Speaker 1: Welcome back to another edition of the Frida Egg Podcast. Today I am joined by golf course architect Andy Staples. Andy is a young, up and coming architect who has designed courses such as Meadowbrook Country Club, sand Hollow and Rock One Community Links. Our discussion jumps right into a talk on municipal golf, or as Andy likes to call it, community golf, and then we divulge into his renovation of Meadowbrook, Willie Park Junior and much more. Thanks for all the ongoing support and for tuning in, and if you haven't yet, please rate and review the podcast and iTunes and subscribe if you don't already, Here's Andy Staples.
Speaker 2: I miss the green, for example, I'm already upset. When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset. And when I find my ball in a frid Egg Friday Egg, the drided Friday, Frida Egg, Frida Egg Egg Frida Egg Bride Egg Lie, I'm about ready to run off the golf course. How did I get roped into them uni golf? Yeah? I love it well. I would tell you that themuni sector in our business was where a lot of the blue collar architects would play for a lot of years, I think maybe still today. And you know, we didn't get the calls from the top clubs when I first got in the business, so I ended up seeing a lot of that side. So I responded to a lot of our fps, you know, really as long as I've been in the business, and so it was somewhat natural to me. But it was always known as this you faction of the business that you're like, well, one day we might graduate and not have to do this. And and then the recession hit and the MUNI sector was hit as hard as anybody, and and I felt like it was something that was that was real to me and understood and and and then on top of that, it just felt you know, innovation in golf is not a word you hear a lot of, maybe in the equipment side, but not on the development side. And so I felt that there was some room for innovation. And I kind of I didn't like the word municipal, and I thought community was a lot better word. And I said, you know what I think this is this is a place for innovation and a place to make a mark. And I thought it was also a place that a lot of my competitors weren't. It was upon that they weren't fishing in and and uh so I went full board and lo and behold, I find myself being pretty successful in front of a large group and comfortable in front of a large group and been able to kind of bring people onto the side of golf. And it just has been something that I've stuck with and I think I'm passionate about it. And I think it's the value of a golf course in a community is not something that is really well thought of, and I think we should be thinking more of it as a value. And it's been kind of a mission of mine to stick with it.
Speaker 1: That's kind of what I see too, is like something that fascinates me is how many of my podcast guests grew up playing municipal golf like and how many of the people that get into the golf industry are grew up playing munique golf. And I mean it's so vital, Like I grew up playing Muni golf like without munich golf, you you know, the if you want to talk about growing the game, like if you didn't, if Muni golf keeps closing and on its pace that it is now like you're not going to have a game without it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think if you go back to the history of why municipal golf even started, go back to you know, Van Cortland Golf Course, the first municipally owned golf course in the country. It was it was a place for you know, the growing middle class that had some expendable income that couldn't afford to join a private club. They went down to the local municipal golf course. So I think it's you know, people don't realize that the reason why golf is the way that it is and the way that it was able to expand to the heights that it got expanded to, was because of municipal golf, or at least in part because municipal golf. Yeah, I was the same way. I grew up at a plan at a place called Wanaki and outside of Milwaukee was in Wisconsin Winak golf course. It was a county Ushak County golf course, and I would meet my buddies down there after school and and we play on the weekends. It was the same thing. You know, four dollars or five dollars for somebody under sixteen, and you know, it's easy for the parents to drop us all off. So it was Yeah, I think municipal golf means a lot to a lot of golfers. And I think, you know, in today's world, we're municipal golf is taking such a kind of a such a back seat and kind of a getting abused and in the media whether or not municipal municipalities should be in the golf business, and I contend that it should.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. I I don't know, it frustrates me because those courses were built kind of seemingly all at like a really bad time. So they, you know, for the most part of municipal golf courses like the least innovative golf course that you'll see. It's you know, they're pretty cookie cutter and pretty unimaginative. And I think if they at the time when they were built, golf was so exclusive and they're missing the inclusive nature of a of a community course.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, a lot of those a lot of those courses are integrated in to the fabric of the county or city park system, so I think it was just kind of part and parcel. You'd have open space, you'd have trails, you'd have camping, you'd have maybe a lake or something, and then you have a golf course. So it's the inclusivity of golf and the community nature of golf has been there, and I think, I think I'm one to believe that the community golf is at the very beginning of a complete revitalization. And I don't I'm not quitting that with all kinds of people playing golf, but the golf course, municipal golf course industry, I think is just prime for a pivot, and there's just too many of them out there, and there's too many success stories and too many good models that are being followed today that I think it's just at the beginning of a new awareness of golf. What I like to call community golf. I'd rather not call it municipal golf anymore, because I think we all think of that as a negative term. Because you can't have a great, you know, really interesting, strategic golf course and turns people through and maintain for reasonable budget, reasonable budget.
Speaker 1: It seems like that a better, more well designed golf course would be way more beneficial for a community because you'd be able to get people around it faster, they'd have more fun, and it'd be more beginner friendly, while it'd be way more interesting for an expert player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's what's business right now, is what exactly is the right balance of strategy and heroic design. And some might call it. You know, we went through a period of penal design, balancing the right level of challenge with with just letting people have fun and play the game. And I think that, you know, when I was brought to the game, I actually learned on a bill Langford Golf Course, Langford More Golf Course, West Bend Country Club, a little blue collar club out suburbs of Milwaukee, and I remember hitting into these big, huge grass features I was I think I started at seven eight seven, eight years old, and by the time I was ten, I still couldn't get out of these things. I would ricochet off the grass bass and I remember thinking, gosh, I better practice, I better get better at this. This is this isn't an easy game. And so I think there's a peer there's a part of that that we all as golfers liked the challenge. But I think that there's ways I think we went overboard. I think there's a there's a way to balance the challenge and the strategy and the interest to truly kind of defend the course against a better player, but let people play through it in a reasonable amount of time. So definitely an opportunity.
Speaker 1: You grew up playing golf, and did you play in high school?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I played in high school. I was on the high school team. I was on the state championship team. Actually, I guess maybe claim to fame. I played with Mark Wilson, the tour pro. He and I were He was a freshman, I was a senior. We won state, and I actually had thoughts of trying to play golf in college one day and I realized that probably wasn't gonna happened. I got in front of that kind of competition and realized that that that's when you get separated, right. I had a better chance of drawing pictures of a golf course one day as opposed to playing them for a living.
Speaker 1: So you went to school and you studied. You wanted to be a golf course architect from you know, the day you stepped out of school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So when I I was practicing every day. I got the bug when I was when I was a kid through high school, and my dad saw the level of interest and I actually started building my own golf course out of a sand beach in northern Wisconsin, and my dad saw me tending to it every weekend and he said, you know, you know, son, the people designed golf courses for a living. And that was the time, I think it was around twelve. I was like, that just blew my mind. I had no idea that that was even possible. I thought golf courses just appeared. And at that point I said, well, how do I do that? And of course my dad said that I don't know, and so he did some calling around and told me that I should go study. You know, the idea at the time was to go study landscape architecture in school, and so I said, right then, I'm going to go to school study landscape architecture. So as soon as I got into school, you know, everybody was trying to in my department of building buildings or designing parks or you know, working in urban planning, and I was the lone golf course guy, you know, at the University of Arkansas is where I went. So that was a team that I tried to walk on the golf team, but realized that you know, the coach at the time, said, He asked me what I was studying, and I said, I'm studying landscape architecture. I want to be a golf course architect. When I grew up, he says, well, you realize that you either play golf or study architecture. You don't do both here. I'm okay, Well that's a pretty clear that's an easy decision for me. So, yeah, they were about twelve years old that there was such a thing and that that's what I wanted to do. I feel very fortunate for that.
Speaker 1: That's neat. I always think back to my childhood and I remember there was a Microsoft game golf game that you could design your own golf course, and I would do that all the time. And and and then my buddy and I would play whiffletball in our in our street, in our front yards, and we, you know, essentially designed golf holes in our own way, playing from tree to tree. Amazing the imagination of a of a kid. I bet your your philosophies of golf course design have changed a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I of course did the same thing, hitting off trees, and you know, I had a sand green. So this was a little cup in my little sand green. But yeah, I remember the first time, you know, this Winachy, this county course I was telling you about, had a bunch of hanging lakes. So you would go up over a ridge and you'd hit it over the top of the ridge, and then you'd come to the top and realized there was a pond there. You're like, shoot, there's a blind to sit in the water. I couldn't see it was a blind lake, right, and so me as a young golfer, well, I should have known that there was a laser, should have been able to see through that ridge. Well, the first time I realized that somebody actually placed the lake there, as a designer, it started that, you know, things started to go off in my mind, like why in the world would you put it there? Then, of course now you're blaming the designer, not not your own game, of course. But yeah, it's certainly changed and involved as you educate yourself through the business and through the through through time for sure.
Speaker 1: So after you get out of school, where'd you go work? Right off the how'd you get kind of into the architecture industry? I imagine it being somebody that came out in the nineties.
Speaker 2: It was booming yeah, So, yeah, I started working. I had a mentor through school. We did a it's part of my thesis. I did a design of a golf course on top of a landfill. And I worked with a guy named Jerry Slack out of Tulsa, which was a He was more of a land planner. He was a golf course architect on his own right. But he was the one that said, if you really want to start in this business, go work in construction. So this was probably a nineteen ninety three ninety four, and so my first my first job was really working with Wadsworth Golf Construction. I started up in Green Bay, Wisconsin and then down to Texas, and so really my entree to the business was through the construction world. And then Jerry, once he saw that I had kind of followed his kind of his path, his preferred path, he hired me to become a draftsman. So I was drawing. My first job was drawing plans by hand. It was before we had CAD or any type of computer. I remember helping him through the first computer we bought to try to get CAD in the office. But so that was in Tulsa. That's how I kind of broke in the business. So I like to say that I wouldn't have gotten that job had it not started on the construction side.
Speaker 1: That makes sense. I mean back then, construction was like the thing I mean was a golf course a day that everybody was saying that America needed to build to keep up with the pace of the growing game.
Speaker 2: That's right. The NGF said, golf course today, and we tried. We definitely tried for a while. We were doing what one year, we did five hundred golf courses in a year.
Speaker 1: I mean it goes back to the you know, current state. Everybody associates golf courses closing with bad, but you know, in muni's closing with bad. But I think part of it is just a market normalizing to what it should be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there's a lot of truth to that. I you know, the the idea that we were building that kind of that kind of quantity over that short period of time is really now looking back, and I'm pretty mind blowing that that it even was was possible. So yeah, I'm a firm believer. But it's one of my messages was as I talked to the municipal sector that that I talked to is that, you know what, closing your golf course is a real is a real option. So let's let's talk about that for a second. You know, before we even go any further about improving your course, let's talk about is there support for the course and whether it should stay open. So I'm I'm one that certainly is not a not against any closures because there's a reason for why those those courses aren't making it. Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: I think there's there's courses that should close, and there's courses that shouldn't close. And I think, you know, there needs to be some sort of at some point in the near future, some sort of initiative from the us GA to you know, use some of their money to support the ones that really shouldn't close. And and and that's that's what bugs me is like some of these, like you're familiar with Detroit area, but like that Rackham course that was on the brink of closing, Like that's a course that you know, a ton of history, Donald Ross design, it's it's tied very closely to the city. That's that's a course that shouldn't close. It might need to be a little bit different of a concept than it is currently and have a little bit forward thinking concepts. But that's a golf course that that should be helped and subsidized from Golf's governing body. Do you, I mean, what do you what do you think about the U s g A and and mini golf community.
Speaker 2: Golf community is here, right, So what do I think Do I think the USGA should be the one to step up into that? I think at the I don't think we're there at that point. I don't know that the municipal sector would is positioned right to be able to take those kind of funds. It's like, you know, the stimulus dollars just a couple of years ago, right, So, you know, I understand trying to kick start an industry and and finding maybe some showcase properties that make some sense. And to be honest, I mean that the way they've showcased it is around their Open Championship. That's that's been the way you know, they've brought it to the public sector. They've they brought the you know, the US Open you know, rotation or courses to try to get you know, the golf under a certain you know message that it's open to the public. But you know, in terms of putting money towards municipalities. And you talk about Rackham, I mean, you got some other issues there with Rackham that you know, and it's not necessarily unique to the City of Detroit. It's unique to just this idea that the backing and the ability to support public golf. There's not enough people at the highest levels of their government that support golf, and so I think unproper support. And the city has the ability more times than not to support and subsidize golf. It's just they're choosing not to because of the messaging that's happening about the negativity towards golf. But when you start thinking about all the people that actually have a chance to visit a golf course, and that's one of my messages to my community golf messages that it needs to expand the user group so that it's not just about the ten percent to play golf, that it's more about walking trails and outdoor activities and you know, any type of use. You know, it's not necessarily a clubhouse anymore, it's more of a community building. Yeah, if you start to pivot on those types of messaging messages, I think the USGA's role can help support that. But I think if we look to them to try to save municipal golf, I don't know that I agree with that, but there's certainly a powerful message there that needs to be in support of municipal golf.
Speaker 1: So getting into your community golf and on your website you've got just great resources, white paper and different things about you know, the way your kind of philosophy on what community golf should be. And I think what you said about inclusive is such a big deal. You know, we're it's almost more of a model that you would see in England and Scotland and Ireland than what the traditional community or municipal community golf is in America.
Speaker 2: Right, absolutely, Yeah. I think it's funny how many people when I get in front of the municipal stakeholders and tell them about the old course at Saint Andrews and the fact that it closes down on Sunday and becomes a park, people can walk across the entire golf course and property. They're blown away. They're like, I can't believe that we love walking on golf courses. We should consider that, right, And so, you know, it's funny how when you go to when you go throughout the world. You know, I studied, I studied in Denmark for a semester and I actually I actually or the study focus was on urban planning, but we had a chance to go out to all kinds of park plans and we studied throughout Scandinavia, including Stockholm and Sweden. And there was a a specific because it was part of my study, there was a specific park property called Woodland Cemetery. It was this broad open space. It wasn't a golf course, it was a cemetery, but it basically felt like a golf course, and you would go through a series of trails and transitions from space to space. There was there was chapels, there was auditoriums, there were crematory as. There was open space too to be outside in nature. And I think when you people are drawn to that kind of experience, and for us as golfers, we happen to do that. We actually experience an open space with a with a stick and a ball in our in our in our possession. And so to me, when you just start to think about the innate characteristics of being outside and playing sport, you know, golf, golf falls right in line with all of those things I think that we are drawn to and you know, so now it just tells me it's a messaging issue. It's it's how are we presenting it? And we should be presenting it not necessarily across the board. I understand that, you know, golf has many different faces, but but from these particular community golf courses, they need to be presented and the messaging needs to be proper and needs to start from the very beginning, on the very top of government. And so I think, I think we just need to we have a we have a marketing and a messaging issue as much as anything.
Speaker 1: It's funny when you're thinking about just thinking while you're talking, like something that just sticks out to me that's so so simple that no, like barely any courses in America do, is like why can't my dog come with me? Like you know how much easier it would be if you could take your dog out? Like do you know how much easier it would be for me to get my wife out if our dog could come? Like you know, it all of a sudden becomes more than you know, You're you're spending time outside in a beautiful place. You know it goes back to the landscape architecture, like, I mean, there's so much you know, you can do with a beautiful green space, a big beautiful green space. And so your kind of rock Wind Links was, was is your big calling card for a community golf It explained to us a little bit about you know, rock Wind as a golf course but also a community center.
Speaker 2: Sure. So rock Wind Community Links is in Hobbs, New Mexico. It was it was host of an old military golf course built in the forties. They did training sessions on the property right next they were housing a military personnel on the property they converted to a golf course and it was just I guess you could say it was poorly built. And then on top of that, it was on a piece of rock. It's you know, rock Wind. They called it the rock Callichi Rock. So it was it was a typical municipally on golf course that was, you know, deteriorating in front of everyone's eyes. They needed a new irrigation. They they had hard time, you know, having any quality turf. The soil wasn't great, and they kept coming up to the to the council to say, hey, we need to start putting some improvements to this, and each time, you know, they kept it wasn't as if they were saying no, but they said that there was higher priorities before we started improving the golf course. So when I was introduced to the club, I was actually hired to do a little part three course. They wanted to do an assessment to say, hey, we see a lot of these beginner courses starting to say we have an eighteen hole golf course. We have a kind of sort of a driving range. It wasn't great at a net at the back of it was really short, but hey, let's talk about putting a short course. So part of you know, my initial plan was just to build a little nine hole, twelve hole part three course. And I said, well, guys, did you think about this, you know, because it was really disconnected and went through a bunch of different ideas. I said, well, actually, what we need to be thinking about is broadly, how is this facility attracting golfers and training them and transitioning them from the beginnings through on to the serious golfer. And I presented them the community links concept. I said, this is it isn't just about golfers. Anymore. Now we'll talk about developing people through life and family and those types of things. And the city manager at the time was listening to me and he's like, you know what, that's interesting. I can I can sell that and my my council will buy into that. So we went in front of council, said this is what we're thinking. And it turned from you know, a sim irrigation project or a part three course, to now the golf course becoming a central component of their entire community. That Hobbs is oil and gas driven, so timing is everything. They were seeing oil prices on the rise at the time and in a very pro golf mayor and a couple of people on the council that played golf. Not everybody, but a couple. So when we went in front of them and said, hey, before we go any farther, we want to see if you're if you're interested in this, and we're really proud to say that every time we went in front of council with what we tried to do, we got seven to zero votes in favor that this golf course should become a central part of the city plan and it and and that this idea that we're going to diversify the user group to attract more than just golfers. Was tangible. They saw that, So we have a trail system. We've got an open We built a five acre affluent water storage that the golf course here uses for irrigation, which then has an open space adjacent to it. So if the trail system connects through the through the clubhouse, community center area and then has a spot where where golfers non golfers can actually watch people play golf. There's a par three real close across the water, so they can sit on a little seat wall. There's a nice big open green space next to the range, so that we have you know, kids programs. SNAG golf is a big part of what they do. SNAG is now in all their schools as a part of this project. The community college plays there, so you know, they have expandable outdoor event areas, so they put on symphonies and you know this in Hobbes, this is this was the basically the middle of the city. Now everything happens at their golf course. And it couldn't have come together any better. We had support from everybody across UH there, their level of government, government and uh. And speaking of the us J, they've they've now they've labeled it as the model MUNI if you will, for others to look at.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of people like you go in and say, hey, like, you know, let's fix this golf course up. Let's you know, make it this and this and this, so this this course you know needed obviously irrigation, which is a big and it's a good timing piece for doing a project. But in terms of economics, like you know, how can how can IMMUNI look at this and say we're gonna we're it's not going to crush our bottom line with with the project.
Speaker 2: That's that's the biggest question. I guess like, okay, well great you did that at rock winn There's no way we can do that here. And I always turn around say are you sure that you can't? So you know, most every city is making some pretty major investments in the quality of life, and so to me, it's about understanding what's important. And so the very first thing is is a is a marketing and a messaging issue that that I'll stand in front of the council and I'll say, okay, who here plays golf? And more than likely one or two out of seven or nine will raise their hand. I said, okay, well who here has played golf? And then a couple more people raise the hand, and so to me, I immediately go back to the discussion that if if we don't understand the value of what this golf course could mean to the city or for the minispet or the area, the community, the county, then we shouldn't even be talking about anything. I would tell you that you should be considering closing this golf course. And then of course everyone's like, no, we can't close this golf course. You know, well, you know, we have a lot of people to play golf here. We'll ultimately only have, you know, a few thousand rounds a year. And so I start to say, let's start building pride. So that's number one is messaging and support of golf. And then almost always there are practice facilities, short tees, you know, open space that you can carve out. It's really challenging this idea that an eighteen hole regulation course is what's right for for cities across the country. So not every golf course needs to be seven thousand yards sixty two hundred yard golf courses just fine for a lot of people. So we look at kind of carving out spaces within the space to be able to do that. And then I also I talk about it in terms of a roadmap, So this isn't going to happen over a short doesn't always have to happen over a short period of time. It just needs to be the messaging needs to be accurate, It needs to be repeated over and over and then implemented at the pace that you guys feel is appropriate for funding. But if you're not going to fund it, then I would just tell you that you consider closing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems like they got to get behind it or get out.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I think differentiation to me is something that always sticks out too, is that I've been dealing with this a little bit with the course I grew up playing, is thinking about closing, and you look at the landscape and they're all the same golf course that were built in the same period, and this just row of everything around it, and it's it's just like, of course, then all of a sudden, it becomes price is the thing that you compete on because you're no different than everything else.
Speaker 2: I I wholeheartedly agree that that that in order for community golf to be successful, it has to be able to provide something that not not anyone else is providing. So if you look around your golf landscape, you need to find what it is that you know that that that that the private business isn't isn't providing or doesn't want to provide. So that's where these these short courses, that's where the practice facilities and driving range concepts. That's why top golf, I think, is becoming so so popular. It's it's it's providing something that that the that the rest of the golf community is not not giving everyone. And so as long as you can stand up and say that this is a course that's providing a benefit to my community in ways that the private market is is not able to, then that's that's our niche. That's where the community golf starts to say, all right, then a two hundred thousand dollars subsidies starts to make sense because one, it's a smaller footprints, so we're using less resources, less less dollars. Oh, by the way, you can play it much quicker, and and it's you know, it's it's it's able to attract an area that of the of the population that wouldn't necessarily go to that championship eight you know, eighteen whole seven thousand yard golf course.
Speaker 1: I even think about it with the course I'm talking about, like in the area, there's no good driving ranges. Like alone, having a driving range, you're going, like a really quality driving range, You're going to attract people that are members of the country clubs that have subpar driving ranges.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's quite interesting for me to look back on properties that we're all built in this this window that we're we're talking about in the nineties, how the driving range was was you know, the history says you were lucky to have a driving range, and then when you did, it was just for warm up purposes. So it really wasn't really thought of as a place that people would come and just bang balls and you know, tear up turf and dig holes. They would they would basically take a couple of swings and go out and play golf. That that entire mentality has shifted, and that I talk a lot about this myself. That's that's my life, That's that's what makes sense to me. I don't go out and play eighteen holes with my buddies. Anymore, I go out and play four or five holes with my kids. I got three young boys, and then I'll take them to the to the range to hit balls, and then I might take them in and get a soda, right so that or maybe put on the green then Dennesota. So that to me is a shift in the and how we use a golf course. And I think that that is a real If you don't have that, if you're not trending in that area and the practice facilities of driving ranges, then then I think you're missing out.
Speaker 1: It's it's funny. I was talking to my buddy that I grew up playing this golf course with, and you know, we played in high school together and grew up riding our bikes there and we were the same guys that were hitting chewing up our neighbor's lawn. But we talked, you know, we had coffee. We were talking and it's like we spent the most time on that course is putting green, and I you know, you start to think about why, and it was it was, it was massive, it was it was you know, probably like a ten thousand square foot putting green. So you we could do and you could chip and everything, and you we'd spend hours there and we'd never get tired with it. It wasn't a great green like in the sense of like it wasn't like supremely interesting with contours. But what it was was it was free, it was open, and it allowed us to like, it was a place we could just spend time, you know, and I think exactly, and it's like you think about it, it's like we spent more time on that putting green, chipping and putting than we did playing the golf course.
Speaker 2: Yep. Yeah. So the uh, the city manager got and Hobbs for saying, you know, if you're not if a city is not too concerned about green fee, you can really start to grow the game. And this idea that you'd have a bucket of putters next to your putting green where there was a walking trail, that someone might actually pull a putter and hit a ball because they've never done that before. You know, the business mind in golf says, well, I should charge them for that. That should be a five dollars putting course fee, right, And so this this is back to this idea of community golf. I understand they're doing really good things like down in winter Park. You know this idea that that it's not all about a green fee, and it's not all about you know, revenue. Sometimes it's more about an asset and the quality of life and spending time with your family discussion, and you know, those are the ways to do it, and it's proven we just haven't. We just ignored it for twenty years. That's why I'm saying that I think that it's it's prime for a comeback.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you look at golf and how it changes and how there's these different innovations and the last big one was the minimalist movement that you know, Tom Doak and Bill Kohrr and Ben Crenshaw started with building golf courses that were much more lay of the ground. And with the ground movement, and you start to think about, like, what's going to be this next innovation with golf courses, and you have to look no further than abundance of golf courses that were built that really don't fit needs or aren't any good. And you know, it also makes me think about the residential golf courses that just aren't very good golf courses. But we're built to make money, you know, with residential developments and and that kind of fits into this. And I think reimagining those golf courses are is what the future of golf course development is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with all that. I think I think it's going to be interesting because there's a lot of there's a lot of sticky parts of that, because there's there's zoning regulations and open space and those types of things. But I couldn't agree more. And I think I think that the idea that we're going to look back on courses like sand Hills and the development like Bandon dune'es I. You know, we talk a lot about the dark ages of golf, but I think those will be the facilities that really, you know, we'll look back and saying that's where the golf industry turned to another direction. I can't help but think even some of these residential courses are going to have to then change away from just being a golf course, are going to have to be more park open space, because I just don't think those are those are the ones that aren't going to make it. I think everyone's proven that when you get out into open space, free of development and out in nature that's when we really really that's when we know we really love golf.
Speaker 1: A house on a golf course is like an immediate detractor for people. It's it's amazing, it is. I remember I was talking about Philly Cricket Club with somebody and somebody goes. Somebody was like, you know, there's those condos on the thirteenth hole just ruin everything. And I'm thinking, I'm like, wow, one hole like having condos by there. But this guy, you know, he just was offended by those condos, like and like, I think that's part of the assence of golf as being out and they open and getting to you know, disconnect from the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I think that that whole idea of development and the right balance for all of those those elements. You know. The one thing that I believe happened over a twenty or three year period is that the golf course wasn't the number one driver. So you chose sites that you didn't necessarily you wouldn't necessarily build a golf course by itself. It wasn't a great piece of land, and you ended up, you know, moving a lot of dirt, and you raised the houses on the outside and dropped the golf on the on the middle of the center. It just got to be repetitive and boring tunnels exactly. And it's still occurring there. There's properties that are happening. I mean, there's a big development here in Phoenix going and I was just that yesterday that you know, they're building houses all over the place and there's a golf course in the middle of it. But but what I found interesting about it is is the clubhouse was not just a clubhouse. There was I walked in, the very first thing I saw was a bike rental shop. It was a clubhouse kind of built in a U and so they saw bike rentals, and then see kayaks because you could actually take it out on a big lake that they were building. And and then there's there's a whole open space that went off into the center of the property. And the very first thing you see as you walk in the back of the clubhouse was a big open outdoor seating area and then the driving range. So it was right in line with all the things that I'm talking about that the driving range becomes more of a social center and people are hanging out and you just go over, hit some balls and come back over here, you know, it was so So the residential part of this is I don't think is necessarily gonna go away entirely, but I think how we use some of these central spaces is definitely evolving.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I heard a statistic that a golf course within walking distance of your home is worth like ten thousand dollars to your home.
Speaker 2: I don't know about that. That wouldn't surprise me.
Speaker 1: That's just something I heard with this research I've been doing recently, which it's crazy, but you think about like these big residential like why doesn't the clubhouse or have like a coffee shop, you know, if I live like down the street, like I'm going to go there rather than I'm going to go like spend ten minutes in my car going to get coffee.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's I think you're you're kind of touching on some of the things that I that I've been in the middle of. You know, it's one thing to be talking about a message. It's another thing to actually implement it, implement that message. And you know, so our golf business, if you will, is really they've got the management companies and the operators, they've got it pretty well oiled to a golf business, so they know golf. What they're not really good at is or not. I mean they can be, they just haven't chosen to be good at doing other things like coffee houses, bike rentals. They don't understand it. So now, how do you position the economic there for these guys that actually can come in and diversify the user without having the risk of losing That's that's what's really that's an interesting part of this. I talked to a management company a lot about this and he says, well, Andy, this all sounds great. I love the community links concept, but right now, no one's hiring us to do that. Well I'm going to change that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So having working with a municipality versus a private club, like, what are you what are the differences that you see?
Speaker 2: Do you have enough time? You know? I couldn't you know? There would Let me start with some of the similarities. So the similarities are there's always a discussion about money, there's always a discussion about budget, and there's always a discussion about downtime and disturbance and so so there's certainly some similarities that it crossed, you know, both types of projects. Probably the biggest difference with the municipality. You know, the kind of the community golf perspective is just all of the other buy in that has to happen. It's it's just takes longer to make decisions and more people have to weigh in. And that's that's one of the things that I think that I've done well at and I kind of promote myself as I've got the patients that kind of go through that I'm not going anywhere. So this doesn't have to happen in six months. It can happen in twelve months or I don't like to take too long. But and so the stakeholder buy in the meetings, to the town hall meetings negotiating certain aspects of the plan. You know, this is where you start to see, you know, if I kind of diverge a little bit to see what a golfer really looks like. You know, when you're in a town hall of one hundred and twenty one hundred and fifty people and you have half golfers, half nons, you start to see how we as a group, as a golfing group react, And I gotta be honest, you know, the golfers are not very organized. They're not they They they come in, they say this is our golf course, and then if they're upset, they'll leave, a lot of golfers will walk out. They'll say that I'm never coming back, you know. Whereas the mountain biker Mountain Bike Association or the equestrian, you know, they'll come up with a PowerPoint presentation, they'll present everything to us very matter of factly. And when you actually look back and you start to see how how the process is going, you know, I find myself defending golf just from a from a group standpoint, you know, not necessarily just me individually or what I'm trying to do. And so, you know, managing all those different type of community uses is by far the the difference, the big difference. But I will say from a club from a private club membership is you still have opinions, but generally it's really driven by, you know, by being a member at that club.
Speaker 1: That's I think like one of the things in my experience with municipalities and and the dynamics of the municipal golf course is like how much stock is put into their the random group of players that show up for whatever meeting, and what they say and and how they'll you know, if you raise the race time out of here is like, is that really the customer that you want? If you if you I'm giving you a better golf course and it's ten dollars more, you're out of here.
Speaker 2: You know, It's that's real, that's real. And I've I've been in those meetings where the golf you know, three or four golfers will get in front of the council and raise their voice and tell the council that there will never come back, and it scares the council and because this is their constituents, they don't they don't want that negativity. So they end up saying, oh, well, we better, you know, we better, you know, change our message or the golfers are going to be upset. And you know that's you know, I find my I'm the golfer, right, that's I'm a golfer. But I also understand I'm looking at it from a kind of a you know, I think a bigger picture, and I you know, losing a customer is a really difficult thing. And I think with all this discussion about technology in the game and the distances and all this evolution of the game, I think one of the biggest things we're going to have a question about is what defines a golfer, what is a traditional golfer, and and the challenges of this evolution. You know you mentioned about bringing your dog out to the course. I couldn't agree more. But I've also seen it where golfers don't like it when two dogs are barking next to each other and in their backswing rights. That's the traditional golfer that doesn't want those dogs there. You know, we as a as an industry are our own worst enemy. Sometimes.
Speaker 1: You got your MBA from in Berkeley in twenty twelve. I'm curious. I don't think that's a degree that many architects have. And how has it helped you from your business side?
Speaker 2: So quick clarification, it's not a full MBA. It was it was an executive education. Uh, pretty intense study. But I can't say that I have an MBA, but thank you for giving me the.
Speaker 1: All that I'll go with it.
Speaker 2: I will say this that that the two things that that I wish I would have learned quicker were that it's not about what you know, it's who you know. It's a relationship business. And then two would be understanding business from how to allocate dollars and how you know, we talkt we talk a lot about a design fee and how much people charge for a design. You know, for a young guy like me, my design you know, generally my design fee has to last almost two years because I've got twelve months of design and then there's going to be a permitting window and then we might get the whole construction done in six months or twelve months. And so you know the economic behind you know, how the dollars and cents of operating a design business. You know, we we drop pictures. We're creative people and typically don't We're not really good at sales, and we're certainly not good at business by nature. So it's really showed me what I don't know more than it's kind of given me what I do know. So I keep trying to be better at that. Business is hard.
Speaker 1: Let's transition into one of your more recent projects. You did a restoration renovation of Meadowbrook Golf Club up in Detroit, Michigan area. A Willie Park design it, and I think you know I've been I've gotten countless emails from people saying that it's a spot that I must check out. So tell us a little bit about meadow Brook and how that job came about.
Speaker 2: Sure, your meadow Brook Country Club, Northville, Michigan, about twenty five miles or so outside of well, about three miles outside Detroit, and it was the private club. Family family dominated. It's got swim tennis, active social program, and they chose to undergo some master planning. I think it was in twenty thirteen or twenty fourteen when I first It was early fourteen when I first met him, and they interviewed fifteen guys. I happened to get on the list, and we went through a process of elimination. You know. That's that's the other thing about our business today is it's like it seems like you're either dealing with one or two guys or you're dealing with twenty guys. So this was one of the ones that you end up end up just kind of having patience and providing as much information as you as you can. And I made a few visits where I actually started to get to know some of the people. The general manager, Joe Morine and I kind of kicked it off right from the beginning. We just kind of got along right away, and it narrowed down to five and we did a big interview and I laid out some ideas and you know, I focused a lot of about how I can sell a plan and be in front of them membership and all my focus group, you know, kind of concept. I have a big portion of my master plan where I get in front of the members and get to know them and it it it escalated into a contract and it was my first project in Michigan, and and it was quite quite a coup for someone from Arizona coming to Michigan. You know, the state of Michigan's pretty pretty specific about who they worked with up there. They love their state. And so I'm originally from Wisconsin, so I guess I could I could play off that I was a Midwesterner at by heart, but it could have been better. I can't imagine finding another club that I've gotten along with better and had a better working relationship, and probably more importantly, a club that really trusted me and let me, you know, kind of go through the process and then design a course that that I think reflected what we tried, you know, what the club needed and what we wanted to do. It was a Willie Park Junior original design, but it was only six holes. Willie Park couldn't couldn't finish the rest of the course because of financial issues, so Collis and Deray ended up expanding it from Chicago. There they expanded it to eighteen holes.
Speaker 1: Those guys did a course up in Chicago called, I think Gone Flora Country Club.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, you know the Olympia Fields. They have some connection there, and then Phloso Moore have some connection between the two and they brought they actually brought I believe they brought Park over to do Olympia Fields eventually the North of course. Yeah, the North course. Right.
Speaker 1: It's interesting. So when you get this kind of a project, what kind of research goes into the architects and the history?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well a lot. And I think one of the things that I just have an appreciation for, whether or not it's one hundred years old or if it's fifteen or twenty years old, is let's find some history about why it is what it is, because you there's always reasons. There's always a permitting issue, there's always a budget issue, or there's something that goes into the process of why that golf course looks the way it does, and so one of the big things about Meadowbrook is you could tell that it had been expanded upon over a number of years and then they ultimately in the seventies did an Art Hills master plan with a couple hole renovation and Jerry Matthews was another one that had some work on bunkers and a tree planting plan, so they they did a fair bit of planting through the eighties. So yeah, there was so yeah, there's a huge amount of history. But one of the things that I clued in on is obviously wondering what it was that Willie Park Jr. Really wanted it in his eighteen hole design, because there's an indication that he did eighteen hole design, but we didn't have any drawings for it, and so I dove deep into that. So I looked at his green design. I tried to do as much local history. So yeah, there's a tremendous amount of research that goes into it.
Speaker 1: So Willie Park Jr. Is I think in America a little bit underappreciated, but he I mean, he has some of the some of the best designs in the United UK and and obviously he did, you know, he's Maidstone and Olympia Fields North were two of his designs. Here, what are some of the traits of a Willie Park course that might get overlooked?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Battle Creek outside of Detroit. There is another good, really good Willie Park. I actually I think that's one of the better ones. But so to me it feels like he's very driven on locating his greens. And you know, so one of the parts of the of the research is we went over to England and we did as much as we could to see the work in the US. But this place called Huntercombe and a place called Sunningdale Old were two places that we knew or I knew that I wanted to get to get a hold of and actually see. And so we.
Speaker 1: Got a little history.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just a little bit. It's hard, well it's hard for me to figure out exactly how much is still Park versus Colt. But nonetheless we knew that Huntercombe was his and relatively untouched. And so when you compare what he did in the US and then you look at what we all think is really pretty good indication of what he liked about golf or what he thought he liked, it was a little bit of his experimentation course at Huntercombe. You didn't quite you didn't quite relate. So it was obvious that the courses that he were building here, he was doing a lot of work. He came back in nineteen fifteen, back from from the UK, landed i think on tax day in April April fifteenth of nineteen fifteen, and you see all the courses he was doing at one time. So you know, the whole Donald Ross discussion, how many times can he get to a course? And so the Huntercombe project really resonated with us, you know, so a lot more interesting green contours, a lot more diversity. You know, I think Willie Parks tends to do a lot of the same kind of greens. Hey that's a little you know obviously nuances, but you know, back to front, a big deep swale behind. So he was always very specific about locating his greens and and uh and then a Huntercombe you know, he he did a fair bit of drainage ditches and grass bunkers that weren't always didn't have sand in them. Originally what they call over there Willy park potts, you know, park pop bunkers. And so I think we for us, we realized that it wasn't all eighteen hole, an entire eighteen hole Willy Park Junior at Meadowbrook, and that gave us some latitude to bring some of this flavor from from from England. And then I had a committee that that a couple of them went with me to to England to see the work. And we came back to the US and said, man, if we could bring some of that over here, it'd be cool. And I said, let's do it. And so we started to kind of you know, so I would say it's a sympathetic Uh, I don't know if i'd use the word restoration, but it's sympathetic to parks work that we saw. But you know, it was as much of our own interpretation as it was anything that we had any documentation on.
Speaker 1: M It's how important is it to get you know, your committee out to see stuff when you're when you're undertaking a project.
Speaker 2: Like this, I would tell you it's important and incredibly important. It's one of the things that continues to be very difficult because getting everybody in the same place to go travel across the country is is is time intensive, resource intensive. It's great when you have work locally, so the area around Detroit has a lot of the stuff that we would have wanted to see. But you know, we went to Pittsburgh, went to the to Long Island, and so one of our members is very familiar with the North Course at Olympia Fields, and so, you know, it's incredible. It's very important. If nothing else, it's a team building exercise. You actually get a chance to go stand on a green. I remember we went and played Garden City Golf Club. We stood in that you know those greens. Okay, what do we like? What we don't like? And that that's a really cool part of the job I believe is that you know, you get to sense what people are comfortable with. And I'll tell you that my committee was was really comfortable with doing something cool.
Speaker 1: So architecture. I always feel like people have kind of awakening moments at different different times. Is are there a handful of courses or you know one particular golf course that you feel has inspired your career.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm thinking of a couple of backups, but the number one, without any question is the old course at St. Andrews. And it's one of the things that I was in the business for a while before I actually got over there to see it. So as soon as I saw it, that was you know, that was my if you want to call it an awakening, and it was. It was certainly that same question that we all asked, like, how in the world did we get so far away from this in the US. And so I got to come back the old course all the time. And then and then number two is you know, just understanding the impact that it's had on our businesses, the Sandhills Golf Club. I mean that that that one really started to show you that that that some of this this kind of ethic that you brought from that you had from from the old country of Scotland, that was actually coming over here and in such a beautiful place to do it in the sand dunes without an ocean, but you got this ocean of dunes. And so I would say those are probably two of the ones that come right to mind. Mm hmm, yeah.
Speaker 1: They I gotta get over to the old course. That's high on the high on the list of things to do.
Speaker 2: But sand the best part of the old course is walking it on Sunday. I mean, well, one of the good one of the best parts of the old course is getting out there on Sunday and walking around and seeing the greens and watching people walk their dogs and and all that stuff that that's just that's just so cool.
Speaker 1: When you when you go out to say a site visit for a potential project, what's your prep look like? Do you do a lot of prep before do you go walk it blind without knowing it?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: How does that work?
Speaker 2: So one of the things that that I always it's it's kind of interesting because I've had this happen to be a number of times where I go out and I visit a committee with a committee and we go out and walk the golf course, and everybody is looking for me to just start talking, you know, well, I'm looking at this and look at that, when in fact, all I'm doing is just I'm taking it in. And I think a lot of my feelings of design and my philosophy on design is what does it feel like I'm visualizing hitting shots, I'm looking at the forms and features are cool, but I'm just taking it in. And so one of the difficult parts that I've always I've always felt one of the difficult parts of what what we do is is not only looking at it for the first time and seeing it through our eyes, but then knowing how a membership plays it and understanding the differences between the better player versus the the average player. And and so I've been commented that people who just stop me and say, Okay, Anny, what what are you saying now? What are you what are you seeing now? You're not saying anything like what I now. I've gotten to the point where I just warned them. I said, guys, don't think that I'm gonna talk too much. I'm out here. I'm taking it all in. But overall, it's It's one of the things that I like about the focus group portion of my of my process is that I get to know how these guys are actually playing it and not how I would play it. And so, you know, to me, that's there's a lot of time just understanding what they how they play it, what they like about it, what they don't like about it, and then start to overlay my own feelings on top of it under through that lens. So that's that to me is so there's a lot of time, and when it comes down to the actual ideas, I always talk. I'm an eighty twenty guy. I don't know what that with eighty percent twenty percent, I get eighty percent right or eighty percent finished, and then twenty percent you can leave open kind of and ended. And that's kind of where my planning always goes, is a you know, let's get into eighty percent, but twenty percent we can start to refine in the field. And sometimes it's one hundred percent. Sometimes you start all over, of course, but but I always leave a little bit of my interpretation to kind of evolve when we finally get the construction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, with obviously, with restoration is a big topic with the you know, do you put it all back into place exactly how it was at the best time they determined for the golf course, or do you you know, modernize it a little bit and move bunkers into where they would have been given technology and distance lengthening. Where do you have a stance on that or is every situation kind of different?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, the easy answer is every situation is different. But I I would I would contend that that if you're going to call something a restoration, you better be darn sure that it's restored to what was actually built in what it actuallytually was. And so to me, the word restoration. I kind of laugh on it because you know, it's one of those words that everyone loves and everyone gets it, but then it becomes so overused, like just the idea that someone's restoring something sort of gives it this connotation that that it must be exclusive, must be really good. And so so I I'm one that that that tries to, you know, to understand the logistics of restoration and understand if that's even possible, and even if it's if it's something they want to do. I'm working with a club in California right now. We've had this exact conversation. We've got a really good aerial that shows some some the golf course in a state that that a couple of really famous architects have worked on it. And we said, hey, do we want to restore to this and and some of it's not possible, and and then you know, then we have those bunkers that are one hundred and eighty yards off the tee right in the right in the landing area of Missus Jones and and and those types of things. So what what I've tried to do is I always try to go back in and restore the location of that bunker and give it the feeling that there was a bunker there. But I'll maybe soften it, make it rough, but make it part of the composition of the golf hole. Not necessarily put bunkers back, but then use mowing lines and try to do something in turf to actually accentuate that what that course was like. And not necessarily if that is, if we're not going down the restoration tack. But I always like to pay homage to those old features, even if it's a little bump offen the rough that only me and the superintendent know about. At least we know that that's where it was.
Speaker 1: What's your pet peeve at a golf course. I've got mine. I'm just curious what yours are.
Speaker 2: Where do I start green speeds? I can't tell you how many golf courses I know that that consumed way too much energy and too much thought and re versus around trying to trying to get speeds to a certain level. Uh. And then I would also say that, you know, one of my pet piece personally is this idea of designing courses for the better player while making them playable and interesting for the you know, the average player, and you know to me that that is that sounds so easy to do when you apply those to a particular piece of property, and especially a renovation that has limitations it. You know, playing the right set of tease is so important and and so from a golfing standpoint, the idea that any man would ultimately move forward to us at a teas that aren't you know, in his wheelhouse, to me that that's a major pet peeve. But all of the things around length and and teeing teeing grounds is something that that that I probably would describe as a pet peeve.
Speaker 1: It's funny. I so I played golf with a guy that I've played golf with like dozens of times in Florida recently. He's an older guy, and yeah, he likes playing back with me when he and he you know, he's a guy that's played in in a ton of USGA events, Like this guy's a stick. He was, you know, one of the best players in Ohio for a long time and as an am and and it's funny. He's he's getting I think he's close to seventy now. But we played and we had another older guy in the group and he played way up. I mean he played under probably under six thousand yards fifty seven hundred yards, and like, all of a sudden, like this guy was a stick again. And it's like and I talked to him about it, He's like, I love it. Like I play like I used to play, because I'm hitting shots and I'm getting birdie putts when I hit a good drive. I've got a short iron end when I hit you know, on longer part fours, I've got I've got long iron mid irons. But I'm not just chipping up all the time anymore. Like if I mean, he can go play at the back to he's and shoot seventy six, seventy eight, but now he can shoot in the sixties every time if he plays up awesome, and it's just more fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So a little bit going back to Meadowbrooks for a second, there were some people, some gals on our on our committee and in the focus groups, that thought the game of golf was meant to be played driver three would on every part four and part five, and in some cases driver on every part three. That's what they thought golf was. And and when you start to think about that, that there's there's a whole generation of golfers that have not been able to experience the game the way that we talk about you know, the driver short end or a driveable hole. You know, they think of a driverable hole being a part three. It's crazy.
Speaker 1: It's yeah. I think that that playing the right t is like one of the biggest epidemics in American golf and then in you know, Kingdom. Just there's so many golf courses that are like, you know, fifty six hundred yards that's fine, right, Well.
Speaker 2: That's the difference. That's the difference where because there's this discussion about how many t's, how many tea and grounds on a golf hole or too many? Is is three? The right number is four? Is five? Oh my gosh, we can't do six. That's way too many. Well, that only happens when you get yardages above the sixty three hundred yard mark. You know a lot of these even if you get the sixty six hundred yard you might have a little small, little back tea, but you know it's now when you go from seventy three hundred yards all the way down to four thousand, which is what I'm trying to do. It's trying to get this diversification. It's it's hard to make a golf hole look classic and like it fits with all these little pads. So that's one of the things that I think we're really you know, we're really working hard to give that diversity. And you know, combo sets of t's are really popular in my world, where you can only you know, only have to build three or four sets of t's, maybe ones all the way up in the fairway so you're not really mowing that as a tee and then combo in between, so that you have the right yardage that you're looking for, but you're only utilizing three t's. To me, that's that makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 1: I mean, playing more tees and different teas on different holes like is only going to add to the variety of the golf course, especially if you play the the course on a daily basis or a regular basis.
Speaker 2: I totally agree. So so san Holo, I worked on a product in Saint George's Utah Sanjalo, and when I take friends there, I never play from the scorecard. We always have a game. You know, not all my friends are all great players, but you know, well I'm not a great player, But I mean some of them are lesser than I am, but I'll take them to a set of tees to say, Okay, this is what we were thinking about here, and this is where you play it now. And then there's a there's a twenty it's twenty seven holes and one of one of the nines is a kind of an open all mode together concept called the Links nine, and we specifically intended that course to be played from multiple sets of tees so that you could have a different feeling as you played it through. So to me, I never go back to my courses and actually play from the card. I will always take my friends, especially if it's only one time. All right, guys, let's go play from this tea, because this is where it really based on who I'm playing with, this is exactly how it was meant to be played. And to me that you know, of course, that's a little inside knowledge from my standpoint, but the it's it's not very well accepted and not not not well no, not well practiced within our industry for sure.
Speaker 1: We talked about Bandon Dunes earlier, and I mean, I think that was one of the big philosophies of that whole place, was like designing a golf course around like at a yardage where people would enjoy golf.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I mean, well the original course, they've they've even added some tea's going forward. You know, my friend Art Little has been a part up there helping out with this idea of relating swing speed to actual yardage on a golf course. And when you actually use something somewhat technical like that, you start to say, Okay, you know there's certain limitations for actual abilities based on how you're swinging and how far you could actually carry the ball, because that's a lot a lot of what it comes down to is these force carriers are getting up to the fairways. So yeah, but I couldn't agree more. They've done done a great job of you know now they even funnel everybody right to the sixty three or sixty two hundred yard golf course.
Speaker 1: You got your start in the industry in a role for a construction company that is regularly contracted to do work, and curious your take on kind of this design build and versus design contract not really schism is I don't know if that's the right word, but debate that that is, you know, prevalent in golf course architecture.
Speaker 2: Well, that's that's a big, big discussion. So anybody who's worked in a really you know, a good open design build relationship where where not everybody, not nobody on the team is going to get penalized and there's not a major schedule. It's not that we're milking time or whatever. But uh, the design build is by far the you know, the best way to get results and and certainly have you know, some pretty good fun doing it. Where where the design contract starts to become uh, you know, more of a role and there's a lot of talk about design build and and how you know, in the in the twenty thirty years ago, architects would drop plans and then hand them over to a contractor. You know, I get that, and in a lot of cases I've been a part of some projects like that. But that happened for I think a real reason. Even today, even when you when you're doing a design build, you're still having to have a contractor as part of the as part of the team. I've yet even today, you know, to find those That's what we did at San Hollo. We had all everyone on of time of materials, and we started the project and we didn't stop until we were happy with it. But that is so rare these days. Owners want budgets, they want time frames, certainly on a on a renovations schedule. They only want to be closed for a certain part of the season or only one season and that's it, or else it's not going to pass. And so contractors start to bring the ability for architects to meet those goals. And I think, to me, when you apply, then when you apply the actual business of design and being able to only have a certain amount of time in your in your schedule that you know to be able to spend one hundred percent of your time on a golf course, you know that limits you on a lot of other areas. So what I've done is I've set my I try to include design, shaping and part of my contract. I've got a guy that I've done a lot of work with. His named Scott Scott Clem. But I've a great guy, great at architecture, geek. He understands it from what we're all trying to accomplish. But I've other guys that I've worked with. I always try to have somebody there to support me. But but I think as long as you're able to spend the right amount of time in the field, which is what I always try to do, even though I'm not on a piece of equipment. However, I have, I have operated. I just I just don't anymore. And so those guys are a lot better at it than I am. And so you know, the designed contract works for me in the in the times that clients dictate it, and then I'm able to spend a lot of time in the field. So I don't know if I've answered a question, but that there's a lot there on that on that discussion. You know, I've always wondered for guys that are really promoting design build, you know, especially when you know the self operators. You know, I just think of it in my own my own time. I've got a family, I've got three young boys are playing baseball, you know, So I I prefer to try to get it in a position where I where I work with contractors on a regular basis or shapers that on a regular basis, because you know, Scott goes you know, months of a time at certain places when when it's the right project. But you know, the design build has its own limitations, and there's only so much time in a day that if you're going to want to do multiple projects, or if you're lucky enough to have multiple projects going on at one time, design build gets a lot more difficult when you when you spread yourself then.
Speaker 1: Is the efficiencies of running a business. It definitely it hinders how many projects you can take on. I think, you know, I think there's a huge value to you know, the design, build and the work. I think it's a it's a fascinating aspect because you know, I think everything in all of the world kind of tends to swing on pendulums, you know, and in the eighties and early nineties it was way over on the contractor side, you know, this is the way to do it, you know.
Speaker 2: And yeah, what i'd say about that though, you know, one of the things that that that I have to say about the contractor side is that, you know, because the business became so so busy, you now have a lot of people building golf courses who don't even play golf. And that's one of the things that I feel. You talk a lot about the dark Ages, you know, maybe a reference that before you know, a lot of it is people just didn't understand the game and you're now you're asking somebody to put a little curl in a green, a little wrinkle, a little little bump, and you know, Scott and I will shape it in and we'll try to get it in there right, and you know, I'll be out there with my rake and shovel and getting it exactly right, and then the finished crew comes through and wipes it out because you know, the last ten FASIO jobs they've done, that was something that got wiped out. We removed it. Well, no, that was something I specifically wanted there and they'd never seen it before. And so to me, to me, what what the design Builds concept today is really doing is it's putting the focus back on understand the game of golf. And to me, that's that's what's really cool about it, you know, and I think you can get you can get there. You know. Back to that eighty twenty year old we need to make it at least eighty percent right now. The question is how much of that twenty percent. I try to get as close to one hundred percent as I possibly can, and the only way to get one hundred percent is actually being there doing it yourself. Design building. But then again, if I'm there for the last two months doing that. More than likely I missed out on another RFP. I wasn't able to, right, you know, make a visit to go inquire about this other project. And oh, by the way, I just missed three baseball games. And so you know, life happens in between there. And to me, that's where I wonder how the design build will stand up from a business standpoint, because the contracting happened for a reason, and that was to be able to do a lot of golf over a very short period of time. Now we've swung back the other way to your analogy with the pendulum, I just wonder how much we're going to actually be able to you know, whether a design build will actually be a sustainable model for guys like me.
Speaker 1: Hey, I think it ends up settling somewhere in the middle where you know, there's there's a you know, there's a role of each and different projects call for different methods, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think well, and I think a five million dollar renovation is a lot different than a six hundred thousand dollars bunker project, right so I think I think to me, to me, scale and and logistics start to play right in line with, you know, the right construction process. Do you need this kind of contractor with this kind of financial financial sense, you know, or for financial backing to be able to get this project done. I went back to Meadowbrook and I went to them and I said, you know, guys, if you're asking me how to do this right, we should design, build and get get a contractor to help support us, and bring in some some support staff and put everybody on the time of materials so that there's no there's no feeling of you know, of everybody but he getting you know, lost or or losing. And the president of the club at the times that Andy, we just can't do that. We need a number, We need to go to the membership with a number. And I said, well, I can give you a number. Yeah, but we don't have a contract that says that it's not going to exceed that. Well, no, it's a time of materials. But yet you're gonna we're going to manage this. It just didn't fly. Now looking back, he looks at it, he says, oh, now I see what you're saying. That would have been some value there, But there's no way I could have convinced Metalbrook to do that. They're just so we picked our battle and we designed contract at it. Scott and another couple of guys were shapers on it, and then we had a contractor you know, doing the heavy lifting.
Speaker 1: Let's get into some lighter stuff, all right, all right, who do you consider the most the least appreciated architect.
Speaker 2: Least appreciated, underappreciated, underappreciated. You know, I I go back to a guy like Perry Maxwell. I know he's probably gained a little bit more traction in our architecture world than he has in years past, but I got a chance when I live back in Arkansas and Oklahoma in Texas, I got a chance to see some of his stuff, and he built you know, in today's world, he would have been able to build golf courses for almost nothing. He was a great router of golf courses and and did things in the depression that that is probably equal to her or greater than what we did through our own great recession. So I'm gonna say, Perry Maxwell, all.
Speaker 1: Right, what's your favorite design feature that flies under the radar?
Speaker 2: Chocolate drops? I think that I'm a guy that that when you go see a place like gardens of the golf club, or even go to Huntercombe and and see see these old school kind of you know, you excavate and then put a pile of dirt and it just has fescue growing on the top of it. And there's three or four or five of them in that area, and they become part of the the aesthetic of the whole course and the hazard and the strategy. So those I'm a big I love stream features and I love rock walls. I love things that are able to make something look interesting and authentic and maybe old. And I think a good old fashioned chocolate drop does that.
Speaker 1: You like artificial rock walls.
Speaker 2: Well, if they're done in a way we did these. We did these series. I like them when they're done when someone thinks they one hundred years old. So we was getting that. I was helping that. We did a rock wall behind the first screen and along the second tier at Meadowbrook. I did a lava lava rock wall at at st at Sanjalo. We imported this lava from like three miles away, and everybody who sees it thinks it's been there one hundred years. So we work really hard to make it look cool.
Speaker 1: Nothing drives me more than seeing like a brand new rock wall that like you can tell was just installed and just as like screams like waste of money.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah. So so one of the best parts of this rock wall that we did at San Hollo is we stacked them all up and then we'd go periodically with an excavator and push it over like yes, that's right, it fell over right there. So and we go to the next spot and then we took sand and blew it up over the top of it. You know, we crossed one of the holes at San Hullo right in front of the second tee and the links course, so it was right in front of the tees, so the average guy could skip it over the wall. So so we actually piled up and ramped up the sand as if it was a dune that kind of blew over the wall.
Speaker 1: All Right, you ready for overrated, underrated?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess, so let's do this, all right, cross bunkers, cross bunkers. Well, they I would call them underrated in the fact that people just don't appreciate their why they're there, and it's kind of a tended it's kind of a signal on what's happened with the game of golf, where where if a cross bunker is one hundred and eighty yards off the tee and everyone hits into it, the idea that you should have played around it has been lost. So I guess I'll call cross bunkers underrated because they for a period of time they just all but disappeared on our golf courses. But slowly, with this restoration, you kind of you know where restoration has been going, and you're seeing a lot of them come back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, they I feel like a lot of them fell fell to mowing lines shrinking.
Speaker 2: Also, well, I think a lot of them are on the tee. But the ones that I'm having some really good success bringing back are the ones that are short of the greens. And when when golfers actually see that they're there to distort, you know, and that that the better player has an equal problem with seeing where that where it heads, where how far it is from the green, and whether or not they know it's further away, but yet it still kind of gets them thinking. And so that fifty yard bunker off of the green, on the you know, off of the green, and the approach bunkers, I'm starting to see those starting to gain some really good traction, which I'm really happy about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I lost my yardage gun a few months ago, and I'm sorry about that. Well, I to tell you the truth, I've like really enjoyed playing golf without it, Like especially when I got to new golf courses because.
Speaker 2: I don't have one of those.
Speaker 1: I get tricked all the time.
Speaker 2: Well, I think one of the things that we could do in the in the in the rules of golf as we start to bring on this new ball or whatever's going to happen with technology and distance, is it is to allow or to try to promote you know, six, six club, nine club something, you know twelve, you know, eleven clubs, something other than four team. So you get into the tweeter shots where you're actually hitting a seven iron from one hundred and forty yards, And when you start doing some of those things, those four bunkers really become interesting and you actually use them because you know why they're there. You just hit them over the top of it and it runs it out. So I love It's one of the things as a golfer, I try to do more of it. You know, it's harder nowadays because it's rare when well, I shouldn't say rare, but it You know, a lot of golf courses don't well for the runouts anymore. We're trying to get that change.
Speaker 1: But anyway, yeah, I mean, you catch that backside of a bunker that's twenty yards short and you get the it's like a springboard that kicks it right to the greens. That's one of the cool things I feel like has been lost with the way the games changed in terms of the aerial game, is that all these like especially when you go to these Golden Age courses, all these cool little slopes that are short of the green that just don't get it used anymore, or if they haven't been, you know, if the mo lines are off or just sitting there and rough.
Speaker 2: That's right. Well. One of the things that I feel really proud about is the people that have opened their minds to some of the features we did up at Meadowbrook is that the guys that are guys and gals that are struggling are are recovering around the greens like they always do. Just a sandwich and try to get it up and stop near the hole. But when you start seeing the different you know, different backstops and the places for it to feed down into different pins people. You know. I had a guy the other day say, hey, and you have played Meadowbrook last fall. You want you want to know what I thought of it? So yeah, yeah, of course, he says, I thought it was fun? Is that what you? Is that? What you? Is that all right? That I thought it was fun? I'm like, heck, yeah, that's exactly right. And the guys who open their minds of those types of shots are just fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a I mean, like I like to hit like punch drivers on when I play a Burrit's hole that's like a rainer now, just so I can see the ball run through the dire yeah, and and run up to the bat like a lot of times I end up making a bogie because it's or but I don't really care because like I have hockey with that.
Speaker 2: If you played it, you tried it, absolutely better better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's all right. Next, overrated underrated car paths.
Speaker 2: Car pass Well, it's certainly not underrated. I'd call them overrated, all right. I think you're I think you're finding a lot more people being open to other alternatives. I think people people get what we're what we're coming where we're coming from from a design standpoint, more more than just a few years ago. So I think that's certainly overrated, and I think it's trending in the right direction.
Speaker 1: I think my pet peeve, like the ultimate one that bugs me the most is when you see a car path at like a old school golf course that's running down where the fairway should be.
Speaker 2: You know, it's funny you mentioned that with what what comes right to mind is one of the courses we went to go visit in England was Swinley Forest, and I guess I shouldn't pick on Swindley, but you know a lot of those UK courses, they when you think about how carpaths have evolved, they didn't have car pass so then all of a sudden people started driving these buggies and they all drove in the exact same spot, and then they drove in a straight line. So oftentimes they go right down the middle of the fairway. And then what do you do next, Well, there's a path there, we better put some paving, or it might better put some gravel. As opposed to someone saying, you know what, we don't want them to go there, we wanted to go over here, so we don't see the path, and so a lot of times you get to these old courses, the car pass are in no different place than where it was when they first got their first car pet, you know, first golf carts, and so you know, the one of our committee members said, yeah, and you talk about car pass but look at this place. This is a Swinley forest. They're right in the middle of the fairway. So but I agree with you, the less you see a car pass, better would it be.
Speaker 1: I just was thinking about this as like, could you go no car path but then just change like you know, the signed and would that work or would that just not work? You know, like I think it Yeah, never would it work?
Speaker 2: Well no, I mean it would work in some places. But I mean the reason why there's car passes because everyone drives in the same exact spot and it gets compacted and it wears out the turf and then next thing you know, it has a low spot and it becomes mud. So you know, there's car pass for reasons because we have a thing called a car path or golf cart. So as long as we have golf carts, there's going to have to be passed. And I think if as long as we just you know, there's a way to do them well, and I think we It's one of the things we spend an examinant amount of time thinking about, probably more than we'd like to. I'd hoped one day not to do a golf project without car pass.
Speaker 1: Do you think it could work at a at a community golf level, no car path, no carts golf course.
Speaker 2: Well, you certainly could try. I think ultimately you're gonna end up getting into something where everyone rides in the exact same spot. You'd end up having to time.
Speaker 1: I'm saying no carts completely.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well, yeah, I could. I think there's got to be a commitment to to kind of going back to the the caddies and golf push carts to trolleys, if you will. You know that that's the other thing too. A pet peeve is this idea that that push carts or trolleys are are munique golf, that they're not, they're not worthy of the top clubs in the country, and and that I think that it all kind of goes to this erosion of of of the caddies and walking and and you pushing your card, carrying your bag, those types of things. So I think there have to be a concerted effort to be more, to be more health conscious and exercise and really utilize the fact of carrying your bag is that I could workout. And that's what the only workout I get these days is carrying my bag. You got a cool little McKinsey bag. I just I'm not almost always the only one walk and whenever everyone else is on a golf cart and I'm like, well, this is my exercise. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was really tired on my recent trip with Zach through northern California, and you know, I played an exorbitant amount of golf over a few days and and Zach's like, he should just he should just ride. We were at mont Ray Peninsula Club and I was like, you know, man, I don't think I can. My my listeners would be upset with me if I if they saw me riding on a seaside course on a seventy degree day.
Speaker 2: Here's a model that I think needs to be thought of more. Is a golf cart with four, four or five places for carts where the where someone drives it. Yeah, and and and that way, you know, someone's not you know, you're not using two or four caddies, and you got a golf cart and then someone's driving it where they are supposed to drive it. That's part of the reason why golf carts you get in trouble is because you just can't control where people drive carts these days to drive them everywhere. So that's where you have these issues. But I played a little part three course here. You know, they funneled us right into a golf cart on a Part three course and it was a four seater, and my buddies were like, yeah, a force seater, and we put all of our bags on there and I walked alongside of them. And so I think we do have an opportunity to kind of look outside the box. I think if there's more of a concerted effort to do something other than just ram everybody in cards, I think I think there's things that can work.
Speaker 1: Last overrated underrated music on the golf.
Speaker 2: Course man totally underrated. I think I've never been You would never have thought that that would have brought up so many passionate feelings about whether or not loud music on a courses is good or bad, you know, to me, I love it. You know. Of course, it's a little harder to be having music on the course when you don't have a golf cart. You know, someone carrying a speaker along with you is a little bit different, kind of muffled in your bag. But headphones, I think it's an integral part, and I think it's just a matter of time before we start to see it everywhere. Yeah, I.
Speaker 1: What do you listen to?
Speaker 2: What music do I listen to? Yeah? What would be your goat? You know, I'm still on the twenty one pilots recently, so I can't get off of that. But I'm an eighties guy. So I go back to YouTube, I go back to Midnight Oil. That's a not a good one.
Speaker 1: Chili Peppers.
Speaker 2: What's that?
Speaker 1: It's chili peppers? Your time there coming up?
Speaker 2: Right? Yeah, I like chili peppers. That's not a not a go to, but it's definitely in my music list.
Speaker 1: That's hey, the eighties. Yeah, I've always wanted I got to do an architect comparison to bands from like the Golden Age.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, one of the things that I that I think is so I was at a conference through Marriotte Golf the other day, and so I was a speaker on one of their panels, and every time one of their guys got up on stage, they picked their own entrance music. And I'm like, that is awesome, and it's like, we don't have we have so many opportunities to make our to create our own entrance music. Why don't we do that? So I was thinking the next interview that I have, I was gonna try to figure out how to play and you know, enter Sandman from Metallica or something like that is my entrance music.
Speaker 1: The PGA tours doing it at Zurich.
Speaker 2: Now there it is. Yeah, se.
Speaker 1: Becoming more and more prevalent. So hey, Andy, thanks so much for your time. It's been a good talk, and we'll have to have you on again, all.
Speaker 2: Right, anytime. Man. I enjoy what you're doing. You're doing it the right way, I think, and I'm honored to be a part of it. So thanks again.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to the fried Egg podcast.
Speaker 2: We do the digging for you.