Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey you welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind.
Speaker 3: My name is Robert Land, and I'm Joe McCormick.
Speaker 2: This is the third episode and what I believe is going to be a four part series about dream mystique, dream culture. We're going to have one more episode that is going to focus on Japanese dream.
Speaker 3: Culture and finally get to that monster that is the reason we started looking at this.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, we've been chasing after that monster and ultimately we will chase it across the sea and discuss its form and function. In this one, we're going to get more properly into the main focus of the Dreaming Mind of The End of the Main World by Lynn A. Struve, which we've been referring to in these episodes. This was published in twenty nineteen by the University of Hawaii Press. Naturally, we're not going to cover everything in that but rather, you know, highlight some of the key points, some interesting bits that stand out and leave you to explore the book yourself if you want to go deeper in on it.
Speaker 3: But in the.
Speaker 2: Previous episodes two episodes, we we mostly discussed other dream cultures from around the world highlighted lighted by Stroove as being sort of hot beds of focus on the potential of dreams to impact our daily lives.
Speaker 3: Yeah, particularly times and places when a lot of dream writing was produced. A lot of literature that still comes down to us, whether that's individual like from journals and diaries and letters and stuff, or you know, published works that concern dreams and often invest kind of some significance beyond just psychological curiosity in dreams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because there's always going to be some sort of dream culture in play. There's going to be you know, dream or are a reality among all us, you know, I mean, it's just it's a human, universal, human experience. We're going to have these strange visions, mundane visions, comforting visions, disturbing visions, or traumatizing visions come to us in the night. It is the you know, we talk so much, you know, on the show, but in the culture in general about you know, visions brought on by things that are less every day you know that be it some sort of a you know, peculiar encounter or the use of some sort of substance that creates a vision. But the thing about dreams is the dreams open up the door to visions pretty much every night, like it's just with with regular frequency, and something is always going to be made of that in a given culture. But these are those periods of times where they really went all in, especially among like the the literary, you know, the the upper echeligne of the like the theological branch of a given culture.
Speaker 3: Now, in the introduction to Struve's book about the dream arc in the End of the Ming Dynasty in China, she does talk about how, basically like any time and place she has examined, there seems to be a trichotomy of explanations for dreams. There's always sort of in the mix, a way of saying, well, that dream is just sort of a natural phenomenon. Maybe it's a result of you digesting a bit of mustard or cheese. There is a way of saying that the dream is given to you by a demonic force or bad spiritual entity. And there's a way of saying that a dream is given to you by a heavenly force or it's some kind of inspiration, it's a positive supernatural gift, and that kind of does permeate. You can find those three explanations all around the world at basically all times in places.
Speaker 2: Yeah, God, devil or potato, and I guess at times that you know, you may lean more towards one of the other, though I guess seems to be the case that you know, all three are going to be in play to some degree, because I mean, how all in can you go on say the devil or evil spirit understanding of dreams without having to sort of release the pressure a little bit and saying, you know, not all of these are the devil, some of these are just a potato, and you know, maybe some of these are actually useful as well. Now, one thing I wanted to touch on here at the start is coming back to something we discussed towards the end of the last episode, is the idea that when you have a given culture that really like opens the gates on dreaming, that that says, in one way or another, dreams matter, Dreams are important, and we all have access to them. You know this, this can open the floodgate, and this can perhaps require some individuals to sort of move in and individuals and positions of power, et cetera to sort of say, well, let's let's reconsider that or let's let's maybe think about what this particular dream means. And for the main candidate here would be anytime dreams are interpreted as being the will or revelations of a God, or God's dreams as revelations of the future.
Speaker 3: The main context in which this came up was our discussion of the role of dreams in early Quakerism, where a lot of meetings of the religious Society of Friends and publications by this fledgling religious group would discuss dreams people had as prophetic revelations from God. But of course that gives any individual person a lot of power and authority to say like, oh, I had a dream. This might be from God, and the dream could say anything. It might say something really destabilizing to your social group, or it might give a kind of really destabilizing political exhortation, maybe we need to do something that could get us into trouble with the authorities. So yeah, you had to have a kind of dream police, as it were, Like leaders of the early Quakers ended up kind of steering dream interpretation and selective publication of dreams to rock the boat less essentially, to to be like, oh, let's not let's not do anything too crazy. Now, how about we just interpret these dreams as you know, applying to individual moral behavior rather than having any kind of radical, broader social or political implications.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so there are There are two examples from from Chinese history and Chinese considerations of dream that I want to share here from from her book that tie into this. The first is an example that far precedes the Ning dynasty. Struve shares an account of one Zao xi Lang, a disciple of the great polymath Tao hong Jing of the fifth and sixth centuries BCE. So hong Jing insisted that most of his disciples visions. This is the man that had various visions and would write about these visions. We're waking visions. These were visions he's having during the day, you know, the kind of thing that we might think of as being brought on by like meditation or something of that nature. But Zao's own dream records, it seems, are just increasingly dream focused if you look at them in chronological order, until all of his alleged visitations with Dallas deities are conducted via dream as opposed to waking visions of one sort or another, and he ultimately believes himself summoned to the celestial realm, so he intentionally overdoses on poison in order to obey those summons. So ultimately kind of a haunting tale, but one of these where you can see like this push and pull, the one individual pulled strongly into the dream visions, and this kind of attempted course correction, either course correction or or some attempt to sort of alter the account a little bit and say, well, you know, actually they weren't all dream visions. Most of them were or are waking visions, and those are ultimately more important. And this will become essential when we talk a little bit more about this idea of what dreams represent and what the waking world represents in sort of the larger Chinese cosmology. Now, she also shares an interesting situation concerning a prominent Jesuit missionary to China by the name of Guglio Alini who lived fifteen eighty two through sixteen forty nine, and this individual enacted a strict policy of rationalistic dream and sleep interpretation among Christian followers in China at the time. In other words, the idea was no divine dreams even for the devout, and one reason for this would seem to be that the people of maritime Fujan Province were said to have a strong zeal for the power of dream, very strong dream culture, and that this particular missionary had to contend with quote, a virtual cult of sainthood concerning the dream accounts of a convert to Christianity named zang Shi. It would seem that Jesuit records of this time insisted that these dreams occurred during periods of ill health, to further push them aside into that dismissable realm of dreams as byproduct or residue, the potato realm, as opposed to the divine realm. Though of course this is of course again a Jesuit missionary. So this is an outsider with an outside faith that has been introduced into China. It's contending like a with a local indigenous dream culture.
Speaker 3: Well right, yeah, So as a Catholic missionary, he would want to be presenting a sort of a stable theology to people. It's like, this is what comes from the Bible and from the Church, and you can't like change anything by having a dream and getting a new revelation from God. It's all already here for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, obviously, the Catholic Church is kind of like the poster child of top down religion, top down theology, and historically they have not reacted well to new revelations among the lower tiers. Now, to move on to the Ming Dynasty period, the late Ming Dynasty period in particular, that's the main focus of the book, it's probably necessary to add just a little historical context. So the Ming Dynasty was an imperial dynasty of China ruled by the Han people. They had overthrown the Mongol led Yuan dynasty in thirteen sixty eight and would ultimately succumb to the Manchu led Qing dynasty in sixteen forty four. The Qing Dynasty would be the last imperial dynasty of China. And so Struve is dealing mostly with the Late Ming Empire, this period that she describes as a time of disintegration, the empires in decline, it's threatened and ultimately overthrown by outsiders. And then also she's dealing with the immediate period thereafter, the early Qing dynasty, in which you have all of these people who have the you know, the Han people within this dynasty who have gone through all this change and are dealing at times with the trauma all of that change. And incidentally, she also gets we're not gonna have time to get into any of this, but she has a number of mentions of the writings of pousong Ling, who wrote the Strange Tales from the Chinese studio. He's born shortly after the fall of the Ming dynasty in that period of transition. So if you're interested in pusong Ling, this is also a book we're picking up.
Speaker 3: Referenced frequently on this show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pusong Ling a lot of weird tales he shares concerning everything from ghosts and trolls and goblins to you know, at times just kind of there's more than one sort of body story thrown in there as well. Now, other key factors during this time period, according to Struve, she says, there is a trend toward moral ethical subjectivity in spiritual exploration. There was a mounting dysfunctionality of the state system in political culture, which meant that you had a lot of individuals that would you know, otherwise have been focusing their energy on advancing themselves and applying themselves in official state positions, but they're unable to so they're left to engage personal projects, they're left to indulge inward gazing in this pursuit of dream and fed by all of this, there was also a general questioning of the rationalism and emotional control that was part of sort of the dominant mean philosophy and politics up to that point. And just in general again the line of one dynasty and the pending emergence of a new dynasty, there's this growing sense of a loss of control for many, she says, a sense of uncertainty that leads to an increased focus on cosmic answers and inward reflections, both of which, as we've been discussing, are sort of universally sometimes sought out through the world of dreams, and this is very much part of dream culture in China of the day as well. Now Streff discusses the legacy of Chinese dream interpretation at length, going back well before this period, of course, into shamanistic traditions of old, similar to some of what we discussed concerning the Ottoman dream culture, but she explains that the understanding of dreaming at its most basic and Chinese tradition was considered in terms of course of yen and yang and in two sort of broad ways of looking at it. So, in one school of thought, which she calls the partheid model, wakefulness is the Yang state and sleep or dream is the Yen state. So it's in the yen state that one's two souls, the terrestrial soul and the aerial soul, become disconnected, allowing the end state of the soul to explore without anchor of the yang. And if these two souls don't recouple upon waking, well, then you die. And thus there's this long standing connection between sleep and death in Chinese thought, I guess I'm assuming also coupled with the with the obvious observation that when we sleep it's kind of like we're dead. Also in dream, it's said via this model, the drifting soul might encounter quote, avatars of the forces of justice and fate that one would not normally encounter in the mundane world, but you might encounter them in dream, and therefore you might suffer ill dreams and nightmares as punishments.
Speaker 3: But basically the idea that when the material like the grounded soul and the aerial souls separate during sleep, the aerial soul can kind of wander and have encounters with other like ghosts or ancestors or other beings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and also just more broadly, that the waking world is the yang world and the dream world is the yen world. But then this other model, which she calls the phasic model, it takes a different approach to yin and yang and dreams and wakefulness. In this one, the idea is that a sleeping individual will cycle in and out of different phases of yin and yang throughout one's sleep at night, and this would be in the form of dreamlessness and dreaming. So in this what goes on in our sleep mirror mirrors just all the other patterns in our life, just a pattern of yin and yang, and you know, and ultimately you want these to be in balance with each other. This school of thoughts, she writes, stress natural causes of dreams and nightmares rather than the supernatural, so not saying that it was just all potato, but leaned more potato than the other model.
Speaker 3: That's interesting because obviously it mirrors the true fact that we don't dream the entire time we're asleep, that there are specific phases of sleep during which we dream or during which dreaming is heightened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's also interesting concerning some other things that come up in the book about just thinking about different ways that a night's sleep may go. And indeed this sort of idea that some positive that you could have an entire night's sleep that is completely dream free, that you can avoid dreams entirely, or you can avoid all sorts of one type of dream in favor of another.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, well that brings up another way of thinking about dreams that is different than I think anything we've discussed in this series so far. We focused a lot on people attaching various kinds of supernatural, revelatory or prophetic power to the contents of their dreams. But you know, another thing that seems to be fairly common in the world is just having beliefs about ways to have a good dream, like when you want to have a good dream as opposed to a bad one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think this is like a lot of what's going on, and particularly in the Chinese example, is occurring again among the elites, among the intellectual elites and theological elites of the day, and it gets, you know, it gets rather complex. But I think like when you get down to some of the more like shamanistic roots of all of this and sort of like the average individuals like sort of base understanding of dreams. You kind of come down to those some of the like the really key questions. And obviously one question is is this real or is it not? And if it's not real, where does it come from? If it is real, where does it come from? And what does it mean? That sort of thing. But then also like coming down if you ask the average individual just on the street, hey, what do you think about dreams? Even today? They might be like, I don't know, you know, dreams or dreams whatever. But if you ask them what do you think about what is your opinion on nightmares? Most people are going to say I don't care for them. I would prefer not to have them. And so there's I think there's always going to be that level of a dream culture as well, like can we do something about these nightmares? I mean, this is nice that you have all these thoughts about like where these are coming from, But I would tell me how to not have the nightmare.
Speaker 3: Whether Scrooge is being tortured by the actual ghost of Jacob Marley or it is just the bit of mustard or the crust of bread that is causing it. Either way, it is unpleasant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean this is I'm sure preaching to the choir universally among our listeners here. But you know, nightmares suck. They disrupt your night's sleep, and by disrupting your night's sleep, you're gonna inevitably disrupt your waking day to follow, not only like on a physiological level, but also a potentially on a mental or emotional level. And we have to bear in mind that like bad dreams and nightmares can also be intensified via stress and trauma in life. So you know, it's like this boulder rolling down a hill, and I think we can all, you know, understand that that desire to want to stop that boulder or to diminish it somehow before it lands into us. And that's without even getting into some of the more extreme examples of Paris on the night terrors and so forth, Like just sort of like normal nightmares can be horrible. They're horrible for us and then certainly as parents, you know, they're horrible when you're having to deal with someone, especially a young child, but also to other loved ones when they're experiencing them, because there's this kind of kind of helplessness to it, right, Like you can't protect them in their dreams. So we'll get back to this general topic of like traditions and customs regarding the prevention of bad dreams and sort of opening the door for more positive dreams. But this also brings up something that I'm sure a number of you have been thinking about listening to these episodes, and you've probably been wondering why it hasn't come up yet, and that is the topic of so called lucid dreaming. Lucid dreaming is, of course, you know, the idea that you can take the wheel of your dreams, that within your dream you can realize you are dreaming and say, hey, I'm going to flip the script here, I'm going to do whatever I want.
Speaker 3: Essentially, it's interesting because it often seems to hinge on the question of whether you can realize when you are dreaming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, it's something that my understanding from having you know, discussed on the show in the bast is that it's something you got to work at. People do apply themselves to it, and people do report results. I've never applied myself to it, and therefore the few times that I do have lucid moments in my dreams where I realize that I am dreaming. I immediately follow out of it. So I'll have a dream where I'm like, hey, this is a dream, and then I'll be like, what did I just think? I don't remember, and then I'm back under the spell of the dream, and this will happen the times that it's happened like this, It'll just happen like several times in a row, and I'm unable to shake the delusion of the dream.
Speaker 3: I think I've shared this on the show before, but my experience is every time in a dream I start to wonder if I'm dreaming or not, I think, no, this is definitely real. It seems to imply I don't know. I wonder if that means I'm especially prone to delusions. I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's hard for me to like in the dream. I'm always like, I bring my own like waking sort of cautiousness to the dream. So I was thinking earlier about like substances within dreams, drugs within dreams, for example, which I've read some wonderful fictional treatments of this before. But the times where I've been offered, say a drug within it. I'm always like, no, thank you, I don't know what's in that will I will politely decline, And then afterwards I'm like, well that, why didn't. It's a dream like that, this is the place to try strange substances, the dream world. But no, I don't realize it's a dream, so I don't give it a go.
Speaker 3: Dream cocaine can't hurt you.
Speaker 2: So, as we've discussed on the show before, the term itself lucid dreaming originates in nineteen thirteen with Dutch psychiatrist Frederick van Eaton, but he was hardly the first person to recognize that the dreamer can become aware that they are in a dream and then influence the shape of that dream. That this basic idea had been written about in Europe for centuries, and in ancient times you have the likes of Saint Augustine, Galen, Aristotle. They all wrote about it. In Asia of The concept was also understood among ancient Hindus and early Buddhists, and so this was certainly recognized in the dream culture of the Latening period as well. Interestingly, we've only mentioned lucid dreaming once in the book, but it's still notable. In one section, she is discussing leang ying Ming, an important Neo Confucian thinker of the Ming dynasty. He is said to have followed a Taoist practice of deep meditation that minimized both sleep and dream. And I suppose in this we see a reflection of that idea that you know, there is a threat posed by the irrational dreams. You know, this is these are to be avoided because this is where I do not have like intellectual and emotional control. So I take it to mean he was just maybe not a big fan of dreams anyway. He wrote very little about dreams himself, but he was a big proponent of something known as the lug shi, which Struve describes as the infant mind, an innate sense of right and wrong. That you can think of this as a kind of innate conscious. This is infected if you put it into translators. This is how it'll be translated in the modern sense. It's kind of a it's your conscious. It's you know, this innate sense of right and wrong. And it's said to be present even when we are infants. So it's something that is not you don't learn in books or school. It is something sort of innate and pure within the human.
Speaker 3: Psyche conscience without the law.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which, and where it gets interesting with concerning dreams is that Youngming insists that the lang Gie is active all the time in both waking and sleeping, making sure that any dreams you have are going to be prescient rather than mere delusions of dream sleep. I guess you would maybe agree that the reason I'm turning down the dream cocaine is because of my lang Gee or some semblance of my lang Gi.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: But more importantly, to his teachings, specifically, it was meant that the core of spiritual truth was not something limit to intellectuals, but something available to everyone from birth. And therefore, you know, it had wide popularity and would be the kind of the idea that you know, non intellectuals would also gravitate towards. But here's where the lucid dreaming comes. In one of his contemporaries, lou Honkshin wrote of a dream he had as a young boy to demonstrate the importance of Langzi, and in particular, this account involves his five year old self channeling the Langhi in order to overcome the delusions of dream and instead lucid dream his way out of it. And Struve also says that this was a way to illustrate the importance of Buddha Dallas thought even among less radical followers. There's a full account of the dream in the book, and the dream itself is pretty simple. It's not you know, it's not crazy. He dreams himself on a wide, busy street full of carts and people, and there, I guess the one like implied dream world aspect of it is that the mansions towering overhead are kind of dizzying, so I'm imagining something more like times Square as opposed to something that would actually be appropriate for the time period. But then he realizes it's all a dream, and he starts shouting at all the people, saying something along the lines of hey, dummies, don't you know this is a dream, And they don't listen. They just kind of shrug it off and keep doing their things. So he laughs at them, he claps his hands, and he wakes up, and then as an adult, he goes out. You know. In retelling this, he also uses this to sort of compare it to the waking world as well, which of course, is a common motif.
Speaker 3: This reminds me of one of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes, when we talked about in a Halloween show we did a few years back, where there is a character who keeps insisting to everyone around him that he is dreaming and they only exist right now because they are in his dream, and whenever he wakes up, they're going to cease to be, so it's in their interest for him him to keep dreaming. And it turns out he's like on death row about to be executed for a crime. He's like, don't execute me, because then you will no longer exist.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that was a good one. Yeah, we did. We discussed that in one of the Anthology of Horror episodes, I believe.
Speaker 3: But hang Jan doesn't make that case to the people around him.
Speaker 4: He's just like, you don't know, you're in a dream right.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: To bring things back into like sort of wider consideration of dreams during the ming period, again, there's this idea that waking is yang and dream as yin only in the waking state do you have like true clarity and penetration. Though with a number of caveats, you know, we get into this idea, like we say in the Three Varieties of Dreams, and I saw these discussed elsewhere in Strew's book with the confusion Take on Everything, idea of true dreams or dreamless dreams, those non delusional dreams which are said to arise spontaneously versus strange dreams or nightmares, which I think we can compare to the infernal interpretation. And then stirrings which arise in response to life experiences, which of course is clearly the potato category. But by the seventeenth century there is also this idea that in sleep, some part of the dream is allowed to wander like an unbridled horse, a horse that is still tame, though, and may report back to the body with wisdom. Again touching into some of these ideas we've discussed already about half the soul wandering and having these encounters, opening the possibility for divine visions and so forth. S True summarizes that all of this begins with a general trend towards subjectivity and neo Confucianism, but then it gains more momentum through Dallast and Buddhist thought and ming intellectual circles. These are, of course the three major teachings, and then the dream could permeates the literary and visual arts of the time period, producing apparently more dream related works of art and literature in China than any other period. And everything is then sort of wrapped up in the vortex of a dynasty at its end, and then ultimately the aftermath of that end. And she says that while all cultures have their dream cultures, dreams are not considered with equal seriousness across all of them, especially among the educated elite. But one of her core arguments is that the Late Ming period is the most radical period of Chinese dream culture, and given that, one could make a good case for it being the most radical period of dream culture in recorded human history. And here's one more interesting tidbit. Struve argues the quote, the total effect of these changes was to weaken the distinction that people normally drew between waking and non waking awareness and to make doubts about parsing reality and unreality emblematic of the age.
Speaker 3: Is this real life?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So yeah, just such a fascinating look at this time period, which again we check out the book if you want to really go go and deep on it. It's it's very readable, very interesting stuff. But just the take home, yeah, is that that perhaps arguably like this may be the period certainly in Chinese tradition, in Chinese history, but maybe even larger, maybe with thin human culture recorded human history entirely, like this is the period of time where the focus on dreams becomes like like so pronounced that that you're like weakening our popular understanding of the day between reality and unreality. It's it's fascinating to think about it.
Speaker 3: And ultimately, what is the argument Struve makes about why the literature and art of this period is so dream focused?
Speaker 2: You know, I think it comes down to those converging elements you know that we touched on earlier. You know that you have a dynasty at its end, you have the intellectual circle. Within the intellectual circle, you have all these individuals who aren't able to apply themselves to state craft and state function, and then these various sort of theological and intellectual trends that are converging as well. So it's you know, it's comparable to some of the other examples we've pointed out where it's like you have a mix of sort of things that are going on within the zeitgeist and then within the intellectual circle, and then things going on in the external world that are kind of forcing this narrowing thought or focusing a thought on dreams and the power of dreams.
Speaker 3: I was thinking about ways to compare and contrast with the features of the Quaker example that we talked about in the previous episode, And if this makes any sense to you, let me know. I was kind of noticing an interesting difference, which is that both seem to be very dream focused cultures that arise when they're is a lot of political and social change. Again, the founding of the Quakers coming out of the period of the English Civil War and the Interregnum period, and then everything you just discussed about the Late Ming example. But one difference seems to me that at least the way Strove characterizes a lot of the dream obsession of the Late Ming period, it seems to be kind of a retreat. It's like avenues of earthly material focus might be kind of closed off, so there is a retreat to looking for significance and purpose in the dream world, whereas for the Quakers, it almost seems like the focus on dreams is more of an advance mode or an attack mode, rather than a retreat. You know, it's like there is intense focus on dreams as a way of getting guidance for the next step forward for a growing and very exuberant, enthusiastic religious group. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think case could be made for that. I mean, I guess in both cases it does seem like people are turning to dreams at least in part for answers and understanding for either self reflection or like a cosmic understanding of what's going on in the world. But yeah, there's something about or at least in these writings, we've looked at the way that the Quaker approach does feel like dream tonight, act tomorrow, whereas a lot of the way it's discussed by Streuve concerning the late Ming dynasty, it's like dream tonight and maybe dream the next several nights, less focus on like what is the immediate action, or so it seems to me.
Speaker 3: Though, to bring up another example we talked about you in the first episode on this in the series focused on like the Romantic period in English literature, like the Romantic, the British Romantic poets and so forth, which I think are largely interpreted in some ways as a reaction to the Industrial Revolution and to modernity. Like the literature of the English language Romantic period, is often interpreted as an attempt to escape the realities of the modern world and especially industrialization.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so dream dream tonight, write poetry tomorrow, or create visual art tomorrow. And that, of course we see that reflected in the main example as well the creation of all of this dream literature and also dream visionary arts as well. Yeah, and I can't help but come back to, you know, wondering about you know, where we are now, I mean we, as we've discussed, you know, our modern understanding of dreams is largely potato based, you know, with some forays into these other worlds, but also today.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry to interrupt you, but just to clarify if you happen to tune in late on this series, we're using potato as a shorthand just for naturalistic explanations of dreams based on a passage and Scrooge. We're not literally saying that everybody thinks it's caused by digest of issues, though that has been one of the naturalistic explanations people have used over the years. I think today a lot of people would say the contents of dreams are just I don't know, kind of obscure psychological causes. It's things you've been thinking about and so forth.
Speaker 2: Though, I am brought back once again to our Beans episode talking about like the link between beans and I remember us getting into that a little bit, like perhaps like beans digestion, beings, association with the spiral world, and ghosts.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but I mean today, not only do we have beings still and certainly we still have dreams, but we also have all of these technological means of throwing ourselves down the chasm of other worlds, you know. I mean we have virtual worlds, we have various video game worlds and so forth. So I don't know how we would factor all of that into it as well. M Yeah, Like to what extent is the creation and the not only the creation of, but the yearning for digital virtual worlds, A yearning for like a dream world of our own design, A like that's sort of a lucid or semi lucid creation.
Speaker 3: Sold's a dream realized as a nightmare.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's this like straight up matrix stuff right here, I guess, Like, yeah, but so it's not a wholly original thought. But yeah, I can't help, but but wonder about it.
Speaker 3: Well, Fortunately, if you are stuck in an Internet bad dream, you can log off. Always remember that you can. You can detach from the device.
Speaker 2: That's right. All right, Well, we're going to gohe and close out this episode, but join us Tuesday, I believe, for the final episode in this series. In the meantime, if you want to go back and listen to any other episodes of Stuff to Blow Your Mind, you'll find them in the Stuff to Blow Your Mind podcast feed Core episodes published on Tuesdays and Thursdays. On Mondays, we do a listener mail episode where you know, we'll inevitably be discussing everybody's dreams some more, as we've done in the past and we'll continue to do in future. On Wednesdays, we do a short form artifact or monster fact episode. In fact, the monster then inspired the the series was originally going to be a monster fact episode, but it just got too big. And then on Fridays we set aside most serious concerns to just talk about a weird film on Weird House SEMA.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks to our excellent audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello. You can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.