Speaker 1: Hey, that folks, Thursday, March fifth, and the news just keeps oncoming. Christinome is out. Welcome to this breaking news episode of Amy and TJ. Just wanted to hop on because the news is just coming across. The Secretary of Home Land Security, Christinome, who is maybe robes outside the President, might have been the most high profile faiths of the administration in many days and weeks. She's been fired. No other way to put this, is it.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean she's been demoted. I think maybe would be a better way to put it. But she, Yes, she has been fired from the position. She has been removed from the position of the Department of Homeland Security, the secretary of DHS. She's now being given a position that is well Son's made up to be honest, but it is kind of in a way because it is a position that has not existed before.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and Christy Nome, we should let you know this news is coming to us just a matter of minutes before we hopped on here. But she still is keeping a commitment she had in Nashville, Tennessee. She had a live event and we can actually see a live feed of her taking questions. This is a law enforcement event. So she is continuing in the role, but it is going to be over by the end of this month. Christy Nome is the headline, folks. A Department of Homeland Security Secretary Christie Nome is out. The President is replacing her, putting her somewhere else. We do know. This is from the President himself. We put out a pretty long post explaining he's removing her and also telling us he already has a replacement.
Speaker 2: Yes, he is going to replace Christy Nome with Senator Oklahoma Senator Mark Wayne Mullen. He is going to become the Department of Homeland Security, but he does have to be confirmed by the Senate, so there is that hurdle that will still have to take place for he is officially named DHS secretary.
Speaker 1: Who knows about that. He's going to be going before his colleagues, his fellow colleagues. You can see if he can get it across the finish line with the votes. I kept trying to think of what the votes and when this would happen, and the hearings we have to have now and going through all of this so that process is to come. But Rove, this is there a member of the administration who had been under more fire than Secretary Nome. That has to be no, certainly not.
Speaker 2: And in recent days even the President had whispered, and there were whispers and rumors and articles being written that Christy Nome possibly might be replaced because the President the final straw for him was he did not appreciate her testimony in front of that committee where she was grilled about this expensive ad campaign that we all saw in.
Speaker 3: Airports across this country.
Speaker 2: And she told Senator Kennedy, I believe that President Trump okayed it. Well, apparently President Trump said yeah, I did not okay, And so for a lot of folks they felt like he was.
Speaker 3: Pissed en off.
Speaker 2: Now, given all the events in Minnesota and certainly a lot of the headlines that have been going around for weeks, this was the final straw.
Speaker 1: And this is what the President said in a post on truth social announcing to everyone that yes, she was being replaced. Quote, I am pleased to announce the highly respected United States Senator from the great state of Oklahoma, Mark Wayne Mullen, will become the United States Secretary of Homeland Security THEHS, effective March thirty first, twenty twenty six. The current Secretary, Christy Nome, who has served us well and has had numerous and spectacular results, especially on the border, will be moving to Special Envoy for the Shield of the Americas, our new security initiative in the Western Hemisphere. We are announcing on Saturday in durral Florida. I thank Christy for her service at Homeland. Now. He has another longer paragraph after that, but just talking about the new guy. It was interesting at the top ropes. He didn't announce the first thing out of his mouth was the announcement of a new person versus saying I'm doing something with the other person. She seemed almost like an afterthought in the message one.
Speaker 2: Hundred percent, and you have to think that was by design. He just wants her to go away. He doesn't want to hear her name, He doesn't want to hear the complaints and the uproar about how she led the Department of Homeland Security. So I think, yeah, he was like out with the old, in with the new, let's start with the new. He was producing it like, let's get the big announcement here.
Speaker 3: That I really want you to focus on.
Speaker 2: I want you to focus on how excited I am about the new Department of Homeland Security.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that other person.
Speaker 2: Yes, she's gone. We've got her in another position. That we're going to have her oversea. That sounds like, honestly a Marvel comic book.
Speaker 1: I don't know TuS the Shield of the Americas. We don't know what that is. A security initiative in the Western hemisphere, a little vague. We'll get the details this weekend. I guess she will too about what her new job is. Does she have a say in this this job? Is she have to just be reassigned? Can she say no, thank you for that gig.
Speaker 2: I think she is most likely going to say thank you, sir, and I will do I will serve as you ask. But it is fascinating to watch her on this podium and to listen to some of the anchors wondering because no one is asking her. Anyone in that room has a microphone, can ask for a question.
Speaker 3: She is literally taking Q and A.
Speaker 2: But these are not journalists, these are law enforcement officials, officers. So the speculation was maybe the folks in the room don't even know. That's how new this information is. And frankly, I was we were done for the day and you said, babe, there's breaking news. And look, unless you're paying close attention, this is something that could slip by. So she has not had to speak on it. Of course, every news outlet is closely monitoring this press conference to see if anyone asks her about it.
Speaker 1: The President didn't have to do what he did in the message either. Yes, she didn't get top billing. Yes, maybe she was an afterthought, but he Robes did say pleasant things about her, and he didn't have to.
Speaker 3: And he thanked her for her service.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he could have said something nasty. First of all, he could have not said anything. He made a choice to do that as well. And maybe this will I don't know him, maybe just being a nice guy. But she has had a rough rough go for the past several months, certainly starting in Minneapolis with what happened on the streets. But Robes, that's got to be it's got to be the start of her undoing the Alex Pretty death, not the Renee Good, but Alex Pretty. When she came out and called him a domestic terrorist. When we all saw video with our plane eyes told us something else. That was an awful situation, Robes, and she had an opportunity here at these hearings to clear the air, and it was not a good look for her.
Speaker 2: Yes, we actually talked about this the only remedy look.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 2: I do believe no matter how you feel about Christinome and her policy and even her delivery of her policy or the president's policy, I think we all know that sometimes something looks or sounds one way, and then once you actually see the video you get more information, you realize it's another thing. And it would have been such a smart move on her part to acknowledge that because people we're not dumb, and I think as leaders, when you treat the American people like we're stupid, like we don't see what we see, or you're telling us what we are looking at isn't real or isn't true, or is something altogether different, you are now going to completely lose all trust with the American people, Republicans and Democrats, because when you're saying to us something we know not to be true with a smile on your face, and then you refuse to apologize for it or say you know what, you're right. I didn't characterize that correctly. I should have taken more time. You know how far that would have gone in re establishing trust. You can make a mistake and then say, look, I am going to do better and I apologize. She doubled down, and that certainly there weren't even Republicans necessarily defending her.
Speaker 1: I know she could have got you say, it would have gone a long way. But it went a long way the other direction in making me think that we're not dealing with serious people. We're looking at the video. It's okay, it's okay. You're an adult. It's okay. You know it's adults. Sometimes we have to say I'm sorry. Sometimes you say my bad. And even if you don't want to apologize, you could at least say I have new information now. And that wasn't It's very simple stuff. The guy is dead, we saw him shot. You called him a terrorist. Okay, you didn't have all the information. That's not hard to do. And if for an adult under oath sitting in that stage, who is that important of a high profile role for the American people to not even just be what is the point? What is the pride part in politics that you can't say you made a mistake.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't know the answer to that.
Speaker 1: That was stunning in that hearing room. It's okay, lady, it's okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Alex pretty had a cell phone in his hands.
Speaker 1: It's okay, I misspoke. I didn't have it all and now did I see it? That's not how you know what. They didn't even ask for an apology. Can you just say that labeling him as a terrorist was wrong? Do you think he's a terrorist? As you sit here today? She wouldn't even answer that.
Speaker 2: I know these hearings are So you start watching these hearings and you say, I don't even want to continue. I want to turn this off, because when you can't see people speaking the truth, telling the truth, being honest, being real, when you just see people refusing to acknowledge reality, it's numbing.
Speaker 3: At a certain point.
Speaker 2: And so, look, she is out of a job, but she's moving into another one. It'll be really interesting to see if this is actually a position where she will be visible in any way.
Speaker 1: Highly doubted, highly doubt it. Get a good look at this press conference. We will not see her for the rest of the month. Probably she has until the thirty first, they say ropes, I'd be very surprised if we see her, and yes, we talk about what happened in Minneapolis, how high profile that was as far as a disaster for her, But we saw other things Robes. You just mentioned those two hundred million dollars in ads. Well, there's also some luxury jets that might have been her undoing. I continuing here with the breaking news Christy Nome, DHS Secretary of Robe. Some people might have said they saw this coming, but the Department of Homeland Security, she has been fired by the President, demoted certainly to a new position. We don't know exactly what that is yet. The Special Envoy for the Shield of the Americans, a new security initiative in the Western hemisphere. Not kidding that is he That's what it says. Man, She's taken over our hemisphere. So maybe this is a new it's an upgrade.
Speaker 3: I was just wondering, was he trying to make it sound bigger.
Speaker 1: Sounds bigger. Really, this is a demotion, so she was just dealing with the Homeland. Now she's got a hemisphere, so maybe he is making it sound.
Speaker 2: But I feel like that is exactly what he was trying to do to try and make her feel better about getting a lower position.
Speaker 1: Ah and some people you see what was going on on the streets of Minneapolis and the job she's done, and what's been happening with border agents and okay, take issue with her job performance and stuff we can see, but rose behind the scenes what might have done her in as well. There's been so many reports that she likes to roll in luxury. Christine ellm is H has been known to not be afraid to spend money to upgrade and a couple of jets that were perched to the tune of one hundred and fifty plus million I think it was one hundred and seventy million dollars for the Department of Homeland Security one of them to upgrade her own plane that she travels around on. It just set off alarm bells. There were tons of reports about it's just not again, this is the department, this is the administration. What was I can't even remember the name of the thing. Elon Musk, what was his department saving all this was? Yeah, the part of those department, They saving all this money. And now it seems that was another issue that seeing brobe to go along with what we saw in the hearing. I didn't even realize the ads cost that much.
Speaker 2: I didn't either, and apparently there was limited it was a limited competitive bid.
Speaker 1: And oh yeah, oh god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there was all of that, and then they made a point to say she was prominently featured throughout the entire att It was basically a Christie Noome. It was adah where Christi Nome looked powerful and beautiful, Yes, earning her nickname.
Speaker 3: Ice Barby, name Ice Barby. But yeah, so there was a lot.
Speaker 2: Of finger pointing when it came to all of those choices she made.
Speaker 3: In addition to yes, what happened Minneapolis, it wasn't just Minneapolis. There were a number of issues.
Speaker 1: But the reports are in several places that the thing that did her in Robes in fact, was those ads and her not just the ads, but how she performed at the hearing when she's questioned about it by a Republican up there, Louisiana Senator Kennedy was questioning her, and look, if it was a Democrat, he would have been yelling at her, but he was asking her very pointed question Robes about why this has happened, why this much money, and who gave you the okay? And the problem is who she said okay?
Speaker 2: Did Yeah, she said President Trump did, and I believe Senator Kennedy said, mister Trump called him and said, just so you know, that's not what happened. So he verbally contradicted Christy Nome, or you could say Christy Nome said something that either wasn't true or President Trump didn't appreciate or both.
Speaker 1: It was a bad It was one of the worst moments of the hearing to hear him question her about why do we need to see your face and spend two hundred million dollars to promote you? Will to promote you? She said, well, the President said it was okay, and that might have been her undoing robes. This is a huge story because she has been a huge name in the middle of a huge topic in this country and now she's out. And by the way, robes the Department of Homeland Security seems pretty damn important right now.
Speaker 3: It certainly does.
Speaker 1: It's not funded. It's not funded, and it's not lead.
Speaker 3: No, it's not.
Speaker 2: But we did get as the second part of President Trump's truth social post, he went on to talk about the person who he wants to take Christy Nome's place, and I say that because he does have to be confirmed by the Senate. But here is what he said about Mark Wayne. He said, serving ten years in the United States House of Representative and three in the Senate, Mark Wayne has done a tremendous job representing the wonderful people of Oklahoma, where I won all seventy seven out of seventy seven counties in twenty sixteen, twenty twenty, and twenty twenty four. A MAGA warrior and former undefeated professional MMA fighter, Mark Wayne truly gets along well with people and knows the wisdom and courage required to advance our America First agenda. As the only Native American in the Senate, Mark Wayne is a fantastic advocate for our incredible tribal communities. Mark Wayne will work tirelessly to keep our border secure, stop migrant crime, murderers and other criminals from illegally entering our country, and the scourge of illegal drugs.
Speaker 3: And make America safe again.
Speaker 2: Mark Wayne will make a spectacular Secretary of Homeland Security. Thank you for your attention to this matter.
Speaker 1: All so, we'll say he gets approved. Haking get approval through the Senate, but a shakeup, for sure, one that many maybe saw coming, one that many maybe were hoping for. For quite some time, but Christ you know, is out at the Department of Homeland Security again. Folks didn't expect to do this one. Just went to hop on and give you that update. Stay with us top right corner of the Apple Podcast app where it says, uh, follow that little button on our show page. Click that you can make sure you get all of our updates coming to you and low whatd have mercy. We don't even know when the next one's coming. We'll talk to you soon. I'm TJ. Holmes. We have my dear.
Speaker 2: Can you