Speaker 1: If you're able to get the best version of all these guys, or somewhat close to the best version of all of them, it really could be one of the best rotations in baseball.
Speaker 2: Here we go back on FT with Jesse Friedman, longtime Arizona Diamondbacks writer, podcast host. Great to have you on, Jesse Happy almost spring training time and works had to keep kind of rolling through team by team previews. But how you doing not a bad offseason to cover the team?
Speaker 3: Hey, guys, I'm great, appreciate you having me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, anytime you swoop in and sign the top free agent pitcher on the market, like you're probably doing pretty well for yourself.
Speaker 3: So yeah, the Diamondbacks to very much to my surprise.
Speaker 1: Honestly, they've had a pretty nice offseason for themselves for sure.
Speaker 4: Are you mad?
Speaker 5: We just had jameson Tai on on and I asked them they have to go play the Dodgers in Japan for two games, and I'm like, are you should even go?
Speaker 4: Because they're gonna win every game?
Speaker 5: So as the Diamondbacks in the division have to play them thirteen times, the team that beat them two years ago knocked them out of the playoffs. And played really well against them in twenty four? Should they even play the season because the Diamondbacks are trying here. They brought in some big moves and did some things we're gonna get into. But should the Diamondbacks even try this year? Should they just forfeit the games of Dodgers?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean, You've got two competing narratives here, right, I mean, I mean one aspect of this is I think we can all agree that, yes, some owners should go out and spend more money than they do. But there's also an element of the fact that the Dodgers say that the Dodgers are pulling in more revenue than the Diamondbacks and then a lot of other teams around the league, Right, I mean, I think that is not really a controversial point to make, and so there are inherent advantages there. At the same time, we saw what happened in twenty twenty three, right, That Dodgers team maybe wasn't quite as star studded as the team we're expecting to see in twenty twenty five, But that Dodgers team was pretty good as well. And the Diamondbacks went in there and frankly kind of obliterated and humiliated them in some ways. So you know, on one hand, there are some inequities in this sport that are just kind of inherent to the way that the sport runs. And on the other side, you've got this element of randomness in the postseason that really allows anything to happen if you're able to get in. Obviously, the Diamondbacks very narrowly were not able to do that in twenty twenty four. But with the addition of Corbyn Burns and the offseason that they've had and how good they already were last year, I think they have a decent shot in twenty twenty five to get back in there. And who knows what happens at that point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hey, arm health matters. We've seen that be a problem for that team many times in the past. It could be a problem again.
Speaker 4: We'll see.
Speaker 2: All right, So let's get to business here, and let's get Diamondbacks fans and just fans of any team besides the Dodgers may be excited with our twenty twenty five storylines. Twenty twenty five storylines for the Arizona Diamondbacks. Here's what we're gonna run through with Jesse right now. The dreamy rotation, which obviously was boosted by this big signing in the offseason, the Josh Naylor edition which is sneaky and the p's loading. We'll talk Toatel and Corbin Carrol, and then also just remind everyone that the Diamondbacks were pretty damn good last year too, they just were facing a different playoff field. So Jesse Friedman, let's begin with the headliner, as we should. Corbin Burns signs surprisingly with the Diamondbacks because we saw almost no whispers about this. So when you add him to what's already there, do you think this is one of the best rotations in Major League Baseball?
Speaker 3: If not maybe the best?
Speaker 1: I think it could be that. You know, that's really the best answer I can give on that. I'm hesitanting to go too far in that direction, because frankly, you look at the numbers a year ago and the results were not good for this starting rotation. The Diamondbacks had a four point seventy nine starting rotation era in twenty twenty four. And yes, there were a lot of factors there. You know, Zach Gallon missed a month, plus Meryl Kelly missed four months. At Ward, Rodriguez missed four months. Obviously, the Jordan Montgomery move did not pan out, to put it, to put it mildly, but yeah, I mean, this is a team that on paper still had quite a bit of talent in twenty twenty four, and you add Corbyn Burns to that mix. It's an easy rotation to dream on, I guess, is what I would say.
Speaker 3: At the very least.
Speaker 1: I mean, Zach Gallon has been one of the more consistent frontline starters in the game for a while. Meryl Kelly when he's healthy, when he's been healthy in recent years, has been excellent. And Wardo Rodriguez was fantastic with the Detroit Tigers back in twenty twenty three. Ryan Nelson really came on strong in the second half, a good young pitcher for this team. So if you're able to get like the best version of all these guys, or somewhat close to the best version of all of them, it really could be one of the best rotations in baseball. I'm just a little hesitant to go too far down that road when the reality in twenty twenty four was very different from that.
Speaker 6: How hesteron are you to say that Josh Naylor is going to be able to fill Christian Walker's shoes because Christian Walker kind of a quiet, super productive gold glove first baseman. Josh Naylor also productive, not quite the resume super.
Speaker 1: Loud, yeah right, not so quiet with Josh Naylor, they are very different personality wise, you know, I think offensively, Josh Naylor and Christian Walker are pretty similar. I was looking at some numbers earlier today. Over the past three seasons, Christian Walker has a one to twenty three ops plus. Josh Naylor also has a one to twenty three ops plus. So offensively, I think on paper it could be it could be, you know, a pretty good swap for the Diamondbacks where they can at least get something close to what they were getting with Christian Walker. Defensively is a very different story. Watching Christian Walker play first base is one of the most amazing things about watching the Arizona Diamondbacks, or it has been the past three seasons. It's been fun for me to to kind of get a front row seat to that because he is really good. He is the best defensive first baseman in all of baseball as far as I'm concerned. And Josh Naylor, you know, not to say he's necessarily a liability over there. I know the metrics in twenty twenty four we're not great, but there's a substantial difference, right, I mean there's a reason that I think on baseball reference war, you know, Christian Walker has almost twice as much war over the past three seasons as Naylor does. Part of that is the number of games that the Walker has played He's been able to stay healthy. But part of that is also that Christian Walker is an extraordinary defender and Josh Naylor is not that. But in terms of filling you know, Walker's shoes at first base, I think the Diamondbacks did reasonably well for themselves. You can plug Josh Naylor into the middle of the lineup and and feel pretty good about it.
Speaker 4: Jesse, do it with me. Yeah, you gotta rock the baby.
Speaker 5: You gotta learn to rock the baby like Josh Naylor does when he hits home runs. Right, you better get used to rocking the baby when he gets when he comes up and he hits his home run.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, right, rock the baby. That's right.
Speaker 3: It's the Yankee fans. They do it to him back.
Speaker 5: He did a White Sox a lot, so I know that pained. You know, we talked about Josh Nayeler. You guys have two other studs on your team. One of them could tell Marte had a shot to win the MVP.
Speaker 4: Before he got hurt last year.
Speaker 5: And then Corbyn Carroll the rookie of the Year two years ago and had a great second half. What can these guys do to improve from where they were last year? And the Diamondbacks scored a lot of runs last year. Can they keep up the offensive surge they had last year? And then with the new pitching staff, will that helped them get better?
Speaker 1: As far as how they can improve, I mean, Coutel Marte, I think it's hard. It's hard to ask the improvement there at this point. You did mention he got hurt toward the end of the season, which was a turn for him. So you know, if he's able to play a full one hundred and fifty five games or so, that would certainly be a big development. But Kutel was outstanding for this team. I mean, he had thirty six home runs in twenty twenty four. Had he not gotten hurt, he probably would have STD the forty you know, winds up finishing third in NL MVP voting. So you know, if he's able to just be anything like what he was in twenty twenty fours, if he's able to duplicate that in twenty twenty five, that would be enormous for this team. Corbyn Carroll in terms of improvement, that's where the narrative really lies for me. Corbin, as you said, was great in the second half. He had an OPS over nine hundred, and that came after hitting two home runs in his first eighty seven games. The man hit two home runs in his first eighty seven games, and he finished the year with twenty two home runs. So that gives you a sense of just how different of a player Corbyn Carroll was down the stretch. And you know, obviously this this is a game of adjustments. You guys certainly know that as well as anyone. You're not gonna just sort of coast to being a superstar player and never never face any bumps in the road along the way, at least at least not most of the time. And it really felt like Corbyn Carroll kind of got over the hump in the second half. And you know, I'm not sure if he's gonna finish first and MVP voting or you know, how much MVP consideration he'll ultimately get, but he seems like a pretty safe bet to be a lot better in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 6: I don't think many people. I'm sure you know many people know that the Diamondbacks last year had five more wins at eighty nine compared to the eighty four that they won in the year they went to the World Series. Is this team built for October but isn't sure how to get in or are they just going to improve again with the new roster configuration that they came up with like they did last year.
Speaker 1: I think they have a shot to be even better in twenty twenty five than they were in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: I do, And you're right.
Speaker 1: I mean the narrative that the twenty twenty four Diamondbacks were a big disappointment. I mean, in one sense, yes, like you miss the postseason, you feel like you've you know, you feel like it is a disappointment, rightfully so. But on the other hand, they did win five more games than they did the season prior, and you talk about being built for the postseason, It's a little bit hard for me to know exactly what built for the postseason means. But when there's so much randomness involved, but you know, you feel pretty good about you know, Corbyn Burns starting a game one, Zach Allen starting a game two, Merrill Kelly game three, you know whatever. They'd have a number of options after that. This is a team that I think could probably compete with anyone in twenty twenty five in a postseason series, certainly, And I think a big question for them is what does the offense look like? You mentioned earlier this team scored more runs than anyone else in baseball in twenty twenty four, which still kind of blows my mind. I'm still not a direly sure how that happened, but that was the reality of the situation. This team just absolutely beat the tar out of the ball the entire season, and I'm not sure I'm expecting that to continue in twenty twenty five. I still think they could be a good offensive team, especially if Corbyn Carroll is able to take that step forward. But you don't have Jack Peterson anymore. Christian Walker, as we said earlier, is no longer here, even though they did get a solid replacement there, I think in Josh Naylor. So yeah, the question is, you know, if you do take a step back on the offensive side, which I think is likely. How much better can your pitching staff be than it was a year ago? And I think it probably could be quite a bit better.
Speaker 3: Right I mentioned.
Speaker 1: Earlier a four point seven nine starting pitching eer. With some of the names that they have this season, I think if you're able to stay healthy, that group could take an enormous step forward and ultimately land this team in a much better position.
Speaker 2: Okay, Jesse, So let's recap, because then I'm going to put you to the test and tell us what we're missing about this team. Because we covered Burns, Naylor, Katl and Corbyn bringing it this year, and then how the team was pretty damn good. Last year was a different landscape for them to have to hit, and they just didn't get over the hump. I mean, the Mets were a pretty surprising team, and obviously the Braves were in a weird spot last season. The Diamondbacks were in that super awkward position of watching and rooting for one team to win both games. Anyway, fast forward to twenty twenty five. What are we missing storylines wise that is going to dictate the success of the Diamondbacks.
Speaker 1: I think The first thing that comes to mind for me, Scott is is are the Diamondbacks done this offseason. I'm not sure that they are. I think there's a chance that come opening Day this team could still look a little bit different. I know they would like to add a closer if they can. Obviously, Paul Sewald had his struggles down the stretch last year. He left in free agency, so I think that's a hole they would like to fill. I could see them adding a right handed bat to maybe get some some DH reps as well, So I think there are still some things that could be done here that The flip side of that narrative is that I still think there's a decent chance they look to trade someone like Jordan Montgomery in order to free up some salary space. Their payroll is inching close to two hundred million dollars right now, which is, you know, very much, far and away the highest enfranchise history. So I'll be curious to see what happens here over the over these next couple months as we get close to the season. The other narrative that comes to mind for me is Ao Henio Suarez, a name that we haven't we haven't mentioned yet. You know, if you had asked me in the middle of last year if the Diamondbacks were going to pick up his fifteen million dollar club option, I'm not sure I would have taken the question seriously frankly. I mean, you know, he in the first half really really struggled. He had an OPS in the five hundreds for multiple months, and then in the second half he was one of the best hitters in all of baseball, had an OPS over nine hundred. He had four four hit games in the second half. He was unbelievable. And I think I could see a scenario where maybe Gino is able to be a great player again in twenty twenty five. Or you could also maybe see a scenario where as he continues to age, you know, maybe we see some regression as we started to see at the beginning of last year. So I think he's a name to watch in twenty twenty five for sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It was great pick up, great Dudet, good fella, good fellow, good fellow. That Gino Suarez. That's right, Jesse. Great to have you on. Thanks for all the insight, man, really good stuff, great intel, and we'll have you again on soon. Everyone give Jesse a follow at Jesse N Friedman f R i E D m A N on Twitter.
Speaker 3: Appreciate you man, Yeah, thanks guys, always happy to do it.