Juve.
Speaker 3: My family are what I like to call sudden Jews, which is like they're going along in their normal life and then there's some holidays or some ship and they're suddenly Jewish.
Speaker 6: Like my mom is like, this is what that's why, that's what's my intention. The first thing I was saying, Jesus, I can't.
Speaker 1: Talk always.
Speaker 5: Question, Yes, what is the difference between you and like the Hasidic like the brothers with the hats and the black like they like the hardcore juice.
Speaker 2: Those are those are the real Jews, the very orthodox practicing types. Uh yeah, I'm not.
Speaker 6: Many religious people are are there in this room right now, but I'm sure we're all celebrating the holidays Jesus besides being bathed in the blood.
Speaker 7: So it's kind of like, no, I celebrate.
Speaker 2: I celebrate.
Speaker 5: I mean it's really for my kids, you know what I'm saying, Because for me, like Christmas ended around like they're like twelve thirteen.
Speaker 2: Because at that point it was just I was totally cool.
Speaker 5: I was totally cool because I had younger brothers, so I mean we didn't we were poor, so I was like, listen, take care of my brothers.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: And I still my mom still was able to do little stuff for me. I still got stuff, but my whole things are like make sure my brothers are good.
Speaker 2: I ain't. Yeah, all right, tell us a poor Christmas? What is a poor Christmas? Yes? With the music? Okay, just poor Christmas. Picture it. Small town, North Carolina, nineteen eighty four. I'm sleeping in my bed and I hear some rustling, and I'm thinking it's that raindeer on my roof. No it's not. It was my father, who I hadn't seen in several years.
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh God, So.
Speaker 5: Now a poor Christmas is like, listen mane eighty four hours five.
Speaker 2: You haven't seen your father in seven years? Yeah? I had seen my father sits inception, but but noah man, a poor, a poor Christmas or a late Christmas. Listen. Let me be clear about something.
Speaker 5: My mother and my grandparents, they always worked to make sure that I.
Speaker 2: Had a decent Christmas, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: And so one of my most my most memorable Christmas is was when I got the Nintendo. This is when the Nintendo too Nintendo, and so it was a step up for me because at that point in time, we had been renting the Nintendo.
Speaker 2: Sounds very familiar. Why do I feel like there was a Nintendo rental in my town.
Speaker 5: Too, Dude, there was no bullshit. There was a there was a no because I mean it was all poe. There was a there was a in a small time. I lived in Resturan, North Carolina. Swear to god, there was a video store. It's called Doug's Rented Video. And it was just like you know, like any other video rental store, Doug's Renting Video.
Speaker 2: And they started the very.
Speaker 5: Forward thinking and I'm sure probably illegal practice of renting game systems. And so you could rent a Nintendo. You could rent It was like Renaissance exactly. You could rent a Nintendo.
Speaker 2: And so I.
Speaker 5: Remember, I think my grandmother rented me a Nintendo for like a little bit and I played it and I had Mike Tyson's punch Out, and my whole thing was you would try to beat the game before you had to take.
Speaker 2: The ship back. So I was unsuccessful. But I'm about to say my comminations. Well, I remember, but.
Speaker 5: I learned to Oh man, I think without it. I got up to Tyson. I got up to Tyson and I got beat but then I got the cold, and the cold to get directly to tyson.
Speaker 2: Oh seven three seven three five.
Speaker 7: Nine six mother, fuck smoking mother.
Speaker 5: That was the colde oh seven three seven three five nine sixty three. So uh so, yeah, So I had been renting it. And after just times of just renting the Nintendo, finally I woke up to Christmas morning. I was asleep in my bed and uh this was at the time when my I was living with my wheeling my grandparents, and my grandmother and my grandfather they slept in separate rooms. And being a you know, eight nine ten year old kid, I never yeah, I never saw the dysfunction in that, but I you know, I never thought but I was like many but they never step together.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I never I didn't get it.
Speaker 5: But for whatever reason, they didn't sleep in the same room together. So me and my grandfather slept in the same room in beds. And so my grandfather, you know, he'd be sleeping and.
Speaker 2: He'd have his music on.
Speaker 5: So I get up, and I walked down the hallway and walked through the kitchen and I turned the corner. And to turn the corner like that was the surprise moment, nigga, Like that was when.
Speaker 2: Like, oh shit, what did I get?
Speaker 5: And I came in and I saw the Nintendo and I had a TV and they brought me a little TV. And the fun fact about the TV, it later got pawned because my mom's boyfriend at the time was hooked on crack, so he later pawned in television a couple of times.
Speaker 2: But I got it back, and uh.
Speaker 6: Yo, wait rewind that's the story within the story. I want to hear you got the TV back?
Speaker 5: Okay, how I got the TV back? Well, I don't know the exact particular. Uh this was it was the eighties.
Speaker 11: Man, it was a rough time, remember the Nintendo cold But you don't remember the particulars on getting TV.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I mean I didn't go into the pawn shop and say.
Speaker 1: Hey, okay, when you came home from school and saw there was no TV, what was your response?
Speaker 2: Crap?
Speaker 5: Like I knew that something that I was like, this has to be crap. So yeah, so that was my thing. I knew that was what it was. But you know, we lost the TV a couple of times. We got it back and I hadn't it well or sold it, you know whatever. But yeah, man, but I had a Nintendo in my room. My mother let me have it in my room in fourth grade, and that was the year I got it.
Speaker 2: I got the Nintendo with the power pad.
Speaker 5: Oh you remember the power The power pad was this piece of elect it was this it was this piece of equipment was plastic and it didn't work well for damn no. But it was just loud and like, you know, you could run track and field on the power pad and like jump hurdles and shit. And at the time, we lived in like a two story house. So every time I played the power pad, immediately my mother would tell me, like, cut that shit off, make it too much fucking noise. So so we never I never really played it much. But but yeah, I had the power pad. I had a Nintendo in my room, and as long as I kept my grades up, she would let me keep it.
Speaker 2: But my mother, when my grades.
Speaker 5: Were slipped, she would be extra evil, and so what she would do she wouldn't take the Nintendo.
Speaker 2: She would just take the controllers.
Speaker 5: Just look just look at it, look back at it. So she would just take the controllers. So I would come home and like be in my room looking at this thing that I can't play.
Speaker 1: That is cruel and gus can I say that things like that are one reason why I want.
Speaker 2: To be a parent. So you be cool to your children, just so I can do little things like that.
Speaker 1: I don't want to put com out there like this, but come once told me a story of how he literally just took Christmas away from his kids, like they woke up the next day to no gifts under the Christmas Street Like.
Speaker 2: It was like they were there and it was full on.
Speaker 1: Yes it was long twenty third but then gone on the to the grits Christmas.
Speaker 2: The humbling kid needs it.
Speaker 6: So that reminds me of a couple of Christmases ago where I got Kamala as my secret sat Oh yeah, I was.
Speaker 2: Keyboard. Yeah come on, so this is playing piano right now in the back.
Speaker 6: It's a good So I was his secret Santa, and so I got him.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 6: I just filled up a box, a cardboard box filled with sodas from our refrigerator from inside the lane.
Speaker 2: Wait, tell them how you wrapped it us? What? I just wrapped it up like a real president. I mean, I thought I.
Speaker 1: Told you to get a refrigerator blox and put that in another box, and then another box and then another box.
Speaker 6: Sorry, now I just put a bunch of sodas in a box. Talk about one, but I didn't say who. You know, you're not supposed to reveal yourself as secret Santas, so I didn't. I didn't reveal myself for like a week and a half.
Speaker 2: Was mad.
Speaker 6: He was mad, But it was funny. You know, he's telling everybody on the staff, you know.
Speaker 2: So yo, who got me sodas? Yeah, he is trying to figure it out.
Speaker 6: And so then eventually I told him who it was, and I gave him like a one of those GNC cards for like twenty five bucks.
Speaker 2: That was actually the year, the year you did that, that was the inspiration.
Speaker 1: See, I'm a guy. See people I feel like they have to try hard, like for me. But some of the best gifts I've ever gotten were like the smallest, most minutes your gifts. Like people think like, oh mere love soul Train, let me get him salt, and I'm like, I got every episode of Soultree. You don't have to give me no more soul Train. So when you gave him that gift, do you remember what I asked for my birthday, which is like a month later.
Speaker 2: I mean it was like soda, Yeah, everyone one got me.
Speaker 1: My favorite soda was the Pellegrino Lemon, so it is oh my.
Speaker 7: God, man, that's the best one for you.
Speaker 2: The ones in the cans. Yeah, I like the blood orange blood. Yeah. Yeah. So every I got fifty cases.
Speaker 1: Wow, and surprisingly not diabetes. I got fifty cases of Pelgrena from my birthday.
Speaker 7: Because everybody was just happy to last for a gift under twenty bucks. It's like, yes, but not, but.
Speaker 2: He fifty So it's like, what do you get? You give the man everything?
Speaker 7: You've got me one year?
Speaker 2: Well, who got you? What?
Speaker 7: Quest love got me one years?
Speaker 2: Not my baby? He bought you again, my baby.
Speaker 11: It has been twice gift injected into your wound. Can't you No, you don't.
Speaker 7: You don't remember you gave me a doll.
Speaker 2: I gave you what you gave.
Speaker 7: Me a doll. You gave me a mister nice guy doll.
Speaker 1: You remember this mister nice guy doll. It was that sounds like something to give you in counseling. It was show me on the doll he touched you.
Speaker 7: It was a little white man who when you pulled his hand.
Speaker 11: He would say anything that a woman wanted to hear, and he would say like, no, you're not that, and dude, all the things you know, just like I promise you I still have it. Yes, yes, you do not remember?
Speaker 7: Did I not? Was that not? For mean? Somebody want somebody else?
Speaker 2: If you don't remember, I think I think someone else give you know.
Speaker 7: We were at the bollet. It was before it was before Zeron. Yeah, I don't even remember, you.
Speaker 2: Know, I give my gifts out that I don't know. That was a joke.
Speaker 1: I don't do the Hey, get her, get her what you want? Well, okay, are you complaining?
Speaker 2: It was It's hard to tell something, you know. The doll has been her best friend for the last nine years.
Speaker 7: He definitely tells you what I need to hear. I need to hear it like I got a man.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I ain't like I got that? Was that her? That was sad? Finished the story? Yeah, I mean it.
Speaker 5: Started with a crack. Everything it all comes back the crack with Yeah. In the eighties, it was it was rough.
Speaker 1: And it was a poor Christmas, but it was good.
Speaker 5: I mean, listen, I always appreciate it more than anything else, like we would struggle like during the year, like it would be times I might come home to no lights. I might come home to a big yellow sign on the door that says condemned because our watered and got cut off. But Christmas was always cool, So I would say that above anything else, my family always made sure no matter how poor we were, Christmas was always we always had a decent Christmas.
Speaker 2: We always had you know, we always had it good.
Speaker 5: So shout out big up to my moms and my uncles and my grandparents for always pitching in and uh and making sure that the grandkids had what they did.
Speaker 2: That's dope, man, we survived. Am I gonna take a nap?
Speaker 1: It was like, yeah, no, I was reflective because this dude say got me, thank you. Yeah, it's my life.
Speaker 2: Give us, give us a.
Speaker 1: Broke, broke story, give us a boot Christmas. Like when you're in a relationship during Christmas, like what did What's something sweet that a guy.
Speaker 2: Did for you?
Speaker 7: I'm so sorry. That's like the wrong.
Speaker 2: Question, which means it's the right question.
Speaker 7: I say, that's the wrong way.
Speaker 11: She doesn't answer, because right because my last relationship we were only children and you know, when you're an only child and you have two parents that are still living, you have to like decide so like my parents are real, like overly lovingly real, lovely like So now no, it's hard to leave my house on Christmas.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, so I never. Really it's supposed to get sad.
Speaker 2: I don't think that I've had it's a sad question.
Speaker 7: I don't think I've had.
Speaker 2: A couple of Christis Christmas.
Speaker 11: Once I left my mother, she got real piss and like she cussed me out for a man and then never I never did it again. Really, it's only child ship. Don't nobody know about this life, this only child life.
Speaker 2: So was mad because you went with your boo at the.
Speaker 7: Time because I'm her only child.
Speaker 2: And your mother is single as well. Well, yes that's what it is.
Speaker 11: Do you know somebody because she is a very sexy sixty six and sexy Hello.
Speaker 7: Her name is Kareema Payla. You know she wears push your.
Speaker 2: Bras you have me at sixty six. I like the.
Speaker 7: I mean that, don't mean that, don't mean nothing.
Speaker 11: A lot of people made woo do have done down with the brown, but good to know I we introduced I will.
Speaker 2: Everyone's down, Daddy, Please, Daddy.
Speaker 11: I'm already calling Steve daddy sugar daddy.
Speaker 7: A couple.
Speaker 11: I was gonna say, Fonte, kind of your broke story trump my broke story, because I was gonna say, my dad is an artist. He's like an artist, a drummer, a photographer. And he didn't always have it like that. But he was always a very loving daddy, a very present daddy.
Speaker 7: So he didn't have it like that.
Speaker 11: And one Christmas, while my mother was giving me new stuff, he came in like Santa Claus with a garbage bag full of clothes on my through storm and I was like, oh, thanks, daddy.
Speaker 2: But it was the thought, But it was the thought. He was present.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I've seen girls I ain't got no daddy love. So I'm thankful, you know what I'm saying. Because girls without no daddy love ship.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, girls without fathers they make for interesting relationship.
Speaker 2: Oh love. By interesting, I mean again, never ever again. To woman. The first question he answer is do you know your father? Straight up that it.
Speaker 7: Should be a first question though, because that was I had.
Speaker 2: This old gee wisdom. Listen O G told me He's like, listen, if she don't love her daddy.
Speaker 5: She can't love you. And if she don't love her mama, she ain't gonna love herself.
Speaker 7: That it is real.
Speaker 2: Look bro deep bro man, listen. Yeah, the wisdom you find in barber shops on the Saturday.
Speaker 7: I do say so myself.
Speaker 2: Waiting on your temple table.
Speaker 1: I got okay, I'm trying to think of a poort. I have a really good same year. You have a you have a poor Christmas? Oh yeah, hell yeah, I have a poor Christmas. Uh, eighty four I didn't even have Christmas? Man, you looking at me, mother, I didn't eighty four. So you were how old eighty four? I was fine to you, like thanks, thanks, fronte. No, I mean I'm saying I wasn't born yet you Yeah, I was twenty. I was twenty bro, No, okay, I knew we were going to have a Christmas. And this is back when you only had two pairs of sneakers per year.
Speaker 2: You had your school sneakers, and you had to play place sneak talk about it. And so eighty four was really when sneaker called, why are you laughing? Bill?
Speaker 1: Because makes me laugh man talking about it's been a minute. Yeah, we we we were killing.
Speaker 2: Let's let's culturally you were already talking about it. He's like, talk about it, but that's.
Speaker 1: Like, that's that, that is a that is ahold. Did you have school shoes and in place shoes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll get onto the non poor Christmases later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, more than one pair of sneakers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know how more than one pair of an adult. No, I'm with you, I'm with you. Yeah, I'm making up for it now. You know.
Speaker 5: Well, to be fair, three pairs you had play school and church. You had to pay dress, dress shoes. I had dress shoes to church, always had dress dress.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had church shoes, and I had sneakers.
Speaker 1: I didn't have like plate place sneakers, and yeah, in school sneakers.
Speaker 2: And your dress sneakers.
Speaker 5: That was also they also alternated your church sneakers also alternated as your picture.
Speaker 2: They sneakers the picture.
Speaker 1: They uhur, I mean I mean not speaking picture.
Speaker 5: They classes picture. They you had to take the picture, you know, when you sat.
Speaker 2: On the Yeah, but they don't show your feet in this.
Speaker 1: He's right, but it doesn't want to look we dressed. It does not when you dressed clean in school.
Speaker 6: That's like, you know, so anyway, you were thirteen, you were just part misspap What happened?
Speaker 2: Yeah, sneakers. We knew you had the sneakers. What then?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: We we knew it was going to be a bad Uh. I knew it was going to be a bad Christmas. And so I decided to take matage of my own hands because the thing was like sneaker culture was really really I mean, we didn't call it sneaker culture back then, but I didn't have that name, you know, I mean, but Jordan's was just like you know, this was the year that was.
Speaker 2: The Ones, right with that yeah? Ones?
Speaker 1: Yeah, But in nineteen eighty four, like this is when the fuckery of paying more than forty five dollars.
Speaker 2: For a pair of sneakers was starting to creep in.
Speaker 5: So it was all about the patent leather top ten Adidas. The that wasn't thews was it wasn't nah, but like you know what top ten the pat leather like this shoe was like one hundred and five dollars, which.
Speaker 2: Back then was light. Yeah. Nah, that's crazy.
Speaker 1: So I decided what I was going to do was every day after school, I was going to go to Pathmark and for three hours help women carry their bags to the car for tips.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for tips, Okay.
Speaker 1: So then went to my grandmam's house took the Helman's supersized manna's jar that she normally he keeps for the bacon grease, because that.
Speaker 2: Is what we do. We reuse grease. Yeah, hell yeah, and so don't rate no grease. Right. So I took uh that and basically saved up one hundred and.
Speaker 1: Fifteen dollars worth of change and took that entire thing to Samson Sneakers on fifty second Street, Wow, two days before Christmas. And I just gave him. I was like, this is one hundred and you just looked at me.
Speaker 2: It's like, boy, if you don't But he.
Speaker 1: Dude gave me that looked like you don't get out here and go to that bank across the street and come back with some real money. So I literally, yeah, I had to take all my pennies and all my nickels and all my dimes and all my quarters.
Speaker 5: But the crazy thing about that man I did that is recently as two thousand and one.
Speaker 1: Let's listen, dude, I paid that you did coinstar a.
Speaker 7: Bridge people question, do you know what Coinstar is a marriage.
Speaker 2: No, I don't. Okay, Coinstar college. This is how you fucking get through college. Go through the Seaton, put a Cornstart.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, now there's Coinstar depositive. They're still there, I think, was he like in Kroger here, see whatever?
Speaker 11: Or if you have a TD bank account, you can make your whole change and yeah, or you.
Speaker 2: Can give them a percentage. If you don't have an account.
Speaker 7: Oh no, I don't. I have an account that I don't play that game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I did that. I paid my cardinal with Cornstar one time. I used to have a jug in my room and like every time, like I broke a dollar or whatever, just had change a little water jup and I'll just throw it in there and I put that ship. I just saved it over time and took it to Coinstar and the Kroger up the street from when I lived that that she was like one hundred and seventy dollars.
Speaker 2: I paid my food Carver, you was killing.
Speaker 7: The game one hundred and seventy dollars.
Speaker 2: One hundred and seventy dollars in old I was living.
Speaker 11: I felt good, Like if you would get forty dollars out of your change.
Speaker 2: You was yeah, no, you was good. You was good.
Speaker 5: That was around the time, like for that was the time I was given like I used to give and men nine, if he comes back, we'll talk about I used to give plasma for breatain no way.
Speaker 2: God sweat to God.
Speaker 1: What no, dude, I bullshit you not bro.
Speaker 5: I used to give plasma. So this was the thing, right, So around the around the time when this is like, oh god, man, this is like oh one two thousand, two thousand and one oh two maybe so yeah, so do plasma. Okay, so you learn a lot of things about the human body when you're desolate. So what so listen, So there was a place up the street from where from my school, North Carolina is like most black colleges, the shit is in the fucking hood. So right up the street, like round the way, there was a plasma donation center. And so essentially what it was is if you gave plasma, they would give you money for it. And so, but they had limits. You could only donate within a certain amount of time. So say if you came in like on a Monday, and you give your first donation and they give you like twenty bucks and then you came back like a couple of days later and you gave a second donation, they would give you like forty bucks.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 5: So then if you came back a third time a couple days later, I think it dropped to maybe like thirty. And then after three times you couldn't give no more.
Speaker 2: But like a way, were you dead by yo? Dude? The thing was, it was a time thing. So what it was, they will hook you up to these machines.
Speaker 5: And this is at a point in my life where I really realized, like I gotta do something else. I gotta make a change, you know what I mean, because I'm in there literally with dope fiends. I mean like seriously, it's like, here's the thing they screened you for, all kinds of they screen you for whatever. So it also worked if you didn't have health insurance and everything all that. So if you could give plasma, you knew you were cool. And one time, no it's plasma. Okay, here's the thing. Okay, there's blood and then there's the plasma that's inside the blood. So like what it is they give you the you give the blood.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, no no no no. I want to know too. Google the look on Bill's face right now.
Speaker 1: I wish, I wish our listeners if we still have the three of your all, five of y'all, my mom.
Speaker 2: But you feel like the fact that this was.
Speaker 3: The thing that made you want to make a change, the giving plasma with a crackhead thing.
Speaker 2: But that's what that's like.
Speaker 1: Oh ship, Now, yeah, and what I said changed, I mean clearly like I was like I was just like man I got I mean because I wasn't like fucking up.
Speaker 2: I graduated college and I was working.
Speaker 5: I had a job, but it still just wasn't working.
Speaker 2: I was a college graduate. What was your job to My job at the time was working calling. It was blue Cross.
Speaker 5: I was working in the call blue Cross, blue Shield, working at the call center. And so at the time, so you would go in and you they would give you they wook up to the machine and it would take your blood and then it off the medical industry, yo, listen, I lived off the medical industry. I lived off of because where I lived at Research Triangle Park, they would have studies so like you could like for like experimental drugs and shit.
Speaker 2: This explains a fun I was.
Speaker 5: They had like smoking studies, so like I lied and told them I smoked cigarettes and like made like seventy five bucks.
Speaker 7: Oh they still do those things.
Speaker 11: You know. I have a girlfriend. She always does those. Yeah, yeah, you get a hundred.
Speaker 2: Due hustle. I don't know your question. I think people I think you'll.
Speaker 6: Covered with you should pay you more about sperm banks, do the spank.
Speaker 1: I didn't know the sperm banks. I ain't want to pay child support. I want to with that, but I wouldn't do the spur bank.
Speaker 5: But yeah, man, I would get plasma and the and the sad thing about it, like it was crazy. A guy I worked with it, I knew. Did you get caught? Well, yeah, I mean not caught, but yeah. It was a guy I worked with at Blue Cross, and I think by this time he had kind of I didn't seen in a minute, but anyway, I saw him in.
Speaker 2: There and I was like, what's up? What you doing? He was like, man, you get this bread. The guy ended up dying.
Speaker 5: He ended up getting killed, I want to say a year later, because he tried to rob a store.
Speaker 1: And got killed. He was a buddy of mine. And so basically what you're saying is don't work for Blue Cross. Blue shoe because they don't pay ship man, listen, don't yeah, Blue.
Speaker 11: Stay away from Radio one two.
Speaker 2: Pandora, Yo, talk your ship son.
Speaker 1: Today's episode of course those supremes brought you by the Blue Cross.
Speaker 7: And Pandora.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but no, man, I just look at all the times of my life and I'm glad I come tom it ang way from giving plasma and watching movies with crackheads, and like.
Speaker 2: They would give you, you would take it.
Speaker 5: They take your blood and it's a long process because they have to put it through the machine to separate the plasma from your blood. So they so then so like they take it out and then they put your blood back in you and it is a lot.
Speaker 7: They give it back to you. How you know it's yours?
Speaker 5: It's sure it was you're at the machine. And one time they called me back and was like, we can't use your blood. Was like, oh, Ship, I'm about to die. I was like, what the fuck? We can't use your plasta. I was like, oh, Ship. But I went in and she was like, did you do something before you got here?
Speaker 2: Did you eat something? And I was thinking, I was like you know what?
Speaker 5: And it was the day I had a quarter pounder before I went in and that.
Speaker 2: Went to House something.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, I didn't know House. Then white House was fine down and that was like if you take a bit plasma, so you get something. Yeah, that was it, you get the quarter pound.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 2: White House was the fucking side of the men.
Speaker 7: At least she wasn't resorting to crystals.
Speaker 2: So you are crystals. What was that? Crystals?
Speaker 7: White Castle. It's like crystal.
Speaker 2: White sometime. Man, it was it, it was. It was a crazy time my life.
Speaker 5: But that's why I'm thankful for what I have now, because I remember I used to have to give my blood to make gas money.
Speaker 2: There you own this show, bro, This officially.
Speaker 1: All right, So let's go on to the happy side of town.
Speaker 2: Rich. Here's the thing. Here's the thing.
Speaker 6: Why so as Jewish guys, as kids were, Christmas was you know, the very most people celebrate Christmas, but the Jewish kids, we had the seven nights, so we get the one present each night for seven nights. Plus we have the big weekend bonanza Christmas Christmas Morning type joint.
Speaker 2: Damn, don't say we was that because I didn't have that ship. Don't sell them out.
Speaker 6: I mean, that's that's that's what we I mean, you get one present each night and that's like, you know, socks.
Speaker 2: I'll be honest with you, it's not.
Speaker 6: But like then you get like the Christmas morning type honka thing where you know this shit ten doesn't and that's when you get all the video games and all that what you.
Speaker 3: Were But no, I was poor, no, no, but it was it was like seven.
Speaker 2: It was like you could pick in my house.
Speaker 3: You could pick the day when you got the cool thing, when it was the first day or last day, and then the rest of it was shit. So like it sucked. I thought it sucked in comparison to now having celebrated Christmas. It just felt like there's no like pomp and circumstances of Christmas and Santa and Fonte's dad on the roof. There's none of that ship. There's just fucking candles and bullshit. So it did like by day seven, you're like, I need another pair of socks.
Speaker 5: As so as Bill Sherman as a Jew, do you feel like you got short change?
Speaker 3: Yes, only because when I got married, I got to celebrate Christmas and I was like, this shit's way better than hon kah. Really, Yeah, So you're saying that you didn't have the same experience that Steve had.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had the best of both worlds. I think, yeah, you're just winning. Everybody was Jewish, but we treated it like Christmas. Okay, do you look forward to coming home for Christmas?
Speaker 1: Me? All right, I'm sorry, Honakah coming home the holidays?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yes, because nobody.
Speaker 6: Yes, that's what alcohol it, Shaka Khan technically, yeah, well you know what happens.
Speaker 2: You know what happens to my Honkah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, I'd be praying for you every what happened. That's that's where they cut the come up. That's what come up every year. I've been knowing Steve for twenty years, and it's always say it's the come up.
Speaker 6: Like last two people on this planet pay me. One of them is in this room, and the other guy visited honakahe.
Speaker 2: No, but it should be real.
Speaker 1: Has celebrated Kwanza is the Joe and the scammer of holidays.
Speaker 2: That ship.
Speaker 7: I cannot. I cannot.
Speaker 2: I've never celebrated in my life. I love everything.
Speaker 11: About just like you respect Chris miss respected.
Speaker 2: Because in the sense that I celebrate. Wait, wait, I'm impressed.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna pressed frustrated. I was so you want to go back to the replay. Can you be that quote one more time?
Speaker 2: Please? Kanza is the Joe and the scammer of holidays?
Speaker 11: How is it a scam when you ain't even got a by ship?
Speaker 2: No, it's a scam.
Speaker 7: You ain't got a buy yo.
Speaker 1: It's like listen, man, it's okay, properly explained to me, Like what is what is uh? The the the process, the founder of Kwansa everything.
Speaker 7: Give us to get into the history of that name.
Speaker 1: Is it like doctor you know I'm allowed to say that you're you're on the right.
Speaker 2: He was.
Speaker 5: He's not quite Doctor York, but he was a guy that was. And can we talk about doctor York for those that don't know, that's just.
Speaker 7: Such a holidays and doctor.
Speaker 1: I've seen doctor York beat downs. Well he beat down people or he got me people?
Speaker 2: Like, what is it over now?
Speaker 11: Like is he he's yes, because you know who.
Speaker 2: We're talking about.
Speaker 5: Okay, Okay, let's break this down. Dr York. Okay, let's be okay, let's let's let's back up.
Speaker 2: Christmas.
Speaker 5: Dr York, Dr York, Okay, Dodor York, the first to doctor Malachi York and.
Speaker 2: He was the leader Halloween effect this.
Speaker 1: So he was the leader of what was known as the New Wabbian was that it was, and they were like a group of black They were like a super kind of smart, dumb niggas.
Speaker 2: Man. Listen, they were like.
Speaker 5: A super like a sect of like super black nationalists, kind of offense radical group of people. But also they had a lot of ties to hip hop because they had a lot of so many a lot of great rappers. Five per centers. They were all into it.
Speaker 7: So I mean, we're into it. But I'm just saying them too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they were. It was kind of sort of the same thing. Were talking about Doctor York's music career. Yes, I'm not that well versed in that's how I knew about it. Wait, that's where Isaac Hayes produced his record. And he's just scientologists.
Speaker 2: Damn what was searching for?
Speaker 5: Isaac Hayes became a scientologist later in life, he really got his bread. But it was just out of the fryme pin into the fight, I mean, into the damn gas pit. So anyway, that was so listen, bro okay. So Matt York, so he was a guy, he had a lot of ties to a lot of people follow him. M yeah, doom yeah, doom was one doom I want jay Z was loose, I mean a couple's degrees separated.
Speaker 1: Of course, I was deep into it back in ninety six because he tried to pull new Rod into it.
Speaker 5: Ah yeah yeah, yeah, okay, so anyway, but anyway, so he was like a guy that was more or less like a cult leader.
Speaker 2: He ended up going to jail for like was it some child or something like that? But wasn't space on this shit too?
Speaker 5: Absolutely absolutely, That's why I had nigga thought he ain't have penal taxes. They showed it that like, all right, blade, we about to kill your ass to jail.
Speaker 11: I don't like that we are talking to about this in parallel to Kwansa.
Speaker 7: But continue, but no.
Speaker 5: But we're we're we're getting We're we're we're getting there. We're discussing black cult leaders.
Speaker 2: Listen, we gotta get We got to bring this ship on home.
Speaker 5: The guy who saw that Kwansa was Ron Karinga, and he was like pro black, like super black militant nationalist guy.
Speaker 2: He was also a government informant stool pigeon. How the fuck do you know this everyday survival.
Speaker 11: You don'body kind of knows, but some people like choose to ignore or we don't.
Speaker 1: Have the comfort of putting, you know, our husband to the turtle shells, like you gotta.
Speaker 2: You're out here and you know you can easily get got.
Speaker 5: And I will say this about you, A mirror, I would say, doing this pock, doing this radio show with you?
Speaker 2: You know that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, dude, Okay, I will say, Man, when you said that a couple of shows ago, when you were like yo, where you were like, listen, you know all the music. I know, people think it's because I love music, and it's like, yeah, I love music, but it's for my survival, you know what I mean? That ship is real. And when you did the first quest Love Supreme mix and I listened to the songs you picked, I was like, Yo, a mirror is black as fuck, you know what I'm saying. Not that I ever question your blackness before, like because I'm not that guy, but I was like, Yo, he's like like like one of my cousins black, Like he black.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: But it's like I understand you know the song well he was, dude, I was like, Yo, you know about so yeah, so with him so yeah, so we have to know these things like for survival. So Ronka Ringa he was black nationalist, super pro black pro black guy, but he was apparently also a government and formant, and so he created this thing called Kwansa, and Kwansa was supposed to be.
Speaker 2: I guess the Black answer to Christmas.
Speaker 11: I guess not really, not really no neither, not really an answer, but to give African Americans some sense of cultural tradition that has a link.
Speaker 7: To like West Africa or Africa. So and yes, to.
Speaker 1: Give blacks and alternative to the existing holiday an opportunity to celebrate themselves in their history rather than simply imitate the practice of the dominant society.
Speaker 2: On the top of the dome bill technical, I couldn't see it. I thought he was on the top of.
Speaker 11: Sesthetically, people forget that Christianity was forced on black people as slaves and it became a way to keep them subdued to whatever we went to change that in a whole situation or whatever. But it was not our original religion. Okay, but this is not a religion either. This is just a cultural tradition.
Speaker 2: But it's it's it's just some shit.
Speaker 11: No, he may be phony, but the actual tradition of Kwanza and what has become, much like your use of nigga is not phony the way that people choose to practice it, meaning that the word nigga has changed to you you know what I'm saying, but the one hundred years ago with something different. So Mile Karinga is a person who has certain you know, falsities and ship with him and got nothing to do with what he has created.
Speaker 7: And I've been to so.
Speaker 11: Many amazing, amazing Kwanza celebrations where we talk about the principles that have nothing to do with anything monetary or Okay, so let's.
Speaker 2: Break down the court Kwansa.
Speaker 5: There's Ugima, you, Jama ship and you. Okay, that's another one.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 11: In an attempt not to really sound like an East Coast liberal black motherfuckers are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sage is one.
Speaker 7: Whatever, the one.
Speaker 2: I gotta bring it back, got bring it back. I'm sorry, here we go drunk.
Speaker 7: It's not right.
Speaker 1: Drunk bring it back drunk too, because that's very appropriate, not right, man.
Speaker 7: Everybody to celebrates.
Speaker 2: Break down the principal the seven days of quantsa and wait.
Speaker 1: Moja is means unity, which is just to strive for and maintain unity in this family community. Let our boss, okay, run it back from the top. Readough Wikipedia so we know we're getting fact.
Speaker 2: Just say.
Speaker 5: Saying like you actually the seven seven prisionals, run it down, Boss Bill Moja, I'm gonna do the English.
Speaker 7: Motherfucker it is y'all got to really piss me off. It's moja. Let me do it. Moja. It means unity.
Speaker 2: Koji chung of Lee is not English.
Speaker 7: Motherfucker is right, it's not.
Speaker 2: Mister.
Speaker 11: All of the woke and conscious black people out there, I want you to know that you're here for you. If nobody is here for you, I am here nobody else. Motherfucker write piece to you.
Speaker 1: Okay Moja, Unity, self determination, collective work and responsibility, Jama cooperative economics.
Speaker 7: NIA purpose, Kumba, creativity, and the Moni faith. Now you know what that name means because a lot of people naming Mini.
Speaker 2: Beautiful, Bob doubling beautiful.
Speaker 11: You have to know each night something, so each night you celebrate that. So like you know, if you happen to be in a quanta celebration and it's the day I've been on to an emosia day? Where's the day of unity? And you just sit and discuss with the room of people. You talk about how you are celebrating unity today. What did you do and how can you continue to do that?
Speaker 7: You know what I mean? Same thing with all of those there are all principles that we can continue to follow. It's for all cultures.
Speaker 2: What was the second or third? One? Kind of lingers? I want to go on that night?
Speaker 1: Each each of those words represent a new night. Yes, that's a lot of Remember you could just google it because I know those words.
Speaker 5: Because what if it's GMA night and you show up and want to be U jama Like what happens?
Speaker 11: You went from work together to jama which means supporting each other?
Speaker 1: Come on, man, okay, well, like you know you already know, I love you like a play clubin I love you too, so you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: But I don't supports. I've always thought this was a quack holiday.
Speaker 5: But listen, whatever you if it brings you together, if it's quons or whatever.
Speaker 7: American holidays, it's just this in Juneteenth.
Speaker 5: Just you know June and Juneteenth is like I don't celebarate that because that ship is like June teenth is like basically found.
Speaker 7: Juneteenth is the last day that there was slavery.
Speaker 11: Okay, official last day, but even though it ended two years before that and Texas it only ended.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but it was decisially for the niggas that found out late. So it's just this not I don't feel like we should celebrate the slowest of our culture, you know what I mean. I don't feel like we should celebrate the niggas that found out.
Speaker 2: You know, you know why.
Speaker 11: That's funny, that's not true, but you know that's it's funny, but it's not true. But it's not that they found out too late that the white people was like, fuck you, I'm gonna do it when I feel like But that was cute the way you remixed it, and everybody should watch Donald Glover's episode of June and then you understand a little bit.
Speaker 2: But I've never I've never separated Juneteenth.
Speaker 1: So now I think the closest we have to a Black holiday would be God, what is the black holiday we have?
Speaker 2: No? Is it King Day?
Speaker 10: Is?
Speaker 7: No, that's an American holiday.
Speaker 11: We fought for that to be an American holiday, So we don't call that a black holiday?
Speaker 2: Okay, So what's like a black holiday?
Speaker 7: Is it? Like I told you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, But I'm saying you've got to have something else, Like is it like I celebrate twenty fifth Michael Jackson Day?
Speaker 2: But right right, something like? I mean something like that.
Speaker 5: All let's talk about let's talk about the elephant room James Brown dying on Christmas? Okay, dude, I mean we have to do something that has to be I mean, not.
Speaker 2: Dying on Christmas? Is the elephant in the room. Are you discussed that we have because.
Speaker 5: We're talking about bad Christmas is? Like, dude, I remember being sad on that Christmas like Jane.
Speaker 7: For like a good five minutes.
Speaker 3: But I'm back with you your work wife, and you were not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me and my work wife, we're back. We're back together again.
Speaker 7: Make up the breakups. That's all we do.
Speaker 2: But your hold up spots for the cause real quick.
Speaker 1: And when we come back, we'll move into hour two of the show and continue our discussion about our Christmas memories, our favorite holiday songs, and James Brown's untimely Christmas demise. Uh, you're listening to a special Christmas two thousand and six edition of Quest Love Supreme.
Speaker 6: All Right, I have a question for the for the group, Oh here we go, what's your favorite fucking Christmas song?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 1: I literally was trying to look up my notes on how to turn this conversation around, and you beat me to it.
Speaker 11: I have one that I think you might not have a fe Okay, well.
Speaker 2: I like, hey, you're gonna last, god.
Speaker 7: Dog, and I raised my hand first, but it doesn't work.
Speaker 11: I'm just kidding ahead, Okay, So I have a list, but one of my favorites for for the region would be Chuck Brown Merry Christmas Baby. Really, I don't know if any I know that everybody's not familiar with the Go Go.
Speaker 7: I know Chuck had a Christmas song, get Mad Christmas Baby? Who did treat?
Speaker 2: You're right?
Speaker 7: Hey? Rest in peace to Chuck Brown if you don't know.
Speaker 11: He was the godfather of Go Go And it is straight DC, Maryland and Virginia music.
Speaker 7: But it fucking kills.
Speaker 2: It does if you if you know, like a, this is Chuck Brown.
Speaker 12: Christmas Baby, that was Chuck Brown, the soul Siers Merry Christmas Baby?
Speaker 1: Hey can I can? I? Since you're the resident DC person here. Like my my thing with Go Go is how come none of the studio.
Speaker 7: Versions sound like the lie version.
Speaker 1: Come off good, like I get it, but it doesn't compare to the livery.
Speaker 7: I know they don't know, I don't know what.
Speaker 11: But when they take they do make albums to tape live and then you know, you just sell it like that.
Speaker 7: That's the way you gotta do it. Just buy a live joint.
Speaker 2: All right. So is there a place in d C that has can we do a Go Go episode? I would yeah, I really would like to do a Go Go episode.
Speaker 7: Oh my god, Bill, that's that's so awesome.
Speaker 11: And then we could play like the people who like made Go Go songs like Salt and Pepper and.
Speaker 1: Like I want to play like no, no, no, that's real though, like you because like how we not how.
Speaker 2: We tea but her love her go go real straight go. The room doesn't know what go Go is.
Speaker 1: Go Go is a very very regional again very actually shouldn't say it because I'm not from d C d.
Speaker 7: Because it's really it's my.
Speaker 2: Thing is that very percussion based.
Speaker 1: The the rhythm of Go Go is actually based from a Philly song, which kind of what we.
Speaker 7: Which now you start in trouble what you're talking about?
Speaker 1: No, because I mean, at the end of the day, Go Go's rhythm bass is based on this.
Speaker 2: Oh mister Magic, Yeah is that what?
Speaker 7: What's what's the year.
Speaker 2: Mister Magic seventy three?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, mister Magic by Glover Washington.
Speaker 1: Yes, from the album this is mister Magic Glover Washington, Josh Hill not.
Speaker 11: This is like a DC favorite song. Like I was raised on this song. That's so funny, right, so.
Speaker 13: Hey, shut up, were talking about their credit card scam one day?
Speaker 2: Yo? Wait, oh wait, or way that grabbit. Let's stay, let's stay, let's stay. I think I know what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: You know, still don't know what Okay, go go, Yeah, go go. Basically like it's I mean, the rhythm of Go Go, I feel has been derivative of a Philly song, which is mister Magic.
Speaker 7: That ain't the way to describe that's that's that it's cute.
Speaker 2: It's not. That's a really wrong way to describe it.
Speaker 7: It's a percussion it's a very percussion sound.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just get in. I'll play pump me Up, which is the quintessential trouble funk.
Speaker 1: Trouble but really, Go Go is bitches ain't shipped by Doctor dre Is.
Speaker 2: What is Yeah.
Speaker 11: In trouble, Go Go can only be performed with a live like a band, a full band, counga's drums, everything. It is DC, Virginia, Maryland and really is kind of interesting because it kind of stuck there.
Speaker 1: But one of your favorite singers, Art Garfuncle, appeared in the movie.
Speaker 2: He's pointing at me.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry that actually my explanation did it? Was me that Sugar Sugar Steve Art Garfuncle thought that the future Go Go was going to really come well. Him and Chris the owner of Island Records, Chris black Chris Blackwell like they really thought, like nineteen eighty six is going to be the year like Go Go is going to exclude And so they did this movie called Good to Go, where Yo I vaguely remember that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it didn't do shit, It didn't do it.
Speaker 1: And Chris, like Chris Blackwell thought that Go Go in the eighties was going to do for him what Reggae and Bob Marley did in the seventies, and it was unfortunate that it didn't. But I mean, Rick Rubin signed the junk Yard band to def jam, So I didn't remember sardines in the word are on deaf jam.
Speaker 2: Talk about matter of fact?
Speaker 1: Junk Junk Yard Band is the first deaf jam group to get the new or the classic deaf jam logo, not the maroon old school deaf jam logo of the Beastie Boys.
Speaker 7: Is a legendary go go bands.
Speaker 1: But pumped me up as like one of the famous. This is one of the probably the best studio example of go go.
Speaker 2: Really percussive, really percussive.
Speaker 7: Y'all ain't got no go Go bans or station Oh sh around here.
Speaker 2: Is there one? This is also the song that Q scratched in Juice. That's right, that's right, that's right, right.
Speaker 1: And I believe last night Pete Robill that he was doing that.
Speaker 2: He did the.
Speaker 1: Cuts were out last night, notlast night ago. Now I'm so drunk I thought it was last night.
Speaker 2: It was a few weeks ago with mirror Yeah, lay off the duce. Wow, I'm surprised that music didn't catch.
Speaker 7: On, you know what, I hear your shade anyway.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean, but go go music.
Speaker 7: Is the butt do y'all know the butt doing the But that.
Speaker 2: Was like the biggest, probably the closest mainstream.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a really great oral history on uh from Marcus Miller. Uh noted Jazz Bassis uh producing that record with with EU or the the Trouble.
Speaker 2: But yeah, because he.
Speaker 7: Sounds like a crazy sentence.
Speaker 1: Well no, I mean Marcus Miller. You know he produced Luther Vandros like he was doing some damn.
Speaker 7: I didn't know he was that, Like, that's interesting.
Speaker 1: I never Yeah, absolutely so, Marcus Miller produced it and half of the School Days soundtrack.
Speaker 7: That's an awesome soundtrack.
Speaker 2: We got it.
Speaker 1: We have to get my shout out. Shout out to the raise be alone tonight the best song.
Speaker 11: O my god, Ta Campbell's whenever she sings at her club in l A. Like, it's still the last time I saw her singing. A J came on and it together and I lost my mind. I still got it in my phone.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 11: I'm sorry, that's house party. But you know what I'm saying. She did do I want to I don't want to be alone at night.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 7: I mean, but a J did come on stage.
Speaker 2: Wow, this this is okay. What's your favorite Christmas song? Look to the left right that the whole world.
Speaker 1: We won't even have to describe what's going on right now.
Speaker 2: To go over Washington be quiet.
Speaker 1: Yes, anyway, So that's your favorite song?
Speaker 2: Like this one?
Speaker 7: I think it's only right.
Speaker 2: Do you know?
Speaker 7: Keep it?
Speaker 2: That was a long tangent. Oh you know how it was?
Speaker 7: Don't mean people don't know.
Speaker 2: I apologize for you. The rabbit hole. That is the show. That's my fault.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my favorite Christmas song, I would probably say Clarence called a backdoor.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, of course. Stroking.
Speaker 14: That's what I be doing, stroking, stroking, stroke, stroke it to the woman I love that stroked this question? What time of the day do you like to make?
Speaker 2: Look? Have you ever made it up in a car? Have you ever made look? Aperp You're welcome world. That's what happens after only stroking based on the commercials. How did you know it?
Speaker 5: Because that was the Southern song like that. Stroker used to get played on the radio. We played on the radio, actually.
Speaker 1: Anywhere back door Santa Clarence Carter. Some of you hip hop PAGs will say it sounds mighty familiar.
Speaker 7: Oh wow, I got that one. Can I guess this is this? But you guess it.
Speaker 2: It's Clarence Carter back Door Sannah. Yeah, sorry, Santa, I make my ROMs about the breaking the.
Speaker 6: STA makes some serious stereo separation.
Speaker 2: I got alright, Yeah, Clarence Carter, he had U. That was another one.
Speaker 5: It was that one, yeah, with back Doors back Door sataquest Love Spring on infen Door Live from Electrilated Studios, and ye had that one. He had a stroke on and he also had Patches. That was another I've never heard. Was so depressing as fuck, Patches depending on Wait, here's the anything about Patches?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: That saying it? Well? Patches was.
Speaker 1: When when we worked when the Roots worked on our sixteenth record, we worked on uh uh and then you shoot your cousin.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 1: Richard Nichols are our dearly departed producer and manager, said that he wanted the album version of Patches like just a very depressing, gut wrenching uh song that did that accomplished?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Man, yeah man. Anyway, I got a song. I want to choose what you got.
Speaker 7: You're gonna tell us before you.
Speaker 2: Just drop it? Yeah, I gotta find it first.
Speaker 7: What's your favorite Christmas holiday song?
Speaker 4: Boss?
Speaker 2: I got a whole Christmas mixtape we do and I rean it last Christmas? You read did it? IRR? Just get on because ran Nintendo and mix tape. Yeah you had to, Dany you put the Dana dangel on on that joint. Dan is coming to town, man, I forgot about that one. That was the first time I heard the long red breakbeat alone. Yeah. I actually purchased that profile. It's still up on the ternet. Yeah, I gotta find it. The artist is uh actually you know what.
Speaker 1: Uh. Wendy Williams played this on her show the very first time I spoke to uh uh back when he was her psidechic Uh. Yeah, first time I ever spoke to Charlotte Mane. I called, I called the station and asked him to send me the song. I never heard it before, but it's one of my favorite Christmas songs.
Speaker 2: Uh. This is the other one where it's not Christmas until I hear this song. Yes, this is Santa Claus Is a Black Man by Kim Teddy Van.
Speaker 8: Hey you at night?
Speaker 7: You know last night my mama turned out to like.
Speaker 5: That is a very important song that Santa Claus is a Black Man because they and the reason why it is important is because listen I think that did you just black people?
Speaker 2: I did, because the last is the black father. You don't want your your you listen, I know what you're doing this. Come on.
Speaker 5: My brother said, I tell my kids that Santa Claus is me, motherfucker, because all the ship that I do to provide, I'm not gonna give the credit.
Speaker 2: To a fucking white man and you running down the chimney. No, nigga, it wasn't him.
Speaker 1: It was me.
Speaker 2: Nigga got them hosted question of Supreme and when they.
Speaker 5: Ship, I'm like, bro, it was me because I think that like listen, no, and this is real. I think black people from if you look at like Jesus and then like Santa Claus and ship where those are like in mainstream you know portrayals, those are white men that are always saving niggas.
Speaker 2: So like they from when you're sleeping, they know you away. I'm like the all knowing white man. I'm like, Nigga, this nigga know when I'm sleeping them awake, so I gotta.
Speaker 7: Be good for his sake. Funk out of here.
Speaker 2: So no, it's me.
Speaker 5: Santa Claus is here because of me, because of questlot Supreme, Me flying back and forth we got the New York God Damn Tickelero for in exchange nigga, I had to go to the Grammys though for this house me.
Speaker 2: It ain't no nigga coming down to fucking Chimney who plasma. My life is for this ship. So it's important for black people.
Speaker 5: I think over the years of seeing those figures of like white men saving niggas, I think that affects your psyche f a while.
Speaker 2: So that is why I think it's important. No, I'm totally I'm totally cool.
Speaker 6: Bill Sherman favorite holiday song, Slowly.
Speaker 2: I'm actually curious. This is the one thing I actually give a ship about it. I want to know.
Speaker 6: Well, I just this is what I came into the interview. You wanted to find out three So tell me your song.
Speaker 7: We're only doing one.
Speaker 2: Now, we only do one.
Speaker 3: I want to everybody's least Johnny Hathaway. This Christmas okay, and this is so long long.
Speaker 2: Gap tune whatever.
Speaker 9: This Christmas.
Speaker 1: And as we trained the treaty ladies and gentlemen, that was of course the Donnie Halfway classic This Christmas Uh chosen.
Speaker 3: By of all people, unpaid Bill I got so just glad you all motherfuckers didn't think I was gonna say that, Emma right, because I got.
Speaker 2: My really did give me your real jew? One by the famous Blue Christmas Pop Row and Miles David Sexta. Do you know that one? That's a good one. Wait, you're talking fast and.
Speaker 3: Talking about and dominates the Italian Christmas Donkey, which is a amazing song.
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 3: Dominic the Italian Christmas Donkey? I'm just glad you didn't say Grandma got right over by. I used to listen to that song and eat chicken lital soup and my friend Kevin Porter's house every Saturday seventh.
Speaker 2: That's true, boss Bill.
Speaker 7: You better run this ship.
Speaker 2: What's your favorite Christmas song? My favorite Christmas song is Vince Garraldi's Christmas Time. Yeah, that's good. So that's my favorite Christmas great song. I'm with you, I'm with your brother, m h all right, So, Steve, what what is your favorite Shaka con jam?
Speaker 6: My favorite Christmas song is do they Know It's Christmas? By band Aid, which is I'm sure you remember when the forty five came out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember when it when it premiered on Friday Night Videos.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that was I remember buying the forty five like at sam Goodie or something. It was at the counter and a special thing because the money went to charity, so.
Speaker 2: You felt like you were doing your part to feed the world. No, I just liked the song, like Phil Collins was on it. It was like a whole It was like a whole bunch of British people.
Speaker 11: And again it was the white We Are the World, right, and they both they both got Africa.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this was before We Are the World. It was it was like a year or so.
Speaker 1: Oh really, oh wow, so they were okay, Yeah, I thought that was started live aid.
Speaker 2: Hands Across America was biting off of the We Are the World all right, Shore advanced. Anybody participate in Hands Across America.
Speaker 7: Did you really have to go outside and the hold Hands?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I ran, I ran, I just button line, like I was supposed to. You registered somewhere and then they give you a number and then you're supposed to go there. But the location they gave me the Hold Hands was like somewhere deep in North Philly.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: And even if I'm not from North Philly, the way that I said North Philly, let you know that, yeah, you know what it is.
Speaker 2: It was near MLK Boulevard in.
Speaker 7: Holding hands up there, So.
Speaker 1: I missed this hands across across. This was niggas was going outside holding hand rogers like who started hands across? Because I remember the song?
Speaker 2: So was this like and you just hail hands? So this was basically the eighties Mannequin challenge without Yeah it was.
Speaker 1: I remember I was I cut. I tried to cut Church late or not. I cut it early because I wanted to buy run dem Sea's Raising Hell.
Speaker 2: Cut Church to go by Raising Hell and hold just the position.
Speaker 1: So I caught Raising Hell. I picked the red cover because they had multiple covers. And then I got off the trolley and saw everybody holding hands and was like, yeah, this this is my cue to not go to North Philly. Like you weren't supposed to just button line and hold someone's hands, but I did.
Speaker 7: You have to make a reservation.
Speaker 2: Okay, but what was this? So what was it supposed to show? Like solidarity or you know?
Speaker 1: The whole point was that we America was supposed to hold hands with each other from California all the way to New York, Like I got some on hands.
Speaker 2: What's what's the long sixty six. Yeah you just yeah, you old.
Speaker 1: Hand's supposed five minutes, fifteen minutes, fifteen minutes.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, So what did that have to do with the world?
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 2: Dude?
Speaker 1: They know it's christ Well, we were just talking about eighties. You know, the eighties were really big on charity, yeah and stuff. Well, since we're talking about it, do we have the Y Club's version of the Other World?
Speaker 2: No, the DJ College version.
Speaker 1: I don't care how drunk you are right now, never, ever, ever, ever, everything's on your list, like that song.
Speaker 2: Who else was on that?
Speaker 6: Steve Well, Bono and Sting and Bob yelled Off and boy George and the old British, a.
Speaker 2: Lot of not well.
Speaker 1: I noticed that everyone blew up after the fact, like when was having some heat by then eighty four and wasn't on it?
Speaker 2: But Michael, George Michael was on it. I'm pretty sure George Michael was on Yes he was, Yes, he was head, Yes your one, yes, George Michael. Okay, yeah, I remember now and then Simon Lebon comes in having fun? Should we should we? Let's play this song. It's all about Phil Collins, but anyway, it is all about Phil Collins. But yeah, they oh, all right, trying to hit the post. That's the post. I forgot the post and.
Speaker 7: This is Bono right.
Speaker 2: It's a fun game. You're trying to identify every singer as you go through the song. Donald got first DIBs on this train, the boy George. I'm just waiting for the hook because this don't is not ringing. Still don't know the song. I'm waiting for the hook groove like what did you have cable in the house?
Speaker 7: There were.
Speaker 2: George, Michael, Michael and then Durandman. Well right here. The song was a big guilt trip is what it is to get you to donate to charity. Yeah, it was like a white guilt soundtrack. It takes like forty minutes to get to the hook.
Speaker 7: Apparently hurry up and buy.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's where it grows in the video, Jody Wattley's sort of resembling Solange.
Speaker 7: Now thentmas at all.
Speaker 2: I remember this bush.
Speaker 7: Okay Yo, where's the beat the world part?
Speaker 2: Though it comes later Temptation. There is Margaret You Better Shimmer Down? That was Paul Young Chris. This was remade by someone, right was this? It was remade about three or four years ago. Okay, modern artists like cold Boy.
Speaker 1: They did a version in two thousand and four. Yeah, cold plays and cold plays on it. They did win in eighty nine too, maybe, I think I think the eighty nine was the one. I know who was eighty nine? You remember Kathy Dallas?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Wait, just that's the version I know, Kylie.
Speaker 5: They used to play that version when I wore Stansfield. Yep, they have the white, the white, the blue white sold. Yeah, Like what did it sound like? I remember the Pasadena?
Speaker 2: I remember this in the barn. Yes, remember the Pasadena. That was London beat. That's this is kind of what that what British music sound like at the time. Like this was the production You do know.
Speaker 10: That, right?
Speaker 2: Unpaid Bill? What that this is prototypical of British Yeah, I mean yeah, no, I mean clearly this is the d X seven being used to the hill. I so what year was that though? Nineteen eighty four? Okay, so I remember this song they used to play that.
Speaker 5: I think the eighty nine version they used to play when I worked at KB Toys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, can you working at k about working a KB toy? My favorite person to was. It was a budget of tours and Russ kb KB Toys. He used to work at the one in the mall, and yeah, man, that ship was it was pretty bad. It was pretty bad. What did you do there? I was a I did some everything. I was. I worked the register.
Speaker 5: I was like the stock guy. I was customer service. So like when people would come in and be like, yo, I need to fucking tickle me um or whatever, where is it?
Speaker 2: I would pull them to it.
Speaker 1: Did you like stashed toys in the back just so that you can get first dips on buying them?
Speaker 11: Nah?
Speaker 2: I didn't really. I didn't really do that.
Speaker 5: I was I was kind of looking for at the time. I was video games, That's what I was, you know, trying to see if they were at them. But it was a pretty pretty bad job. But my my manager was this black lady named Helen. She was cool as shit and she was cool.
Speaker 2: She she put me on.
Speaker 5: I think I was making maybe like seven dollars an hour, which was good. It was pretty good for like you know what you're like, this was ninety eight hell it, you know what I mean? It was like it wasn't wasn't bad. Wasn't a bad job? Yeah, KB Toys, And then they later went Billy up and so that was the end of an era. But they used to play that jam and they used to play.
Speaker 2: Uh God damn like Christmas. Let us they played that jam and they used to play that and uh Wonderful Christmas Time by yep, Paul McCartney my favorite. That was the jam. That's still the jam. That's not my favorite. You told us your favorite was something else already.
Speaker 1: Well no, no, no, well I have a lot of favorites, you know, but no, Wonderful Christmas Time was you know that that was a happy moment for for my childhood.
Speaker 2: No, that was the story, because there's a story.
Speaker 1: I don't I don't think I have good stories about Christmas. I mean, my best Christmas I think was I thought I was only getting socks. It was like our poorest Christmas. So you know, like when you only get socks and sweaters, like stuff that you really don't need from that that has that that warn't accessory gift in the corner.
Speaker 2: I was. I was.
Speaker 1: I was resigned to just having that. But I forgot that My dad had a drummer that went a wall on him. So one day I just came downstairs and got that drum set for Christmas, just like.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Yes, that was their best investment ever. But I mean much of the career started with one guy saying, going of going, shout out to Frog. His name was Frog.
Speaker 1: Frog jumped the fun out the way, shout out to Frog for uh for looking out and uh abandoning his uh career. And my dad in in somewhere in Ohio, I think in Stupenville, I think.
Speaker 2: But uh, yeah, somehow that reminded me. I don't know how that happened.
Speaker 5: Me working at KB Tours and you asked me unpaid bill working at KB And so the Mexicans used.
Speaker 2: To come in there.
Speaker 7: Correct this besides me.
Speaker 5: Now because they would come in and I learned that I kind of became the mark. So basically, when you come in, they ask you. They would always ask, you know, uh, calle fat fetch I feat you like the price, like what is what is the price? And so I guess if you if they asked you what it was and you took it up to the counter, they would have to do a price check. And so after a while I started putting together I'm like, okay, are they trying to like negotiate with me? Or they trying to kind of bough or whatever. So finally this, uh, this is my coworker. It was I can't remember this. I think that was Susan something. This white lady had long blight hair. She's like, fante, everything is price is marked. Tell them everything is fucking price is marked. I was like okay, and so.
Speaker 2: I just told them prices. This is the price, that's what it is. And then they left me alone. But they used to come in. They came me along, but they used to come in. That motherfucker they pay with cash. They pull out.
Speaker 5: God damn, you know what I'm saying. And I'm sure you know there was a story behind that. They probably you just never calllimination. Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: But I learned a lot work. The K said, I don't know where that. But you have a Christmas job, Steve, Uh, no.
Speaker 4: Job?
Speaker 2: Now Christmas job? What do you need? I mean, I shovel driveways from you know what Christmas job is? I put this holiday holiday? What do you mean? You mean like specific job during Christmas time just for the holiday.
Speaker 7: See, sometimes people get extra jobs during.
Speaker 1: The holidays, shovel driveways on on my street man cash Okay, well yeah everyone does that.
Speaker 2: I mean that I never got paid for it. My boys don't do paid for You volunteered to do it in your neighbor. Well, no, I didn't do it like that, but I wasn't sho anybody else this driveway. I shovel.
Speaker 1: That's where my prince stass came from already from driver. Yeah, because like dad Rythm shits out and then I just shovel. You didn't deal with Indiana winners. So that's very true. That's very true.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I go out shovel, make about forty bucks, and then by the Prince disciography all over again for.
Speaker 11: The third you ever you ever try to shovel at this age, it's like a whole different like feeling in this day.
Speaker 7: I just wanted to just anybody ever, you know, because the pain be for real.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, that's what nieces and nephews are for.
Speaker 7: That's real exercise. I don't know if we ain't know it then, but it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I shoveled out my my neighbor that looks that lives like two hours down from me. Uh, miss Darlene, I shovel her, uh show her driveway for you know, she's all the older black lady, and I try to be as calls me a friend to the black woman.
Speaker 1: I was in my head, I was praying this was gonna be like one of those Playboy Electric Blue.
Speaker 2: Perfect name. Yeah, like some eighty porn old lady. But Na, she was cool.
Speaker 5: Amn's five mins and but you're right though, shoveling snow now that ship is man, Yeah, my kids do that ship.
Speaker 2: I ain't about to die in the driveways shoving.
Speaker 1: I moved the shovel driver. Well, my dad was a shoveling dropp. I don't know where the my nephew was, but he had like some heart issues while he was Okay, somebody put some pineapple in front of me.
Speaker 5: Right bro, Sorry so yeah, yeah, man, I should have put that in this damn liquor soaked the pineapple and the liquor.
Speaker 2: That would have been a huge city say and pineapple.
Speaker 1: Brown ship, you know, brown drinking ship, drinking prison brown ship.
Speaker 5: Yeah, since we're talking about this, he's explained to me the origin of hooch. I have no idea, like, do you mean the terminology or.
Speaker 2: Just this is ran about fruit ferment inside? Who is just?
Speaker 5: Who is just it's illegally made liquor. So I actually have members of my family that that do it. I can't walk you through the process, but I don't want to know how to make it. Okay, yeah, but I don't know where is it? Yeah, speak easy liquor houses. It kind of comes from that. In the black community, we always had, like you know, the underground economy.
Speaker 2: So that's exactly what are you serious?
Speaker 7: Now you can get strawberry moons.
Speaker 2: But is it?
Speaker 5: But if they if you can buy moonshine in the liquor store, is it still moonshine? Once the slave masters show up? Is it still a slave.
Speaker 12: Like?
Speaker 2: Really, the the lure is gone? Like, man, when we really gets legal like whatever.
Speaker 7: No, I don't worry. But it's about.
Speaker 2: You think, my boy, the power to legislation, know to be fine?
Speaker 7: People ever about to be great?
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, we'll be great. You sound like down?
Speaker 5: Uh well, no, man, I'm yeah, mom shine. I had my first taste of it when I was a kid. Now, I think, but I think a lot of drugs as a kid that I probably shouldn't.
Speaker 1: Backs or like with their blessings, like did you have one of my uncles and aunts like here boy, my okay, my my uncles and my grandmother.
Speaker 5: They were like, I know, you'll get Bruce's millions. He was like, listen, I'm gonna make you hate cigarette.
Speaker 2: He called. His dad called and smoking a cigarette.
Speaker 5: He was like, look, I'm gonna make you hate cigarette making by making you smoke like a pack of day.
Speaker 2: So for me, I went through that.
Speaker 5: Where I got it was I got it two ways. My grandmother, my this was my dad's mom. She was God rest his So she used to dip snuff. Right, what is snuff?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 5: So snuff is tobacco is chewing tobacco. She used to dip snuff and so she had a a blue can a snuff it and it was like so and so peach snuff. So I'm like four five and I just I'm like, I'm like, now, no, let me teach, let me, let's taste it. She was like, nah, don't don't you want this that? I said, well, nah, I say peaches on it. This, I mean it, it's gotta be good.
Speaker 2: It's peaches. Okay, baby, don't do it. I said, nah, now, let me take it.
Speaker 5: So finally she was like, okay, go ahead, brother, I took one. It hit my tongue and I accidentally swallowed something. To this day, I've never I've just many drugs, a vice creamen, not no hard ship, not not real drugs. But like just like we I've never in my dad. Was not real drugs. I've never smoked a cigarette in my life.
Speaker 2: But she let you just do it.
Speaker 1: It wasn't any punishment, right, No, no, no, she just let me do it because she wanted me. I think she wanted me to see how bad it really was.
Speaker 5: And so then I had another instance saying, Grandma, they had some corn liquor or moonshine, that's what you know. We called it corn liquor down the country, but you know your corn liquor. And I took one hit of that. Bro Oh no, oh no, you're you're I think we might have somebody die. Shine, Did you just called up a laptop? I just came out with you gentlemen.
Speaker 2: I know you can't see this, but Steve has been coughing for the last like five minutes.
Speaker 7: In his mouth.
Speaker 1: It's as if he coughed up a laptop. Sugar computer court like sugar.
Speaker 7: Coming back to his original corn liquor, say something so people know you alive.
Speaker 2: I mean, David Blaine of coughing cough this ship. Right wait, it was either that.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I'm gonna turn this into a really dark Christmas story or no, in go in, But all right now this see culturally, it's different with the households. And you know, our particular households were big on corporal punishment.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, which which modern that's the worst. You know, modern day that's known as abuse.
Speaker 2: But you know it was around.
Speaker 1: I definitely remember the Christmas treet being up. But I I too, like like the way you were attracted to peach or whatever the font was. There's a cigarette company called bel Air Cigarettes. Do you remember bell Air cigarettes?
Speaker 2: Ah? Man? What they were like? They were like in the Virginia Slims family pall, mall, did we just go down the whole no, being like.
Speaker 11: Telling me about the Blayers. Were those the candy kinds you could eat or no, those real signats.
Speaker 2: It was real motherfucking cigarettes. I like the candy cigarette candy cigarettes for my shit. Yeah yeah, eighties, even those bubble gum candy.
Speaker 1: It was bored because I mean I said, I want to smoke that because I like the logo and everything the clouds and everything bel air and you know, I see I hate putting this out.
Speaker 2: My dad's not.
Speaker 1: But uh yeah, in one of his many Joe Jackson glory moments, that was that was probably the second worst punishment I've ever gotten.
Speaker 7: Was he a switchman, a belt man, a handman.
Speaker 2: We had a slave whip. I didn't know about.
Speaker 11: No.
Speaker 1: One day when we talk about the worst punishment, Okay, we'll go into that, we'll go into that, but no, actually, to this day, uh in the Isley Brothers discography, like, first of all, if you do punish your kids and and reprimand them to turn the music off because.
Speaker 2: It's gonna ruin that song, it's gonna ruin everything.
Speaker 1: To this day time you feel paid it, brother, to this day, Harvest for the World got the album cover. Everything associated with that record traumatizes the ship out and there is no album in nineteen seventy six. It goes heat is on straight to go for you like there's nothing in between anything Blue them standing on water. Wow, that damn and it's lowing down the world. It'sn't even like Eliah's cover of that best like that, So he beat I asked for the whole album. Damn, did he take a break to flips for a minute?
Speaker 2: We feel Robert Harris, but when I want to know the records. But that is a fra yo whipping music. I had to smoke eight cigarettes.
Speaker 7: You smoked eight the whipping.
Speaker 1: I'll take the whipping, and then I got with but yeah, let me down. Do you imagine get your ass beat to let me down? All aside to harvest for the world. I got my ass beat.
Speaker 2: Yo.
Speaker 5: Hey, I think said the president of me not drinking, me not smoking. You know, I'm with you, Yeah, I think, yeah, definitely. I don't think you have to go that hardcore. But yeah, that was shout out to Christmas seventy six. So anyway, tell me more about you know, it's Christmas.
Speaker 2: They were the first to do it.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: I mean I'm a big fan of We Are the World as well. All right, So what wins? It's a really hard question, A really hard question.
Speaker 7: Really, Yeah, what's a really hard question.
Speaker 2: The world?
Speaker 1: Because for me, yeah, no, no, no, no, no no no, I actually liked the documentary to We Are the World was incredible.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You see Michael Jackson dancing like James Brown with the man that was.
Speaker 7: And I'm trying to teach Bob Dyla how to really get up in there because.
Speaker 2: That was man.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean Elewis Bridge man to me, like do they I feel like, do they know it's Christmas has more? I don't know, it's it's I think it's probably a better song and like a better performance and a better recording. And but We're the World, you know, had Quincy Jones, Michael Jackson line of Richie and you know, I feel like Ray Charles.
Speaker 2: I may like that song better. It's just so you know the fact they knocked that out in eight hours, I have respect for them to you know, to execute with precision.
Speaker 1: Because leave your eagles at the door. Yeah, that was my favorite. Yeah when he said leave you check your eagles at the door. And there's one point went where he did raise his voice and you remember when Stevie and James were kind of making fun of Quincy, he said something I haven't seen.
Speaker 2: Like there's talking to background.
Speaker 1: I need, I mean it and then everyone got silent and then like you just see like James Ingram, Stevie Wonder like.
Speaker 2: Business like they were like mocking them making fun of him.
Speaker 11: Is that like your favorite, like because you know, it's been a couple of records where it's like twenty artists for random like things like there's the m lkge on going to play Martin Luther. What's the Martin Luther King song with Whitney Houston. And then there was a golf War song which was more inclusive racial.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there was a.
Speaker 2: Yell yes, no, they did give me the chance. That's right.
Speaker 11: What's the songwriter dude who married uh the generous ex wife who has Brodie Jenner And I know this is a bad for y'all.
Speaker 7: Should have a bunch of songs on.
Speaker 1: How many ex wife Brewster and like three yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I did everything.
Speaker 2: I ran through so many bitches stop right there and okay now because we miss it. It was the what was it?
Speaker 11: It was?
Speaker 2: That's what friendic for. That was the aid song, right, that was just a few people.
Speaker 11: Then it was lift every voice and sing with Jazmine Guy doing the in the video, doing the dance the solo.
Speaker 2: I remember that. I remember that. That's really Melbourne more behind she was in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all the it's the whole genre, all the people that Melbourne and her husband were shut to Melbourne more by the way she she reaches out to you too. No, No, she didn't reach out to me. I know she reached out to you. She didn't reach out to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she got out to me, actually.
Speaker 6: To Melbourne Moore, who frequently listens to the show and she frequently reaches out to at Stephen Mandel.
Speaker 2: She does, but she will. I mean, who wouldn't. My aunt gave me one of her old albums. I remember the name of it. She's like laying down. No, not that that's one of the I believe on me, Not that lean on me. She's like laying down on the album cover. It's like a long title.
Speaker 11: Hm.
Speaker 7: You know I can't sing a song. I can't sing a Melbourne.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: You know me if you were born five years earlier. Back when she like she came to our attention, I get. I guess the the Hamilton of hits day was No.
Speaker 2: I thought I thought it was pearly pearly okay, oh, but she was in here too, though she did hair as well. I didn't know that she was a brock, but I think pearly is what got her.
Speaker 1: Uh. I believe she got a tone with with par to I got a record deal, and then you know, just became al but more. But she she did a song called Lean on Me, which he infamously would hold the.
Speaker 2: Last note for like and it sounded just like that forty.
Speaker 1: For like credit forty seven seconds like she would hold it long and then yell out.
Speaker 2: I think she's speaking tongues. Now, I gotta find it. Can you believe that?
Speaker 11: I just knew it from being married to the reverend from Amen. And then something happened to the man she was married to. Yeah, it was it was like some drugs.
Speaker 7: No, I promise you, I promise.
Speaker 2: You no, because I know that her husband managed Freddy Jack. Yeah. He was a bull Huggins, right, yes, right, Bull Higgins, Yeah Huggins. It was hust production orfeousoush up again but death by Tips, right they produced that. Yeah, she said that by Temptation with Harrison with Bill the Third, Yeah, that's right right. You know that was my hero when he was in the Fishes Pittsburgh.
Speaker 11: He was a boyfriend. I'm sorry, he was her boyfriend. He at the actor reveals the abusing women drugs. Yes, this is Melbourne and Clifton Davis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Melbourne. She was in death by temptation. She was Wasn't she like a psychic or character? She was a psychic or something that's a spiritual medium or something like that.
Speaker 2: But that's sounds about right. But yeah, she was in here. That's a lot from here anyways, to be I thought it was.
Speaker 7: This.
Speaker 2: Wait, what song is this? This is lean on Me from Melbourne Moore. All right, this is a classic in the seventh movie Break it Down.
Speaker 1: She could sing, so would you gotta understand everybody's singing these ad libs for batim In seventy four seventy.
Speaker 7: Five, she got more base to her voice, and but she was impersonate.
Speaker 2: Sorry, so she will hold this note, make it?
Speaker 1: And then she holds this ship for like forty seven seconds, like she even did this shit on the Tonight Show.
Speaker 2: All right, this is the editor person but it goes for another apart.
Speaker 7: Wow, yells, shit, she said shit.
Speaker 1: I remember it was on the Tonight Show she did that ship. It was like she's speaking in tongues.
Speaker 2: Wait what was that mean? Two year old? Yeah, like she was being in tongues. You know that? Make that my ringtone? Yeah, I don't think you want to hear that voice. Af three in the morning as your ringtone. Okay, yeah, so anyway, Yeah, I got my ass beat to uh Isley Brothers the album Both Wait, hold on, keep talking. I'm gonna find out how long this album. You're gonna call child Services now I want to file a retroactive child damn.
Speaker 11: For your information, you should also know Clifton Davis and Melbourn had a TV show together like Share and Sunny when circa.
Speaker 7: Nineteen seventy two. According to IMDb, oh.
Speaker 1: Variety shows were like like, that's the thing being the age I am. I'm proud to have seen many a one off variety show.
Speaker 2: They were like the reality shows of today, you could so, you could say. And the Pips had their own variety show for like eight episodes.
Speaker 1: I mean the Jackson's had their own I mean Flip Wilson Wilson he had, but there was Tony Orlando and Dawn Sonny and chaer Ben.
Speaker 2: Share had her own show.
Speaker 1: Well everyone knows Donny m Well everyone my age should know Donnie Marie.
Speaker 7: Donny Mary Osmen And now all we got is Martin and mine.
Speaker 2: That's yes, and Marty if you want to be okay, yeah, Maya and Marty.
Speaker 6: The Melbourne More album. I was referring to that. My anti gamy is from nineteen seventy one. It's called look what You're doing to the Man.
Speaker 2: Who's the man? I'm the man.
Speaker 1: Apparently Christmas nineteen seventy six of Mire got his Ass feet for thirty seven minutes and fifty.
Speaker 2: Four solid half hour. Man.
Speaker 1: No, I remember let Me Down Easy. I don't remember too much going on on at your best. I think it was on my eighth cigarette by the time.
Speaker 2: You get comes on the album before let Me Down Easy? Now, Yeah, exactly, That's what I mean. Like, I think by that point I was throwing up. We need to get back to that as parents. Let's talk about it for the length of sitcoms.
Speaker 3: Theme song credit, right, you know what I'm saying. Condition Yeah, you do not condone? So are you are you a time out parent?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 2: No, you know what? Man for me?
Speaker 5: I thank god, I've only I've only had to probably just really like put hands on my kids, both boys, maybe like once or twice, like when they were.
Speaker 2: Like they're good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, you just put the fear of God in it. Oh well, it's a little of both, because I mean I do have good boys. I mean they you know, they test a little somebody once a while, but I generally do have really great kids. But I had to put the fear in early. And you know, I for me can just be just a look, you know what I mean, or just to like look, come on, brou But so I never really had to get into that. I went through it, you know what I'm saying. I went through it like for real, for real. But I never really had to beat my boys like that. At least you got to look.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my ship was without warning. Oh it's just.
Speaker 7: So you ain't nobody send you into the woods to go get the switch, Go get me a switch.
Speaker 8: My dad.
Speaker 1: See, you gotta understand, from the period that my dad retired, initially from show business, him and my mother had a boutique or a shot or that sort of thing. And then for like half a second, I don't know like what else they were sold there. But yeah, for one unfortunate March of nineteen eighty one, there was the slave actually boutique.
Speaker 7: The whip came from this storm.
Speaker 2: I would assume it would sell it to them or was this a slave whip passed?
Speaker 1: Said?
Speaker 2: They just my last whipped me and now you can make weirdird artifacts. Man, you know what I'm saying. So I had the I didn't have you ever like hide the belt like you did. I try.
Speaker 1: The belt fucked up. No, not in times where you were in trouble, just like in passing, like, oh there's that the belt.
Speaker 2: Let me hide this.
Speaker 5: I tried hiding the belt. But then when when hinding the belt it failed, objects just got more like obtuse. So so it went from a belt too because it then uh like like we were get the go pick you on switch.
Speaker 7: Joint and that's like, don't make it weak.
Speaker 1: That's some slave ship, like for real, like that's you. I've heard that in common, but I don't live near the place that had.
Speaker 2: Dude, we had we had a tree.
Speaker 5: We had a tree in my grandmother's backyard. And I want to say maybe it was a crape murder. I'm not sure, but it was.
Speaker 2: That was specific, bro.
Speaker 5: I think it was a murder, I think, But anyway, and you have to go out and you picked the little branch off and take the leaves off, and she liked that ass up.
Speaker 2: So then as I got a little bigger, she didn't do the switches. No, more so.
Speaker 5: Then I graduated to she had a flaswater. I think she had a floswatch, a flyswater. And then like my time was like eight nine. I got a hot wheels racetrack. I heard about orange joint yet bro no, no, no, no, I had I had that one, but I had another one.
Speaker 2: It was like a black and oh, the hard black ones.
Speaker 7: That's the way it was.
Speaker 5: It was the middle, it was like the curves and it was the straight pieces she used to the straight pieces.
Speaker 2: You figure that out. You grabbing an object like that, though, Like did you get the talk first and then I was ritual or was it just like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, most of the time I would say I would get the talk, or there would be some morning you know what I'm saying, Like if I was cutting up in church, the Sunday whooping is terrible because then you're whooping and you're just demoralized and you can't go nowhere, you can't go outside. You're just getting your ass beat and you're just in the house. That's fucking sad on a Sunday.
Speaker 2: Cartoons in the mall.
Speaker 1: You got women in public? Yeah, you never got popped in the public, But I got popped in front of my had the mama come to class.
Speaker 2: Women's terrible. I had that.
Speaker 1: You ever, it's like the words everybody hates Chris scenario where you're cutting up and you turn around, but it's one of the moments where your friends are like in your friends appointing, turn around, turn around, and then you turn around and you see your parents, Like I immediately regurgitated on them before like turned around and all over the floor because they had to drive. They were on the road like I was at my grandmother's house, so they had to drive like two hours from their gig to come to the ball.
Speaker 5: My god, that's that. Yeah, I didn't have to take off work, ass whooping, Yes, no, No, it's levels to it up here. I'm telling my brother, look that I didn't have to take work from my job. Yes, I ain't have no And this is before like this is the A. Wasn't no fucking PTO and none of that ship, no flex, It wasn't none of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't no, No, it wasn't no hr.
Speaker 5: It was like if you miss work, your ass ain't getting the chick And like, yeah, my mother had to come to the school for me one time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, work whipping Oh man, I feel for you, man. Yeah yeah, but it made me a stronger person. Somehow abuse made it better. I'm not saying it, but that ship was real though. Sorry, that just happened.
Speaker 7: Okay, when you ain't need no dairy though? That being beautiful?
Speaker 2: Man, that's too much information? All right? Are we totally depressed on Christmas?
Speaker 1: Right now?
Speaker 2: I'm happy because, in the words of a great songwriter, be glad as them, and I think every example we're given it was it was we made it. Look up, we came.
Speaker 3: Brothers.
Speaker 2: What we're never playing?
Speaker 10: I know?
Speaker 2: I did a few of my favorite Christmas songs? Can I have one more?
Speaker 9: Sure?
Speaker 2: Go ahead? Thanks, thanks, thanks, he said happily. Jesus, hey man, he's boss Bill, he lays backdown always from Indiana. Yeah, it's cold, it's cold.
Speaker 1: Yeah, cold, but well I want to go to The Fishbone had a sort of Christmas album.
Speaker 2: Uh cool, We're going to have a good life. You know.
Speaker 1: They have a really great song about heartbreak called slick nick You Devil You. So I want to play that on course Love Supreme only on Pandora Snigny style from Zoo.
Speaker 9: So Chimney with a Kettle boom.
Speaker 8: Putting my dog got in the cold, ripped off the candy from my socks.
Speaker 2: Smoking colds and.
Speaker 8: Drinking Scotch. Mh slignly you devil, slick Nick.
Speaker 2: That was slick Nick. You dob.
Speaker 1: By fish Bone Special Holiday edition of Quest Love Supreme.
Speaker 2: Uh, I go wow, Yeah, I think I got a hangover already. Yeah, this is uh Merry Christmas A bad idea? Do you imagine all the family? I think it's amazing idea. Do you guys do uh? Are you guys big on family during the holidays? No?
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's the only thing you can do for free.
Speaker 2: Really yeah?
Speaker 7: Really? You can eat their food, you can cook with your family like that is what the holidays.
Speaker 2: Are you in good with are you allowed to talk about? Are you in good with your family? Boss Bill?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean, like I just Christmas is just a hassle. I hate the travel during Christmas time. The last time, the last time I went home for Christmas was three years ago. Wait, so Christmas just another day to you? Yeah? You spending like in Brooklyn chilling? Yeah? Oh man, that's not the meaning of Christmas.
Speaker 3: That's the meaning of christ Over to the damn house for Christmas Chris, come over my house for like Christmas.
Speaker 7: Steve, you come to Saint Louis with me, But it ain't funny.
Speaker 2: I'm not trying to go. Why are you going to Saint Louis.
Speaker 7: Because my mama from Saint Louis am I.
Speaker 11: Her mother's ninety one, so we've got to let her get her last She's always no, she just was born and she left when she was sixteen, like all the other smart people like Jennifer Lewis from Saint Louis.
Speaker 2: Of course St Louis and I like Saint Louis too. There's a stop, no for real, but you like the art. I like the barbecue, yeah, Jerry curls.
Speaker 1: No, I mean someone like the block where the pageant is. It's a good record store there. There's a lot of vintage movie theaters. I fucks with Saint Louis.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, yeah, no, it's cool, but you know I would want it's nice to visit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, family on recent events in Saint Louis.
Speaker 7: Just period. It's a little slow there. Shout out to Saint Louis. I'm not it is big up to Saint Louis. I love y'all, but but from it's a little slower there, so really like ten years ago.
Speaker 2: Just sorry, I don't agree with you at all. You know when I some the best times in my life were in St.
Speaker 5: Louis, the real last town. It is home louse, real last town man, shout Nelly St.
Speaker 2: Louis man. Yeah, what do you do like now that your father? Okay, all right? Have you ever had to grinch your kids? Have you ever had to steal Christmas?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 2: Halfway? Santa Claus? Halfway? Did I am?
Speaker 5: Sadly nobody else? I'm not giving my credit? No fat white man fuck that? So okay, I feel, I really feel was.
Speaker 2: That from the beginning front there.
Speaker 5: They always, oh absolutely, once they were cognizant and were able to let them know, like, no, this Santa Claus ship that they selling, y'all, that's bullshit.
Speaker 1: When did you reveal to them that Santa Claus was no longer man? When we'ren like like four or five years old, like real, how they take the news? They were just like, okay, dad, you know, as long as we're getting some ship.
Speaker 14: Cool.
Speaker 5: They seriously, yeah, they don't care where the gifts come from. And but the thing was, now, what I did have to do with my youngest because he just would talk and just run in their mouth. So what I did have to tell him because he then took the ministry to school and was telling the kids, you know, Santa Claus isn't real, that's bullshit, And I'm like, nigga, you.
Speaker 2: In third you can't say so for him, I was like, okay, I got a chill.
Speaker 5: So what I had to tell him was like, listen, man, even though this is what we do in our household, you can't spoil it in other people's household. So if other people want to believe in Santa Claus, Santa Claus, you have to give them the flexibility to believe in that and not ship on their dreams even though I is your father shitted on yours.
Speaker 2: So Santa Claus, it's Santa Claus supposed to be a whole like training thing for children in religion, not my house, not long control them to be nice. And you know what I'm saying, Like you know, you know what what Fante was just saying about.
Speaker 1: You know, Okay, what we do in this house is what we believe here, and what people do over there is what they believe there.
Speaker 2: So is it.
Speaker 5: But you know what though, like, let's think, let know for real, man, let's talk about how disturbing the concept of Santa Claus.
Speaker 1: Very I don't think we've ever broken that ship down, Like, dude, and what you do let your kids go to a stranger and.
Speaker 2: Sit on.
Speaker 11: On that note, Ask me, are you saying that nobody who in his room has sat on his lap because.
Speaker 2: You ain't got no picture, You're not I've never seen.
Speaker 14: I was afraid, you're afraid, You're afraid.
Speaker 2: I had my first few nightmares of life. I think at the age of three.
Speaker 1: I dreamt that like Santa Claus is trying to kill me or something like whenever, Like it's weird, Like a lot most of the roots are afraid of clowns.
Speaker 2: I was afraid of Santa Claus. Well there I forgot who said it, either tarik Ing No, no, not afraid.
Speaker 1: Someone said that they couldn't trust someone that couldn't stop smiling. But yeah, no, there's there's I mean, people generally have fear of clowns and stuff. But I'm sorry, I was distracted by it.
Speaker 2: That the new movie from.
Speaker 7: I was just like to remind everybody we started out this show with they don't really drink.
Speaker 2: So I don't, but when I do, I do it to.
Speaker 1: Do it today one hundred okay, good, Yeah, But I was afraid of Santa Claus like by the age of three, so and then by then.
Speaker 2: I mean I kind of knew that my parents were controlling Christmas. I don't know.
Speaker 1: My my Christmases were kind of dope because I would just get a lot of music stay there, like and actually I would buy like my dad's records knowing that I was just going to take them like two days.
Speaker 7: Later for Christmas, and so he wouldn't really have a Christmas Christmas.
Speaker 1: So Christmas of like eighty one of that Gordon Gartrail episode of Not Gordon gra the Stevie Wonder episode eighty five. Yeah, so the geminal Man, I'm gonna tell you. So, I mean between getting sorry anyway, I'm sorry, getting getting that.
Speaker 2: Cassio s K one Christmas, I got one of those as well. One and you're not a beat maker, no curse words, you know. Just I was trying to figure ship ship pussy Pussy.
Speaker 7: I would just hit the demo joined and what I could do.
Speaker 2: I had a beat had, I had a keyboard.
Speaker 1: My mom got me like ninety one and if you put it in demo mode, it played, it played a Rick Astley song, But.
Speaker 2: Are you serious going to give you?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 2: It wasn't. It wasn't. It wasn't never going to give you up. It was together forever, which was never gonna give you up? Pretty much? Yeah, yeah, yeah. So if you say demo, that's the first thing that comes to my mind.
Speaker 7: Is dope, Like damn, it might be refurbished.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's that's amazing.
Speaker 1: Speaking of which, wait for that. For the Rick Astley one, was that the Yamaha version of that keyboard? I think I'm pretty I'm pretty sure it was a Castio keyboard but.
Speaker 2: On it no no yellow. Well okay, because uh uh true, not true? Great Macio revealed to me, Yes, that particular, what what machine is that one?
Speaker 11: This guy is showing a picture of a Castio and for real, I think I just got choked.
Speaker 2: Up because it reminds you of like everything that was like was innocent in your life.
Speaker 1: My point was that Live Rabbit co of Daylight so revealed to me that like a lot of their three feet high and rising samples were used with that, but they would just do it manually.
Speaker 2: Wow. I was amazed that.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I had to cast your escape one and then I upgraded to the Yamaha got It wasn't five, it was one of the It was one of them, but it was a Yamaha joint. They had the same thing, but just longer beat five five seconds of sampling?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 7: Is that why Sean Wayne's name himself sk.
Speaker 2: One on one after public getting keep talking?
Speaker 5: You were a couple of you were you were like just a couple more letters down to alphabet and you are almost there.
Speaker 2: But his name is Sean Sean Wayne. That's kind of where the came from. So close, Margaret, so fucking close. Yes, so far.
Speaker 7: So we're learning here.
Speaker 1: At the risk of asking this question, fran tikeolo here, what was your favorite Christmas of all time?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 5: Man, I guess probably my favorite Christmas of all time was probably when I was Oh my god, man, this was going into I was in college. Actually this was my freshman year of college and I was home and after my first semester, you know, you know, fall semester, you come home for the for the winter, and so that semester that was when I got PlayStation one.
Speaker 2: I got PlayStation What.
Speaker 5: Was your favorite video My favorite video game was Teken, which wasn't as racial charge as that, but but no, but that was probably my favorite one because that was the time where you know, I honestly, man, I thought my mom had just forgot about me. I thought I was just kind of written off, like he's in college, he's good, he's whatever.
Speaker 2: But my mother bought me.
Speaker 5: My mother and the guys you were the time they brought me her, which lay became her husband, bought me a PlayStation one, and so I ended up I would play PlayStation one with my brothers, my younger brothers, we would play Teching at that time. And so then I later took it to Central with me, took it back to college with me, and that was when me and my roommate we got into Resident Evil and I didn't go to class for like a month.
Speaker 2: Now I was going to say, you must have got some Oh my god, Resident Evil. Come on man, like that ship was a movie.
Speaker 5: Ah god, that shit? Oh man, listen, I always recovered. I never I was always a good student. I just you know, I would like say fuck class. But then when it came time to like really be there for like tests and like real shit, I would be there and I would I would ace the test. But uh but yeah, me and my homework, my shot, my man Milk. We would just play Resident Evil all day and have all the nets and our joint in my lt Milt, Milt, Milt. But yeah, my favorite one, man, that was my favorite one at that time.
Speaker 2: Day Bill Milt? What was your I had a grandma named Milt.
Speaker 3: I think what's your favorite holiday moment? My favorite holiday movement. I've been to Alabama every holiday for the past ten years. I got the chills and you said that really, whatever that means, that's where your people's come from. No, that's where my ex wife's people. Because so, Steve, what's your favorite.
Speaker 7: Ye tell us more what you used to do on the how to days?
Speaker 2: Doing well.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to drag a city under the bus like someone in here drags another city under the bus.
Speaker 2: But I'm just saying that Alabama like the trees at the nighttime, like yeah, just oh.
Speaker 1: Man, it's strange, truth strange. Here's the thing though, here's in Alabama. Don't don't don't get it twisted. I mean some of the most friendliest in mind you this is like twenty fifteen, they were some of the friendliest people ever. Or maybe because I was quest love walking down the block like you doing. Yeah, but I'm just saying that walking at nighttime in like Montgomery, Alabama.
Speaker 2: Like they have statues of like.
Speaker 1: The dogs biting like protesters legs, like there's there's the statues.
Speaker 2: No, wait, what city of Montgomery, Lion it's I would say, it's a. It's a.
Speaker 3: It's a different place that I never thought I would spend so much time in, but I did. And now I don't what city, what city outs? God damn, that's racism central.
Speaker 2: St to perfection.
Speaker 5: God hold like your ex laws like that four little girls thing like that happened there. They burned them girls.
Speaker 2: I love how you're blaming me for all the blame that you're my brother, man.
Speaker 5: I love thank you. I'm wrong with you, brother, thank you. Ain't just the dude they talking. I love you because you're my man. I'll fuck with you so the long way, the long way, the.
Speaker 2: Erotic way.
Speaker 1: I funk with him the long way, like he's my man and I'm chilling. All right, So Steve, what's your favorite Christmas song?
Speaker 2: That's it, that's all. Wait a minute, I'll pay bill speak, not my man's sult.
Speaker 4: What was?
Speaker 2: What was? She said? Spending when your in laws in Alabama was some of the best times of your life. I don't know.
Speaker 3: It was a time, I think the first time that I had kids, and and because I didn't celebrate Christmas my whole life, and so when I finally got to do it with my kids, they were so fucking into it.
Speaker 2: And I love that fact. There you go. That was fun.
Speaker 3: And now it's the first Christmas I've had not in Alabama ever this year. So you get to see them move kids. Yeah, okay, and I'll get a Christmas tree.
Speaker 2: I don't know the situation that is such a divorce question. No, don't. Are they still excited about Christmas? Yes? And what do they want? Well, I know you're getting them instruments. Do they want that?
Speaker 3: You have two girls that might have a little bit to do with me. They my kids like a very certain thing of cartoons and things that they're very excited about. Dresses and yeah, it comes on.
Speaker 2: Now do they are wet?
Speaker 3: Thing?
Speaker 10: Man?
Speaker 2: That ship is over. It's over. Your kids want that's over?
Speaker 5: That That was that The race car tracks was hot for my boys when they was like six or seven. After that, everything is all elect trying to say your Xbox.
Speaker 7: Game sneaks to your boy's oldest Oh my god.
Speaker 2: They want sneaks.
Speaker 5: My oldest son is like like obsessed about sneakers, and I'm just like, dude, you don't understand.
Speaker 2: You ain't got no job like that.
Speaker 5: Such a poor people obsession, you know what I mean, And like, yeah, it's it's bad. I had to break him up in seventh grade because he was running a scam at school with the sneakers.
Speaker 2: Did that a little bit?
Speaker 5: Oh man, Okay, yeah, I'll break it down. Okay, So listen, this is what this is what had. This is what went down because for my man's on paid bill because I love him. All right, listen closed fully, I'm fully alert. Okay, I'm alert, nigga, I'm read alert. A mirror is just like just let Jesus take the wheel. This is the lesson I had to teach my kid, my old my oldest son, my oldest son, okay, about sneakers.
Speaker 2: Okay, so my son was sneakers, I said, listen.
Speaker 5: So one day my son, I was like, listen, I know you're in the sneakers and like if you get a good report card, will lace you up. So he came home with like a good report card, like one semester. This is seventh grade. And so I laced him with a pair. My mom laced him with a pair. His grandma laced in the pair. Mom lace with a pair Christmas for Christmas. Yes, brother, that's happen. It's like four pairs of shoes. That's like four pairs of shoes. But again, you know when your parents are together, that kind of splits everything in half.
Speaker 2: So it works to your advantage, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Like, when it's not just one that's got Christmas, No, No, he got I got what I got him something else. I think I got him a couple of Xbox games at Christmas too. But anyway, but anyway, so anyways, he gets all these sneakers. So one day we're driving in the car and I'm like, and he's like, count money. I was going to buy my winter coat. I was going to buy him a winter coat. And I said, okay, I said, well he's counting money. I said, where you getting money from? Oh, Dad, Well, I just I just found five dollars while I was walking for school. I'm like, nigga, you're lying. That's a fucking lie. Where'd you get the money from? I mean, it's not like I'm selling anything. What he said, I didn't say what you're selling nothing. So finally he confessed to me. He says, Dad, I've been renting my shoes.
Speaker 2: Wow, so here's a renting episode everything. So here's yo, I bullshit him and not I bullshit you. Not you can do this. So this is what he thinks, he says. He says, Okay, he says, well, Daddy says, listen, he said, a lot of kids at school, they like my shoes. So what I do is I rent them to him for five dollars a day. And you know that's how I make my money.
Speaker 7: It's brilliant.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 1: He's a fucking idiot. But let's dude, but no, no, no, let me break it down. Let me let me, let me get the fish story.
Speaker 2: Okay. So I said, okay, you've been renting your shoes. He said yeah. I said, okay, Well thanks for having the truth.
Speaker 5: By this time, man, I'm in the car, my face like you could fry fucking the egg on the side of my face. Dog, I'm a hot nigga. I'm hot, so hot, so hot. I'm hot like another nigga. So dude, so I get into the fucking crib and I said listen. I said, okay, here's what I want you to do. Man, I said, listen, I want you to go upstairs and get me all your shoes. Take this plastic bag and get me.
Speaker 2: All your shoes. And he's just looking shook.
Speaker 5: So he goes upstairs and gets all the shoes and he brings them downstairs. And I said, listen, what's your favorite pair of shoes?
Speaker 2: And he just is quiet. He said, well, I like these Jordan Foards.
Speaker 5: I said, okay. I said, well, you ain't keeping these fours. I'm gonna give you these Adidas.
Speaker 2: You keep these. You got one pair of shoes. I said, all right, son, I said, well listen, let me break it down like this. This is what's happening. I said.
Speaker 5: You have been running a business without proper business licensing. I said, whenever you want to run a business in wherever you are, you have to get proper licensing from the state. Nigga, and I am the state, and you do not get proper license from me. So I'm shutting your business down, I said. Now also, I said, I also, no, as I said, I said, it's brilliant. No, I said, listen, I said I also, I said, you have been running a business and you have not been reporting your income from this business. I said, so when that happens, what the federal government does. They do what is known as seizing your asset. I said, so all of your shoes I'm about to take and keep until we figure out exactly how much money you owe me.
Speaker 2: I said, so we're keeping all that. That's me, Brad. Why are you hating an enterprising young man?
Speaker 11: Yo?
Speaker 1: No, no, it's no yo. Let me finish. Y'all don't understand. So listen, I said, listen. I said, so give me. I said, so you give me that. I said, how much money you got? He said, I got like twenty seven dollars. I said, run that, nigga.
Speaker 2: So he gave me. So I took. I took, you swing seven dollars. So I said, you swing seven dollars and I was like, okay, run that ship. So he gave me swing seven dollars. I said, so listen, what we're gonna do?
Speaker 5: I said, So, now from move forward, you got one pair of shoes that you're gonna use for the rest of school until we figure out this arrangement of how much you owe, how much you made, and how much you haven't paid on.
Speaker 2: So he's just looking confused and mad, and I am too, So okay.
Speaker 5: So a couple of weeks later he comes back to me and we're talking about a different subject. He wanted to play. He wanted to play gt A on ps on on on Xbox. You want to play Grand Theft Auto, which is like a game in which you can pick up hookers and fuck him and do all kinds of.
Speaker 2: At this time, he's like twelve, ok so you know what I mean. So he was like, well, Dad, I want to play.
Speaker 1: This game, and I don't understand why you want to let me play it, and I don't understand why you took my shoes whatever.
Speaker 2: I said, Okay, Well let's talk about it. I said. Okay.
Speaker 5: I said, well, someone, let me break it down like this. I said, listen, I said, so what happens. Let me ask you a question. I said, what happens when someone takes your shoes. Let's say someone takes your shoes and they gonna stump in a mud puddle and then they bring them back to you.
Speaker 2: What do you do? He says, Oh, well, I mean I just clean them off.
Speaker 5: I said, okay, so another niggas gonna ruin your shoes, fuck them up, and you gonna clean them off. I said, how do you think that's gonna make you look? To everybody else out in the world? How does that how do you think that's gonna look? What does that say about you as a person. Someone can just take your shit to file it and then you gonna clean it up.
Speaker 2: And he was quiet.
Speaker 5: I said, okay, you know what. I said, Well, let me ask you another question. I said, I ask you no question. I said, so oh, I forgot to leave this out. So he came home with a new pair of shoes. One day he had a came home with a new pair of Jordan threes and he was like, yeah, Dad, I bought these from my friend for like fifteen dollars.
Speaker 1: I said, nigga, you bought these shoes for fifteen dollars. Yeah, I said, And I didn't say nothing.
Speaker 5: I said, okay, so lady on, I said, okay, so Peena, I said, was man, what if you out at the school bus and like a dude, run up on you, like, hey, man, then my brother's shoes, then my brother shoes take them shit.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna beat your ass? What do you do? He said, Well, I would probably run.
Speaker 5: I said, okay, I'm gonna pretend you didn't say that, because like running like you sign a real bitch right now, don't. I'm gonna just act like you didn't say that. I said, let's okay, I'm you didn't say that. I said, well, what would you do? He said, Well, I would go and probably tell a teacher. I said, oh, so you're gonna snitch now.
Speaker 2: You snitching. That's what's hot in the streets. We snitching. That's what you're doing, you snitching? He said. Okay.
Speaker 5: He said, okay, well, okay, Well I will probably come and tell you. I said, oh, is you gonna come and tell me? Because I'm the muscle of your operation.
Speaker 1: I'm the goon and I'm just gonna beat motherfuckers down, and that's just what the fuck I do, right, you gonna call me?
Speaker 2: So he was quiet.
Speaker 5: I said, listen, man, here's what lesson I want you to understand. I said, brother shoes, them shoes sell retail at bet and I'm being nice them shit sell at retail for one hundred and forty dollars, that's being nice, I said, And he sold them to you for fifteen. What nigga, you know, is gonna take one hundred and twenty five dollars loss on shoes just to sell them to you?
Speaker 2: Why? Because they your friend? Fuck?
Speaker 5: No, I said, listen, man, if somebody's selling something to you at that much of a loss, it ain't theirs to fucking sell. I said, So more than likely it's either they fucking stole them from somebody else or they, you know, took him.
Speaker 2: I said.
Speaker 5: Nigga wants to stop a nigga from wrinting your shoes for five and then sell them to another nigga for fifteen?
Speaker 7: Wow?
Speaker 2: What's to stop them from doing that? And he was just quiet? I said, listen man, I said, listen, I want you to understand something. This is what I want you to understand.
Speaker 5: It's great that you are an enterprising young businessman. You got it, honest. You know what I'm saying because I'm the same way.
Speaker 1: I said, But listen, school is not the place to run a business because eventually you're gonna run into a conflict that you're gonna have to handle that.
Speaker 2: It's gonna fuck up you being in school.
Speaker 5: I said, so, then when all the ship shakes out and a nigga either bring your ship back fucked up or what just short you some money whatever, you're gonna get into a fight or whatever. Now you're in the prinsonal's office. And now you're in the prinsional's office and they're like, okay, well what happened? And they find out you running this shoe. I said, so, nigga, So you're running what is known that's rico nigga. That is a continuing criminal enterprise. That is that you are running a sneaker racket illegally. I said, so, now your ass is get spelled from god damn school.
Speaker 7: You are scaring the ship out of there quite room.
Speaker 5: No, he's fucking I said, listen, you're running a continuing criminal enterprise.
Speaker 2: I said, so, now your ass is kicked out of school over five dollars.
Speaker 1: Dang yoan a white holiday song.
Speaker 2: This is John Cooper mellen Camps. I saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus.
Speaker 8: You try that.
Speaker 2: That was your best segue ever ever. You know what I mean? White Christmas soung mom need to last time.
Speaker 1: Ladies and gentlemen in an effort to ensure that I have a job with this company. In twenty seventeen, that was Indiana Zone John Cougar Mellencamp saying, I saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus.
Speaker 2: I just I had to. I mean, your storytelling skills, Fante is just off the chain. At first. At first, I was like, I was like, why are you hating on your son? I was proud of him for doing that.
Speaker 1: But then once you showed us the errors in our way in the perils of street hustling.
Speaker 7: Yo, you're a real daddy.
Speaker 2: He didn't see it, but these are the kind of conversations I have to have.
Speaker 7: You like a real dad. I just don't know what the average daddy.
Speaker 1: Cause in your head you're like, you do this with sneakers now, then to be we later, nigga, come on, oh day, I didn't even see that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's gonna be cracked, you know, in three years.
Speaker 11: But can we still kind of nurture his business acumen because it is there, absolutely so.
Speaker 2: So so the counter that what you're saying, like what I told him, I said, listen, I.
Speaker 7: Was great because I did I did, like radio for a long time.
Speaker 2: We were having a problem.
Speaker 5: We were having a problem and we were talking, and you know, he was having a problem with his grades around this time, and so I told him, I was just like, listen, man, he had problem with his grades, and then he had problem with with the girls because he's like, you know, he's at today when he was kind of getting in the girls at the time.
Speaker 2: And so I said, listen, man, you imagine Grandpa ticke a little. I don't know, we can't do that trying to give him the knowledge. Man. So I just told him straight up, this was like eighth grade.
Speaker 1: And I was just like, listen, man, I said, listen, the reason why you're great your your bitches is what you watch it because your grades is what you watch it.
Speaker 7: Is that really?
Speaker 2: I was like, listen, I break it up, I said, listens. I'm sure. I said no, I said, listen. This is why.
Speaker 5: This is how I broke it down to him. I said, look, man, I said, listen. I said, look man, I said, you remember we went to see Planet of the Apes. You know what I'm saying. And he was like, so we didn't see don Planet of the Apes. He said, yeah, that shit was lit, he said, I remember.
Speaker 1: I was like, yeah, man, you remember, I said, listen, I said, you remember what happened when Caesar, You know, when Caesar got sucked up.
Speaker 5: And then his son came and was like, Dad, we need you to come back. Come back, Dad, we need you. And he was like, no, son, I can't come back. Week I can't. I can't and he was like, no, Dad, we need you to come back. Really, Cob was coming. He's here and he fucking up for everybody.
Speaker 2: We need you.
Speaker 5: And I said, remember what did Caesar? What did Caesar tell his son? I said, nig If you don't remember, he said, he said, no, I can't come back, son. Ape seek strongest branch. APE seeks strongest branch.
Speaker 1: I said, so listen, I said, you remember nothing else I told you tonight about women, about relationships, about game. I said, Nigga, you remember this, ape seak strongest branch. A woman is always going to want to seek the strongest branch that she can reach of. Once she feels that your branch is given, if it's weak, if it's bending, she's off to the next fucking branch. So what does that mean for you? That means you gotta be the strongest branch that you can be, not for her.
Speaker 8: Fuck her.
Speaker 2: You gotta be the strongest branch for you. I was there. You got to be the strongest branch for you. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: For you. I said, So, all these problems you haven't in school and all that, I said, listen with the girls whatever I said. Listen, if you focus on your schoolwork and be the best branch you can be doing what you gotta beat, the best branch, the best rural jury, best branch, unique New York, all that shit new York.
Speaker 5: So if you be all of that, the woman is gonna take care of herself. The man that is always on his mission doing what he got to do. Nigga, you ain't ever gonna have no woman problems you you You ain't you gonna be cool. But you gotta be on your mission. That's the number one thing in your life is your mission. It ain't her, It's the mission.
Speaker 2: A woman wants. A man just want a mission. I said, So you showing up half assed.
Speaker 1: The classes, sucking up, felling grades and ship, I said, nigga, that's why you you wish you washy, That's why your bitches is wishy washing A.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's let's yeah, I'm sorry you're like the profit. Yeah, okay, good.
Speaker 1: I feel as though this has been an amazing lesson, life lesson. It's life lessons with Tila.
Speaker 5: Now this is but these are kind of conversations I had to he with my kids, man, like I have to have them kind of conversation to wait to.
Speaker 7: See them as men. They should be really dope men.
Speaker 2: I hope.
Speaker 5: So, I mean, I hope. So you know it's fifty to fifty. You know, they could be great men. They could be scammers, nigga, I don't know, but now, I mean, you just never know. It's that part of your kids that you can't control.
Speaker 7: I don't know about that life.
Speaker 2: It's yo, It's it's crazy.
Speaker 5: So now, but those comps that have my kids and so after I explained it to him like that, then he kind of got it. And you know, he's been doing good shots all of a sudden, he got a three point zero's first semester. It's freshman year in high school, right, so you know, big umps to him. I love him, I'm proud of him, and uh yeah, man, we just want to keep them them in some going. But you know, I just have to keep explaining to them the things in your life right now that are important. These people that you put so much stock in three years, you're not gonna care about none of these motherfuckers. Like high school is the most fleeting shit ever, you know what I mean. So, but it's hard, it doesn't it feels so important. So back to Christmas. So, yeah, my count's son is a sneaker head, and that was what I saw, what we was talking, that's what that's.
Speaker 2: How we get ouround. My son was nigger head.
Speaker 5: So I'm trying to explain to him that like all the kids in life right now that like had the hottest, like seventh or eighth grade that had the hottest the new jay's and the new disk and the hot new disk.
Speaker 2: I said, son, I didn't you understand something. This is the peak of their lives.
Speaker 5: All the niggas I went to school with that had the hot, new, new new shit nigga, their lives never advanced past that.
Speaker 2: That was it. Twenty years later, the nigga the cool kid.
Speaker 1: Twenty years later, niggas is still fucking talking about yo.
Speaker 2: Nigga. You remember first day of seventh grade nigga. I had that Jodan's nigga.
Speaker 7: Yo sho, No, I don't remember.
Speaker 2: That because I lived the life that was fulfilling.
Speaker 11: Yo. Shout out to my flight to the mommy that used to go to Korea and get me to fake shit all my church Jo Decini and my mcm bags.
Speaker 7: You know what I'm saying. And I was proud. I was proud that it was fake. I was like, y'all really spending all that money.
Speaker 2: On that ship.
Speaker 7: That's crazy?
Speaker 2: One am I great? I wish I could tell this story. I tell it you. I think I could tell this story. All right.
Speaker 1: We uh, we were doing a song with Scott Storch once is during the Tipping Point season that Bill so Lovingly is Fine.
Speaker 2: Was my favorite song off Tipping Point. I didn't guns are drawn banging John alight anyway?
Speaker 7: All right, sorry.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Right, but so you know, two thousand and four, Kanye had a lot of us messed up and kind of like, you know, doing high end fashion shopping or whatever. And so there's a point where our beloved uh shout out to Bert Carl Jenkins aka Dice, were all Dice Rid Dice, Dice very well like he is. I'm certain that even DICE's shoes right now costs more than like what my apartment did. Yeah, like Dice, yeah, Dice or Ostrich, you know whatever, like he's rocking some next shit. Anyway, Scott Storch, who you know at the time, was really swimming and a lot of money happen to have, like a Louis bag. Uh, sitting in the studio room and Scott said something that Dice like running my Louis bag real quick and give me da da da da da. So Dice went over and he kind of noticed that, oh, wait a minute, this is a knockoff Louie bag.
Speaker 2: Now DICE's head it was like, you know, Dice, I mean Scott was making.
Speaker 1: Big giant nine figures that year, and he's like, yo, like you know, why are you walking around this fake Louis.
Speaker 2: Back Like you just got storage you have all the money in the world. And Scott laughed so hard.
Speaker 1: He's like, wait, that's a real Louis back you're holding Dice, Like DICE's back was really good, and he was like, that's a real Louis bag you have.
Speaker 2: Dice, I's like, yeah, my bag is real and every like Scott laughs so hard, like dog, why would you pay that much money? Like I have the same Kid Rock, yes exactly.
Speaker 11: So you know I met the kid Rock because you know how kid rocks that he purposely rocks like fake stuff because what's why would you be wearing all that?
Speaker 5: But that's rich nigga shit though, you can do that as a rich nigga because people assume if you're rich and you rocking knock off shit, they as soon it's real, you know what I'm saying. But like you know, if you're broke nigga, you rock knockoff ship, then you look even more broke, you know what I.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's fucked up. Actually, yep, that's funny you said that. I mean the few times that I've chilled with.
Speaker 1: Kid Rock, Bob Bob, he used to really listly. I mean his first named basis with kid Rock. It was like twenty years I've noticed dude with the Bob the bang, the bang, Like it's kind of funny to be like, you do know, No, it's just kind of funny that kid Rock has an actual name and it's Bob Bob.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, I mean his first album was a rap album. I mean, you know, Bob well, I mean rap in quotation marks.
Speaker 1: But anyway, yeah, like he he just never got the whole like why are you guys wearing Louis Vatan and Gucci stuff?
Speaker 2: He used to always tease us and point at our shoes and stuff.
Speaker 5: But that's the thing though, man, Like I remember I read a quote from from Mark Zuckerberg and he was like talking about how he wears the same thing every day. Yep, because gives him one less thing to think about. I mean, I'm working towards that. I'm the same way. I mean, I'm sure. I mean we've been doing Court Supreme for a while now. All y'all have been seeing me, were like, it's like four things, four outfits that I have in my whole arsenal shirt.
Speaker 7: We know, Gamble still drive a Honda Cord so gambled like Honda.
Speaker 11: Yeah, but he still he does not drive a fancy car school I know, but he drives a Honda.
Speaker 2: He owned schools because he drives a Honda. Court Well, he.
Speaker 7: Owned schools because you know, I ain't nobody looking at their contract.
Speaker 2: The blame it on the Can we play that some background Christmas music? I gotta say, michelbyas you're leaving us.
Speaker 7: Where are you going?
Speaker 2: Going to Andy Bravo's show, whatever, You're going.
Speaker 7: To watch What Happens Live? What are you going to do there?
Speaker 2: Yo? He is such a uh watch what Happens Live expert.
Speaker 7: I love that you want to sit in the audience.
Speaker 6: I'm not an expert. It's my girl's birthday tonight. She's an expert.
Speaker 2: I didn't know because just put on the Christmas.
Speaker 7: Please put on let me get us right, girl a Birthdays and then.
Speaker 2: With Dreda I will play.
Speaker 7: It's interesting.
Speaker 2: Anyway, this is so interesting.
Speaker 7: So how long have you been not single?
Speaker 2: So? I want to wish him merry Christmas and a happy New Year brought up? Let him, let him do this thing.
Speaker 6: So I want to wish her happy, happy Christmas and happy Honkah, Happy Kwanza, Happy New Year to everybody. I like to thank Electric Lady for letting us be here this year and hopefully next year. Phil Jolly, Phil Jolly's the engineer in there.
Speaker 2: I feel.
Speaker 6: Phil, feel that Seth Paris is assisting in there.
Speaker 2: Hey Seth, Hey, it's Seth. I think we're coming to get evicted. Here's Ashley. Everybody, Happy birthday? Look a birthday as that poor girl birthday.
Speaker 1: When you leave, because happy birthday. We wish your happy birthday and we hope you leave it in tonight.
Speaker 2: You can't. Oh my God, forgive us. We're quite drunk, as would you like some duce?
Speaker 7: Do you know what you know?
Speaker 2: Do you know.
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: We don't know.
Speaker 1: Don't want draggon off? Oh goddamn, focused really on what any of these episode done until we can leave.
Speaker 2: Okay, So.
Speaker 1: Give us what you're grateful for for Christmas? Yo, Man, I'm grateful for life. I'm greful, I said grateful, grateful, but what you're grateful for? Man, Listen, we could be humble with thanksgiving, thanksgiving that Christmas.
Speaker 2: This is Christmas.
Speaker 5: Okay, listen, listen, Okay, real real ship. Okay, listen. I'm thankful for my life. I'm thankful for being in the presence of greatness. You know what I'm saying, For being a part of Team Supreme and being able to help people's lives.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying as they get through their day at work. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: I've had so many people hit me on Twitter and Instagram, everything saying listen to the show. And that like, yo, man, your show helps me get through my day work. You know what I'm saying, thank you for doing what you do. And so man, listen, I'm thankful for life and thankful for my family. I'm thankful for my lady. I'm thankful for my kids for keeping me grounded. And uh, you know, unlike most people or a lot of people that I'm seeing, you know, they're just all dooming gloom under this Trump presidency that were they were about to be in twenty seventeen.
Speaker 2: Man, I think that if nothing else, this.
Speaker 5: Would be the year that black people will realize all we got is us, know what I'm saying, right, all we got is us, you know what I mean? And so for me, I'm just like, listen, man, no matter who they was gonna put in all this wether it's gonna be Clinton, Hillary, fucking Ron, Paul Nigga, julianni Got, Damn rand Paul whoever, damn Jamaine Greasy, you know what I mean, who at DoD New York and they put in office, I was gonna still have to get up every morning and figure out How'm gonna make it happen for me and mine? You know what, I mean and so so man. So you know whatever, I know this this election has a lot of people on their edge and and nervous. But you know, at the end of the day, all I would just say is, look, listen, man, all we ever had was each other.
Speaker 2: All we have had was us. And you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: The people that ride with you, the people that fuck with you, white, Black, Jewish, Buddhist, whoever, the fuck, the people that in your life that are legitimately riding for you.
Speaker 2: All y'all can do is support each other, ride for each other, and just get through this ship.
Speaker 11: Man.
Speaker 2: We're gonna be all right, you know what I mean. It ain't all.
Speaker 5: Doomsday and gloom and we all done and oh my god, fuck that we still got life.
Speaker 2: We're still here. We can still fucking make it, dude. So that's one man.
Speaker 5: I'm thankful for life, and I'm thinking for every day another chance to be a better man than I was today before.
Speaker 2: Okay, Uh, I'm paid, bill, I mean.
Speaker 3: I payful for friends, man, my kids and friends. I never thought that i'd be in this position, and a fucking it's fantastic. M You got to know, I love everybody in this room.
Speaker 2: Man, I really do.
Speaker 7: I'm thankful.
Speaker 11: I'm thankful that you know, last year I was unemployed and my unemployment had just ran out, and today I am here with you talented fellows, and really you are a group of talented fellows. I don't say it a lot. I don't like to toot your horn, but since the holidays, I will say this. I tell my friends all the time it is nice to be in a room full of greatness. And I mean you too, Bill, Yes, and let me say this too for you.
Speaker 5: Like I always thought when we first started doing this that we needed a woman and I could not, I coulnot ask for a better woman.
Speaker 9: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: We've known each other a long time, we go way back, and you know, man, seriously, you know I love you as a sister, as a friend, and you know you always got me for whatever you need.
Speaker 2: For life, you know what I mean? My work wife. All that not not sperm, because I'm snipped and it is over so you know.
Speaker 7: But it's swimmers.
Speaker 2: But if you need plasma, he's got plenty. I got plenty of plasma for you. No sperm, but I got plasma. Bill, What give us thoughts? Give us some final thoughts on Christmas. I know you're a grinch, bro, but you know I'm not a grin. Stop trying to know this Oscar, Oscar, this ship. You're so boss Bil, you ain't no Oscar.
Speaker 6: His final last words the Beach Boys Christmas album. That whole album is awesome.
Speaker 5: But no, I understand you more than now than I ever had. Boss Bill, I don't dead ass.
Speaker 2: Bill, Yo. Me and Boss Bill are so much alike it's scary.
Speaker 5: I'm just like this ship he be saying, it's it's scary because it's so much alike. And that was, like, I think, a big reason why we did go and your radio like we just got each other on an intrinsic level.
Speaker 2: So no, he's not the grinch. He's just a staunch realist. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I have high expectations of everyone. That's lower than expectations. No, No, that's okay, what you I was never told what to talk about. I was just asked for some final thoughts, so I just started talking. So what what do you want me to talk about? Never mind final final thoughts? Thankful ship?
Speaker 2: Okay? What am I thankful for? I'm thankful that this radio show something nice Okay.
Speaker 1: I'm thankful that this radio show exists, because if this radio show didn't exist, I'd probably be living in Indiana and in a city that is actually on the list that I saw on the internet for having high Ku Klux plan activity. It's also the same Cocomo, Indiana where I grew up. Cocame talk about the plan about to have a rally in, and I'm just like, dude, you live there. Sometimes I lived there.
Speaker 2: But I love it.
Speaker 5: I love it, Christmas, I love it. But plaim let's talk like the fucking BlackBerry of racist. You niggas still like you niggas are still marching and putting on It's like, no, Like, don't you know racism has evolved past that, real races, red lightning school districts, you know what I mean? Like, y'all niggas still marching and like, what the fuck are you doing? Y'all niggas still using the track ball?
Speaker 2: Joy to the world, George to the world. All right, listen, what's the best thing you've ever said? The world? All Right?
Speaker 1: I'm thankful for the fact that I'm still here on this earth right now. I'm thankful to the fact that I was able to be on the earth at the same time as all of you people.
Speaker 5: You boss bill Yo, I mean we've been along, We've been we have a long I love you. Okay, can wrap it up. Finally, Yeah, I talk to us, boss. I'm thankful that I'm also waiting. I'm also thankful that Panda is not going to cancel us because of this episode.
Speaker 2: Shout out to Scott ya yo. I want to Scott ya Yo. Shout Scott my brother, my.
Speaker 1: Man, Man's were going to We're going to the to the Brazilian spot right after this. I'll get some lomoentitled We're gonna get some fucking We're gonna get all that ship.
Speaker 2: Son.
Speaker 1: Listen, I gotta listen. All I can say August say is is on behalf of the Team Supreme. I'm sorry everything that they said. And in addition, Scott, yeah, yo, boss Billings on the this show.
Speaker 8: What's up?
Speaker 1: Ya yo?
Speaker 7: Are you gonna Are you gonna tell us you love us? Are you gonna say I love you?
Speaker 2: I gave you all a lot of money for Christmas? I love you. No, I'm mere No.
Speaker 5: I mean this brother, I mean it's for real man, and I'm Trump, So you know I mean, it's for real dressing, so you know it's real.
Speaker 1: No, I'm drunk, you know it's really what's talking to the angels like, Oh no, no, I'm mere.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 5: You were from the front, from the jump. You have been the biggest, one of the biggest supporters of my group, of my career. You have always like stood by me, you know what I'm saying, and supported me and all that ship. And I mean this, man, you do a lot for a lot of people who may not always say this. And I really want to say this, brother, I love you, man, like seriously. I know you don't that whole emotions thing.
Speaker 2: You don't do real re but.
Speaker 5: But like listen, but no, dog, I still have as a man of you can put the drum sticks down tonight and I would still love you.
Speaker 2: You good for a plate in my house anytime, My nig.
Speaker 1: Of the Drunken Team Supreme, All of You, What's Love? Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio. This classic episode was produced by the team at Pandora. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.