Speaker 1: Strap on the boots and scrape up the knuckles on ahead. He got jacked.
Speaker 2: This is the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert.
Speaker 3: Harry's gonna score touchdown slim to the ground by Buddha Baker like a torpedo.
Speaker 4: He came flying into the backfield.
Speaker 2: The Rage is brought to you by santan Ford and Gilbert right on the Price right on the corner of the Santan two to two Freeway in bal Vista Seek your Ticket to Great Seats and by Arizona Cardinals Podcast. Visit Azycardinals dot Com, Slash podcast, A.
Speaker 1: Red Seats, Rising ud.
Speaker 5: Jimp You, Rising Vision, Blurry Frage, take it over.
Speaker 4: Here's Paul CALVICI. I'm ready. I'm one hundred percent ready. I'm telling you I'm ready.
Speaker 2: And Ron Wookley, it doesn't get any better than that.
Speaker 4: All right, burn Gang, here we go. We see you. Let's hear from you out there. Come on now, right, I mean, Bolf, what all the coaches say in the game. We do this together.
Speaker 1: That's right, Paullie, we do it together right now. What's up, Red Sea.
Speaker 4: I say we're here to restore the roar on the Big Red Rage. How about that?
Speaker 1: Restore the roar, PAULI is that what you're going with? That's right?
Speaker 4: Let there be a live audience here a trophy and Chandler located on Queen Creek Road between Price and Dobson.
Speaker 1: We are back.
Speaker 4: We are back in front of the live crowd. We are here with a big time guest. In fact, no further ado here on the Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford and Gilbert Paul Kelvi's here, Ron Wolfley.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 4: You're familiar with this whole farm to table concept, right, Yes, I am, Bully. I know you're lying right now, but just go with me.
Speaker 1: You don't have any food, do you, Paul?
Speaker 4: So the whole we're thinking this is the football version of farm to table.
Speaker 1: Follow me here, okay from.
Speaker 4: The Niners end zone twice to this stage and on the Valley airways. Please help us. Welcome the rookie Sensation. Michael Wilson.
Speaker 1: Michael, how you doing, buddy?
Speaker 6: I'm doing well. I'm doing well. Thanks for having me. Nice to meet everyone here. Good to see the turnout. Appreciate you guys coming out. But I'm I feel great.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: Wolf likes to portray himself is busy during the football season, Okay, multiple duties. Nobody has had a crazier week than you, I'm guessing right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's been. It's it's been pretty wild. Honestly. I've had so many people reach out and just congratulate.
Speaker 6: Me on the two touchdowns and finally having sort of a breakout game, if you will. But I think it would have been more had we won. But uh, I think it's any anytime you can score a touchdown, especially your first career touchdown, it's special.
Speaker 5: And and people that.
Speaker 6: Know my journey and know my story and have been righting with me for a long time, they know how much it meant to me to be able to.
Speaker 5: Touch the end zone.
Speaker 6: So I got a lot of overwhelming support and reach out from a lot of people special to me.
Speaker 1: So, Michael, talk to us a little bit in regard to this season and how this is going for you, this NFL rookie season thing. Yeah, talk to me about this season and how you're feeling about yourself.
Speaker 6: I feel really really good. I feel like we're in a really good spot. Obviously, the record doesn't indicate that we're really happy with what we put forth, So far because it is a production based business, but it is a new staff. It's a completely different new team from last year. And I love the direction that the team is going in from the top down. I've said this in a lot of interviews that I've done since I've been here. Is jg MANI, the front office and the coaching staff have done an exceptional job of creating a communication line where everyone's in line in terms of the team is first and you are second. And I think you guys can see that out on the field and how guys play. We're playing for each other, We're playing for the organization. We're playing for our brother to the left and our right. And it's not about me scoring two touchdowns or me getting X amount of touches or Hollywood Brown getting X amount of touches. It's about doing the dirty work, making the blocks for James to spring him quarterback, making the right read and the open read, not just trying to force feed guys just because they want the ball.
Speaker 5: And so I think we're in a really good spot.
Speaker 6: And I think if we can continue to put on one foot in front of the other, you know, those win columns will start to turn in our favor.
Speaker 4: I mean, this was a team the Cardinals had got down twenty one to three at the forty nine Ers arguably the best team in the league. You came back to make it twenty one to sixteen early fourth quarter. The two losses before that were by a combined seven points. We know that, Wolf. So here's the head coach, Jonathan Gannon, just talking about the process and then ultimately, obviously you want the dub.
Speaker 7: I like the process that we're operating with, and I like their attitude. But we know what we need to do to win this next week, you know. And that's got to show up in practice and in the game because they're itching right now. You're one and three, you know what I mean. So, but that's in the past. You'll learn from it.
Speaker 4: Jonathan Gannon, right there, Wolf and I host his TV show every week, and we were talking the other day about there's a common denominator, a common thread between all the players on this roster. You better be serious about the game of football, right or you're not playing for JG and MONTI Austin Fort, would you agree with that?
Speaker 5: And kind of what I'm about to answer and is kind.
Speaker 6: Of alluded to what I previously stated about there being a unit like the front offices and complete unison about what type of guys they want to bring in. They want to bring in guys who are high character guys on and off the field, who really love the game of football and are going to do whatever it takes to make sure they're maximizing themselves and bringing out a high level in all aspects of life. And I think, like just from being in the league, I came from Stanford, so I was around a lot of guys who operated at a high level, just because to get into that school you have to do that. But the intent that the guys in our locker room have is at a whole other level than what I experienced in college. I mean, even guys who have been in the league for eight, nine, ten years, doing the same meetings, the same installs, they still have a notebook out in are taking notes. So everyone's doing a lot of things. JG talks about maximizing your potential, maximizing yourself, and I think our team has done a really good job since I got here doing that.
Speaker 1: So, Michael, do you know that Paul went to cal of course cal Berkeley. Did you know that.
Speaker 4: We wouldn't have brought that up until two years ago when we finally beat you after about twelve years. So you know, finally once again we can mention that anyway, Wolf go ahead.
Speaker 1: That up right there. I'll focus a little bit on the process. I've heard him talking about the process. What does he mean by the process?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so I think a lot of times in life and you can apply this.
Speaker 5: It doesn't have to just be football.
Speaker 6: Is you set goals and obviously that's the end goal, is to accomplish what you set out to do. But really the day to day or the process that he talks about is more important than the final result, because if you don't take care of the process of getting into the building, starting your day with a lift, eating the right things every single day, taking notes in the meeting room, getting out to practice, operating a high level of practice, recovering like every single thing, every decision that you make, and all those little decisions affects that outcome or can affect that outcome. And so when he says focus on the process, it's those little decisions that you make every day to help try to maximize yourself or doing the right things to help yield the result. That you want put you in the best position so that you can go out on Sunday and perform at your best.
Speaker 4: So the Cardinals beat the Dallas Cowboys, and the head coach, Jonathan Gannon, showed with us that they started the Monday meeting. Gannon, he started with a mistake he made. He held himself accountable in front of the team and with both the coordinators as well. What does that say to the team when the head coach is willing to hold accountable.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think that one that shows great leadership. And I was fortunate enough to take a bunch of different classes at Stanford of leadership and was actually a captain at Stanford. The one of the biggest things that shows what a true leader is is the ability to take accountability for your own actions or when you make mistakes. And so when you have a head coach that's able to say, hey, you know what, that's my bad. Maybe he didn't make a right call or he said he made some wrong decisions in the game, like that shows emotional maturity and it shows true leadership because he's confident in himself and is able to admit when he messes up.
Speaker 5: And I think and also put that on. Put that forth on.
Speaker 6: The coordinators too, like they're the ones that are operating the whole thing and driving the ship. And so when you get that type of disrespect as a man, it makes me respect him even more too, because that shows respect for us as well, that he's not just putting the finger at us and saying, well, we need you guys to do X, Y and Z. He says, hey, that's my bet. I could have put you guys in a better position to win the game. And it's gonna get changed from here now.
Speaker 5: So I love that.
Speaker 1: You know what's amazing about that. My old coach used to say that culture was the factory. Culture was the factory, and process was the product. Like you had this, you had the factory culture, this is who we are, this is what we're gonna do, and now process was put that culture into action, go do it and not just talk about it. Very cool to think about that, and JG. This this is a very physical team. When I listened to JG talk, when I listen to Mani Austin for talk about the game of football, it's like a warm blanket on a cold winter's night. Yeah, because it is hard. It's the harsh reality that it's a physical game. It's a it's a very violent game as a matter of fact, in between those white lines, and it's very physical. And you know what, there's a little bit of danger in it as well, if you better go out. It's it's a dangerous game played by dangerous people. That's what my old coach used to say all the time. Do you enjoy that? I do.
Speaker 6: I think you you have to enjoy that to be you do play at this level, you have to be able to be comfortable with stress, be able to be comfortable with playing through pain, be able to be comfortable with getting you know, the crap knocked out of eve and getting up and doing it again and coming back. And so I think that's one of the best parts about the game is just I just love to compete, and I love to be physical with people and and just see, you know, just the test of will against other people.
Speaker 1: My old coach used to say, there's two things you gotta do. Two things. You gotta give damage and you gotta chake damage. That's what you used to say. That's why I love the Garve. It really is. It's very cool.
Speaker 4: Guys have one thing in common I mean, we'll play ten years in the NFL as a pullback, right, went to four Pro Bowls, and you got your early reps as a blocker in the run game, right, So we'll talk about all that when we come back. Rookie Michael Wilson are very special guest here and the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert. We are santan Ford and we're coming at July from Trophy and Chandler located on Queen Creek Road between Price and Dobson. A single game tickets on sale now. Got Azycardinals dot com slash buy tickets to secure your seats today. Azycardinals dot Com slash buy tickets. By the way, Joe Burrow called it a must win game. The Cincinnati media, Oh, there's some extra intrigue. We come back on the Big Red Rage with Michael Wilson.
Speaker 3: Snapped it drops straight back to throw, looks left, throws into the end zone, got a receiver, a sliding catch by Wilson pays in for the touchdown. Michael Wilson with his first career NFL touchdown played at Stanford just down the road, and he comes up big here late in the first half shotgun formation for dobb snapped to Dop, drops back to Pat looks over the middle throws it is caught Wilson and he is into the end zone for a second touchdown on ninety nine and a half yard drive by the Cardinals against one of the top defenses in the NFL.
Speaker 1: What a great throw by Josh Dobbs. Threw that ball into a tight window right across the middle.
Speaker 4: Well, would you call a statement drive? Ninety nine and a half yards against one of the NFL's top defenses in their stadium.
Speaker 1: That was the high points offensively I think for this season.
Speaker 4: Ball, I mean that was And you know what I loved about that that touch down when I saw the replay is that ball would still be spinning like a top if it wasn't for Zach Pascal who scooped it up on your behalf Michael Wilson, as our guest, the guy in the business end of those two touchdowns at the game at the forty nine ers, you had seven catchers for seventy six yards of the two touchdowns. But first to comment on the spin, I mean, boom, you got some serious rotation on that.
Speaker 6: I took a shot on that play. So honestly, I didn't even know what was going on. I was in pain getting up, and I just, I guess I used my anger from.
Speaker 5: The guy that hit me and just put all the into the ball.
Speaker 1: So take us through that play if you don't mind, Michael, Like, what was your assignment on that play? Yeah?
Speaker 6: So, so the front side of the play was we're an empty and Hollywood Brown was the number two receiver into the short side of the field.
Speaker 5: He was running an out route.
Speaker 6: And the guy outside of him was running a go and so he's the number one prior or number one reading that progression.
Speaker 5: But they were in quarters but the border exactly.
Speaker 6: But they've twenty nine, who's a pretty good safety, Pro Bowl safety Kufunga. He understood that and knew that Hollywood was our go to guy in that scenario, so he kind of cut down on the on the out route that Hollywood was running. So that's why Josh got off that quickly and came backside to me. I had a basically a shallow and essentially it turns into match where the linebackers matched up on me and all I have to do is outrun him. And it was going to be a basically a two ball on me. I just got to make the catch, protect my body, and get in the end zone. And that's exactly how it played out.
Speaker 4: Do you subscribe to the theory that you know what, I'm going to get hit anyway, I might as well catch the ball.
Speaker 5: I knew I was going to take a shot.
Speaker 6: That's why I started to kind of spin a little bit as the ball was getting to me to protect my body. But Josh did a great job of putting the ball on me and not leading me into the hit. So he put the ball on me quick and I was able to just kind of body catch it and spin into the end zone.
Speaker 1: I love asking questions of rookies in regard to college and pro and contrasting, comparing and contrasting the two, especially at different positions wide receiver and then offensive line and maybe even a full back just a little bit different linebacker, different perspectives from your perspective as a wide receiver, Yeah, what are the differences between the college game and the pro game as you see?
Speaker 6: Yeah, So I think I can kind of dissect and answer that question from two sides. One is obviously the scheme that we have. I think everything in the NFL, like the timing matters so much more because guys are so much better. Right, So everything in our route scheme is off of footwork, something that I was never introduced to before I got to the Cardinals and how we operate. So for people that understand the game, like if I'm running a fifteen yard curw like in high school and college, okay, I'd run to about fifteen yards, I'd stop and I come back down to the quarterback. In the NFL, we have something built in called revolutions or rotations. So if we say run a fifteen yard curl, we're going off are the fifth time that your outside foot hits the ground, that's when you start to decelerate and run the crow route right. Everything is built in, Like if we're running an out route, it's off your third inside step. In college, it was just run at ten yards, and so when I get about ten yards, then I put my foot in the ground and running out route right, everything has with seams and bursts like this, the route nuance matters so much more than details matter so much more because the timing matters so much in the NFL, like you damn near every catches a contested catch and if it's not, you have guys draped up on the back you. So that's why it's important to master the rotation and revolution system within our scheme. And then the other side of it is the difference between college and the NFL is just guys are better and guys play harder.
Speaker 5: I think that's really the big difference is.
Speaker 6: Especially playing in the PAC twelve, you might have on a given Saturday maybe five, five or six guys and that's pushing it. Sometimes that can actually play in the NFL that have NFL talent, Like in the league now, it's I'm planning against a real dude or a real grown man every single week.
Speaker 5: So you have to be at you have to operate at.
Speaker 6: The highest level day in and day out, because there's no room to have bad days or consistent bad days, like you have to operate at such a high level because everyone else is doing that and guys are too talented. Right, I'm not a guy that runs a four to three or four to two and has a forty five inch vertical, So my edge is I have to be perfect with running routes, with catching the football, with how I show up every day and how I articulate myself and that's what gives me the edge because I can't just fall back and rely on straight athleticism because that's that's not my game.
Speaker 5: It never has been.
Speaker 6: So you just have to kind of find what you're you're blessed with and really capitalize that and use that to the best of your ability so that you can't stick and last in the league.
Speaker 1: So you're more brained. And Paulie went to cal once again, just stop and my hashtag is no math. But you're right.
Speaker 4: You go from the one percent of football players in college to the point one percent you're competing. It's now in the NFL and one of the best to do it ever, Larry Fitzgerald. Well find out if you saw this. Darren Urban did a bit nice great profile Michael Wilson Azycardinals dot Com. Here's the quote from fits on what he's seen through four games.
Speaker 5: Quote.
Speaker 4: He's shown toughness catching balls, has precision route running as a young player, which is impressive. You can tell Dobbs trust him, which is the ultimate right. You got to get the trust of your quarterback. In fact, on the Dave Pash Podcast this week, here's Josh Dobbs talking to Dave about Michael Wilson.
Speaker 8: The relationship has been awesome, Like he's been a guy since the day I got here. I think he was probably the first guy that came up and introduced himself in the lunch room right when I walked in. But he's always you know, picking my brain from a QB perspective of hey, like what can I do better? Or hey, let's get an extra rep on this, and then from there, you know, he's just so locked into the game plan and always you know, doing the right things exactly where he needs to be. Obviously, he's a great dude off the field.
Speaker 4: Here's the stat that says it all. When Josh Dobbs has targeted the rookie Michael Wilson, they're fourteen to sixteen for two thirty seven, two touchdowns, no picks, and a perfect passer rating pretty good of one point fifty eight point three. And here's my question, we've seen it, what's the upside Because we've seen Josh Dopps just get better, Like he had never started three games in a row, never started four games in a row, he still only started six games in his seven year career. I'm just curious how much potential is left.
Speaker 5: I think a lot.
Speaker 6: I think you can never put a ceiling on a guy that operates like he does. I've and I kind of stole that saying from Jim Nagy who said that about Jalen hurt coming out. I've been able to build a sort of a relationship with Jim Nage, who's the director of the Senior Bowl, and he put out a tweet or he said something and I could I'm paraphrasing, but a lot of the NFL wasn't super high on Jalen Hurts. But he differed on that opinion because he said, you can never put a ceiling or a cap on a guy who's got an exceptional personality and is willing to do whatever it takes to maximize himself. And I think Josh parallels. I'm not saying he's Jalen Hurts and I'm not They're completely different, but in terms of his approach to the game, like he does every literally everything right. And I said, if you gave him one hundred things to do to get work on and get better, like he's going.
Speaker 5: To take advantage of all one hundred and try and look for more.
Speaker 6: And so I think when you're dealing with someone like that who loves the game and wants to be great and does whatever it takes and puts in the work and goes about things the right way. Like, it's no surprise to me that he has success and is going to continue to have success.
Speaker 4: I mean he was an SEC quarterback and all timer and he got an aerospace engineering degree. Yeah, at the same time exactly does internships at NASA in the off season. And here's what Josh Dodds told Dave about just the first time he kind of realized who you were as a player he was watching film.
Speaker 8: It's been tremendous in his growth. Like watching some of the camp film and just watching him was like, who's this dude, and like, Oh, that's that's the rookie. I was like, Wow, he looks like a second third year player already. Yeah, and so he'll continue to grow and improve. Man, But he's been awesome and so I'm excited for him in his career.
Speaker 4: How essential is that to earn the trust to your quarterback. I mean as a receiver, that's where it all starts.
Speaker 6: I would imagine, I think trust, Yeah, trust is everything.
Speaker 5: And to hear him say that.
Speaker 6: Makes my day, truthfully, because that was when I first got drafted by the Cardinals, and I did an interview like my introduction interview.
Speaker 5: All the rookies did.
Speaker 6: It like that was my pretty much my main and only goal was to come in Like I didn't said, I want to have X amount of yards and X amount of catches and this many touchdowns and I want to be a starting receiver, and I want to accomplish all these things. Like my singular focus was to earn the trust of my teammates, coaches, the front office, everyone in the organization.
Speaker 5: Because without trust, you have nothing.
Speaker 6: In any walk of life, whether that's a relationship, whether that's daily work, business friendships. Trust is everything and everything builds off of trust. And so for him to say that that means a lot. But I think I think I've taken advantage of the opportunities I've had with him by staying with him after practice and working on certain routes if we missed on a route in practice or playing practice, asking him about his footwork so I know how much time I have at the line of scrimmage on that particular release or a route. So just being a sponge and acting like a rookie and probably asking him too many questions, even if I sound.
Speaker 5: You know what I mean, just picking his brain a lot.
Speaker 6: But uh yeah, we've built a great chemistry and I I love playing with Josh.
Speaker 5: I absolutely love playing with him.
Speaker 1: Michael, how many routes do you run that are read routes?
Speaker 5: That are read routes?
Speaker 1: Yes, where you're actually reading coverage running it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, in the game plan.
Speaker 6: So if I run thirty routes, say that, give or take thirty routes in a game, maybe five to eight of them will be read routes.
Speaker 1: Yes, Okay, that's very very interesting. Do you like that? Do you like the read route?
Speaker 6: I do, because I think if you prepare the right way and have a fast thinking brain, you technically can't.
Speaker 5: Be wrong if you have a read route.
Speaker 1: But it's a lot of responsibility because you've got to read what the quarterback is reading.
Speaker 6: So, for example, there was a play on third down that I think it was third and seven. I caught an out route from Josh. Yeah, in the fourth quarter. I think it was on our second to last drive.
Speaker 5: So that was a read route.
Speaker 6: It was called Z choice, and so in practice we actually rant called that play twice in practice and missed both times because I was coming off the ball too slow and not making decision quick enough.
Speaker 5: That matched up with Josh's footwork.
Speaker 6: And so when I talk about meeting with him after practice and wrapping that after practice, like we ironed out all those wrinkles and it worked in the game right. Like I broke, I took too much time in practice. He got off me and came back later and I was like, hey, man, I need you to to be a little quicker because I'd like my footwork. I'm waiting on my back foot too long. If you're taking that long, I'm just going to move off. And so in the in the game, it just worked out perfectly. Conferred on that third down.
Speaker 4: By the way, were you aware of how fast your quarterback is? I've had about a half dozen guys say they had no idea how fast Josh Dobbs was because he didn't run in practice, and then when they saw him takeoff in the game, they're like, no, no, no, no, no, don't run, don't leave them.
Speaker 1: Oh wait a.
Speaker 4: Minute, Yeah, you could really run.
Speaker 6: I think, honestly, he might be faster than one of our fastest receivers. Rondeo more because and we've been giving crap to Rondelo because on Ronde's fifty yard touchdown against the Cowboys, Yeah, he ran nineteen point four Miles Brower.
Speaker 5: And then on Josh.
Speaker 4: Dobbs it's a forty four y.
Speaker 6: Four yard run, he ran nineteen point eight, so he actually ran faster than one of our fastest receivers.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, that's good stuff. That's uh. By the way, how's it feel to be a Stanford guy and not be the smartest guy in the room, Michael, you know, because you know Astro Dobbs that's his nickname, the past or not. You know, you and Zach Ertz and Drew Terrell, your receivers coach, I mean even Rondell Moore who got his degree in two and a half years per due engineering. I'm sorry, you know, Josh Dobbs is the big bring guy. I hope you guys can handle that, that ego blow. You guys are good with that, right, Yeah, I'm good with that. Good, good with that?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 4: I just want to make sure, by the way, Speaking of episode sixty five of the Day Fash podcast featuring Cardinals quarterback Josh Dobbs some great stuff talking about going into space. It's available now your preferred podcast provider and get all the latest up days via Twitter app hash pod. Once again, it is the Big Red Rage. We are live from Trophy and Chandler located on Queen Creek Road between Price and Dobson. The rookie Michael Wilson is our guest. We'll get into the draft and the Senior Bowl. How critical that was. The big Red rage was that of Isy santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 1: Post Corner bootsman Zada, Hush pushman Zo. I butchered that one too. I don't care. I'm gonna butcher it. Pushman Zada rhymes with push hooks, push, push, hush.
Speaker 4: Just say TJ, Just say TJ.
Speaker 1: I'll say hushman Zada for hootsman Zada, pushman Zada.
Speaker 4: Oh, then that was off their wolf. You gotta keep your head on a swivel with executive producer Jim mo Monro, He's rolling on everything and they'll come back to haunt you. Even from two thousand and seven at Cincinnati when during the commercial break you're trying to perfect the pronunciation. Michael Wilson should know because TJ. Puschman Zada, Yes, was your mentor for how many years?
Speaker 1: Right? Three?
Speaker 5: Four years? Now?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 4: Okay, it's a big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert. Our special guest, the third round rookie Michael Wilson. All right, we're live from Trophy and Chandler, located on Queen Creek Road between Price and Dobson and t J. Huschman Zada. For those not familiar, Oregon state seventh round pick played eleven years, went to a Pro Bowl. I mean, you talk about the making the most out of a career, who cares where you're drafted? I mean he could play, played on some great teams, but give us a quick recap what he did for you in your career.
Speaker 5: He did a lot.
Speaker 6: I mean, so we started training together COVID when I was at when we all got sent home and because Stanford was so strict with their policies, especially in Santa Clair County. I mean, we got sent home from February to March, sorry, February of twenty twenty to July isho of twenty twenty, so we were home for like four or five months, and I started training with him in May and I drove fifty six miles one way, just one way to go train with him every single day, five days a week in La I'm from the suburbs, so I would make that trip out every single day.
Speaker 5: And he did really two things for me. One, I think he.
Speaker 6: Gave me a lot of tools and tips and understanding how to win at the line of scrimmage, which I had no idea how to do, like really understand how to win at the line of scrimmage with my releases and route running and things like that. But I think the other thing he did was and more importantly what he did was he gave me confidence because he believed in me. And I think anytime that someone who has done what you wanted to do or done what you're aspiring to do, sure, and was one of the greats at during his time, like picks me out and says, hey, you can be X, Y and Z, Like I believe in you, you can be one of the best receivers in college football.
Speaker 5: And he would tell me that.
Speaker 6: Dan there every single day, and so you're a product to your environment who you hang out with, and we spent so much time together, like I started to really believe that and I'm not sure that I truly did before I got with him that I actually could be one of the best. And I think just him instilling that confidence in me, paired with the route running and the releases that he taught me, like it was only a matter of time before the world or the.
Speaker 5: Football world would recognize what he recognized.
Speaker 6: And it took a while, because I mean, so that was a twenty twenty I missed my whole junior year, so everything we worked on, I wasn't able to show. I missed my entire senior year with everything we worked on, I wasn't able to show. And then my fifth year I came back for a fifth year at Stanford and every single weekend I would fly home during the offseason to go train with Every single weekend, every single weekend, I would fly home. It's a forty five minute flight, so I bought my flights ahead of time because I was living on the college stiphen so I would buy a flight every single weekend.
Speaker 5: I would come.
Speaker 6: Home, leave Friday night, train with him Saturday, and fly back Sunday morning.
Speaker 5: Every single weekend during the off season.
Speaker 6: And it wasn't until like a lot of times, we hear in life that the work that you're putting into a business to whatever endeavor that you're in, like you might not know when your time is coming for people to recognize and people to respect what you've been doing. And that's really what I wanted for a long time, is just to be recognized and respected for what I was doing, because I feel.
Speaker 5: Like I didn't have that.
Speaker 1: Michael, I'm sorry and I'm sorry.
Speaker 6: And so the Senior Bowl that was sort of my my time, my coming out party.
Speaker 4: So because you had injuries three years in a row. Yeah, right, you're on only fourteen games of tape if I saw that correctly.
Speaker 5: So season season ending injury and your senior and my fig ure.
Speaker 1: Wow, who tipped you off to TJ? Hushmanzana who sold?
Speaker 6: So my high school receiver coach, Jerome Riley, played at Washington State, so him and TJ are separated by a year or two. Okay, So when my high school receiver coach was entering the combine and going through the whole draft process, he was training with TJ.
Speaker 5: And Chad Johnson. So that's how I got interested.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very cool.
Speaker 4: So in June, Darren Irvan got a hold of TJ. Hushmanzada and he did a story on Michael Wilson and he told the story that before the Senior Bowl, he told Michael, he said, listen, I'm going to get you into the Senior Bowl and I'm going to guarantee them, Jim Naggy and the guys who run that he'll be the best receiver there. I'm gonna put my name on it, and I guarante, bleeping tu you will be drafted in the second or third round. That's what he said, he told you. And then on draft day, right draft weekend, here's the phone call from the war room. This is Mantias Sapport and owner Michael biddy Well, the call to Michael Wilson after he was the third round selection.
Speaker 5: Hello this Michael. Yes, this is Michael.
Speaker 9: Hey Michael, this is Monte asa Fort, the GM at the Ears on the Cardinals.
Speaker 1: How you doing? But what's going?
Speaker 5: I'm doing well?
Speaker 1: How you doing? I'm good? I'm good. Where are you at right now?
Speaker 5: I'm just at home in seen the Valley. I just got family and friends here, family and friends.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 9: Well, yeah, sir Michael, You're about to have some good news for him. Buddy, all right, we're on the clock right now. We're about to make you in airs on a cardinal.
Speaker 7: Ah.
Speaker 1: Man, that's exciting.
Speaker 7: Man, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Hey, hey, we like everything you're about.
Speaker 9: Okay, you're physical, you know how to run rounde you catch the ball.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is an exciting night for you and your family.
Speaker 4: All right, Michael, congratulations, Thank you so much.
Speaker 5: I promise I just you just guys got to steal the draft.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for taking me. We think we got to steal the draft too.
Speaker 4: Do you get emotion just listening to that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I do.
Speaker 6: I do, honestly good chills every time I I come across the video on my camera or just hearing it.
Speaker 5: Now, that was.
Speaker 6: Probably one of the best days if that was probably the best day of my life.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 6: And it was just a raw emotion day because I had the people that were closer.
Speaker 5: To me all day and everyone was just crying and stuff.
Speaker 4: So here's what's amazing. He had the two touchdown game right at the forty nine ers, and there was a scout in an NFL scout who tweeted out he wasn't surprised because at the Senior Bowl there were two receivers who bawled out Michael Wilson and Puka Nikua and think about what he's doing for the Rams right now.
Speaker 6: And funny thing is, so me and Puka did our combine training together with TJ.
Speaker 1: So TJ was involved in that as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Wow, Me and Puka had had the same strength and conditioning coach that did all our forty times and our explosive jumps and weight training, and then we would train with TJ for receiver work.
Speaker 4: But to you, that Senior Bowl, I mean, your football future was hanging in the balance, right for sure. You sort of treated that like a Super Bowl for you in.
Speaker 6: Your career one hundred percent because and I knew this, Like I think one of the things that I do a really good job is I'm really self aware, so I can I don't have unrealistic confidence. And I know, like if you were to give me a sheet removing myself from the situation of the stats that the receivers had all there, like I would have been the outlier. And some people said when when I would talk to other people that I was training with, they'd ask me, are you going to a Senior bol And I say, I'm going to the recent Senior Bol, and they'd kind of look at me and be like, you're going to the recent Senior Bol. I'm like, yeah, I'm going to the recent Senia Bol. But a lot of people were surprised that I got that invite right and probably didn't think I deserve to be there and that, and that's fair on their point because I didn't have the stats per se to back up that invite. But what I did have was a lot of people who were around me, from people at Stanford, from TJ, from my agent, who knew that.
Speaker 5: I possessed the capabilities.
Speaker 6: I just had a string of bad luck with injury and wasn't able to show what I was capable of. But I treated that moment like my I was pretty much told I was going to be sixth to seventh round free to undrafted free agent coming out in December of twenty twenty two, and so I and I didn't want to go that route because I know being undrafted is hard in the NFL, and a lot of it lies in luck with other guys getting hurt and you finding the perfect system. And so I treated that thing like my life. My whole life dependent on it, and it paid off.
Speaker 1: Here's the one thing I want to say to everybody that is listening right now. This guy right here, Michael Wilson, in my opinion, is just scratching the surface of where he's going to be because, honestly, his humility. Do you hear his humility when he speaks. His humility will allow him to look at himself and say, this is where I need to get better. When you say yourself aware, that's what I think of I think of humility and what it does for a person to allow you to look at yourself in a critical kind of way and say I need to get better at this. There are a lot of guys and you're going to experience this, Michael. If you're ten, twelve years, fourteen years, however long you play in this league, you're going to come across teammates who don't want you to look at where they need to get better. They just want to focus on where they're good. Look over here, look over here. And because of that, your humility will really give you an advantage in getting better. Is never lose that I just key, and I can tell you already had that, don't.
Speaker 5: You, Yes, sir, I do, Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, that's well said by both of you. That's really well done. And I heard you say, Michael, the fact that you came out of college at age twenty three instead of twenty one, actually, in hindsight maybe might have been a bit of a benefit.
Speaker 5: I think so. Yeah, So I was. I just kind of thought about that when I had.
Speaker 6: An interview with someone and they said Larry Fitz came out at twenty. Yeah, and a lot of guys in that I've known in the NFL that come out at twenty And I think, god, I wouldn't have been ready to perform. Not only physically was I not ready at twenty or twenty one, but I think mentally emotionally, I wasn't ready to really really capitalize on the opportunity that I had. Because I think there's a big difference, and I think we all can agree from twenty to twenty three or twenty one to twenty three, like.
Speaker 5: That's a huge difference.
Speaker 6: Like you go through to a lot of stuff from twenty to twenty three in terms of just being emotionally mature and having been through different things, how to handle stress, how to articulate myself, how to be punctual, how to operate at a high level with people that are way older than me.
Speaker 5: I would not have been ready for that.
Speaker 6: And it's not like I was just some you know, some dude like I was at Stanford, which is a pretty prestigious school.
Speaker 5: But I would not have been ready.
Speaker 6: And so I'm honestly, in hindsight, I'm thankful that I probably got hurt my junior senior in fifth year because I don't know that i'd have the same success and i'd be ready for the moment because in the NFL, it's quick.
Speaker 5: It's a production based business.
Speaker 6: Like one or two bad games as a rookie, and that can kind of staple an opinion that the fans have of you or the building has on you. So you have to be ready to capitalize on every moment, especially as a young player when you don't have a huge sample size of games, Like if I played four games, so that that's my resume right now.
Speaker 5: So I can't afford to not.
Speaker 6: Operate at a high level and do all the little things that are going to give me the best chance to perform on Sunday.
Speaker 4: And by age thirty three, Larry Fitzgerald was tackling wolf repeatedly a training camp, So you know there's there's that kind of thing that was going on.
Speaker 1: I'm a could never trust a guy from the pit.
Speaker 4: See it's the West Virginia pit thing between the two of them. That's how that works, Michael. So I'll tell you what I want to get in a little bit this opponent. And I know how you've impressed the coaches learning multiple positions, right, But Wolf, I know you want to ask him too, just about the blocking because remember in preseason we were talking to Jonathan Gannon. Yeah, and what was the first thing you mentioned his performance, right, and what he put on film. It's of the preseason games. It's right, that was a single game. Tickets on sale now. Go to Easycardinals dot com slash buy tickets, secure your seats today. Michael Wilson, the third round rookie out of Stanford, is our guest. Two touchdown catches against the forty nine ers coming at July from Trophy and Chandler. It's the Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford and Gilbert. We are Santan.
Speaker 3: Forward snap to Murray, short set looks, takes off straight ahead. He's got the thirty five cuts right to the thirty lose to the twenty five to twenty hand down to the fifteen yard line. Back to pass goes Murray from the pocket, steps up to run after twenty five over the middle twenty fifteen to ten, calling out for blockers.
Speaker 1: Did you see the Jets in the pants from Kyler Murray? Wow?
Speaker 3: Murray takes handoff Johnson up the middle. Now it's a fake. Murray keats at running left on a five and Murray dives but a touchdown. What an incredible fake by Kyler Murray. He not only got the Bengals, he got the.
Speaker 1: Broadcaster speed kills baby, right.
Speaker 4: So there you go at Kyler Murray montage at Cincinnati twenty nineteen, otherwise known as Kyler's first NFL win twenty six to twenty three. Wolf as you know you called every single game, every single snap. He was the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year. Two more Pro Bowls after that. He is coming back currently from the torn acl and meniscus. It is the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert. We are live from Trophy and Chandler with Michael Wilson, the third round rookie receiver, coming off a two touchdown game at the forty nine ers. Look, Josh Dobbs has knocked it out of the park. But how curious are you to see what it's like to play with Kyler Murray.
Speaker 5: I'm very, very curious.
Speaker 6: And I was a big fan of him when I was a freshman in college and he was winning the Heisman Trophy, right, and I was looking at him like he was like a higher being because.
Speaker 5: He was so good at football.
Speaker 6: And now that I'm in the same building able to just be around him on a day to day people, the receivers that told me like playing with Kyler special because he's able to do things that not many NFL quarterbacks are just capable of doing in terms of arm strength, in terms of extending to play, in terms of just reading defenses and stuff like that. And so I'm extremely excited to play because you don't win the Heisman Trophy and get drafted number one overall and sign a big contract for nothing, like you have to be special on what you do to be able to do that, and so I'm really excited.
Speaker 1: What about his rehab right now? You've just seen him. Actually, I'm sure we're in the weight room right or maybe going out pulling the slid and outside. How does he look right now? Does he look like he's getting better?
Speaker 5: He looks great.
Speaker 6: Honestly, he looks like he'd be trying out for Iron Man or something. That dude is freaking jack right now. He looks really really good, looks a great physical shape in terms of low body fat percentage. Is like, he just looks the part right now, and he looks and has a great energy and feel, and you could tell he's really really excited and ain'xious to get back with everyone.
Speaker 4: You know who doesn't look good. The Cincinnati Bengals, Oh boy, they are the lowest scoring team in the NFL. They have the thirty first ranked run defense. Yeah, there's some macrimony in the locker room after they got Jack stopped by Derrick Henry and Tennessee the veteran nose tackle called out the second half defense. Guy's not willing to put their bodies on the line to make the tackle.
Speaker 1: Demoralizing when you cannot stop the other team from cramming it down your throat.
Speaker 4: That's right, you want to cram it. Vertical game, This might be it. Here's Josh Dobbs on facing this Bengals defense it's or lack thereof.
Speaker 8: We got to do our job, and we're going against their defense, which is a strong, stout group that can be aggressive, try to get you behind the sticks, and so you know, it comes down to execution. We go out and they're gonna throw a lot of looks at us on different downs and we have to have answers and be able to execute and stay out of the sticks.
Speaker 4: Then again, this is a team that won a road playoff game each of the last two years at KC at Buffalo. They've been to THEFCU Championship game each of the last two years. So you want to make sure this isn't a get right game for Cincinnati right one.
Speaker 6: And I think you mentioned it and JG mentioned it in the meeting, like this is not a team to take lightly because they are one of the more talent even though their record might not indicate that they're a good football team right now if you're just looking at us obviously on the sheet, but they are one of the more talented teams in the NFL in terms of x's and o's, in terms of having an elite quarterback, elite wide receivers, They've got a solid defensive line, a solid front seven, and they know how to win football games because they were playing in the Super Bowl two years ago, they were playing ANFC championship less than a year ago. So they're a really good team and they're not someone to take lightly. And on the flip side of it, they're probably looking at us and saying, hey, this is a get right game for us, right, Like Joe Burrow you mentioned earlier, he said, this is a must win for us. So we're preparing like we're getting their best shot because we are.
Speaker 5: We're gonna get their best shot. And they're definitely not a team to take lightly.
Speaker 4: He's the highest paid player in the game, and you don't want this to be the game where he finally figures it out and the cap is intact. All right, Michael, I can't tell you, for speaking for everyone year, how much we enjoyed it. Michael Wilson, the third round rookie year. On this edition of The Big Red Rage, presented by Santan Ford and Gilbert Live from Trophy and Chandler Cardinals and Bengals on Sunday, it'll be the alternate black uniforms as well, so that'll be a great look here.
Speaker 1: We go Special.
Speaker 4: Thanks to everyone including Jim, i'm monro, Cody Fincher, Lauren Coble. That is the Big Red Range.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford and Gilbert right on the Price, right on the corner of the Santan two to two Freeway in Valvesta.
Speaker 1: The Rage is brought to you by.
Speaker 2: Seat Geek your ticket to Great Seats, and by Arizona Cardinals Podcast Visit azcardinals dot com Slash podcast. This has been an exclusive presentation of the Arizona Cardinals football Club