Speaker 1: Welcome back to she Pivots. I'm Amanda Calabrese.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to she Pivots, the podcast where women share bold career moves and personal turning points that changed everything.
Speaker 3: I'm your host, Emily Tish Sussman.
Speaker 2: Picture a middle school aged girl at a swim meet in a bathing suit, preparing for the big race. Her period just started that morning, She's never used a tampon, and the team captain tells her figure it out in the next thirty minutes or you're off the relay. That girl grew up to re engineer the tampon for the first time in almost one hundred years. Amanda Calabreeze is a nine time national champion in life saving, a Stanford Train product design engineer, and a co founder and of Sequel, the company behind the first spiral tampon created to fulfill a very real need for female athletes. Today, we'll talk with Amanda about how her experience as an elite athlete inspired her to rethink something as seemingly simple as a tampon. Now, SEQL is in locker rooms and stadiums from middle schools to Oudyfield and Yankee Stadium. This is Amanda Calabrese, and this is how she pivots.
Speaker 3: What is your name and what do you do?
Speaker 1: My name is Amanda Calabrese, and I am the co founder and CMO of Sequel.
Speaker 2: Tell us about little Amanda, Like, what was your family like? We've established that your dad is like the eye doctor of town. Yes, big lifeguard family, but like, what was your family like?
Speaker 3: Like, tell us all about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I grew up in East Hampton, New York, which is very known as the hotspots summer destination in New York. But I think I didn't really appreciate how idylic it was until I left. But I had the most idyllic beach childhood. I think I blacked out the winters when it was cold and I had to go to the pool and go to swimming and things like that. But we spent almost every day at the beach, and my dad lifelong surfer. My mom loves the ocean, loves the beach. My parents, they've had generations of family on the eastern end of Long Island, and so it's a very family community vibe. Little Avanda couldn't get out of the water. I wanted to surf like my dad so badly. My dad is my hero was my hero, and so in order to be able to learn to surf and get into the ocean, I had to negotiate with my mom on that one to get surfing as young as possible, and so to do that it was spending long hours at the beach, learning how to swim, getting comfortable in the ocean, being a junior lifeguard. Those are some of my earliest memories.
Speaker 2: The influx in the summer, I feel like, is so defining of the town, of the region.
Speaker 3: Was it a big factor for you or not? Really? When you are a.
Speaker 1: Year round resident any Hampton, summer is everything. The spring is this opening up period, and it's this excitement and it's building week after week until you get to Memorialdy weekend and then all of a sudden, it's summer. It switches on and it's busy, it's exciting, the weather's nice, there's all these interesting, amazing people coming in from around the world. It's like a light switches and we go from sleepy town to the center of the world. You could say, for a few weeks of the year.
Speaker 3: Do you have siblings.
Speaker 2: Have a younger brother, is he also into life guarding and swimming and surfing.
Speaker 1: We're very different. But he was a lifeguard. He swam his whole life. That is something that is so core to our family, our identity. It's the water, the ocean. He's an ai engineer, he went to MIT. He's very smart, very cerebral, and he did all of those things. But now he's very focused on his work. When I think about the eastern end of Long Island and the family, I'm like air quoting right now. It's the community that I was born into. It's this community of lifeguards, community around my dad being the eye doctor in town and everybody knowing him and him walking down the street and people being.
Speaker 3: Like doctor calbaryes, how are you?
Speaker 1: And I didn't realize how lucky I was to be born into a family that made an impact in the.
Speaker 3: Place in which they resided.
Speaker 2: You went to Stanford, so you obviously did very well in school. Was being smart, being good at school? Being driven? Were those things that came naturally to you?
Speaker 1: I was always very ambitious and pushed myself very hard. My mom was always the one to say, I am not the one pushing you. As long as you do your very best, that is good enough for me. And if your very best is a getting second place, if it's getting tenth place, if it's doing your absolute best, and that's good enough for me.
Speaker 3: But I was always pushing myself.
Speaker 1: I think at an early age I had these really amazing experiences that opened up my world and showed me that there was a huge world outside of East Hampton. I competed for this competition. It was for like I think it was like eleven twelve year olds bringing them to Italy.
Speaker 3: It was kids of Italian heritage.
Speaker 1: You could be from the US or from Canada, from all over the world bringing back this Italian I asked for to compete as kids in I was competing in track and I met all these kids from all over the world, learned about their lives and what they were doing where they were from, and that I think that changed everything for me. I was like, you know, I love where I grew up and this is amazing, but there's a whole world out there that I need to see and I need to work as hard as I possibly can, whether that be in school, in sports, anything that I do, so that I can explore it and have these opportunities.
Speaker 2: You joined the National Life Saving team while you were still in high school, which is not a sport that a lot of people know anything about, including me, until we did this research.
Speaker 3: So how were you exposed to it?
Speaker 2: Like did you say as soon as you started lifeguarding, You're like, I want to be on the national team?
Speaker 3: Like was that the goal? Was it other sports?
Speaker 2: Did you think you were going to be a professional athlete in a variety of different sports.
Speaker 1: I think that aspirations like these always come from a role model.
Speaker 3: You hear it.
Speaker 1: I went athletes to interviews, They're like, I looked up to this athlete. Or you hear soccer players, they're like the ninety nine ers, right, they always have. I hear a lot about nine. Everybody has that significant role model. And for me, I was lucky enough that my role model was spending time and investing in me. It wasn't like I'm watching her on TV or I had a direct relationship with my role model. And when I was very young, she was my babysitter, and then when I became older, she was my junior lifeguard instructor. So I joined the Junior Life Card program in East Hampton when I was.
Speaker 3: Seven years old.
Speaker 1: It started started at nine at the time, but I kind of hung alongside the big kids, ran along them at the beach. Wanted to be a part of it so badly so that I could go and learn to surf with my dad.
Speaker 3: That was the deal I made with my mom.
Speaker 1: If you join the Junior Life Card program, if you become strong in the ocean, you can go surf with dad. But my junior life art instructor was this incredible woman named Emily, and she was competing as a lifeguard, and she was training for Nationals, and she was training for this event called Beach Flags, which was ultimately the event that I did. She had consistently competed and like almost one almost got there. And I remember the year that I was in her junior lifeguard group. She was like, I'm going to win the national championships this year, and so are you. You're eleven, You're going to compete in the nine ten eleven group, the C group. I'm going to bring you to Nationals with me in Florida and we're both gonna win. I'm like eleven years old, sprinting up behind her on these sand dunes, trying to keep up with her. I mean, obviously I couldn't. She was so strong and I just remember her being like the strongest woman I knew. And when we went to Florida together, I competed first. She was coaching me on the sidelines, probably the only eleven year old that had a coach screaming while she's competing.
Speaker 3: I won, and then three.
Speaker 1: Days later she competed one Open Nationals for the first time and was asked to be on the US national team. She was invited to compete at a World Cup event in Japan. I watched her go to that event, and then when she came back, she gave me a piece of like I think it was like Australia national team gear, and from that moment I was like, this is the goal that I need to accomplish.
Speaker 3: How did you train for it? Like, what does training look like?
Speaker 2: Also, for those who are not in this room, you're not the tallest of athletes.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, no, And that was quite advantageous to my event. Interest in life saving it started in Australia as a way to keep their skills at a prime and then also keep them interested in lifeguarding. In Australia, they have different clubs at different beaches and the different beaches would compete against each other, almost like a track me Right, you go to the beach and there's beach events land events, much like track and field. You would put your skills to the test, and it's like a placement kind of thing, so there's no time. It's just whoever gets out around Buoi's or and in the fastest, and then whoever's the fastest on the sand. The thing that I loved the most about it, and the thing that keeps your skills sharp as a lifeguard, is that you never know what the conditions are going to look like when you show up at the beach. I've had competitions where we're on the Adriatic and it's completely flat, and that was in Italy for the World Championships in twenty twenty two. I've had competitions where we flew all the way to South Africa.
Speaker 3: We were on the beach in Durban.
Speaker 1: It was like six to eight feet ten foot sets and we were breaking paddle boards in half. So some of the events can be you know, swimming in the open water around booys, and then in there's paddle board races, which is something that I did and trained a lot for, so you're paddling a board out and around Bowie's and in, and then you know you could be in last place, you could be in fifth place. You could catch a massive wave because your skills in the surf are the best, and you were able to seize the moment and catch the wave, you could speed ahead and win. My event is the least environmentally dependent, but the most I would say tactical. It's called beach flags. And what you do is line up facing one direction on the sand kind of pronated, with your hands on top of each other and your elbows out. And it's a reaction test. So you're a lifeguard, you're on the lifeguard stand, you say heads up, you have to react and get ready to make a rescue. In beach lags, they say you're now in the hands of the starter, heads down, and then they blow a whistle and you have to get up, turn around, and run twenty five meters in the opposite direction as fast as you possibly can, dive and get a stick, and if you don't get one, you're out. And so the tactical planning and nature of it comes from knowing who's next to you, knowing how far you have to run, conserving energy. Sometimes you're doing twelve rounds until a final. Sometimes you're doing twenty and we go one by one until you are head to head in the finals against one other woman and you're almost rugby diving for the final stick.
Speaker 3: WHOA wild.
Speaker 2: When you started lifeguarding, your goal was to be able to surf with your dad. I mean, did you end up surfing at all? Or did you just sort of day lifeguarding.
Speaker 1: Surfing is still a really important part of my life, and yes, that was why I started the junior lifeguard program, and it fulfilled all those needs for me. I was able to learn to surf, surf with my dad, have that be something that was outside of competing. That's what it became for me. A lot of my friends growing up were competing and surfing, and my parents were very firm that if I was going to put my all into making the national team competing in life saving, I needed something that wasn't competitive that I just did for the joy of it.
Speaker 2: Did you compete in other sports as well or they were like focus on one.
Speaker 1: I competed in all of the middle school high school sports. I swam all year round, I played field hockey, I ran track, But all of those things were in service of achieving this overarching goal of doing what Emily did and making the national team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just to foreshadow a little bit here, the community nonprofit program that we stood up at Gotham is called Keep Her in the Game, specifically to keep girls in whatever sport they're playing as their bodies change. So agees like eight to fourteen, because that statistically is the age where girls bodies change. They don't know how to handle it. There's not coaching support because our coaches don't know how to handle it, and so girls drop out. You clearly didn't drop out, but how did you manage that with your body changing and sticking in the same sport you had been in when suddenly your body might be doing something different than it had before.
Speaker 1: It's really hard to grow up in a sport where there's so much focus on your body because you're wearing a bikini. I was eleven years old wearing a two piece bathing suit competing at the National Championships. When I made the national team, I was sixteen wearing a red, white and blue bikini competing at the World Championships. I distinctly remember going through those changes of you know, wanting to wear my uniform, but not feeling comfortable in my body, you know, getting my period for the first time at a swim meet, and not even knowing how to use a tampon.
Speaker 3: Not knowing really what that was. Knowing that it.
Speaker 1: Existed, of course, but it was a tampon conceptually that was never something that I was going to need to use. And then all of a sudden, I'm in a bathing suit and the team captain is saying, if you don't figure out how to put a tampon in in the next thirty minutes, you're off the relay and we need you for the relay. So there's that learning how to have the tools to manage the things that are happening mean to you as your body is changing and going through puberty. But then I think body image was something that was so prevalent for me, particularly in the sport that I was in, and that was when all of us started having an Instagram. It was amazing because I could follow my idols that lived in Australia who were competing professionally. That's the only place in the world where there is really a robust semi professional system. I could follow them on Instagram from across the world. But I was looking at these developed women who had ridiculous six packs. I mean, they looked amazing. But I was sixteen, and I was like, should I look like that? Can I wear a two peace bathing suit? If I don't look like that? Because I'm my body is changing and going through puberty and I don't look like that.
Speaker 2: So was managing the different aspects, Like I imagine you probably had to get a more supportive top to some degree. You've described the coach saying that you had to use a tampon immediately, but like talking about how to manage when you got your period if you were in white bathing suits, Like, was that something that was openly discussed among other athletes, among coaches, like anywhere in the field. Everyone had to figure it out on their own.
Speaker 1: Definitely not. It always came from the team captain. It always came from the older girl on the team. This is something that my co founder, Greta and I talk a lot about with our company now, and it's that a lot of the information that you get as a young girl, particularly in sports, is passed down from those that are in leadership positions around you, and it's not the coach. It's not the systems around you. It's girls in the locker room helping out other girls whispering. And that's what it was for me. I mean, I'm so thankful that my mom was so involved and none of these conversations were difficult for her. But I remember teaching younger girls in my swim team a tampon. I remember showing up at nationals every year for years in a row and having my period and it wasn't even oh.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna leak in my bathing suit.
Speaker 1: It was I'm distracted because I'm thinking about the fact that I'm wearing a tampon and I have my period, and I have cramps, and it's really heavy at a heavy period when I was younger, and I have to go compete against the best girls in the country, and if I don't show up today, then I might not get selected for the national team. A lot of pressure for a thirteen year old to put on themselves, but add in the period and it's a nightmare.
Speaker 2: So how does a competitive lifeguard end up rebuilding the most used period product in America? Coming up the stand for class where she meets her co founder, the Spiral sketch that starts the whole thing, and a four year struggle to get a tiny piece of cotton past the FDA. We'll hear all about it right after the break. Skip ahead to college. You went to Stanford and studied product design engineering. How did you get into engineering? What drew you to the field, Like, what did you think your career goals were going to be at that point?
Speaker 1: I did not think I was going to be an engineer. I came back from my trip to my first World Championships in France in twenty fourteen in high school, and I was amazed with the world out there. I was meeting people from all over the world, and I was like, I'm going to be a diplomat. I had a couple internships in New York that were setting me in that direction. I got to Stanford. I was going to study political science, and after one quarter I called my mom and I was like, I think I'm going to switch to the engineering school, and she was like, who are you and what have you done with my child. It's funny to look back on it now and think like, Oh, I was going to go working. I wanted to go work in government really badly. Oh, Wow, and why what was drawing you to government? I felt like it was a way that I could have an impact for me. The world just kept getting bigger and bigger, right I was like, oh my god, I can travel the world and play sports. And then I made the national team and I was like, oh my god, there's so many interesting people out there that I need to meet. And then I started to think about how could I do something as a profession that would be impactful, something that I would feel good about doing while also getting to explore and meet people.
Speaker 2: And is that because there was no professional path in the sport that you were in. How did you see those two paths playing out, like your professional profession and professional life saving?
Speaker 1: So there really is no professional pathway in Australia. There's a pretty robust like semi professional. There are some professional athletes there. That was on my radar and I did end up spending a summer season in Australia competing, but it was always going to be short term. That was never going to be the end goal for me. That was fun pathway, obviously not very viable. The other was I could go and become a professional lifeguard for La County or out in California, there are you know, it's like fire lifeguard, everyday heroes. And I have a lot of friends that are unbelievable, unbelievable women. Firefighters and lifeguards are real life superwomen. But when I got into Stanford, that was not the direction that I saw myself going. I wanted to have this duality that was the lifeguard, the competitor, the surfer, the person at the beach, and that was a part of me that I really loved. But I also wanted to pursue a side of me that could be professional. I had had a significant business that I started in high school and then continued through college.
Speaker 3: Oh what was that business?
Speaker 1: I was doing private swim lessons, surf lessons, lifeguarding, and then in college I was doing private ocean safety lessons for families that were coming and spending their summers on the East End. And that business was small and all the side when I was life guarding in high school, but it grew to be very large. And I loved the dynamics of having clients, and I loved making money, and I loved that I could see if I put work into something that I would have a result that gratification was similar in school, it was similar in sports, and it was similar in work as well, and that was what pushed me in the direction of I really want to go to Stanford. I want to push myself. I want to do something hard. I don't want to go to Stanford and do something that I know I'm good at. And that's why I switched to the engineering school, doing something that I was not as confident in math and science in high school. I was obviously had good grades, but going over to the engineering school was pushing myself and I put myself up to the challenge because back down from a challenge before that.
Speaker 2: Product design engineering were you just like searching around for something to create.
Speaker 1: There was actually an upperclassman on my floor. I was in this mixed class dorm usually at Stanford Go and it's all freshmen. I thought it was the worst thing ever I'd been put in the store, and with all these older people, I was like, I don't want.
Speaker 3: To be around the older people.
Speaker 1: And there was this junior on my floor who had done this project where it was this storytelling exercise and you had to tell a story about yourself and build out a kind of physical manifestation of that, and then later in the quarter, it was telling a story about a group of people that you had researched. And then there was a component to it where you were actually consulting for a business and telling the story of their customers. And I thought that was so cool that you could go and talk to people, learn about the world around you, and then do something that was helpful for them. I asked him what his major was, and he said, product design, and you learn about people and tell their stories so that you can build better products and systems for them, so that they can have a better life.
Speaker 2: So you met your co founder Greta at stand How did you guys meet?
Speaker 1: So we were both in the product design engineering department. It was crazy that we had never been paired on a class project together yet, because you do so many group projects in the major when we were paired together. When we came together for a project our senior year, it was almost serendipitous that we had never worked together yet, but that we would work on something so significant together. We always knew each other socially, but I think the meet cute that always sits in my mind is we were not in a It was in a class for our major. It was an elective, so we'd both chosen to be there. It was a startup class. It was ten weeks to put a business plan together, pitch it to investors, network guests, and going to come in and they would give you a grade on your project. But it was like your startup. And I remember it was downstairs and there's like a spiral staircase because of course Stanford's beautiful like that, and we're coming up the spiral staircase and I remember Kreta was on her bike with her backpack with her hot sauce that she always had in the kind of water bottle holder of her backpack, and I remember her saying, you know, I know we have four other boys in our group, but I really think we should work on period products. She said, I've always struggled with my period products. On game day, Greta played divisional lacrosse at Stanford unbelievable athlete and was wearing white, Stanford's home team uniform, and she had told me that she had been thinking about period products for a while with her teammates and how they were never reliable. They were always having these like can you check me incidents on the field, and she wondered if I had a similar experience, And you know, we talked about my years in life saving and with going through puberty while having to commeet in a bathing suit and getting my period for the first time at a swim meat and had all these stories very different from hers, but common theme. Period products were unreliable and they consistently let us down when we needed them the most.
Speaker 2: We just so happened to have Greta Mayor, Amanda's co founder and the CEO of SQL, in the studio with us, so we decided to have her jump right into the conversation to provide some extra context for how zeql came to be. Gret is, actually here, Can you come in? I feel like you should come in. We want like your side of this story. Is that your recollection? Like what is your first impressions of Amanda?
Speaker 4: I remember that because it was a little bit radical. We each had male project partners. I think you had two or three and I had one, and then we ended up merging together our groups. I don't know really why we need it for we needed four. I had two and you had three, so we were like, let's just be five, and then our professor kept being like, five co founders is too many, and he would always point us out and be like, disaster is going to strike, kind of like we're reading case studies about like, okay, five co founders is probably too many. But I think having boys was really interesting for us because once that meet cute happened, somehow convinced also the boys to work on it, like this is actually something we're passionate about world take all the interviews with women trying to figure out what's going on with period products and doing the actual research. You guys can kind of help formalize that research, do some of the report writing. They did our homework, Yes, they did the other part of the class, but that we were like, we're not expecting you to interview women about their period. So it kind of worked well. We're very determined to prove the professor wrong. But also we had such a clear setup with these guys that we were like, we're going to take this to another class project after this, and we ended up doing that for the rest of the year.
Speaker 3: Were they psyched about it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think they were excited about it. I mean it was such a unique problem. I think a lot of the times. And this was from a friend of mine who'd taken the class before, is like, just be aware everyone's going to do bill splitting and storage for college students, which happens every quarter of this class, because that's like the biggest problems you can think of as a college, like life changing stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think we were just like, Okay, this is something we're so passionate about and it's interesting. We don't know what the solution is going to be, but they were interested enough to you know, just kind of carry that towards through the end of the project.
Speaker 1: And we made them wear white pants for the final presentation. Yes, and they were on board. Yeah, incredible, they were definitely on board.
Speaker 4: Yeah. But because it was actually interesting and it was like engaging, the professor loved it. Our professor actually became an investor, and yeah, we have very fond memories of that.
Speaker 2: Had anyone ever done a period product or something adjacent for the class, this was totally different, I think you think so.
Speaker 3: I think it was really left field.
Speaker 1: I think that was also why our final presentation had such a huge impact, because, as Greta said, everyone was like, here's a new app for you to split your bill or summer storage. And then we came on everyone's wearing white pants and red shirts and we were tampro at that point in time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, and we were.
Speaker 1: Your professional tampon salution and we were going to use female athletes as our influencers. And the investors in the room were like, let us know if you do this.
Speaker 3: How close are far?
Speaker 2: Was that original pitch and design and business plan from where you ended up launching?
Speaker 4: Well in time, it took us a lot longer than we expected. We were quite naive, I think about the FDA manufacturing, just all of that, even if the outcome actually was rather similar.
Speaker 3: I think there were many more steps along the way.
Speaker 4: But we actually look back like our initial presentation was a hideous sketch that I made of a spiral sort of tampon. I think it had about ten circumferences completed versus ours right now was like three and a half.
Speaker 3: So that definitely changed.
Speaker 4: But the idea, the concept behind it, and the idea of okay, what if we actually treated this like gam day equipment versus some forgotten taboo thing that you're like whispering to your teammate about that thread really is where we are right now.
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you, Greta, thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: So you guys did it for the class, you did it for a second class, yes, and then you started raising money while you were in school.
Speaker 1: So when we were in school, so Greta and I were both in the product design major, we had to do a capstone. This is interesting because Greta had a return offer from a summer internship that she crushed the summer before.
Speaker 3: They were desperately wanting her to come back. I believe that having just interviewed her for thirty seconds. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were like, please come back, we need you, and I was like, actually I need you.
Speaker 3: Sorry.
Speaker 1: I was actually planning to go to Australia to compete and do life saving probably do some work while I was there, but it's very common for life saving national team members, whether it be British team, French team, US team, to go and spend a summer or two on the Gold Coast of Australia and compete, And so that was my plan.
Speaker 3: After college.
Speaker 1: I did actually take a quarter off of Stanford my junior year to go and compete over the summer. My mom was like, she is such a stage. She was like, I don't want you to have an opportunity after college and not be able to take it because you feel like you need to do this thing to complete your life and your goals in life.
Speaker 3: Saving and so you should go and do it in college.
Speaker 1: And if you want to go back after school, that's totally fine, but just make sure you do that before something else happens. I am so thankful that my mom pushed me to do that in college because this unbelievable opportunity came about where Greta and I were working on this as our capstone, and I realized that this was the opportunity that was going to prevent me from going to Australia. And I realized that I had accomplished all the things that I needed to accomplish. I won the national championships, I'd competed for my country. I had raced in Australia and done their like amateur semi pro series, and I'd lived abroad and did that full time. And so I was ready to have a new goal that was just as crazy as making the national team, and that was creating a tampon that was more reliable.
Speaker 3: And that's what we did.
Speaker 1: We were able to raise almost fifty thousand dollars in non dilutive grant funding while we were students, and that gave us the funding to graduate from Stamford in June of twenty nineteen and then spend the summer in San Francisco figuring out our business plan, how we were going to raise our friends and family around or preceed round, and then our next steps in terms of developing this new design for the tampon.
Speaker 2: Here's a quick refresher on the history of the tampon. Tampon light constructions have been used for thousands of years, but the modern tampon we know was invented in nineteen thirty one by a man named doctor Earl has It revolutionized period care for women across the globe and is the most used period product in America, But the basic design of the tampon has remained largely unchanged until now.
Speaker 3: What was so revolutionary about the design?
Speaker 1: So when Greta and I started looking into the period space, tampons kept coming up over and over again. We were both athletes, we interviewed a lot of athletes, but also tampons are the most widely used product in the US. And so we kept hearing my tammon is failing before it's full. It's uncomfortable, it's dry, it's stiff, it's not working the way that I need it to. And we recognized that first and foremost, the tampon was invented by a man almost one hundred years ago, and that design has not dramatically changed since then. And second of all, every tampon on the market, it's a very monopolized industry, and so the designs are all very similar, and they all have these vertical channels that go top to bottom, and we discovered they funnel the fluid away from the absorbent core, causing premature product failure and discomfort, dryness, uneven absorption.
Speaker 3: And so Greta was talking about the spiral kind of sketch that she did.
Speaker 1: We hypothesized that the most fluid mechanically efficient design for a tampon would be introducing a helical spiral around the outside that would interrupt the vertical flow path downward and promote even absorption. Interrupt that flow path downward to prevent premature leaks.
Speaker 3: And I feel like some.
Speaker 2: Of the conversations around tampons over the last few years or like that it wasn't tested on actual lie, that it was tested on water, that it involved chemicals that we don't want to put in our bodies, Like how did you address those pieces?
Speaker 1: This is something that we took so much care and thought with because we were starting from the ground up. We weren't going to a factory and saying we'll take your best private label offerings and we'll put a brand on it. We were two engineers starting from what we wanted to build and starting from scratch, and so we did a lot of research around what materials we wanted to use and how we wanted to test. So we do a lot of testing a live on TikTok Live Now, and we make this fake blood mixture with chocolate syrup and corn syrup and red food dye, and people love it. They love seeing something that's more viscous. And a lot of the testing is with a saline solution, and so we wanted to do things differently. In order to commercialize our product, we needed to go through the FDA. We needed to get FDA five ten K clearance because it is a medical device in the United States, and so we had to go through an unbelievable amount of testing in order to even get to the point where we could submit to the FDA. We worked with Greta track Down, the world leading expert in toxic shock syndrome, to do a lot of our testing. We brought in incredible experts from Procter and Gamble and Johnson and Johnson to make sure that we were doing things right because we had an incredible opportunity to do things the right way right and I feel like building our product and then getting submitting to the FDA for so long, that was our world championship was That was Greta's NCAA Championships. In college, that was like the biggest event and you train and train and train and you prepare and something. For me in sports, I never wanted to get onto the line at the national Championships and feel like I didn't do the work. I wanted to show up at the US Nationals and know that I worked harder than every single person there. And the only way that you can know if you're the person that's working the hardest is is if you really tell yourself that, but also actually do the work so that you can confidently tell yourself that right. You need to be able to back it up. If that self talk is going to be I've worked harder to be here than anybody else.
Speaker 3: You have to have the receipts.
Speaker 1: And so when we submitted to the FDA, that was it felt like we were rocking up to our World Championships or our nationals, and it was you know, I've done all the work that I needed to do and more because I am more prepared than anybody else.
Speaker 3: Showing up on this line and it took you.
Speaker 2: Four years, like that is significant, I think, especially for a young person who's trying to launch something. If you had known it was going to take that long, do you think you would have gone down that path?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: What do you've chosen a different path? Did you guys take outside jobs? Did you raise money?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: How did you manage? It's a long time. It's a long time.
Speaker 1: So we were able to secure preceed investors when we didn't have any more grant funding after that summer, we were able to raise a preseed round that allowed us to start get to work building this product. And it's funny you look at the slides, Greta said this. You look at the slides and it's like, we're going to have FDA clearance in twenty twenty one or something, and it was twenty nineteen, or we're gonna have it in twenty twenty, and obviously that didn't happen. But to us it was years of you'd find one piece of the puzzle and then that would unlock four more and you were just following these leads. Now, I also have to mention that the state of the world had changed, has changed dramatically since we started the company. We started this project in the fall of twenty eighteen, we graduated in twenty nineteen, and then COVID was in twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: And so while our end goal.
Speaker 1: Has remained the same, developing the spiral tampon, getting it in the hands of women everywhere, so many aspects of the business had to change and pivot because of the world around us, and the world was changing.
Speaker 2: Can you give us some examples of that, Like I think about you guys, you know, thinking that you're going to get FDA not even approval, but like submission in one year, two years, and it ended up being four years. I can only imagine that there were many times that you felt like, ugh, like.
Speaker 3: Are we ever going to do this?
Speaker 2: Do we just give up, like how did you What are the ways that you had to adjust the business?
Speaker 1: I mean, I think working remote in COVID was really interesting. That changed the dynamics of research and development and how quickly we were able to do things because people were either unavailable or we needed to get on zoom.
Speaker 3: And I think.
Speaker 1: We all realize now there is no replacement for being in person and being together, and so that was an interesting pivot. I think learning how we were going to build the business and to what each of our strengths were as time passed was really interesting as well. When you start a company and your two co founders you do the same thing, and you do everything together very early on, and then you learn if your business survives long enough, that it's not very effective or efficient for two people to be doing the same thing together all the time, and so you have to lean into your strengths. And it's crazy to think that we both grew up professionally and personally starting this at twenty one, and we kind of grew up as the business grew up too, and we had to learn, you know, what are our strengths professionally and what are you going to tackle over here? And what am I going to tackle over here? It's really a team sport, so it's like we can't be playing the same position. So what position are you going to play? What am I going to play? And who do we need to bring in to help us?
Speaker 2: Do you think because you played team sports it made you better equip to have that conversation? Because I can see that going real south. It's like you both think you're coming in with the same skill set and the same strength, Like who ends up getting that portfolio of like the thing you both came in being good at?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: I think so because you have to be very self aware that you know this is my position and this is not my position.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: It was interesting when I was competing on the national team. I would go to US Nationals and do every event and that's fun and whatever, and then I would go to the World Championships and I was a specialist and I only went to do beach flags and the beach sprints. And then I would put my hand up and say, if you need me for the surf ski or the paddle board or the swim, I'll plug in and I'll do it. And that very different but also similar to Greta's experience playing lacrosse, saying, this is my position, this is my role, and I rely on the rest of my team to make sure that I get a shot on goal. And so you can see those two different. They're different perspectives, but they play really well to working on a team together. And I think self awareness is everything.
Speaker 2: I hear horror stories about women trying to fundraise, and the statistics about women being able to raise VC money, private equity money, any money are abysmal, and those statistics are for every female founder, like women trying to start AI companies, apps that bill split, whatever the thing is they're trying to raise money for. You went straight into the deepen, so to speak. You were like, here's a topic that no man wants to talk about, and I'm going to try to take your money to do it and believe in me. Can you tell us about some of those fundraising conversations you had.
Speaker 1: I mean, one that is so top of mind is in twenty nineteen, we were pitching female athletes as our influencers that were going to promote the product and drive trust and credibility for our future customers, and some people got it, like we obviously raised the funding, but so many people said, you know, why don't you think bigger than sports and female athletes?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: It seems niche, Right, it was niche. It that was the feedback we were get. We're like, that's a good beachhead, but that'll that won't scale. And it's it's funny looking back on those conversations. Now, we did a lot of pitching to men and would say, talk to your wife, talk to your girlfriend. You have daughters, this is something that you should either talk to them about or you will have to come up against and have these conversations at some point in your life, Like surely you have a mom that you could ask about this or female friends. Right, there was that piece, and then pairing that with what a large market this is and a big business opportunity, So I think it's that.
Speaker 3: And then it's also it's like the.
Speaker 1: Money Talks kind of thing, like this is a big industry that is not seeing innovation in almost one hundred years. It's run by large incumbents, and everybody loves the underdog. Everybody wants to back the tenacious small business. It's going to take down the monopolies. And then at the same time we came to the table explaining our product in a very technical way. We're not going in there trying to shock and awe. We're saying this is a fluid mechanics innovation to a product that is innocuous in everyone's life, maybe except for you because you're a man, right yeah, I mean we have amazing women investors on our cap table. We also have unbelievable male investors that saw the vision from day one and have supported us since the very beginning.
Speaker 2: Were you able to find a couple of like key arguments or like key profiles of investors where you're like, Okay, they're going to be a yes, or let's move on.
Speaker 1: I'll say that looking back on it now, the investors that were early backers that are the most important to us today all came from an understanding in sports. So two of our most incredible investors that Greta and I speak to at least every week, to Ossio Grazioli, who is an investor in the Washington Spirit. She has this fund called News Sport. They just took a majority ownership in sale GP Atalia. She understands the dynamics of sports, but then also understands that there needs to be women's health and infrastructure to support women's sports as it grows. And then Adrian Fenty, who is a partner at Macventure Capital. He founded the firm and he was the former mayor of DC and his kids played college sports. He is also an unbelievable triathlete and is an athlete himself, and so when we were pitching to him this tampon for performance, he said, obviously this is needed.
Speaker 3: Obviously this is game day equipment.
Speaker 2: In a minute, Amanda will tell us how SEQL approached getting this new tampon design into the Indiana Fever locker room, why it's so important for men's sports spaces to stock period products, and how SQL has grown with the rise of women's sports and culture. Be right back, you've said that your timing was ideal, like that it took a little bit of time because you are focused on this women's sports as influencer vertical that your timing of launch ended up coinciding with the rise of female athletes being more mainstream. So how do you see your role in like building the category of female athletes like women's sports right now, We.
Speaker 1: Could not have had better timing. Truly, it took so much longer than we sought to do, the manufacturing in the FDA and everything. But when we caught the FDA clearance in twenty twenty three and came out the other side to this unbelievable growth in women's sports, I could not feel more lucky.
Speaker 3: And I do believe that I just said this.
Speaker 1: As women's sports continues to grow, there are categories that are endemic to women's sports that need to also grow with it. Right there are products that women need that are unique to them, that they will need to perform.
Speaker 3: At the highest levels.
Speaker 1: And I am so honored to be a part of that and have been there and authentically there from twenty nineteen to now. And every time I see an infant formula company sponsoring a women's sports league or fau pill working with unrivaled things like that, I am so happy that we get to be a part of a time and a place and a moment where people are listening to us and there's a seat at the table for us. It's there, And we got the FTATE clearance in twenty twenty three, and we took our seat at the table and said let's get to work.
Speaker 2: You've had some really interesting partnerships, and you've shared with me before the show and hopefully now right on the show some really interesting and innovative ideas that you have around the marathon, around like the NWSL and having stadiums that host both men's and women's Like, can you share some of those ideas with us?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've had so much fun with now our team. We have a team now, which is amazing. We have so much fun bringing to life our vision that women deserve better and they deserve high performance products, and how do we show women that they can have access to these products and have access to the same products that their heroes have access to in a way that we do That that I'm so excited about is improving the female fan experience because the female fans of women's sports and men's sports too are incredibly valuable customers, but they're also high impact customers. Those are the women that are going to the game because they love sports. Those are the women that are going to their daughter's soccer game every weekend because they want their daughter to grow up and joining sports. Those are sports families and households that because Lexi Hall uses the sequel tampon, now mom is going to go out and buy that product for her daughters because her role model uses that product and it makes that period conversation so much easier. And we've done that with the Indiana Fever where the official tampon partner of the team. And we also work with Lexie Hall, who is an incredible athlete and also has two engineering degrees from Stanford, incredible role model, and we've had such an incredible success being able to supply tampons for their locker room but also for the fans. We did an incredibly innovative partnership with DC United, which is led by Danida Johnson, who is my hero personally. She is a rock star leading that team and leading the initiative to put complimentary period products in Audi Field and have a tamp.
Speaker 3: DC United is the men's team, that's right, it's the men socer team, that's right.
Speaker 1: Have a tampon partnership with the men's team because they care about their female fans. We also work with DC Power, which is they play out of Audi Field. They are part of the Gamebridge Super League, which is the newest soccer league in the US, and we have the ability to supply any fan that goes to Audifield with complimentary period products. And it doesn't just have to be Women don't just watch women's sports. Women watch sports, and so we want to make sure that everybody feels seen and also taken care of on game day.
Speaker 2: And the Washington Spirit the women's soccer team also plays in that stadium, so by partnering with the men's team getting it into the stadium, you are also providing it there for the female fans of the women's team.
Speaker 1: That's right, and the women's national rugby team played there this summer. Every little girl that's been watching Alona Mayor on TikTok probably went to that stadium and then they saw a sequel in the bathroom. We had the US women's national team at a friendly against Canada in early July.
Speaker 3: We were in the bathroom.
Speaker 1: So with our partnership with Audifield, we are able to be there for so many cultural moments.
Speaker 2: And you had told me about your idea. I don't know if it ended up happening or not, but your idea for the New York Marathon.
Speaker 3: Do you remember that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, tell us about that. I love that.
Speaker 1: So we would love to do something like this in the future. So If anybody has any porta potty contacts, you send them my way. We would love to turn porta potties into tamon changing stations. I mean, you never know. Twenty twenty six point two miles is a long way to go.
Speaker 2: Oh and if you check it, so, yeah, make that porta potty feel welcome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, disco ball in there. Love music, I don't know, just like get the vibes.
Speaker 3: Going in there. Yeah, yeah, love love.
Speaker 1: But we are constantly thinking of ideas and creative ways that we as a small company. We're not a Jersey Patch Partner. We're not on the big led, but that doesn't mean that we can't make an impact in our earliest days and use these impactful moments to grow so that I.
Speaker 2: Am the Jersey Patch partner one day. Right, So what does success look like for you?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: Where are you going?
Speaker 1: We are really excited to get the Splospiral tampon in the hands of as many women as we possibly can. On the outside, everyone sees these sports partnerships and athletes that we're working with, But at the end of the day, what we have done is re engineer the tampon for the first time in one hundred years, by women athletes and engineers, and at our core, we have created technology that does not exist anywhere else so that women can have a more reliable period experience. And so sports is our vehicle, but the technology is what will make somebody have a better day. And so we need the product to grow and be available all over the country, not just in our stadium partners, not just online and on TikTok. But we need to grow massively so that we can get this product in the hands of as many people as we can.
Speaker 2: And I'm very happy that you are now the official tampon of my kids' school. Yes, we'll be in our athletic center, in all of our bathrooms. It's another place where we can make an impact. And I mean, schools are so important for us. We're looking at more opportunities, not just stadiums, but schools where girls getting their periods for the first time can have access to our product, to fitness studios where you go in and you're wearing your light pilates leggings and you're like, I just am about to have the worst day of my life.
Speaker 3: So what is one thing?
Speaker 2: It could be something we've talked about, al right, it could be something totally different. But what is one thing that at the time you saw as a total low point negative. You're like, God, We're never going to do this thing, and now you see it as actually having launched you to the success you are today.
Speaker 1: Well, I think the timing of everything. I would say patience is everything. We were struggling with manufacturers, struggling with just development, just getting our R and D finalized so that we could move to the next step, but it was taking so long. And then when we finally submitted to the FDA, finally got the FDA clearance, and then launched at this unbelievable moment for women's sports, making this incredible moment for sports around the world, that was a testament to patience and moving through the process and taking the time to actually build something the right way.
Speaker 3: Do you think you'll pivot again?
Speaker 1: Me personally, I think there are many pivots in life.
Speaker 3: And I'm very young.
Speaker 1: I'm twenty eight years old, so I know I've got a few more pivots in me. But right now we're laser focused on the sequel spiral Tampon Greta, my coo, his famous lide on all of our meetings is never underestimate the tampon.
Speaker 3: There you have it, Okay, thank you so much, Amanda, Thank you for joining.
Speaker 2: For decades, period care for women athletes was treated as private, sometimes even taboo. The thing you whisper about to your teammates when Amanda talks about tampon is game day equipment. Shifting how we view period care across the board is a mission for her and for sequel. Amanda dared to rethink an outdated product designed by someone who would never use it. She took the same problem that almost pulled her off the relay as a kid and treated it as an engineering challenge and attacked the problem with the same energy she brought to the races as an elite athlete. She and her co founder Greta built the thing they wished they had and have been focused on getting it into the hands of the next girl who needs it ever since. Think about the offices and the school spaces in your life at stock Tampons and make the switch to seql. Learn more at triseql dot com. That's all for today. See you next Wednesday. Thanks for listening to she Pivots. If you like this episode, follow the show so you never miss a pivot story and share it with one woman in your life who might need to hear it. To learn more about our guests and join our community, follow us on Instagram at she pivots the podcast our. Subscribe to our substack for exclusive content and behind the scenes conversations. You can also find us at shepivotspod dot com. This episode was produced and edited by Paige Davis Janott, with sound editing and mixing by Nina Pollock. Logistics and planning by Amostopic and Kendall Krupkin. Research by Christine Dickison. She Pivots is proud to be a part of the iHeart Podcast Network.
Speaker 4: I endorse che Pivots