Speaker 1: Questlove Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio. This classic episode was produced by the team at Pandora.
Speaker 2: What's Up, Everybody? It's Sugasteau from Team Supreme. June marks Black Music Month. We often speak about it on Questlove Supreme and we've had some of the legends responsible for the recognition on the show. Every day this June, we are running a different episode from the QLs archives to honor the tradition and attendant of Black Music Month. This week we are focusing on some of the great hip.
Speaker 3: Hop conversations in the QLs catalog.
Speaker 2: Our leader Questlove has a new book out called hip Hop's History. Check it out at questlove dot com. Today, we look back at a twenty eighteen interview with the one and Only Scarface. Earlier this month, the Houston legend performed at the Ruse Picnic.
Speaker 4: Listen back as he talks ghetto boys, solo career, and much more.
Speaker 5: Four Boys of what You'll see a genius We go.
Speaker 6: Supremo, Supremo, Supremo, Role, Supremo, Supremo, Supremo, Supremo Role.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my words in my bass, Yeah, I called you don't fuck it. That's all.
Speaker 6: Supremo Supremo Role Supremo Supremo.
Speaker 3: Rod My name is Fante Yeah, Pure Satisfaction. Yeah, with the King of the South. Yeah, DJ Action Supremo Supremo, Role called Supremo.
Speaker 4: Roll call.
Speaker 5: My name is Sugar Yo.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm disappointed though I thought I was gonna meet Al Pacino.
Speaker 6: Supreval roll Suprema Son Son Supremo.
Speaker 4: Roll call.
Speaker 5: I'm on pay Bill. Yeah, not feeling mad. Yeah, welcome Scarface Yeah, real name Brad.
Speaker 6: Suprema Supremo. Roll called Suprema Son Supremo.
Speaker 7: Roll call best like em Yeah with scarfre is in the place. Yeah, and it feels real weird. Yeah, but I love Faces Rome.
Speaker 6: Supremo. Roll cueing up right now, sure, roll call.
Speaker 3: My name is Space Yeah at X Yeah, talk that ship. Yeah, I'm the best. Roll call.
Speaker 6: Suppreval roll call Brema Sun Sun, roll call Suprema Son Sun Supremo.
Speaker 3: Roll called Suprema.
Speaker 5: Yes Sun Supremo roll call. Wait before I start the introduction for Layah.
Speaker 3: Anyway, ladies and gentlemen, welcome to a special South by Southwest edition of Course Left Supreme, brought to you by the fine folks of Pandora.
Speaker 5: Thank you all for coming out.
Speaker 3: Thank you for Ben.
Speaker 5: We are live outside behind a gas station. Tattoo Polo.
Speaker 3: Actually, I'm trying to go to that tattoo, Paula. Yeah, I'm going to get ink up.
Speaker 5: We'll join you.
Speaker 3: We'll all get the same collectively, all do that together. To my far right, I will say this is the god of blue collar grown man music. Make yes, yes, please support. No news is good news by our very own Finn Tiglo. What I gotta see your last name with this foma uh. And to his left is uh the super Uh when I say the super engineer for all those soul quarying classics you love by the Roots and Eric Abaudu and di'angelo and wowl blah.
Speaker 5: Blah, this man is the roots I forgot. Yeah us too.
Speaker 3: Uh. This is an also a host of chatting with Sugar on Instagram. Follow this man, we we need him to have more followers.
Speaker 5: S U g A.
Speaker 3: Sugar, Steve s t E v E. Sugar Steve uh mandel right here to uh police clap.
Speaker 5: And uh, my far life is my my fellow Hamiltonian. That sounds regal as fuck.
Speaker 3: I don't think yeah or hamilt Yeah, this is my my Hamilton brother right here. And also the the only member of q O l S. It's one step away from an egot or ghetto. We called it ghetto that g d E and the T. He's just waiting on the O day. Hope to be ghetto one day. You want to be ghetto, man, I'm telling you. And also the God of the children is children's television workshops still a thing?
Speaker 5: Or now sesame streets on HB.
Speaker 3: My boss is here, boss television works out still think no, it's not works Okay, I'll just took it over. Okay, I see anyway, give it up for unpaid bill.
Speaker 5: Two of my far left, please.
Speaker 3: They're not it hurts yes. And the the first lady of q l S. She organizes our lives and disrupts it. We haven't called her that in a second. I forgot I've been here in a minute. Well now now we we we dubbed her. It's like you so ladies and gentlemen, please give it up for it.
Speaker 5: It's like.
Speaker 7: Thank you'll all right?
Speaker 5: And uh, what can I say?
Speaker 3: You know, our guess is practically on every top five list of your favorite MC's MC ever compiled.
Speaker 5: If you ask any MC that you respect.
Speaker 3: That from anywhere from respect, Yeah, this man is in easily in their top five or their top three.
Speaker 5: Most of the times he's number one. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Uh. From his days of being the the the PM, mar C's Nightmare posted War as one third of the highly influential UH Boy. Yeah, from his jaw dropping sol outputs as as uh as a solo artist classics as uh missus Scarface's back, the world is yours, the fixed last of the dying breed, especially the Diary.
Speaker 5: And let's not forget his appearance as Upgrade. Yes, yes, shot right here in at XO.
Speaker 3: Did not to mention you. You've appeared with every hip hop god You've you've been on, from Big to jay Z Too Too Short to to Tupac to Devin the Dude Too. I can name them all, but we'll be here all day. Ladies and gentlemen, please give it up for God himself. Scarface. Yes, yes, I appreciate that introduction.
Speaker 5: How you doing, man? I'm doing good? How y'all doing so? Am I allowed to call you?
Speaker 3: I know?
Speaker 5: Rappers or are no? Man? We're friends for real, don't Yeah.
Speaker 3: I know what I'm saying When I see you what, Brad, But exactly, I know that you know we're in a professional settings and you know I'm still I'm still be red, Okay, and then.
Speaker 5: That's be ill. That's right, don't forget to forget it tomorrow. Be ill.
Speaker 3: How you doing today, bro? I can't complain about it, man, I'm enjoying it. It looking good, man, I feel pretty good. I mean, I'll say, in the last two years when I've seen you, are you used to people doing double takes and still like not knowing it?
Speaker 5: That that you when you come up and say, how doing no like it's the fifteen year old bread? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I want to see I want the secret of age regression. We were talking back stage earlier. You said you don't do no bread now like I'm not doing no bread. Wow, A chill on the bread, and I'm getting ready to do this this this uh uh intestinal cleanse. Okay, No, I don't know. The dude was talking about some testing ship and it says that that it's just gonna bust your ass wide open, stay.
Speaker 5: In the house for like two weeks.
Speaker 3: What right?
Speaker 4: That doesn't start today?
Speaker 5: Though?
Speaker 3: I took my first shot today, so we got I was kidding, but yeah, if you smell something found less mean you dropped like you dropped like one hundred over the past coup of years.
Speaker 5: Right, how long it was? Five years?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 5: Wow? Yeah?
Speaker 3: What was it? What did you do?
Speaker 5: Like cleanses and eating right and running and.
Speaker 7: Uh and having a five year old?
Speaker 5: No that came later.
Speaker 3: Can I can I ask though? Can one fully commit? I mean, I know we're in Austin, where Austin is quote weird, but can one fully commit to a healthy lifestyle below the Mason Dixon line?
Speaker 5: Hard?
Speaker 3: If you want to south, if your life is on the line, you gotta do with what what what they say?
Speaker 7: Do?
Speaker 5: Oh that's your yo.
Speaker 7: But I was in the fifth Ward last year and I was trying to find greens. It was really hard.
Speaker 5: Well, you didn't go to the right spot in the ghetto. They ain't got no healthy story.
Speaker 7: This is what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: They got they got fucking uh.
Speaker 3: The little uh Chinese little spots that they that the soul food, that's the new soul food. Yeah, so you got to go to a TV shout out to a g B B because my buddy was like a higher up at hg BE and he passed away.
Speaker 4: Are you shouting out heaps of them on the stage. I don't know what's going on here?
Speaker 5: What is a GV? Never mind.
Speaker 3: Outside Joe, but they really really take care of the people, man. So I got a lot of respect for those guys. And I don't spend no money nowhere else but there. That's what's up. So you were born in the fifth Ward, correct sir, yo every every time, like, oh for one hundred on that from the south side.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 5: Okay, but you were born in Houston. Correct? Pretty much you're going outside of Houston. Still wrong? May close enough Houston. I guess I'm a Houstonian. Okay, I'm a native Houstonian.
Speaker 3: Cool, Okay, Well yeah, I actually I don't know much about your your your early beginnings, like what was your childhood like as far as before you got into hip hop, Like it was a lot of funk and rock and roll. Really, I'm I'm a walking encyclopedia. When it comes to funk and rock and roll, it's you know, soul, not R and B.
Speaker 5: Yes, soul. Okay, we'll explain to me, Like what was your what was your household?
Speaker 3: Like, like, how did you so when my mom went to work, I went to my grandmother's house, and all my uncles were in the rock and roll, so we played you know, uh thin Lizzy, Ted Nugent, Uh fucking.
Speaker 5: You're a big Pink Floyd fan, right Pink Floyd Rush.
Speaker 3: But when we got home, we listened to Marvin Gaye and Prince you know Osley Brothers.
Speaker 5: That was at my mom's house. At my grandmother's house was rocked out.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, was that unusual though for your Like why were your uncles into that particular?
Speaker 5: I don't know. I just that's hot.
Speaker 3: That's what I grew up here, So I don't I didn't know it was anything. It's supposed to be different about it. You feel me like, I didn't know even.
Speaker 7: When you talk to your friends about music.
Speaker 5: I grew up around all my uncle so I could fight real good.
Speaker 3: So no one tests a year. My grandma think me, man, we fight like okay, okay, fight with my uncles. I was a little dude fighting the big dudes. So ano that you're a guitarist, so like, how still I'm pretty good? I don't remember that you Are you related to Johnny Nash? Yes, I can see clearly now, Wow, he's your cousin. Does your family come from Jamaica or is he just know what happened?
Speaker 5: Is Johnny from Houston? What about that accent? Though?
Speaker 3: He don't got no accent? Your faking accent? Johnny don't got no Jamaican accent? You serious?
Speaker 5: Oh god?
Speaker 7: People just affiliate that song with like no, he wrote a lot of records for ball Mally too.
Speaker 5: Did you know that?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 5: Okay, I would assume that he came from Jamaica.
Speaker 3: So he's from Houston, Texas South Park, Damn man, John Andy Coole as hell too. He got a song that's gonna last forever, man, like you know, your kids, kids, kids don't know.
Speaker 5: I can see everybody knows the way. I got a better one than that. What he wrote? Hercules Brothers the cartoon? What wait?
Speaker 3: What what's going on? They had a cartoon called Hercules. Y'all remember he wrote the fucking ship for it. Sorry we should I didn't know that. I didn't wow Hercules that's him? Oh wow, yeah wow. So he just left Hercules. He left the music, went to Jamaica, really left Hercules went.
Speaker 5: To Bob as you do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's then I know that.
Speaker 5: Is he a first cousin or second cousin or first cousin.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, I think that his grandfather and my grandfather was brothers and some ship.
Speaker 5: I don't know. It was old folks. I annoyed.
Speaker 3: We cousins and we be hanging out and I haven't seen him in the about eight months though.
Speaker 5: Okay, oh, so you're still live and yeah, you're alive, and well he lives in Houston, very rich.
Speaker 4: Can he still see clearly?
Speaker 5: You know what that may be? That's a good question. That's a good question. I don't know. That was. That was a good one seen him? Do I get a yes? Sorry, it already happened a Q. Yes, don't do that, Steve. I won't say.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to do better than that.
Speaker 5: That was. That was the best one. So what what was the The only Houston resident that we've had on the show is Premiere. So how premiere not from Houston?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 4: We got a map and like that ancestry dot com up here.
Speaker 5: I think Premiere from prayv you and some ship.
Speaker 3: Yet it's not Houston man. Okay, all right, so whostone anybody from Houston?
Speaker 7: So break down.
Speaker 3: If you have heard him say that he had Houston roots, but it might be BV roots, Okay, but we love Premier.
Speaker 5: He's dope and he's dope.
Speaker 3: Right yeah, all right, you set me straight, and my ongoing uh ignorance of geography continues.
Speaker 5: On the show. It's really you can be I don't know, well, no, not really.
Speaker 3: You can't really get prav confused with Houston because it's not really that close.
Speaker 5: Okay, that ship is like an hour away or something.
Speaker 7: I mean, Textas is big as ship outside. We're just trying to learn it's big, you know, man. But because you don't even know the different personalities between you know, Austin, Texas, Dallas. Everybody got different personalities.
Speaker 5: Right, let me break down the pres here we go.
Speaker 3: Okay, me being from Houston, like I love Houston, right, but I also know that that that Houston is like it's a SYRP town, so it's cool and laid back and slow, all right. Dallas it's like like fucking Mars. Like it's a totally different world in Dallas than it is in Houston and Austin.
Speaker 5: It's like a small like Humbo County.
Speaker 3: Like it's like it's like everybody's doing their own ship and enjoying it.
Speaker 5: You know what I mean, nobody's mad. They go out, they they jam, they party.
Speaker 3: They have south By Southwest, they have Austin City limits or whatever that ship is.
Speaker 5: For the record, Austin is my second favorite city on the earth. This is the ship, Like, this is badass.
Speaker 3: If I were to retired, this is the second this is the second city on my time. This is like Austin is in the class by itself. I wish that they would legalize marijuana here.
Speaker 7: South in the Texas were all that with that?
Speaker 5: Not y'all?
Speaker 7: Damn it got quiet.
Speaker 3: I don't give I think I think Austin's with you. I think it's the rest of Texas coming to board. I think all of the fucking old people need to die and let us have it. I don't give what funk. So how did how did hip hop culture reach you in in Houston? It started with music, you know, it started with music. It started it started with growing up in a band. I started to learned how to play ship. You know. So you were in high school bands and then I was in elementary school, junior high school bands. I'm talking about bands like everybody when I when I was growing up, everybody played something, you know, everybody had a bass, so somebody had some drums in their so somebody had to guitar, somebody blew the horn, and some ship. Now that they've taken the the music out of the schools and then we're suffering. You know, music was like a universal language. Man, we all love that shit so now and now it's gone.
Speaker 5: But excuse me. I grew up in that. I grew up in music, and when.
Speaker 3: Hip hop came, you know, it was mind blowing because I've seen some people that was like me. They was kids and they was jamming. You know, Uh, what's the ship? Rappers Delight was one of the first hip hop songs I had heard. My cousin is from New York, so I spent a lot of time up there and I heard a lot of shit. So it was kind of like cheating a little bit because them they could really really rap and I can really really rap too, So we had a lot a lot of.
Speaker 5: Fun, you know what I mean. So you guys, and that's how you got a lot of your education. I did. Well.
Speaker 3: See that that shows why you're a cut above the rest because you have you have that early education.
Speaker 5: With I was. I was, I was way in the hip hop like way ahead in hip hop.
Speaker 3: Do you remember how old you were? How old you were when you wrote your first round? Probably was about fourteen fifteen. But what was the moment where you were like, Okay, I seen a man die. Wow, That's when I knew, like, oh shit, oh you mean literally not the song the song I song.
Speaker 5: If you ain't him to my in my catalog. That was when I really knew that. Oh ship you guys, when you broke that song, it took that long.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it was all fun and games in the beginning, right, You make a song and you go home and ship and listen to it. Bro I broke my fucking hand. I broke my hand, and I had some painkillers, and I was I drink. I used to drink a lot of Miller lights, and I smoked weed, and I was so high, like I had never been high in my life.
Speaker 5: And I remember, Yo, can we hang out as we should? Let me remind you awesome You called smoking going to jail right? So quiet? No, it's quiet because.
Speaker 2: Events staff, they're not they're not cops. No, sorry, So you were saying you were high as fuck.
Speaker 5: I was super high, super high, And then.
Speaker 3: I remember being in the studio and the lights was off, like like my it was dark, dark, dark, and all you can see was the the glass. The engineer in the glass was Mike Dean. It was just me and Mike Dean in that studio, so was the engineer. That's the inspiration for all the great song. No don't play ship either.
Speaker 5: I don't play that. So when.
Speaker 3: The first words and the way that it was dark and it was cold in there, and I don't like cold, all right, So when those first words came.
Speaker 5: Out right shot seal something my fucking body, I was like, oh.
Speaker 3: You too.
Speaker 5: It hit me.
Speaker 3: It's kind of where I was. And it was at that moment Brad and new he had sucked up. Right then, it's right right then, hit. It's weird to hear you have a spiritual experience about yourself, like you're also you're also one of your your favorite rappers.
Speaker 5: That's kind of cool. You don't really like me? No really No.
Speaker 3: It was that moment that I knew I have fucked up. I hit that he greeted his father with this that ship.
Speaker 5: I was like, tell us the line, the full line.
Speaker 3: He greeted his father with his hands out rehabilitated, slightly, glad to be the man's child. He glad to see his old man when he walked out that bag. Shots just shot that ship up your spine. Well, I don't know if y'all ever had a really, really good nut, but that's how it felt.
Speaker 7: You'll learn maybe when your thirties.
Speaker 5: I ain't am out of that, my bad man. I want to apologize to Sesame Street.
Speaker 3: So wait, what what I'm saying is you're saying that when you wrote that, then you felt like you were when I wrote it when you heard it back. Okay, But I'm just saying, when in your teens did you feel like Okay, I'm just gonna prosue.
Speaker 5: You just mean you were just messing around that whole time? Oh fucking right. I didn't even expect to get paid.
Speaker 3: For it, even during my mind's playing tricks on hand before I knew I wasn't get paid for that one. But you know, I had no fucking idea that this ship paid. Man, So like, huh yeah, he wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait you mean you're trying to pay me yeah to rap? Yeah, but I what but not the monetary reward of it. I mean in terms of no fuck that a quest. It was about the money when we was growing up, because we ain't have none, right like that. She was about the money, like we we did some ship that was strictly for the money before a rap started. All right, So when you said that you was gonna pay me to rap and I had to do this no more, A no brainer.
Speaker 5: So when did when did y'all form Ghetto Boys? How did that come about?
Speaker 3: I wasn't there, So the original information was Johnny? So why did how did they just? Or I guess asked about J Prince? Like what is I've heard a lot about the legend of J Prince, but can't I don't know anything about him, but I know.
Speaker 5: That it's it's a legend.
Speaker 3: Who is JA what?
Speaker 5: And who is J Prince? And how did he bring you into the fold of the Ghetto Boys?
Speaker 3: And in my opinion, Jay is a masterful thinker m hm. He's probably up in the top tier of thinkers chess players. If you know, like an Einstein type of motherfucker, that's him. He has to be, because when you google him, you can't find nothing about him. And that's the most amazing he's I don't know, I would be more afraid of James than Trump. Wow for real, yeah for real, Like he's a masterful fucking thing. Yeah, he's a master strategist. So how did you guys meet and how he did he bring you into? Nah, it was like he heard the song and he was like, Hey, we're gonna put that guy in this group.
Speaker 5: And that's what it was.
Speaker 3: But that's not that's not an average thing. Like you know, I got a group. Hey, I'm like, but you it was like I got a group and Ghetto Boys cool, You're gone, You're gone, You're in, You're cool.
Speaker 5: My face is in.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 5: What you remember what record was it of yours that he heard that makes the the original?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 5: Yeah fucked him up, Like, oh hell no, I don't want no competition that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So was he the mastermind behind you guys just being because when I when I first heard of y'all, I guess.
Speaker 5: When Chuck G.
Speaker 3: Chuck D shouted you guys out on Fear of a Black Planet, That's the first time I heard of the Ghetto Boys.
Speaker 5: And then I'll say, like.
Speaker 3: Maybe two months later, then suddenly you guys were just I heard like I saw more of your press than I heard the music because the controversy with the with the pm r C and I guess, uh, I forget who the head editor?
Speaker 5: Well, no, no, the head editor of Billboard was Ted.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: I forget his name, Like it's is like, no, no, he's going, He's gone. But is he dead? Oh?
Speaker 7: You got something?
Speaker 3: I'm just asking Like usually like people don't just step down. People don't relinquish that. People that don't just relinquish their power. So if Ted, either either Ted is dead or Ted is rich.
Speaker 5: I forget.
Speaker 3: I forget his name, but I remember reading his his uh editor about the shock of this album, and instantly I was like, I gotta get this and the album that was was gripping on the other level. Okay, they're just when we did like three hundred thousand records independently on the first one before Rick even picked the ship up. So how did Rick even get Uh? He probably heard of ship somewhere, you know, Like so it wasn't like you guys were looking for me.
Speaker 5: Now, we're not looking for a deal at all.
Speaker 3: But when you make somebody on an offer that they can't refuse, you kind of got to make that move.
Speaker 7: You feel Me and were y'all the first like Southern group on at the time.
Speaker 5: It was American So Rick had left Death Jam and started Deaf.
Speaker 3: But you know what, I'm gonna go out on the limb and say I might have been the first Southern act on Death Jam.
Speaker 5: Yeah you were, because who else?
Speaker 3: Because you were before Loot right No no, no, no, no no no Luther came out on Death Jam South Oh you mean yeah, just jam proper.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was Deaf Jam with the with the with the turntable. That was super important.
Speaker 3: That's a that's a bucket list playing right there, Like to be on death Jam, that was a dream.
Speaker 5: That's a childhood dream.
Speaker 3: To be on Death Jam from Houston, Texas, like not like a small little neighborhood in Houston, Texas called South Akers And I'm on fucking death Jam.
Speaker 5: That's real supposed to be easy to never ever.
Speaker 3: Take my my travel, you know, my journey for granted, bro, Like I'm from right there and I'm sitting here with one of my favorite, my favorite drummer.
Speaker 5: I call him what I call you, the human NBC you told.
Speaker 3: PC like he doesn't. That's my favorite compliment. That's my favorite compliment. He's the human in PC. I used to think he got mad. I used to I was like, man, he got man. I call him a drum machine. No, that that's what that was always my life cold to be like a drum to be that, Yeah, you're in that pocket, bro, I gotta bit man.
Speaker 5: Y'all give it a one time a quest because he's a bad motherfucker. I love that.
Speaker 7: This is the first is a question.
Speaker 5: He actually took a compliment. Everyone hit me with the thing. I don't That's all I got. I was like, wait, can I take over my show? Please? Go right ahead? All right. So when you're.
Speaker 3: When you're most most group situations are you know, usually childhood friends that jail with each other and and and then become a group. You guys were sort of just similar, like it's almost like a boy band almost like like this is how the ship happened.
Speaker 5: You knew him and him and me, and we had no idea who the fuck we were.
Speaker 3: We know, we didn't know. We just got in the vand one day and rolled out somewhere and wrapped. It seemed like a super group though, because it's a supergroup. So how did you guys? Was it easy to gel as a group. I mean, you're strangers and suddenly you're gonna enter this this business venture.
Speaker 5: I had no idea that it would turn into a business.
Speaker 3: I thought it was just I thought it was just having fun rapping and recording the ship, you know, like this was my first time. I had no idea about nothing in the music industry, nothing about the music business period. So I just wrote my ship and I left. Wow, you know, we're not friends, we don't hang out, were not cool. I don't know, y'all, So what what made here for? So y'all weren't friends?
Speaker 5: Y'all? You just kill We're not friends now?
Speaker 7: Wore no way? But are you family now?
Speaker 3: Like? Is it like that?
Speaker 7: Like you know, don't like them?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 7: Okay?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, and don't say Bill his name too long, too too loud. He'll pop his little lass up in here.
Speaker 7: Oh ship.
Speaker 5: I swear.
Speaker 3: I had a crazy I had a crazy uh uh Bushwick Bill story where I.
Speaker 5: Didn't realize that he had gotten on stage.
Speaker 3: This one there was it's like ninety seven, ninety eight, and I was playing with a very unusual kick drum. Maybe it was a twenty eight inch kick drum.
Speaker 5: It was like the part of the size. He was standing up in front of him inside my kick drum?
Speaker 1: Whoa what?
Speaker 5: Please tell me?
Speaker 7: Please tell me.
Speaker 3: It was like he was like laying and there was a pillow. There was a bunch of pillows, drum. He sat on the drum riser, and then he just took a nap inside of the kid. I've heard more crazy stories about Bill, like that's the one thing we never asked MC search for story.
Speaker 5: But hey, I was in the group with him.
Speaker 7: Look like that Martin episode.
Speaker 5: My favorite is face.
Speaker 3: But what was that? What was that?
Speaker 5: Face?
Speaker 3: Nobody loves me, Nobody loves me face. Nobody loves his short man. But boy, how a short man can love? Yeah, I got some real stories, man, But I let him tell his own man. So the cover of We Can't be Stopped, that's real.
Speaker 5: I was pissed. You can tell it by the I'm looking. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was like, man, that's so fucking disrespectful. So tell me the call that you got. Obviously, Jay Prince, get to the hospital right now.
Speaker 5: No, he didn't say that. Hey don't Jay, don't get on the phone. Man Chief called us.
Speaker 7: Uh oh, this is the infamous cover.
Speaker 3: Yees where he's in the hospital, just set it up for our listeners. So I guess the legend was that he mixed but clear with something that was so clear we tried to shoot his eye out. He made the song about ever so clear joints. He shot a bushwick. Bill shot his eye out, and I can see the look. Did I fall marketing? Tell me the story. Let I'm gonna let him tell his own sto. No, no, no, you were one of the covers, So explain to me how that cover came to be. So we had heard like at five o'clock in the morning, Bill got shot and he got shot in the eye, and I was like, funk, it's over. Yeah, like he's fucking dead. But some kind of way that little motherfucker was rose up.
Speaker 5: Like I was ship.
Speaker 7: Did he go through or where does it go?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the way it went, But I know that motherfucker ain't dead. He went to the hospital. They were like, yeah, man, y'all might want to come up here and get this albucol. Because Jake so fucking smart he thought Bill was gonna die too, so so he wanted y'all to post next the body. Oh my god, hey, bro, I can't make that up. Man. We thought Bill was gonna die and he was gonna take a picture on Bill's deathbed, and that she was gonna sell a million records, and he did.
Speaker 5: Fuck it, did it? So?
Speaker 3: I mean, first, you know, if Bill would had his eyes closing, ship, I would have been cool with it.
Speaker 5: But but he had a fucking phone on his head, the old brick phone.
Speaker 3: That ship was like this big He's sitting up on the gurney like you see his legs and shp like he was sitting up on that bitch like this.
Speaker 5: You can see.
Speaker 3: Like a big ass man with some little short little legs and ship. Right, he's got his fucking band aid off, his eye hanging down. His eye is fucking sticking out like a Halloween man. And I'm like, shit, you serious? You want taking picture with this this fucking Halloween costume?
Speaker 5: Bro? No man.
Speaker 3: And from that point on, Bill has been like a Halloween like a walking like a twenty four seven, three sixty five fucking Halloween costume. Bro. He became chucky. He became a Halloween costume because he was a joker too. You're right, and now he's now when's the last time you talked to him. He damn that long now, bro decade, I don't never talk to Bill no more work.
Speaker 5: I'm good like wow, No, I'm fine, like it's good like we left in a great place.
Speaker 3: What about you and Willie Deed, y'all have any We just talk sometimes, Okay, okay?
Speaker 5: But will he ain't come out on stage man one time. Man, I still kind of feel fucked up about that. When was this We had a concert in Houston and ship and it was DJ Quick and.
Speaker 3: A few other you know, e Ford like some great ship going on, right, And I was a co headliner with ice Cube all right. Now, a couple of weeks before WILLI came out with Trench, Willie Ambial came out with Trench to do this do the mind playing tracks record, right, And I wrote the fucking record, So I do this ship man, And I'm thinking, Willy gonna come out and do the ship on the strip because you know you're probably gonna go on to it one of these days.
Speaker 5: And then he didn't go out on my set and went out on ice Cube. Shit.
Speaker 3: I was like, you know what, man, I ain't never going towards you no more. We ain't gonna never do no more songs.
Speaker 7: No motherfucking none of that a tribute to hip hop honors NBA.
Speaker 5: You know I don't believe that, right o? God? Yeah, come on, man, it has to happen.
Speaker 7: You know you said something though you wrote all of your minds land tricks on you, the.
Speaker 3: Whole song except for Willie's verse. And I did the beat, okay, how okay? The the splash, the splash symbol at the end of each verse.
Speaker 5: How okay.
Speaker 3: This is only a nerd question that a mirror would ask, what was the ideology I have No.
Speaker 5: You knew that was the Yeah, I knew. But here's the thing.
Speaker 3: You know, how you run your you program your your NBC sixty right, and you gotta do the change up in the last two. Yes, And that's that's one of my favorite when I'm when I'm hitting a crash symbol. That's that's my crash symbol that I always hear. It's one of the loudest. It could have been poorly mixed too, though, so it probably was. But it you know it, if I mixed that record or map, it has made my arm coming down with the force of hercules on every symbol I've ever hit.
Speaker 5: Is that what you did mind playing tracks on you did on the NPC, I did it.
Speaker 3: On the NPC sixty and U and EPs the Sonic Wow, EPs Wow.
Speaker 7: Can you not? I'm not. I'm just my first nerd out moment. But can you walk us through that that beat process just like where it started from?
Speaker 4: And how you a room?
Speaker 7: Now? I mean that song, I mean that particular song, that particular song.
Speaker 5: So when.
Speaker 3: Willy left the group after the ice Cube disc the ice Cube with No Basiline, Oh yeah, yeah. When ice Cube said WILLI d told me to let a whole be a hole, that was the end of the Ghetto Boys for good.
Speaker 5: That was it. Woow.
Speaker 3: He thought he's bigger than the group.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: I don't know that's between y'all to talk about, but I know that after that shit happened, it was no more will he left wow, because that's what I was going out like a soldier record.
Speaker 5: That was next.
Speaker 3: I have no idea, I don't know, but that's what happened. I was working want to, I was forced to work on solo album, your first album. Oh just the missis Scarface's back. Yeah, and this is all in my book too. By the way, you're saying you didn't want to make that first solo record. I wasn't even trying to be no fucking rapper. That shit was too much, It took too much time, and it wasn't paying the fucking money.
Speaker 5: The fuck. I want to be a rapper. Form. Just give me enough money to buy this so I can flip that and do this. That's what I want to do. I want to do that that rap shit. Okay, wait, let me enter retire one second.
Speaker 3: This also is the ongoing continuation of our discovery that all classics and all great moments are done in that alpha state. Oh yeah, where if you plan, if you plan a great moment or if you plan to make a classic, whatever, it never works.
Speaker 5: But when it's just an afterthought, like.
Speaker 3: Whatever, that's what the magic is.
Speaker 5: That's crazy.
Speaker 3: So all this time I'm thinking that that first solo record was like this plan for you, like to pull a Michael Jackson off the.
Speaker 5: Wall, and not that I can recall.
Speaker 3: Man, I could be wrong, but I if I if I if I recall correctly, I was. I was making songs for UH for my solo album, and I had a song called my mind playing tricks on Me. I had three verses, my first two verses, and this year Halloween fell on the weekend verse. All right, well some kind of way priority Uh had a meeting with James and I. That record ended up on the Ghetto Boys record. Oh yeah, that was my solo. So I was on my solo album. Okay, but it helped us set up your solo though, Like, that's that's the that's the biggest fucking move that we could have made. You know, it set up everybody's solo. If everybody got it, if everybody got if everybody coming off the success of a great fucking group album, then everybody has the opportunity to break solo. I mean it also, well good, it's your talk show, no no, no podcast continue.
Speaker 5: I I took.
Speaker 3: And once I tasted the blood, like, I was like fuck that. Like I can argue with myself. I can be at odds with me by myself. I don't have to have three other motherfuckers to argue with. I can just go in this motherfucker and fight with me. You know, I could deal with my own ego. That's the most fun anyway.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I like, man ain't right.
Speaker 7: So wait, so since that song is your baby, what does it feel like, all these years later to have a song that's like like every Halloween it is a time.
Speaker 3: And you know what the greatest part about that is, I'm right there in the same light as my cousin because his.
Speaker 5: Song's gonna play forever.
Speaker 3: Mind playing tricks, that song is gonna play forever. Like all the rest of that ship that I did in my life may not play for it made it. That shit made end pretty soon, but I know that every time. If they don't take away Halloween, I'm good. Yea, So how did you tread it? Oh? Wait, I kind of want to go back to the first record. What I want to know is is that you know, for those that aren't steeped and and and and and baptized in hip hop culture, you know a lot of the ideas of what, especially in the political world, that were against rap music at the time. I mean, you guys were basically that, you know, the most shocking, the most disgusting, whatever, like you could whatever, it's superlative you could use. Was it was the plan for that in the studio, like We're just going to be the most offensive group of all time. I don't, I don't. I don't think you could plan that. You know, I think that you look at what's happening around you, like, and this was. You know, I remember going to Milwaukee and going to Jeffrey Dahmer's house and ship where he did that ship.
Speaker 5: At Wait you went there? Why? I mean you you hear about the ship?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know a venue you all play too, because it was His house was right across the street from this big giant Milwaukee venue, only it's like a Masonic temple hall.
Speaker 7: Did he performed.
Speaker 5: Dahmer's house? We didn't stop. I've been curious about what was on the inside of that apartment. Yeah, I didn't go in. There wasn't anything.
Speaker 3: I remember passing by that motherfucker stopping and getting scared. Oh god, yeah, the house was empty.
Speaker 5: Everything was. I don't know if that motherfucker was in jail yet now he ate.
Speaker 4: Everything in the house. Missing that point, you're missing the whole point.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, excuse me. That is Yes, that was a great one. You can get one for that.
Speaker 3: So with all of that ship going on, Uh, guys, we just kind of rapped about it, you know, but you y'all realized y'all were the first to really cross that line. Like at that point n w A was the was the high mark of offense, and even their stuff was more politically offensive, right, not like to the level y'all Like that boy said, uh like having sex with corpses and ship? Yeah, like what like I think that was?
Speaker 5: I would I didn't write that, by the way.
Speaker 3: It would take a little bitty spooky looking motherfucker the sat ship like that, But he.
Speaker 5: Didn't write it either.
Speaker 3: Willie wrote that verse was really right that a guy named Jukebox wrote that, and Jukebox later went to jail for like a murder or something.
Speaker 7: Of course because he was having of course.
Speaker 3: No, I'm nah, it was just it was just one of those men. We we really weathered a storm that we wasn't supposed to get out of, you know what I'm saying, Like, it was a lot of shit that went on in those years.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: It was a lot of uh uh uh people getting killed. There was a lot of people going to jail. There was a lot of people being indicted. There was a lot of motherfucking friends falling out and not speaking no more. Like, it was a lot of penitentiary chances that went on doing that shit during that time.
Speaker 5: Man and we weathered that storm.
Speaker 3: Man, And from from seventeen years old to right now, man, I'm I'm.
Speaker 5: Happy, bro, I'm coming up on my thirty and hip hop yeah nice and in actual years too.
Speaker 7: I mean, you could you could do that? You could you could do that.
Speaker 3: I signed my contract August seventeenth, nineteen eighty seven. No eighty eight, I'm lying eighty eight. I was seventeen years old and now forty seven. That's amazing, man, Ain't shit amazing by being forty seven? Man, you just gotta keep waking up. This shit hurts.
Speaker 5: I want to get to the I want to get to the diary that was.
Speaker 3: I feel I'm gonna skip skip over the world one, but we can get no, no, no, no, go to it. No no no, that's talking about I got some cool shit that happened there, yea, So let me roll all right? Is that you planning based on.
Speaker 5: My uncle playing the base? Man?
Speaker 3: I got one of the coldest uncles at like my uncle Eddie, and we're not friends.
Speaker 5: We don't get along at all.
Speaker 4: So can I interrupt here because I'm confused.
Speaker 2: You seem like a super friendly guy who has no friends, So why aren't your friends with even your uncle.
Speaker 3: Also, that's say, yo, we should play one, but not right now, but that he's right playing now though I'll save it for later. Yeah, Like, I'm really cool as fun, but I don't got no friends. I don't really want no friends.
Speaker 5: What about us? Can we be?
Speaker 4: Can we can quest love?
Speaker 5: Now? That's that's the second time you asked to be his friend.
Speaker 7: I knew that before.
Speaker 5: You as actually uh cool, it me and cool, but the rest of y'all wasn't really you know, I'm gonna I'm gonna get him.
Speaker 3: On chatting with that's so listen, first of all, Mike Dean, how did he enter into the to the conversation? Because so Mike Dean was an engineer, Uh okay, okay, but Mike Dean playing for Selena? Ah wow, Okay, Mike Dean was Mike Dean.
Speaker 5: Was a keyboard player of Saxophone player some ship for Selena.
Speaker 3: Okay, so, but but listen though, like Mike Dean is a bad motherfuckers he's cold. You ever heard the intro to Jesse James. Yes, Mike Dean and Mike Dean a bad motherfucker straight up. We would bring ship to the studio and start making, you know, making making songs or whatever. And Mike Dean would play on that ship. Yeah, and he's a masterful mixer for those that don't know, I mean right now, I mean, Mike Dean's really getting this moment in the sun. Kanye as Kanye's Travis Scott. Everything he did Panda right, did he do well? He did stuff on Designer's record. Okay, Okay, I don't know what I mean, it's name it like from two chains to I mean, he's popping more now.
Speaker 5: But I didn't realize that he worked on your records first.
Speaker 3: So I wanted to ask you about the rap a Lot production squad. So n O, Joe Beato all, what was the deal with those cats? How involvedre you in that? You're forgetting me right, I'm saying you. I had you in the credit read them fucking credits. I read them, trust me. How did What was it like when you collaborating with them? I think that you know, Joe has his own style and SODA's Beato. You know we forgot about tongue tongue. He's fucking awesome too. Like I started the production deal, I mean, I started that production movement off, you know, what I mean, Like from from I've Seen a Man Die to My Mind playing, I did my mind playing tricks by my I did my whole first solo album by myself.
Speaker 5: I did all of those beats except for maybe like.
Speaker 3: Uh Bornier and I didn't do money in the Power, and I didn't do He's Dead.
Speaker 5: That was I think Simon did that. But I did the rest of that ship. Okay, all right?
Speaker 3: Listening to uh the ninety six Ghetto Boys the album to Death do his part part? Yeah, read the credits. I probably did all that ship, but about one and two songs too. Man, putting together that production team, just everybody collabing and making great music. I think that's how you make great music. Yeah, you know, everybody's gotta gotta want a jam. You know, everybody gotta have an input. It can't be no fucking egos, you know what I mean, Like I don't have an ego. Like, let's just let's just cham, let's make the best record that we can make, and then we'll argue about who did this ship.
Speaker 5: The best win is over with the will let the fans aside. I'm jumping around.
Speaker 3: So the diary, what made you take ninety nine left balloons, Yes for going down Drugs mixed total six. I love that fucking song man.
Speaker 5: The first Oh we all My uncle played the bass on that ship.
Speaker 3: So, like I'm telling you, my uncle Eddie is probably the best musician that I've ever heard in my life.
Speaker 5: And I don't like that motherfucker. Just do not get along? Is that him playing based on join everything? Everything? Everything?
Speaker 3: What's his full name so we can look him up, Eddie Wilson. He's a bad motherfucker. He bad like Prince though, but anything. He can play cheers and jam, but he blind, he's bind and he's a fucking asshole, bro, not like a blind man.
Speaker 5: Like that's I'm fucked up too.
Speaker 3: Like.
Speaker 5: I don't like that motherfucker. That motherfucker don't like me, so believe it at that. Sometimes the best collaborations are tension, you know what I mean. He's fucking awesome, man, He's awesome. He's to hear him compliment the same thing.
Speaker 2: Remember that that show This Is Your Life where they would bring on different people from your past.
Speaker 4: Yes, like he should be a contestant exactly, just bring keep bringing on all the people you hate.
Speaker 5: Sure now will fly you out now we'll bring you out.
Speaker 3: Bro. So did you, I mean, at least with the Diary, did you feel as though like that was your that let me tell you what happened with the between the Diary and the world is yours?
Speaker 5: Okay, so.
Speaker 3: The world is George? Were smoking like regular dirt ass weed. I heard the story before when we got to fucking California, talk about it.
Speaker 5: Who was smoking? That ship? That has you?
Speaker 3: Like? So that that was that was not going balloons?
Speaker 7: Wow, that's called the chronic that ship.
Speaker 5: That's what that ship was mean. It made you feel different, so it made you think different.
Speaker 3: So when you felt different and you it made you think and it played different, it was like, Wow, that's when ship started jamming.
Speaker 5: I think I think it was the weeds Man. Yeah.
Speaker 3: What question I always had for you with going from the Diary to the Untouchable, Like it seemed like your production just stepped up level.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Taller bad Man Man, south Side south Side that was my record on that. Wow. Yeah. But Mike mixed.
Speaker 3: Mike was he He mixed, and he mixed a lot of those albums, and he played on a lot of those albums. But the production and the the mixing and the mastering of those albums right there for second and nothing. Nah, yeah, you could hear it it whatever it was, Like, Wow, do you I mean, do you as far as you being on everyone's like top ten list and and.
Speaker 5: You know this level of respect that you get, do you feel.
Speaker 3: Do you feel valued or like, I mean, I've never read about you like getting to beef with other rappers, and I'm into the level that it was with during that period of the East Coast, West Coast and this and that you were sort of like the you were Switzerland almost like you were the happy medium. Like, but did you feel as though like I should be getting more of respect like I pioneered?
Speaker 5: Nah? Man, I'm cool. Man. I like this. I like being down here on ground level.
Speaker 3: I like being able to come out to Austin and walk back out through the crowd, take a few pictures, and take my ass on back to my room. You know, I don't I don't want a whole bunch of fucking people around me. You know, I don't need an entourage. I like being down here on ground level with everybody else, like treat me like regular people. All Right, I'm gonna ask you the cliche question that I hate journalists asking me, but because you're such a pioneer of the South, Uh, how do you feel now today that Southern culture is so ubiquitous now in hip hop where it's now well, no, no, I'm just saying that it's it's the it's the gold standard, it's you know what. You know what run DMC's version of New York was for hip hop where everyone had to follow that template. Now Southern rap, especially with as far as Houston is concerned, Like, how do you do you feel some sort of way about it now or the way that the culture has reinterpret or evolved?
Speaker 5: Is it evolved or has it regressed?
Speaker 3: That's kind of what I'm asking Let me let me let me finish though, Let me finish, because I feel like like when when when we first got started, it was impossible to break in New York. It was nobody in Peelly fucked with us, you know, but Scarfaces back was then I got Then I got love? Yeah, then I got love. But everything sounds everybody had their own identity, though everybody now sounds like one big long a record, like everything sounds exactly the Internet. We can probably blame the Internet for the inter neutralized undefeated. Yeah, it's it's killed in regionalism. You can't tell who's from where. Everyone sounds the same.
Speaker 7: It's funny you say about regionalism because literally I was talking to a good friend of mine from I'm from DC, but we were talking about him, I know, and we were talking about your relationship with DC because he was like, you know, in light of the anniversary of celebrating of Biggi's death, He's like, for DC, dudes, we weren't really in that pop versus Biggie thing. For us, it was Scarface then number one because he came to d C and he performed with go go bands that you still do to this day to day. Yeah, but can you to speak to that in that relationship, and it goes to the regionalism and relationships with different markets like that.
Speaker 3: I like. I like the idea of d C having his own identity man like d C never swapped out and went nowhere else.
Speaker 5: There was always Go Go you know, you had some you have some dope ass rappers out of there, you know.
Speaker 3: But but mainly the music in d C, like Backyard can have an r E can have a show in d C and sell the fucking place out. They don't need no rapper in it. They don't need no big names. They are the big name. And the whole fucking play is from from wall to wall and singing the song.
Speaker 5: I'm like, damn ship, I'm glad I didn't close.
Speaker 3: Yeah nah, it's d C is like me in d C is like Frankie Beverly in New Orleans, like he can always go there and get a check, right.
Speaker 7: DC just said it's like bevery Frankie Beverly in d C, because you know we claim him too, just like we claim y'all.
Speaker 5: Yeah he is he is. Yeah, you're sure, right, but man like yeah, no, no, no, no, no, no, no no no, you're phelly.
Speaker 7: So why you I was born and raised in DC. I got a rep and that's what it is. O.
Speaker 5: Mother, Yeah, I see so, mother. As far as it progressing or progressing.
Speaker 3: Just.
Speaker 5: Do you feel some sort of way about I do? Or are you indifferent? Now? Like okay, well no, it's not my turn turn anymore.
Speaker 3: Oh I don't care about it be in my turn, But I still want to hear dope music though.
Speaker 7: All right, what's the last dope new thing you heard?
Speaker 3: And you was like, all right, fucking Kendrick Lamar, love Me, Love Me, Like, yeah, Like that's dope to me, man.
Speaker 7: What did you think about that? The soundtrack? Just not just to you know, I'm just curious soundtrack have you heard that? Since you said Kendrin Lamar, you know, it's kind of revolutionary in nature in a way. I mean for what he's saying and it being such a Marvel film, and you know, some people would feel like that.
Speaker 5: I'm proud of that that film too.
Speaker 3: By the way, I like the Black Panther film and I like the performance of it too. Back on on the do I feel like fucked up?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 3: I mean I wish that everybody had their own identity, bro, you know, I wish that people would just if if see his it went like this, If quest Love did your ship, then you knew his production. If Dray did your shit, you knew his production because they didn't sound alike. If Timberland digit shit, you knew you know, timbling, Oh man, that's timbling right there.
Speaker 5: You know what it was?
Speaker 7: Rock wild? Did you know y'all?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And now it's like if Premiere digit shit, you know you know right now everything's so not like God Damn that gotta be so and so, so and so.
Speaker 5: No that so and so.
Speaker 3: Boys, shit, that sounded like so and so so because everybody sound like yeah, you know, and and it focks me up because it's no the beat's reality in music no more. Ain't nobody got there. They just fucked you know. Get you some strings, bro, But at the same time, get you an identity, man, because that ship you're doing is gonna last all of three or four years at best. All right, speak the truth. I do speak the truth. You have records that you heard two years ago that are irrelevant now and the artist is like, ship.
Speaker 7: Were going right, right, all said designer. I thought about it was.
Speaker 5: Funny the beast was pumping. Ain't that something?
Speaker 3: What ll say with that?
Speaker 5: See what it was over.
Speaker 7: Or on?
Speaker 5: Cheesy? No, No, what's something? He said the beasts? Ain't that something? Anyway?
Speaker 3: That ship is you know, I want to I want to have a career, man, and I want I want to build careers man. So one thing I was going to ask you, what is the what is the process of you putting your albums together? Because I'll go on record as saying you are the most consistent rapper in terms of your albums, like you are the most consistent album making cat like ever, like all your records.
Speaker 5: And I mean straight up like all your records. It's I mean, it's a ride.
Speaker 3: You just put it on. You ain't about skipping nothing. Yeah, I try to do that. That's intentional. Okay, So what's that that's intentional?
Speaker 5: Cue? So what's that process? I don't decide what makes it?
Speaker 3: What doesn't that feel?
Speaker 5: Man? That vibe? You know? I mean, do you work on twenty five songs and then say like here's my.
Speaker 3: Final Every every every every every punches is calculated to kill. Every bullet is a shot, it's gonna it's there to do damage. So if I'm gonna start on the record and I'm gonna finish that record, the I can spend a week on the record. I have a question about your just your your your style of m seeing. I'll say that you're probably also one of them. I mean not to say that most of the figures in hip hop are caricatures, but but curricatures a curricature.
Speaker 5: Who was right?
Speaker 3: But I will say that you, I mean on surface, you'll you know again someone that that's not baptized and hip hop will just take agander and just say like whatever, they're just spinning gangster ship. But you know, you a lot of your approach to your your your your song structure and your lyrics deal with like you having a conscience, you you uh expressing regret, you really having three dimensional thoughts of these things. And it's it's almost like therapeutic. I know that you've gone on public record about dealing with depression and and and that in your life. How and especially I guess with the black people, we never we were never too vulnerability. Yeah, like we were always guarded about the idea of therapy or or that sort of thing, and and and dealing with depression. But you're going to can you speak on how like is writing? Are writing these songs your way of doing that when you're.
Speaker 5: Because you've been mad vulnerable on your stuff. So it's it's.
Speaker 3: You know, we're praising Jay Z right now for for four like at the end of his career, but you were always want that. I want to give a shout out to my teacher that taught me how to write, you know, Ms McClusky. She taught me how to write, and she she always said that your story had to have Uh.
Speaker 5: The beginning.
Speaker 3: Uh was it a climax?
Speaker 5: You know the topic?
Speaker 3: It was a piece of statement, She'll kill me if I didn't know this ship. It was.
Speaker 5: She listened, She's dead Like he didn't either rich or she did?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I was like in the third or fourth grade. But it had to have a a beginning, a body of climax, and an ending. So that's how I wanted to always address, you know, a step to my right, And that's how I wanted to do my right.
Speaker 5: And I always wanted to write about something.
Speaker 3: I always wanted you to feel that shit and oh my god, and then I always wanted to end it right. But most of them sees like Biggie himself will say that a lot of his narrative was based on what his friend said. Okay, well it didn't happen to me, but I'm gonna tell a story about you know what, what my friends talk about.
Speaker 5: And I put in the story for him. But you're like, I believes that all of your narrative was I was there in that motherfucking room. Huh yeah, but what is it true?
Speaker 7: Is that true? I? And maybe because sometimes you you have to look at it like art.
Speaker 5: So I just figured, don't recall. Yeah, you can't claim all the stuff that he's Let's just say that I have witnessed a lot of ship in my time of dying. How do you process that without getting numb?
Speaker 3: Because that's it's not normal to see, like, it's not normal to see that much tragedy occur. I'm numb to the point until I only feel fucked up when something bad happens to kids now, I mean like babies and ship, Like when when old people dying ship, I don't even give a fuck no more. If old people died, then they made it like I'm talking about over fucking you mean, yeah, oh.
Speaker 5: I'm just I'm just playing. I'm not serious. I'm not serious.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, black, if you're old as fuck man and you're a mean bastard, then fuck you goodbye.
Speaker 5: I can't wait for you to die.
Speaker 3: You why are you looking at me?
Speaker 4: I mean I feel the same way as somebody you were looking at me like I'm mad.
Speaker 3: Well, you've always been very open about your struggle with like depression and like bipolar disorder. How do you cope with that?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 3: Shit, I know how to get in the box, I know how to get out the way. Man, go in my room, you know, go to my I can stay in the house for weeks.
Speaker 5: Man, you stay.
Speaker 7: Do you think we're in a new era with mental health? We can really have these conversations because I feel like now like we weren't having these like ten to fifteen years ago, we weren't talking about bipolar. It was crazy Uncle did so, we weren't really dominating.
Speaker 5: And they gave that shit a name, and they gave it some dope.
Speaker 7: Too different, all kinds of guess sir, to.
Speaker 5: Prescribe you some drugs.
Speaker 7: Fucking it's true, but it is something to it. Correct.
Speaker 5: There's nothing to it.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 3: Either you want to fucking die or you don't like you know what I mean? You're fucking happier, you're sad?
Speaker 5: Bro. Have you gone to therapy? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I did two years in the fucking hospital when I was a kid. You know, just back and forth. You get to the level four and then they let you out and then you back down at the fucking uh pre pre level one or some ship you know that ain't ship. Can't nobody make you feel don't feel know they had uh I had meloyal and lithium.
Speaker 7: See, I know something about giving young kids back in the days lithium.
Speaker 3: And but but the thing is anything for me to write you a prescription. Man, I'm down all this motherfucker's crazy. Let's give him some dope. And I don't think that's the best I don't think that's the best uh antidote for that. I don't think that's the best fix, you know what I mean? Like, I think that a good ass ass whooping will straightened all of that ship.
Speaker 5: I expected.
Speaker 7: I thought you was going to say, like a lifestyle change, like you got a.
Speaker 5: Kid that time out, man.
Speaker 3: And if your kid is is like, uh, your kid has artistm then I understand, but don't let them dope them up.
Speaker 5: But and if your kid is like like my uncle.
Speaker 3: I got an uncle, right, and they don't give him no medicine and he's the coolest fuck laughing.
Speaker 7: Don't look over here.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, I don't laugh you man.
Speaker 5: That fucking makes me mad.
Speaker 3: Bro, I don't want to make you bad.
Speaker 7: But when you said I was trying to understand what you said when you got the BB.
Speaker 3: But you just need a fucking ass whipping man, Like if you're fucking sucking up in school, man.
Speaker 5: Kicked that kid in his ass. They took corporal punishment out of school, so you fucked your kids up.
Speaker 7: Now, see, we just had this whole conversation where Bazzario Dawson about beating your kids and seeing.
Speaker 3: That his mother fucking ass. Listen, look at me, look at me, do it. I got my ass beat.
Speaker 5: Kid.
Speaker 7: No, don't do that.
Speaker 3: You look at the average sixteen year old now, and he's way worse than I ever will. Yeah, I was bad as fuck, but I never told my mom to fuck off.
Speaker 7: How about that?
Speaker 5: I never I never fought my dad.
Speaker 7: How about that?
Speaker 5: Calm down.
Speaker 3: I never crush my grandma out, Like, definitely, connect man, you got to take that fucking board.
Speaker 7: But I also been communication opinions.
Speaker 5: Now, okay, I'm the guy. Why you why do you give me the side out before I give the opinion?
Speaker 7: Like because you got beatens? But go ahead, I know you got the whooping.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we all got.
Speaker 5: I was ready would be a great guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but there's also a downside to that as well, you know, don side to getting your ass whooped.
Speaker 5: I mean, I did the right thing, but I also had a very strange relationship with my dad. You know, so he was trying to take something out on you. You should let your mama whoop your.
Speaker 3: Like back then, like back then in the seventies and the eighties when we were growing up. You grew up in the seventies, Yes, seventies, al right, cool, So back then it was like our dad had like some real pressure that was undermand If it wasn't, it was like Bill's mama tripping.
Speaker 5: I'm a be this nigga asked me. That's how you're right, beat your motherfucking ass.
Speaker 3: As soon as I get home and hang up, you can't beep him call him back because he ain't got no self.
Speaker 5: It's like some different ship, like you gotta.
Speaker 3: Wait on the right and you don't even know that gonna come. You hear the door closing, ship and they talking and in the room and ship.
Speaker 5: Go to sleep.
Speaker 3: You're like, pretty god, you're get in the bathtub and ship as soon as you walking out that bath to hit his motherfucker come wow, right, you're laughing. But that that was basically like, I know, put that ass whopping and listen, man, the ass whooping.
Speaker 5: Help man.
Speaker 3: And now that I'm older and I realize how important those ass whoopings were I'm cool with it, and I know that. Can't nobody make me feel how I don't. If I'm not happy, then fucking I'm not happy. Who the mean ship? Get out my fucking room. Mom not knows words, but I don't want to.
Speaker 5: I don't. I don't. So no more drug prescriptions for no more lithium at the age except.
Speaker 2: And this episode of Quest Love Supreme is brought to you by ass Whoopings.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we've got a couple of episodes.
Speaker 3: We had a couple of.
Speaker 5: Anyway, get there. You got half a jam, that's all fun take man?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yo, all right, so I got some like rap nerd rap up questions. Yes, what happened to too Low, funky little nigga?
Speaker 5: The fucking system got him?
Speaker 3: Oh really?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think that he would introduced to a to a lot of grown people ship at such an early age. Until the ship that he thought that he could get away with, he wasn't smart enough to, you know, get away with You know, we were smart enough to get away with that shit because we were grown.
Speaker 5: But you can't be fucking.
Speaker 3: Fourteen years old and smoking, eating, uh, stealing police cars and go to jail like shit. Okay, to too Much Trouble. It's a lot of twos. That's a lot of twos. I think one of the brothers in Too Much Trouble passed. I don't know what Drunk is doing right now.
Speaker 5: I do know that.
Speaker 3: Uh, what's the little dude's name? Yeah, he's a maintenance man now, but he was a maintenance man choice.
Speaker 5: I don't know. I haven't seen her in a long ass time. I mean.
Speaker 3: We didn't. We spoke on it briefly. How did you get in touch or how did you bring Devin the dude? What was y'all's history, Like Devin dude in the Odd Squad? So Devin So the Ods Squad had an album on Rap a Lot, Fat Enough Everybody, Fat Enough Everybody, and that was the best fucking album I had ever heard, and I don't think that it did what they wanted it to do.
Speaker 5: So the Odd Squad was kind of on the back burner.
Speaker 3: I took Devin out of the Odd Squad and put him in Face Mob, remember the group I had, Face Mob. I produced an album on Face Mob and then that did great, and we doubled back and I wanted to do a solo album on Devin. I did Devon's first sold alb you know that you did. Yeah, I did not know that.
Speaker 5: I did that album and it was it was Devon and the name of the album was.
Speaker 3: But they started. Yeah, y'all, I fucking pioneered that whole picture in the bathroom booble and and all that shit we did. We even did a commercial, bro. If you get a chance to look up the fucking commercial.
Speaker 5: It is the.
Speaker 3: Funniest ship in the world of him in the bathroom. Yes, Lord is Ellie Jackson. Yeah, it's an actual video of him getting out of the truck and it's just funny as hell.
Speaker 5: That was dope, man.
Speaker 3: We we we sat down and we did an album on Devin the Dude, and the rest was history. He's the funniest kid I know.
Speaker 7: Like, he's funny as Funds.
Speaker 5: Still is great man, and he smokes so much weed.
Speaker 7: That's awesome. And he's still productive. I I herald people like that.
Speaker 5: Look at Steve picture of productivity of it.
Speaker 3: For sure. I like him. I had a question about Lord j. He speaks on it. It's on the intro of I think it's Emeritus the Mayor's album. He speaks on the Little Troy situation. What exactly is that?
Speaker 5: I don't know, man.
Speaker 3: You know, me and Troy record sound our differences? Man, Okay, he said some things about me that weren't true, and you know he had to fix that. So you know, me and Troy cool? Y'all good?
Speaker 5: Now? Yeah? We all right?
Speaker 3: Okay, word up.
Speaker 5: I don't I don't know what him and Jay's relationship is with me and Troy? All right? Okay, yop.
Speaker 7: What's it required in the twenty eighteen to get a scarface feature?
Speaker 5: I don't feel like it really. The last record I heard joint, well, the up front.
Speaker 3: In terms of newcasts, you on the Freddy Gibbs record, the uh Freddy Gibson mad Lip Joint.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was on that one.
Speaker 7: Yeah, cal you did a cal And record?
Speaker 5: Right, yeah, but now I'm tired, man.
Speaker 7: So whoever got that got in this is a wrap?
Speaker 5: Yeah? And then uh fucking thought, wait hold on, he said. He said a lot of people retired that day. Man, wait, wait all right.
Speaker 3: So to told me when I told him I was coming down, he said, ask no, sir, what happened in the studio? He said, you walked away like left, he said, and quote he said, Brad come on.
Speaker 5: He grabbed his sons, like get out of here. Like he just walked out the studio.
Speaker 3: I heard his new ship.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, oh my god, which one to join us?
Speaker 3: All of the streams of thought, Oh my god. I'm purposely not letting people know what's happened with the roots. But a lot of things, a lot of things are about to happen in twenty eighteen. Boy, But whatever he heard just made him walk out.
Speaker 7: But you was supposed to bless it. He supposed blessing, but supposed blessed.
Speaker 5: He was just what he does. One of you're one of his heroes. He's my hero, but you're his hero. Like, no, no, he's my hero.
Speaker 3: Okay, we'll just sit here all day and say you're cool with that, But I'm not going to go in there fucking with that, going there fucking with him. And I'm telling you, I'm warning every rapper no, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 5: No, because the thing is is that what isolated, this is what isolated his first twenty years. We're trying to we're trying to.
Speaker 3: I'm probably the only one that kind of like was scared of that ten minute freestyle because I was like, no, man, because then everybody going there, like, wasn't I wouldn't give them they were doing that? Was that was their excuse, like that man said, because like because Jay kind of said.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he's scary, you're scared.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's one thing.
Speaker 3: It's one thing, like the whole I mean, first of all, na Is ruined everything with that, so that that line alone made people paranoid about getting killed on their own ship. And it's like the only time you're really going to stand next to someone is if they can do something for you, as far as help you raise your profile, if you get if you get like out run by somebody that has nobody or nobody, don't really do nothing for you. But and even though he's every rapper's favorite rappers, technically like he's in every man nobody category.
Speaker 5: And it's like I can't afford to take an L from someone that.
Speaker 7: I'm more famous, more famous than right.
Speaker 5: It ain't even about the L with me. It's like, no, but he wants he wants to play and reindeer games.
Speaker 3: And it's like a lot of the times cats will just say, like, I mean, the reason why it's a big.
Speaker 5: I don't feel like here's the thing, you know, how you got it.
Speaker 3: The motherfucker's the champ and then you got the number one contender and the tamp don't want to fight him.
Speaker 5: That's what to reach.
Speaker 3: That's what he faced with right now because the motherfucker that's on top, whoever he is, whoever he may be.
Speaker 7: Want to get a ring, want to king the situation.
Speaker 3: What that boy said about that bulling side, the China China bulling China shop.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so it's I want I want to be I want him to play rain there game.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's gonna happen, and it's not on him, it's on I'm.
Speaker 5: Gonna do a record with him. Oh god, I'm gonna do a record with him. Yeah, for sure. He I want that, I want definitely all right.
Speaker 7: Oh damn, I should have take that send so.
Speaker 5: He can make sure we're taping an episode right now. Yeah, I'm definitely.
Speaker 3: He's so fucking dope man, until you know, well, he appreciates that because you're definitely one of his his rhyming heroes. He's one of he is my rhyming hero. Is it true that you and Sleepy Brown? At one point we're gonna do a blues record.
Speaker 5: Damn, wow ship. I don't know, but does I like to How did you hear about that room?
Speaker 3: It was if I read it somewhere. I can't remember, but I remember. I think maybe it was an interview. I think maybe it was a sleepy interview something. But he bentioned something about you and him. You know who sleepy daddy is? Oh yeah, Jimmy Brown from Brick from Brick right, yeah, yeah, dope right, his daddy's so dope. Man, Like, so Brick was my he wrote like like three is my hero and I met them on the Time Joined the Cruise.
Speaker 5: Man, and.
Speaker 7: Damn, I'm sorry, I'm black.
Speaker 5: If you see it was.
Speaker 3: Hey be ill Yeah, okay, wait man, that you're gonna enjoy that ship, bro, you should. So Brick was on the tom Joining the Cruise Show, not the Tom Join the Cruise Show.
Speaker 5: The Cruise Fantastic Boys. He was one of the fantastic voices.
Speaker 3: Man. If I tell you that they jam like a month, I gotta see it. No, it's like I have a day job, Like I can't go on cruises the time. Joining the Cruise is a party that lasts from six in the morning to six in the morning to six in the morning to six in the morning for seven fucking days for.
Speaker 7: All the white people. Time join is very popular. Black radio personality was very rich and been doing radio for about thirty years. And does this cruise and all the black people know about it.
Speaker 3: And when.
Speaker 5: I do.
Speaker 3: Sh when when you get off that cruise is when your vacation starts. Because she fucking whipped it's crazy.
Speaker 5: Du well you know that.
Speaker 3: Who are you? Who? Do you have any like buddies that you golf with? Now I read that you're into like golfing pretty heavy, man.
Speaker 5: I played.
Speaker 3: I used to play golf a lot with a famous NBA player man that is no longer with us with us man, and uh much love to Moses Malone. Moses Malone was a bad motherfucker. He couldn't golf work the ship, but he was.
Speaker 5: I played with.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 3: You know, Johnny Gill got a hell of a golf game, man, fucking black sheep, uh.
Speaker 5: Mean ass golf game. Arian Foster got a decent golf game. Ship.
Speaker 3: I know I'm playing so dope sache the entertainer garbage, all the clothes, none of the game. Joe Tory trash can.
Speaker 5: Nah.
Speaker 3: These them my partners man, they got a pretty decent game. Who else do I play golf with?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I played golf with a lot of old men. Oh you know who you know who can play the funk out of some golf Clyde Drexler bro.
Speaker 5: I can believe that. Yeah, yeah, don't funk with Clyde.
Speaker 3: If you see Clyde on the golf course, don't even don't even ask that mother fucking for a picture.
Speaker 5: Just walk the other way.
Speaker 7: You drink what you do when you go. You got like a whole because I know some people like serious. You just you don't even have a cocktail.
Speaker 5: You know, I want to bet gambling. Don't fuck with me. Don't talk. If you're gonna talk and play music, get in your own card. Don't funk with me.
Speaker 7: I want to go golfing.
Speaker 3: What the gulls want to ask you about your relationship with you? GK You did the Candy record on the album Dude, I love that song.
Speaker 5: I did that record?
Speaker 3: Is that you playing guitar on that boom boom boom boom boom boom boom that's actually a keyboard what boom boom boom boom and play that ship?
Speaker 5: Wow?
Speaker 3: Oh and that's that's that sample is from the Newness Is Gone Eddie Eddie Hendrick. Yeah, I didn't know that it was as samble, but you see how fucking manipulated flick flipped.
Speaker 5: It and mansked and made it dope.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love that record. Man, have you? Are you and Bunny y'all still like whatever?
Speaker 5: Y'allo?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're not working right now. He's been calling me about doing a record. But like I said, I'm retired, man, I am read No, I was retired from rapple out after emeritis.
Speaker 5: Okay, Okay, Michael makes sense.
Speaker 3: Okay, that was the wink.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to translate to our radio audience. There was a wink in there somewhere. It's like to retire and and and still hold the position like it's scar facy mirror, just like how would How was j Prince when you did the one record when you did.
Speaker 3: To Fix on Death Jam? How did he take that?
Speaker 5: How did that happened? I wasn't signed a rapper up, oh so I was. I was free to go.
Speaker 3: And what made you come back?
Speaker 5: Business decision? No I did.
Speaker 3: I did an album and that album was successful, and then I did another one and that album was successful too, So.
Speaker 5: That was that. Now I'm enjoying my independence. I love being I love being a partner with myself.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna have what was what was the How serious was the def Jam South and you being the president of the label?
Speaker 5: Like, how serious was it?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 5: Every time I saw you were in business mode, So I I had I had a hell of a staff man. I didn't even have to do ship.
Speaker 3: But uh, but mastermind, like, the best way to spend this money, you know, the best way to roll some ship out, the best way to.
Speaker 5: What was it? To not spend a lot of money doing ship? So you signed luted to Depth Jam?
Speaker 3: Correct? I did?
Speaker 5: What was it about him that you saw that? Hands? Hands off? He did it.
Speaker 3: He was already there, and that was a great way to springboard what I was trying to do. You know, he was already I think he was thirty forty thousand records already.
Speaker 5: The first was it one hundred? Yeah?
Speaker 3: The Rabbit Nah? That was well, yeah, that was the first, but the first album it was incog negro And that's why he called the Depth Jam back for the first time. Yeah, I was shooting the World War two, a World War three video with Swiss and yeah, and we was way out somewhere. I don't know, we were in Long Island or something. We was way out, way out, and Shaka was saying, yeah, we get ready to go to meet with this label so and so so on, and so I can't say, man, but I was like, man, before you sign, man, please come see me bro. And we talked and I relayed, you know, and conveyed to the powers that beat it, that's what I wanted to do first, and they made that happen. So the rest from there is history. So Ludi is a star.
Speaker 7: Was he kind of like the perfect artist since he came from radio and he'd already had the other record, Like you.
Speaker 5: Gotta be a strategist to think like this, but somebody was on the same page, you know. Yeah, but I love Luda man.
Speaker 3: He did his thing, and you know, it put me in a different light in people's eyes, Like I'm not only can I rap or make beats and ship, but I'm I'm a masterfucking planner too.
Speaker 5: I got a bucket list, wrap up questions, but.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to think I got oh rap at question, big mic, Where's what's still him?
Speaker 5: I haven't seen Mike Man.
Speaker 3: Uh. He was probably the dopest rapper on rap a Out in my opinion, or yeah, I think he was put him over you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think he was dope man. Did you his first Yeah?
Speaker 3: Something serious?
Speaker 5: I had that record? But you know who was singing fly holes and Pimp? Yeah? You know who song?
Speaker 3: Looked me in my eyes? Look on my song? Looked me in my eyes?
Speaker 5: Who was Pimp?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 5: Okay? Yeah? Man, Pim was called the spot. He really was big. Mic was dope man to me. Yeah, he had a voice. So when he came into Ghetto Boys for the I think it was the Death was it to Death?
Speaker 3: To his part album? Was y'all? Y'all still cool at that point? Like did you welcome him in? Like being on that record? Is another stranger in the group, right, Yeah, he's another stranger in the group. Man. Actually we were friends. He was in the Convicts first and you know three two three two it's dead.
Speaker 5: When did he pass?
Speaker 3: I won't say about a year ago. Man shot him in the back of the head ship. Yeah, his friend. He was walking out of the damn store and dude knocked my part in the head off. Man.
Speaker 5: Man. I then revel jenj Man.
Speaker 3: I'm talking on a long ass time. I think you might be shooting movies or something though, Okay, speaking.
Speaker 5: Of which you're good. Yeah, can we get Judge. It's like a double gun jump in a b ill. Feel free to jump in, Okay, just like random names like my mother. Yeah, I did a record with her back in n Okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So, Mike Judge, how did that relationship Mike Judge the Ghetto Boys fan believe it or.
Speaker 5: Not, I believe it or not. It was the first yeah, all through offic space, huge Ghetto Boys fan man.
Speaker 3: So we kind of met and hung out and I got a partner of the Theocracyocracy as upgrade two days, double dose in my Pamper. That's a funny, dude. Did you ever think that that film would be so relevant right now? It was made ten years old, right, yeah, for him, like making Bamboozo for me? No, yeah, like making Bamboozo back then, I was like, Spike's a little crazy. But now it's like Mike was right.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Have any of you have anyview, seen or heard of Idiocracy? It was right here? How can you not know about?
Speaker 3: Idiot takes place in the not so distant future and it's about now a wrestler becomes president.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm close enough. Yeah, it's sort of the same thing.
Speaker 3: Okay, So before we wrap the wrestler, before we wrap up, I just want to know, Uh, you've made so many appearances on everyone's what is your?
Speaker 5: What is your? In your opinion? Your your your top three?
Speaker 3: Cameos, well not cameos, even performance, but just good experiences of making records.
Speaker 5: Was it Park?
Speaker 3: Was it?
Speaker 5: Yeah? That was That was a bump.
Speaker 3: That was a fucking blast because you know, if you know too well, did you make Smile wild?
Speaker 5: All right? So he was.
Speaker 3: He was a damn fool in any setting, you know, don't give a fuck. He was at a funeral on wedding. Well, he was a damn nut. So we got a chance to record Smile in l A at Larby, I believe.
Speaker 5: So you went out there.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 3: I was in l A recording the Untouchable album, okay, and he came in a hummer. I was living at the oak Wood in Burbank. Anybody from California you know what that is, Barham?
Speaker 5: Yeah, So.
Speaker 3: I heard we were and then this is the first time, like I said, we were smoking that ship and I heard somebody on the loudspeaker say, Brad.
Speaker 5: Jordan, we know you're in there. Come out with your hands up.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh shit, I'm high. Motherfucking blew my high. Like shit, my cousin we sitting in the house scared and shitting my cousin. Pete got me and say, man, that's pot we get dressed. Go downstairs, man, get my manager and ship and Pop was like, yeah, let's go to the studio make a song. I'm like, I'm cool with that. Say come on, get in. I'm like, now, sir, no, no, I'm not gonna ride nowhere with Tupac record.
Speaker 5: Ever. For one, he didn't have a driver's license. For two, I knew for a fact that.
Speaker 3: He couldn't drive all right. So we followed him in the In the van he had a black Hummer. Let me tricked out her old school hummer, the old hum bees, and this is him.
Speaker 5: He's driving. Oh god. And if I'm not mistaken, he was by himself too, I think.
Speaker 3: So we went in there. Man, they laid it out. They had the all the he went and got all soul food and Henderson and shit. And now he I mean he really laid that shit out nice man, and we did the song, the Smile song. I laid a verse on and I left h and a couple of days later he came to the studio to play me the Macavelly record, and then after I listened to it, I was like, wow, this is great. And he was like, come on, man, let's go and hit the Hollywood. They had what was that shit called the Hollywood something that I can't remember, but it was like a club. And I was like, man, I gotta finish, man, I gotta find a single park I can't.
Speaker 5: Man. Man, that man got mad. That's fucking me.
Speaker 3: He said, Man, you be sitting in here all motherfucking day long, man, trying to find a single.
Speaker 5: Man Like, that's stupid. Man, you're wasting your fucking time. Man.
Speaker 3: Just just just write a record, man, and and and get across to the bitches without offending them. Yeah.
Speaker 5: But he was right though. And the last word that you say, that's gonna be the name of the song. But that's how came to be.
Speaker 3: Well that's what. Yeah, that's how that's how I came to be. Because I don't spend a whole lot of time in the studio no more. I spend a whole lot of time, you know, making the album better, making the song better.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: I don't waste my time trying to write a single no more, because I know that that ship is not gonna play no way. I'm just gonna jam. I think my ride coming all right, so can you give us a second one? Like what was Tupac was wanting? Okay, I think that this song that I did with I think that the guess whose back song was big for me too. I let me tell you why. Because I called Jay and I asked him to do a record with me, and they said, meet me at Baseline line.
Speaker 5: Come on. So we're playing the music that you know.
Speaker 3: Guru was playing tracks and jay Z he sat back in the corner and he listened to it, and so the next one and then the bak I said, and he be looking at you like, oh, like I better kill you. And then he went to the studio and he went in bocalboo and he took the ship right and he left. Let me stuck at the board. I'm sitting at the boy trying to write this ship and ended up getting it done and Kanye got on the record. But that was a Kanye beat believing it or not to guess who was back? That was Kanye. Kanye did the mast majority of the Fixed album too. If anybody reads credit, that was Kanye West.
Speaker 7: On that he did This can't be life too rate, because I was like that, this can't be life.
Speaker 5: He did that record too.
Speaker 7: Was that in real time? Your verse? In real time?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was walking and I was getting out of the car service and that shit happened, like, yeah, it's it's my buddy. Son got a hold to some hairin that his grandfather had in the car, and I don't know if he drunk it or.
Speaker 5: Swallowed in some kind of way, but that shit fucked me up pretty bad.
Speaker 3: And I said, I remember saying counting our blessings because Brad's too well, Brad, it's twenty now, damn Yeah, I know that shit flew, didn't it eighteen?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Brad just turned twenty on the fifth, so yeah, damn deep right. And the third one, man, I can't really remember a great time in the studio. I don't know. I think I saw I was.
Speaker 3: I went to the studio with Chris Brown and Dave Chappelle, and most death was in that motherfucker Wow.
Speaker 5: Wait, that's the.
Speaker 3: That's the oddest I ever heard. Yeah, and that was before the Chapelle Show too.
Speaker 7: What'd you doing the record?
Speaker 5: I don't know what the fuck I was doing.
Speaker 3: Were you and Cuban the studio together when y'all did the Hand of the Dead Body record?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 5: Maybe?
Speaker 3: But I know that Cube has to leave the studio, like he'll take the beat with him, okay, and come back to the next day and lay it. Okay, gotcha. I don't think he was a spontaneous writer at that time. I did a lot of records, but I was cue. That's one of my phase. Man, I love Yeah, that's my That's one of my phase.
Speaker 5: Man. I love cute.
Speaker 3: All right, I got one more, let's go ahead. Who came up with the concept for the video of My Block? My Block?
Speaker 5: I don't even remember the guy's name, but I did want a seamless video. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I just wanted to go from one end of the street to the I wanted to show the whole entire street. I didn't want no cuts in the video. I just wanted to Was there any trick used it? And I used to watch It's no cuts? It was a railroad track and different scenes were set up. How many takes did it?
Speaker 5: Say? No, we did that ship all day.
Speaker 3: We went backwards and then forward, backward and then forward. Wow. That's one of my favorite videos.
Speaker 5: Man. Yeah. I think we shot that ship for like two days.
Speaker 3: Because we shot like the early part of it one day, and then we shot again the next day, and then we finished it that night.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, So we got everything out the way I think we got it.
Speaker 3: I got more wrapped, like we we're good. I just want to say, man, just thank you for everything you've done. Just want to give you your flowers.
Speaker 7: Yeah, thank you, thank you for your honesty.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm really honest. I can't help it.
Speaker 3: Oh I did think so psp. Okay, So I told really decent years ago, and you can confirm the story if you were there. He said that at the intro of we can't be stopped where they where. It's like first we beat on the door, then we kicked them up again where the door gets kicked down. He said they actually kicked the door down in the studio to make that sound effect. I don't remember that, okay, all right, but I wasn't never in the studio with him though, So y'all did sometimes. Okay, Yeah, we had verses. I remember now if you listened to my uh the part on murder my reasons of insanity, Okay, when it goes up, that was a real.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I was about to see y'all guns effects were like.
Speaker 3: Real because we went out to the ranch and shotguns and put them on Listen, man, we went out to the ranch and shotguns and put them on debts.
Speaker 5: Yes, ship, Yeah, I was gonna say that the sound of.
Speaker 3: Your guns were real. Yeah, they were a little too real. They were probably a little too real. Bro, Seriously, I'm good man. Anything Steve, anything, just play it one more time, just my well, No, I don't give him that ship.
Speaker 5: I would't give him anything. It's the only way to close the show. I would.
Speaker 3: I would end that ship like this right now and be done. I wouldn't give him anything. I told you I was mean as fuck.
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, your your recollection.
Speaker 2: I just want to ask you about your actual not what you're listening to. But you're like collect his records, still on your uncle's records or anything. You have a large record collection. That's my question. Seems he seems friendly.
Speaker 3: Have I have some ship I got you know what I do have that's like a great album to have. I have the Marvin Gaye. Hear my dear double album. I have that I can remember for sure. I got Pink Floyd Dogs out of the Moonship. I got Kissed double platinum, he scribbing that one.
Speaker 7: Look at these Vinyl snobs, you are not impressing him.
Speaker 4: They're like, yeah, well it sounds like he only has three records.
Speaker 5: Largers' hoping. But but you know what it's like, man, what are you? What are your five question?
Speaker 3: No? Because he seemed like a guy that top not even not even does an island. Because I feel like you need music to meditate in the calm you down sometimes and to zone out. So what do you What are the five records that you choose? What are your go to when you're driving in the car, Like you gotta hear this record? Uh? I like wrapped around your fingers a boy, the Police. I mean I like the synchronic of the album a lot. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I like the Marvin Gaye.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 7: Yes, you're going to your Pandora.
Speaker 3: I gotta go, Yeah, going to my ship. You know, Peter Peter Gabriel had a bomb ass and you know I go to that the sole album. But I think that like when when I really want to really ride and meditate, I turn on like Bob Marley's uh, I turned.
Speaker 5: On his whole ship, you know, from uh.
Speaker 3: Naturalistic to uh some man vibration of uh Peter Tosh, I meant something on I am?
Speaker 5: I am, I am, I have this sign up, mose ass. You can not move by tall like he was? Awesome?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 5: Can I meant something on my sholf? Was that yo?
Speaker 3: As much as the music SNIW, but I am about these hundred thousand records. My Marley i Q is like devastatingly low.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 3: Well you two, Yeah, I know legend. That's like the only one I know. Yes, I know legend, but that's about.
Speaker 5: Your eighties college student or nineties college student.
Speaker 3: Like that's the record. Yeah, no, all right, we're the last two. So synchronicity maybe so uh Mary mar Oh, then what's your last one? Hey man, midnight? All right, I'm mess with you. All right, So ladies and gentlemen, please give it up for the one and only scar faced man. This is amazing. Thank you to the fine folks at south By Southwest. Yeah, thank you, Yeah, thank you, Gatsby. I've been up there before. That's cool as hell up the top there.
Speaker 5: We're all gonna get tattoos afterwards and walking again.
Speaker 3: I think that, I think that, I think that fucking cleansing pill is kicked in playing playing, playing, or we have of unpaid Bill Fonticolo. It's like he is Sugar Steve and the one only scar face. This is quest Love signing off. We will see you on the Mexican.
Speaker 5: Thank God West.
Speaker 1: Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio. This classic episode was produced by the team at Pandora.
Speaker 5: For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.