Speaker 1: Welcome to Pod Meets Twirled, a podcast that once chronicle two guys who had never seen Dancing with the Stars, but they watched a season and somehow walked away experts. From there, we ventured into Traders, the show I'd never seen but Will swore he could win. And now we turned to Survivor season fifty, the big One. This time the roles are reversed. Will has seen exactly one season the first. Meanwhile, I've watched for years. We are wilfrid l, who prefers his wilderness with room service, and Right or Strong, who will hike any mountain but hates the beach. Two best friends, one devoted to the comforts of civilization, one who would never leave the woods if he could. Both reality competition scholars join us as we dive into alliances, blindsides, fire making, sand related misery, and twenty five years of television history culminating in a massive season. This is Pod Meets Twirled, Seeking Immunity. Okay, should we start recapping the show now?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: All right? So always, you know, they always arrive on an island in a big group on you know, sometimes they've done seasons where they're like on a pirate ship or like a big boat. But for the most part, they get to a location like this and they all just kind of stand there and meet each other. Yeah. In this case is really interesting because they all have history with the show before. Yea, all have known.
Speaker 2: Of each other if they each other, Yeah.
Speaker 1: They've been a part of each other's seasons. It's yeah, this is an interesting one, and it's there's a lot of names. There's a lot of people to keep up with, so I'm not really sure how we're going to go through this, and like even we're going figure we're going to figure out who they are.
Speaker 2: And obviously as they people get weeded out, it's going to be easier to remember everybody.
Speaker 3: It's like Traders. Do you remember who did the first twenty four people in Traders? Of course not, So we'll get there.
Speaker 1: Overwhelming overwhelming, by the way.
Speaker 2: Here's the other thing I will say. It is a It was a three hour.
Speaker 1: Premiere, two hours three really.
Speaker 2: I watched it on CBS.
Speaker 1: Oh, so you had the commercials, right, I had the commercial So I watched it on Paramount Plus, so I guess it was well commercial.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you watch without commercials, there's no commercials on Paramout Plus. Okay, so I have to get Paramoutplus. But it was a three hour premiere. Yeah, it is not hyperbole when I say there is nothing, and I mean nothing I want to do for three hours you name it, sex, eating a good meal, watching a movie for three hours. No, there's nothing I want to.
Speaker 2: Do for three hours.
Speaker 1: Too much Survivor.
Speaker 3: Too much Survivor as the opening gambit, do an hour maybe two hour long thing.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: The ads were insufferable towards the end. They were coming every five second.
Speaker 1: I can't watch commercials, so I'm.
Speaker 3: Just gonna I'm gonna sign up for Paramount Plus today. So you watched it the same.
Speaker 1: Night, you watch it today, I watch it the next.
Speaker 2: There you go that. So I have to watch it the next day without commerce.
Speaker 1: Yes what I got it? Yeah exactly.
Speaker 3: I watched it live and yeah, it goes up in Paramount the next morning.
Speaker 2: So I watched it live. Yes, again, nothing I want to do for three hours straight? Nothing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did think after because you know, normally a typical episode ends with tribal council and right the one person getting voted out, and so it did feel a little long when it continued into the next day, and I was like, what are we doing and turns out we're following.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you ended it was it was yeah, it was Batman Returns and you are the second Christopher Nolan Batman where you finished up with the Joker, and you're like, great movie.
Speaker 2: And it's like, wait, now there's two fays you should have ended this. You should have ended this. Yeah, so there you go.
Speaker 1: All right. So the main characters that we meet in this first beach scene, I guess would be Jenna, who is from the first season. Yeah, and I thought she like amazing shape considering she did this twenty year twenty five years years ago.
Speaker 2: Twenty five years ago.
Speaker 1: God, yeah, so she was only like twenty when she did it or something. I mean, they all still look so good, people who have did it, you know, fifteen years ago. I'm like, how are they not? Like, man, I'm just I'm an old I'm an old dude. Man, I'm looking at this going like I would not fit in on this beach.
Speaker 3: Yep, I thought the same thing. It's like, well, there's no way I'm going to go anyway. But still, and so Mike White is there and yeah, you know who he is, right of course, and the second he got there, I was like, wait a minute, the guy who created School of Rock is here.
Speaker 1: Yes, Like, so he's done amazing race with his dad, and he's a fan favorite. He's actually an incredible player because he's socially wonderful in that he he reads people really well. He doesn't manipulate or lie. Okay, for the most part, he's just beloved people just like him and they don't usually expect like a celebrity version of the show. No, he just always wanted to be on because it was before White Lotus. It was you know, he was at that time essentially like I guess he had done some acting because I think he was in some of his movies. He was in School of Rock, he is Okay, yeah, he would give himself a small part, but no, he was mostly like a nerdy TV writer and he was just the biggest fan. And you know, now he's arguably the most successful lauded writer on television and doing it by the way, Yeah, isn't he great? Like that's the thing. Every he's beloved like he is, He's a beloved and so it's really cool to see that he's coming back and doing it because lord, knows he doesn't need the money.
Speaker 3: And they even say that, they're like, you don't have to be here, and he's like, no, I want to be.
Speaker 1: Here, exactly want to do And you know, I love that he even like gets choked up in that one part when he's like, I've been in moments when I'm working on White Lotus because apparently he writes every episode of White Loads himself and directs them all.
Speaker 2: Do you hear how long the shoot was?
Speaker 1: No, he says it when he goes it's.
Speaker 3: Like one hundred and thirty five days of shooting, strange directing.
Speaker 1: He's writing and directing everything, and you and I know what that means. That's like, usually you have a showrunner who has a team of writers writing scripts underneath them, and then a team of directors underneath them. So the showrunner doesn't write every episode and direct every episode, and he does. Yeh, that's insane to me. Yeah. So yeah, the fact that he is taking a break from that show to go do this.
Speaker 3: Just be shooting a movie every day for five months, right, that's nuts.
Speaker 1: So then there's this guy Devon's Rick Devons, who the idol guy who's.
Speaker 2: Like, oh whatever, yeah, guy yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't remember this guy, so I don't know what seasons he's from, but he seems like quite a character. And I guess his whole jam is that he always finds the idols or whatever, and I love that he just started looking for an idol.
Speaker 2: They also allude to the fact is he a weatherman or a local newscaster or something like that. I think they.
Speaker 3: Alluded to that where they're like, he's the local weather guy or something like that.
Speaker 2: So yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: Then you've got Siri, who is probably like one of the most beloved survivor people. She's lovely and it's you know, her story is that she like.
Speaker 2: Got on the couch. I figured that out.
Speaker 1: Okay, I forget that's and it's it's true remarkable, like how far she's gone and how far she's gone on the show, because I think she's done it like three or four times. And she's a great player.
Speaker 2: And again like not so much with the physical stuff.
Speaker 1: No, no, she always manages to I mean, like you see in this episode, because she's lovely. Yeah, everyone likes her, you know, and and and yeah, be my superpower.
Speaker 2: I just get to try to get everybody.
Speaker 1: To like me, which is great. I mean that's basically Mike does Mike White does that, Sar does that. I think some of the smartest players, it's like, you know, one of the greatest strategies is to just partner with like a really strong.
Speaker 2: Physical like like a giant guy like John.
Speaker 1: If you're like a social player, just latch yourself onto that person, help them, tell them who to vote for, you know, and hopefully they trust you. So you see these kinds of partnerships evolve, you know, where it's like right and and that's something that I think maybe also as a part of the new era versus the old era, because it used to be like such an individual game that people would just like rise and fall based on like just showing up in. Now everybody kind of comes in knowing what their angle is going to be. Am I going to be a challenge person. Am I just going to be an alliance builder? Am I going to be a villain ish type person?
Speaker 3: Right? Gonna?
Speaker 1: You know, and you see that that's also interesting.
Speaker 3: You see people that are clearly also trying to fight against whatever previous persona.
Speaker 1: That that's what makes this season want yes to me? And that's that's what you're that's probably what's going to be the most confusing aspect of this for you. You know, it's just and luckily they're spelling it out, you know, like they're saying, like Ozzie's like I got taken advantage of every time, I'm not going to do that again, and so you you know, hopefully they'll just keep spound that out, because yeah, even though I've seen a lot of seasons, when I'm watching this, I'm I'm having a hard time keeping track.
Speaker 3: It was like, wait, what was Colby known for? I remember the Colby one. I remember parts of the Colby season. Actually, Okay, so I must have seen like a season and a half because.
Speaker 1: I remember it's done more than one. But yeah, but I saw that.
Speaker 3: I think it was the second season because if memory serves, the thing that made him so famous was the fact that he essentially voted in such a way at the end, guaranteeing so somebody other than him one like he gave it away. He could have, if memory serves, he could have voted somebody out, which then left the villain and him and everybody loved him. Or he could have voted the villain out and there was an older woman there who really needed the money, and he essentially knew.
Speaker 2: He was giving it away.
Speaker 3: Wow, and that's what he did, and he became hugely honorable player. And then he went on from him right, Yes, I love totally Team Colby. So I watched another show he hosted called Top Shot, where it's just all the best marksmen from around the world doing all these different shooting challenges. And I watched like three seasons of the act and I find it totally fascinating, and he just seems like a man's man, completely honorable.
Speaker 2: What you see is what you get. I dig that I'm teaking.
Speaker 1: In general, I like a lot of these people. Yes, I like almost everybody except Coach for reasons that I've already expl again, yeah, I don't know him, so yeah, it's not there are There have been seasons of Survivor that are just toxic where you're just like really, oh yeah, and sometimes intentionally so like one of the most interesting, like sort of devastating seasons was they divided people by race on purpose. Yes, so they all showed up on the beach and then they were like, we're doing something different this year, and all the Asian people, all the black people, all the white people, and it was sing weird dude, Oh, I know, and it was weird for them. And then of course they all had to come together eventually, because eventually you come down to an individual game, you just form one tribe together. It was really weird, you know, and it led to a lot of awkward conversations. As a course, they've done it where they've split them by generation, so they did like a generation Gen X versus millennials, and you saw like how the different stre like how you and they were sort of they sort of forced you to consider like what does it mean to be a member of this race or a member of this generation and identifying as part of that or not rejecting that and sort of working against the show's construction, right. And then there have been sometimes where you just have a tribe of like kind of nasty people, like you know, like they come together randomly and you're just like, ah, they're just they're gossipy or they're lazy or whatever. And so you see these different dynamics. This season seems really positive to me, Like I kind of like everybody and I guess because they all come in with experience, they all know that they can't get away with like not working hard or not helping out, you know, Like the one person is Rizzo. He's the twenty five year old, right and Colby, you know, is like that kid's But by the end they have like a connection because I think he sees the value of like, yeah, he's just twenty five. He just doesn't know anything.
Speaker 3: He's also keeping arm morale up and hey, let's do a fashion show and it's like, okay, you need that too, like which made me.
Speaker 1: Love Colby like that he was really just like one thing and then be like you know what, Yeah, I mean, we're all it's it's a good season, man, it's a really.
Speaker 2: Good Okay, all right, good, Well, I'm glad I'm coming back on it one.
Speaker 1: It's positive. It's definitely feeling positive. But yeah, it is interesting to have this like this. We're not discovering their personalities the way you normally are, do you know what I mean? Like normally a game of survivor. This entire first episode is just like who are these people? And like what jobs do they have back home? Why did they do this show? This one is like, well we all know this band of you know, characters, and it's so now we're kind of rooting for known personalities, which is it's gonna be a different it's a different vibe.
Speaker 3: Has there ever been a season so I was curious about this, ever been a season where you either get to pick your own tribes or you do something to pick a tribe as opposed to like, we've already picked when you get in.
Speaker 1: They've done them random, they've done them random seasons. Yeah, I think it's been random, but I don't think it's it's it's not usually I'm taking you like school yard pick. I don't think they've ever done that, but maybe they have. That's the thing. They tend to keep the show evolving, sure, which is smart. You know, it makes for good TV because you always yeah. And then you know, as opposed to traders, it's ay, they've seen, they've learned a lot. You know, they've had twenty five years to taste to figure out what works and doesn't, and so they're usually pretty spot on.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, So this season they're leaving it up to the fans to decide, which means the fans have voted on some of the rule dynamics that have changed throughout the years. So did you notice did you vote no? I wish I had. I would have done it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, would you have voted the way that it seems like the fans voted No.
Speaker 1: I can't believe they're making a murder for them. I can't know, because that's if the first vote is whether they get rice and supply. They have to earn it. They have to earn it, and they made them earn it. I absolutely, I think it's a struggle, you know, Like I think it's such a struggle. It's enough of a struggle that like, because you know, here's my problem. What happens when you have to earn it is that often because if you lose an immunity challenge, right, and that means you're going to lose one of your members, you have to vote somebody, You have to vote somebody out that night. If that also means you don't get supplies, your tribe is gets just getting weaker and weaker. So to me, it has a snowball effect. So like if you're a winning tribe, you just keep winning. So what happens with these situations is there's often and this has happened like a lot of years, there's just one tribe that just keeps losing for the whole first like six episodes, So you're just watching these people get sadder, weaker because they don't have fire, they're not getting food, they're not getting rice, they're not getting their supplies, they're not getting fishing, so they're just so it it ends up being like the winners keep winning and the losers keep losing vibe. So that's why I'm like, I like the idea of like, no, give them equal across the board to start, and then you know, have it balance out based on who wins the immunity challenges who doesn't, as opposed to like this person won the first one and they're just going to keep winning, which is already kind of feels like it's going to happen that way. I don't know, all right, So, yeah, the fans have decided to not give them rice or supplies and unless they do this first challenge, and you see that the challenges are usually pretty balanced as far as there's like a physical component there. Yeah, there's a puzzle element. Usually there's swimming, so it's this game is really well designed as far as the challenges go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's tough though, because there's some designed or they can target one person in the group to show how weak they can be, which we saw in this episode where it's like, uh yeah, it just makes that one person look real bad.
Speaker 1: Well I forget who said it, but they were like, we bottlenecked on that one. Yeah, and it's true, like that was the guy with the that was Beaty.
Speaker 3: That's what I call him, the guy from uh Beat's also from Hunger Games. It's one of the guys who won the Hunger Games. But he's like a he's a nerds Christian. Yeah, who's a total nerd and and you know those are my people and the idea that nobody else everyone's like, you can make fire with glasses, Like really, you never burned ants as a kid with a magnifying glass, Like you've never heard of this.
Speaker 1: It's so cool though, I know. That made me so happy that they figured out.
Speaker 3: Science and you start doing that in the first grade, I know, but it was nobody figured that out. Come on.
Speaker 1: It was really cool though. All Right, So the first challenge is usually involve like mud and paint, and that's because they want to have great opening credit sequences. Okay, so you always owed the opening credits were usually they list all the people you know, all the survivors, and you get them in shots with their names. So just remind you of how that's how every episode starts, and they always take all the footage of that from the first challenge they're covered in mud or jumping out of water or whatever. So this one they got to dig under a log, right, and then grab a paddle through a puzzle situation with like a metallic thing, then another right, So you see there's all these different roles. So it's more about teamwork, right, It's it's more about figuring out who on your team has what strength and like and and you know, going selecting for them.
Speaker 3: Well, it's a brain, a brain and brawn as opposed to brain versus you need to use everything.
Speaker 1: And it's just it's really about the stuff that we don't get to see often, which is how they strategize for the challenge because they have, like I don't know how long before they actually run the race or whatever, to sit there and go, you're going to do this, I'm going to do that. And some of the most interesting parts of Survivor are when you get to see those conversations. They often edit them out mostly just they've just edit around them. I would love to see them because there have been times when somebody's like, no, no, no, no, I'm gonna be the one to do this, and then they screw it up so bad that the rest of the team is like, we knew you shouldn't have done that, and you know, it becomes part of the social dynamic to whether you volunteer for certain things or if you're the person who just never pulls your weight, Like at a certain point, they're gonna be like, dude, we're losing challenges or we're not doing as well as we could because you're not doing anything, you know, and then then you'll get voted out. So yeah, it's it's yeah, it's interesting. So Va Tu Sila and Calo yep so Va two. Stephanie gets under the log and gives that a huge lead fast, I know, and this just sort of sets them to win. I mean they just never no one can ever make up after that.
Speaker 2: She was flying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought, you can see how certain people are just going to be amazing to challenges, right, like Coach out of the Gate, Auzzie just unbelievable as always, like you can just see, like and then there's that.
Speaker 3: Giant, giant gant Jonathan where it's Mike. Mike White is literally like, are you a giant? And he's just going fee five.
Speaker 2: That's correact.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And those those people you need, you know, like to gu their challenges.
Speaker 3: Unabashedly will tell you that I spent forty five minutes last night googling and deep diving where to get Jonathan's patchwork pants?
Speaker 1: Wait? Where are his patchwork?
Speaker 3: He's wearing these awesome like patch together pants, and I spent forty five minutes trying.
Speaker 1: That's trying to find this pair of pants to buy. Are they like basically apparay board pants?
Speaker 3: No, that they just look like comfy, awesome hippie like you were a pirate. And you know, I'm still trying found versions of them, but not those actual ones. But god they were good. So if anybody knows where I can get them.
Speaker 2: Please let me know where I can get those pants.
Speaker 1: Survivors. So it's so funny because they always you know, this one not so much because they're a lot of times they come in like out fits that represent their their like life back home, you know what I mean. Like if they're a lawyer, they come in a suit. Time and it's like by episode two, they're just bathing suits and buffs. You just watch them like stripped down or turtle.
Speaker 2: Neck sweaters and long trench coats exactly.
Speaker 1: But stuff gets frayed over time. By like the third episode, they're all just dirty and miserable, you know. Love it's that Yeah, and you'll see they lose weight quickly. This is the best anybody is going to look. As one of the.
Speaker 3: Reasons I want to go on this show, I just want to want to drop a few.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's it's shocking when they show flat like when you get to the end of the season and then they show flashbacks to like, you know, the beginning of the season, which was only like twenty days earlier, but they look like different human beings. It's really intense. Oh man, I wonder how, like do they have mirrors for them to look at before they go on.
Speaker 2: I doubt it, you know, I you know, I'm guessing they don't.
Speaker 3: Is because several a what would drive me nuts is that you're covered in sand and itchy probably all day. Yeah, and they had there's a couple people that had like sand right at the edge of their noses and stuff. Like that where you know, if they had a mirror, they would have been knocking stuff. So yeah, they just it's probably like, hey, you're on the island now, don't worry about how you look.
Speaker 2: Just go win the game.
Speaker 1: God, it's so it's so uncomfortable. I hate the beach so much, right, So, like I would much rather do alone where I don't want to be alone, but I would much rather it be in a cold, windy environment with like, you know, trees around me than like this kind of exposure on the beach, Like.
Speaker 3: No, no, you're this is this is you know again, when I at first when they were exiled, which will get there, I was like, Oh that's not gonna be that big a deal.
Speaker 2: And I was like, oh that's gotta suck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, all right, So Vatu wins this first challenge, so the other teams just never made up that lead that Stephanie got from coming out into the wall hugely incredible. And then we have this single players sent for supply challenge and that ends up being Coach Azzy and.
Speaker 3: Q and Coach and Ozzy apparently have a history.
Speaker 1: They go back, they were rivals, and I thought this was super interesting because you know, they kind of shook hands and apologize both of them to you know, put it behind them. But didn't seem to last long, did it? No?
Speaker 3: And you wonder again, knowing nothing of their history, I didn't know where I kind of thought Coach was in the right until later, and then I was.
Speaker 1: Like, maybe he's not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dude's so yeah, I didn't know.
Speaker 1: Coach is. You know, he's just he's one of those guys who likes to be called coach, you know what I mean, Like, which is weird enough. He likes to lead yoga on the beach and like he says, like a lot of like fortune cookie kind of you.
Speaker 2: Know, give us, give us a coaches before we start.
Speaker 1: He wants to be like the like benevolent, wise, uh new age leader. But then he's kind of just the guy who does whatever it takes to win. And that's that contradiction is sleazy to me, Like I just I get that. Yeah, but you know, he's got his supporters out there, and it is a game like you gotta win by by being manipulative at some point, so.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So these are all three very physical guys that they send on the supply Challenge, which turns out to be smart because it is a physical challenge, although it's it's you know, you see, like Ozzie out of the gate, is just insane, like he's already way ahead of the other two even though they're all pretty fit.
Speaker 2: I didn't know how good this guy was.
Speaker 1: Is that good? But then it turns out that doesn't really matter much because this stick challenge is just so ridiculous. They have to tie these sticks together go through a fence to get a key that it just clearly cannot reach. And yeah, and there's this little tense moment where Ozzie says like, hey, you know if I'm not if you knock it off, I'll let you have it. Or what does he say?
Speaker 3: He says to Q like no, I think maybe in a que that says like, hey, man, if you knock it off, I'm not going to steal it.
Speaker 1: From you, right, I'm not going to steal it from here.
Speaker 2: And then the coach was like, I made no such promise.
Speaker 1: Yep, And that's exactly what happened, and that just a scramble for yeah, right, and you know, to be fair, and Ozzie's not like super pissed. I mean he's just like, yeah, that's kind of standard, coach, but I.
Speaker 3: Was gonna say, it seems like it's pay He's like, yeah, it's part for of the course. The guy ten minutes ago or whatever, now an hour and a half ago told me I'm so sorry. We're good, and now it's like business as usual.
Speaker 2: It's like okay.
Speaker 1: But so it's interesting with these kinds of solo missions that you get sent on. You see it later in this episode too, they can really backfire on you because people don't trust you when you come back because there's often secret advantages given. So, like my rule of thumb is, never go on a solo adventure. You never volunteer to do this because it rarely works. I find it's like you find yourself in a sticky situation where you're like given the choice to steal a vote or lose a vote, which is kind of what happens here. You know, like Q gets kind of screwed right like her, he sold his vote to get the supplies and Ozzy to his credit, Ozzie, this is what he's learned from past seasons, which is that he provided for everybody by catching fish and it never helped, like he still got screwed. Ironically, he still ends up doing that at the end of this episode. He's still providing and being a sucker, but at this point he takes a stand for himself and says, no, I'm not going to take the machete in the supplies. I'm not going to give up my vote for that. I'm gonna let you take it, you know, which is super interesting. He's like, I'd rather just go home empty handed, which I thought was kind of an evolution for him and a smart move, just like I think him partnering with Syria is a really really smart move. So he's my guy. Man, I'm I'm.
Speaker 3: Okay, interesting interesting team Colby at this point because he's the only one I kind of know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's it. He's the only dude I know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let's see Vatu coming back. After a commercial break, this is where we have Angelina, Stephanie Colby. Stephanie and Colby are immediately working hard and strategizing. The key starts naming names, singles out Rizzo for being you know, talking too much and working too little, and I mean my immediate sense was like, oh, this season is like people know how to play because what usually happens on this first day is you get to the camp and people are just like, oh, we got to build a shelter, and they either just focus on building a shelter and they don't talk any strategy and that can really screw you. Or people get to the beach and they just decide to like socialize and get to know one another and they don't take the time to build a shelter, and they get screwed and they have like a miserable night. So it's really interesting to see the people who have played before they know to strike that balance immediately, like you need to all be working as hard as you can but also find time to assess each other's character. And Colby's a pro dude. He's immediately doing that. You can see he's working so hard, but you know, building a shelter, but then automatically turning to and like assessing everybody around him, being like, we need to do this. I'm with you. Super super smart player, and they all are pretty smart players.
Speaker 3: He reminds me of Rob c from Traders, if he wasn't bad totally, meaning like everyone's gonna like him. He's a man's man. He's gonna pull his weight and challenges. He's going to be friendly, he's but he's still going to play the game.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: So he's got that kind of vibe to him. Yeah, which you're just I mean even the other all the other players are like, dude, Colby, like, I'm so sepy And this.
Speaker 1: Is what's probab. The problem is when you're that dominant physically and like, once you get into an individual game, you're the first one out because because everybody want to keep you to win against other teams. But then when it's against each other and you're you're the biggest threat. Like, so that's why the big challenge people like Ozzy and Coach like they are, they are kings up until the individual game. That's it. Then then the individual game flips the entire thing.
Speaker 3: And then but the individual game isn't all isn't also stuff that you strengthen speed, but it's.
Speaker 1: All your own against yourself. And also you also, if you have a good social game and you're friends with everybody, even if you don't win an individual immunity, then you're not going to get voted out. Do you see what I'm saying. They're going to vote out so there are sometimes when it's like you have these physical you have these games. I'm forgetting the one guy's name. He had to just keep winning physical challenges because everybody was like, we're voting you out, we're voting you out. And he won like five in a row because it was his only option, do you know what I mean? And then at a certain point people are like, well, he's just going to keep winning individual immunity, so we have to make an alliance with him. But it's so interesting the game, the way the game changes from.
Speaker 2: Group and right, does that spen it normally?
Speaker 1: When it gets down to like ten ish people, I think eight, eight or ten people?
Speaker 3: Well, see the question how many how many episodes of Survivor are this is a full season or their twenty something episodes?
Speaker 2: Or is just like ten or twelve episod?
Speaker 1: No I believe there's like twenty two. Yeah it's a full season. Okay, all right, all right. So then over at Collo, you've got d who I remember and love. She's a great player. Charlie is an incredible social player. He's like he's the younger guy, kind of skinny guy. He's like a huge Taylor Swift fan. He was from like a couple of seasons ago, and he had a really smart game where he he did this thing if I remember, and it's him that like he studied all the individual immunity challenges and noticed that there's a preponderance of challenges that require like this muscle like on your arm or your your fore arms or you're like the back of your he because they'll be like you have to sit on a ledge or hold this thing up right. So he spent months working just those muscles and it totally worked. It was amazing. So he's like a real survivor strategist. He also do this really smart thing where like in the last season he picked like two older women and was like I'm going with you all the way because he knew that like those are going to be the social players that could like help him out the most. And he's just a he's a good guy and a good player. I don't think he won, if I'm remembering correctly. He didn't win, but he ended up in the final.
Speaker 2: This is Charlie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Charlie, great guy. And then Giant a Giant and then the same team you got Mike White showing off his abs, which is hysterical because he is like, you know, his first couple of seasons, he's like the pasty, nerdy guy. You're like, this guy does not belong on the beach, and now he looks like.
Speaker 2: And everyone's like, he's got six packs.
Speaker 1: And this is where he starts crying about, you know, almost crying, talking about how survivor experience has helped him get through his tough challenges on White Lotus and that's why he came back, which I think is so cool.
Speaker 2: Super likable this guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, a lot of them are likable, man, yes, really yeah, yeah, it's not like old there have been seasons past. We're just like, I hate these people.
Speaker 3: There's only one to me this entire first episode that I didn't find amazingly likable, and that was Jenna, right, yep, yeah, and that's the one that went away.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's what I mean. It's a good season. So it's like it's like a positive this season, you know, like it's so far.
Speaker 2: See the second she came in, she came in guns blaze and.
Speaker 1: Not play that hard man pay. The same thing happened on Traders. You cannot come in like too hot. It really like, I don't understand, Like, dude, you have to just play the long game. No, that's what Mike White is a genius at. He's always like, let other people make the decisions, make let them be aggressively forming alliances and making enemies, because you can inevitably make enemies. So just let them do it and you can fly under the radar. I mean, it's it's a genius strategy.
Speaker 3: It's you know, it was so funny because she's the only one. I was like, ooh, I don't I don't like her.
Speaker 1: That was it.
Speaker 2: That's what happened.
Speaker 1: There you go. So that's on Sila and we go to that tribe. Next, you got Joe the Firefighter. He's another great guy. He's like a super big dude, big beefy challenge guy who's also pretty great, Like he's a good dude, and then.
Speaker 2: He saves people's lives for living what do you expect exactly?
Speaker 1: And then Sarria is just sort of like the everyman player, right she is that she's always been a fan favorite because she's the audience, oh, the audio, the biggest audiencer. Everyone just loves her. And then you got Jenna in this team, who, yeah, you know, I like, yeah, and it's funny because I wonder you know, I'm actually not she she hasn't played since season one, has she?
Speaker 2: No, she hasn't yet.
Speaker 3: That she that you know, they're on the beach for it seems like four minutes unless they edited it weirdly, and she's like here here, so we're going to vote Soria.
Speaker 2: Who's who's voting?
Speaker 1: Set?
Speaker 3: And I was like, oh my god, you're kind by the way, my name is Dave, Like I'm on your team.
Speaker 1: You know, you don't even know she's she's I think she's been watching for the last forty eight and nine seasons and been strategizing and she did it too hard, like she's just like and she she is right that Siri is a huge threat because surely everybody loves her, not only the audience, but like in the tribes, people like her.
Speaker 3: Do that. No, man, but you slow burn it, you know, I mean, come on, that was that was even I knew that was terrible strat And.
Speaker 1: Then we've got Savannah, who apparently just won season forty nine, which I didn't get to see because my son and my wife watched it with out me, So I have no knowledge that you're still right, because Ruezo is also from season forty nine, so I have no but she seems great and she admits to them that she won season forty nine. Yeah, which means she had two weeks off. She says, Oh, that I think is given going to give her a huge advantage if she's fine, you know, like she like if she and I guess, is she the one that like starved herself before coming on and one maybe I think it's yeah, when she's playing well, and that's that's going to help her because she's she's you know, she's also a younger.
Speaker 3: I would imagine everybody, if you're running, it's a lot easier to run a marathon. If you don't run thirteen miles one day, stop, take a good night's sleep, get a rest, and try to run thirteen miles. It's easier to just run the whole damn thing at one time. So she's just made marathon right now, exactly. Let's just keep going crazy, all right.
Speaker 1: So we actually already covered what happens next, which is a supply solo run with Coach and Aussie and Q, and the way that that ends is with Coach returning to Carlo. He gives his toe ring to.
Speaker 3: Charlie, which you've been wearing since nineteen eighty two?
Speaker 1: Did he say full of toe? Jim? You just know that's so gross, But Charlie's kind of a good sport about it. I guess Chrissy and Coach have this moment in the water. Chrissy's already targeting D because she won before over.
Speaker 3: I was amazed, frankly because just not being not knowing the show, was amazed how fast the kind of quote ute scheming starts.
Speaker 2: I didn't know.
Speaker 1: I know it has to because that's the thing. That's what always used to happen, is that people would just be like, we got to just survive, and they wouldn't focus on the gameplay and they would just get screwed. So these people they know that the earlier you form alliances and don't deviate from them, the better off you are. Like if if you can actually find your ride or die and you have the numbers, you know, like you got to stick together because otherwise you have to figure out who you can trust and never turn your back on them, because well, you're right.
Speaker 3: It seems like they've done They've all done this so many times, Like we all notice skip the four play. Let's just get right to the business. Exactly what seems to be happening.
Speaker 1: Right over on Cela. You have Rick Devans, the like idol hound guy, and Christian and him this whole Kirk and Spock relationship.
Speaker 2: I love these guys.
Speaker 1: These guys too. I love how much they love each other. Isn't it the best when they're like I was hoping it would be you and they're like, I could kiss you. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love these guys. And then against.
Speaker 1: Emily on board, Emily is a great player. It's interesting because Emily was a huge underdog her season, and she even talks about it right here, and it seems to be in the underdog because she was completely underestimated her season because she wasn't like physically like in it, and she even socially just sort of didn't have a lot of friends immediately. But now she's in a situation where people know her and like somebody like Rick is aligning with her right away. So she's finding herself in a new position where she's like actually being by people because she's, you know, used, she's not used to that.
Speaker 3: It's she said that she's like, I'm this is so strange like people want to date.
Speaker 1: Which is it's good. It's like because she is, she's a really good player. She's yeah, she's actually very strong. Surprisingly, over at VATU, you've got Colby and Kyle forming their thing.
Speaker 2: Kyle, okay, Kyle Frasier right.
Speaker 1: And Kyle and he's the one who hurts himself at the end of this episode, which is such a bummer.
Speaker 2: It sucks. I will get well because he's a.
Speaker 1: Really good, good dude and would look, you know, I look forward to seeing him play. They lock in Stephanie.
Speaker 3: By the way, just since we just talked about him, and we will get into the surgery. But he did release a statement he it was torn and he needed surgery that way.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, dude. You could see when they squeeze his leg and it doesn't.
Speaker 3: Close, and you could see when they did, there's a big He's like, you want to look for dark spots.
Speaker 1: I'm like, you mean like that right there? Dude. Oh poor guy sucks. So then Kyle and Genevieve lock in. So you've got a pretty good alliance. But then what sucks about this alliance is they lose Kyle by the end of this episode, and Q comes back with a vote. So they're yeah, they're not in a great decision.
Speaker 2: It was a tough it was a tough run for them.
Speaker 1: So then Aubrey is one of those She's a again like a sort of underdog of her season who really did well because she was underestimated. And it was really interesting the scene between her and Genevieve on the beach where they're like kind of not trusting one another because I sort of see each other's game. It was a weird tension.
Speaker 2: It was cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so it's good. We'll see how that plays out. So Ozzie and Q are stuck on Exile Island. You can see how miserable that mis Ozzie spent an entire season almost on Exile Island.
Speaker 2: Oh but this is the guy whoever you said every time, then I have a fish.
Speaker 1: Dinner for you. He would We wait, yeah, and then he would because then what they would have to do that season. They had this whole system where if you got exile or if you got kicked out of your tribe, you went to Exile Island, and then you had a contest with whoever was over on Exile Island, and then if you if you lost to them, you'd get kicked off. So Ozzy stayed on Exile Island for like five rounds and people just kept coming through and then he would kick their ass and a challenge and then he was fine. Like it was. It was super interesting, but oh geez. So for all of the people to be stuck on an exi island, Ozzie was easy the best one, okay, but just looks miserable. Dude. They're talking about all the bugs all over them.
Speaker 3: And it looks like it's cold and the wind and you're not going to sleep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, looks awful.
Speaker 1: So then they have this this agreement where you know, Ozzie says he's not going to take the supplies and go back, and Q is going to return with the supplies but not.
Speaker 2: Have not his vote.
Speaker 3: What would you have done, as somebody who watches the show, which one's more important the supplies are the vote?
Speaker 1: It depends on how how good you're feeling. The problem is right now, these guys have no reason to believe they have anybody rooting for them. Is it just this week?
Speaker 2: Did he lose the vote for just this week or the next time he goes to tribal council.
Speaker 1: No, it's just next time he goes to tribal council.
Speaker 3: Okay, so if the team doesn't go to tribal council for five weeks, yes, but then he gets to try counsel.
Speaker 2: He's lost this vote the next time they go.
Speaker 1: But the real problem is, like I would say, take the supplies and give up the vote. If you you're you're you're confident that you're you're protected back home. Right, these guys have missed the entire first night, so they didn't get to strategize that there is no confidence in like their team, and that's why Ozzie is like, I'm not giving He's like, I'll be fine because I'm a survivalist. I don't need the supplies because you know, really, what I think is Q should have gone back and said I lost my vote guys for you to give you a supplies, so please don't vote for me because I did the right thing for us to have a machete and for us to have a pot. Like the fact that he comes back and lies is I think kind of a bad call because I think you, like I would, if you take the thing, say you did it, and that will earn you social capital. That, you know, to make up for the fact that you missed everything. That's what I would have done, and that's you know, Ozzie. Ozzie is fine because he'll he'll provide in other ways and he's like, screw it. But yeah, I think it's super interesting that that that Q comes back in lies. I this is the part about going on a solo journey that I never want to do. So often they come back with an advantage or a disadvantage. But you have to make up a lie. Man. You just say, oh, I never found anything, or in this case, he makes up some like coconut chow.
Speaker 2: We had to run fifty yards with coconuts with something.
Speaker 1: Were thanks, keep simple lie with thanks, all right. So then we have Christian with a lens starting to fire, which I thought was so cool, and Aussie helps him get that. People like it was shocking what you do what? I don't think it's ever happened on Survivor. But I would totally learn. I would like, yeah, I would be reading everything about local court flora and fauna and know everything.
Speaker 2: How to make the bow and the spindle and do everything and.
Speaker 1: How you get the why not? Why not? What else are you doing besides like talking to people.
Speaker 2: If Tom Hanks can do it on an island, we can.
Speaker 1: So uh Suri and Rick Devn's meet up and he tells her that Jenna's throwing her name around already, which is why you don't play that hard that fact which she was Seren and Ozzy lock in, which I think is super smart for him and her because she, you know, she's not a big challenge person. So and then he tells her that he has this extra vote and this is you know, this is where the backstory that you don't know is that he always gets screwed like he always he always has an idol, he's always winning challenges, and people just backs down him because he's too much of a threat and he's so likable that they know that if it goes to a jury, he's probably gonna win the million dollars, you know, because that's at the end. You have to bring two sometimes three people with you to the end, and then it's the people that you've kicked out during the individual who vote which one of you gets the million dollars. So you want to you want to like basically you want to get up there and kick people out, like vote against people, but let them know that you're hat yes, because if you are just like two manipulated, two mean to people, they won't ever give you the million dollars. They'll hold that grudge. But then there's this other thing where sometimes they just turn around, they're like, you know what, you screwed me over, but well played. You know, like, if you're upfront about it, we pinky swore. See. This is the aspect of traders I think was missing, which is the jury factor. Like you, because the traders, you could just be the biggest scumbag ever because you're rewarding for it. There's no incentive to be somewhat nice to people. Yeah, that's what I like about survivor is like you can't just lie cheap steal. You have to like actually be kind of.
Speaker 2: Because you have the people, yeah, exactesting.
Speaker 1: So you have to strategize enough or be friendly enough so that you're not just yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: That's an important aspect. That's an importantsage, dude, It's huge all right.
Speaker 1: Over at they're having this fashion show which is hysterical and gets Kolby to come around on Rizzo, and Rizzo cries calls him like a father figure, really sweet moment. I love you.
Speaker 3: It was a sweet moment until he looked at him and said, my dad's forty seven, and I wanted to throw my remote through the TV, Like are you kids younger than me?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: God, crazy crazy.
Speaker 1: Over at Colo, you got Jonathan and Mike doing yoga on the beach. Jonathan and uh coach uh form an alliance. Uh, We've got there's so many people talking to so many other people.
Speaker 2: That don't so many things I don't understand.
Speaker 1: Eventually, we don't need to cover all of this because it will become So let's just get right to the challenge. This is basically this is the centerpiece of every episode is you have this challenge, and this is where you get to see you know, the rubber meet the road of their actual abilities and his teamwork super fun and this is where they can win fishing gear. So they got to jump over a ramp, go through the mud man. Kyle has this leg moment which you could see him push himself so hard. I mean they are beasts. Those guys like throwing themselves up the ramp.
Speaker 3: Slams on that ramp too, I mean like slams on al and I both like us. Yeah, it was one of those things where but they're doing it on purpose where they're like, the first thing you gotta do is go through a ton of mud, so everything else you do is slippery. Yeah, and it's like they're doing that on purpose obviously, like you we're gonna go.
Speaker 1: Oh but again to get those great opening credit shots because now they got them like crawling, Yeah, looking, it's going to be amazing.
Speaker 2: I felt that guy.
Speaker 3: Anybody who's done anything to an ankle or to an achilles it is.
Speaker 1: I couldn't believe how he he wasn't showing his pain like he was just because he didn't want to let it stop him.
Speaker 3: Of course, and they would have kicked and they would have kicked him out.
Speaker 1: I know, you think about it. He actually did snap his achilles tendon. Yeah, so that had to I mean I thought that he twisted his ankle basically till he was broken or something mean too, but he I think snapping your tendon is way worse, and probably so the fact that he plays it off because he doesn't want to stop the game, like dude, that guy's champ.
Speaker 3: And those are injuries that end careers in sports, and I mean that's they're huge. Yeah, they're huge, and he did he had surgery. I guess that same week they had to rebuild everything.
Speaker 2: Yikes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a guy I can think it was last season bit by a snake and they had to pull him because it was a genuinely poisonous snake.
Speaker 2: Oh God, they can't just give him a snake bite and let him go now.
Speaker 1: They were like, we it's too much of a risk. We've got to pull you from the game because we have to monitor you for like twenty four hours. I know. It's the worst people get pulled for this kind of thing. All right. So this is where Syria was holding up her tribe with the monkey fist throwing such a bummer.
Speaker 3: But it's also this is where where certain things like these challenges are Again this is the first one I've seen, but very clever, because what would appear to be the easiest part of the challenge is actually arguably one of the most difficult parts of the chest.
Speaker 2: You've got to throw this little thing through this thing.
Speaker 3: Hey, it might not be as physically demanding as the other stuff you've got to do, but you got.
Speaker 2: To be real good to do stuff like this, And it's all on you.
Speaker 1: Yes, you don't want to volunteer for this position, to be honest, unless you like know that your this is your skill set, you know. So it's a real problem that sere volunteered and that they let her. Yeah, and I'm surprised that that didn't come up more like in tribal like they you know, yeah, yeah they yeah. I think people just didn't like Jenna people.
Speaker 3: I don't think so she plays. There was a lot of good reason to vote out Sirie right here. It was one hundred per hundred percent. But it's also it's one of those things everybody, anybody who doesn't know football thinks being a kicker on the football teams, like it's so easy.
Speaker 2: All you have to do is kick the ball.
Speaker 1: Everything's on you, everything's on you.
Speaker 3: Yeah you got Yeah, you might only have one thing to do, but it's an exceptionally difficult thing to do.
Speaker 2: And it's all on you.
Speaker 3: And so it's that moment where it was like, but here's the thing. Had Jenna been nicer about it, she wasn't wrong, No with It's like, hey.
Speaker 1: Sarri, I honestly thought once after this challenge, I thought Syria was gone.
Speaker 2: Me too, and maybe should have been.
Speaker 1: Maybe I could not, But I think I think Jennais was too much of.
Speaker 2: A agreed She's unlikable.
Speaker 3: She she came on way too strong, and they were like, I'm not sure I want this personality around us, right.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's that moment when Emily throws out Ozzy, which was like, I thought, oh my god, but that would be playing too hard too early, because then you lose the benefit of your tribe in challenges because Ozzie is such an acid. Yeah, but yeah, I mean, but it already shows that Ozzy is going to have the biggest target on his back once again for this entire He needs every advantage he can get because he he's just too much. He's too good at this game. He's it's like he was made for Survivor in a lab. You know. I think he grew up in Mexico at like on the beach, you know, like I think he grew up in a situation where he was swimming and fishing every day as a kid, and so that this just feels like home for him. It's crazy.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: After the challenge, Christian gives this little pep talk, his little football like speech, and then that just becomes this is the they know they have to go to tribal, so this is what happens. Then it's just a scramble. And this is why you have to have already hopefully solidified your life, right because this is where everything changes. These hours between finding out you lost the challenge and then that night going to tribal, and this is where the show gets insane. Like you'll have episodes where this will be like forty five minutes of the episode because people are like, wait, you said you were going to do this, and I said I'm gonna do that, and then last minute and then they get to tribal and they change at tribal with looks to each other. Dude, it's so dramatic because this this These are all good players. So you notice when they get to tribal they just speak in general aphorisms. Do you notice that they never say any So what what amateur players of Survivor do is they get to tribal and they say, well, well we're going to vote sie and they just say their strategy and and then it always backfires, and like so you just keep your mouth shut, do not reveal anything. And that's what Jeff's job is to try and get them to reveal something. It's leading questions of like how was your day after that challenge? Weren't you guys thinking serie.
Speaker 2: That you put yourself on the chopping block there.
Speaker 1: So his goal is to try and bring out the conflicts and to have them reveal their plans of what they're voting for. And really, what you want to do is go into trible and not change your mind, right, Like, the worst thing that can happen is to be surprised at tribal. So you set your plan, you set your alliances, you look each other in the eyes, you shake hands, spinky square, whatever you need to do, and then you get to tribal and you just keep your mouth shut or you open your mouth and say nothing. You just generic speak, and yeah, these guys are all so good at that. You see him play it out like nobody makes a mistake. But you watch earlier seasons, dude, or seasons with Nubes on it, and they're just like they're like I was feeling this way and now I'm not sure. Everybody just turned to them and pounced like they're just like all right, you're out of here, or somebody will say something you know, offensive, or it's it's like, so these guys are all pros. They're not making any of those mistakes, which makes for kind of a boring tribal. I'll be honest. The best it'll get better, Oh dude, there's the best tribals are when you have like immunity reveals, or when people are like getting up and whispering to each other, Like they'll get up and start whispering, and then they'll other people realize those two are whispering, so then they got a whisper to their teammates. And then people are lying to your face like no, no, no, I'm fake whispering. It's okay, and you're like it's over. It's yeah. So it can be crazy, but this is a very tame trible. I was surprised, I'll be honest.
Speaker 2: I wanted her to go, but I was surprised.
Speaker 1: I did not think they were going to vote for Ozzy. But I did think that there was a chance that it was going to be a you know, Surrie was gonna go up.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean again, judging by just what we saw, Serrie was the logical choice. I flat out She's the logical choice we had. We lost the challenge essentially, or at least you took us out of the possibility of winning right legitimately, so you know, but again, had Jenna not come so hard so fast.
Speaker 1: There's something slightly poetic about the first first season player being the first one.
Speaker 2: I just want to go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, her exit speech is one of my favorite things in the world.
Speaker 1: By the way, I can't remember what she was.
Speaker 2: She's just like, I'm just really happy to be here.
Speaker 3: It was so sweet and that, you know, it just shows men a lot to me, and I hope they lose every single challenge, and it was just like, oh shit, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know enough about her. I never actually watched the first season, so I don't remember.
Speaker 2: I remember naked Guy. I'll always remember naked Guy. That's it.
Speaker 1: So Jenna is voted out tribal she I think. I'm happy about that, but I don't know if it was the right choice. I agree, like I think if you're just thinking strategy, because Sarri is going to be a monster player like she has done so well, so you do kind of want to get out a big player or early, especially a big player who's not good in challenges, right because that person is going to be better in the munich in the individual game, and you want to keep somebody like Ozzie or good at challenges now, and Jenna was good at challenges, like she was physically keeping it up and do you know so.
Speaker 3: But not a single person except Jenna voted for her, not a single one.
Speaker 1: I know. I think it's either be one or two. I know. And yeah, considering the Sury screwed up as much as she did, that's pretty it shows that she's really unlike, yeah, all right, so at Vatu you get this Kyle's ankle situation. Uh, and yeah, and then unbelievably, Genevieve finds an idol or a wrap of something wrapped up.
Speaker 3: And I was like, oh my god, I don't know what any of this means.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you kind of don't. The reality there are there's usually hidden stuff. Sometimes it's an idol, like in this case it is the special Boomerang idol. But other times you'd just be like, uh. Other times it'll be like a what's called a beware advantage, which is something you find that says you can take this, but it also can backfire on you. It'll be like you get to vote for the next you know, you get an extra vote, but if you don't use it, you get a two negative, you know, two rounds. But in this case, it is just this boomerang idol that you give to somebody.
Speaker 2: This was convoluted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you give to somebody on another tribe.
Speaker 3: On another tribe, and either you're giving it to somebody you want to eventually build an alliance with, or somebody you want to get out, because because if they're getting voted out while still holding the idol, so they don't use it, Yes, it comes back to you and you can do it again.
Speaker 1: Yes, And so she makes the best choice she could, which is to give it to Aussie because that's actually happened to him. He has been voted out with an idol in his pocket, and you know that he is probably a target because you know he's always a target. So I think it's really smart. I mean, then why wouldn't he use them?
Speaker 3: Why would he if he's always a target, he knows he's constantly getting screwed.
Speaker 2: Why is he getting kicked out with idols in his pocket.
Speaker 1: I'm confused by this. Is if he uses the idol, does it come back to her too? No?
Speaker 3: I think then it's dead. I think if he's kicked out with it in his pocket, it comes back to.
Speaker 2: Her, and if he uses it, he.
Speaker 1: But he's also a very powerful player, so it's a smart move because if he if he doesn't use it and up until they merge, she could form an alliance with him. Of course, she could be like, hey, I'm the one gauge. So even if he does play it, he's going to owe her, you know, Like, let's say he plays it before they merge, and then they merge. She said, you're going to be able to say to him, like, dude, I gave this out, gave these people here, I chose you to support your game. That's a I think it's a good move, man. It's like you want to pick a power player.
Speaker 3: Basically, she decided it was a fine day for a white wedding and ended up with a Billie idol.
Speaker 2: So let's never forget that, my friends, because it's important.
Speaker 1: All right, And it's always interesting to see who they tell and who they don't when they find an idol, right, because you really don't want everybody on your tribe to know you have an idol. It's like it's one of those things but you usually want to tell at least one person, but then of course that person has the power to betray you by telling other people. Now here's my question.
Speaker 3: If what's the downside of telling everybody on your tribe, like, hey, everybody, I just want.
Speaker 2: You to know I found an idol.
Speaker 1: Then they might force you to play it, like they might then vote for you just to get rid of it. Because every time an idol gets used, it comes back into the game in some form.
Speaker 3: Okay, so they think, very I make you use yours and eventually I might I'll come back.
Speaker 1: Or you're just don't want somebody to have an idol knowing you know, like yeah, so you'll blindside them. If you know somebody is an idol. The rest of the rest of the tribe will probably just blindside you for the sake of flushing the idol, or they'll just make you play it. They'll be like, we're voting for you, so now you have to play it because they don't want you to have the advantage over them. No, it's tricky, man, it's tricky at all. It's so then we have this like journey where boats show up and again I say never or volteer to go on a journey, but Mike goes on the journey, Savannah goes for Cela, and Kolby goes, Now, Kobe did it.
Speaker 3: If what you're saying is true, then Kobe did it the right way then by going kind of essentially saying, I I'm not happy about this, I don't want to go, but if everybody wants me to go, I'll go.
Speaker 1: Yes, And Savannah it was random, I believe right, that was just a numbers game they did, like whoever picked closest to sixteen?
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 3: And then Mike was like, I never got to go on a single one when I was on. Let me, let me do it take a journey.
Speaker 1: You surprised he did that, man, because yeah, you get into some sticky situations on this journey and as it showed it happened, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so Mike, Mike goes and they tell him that Coach robbed the key from Ozzy, which snaked it from as ends up you know, does at first does not seem like that big of information, but it kind of plays into the rest of the episode.
Speaker 3: Does and kisses Ozzy off something fierce because he's honorable, like a coach coach off.
Speaker 2: Why are you because now and writers tell me you're not so honorable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they they draw rocks and Mike goes home immediately, which is such a pointless journey. Yeah, what was the point of the boat ride? You know? Here's the thing. It just it can see suspicion in your tribe. Like he's gonna go home and say I came home empty handed, and like there's a big chance that people won't believe. You know, in this case, I think that they actually believe him. I don't think I don't anybody.
Speaker 2: I'm gone for thirty seconds r.
Speaker 1: But also he comes back and he gives that information about the coach, and that becomes more important to everybody than the fact that he came home empty handed. But he you know, a lot of people lie, they get an advantage. They come back from a journey and they're like, there was nothing, we just to our beach. So when Mike comes back, he's lucky that they actually believe him because there's hurting chocolate, there's nothing there. It's just me by myself, all right. And so then we have a Savannah and Kolby doing the stacking gig jenga like game and does going high when she's shorter.
Speaker 3: Terrible thing to do, man, really, yeah, with you got you gotta make it wide and stable. I mean at that point you're just you see how much his hand was shaken too.
Speaker 1: I mean his hands are like, oh my god.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, you gotta, you gotta, you gotta. You know, it's a foolish man who beats his house upon the sand. You gotta you gotta build that base.
Speaker 1: So he loses his vote, and now it seems like she's just gonna keep her vote, right, But then she gets to the boat and they give her a secret block of.
Speaker 3: Vote, which which you said tends to happen. Yeah, you get some kind of thing something.
Speaker 1: So Mike returns tells Coach the gossip, and Coach takes it hard, which you got the allowsand yard stereo, I know, dead behind me. And then he's like, oh right, he wants to play hard. He's gonna turn on Ozzie. So all their apologies and like last yes, which you know, Ozzie was like just telling the truth, Like it's not like he went back and said Coach is a snake. He went back and said Coach stole it from me, after which she described exaccurately.
Speaker 3: So coach forty five minutes in my was killing me. I finally knocked it off and east all of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: That's what makes sikes all right. On Vatu, you've got Q and Coleby both down votes, so they're in a tough spot.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: On Cela, Savannah comes back and doesn't tell everyone that she has a block of vote and buys it. Doesn't believe her, No one buys it, doesn't believe her, so instantly, That's what I mean.
Speaker 2: Instantly, So it's just.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they don't turn on Mike, which I'm curious if that's going to happen because he came back it up and see I'm.
Speaker 3: Wondering if it's one of those things though where he was gone for five years or yeah, he's gone for five or seven a likability like Mike, and he came a good piece of gossip, yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Whereas Savannah, you know, she's a player, she just wants, she wants. She's they're like suspicious of her.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, now does that does anybody? I mean there are episodes where people are like, Okay, I don't believe you.
Speaker 2: What did you get?
Speaker 1: Yes, oh yeah, okay. Often they'll just call them out and then that person can decide like I'll tell you the truth okay, or please don't tell so and so or whatever, or they make up a lie and they just insist on it. But lying in this game usually doesn't work very long. Like you usually want to confide in somebody, at least one more person, Yeah, because it because just lying to is. The more people you lie to, the harder this game gets, I find. But you know, like I said, I'm the type of person who just hates lying.
Speaker 2: Hey, it's also a good good rule of thumb for life. More you lie to, the harder it gets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then Jeff shows up with the medical to check Kyle's achilles heel. This was just such a bummer.
Speaker 3: It also shows some pretty phenomenal advances in medical technology when the guy is doing it ultra.
Speaker 2: On his phone. What the heck, dud dude?
Speaker 3: Insane? Yea insane? Cool me too, I thought the same thing. I'm like Wars or Star Trek.
Speaker 1: We're literally in a Star Trek seeing right now your tricorder? Yeah, exactly, I can't scan your bone and your liked, Oh tell me, Jim, I'm just trying to see if he snapped us a killing.
Speaker 3: So c.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're in the middle of the jungle and we're like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do you need a giant piece of equipment and I'll do it on my phone with a little thing crazy.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, this was a lot of coverage. Man, this is a long episode.
Speaker 3: It was, and I don't mean to make it any longer. But as you do know, I am an expert on all things.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 2: I was first an expert on the history of dance. I then became an.
Speaker 3: Expert on the history of the most famous traders that I've ever walked the planet. But did you know that there's also some serious survivors that have walked the planets with some incredible stories, and I'm calling them all I do by heart encyclopedic or for people in my generation card catalogic.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: I liked walk through the dew decimal system of my mind in a section that I'm calling Will's history of famous survivors from stuff that happened in history in the past past.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: So you know that I work on it perfectly. I'm going to start with a very interesting story. This is the story of somebody named Ada Blackjack from nineteen twenty one.
Speaker 1: Oh what a name, great name, Blackjack.
Speaker 3: She's also known as the Forgotten Female Castaway. She was stranded on an icy expanse of Wrangele Island in the Arctic after a doom expedition for.
Speaker 1: Nearly two years.
Speaker 3: She relied on her resourcefulness and determination, hunting and foraging to stay alive as the only survivor despite overwhelming ods and isolation. Ada's quiet strength helped her endure until rescue arrived. Her remarkable stories attribute to perseverance in the harshest conditions.
Speaker 2: Wait with black What year is nineteen twenty one? In the Arctic? A woman by herself of black two?
Speaker 1: I wonder what she had with her like as far as like was she you have shipwrecked supplies like.
Speaker 2: I can't tell you. But you should go study it yourself, is what I would say about you.
Speaker 1: I want you to. I can't believe that hasn't been made into a movie. I'm sure it will be absolutely a to Blackjack, the Forgotten Female Castaway. Yeah wow, all right, you've been listening to pod meets Twirled. The torches may be snuffed, but our questionable analysis burns on We'll see you at the next tribal
Speaker 3: M