Speaker 1: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn the stuff they don't want you to know. A production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hello, welcome back to the show. My name is Matt, my.
Speaker 3: Name is Noah.
Speaker 4: They call me Ben. We're joined, as always with our super producer Dylan the Tennessee pal Faked. Most importantly, you argue you are here. That makes this the stuff they don't want you to know. A quick disclaimer at the top, folks, Tonight's episode contains graphic descriptions of true crimes, so listener discretion is advised. In the woods outside of Caramel, New York, a hunter discovers the bones of a twelve year old girl, launching an investigator into a mystery that could be accurately described as a real life horror film. Fortunately, folks, we are not diving into this alone. We are joined with none other than the award winning investigative journalist, longtime contributing editor at Rolling Stone, the creator of Bone Valley season five, The Devil's Quarry. We proudly present the legendary Paul solditarof.
Speaker 5: Wow Wow, I Feel like Connor McGregor.
Speaker 3: Uh, the dire straits of true crime reporting that that was a nod to a conversation we had off.
Speaker 2: Yes, watch your watch your legs there, Paul, If you're jumping in as Connor, well.
Speaker 3: Oh no, yeah, didn't he have a bit of a bad showing? Uh this last time around? I heard it was a little underwhelming.
Speaker 4: Not every day could be the birthday, I guess. Uh, Paul, let's uh speaking to jumping in. Let's dive in with this at the beginning. Could you set the scene by introducing our audience to a little bit more about your past work and what led you toward investigative journalism, Like, was there a single specific turning point you can recall in your life or did you sort of always know this is your vocation?
Speaker 5: I I bought my nose against investigative journalism after hitting my forehead on fine Britt Walls. I'm the son of one of the great literary literary editors of the second half of the twentieth century, Ted Sulataro, who edited Roth Mal discovered an entire generation extraordinary novelists and poets. And I just assumed that as the firstborn I would roll right down the assembly line and went the writers Workshop at Iowa to become a novelist. They happily disabused me of that idea very quickly. They said, yeah, you can write a sentence, okay, but Jesus Christ, is this what you're using for material? That shot me like a water canon into the playwriting program, a graduate playwriting program at the ILD School of Drama. They wasted even fewer seconds informing me that again I had the wrong address and politely referred me to the NU School of Social Work, where I spent two and a half really unprofitable years training to be a clinical psychologist. The only thing I got out of that forty five k student debt was my subject. So I got placed as a counselor in training at a community mental health center in the Seth Bronx and I arrived on the scene about an hour and a half after this horrific calamity called the happy Lands Disco fire, in which a couple of three four hundred people were packed into a basement social club and someone threw a bullets of cocktailer. Oh my gosh, an orphaned about three hundred children in East Treemont. In the Bronx and lo and behold. I suddenly was the designated healer for fifteen or twenty children who were a speechless with grief, with horror, dislocation. And at that point I realized two things. I still was the person in the room who needed the most help, but I needed to give a voice to these voice, those kids. And when the Village Voice inexplicably came calling in nineteen eighty eight they needed an associate editor, I took the job so that I could do something that I'd been yearing to do since I was a nine year old getting mugged on the subways of New York, and that was bully the bullies. So journalism, especially in long form investigative journalism, has given me a chance to get into the ring with some of the more despicable characters and some of the more despicable public policy as asters of the second twentieth century.
Speaker 3: I love the idea of journalism as bullying the bullies. I've never thought about that before, but we should need that now, maybe more than ever. And there are some folks that are stepping up and some folks that are shrinking back, and you kind of really see who's really got the goods in the face of you know, real real bullies.
Speaker 5: Yeah, bullying that looks exactly like factious. Yeah. And just to put a pin on this, the first story I ever wrote was a product of just looking out over the bridge in my notes. So every day I would take my launch. The Village Voice used to be in Greenwich Village. The Village Voice used to be the Premiere America and Alt Newsweek, and it was an extraordinary place for young talent too to develop, to grow a clip file, and then to get the hell out and go right for an outlet that actually got read and that actually paid the writer. Every day I would take my lunch on the West Side Docks. Now this is nineteen eighty eight, the very pinnacle of the crack pandemic in New York City. New York went from about three hundred murders here to twenty seven one hundred in the span of three four years. And crack was the original diseased back for Woule did destroyed New York in a way I have never seen a city gutted. We went from eleven thousand homeless population to one hundred and fifty thousand primarily single income momb and children demographic and what I saw on the west side of the docks, which were in terrible disrepair and truly a dangerous place, were ten twelve fourteen year old boys selling their bodies for crack rocks to Wall streeterers who were either on their lunch break or headed home through the holland on anyone driving down the West Side Highway, either to Brooklyn or to get to New Jersey saw what I saw on a dale. They saw these shirtless children strolling in November and December in a place with no shelter from the wind, in an incredibly brutal winter, and no one stopped. And I began to cultivate those kids. I take them to breakfast, I take them to lunch, and they told me the story that became this enormous bombshell. Again, no intention of destroying. The one institution that pretended to care about these kids, a fledgling nonprofit called Covenant Ants, in which I thought, like most downtown New York, was that those blue vans were out there saving these children. Well they were. However, the founder and director of Covenant House, father Bruce Ridder, was taking some of these children into the front door and selling them out the back door. Work for doms, and that story not only level Covenant House and nominated for Appulitzer, it also really surfaced for me exactly what my remit as a journalist was, which was to get names and faiths as to the nameless can face that's and to make sure that I told their stories with the kind of power, granularity and gut punching specificity that you couldn't look away.
Speaker 2: Wow, Paul Okay, First of all, for folks who don't know about the story and haven't read your writing, because I'm assuming there's some of us out there, including myself, who have not yet, where can we go to find that pieces on that work?
Speaker 5: So that story is called Dead Boys, it isn't easy to find. If I were more ambitious entrepreneur, I'd have my website and i'd have someone curating it. I got. But there are a couple of stories I wrote at the Village Voice that are at this point in the Cannon. That's one of them. Another called The Power and the Gory about the world's most homicidal bodybuilder, a guy who is utterly legendary, but he actually lived, I mean wound up putting a bullet in his brain. That story is included in the Best American Writing of the twentieth century. So if you just google my name, all my stuff pops on Rolling Stone. I've been at Rolling Stone now for thirty three years and have used that ordinary platform to break the NFL concussion scandal all to read Army Medical Field hospital scandal. I've been able to walk into some men off death row. I wrote a story that helped exonerate forty two thousand drug offend drug defendants in the state of Massachusetts. Aaron Bernandez story is mine. I've been given the freedom and the green light to go where my outrage takes me. And somebody's telling you guys off stage in a country that is at this point one outrage stacked upon another. I am never bored and never wanting for work.
Speaker 4: That is, unfortunately in incredibly true. Paul, and as we as we hear this culmination of your work that has taken you to dangerous places mentally and physically, one of the next questions we have to ask is that, given the tragically high amount of unsolved cases of murder and disappearances in the United States in particular and in the world abroad, what drew you to the case of Josette right.
Speaker 5: Wonderful question. So I was rolling off a series of cases that allowed me to dig deeply into the prison industrial complex. I got the wrapper meet Mill out of Prism in twenty eighteen, not because I fell in love with Meek Mill. Trust me to know Meek is to immediately fall out of love with me. For me was the most visible example victim of what again all of us know about and nobody talks about, the post incarceral system in America. Probations parole, this endless long tail that law enforcement uses to further impoverish and scapegoat people who have served their turn, who have rehabilitated themselves, but walk out of prison without their civil rights having forfeited them by virtue of being a felon, so they can apply for food stamps, can't apply for Section eight housing, can't apply for government back college loans. And Nick was fameless being portraed by a corrupt judge in Philadelphia and had been violated on and off parole for eleven years to the almost annihilation of his career for having allegedly sold to crack Rocks to an undercover at the age of eighteen and digging into his story, I saw that the entire.
Speaker 6: So called elite West Philly narcotics team was just an armed robbery crew of guns badges, and wrote the story that outed that terrific bunch of sociopaths in Bloop.
Speaker 5: Just another gang, right, just another day. I couldn't have done those stories without the guidance and the the Sage Council of the Innison Projects. So along the way I got to be close professional acquaintances with Peter Neufeld, Barry Shack, Nina Morrison, the guiding lights at the Innocence Project. And it was Nina who told me, Well, she called me one day and she said, you've written add infinitum about big city police corruption. You have any interest in digging into what small town policing looks like and how much worse it is than Chicago, Cleveland, La Chicago pet which invented police violence, Los Angeles Police Department, which perfected it. You know, I thought I'd seen the worst that law enforcement was capable of in the ramparts and crash scandals in La Wrong. Just outside of New York City, fifty miles from the Bronx. North of the Bronx stands the town of Carmel, not to be confused with the Carmel of Clint Eastwood. This is a working class, working core white flight exer of the Bronx that was essentially a ghost county until urban renewal sent a bunch of angry white hard hats and blue collars fleeing for their lives from the Bronx Queens Long Island to Midge State, New York, where you could buy a Sears Roebuck kit home for thirty five thousand dollars, PLoP it on the banks of Lake Carmel or Lake Glenida, and live like a pauper kit. Of course, unintended consequences. All those cops and firemen and sanitation workers who did that installed eight septic systems and immediately sent their gray water waste into these gorgeous man made lakes that were oh, by the way, the reservoir as system for you soon and oops. I have never in my life encountered this profession anywhere except Putnam County. They bring in a guy not every year, more often than they want to admit, to mow the lakes mo because when you introduce all that runoff nitrogen from septic systems into fresh water which you get are massive spores of E. Coli. E Coli in turn create these huge blooms of algae. If you want to see Christmas in July, go swimming in Lake Carmel. You will see weeds rising thirty feet out of the lake beds floor. That's why I could an amphibious lawn.
Speaker 2: That's it. I've never even heard of an amphibious lawnmower. Law no, neither.
Speaker 5: You know. And I'm sure the guy who who owns and runs the operates amphibious lawnmower has been deported, so we know what jeuez. Well, all right, So in twenty twenty, I get I get this call from Nina Morrison, who's now a federal judge and a great one, telling me that there are these two young men who falsely targeted, arrested, convicted, and sent to prison for life for the murder of twelve year old chist Ray. She said, Paul, if you think you've seen a parent police corruption, wait until you read these trial transcripts. Well, story short, I got up there and I spent months with this genius. One of those two kids, Anthony de Pippo, who was a ninth grade dropout, three times, and who never never made it to the tenth grade. This huge, hulking halt Hogan worshiped her, who for giggles broke fluorescent lights and folding chairs over his buddies heads in these impromptu backyard wrestling tournaments. David Stage, that guy who had caught the hostile attention of the Putnam Sheriff's office, had been grotesquely framed for the rape and murder of this beautiful twelve year old child who had gone missing in October nineteen, And it took the cops a year and a half to not only coerce Menace and brownbeat a false confession from Anthony's best friend, a confession that implicated the two of them, but also to coerce Menace and browbeat their stoner friends into falsely testifying against them ninety seven, These two young men who had the most innocuous criminal records possession of throwing a trash can at a commuter train.
Speaker 4: Doesn't Anthony say, by the way, when you speak to him in Devil's Quarry, you talk a little bit about drug charges, and he says, yeah, you could call me a drug dealer, but not a successful one.
Speaker 5: Exactly right, Anthony may be the only drug dealer in the history of the continental United States to lose money selling drugs, which will happen when you're consuming more of your product than yourself. These two guys were part of this kind of rag tag contingent of Wlatchkey kids. Kids in the story, I called them sideways kids. These are the kids at the back of the classroom whose feet are constantly drumming under the table, who was staring off in the space. These are kids who, if they'd grown up ten miles south in Westchester, would have been flagged for add or some you know or dyslexia and been diagnosed and treated and going on to become dentists and bond traders. But they grew up in a community in which children, specially female children, were prey. And my initial working title for the story that became The Devil you Know was rape value. It was hard meeting a girl now in her thirties forties who grew up in the town and not been sexually violated by an authority figure Jesus Christ, stepdad, principal teacher, the cops themselves. Over and over I heard from these girls that in a town with nowhere to go and nothing to do. They go off to the woods with a forty and a joint, and while away a Friday night, the cops always knew where they were. They roll up, the boys would get cuffed, the girls would get tossed into the back of the cruiser and have to blow the cop to get out of the cruise. And this community of predatory cops, literally leg breaking cops who's only job, as far as I could tell, and I investigated them thoroughly, was illegally coercing campaign money for the reelection of this crooked sheriff who'd been in power for twenty odd years. Those cops discovered the remains of Joseph Right in a shallow grave thirteen months after she went missing. By the way, those two cops never bothered to investigate her disappearance in October of ninety four, outside of talking to her teachers, her family, throwing up a couple of missing fliers. Never did any legwork. When she turns up day in ninety five with her hands bound behind her, her panties stuffed down, her throat, her skeletal throat, and her broad tied around a mandible of her skull, those cops immediately thought, oh shit, maybe we should have spent an hour here and there looking into her, and immediately began to round up the kids that they designated the usual suspects. Not only did they sell this family, not only they sell this community an enormous toxic pack of law, a pack of lies that that family still clings to that family even after the exoneration of these two young men. I will go into that in a second, because it's a miracle that should never have happened. But Anthony to Pippo, that ninth grade dropout, did something so extraordinary that I just want to write his Nobel speech. It is, in all my years of writing about the wrongly convicted, of helping to exonerate the wrongly convicted, I have never seen anything more extraordinary heroic than what Anthony to Pippo did in the prison library at Africa. It is I'll shorthand it by saying this Anthony was finally exonerated by the best lawyer in America, Mark Agnifilo. Mark Agnifilo is this extraordinary showman who, as he says in the podcast, markets himself exclusively to people who were some of those people. Harbie Weinstein, p Diddy. He got Diddy off of thirty six or forty glaringly flagrant sex drafting offenses. He's now representing Luigi Manngioni in the trial of the Century that starts this fall. That's who Mark Agnifilo is, and what Mark Agnifilo told me was when he first met Anthony in the spring of twenty sixteen, three months before that trial, his jaw dropped open to listen, to sit across from this enormous man with an intimidating goateee Anthony six five and a half six six three, twenty benches an entire block, and Anthony, as Mark agniffelow realized, was the best lawyer in the room. And Mark Agnifflo said to himself and then said to me, I realized I was going to win this trial after my first five minutes with Anthony, because I had a secret weapon that the prosecution didn't. I had the actual best lawyer in America teach me how to try this case. And when he tried that case in the fall of twenty sixteen, it wasn't a contest. It was a slaughter.
Speaker 2: But we'll get to one thing I want to focus on really quickly. Here is why those particular law enforcement officers looked at these guys and those why were those guys the go to potential bad guys in town that may have done this kind of thing, And specifically about a gentleman named Pat Costolato. I think, is how you say his name?
Speaker 5: Yes? Castaldo? Yeah? Oh? Was he?
Speaker 2: And why is he like targeting these guys?
Speaker 5: So Pat Costaldo, as near as I could tell, was the chief's leg breaker for this crooked sheriff, a goon who was notorious for using his hands and his feet to enfluce the wall in Putnam County. Big Bruiser looked like something out of a trashy drug store detective novel from the forties, slicked his hair back in a high type pompadour, wore a mowhair top coat in the summer. Clearly thought he was Popeye Doyle, although it was here was like he can't even drive. Pa Costaldo seems to have about three working neurons, and when he discovered when his department stumbled upon the bones of Joseph, they were under enormous pressure. Already a second beautiful child girl had gone missing in Carmel six months prior, and so now you had in a town of no violent crime, in a town where the law enforcement largely consists of these cops responding to bars and domestic spans, you have these cops who have never, in their wives worked a murder, and as near as I could tell, were never trained to be cops in the first place.
Speaker 4: And they're pretty clear about their inexperience. When you speak with some of these folks or dive into them in Devil's Quarry, we've got to ask poll and pardon me if this is a bit of a softball, but I think our audience needs to hear it. How did this lack of experience, plus they're already loose and fast nature as law enforcement operatives, how did this inform what they saw as their strategy? Because it sounds when I'm hearing this through right and I'm reading your previous work, every point of their investigation seems to focus less and less on finding the actual murderer and more and more on closing out the case.
Speaker 5: Exactly right, So let's step the stage for your listeners. Josett Rights discovered November twenty ninety five in that shallow grave, what those cops found was evidence of a serial killer. At large, so she had been bound and gagged in ritualistic and fetishistic style, meaning this was not the doer's first rodeo. The staging and the concealment of the corpse was planful, was meticulous, and were it not for the fact that she was buried in a forest, forest with deer, with coyotes, with other large rodents, that grave would have held her remains for time immemorial. But one of those browsing animals had dug and to part part of her skull and made off with it, and that skull was discovered underfoot by two hunters on the first day of hunting season, So it wasn't this though the cops were looking for her. Course, cops had no interest in finding Joseph. They had written her off as a runaway a year aware. Back to why they chose these guns. So, as I say, there was enormous community pressure in a town, in a county with no serious violence. And it's one of the virtues of living in mystics, particularly the community that is inhabited by New York cops by New York unfortunately not enforced by New York cops. So who becomes a cop in Putnam County. Who becomes a cop in the town of Cornwall, It's two different streams of applicants. It's locals who had the childhoods, got picked on, bullied, and aspired to become cops to avenge themselves on the snop those kids that rough them up at fourteen. The other tributary to that talent pool is the kickouts from mid city police forces, cops so bad that even mid city forces could no longer afford to keep paying for settlements and judgments against those cops for abusing their fellow citizens. On top of that, as we discovered in Anthony's civil rights trial against those cops after he won his conviction and forced those cops to tell the truth in deposition, was that where big city comps are sent to an academy for six months, where that they're constantly trained and retrained, particularly if they want to make rack. If you want to become a sergeant, you've got to go for extra training. You want to become a detective, There's a lot of work to do to rise the ranks in the NYPD. There is no such pecking order. It's just next man up in these small towns. Love story short These guys not only had no homicide experience, they had no criminal detection. If they didn't know what the Fifth Amendment was, they didn't know what Brady Law was, they didn't know what impeachment stuff they teach in the first week at the police academy. These guys have never heard of and admitted under us. So when you've got a howling community and you live amongst those folks and they want someone to rad did Friday? You go and arrest someone Friday. And here were these two kids who had been selling PCP, taking PCP, who've been bringing ecstasy in from New York City, who were standing outside the high school selling weed. Who better to go to rest? And who better to to pick out a hat? Knowing these kids don't have a lawyer, these kids dropped out of high school. We can work these kids to our end. And that's what those comps did.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, I can't even begin to a picture where this conversation is going to continue to go. But we are going to go there. But first let's take a quick break here where from our sponsor. Then we be back with more from Paul. And we're back. Let's jump right back in with Paul.
Speaker 2: I guess the big question for me is when when that type of scenario, let's say, is happening, how on earth as that police officer, that law enforcement officer who is choosing to potentially do this to someone, how do you how can you feel confident that it's going to work with it? Because they have to face a judge at some point, they have to potentially a jury, all these other things like, there's process to go through. How do you get the story to come out in the favor of the thing you want it to be?
Speaker 5: With two fists. We have transcripts, we have recanting witnesses, we have the story stories of all these kids that they brutalized, of all these kids they stalked and terrorized. A key witness, although he didn't testify a trial for complicated reasons, but the one who first spun this fault story was a severe special needs kid who was kind of on the outside of the circle of these druggy kids I named dom Neglia, a kid who'd been raised in special ed and who was incredibly easy to manipulate and terrorize. He's the one that the cops went hardest at, not as the doer, but as the kid most likely to flip on his friends, and that is in fact what happened. But let me just step take two steps to the right here, because the day that Joseph was discovered, the day that those hallmark signs of a practice serial predator being at large and being responsible for the murder of this child, the cops had that guy in their sights. That man, the town pedophile, the town terrorist of girls and women, was extremely well known so the Putnam Sheriff's detectives, extremely well known to the Carmel pad, extremely well known to the Ken PD. This was a guy who had run sexual ramppage through Putnham County and who, by the time Josette disappears, had been charged with rake three times by three different women, children children one is one eleven and one age twelve, and the cops who had arrested Gombert multiple times for burglary. He was a lifelong klectomaniac. This is Howard Gumbert. Howard Gumbert, who this pathological drifter whose m O by the way, he was handsome, he was charismatic, drove a motorcycle looked like something out of Happy Days. This guy had a sixth sense for vulnerable single bonds. He had this extraordinarily extraordinary radar for women who were lonely, who were susceptible to long form abuse and hism was to move in with them within days or weeks of them and then go to work not only sexually violating those women, but their children. And again, everyone in law enforcement in Putnam County, so seventy small towns, each with its own police force, and then this free range Sheriff's office knew and had dealings with Howard Gomber. And yet of the dozens of people they dragged in for questioning, they never even doorstepped Howard Gombret, by which I mean they never even swung by his flop house apartment and knocked on his door to ask him, where were you on the night of October third, nineteen ninety October fourth, nineteen ninety four. Never. It is unfathomable. And I spent nine months writing that story, and then a year making Season one of The Devil's Quarry, answering the question of why those cops gave Howard Gombert a hunting license to go on praying on the children of Putnam County. I have an answer, but I can't tell I understood, yeah, and.
Speaker 2: We I mean, is it because of legal implications or why can't you say.
Speaker 5: There is a great deal happening behind the scenes right now? So let's step back, okay. And I'm sorry because we keep getting we keep wanting to get to the foreground of the story, and I keep taking you back when Yeah, when I wrote the story in twenty twenty one, I had the first and last nervous breakdown in my career. For nine months, I had been warehousing the stories of these six women who had been children. These were the survivors of Howard Gomber. These were the women who threw, who threw pluck or luck, hadn't been killed by him, who had been raped and beaten and bound and gagged when they were children, not all of them, but a number of them as children. And there was something about that kind of suffering that did to me what all my years in the ghettos of North Philly, South l A, South Side Chicago didn't. They took up residence in my soul, and I couldn't break free. And I swore to myself when I got better, I'm never going near this story again. It is poison. However, a year ago, little more than an year ago, I got a call from two of those victims and both of them were sobbing. Both of them said, oh my god, he's getting out. The state of Connecticut is releasing this monster at the end of twenty twenty six. Where will I live? He's been writing me from prison. He must have a private detective. He has tracked me down. He is sending me.
Speaker 7: Horrifying letters because stalking is part of his mo right, talking, command control. All of the hallmarks of a lethal socioparts are front and centered with this man. Howard Gombert finally either was polatantly aster lee put County by those cops or figured that jig was up. He moved fourteen miles east to the border of Connecticut, just over the state line, and instantly began looking for his next cast of victims. And he found them very quickly, but he was fourteen miles away. Those cops never so much as paid a courtesy call on here. Long story short, he committed an unspeakable crime against the seven year old girl in New Milford, Connecticut in nineteen ninety nine. She told someone, and because this was Connecticut, the cops actually listened to a victim and arrested him immediately, not just arrested him, made it criminal case, sent him into prison for thirty years, But in Connecticut, thirty years actually turns out to be twenty five. And so this December, unless something happens, Howard John Gombert Junior will walk out of Cheshire Correctional not only a freeman, but a man with no tail on him, no parole, no probation, no custodial supervision. That man who has spent most of his life at liberty camping in woods. This is a survivalist.
Speaker 5: This is a man who grew up in a tent a half mile behind his father's house in the woods, surviving on what he caught or stole to eat in the dead of a Northeast winter. This guy is walking out of prison freeman.
Speaker 3: Unless and that's a man that could disappear himself quite easily.
Speaker 5: Yes, he will go vanish mode the second he sets foot outside those prison gates, and he knows every inch of those words in Putnam County and the border of Connecticut.
Speaker 4: We're going to pause here for word from our sponsors, and we'll return with more on the Devil's Quarry, and we're back. I do want to ask one question here before we lose it. Paul, I was going to ask this earlier because a lot of our audience may not be fully aware of this. As we as we shift back right to Anthony's case and Andrew's case, they are primarily going to trial based on these coerced witness statements as you describe in detailing your investigation, and this trial doesn't have any physical evidence, as you as you teach us here. But I have to ask, what is the legality of dropping charges against someone in exchange for a signed statement relating to other crimes?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 4: Is that legal?
Speaker 5: It's legal? Ish, Okay, And let's be clear the one witness who sent Anthony and Andy to prison because those friends of theirs who got to understand were either too high too narctized to actually tell a convincing version of the cops side of this right, and the jury Leslie laughed at him. Anthony and Andy were convicted with that a shred of physical evidence, without any provable connection to the murdered girl, whom they had met once maybe twice in passing. By the way, if you're looking into a conviction with zero physical evidence, you can be very confident that's a bogus conviction. It's really hard to murder somebody and dispose of all the forensics. It is vanishingly difficult to do. It only happens on dexter, right, it's in real life. Murder is ugly, it's squalid, and it's impossible to completely eradicate. Right. So on the strength of this horrific persure, a young woman with severe behavioral, psychological, and chemical issues, Denise Rose, on the strength of her testimony e in the first time she told it was transparently false. On the strength of her testimony and her testimony alone, two young men were sent to max prison with the worst what they call jacket you can wear behind bars, convicted pedophile, rapist, murderer of a child. The fact that Anthony and Andy lived long enough at Auburn at Dana Mora at Attica, the worst prisons in America. The fact that they survive long enough to fight for their freedom is a miracle. Why did Denise Rose testify against her former boyfriend Anthony Because she was in desperate trouble with those cops. She had a huge rage problem. She had battle rounded the car of a girl. She barely knew she was facing a felmine account for that, she was facing duise. She was about to go away for a serious time. And for someone who was multiply addicted, the idea of being in prison for seven years with at your dope and your works was unimaginable to this child. And that's what she was when she was bullied into testifying against them. But again, she wasn't the only one. These other kids who had been beaten into falsely testifying also had minor drug charges pending against them. And you know, you're talking about kids, and I see this over and over in wrongful convictions. The folks who have been coerced into lying are themselves as vulnerable as the kids who get who got framed. Just by luck of the draw. They're not the ones under the gun, but they could easily be if they don't tell those cops what they want to hear. Sir, back to your question, which.
Speaker 4: Was, oh, it's the is it is it legal for that quid pro quo to exist?
Speaker 5: Right? Well, this is something that has been haranged over in drug trial and murder trial after drug trial and murder trus It's really hard to make these cases without a cooperating witness. Very often that cooperating with witness is tainted by his or her own criminal involvement. And so in case after case after case, you see these kinds of deals being struck. You know, a good defense lawyer will make of that. But are there are there examples I know of where the cops not only cause charges to be set aside, but white and blackmail judges when and co werce prosecutors. Absolutely, in this case, I can't speak to that. But what I can tell you is the devil in the Devil unit, the devil in the Devil's quarry isn't just Howard Gomberg. It isn't just the demon in the woods. It is also the crooked cops of the Putnam County Chapf's Department who are as dangerous to public safety as this man who had a nearly twenty year run of sexual violence against children. And again, these kinds of things are really hard to bring off in a big city. For that is, in big cities we have oversights. You know, we have a civilian review board, we have good, strong legal aiden lawyers in Putnam County. Again, there's nobody watching the watchers. There's nobody investigating the crooked sheriff, which was how he was able to hold office for decades. He was followed in by a no less morally objectionable sheriff. It's just part and parcel of what happens in seventy four percent of America, seventy four percent of America, as as it's not only senior lawmen, but judge, jury and hangman. A sheriff. Seventy four percent of America is lorded over by one man, a sheriff who has extra judicial power and answers to no one except the voters. That was the case in staunchly Republican Putnam Catholic, where they kept electing the same crooks over and over record.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we said this person, Howard Combert, which we are fairly certain or definitely certain, is responsible for many horrifying, unspeakable things that you've been writing about. He gets out at the end of this year, potentially. I'm looking for an image of him online and I can only find the one that's that's featured in Rolling Stone in your article from June ninth, twenty twenty six, which is it's him as a young man. So now he's getting out of prison, and no one is going to wreckogies this human being.
Speaker 4: And no parole is insane.
Speaker 5: It's madness. So I spoke earlier about dealings behind the scene. We are in aggressive and high level talks with the top law enforcement community of New York State, the state of Connecticut, and it's a little soon to comment on those discussions, but we are doing everything our power to see to it that the communities of Putnam County New Fairfield County are protected from this man for the fourth Seal future.
Speaker 2: One last question, do you we're talking about how it's harder to pull off this kind of thing in a bigger city, with the style of corruption that we're seeing on display or within the Devil's Quarry, Do listen to it. If you have a chance. You find it everywhere. All three of us have looked pretty hard at the Atlanta Missing and Murdered Children case. And I'm thinking now about your writing and work on dead boys fas sects and slow suicide on the West Side Docks, and I'm wondering if you see any connection in big cities with that same kind of thing, where there are wealthy, powerful human beings that are taking advantage of especially children, for their own proclivities. Do you see connections there?
Speaker 5: Absolutely, and it happens over and over again. So there there's this long history of the wealthy and the powerful using these challenge communities as their ATMs and their snack bars, by which you're as as they're kind of canned hunting preserves. And you know, it isn't just big cities. I saw exactly this happened at close range in Putnam County. Again speaking to all of these girls who've grown up there and who had as a right of passage at thirteen fourteen fifteen been violated by a sheriff's deputy, by a guidance counselor by you know, by a living boyfriend. There's there's very little to keep the powerful and the predatory away from the most vulnerable population. It's country, namely chure, and wherever I go there it is. I just wrote a story that won the National of the Los Angeles Press Club Award about this extraordinary gang um unit in the LAPD Revolutionary best bunch of cops I've ever met, but even they were helpless against an American nightmare called Figaroa Avenue. Figaroa in Los Angeles is a two and a half mile run on strip of thirteen and fourteen year old girls selling their bodies for twenty dollars. It happens three sixty five, It happens rain, sleet, snow, It is all day, every day you drive down FIGAROA part of its control by the uber criminals, part of it's controlled by the grape street crips, part of it by the bloods, and you realize, here are the limits of law enforcement. They literally can't do anything about these ten twelve thousand children either kickouts from the foster character system, runaways from abusive homes, selling their bodies in broad daylight, and twelve thousand kids mostly black and brown, mostly from ten miles away. You know, they grew up in Nickerson Garden projects, they grew up, you know, in Ramona Heights, and you know, in some cases these fourteen girl girls are are filling the frigids of their destitute families are And again, it's really hard to arrest your way out of a slow motion nightmare like.
Speaker 4: That, especially with no system support systems in place.
Speaker 5: Right exactly right, the very system that was supposed to protect those children is effectively leading them to slaughter or foster care system of Southern California. And you know, what you realize is that we will always out of these horrific scenarios in which the powerful exercise their urges and demons at the expense of the poor and the vulnerable. What you hope for we as Americans like to believe is true is that there is this dedicated community of people whose tasks and whose mission in life it is to protect those people. And I've written about great cops, heroic cops. Cops need statues of them there in every city. But it's really hard to be a great cop and be the finger in the dyke of a society in which there is this much disparity of wealth and power and this large subpopulation of needy and desperate folk. And what I found just to get us back to Putam County. So where do we stand now? There are two cases, both of those missing girls, Josette Right, who's bones were discovered, Robin Murphy's she disappeared six months after Josette. Her body was never found, her family has never been to a trial, Her family had has never been notified of a suspect. In both cases, the law enforcement of Putnam County horribly failed not only those girls but the entire community, and we made Devil's Quarry to shame them, to expose them esceptually to blackmailment to doing their jobs. Here's what happened. Two weeks before our series dropped season one, Devil's Quarry dropped, the Putnam Shriff's Office announced it was reopening these two long dead cold cases and in fact appointing a county wide task force to delve into them from the very beginning. That's encouraging, But again, I know way too much about the law enforcement community in Putham County, way too much about how they're trained or not, about either supervised or not, and I had very very little confidence in that task for us to actually solve the star at Quirks.
Speaker 4: But Paul, we must thank you not blowing spoke here. We must thank you for fighting the good fight. Your passion is contagious and you have put yourself honestly in harm's way on various levels for pursuing justice.
Speaker 5: Here.
Speaker 4: What do we hope the audience can take away from the Devil's Quarry? But if we're speaking directly to people as they're experiencing this investigation, what should change for them? At the end of the show.
Speaker 5: One of the things that I realized afresh in reporting the story is that justice isn't a ballistic Redston state deal. It's an all of us agreement. All of us bear responsibility for Joset right for Robin Murphy. By that. We all have cell phones, we all have social media. We have been urging our listeners and by the way, we have an enormous hit on our hands with this series. If you're new to this show, give it five minutes. You will lose the next eight hours of your life. It is impossible to stop listening once you start. We are urging, begging our listeners to vote with their voices, to call, to write the Attorney General's Office of New York State. Letitia James, the Attorney General of New York State, has the power to indefinitely remand Howard Gombert to civil commitment under the Sexual Violent Predator's Law. Please, if you are someone who is passionate about protecting girls, about protecting an entire county community, please listen and then add your voice to antis, because it will be the collective that finally gets justice for those two families, and that finally allows the parents and children of Putnam County in New York and Fairfield County in Connecticut to sleep perfectly.
Speaker 4: Put and again, Paul SOLITARIOFF, thank you so much for being so generous with your time. Everybody tuning in here on Netflix or your podcast platform of choice, you can find The Devil's Quarry now available wherever you listen to your favorite shows.
Speaker 5: Jim, thank you so very much.
Speaker 4: You're brought Eric, And there we have it, fellow conspiracy realist. This is a hero story. We're talking off air. Paul is in addition to being a phenomenal reporter, he is a man of principle who sacrificed a lot.
Speaker 5: Here.
Speaker 4: We have to have him back on the show.
Speaker 3: Guys, dude, some of the conversations we just had off my author good Lord, more to come. Let's just put it that way. And the man has some stories. I know I hung back a little bit on that one because I was just enraptured by the stories this guy was telling him. But I look forward to, you know, hanging out with him again down the line.
Speaker 2: Well, let's just we're not gonna say it fully, Paul, but we did just talk about the current president of the United States in time that you spent with him, and that kind of thing, while we may not say it on a podcast like this, is that kind of stuff is worth hearing for human beings.
Speaker 3: Insight into the character of an individual where it's really easy to make some guesses as to how this guy conducts himself behind closed doors. So to hear firsthand that not only where we write it's grosser and worse than we could have imagined, it doesn't form some of the things that it's easy to imagine, wonder about this man and be like, Okay, now I'm gonna stop being gas lit and just kind of believe that it's probably worse than we imagine.
Speaker 4: And please check out Paul's earlier work on Covenant House on the investigations that he mentioned in the course of our conversation tonight. We would love to hear your thoughts, folks, because we've also received leads from you, our fellow conspiracy realist, regarding stories of small town cover ups and corruption. They happen everywhere. As Paul was saying, so hit us up. Thank you for tuning in. You can find us on the lines, you can call us on a phone. You can always send us an email.
Speaker 3: Yes, If you want to find us online, you can reach out to the handles Conspiracy Stuff or Conspiracy Stuff Show, depending on which social media platform is your favorite.
Speaker 2: We have a phone number. It is one eight three three STDWYT. If you are going to call in about something like this, know that your phone number shows up for us. But the rest of it is just whatever you want to say, what you want to call yourself, and we are very discreet and we will not be sharing that with anyone unless we talk to you about it first, or you give us permission in that voicemail. Just a reminder about that. If you want to send us an email, we are.
Speaker 4: The entities the redeach piece of correspondence we receive. Be well aware, yet unafraid. Sometimes the void writes back. Given the nature of these topics, of course, our same rules apply for email. We will do our best to maintain your anonymity, and we will make sure that we have your express permission in correspondence before sharing anything with the wider world conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff they Don't Want You to Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.