Speaker 1: Hi, how Beauty transa.
Speaker 2: Welcome.
Speaker 3: Hi, Hey, welcome back to another episode.
Speaker 2: Of Beauty Tramp.
Speaker 1: I just I just got back from the vocal seminization surgery.
Speaker 3: Your voice cut out there for a second. That was crazy.
Speaker 4: They did a.
Speaker 3: Quick snip and was sent me on my way and she's all the better for it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel great.
Speaker 3: Can you like belt us a tune really quick?
Speaker 1: I'm on too many purpose that the surgery is very, very very painful. I don't tell you that.
Speaker 4: Well, it sounds like it was.
Speaker 1: They don't tell you what it was a success.
Speaker 4: That sounds like. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The thing is, I don't have insurance, so they could they could take it back at any moment.
Speaker 3: They could come reap you, repell your vocal cords.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well what if they just burst.
Speaker 2: Open up, open up this. We're gonna we're gonna know what's happening.
Speaker 4: They talked about place they took your vocal surgery. What have they done to our girl.
Speaker 5: Worse?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they said we're gonna actually make it worse this time.
Speaker 4: No, I think I think this was kind of just how I sounded before. I think so too.
Speaker 3: Well, Jamie, I'm really excited about today's episode we're going to be discussing electoral politics in the United States, particularly the Southern United States.
Speaker 4: Let me clear my let me clear my throat. Okay, sorry, I had a hair ball. Handball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the show, the actual show that we're here for.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I mean, today we're we have on the pod a friend of Janey's. We're discussing the American electoral politics.
Speaker 2: Wait, you gotta say the thing, Harmon, You got to say friend of the show, a friend of the show, not just not just a friend of me, a friend of the show.
Speaker 4: It's true. He is a friend of the show.
Speaker 3: And he is quite cute too, you know, I will say, Okay, John, all right, we thought you were you were cute, So all right, let's.
Speaker 2: Go, let's go, let's go play. Yeah. I like that. I like that we should comment on our guests our looks more often.
Speaker 3: I think we should. We really should. No, I think we should call them ugly when they're okay, yeah, we should. We should start doing that dirty horror. Today we have an ugly guest on the pod.
Speaker 2: Today, we have an ugly horror on the show to talk about what it's like to be an ugly.
Speaker 3: Horror and the difficulties that come along with that. But no, Josh is not just cute, he's also very very smart. You know him by editger Mintim iner Mintum on.
Speaker 2: All of the things, that's inermentum. I know, it's very hard for as inermental.
Speaker 4: It's in mintm.
Speaker 2: That's inermental.
Speaker 3: They need to put that in the Kim Gordon bye by side. And I can't tell if it's at ensurementum.
Speaker 2: That just sounds like phonetically you guys, let me say something about mentum. Uh, he's a guy, he's a he's a man. Yeah, he's a man. We got a man on the show today, a.
Speaker 4: SIS man on the pod today. Yeah, we got it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So for our listeners that are the kind to like spray paint bathrooms with like SIS people, go home, hold your hold your gay little horses for one second. Ed Insermentum is a man who's done a lot of very good writing about uh trans politics and is someone that I wanted to have on the show to give us a very kind of more grounded, sober, sober eyed I like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, very very facts over feelings.
Speaker 3: Look at we're facts of feelings here at Beauty Translator.
Speaker 2: Truly like messy, horrendous world of trans politics. And there's a lot of stuff that we've kind of avoided talking about on this show, just not not because we're scaredy cats of of political themes, but because we do want to make the show. Yeah, we want We don't want to be doomers. We want to have a fun show. I want to be fun for everyone. So this will be the show that is. And it's not it's not just fun because it is fun, but it's also really really smart. And I've liked this kind of ebb and flow we've had of having, like you know, like shows, Yeah, like a two IQ episode and then a five thousand IQ episode, So so put your Yeah, this one broke the IQ thermometer. It's it's hot, it's spicy, and I'm very proud of it. It's very it's another very very good episode for you guys. So if you're got your your electoral hat on, if you like, if you like graphs, you like data data, yeah, yeah, if you Yeah, we have with us Daddy data.
Speaker 3: Daddy Data is here to lay down the law, to.
Speaker 2: Tell us, So what's going up, what's going down, who's in, who's out?
Speaker 4: And yeah, it's good. It's a good combo.
Speaker 6: So it is.
Speaker 3: And I will say, Janey, I don't know if you felt this way. I mean I left this interview with Josh feeling a lot more hopeful about the prospect of trans politics. At least of course, we still have a huge problem with rising fascism in the.
Speaker 4: United States, but yeah, I would agree. So get ready to.
Speaker 3: Listen to our interview with Josh at Indermentum, the guy who correctly predicted the twenty twenty two election results. So yeah, let's get into it.
Speaker 2: I feel like this is like opposite day to our episode with Hesse, where we had like a fun day talking about investigation, key weird trans stuff and transvestigation, and now we're having a somber day where we reflect on where we're at as a society. Yeah, and we're doing that with our friends of the show at Injerumentum, who is a subsidis Josh twitch streamer, podcaster. I think I've got all those things, unless there's something else you want to have On.
Speaker 5: Twit like a year, but I'm going to go back once I have more time.
Speaker 4: Cool Cool.
Speaker 2: We wanted to catch up with you because you have written some excellent stuff on substack about trans legislation and stuff, And I want to just say at the top that like this is something that we don't touch on a lot specifically because like last season, like when Carmen would have me on like as a guest and we would like try to talk about this stuff, like it just became very like heavy and very like, I don't know, we want to mostly like make this like a fun show. And I still think this episode will be fun, but like I just find myself not having too much to say about it, Like I only want to touch on this stuff if there's like something tangible that we can do or if there's something funny.
Speaker 5: I absolutely agree. Yeah, I only write about it after there had been like a set of notable results. I don't like kind of dwelling on it or repeating myself.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And that's that's one thing I appreciate about your writing is that.
Speaker 2: It feels I don't know, like it's it's just it's so doomor like it's such a doom Leyden kind of like atmosphere. We talked about how like last Pride month was like the most depressing Pride month ever. You know, you had like fucking like face tattoo trappers, like like making like harassment campaigns against like targets, and like there was just the bud light stuff.
Speaker 4: There was just like a.
Speaker 3: Headline after headline of like shitty things like going on with transit people in gay people.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I feel like with with your writing, you you provide some necessary contexts that, like, I mean, in particular the one that you made last year about how this is a very like losing strategy and you're one of the few people to kind of sound the alarm that this is not a viable, like political strategy, even if it does stoke up some fervor in the like right wing base.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's kind of the main thesis I have it. Like there's two parts of it. What is this is an elite project. It's not like some mass public response to this. This is really being cooked up by a sort of class of media figures and political kind of consultants and think tanks, and it has been kind of transposed from on top to the bottom, which is I think that's an important distinction, because people I think can be scared of this is some kind of natural reaction. There's obviously a constituency for it people are bigoted, a homophobics and transfers. But this wasn't like a natural public response to like anything that was going on. It was you can track this just going into like the first article that I wrote, you can track it very clearly to the end of gay marriage is a political wedge issue, very like the decade from like the mid twentusands to mid twenty tens when gay marriage went from being pretty unpopular to a super majority position that everybody agreed with, and that left the right without like a very necessary tool for them to kind of divide people and get them on their side, like they did in elections of the early two thousands. So they go to trans stuff, like in transphobia, not because there's some huge public backlash, not because there's anything that trans people are necessarily doing, but because it's like they see it as the next best option. It's kind of like a tactical retreat and finding a new enemy to go after. But it's not nearly as well considered as the anti gay stuff. It's very hasty, and you see time and time again that like it doesn't like convince people, and it like it's another big point that I think is important to make is that I don't want to say that people are necessarily very like anti transphobic or necessarily pro trands. It's just an issue they don't really think about all that often, So they're not going to go out of their way to be anti trans. They're probably not going to go out of their way to be really pro and either. It's just that they're going to be alienated by the side that talks about it the most instead of the issues that they actually care about. So you can correlate this obsession with the issue to a very poor electoral track record.
Speaker 4: For sure, it's fake and in other words, yeah, yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: That's that's been a longstanding beauty translated truth is that like most people are just indifference. Like most people, like if you ask like a stranger on the street, like they're just indifferent. They don't particularly they might like at worse, like think like it's kind of weird or they don't understand it. And to be honest, I think that's fine. I don't give a shit. I don't need people to like understand the ins and outs of how a trans person feels.
Speaker 4: I don't need to explain like, oh, it's.
Speaker 2: Born in the wrong body, like I don't care, Like I would much rather have someone just be like, I don't know, the the Berita that I see every morning has weird hair and the and the pen that says she hers, So I guess she's nice.
Speaker 4: She makes a good Americano.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I'm like as assist straight person, I can't say, like, I understand that's why I'm not trans, but like it's not like my thing. But that's kind of where I'm at.
Speaker 3: Some I think that you do you yeah, yeah, but no, I mean it's and I think that's part of the reason why it becomes well for me, I in my mind, why we we become the next easiest target because people are so ambivalent in the sense like they could like most people really don't know that many trans people or care. I mean, obviously now more people know trans people than they did before, but most people aren't thinking about these things.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I think that's also absolutely a thing that like, I don't know really like hurts. The like anti trans like movement is that nowadays most people I don't know about most people, but a lot of people at least know a trans person. They have someone in their life and their family at their work, you know, like I work in public, like I work in like restaurants and shot and I've had a lot of people like say to me that, like they I'm like the first transperson they've worked with.
Speaker 4: And I'd say, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I just think it's interesting because like it's good for it's it's good for me, and it's good for all of us because I'm like really really cool. So like if I'm the first trans person that they know, then they're gonna think all trans people are really dope.
Speaker 4: Really really cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, really really dope with a lot of flag and cool. Yeah, this is a very old poll, but like one of the more striking results that I found when I was doing this, the first thing that I talked about in my first article that is, I think you could say as a genesis for like this whole political saga was the twenty sixteen North Carolina governor's race. So just north of us, those losers out there, there was one who first started this and tar heels.
Speaker 2: What the is that? Yeah, it's like if you clean your clean your boots, they got tar all over them.
Speaker 5: That's yeah, And it's like a racist name shoes, anything going on it's.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't even know the etymology of that, but it's it's always.
Speaker 5: The anemology is actually from the Civil War there was a North Carolina like regiment that was commanded by General Stonewall Jackson, and they did not retreat during a battle. They said, oh, they have tar heels. So yeah, so it's it's a racist background thought with.
Speaker 3: The Native American tribes that like use that as like early shoes.
Speaker 4: It's so stupid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, actually, no, they would use they would use like they would cover their feet and.
Speaker 4: The bottoms are there.
Speaker 5: Actually you actually I was wrong.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, all right, we can't cut that out now because he's right. I feel like that would get Really this is like.
Speaker 3: We're at trivia and like and like we had submitted Josh's answer and then my answer was the right answer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, then the most insane person at the table's the right answer.
Speaker 5: Yeah. It was it was related to like or people having actual like tar or rast on their yes.
Speaker 4: So that's awesome.
Speaker 2: Well, I love I love that the gay people got it right because it has to deal with fashion.
Speaker 4: Fashion, and now we have LIBERTONI.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you were saying, uh, Carolina, Yeah, what the fuck happened in North Carolina.
Speaker 5: So North Carolina became like so after twenty ten. In the twenty ten elections, Republicans had a lot of victories in a lot of states, and they used the very kind of loose electoralized in a lot of these states to basically establish themselves in power forever. Like this happened in Wisconsin and North Carolina and Kansas, so they basically were totally immune from any voter backs. Lastly, apps were raun guarantee that they would have state legislative majorities like no matter what, no matter what the electric results were. So they started looking at certain states as a laboratory like laboratories for right wing policies, and they used different kinds of policy regimes in different states. Like in Kansas, they greatly lowered the tax rates and it became like their laboratory for low taxes. It was a complete disaster. Actually it has Democrat governor now because of it. It like really damaged their party there. But North Carolina was their state for social policies. So when the Republicans took a trifecta gi trifectas when you have the governorship and both houses of the state legislator, you have total power in the state. They started like passing really draconian right wing social policies. They did voting restrictions, they were puilt civil rights laws, they did voter It was like this was where they were doing it. So the local municipality is in North Carolina, which are more bar and left wing, started like saying, Okay, we got to check what these guys are going to do next. We have to prepare for this. And the Charlotte City Council decided that they would pass an ordnance that would protect gender identity in Mecklenberg County or the city of Charlotte. And this I don't think that had actually changed anythink it was just like a preemptive kind of maneuver. But it took a rose the sailing to the issue to the North Carolina legislator and they totally freaked out and they overreacted by saying that like like those types of not only could those types of protections not be passed, but every county in the state had to follow by a new right wing policy where trans people couldn't go to the bathrooms that assign that matched with their gender identity. This was the first bathroom bill, and it became a huge issue in North Carolina in twenty sixteen because this was very early on and people looked at this and they just saw it his blatant discrimination, like it was just going after like they couldn't understand it. And companies, many of whom had transgender employees, were looking at they were like, well, we can't send our employees to this state. We can't do that. It discriminates against them. So a lot of companies in twenty sixteen started canceling projects in North Carolina because it was totally new and it costs North Carolina four billion dollars. And that's just the projects we know were canceled. There are probably a lot that were considered but weren't done in the state because of that. So this bill becomes incredibly unpopular because it's seen as discriminatory because it has a huge economic impact. And in May twenty sixteen, CNN had a national poll and they found that sixty percent of people nationally opposed the North Carolina bathroom bills, where they forced trans people to go to the bathrooms that didn't match with their identities. And this was despite eighty five percent of people on the survey said they had never met a transgender person before, which really surprised people involved in this because they assumed that people had to know people. Hey, marriage, sir.
Speaker 2: I mean, I feel like it's easier to discriminate against someone if you've if you're never met of someone else.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know background.
Speaker 5: Yeah. But this policy was inpopular despite that, Like people just saw the discrimination and they disapproved of it. So what happens in North Carolina is that this becomes sort of an albatross around the neck of the governor there, who in twenty twelve was elected in a landslide victory, Pat McCrory. He's the former mayor of Charlotte. Seems this mot already was very popular, but he faces a challenge from the state attorney general there, Roy Cooper, and Cooper makes the bathroom building a huge deal. He says like he won't enforce the law in his capacity as attorney general, which is a huge kind of like taking a big stand on that. He says that he'll repeal it, and Cooper, as a result of this, goes from trailing in the polls to leading in nearly every single survey. And what happens at the end of twenty sixteen is that Trump ends up winning North Carolina solidly, the Republican centator there ends up winning even more, but Cooper ends up winning his race as a Democrat by a very small margin. So there were tens of thousands of Trump voters who wanted against their own party in the governor's race over trans issues. And this is an immediate sign that people are not like fucking with this kind of attack, and like that's kind of the first kind of confrontation of this, and at least Republicans that back off the issue for a number of years and they only like there's kind of a quiet like from twenty seventeen to about twenty nineteen, and they only really start getting like crazy about it again around twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: It's about kids and or that's the kind of the way in on these issues is about kids in twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, this was something we me and you talked about a long time ago, also about how it seems very like difficult to like fight against because like I don't know, like like protecting the children, like it's something very like personal to people, Like it's kind of like shifting the framework because it's like no we're not being bigoted against you. You are enforcing this thing on our kids and you're mutilating them and and doctrinating them.
Speaker 5: And yeah, it makes sense, you know, it feels like it would be compelling. But what's remarkable is that, like I actually tracked this, you can find when they shift the messaging and they explicitly say in the articles at the time that this is a change in messaging on the issue. We're moving away from bathroom bills. That was a flop.
Speaker 4: Wow, this is this is over, Like I mean, bathroom bill is sinking.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, they're saying that they're not doing that anymore and that they're moving on to the kids and sports stuff because they say explicitly that it pulls better. They say that they can the messaging and that the kids and so this is a track this.
Speaker 2: No I've heard this before, that like the bathroom bill flopped, so like they kind of like did more of a census and saw that Americans care like the most about like this this abstract idea of like fairness, yea, and what's more fair than like a sport, you know, And so that like like threatening like the idea of like competition and like sports. It's like, I don't know, it kind of like threatens like the American ideal that like you can achieve if you try, and like I don't know, sports are emblematic of that.
Speaker 4: YadA YadA.
Speaker 2: But yeah, what you're saying is that they like they the bathroom mill was too stinky and no one latched onto that. But fairness and sports because everyone obviously cares about women's high school sports, if Americans care about anything.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just said that they changed the strategy. I didn't say that it worked because it's still good. Yeah, this is the big reveal here. So the race that they tried this out in is the Kentucky governor's race in twenty nineteen. This is Kentucky. This is a very conservative stand is one of Trump's best states in the entire country. It is North Carolina, it's a little more purple. This is extremely conservative. If culture war messaging is going to work anywhere, it's going to work in Kentucky. No offense to Kentucky's But I think you know what's going on there, like you know better than me. Yeah, But in twenty nineteen, the Republican governor there is once again very unpopular he's trailing in the polls to Andy Bascher, who will think I'm going to bring up a lot over the course of this episode. He's a pretty major character here. Bascher is like a very kind of old, like very kind of dying to read kind of Democrat. His father was the governor of the state, he was the state attorney general. He like has a kind of appeal to like white rural conservatives that other Democrats just don't have. Now, so Bisher is actually contending for the Kentucky's governor's races. It's like a pretty big deal, and Republicans are scrambling to kind of save this and they bring in this organization called the American Principles Project, and these guys like come up constantly in this story. They're like one of the leading groups for this kind of anti trends messaging. Like the guy like who runs it is the world's biggest viapper of all time. He talks to everybody. He just like tries to sound cool and he always get yeah, yeah, yeah. Maybe I have not seen this guy to cline a mediator, but he is a lunatic and it creates these great anecdotes. So he this guy Terry shilling. He shows up, he's like, we're gonna save Matt Bevin, the Republican. We're gonna win this race, and we're gonna do it by attacking the cher on being pro trends in girls' sports. And they say that like this is gonna like save the race for Bevin. But he loses. He loses the race.
Speaker 2: It's so it's just so silly, like yeah, I don't know, like like literally saying the sentence like we're going to hinge this race on high school women's sports.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like doesn't work.
Speaker 2: And yeah, wow. Another thing I'm kind of like realizing, like as I was like kind of like rereading some of your articles this morning, a lot of this like it's just like very mean spirited, and I feel like a lot of people really like realize like yeah, like sure, the because I've had trouble a while kind of like finding the reverse uno to the like we're targeting your kids and it's like you're bullying children. You're making laws to like prevent one high schooler in Nebraska from prevent from playing tennis.
Speaker 5: Well that is actually I'm not to go on to this is a bit like this is four years later. But so what happens immediately after this is the Scherling says that, like, oh, we lost the race, but it was a victory. What we flipped x amount of votes for Bevin. We know this for sure based on our pulling, this city is going to win. But they insist that, like they like were really successful and they nearly save the race room and they go on and they like get some more influenced. The Trump campaign is actually very wary of it. They try to do kind of a pro gay like kind of yeah there was a flag, yeah, but that was in twenty sixteen and twenty twenty. He had like Trump bride hats.
Speaker 3: Oh that's right, I remember that. I remember the gays for Trump people.
Speaker 5: Yeah, bride rallies were like they're saying that immigrants are trying to kill our gay people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Christian Walker went to one of them, I want to say, yeah in Lah Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So they were trying this angle and it doesn't work obviously, Like they're trying to like kind of split the trans community from the A community, and they're just like no show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the LGB without the tea. It's like, yeah, they're like.
Speaker 5: Nobody dies into that, Like it's been LGBT forever. Stop trying to change it.
Speaker 4: I feel like that could only work in fucking Britain.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, like oh yes, I don't know, Like my I hate like if you are one of those gay people who's like I don't fuck with trans people like you just you don't go outside, Like there's no way like you can like go to like gay bars the like interact with your community and like just straight up be like yeah, but I hate trans people like you just sound like a fucking loser, like growth, like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think there's a quote on this. Let me try to find it.
Speaker 2: A loser with no friends, Yeah, a loser with no friends.
Speaker 5: Yeah. It's they like these NGOs that are run by like pro equality stuff like just said, like you're just trying to separate us from that. We're not going to buy into that. It's clearly a.
Speaker 4: Scheme, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's only something that exists online. They just can't be people that go outside and interact with.
Speaker 5: This is the online stuff is an overriding theme. So what happens is that, like so Terry Shearing comes back, the app comes in, They're like, oh, the Trump campaign doesn't want us to do the anti trans stuff. They're trying to be woke, but we're going to do it anyways. So he really starts sending like thousands of texts saying that Biden wants to do sex changes of seventy year olds. It doesn't work. Yeah, none of the states that he targets actually vote read. So usually this would be like a like a terrible like it's over for him. He tried twice and it just isn't working, like it's joker for Terry shilling. But what happens after twenty twenty is the results are a lot closer than people thought they would be. So Democratic strategists freaked out, like they have a complete meltdown. They're like, we were too woke. The wokeness is killing us. We were supposed to beat Trump by ten points, but we only beat them by five. This is a catastrophe. We have to be less woke. And that gives a lot of fodder to these anti trans groups that are kind of struggling for funds and contention where they can quote like Democratic strategists saying that, like all these guys know exactly what they're doing. They nearly won the election. They're geniuses. They're killing us. They're going to win every seat for the next fifty years, so that gives them a huge lease on life. And this is after January sixth, where Trump is kind of in the background and like there's a huge kind of crisis of identity with Republicans, and this is the context in which the anti trans stuff really takes off because it hits all of the boxes. It provides them with a new kind of message they hadn't really tried nationally before. It promises them that they're going to start winning elections again using it, and it like it's a big thing, and they like being biggest, so they just it's like it's perfect for them. So in around and then like in twenty twenty one, they really luck out because in Virginia, when Glenn Youngkin, who is a very strong candidate in his own right, benefits from the collapse of Afghanistan happening right before the election in Virginia by his approval rating tanks, he shoots up in the polls and he wins very He runs by about two points in Virginia on a platform the kind of pioneered the anti trans stuff that was that is to the state their most significant victory. That is, you can't take that away from them. I guess like that was pretty impressive. I mean like like the Virginia was a Biden plus ten state, like we managed to win, like sure, but what people missed a lot is that that was just one part of a larger overall message that cast him as a moderate. He didn't run as a he wasn't perceived as a culture warrior. But then in twenty twenty two, they all try to imitate him. They don't do it the way, they don't have the yunkin riz and it flops years.
Speaker 2: Yeah that, yeah, I do want to ask though, like even if it's not winning like like races, what do you make of like all of the kind of like individual like legislation that goes around Like like this was something we kind of like touched on maybe before we were recording, but like, uh, like Car like used to bring up to me like I used.
Speaker 3: To you know, I used to cover like every week. I thought like, oh, you know, I'll just like cover trans news, and then that became very very depressing because every week it's just like different. It's just like I'm basically just like screaming, like ah, and it's like nothing to do about that. It's really just creating a bunch more fear in the trans community, which is I feel like half of the tactic there. But we are still I mean that being said, I keep seeing people say that twenty twenty four has had more anti trans bills introduced than twenty twenty three, But I don't know.
Speaker 5: Bill and productions aren't really a good way to track this in my opinion. Anybody can introduce a bill doesn't mean they's pass It's just it's a way for people who want fundraising their virtue signal, like, oh I introduced the kill trans, people like, give me donation so I can get it past or somebody like like most of them are in blue stage any chance of passing or just trying to get flout right right.
Speaker 2: You also touched on something kind of interesting with the North Carolina bathroom bill thing and how it lost them a lot of money. And I feel like the sad fact a lot of the failures of this and you see this with our with our boy mister ron Dion desantas Loss who took a huge l fighting against Disney, woke Disney right, and now.
Speaker 4: They're brainwashing the kids, grooming the kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's like I can't help but think that a big reason why he's lost and all. A big reason a lot of this loss is because like when like bigotry is one thing, you know, but when it starts actually hurting the pockets of the people who actually run this country, that's when the politicians are going to lose. Like that, Like I feel like if the bigotry could just come off like without any you know, financial losses, they'd probably get away with a lot easier.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And.
Speaker 5: It's a weird mix of it because like even when they started, they are starting to bring the bathroom bills back that has occurred in recent years. But like it's I don't think that every state that has passed anti trend stuff is necessarily passed a bathroom bill. Not everybody really gets ahead of themselves, like the way that some states like Orida have done. It's one thing when you're trying to make like the businesses themselves obviously is the spectrum of business or cowardly on this and don't really care about the actual rights, Like who would have thought, But it was easy for them to make an example out of one state. But when it's like half the country's passionate stuff. They kind of just like whatever, like we can't like doing this type of thing for fifty percent of America. So like that was never a long term strategy. It was helpful that like it helped defeat them and like give them a big black eye. But what ry Cooper did was very unique. But I did show that, like, when faced with even the smallest bit of material consequences, people are going to go out of their way to be anti trans if that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Right, right.
Speaker 2: That's kind of why the Target and bud Light situations kind of stuck out to me because like I feel like, I don't know, I feel like capitulating to the right wing in that regard in the way that both of those companies did was so like counterintuitive because like if they just I don't know, like if they if they said nothing, I don't think anything would have happened and it would have just blown over. And also they could have taken like another route entirely where they were like hell yeah, bud Lights the gay beer, and then like every like liberal in the world would be like, oh, two bud Lights for me, you know, like like they would buy it. Extra harder because everything.
Speaker 4: In this country is so it's it's just I mean, you had bud Light for your cookout, Jane, I did? I did?
Speaker 2: Because it was their weepest serious I did.
Speaker 4: I did.
Speaker 2: I was selling Lope beers for two dollars. It is because it was the cheapest one to buy at Costco. They were very I guess that was a good thing, and mid bud Life very cheap.
Speaker 4: And then they they.
Speaker 3: Bounced back with like the Camo packaging or whatever.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, yeah right, but it was so easy to do business in this country.
Speaker 4: Like who was who was that fucking dumbass that it was?
Speaker 2: The Was it the Daily Wire guy that tried to make uh woke woke candy bars.
Speaker 5: Or that's a Daily Wire thing they do? Stupid?
Speaker 2: They did woke beer, didn't they do a woke beer?
Speaker 5: Anti woke beer?
Speaker 4: Sorry, I'm sorry anti woke beer.
Speaker 5: There was one Trump hat that he sold in twenty twenty that just said woke on it. It was like a Plexit type thing. But like they are, they might have claimed woke.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, they claiming the reclaiming, reclaiming woke.
Speaker 2: I like imagining like a like a doctor strange love like scene or like Peter selling like Trump should go woke.
Speaker 5: They tried doing that in twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: Literally, yes, I wanted to ask you a little bit about Georgia for a second. I mean, Georgia is unique obviously, like it's probably the most blue state in the South, I would guess.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you have this.
Speaker 5: Point Virginia, which I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: They're so far up there.
Speaker 5: No way, they're all in the DC suburbs, is not, You're not real.
Speaker 4: There are They're the Richmond north of French Literally are this hounds? To me is like the Bible Belt And that's a I'm sorry North Carolina, Yes exactly, but no, so like.
Speaker 3: Georgia, you know, so okay, what's unique about all of this to me? Like from my perspective is I know that like trans people, out of all the places in the United States, we majority of trans people live in the Southeast United States?
Speaker 2: Is that true?
Speaker 4: That is true?
Speaker 5: That like the census South? Is it like a plurality or a majority? God, he's like plarity. It's the most of a group of under fifty percent.
Speaker 4: Let me look, let me look, Oh my gosh, I didn't go to college.
Speaker 5: Okay, Okay, yeah, I think it's because a plurality of people who've been in the South that's defined by the census.
Speaker 4: But there's like a I mean, we got a lot of faggots down here for okay.
Speaker 3: Williams Institute. Yeah, this is from the Williams Institute. Look, I'm just going to drop the image and you helped me decipher this. Okay, this is from I think twenty twenty two.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a plurality, but it's like the more trench people live there than any other area. Yeah, you can see that.
Speaker 4: That's interesting. It's probably because like you know, those.
Speaker 5: Are the census regions. It includes like everything from Maryland to Florida.
Speaker 2: So okay, it's just okay, I could see like the South is like it's like desolate and boring and like you know, you're like alone on your farm and all you have to do is like try on your sister's clothes all day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just look a little like I know that the South, according to the census regions is like very highly populated, but even this is like this pretty disproportionately high numbers here.
Speaker 3: And I will say so like in Georgia, we really haven't seen quite as many of these bills introduced. Yeah, there are probably if I had to, if I had to guess, I would say more trans people exist in Georgia than any other state in the South.
Speaker 4: I think that's likely.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and Andy, Atlanta is a very good Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can throw can hit a trans person in any direction.
Speaker 3: Of the craziest thing about Atlanta is that we only had our first facial feminization sergeant move here last year, and we have no doctors here that perform bottom surgery any kind, sex reassignment surgery of any Well, yeah, it is, but it's like why, you know, in my mind, it's like we've been here for so long, it's like there's like this commit and it's like why. But apparently it has to do with the hospitals not allowing that to happen. But what I wanted to ask you is why you think Georgia is able to kind of stay clear of a lot of this Because we've got Florida that just now reversed everyone's apparently they're reversing everyone's driver's licenses now to match their yeah, birth sex, whatever. And then you've got like all these other Tennessee like it's like across the right exactly. So Georgia has somehow stayed pretty out of it. What are your thoughts on that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, if it's go by bill introductions, then I think it's because the Republicans here run a pretty tight ship. They're not going to have random members like just putting out like nonsense. Yeah, Like I remember that there had one guy who went crazy and like saying that they should kick out Fanny Willi from dubiting Trump and came him out of their podcasts. Like they're pretty professional about this. But a lot of it goes back to the nature of our governor, the great Brian Kemp, the focus Republican and all of them, who is in a very interesting situation. He came to office in twenty eighteen on a very very conservative platform. He was a Trump endorsed guy. He made a bunch of more experienced candidates off of that endorsement. But after the race here went for Biden. He got in Trump's hire because he certified the election. This litally burned all the bridges he had at that wing of the party and he was forced to kind of find his own way forward. I thought he was kind of screwed. I thought that he might not survive the primary, especially when Trump got Purdue, who's not a great politician, but he's a former satary profile as a name. But he killed Perdue. He crushed him in the primary by like fifty points. He won every single county in the state. It was a huge show of force. And that is but Kemp in an interesting position where he is definitively broken away from the Trump wing of the party. So he has his own brand as kind of I wouldn't say anti Trump, but not outwardly pro Trump. So you're definitely a guy who has like clearly stepped away from him and is his own man, right, and this has made him very, very popular. He won the last governor's race by a larger margin than almost every other Republican besides Rappensburg.
Speaker 4: He did have kind of a weak candidate or of course.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was my Yeah, that was my first article. I don't think that he's like a god or anything. Obviously benefited from that. I've been governoring in the first place. Abrams through that election.
Speaker 4: Amazing that they did that rematch.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, yeah, it is a terrible idea. Yeah, so what happens is that Kemp ends up winning by a large margin, and a lot of it is because he did for a Republican in twenty twenty two. He does very well in Atlanta in the suburbs. He has numbers in Faulton County that haven't been seen since Mitt Romney. He does relatively well in Cobb County and Gwenett County and America yea my home when rules. Yeah, yeah, but that's like the whole area where Kemp is it's very well. And the contrast with that is in the same race we had Walker versus Warnock, and Walker ran on a very conservative platform. He was doing ads. I certainly saw it repeatedly with Riley Gaines, another very weak candidate. Yeah, because Walker was such a personal fuck up. He tried to lean really hard in on the anti trans stuff. There's an awesome quote from him.
Speaker 2: His cave was really funny, Like, even though it was terrifying, it was very funny.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So Herschel is a complete fuck up of a candidate. He's like, people have no confidence in him. He's a told joke. Nobody wants him to be their center. Warnock himself is very strong incumbent. Uh so he has to start leaning. He tries leaning on the anti trans stuff. Not really the sharpest guy in the drawer can't really like our TikTok messaging in the way other cannabis maybe could. There's a quote for him where he says, I don't even know what a pronoun is, So this is what we're dealing with here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he had that awesome like anti transports. I remember, like, I remember how that was in the ads all the time. It played like before every YouTube video I want, so I was like, what the fuck?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I remember that vividly. That was one of the things that got me this idea for this because I was like following the runoff very closely, and the early voting signs were excellent for Democrats, Like it was obvious that Warnock was on a path to wind the entire time. And I always contra like there was black turnout of thirty five percent. It was nuts, Like you could have the race was basically over before election day because they did so well. And I was looking at that stuff, and I was looking at these ads where he was like Riley games every two fucking minutes, and I was like, maybe there's something going on here. But Anyways, so Walker runs in this platform, and in the places where Camp does very well, he completely collapses. It's like a complete devastation. He does far worse than even Trump and a lot of these suburban counties. I think he gets like single digit support, and like Clayton County he loses like by three hundred thousand votes in the cab and Faulton. Warnock cracked sixty percent in Cobb County. He wins East Cobb. Wow, Like, yeah, Warnock won East Common. That's how much stuff is changing.
Speaker 4: It still had to go to a runoff, though, which is kind of very.
Speaker 5: Close given the circumstances where Camp was winning by eight points in the same ballot. I think Warnock did very impressively. He won hundreds of thousands of Camp voters. Really, nobody else did it like him that year.
Speaker 2: But I also love the moment when he pulled out his sheriffage. Oh he cluched it, his little plastic triff badge.
Speaker 5: Yeah he was. He was great.
Speaker 4: When never anybody's like, you can't break out props.
Speaker 3: He gave us Christian Walker, who is by far our greatest Christian Walker.
Speaker 4: It was like the Jedi.
Speaker 5: Cool God Ultimate.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's so funny. I wish we could have more like stupid people like that.
Speaker 2: You just have it being entertaining, Like I'm jealous that New York gets Eric Adams and we get Andre Dickens. Like Andre Dickens is so boring. I'm always trying to find something. I found this kind of funny video of him talking to Joe Biden and he's like showing him like a train. It's pretty cool. But other than that, it's just like I met him and he has very soft hands. I'll say that, oh yeah, knows the trans memes is a very beautiful wife and very soft hands. It felt like the King of the Hill when I, uh, oh my god, it was like the opposite.
Speaker 4: I was like them. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So anyways, the whole point about that story is is that there's Kep is a pretty savvy guy. I'd say, you don't get sixty percent approven ready in a swing state for no reason. And he is looking at this and he sees that he ran in a more relatively moderate reputation and he did very well. Walker tries to leverage the culture worst stuff and he totally flops. So they have passed a lot of stuff here, like We're not like some like safe Haven by anything. Yeah, but I think that he can look at that stuff. And he's always been obsessed with winning back the white suburban mom vote in the suburbs. That's why now theyated left floor. He thought that.
Speaker 4: I forgot about her. Oh my god, I forgot about that psycho.
Speaker 3: She was like in culter reanimated basically.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was kind of an obsession. That's been an obsession of him since his first race. Many nearly had lost because the suburban vote turned away from his party, and he's accomplishment for himself. He actually just did pretty well in the suburbs, like I said, but he can't do it for the rest of his party now, and I think he's very ambitious. They're all signs indicate that he plans to run against Oustoff in twenty twenty six, which will be a very kind of clash of God's Movement. Like that'll be very like intense matchup.
Speaker 2: Kemp is a very like I don't know, he's a very kind of like old school like Republican in a lot of ways, it's a very like free Truma Republican.
Speaker 4: He feels like a Purdue from my estimation, yeah, he's been.
Speaker 5: Forced into that. He was fine being a Trump Republican, but the wheel of fate deemed it not to be his destiny. I mean, yeah, I think he's in a good position now and it's made him very popular when people perceive him as a moderate when he's not place he's the base is still happy with him, like the Trump hating him, and there are worse places to be for sure. He also like very connected with business. He doesn't really want to be known as like the firebrand, like kind of lunatic right wing. So if like eure a company that wants to start out operations in the Southeast, and you're seeing all this controversy in Florida and not that much in Georgia, Atlanta looks more enticing to you, And I'm sure that's on his mind. Well, that's kind of been a tradition for governors here. Nathan Deal famously vita the Regious Liberty Bill at the same time that the bathroom bill thing was going on in North Carolina, and then he got hundreds of millions of dollars and investments from companies in North Carolina. So it's kind of that informs their reasoning. They know the benefits of kind of making Georgia kind of more known as a more moderate state of these things, well, obviously not being moderate in any actual sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I guess the last little thing I'm worried about that. I just want you to put at rest for me, because you have put a lot of my fears that he ease, I will say, and I appreciate that. The uh fucking kN Paxton, the Texas Attorney general, total psycho. Yeah, so recently we know that last year he uh asked for a registry of all the people who have changed their their sex in the state of Texas. Well, now he asks the state of North Carolina and Georgia and Tennessee. I want to say, the same thing, What the fuck? Why is he so obsessed?
Speaker 4: He's a chaser?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, he wants our phone numbers and addresses.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Paxton is a very special guy. He very nearly got impeached by Republicans in Texas. Probably maybe more extreme than anybody else in the country. Just very out there. I can't really say what he's doing, but is probably bad. He really sucks. So is he asking like other states a setup tro rams are for them to give him their information.
Speaker 3: He's asking them to send them the information that they have, like the States.
Speaker 4: Let me pull it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean this could like just play into Joss's theory about like when something gets too like repulsive and like gross and like I don't know, like that it just it just becomes like a turn off like that. Like it just seems like this could be someone who's you know, like trying to like climb their way up in the Republican establishment.
Speaker 5: By ruined like they tried to kick him out. They really he's so very much a base guy now.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Wow.
Speaker 4: I also this is like tangential.
Speaker 2: But like when we're talking about Georgia and it being like sort of moderate, it kind of slipped my mind that we have a homegirl MTG.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, how we forget to talk about her.
Speaker 5: She's nowhere near her as Georgia is. She's outside of Atlanta.
Speaker 2: Yeah to her.
Speaker 4: I've been to her.
Speaker 3: Her district. It's the same place where the house from Stranger Things season four is. Yeah, and I went to go see this. I saw Jonathan Byers in my coffee shop.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, did you get a handy?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: I don't watch that show.
Speaker 2: Which one is that guy? He's like the hot one kids. Oh my god, Yes, he's in a Yeah, he's the one that like helps out the kids. I've seen like the first like two seasons, and then I would have a third season. I was like, this ship's for babies.
Speaker 4: I don't like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The Stranger Things cast is like a menace around Atlanta. They are always looming around every corner. You could run into one of them.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I'm I completely derailed us. But yeah, so Kim Paxson is just to chase her. We have nothing to worry about, thank you, Josh.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I kind of like the beast set at the end of the first article, which is that as they make train stuff PARTI isan issue, like a lot of other policies in this country, is going to be polarized by state. So in blue states run by Democrats, there are They've actually passed a number of very strong trans protection trans refugee bills, like Minnesota and Washington passed them. I think a lot of other states. Michigan did it too. They're under a new Democratic majority.
Speaker 4: Michigan is great for trans stuff.
Speaker 2: Like from what I have a friend who just moved here from Detroit and she's obsessed with the Whipmer. She got like ff as like for free and stuff there, Like it's pretty incredible. Yeah, what they're doing my peach state health plans is happening in Michigan.
Speaker 5: Well yeah, incredible things. Yeah, that's that is interesting because somebody did say, oh, there's no place you can live as a trans person with good laws where it's not like four thousand dollars a month in rent. I was like, Michigan is kind of cheat.
Speaker 2: I feel like Greston Whitmer also like handles the trends stuff fair very well, but just not engaging with it.
Speaker 5: Yeah. She just like shows up to like stuff with pry Pride flags and it's like, oh, I'm being pro gay. I love equality in Michigan being tolerant and that it's like the like the Trans People Militarization Act of twenty twenty three.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, it's pretty cool. I gotta get everything to Edger before we wrap up.
Speaker 3: What do you think twenty twenty four into twenty twenty five looks like as we get into it. I know it's it's not easy to summarize, I'm sure, but if you just want to give it some of your thoughts, this.
Speaker 5: Is going to be the weirdest, most boring election ever because under the hohood you have crazy shit going on. Like there's some crazy shifts that are happening. Big moves are going on. Hispanics are becoming Republican, contactors are becoming Democrats. Black people are still Democratic, but they're slightly more Republican. So you can see crazy stuff happening, but at the top level it's very kind of static. The polls have shown a small Trump lead over the last couple of months. Biden, I think, is what the worst person they could nominate this year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's Trump's not a good candidate for the public.
Speaker 5: Worst yea coughing baby versus coughing baby.
Speaker 4: Yeah he's going to die first.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, yeah, that's the next article. What if they both die in the same day?
Speaker 2: What happened?
Speaker 4: Oh man, wow, amazing.
Speaker 5: I haven't may talk about this is like the worst of I should ever. So it has not been decided this early since eighteen twenty four. I calculated it. This is if I can like the candidate that point, I don't know necessarily. He has a lot of liabilities. He's obviously very unpopular and damaged political brand. He has an appeal right now. I think it's hard for people to kind of understand it as kind of the competence candidate where he's like, Biden is the guy everything's going to hell under Biden. He's already can't handle anything. Put me in there and I'll be tough and on top of things. That appeals to people in the light of some of the things that have happened. I think, especially with the violence overseas, you've Trump really did gain as a result of that, is, Yeah, ticked up a little bit, necessarily because people like are pro Palestine and they hate Biden because he's like, no, like supporting his real too much because it all it's just it looks like it's all going to hell and he's not taking care of it.
Speaker 2: Now. I can speak personally for myself and our listeners can yell at me if they want, but I'm not voting for Joe Biden, and it's because of supporting a genocide and Gaza.
Speaker 4: I think it's horrendous, and I think that's.
Speaker 3: Pretty much how every like queer and trans person that is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot of people that are saying that, and I don't invince that I'm not convinced that it's enough people to like cost Biden the election by.
Speaker 5: Any means, but those here can be really close, do you think so? Do you think in twenty twenty the I think the racer was decided by ten thousand votes?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, I mean it was. I could be wrong, but like I I don't know. It is fascinating.
Speaker 2: It is interesting because never in my fucking life what I've considered that, like the issues of Palestinians would be like something that people care about. Like it's just it's really it's really surprising to me, and it really goes a lot to show about how.
Speaker 5: Like, yeah, it's I don't prism for dissatisfaction people feel about his presidency in general. I think he doesn't listen that he's out of touch. He has old war mongering, like the DC establishment policies, and it's a it makes people feel like they're vindicated and their frustration with him. It's just it's a culmination of years of kind of or political management. It's like, that's not all that it is. But the reason why I think it's struct such a cored with people is that people already didn't like this fucking in the first place. At kind of attached to something that they didn't really buy into, and now he's being like terrible. It's like this is the final strung. I'm not going to be fucking with this. Uh it could. The races with Trump are always historically so close, like it, I don't want to ever kind anything out as having an impact, right, but yeah, his Biden's problem right now is a base problem. He's actually holding up relatively well with the Republican like white swing voters. He's just doing terribly with non whites. He's doing terribly with young voters. And that is why he's losing right now. So it's like they were so focused on guarding their rear flank that they neglected their center.
Speaker 2: I guess, yeah, yeah, yeah for sure.
Speaker 4: Cool. Well, damn, there's like so I wanted to talk about like so much.
Speaker 2: El It's like John Futterman and Cott City and like, yeah, fuck that guy guy makes me so mad. That picture of him in that dumb ass fucking shirt.
Speaker 5: You know that he like had a really good election in twenty twenty two and it was kind of cool. I know by five points he was a Birnie guy.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 5: You know he's like he's really Zionist, even like the first senator.
Speaker 4: Like literally like how to stroke that made him assigned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but uh yeah, I don't want to keep you all day, and I don't want to go on too long, so hit us with your plugs.
Speaker 4: And I listened to you.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah at Intrementum dot news. Hopefully you can look at the show description. That's always very helpful. Yes, we want to bet and I have a Twitter with the same name, which is where most people probably know me. It's like there's more followers and write newsletters.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I follow the newsletter. It's great.
Speaker 2: All of our listeners would get a lot out of it, particularly the article heads out there, of which I know there's probably the big trends.
Speaker 5: One is free, that is free for everybody to read.
Speaker 3: Hy we've given Josh official ally status for the one won the Ally Championships.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you.
Speaker 5: I did get an award from a local Jewish trans thing a couple of years ago, and like it kind of makes sense. I guess now. This was like before I had done anything. It was just a family friend who knew that I liked politics, and I just don't like this award that I hadn't done anything.
Speaker 2: For no clue.
Speaker 3: Well, now the awards and you can corrected it. Well, thank you, thank you for being here.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much. Before we take.
Speaker 3: Voicemails, we have some news to share with the listeners. Janie's new music video has just dropped.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, by the time, by the time you're listening to this, you can stream it.
Speaker 4: So yeah, so.
Speaker 3: Stream Janie's new song. Check out her new music video.
Speaker 4: I am in it, Carmen Zenna, I am in it being cute and stabbing men. You know, she's in it.
Speaker 2: She's being cute.
Speaker 4: I've got men tied up, you know.
Speaker 2: Thank you again for being in my video.
Speaker 4: It was so much fun.
Speaker 2: It was fun until the allergy was really set down. Yeah, I was doing like poison damage to all of you.
Speaker 3: She was doing poison damage all of us. She really took that Midsummer to the next level. And she was like, you know, we're gonna put real fucking rose petals on these masks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well I was.
Speaker 2: It was more kind of it's kind of an American beauty thing if you think about it.
Speaker 4: Oh, I didn't even think about it. All the rose fuddles.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, I'm feeling that. Okay, So check out Janie's American Beauty on YouTube.
Speaker 2: You know what, I'm gonna walk this bay. You know, I don't know if I want to be associated with Kevin Spacey.
Speaker 3: Oh I forgot about Kevin Spacey, but you know, he is in one of my favorite movies, Midnight in the Garden. I'm Good and Evil, So he's not a lot of really good movies. He is, And that is what's so disappointing about like gay pedophiles. I guess that they're just.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the most disappointing thing about gay pedophile is that they're in really good movies.
Speaker 3: But I will never forget Kevin Spacey's response to coming out about the pedophilia allegations was to come out as gay.
Speaker 2: And he thought that that was he thought he cooked, He thought.
Speaker 4: He cooked, he cooked.
Speaker 2: It's like it is really funny.
Speaker 4: No, dude, that doesn't make anything better, Like, yeah, but who's laughing?
Speaker 2: Now he killed all the witnesses and now he's just free, like everyone that was gonna testify died and like a mysterious no, really yeah no, that's actually true.
Speaker 4: I'm not even making that up. Even the guy, the actor, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Like I know that there was like four or five people that were going to testify against Kevin Spacy and they all like died in my serious ways.
Speaker 4: So he got off.
Speaker 3: They like basically stacked themselves into a suitcase and threw themselves out of a fucking hotel window.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it was it was like, you know, like Russia, Like you can look it up.
Speaker 4: I haven't. I haven't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if the top of my head, but yeah, it's you can look this up. It's pretty cool victim. I mean it's it'd be cool if it wasn't for covering up pedophilia. But what.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what, Yeah, I'm reading about this. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: I know, people think I'm crazy and then they do one Google search and they're like, oh, she's.
Speaker 3: Kevin Spacey's accusers died in twenty nineteen. That is insane. Ari Bam, a former Norwegian Royal who accused actor Kevin Spacey of sexual assault in twenty seventeen, died by sude Norwegian Royal.
Speaker 2: I know, right, I feel like a guy that owns a really nice like tuna factory the air to a fortune of like canned fish that's called like clip clip.
Speaker 3: Yeah, fucking wow, Wow, So Kevin Spacey has like he has like some house of house of cards like connections.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 4: I mean yeah, it's fucking crazy.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm scared of Kevin Spacey now we Yeah you should be. That's horrifying.
Speaker 4: Anyway. Should we take a voicemail?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I love so.
Speaker 7: Hello Governor. It's a longtime listener here from the UK aka Turf Island. I'm just looking for some advice on voice training and when to do it in a busy schedule, How do I fill it in? And how do I deal with your reactions? It's something quite abrupt compared to the visual transition, or in your opinion, is it even necessary? Is there too much pressure for trans girls to train their voice or am I just wanting to radiate my trans joy?
Speaker 5: Thanks?
Speaker 7: Keep with the good work, guys.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be honest, dude, I can't help you sound normal like har you're you should ask a British person that's that already sounds American, because I don't know how to undo what's going on there, how to.
Speaker 4: Get rid of that accent.
Speaker 2: I think you're just gonna sound British for life. Maybe maybe study like uh, I don't know, like Daniel day Lewis.
Speaker 4: Or something like that. That's like get into some mental acting.
Speaker 2: I'm just teasing. I'm just accents are kind of cool. But Carmen should take this over because I talk like a fucking teenage boy.
Speaker 3: So no, okay, Well, first of all, my first thing, my first response to this is no, you shouldn't have to do anything unless that is something that particularly bothers you. So if you want to improve your voice, then you should do that. You shouldn't do it for any other reasons other than that. But of course it does help with passing. I started voice training when I was about fifteen to sixteen years old, and I will admit I don't even have the most feminine voice. I downloaded a fucking app year.
Speaker 2: Your voice is.
Speaker 4: Your voice is insanely cut. Oh thank you.
Speaker 3: I downloaded an app the other day that told me I sound like a man, though, so.
Speaker 2: Don't voice up. What was it?
Speaker 4: I've had like five of those apps on my phone. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't recommend it, but I think the best way to go about voice training is to first of all, you just have to get over the embarrassment of sounding of thinking you sound silly because the first thing that happens when you try to speak in a higher register is you feel uncomfortable because you think you sound like mini mouse or you know, like somebody like trying to portray a female voice. But that kind of uncomfort you have to just kind of like work through that because the more that you do, the easier it becomes, and the more relaxed it becomes. And I remember when I first found you have to really find your voice first. And I've talked about this a lot, and I used the Deep Stealth, I used their Femini Finding your Female Voice videos.
Speaker 4: You can find them on YouTube, and I use those. Yeah, there's a lot on tiktoks there is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But once you find your female voice and you know what that register is, you have to practice in it for a while. But then I would say after it's just like if you're trying to improve your posture, if you're trying to improve a habit or anything like that, it kind of naturally like becomes normal for you, if that makes sense. So like after I would say like three or four weeks of trying to talk consistently and that register, it starts to feel a little bit more relaxed and like you're not really like forcing yourself. It starts to feel a little bit more natural. So it just takes practice. I say, do it at night, do it in the mirror, do it whenever you're alone.
Speaker 4: That's what I did.
Speaker 3: Anytime I was alone, I was just practicing my voice. I would just recite to myself, this is the voice that I want to use. This is the voice, and you know, over and over again. But again, I don't think that trans women should feel pressured to improve their voice because it is something that is very difficult to do, and I think that is like a part that needs to be acknowledged about it too. I'm pursuing vocal feminization surgery for myself. I'm having I have a consultation on April first, April Fool's.
Speaker 4: Day for some reason.
Speaker 3: And you know, even with vocal feminization surgery, you still have to do vocal training after that fact. So if you want to feminize your voice, there is no way, there is no avoiding vocal training. If you don't want to feminize your voice, then I say more power to you, because quite honestly, you sound pretty like I would say androge like kind of like like in the middle of those two registers already. I don't think finding like increasing your pitch would be that much harder.
Speaker 2: But I sorry, yeah, go ahead. I have a few suggestions. One, get yourself on.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Two if you don't want to do that, well, I gotta be honest. I uh fucking hate vocal training. It's something that makes me really really really really really mad. I don't really like this is about to be me getting like genuinely vulnerable. But I don't really like listening to my voice at all, which sucks because like I make music and sing and have.
Speaker 4: A show and I have to hear it quite a lot.
Speaker 2: Just the other day, I was trying to like find like a clip for the show to like make like like a TikTok or like Instagram reeal with, and I got really sad listening to myself because I also work in the service industry and I speak a lot to customers, and it's the kind of thing that, like it makes me really upset because like, I know I look good, like I know I do yes, and I feel like content with where I'm like at in my like gender transition. Like there's certainly some other stuff that I would like to do, but nothing that like keeps me up at night, like, oh, I wish I was this, I wish I was that. Like no, I'm like happy, and it took a long time to like get here, but I am genuinely like happy with who I am. And the thing is, like I I think that if there wasn't this like extra kind of element of like because your voice is like how you're perceived, you know, so like I I don't mind like my voice like to like I know, I just said it bothers me, but it bothers me because I hear what other people are hearing, and that's what bothers me. I think with no added like stimuli, I'm fine with my voice. I think I sound cool, like I think I like. I think I sound cool, Like I like the way I talk, I like the way like I'm I'm happy with it. But I've tried vocal training a lot because I don't want to get fucking clocked all the time.
Speaker 4: I hate getting clocked on the phone.
Speaker 2: I get yes sired all the time on the phone all the time at drive throughs, and it happens at work all the time too, And I feel like it's like absurd because like I look like a girl in every conceived a way.
Speaker 4: But there's just that.
Speaker 2: Little thing that's off that makes people who are fucking stupid just misgender me. And it sucks. And there's nothing I don't know. I've tried a lot, and I want I want to do better and to be honest, like I do. I do kind of use like a customer register. Yeah, I have. I have a good like customer service voice. But like when I'm like hanging out like this, yeah, this is how I talk like on the show, Like this is like more or less how I talk like outside of you know, in any situation.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I don't really have like much advice. Really. I've heard other people say that you should just like talk, Yeah, like Carbon said, like just just talk a lot, just practice, just feel around with it definitely, like watch videos like see like what.
Speaker 4: You uh, because there is like a certain you know method to it, certain like breathing. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And the thing that frustrates me is that like I know all that stuff and I still am not that good at it, and I feel like it it just requires like a level of discipline that like it. It makes me really really sad, honestly, it makes me really upset, Like thinking about it.
Speaker 3: I will say like yes to acknowledge all that. Yeah, like that's all very real and it's very very difficult to practice, and it is discouraging because yeah, it's it's difficult.
Speaker 4: But then the.
Speaker 3: I guess for me why I had such an easy time with it is because I was just stuck at home. You know, I was sixteen fifteen, stuck at home the middle of Lawrenceville, and it was the one thing that I saw that I it was like the only thing in my life that I had any control over at that time, you know what I mean. So I just really really really honed in on that. But then I will say, like my voice, like you know, even when I'm talking on the pod, I do kind of talking a slightly higher register than I normally do because you know, I can kind of talk a little more relaxed, a little more vocal fry and stuff like that. And like when I'm on the phone with my friends and stuff, we're just hanging out, you know, that's how I talk. But it's it's one of those it's it's just one of those kind of realities of being trans is like it's just yeah, it's like do you voice train or do you not? And you know there's pros and cons. Obviously a big motivating factor for me was, yeah, I worked, I worked in retail and I worked, yeah, and I wanted to like stop getting clocked and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: And so see, the thing is like, if no one would ever clock me from my voice, I wouldn't vocal train because I don't really I don't really care that much. Like it's not it's not something that personally gives me dysphoria. It's just that I know that like the way I present, like there was so many things that did give me dysphoria, like having facial hair, and then I got laser you know, done, Like it's over, Like I feel a lot better.
Speaker 4: Good for you, d This is something that, yeah, thank you.
Speaker 2: This is something that like you have to like work at more a lot more than any of those other things. And it's also something that like some people are really really good at and then some people are not, and I'm just fucking not good at it.
Speaker 4: I'm just not that good at it.
Speaker 3: And well I just want you know, when I hear you talk, Janie, I hear Janie and I don't hear anything else and you sound like a woman to me. You sound like a California stoner lesbian to me.
Speaker 2: A lot of people say I sound like I'm from California.
Speaker 3: You do have like a California kind of like vocal fry, kind of like valley girl kind of like like you just sound a skater girl to me.
Speaker 2: You know, it's because I literally am stupid. Gag me with a spoo oh and also also the second part of your question. I also so don't think that like it's like necessary I have. I have a I hang out with a lot of friends that have quite clocky and honestly, I think it's kind of cool. Like it's definitely one of those things that like when you see like a trans girl who's like looks really really sexy cunty and then she's got like that kind of like clocky voice, like it's.
Speaker 4: Like cool, like, oh yeah, I can hang with her. Yeah yeah, you don't. You don't have to like take it to I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, you don't always have to like walk around like trying to be like like just you know, like find out like like even if you just like because this isn't how like I talked like when I was like presenting like mail. You know it, I did, I did. I did change it to a degree. But that's what like, that's like what I'm saying, Like, I changed it to the degree that like made me happy. And even if it's not like the degree that's like mega passoid, you know, always getting gendered correctly everywhere, it still is the degree that makes me personally like I think it's cool, Like I think I sound cool. So I guess at the end of the day, I damn, I just kind of therapied myself because yeah, I think that is something that that will make you feel better, is if you just remember, like, Okay, even if I'm not like one hundred percent passing, I'm out of part that you're making progress where I sound cool. Yeah, I'm where I'm like happy. Exactly if people misgenders me, I'm gonna punch him in the time, do a chair and pull all their teeth out, exactly. That's all that That's all that's gonna happen. The other simple is that the other.
Speaker 3: Thing I was gonna say too that helped me a lot was female finding female vocalists that I like felt like I could emulate their voice, you know, So like I always go for Share, I always go for Madonna, I always go for Gwen Stefani because they tend to have like a slightly deeper kind of voice than like, you know, like fucking pan pink Pants thrusts or something like that. You know, like they have like a lower register. And so I would find myself when I was really young, singing along to these songs and trying to like match the register.
Speaker 2: You know, Christina who Christina Aguilo. No, that's a fucking fergie. Miley has, Like Miley Cyrus has like a fucking class She like a guy. Yeah, yeah, she's like she's like clocked up for real. She really does have like the most like clockystis woman. For there's people that like, there's like trans people that have been like transvestigating her, thinking that she's like on tea.
Speaker 4: I'm not kidding, she'd be cool. I love that.
Speaker 3: I love when trans people start transvestigating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love when I love I love trans behavior, trans people behaving in a totally normal fashion exactly.
Speaker 3: It's my favorite thing. You know, So yeah, you know, do it if you want, fuck it if you don't, and you know, do it. Do what makes you happy, girl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of a lot of trans advice just inevitably does come back to like do what makes you happy, period, And there is kind of a The shitty thing about being trans is that there is kind you are kind of pulled between the worlds of like me making myself happy, doing something for myself, and then we live in a society other people, Yeah, and then living in a society that like thanks your like crazy, you're stupid, and like having that perception of you, and you just kind of have to like balance out, like I don't know, it's it's like building. It's like making a build in like a like Skyrim. Got everything comes back to Skyrim because because Sky, because Skyrim's a simulation of the world we live in today, we live we are Skyrim. Where could you believe it?
Speaker 3: But yeah, I think we thoroughly handled our guest question there. We hope you enjoyed this week's interview. We hope you enjoyed this week's voice. Please give us a call at our phone number.
Speaker 2: Yes, call into Beauty translated at six seven eight five six one two seven eighty five for whatever problems you have. We'll make the moorse. That's six seven eight five six, one two, seven eighty five. Also just like go on Instagram or something if you uh, forgot yeah, or if you.
Speaker 3: Can't make it, if you're not able to make an international call, you can always drop us a voice note on the Beauty Translated Instagram in our DMS.
Speaker 4: Yeah, leave us a comment.
Speaker 2: Do whatever you know, if you if you make sure, if you send a message, and if you tape, if you tie a message to a brick and throw it through my window, I'll answer it on the show.
Speaker 3: Well, Jamie's address is. But yeah, thanks for listening to this week's episode, y'all. Next week we're very excited to be speaking with director of the People's Joker and friend of the podcast, Vera Drew Vera, Drew Vera, Drew Vera.
Speaker 2: Drew Vera, People's Joker, People's.
Speaker 4: People's Joker, Vera Drew.
Speaker 3: But yeah, thanks so much for listening, y'all, and stay beautiful and we'll.
Speaker 4: See you next week.
Speaker 3: Bye bye, by bye, Thank you for listening to Beauty Translated. Beauty Translated is hosted by me Carmen Laurent and Jamie Danger.
Speaker 2: Produced by Kurt Garon and Jess Crinchitch. So special thanks to Ali Perry and Ali Cancor. Our theme music is done by Aaron Kaufman and Beauty Translated is proud to be a part of the outspoken network from iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 3: For more iHeart podcasts, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcast