Speaker 1: This episode of the Chuck Todcast is brought to you by Wild Grain. Wild Grain is the first bake from frozen subscription box for sour dough breads, artisonal pastries, and fresh pastas, plus all the items conveniently baked in twenty five minutes or less. Unlike many store brought options, Wild Grain uses some simple ingredients you can pronounce and a slow fermentation process that can be a lot easier on your belly, little gut health there right, and richer in nutrients antioxidants. There's also no preservatives and no shortcuts. The Wild Grain boxes are fully customizable. In addition to their variety box, they have a gluten free box, a vegan box, and a new protein box. I will tell you I have done the gluten free box. I have done it a second time. I have also used the code, the todcast code. If you use the promo code toodcast at checkout, you get thirty dollars off. I've already used it as a gift to somebody else who loves this bread. It is hard to find good gluten free bread. It is fantastic. They give you step by step instructions. I really dig this. There is nothing like having an artesion bakery in your freezer to chase away the winter chill. Now is the best time to stay in and enjoy some comforting homemade meals with Wild Grain. I obviously highly recommend it. It is worth giving Wild Grain to try. Right now. Wildgrain is offering my listeners thirty dollars off your first box plus free croissants for life. Come on when you go to wildgrain dot com slash podcast to start your subscription today. That's thirty dollars off your first box and free croissants for life when you visit wildgrain dot com slash podcast, or simply use the promo code podcast at checkout. This is a sponsor I absolutely embrace, so use that code well. Joining me now is one of those you know, I'm I am A. I hate this cliche, but sometimes some people actually live the cliche. This person needs no introduction. It's ken Burns, and he is as I was joking with him before in my own team. I may season pass subscriber to ken Burns, and yet there are still ken Burns documentaries. I have not fully consumed. My biggest regrets so far, as Jazz, I have not fully consumed Jazz, I will make that confession. But you know, it's one of those cases where every time you think there isn't a new story to tell, there's a new story to tell, and Ken burnsfuys that story to tell. Ken, It's good to see you.
Speaker 2: It's good to see you too, Check, thank you. You know, I think if I were given a thousand years to live, which I will not, I wouldn't run out of topics in American history. And there's something just incredibly wonderful about saying that, particularly in tough times where we're sometimes avoid the tough times. But history's so instructive. You know, we're way more divided during our Revolution, way more divided obviously during our Civil War, way more divided during depression, way more divided during the Vietnam year. I mean, we tend to think, as kind of narcissist Dick Chicken littles that our time is the worst. It's got to be bad, and there's history is there to say, you know what. I had a friend in the financial services you'll appreciate this who came to me in the after the eight meltdown and he said, this is a depression, and I just I said, you know, in the depression, in many American cities, the animals in the zoo were shot and the meat distributed to the poor. And that happens.
Speaker 1: It's a depression.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a depression. And so like right now, we're not. I don't want to minimize whatever pain he was personally going through or professional going through. But I do think having perspective is a really important thing in history. Is the best teacher there is for giving you a kind of perspective?
Speaker 1: No, And obviously we're having an argument on history sometimes, right we're having I and I actually this I want to begin here. I think the most remarkable accomplishment you made with American Revolution was how limited the critiques were, what I would call the partisan critiques. I know you felt. I'm sure you saw them, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Sure you're right. You're right, you're right. I mean my feeling is and I do this with every film. You know, Mark Twain once said, if you if you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything. So I said the same thing in the year of promotion of this thing last year to Joe Rogan and Theo vanas I said to the New York Times editorial board as I said to inner city school kids in Charleston and Detroit, and suburban kids in Chicago and the forty cities we went to in the eighty different screenings and the six million podcasts, I felt like I did, and all the other interviews, and because I was trying to reach everybody, this is a story for everybody. And problem is that right now we've gotten to a place where we want to limit everything. It's you have to pass a litmus test, you have to sign a loyalty oath and nda to your real feelings. And I want to speak to everyone. And so I assumed if I could just get to October before the mid November broadcast would be okay. Well, October came and went, and then November broadcast came, and in the middle of it there were a couple half hearted this is woke, sort of superficial dismissals. It was really clear that the people, the authors of two or three of these things had watched maybe twenty minutes of the thing.
Speaker 1: And this is a.
Speaker 2: Film, by the way, that suggests that the American Revolution is the most important event in world history in the last two thousand years, and that, oh, by the way, a guy I'm sure you've never heard of named George Washington is the person most responsible for our success in the creation of our country. And somehow because there were women in it, and somehow because they were oh my god, black people in it, and somehow because they were Native Americans and there were other people from other countries who were engaged in this World war in addition to our revolution and a bloody civil war, that somehow this is woke. And then you realize where is the wokeness? Actually is it in the litmust of one side of what it should be? And that's what it is. Wokeness is just a miss test that is fearful of the truth. And it occurs in both ends of the spectrum. And and in fact, I don't think there ends.
Speaker 1: I think there.
Speaker 2: You know, we discussed this before. You know, a third of Bernie's supporters stayed home, a third voted for Hillary, and a third voted for Trump. So you've got a circle here in which the far left and the far right are often much closer than we would think.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, that's why you know, we're all taught the pendulum right when it comes to that, is that at some point the two ends could meet. And you know, in fact, I like to warn some of my friends in the business community, watch out if there is a if the populace on the right drop their cultural grievance and you just have all of the economic grievance parts of the electorate unite, we would call it the FDR coalition, and it could It could end up not be pretty transformational. I don't want to say I agree.
Speaker 2: You know, for a couple of different times in a coup role of different positions standing in very different political ideological places, the Republican Party has been the most successful political party on Earth, and a lot of ways in the last fifty years, is getting.
Speaker 1: The most successful third party.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, exactly started it, by the way, in a schoolhouse in rip On, Wisconsin, in eighteen fifty four with one platform out of the Demond dispute.
Speaker 1: There's still a dispute between a place in Illinois and a place in Wisconsin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, I hear that all the time. I'm opting for rip But the whole idea is that they're anti slavery, you know. And so then you come full circle where you know it's successful in that it's gotten so many people to vote against their economic self interest because they've been able to interpose enemies. The great bugaboo of political distraction and ledger domain in sight of hand is to say it's oh, it's them, and to create them. And I can tell you right now, I mean, my bottom line is I've been making films about the US, but I've been also making films about us, right the lower case two lighter thing. And there's only us, there's no them. And whenever anyone tells you there's them, you're having the woe pulled over your eyes. You're having a distraction take place in order for you to think it's actually an economic interest that is of central value to me is not as important as the thing that those people might be doing to me.
Speaker 1: What's always helpful about your documentaries is that I do think they have a point of view, but it's not this left right point no, no, no, no, it is it is more of a larger, you know, sense of you know. Just so, how would you describe, for instance, your point of view for the American Revolution? You clearly at a framework that you want to do and check the story with.
Speaker 2: Not really, because what happens is when any whenever you say yes, and your heart and your gut, whatever you choose, you don't know anything about it. I mean, I got the general edgic, I got a good education. I know a lot about history. And yet when you say I'm going to do country music or I'm going to do baseball something I grew up playing, oh well, finally a subject I know about. Each day of baseball was a humiliation of what I didn't know. And so revolution you just automatically, so you're not looking. You've got a chronological structure. It's already there, that is to say, and then and then and then, so then how you begin to put it together. You're absolutely right that there's no political thing. You just want to say what happened, and you want to call balls and strikes. And I would suggest that in our media culture, as diverse and as multitudinous as it is a kind of tsunami of information, it's relatively the same. And so we become a kind of highlight reel. Babybruth only hits home runs. Well, Baybruth struck out way more times than he hit home run. And more importantly, bab Ruth only comes up once every nine times at bad So sometime as the last World Series showed you a second basement, a middle infielder, not the star, becomes central to the outcome of a very dramatic thing. And so what we've tried to do is always keep that in mind. Do you scrimp on your biography of Babe Ruth, No, you tell a complete one. In this case, the Babe Ruth is George Washington. We don't have a country without him. But then you also introduce people to scores of other characters that are bottom up, probably for the most part, but they also are central to what happened. They're the calling of balls and strikes, and I think there's something exhilarating in that complexity. And this notion that, certainly among authoritarians, that you want to reduce it to some simplistic slogans is ridiculous. Ridiculous.
Speaker 1: How do you deal with you know, one of my one of the things that obviously the more you read up on an historical event. I'm obsessed right now with the period between eighteen sixty five and nineteen twenty eight.
Speaker 2: We're making a film on it called Emancipation to Excess, about reconstruction and the filon.
Speaker 1: Period, and you know, it's it's you know Garfield's the you know, I view Garfield as of all of our assassinated presidents. You know what the modern myth making around Kennedy was, actually that could have been Garfield, and Garfield absolutely, you know, Garfield could assigned.
Speaker 2: The Civil Rights Act has a great book on this right.
Speaker 1: And there's a couple of them that I've read now. But in order to understand eighteen eighty, you got to understand eighteen seventy six. And this is my long winding road to get to the eighteen seventy six. A lot of people have written the book about the eighteen seventy six election. There's all sorts of scholarship on it. And what I've noticed is that the author's politics matter a lot when you read, when you consume these books, and it's become to the point where I am get frustrated sometimes by his history books when you realize, no, the author has their own point of view and they start with it. And then and then it's sort of I don't want to say it poisons it, because if you know it in advance, you know it.
Speaker 2: Does poison it. Chuck, because you're smart and discerning and have read enough. But for the people who are picking it up. They then become.
Speaker 1: What if it's the only thing they read about it, only that's what I always worried about it, Then that's what I worry about too, And that's why I can't do that.
Speaker 2: I can't ignore that George Washington owned hundreds of human beings. You can't, as the writer Rick Atkinson said, and you know he's now two thirds the way through his Marvel's trilogy, you can't square that circle that he makes, you know, tactical mistakes, that he's rash on the battlefield. But all the other things add up to something. And you don't need to throw the baby out with the unforgiving revisionist bathwater. Nor do you have to subscribe to the Parson Weems treaqily. You know, never tell a lie, chop down on Jerry Dreeley, throw a coin across the doll. You can you can unsubscribe from both of these tyrannies and come to a much more complex thing. And that's where you bother people. Because they want things to fit in. They just want it to be white, or they wanted to be male, or they wanted to be simple, or they wanted to be still entrusted with the barnacles. But we don't even have to look at the big ideas that we're supposed to be protecting, because if you look at those big ideas, you begin to understand even further the complexity and the beauty. You have to go into fiction. You have to go into William Shakespeare to see all that.
Speaker 1: So what I'm curious about is when you're dealing with source material. Maybe it is Abigail Adams letters, right, maybe it's Ben Franklin letters, and you really have to understand the language of that day to get certain nuances. You've got to understand that a turn of phrase that may be meaningless to somebody reading it two hundred years later actually was incredibly important. And I often find that sort of what I would call the amateur historian, and I would put myself in that where I could misinterpret reading something because I'm reading it through the prism of today's American English language, and I just think about those issues. So, you know, when did you realize as you went through this over decades that you've done this. I assume over time you've now you're now almost an expert at seeing this. But when you first ran into this challenge. You know what were the what are the different ways to deal with it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what? It manifested. I think I'm quite lucky it manifested less as a challenge. It is always a challenge than an exhilaration. The idea that information could be delivered in a way that I wouldn't or you wouldn't speak it suddenly becomes I mean, Lincoln didn't go around saying four score and seven years ago. He was just trying to ask you to think about eighty seven years in a different way, that's all. And it was a great rhetorical device for score in seven. So you have to do the math yourself. He's got you. As you're doing the math intention you're paying attention, and you've been sucked in, and you begin to understand. And so what you find in all of these parsing the last sentence of the first inaugural taking, the Declaration of Independence, A few phrases past the pursuit of happiness, we can get to that which is really loaded and wonderful, particularly for today. He says, all experience has shown that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable. Maybe you've read it at the picnic before on the fourth of July, and just let it go over. Think about what he's saying. He says, all experience has shown that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable. Not hard to parse means Heretofore everybody, he has been under an authoritarian's boot and have been willing to suffer for that for a thousand years working someone else's land, you know, for a thousand years being a slave without even earning a farthing. Right. But this is going to be a new era. This is going to be a place where we're going to replace your subject hood with something much more responsible, coled citizenship. So let's go back to pursuit of happiness. So we've always assumed this is the American license for freedom. He didn't follow John Locke and said life, liberty, and property. He said pursuit of happiness. And so happiness was not the acquisition of things in a marketplace of objects, but lifelong learning in a marketplace of ideas. If you did that, you would become more virtuous. That was the free electron word throughout every episode of the revolution. As we began to gather stuff. John Adams is worrying about virtue. Abigail's worrying about that. George Washington, everybody, even the folks at the so called bottom, are thinking about it. And so virtue becomes a thing reaching back across the Middle Ages, the Dark Ages, back to antiquity, the virtue that was going to make you able to assume the mantle of this, and Adams, at one point great worrier says, you know, there's too much avarice and ambition, too much lust for profit, not enough virtue that I wonder whether we have the ability to create a republic. So what happens is by isolating these words, by getting great actors, I have the best cast I think for anyone ever made, bringing them to life in a way that you say, oh, I now know what that means. I get it, and you begin to see that those differences which have held these people. They're wearing hoes and breeches and they've got you know, powdered wigs.
Speaker 1: They're not me.
Speaker 2: There's no photograph of anybody, so they can't be like me, and they are exactly like us, and they are. One of the more moving things Chuck to me is that they're speaking to us like all the time Washington and Jefferson Adams too says about the millions yet unborn. They are taking an idea that's never been tried. The chances of success that, like Sington Green, are zero, and yet they're thinking about you and me. And so the strawdinary story of our founding is the fact that, as the Old Testament says, there's nothing new under the sun, guess what on July fourth, seventeen seventy six, there was something new under the sun. Now does that mean that there's not the same quantities of virtue and venality and generosity and greed. Nope, that's the same thing. And you can find him in our story then, and it will echo or, as Mark Twain said, rhyme with the present moment. But you have to be disciplined as a storyteller not to date your film by pointing arrows at isn't this so much like today? I began this film when Barack Obama had thirteen months to go in his presidency, right, lots of water under the brid No one was talking to fifty no one was celebrating. Now people are saying, oh, you're so smart, you figured this out. You came out exactly the right time. I went the total total luck of the draw.
Speaker 1: History is always the right time.
Speaker 2: History is always the right time. There is no clearer statement than that. And then when you do that, and Mark Twain is right if he said he says history doesn't repeat itself, but it rhymes, you are aware. I mean, I'll tell you there's a if our film is just like, by chance, come out a year earlier than it did in the Fall of twenty four. You knew what was going on in the Fall of twenty four. Well, we follow, among dozens of characters, one hundred and fifty different characters in the film, the wife of a German general who's heading to join Burgoyne's army and her husband for their triumphant victory at Saratoga. Doesn't happen. The French come in blah blah blah. I'll give away the punchline. However, she's doing the perilous Atlantic crossing a little bit nervous because she hears that Americans eat cats. Now, nobody said anything this fall, but if it had come out, they'd go burns. You know what he's trying to do, You know, I mean there was a letter that didn't make it into the film. But Jefferson's trapped during the Constitutional Convention in Paris, and he writes a Madison who's writing the code. The Constitution is not pros except for the preamble written by Goriuvenor Morris in New York, but says what if someone should lose an election and pretend false votes and reap the whirlwind?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: I mean they were trying to reverse engineer for all the things. So the founders are no.
Speaker 1: I mean I I look, the Constitution is such a brilliant document.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, four pieces they are still.
Speaker 1: And it anticipated all of these issues we're dealing with today. The thing that the Constitution that those that wrote this Constitution didn't anticipate was that they were going to be these five hundred and thirty five individuals who didn't bother to read Article one. That's exactly what I was just going to say.
Speaker 2: Uve El eleven, the conservative scholar told me the Scott the founders would not be surprised that someone who was seeking monarchical powers is that Article one, the first article that Article two is the executive that's the manager of what Article one did. And the third article. Is the judicial that is going to judge this and pass on it is that they had abdicated their power. That would be the great overwhelming disappointment on the part of the founders. If they look they'd be happy that we'd survive, surprised and so many of the changes, and not surprised that there could be you know, power grabs.
Speaker 1: You know, it's funny. I keep going backwards about like when did Congress start to abdicate? And you know, you can keep going back. I've taken it all the way back to nineteen twenty and the decision no longer to expand the size of the House of Representatives. That moment in that decade when they chose to stop expanding the House, they actually stopped. They stopped implementing the founder's vision.
Speaker 2: And you had a complex modern world, a twentieth century that is going to be within ten or fifteen years working at a kind of lightning speed. That always makes the argument of authoritarians that I need to decide this in advance of your cumbersome democratic process. Trust me.
Speaker 1: This episode of the Chuck Toddcast is brought to you by American Financing. So if you looked at your credit card statement. Lately, you're working forty fifty hours a week just to buy groceries and gas, things that used to be able to afford right, and the credit card companies are charging you over twenty percent interest for the privilege. Think about that. It's a lot of extra money out the door. It's designed to keep you under water. Well, American Financing is doing something they hate. They're actually trying to help people. They have mortgage rates in the fives. They're showing homeowners how to take their hard earned equity to wipe out that high interest debts. The average savings is eight hundred dollars a month. So talk to a salary based mortgage consultant, no upfront fees, no obligation, commission, none of that, to see how much you can say. And if you start today, you could delay to mortgage payments. Give American Financing a call America's home for home loans eight six six eight eight five ten eighty one. That's eight six six eight eight five one zero eight one, or go to Americanfinancing dot net. Slash the Chuck Podcast use that code. This episode of The Chuck Podcast is brought to you by Zbiotics. Let's face it. After a night with drinks, it's hard to bounce back the next day. You have to make a choice either have a great night or a great next day. Well, that's where pre alcohol comes in. Zbiotics pre alcohol probiotic drink is the world's first genetically engineered probiotic. It was invented by PhD scientists to tackle rough mornings after drinking. Here's how it works. When you drink, alcohol gets converted into a toxic byproduct in the gut. It's a build up of this byproduct, not dehydration that's to blame for the rough days after drinking. Pre alcohol produces an enzyme to break this byproduct down. Just remember to make pre alcohol your first drink of the night. Drink responsibly and you'll feel your best tomorrow. Now. Look, I don't drink anymore, so I can't give zbiotics pre alcohol a personal endorsement. But my producer Lauren does Drake and he tried it out. Lauren, how was your experience, I'll be honest, Chuck.
Speaker 3: I was a bit skeptical at first, but the other night I went out with my wife to our favorite spot from Margarita's and tried pre alcohol beforehand and got to admit I was surprised by how good I felt the next morning. Disable the pop right out of bed, get a workout in, have a great day of work. So pre alcoholic gets my stamp of approval.
Speaker 1: So there you go. You ready to try it, Go to zebiotics dot com slash chuck podcast right now. You'll get fifteen percent off your first order when you use Chuck podcast at checkout. Plus it's backed by a one hundred percent money back guarantee, so there's no risk. Subscriptions are also available for maximum insistency. Remember to head to zebiotics dot com slash Chuck podcast and use the code Chuck podcast at checkout for the fifteen percent discount. Again, use the code Chuck Podcast. I would argue we basically one hundred years of congress eroding away its own and they did it to themselves. They did it to themselves.
Speaker 2: But I would say it's been most noticeable in the last few years where you've just the century just all all of this, you know, undeclared war stuff all well.
Speaker 1: It goes back to nine to eleven. I mean, you know, and and fear does that right, Fear.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right? And whether it's real or not. The manufacturer of fear in a populace allows them to say, okay, please, Mussolini, make the trains run on time for me. Please. All right.
Speaker 1: Let me ask a few questions because missus Todd wanted one, which is, does does your Ben and Franklin doc change if this had come out first, if American Revolution had come out before Ben Franklin.
Speaker 2: Well, it's funny that it's a really that's a very smart question. First of all, we'd already been well underway on the American Revolution before we even said yes to Franklin and began working.
Speaker 1: On Oh interesting, So you were how simultaneous was this?
Speaker 2: Well, I you know, when I say this took ten years, nine years and eleven months to do, it's true. But I also released ten films during that time. So I've got different production teams and we're working on stuff. And it's very symbiotic. When you leave to work on Leonardo da Vinci or Muhammad Ali, it helps you come back to the revolution, It helps you come back. Well, what Ben Franklin represented was an opportunity to practice on the absence of photographs and newsreels, and we could because it was only two episodes, do it without doing any recreations with except for the print shot stuff. But here, as soon as I said it, I knew we were fully invested. So rather than get people to have them reenact a specific thing I'm not crazy about, why not make a feature film. We just spent seven years collecting a critical mass of people doing reenactments in an impressionistic way, sometimes way up above from a drone, sometimes intimately where the musket the hammer hits the flint and the gunpowder explodes, or the cannon goes off, or you see women tending to a burned hand or slashing blood off a tile floor. And then what you have is yet another resource. You've got paintings, you've got drawings, you have lithographs, you have print you have maps, maps, maps, you have live cinematography devoided people of the real star of our film, the magnificent country that we have, the prize that had animated this fifth Global war over it the land, And so then it could work in and you'd find a volley sort of out of focus and muzzy of redcoats firing, and all of a sudden you're panning across a painting in which on the left side of the painting are a bunch of red coats firing, and then all of a sudden, you treat the paintings like they're live, and you treat the live like their paintings, and you've got a wonderful dynamic. We didn't have that in Ben Franklin because you could always return to a portrait of him. And it's over two. So this is six with as I said, one hundred and fifty different characters.
Speaker 1: It's six feature length movies. It makes you know, I mean it is you know it was not this is not six episodes of six.
Speaker 2: So I have a friend who's a noted a director in Hollywood who wrote me after I think I'd send him a link, and he wrote back how much he had loved it. And then after Christmas he said, I looked at it again, this time to look at characters. And so you realize there's there's a lot that goes into it, and it rewards sometimes second, third, fourth.
Speaker 1: You need one hundred percent. And it's sometimes easier to watch you a second time than read the book a second time. Yes, that sort of historical event, right like yeah, yeah, yeah you know that you that you that's I.
Speaker 2: Could spend an hour on that paragraph and really get it. But in a film, I'm controlling how long you see something, and I've got lots of things going. There's lots, and it's not we're trying to do it to be confusing. It's just that it is complicated. As my neon sign says.
Speaker 1: I want to throw another one at prohibition. So I now understand prohibition better after COVID than I did before COVID, And right, you just sort of I get it, You're like, And frankly, I look at the current anti VAXX movement and I sort of see it as sort of familiar to how we ended up with prohibition and then how within a decade we realized, well, this is crazy. Well it is.
Speaker 2: Different in some ways in that using government as an instrumentality of social change is different from suspecting government and therefore not doing what the government says might be efficacious with regard to measles or COVID.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, I get that. But I guess what I'm saying is that sort of I looked at it, not in the specific, but sort of in this respect after the pandemic in nineteen seventeen and eighteen, you know, and what we all learn is everybody loses their minds a little bit, like we all go a little because of the different and so something that seems so radical, like prohibition or you know, or you know, or calling it the temperance movement, right, which was had We've been there a long time, but it had never really gotten huge traction until we had this perceived moral decay, you know, and the whole what happened with the pandemic. And that's where you sort of like, okay, we can sort of you see, how we can go down sort of rabbit holes almost as a collective society when you go through a shared trauma like a pandemic is right in a fairly organized society, I guess I ask, I'm curious, do you think you would have Do you think you end up spending more time in the pandemic in nineteen seventeen and eighteen if you're doing prohibition today post, well.
Speaker 2: I think prohibition was already about to happen before the pandemic hit. It may have sped it along. I don't think it's that a determinant, I understand, And it's a really really good argument.
Speaker 1: This is something that I've like' and I totally accept the premise. It's my own interpretation, but I know it's sort of like, okay, I think I understand.
Speaker 2: How we talked a lot about it with scholars. I think what happens is that you have a rare sort of eclips like situation where you have a conservative movement that is starting first with temperance, which means moderation, that all of a sudden becomes absolute. The Anti Saloonty League takes over and it's all about no and it's a conservative thing, and a lot of it's based on immigration. Catholics are coming in, and so you want to take away the sacrament. Blacks have the vote, you want to take away the bottle. You know, you've got these these other ulterior, sort of darker motives. And it's a conservative movement. And then you the progressive movement, which you can say is liberal or not. It doesn't really fit quite great, but they're going along saying that government, as I said, could be an instrumentality of social change. So if you reverse engineer it. We have an amendment of the Constitution, the only one that's been repealed, the only one that limited human freedom, that was prohibition, and you had people on both sides of the aisle buying into it for different reasons. I'd say a much more determinate part. And again it's based chuck on fear. So your pandemic of the influenced Spanish influenza thing is not is the First World War. So Germans were brewers, and it became very easy to say they had been equating all the nineteenth century that it's grain, beer equals bread, it's the milk of human kindness. And suddenly they're the enemy, and so it becomes possible to begin to rev up your population in that sort of the thing that happens when people react by fear. And I would think it's more the anti German sentiment. Most of the brewers, if not all the brewers were Germans. And then this sense of social change combining with the anti immigrant, anti black, anti Catholic sort of sentiments, and the idea too but very legitimate idea that, as our first episode of three was called, we were a nation of drunkards. Alcohol was a big, huge problem. What we learned is that we couldn't address it by you know, as Twain said, again, never wrote a bad sent in his life. The prohibition of anything makes it worthwhile, you know, or as he also said, nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. You know, that's what prohibition is, reforming other people's habits.
Speaker 1: So you know, when I look at your your overall and you say that you want to hit reconstruction, I mean in some ways there are still more stories to tell. On other ways, you've hit a lot of the big stories. But there are different slices you could always go at. That's different. You have religion, you always historically note, but you've you've never I say never you did. I'm not going to say never you did the early on the Shakers. But you know, I think so I go in political science curriculum, you're never And I think it's a huge mistake by universities. If you're trying to study the politics of any society and you don't understand the following three things. It's religious history, it's sort of economic engine, and its demography demographic history, then you're not going to understand. These are, by the way, three classes that no political science community makes requirements. It's one of these I find the whole You know, political theory is fine to know, but you need to know other things. I agree, and you know, I believe and I always I. I uh, when I got to college, I didn't know who ponnscious Pilot was really, and I just didn't. I grew up. I was basically I say, basically, I'm Jewish, but I didn't really I had no knowledge of the New Testament. And you know, I think of myself as incredibly well read. My parents were well read, and yet I remember, and I got shamed about it. It happened. I was a music composition major for a brief period and I was having to write write in the style of Bach and my teacher got my professor got mad. He said this is too upbeat for ponscious Pilot. And I went like, okay, who's ponscious Pilot? And he goes, well, I'm not telling you. And that's so I literally went and read read the New Testament. I just sort of like realized, Okay, I lacking education. And then I got upset. I'm like, you know, we don't teach the history of religion because we're so afraid. I know why we don't write. I know in the public school system we can have huge fights over it, right, and so our fear of it. Sometimes we just leave it out too much because those that are devoted don't like when people deal with it as scholarship, and those that aren't devoted don't, you know, in some ways are like you're giving it too much attention. Yeah, and no thing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well i'll tell you, Chuck, I'm so glad you brought that up because I said something the other day in some conversation.
Speaker 1: I confessate that conscious pilot story, but I always want it. I get it, but I also want it as a Look, we all, no matter who you are, there's certain things you don't know that you're embarrassed to say. And it's like you got to learn to say it.
Speaker 2: This is what I agree with you one D. And there's always a spiritual dimension to the films that we've made.
Speaker 1: You always doing it.
Speaker 2: Because look, let's just take Article one. I mean, you know, Amendment one of the Constitution, the first Amendment. It does it? You ask anybody on the street, you take your camera out there and you stick the mic, and they say it's freedom of speech, right, And then maybe you get somebody who says freedom to redress your grievances, you know, protest whatever it might be. And then those are the second and third parts of a three part thing, the first of which is that the Congress will make no establishment of any religion. And so one of my favorite sections in all of the Revolution film is one on deism, which becomes this sort of aggregate not default, but kind of aggregate conscious choice of many of the mostly Protestant Founders, you know, capital ab Founders, and the whole idea. And our scene begins with Thomas Jefferson saying, if my neighbor believes in twenty gods or no god at all, it neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg. So we've all religion has heretofore, the Founders understood, always been the cultural every country's had in this state bablished faith, and that has been the source of a great deal of the problems. But in fact, as we begun.
Speaker 1: To enlightened to understand that back then, it's actually it is.
Speaker 2: We are an enlightenment and.
Speaker 1: Invent This is what it is, is.
Speaker 2: That God we always you know, you hit a home run and you thank God. You know when you hit into a game ending doubles play, you don't thank God, right, And that's and somehow God is always responsible for this and the anthropomorphosizing and the narcissism that's involved. The Founders came to some very incredibly amazing enlightened idea that they believe, almost all of them believe in a supreme being, supreme architect, divine providence. You hear those words, right, And they believe that that God has takes no interest in the daily affairs of mankind and makes obviously therefore no distinctions between religions. So it then becomes, in pursuit of happiness that our obligation to make ourselves better and then closer to whatever that being is, because if you're worse, you're cruder, and you're devolving, and you're closer to the animals. And many might say Satan, but there is such an I've spent a lot of time looking at Deism and I find it such an interesting thing, and nobody wants to do. I mean, I'm traveling around the country and people say, well, this is a Protestant a Christian nation, and you go, well, you know, they're Jews and they're Catholics, and there's you know, all the animals religions that are brought over in the slave ships, including Muslim relationship, and then Native Americans have their own stuff. This is really polyglot, and people are in different parts of the country susceptible. One of the things that they resented in the back country of the Carolina is and Georgia was that if it was the Anglican Church or the Presbyterian Church, or not Presbyterian, but some other church that was the favorite of the governor, then you had to pay for the minister's salaries. And you didn't like that if your own Methodist or a Baptist or a Presbyterian, and so you have this sense of being suspicious of somebody trying to tell you their way is the only way, and that the government should in any way favor any one flavor faith, whatever you want to talk. And if you go to Deism and understand, it's just you'r and my responsibility to move closer to God. However we see that to divine providence to the miracle of this snowfall out my window or the sunset that will come in a little bit.
Speaker 1: Do you hate hangovers, Well, say goodbye to hangovers. Out of office gives you the social buzz without the next day regret their best selling out of office gumans were designed to provide a mild, relaxing buzz, boost your mood, and enhance creativity and relaxation. With five different strengths, you can tailor the dose to fit your vibe, from a gentle one point five milligram microdose to their new fifteen milligram gummy for a more elevated experience. Their THHC beverages and gummies are a modern, mindful alternative to a glass of wine or a cocktail. And I'll tell you this, I've given up booze. I don't like the hangovers. I prefer the gummy experience. Soul is a wellness brand that believes feeling good should be fun and easy. Soul specializes in delicious HEMP derived THCHD and CBD products, all designed to boost your mood and simply help you unwine. So if you struggle to switch off at night, Sol also has a variety of products specifically designed to just simply help you get a better night's sleep, including their top selling sleepy gummies. It's a fan favorite for deep, restorative sleep, So bring on the good vibes and treat yourself to Soul today right now. Soul is offering my audience thirty percent off your entire order. So go to get sold dot Com use the promo code todcast. Don't forget that code that's getsold dot Com promo code todcast for thirty percent off. Having good life insurance is incredibly important. I know from personal experience. I was sixteen when my father passed away. We didn't have any money. He didn't leave us in the best shape. My mother single mother, now widow. Myself sixteen trying to figure out how am I going to pay for college and lo and behold. My dad had one life insurance policy that we found wasn't a lot, but it was important at the time, and it's why I was able to go to college. Little did he know how important that would be in that moment. Well, guess what. That's why I am here to tell you about Etho's life. They can provide you with peace of mind knowing your family is protected even if the worst comes to pass. Ethos is an online platform that makes getting life insurance fast and easy, all designed to protect your family's future in minutes, not months. There's no complicated process, and it's one hundred percent online. There's no medical exam require you just answer a few health questions online. You can get a quote in as little as ten minutes, and you can get same day coverage without ever leaving your home. You can get up to three million dollars in coverage, and some policies start as low as two dollars a day that would be billed monthly. As of March twenty twenty five, Business Insider named Ethos the number one no medical exam instant life insurance provider. So protect your family with life insurance from Ethos. Get your free quoted ethos dot com slash chuck. So again, that's Ethos dot com slash chuck. Application times may vary and the rates themselves may vary as well, but trust me, life insurance is something you should really think about, especially if you've got a growing family. I mean, it's honestly, it's quite surprising that the founders were this enlightened, considering how important you know that the place, in some ways, the reason many of their their found their parents came here was for freedom to worship.
Speaker 2: That's correct, and I think that what they realize, I mean that you have to say that that we are the manifestation of the enlightenment in the form of a country. The first ever I've said it on the road. I didn't say it in the film per se. I mean, I said it's consequential revolution in the history, but I said it's the most consequence it's the most important event since the birth of Christ in world history, because it's set in motion revolutions for two centuries, but in set in motion, which for two hundred and fifty years is produced, you know, one of the greatest countries.
Speaker 1: Now. Have there been.
Speaker 2: Series of mistakes, Yes, indeed, and I've spent most of my professional life not ignoring them in favor in some way, chronicling them in some ways. But you know it. But it's not all dark either. It's it's an incredibly positive story. And if you listed all the good things, I don't know any other country on Earth that could put up, you know, starting with the Declaration, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, and then you just go on, whether it's land grant colleges or National Park or Homestead Act, or you know, child labor laws or anti trust or you know the GI Bill, or Social Security, labor's right to organize, Interstate Highway, Man on the Moon, affordable care medicaid, medicare you know voting? I mean, this is like an amazing stuff and it has tangible things. William Luckdeberg the latest Story and died recently at A one hundred and two, was an advisor for almost all the films that we worked on. But he was in our Roosevelt thing. He said, you land at LaGuardia FDR New Deal, you go across the bridge FDR New Deal, you go through the Lincoln Tunnel FDR, you go down the Skyline Drive and the you know, Blue Ridge Parkway. The thing if you do the Lincoln Highway, if you do this ten thousand landing strips, you begin to understand all of the ways in which just that one presidential administration transformed the country.
Speaker 1: How long? What is you know? I've been I was looking to see what's the shortest amount of time between in this historical event or era that you would then feel comfortable making talk about it. I guess the Central Park five is the shortest. Is that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think I think that's the correct All that we've had things like the Shakers and baseball and jazz country music, the.
Speaker 1: Present comes up to the press.
Speaker 2: We unlocked the narrative and are more impressionistic for the last twenty five third years. That's what I've said. So the actual event of the Central Bark Jogger, that's a film that came out in twenty twelve twenty thirteen, was nineteen eighty nine. So that's still twenty five years, still under twenty five years, but it's enough. Things are collaps You Know. What's interesting is I've had the great privilege of interviewing Barack Obama for eight two hour interviews. I've got a couple more to go, but there's no rush because what's happened in the recent political administrations is that it's constipated the scholarship. So by this time there'd normally be twenty five books of scholarship on Barack Obama's presidency. But it hasn't happened, and so there's no urge to go and do it till you can get to that point of triangulation, that is to say, the perspective that comes from new scholarship and new things in which you're not solely dependent on.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll give you a perfect example of how my view has changed about this century and how my views get or frankly, the Cold War you know, I'm now more comfortable understanding that the Cold War was an outlier. It's an outlier in American history, it's an outlier in the history of the media, it's an outlier in all sorts of It's an outlier in our streamism and politics. But you don't fully appreciate it until you get farther away from it.
Speaker 2: That's correct.
Speaker 1: Barack Obama's election, You're going to have one interpretation based on it when you look at it through the prism of starting at say twenty fifteen. Now I look back now from a perch of twenty twenty six, and you now see that Obama and Trump are are more intertwined, and they're going to be more intertwined in American history fifty years from now than I think either gentleman wants to what a wants to admit would be. That's sort of you know, your successor whoever that person is in fifty years. You can't explain Trump without Obama, and you're not gonna be able to explain Obama without Trump, like you agree, going to be intertwined. Yet you couldn't tell the Obama story in twenty seventeen completely. No, I don't know and maybe that you can't tell this story completely. And maybe it's twenty thirty eight, maybe it's twenty three. Don't so, I guess, Mike, when do you feel comfortable me? Okay, I think I can tackle it. I can tackle an era now where new information isn't going to change.
Speaker 2: I used to say twenty five thirty. I still believe it. I do believe that because of the rate of information. I wish there was more scholarship, and I will wait for that before I really begin to try to structure and put together. The Obama thing is really just unbelievable stuff. But I'll give you an example that's close to tell you. So, we did a film that came out in twenty seventeen on the Vietnam War. It was ten episodes, eighteen hours. If I had done it ten years after the fall of Saigon in nineteen eighty five, America was in a recession. There's a Pacific rim but we're not talking about us. We're talking about Japan is a scendant, and we would see Vietnam as this ball and chain, this sort of like perpetual rain cloud over a.
Speaker 1: Star on ours a star.
Speaker 2: So if you wait, if I waited twenty years, So nineteen ninety five, we are the sole superpower. We're in the middle of the largest peacetime economic expansion. We have just fought a Gulf War without all all of the you know, assembly of people. We would say Vietnam is important, but it's you know, we've liberated, we've escaped the specific gravity. If I've waited thirty years and it's twenty two thousand and five, we're bogged down in both Iraq and Afghanistan, and people are using Vietnam analogies to talk about that. And then you know, the film comes out essentially ten years after that, forty years, forty two years after that, and you begin to realize that your job is to use the passage of time as triangulation, to use the scholarship as triangulation, to figure out how to more firmly understand an event by what you've done and sort of average out those things. Disaster not a disaster, disaster again, And so Vietnam undergoes lots of things, and of course it's none of those things. It's never history doesn't repeat itself. No event has ever happened twice, never has, never will, And so the trope of that becomes a kind of prison for us to get in. And so what you have to do is be dispassionate. You have to sort of like a dissease, tie yourself to the mass so you can hear seriously sound, but you don't want to like point arrows. Isn't this so much like today? Because as I said, you're dated instantly by that, and you've become you know, the historical profession has gone through many fashions of historiography. Right, so after World War Two, narratives bad, it's bankrupt. So we're going to replace it with a Freudian interpretation, a psychosexuality, and it's going to be Marxist economic determinism. Somewhere along the line. It's symbolism, it's semiotics, it's deconstruction, it's queer studies, it's afrocentrism, it's whatever it is. None of those give you what all of those give you, which is a multitude of modes of inquiry, multitude of perspectives, like the spokes on a wheel that make the wheel engineered to great strength, to able to bear a great load.
Speaker 1: So we draw in.
Speaker 2: Scholars on Vietnam or the Revolution that represent all sorts of different areas of scholarship, and we take in what their knowledge is, but not necessarily their total interpretation. So scholars of Native Americans, one of us dollars, Christopher Brown is a student of eighteenth and nineteenth century British economy. He's a black man to go, no, no, no, he must want to talk about slavery, and does, but only in the context of economic So you get a wonderful dynamic without having to subscribe to anybody's theory of how American history. That's why, you know, and we're constantly being bombarded with what is the correct way to see this? You know, it's seventeen seventy six, or it's sixteen nineteen, or it's no, it's from eighteen seventy it's from seventeen seventy five to seventeen eighty one or seventeen eighty three, depending on whether it's Yorktown or the British Slavy Board.
Speaker 1: So well, let me ask about the Cold War. That feels like a ken Burns project.
Speaker 2: It is we do you know what we've been talking about? The Cold War? I can't believe you brought that up. Check it's so we're on the same wavelength. So we've been talking for probably two decades about the Cold War, and about a year ago I said, I want to make it the CIA. So we're doing a big but we're just beginning to sort of unload and create the space. I like took all the books and stuff like that and put it in a corner of my house and I put a sign up over and said, Langley, you know, because that's where we're going to collect all the CIA notes and papers.
Speaker 1: We talked to something.
Speaker 2: We know how we're going to do it because you'll get the Cold War, which you also get all the intimacies of the stories, you know. Like I was just talking to Rick Atkinson the History and he described a friend that he knew, a Russian who disappeared because Alder James betrayed him. He was an asset for the United States working at the Soviet Embassy in Washington. Poof gone. So all of a sudden, the abstractions of talking about Cold wars and stuff like that goes down to the minutia of somebody in Geneva doing this to somebody else.
Speaker 1: So my obsession with Cold War, with the Cold War has come from when people lament to me I wish we were like this, you know, whatever it is. I wish our politics were this way. I wish our media were this way, and I wish and I go back and I'm like, you're a child of the Cold War era, and you don't realize you live in an outlier. And then I'll go through, you know, and say, you know, we're actually we're reverting. Today's America is no different from nineteenth century America. There's a lot of differences and as far as people's freedoms and not but in some ways our politics is not this similar. We're still fighting about who gets to be an American and who isn't. We're still fighting about you know, shares of the pie and things like that. And oh, by the way, the nineteenth century was superpartisan, our media was superpartisan. And where are we today, you know? And then it has made me look at the Cold War as an outlier as far as in political history, right, we had I love to remind people are closest. We've had six of the last seven presidential elections been decided by five points or less in the entire twentieth century, when we had five, and it's like, okay, why and yet the nineteenth century. My gosh, we had twenty I'm obsessed with the seven presidents between Jackson and Lincoln in twenty eight years. Like you want to talk about instability, there's instability.
Speaker 2: You know, the popular vote in seventy six, eighteen seventy six, Tilden wins the popular vote, and we had three elections with Grover Cleveland. He all won the popular vote three times and lost the middle one.
Speaker 1: And what I love to also remind folks is that we've had three straight one term presidents. We never had that once in the twentieth century, but we had it two different times. We went five straight one term presidents in the nineteenth century. So it is I think we haven't fully appreciated. And this is where obviously it's sort of like why does experience matter? Because you have to sort of live to see it. You have to be able to look backwards in the world I grew up, you know, I always think now that that I grew up in the wrong I always think I grew up in the right of the way the media worked, And it's like, no, in some ways, I grew up in the wrong era because it was a false premise.
Speaker 2: So you could make an argument therefore, with regard to I think your excellent theories about the Cold War is that when the Soviet Empire collapsed, the total destabilizing of American politics was assured. That is to say, destabilize from what you're calling the outlier of a kind of general consensus that had been built not since just forty five, but I would say back to the progressive era, where you had people in both parties wishing to use government as an instrumentality of progress, or at least, as tr would say, a countervailing force between labor and capital.
Speaker 1: And instead we basically were a period of just security.
Speaker 2: So what happens just surviving the thing, and so that when you take this away, you don't have an enemy anymore. And so who do you make the enemy?
Speaker 1: No? Right, well, well, I love to remind people the Berlin Wall falls in eighty nine, and within three years the isolationist wing of the Republican Party sprouts up again, and Donald Trump's first campaign is launched. It's called Pat Buchanan's campaign for President, and so and it's and I you know, and in fact, two of our closest presidential elections were followed by two of our biggest blowouts. So seventy two and sixty four were blowouts because each party went off the reservation, But sixty and seventy six were two of our closest presidential elections because both parties went back on the reservation and it was anyway. It's just one of those where I feel like you have to capture this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I'm trying. I'm trying. Give me time, I'm taking vitamins, I'm walking, I'm doing my exercises. It's I've got that look, Chuck, I have the best job in the country.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do. Well, you're you are you are this this guy for us. When do you suspect you'll do your first twenty first century you know, an event in an era which the most obvious would be nine to eleven. But when do you feel like you'll tackle your first twenty first century event era?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I think that part of the Central Park five begins in the early is resolved in the twenty first century. The update of baseball, called the Tenth Inning ends in two thousand and nine. We've done some stuff on housing. I was executive producer. My daughter Sarah, who's one of our main directors, and her husband, David McMahon have done things on public housing. I think the Obama one will be fully potentially. I mean, my first question to him is, of course, where were you born? But you know, you should see the way I.
Speaker 1: Said it was it's a log cabin in Kentucky. Right, that had been funny?
Speaker 2: You mean him Madras in Pakistan or Indonesia.
Speaker 1: Well, I've always said, you know, if he were this sort of counter this secret you know, idea of like, you know, to take over America, Right, that was what a brilliant move, right to incubate him through Hawaii and all this stuff. Why would you name him Barak Husain? Why wouldn't you call him Thomas Jefferson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. So the log cabin is to your point, Yeah, it's it's a pretty great story. I've I've dealt with Race Chuck forty plus films that have been out. I can count on the fingers of one hand.
Speaker 1: When is Race not a part of it? And I say this because it's always a part. And I always apart art.
Speaker 2: Fingers of one hand and self enough time to snap my fingers. And I've gotten a lot of criticism over the years about it from people from critics, from even historians, friends, other colleagues, and they said, what are you going to stop? And when Barack Obama was inaugurated on December twenty, two thousand and nine, they said, now are you going to stop? And I held up the Onion magazine and it said black man given worst job in nation. And I just said, watch what happens. And at least to their credit, most people have come back and apologized. Is that you're right. Race is central, it's the story. How can you say that we know exactly when we were founded, and we know what's our catechism, and it begins, we hold these schoos to be self evident, that all men are created equal, and the guy who wrote it owned other human beings. And so how are we not constantly both ennobled and also stricken by this, by that contradiction and that hypocrisy.
Speaker 1: All right, let me let you play critic on historical fiction. What's your favorite historical fiction out there?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: To me, it's Michael Sharra's Killer Angels. I read it and finished it on Christmas Day nineteen eighty four, is visiting my dad in Michigan, and I said, I now know what I'm going to do for my next subject. And he said what's that? I said, the Civil War? And he said what part? I said, all of it. He just shook his hand and walked out of the room, like, my idiot son, what's.
Speaker 1: My son doing? But yeah, he's never going to succeed in this career. I mean, you know, there's no way people are going to watch nine.
Speaker 2: In the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. May they rest in peace? The first time three didn't turn this down. They said, look, you know, people watch an hour an hour and a half, ken, Yeah, are you really that we do a proposal five one hours. It only became because the editing was going well, the nine episodes in the eleven and a half twelve hours that it is, And so even at five one hours, my biggest source of our funding over the years wasn't sure that it would work well.
Speaker 1: Have you ever wanted to dabble in either dramatize?
Speaker 2: She just wanted to be a filmmaker. My mom died when I was eleven. When I was twelve, my dad, who never cried during her sickness or death or funeral, cried at an old movie. Let me stay up and watch with him, and I thought, right then and there, I get it. I want to be a feature filmmaker. That means I'm David Lean, it means I'm Howard Hawks, I'm John Ford, I'm Alfred Hitchcock. And then I went to Hampshire College where they were doing nothing but social documentary, still photography. So I realized, truthfully that there is as much drama, if not more, in what was and what is than anything that human imagination dreams up. But I think about it all the time. But I don't have to, you know, Shelby called me up in the middle where editing had this huge problem. I called him up and I just said, I can't figure out how to do Vicksburg and Gettysburg. And he said, God's the greatest dramatist, I said, he said, I said, what goes? God's the greatest dramatist. So I hung up, and I realized, just tell it the way it happened. So everybody either puts Vicksburg after Gettysburg or Vicksburg before, but actually Vicksburg happens before and during and after a Yettysburg. And that's exactly the way. And then he called me up and he said it again. He said, maybe a couple of years later, he goes, God's the greatest dramatis. Who would have thought that Lee would surrender the grant and a few days later Lincoln would have enough free time after eighteen hour days prosecuting the war to go to the theater. God is the greatest drama.
Speaker 1: No, it just tell the story.
Speaker 2: Just tell the story. And then and people say, what's your structure? I go and then and then, and then if you look at our World War two drama, we land d day, go back to the reaction, and then go to Saipan, because that's what the front page of the paper is looking at. Everybody does, Oh, we'll do the European. Then we'll go to do the Pacific. And then you have no idea of their continuity. And so we then go back and they're having trouble breaking out of the hedgerows. And then you go back to the middle of the Battle of Sidepark.
Speaker 1: I wish you were put in charge of the World War two memorial here. I'm not going to make you criticize it. It frustrates me to all end. How it is, how it just barely scratches the surface. I get it. It's what happens when you have a committee. Whenever you put a committee in charge of something.
Speaker 2: The greatest gotaclosm in human history. We can do better.
Speaker 1: We can do so much better than that. So America two fifty, How do you celebrate? How do you tell how do you tell somebody to celebrate? How would you Well, it's.
Speaker 2: All individual and independent, right, We're all citizens. We've got that great special privilege. What I've done every year is, with maybe one or two exceptions over the last forty years, is at our late cottage, I get out on the front porch and before I let anybody eat, I read them the Declaration of Independence. And it ends with we mutually pledged to each other our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor. And you know who, George Washington was probably the richest person in America, or one of the richest at the time of the revolution, certainly before he was, and he risked everything, his life and his fortune and his sacred honor. You know, you make we make a joke now of Washington slept here, But he spent between when he was named the head of the Continental Army, not the East Coast Army, but continental. We knew where we were going. By the Continental Congress, we knew where we were going. In the early summer of seventy five, he gets back to my Mount Vernon for four nights. Right, he comes back to Mount Vernon in December of seventeen eighty three. So who would And this is an idea that's never been tested. Now we've tested it for two hundred and fifty years. And could you imagine somebody in the top one hundred risking their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor for something as important as our founding. And so that's what the celebration of two fifteen. Nobody can tell you what it isn't nobody can tell you what it is. It's always complex, that's the nature of human beings, and we should be reveling in that complexity. Let me give you one slight example. The bell cow of the conservative movement at this time is the television series Yellowstone Right. Right, This is finally they've made liberal. Hollywood made a story for us, right, And what is at the heart of that story A a patriarch who is the George Washington of the series, who also kills people who piss him off. Just as his father and grandfather have done, dumping their bodies wherever they went. He's got a daughter cut from his same cloth, as ruthless as he is. He's got two sons. One is tortured by the relationship to the land and the Native American story that has been superimposed without any questions over that, and he's married a Native American.
Speaker 1: Woman, right.
Speaker 2: The other son is Benedict Arnold, right. And then the daughter is in love with the chief foreman of this thing, who's in charge of a group of ranchers who are young and old, white and black, gay and straight, and over and surrounding them is this larger Native American issue, and over that this idea of development. If that isn't as complex a storyline as anything I've said in which it's got undertow and all of the American experience. We made a film on the American Buffalo, and I remember looking at one scene where Kevin Costner plays the lead. John Dutton is explaining to somebody just about it, and in three seconds I just turned to my daughter and I said, that was our four hours on the Buffalo, you know, And he did it in like three sentences.
Speaker 1: Have you ever spent. Do you know Taylor Sheridan.
Speaker 2: I know Kevin and he's one of the great guys. So anyway, yeah, it's it. Anybody trying to tell you how it was, or to simplify it or to take down a plaque is scared and only authoritarians. And by the way, we follow in our film, and maybe this is a way to ram this out. We follow, among the one hundred and fifty different characters, we follow a German Hessian soldier named Johann Evld. He's openly contemptuous of these rebels, and he arrives in episode three at Staten Island when we send the first big batch there, but he's there in three, four or five and six, but he's part of the surrounding army at Yorktown. And he says, after Yorktown, who would have thought one hundred years ago that out of this multitude of rabble could rise of people who could defy kings. These German soldiers who didn't get killed, who escaped and blended into the German communities, those who stayed and then got shipped back home. A lot of them came back with their families because they had seen the promised land who would have thought one hundred years ago, out of this multitude of rabble could rise of people who could defy kings johanney Vov.
Speaker 1: You didn't have to make up the script. Nope, it was right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, God's the greatest dramedis right there.
Speaker 1: You go.
Speaker 2: Thank you, sev.
Speaker 1: Ken. It's always a pleasure to talk with you. Like I said, you've got you've got the job that many of us political journalists wish we could. We wish we could be you for a day.
Speaker 2: Come on over, it's all fine where you know. We're up in rural New Nay.
Speaker 1: I'm going to stay in my lane of campaign history, so I'm messing around in that world. I think, you know, I think people you know, don't don't try to do something you're not capable of it.
Speaker 2: No, I agree. That's the thing. I'm so lucky because, as I said, at twelve, I knew that, eighteen I knew what kind, and at twenty two it was history.
Speaker 1: So well it is, you know, and you never half asset. Sorry for the colorful language.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, this is there's a.
Speaker 1: Lot there's a lot of people in your space. You could start, you know, Ken Burns presents somebody else's version of history, and you could license your name and make a whole bunch of money and not have to work anymore. Yeah, but I don't I get the sense that you wouldn't be proud of that.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, And and the work's the thing, you know, why would you take a shortcut?
Speaker 1: If?
Speaker 2: If? I mean, every film is a million no exaggeration, a million problems. But we don't see the problems as pejorative. We see them as inevitable friction that every marathon runner knows. I don't want to pick up my foot this next time I picked up my foot. I don't want to pick up the night I pick up my foot. And you just you figure this out? How do you tell this story? How do you do Vicksburg? And Getty's all right?
Speaker 1: There you go. Look, I think the more remarkable thing is not how many you start, it's how many you finish.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: And we've been so flushing is the hard part.
Speaker 2: We have finished. We have not abandoned a project once we started shooting. Been very lucky, lucky.
Speaker 1: So lucky. Well we're the lucky ones. Ken always a pleasure, Thank you, check, see you next time. Happy Birthday America.
Speaker 2: Thanks Yeah, happy birthday. Let's let's have a real celebration.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, thank you.