Speaker 1: The volume. NFL fans, it's time to unwrap NonStop football action this holiday season. Throw down on big matchups with Draft Kings Sportsbook and official sports betting partner of the NFL. This week, new customers can bet just five bucks on any NFL and score one hundred and fifty bucks instantly and bonus best download Draft Kings Sportsbook. Now with Cold Shannon, new customers can bet five dollars on any NFL action to score one hundred and fifty instantly and bonus best only on Draft Kings Sportsbook with Cold Shannon. The crown is yours.
Speaker 2: Hello, ladies and gentlemen, thank you for joining us.
Speaker 1: Welcome to another episode of Nightcap Basketball Edition. I'm your favorite sports on Shannon Sharp. He's your favorite number of zeros. He's also the greatest Arizona Wildcat hoop player in the history of the Pro gram. The man once dropped all he did drop sixty in a game against the Lakers. Gil Agent Zero arenas, Gil, what's going on? Bro?
Speaker 2: Hey man? Who you been talking to? There's only a small few people who think I'm the best Arizona player ever.
Speaker 1: Well, please make sure y'all subscribe to the Nightcap podcast feed. You can subscribe to the Nightcast podcast feed. We have our own feed, Nightcap, but you can also grab it through the Club shap Shape mix just as long as you grab it, but grab it through the Nightcast Nightcap podcast feed, but it's also available through the Club Shay Shape. We're still looking at the numbers. A bunch of y'all still listening through the Club shap Shape feed. That's okay, but we will really prefer you guys subscribe to the Nightcap edition. You can also like and subscribe to Gil Arenas Gills Arena channel on YouTube.
Speaker 2: The show airs Monday through.
Speaker 1: Thursday live at eleven thirty am Pacific time. That's two thirty pm Eastern time. Eleven thirty am Pacific, two thirty pm Eastern, So make sure you check out Gil.
Speaker 2: He has some very interesting stakes he and his cast.
Speaker 1: We've also pinned Shave by Laportier link at the top of the chat. New Year's right around the corner ben Valentine's Day, then President Day, so make sure you go out and support your favorite grab yourself a bottle for you or someone you love.
Speaker 2: So thank you guys. Gil. Let's get right into it.
Speaker 1: Luca and the MAVs collapse in the fourth quarter lose against the Calves one thirteen to one ten. The Calves overcame a twenty point deficit, outscored the Mavericks thirty one to twenty in the fourth quarter. No Donovan Mitchell, no Darius Garland, no Evan More. Karas Lebert twenty nine points and Augussy late three for the lead. Jared Allen had twenty four points twenty three rebounds. I guess he was responding to Andre Drummonds twenty four and twenty five against the hag yesterday. Luca thirty nine, seven and six was an kind of what did you take away from this ball game? It's it's usually your bench. You know, Dallas is they have one superstar. This reminds me of Jordan when he came into the league, right, you know, Luca is so good where we think that you know, Dallas Mappick is a concerned good. No, he's good. Yeah, they're not good. You know your third best player, which is your second best player, now comes off the bench.
Speaker 2: Right. It lets you know where the team is and you know he was just outmatched.
Speaker 1: You know, it's basically him versus you know Cleveland five. Now which is embarrassing because you know, without the no Donovan Mitchell, no Darius Garland, no Evan Mobley. So the Cavs are down three starters. You can't lose that game on your home court, especially being up by Twinny gild Yeah, but you know when you when you have players like LeVert coming off the bench where he was a big factor in this game where it came off with twenty nine off the bench, right, you know, he was a big, big key when Brooklyn was when when he was with Brooklyn right when he's hating them, So you know he can play. And that's what's coming off the bench. So you got guys that steps up that you normally don't count on. But that's what having deep rosters is like. So when you do need players like that, they can really, you know, count for one game. So you know, it's just one of those games where you know, Dallas got a little a little overzealous, as you can say, yeah, and when you look at it, I'm looking at this ball game and I'm saying, Okay, Hardaway Junior is a nice player. You got Dante ExHAM who's been playing well, Grant William who you signing free agency. I just don't know how you get up by that many and just blow the game.
Speaker 2: I mean, they basically blew that ball game. They had a twenty point lead.
Speaker 1: And maybe, and I don't know, maybe you can tell me if I'm wrong, But I know sometimes we have a propensity to relax if a team I know, in football, oh, they ain't got this starting quarterback, they're down there starting running back, they're down there starting receiver, or their best this is their best that and sometimes you find yourself you take that for granted. But normally you don't see that happen in football. A team get a fourteen to seventeen point lead with out of team's best players, and the other team that doesn't have those best players come back and win.
Speaker 2: Now we see this, a.
Speaker 1: Twenty point lead in today's game is not the same as a twenty point lead twenty years ago, Gill thirty years ago, because the guys can shoot the three ball so much better. Because I don't remember, I mean when I was growing up, I don't remember got teams coming back from twenty six and twenty eight points in a ball game. Because normally that okay, it's time to watch something else. It's time to do something else. We're gonna go outside and play ball in our home. Y'all down by twenty six, twenty eight. But the way they shoot the three ball, a couple of threes, a couple of turnovers, and the next thing you know, a twenty eight point lead is eighteen.
Speaker 2: And then they go on another spurt, another ten to oh run.
Speaker 1: So now an eighteen oh run, and now you're down ten when you're just down twenty eight.
Speaker 2: But Seth Curry played a good game.
Speaker 1: He had nineteen points, Luca as I mentioned, had thirty nine, Dante ExHAM had thirteen, Derek Jones had twelve, and Tim Hardiwick Junior had fourteen. But you look at Cleveland, Isaaca a Cooru had twenty two, Jared Allen twenty four and twenty three. As we mentioned, Karris Lebert had twenty nine, George n A sixteen.
Speaker 2: You gotta win that window, Gill got.
Speaker 1: Those are the ones that you kick yourself, you know, in the ass later because you let this, you know, get away from you. With that being said, what gets you in the leads is also what takes you out right. Because this is a three point shooting league. Now you can go up by twenty, and you can go down by twenty. You shoot four or five straight threes brickswimming and they made three or four five, Right, you just cut that lead down.
Speaker 2: And that's right. That's what's happening in today's game.
Speaker 1: Where there's no lead that's safe because when you're up, you're not going to get twos and get to the free throw.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 1: You're trying to add the same method that got you back. This one thing that I have a problem with is this. Everyone shouldn't shoot the goddamn ball. But I know we need to put up you know, a certain amount of threes. But not you, not you, not you, because when we're up twenty, everybody else feels like they can shoot.
Speaker 2: This is my job shoot right, No, it's not your time to shoot.
Speaker 1: But kil have you ever seen a situation where all of a sudden, the team is hot and everybody and you see this a lot and mop up duty. A team is like up by twenty with like two minutes to go in the ballgame, and all of a sudden, they call time out and they sub everybody out, and even the backups come in and they launch them and they're going in. Now, you put them guys in a regular meaningful.
Speaker 2: Game and they can't buy a basket.
Speaker 1: But seemingly, when they're up by twenty, everybody, no one can miss a shot. And I think the thing is what you're alluding to is that all of a sudden, everybody they feeling good. They make it three. Hey, let me let me try one. No, bro, you need it another, but two. Actually you need dunks and putbacks. You don't need anything outside the pain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, yeah.
Speaker 1: When you when you're a bench player, the game's down, you down by twenty, you up by twenty. That is the perfect scenario for it because you have no pressure on you. So you just to go out there and just shoot how you want to shoot. That's that's that's like practice for you, right, You just get to throw up shots, and sometimes that that costs you. You know when a team still has their starters in Yeah. Yes, So the Mavericks lose, they collapse to the Calves lose one thirteen, one ten. After being up by twenty points. The Calves outscoring about eleven in the fourth quarter to take a one thirteen to one ten victory. The thunder beat the Knicks one explicit duo of Shake Gilders, Alexander and Jalen Williams combined for seventy two points. Shake Gil just had thirty six, eight and seven. Jalen Williams, I think everybody names Williams in the state Oklahoma play for the Thunder. He had thirty six on five or five three seventy six percent field goal.
Speaker 2: He was thirteen or seventeen.
Speaker 1: Chat Holmgren had twenty two and the Thunder now moved to twenty and nine.
Speaker 2: I like the Thunder Gil, I like him. I do too.
Speaker 1: But they're young, right, Yes, they're gonna give you those days where you know they're gonna be tacking because you know your best player, Shade, he has it right. He understands the game. He's dominating the game right now. He for the last three four five years, he's been showing that he is a superstar.
Speaker 2: So yes, with.
Speaker 1: Him leading the charge, it's easier for everybody else to just chip in here and there. So they have great players around Shade that can just do what they do and don't have to worry about the heavy lifting. Yeah he I mean, man, I love Shaye. I mean he has a tremendous pull step back he can get to the rack. He can finish with either hands. He's a little bit more explosive because you think he's gonna lay it up and he will flush it on you. He got a nice little three game that's not in his arsenal, but he can get hot and hit the three. As you mentioned Williams. I saw him against the Lakers a couple a couple of days ago, even though the Lakers won. He can stroke it from three. He can really shoot the ball from outside. Chad Hogan, he's up and coming. He needs to add about ten pounds.
Speaker 2: In that frame.
Speaker 1: But what I like about him, he ain't just jacking the threes. He'll try to put the ball on the floor and try to get to the rim. He'll try to poke it on you, and he's challenging everything. You might flush on him, but he's gonna block two or three shots. He's gonna alter two or three shots. So he's gonna impact the game from on a defensive from a defensive perspective for about ten points because he's gonna block two or three of your shots. He's gonna alter two or three of your shots, and maybe he'll make the time of possession run out on a few of your shots, so he's gonna count for ten ten points. That's why they're so good defensively, even though they are young. But I like this team. They can get up and down, They can play a lot of different styles. They got young guys, and when you know young guys, you don't know anything. You don't know anything about being tired. But I love Shake Guild just Alexander, And maybe maybe Kawhi went a little bit too fast because how do you think the Clippers And we're gonna continue with this, but how do you think the Clippers would look with Shake Gill?
Speaker 2: Just in Kawhi see that now you see why, Like you know, you you questioned that upper management like what what did you see? What did you see? You know?
Speaker 1: I guess they were trying to win right now, and you know it was more of a package deal for Kawhi to why I wanted, Yeah, he wanted to become I heard Doc. I heard Doc was talking and he tried to explain that. He's like, you need to give this guy here. He's like why, he's really good and he said, well, if you don't get me PG, I'm gonna go to the team across the hallway, and they could ill afford to have that because that had been a death sentence for the Clippers. You cannot have lebron A d and Kawhi across the hall and then all you have if what you've got. So I understand they had to make the move and they gave up a king's ransom to get PG. But when you look at it, and you look at it player for player right now, shake you just is a better player than PG, and he has been for the last couple of years.
Speaker 2: Shame.
Speaker 1: I mean to be honest, he might be a better player than both of them right now. You might be right.
Speaker 2: He might be you know, you know he might be right like he is. I won't fight you. I won't debate you about it, like you know what I mean, Like it can go either way at this point.
Speaker 1: But you know, he's steady, he's humble, he trains, he's worked. I mean every summer he comes back, he's added something to his game. Yes, And you know, Clippers is gonna always kick themselves, you know, in the butt when they look back at some of the trades they made versus what they have now. But you know, just like anything, you're you're always trying to move pieces and get better pieces when you don't know that what's fool's gold and what's real goal? What's that gym? You know, what's that gym hiding in the you know one of those and he those.
Speaker 2: Type of players, right you look at the knicks. R J.
Speaker 1: Bard gave him fourteen, Julius Random gave him twenty five, Devincenzo gave him seventeen. Jalen Bronson was twenty four, quickly was twenty two. But they let they let the thundershoot a very high percentage. And Phibodeau team is normally known for defense, but it's seemingly the Thunderway able to get whatever they wanted. Now it's look, it's very difficult. I mean to try to say, Okay, we're gonna I understand you got Josh Hart, and I understand RJ. Barrett and Devincenzo, but ain't nobody, Ain't nobody stopping Shade from getting where he wants to go. He's gonna get his shot because you try to beat him to the punch and now he's gonna pull back and shoot that shoot that little twelve foot fourteen foot shot, and he's gonna swish it and then all of a sudden, you think he's gonna pull back. He pulled has it and now he's landed up off the glass or he's landing up either way left hand or right handed.
Speaker 2: In the cup.
Speaker 1: So and if they're gonna shoot it like this, if they're gonna shoot the ball like this, they got little chat As I said, Chet's gonna challenge everything. You got Lou Dordt, who's a quality defender who can get hot and shoot the ball from three. And they got guys that can shoot the ball from three. I mean, when you look at this team, Jalen Wims can shoot it for three. Kendrick he's more of a down low player, but he can get hot. Jalen Williams, well j A. L. E. N and j Y hell I in like I said, everybody named Williams Oklahoma plays for the Thunder. But they got a nice young, nice young basketball team. Is Isaiah Joe. He can shoot the three ball because I remember him last year when I was at the game, when which lebron fans kareem And every time the Lakers make a run, one of these Williams of Isaiah Joe would make a three to quell that run. So I was really impressed with the thunder, and I think they're only gonna get better. Josh Geeddy, he's not having the season because he normally by now probably have what two or three triple doubles.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think with him, you know, besides the off the court, you know situation, that's then that's you know, looming around him. I think with Chet there, it takes the ball out of his hand more. Yes, right, and with with Shade being more dominant, you don't you don't need Giddy, Right, He's a movable piece at this point.
Speaker 2: You don't need him.
Speaker 1: His upside has dropped very, very drastically. Yes, the nixt squad, I'm never gonna be impressed with him. It reminds me all.
Speaker 2: You like Tibodeau.
Speaker 1: You have two guys that's playing thirty plus minutes, scoring foreign four and two, four and four, Like, what is the point of them being on the court from someone's averaging twenty thirty points? Yeah, Josh Hart had played thirty four minutes and he gave you four points.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's wasted miss wait, wasted minutes? You have Isaiah? Was it Isaiah hards Dad? Yeah?
Speaker 1: But he's your center because you know the big went out. I mean, because they're already undersized team. If you look at them, Hardenstein now is their largest player. So I mean you got to play a big because you got Julius Randall and you know, obviously Randal's gotta play r J.
Speaker 2: Barrett.
Speaker 1: Their decent size, but when you look at it, I mean, they're not a big team. That's why I don't think they can do anything in the East because everybody else's gynormous. You look at Boston has great side with presingas uh uh uh uh j T and JB. They have great size with them. We know Milwaukee has trees with Giannis and and and Bobby Porters and Brook Lopez and Joel Embiid, and they come with not and they come with I think it's Reed's who's the backup center, ain't I ain't talking about Mobamba.
Speaker 2: I ain't talking about him. No, No, I'm not talking about him.
Speaker 1: But they got big guys that can back you down, and I don't know who can deal with who can actually in a seven game series For the Knicks, I know they can win one game because Jayalen Bruns can get hot and give you, give you fifth. We've seen Julius Renderd he can get hot and he give you thirty, and he can give you thirty, forty and fifteen. But in a four game to win four games against Milwaukee or Boston or Philly, I don't believe they can do it. Do you think they can win a series against one of the three teams? No, not those seams. The only team they can beat and I said last year, the only team y'all can beat here is playing against Calves, and that's who they got. You know, Calves with Toronto, you can beat one of those teams with a player like Brunson. You know, once you start getting to that second round and you started going against them giants, it's really hard to win with that lineup. I mean, your best most dominant player is small. Becky Hammond said it right. They don't have a one a player. They don't Brookson is a great, great second player or third or coming off the bench as that that it guy, right, He's so hard for small guys to win a title.
Speaker 2: Gill.
Speaker 1: I mean, you look at the history of the game as lead dogs has been Steph Curry and it's been Isaiah Thomas. Yeah, and now don't don't take anything away from Ai. Chuck was outstanding and he put up big enough, led the league in scoring.
Speaker 2: Obviously we know what he is. He was a he was a historic player.
Speaker 1: But to win a championship, man, like I said, you got to be Steph Curry, who we know is transcended in Isaiah. Those are only I'm talking when I say small, and I guess Steph Curry. What you say, Steph is six two, six and a half and a half, six three and a half Isaiah six to one. But when you start talking about it's bruntson is Brunson six foot.
Speaker 2: With shoes on? He six to two? He made it.
Speaker 1: So when you when you talk when we talk about small. Now we know the big guards, we know, we know uh magic and we know Jordan's guys of that. But man for them, for them little guards. Man, you're asking an awful lot. It's a it's an awful lot because if that's your best players, and it's not like he's athletic or like he's he's long, right.
Speaker 2: You know where he can make up some of the black of side.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he's he's small, stubby, compact, right, you know, it's like, he's not a Chauncey Billups. But if you put him with like Lebron great, if you put him with Boston great. When he's the best player on the team, you really don't have a chance because he has to do so much being limited, and he's very limited at his size. I mean, I compare him to it, and to be honest, I'm pretty sure it is offended because it was a two time All Star average in twenty nine, and don't compare me to do he ain't even on level right right, But but but that's just the case. When you're small like Iverson, you gotta average thirty two to thirty three twenty four. I can get that from any guard. I can get from me guard. But what he does bring is he brings the leadership and knowing how to get a great bucket in the last five minutes of the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's sensatial with that.
Speaker 1: So okay, see with that ball Game one twenty nine, the Sixers beat the Magic minus Joel Embiid one twelve to ninety two, Sixers first win without Embiid this season. In five tries, Philly takes seventeen more shots than Orlando ty Reeves, Maxi had twenty three points to lead them. The Anthony Melton stepped up tonight. He had twenty two, eight or thirteen field goals. He was plus twenty four. Ty Reech Maxi credits James Harden for helping him develop into an all NBA caliber talent. First, let's get to the Sixers beat the Magic without Joel Embiid, and then we can address Tyreeves. Maxi comments credit Flowers for James Harden. What are you like minus Jordan? Obviously we know what Joel Embiid. He's averaging thirty five points a game. He's given you ten eleven rebounds a game. Now he's given you five or six assists the game. So now he's the complete package, and he's a dominant force on the defensive end.
Speaker 2: So he's given you thirty five.
Speaker 1: He's assistant on six, so we assumed that at least two of those is gonna be three.
Speaker 2: So now he's basically given you about forty five to fifty points a night with his points and assist. So you know you got that.
Speaker 1: You know you see Tybres Maxi blossoming growing right.
Speaker 2: In front of our eyes.
Speaker 1: He can he's giving you twenty five to thirty on a night the basis, and some nights he can give you thirty five forty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do you like?
Speaker 1: What do you like most about the Sixers without him? Be they're they're way better than Orlando. Orlando is young, right, you know, something coming to a young team. So you know you expected, you know, Sixers to winness, right, you got you still got Harris over there, you still got Oubre, You got solid veteran guys who know how to play this game. Right, You would expect, like MAXI to come out and try to score forty tonight, right because in B's not You're like, oh, I get to get off. But the way the game is being played, he realized that he still manages the game, you know, and Bed's not going to get this ball, but Uber can get some shots. You have, Harrison gets some shots, Milton get get some shots. So he still did his job as a point guard, you know, getting the team involved when usually a young, a young guard would try to make up the point difference for his star center.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was, uh, he's really, he's really good.
Speaker 1: He's he's he's gonna get the max contract, and I think the max contract this year especially he's gonna be. I think he's gonna make the All Star team. And so now he has another bargaining chip and it so whatever the max was last year, I'm assuming it's going up a little bit at five percent. There's a five percent and place your tax max contract number. But I like Tyree's maxing. He said he credited James Harden with helping him develop into an All NBA player.
Speaker 2: What's he saying for for our lay people at home? What is he saying? Yes?
Speaker 1: See, people don't realize how great James Harden was at putting that ball in that basket. Right.
Speaker 2: I think we.
Speaker 1: The last two years we judged him on out side things and not realize what he was very skilled at.
Speaker 2: Right. You know, you got to go back to that twenty.
Speaker 1: Eighteen twenty nineteen season where he average w thirty six. Out of the last sixty one games, he scored thirty plus forty six of those games out of sixty one games he scored forty. He's scored thirty or more forty six times or more all sixty one times. That's a different breed of a score. So if I'm MAXI I'm soaking up everything. I don't care where he's at right now. I know what's here, and I want to train with you. I want to pick your brain. I want to know what you know because this type of level of scoring, there's only really two other guards that really this, Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant. Hoben went on runs like this. Ye, yeah, where you're talking about out of the last sixty one games of the season, twenty or more, all sixty one. That's impressive, yes, And I think the thing is what we remember James Harden at his absolute apex in Houston, and he turned himself in more of a facilitator at Brooklyn. So we didn't see that fifty that fifty point triple double. We didn't see the sixty point triple doubles. We saw guys somewhere in the mid twenties give you a triple double. And if Kad was out, he took the owners, he could score more. If Kyrie was out, he could take the owners and score even more. But normally when one of those other guys were out, it was great because he understood, yes, I can get my shot, but I need to get these other guys involved.
Speaker 2: When he went to.
Speaker 1: Philly, he even became more of a facilitator, leading the NBA in assists last year because of Joel Embiid.
Speaker 2: It's hard.
Speaker 1: I don't see a situation where you shouldn't leave the NBA at assists if you got Joel and bid it up and down too. Now you know he gonna give you thirty a night anyway. Most of a lot of those gonna come from the file line. But when I look at when you look at gay, and that's what I said, as a veteran player, give that knowledge because a lot of times Gil Man, he ain't taking my job.
Speaker 2: I ain't helping it.
Speaker 1: Facts facts, And we see this chat with a lot of times in the NFL with the quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: It's not my job to get him ready. It's not my job to help him.
Speaker 1: It's almost like, bro, if you're secure in yourself, he can't beat you out for the job. If you are what you believe is pass the information on. It'll serve you.
Speaker 2: Well. What good is all that information to hoard it? Spread it?
Speaker 1: But I love Tyreese maxt and I love the fact that he's gave James Harden says, James Harden is the reason I'm watching him, and you should should You should be able to get better by being on the same court, by practicing with picking his brain, watching what he does, see how he breaks down the defense, how he orchestrates and leap excuse me, how he breaks down the defense, how he leads an offense.
Speaker 2: You should get better? You should?
Speaker 1: Everybody don't, right, because everybody want to get better. No, everyone ain't built for the same altitude, right, right, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean? And that's usually the most frustrating part.
Speaker 1: Where you have someone like a James Harden who he's he's an eagle right right, and playing with some pigeons and he's trying to.
Speaker 2: Get them to.
Speaker 1: His altitude, knowing that if they get they're gonna die, right, So now he has to come down and play pigeon basketball.
Speaker 2: While getting killed by the media for playing pigeon basketball, right.
Speaker 1: And then that's where you have this fine line between being selfish and being a team player.
Speaker 2: Where I can average thirty six on this team they trash, But.
Speaker 1: If I make the right plays and pass these guys at the ball, they're not capable of it. So should I average twenty two eleven assists and we lose? So I can prove that this team sucks or do I just average thirty six points and you just keep calling me selfish?
Speaker 2: That is a big finger in the NBA.
Speaker 1: Okay, that is a big fight in the NBA with the star player when when the pressure from the outside, it is like why he ain't pa, why he ain't doing because my team ain't good. They not They can't step up to this level. They don't want to work like I worked out three times a day every day. When I got to Washington, I seen in my years Koran was the most consistent, Larry Hughes a few times, and Twine Jamison a few times. That's it in my in my and and and my extra work. So when I come in at nine o'clock and at nine eleven o'clock at night one in the morning, I only seen a few.
Speaker 2: Players out of my whole career.
Speaker 1: Everybody don't want it, then you can't make them. And see that's what that's what people don't understand. There's a price to be paid for greatness, and if you're not willing to pay that price, you don't deserve to be great. I don't care how much you talk about it, because see professional sports, the one thing that you can't talk your way in or out because they're gonna.
Speaker 2: Have to prove it. The proof is in the pudding. So you're telling me all this what you're doing.
Speaker 1: I don't see it manifesting itself because I'm a firm believer Gil that if you were I don't care what it is. If you work at something, you will get incrementally better. I'm not gonna say you're gonna be if you if you finger paint, I'm not gonna say you're gonna be Picasso. I'm not gonna say he's gonna be you know, Da Vinci or Mikaelangelo. I'm not saying that. But you will get better, yes, even if it's marginally. This is what I said about Ben Simmons. I didn't see any improvement from Ben Simmons from his rookie year to his fifth year.
Speaker 2: And people are, oh, man, you don't know. I said, I'm telling you.
Speaker 1: There's no possible way that this man can be putting in the time that he says he's putting in, and I don't see any improvement. You know what's so funny. He is one of those rare cases. I've watched him three summers. I've watched him three summers, and what I'm watching is a superstar basketball player. Right, I'm walking like I'm sitting here. He can shoot the ball. He can He's coming downhill right, He's dominating.
Speaker 2: These other superstars.
Speaker 1: They were scared of this man every summer because he's gonna pick up full court. You know, you know in the summer you're trying to be he's picking up a full court and he's coming at you.
Speaker 2: That perception is a real thing.
Speaker 1: A lot of a lot of shooters, a lot of guys that can't shoot is because they've been practicing in these small gyms and then when they get to that arena, they can't. I got I gouged that that damn rim. Wow, when he plays in the game, he don't shoot the ball because.
Speaker 2: I don't think he knows that distance.
Speaker 1: I've watched this man's like, why don't you shoot the ball in the game right? Like your foot The mechanics is great, and I think that that that rim, that that that you know you know and practice.
Speaker 2: There's there's that.
Speaker 1: Wall right there exactly yeah open, it's open space in that arena. So I always made it a stance myself to the night before I'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna get in that rim.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna get in that that Uh, if there was no hockey game, I'm gonna get on the main court and get some shots up.
Speaker 2: You gotta you gotta practice in that arena.
Speaker 1: You can't practice in these small gyms and then get to the arena and think your shot is that? And I think that, you know, there's there's a couple of things with that. And I think he just when he gets to that game, I think he just freezes up. He's scared to make mistakes. Yeah, that's that's a lot of it, because we saw that and in the game seven against Atlanta when they had that lead. You see, the thing is, Gail, I can teach you to I can teach you to swim if you're not afraid of the water. See, I can't teach you to shoot if you're afraid to miss it. See it's not that he can't shoot. He's afraid to shoot too. That's two different things. But not being able to swim and being afraid of the water are two different things because you're afraid, Well, he was afraid.
Speaker 2: That's why he didn't shoot. That's why. And I remember saying it.
Speaker 1: I says, and Doc, I remember, Doc said, anybody that doesn't think that we're gonna play that we're gonna take Ben Simmons out and we're not gonna play him in the fourth quarter.
Speaker 2: They don't know basketball.
Speaker 1: I said, Doc, it's gonna come a time you're gonna have no choice, I said, because he's a liability.
Speaker 2: I said, because if.
Speaker 1: The team is down by ten and it's a outside of two minutes or I'm following him every day, every trip down the corn, I'm gonna fiore him. Y'all are not gonna get that ball to Joel and Bed And that's what Atlanta did and got back into the game every single time.
Speaker 2: And Dan when it came time he had a dunk, and he asked it.
Speaker 1: The mental when you're when you're mentally not comfortable, it shows at the worst time in games. Yes, right, I remember when, like when I came back off an injury and my free throws wasn't on right now because my free throws is not where they're supposed to be, I'm scared to drive to get hit, so I don't have to shoot that free throw, right, that's a thing. Right now, I'm driving not to get fouled because so I don't have to go to the free throw line. Right, So when you start looking at the game, once that, once that player gets into his own mind, there's nothing the coach can do, there's nothing opponent to do.
Speaker 2: He's already beating himself.
Speaker 1: Up right right, Like there was times where when I was on my free throws, I talked to myself, cash money baby, nothing but cash money baby, Like I had to talk myself into everything I'm doing cash money buckets. Like it's a it's a thing that when you're on that court, you miss ten straight shots, if you're not self confident, you're gonna miss another ten. That's when you start wide open layup. You miss it or you got gotta lay up, and you finally get your point.
Speaker 2: Your teammate goal tended.
Speaker 1: Everything starts going wrong, can throw it go in, uh somebody?
Speaker 2: Uh free throw violation.
Speaker 1: Right, Everything just starts going wrong, and it just keeps you down that spiral. Then you just gotta be you got to be self aware to get yourself out of it.
Speaker 2: And I don't think I think that it was at that moment. I agree.
Speaker 1: I think the number one thing Gil is, this is what I tell a lot of people, whether it's force or life, don't you become an opponent Because a lot of times we can become our own opponent. And that's even more that's even more lethal than the opponent for the opposing teams.
Speaker 2: Us.
Speaker 1: We create an opponent that we cannot beat in that self.
Speaker 2: And so what what what Ben has done?
Speaker 1: He's created an opponent that he cannot beat, and until until he defeats that opponent, here we are.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the sad part is I've always said it like if I was a coach and I know this player is struggling, I know this player will sacrifice his scoring for the betterment of the team, right, And as a coach, I'm like, I'm sorry, but f these teams got them, do you right? I need you to go out there and please try to give me fifty. I want to see it. We got to meet me and the rest of the crew. Got to bet go out there. We're not trying to win this game. I'll wait to We got damn played. Uh, We're gonna play goddamn Detroit. Everywhere everyone bingched Ben, you gotta win this game by your goddamn self. I because I gotta see I gotta let him tap into it so he can see it for himself. Sometimes you got to just see what you can do to really believe, because there's no way that you're going to the game. Think about this ship. You're playing thirty eight minutes and you took six shots. Yeah, that means you are purposely not even looking to score. You just out there. Ask you you like the you like the motherfucking uh the playing in the club.
Speaker 2: Uh? You just in the club.
Speaker 1: You're just there, you know, different than that thing back then. You're just out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, especially he the point guard and I'm playing that many minutes. Oh, I'm getting me twelve to fourteen to night fax shots. Hey, hat shots, guaranteed shots.
Speaker 2: Hey, like you said at the club, it's the club shot shot shot shot shot, because I'm getting the ball.
Speaker 1: I'm getting the bull Ki And who's gonna tell you no when you when you're so getting like.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure and be.
Speaker 1: James Harden, No, not James Harden, but uh, Kyrie, Yeah, Katie, I.
Speaker 2: Know those guys were so pissed off at him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, because I get to watch you every day in practice, homeboy, Yes, I get to see your ability in real time and then you come out here and give me this bull.
Speaker 2: That's the frustrating things.
Speaker 1: When you know what your your teammates is capable of, and then they come into the lights and.
Speaker 2: You've seen it, you've seen it, you see it again.
Speaker 1: We've all I mean, I've had teammates catch a ball, I mean high point the ball in practice, catch the ball in a crowd.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about one hand.
Speaker 1: They can do it all and as soon as you put them in the game, ball hit him in the face mask I mean ball hit them right between the I mean the ball that hit him on the ground by the time they bring their hands together. We've all seen guys like that, like ro what happened to that guy that was in practice on Wednesdays and Thursday and Friday. How do you go from that you don't drop anything to you can't catch anything because he's comfortable with us, not the opponent, Oh, be comfortable with us, not the opponent. The opponent is the person that they know, and not knowing stares the shit out of some people. We see that a lot in camp, guys making plays against people that you know. And that's what if a lot of times you hear football players say, Man, I just want to go out there against somebody that I don't know, that doesn't have on my uniform. I just want to hit somebody, because you want to see what these young kids can do against somebody that they don't know. Yes, somebody that that's not going to put that thump on them and that's not going to put him on the ground. That guy's trying to make the roster just like you are.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: So I want to see I want to see the Suns beat the Rockets one twenty nine, one thirteen. KD ha the monster night. He had twenty seven points, sixteen assists, ten rebounds. KD denied a report that he's frustrated with the Sons. Walk says, somebody else feels that I'm frustrated and it turned to me being mentally checked out.
Speaker 2: This is crazy. These people can.
Speaker 1: Plan out loud, my name, make it up and you people will believe it. But when my teammates and coaches speak on high am as a high am as a teammate, you ignore it.
Speaker 2: Lol.
Speaker 1: So we'll get to that. We'll get we'll get the KD comments in a second. Let's talk about the game. What did you like, what did you like about what you saw tonight from the Suns? And what's been what happened tonight that's been different than the other Knights. See what the Suns they have a great starting five, right, I mean, listen, we we can't give you no praise. You're playing Houston, right, I mean, he's you know, proving, but you know what we know who's coming to play it Kevin Durant Booker right right on, Like you know, that's that is the core of that team.
Speaker 2: It's it's trying to find.
Speaker 1: That six seven eighth guy who can give you consistent play and and and that's that's the key with a lot of these teams. They haven't really dialed in that their roster. They don't know what they're looking for or what they want, and it's it's bringing a lot of confusion in your with team chemistry in.
Speaker 2: The first place.
Speaker 1: But the starting five themselves, oh they're balling the starting five for for sons. They they got their stuff intact, right, They're having about they're having is about ninety five points as a starting unit. Okay, that is impressive, right, yeah, But when you're talking about what one hundred and sixteen points. That means you only need about twenty off the bench. Yeah, but the thing is I'm looking at it not hey. KD had to play forty one minutes. Eric Gordon played thirty nine minutes. Book played thirty six minutes against Houston.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, who I was they got on that goddamn team. They traded the most people who say, God, you're gonna put ball bowl in, You're gonna.
Speaker 1: Put u wakasambie whatever you're gonna put you to watch nab Come on, oh bow, did get get two minutes?
Speaker 2: Got too many?
Speaker 1: Get god damn two minutes? But they don't have fy one onder the event, so he do you have to play forty one minutes?
Speaker 2: Yeah? That started played a boatload of minutes tonight.
Speaker 1: The only starter didn't play major minutes is Nurkic, and he he played fourteen minutes. But everybody else going with at thirty nine, KD was at forty one, Grayson Allen was at thirty three, and Book was at thirty six. Uh.
Speaker 2: Let's uh.
Speaker 1: The the Rockets a young young team.
Speaker 2: I think they're still the youngest team. I mean, they're really really young.
Speaker 1: What I like, uh Udoka, I think that's the way to say, I would say, ka is ka I may.
Speaker 2: What what what what? I love some goon? Yeah? Someons? Well what what what are the rockets? What are the rockets need? How do the rockets they're they're so, they're so.
Speaker 1: They have a whole bunch of pieces, right, It's like it's like having a whole bunch of clothes but no outfit. Right, figure out how to put it together. And you know, with signing Dylan Brooks and signing Van Fleet, you kind of got some experience with them, but your your focal point where your your future is gonna be Jalen Green, Uh Sun Goon and Jabari Smith. He he ain't giving me enough, right, No, no, no, no, I agree, I agree, I agree, And I don't know if you know, I don't know if saying good and it's taken away from him, but the way he saying going passes it.
Speaker 2: He should be eating.
Speaker 1: He should be eating, you know, in that in that position, and it should open up the court. But you know, right now, I think they're trying to figure out what guys to keep, what guys they can paget, who to play like some of these teams, you know, playing eleven man ten man deep.
Speaker 2: Some of y'all don't got teams like that, right, y'all don't got them type of rosters to be subbing in the tenth man, Right, y'all should get y'all ass whoof putting in number ten? Yeah? I mean you look at this.
Speaker 1: I mean they got guys that played Jake Londale for the Rocket play twelve minutes. Amen Thompson played seventeen with more played played eighteen, Holiday played twenty four. Easton played twenty five. I mean they got and plus that. That's not even the starters. Those are those are the guys that came off the bench, yep. I mean nobody played more than three twenty nine minutes. That was van Fleet and Sengoon. And this is the problem with teams like this, when you got a young team, where's the days where like Alan Iverson right, he averaged forty one minutes for his career. You guys have all the technology, now, you got all the medicine, and you're telling me you're playing less they are.
Speaker 2: Right, Where's where's my.
Speaker 1: Guys where I can like Jalen Green, all my young guys, y'all need to play forty two forty three minutes you need to get these days, Gil.
Speaker 2: That's the problem.
Speaker 1: They got too much technology, they got too much minutes minutes in medicine, because if you look at it, baseball used to have four man rotations and three man rotations. Now you got five man rotations and you got set up men, and you got closes. You see, we know too much and that's the problem. Well it's taxic well Hill it is. It didn't tax the other guys that didn't at tax Steve Cartins elbow, yeah, Gibson, Jenny McClean, guys used to throw.
Speaker 2: I mean, the likelihood of us ever seen.
Speaker 1: I mean, what's the likelihood of us consistently seeing three hundred strikeouts? A guy's pitching three hundred innings, two hundred and fifty eight. I mean, it's not guys, go five to six inning.
Speaker 2: That's it. Turn it over, turn it over to the middle of the bullpen.
Speaker 1: You got middle relief, you got set up, you got somebody to close it out.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 1: So, I think that's what basketball. I mean, Hell, we'll play will play forty eight and a half minutes for an entire season. Now you mind you there's only forty eight minutes in the game. So he played. I mean think about what look at Wilton numbers. Look and guys played like you said, major major minutes forty minutes. I mean Jordan, I mean there were a couple of years. I mean early in Lebron Caerer Lebron played for had a season he played forty one minutes. No, that was common. I don't think the guy's not playing like that anymore, you know what I think it is, And it would make sense from a financial standpoint or as an owner, right where I have someone like a Jalen Green, right, instead of him playing forty three forty four minutes, I play him thirty two to thirty three.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Instead of having him for ten years, I got him for sixteen years of greatness.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: So I think with the time restriction, I think is it's making their careers a little bit longer, so I have the asset longer. And I think that's what it seems like is going on, that they're taking away two minutes to stretch the career out. Okay, you know, but that makes it yet, you know, we have to we have to sit there and ask that why isn't he playing forty minutes and saving ten minutes a game? Adds to your years, right right, you know, but I'm a Scovias coach.
Speaker 2: I need to win. I'm trying to win.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's address what k KD denied, report that he's frustrated. Would said, somebody else feels that I'm frustrated and it turned into me being mentally checked out.
Speaker 2: That is crazy.
Speaker 1: These people can plant outline my name and make it up and you people will believe it. But when my teammates and coaches speak on how I am as a teammate, you ignore it.
Speaker 2: Lol.
Speaker 1: Gil KD. Look at your history. People were reporting that you were unhappy in OKC. You denied that you book it out of town. People say there was some grumblings about you were feeling some type of way that you weren't being looked at and thought of like Clay Stephen and Dramond. You booked it and later came out you was never going to be accepted. There was report that KD might ask for a trade and he was unhappy in Brooklyn in the direction and here you are in Phoenix. So God forbid us from believing what they say when everything that has ever been said about you, for the most part, has turned out to be true. I think the only issue he probably has an issue with is saying he checked out, right, Yeah, Like if I'm if I'm him and I'm reading that, what do you mean check out? I'm imaging thirty at night. I'm giving them my all. I'm coming to work day in and night, day out. Right, Katie is a student of the game, okay, meaning he don't have he don't have life outside of basketball. All he does as y'all can see, you tweet something, He's on it, right, So you tweet right. If I d him at right now, within three minutes, he's gonna look at it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So he's in tuned with everything that's going on, and he's watching games.
Speaker 2: He's probably watching this show, right. Is that a good or bad thing? Good thing?
Speaker 1: The best players, they they're in tune with everything that's going on, and sometimes that in tune, iss is what frustrates you because the rest of your teammates is not in tune with me. So expressing frustration versus being frustrated, it's two different things.
Speaker 2: Right, I can be.
Speaker 1: Mad at the moment in time, but these are my guys right right, Like I'm I'm upset that they're not getting it. Done, they're not working hard and not getting back on D all of that, like when Book said, oh you're gonna turn the ball over and not get back on D. Right, I'm frustrated now, but I'm not frustrated with.
Speaker 2: Who the person is. Okay, right, And sometimes you know.
Speaker 1: This guy might play hard, but I'm frustrating. I'm frustrated at his work ethic, but he performs well, you got you got two different type of elements that that goes on on a team. So I don't think he's frustrated to the point where he wants to trade.
Speaker 2: He's probably frustrated.
Speaker 1: With the circumstances where him and Book that he requested. Yeah, yeah, you requested. But the thing about it is you're worse than you were last year. And that's the frustrating part. But let me ask you a question. What are they gonna trade? They traded all the assets to get him, So what are they gonna What are they gonna What are they gonna The old saying that what you want me to give stuff?
Speaker 2: We'd asked him out what what are we gonna do to get him? Bill?
Speaker 1: We gave up everything, We gave up our future to get Kevin durant, So what we're gonna trade books?
Speaker 2: Don't chev this? H what? What? What are we gonna give up?
Speaker 1: I think the more of the frustration, like if I'm if I'm him, what I'm gonna be frustrated is just.
Speaker 2: Where we are as a team, right right.
Speaker 1: We we were this close last year, this close, right, and we made a trade for Bill. The pieces we made for Bill were pieces that helped. Well, if Bill's not in, those pieces that help were not. So technically we're worse than we were last year. So I think at this point in time, he's like, man, it's December, is about to be January, Bill. We need Bill to come back so we can just prove how good we are.
Speaker 2: And sometimes when you're.
Speaker 1: Under manned and you going out there and everyone's judging you like, yeah, the Suns they look weak this year, and you're like, man, we don't have all our pieces to be great right now. And that's that's a frustrating, frustrating part where you know that that big key is Bill, who's gonna be averaging twenty when he gets healthy, right, But you know, sometime the mistake that people can make is that Okay, he averaged he wants average thirty.
Speaker 2: Kad No can give us thirty. He led the league in scoring four time.
Speaker 1: And we know what book is where we just put all this together just because you put a whole bunch of knife stuff. Look, I like ice cream, I like graybig and chicken. I just don't like it all together. And just because you got three guys that can average thirty, that doesn't mean it's gonna work. Somebody has to be willing to sacrifice. Now, look understand that that that book you're playing in unnatural position. He's not a point either two, but he has to play because they had to give up Chris Paul and I understand that Bradley Beal has been hurt. Kevin and Rant is whatever you need. He doesn't really need the ball. He can get his own. He can play with his back to the basket. He got the heads they pull up, he got the three point shot. You file him, and he's going to the free throw line. He's gonnakno ninety percent of those down.
Speaker 2: But at at some point in time, Gil, you gotta play some defense.
Speaker 1: And the question is when they get to the playoffs, and if they get down by let's say five points, can they get stopped when they absolutely have to have one. That's gonna be the question when we get there, right, is we don't need to play defensive whole game. Just if we're in that time and we need to make that guaranteed stop.
Speaker 2: Can we do it? Are we capable of doing it?
Speaker 1: And that's gonna be something that when the playoffs come, they're gonna have to prove. Those three guys are perfect for each other because they can all do the same thing, which means if I'm a catch and shoot guy and you're a dreamer penetration guy, you can post up. You get we don't affect each other's realm because we all play in different rams. All three can play io, all three can flare, back door, post up, right, So you got three guys that can move around versus if you had someone like Shack right and Tim Duncan on the same court, that's conflict.
Speaker 2: They both want the right block, right, They're.
Speaker 1: Gonna both fight for the right block, and none of them are dominant on the left side. Right right, Now, you got a confliction, and that's what happens with a teams.
Speaker 2: So with these three, it's a great puzzle. Right.
Speaker 1: They just got up you just gotta put them all on the court together and be healthy for twenty twenty something games.
Speaker 2: But did they.
Speaker 1: Factor in over the last several years of Bill's help, did anybody factor that in?
Speaker 2: M You've been hurt, Gil, He's been hurt.
Speaker 1: But listen, most medical staffs are cocky. They think, well, well y'all are y'all not us? You know we can get him healthy. And it's that weird thing. I don't know if you went through it, but I did. When you get injured, you do all this training to get back two games later, back injured, he started getting these random nick knacks for no reason.
Speaker 2: And that's where Bill is. And I say, that's where he got to cheat.
Speaker 1: He gotta he gotta cleanse, cleanse this how. I don't know why he gotta cleanse his house because he just got there. But you gotta cleanse something. Goddamn it. There's something, there's something in your life that's that's that's that's a negative hold onto your chie and you got to cleanse it. You gotta sit there with it. Just start removing people. I don't give fucking it's the dog. Get rid of the dog. If you think the dog is you gotta really like reset, right, because you know these knick knacks, it just keeps linger and linger and Lingeren he comes back. Oh you heard his shoulder come back, hurt his toe, Like there's a reason this happens.
Speaker 2: You're off a line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But you know when you start limping into the season and you get nick during the season, it's hard to get healthy because you come And that's what I tell guys.
Speaker 2: God, how am I supposed to normally?
Speaker 1: When when an average person is injured, they say take time off. Yeah, when you're a professional athlete, you don't get no time about try. They trying to rehab to get you back on the field. As a normal civilion, you're trying to rehab to go back to your normal life. But when you're a professional athlete, you're playing against the top in the world, and it ain't no average It ain't no normal life.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: The worst thing an athlete has against him as his ego. When we're injured, we don't come back to prove we're healthy. We come back to prove we're injured.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Oh, you know, I hope they see me limping and giving it my all. You know, I can go out there and play fifty percent. I can go out there and play eighty percent while I'm sitting there getting booed. Right, Oh, he's washed, he's this, and I'm trying. I'm coming back to prove to you that this was serious versus just getting healthy, and that is our issue.
Speaker 2: Right, we're watching the game. I don't care if it's a month or two weeks.
Speaker 1: We watched the game pass us by. We watch, you know, if I'm a point guard. I watched this guy score thirty. This guy, he's he's ranked in front of me. Now I'm speeding up my process because I want to get I want to get my spot back. So right, I'm limping out here, knees swollen. I don't supposed to be playing. They said ten to twelve weeks. I'm back six to eight weeks. I'm fine knowing damn well, I can't be out here right. Findy ain't good enough because you got to be at the level where you were before you got injured. That's what makes you great. I mean, I don't care. Look, a race car with a flat tire ain't good. I don't care how many horsepower it got, because this not gonna perform like it did if it had four perfectly fine inflated tires.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: So if you come back and you're nick in the slightest, you become very average. An average gets eaten eating in professional sports.
Speaker 2: That's just the way it is. That's just the way it is.
Speaker 1: Unculture J asked one simple question, Uncle gil Win, or if will kd ever be content? I think it's happy asking for too much at this I think happy is asking too much at this point. I look up and I'm expecting this man every seven eight months act for a trade.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I mean, I look, I understand, you know. I don't think I can win a championship in Okay.
Speaker 1: See he went to the perfect situation called a lot of criticism, and I don't think people was upset. I think people were more upset that you joined that team, the team that knocked you out when you had them down three to one, and you say, well that okay. You go there, you win two championships, your finals MVP, you probably would have one a third had your Kilees not gone out.
Speaker 2: And then you move on. You want to go to Brooklyn.
Speaker 1: You you recruit Kyrie or Kyrie recruited you, and you end up in Brooklyn and you're.
Speaker 2: Not having there and for whatever reason, you wanted to move on.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, bro, I mean what I mean, what what if if I were to ask you, because you played this sport and you kind of know him somewhat, you kind of been maybe you've been around him, what's he looking for?
Speaker 2: He's looking to play basketball? That it seems it seems simple right where.
Speaker 1: When you're talking about a guy who I mean, let me see how many scoring.
Speaker 2: Titles KD got? Four? Yeah? Right? And when people ask why he left?
Speaker 1: Right when you're talking about fire and Scott uh for scoring titles you had probably about with ten all NBAS, you had an MVP, you have All Star MVPs, right, eight time All Star, two goal When you're a free agent, the only thing that you don't have on your resume was a ship in the finals MVP. Right, You get those two out of the way. In his mind or just in my mind? What am I proving here? The only thing I'm proving now is get more?
Speaker 2: Right? Do I need four rings? Like?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Am I the greatest small for what? Ever? Am I a second greatest small ford? Ever? Like am I one of the top five? Ever? Like right, I.
Speaker 1: Train, I work out, I train, I go to sleep basketball. Right, I'm out there, you know, putting my heart into it. As I think as players, we can sleep great at night knowing that we give it are all and whatever comes with it comes with it. But I don't really think he's looking for something. I just think he wants to play high level basketball most most most players do the great ones, right, if they're in position to win chips, are gonna go for it.
Speaker 2: Other than that, they just.
Speaker 1: Want to go out there and play hard, and everybody with them going out there and playing hard. Gil you know, going to Golden State hurt him more than it helped him. I understand he got the chips, but unless he gets one without Steph Curry, you already know how this story is going to be written. You know that, And unfortunately I think Kade knows that fair or unfair, right or wrong, but is what it is.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: But when we think of it like that, right, it's not like he can go to a team and he is by himself and try to win a championship.
Speaker 2: Right, But he recruited Kyrie, he had James Harden.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so no matter where he goes in this lead today. There has to be a team up. So when he do win, they're gonna say, well, you got Bill over that got nah. I think the thing is with Steph. I mean, you join a two time, you join a unanimous MVP. And Steph Curry was already at that point in time, the greatest shooter we had ever seen, and so that system and I get it. Okay, I just want to get y'all off my back. Let me go ahead and get these titles. I get these titles. I'll calm it down. No people looking at you, like, Bro, there was twenty nine other teams that you could have joined, twenty eight because you had left. OKC, there's twenty eight other teams, and you mean to tell me you go join the team that had just won seventy three games and just lost in a Game seven in the NBA Finals.
Speaker 2: That was the only team you can find. Okay.
Speaker 1: He's like, look, I'm a free agent. I'm a free agent, and as a free agent, I can go wherever I want to go.
Speaker 2: Fine.
Speaker 1: For whatever reason be it, he had grown board of winning. I mean he said, you just want to play high level basketball? Can you play any high level than the Golden State Warriors and going and being three NBA finals you win to probably would have won a third had he not gotten injured. So where are you gonna go and play higher level than that? So who are you gonna go play with? Other than Lebron or at that time Lebron and Lebron and Katie and step would thought of as the best players in the NBA with Hard and falling up under that. So now who are gonna go play with? Joel Ebi, Nicole Yoki? Now where can he go?
Speaker 2: Now? I don't know where he can go.
Speaker 1: I don't know how he outruns because he had four years. The first year we're gonna disregard that he was rehabbing, but he had three years and he didn't come close. But it's not because of him, right, you know the stuff that went down in Brooklyn, he was there. He did his thing, right, you know, he but we give him credit, But we give him credit for with the Golden State. But that's what I'm saying. We can't say if he loses, it's not because of him. But when Golden State won the titles, it was because of him. But it was because of him White. But why can't he win on his own Why can't he win other than Golden State? The that's that's I think that's the I think that's the question. Gil people want to know if if it was him in Golden State, why.
Speaker 2: Can't he do replicate? What? Why can't he take what he learned and take it somewhere else?
Speaker 1: Because he was he he he was a single player coming to a team atmosphere. He was plugging playing. Now he has to build a team around him where he can just adjust to one person adjust Now when he tried to create a team, everyone has.
Speaker 2: To adjust to everything.
Speaker 1: We can talk about how Kevin Durant going to Golden State was a bad thing. It was the best thing that the league has ever seen, and they do not want to acknowledge it.
Speaker 2: Since Magic and Bird, what was.
Speaker 1: The best duo going against each other in the championship Lebron versus k D. Yeah, but Lebron versus KD, not Lebron versus KD. Steph dre bardy Clay.
Speaker 2: The best, the best small forwards in the game.
Speaker 1: And I don't know why this wasn't looked at like two Titans, the best player in the world versus the second best player in the world. Right one called himself, I'm the best score in the world versus the best player. You had two Titans playing against each other, and we spent our time talking about We spent our time talking about Katie leaving, not realizing what we was witnessing.
Speaker 2: We ain't got no problem with him, leave it now. But what I'm saying, we was witnessing that Kevin Durant.
Speaker 1: And like when we all talk about Kobe, the one thing that we didn't get to see is Kobe and Lebron in the championship again, correct, we got to see Kevin Durant and Lebron go.
Speaker 2: Face to face. Right, we got the Magic and Bird.
Speaker 1: But we're never going to acknowledge this because we was upset that he took the easy the easy way out right. And but I think the thing is when we look at Magic and Bird, magic Handkaree Bird had Michale, he had Worthy, he had Perish, they had Byron Scott, they had dj Or you know. So it was like, Okay, you got for Hall of Famers, we got for Hall of Famers. Okay, you got a coach that's that's going to the hall. We got one that's going to the hall. So I think everybody looked at it as as an even matchup. I don't think anybody thought that the way that Khalimity, even though it was Kyrie and Lebron was gonna be able to beat Golden State with Steph Clay, k D and Draymond, that wasn't gonna happen.
Speaker 2: No, I thought, and I think that. I think that's what that's.
Speaker 1: What the You know, when k D and and and and and Lebron locked horns in Miami and OKC, you're like, okay, you know, okay, Serge Obaka and and uh Chris Bosh, we got Russ d Wade and now k D and Lebron and they had to guard each other. Yeah, I mean they had to guardian. But that was a great match up. But you know, it was young. It was young versus a veteran. And then but when that Golden State Cleveland Cavaliers series got, because you know it was it was gonna be between those two. I wish after they wanted, after Cleveland wanted and Golden State got Kevin Durant, I thought Cleveland should have made a move.
Speaker 2: No, it don't matter. You should have known you was gonna be outgunned. Who you gonna give up.
Speaker 1: First of all, who wanted to come to Cleveland? That was the problem. While Lebron got up out of there or another facts, But at this point looked like j R. Smith was my web. He was Mike Klay Thompson. Right, you know Clay is averaging twenty one, Yes, j R. Smith averaging thirteen?
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, like you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: So right, it was really.
Speaker 2: It was really out matched.
Speaker 1: So from there they should have been in tune with the game and said, Okay, we might need to upgrade a little bit more.
Speaker 2: We're not good enough.
Speaker 1: To try to go back to back right first name, last name said Gil Gil was a great addition, Shannon. Do you remember when you said Katie and Kyrie will potentially play together when they were seeing at the All Star Game talking Katie last out said.
Speaker 2: It was some bs they joined. They joined.
Speaker 1: I just said, I remember, I said, look and I tried and I played him a compliment, I said, kat joining Golden State was like Johnny Gill joining New Edition. Johnny Gil could out sing them all. He know the outstanding career Bobby Brown had. We know what Ralph Transvat did. We knew what bell Bill devout ended up doing once they broke up, but none of them singularly could out sing Johnny Gill. And the reason why Johnny Gill wasn't accepted he didn't grow.
Speaker 2: Up in Boston and Roxbury.
Speaker 1: Yeah, facts, k D was never gonna be And I'm not saying they didn't like him, but Kate, but Steph Clay Draymond came there, They was birthed, they grew up there.
Speaker 2: Although k D.
Speaker 1: Was k D, it wasn't going to be accepted. He called me, Oh, this you don't know what you're talking about. Wow, that's an ignorant thing to say, lady. He get on the podcast, like I was never gonna be accepted, like Katie's death because.
Speaker 2: Bro I said, I said that. But you know we delusion on sometimes, you know what I mean? Come on, just like in our relationship.
Speaker 1: Hey, our boys are the first one to tell us, Hey, your girl cheating on you.
Speaker 2: Ah nah. She never died that. She ain't like that. She ain't like that, right gout to found out she just liked that. Yes, And that's and that's.
Speaker 1: The same that's the same thing. Like we don't want to.
Speaker 2: Believe right that it is this and we have to find.
Speaker 1: Out the hard way. He had to find out on that court when he's.
Speaker 2: Asking for the ball. He had to sit there and go back.
Speaker 1: Back and forth with Draymond Green, and Draymond Green had to let him know.
Speaker 2: We was here before you. We don't need you. That hurt it did? Oh we want to finish that season. Uh.
Speaker 1: I don't know how I can come to work knowing that you really believe that deep down inside?
Speaker 2: Why amos three?
Speaker 1: People will tell you the truth, Gil Drunks, kids and angry people, they gonna tell you the truth. Now see, they'll blame it on I just said thing out of anger. So I was drunk. I didn't know what I was thinking talking about. And kids, you know they say kids say the darnest thing. So I got a way to brush off either one of those.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: But here's the thing, and I'm gonna say something and tell me what you think. If you notice, Draymond Green's behavior is always when he thinks someone is about to replace him as a member of the Big Three. When KD came, it's about to be Kad Stephan Clay, he says what he says Jordan Poole all of a sudden, it's about to be Jordan Poole, Stephan Clay.
Speaker 2: He does what he does. Now, it's gonna be very very interesting to see how they handle Commando because does that rough with dra because.
Speaker 1: Draymond like, I'm a member of the Big three, and Nothing's going to upset that because that's just Look. I could be totally wrong, but there's something to be said for Draymond and the way Draymond has behaved with KD with Jordan Pooh. Now, I don't know, if anything, I have not heard anything about Kaminga, but I did hear what Minga said because hard to kind of play my game because I got to make sure the OG's get the ball. So how do I do what I need to do to show what I can do and still you know, show difference to the Ogs.
Speaker 2: So that's gonna be very interesting moving forward. So Timbo, what you think?
Speaker 1: You know, you know there might be a little territorial you know thing going on with Draymond, right, and you know the one thing you don't want to do is you don't want to be forgotten, right, And you know, sometimes I think, you know, it seemed like the more his game is dwindling, down the more he's acting out. Yes, he knows his time is coming and he's going to be put on that bench. And that's when all the people who don't like him are going to be.
Speaker 2: Able to laugh. Right, I think he's ready for that laughter. The four rings, the four rings don't help that ego at that moment in time. They don't win.
Speaker 1: Whether they don't win, I don't believe they win any of those titles without Draymond. No, but being benched, them four rings don't. They don't mean nothing anymore. I can't see him on your finger with you on the bench. Yeah, now tell me about it. But you can put him on it at the conference where you at the podium. But right at that point in time, and now you give everybody because everybody, oh Draymond is the king of the triple single and they're saying all these things. I think he's a phenomenal player, I do. I mean I think his physicality. Do I think he goes over the line. Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Do.
Speaker 1: I think he's done some things that he didn't need to do. Absolutely. But the problem is is that they didn't check it before. I can't wait to My dog is two years old before I correct him about potting in the house, and then all of a sudden he potted in the house again. I'm like, what are you doing When you didn't correct him when he was a puppy. You let Draymond get out of control. And so now when you don't win, you accepted it when you were winning.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: You you accepted Draymond's behavior when you was winning. And I'm a firm believer, as Mike Shanahan told me in nineteen ninety five, you never accepted anything in a win, you wouldn't have a loss. So if Draymond's behavior is unacceptable when you're losing, it should have been unacceptable when you're winning.
Speaker 2: Because when they say winning masks a lot, it does.
Speaker 1: It masked the undercurrent of what was going on in Golden State that were just in the moment things don't go the way that they think it should.
Speaker 2: Draymond pops his head about the water. Oh yeah, that's that's the thing. It's gonna be real interesting because he was the vocal point. He was the heartbeat.
Speaker 1: And when they decide to say, all right, Kaminga, this is your spot, is the heartbeat gonna stop beating? I think this is one of those things where for the betterment of the team, he's gonna have to pull a rust and he's gonna have to look around and say, all right, I did all I can do. It's time for me to take a back seat and give all my energy to Kaminga and then I can come in back.
Speaker 2: He's gonna have to pull a U D right as long as he as long as he wants his name called.
Speaker 1: At the beginning of the gain Draymond Green, the team dies because he don't have it like he used to. He's not as fast, strong, right, he still got the smart the IQ level is very very very high, right, but he's gonna have to sacrifice and realize the Big three is falling off. Yeah, you're gonna have it. Ain't really no big two because Clay is not the same. Clay can't get first. But Clay ended up going to the bench in the fourth quarter. That'll never been I mean, and and look as we start the age and Clay had two devastating injuries for promison Lam believe he had a mki Lees and an acl and he had him in his thirties and commend him for coming back and playing at the level. But he's not the same step I'm excuse me, the same Clay Draymond is starting to get older. He's not the same, he doesn't move the same, but the behavior. See Draymond needs to understand the toleration until they.
Speaker 2: Can replace you. Yeah, and they tolerated his behavior.
Speaker 1: And because they couldn't replace you now and at some point in time, even though you were the heartbeat and you mean so much to this team, seven points five rebounds in two, three or fourth, siss ain't gonna cut it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, I don't know how. I don't know how.
Speaker 1: I don't know how you it's a it's I feel bad for Steve Kerr because you don't want to mention because Kaminga hasn't taken this spot.
Speaker 2: Correct. But with Kamingo on the floor, he's just a different breed of a guy. Right.
Speaker 1: He gives you something that you guys didn't have, right, Right, a guy who has bounced at the little right, he got his own one on one move. He can create his own shot. He's very aggressive steel, which is surprising. I mean, you've been there for a couple of years. You would think he would have lost his aggression, but he's still assion he has the confidence that he can't be stopped, right, you need that to play out. That is going to be a tough decision for Steve Kerr to say, Draymond, you're starting. I wouldn't. I wouldn't right. I'd be like, Yodre, You're gonna have to come up with the B. I want to see what he's been playing very well since you've been on the bench.
Speaker 2: You know, let's let's let's give me a couple more games.
Speaker 1: You know what, Gil, The problem with Golden State is that a lot of these problems that Andrew Wiggins isn't playing well at the same time Klay Thompson isn't playing well at the same time Draymond Green has suspended. Yeah, so you kind of got you kind of got like a little mini hurricane, a little many earthquake, and a little mini tornado all.
Speaker 2: Together and in one spot.
Speaker 1: And the problem is, and this is why being the third option feels amazing, because nobody's paying attention to you, No old one, No one is talking about Wiggins playing horrible.
Speaker 2: And he bit and he's been good and terrible. Yeah, and and and it's it's weird like when you're that third option when you don't have no.
Speaker 1: Pressure on you, you get to go out there and be trash without any pushback.
Speaker 2: Right, No one's going to write about you, No one cares. Right. So the fact that Draymond is being blamed.
Speaker 1: For what's going on in Golden State, it kind of let us know how important he was then to the winning. Yes, yes, absolutely, And people that don't believe that he was important to women winning is in that fact that you don't really like draymona you don't really understand the importance of what he brought to that ball club.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you just can't measure everything.
Speaker 1: By points, rebounds and assists because he does a lot of the dirty work. Everybody can't be the bank president. Somebody got to be the security guard. Somebody got to be the cashier. Somebody got to be the custodia. Somebody got to clean that place up at night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he stops light security, all right.
Speaker 1: Arvernham calls our cam reddish and Jared Vanderbilt can't be confused with can't be confused with the ball Ham said, I was just I'm just not I'm not I just think not allowing it to be stacked to stagnate us if they're trying to play off. Cam got to step up with confidence or eat up space on the drive, collapse the defense. Once he touches the bank drive, find the open man. Same thank for vandal ball. Hears him and he just can't hold it. Be confused.
Speaker 2: He called them out and not himself. You put them Sorry, motherfucker's in the game.
Speaker 1: Nobody told you to sub a dude who averages one point five and put him.
Speaker 2: As a starter.
Speaker 1: Right, that's that show, like when you're gonna take responsibility for the lineups you putting out, like you have the the Lakers starting five the way it was, they were only averaging eighty two points as a starting five, which is low.
Speaker 2: Right, you sub Lebron and Ad averaging fifty.
Speaker 1: So the rest of your team that, like the rest of your starters, is only putting up there. That is a low starting five. Eighty two points is low. Now you sub in Van and take out Russ, which pushes you down to sixth. It's the eight points a game, just to show you how bad that is. The worst team in the NBA, the Detroit Pistons, they're averaging sixty nine. You know, they're averaging seventy three points as a starting five. So the Detroit Pistons starting five is better than the Lakers starting five right now, and per point production, what.
Speaker 2: What defense are you looking for?
Speaker 1: Ain't nobody you need to be in order for them to justify the defense is like, oh, they're supposed to be defensive guys. They need to be Dennis Johnson. They need to be Alvin Robertson, they need to be they need to be Dennis Rodman of somebody, somebody on the ball like that.
Speaker 2: But you can't. You cannot give me one point.
Speaker 1: Let's just say Vando gives us two, three, and cam Reddi gives us. Say come on, bro, that's not enough. Eleven points and we got got and you're playing twenty five to thirty minutes three and eight points is not enough. It's just not you got three got Like a d is a defensive player, Lebron is defensive player, but he's thirty nine. I got enough defense to put all offense, right. I have guys who can block shots to put enough offense out there.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: This is crazy because their losses, they scored ninety four points one on one, ninety four, one on nine, one oh eight, one ten, one eleven one fifteen. You're not you can't score right, you're not moving fast enough with the units you have. You know what, this reminds me of what he did right here reminds me of the two thousand. It was a two, is it the twenty twenty? The two thousand?
Speaker 2: The twenty twenty Clippers team where they.
Speaker 1: Use this is the deepest team. They got the deepest bench. Yeah, you got the deepest bench. You'll start in five? Was sorry at shit right starting five? You had what could you break? Yeah, cause you break, you bring your sweed low and trails, and they they played. They playing more minutes at reserves than you started.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got it. Pat Kawaian PG, you.
Speaker 1: Got forty points coming off the bench with two players. Of course your bench is deep. So your bench was number one in the NBA in scoring. You're starting five was twenty fifth. You're averaging sixty nine points because you got Zubab, Pat, Bev and Mo who's averaging seven, eight and five.
Speaker 2: You're not deep. You got four players. Five, You got four players. That's it. You're just trying to trick the two of them come off the bench. Yeah, you're trying to take two starters. Put them off the bench.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we got this this deep team, because you know in the NBA, it's hard to blow a team out in the first five six minutes, right, so you know at the six minute mark you can sub in your two and then get the rolling and let these guys get a little bit of minutes.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Oh you did, good boys, Now go sit down and let the real players get in. I hate, I hate, I hate lineups like that, right, you trying, you're just trying to trick like your team is good, but knowing damn well, if a team got old note and oh in the first one minute of the game, get you all glasses out, tread get your classes in, right, and that happens. That happened a couple of times. But I have to have a balanced team. And the fact that you have Ruy, Austin and Russell coming off the bench, like, oh yeah, we got you know, forty some points coming up the bench.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got forty something coming up the bench.
Speaker 1: But you're starting five is only scoring sixty points, right, you got Lebron James and in Ad scoring fifty, and you got the other three guys they're putting in ten Like the stop stop these dumb ass lineups. Yeah, because and hair is the thing, and you tell me these guys, but they still can't stop dribble penetration. Guys will still getting pass vando, you're still getting past camp and they're kicking the ball to the corner for wide open threes. So if if you're supposed to be a defensive guy, if you're not gonna get hair, if I'm out an offensive guy, and this is why I approached it a gil when I played football, I've got to be more of an asset in the passing game than I am a liability in the run game. Yes, So in other words, if you are a liab, you've got to be a.
Speaker 2: Tremendous asset in the defensive end.
Speaker 1: If you're a liability on the offensive end, if you're a basketball player, and right now you're a liability on both. So if basically you're becoming unplayable because I don't know how you play, guy's gonna give me two points and then he's letting guys get passing and I got to slyly ad and the guy's passing the ball and the guy's laying it up or some help gotta come.
Speaker 2: And he's kicking it to the corner. Rob, What are you doing?
Speaker 1: I never, I never understood that, And it's weird because I would love to ask a defensive coach why they put these lineups in.
Speaker 2: I'm an offensive player. I bread offense, right.
Speaker 1: The worst player that I wanted to see was so one like me that I had to guard you. Right, you're gonna you want to face me Patrick Beverly's whoa, Oh, it's trouble for you, homeboy, because you're only You're here to play defense, not offense. So I'm resting half the time. I'm giving you my all. That means it's like boxing, right, I get to punch you, but you got your hands tied.
Speaker 2: I get to punch on you while your hands sighed.
Speaker 1: The fact that you you gonna take three four shots a game?
Speaker 2: Why am I paying attention to you?
Speaker 1: That is the easiest night for me because there's no way you're gonna stop me from taking twenty thirty shots. But I don't have to give you no effort on the defense I get, I get to say, and the worst player I wanted to play with someone scoring like me because he's embarrassing me now right, So if I'm playing against the Lakers, and I'm Trey Young. Hell y'all, I want to play against Cam all day. You ain't embarrassing me at you ain't doing nothing. You just get to play defense all day. And I don't understand why they put these lineups out there, because you're you're helping the offensive team, because you're you're handicapping yourself. You're playing three on five on offense or two on five on offense. Right, and you're not good enough. The rules aren't made. My offense of book is one hundred times better than any rules you can put in. And that's the difference in today's game. Back then, it was sixty forty defense to offense. Right, you know, you dribbled a certain way. You only had a certain amount of moves. Now the moves today, I can hold it a little bit, I can do either my creer. So now it's basically ninety to ten. There's no rule they can put in that hand checking all that them to what people talk, ain't no hand checking that can stop these moves today and p in progress that is that is that is trash, all of them.
Speaker 2: It was trash when it was in and you got soap.
Speaker 1: I mean guys can shoot the ball better, and guys can handle the ball better. You got two or three guys on every team that can make you look stupid handling the ball. Everybody got that. Everybody got that pool. Yeah, everybody got their heads. Okay, I'm going to and one. I mean, how many guys we see that? Everybody doing that? I mean guys like who the who the l you? Where you with that move from? So the likelihood if you breaking somebody? Oh he's a defensive stopper, he goes, Man, them guys are too good, They too.
Speaker 2: Skilled too that it's it's you you.
Speaker 1: If I want to hunt a lion, I need a lion, because zel ain't going.
Speaker 2: He ain't going. He lunched me.
Speaker 1: He goes, yeah, exactly, He's lunched me. It's weird, right, d Loo said he wanted to be Derek White. We all laughed, Please be Derek White.
Speaker 2: God damn it.
Speaker 1: I beg you to be Dereck White now because Derrick White didn't want to just be a liability. I'm just a defensive player. Right there, you go in Boston, now, right, you got you know, you got the unicorn over there, which added extra offense. Right, Yes, you would have you would have thought that Derek White would be more of a defensive player because you don't need to score. He upped his scoring up. Yes, Yes, and that's what the Lake, that's what the Lakers need, d lo. I need you to up your production, not doc ress right right then you put up and up not because if you put pressure on the opposing team, I mean maybe it takes some of that zap out of them and they're not able to.
Speaker 2: Give you that work. Listen when you when you're trying to score.
Speaker 1: My my, my one thing that I always went into games when when I had to play against AI, when I had to play against Steve Francis, when I had to play against Maulberry, I'm coming at you first. I'm gonna come at you so hard that it makes you not want to play offense, thinking that if you don't shoot, I don't shoot. NBA players really think that's the thing. But if I don't shoot against him, he won't shoot against me. Okay, that's your fault. And what I did when we start off the games and I was playing against the high level guards, the Steve Nashes, I'm trying to give them buckets early to set the tone.
Speaker 2: I can't let Steve.
Speaker 1: Nash come and pick me to death. If you look at my games with Steve Nash, I made him a score. Like when you look at our matchups against Steve Nash, he wasn't having fifteen to seventeen.
Speaker 2: As sists thirty forty.
Speaker 1: Like, you're gonna have to match me point fer point if you want to keep up, You're not gonna be able to try to sit there and get your guys. I'm scoring too fast. Makes you want to score too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's kind of like, you know, I gotta take some of that zapp Like my grandma just say, okay, y'all stay out all night.
Speaker 2: You're going to church in the morning.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you not. You not fit the lag back there? If they ate, Oh uh uh, I'm gonna give you bucket. You're gonna get this. You gotta make them work, and uh that's not happening. So it's gonna be very interesting to see what is starting line out look like tomorrow. The Laker players are reportedly frustrated with Darvin Ham's decision about starting lineup and their role. Frustration with players rolls and fluctuating minutes uncertainly regarding their roles and inconsistency and playing time. The communication gap between player between coaching staff and players appears to be widening, with players expressing confusion over the mixed messages they received. Reports say criticism has been directed at Ham's lineup choices and rotation, particularly perceived inconsistency and handling struggling struggling players. Some players, like Austin Reeves, D'Angelo Russell, Ruy Hachimura reportedly face shorter leashes than when incounter difficulties, while other players or in France, Cam Reddish, enjoy longer leashes despite struggles on the court. We saw that they had no problem putting Austin Reeves on the bench. Remember he's struggling to start the season. Yeah, well, we talked the All Star and you know, we felt it would be bad for him to come out the bench.
Speaker 2: Okay, what about the mother guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but him was a defensive player, I think, right, I don't know he was on the bench when I was playing. He didn't get in the game, but most likely he was a defensive player. One of those guys that hustled it and that's his mindset. Yeah, right, you got a little bit of in you and you looking for it on the court, like these guys played the right way. Well, it's not the right way if they're not winning. Right, of course, Austin, Reeves, Rue and D'Angelo would be mad. They're your offense. So seeing this two or three shots, you put them on a bench. These guys don't even take three shots and they're playing right, So now you got Now what ends up happening is you start you start looking at the guys as enemies instead of teammates. Yeah, okay, right, you start footing the division inside the locker room because they're getting minutes that they haven't earned.
Speaker 2: Right, he took three shots, he did.
Speaker 1: This, and he plays thirty minutes, And now what does that do to someone like D'Angelo? Right, Oh, if I don't do nothing, if I don't shoot, if I don't make no mistakes, I play longer.
Speaker 2: Right, Because that's what he's doing with this guy. Right.
Speaker 1: The fact that at this point in the season, you're still having fluctuation problems, letting you know, you don't know what's going on right now, you're still trying to find stuff instead of building on that that that championship mid season, in season mid season, whatever the season beginning of the season, right, you're supposed to be building competent that was supposed to boom boom boom boom.
Speaker 2: And take it right, you have Rui, Rui and di'angelo.
Speaker 1: Should be starting, or Reeves and Cam and Cam and Prince Bo should be started. No North Van Doo, No hell no no, those three, two of those three should not be started. Did I didn't even I didn't even look at him as a starter. That that that that that looks like a friend hook up. You lost the bet. He looked like you lost the bet. Like all right, off, you know, like I put him in right right, He's not He shouldn't even be playing minutes right now.
Speaker 2: They weren't warned, they weren't earned. Right.
Speaker 1: You can't just say all right, we're gonna go from averaging one and put me in. And I'm sitting there, I'm also like, wait a minute, Matte, I'm averaging fifteen points a game, fifteen and you ain't even me. Yeah, you ain't thinking about me as a starter. What's wrong with you? That happens?
Speaker 2: Like you're getting minutes. Think about it.
Speaker 1: You're getting minutes that you didn't deserve, and you think I'm cool with it.
Speaker 2: No, because I'm watching.
Speaker 1: There's not one time that Jared Vanderbilt a shot a shot outside and it's done two minute that I actually thought it was going in be I'm watching on television or I'm actually sitting at the game.
Speaker 2: Not one time does he shoot a shot and I'm like, oh, man, that's good.
Speaker 1: So even when he laid the ball, even when when he'd like driving the ball or you go flip it up left handed.
Speaker 2: I like, so, what is this man doing? No defense?
Speaker 1: Looking at Lebron, looking at Anthony Davis, I got the night off.
Speaker 2: Nah, No, your job. Your job isn't the funnel.
Speaker 1: Your job is to d up because you give us nothing offensively. Like I said, you've got whatever it is. You got to be a bigger asset than a liability. So he has to be a bigger asset on the defensive end, because we know he's a liability on the offensive end.
Speaker 2: But if he gives us nothing on either, now, all of a sudden, he's no good.
Speaker 1: If you wasn't playing him at the beginning of the season, there was a reason. Don't play his ass now because you feel you need to change shit up. No, you need to get everybody thinking the right way. You need to get everybody in tune with what their game is. You think d Angelo is coming off the bench to this guy and you think he's happy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like Cam, You putting Cam on the bench, what's that gonna do? He gonna get he give you five? We're gonna give you five coming off the bench, like I'm not losing nothing there?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: That is something that that that that that bleeds a locker room where you're looking at somebody in front of you that ain't him, right, so you ain't cheering for him?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: You put a guy in that can't shoot the ball. He's and I'm sitting here. We sitting here like a you know we're gonna play team ball, Like right, you start, you start Ruie or Austin, You start Russell or Austin. Trust me, their production is gonna get better because you that they should have a six, show confidence in them. The fact that you don't there shouldn't be. You shouldn't be at this place right now. You shouldn't be right here right now. This is this is horrible unless unless they putting Vandy in because they need to trade him, show him he's healthy. That that's the thing. That's the thing right there, the fifteen coming up well, and showed him he healthy. All right, he heard that. Look at it, Look about that.
Speaker 2: Look at him. Tell y'all he liked.
Speaker 1: He liked that car we got, you know, we want to get we want to sell it. So I went driving it everybody to see his operational Then I'm gonna go put it right back up to eight steak to for sales side then in tomorrow.
Speaker 2: And that's what this play looks like. It looks like.
Speaker 1: They want to They want to show that because there's no way as a coach you're gonna take a guy who's averaging one point finding insert him in the starting lineup and he don't even get no minutes.
Speaker 2: All play is.
Speaker 1: I want to show him off so I can package him. Yeah, because you know Vando was hurt at the start of the season. I think he had a foot injury or he has some kind of injury to start the season. But for whatever reason, man ay they got to get more production.
Speaker 2: They need more.
Speaker 1: They need more than five points three points two points from him. Taurrian Prince is like here the mess, but okay, he does. I mean, look, more times than not, I feel come with him shooting the three ball. But like I said, we don't need all three of them.
Speaker 2: Man, I'm sorry. I come from I come from a time.
Speaker 1: Where I did shoot half our threes. Right, we shot fourteen threes a game. I shot seven of those. There's no way in the game where I'm playing on the court where he gets to take thirteen threes.
Speaker 2: Who tore your friends? Hell no, you'd have been seeing it out.
Speaker 1: I'm not getting this mofug out of here. Coach, ain't no way out of gat. Hey, hey, what was ZU doing? If this is not your job? If you're not sitting in there, like, what do you think about ray Allen didn't shoot these many threes? No, right, you're not Steph or Clay Kad don't even shoot these type of threes. So for you to shoot these type of threes, you better be sitting in the practice facility or the gym shooting thousands of shots. And if they get mad that I said they shouldn't be shooting, I would bet any type of money if we shoot a hundred threes right now, I will blow them out. You are you are a shoot guy that curly. You're talking about those three guys that are shooting on the Lakers right now, you get them. I wouldn't even come on them. I'll shoot one hand against them. The Lakers, Oh, they want the one hand. You're gonna have to be. You're gonna have to be a real shooter for me to eat footbath my hands on the ball.
Speaker 2: I take three hundred shots a day.
Speaker 1: Still, I take three hundred shots, and I'll wake up four thirty five and I go out there and take my shots. It's just in me, so I can't look. I can't see a player, and I'm sitting here, like, what do you do when you in practice?
Speaker 2: What do you do?
Speaker 1: Are you working on your shot? How are you not marksmen? You know you got one job. One one job. That means if practice starts at eleven, hey, you cam, you prints, get in the gym eight o'clock, you shoot nothing but threes from these spots from eight to eleven. Then we have ten practice. Then after take one more hour of shooting more threes, and then that needs you to come back later on tonight and shooting more threes. That should be your job. You should be a marksman. When I pass it, to you. I everybody should be turning around. We all turn around, put our hands because we know that's in. But what are you doing going to you? Just coming in practicing, get fifty fifty something shots up and think you good?
Speaker 2: Think you golden?
Speaker 1: Nah? Man, Like there was a year where I took one hundred thousand shots in the summer because the calculation was, shit, I'm only shooting about thirty some percent. For me to go up another percent, I gotta shoot about one hundred thousand shots to move up one percent. I shoot one hundred thousand shots. That's how the calculation wins. When you look at the Steph Curry's and stuff like that, man they shooting.
Speaker 2: I watched Steph.
Speaker 1: I watched Steph take four hundred shots in twenty two minutes.
Speaker 2: Moving and that was the warm up. Wow, Warner, that was just to show the.
Speaker 1: Crowd this is what I do. Ended that and then worked out for two hours. So he took about fifteen hundred shots that day.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: The mayor of fact that you know, Steph has to be because Steph has to like, it's different for him because he's a perpetual motion. So there's very few chances, there are very few times that he's getting a wide open three. Yeah, coming off a pig, he's back hutting and he's flaring, but he's still constantly moving. I don't better look here. It's something when you get tired. Now, fatigue will make cowards of us. All for him to be able to shoot that shot after you know, playing twenty five thirty mint, Okay, start the game, we get a gill, but he moving like that throughout the entirety of the game, and in the fourth.
Speaker 2: Quarter, he's in impeccable shape. Right. That that that that shape separates him.
Speaker 1: Like when we talk about the greatest shooter, right, if we told everyone to shoot one hundred shots, right, one hundred threes, right, it could be close from Yes, I believe that Charay Allen a Reggie mil REI Miller.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, he's we can say he's the best shooter. He's the best shooter because he was the best conditioned.
Speaker 1: So his first quarter looked like his fourth quarter while the rest of those shooters were tiring out.
Speaker 2: Yes, he's at a ninety.
Speaker 1: You know, stamina level, so he was consistent throughout, So he looked like he was the better shooter because he's in shape the whole thing versus I mean, you know, I'm thirty minutes and I'm sitting here like, oh, can we get some water? And he's that's the key to all of it. Being in shape. You be the best shape of your life. Like when I say life, I mean like you run in the three four miles when you don't play the game just to get the extra cardio win.
Speaker 2: You have to do a lot of stuff to be great. Right. Grizzlies are four and oh with Jah.
Speaker 1: The Grizzlies went six to nineteen with our job because he started the season serving that twenty five game suspension. They're now four and oh with the Western Conference Player of the Week on the court. After pulling off a come from behind win over the New Orleans on Tuesday, The Memphis Grizzlies trailed by fourteen in the fourth quarter and chipped away at the lead into the final seconds of the game.
Speaker 2: Joh did this celebration.
Speaker 1: I guess it's a New Orleans dance called pistols and Bazuka.
Speaker 2: They're separate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, what I'm being told now, they're saying it's two separate things. They say it's the New Orleans dance and it's not the celebration pistols and Berzuka and bazukah.
Speaker 2: I just say that.
Speaker 1: When I was showing, I was saying, you know, it's the New Orleans dance. It is not pistols in bozuka. Now, yeah, it's the New Orleans thens that just happened to have.
Speaker 2: Like it makes you.
Speaker 1: It made it like, I know, like he's gonna irritate the older group, but it.
Speaker 2: Kind of got a like as a.
Speaker 1: As someone who thrives on being petty, right, he can't help himself, right, right, I mean honest, like right now without the celebration. I call him Jahwick because that's what he reminds me of, like they killed.
Speaker 2: His dog, right, he going through and he going.
Speaker 1: Through teams like they killed this man doll, right, And it's phenomenal.
Speaker 2: It's phenomenal what he's doing. It shows you how great he is. And he's so and.
Speaker 1: He's young, right, and I know we're gonna nobody want to hear.
Speaker 2: Her excuses of he's young, but he is a kid.
Speaker 1: He's in the culture where it's the dance culture, right, Like if you look at Westbrook and the dances he was doing during those Okay, See he's no different. Just the music he listens to got those type.
Speaker 2: Of reactions to it.
Speaker 1: And when he's doing his dunks and he's feeling great, that's when he's showing in like this is not coming from an angry place. Like where we're looking at what he's doing, it's not coming from an angry place. Everything he's done is coming when he's actually happy.
Speaker 2: But it's this it's a weird one.
Speaker 1: Because it's the culture when they're dancing and they're doing this coming from a happy spot, not an angry spot. And I don't think no one's separating the two. They just see, oh pistols and he threw the bazooka at us right right, and and that's that's gonna be the problem, right.
Speaker 2: And I don't think optics, huh, you know, it's optics.
Speaker 1: You know, in this situation with him, he got suspended for gun it was he was you know, he got you know, had it one time and he went in with the commission and he saw the commission. He never put himself in that position again. Then a couple of months later he was in that again. I think it's just the optics of it. Uh. But like you said, I mean, I guess the only dance that he know how to do have guns add them things on him.
Speaker 2: So it is what it is.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I'm laughing because as soon as you see that, I was like, oh shit, there you go again. He just can't you know, you dunk on you.
Speaker 1: But I'm just I'm just glad that, like I'd rather see him still having his mental intact, yeah, versus seeing some watered down version.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: And as the organization of the Grizzlies, I know, I know deep down inside they happy as hell.
Speaker 2: One.
Speaker 1: You got one of the future stars of the NBA. You have an impact player, you have a player that you can sell to your audience. You got a matter discounted rate, right, those twenty five games was perfect for you to get him for forty million dollars cheaper, right, you say forty million dollars with those antics, So in your mind you don't care because you got it's like getting iverson. It's like you know what I mean, It's like getting the I It's like getting the bent lea for twenty percent off. Right, You're not gonna complain. You're not gonna complain. And and that's and that's what it is with joh and you know he's at the he's at this this point though, he's at this point where it's a god mode thinking my team was so trash without right, you're trash without me, and y'all some losers without me. I come back with phone and though I done hit two game winners, I'm that man. If he don't, if he don't settle, if he don't really look at himself, his ego can be bigger than it was before, of course, And and the issue is going to be now that he's injuring that gods zone thought process where he needs to protect himself more because now you're four and oh you go five.
Speaker 2: And O you you you you? What's the aime of the month? You you make the All Star game?
Speaker 1: Oh they go, we gotta come get you, said some girls this way we need him to do like you know, And this is where now he needs because he has this chance where they opened the door for you to come back in without any penalty penalty. Right, we penalize you, but we got you a lean slavery. You can come back and get your crown back. And I think he's to really think about where he's at and what he can accomplish. He can get more than he lost if he plays this right, because the team is horrible without him, and if he can get this team to the playoffs, he can make that All Star team. He's the dude the gift of Gab asked, what do you think about Memphis going after Andre Drumming or Busovich from Chicago or one of these big from the Pistons, bones holand from the Clippers.
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 1: I mean, because obviously there were a different team without with Big Adams.
Speaker 2: And him going down. You know, he missed the last half of the season.
Speaker 1: They thought he was gonna be able to come back, but he ended up having to have surgery again and he's gonna miss the entire season. What do you think about going out and getting a Busovitch getting an Andre Drummond? I mean that means you got to trade, right, If you're just trying to replace one guy, and you're trying to replace an enforcer, a hard.
Speaker 2: Body down there, then you might want to go after Dwight Howard.
Speaker 1: Right that that is the only player that is cheap, right, cheap, willing to to come in for pennies on a dollar And because he's been out of the NBA and it looks like he's being left behind. He's gonna accept whatever role you give him, right. You know he's going to be in shape, right. You know he's gonna play defense, right, He's gonna he's gonna come to practice. He's gonna be a professional. And if you need him to come in there and check some players, he can do that, right. And you don't have to break up your team to go out there and get those guys. Right, you can just sign as a free agent. When Adams comes back, you can cut him if you want. Well, Adam then coming back this year, so you MA, you'll probably geld have him on the and he'll be just what Adams was. I believe if you played him, say twenty five twenty seven minutes, I believe he can give you the kind of rebounds that Adams give you. Oh yeah, he'll give you a double double. Yeah, because you know he'll give you a double double. He's gonna get physical. He's gonna get physical down there, and that's going to open up a lot of stuff for Jahn Moran because now you have a real enforcer down there where no one is going to be trying to hit you right, and you know that's the one guy I see without you can without breaking up what I have, because what I have right now is four and oh right, because when I look at it, I think Dwhite Howard, even at his age, is still more athletic than Steven Adams.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, facts, facts, facts, So I think that that would be a good move.
Speaker 1: Jylen Brown like likes a tweet pushing back at Ud your Donna's Haslam comments on Bill Russell. Haslam apparently said f Russell after the NBA announced the league wide jersey retirement for the Legendar's Celtic star. Haslam said, tell me when you're gonna see Miami heat jersey hanging in Boston, said HASLM.
Speaker 2: I have to repent. I had.
Speaker 1: I had to repent that I love Bill. No disrespect to Bill.
Speaker 2: I love him.
Speaker 1: Will you ever see a jersey hanging in the Boston rafter? Why you know what he got to hang in there?
Speaker 2: U D.
Speaker 1: You know, I like you D, But I think the thing is what UD is feeling to miss miss. What he's missing is sometimes a player is so good and so great they transcend the sport because he's more than just a basketball player. It's kind of like Jackie Robinson. Jackie Robinson, they retired forty two league wide because he transcended the sport. Was he the best player in baseball? No, but what he did should never be forgotten. Bill Russell was the same way what he went through, even in Boston as he was winning all those titles. At that summit, I think it was sixty seven in which the Summit in Cleveland happened, he was there. Bill Russell is a civil rights icon. Muhammad Ali is Mamahammed Ali the greatest boxing. No, but he transcends the sport, and sometimes when they play, when a person is transcendental, I mean, whatever is bestowed upon him.
Speaker 2: It's worthy.
Speaker 1: Bill Russell having his number retired across the league, it's worthy. Jackie Robinson having his number required retired across baseball, it's worthy. So I don't and I get I think he was just looking at it, like, man, he's from Boston. But you have to look at the other stuff. Hey, the basketball is the thing. Obviously, he had to be great at basketball, but it's the other things.
Speaker 2: Is the reason why he's hanging across everywhere. Uh, when it's playoff times and we beating the enemy. We don't care about what you transcended. We're trying to get out of this series.
Speaker 1: And I got to tell my team whatever I have to tell them to get over this hump.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: These two teams been battling for the last three four years, right right, and no matter what.
Speaker 2: They trying to do.
Speaker 1: When I see that number at this point in time up there while we're playing.
Speaker 2: This team, I don't, I don't. I don't care what this history is. We're trying to get out of this series.
Speaker 1: We're trying to get to the championship, and that Boston jersey, that legacy is in our way.
Speaker 2: Right. How about this here?
Speaker 1: You do realize the Miami Heat retired Michael Jordan's number, So why he ain't say f emj because they ain't playing Chicago Bulls. They playing Chicago Bulls. I mean Pat Rowley retired that fame before number six. Nomber what I'm saying. He said, ain't nobody should wear twenty three? What I want twenty three. But they're now playing Chicago Bulls. In the playoffs, they played you if you look it up at the RAF through the word about what in Boston was hanging across your arena, you already be.
Speaker 2: But who won? Uh huh?
Speaker 1: So it worked whatever the speech was, whatever the speech was, who won? They gag but don't but you gotta remember that. You gotta remember the Miami Heat. They lost that game and the arena they had to go back to the I guess they still call it the guard the TV banks, the TD TV banks. I think it's TD Banks. So they had to end up having to win there. But like like I said, I just think the thing is is that if you understood uh uh, it's kind of like, you know Cleveland, you understand what Jim Brown because he was we know he was a historical figure as far as running the football, but it was what he did, uh in the civil rights movement that gave him the added credence and and and and and the cachet.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I don't think.
Speaker 1: I don't think when when U D was, when he did hit that speech, none of that really mattered to him, Right, He's just trying to figure out as a guy to to get these guys over the hum to really try to put some type of fire into them. Right in times like that, like there there's times where we being you know, we got like Larry Hughes, right, were playing Larry, and we got speeches that have him.
Speaker 2: He left us boom boom. We got to go in and say it like how we felt.
Speaker 1: But we we got to show each other that we're willing to do whatever it takes to get through this hump, right, and if Larry's in our way, Larry's in our way, and.
Speaker 2: That's that's really you know what that that speech was.
Speaker 1: We're just hearing about it now, right, Wait a minute, you can't say.
Speaker 2: That well to get them to do what he needed to do.
Speaker 1: I mean, Jalen, if y'all should have got over Game seven, y'all should have.
Speaker 2: Said, that's them, right. I think it's a saying.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you've heard about this girl, but there's a situation where Sean McDermott, the head coach of the Buffalo Bills, he used a reference about nine to eleven and it ended up getting out and he had to apologize, he had to walk it back. And I think this was a situation because, like you said, doing a pregame speech or you trying to get somebody motivated.
Speaker 2: You see a lot of stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, still a lot of stuff, but sometimes like as ass fans or whatever, like, you can't take everything for what it is. Like this hell is a different time now, Gil, it's a different time, Gil. The stuff, the stuff that we would say in the locker room and y'all sit in the locker room.
Speaker 2: That ain't gonna fly now. Yeah, no facts, Hey, you gonna get canceled. You can get it.
Speaker 1: You'll get canceled. Yeah, And you understand that. And you have to be able to you have to be able to maneuver. But the thing is, but now everybody's offended about everything, and that's and I think that's the problem with sports, is that the fact that every group of willing to cancel is the reason why everyone's reluctant to have certain type of groups inside the organization, right, because if something happens right, that's natural how we talk and how we prep each other, and you're canceling me, then it's easier for me not to accept that person.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: We won't we won't say we're discriminating, but we are right. But that is easier versus you canceling me for saying something inappropriate. Uh Zion got a chest tattoo. I want to know I thought that was you busting out there, just gorilla. Man, Man, you know, Goodwill, I got no stomach like that. I don't know where you got that from.
Speaker 2: It's just.
Speaker 1: I just want to know what thay, Gil, who go tell him? If is not centered?
Speaker 2: I listen, listen. Maybe it's supposed to be a little over the heart. Maybe that was the way it was a zion, a little over the heart.
Speaker 1: Uh, but I want a zion, man, come on, man, right, like, like I get the concept right, you want to put uh.
Speaker 2: What was that a real name? Harambi?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you got Harambio on your chest, man. But the belly is what stopped me. Man, I'm like, it reminded me of what Steven They said. Man, he was at the Freto line and he's belly getting the bouncing. As soon as I seen him with his shirt off, that's all I looked at, Like Stephen as right, that was.
Speaker 2: Mad. Look, I mean you got the tattoos, Gil, whole body.
Speaker 1: I got corporate tax. I coined it. I called it corporate tax. That's where I like tattoos. But to get my corporate sponsors, not on my nazia, none of my sleeves days. Yeah, yeah, so so, so I have tats all in where where the jersey covers everything right right, So I called it corporate task where I.
Speaker 2: Like the tattoos, couldn't see them. They was just not going to score corporate. I'm not going to score.
Speaker 1: Uh scare corporations off packs from having me a part of their brands.
Speaker 2: Uh flip. Saint Felix asked, no question.
Speaker 1: Got I just wanted to say, Shannon and Gil, you guys are killing the game and watching y'all dominate this media is beyond inspiring.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you. We appreciate the support.
Speaker 1: Doctor Shark Monk said, do NBA NFL players a boy getting intimate having sex before big game like boxers do for weeks or half French legs? Hell no, I don't know if I give them. Hell no, hey, the board nothing. I mean we're in the hotel night before a game. So it makes it a little bit more difficult because we have security at the elevators, we have security at the end of the hall, so ain't nobody I mean once we have and we have bad check. So once we have bad check, I mean they locked it down. But hell no, weeks man, you I ain't no boxes. I mean, I understand they go up to Big Bear or they go to you know these places, and they in training camp.
Speaker 2: For six eight weeks and then hell not hell to the now.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna try to shake the covers Friday night because I know I'm about to be locked down on Saturday. No, but look, I can only speak to me, guy Shark monk that when you ask, I don't know whatever NBA players.
Speaker 2: I don't know what any.
Speaker 1: NFL players do. Maybe some do, maybe some don't, But no, I didn't. I'm not going those six weeks or once the season start going without sex.
Speaker 2: That ain't gonna happen.
Speaker 1: I mean Friday, I mean twenty four hours, eight hours, that's all I got for you. Do we leave communication with Gil? I think we lost Gil lost Gil lost the signal headquarters. You got us many'll y'all stop. That man ain'tbody to get no tattoo or no cheeseburger. He ain't getting no neck bone on his neck. Come on, now, y'all, y'all do it too much chat, y'all wrong for this. The man got a tattoo, Okay, he wanted the tattoo on his body. It's a hard and I think it got like as a silver back in the in the center of the cross. I'm a reader. If Gil joined us back, we're gonna we'll go back and revisit that question. WD asked Thunk and Gill what y'all think about Rashid Wallace isn't an NBA two K because they only wanted to pay best ten thousand to be in the game. He won one hundred and twenty five thousand, but they refused to pay it. Two K makes hundreds of million a year. I get it because we're in the same situation, and but I think it's nice that I'm a part of the game, and I think you look, I think sheet I ain't counting that man's pocket. But he feels that the adequate and the proper compensation would be one hundred and twenty five K.
Speaker 2: I'm not here to tell him he's right or wrong.
Speaker 1: Me I wanted to be a part of it, and so you know, Hey, it's not much, but I'm not hurt for money.
Speaker 2: I'm doing my own thing.
Speaker 1: I don't think he's hurt for money either, but that's he wants to stand on back. Hey guy, you making hundreds of million dollars what's one hundred and twenty five K. But then when you start paying everybody one hundred and twenty five k, I don't think the game is going to last too long.
Speaker 2: So for me, I understand him standing on it.
Speaker 1: I also understand two K said, Nah, we're good, bro, We're just we'll have the Pistons or the Trailblazers and you won't be a part of it.
Speaker 2: Deil you back yet?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, ah bad?
Speaker 2: You a hack the system, doctor shark monk.
Speaker 1: He asked NBA NFL players a boy getting intimate having sex before big game like boxers do for weeks to have fresh leg, and does that work?
Speaker 2: I was saying, Gil, Nah, Bro, I ain't no boxer.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna shake the cover Friday because I'm gonna be locked down Saturday, so no, and my leg should be recovered by the time I hit the field on Sunday. So no, I'm not going the week. I'm not going. I'm not going a month. I'm not doing any of that. Oh, Shay, go shake the covers for dark on Friday.
Speaker 2: Like it's ritual.
Speaker 1: So I had a teammate who who got got some falatio before the game. Hit five threes where you gotta call up back the next game. So you know, every game, that's what he had to do. Okay, every game he go to the parking lot ready for the chip off, and go to the parking lot, get a.
Speaker 2: Little thing done, come on to the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, hey, and hey, superstitition is a powerful thing, man, most powerful thing.
Speaker 2: I didn't listen. I didn't because I heard the story.
Speaker 1: Magic Johnson back in the day said he didn't have sex the night before the game, right, And that's all I grew up knowing the night before the game, don't have sex. Mass Johnson said, don't have sex the night before the game, right, So that's what I always did. So there was a certain time nine ten o'clock that I stopped. So I didn't do it on game day just because that's what I thought.
Speaker 2: But I know it wouldn't affect me. It was just it was just that's what you know, So you ain't doing nothing the night before we either like r you know, to ten eleven twelve.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not on game Oh but see see we had security on the floor, so we couldn't.
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean I'm sure some guys were Wait it mean security what was security for.
Speaker 1: No women on the no women on the floor. I mean, we couldn't have anybody on the floor. We had room chack. We had bad chack. Wait as a growl, as a grown man, as a grown man. Yea wait wait wait wait wait.
Speaker 2: Y'all had curfew.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh no, oh no, no, yeah for sure, no, no, we know you damn you need to be an.
Speaker 2: NBA playing for about one good year.
Speaker 1: That's why I said I had to shake the coup before dark on Friday, because I know I would gonna be locked down either on the road or in the hotel cup even at home. We stayed in the hotel night before the game. What, Yes, you stayed the hotel night before a game.
Speaker 2: We're partying that. Oh no, we party.
Speaker 1: Most of us are coming in at six seven in the morning from the club. Yeah, but see y'all games that night, so you could do that. See we played at one two o'clock in the afternoon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because we're just going to sleep all.
Speaker 1: Day and were just going to sleep again because Mike is telling us Friday and Brian uh was always telling us after the Priday, we've done practice around one o'clock on Friday, all right, go home, get off your feed if you got you know, hey, and when you know I did, I got off my feet on I mean, Gill, I was off my feet. That that's great. He with our others, but I was off bo feet. Y'all y'all didn't even get to have fun. We haven't listen.
Speaker 2: Listen if I.
Speaker 1: You can't hang in the basketball player, we might have been good.
Speaker 2: I'd have been good. You know. We run them through the hotel. You got the same girl going through four five rules? What? Oh yeah, I gotta why she coming on down hey? And she got a friend.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, you know that. You know what the traveling pats, Oh yeah, I can't.
Speaker 2: Handle all these girls come on down here. You ain't got three folk coming to that.
Speaker 1: That happened in the NFL security big But see now, Gil, Gil with I wouldn't want no parts of that now with the way it's set up now, or you're gonna get it's a simple limit, sha Let me show you a simple rule, Gill. No means no, maybe means no, and sometimes yes means.
Speaker 2: No tomorrow all that no, nope, nope, leaving along, Gil.
Speaker 1: Cash means yes right, cash means as soon as they ain't take that cat, they mean, yeah, right, so we pay.
Speaker 2: We're paying.
Speaker 1: What you say, Oh yeah, go ahead that Yeah, we got receipts. Oh, let me cash app you this hug cash app. Sin, I ain't got no apps or I ain't got no cash apps on my phone.
Speaker 2: But why you got no uber. I ain't got no I ain't got nothing. Have you noticed though, the NBA players ain't getting called out for that? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, y'all y'all, But see, y'all got a different life. See y'all see basketball like basketball and baseball player, y'all. That drove the price up, y'all, y'all inflation, So y'all done drove the price up to hill. I mean he used to be you know, finger near your hair done. You know you get your nails done, and you know you're playing a little bill here or there.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm mm hm. Oh yeah, we messed the Oh yeah, y y'all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, god man, yeah, we flying were flying private private jet. We're gonna give you thousands just to get you. See that's what I'm saying. Oh see I need them. I needed a pre pandemic prices, see y'all, see see pandemic that happened and everything was scarce needed to go back to pre pandemic. Yes, I can't, I can yet, your your man. I hate the basketball players. I told you all, the basketball player, the baseball player, that the belevel.
Speaker 2: Like we we we we buying the burking bag.
Speaker 1: Were gonna put the thirty thousand, forty thousand in there just to talk to you. We we're gonna try to spoil you, just to get it, just for the ways over old on y'all see that a just NFL players. See, that's why we ain't got no chance. That's why we can't compete with them. Bill already tell y'all don't bring your track shoes. Y'all want to keep keep up with the NBA player, bring your check book and that and that. When people hear me talk and I say, y'all don't understand. I got a different playbook, my platebook. I get to say whatever I walk because what they're gonna do, I can just get a new one, right how I like girls like yeah, don't talk to me like that. I get you, and then the people above me get you too.
Speaker 2: You know Dave that say Hey, what time you gonna be over here?
Speaker 1: You said nine. I'm holding right now. I'm gonna call somebody else. I see you later. I get to do that. Oh, I'll I'll be over right now. Well, whoever, whoever get here first, that's who I'm letting me in. So what so what if they show at the same time. Hey, hey, y'all like each other. Hey, hey, look the NBA player. Look the NBA player. Listen, the NBA player gonna try it. We say whatever because we can.
Speaker 2: I'm scared. And that's the problem. Like we really like, we we root, we rude, like.
Speaker 1: We we we compromise because we we we we can go into d M and then get the talking we talk records. All right, Well, then I just holler at your friend or ill holler at this person. Y'all are all for of y'all to come back. We we just were just sitting there just playing mismatch. And that's that's that's that's the problem. But and guess what, you ain't gonna catch us in public with them. So that means, listen, we were treating girls who are high sed diitty, yeah, to turn them into three o fo's.
Speaker 2: That's for let's holds backwards.
Speaker 1: You know your your your superstar women, them them stars.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they they come sneaky in the hotel two in the morning and go.
Speaker 2: And leave out.
Speaker 1: So you know, I was wondering, I say, man, why everybody got a g wagon? Why they gotta working bag? And they got on aps on y'all ain't got no job like Oh now it makes sens gil. I was wondering every time I go on, I g and I'm looking. She got a g wagon, she got a burking bag, she got.
Speaker 2: An ap she look. She dated the date the NBA player for the luxury. They date the NFL player for the love.
Speaker 1: Y'all gonna show them the attention that they need. Oh lord, listen, I can. I can fly you out from Miami. We go to Miami Club. You you are in town with me and I took somebody else home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just gonna get your new hotel room. She better. Wow, I ain't got that guy. I ain't never had that guy.
Speaker 1: I ain't never been that ballsy well, I ain't never First of all, I ain't never flew out to him. I ain't never went to a party like that like y'all be doing it. I guess I'm about to go out there and let my hair down. Yes over they allay put. Now, don't let me try to look to the next celebrity you see, go to the next Celebritcy.
Speaker 2: Hey, listen, I want you for tonight. I got about forty five minutes. Hey, what you got for me? You'll be surprised. Here's the thing.
Speaker 1: I get it, Gil, Look at my age. I'm fifty five. I'm a little bit of a celebrity. They're playing in the NFL, and I get that at my age because of who I am. The dating pool is a lot open, a lot more open than say somebody fifty five that's not in my position.
Speaker 2: I can get it, but I ain't no food now, Gil.
Speaker 1: It ain't all the way open like if I now, if I was twenty five or thirty five, I gotta play books. You know you're right, you're right, So you know I'm how to stay up my lane, Gill, like you don't ade. Hey, you know that new Florid law that just about to pass, a law you got to be at leave driving at least sixty five in the far left lane.
Speaker 2: I ain't all the way to the right.
Speaker 1: I'm in the lane they stood the part right lane, and I'm doing like fifty eight.
Speaker 2: Hey, good question up.
Speaker 1: Right, So since you're fifty five, is the problem that fifty five year old women don't look good?
Speaker 2: This is that the fifty five year old women don't look like kept up like you do? Is that? Is that a problem?
Speaker 1: The God, the God's honest truth. Women my age looking for guys younger.
Speaker 2: And me.
Speaker 1: I ain't no, said day, me too. So we both looking for different we looking over each other, looking for something else.
Speaker 2: Here what it is? It is?
Speaker 1: What it is, man, I'm at I'm at photios.
Speaker 2: So I'm good.
Speaker 1: You're the sweek five, they say, like when you date, when you're looking for a girlfriend or wife half your age plus plus seven, that's supposed to be your cutoff. Okay, after your age plus seven, So you're theoretically so from twenty seven. I guess all the way to forty is in your wheelhouse. Okay, I ain't tell nobody my age. I ain't really fifty five thirty seven now, I geel like, I just I just love. I just can't.
Speaker 2: I mean, I just I just say.
Speaker 1: I ain't never had that kind of gumption to be able to you know, I mean, I will say, you're not in I could.
Speaker 2: I could.
Speaker 1: I could sense early on if somebody wasn't feeling me.
Speaker 2: And that's cool.
Speaker 1: I ain't never called nobody out their name because they didn't want to holler at me, or they found my boy more attractive, or he had somebody had more money.
Speaker 2: I'm cool. I'm good with it. It ain't the end of the world. I think my notes.
Speaker 1: Your personality lets me get away with a lot more because they already expected, right, they expect they expected.
Speaker 2: Like if I go out there.
Speaker 1: Right now and say, yeah, anybody charging for for you know, vagina, I'll have a whole d M full of models and celebrities. Are were you playing when you said that?
Speaker 2: Hey, big head?
Speaker 1: Like, sometimes I just say this ship just to say it, right, they take it. I don't even leave my goddamn house. I just see it just to say it.
Speaker 2: Just for kicks and giggles.
Speaker 1: Since everybody wants to be a good dude, so I just want to be a bad dude just to see just I hate. Someone has to someone has to talk for the slim balls bro and Tony Robinson saying oh you got to stop left, Steve, and they get away with that.
Speaker 2: Jordan Dad passed an excuse.
Speaker 1: Many people lose loved ones but just didn't quit their job. Brian better, Look, I mean we gil, I know you've heard everything that was said that there were other extreenuating circumstances. Was the reason that Jordan left the NBA. I don't know. He said it was a lot of pressure. I know the man had a very very close relationship with his dad. Uh and that's a lot. That's a lot given the tragedy and the tragic manner in which it happened happened, and the gravity of what happened.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 1: You know, they said it was other things where that led he was suspended.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: And so all I know is that the man stepped away for a year and a half and came back and he wasn't quite the same. We're in the forty five, but when he showed back up in ninety six with that two.
Speaker 2: Three that two three three, Yeah, I mean it was.
Speaker 1: Like we've heard the stories, right, We've heard the whispers here. We've I've talked to refs, you know, and you know there's some things that went on, but you know.
Speaker 2: Let let.
Speaker 1: It was a mutual step away, right, It was a mutual step away, you know right now, you know, as they're facing the league. You know, we don't know if we can control all this drama. So you step away, going on, let the world miss you, and then you come back and then we can just talk about basketball, right you know, Sometimes you know, things like that have to happen, especially when you know who he was at the time. Yeah, yeah, I don't you know the things we we heard.
Speaker 2: You don't want that that.
Speaker 1: That that type of you know, cloud over the NBA, especially for who he was.
Speaker 2: Anybody else has, but not not him. Not him.
Speaker 1: Nicki went underscore ATO four said, hey, there, Gil, being from Richmond, Virginia, I'm I'm a Wizards fan because of you, and they're only what They're the only team in DC I support. So Nicki went underscore eight O four. She's a big fan of your Gil.
Speaker 2: The girl. There's only two teams in DC.
Speaker 1: You got the Wizards and you got Gold Georgetown, and the Wizard is about.
Speaker 2: To be going to Virginia.
Speaker 1: So I hope you got your bust fed or your gas money because that's where you're going where She and Richmond, So Richmond, Oh, we loved Richmond like we used to have training camp in Richmond.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that was a good. That was a good. That was a good.
Speaker 1: Like there, it was perfect for a training camp, like we went down there in George Mason all the time the training Raiders Mom twenty four eighty nine. Please shout out our son, Raider. He's seventeen months old, was born with five holes in his art, fourteen months in the hospital, but he's finally home. God is good. Raider's Mom, twenty four eighty nine. Congratulations all the best Raider. Hopefully after fourteen months in the hospital, he's seventeen months old.
Speaker 2: Finally home.
Speaker 1: Congratulations, and hopefully he has a long, healthy, prosperous life. God is good. Thank you, Raider's mom twenty four eighty nine for sharing that. Jay his name is Raider, His name is Raiders.
Speaker 2: Well, no, we know a team. What football fan he's gonna be a fan of?
Speaker 1: Nothing can't be Jay asked, do you think Piston's losing streak should be a reminder of to other rebuilding teams the risk of getting it wrong?
Speaker 2: No, the losing streak is is more of they found they found out how to be bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you gotta practice this girl, ain't no way you can practice being good and be this bad.
Speaker 2: So you gotta practice being bad. You gotta the habits of what you do every day. It's to look like when you're talking.
Speaker 1: About what makes a great team great is the little things they do when their shots not falling, when you know there's they're they're making those extra plays.
Speaker 2: I took a charge here, dove out of the bounds, hustled back.
Speaker 1: On defense line. Right, you make those little extra plays. That's what the winning teams do. Now the opposite bad teams they make all the wrong plays at the right time for their opponent taking a bad shot, turning the ball over. Right, You know you had five turnovers for the game. Four of them was in the last minute, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you just find ways to lose.
Speaker 1: And when you're a bad team, it's more mental than it is the game itself.
Speaker 2: Right, is they're going to run, they hit.
Speaker 1: Two threes, You look at each other, Oh we lost again.
Speaker 2: Now this is the first everybody hit you down, right, And that's what it is like.
Speaker 1: There has to be a moment in time where if you think positive, it will happen. You go in and say, hey, we're gonna win this game, no matter how many shots they make.
Speaker 2: We're gonna cheer, We're gonna stand, We're gonna root.
Speaker 1: I need the bench, I need you guys stand up the rest of the game. We're gonna cheer. We're gonna do it. We need to be our own battery pack. And the day they do that is the day they get out of this. But right now they'll lunch me. Wow, that's really tough. Please make sure you hit that light button. Make sure you hit that subscribe button. Thank you for joining us for another episode of Nightcap. You can find us at the Nightcap feed, the Club Shay Shape Feed. We greatly appreciate that. You can also find Gilbert Arenas at his YouTube channel Gills Arena on YouTube. The show airs Monday through Thursday live at eleven thirty am Pacific time two thirty am Eastern Time. That's Gills Arena Show airs Monday through Thursday eleven thirty am Pacific two thirty am Eastern Time. That's his show every Monday through Friday. We've also pinned shave by Laportier. The link is at the top of the chat. Make sure you go out and buy yourself a special bottle for you or that loved one. With New Year's Valentine, Saint Patrick's Day, President's Day. There's always a reason for you to date something, you know, do something for too something, and a great way to do that with shave by Laportier. Gil, I want to thank you for joining us tonight. Thank you for joining us for another episode. I'm your favorite sports on Shannon Sharp, He's your favorite Number zero, the greatest Arizona Wildcat player in Wildcat history, mister Habbachi himself, gilbe the arenas Gil. Thanks for joining me tonight, Bro, and you're having me like always, all right, Bro that we'll go with it all right, Have a New Year, Happy New Year to you,