Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal I'll that for me. I'm a man, I'm forty. I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for dake Edo state. Is that woo woom? And Dan and tie welcome back to the solid Ruber boys and girls. My name is Ti Hildebrand, joining me once again, my good friend now back in this home of homes in New York City. Dan Rubinstein newly married? How are you? Is the word betrothed? Betrothed?
Speaker 2: Yes, I am newly married. I have a ring on my ring finger on my left hand, and it's official.
Speaker 1: Are you used to the feel of the ring yet? That's like, oh, I'm not betrothed, betrothed is engaged. I am wed. Are you used to the ring yet? That's my go to question as like an icebreaker for all my newly married friends. I'm not, Yeah, sort of.
Speaker 2: I take it off when I shower because it's a little bit big and so like washing your hands soap, it sort of gets a little slippery, and I'm so I need to get it sized a bit. But I mean I play with the ring all day. I'm spinning it all day with the thumb so I assume that doesn't stop. No, used to the rim, the ring, excuse me, used to uh married life. I've lived with her, lived with the now solid wife. I don't know what I'm gonna call her now, Yeah, because there's solid wife Kate. I guess I could call her by her name.
Speaker 1: I should probably we can't go A and B because that's demeaning to the B and certainly that's not our intention. Right, I will clear it with her. She's not famous.
Speaker 2: I don't know why this is such a big deal, but I'm gonna clear with her because that's what you're supposed to do now, right, You're supposed to to really make sure.
Speaker 1: I got to get the waiver before you make any discsbsolutely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, her name is not Kate. Yeah, okay, so it'll be a little bit easy on that front. Life is good. Ty got back from mooning a few days ago. Was thrilled to have you in Solid Wife Kate in Chicago.
Speaker 1: Great. It was great. I'm honored to have been there. It was terrific to see you and Doc Rubinstein up. Yeah. I had a hearty discussion with Doc Rubinstein both at the wedding. At the rehearsal, dinner, at the wedding, and then the day after the wedding. That's incredible. We were talking, we were talking politics, we were talking religion. I think we even talked a little bit of space, which, as you know, is sort of my wheelhouse passion. If you want to know the thrust of a Falcon heavy rocket, I'm your guy. But now it was good to see everyone. Is that that's a euphemism. I'm assuming right, you are really going for it. Yeah, so everything was good.
Speaker 2: We're going to recap everything, I think at the back half of the show, but we're keeping everything thematic. We're keeping everything tight in terms of our discussion points today, and we have a show that I think interrelates college football sort of big picture and where we stand right now with marriage and a wedding and all things love. So I think we're just going to go forward in that direction.
Speaker 1: Without further ado. Here's what we're doing. Dan and I have put together a rather long list, if I don't say so myself, of college football marriages, college football unions, college football relationships. Yes, we're not necessarily talking about coach in school. Could be talking about school and conference, could be talking about quarterback in school, could be talking about man and actual wife, offense and school, a whole variety of different unions that we've come to own the college football world, and we've chosen this opportunity to not only evaluate those relationships but also talking a little bit of depth about what we feel goes on behind the scenes. Absolutely things of that nature. So body stuff, if I could there, it is there. It is Dan really going, really going exet Father the Bride music, by the way, it is, it is absolutely Father of the Bride music. First one up here. It's a new marriage, Dan. Okay, take that music down, thank you? Okay. Lane Kiffin and Florida Atlantic University, Yes, Lane Kiffen recently announced, as of you know, a couple months ago that he's a new head football coach at Florida Atlantic. Obviously they're excited to get someone of Lane Kiffin's caliber. M HM instantly raises the profile of Fau. Dan, what do you think so this is about six months old? Certainly not his first choice. No, in that realm he's recruited.
Speaker 2: Interestingly, I would say fair to say some you know, perhaps a little above Fau's normal level, some some interesting recruits there I would say it's awkward. It doesn't look like a long term fit, but it serves a purpose, maybe like a green card marriage tie. Oh maybe you know Lane Kiffen wants something out of it, FAU want something out of it. It's a marriage of convenience, and you know, Fau's profile is being raised. Lane Kiffin is there to prove that he can run a program responsibly, win have an Act two and so both parties are getting something out of it, and it feels like college football, the citizenship of college football, respectability.
Speaker 1: How about that? A celebrity marriage is what came to mind for me? Why is that one of convenience? One mostly about advancement in PR, raising the profile? This is Kim Kardashian and Chris Humphries. Wow, I don't know who's who. I don't know. Well, Fa, you would have to be Chris Humphries. Okay, Lane Kiffin's always had a little bit of Kim king, but just feels like one of PR. PR is like the central theme here. I think for both sides. That being said, I think Lane Kiffin will absolutely make FAU better. I don't there's your question about that. He's already brought a little excitement to the program. I'm sure he'll bring a little bit more controversy to the program before his time is through there. But to me, does not feel like it's going to last more than what two years? It'll serve its purpose ty two years over under two years.
Speaker 2: And it's in Florida. So awkward marriages in Florida. That's fine, sort of a thing, perfectly on point.
Speaker 1: All right, let's move on, Let's go to a different one. What do we got, I have more music. Let's stay in the state. Let's stay in the great state of Florida. This isn't a coach at a school. This is a quarterback in his school. This is Malik Zaire in Florida. I talked a little bit last week in your absence about this with our good friend Andy Staples. But Malik Zaier, of course, grad transferring away from Notre Dame didn't quite work out at Notre Dame the way he had hoped, the way frankly, a lot of Notre Dame fails had hoped. He now is going to press his luck at Florida. The overriding theme to me here is one of desperation, really desperation on both sides. I think if you're League Zaire, you're desperate to just go out there and at least play a full season of Maybe desperation maybe a might be an extreme word, but I see where you're going. Desperation for him and certainly for Florida. If you're thinking of this in pure relationship terms, like if this is a tender situation, Florida swiped right on everybody, everyone available who was other than what they presently had. They swiped right. It just so happens that Meleague's Ire swiped back. So for me, that's the theme here. It's one of desperation, maybe more so for the Florida Gators and Jim Maceawaine than than League's Ire.
Speaker 2: See, I'm looking at this as sort of a later in life, both parties looking for companionship grad transfer. Obviously it's very promising, just because you know these two people have sort of shared experiences. One is looking, you know, both are looking. It might be a little bit awkward for you, maybe as a grandchild scene as your nutty grandmother splitting from your grandfather, but it's sort of for the best you could see it, you know, like they just sort of what they weren't clicking anymore.
Speaker 1: So, And are you think that she found a companion? Are you thinking gated community met during the pinocle game kind of situation?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like ultimately, you know, it's probably not going to last decades, it's not going to last a long time.
Speaker 1: Well, the situation you're describing somebody dies first, Well, that's the morbid reality of what you're describing to me, the person that dies. And this is eligibility okay, right for a league. Are we're talking in all metaphors here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe sort of end your career, you know, fitting in somewhere with someone that sort of makes you feel like the real you. How about that? Come on, ty, I'm all about optimism. Now that I've been married for two one and a half weeks, I'm really feeling it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, that's great, really putting an optimistic slant on this.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, because listen, there is a higher ceiling for each now, right, because we don't know and.
Speaker 1: There is definitely a reason for optimism. Yeah, let's be honest, so we can duck out of the metaphor for a second. Florida won the SEC East with lesser talent. Oh, totally, Xaire, totally.
Speaker 2: So imagine what this marriage can be with a more attentive in every way.
Speaker 1: Ty, there you go, spouse. Here's the thing. And Andy brought this up when we talked to him on last week. You talked to him, when I talked to him. He's not totally convinced that Zaire is going to win that job over Felipe Franks. He's not totally convinced. I mean, he needs to see a little bit more the whipper snapper in the retirement community. Sure, I think Zaire would have to be the favorite at this point, but people are excited about Frank's He's just raw at a minimum. Provided everyone stays healthy. This gives you more depth than you've had ever. And then Jim macawain era and believe me, if you're a Florida fan, I think you take that at this point, even if Zire never sees the field, to know that he is there in case something goes wrong to your starter, which is something you've had to deal with the last couple of years. You'll take that. You're cool with that, all right? Moving on, speaking of the gated community fifty five an older relationship, Let's talk about Kirk Farrance and the Iowahawkeyes, Dan, what how you feel about this marriage?
Speaker 2: Okay, so I really like Kirk Farence. He seemed like a very nice guy. We talked to hibout to him, we did. So this is clearly longtime companion. Is he now the longest tenured coach with Bob stoop stepping down?
Speaker 1: Is that he's been at Iowa for like that it feels like ninety two years.
Speaker 2: So probably Yeah, so longtime companion Kirk Farens is to Iowa. There's nothing necessarily flashy. There's no spontaneous trips to a tropical island for you know, a surprise just just because ty. But he always remembers birthdays. He always remembers anniversaries. It doesn't hurt that he married into money. Is he still doing savings bonds for the grandkids? Absolutely, he's responsible about that. You know, he shows, he gets back from work on time for dinner whatever. You know, maybe a little bit of a it's a little bit strange that their adult child is still living with them, a little bit strange, bros. But other than that, he's a rock tie he is. He is a rock in this relationship, and everybody's happy. You know, sometimes there might be looking outside and you know what else is out there? Should it be you know, somebody more handsome, more beautiful, whatever, But you know what, Ultimately they're right for each other.
Speaker 1: I would I would describe this marriage as Eminem the rapper or the candy. No, no, no, I'm talking Eminem. I made up my own acronym here okay, oh amm okay. And it doesn't stand for anything, you know, spicy. It stands for monotonous and monogamous. That's how I feel about this one. Have you ever seen a married couple that sort of looks a lot alike just physically, they look a lot alike when they walk through the mall. You see them next to each other, and it's, my god, sure they're becoming one another. I almost feel like that's what's going on with Kirk Farrence and Iowa. They've almost assumed each other's identity. And if you saw them out in public wearing you know, matching Jeane jackets, it would totally relate. I would.
Speaker 2: I would push back a little bit on monotonous. I would say that every so often they go on a vacation that is memorable and sparks fly, and you know, maybe at the breakfast nook. Every so often they're like, hey, remember Jamaica, the open bar on the boat. Okay, we're talking Orange Bowl, we're talking Rose Bowl, We're talking consistency.
Speaker 1: But there's there's a spike every so often you're like, hey, hey, remember when we went to that ski cabin. We need you need a spark for anything long term like that.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, so I'm saying, not fully consistently monotonous. I'm saying there are there's some some heartbeats on that EKG.
Speaker 1: All right, moving on. So look, this next one, to me feels like it has potential to go to that Iowa level. Now, it's not quite as monotonous, I don't think. And there's definitely been some extramarital flirting. Really, I feel like there probably has been. But David Shawn Stanford mm hm. They also have a little begun to assume each other's identity. It might not be quite as as boring and meat and potatoes as the Iowa situation that I described, But David Shawn Stanford to me feels like a near perfect union. They're very alike in nearly every respect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say David Shaw and Stanford are the couple that they're just so dependably great on like a double date. Tie, He's like, you know what, God, I love David and Melissa. They're just they're great together. They're they're both successful. They both seem so into each other, you know, maybe a little over the top into each other that they're like, you know, giggly and whatever when they're out together. But he's thoughtful, dependable, he's adventurous. The fire still burns Tie, it burns bright. I would even go as far as saying, when the couple goes home after a double date with David Shawn Stanford, they're like, hey, why aren't you more like David? Why are Stanford bakes all the time for David? David comes back with flowers all the time for Why can't you be a little bit more like them?
Speaker 1: I think that's what is just a brilliant man, brilliant young Yeah, the younger son, Christian, he's going to turn out Okay. Absolutely, it feels like they're very very perfect union. To me, they're the Christmas card, the Holiday card for David. Shawn Stanford is just like, man, they just it just keeps getting. You know, one's an executive, one's a doctor, one's a lawyer, one's you know, traveling the world and you know, working in orphanages in Asia. Like just this family's got it together. And this couple, even with all of the kids and all of the time in college, all the that they've been through, David Shawn Stanford, are just still they just stare into each other's eyes and just have it for it. It's just reliable, absolutely reliable in every facet. If your car breaks down on the side of the road, you can call the Shaw household the Stanford house.
Speaker 2: There'll be anytime you anytime you doubt them, they're they're just still there for you.
Speaker 1: All right, let's do another one here. Okay, I was good. All right, Dan, Let's take a little bit of a left turn. Okay, Hugh Freeze and old miss This marriage has seen some better days, hasn't it.
Speaker 2: Listen, Ty, it started out gangbusters. We're talking about they all trips, they all do We're the honeymoon period was just electric. We're talking mile high club tie. Okay, all right, worked down now, Okay, I'm just saying, just can't keep their paws off each other. And at a certain point when you have two people who are so passionate. You know, it's sort of like with with the great fire comes a lot of smoke, comes a lot of you know, embers, comes a lot of heat, and that's not always the healthiest thing, Tye and you know, burn bright to start anything flaming out. But when you have that in your gut, tie, when you've got that fire and something's not always there to deal with it. Maybe maybe there's some cheating, maybe there's some you know, maybe not fully you don't have full evidence. What I'm hearing is that this is a marriage built on lust and not love. That's what I'm That's what I'm trying to get you. You know, maybe Ole missed, or maybe Hugh Fraze discovered some weird texts, maybe bank account activity that just seems a little bit off.
Speaker 1: See I wrote down credit card debt on my sheets here there it is ty credit. It feels to me like a situation like you described, a lot of passion, a lot of lust to begin the marriage, and then slowly but surely, one side has mismatched expectations. Sure once an in ground pool, once a beach house runs up, the credit card, things start to kind of come off the swivel very casually they become I don't know, different people on different page is and that's when things start to go awry. Started great every so often, though every so often they can still click. They can still click. Still remember what brought them together had a few great years. But doctor Bo, I mean doctor Bro brought them that brought him together. But uh, here we sit now, and I think it's a case of mismatched expectations at this point. Yeah, listen, not everybody was meant to be long term is almost going to be any good this year.
Speaker 2: I like quarterback situation. Yeah, like Shape Patterson, I like Sha Patterson. That can cover for a lot. I don't think the depth is going to be there for a double digit type run, even close to it. But I think they can be exciting. I think they could be exciting.
Speaker 1: I wonder though, with all the depth elsewhere in the SEC West, because even if that side of the conference dips a little bit because there's been turnover, it's still pretty tough. True.
Speaker 2: The good news is, I think the offenses right now in the SEC West aren't necessarily the scariest pack. Yeah, we don't really know what to spect out of LSU Techa and M still has quarterback issues. Mississippi State, as promising as Nick Fitzgerald is, didn't put up a ton of offense at all times last season. Alabama should be good, but lose a lot on defense. Offensively, I think we're more confident in Alabama than we have been for a long time, just in terms of certainty of system, even without Lane Kiffin, but just with what they bring back. But it's not the worst time for ole Miss to have to win every game. Forty one thirty three. All right, let's move on before we do. Okay, a quick story here about our sponsor, Blue Apron. By the way, if you don't listen to the ads, please do that helps.
Speaker 1: Yes, it very much does. They sent me a script here, and I'm not going to read it because I actually have a really cool story. Rebel. A woman I work with has a son who's on internship in the Greater Northeast. I won't give too much away, but he's got an internship and he's not New York Islanders. He's not right, he's not. He's he plays goalie for the Islanders. Correct. No, up, He's up near Boston, but he's in an area where there's not an accessible grocery store. It's like forty five minutes away. That's not convenient. That's rough. It's not convenient. So her and I got to talking. I told her about Blue Apron. She said, do you think that would be a good idea for my son as well? You know he could, You could give it a pull. I gave her our code. She tried it out. She's now sending it to him on a weekly basis. He loves it. So he never cooked before in his life, doesn't have easy access to a grocery store, so if he comes home, doesn't really have any options outside something he can grab quick that's unhealthy. Now he's got something in Blue Apron that's quick, it's easy. It's helping him learn how to cook, and it's probably more exquisite than he would cook on his own because it comes. They give you step by step instructions, pre portioned ingredients, all that right to your door, and all for less than ten bucks a meal. Dan h oh, it's greatest deal, really good deal. You can customize the recipes based on your preferences, pick a delivery option, you can pick a day that's right for you, and there's no weekly commitment. So I would hope that my friend from work, when the internship's over, she would continue to send this to her wonderful sub solutely. But there's no commitment on her part. She didn't even got to tell me. And she decides that it's not something he's into anymore. She can pull it back. And it's great to cook for yourself. It's great skill to have cook for others. The one part of the script I did want to leave in here, though, are some of the meals available in June, because there's at least one word here I don't know how to pronounce. I love it. Here we go, warm smoked trout and asparagus salad with fingerling potatoes and garlic croutons. Yep, good so far. Spiced zucchini en schiladas with creamy lime and tomato rice. Easy enough, you nailed it. Yeah, yeah. Then there's this word elote style vegetable tostatas with summer squash and peblano peppers and cilantro rice. Is it elote or elote?
Speaker 2: It's alote. It's a Mexican style street corn. So you know, sometimes some lime, sometimes some cotti ha cheese, sometimes some cayenne or some sort of uh pepper, very very good. It's sort of sweet and spicy and acidic.
Speaker 1: Yes, alote and then peach honey glazed chicken with mashed sweet potatoes, collared greens and tie basil. That's t h I not ty Yeah. Those of you playing the home game check it out Blue Apron dot Com slash Solid. You get your first three meals for free if you want to try it with free shipping Blue Apron dot Com slash Solid. You're gonna love how good it feels and taste to cook. Incredible home cook Meals Blue Apron, don't wait, Blue Apron dot Com slash Solid, Blue Apron a better way to cook. Moving on, all right, Dan, you put the went on here? I did. So.
Speaker 2: We have a marriage between Notre Dame and not Brian Kelly.
Speaker 1: Notre Dame in independence, Notre Dame in independence. This isn't a real relationship though.
Speaker 2: I mean, what is Notre Dame's full time conference affiliation.
Speaker 1: Notre Dame is married to Independence, but Independence is not married to Notre Dame. It's the idea of independence. This is a my strange addiction situation, like where someone's into eating glass or hugging their car something.
Speaker 2: Like, wow, comparing Notre dames full time conference affiliation to eating glass.
Speaker 1: Okay, there's an unbalance between Notre Dame and independence. Notre Dame loves once needs that independence. Independence because it is not a real entity, couldn't give to you know what's about Notre Dame.
Speaker 2: I'm going to look up the standings on ESPN dot com for each conference and see where Notre Dame is lifted there.
Speaker 1: It is CEFP independence. That's what I'm seeing, Ty, there is a label joking aside. Here's what I know about Notre Dame in independence. I can't speak from the independence side of this relationship mm hmm, because I don't think it's a real side. But we'll just talk about the relationship as a whole. The relationship as a whole as this I can speak to it from the Notre Dame side of things. I was surprised, and I think non Notre Dame fans would be surprised if they really had a good sense for how much Notre Dame values it's independence. I think there is an impulse among Notre Dame haters out there to look at this and say that Notre Dame just thinks they're better than Big ten ACC at the Convention twelve. Right, they think they're better than college football norms, therefore they are not in a conference. I can tell you that that's an inaccurate depiction of Notre Dame. Notre Dame values that independence, and there are many examples of Notre Dame acting like it is better than something, all right, I don't want to discredit that part of the equation, but this is not one of those cases. They really truly have built this football program around this notion of independence, that they can go and play a USC one week, that they can go and play a Florida State the next week, that they're not tied into any real true conference affiliation though they play a lot of ACC teams. It really is the bedrock on which a lot of the thinking, the planning, the whatever that this football program is built. So it's definitely not coming from a place of Holier than Thou, though many other aspects of the program maybe so.
Speaker 2: I would say it's not an arranged marriage tie, but sort of in that old fashioned kind of way, they came together because they sort of fit together and what works for them might not work for others. And maybe they never had kids and everybody. They just sort of traveled the world and enjoyed life their way. And maybe their friends say, well, why don't you, you know, you live in a cold place, why don't you move to Florida, Arizona, California? Like, you know what, we like what we like, We like living here in Indiana.
Speaker 1: What about what about a common law marriage for this? That's not bad. Yeah, it's just they've been together for so long at this point the change wouldn't really make sense. It wouldn't make either of them happy to be apart from the other common law marriage. I don't know what the statute is for common law, but certainly they've eclipsed it at this point, right.
Speaker 2: Maybe an older couple who they just sort of they eat dinner, they eat breakfast at the place they like, They eat dinner at the place they like. Maybe their friends say, like, why don't you try Japanese food? Why don't you try Mexican food? And like, who whoa, we like our diner. Now, we're good like our diner.
Speaker 1: We like what we like. And there's you know, maybe every so often one or the other has some or maybe just notre dame. I guess, because that's the only true entity. Has some lingering resentment over what could have been, but ultimately, you know, we're just a We're just a diner couple. That's who we are, all right. I have nothing for this one. I have something. This is I always say something you do. This is Texas A and M and the SEC Dan. Yes, I'll tell you what. I was trying to kind of conjure up to me. A and M in the SEC logistically speaking, fits very well. It made a ton of sense to bring them into the SEC. Yep. It still feels, though, like the SEC hasn't fully accepted A and M. Okay, so they don't they fit. They don't fully fit. And that's about as far as I got.
Speaker 2: Here's what I'm thinking. I'm thinking of a divorce. A maybe not fully thinking through marrying a high maintenance trophy spouse looks great in pictures on paper in certain scenarios, you know, fancy dinners. You've got this beautiful human on your arm, but god, the maintenance is tough. There's you know, they're expensive, and you know they come with friends who are expensive and just sort of a pain. And you really didn't think through everything that would come along with you know, getting married so quickly after divorcing, and you know, the maturity, the understanding.
Speaker 1: It may just never happen. It might just be sort of separate pages that you know, we're satisfied with the situation, but never really fulfilled. You're describing, you're describing some sort of escort service that ultimately led to marriage. That's what I'm hearing here, Dan, Well.
Speaker 2: Money's involved, Hi, lots lots of money. So that's where I'm at right now. A divorce, a sort of thinking things would be better, but ultimately, you know, maybe it's there's just it's an uphill battle. Tie, it's an uphill battle.
Speaker 1: Who is a divorce in this equation? Well?
Speaker 2: Text A and m Lea at twelve? Okay, leaving the Big twelve, which was you know, an ex that was you know, it was a rocky relationship. Tie was a rocky but an ultimately, you know, a defensible break. But you know, there's there's baggage there, Tie, All right, there's baggage.
Speaker 1: But stay in the sec if you don't mind, please, I'm excited about this one. I have a hunch that after working on this show together for nearly ten seasons, now you and I are going the same place with edwar Gern in Lsu. Yes, this is when I think, so, oh yeah, this is raw ripping your clothes off passion here, Dan. It's still very early, So that's still very early. It could be a lust situation like we described earlier with Hugh Freeze, but I don't think so. I think this is I just wrote down on my sheet passionate intercourse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's different. I think it's different than Hugh frees I'll tell you why, Tye ed Arzron has long had his eye on this spouse. Okay, oh, long time crush.
Speaker 1: Like a high school sweetheart.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, But you know what, ty As, you know as is what happens. You know, you go your separate ways, you get married to others, and you live your life, and you know, maybe it could have been maybe not, who will ever know barring crazy circumstances.
Speaker 1: But here we are. Cam Cameron just didn't make you feel dangerous. Both divorced, both find themselves in the hometown, the home state, and you're like, why not? And finally made his move, perhaps a bit paranoid because so much has gone into this in his head that you know us you was getting hit on and eed all the time by all these other schools trying to have camps in the state of LSU. So he is fiercely protective.
Speaker 2: But we're still in that honeymoon stage, so you know, maybe a little over reacting. You know, if they're out at a restaurant and a stranger comes up, or you know, a friend comes up and is a little bit too hands or something like that.
Speaker 1: You're right, you're right.
Speaker 2: But you know, the passion runs deep. Let's hope it doesn't run too fiercely.
Speaker 1: And ls you always kind of had a type too, Yes, it always needed a little bit of crazy, a dash of crazy. It tried less miles for a while. Yeah, maybe this is a second marriage situation, you know, an over fifty union. Who knows. Oh, absolutely always kind of had that type, maybe with ed Ordron in the back of its mind. Yeah, getting a different kind of crazy now, but it's getting crazy in a different way.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, that's what they say to you. It's the it's your sexual peak.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, I'm going with that. Let's move on very quickly. A weird marriage here that we're going to describe. You have on our sheet. You pick this one, Yeah, I love this idea, the marriage between the Power five and the group of five. So, for those of you playing along at home, no idea, what we're talking about. Power five conferences obviously, ACC Big ten, Big twelve, PAC twelve SEC, Group of five. I could go and name those two, but essentially Team sun Belts American Conference USA. Yeah, essentially, And you know it's not their fault. They're sort of viewed as the kids table. I'm sure there are a group of five fans out there who are going to tweet, and that's not the right analogy, but yeah, i'd say more like triple A, you know, quadruple a kind of thing. You get the picture, you get the picture. They're kind of not viewed similarly because fewer resources, fewer resources. It's it's difficult for them to compete with the big boys I have so to speak, this to me, Dan feels like the guy who gets married but golfs seven nights a week and just does his best to spend minimal time with the spouse. Okay, you know, maybe they both like Game of Thrones. That's their Sunday night, that's what they do as a couple. Game of Thrones. Sunday Night. Seven episodes during the summer, quick, easy, painless. They could even watch it on demand if they want, But otherwise, you know, they live at the same address, but it's not particularly close. Maybe separate bedrooms. Yeah, maybe not active fighting, but just maybe maybe sort of a more a marriage out of convenience, not a lot of love there.
Speaker 2: I'd say, Yeah, married early on and through their trials and tribulations, and you know, as what happens sometimes with a younger marriage, you know, maybe they grow in different directions ty you know, one gets in better shape, one sort of lets themselves go. One you know, is career oriented. One doesn't care about career at all and focuses on other things. Do you have the same general interest Maybe they're you know, they're good parents. You know they you know, what's good for one is good for the other when it comes to the kids. In general interests, good people, but there's just there's a gap that's growing between the two of them, and you know, maybe they don't want to acknowledge it. Things can be awkward on double dates and group dinners, yeah, but ultimately they're they're in it for at least one good reason, but not at the same time. Always the most compatible with their big picture stuff.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, it was nice at Christmas when Charlie Strong was under the Christmas tree. Yeah. No, I thought that was a nice gesture. But things like that are few and far between. Sure, all right, moving on, it happens time, right Clay Helton and Usc. Yeah, you're still very young. You put this one down on the list. Yeah. I was actually gonna put it down on the list if you didn't, but you beat me to the punch here. I have many thoughts on this one, but I want you to go first. I wonder, I wonder if this isn't another one where we're both thinking along the same the same wavelength. Yeah. So Clay Helton always in you know, it's been in USC's life for a little bit. Friends.
Speaker 2: You know, never really thought about each other in that sort of serious way. But you know, after a chance encounter, they realized they had more in common than I realized. It was sort of the right person for you. Honeymoon still ongoing. Spouse already has a beautiful house. You know, it's it's just a matter of you know, do your yard work, you know, take care of the simple things. Because Clay Hilton married into a lot of money. Just don't don't screw up things, and you're gonna have a good life. Those are aready a beautiful car in the garage just waiting for Clay to drive, and so just maintain those chores, just be just be a good guy and uh, you know, clean out the gutters.
Speaker 1: Tie. I don't disagree with any of that. I think that's spot on. I would layer on top of it. One other life event that led to this being what it is. There was definitely a one night stand involved here that led to a love child being Sam Darnald whoa child fraternity though the ex husbands, I don't know. I don't know. I never really asked those questions. But I feel like the love child in this equation is Sam Darnald. Yeah, because let's be honest to Sam Darnald. Isn't there last year? If it's Max Brown the entire season and things come off the rails, and if they don't end up in the Rose Bowl, if they don't have the good Son, if they end up with Macaulay Caulkin from the good Son, it's a different story here. But Damn Darnold Rose Bull victory, exciting game over Penn state. You're alluding to a literal redheaded stepchild. That's right. If things go differently, we're talking about this in a much much different sense now in twenty seventeen. Sure, a little bit of a one night stand situation there, but it's working out so far. You know, I think it. I think they're a great couple. They're very cute. Okay, we'll see what happens. The triple option and Georgia Tech always an unlikely marriage. I thought anytime, anytime you've got the triple option, go into a Power five school, it is certainly like it's not nineteen twenty anymore. To have that kind of system being run within a Power five school is certainly far from the norms. It's a little odd. One of them's got an exotic pet, which is okay. I feel like this is a marriage that is in consoling.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I'm going to differ from you a little bit. I think this is the ultimate open marriage, Okay, where seems like a good idea. It's like, hey, should we should we do this? Should we run this flexbone? Should we like.
Speaker 1: I think we're gonna get.
Speaker 2: Are we gonna like maybe look at other couples and you know, maybe they're a little bit younger and doing some crazy things like is this should we and they go for it. T absolutely, I don't think they fully thought through the repercussions, whether it's what the baggage that comes along with that, so, whether it be recruiting, whether it be you know, trying to convince players from in a certain way, whether it's you know, the quarterback situation. You know, and listen, I don't know this personally, but there are highs, tie, there are absolute highs where you're just you know, you've got situations brewing that you know, maybe other school, they just the limitations are preventing. So this open marriage, you know, with great highs come great lows though, and so they're they're very distinct and seems like a.
Speaker 1: Good idea and you know what type for certain people it is.
Speaker 2: Certain people can pull it off, but it takes discipline and it takes understanding, and the ups and downs may be too much for Georgia Tech long term. So other couples that are looking at Georgia Tech are saying.
Speaker 1: Look look what they're they're doing. So inter Dan make up some choices. This is also a second marriage, but it's one in which both sides have children from previous relationships, previous marriages. Oh definitely, And they all need convincing, like none of them are totally sure it's going to work.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no, trust me, this is this is going to be spicy.
Speaker 1: Could be spicy, isn't always but right. I think a lot of counseling there, yeap, moving on fair Speaking of offensive marriages, more offensive marriages, depending on your point of view, let's talk about Gus mal Zhon's offense and its relationship with Auburn. Dan. I see this as a potential divorce in near future. Interesting fresh off the Sugar Bowl. Off the Sugar Bowl. I like Auburn, I like Jared Stidham. I think Sean White did an admirable job, excuse me, even though I did everything to tear him down in my power last year. But it's not the same. And Andy Staples, when we had him on a week ago, talked about this and he said, look, Gus Malzon knows how to coach offense, but it's not the same when he doesn't have Cam Newton. It's not the same when he doesn't have Nick Marshall. It's not the same when he doesn't have that true dual threat quarterback, and Jared Stidham has a little bit more of that than Sean White, no doubt. But he's not Cam Newton. He's a run like Nick Marshall. So Andy seemed reasonably skeptical that this is something that's going to work out long term. Malson applying his offense or his version of that offense to presumably what Jared did and brings to the table. So I see this as a as a potential divorce. I gotta be honest. I hate to be hate to be pessimistic when it comes to marriage, but you know, the statistics are about fifty to fifty nowadays. So I have coined to move get out there, Dan, you and I one of us statistically statistically speaking, it's not looking good for one of us. Okay, I got to be a realist here, So I'm sorry that Gus Malson might be getting the short end of the stick here.
Speaker 2: Wow, I'm a little bit more optimistic than you are. You know, it's a relationship that has had its ups and downs. Started pretty powerfully, but you know, sometimes you just you need a spark, and this year with the Jared Stidham situation. Maybe they're going for outside help. Maybe they're just they're really going for it and taking a vacation. They're going to the Cream, they going to the Bahamas, they're going to Mexico, and they're just like they're going to sort it all out there, and we just need that spark, some kind of retreat, a retreat. Absolutely. You know, there's a situation from the Gus side where he always has this complex maybe overshadowed by his more successful in the marriage of the more successful big brother, you know tie, where you know, everything is sort of compared to them.
Speaker 1: Comments.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not quite fair to either side. And I think what they have to do is get over that. And so if this couple can accept the marriage for what it is, I think there'll be an okay shape. But it's a matter of perspective, it's a matter of context. It's a matter of expectation and setting those expectations at a nimble place.
Speaker 1: You know what it kind of feels like to me? What's that? It feels to me like a situation where there's a marriage and both went into it thinking that they wanted children, but shortly into it, one of them changed their mind, it's like, yeah, I still want kids, No, I don't trying.
Speaker 2: To think of like who like who if your like older sibling was like, what is a marriage where at least from the outside we're thinking. Man, It's like Gus Malzon's older brother is John Legend and he's singing to Chrissy Tagan on TV. Yeah, And Auburn's like, why aren't you singing to me on why you're you're not John Legends?
Speaker 1: Yeah? What do you why aren't you doing?
Speaker 2: Like And then he's like, well, you're no Chrissy Tigan And it's a whole thing.
Speaker 1: It's a big thing. Yeah. And then he tries, maybe he tries, gets a gets a few shiner box in him, he tries, Dan tries to be Johnny Legend. But it just pisses off Auburn, Right, you know, quit trying to be something you're not. And she's just like, you're ed Sheeran, You're never gonna be John Legends. Yeah. And Edan's fine, ed Churan's fine, Sharan's great, he's great, but he wants to be John Legend. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you gotta you just you have to know your role, you have to know the context. You have to know your place in life.
Speaker 1: Wow, I feel like we really got somewhere with that one. Dan.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I have a bonus one that I didn't put on our list, okay, just because I thought about it a few minutes before the show, And that is the still relatively young, but it is now developed into an interesting place marriage between Chris Peterson and the Washington Huskies. And I have some thoughts. I don't know if you have thoughts. I'm just springing this on you.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, let's let's think of some of the the atmospherics around this relationship here. There was talk for a while that Washington would be the only job he would leave Boise for Chris Peterson Bachelor for Life. Yeah, there was talk that that that was a job that he really wanted. He was obviously, he was obviously very very satisfied. I think, you know, from a career standpoint, being at Charlezy State, and there was much debate about if he would ever decide to go and play in a power five situation. He's obviously going on now to thrive at Washington, and he seems happy there.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking Chris Peterson is like you look at you look at him, and you look at Washington from Afar and you're like, is that the perfect relationship? This isn't a David Shawn Stanford where they've been together for a while and you've seen them in all sorts of scenarios and it just keeps clicking and working. But you look at them and you're like, man, they just they haven't figured out. He's he's printing itineraries for their trips. He's like, she comes home from work and he's cooking. He's organized. You know, he's very clean, he's it's good to be well. Listen, trust me as a disgusting person.
Speaker 1: Rush teeth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, Like, oh, I'm just saying, like, he doesn't leave a mess in the kitchen.
Speaker 1: Tie.
Speaker 2: You know, he doesn't leave a mess in the bathroom. You know, his toenail clippings aren't everywhere. He's just like he's a grown up. He's got it together. He's a catch tie and you.
Speaker 1: Know, maybe he's a little nervous and clams up a you know, fancy occasions, and that's okay. He's from a small town. He's a little out of his elements. It's great he's still in you earing. That's the thing about him. You take him in a heartbeat tie. Even though he might not fit perfectly into every high falutin situation, right, still a good guy. They're finishing each other sentences. Tie. Yeah. Yeah, maybe they are the ones that start to look a lot alike. Yeah, just physics, see that. Absolutely. What was your shaving situation on this honeymoon?
Speaker 2: That's a great question. So I use a beard trimmer to sort of maintain the look. I you know, this this highly crafted look that they have, right, I didn't shave for a while, And this is totally true. I didn't shave for a while. It started itching like crazy. I had my beard trimmer with me, you know, trimmed everything, and it felt a lot better.
Speaker 1: I got home from the honeymoon, and what do I see as I'm like scratching my itchy neck because I didn't bring a straight razor on the trip, which I used to shave my neck to just so I don't have an Andrew Luck neck beard. A beard to bee is sure. So I get back and I've got this beautiful package from Harry's on my counter. I had this this that's actually a double and I was like, are you kidding? Manna?
Speaker 2: From the gods, and I just I take a shower, I shave up, and then I use this Harry's in the lotion they sent the shaving cream whatever it's jel, It's phenomenal clean up the neck felt like a new man. And it all ties together to our beautiful wedding and marriage episode.
Speaker 1: Harry's sent each of us two shave sets. Yeah, good heft. I don't know if you had a chance to give your other one away, if you're going to keep it for yourself. I gave mine away. I've already given Harry's away to all the fathers I know. But I found another one, another gentleman at the mysterious day job who is a new father, and I said, here, here you go. You know, he's got a very serious beard situation. I know he uses the straight razor to kind of manicure his beard. I gave it to him. He loves it. Nice. What's cool about Harry's right now is Father's Days this weekend? All right, true, So it's a good gift for fathers out there. Gives you a close shave. I've been using Harry's forever. Gives you a close shave. You got the comfortable glide. It comes with a bunch of stuff right now at a fair price, which I think is what's important. One hundred percent quality guarantee. They'll give you a full refund if you try it and you don't like it. Right now, go to Harrys dot com h r r ys dot com slash Solid and redeem a special offer right now for soliverbal listeners. They will give you five bucks off one of their shave sets. And I'm telling you we got the shave set. It's pretty legit, nice sturdy handle. Comes with a little travel case for the razor, which I think is very underrated. You get some yeah, you get some shaving cream in there, an underrated like little metal stand to put your razor in. Just nice stuff, high quality stuff. Again, five bucks off their shave sets. It is for a limited time, so you got to act now. But it's Harry's dot com slash Solid. You get five bucks off and you will help support the solid verbal do it. So there youhow I'm actually gonna play this one more time here, Dan, I'm ready. So what I didn't want to do in your absence and I know you did it in my appsence when I was in Jamaica when he did a show with Ryan. But I did I recap you kind of did a recap with I apologize now it's fine bygones. That was like many moons ago, Dan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you did have the chance to eventually sure talk through it.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. I wanted to talk to you about your wedding now. Okay, we have many longtime listeners. They I feel were with me every step of the way through my wedding two years ago. And we've gotten a lot of tweets and emails and just commentary otherwise, people congratulating you on your marriage. I'm going to give you another round of applause here. Congratulations to you. Thank you wife, the newest solid wife. That's true. You got married in Chicago. Would you like to walk people through the festivities what we what we all experienced a couple weekends ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we got married in Chicago May twenty. I should know my very recent anniversary.
Speaker 1: Don't forget that, Dan very eving forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Sunday, May twenty eighth, Saturday was the rehearsal dinner. My parents hosted it at Manny really Good Deli in Chicago, just because we liked deli food and it was like an available space and it was big and could rent it out.
Speaker 1: It was cafeteria style.
Speaker 2: I don't think we talked about your rehearsal dinner or anything, because you know, I just am an idiot about food. But it was a terrific time, and there was trick or treating at the end of it. I didn't know any of that was going to happen. There were speeches that all turned out pretty well. I would say West Coast Kevin and Lioni fan Scott did a good job.
Speaker 1: They scripted that out. Yeah, they would go back and forth even if even if the speech bombed, which it didn't. The speech was great. But even if it would have, you still had to give them prompt because they put a lot of heart and soul into that.
Speaker 2: Yes, so they did a great job. The New Solid Wife I really got to get permission. This is such a pain in the ass to say every time her friends did a fantastic job. There was nobody overly drunk. There was no you know, it was just everything was just good.
Speaker 1: Doc Rubinstein put together was that an iMovie video that I saw? He uses photo to movie, which is like Okay software for just slideshows with more okay, I don't know, more and more pizazz, more pizaz, yes, okay, yes. So that was like the whole thing of pictures of her and I growing up and then together. And everybody seemed to like that. And it was candy and all the tables, and at the end everybody sort of could trigg or treat and grabbed candy. I neither one of us are huge sugar people, but it seemed like a fun thing, sure, and it was very cool to sort of see.
Speaker 2: Everybody gathered and ready for the big day. So did you eat well that night? I ate well, Kate, and I ate very well.
Speaker 1: Yep. We had We had numerous options at Manny's, which told is a very popular deli in the area. A lot of folks like it's actually quite big. When they opened up the dividing door dividing wall, he didn't realize how big of an establishment it was. But it was a very nice place. And yeah, a lot of great options, good food. What did you eat? Had some of their mac and cheese because they had they had it. And this is not because I'm uncultured. I mean I am uncultured. I find it looked very good, but They had two different kinds of mac and cheese, and I tried a kind with like a longer noodle that I hadn't seen before. They had some chicken there, which was really really outstanding turkey nice, so I think I had a little bit of everything, and then some of the dessert options were pretty solid as well. Good so I sang it a lot.
Speaker 2: I had only been there to eat once beforehand, but that is like the legendary deli of Chicago. It was fantastic style deli. Yeah, fantastic.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Next day, so did not sleep in the same hotel room as the new solid wife. I think I shared a room with you. I shared a room with one of my brothers, and next day woke up, went for a run with camera guy Dave West Coast Kevin, a Lini fan Scott and that was nice. Ran along Michigan Avenue. So the hotel venue was right on it's called excuse me, the whole tel and the venue of the wedding we're on the same block. And it was on Michigan Avenue overlooking Monnium Park and the lake. It was great place called Venue six y ten. Highly recommend having an event there. It was really cool, so went for a run. Then later on got tacos at Rubies, which is if you have him into Rubies in Chicago, only open on Sunday's best Alpas store in the city in my opinion, So that was wonderful, And then came back, got changed. The photographer was in the room, also in solid wife's room, taking pictures as we're getting dressed and prepared with some friends. And then walked over across the street to the park took some pictures. Which where did you You took your pictures on the Lee High campus?
Speaker 1: Correct? We took our pictures, yes, on the Lee Hike. And it was a very nice day. It was a nice day. I think we would have preferred it a little warmer. But we got married April twenty fifth, so okay, April twenty fifth, Eastern Pennsylvania. Yeah, a little brisk, We had a steady wind. All things considered that time of year. We lucked out with the weather. So it worked out. It wasn't nearly as nice as I think it was for yours, but it worked out. The hours was like seventy and Sony was perfect. How many times would you say if I gave you an over under of eleven and a half. Yeah, how many times would you say? The photographer said, all right, Tyan Kate kiss. We didn't have a whole lot of the kiss photos. We had so many and it was not requested. Yeah, it was not something I was like, hey, go heavy on the smooth requests. I never said that.
Speaker 2: I do not believe the new solid wife did either, because she was a little It was a lot and you know what, maybe the pictures will turn out grat haven't seen him yet. But it was all right, we're at the top of these stairs in the park, give her a kiss. Okay, we're walking down this path, give her a kiss, and like our parents and family are all there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The lasting memory that I have of the photography situation, I kept thinking to myself, are are you sure that we're not going to owe you extra for all the pictures you've take? I feel like they took oh y five thousand pictures? Yeah, so was this You took some though after the ceremony, right, Yeah, we had some during, We had some after the SERI I mean like the posed outside stuff. Ye yeah, yeah, I mean we had we had the full We had some at the reception, but by and large. It just felt like a lot of photos, a ton of photos, and they obviously went through and cherry picked the better ones. But yeah, it it the photo situation. To me. There were good photos, a lot of good photos that came out of that experience, but it just it was long. Yeah, it's a large, long and sort of uncomfortable. I'm not used to posing like that.
Speaker 2: We took one of those pictures, like on a median on Michigan Avenue, like the big street in Chicago, so like it's the cars passing by will be all blurry, but we're going to be and you know that kind of thing. So we took a couple of those.
Speaker 1: I have an important question, please, in any of the photographs, did they capture the mister Leatherman contest that was also going on in Chicago that weekend? Oh, we'll get there. They did not. We did not do that. I won't. I won't steal your thunder. You can get no, Okay. I meant to talk about that before.
Speaker 2: What Ties alluding to is on the same block in Chicago, and this is a thing that's been happening since nineteen seventy nine. Mister leather International, Yes pageant, I guess would be the word. I don't know what exactly it is, but it contests, and it's a lot of gentlemen wearing a lot of leather or excuse me, a little bit leather.
Speaker 1: Up. Yeah, oh, the leather being to leather. Yeah, yeah, just you would.
Speaker 2: I would walk down and there would be a dude wearing shorts that were you know, we're talking about like a three inch in seam like short short leather shorts.
Speaker 1: The shortest umbros you can imagine and wait out, yes, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe just a vest with nothing underneath it. Maybe later Hosen Ryan, of course Ryan. Nanny saw two guys talking. One said had like a later hozen or something that said daddy and like a bejeweled look, and the guy next to him had said Daddy's boy.
Speaker 1: Was it was? It was an interesting experience. Solid wife Kate and I walked into a tie restaurant and into a sea of men wearing tight leather and we looked around bewildered as to what was occurring because we can't go and after it for his wedding, that's what's coming. Yeah. I wasn't sure what kind of a wedding you were hosting. Dan. It fea. Then I looked it up online and I saw, okay that there was other festivities in Chicago, which added a little flavor for sure.
Speaker 2: I was thrilled with it. I thought, you know, the celebratory fevers in the air.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So absolutely.
Speaker 2: Also, my friend Mike, who was in town from Idaho, had been in town for two days because he got there early to go to a Cubs game and hadn't noticed a thing I hadn't noticed, and is like not because he's like, well, I just you know, I lived my life and whatever.
Speaker 1: He just was completely oblivious and like as he was saying this to me, and like the hotel lobby, a dude walked in wearing leather chaps, no shirt and a leather captain's hat. Yeah. And I was like, Mike, take a look. There's a lot of leather over there. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And the guy had like walked away by the time Mike turned around and didn't see it. And then I got a text from the next day he was like, well, yep, nope, you were right.
Speaker 1: He was staying at the same hotel. Yeah, absolutely he was that. Kate and I were at how you could possibly miss that is beyond me. Yeah, it was a leather bound weekend. By the way, I did have a chance to meet Mike, who I believe was your first ever. Yeah, that's true. He was the first tie nice guy, way taller than he's great. Probably he was a lot taller but very short, deeper voice to the more talented broadcaster. Yeah, so I would.
Speaker 2: So then we go in to the to the venue and just sort of getting ready beforehand whatever, and.
Speaker 1: Just everything works out well.
Speaker 2: We have a couple of musicians playing music as everybody seated, and you know, there's the processional. Everything starts out pretty well. Everybody's walking in, brothers, solid, wife's brother, my now brother in law, parents, everything like that. I walk in and you know, obviously before the bride there are.
Speaker 1: Flower girls ring bear or whatever. And a flower girl just eats it just and I wouldn't fully blame. It's two years old, and there was like a very slippery runner running down the aisle, and you know, my parents were like, yeah, that wasn't like the easiest thing to walk on. And she just eats it and starts crying, as normal two year olds will do. And then it was sort of a thing and then everything went well. Yeah, at the same oh, except for one other thing which was unexpected to me, which I'm sure you remember this. We have a rabbi who marries us. Yeah, oh wow, yeah, you can't leave this part out. So I had never at him before. When I say we have a rabbi, it's not a personal rabbi of mine. He was you know, solid wife's family knows him, and he was great, and you know, met him on Skype a little bit beforehand, and he's going over things like you know, and Dan, you promised to take care of her, you know, as you know, spiritually and emotionally, and then there's just like this little gap in what he sang and then goes sexually, and I'm so all of a sudden, it's sort of like my mind is in like matrix neo slow motion, like as like the words are bullets. Fine happened. It was literally like the hot Stanky Drummond Fife, but during your wedding ceremony.
Speaker 2: And it wasn't like a vow. It wasn't like and you Dan will take care of you know. It was just sort of like this is what marriage is. You're gonna take care of her sexually. And he's like in his seventies.
Speaker 1: This is not like a cool hip young Nope, rap, No, this is just sort of like out of nowhere not and I in retrospect it's.
Speaker 2: You know whatever, It's fine, what am I gonna do?
Speaker 1: But after he says this, because we are we are facing forward, so it's not like it's not like we're holding each other's hands sort of perpendicular to the crowd, and we can like see people. It's just we're seeing parents on the side view and the rabbi in front of us. And he goes.
Speaker 2: Sexually, and all of a sudden, for the next twelve seconds, I'm hearing all behind me as there are one hundred and fifty people saying did he just say sexual?
Speaker 1: Well, my first thought is I haven't been to a whole lot of rabbi rabbi led weddings, you know, Jewish weddings. Yeah, And I'm like, maybe that's part of the normal regimen. And then my second thought is that's probably not. And I bet Dan wrote that just to try and get a lot of people. Oh, and then I talked afterwards, and I talked to everyone else afterwards, and everyone else was also caught a bit off guard by the sexually reference there sexually and I get you know, obviously the ceremony ends, we kiss, I break the glass, which I did a great job with me. Yeah, you you really put some hooks butt into that din I stretched out before him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think it was Ran came up to me and just went sexually. I was like, goddamn, it was unexpected, but it's a good story. But it was very strangely did he say that?
Speaker 1: And then so there was that.
Speaker 2: Everything went well. I thought the party was terrific. And I'm biased, but I thought the band was huge and wonderful. I thought they did a great job sort of. I mean, did you hear any classic rock, any eighties rock?
Speaker 1: Tie? I think you did a pretty good job of a song, a pretty good job of guiding the musical adventure.
Speaker 2: If it were a Spotify playlist, we're talking, you know. Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Riah Carrey. Just sort of eighties nineties, no doubt about it. Dance music, sing along whatever, a little bit of sort of older there was like earth Wind and Fire and Jackie Wilson whatever, but really going for high energy. We had like the first dance, Oh, I had a custom intro for myself with.
Speaker 1: The Chicago Bulls. I caught that introduction. I caught that, by the way, that hit on the wedding pool, which I will address here briefly. That oh good that we haven't discussed this at all, but that counts as a special dance intro. Absolutely, we're gonna like ten points.
Speaker 2: I walked in with wearing a warm up suit that I unzipped and ripped away tearaway pants to reveal my suit for that intro. Then we had the first dance. I thought the food was great. We had four stations. The doughnut wall was terrific. It wasn't as evenly dispersed as I picked.
Speaker 1: See that was going to be. I'm not I'm not one two split hairs like you. Really you really took a battle axe to my wedding, Dan, Is that true? There are people in my family who don't ever want to talk to you again.
Speaker 2: Wow, Oh, I thought you meant taking a battle axe to your wedding in terms of how good my wedding was.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no no no, I'm talking you were very critical of my wedding after the fact. All I said you said the food was okay. You didn't like the music. This is no. There are people in my family, Dan, you better not come around these parts anymore.
Speaker 2: Just say, we all have First of all, we all have things we like and don't like that or unique to us. I thought the food was totally good at your wedding. I the band was talented, But again, what did I just say? I didn't want eighties rock and they played eighties rock. That's my taste, that's my personal taste.
Speaker 1: Just saying you come you come around these parts, you're gonna get brush backed.
Speaker 2: I don't want to hear living on a prayer. That's fine, that's me, that's me. It wasn't my wedding.
Speaker 1: My one bit of critical feedback was going to be the asymmetrical quality of the donut wall peg. You're not wrong. I was trying. I was looking. At one point, I walked over to it and I stared at it as if it were one of those magic eyes, like I was trying to see the sailboat or some hidden shape within. I was really trying to figure out, for the life of me, what the logic behind the peg sequence was. It seemed to be somewhat random.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it looked like an alien invader like the fixilated just sort of I had I did not know that. I thought it was going to be like looking at a connect four board, like.
Speaker 1: Right, That's what I thought. And on the wedding sheet, I had an over under of ninety donut pegs. Yeah, no, that was there were like fourteen on there, but in a different pattern than I had expected. The donuts were fine, The donuts were great. The donut wall, to me, I was it wasn't so much that I didn't like it, as I was just trying to figure it out. I was curious.
Speaker 2: I think, Yeah, I think a lot of or at least a percent of the donut wall appeal is at aesthetic of just looking at a wall with rows and rows of pegs of donuts. Yeah, and this was more and maybe this is an efficiency thing. I don't run weddings professionally. Maybe it was like a fewer pegs, but like have multiple donuts on each pegs. It's just like a more efficient way of doing things. I don't know, that's what it ultimately was. I got myself a blueberry old fashioned donut and I was thrilled.
Speaker 1: So they were very good. Ultimately ended up well, But yeah, You're not wrong.
Speaker 2: I did not know that was going to happen. I probably should have brought it up, but who you know at this point, you know.
Speaker 1: Spell water under the bridge. It's fine, absolutely nobody.
Speaker 2: I mean, you're going to go over the gambling pool. I thought the band was terrific. The food seemed to work out well.
Speaker 1: I don't I hope.
Speaker 2: I don't think people were waiting in lines for the majority of the time, if at all, for a lot of the stations. I thought it moved pretty quickly. The crowd was great. You knew a lot of like the espianation and sports people that were there.
Speaker 1: It was great.
Speaker 2: Our friend Bill Barnwell, who will be back on the show, yes in a few weeks here, probably to do a new specialty episode, had a good time. Our friend Nicole Auerback was there.
Speaker 1: You know it was. It was a great time.
Speaker 2: So I am I'm relieved it's all over, just because a lot went into it and UH had it like went to a bar briefly afterwards nearby.
Speaker 1: But no, I wouldn't.
Speaker 2: Our final song I think was Mariah Carey's fantasy Yep.
Speaker 1: I thought that.
Speaker 2: I thought they did a great job with that. I was on stage for a song, the customized song. I listened, Ty, I thought it was a.
Speaker 1: Very good jobs. You did a very good job Kate's thoughts. So Kate enjoy herself, Kate, Kate very much enjoyed herself. We both good. I've had a great time in Chicago, and uh, yeah, it was just a lot of fun and graduation.
Speaker 2: I don't I was not unlike the wedding that I attended in Allentown. I was not the best dancer on the dance floor that night. I was the sweatiest. I was perhaps the most enthusiastic. But Matt Offford, Matt Afford.
Speaker 1: Has moves, he does have. He goes after it. He really, you know, he fully commits to it. That's the thing about dancing. I'm not a good dancer's commitment. You're right, you have to fully commit. It doesn't matter how bad it looks. If you fully commit, that's fine. And really, he really goes for it, and he has moved there, doesn't move too. Yeah. Yeah, So his wife actually won the wedding pool. Is that true? Yes, his wife, His wife tied with my wife for the wedding pool. Actually, Ryan has been after me to send out the results. I have yet to do that. I've been tied, but I will be sending those out in short order. But yeah, I had things like, you know, over under length the wedding ceremony, how many guest tables are there going to be? How many toasts and speeches will there be? I told you about the pegs. The big one, though, was really the random events. And the way that the pool works is you put a series of events that could possibly occur and have people pick three of them. So things like the bride and groom doing a special dance move upon entrance at the reception, that's nearly a given. That's like a five to ten point. No, it wasn't dancing per se, but it was such a special intro. It's a special movie. You have things like the groom will cry or faint, which I've seen happen. I don't believe you did either.
Speaker 2: I did not do either. His old wife has seen it recently, but I have not.
Speaker 1: Then you step up the things like the MC is going to mispronounce somebody's name, which I also think they did. Okay, I don't think they were, Yeah, I think they were. Think they were clean. Yeah, Then you get the things like an ice sculpture. Didn't see any of those. We're getting progressively higher in point total here right the flower girl or ring bearer getting spooked and or refusing to walk down the aisle. I counted that. I counted that because I heard.
Speaker 2: If I had known, if I had inside information, I would have said five out of five certainty.
Speaker 1: To go for it. We heard crying, We heard one of the younglings yelling no in the back before the ceremony. Kate and I counted that Nicole Auerback was the only one who got that wow, and that was like a solid fifteen twenty twenty five points somewhere in there. The other one that got a ton of action that I was a little disappointed didn't happen, was we had heavy action. Ninety three percent of our respondents thought that the Rabbi was either going to reference the University of Michigan or the University of Oregon, and he did not.
Speaker 2: Well, wait, who didn't reference universal Michigan. The rabbi didn't.
Speaker 1: He needed to actually say the words Michigan or organ and he did neither.
Speaker 2: Okay, but tangential ty the Yamica had both an organ logo.
Speaker 1: I specifically said in the random events section about the rat then you have other things about someone wearing jeans live doves. I had a first dance wager in there that someone would puke or pass out, things like that. The first dance was pre two thousand and five. Our song I believe you had Ingrid Michaelson, which I believe was two thousand and six. Maybe. Oh, okay, the override we had was like two thousand and eleven, so it was way under but okay, good. I will be sending those results out. I'll copy you on it. Wow. Just then it takes it home. Yep. Jenny and wife tied with with and my wife excuse me, tied with ninety points. And then we had some other wedding slash marriage luminaries like a LIONI fan Scott, your brother Alex. Someone else who tied for second was seventy five points. But yeah, good time all around. Again. I thank you for the invite. It was great to get out to Chicago, and I trust that you had a great trip. We don't need to go into the full details of the trip, but Greece and Italy.
Speaker 2: Mooning was great. Mooning was fantastic, eighty degrees and sunny every day. I had a ton of sun.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 2: A couple boat rides won in Greece, went in like not fairies, like we went on like excursions around the islands and jumped in sulfur springs and the beautiful a Malfy coast.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: I enthusiastically recommend Captain ted and Greece. He was that's his name, and he's wonderful and it was a great boat trip.
Speaker 1: Rome was great.
Speaker 2: I know a lot of people are people either like really love Rome. It's you know, it's a little bit dirty and there's ruins everywhere, and you know, it's it's a lot to take in. I loved it ate really well. Our pal David Wonderlick, who actually I think lives in Naples, send me send us a long email saying to not eat Roman pizza. I did have Roman pizza once, just because it's thin and not as tasty as Neapolitan, the more classic or more well known style of Italian pizza. But I got plenty of Neapolitan pizza both in Rome. Outside of Rome, Nice a Malfi Coast was fantastic. I will tell you this tie at our hotel, which was great. Shout out to Casa Angelina and Priyano, the Malfy Coast one. They have a So it's in the cliffs over the water and there's a beach club at the base, and it's beach is sort of a misnomer because there's not sand. You just sort of jump off of like the cement on the club into the water and it's great.
Speaker 1: The water's great.
Speaker 2: I went topless, okay at the beach club, just because it's here in Europe and whatever. No, there were there were a number of people who sort of exercised that very European mentality with clothing or lack thereof ty. What I'm telling you is it was Mike Pence's nightmare.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: It was and you know what, tie. The people that were exercising this were not unattractive.
Speaker 1: Okay, they logical. Next question.
Speaker 2: There was an Australian contingent tie that acquitted themselves very nicely. So there was that situation, but that was great. The other thing I will add, and uh, this is the final night we decided to go to it the super nice restaurant that's within our hotel. It was we just didn't want to travel. We wanted it to be like, you know, we're just it's overlooking the water.
Speaker 1: It's beautiful.
Speaker 2: So we go to this place knowing it's super nice. It was the most and I don't mean this in a purely negative way, because it was delicious. The food was very good. It was like the most pretentious experience in a restaurant I've ever had, And that's probably more reflective on me not really caring that much about fine dining. But I just didn't expect it. First of all, I walked in wearing a button down. It was a hot, hot day, it was at eight o'clock, eight thirty whatever, a button down shorts, nicer shorts though, gino shorts, and flip flops, which was probably that's on me. You gotta be you gotta be better with footwear. And so the elevator opens at the hotel right into where the host is standing the maitre d or whatever. The host is standing at this indoor outdoor hotel, indoor outdoor restaurant above the hotel. She looks at me and she's like, oh, welcome, What time is your reservation? All the eight thirty and then she.
Speaker 1: Says, all right, we will get you all set, but we do have a no flip flop policy, no eyes and no eye slides at all, no.
Speaker 2: Eye slides, none to be seen. So as soon as you're able to change into closed toed shoes, it doesn't matter what kind, but they do. We do need a closed toe from gentlemen. We'll see you and I'm happy.
Speaker 1: To serve you. Like, so we go back to the elevator and I'm fuming. I'm like, never in my life, never have I been so And I'm like, let's just go to the cafe across the and solid wife was like, we're here, you know, and she then was like, well maybe we should, Like no, let's go to the back. And I just put on, you know, with crappy shoes that I was walking in all day.
Speaker 2: And we go back. We sit down, it's super nice. We look at the menu. Woman comes over and she's like, can I start off wine?
Speaker 1: You know, water whatever?
Speaker 2: We say, yeah, I mean, let's do a glass of wine. And you like flat water, you know it's because it's flatter, sparkling. Sure, and she says great, and she comes over with not a piece of paper but a book. Why don't you take a look at our water? Why don't you take a look at our water menu. So we then found water that was like a seven seven dollars bottle of avy on because that was basically the cheapest I think got.
Speaker 1: A water menu.
Speaker 2: And our reservation was for eight thirty and like between courses, you we get appetizers and drinks whatever. They just keep bringing you little bites and the meal takes for friggin ever. It took so long, much like this podcast, but it's we're like two and a half hours in exhausted. We need to get up the next morning at like six am, and they just keep bringing stuff and it's all delicious, and we're just full and tired, and we ordered desserts. I get like a chocolate moose. It comes a little bowl of spoon whatever. And as I'm eating the chocolate moose, I look down and as you can imagine, chocolate boose comes a little bwl little spoon whatever. I realize that both the bowl and spoon are made of chocolate, and I was like, you know what, this is wonderful.
Speaker 1: This is Ex's not so bad. Life's not so bad, and we're full, and then I asked for the check and they're like, well, one more thing, and they wheel over a tray with like fifteen pounds literally fifteen pounds of just chocolate, and I have to turn away a dessert tray of chocolate because I'm full. And that was wow.
Speaker 2: Well I was turned away for my flip flops, and then evening ends with me turning away a fifteen pound chocolate tray.
Speaker 1: It was It was a good time.
Speaker 2: I recommend the Amalfi Coast to any but post Aitano was pretty touristy. Capri is very touristy. I yelled at a middle aged woman about over taxis who accused me of cutting a line. I didn't speak any Italian and she didn't speak English.
Speaker 1: It was not great.
Speaker 2: Other than that, that is a beautiful area of the world. Tie and it was very difficult to leave. So I had a great time.
Speaker 1: Well good, it's good to have you back. But I'm glad you had that experience and it was a lot of fun to to share in the festivities with you guys. So thank you again for the invite.
Speaker 2: And tell me who, tell me who was upset at me? Who was upset at the comments? You know about the comments of your wedding.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not saying, I'm not saying anything more. Is it that fraud? Elliott people? People on this side of this side of the fence seem to think that you were very critical of the Hilton brit nutsoles. Are we talking about Uncle Joe? I'm not giving out names. Are we talking Mama Ag' I'm not gonna give my sources away. I can't talk about it in an open session. I had a magical time at your wedding, all right. It was a Patriot League wedding. How could I be upset about that? This has been a fun show. Yeah, please do subscribe to the podcast if you haven't already. Yeah, you haven't had enough of this by now. We're at itubes dot com, slash soliverbe if you want to subscribe on Apple Podcasts. We're also on Facebook and Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, the usuals. Do check out our sponsors for this evening, Blue Apron endorsed by my friend from work, as well as Harry's endorsed by both Dan and I. Here for all of your shaving needs.
Speaker 2: Man, one more question, yeah, please, or maybe you're already going in this direction. What do we have coming up until the season.
Speaker 1: It's funny you should ask that, Dan, because we're in mid June, right, we know each other quite well. We've actually done some long range planning, oh Man, which is uncomfortable for us. It's not something we learned until about a year and a half ago. But right, Yeah, we've got a few concepts coming up here in the next few weeks as we get into July, I think we really get into the stuff that we're really excited about. We've got another one of our How College Football Works shows coming up. We did How Coaches Get hired? Yeah, we did how new Quarterbacks Get brought aboard with Yogi. We're going to do a How Recruiting Works. We're gonna we're gonna roll out the red carpet here to do a full on production how Recruiting Works, which we're both excited about. We've got the show coming up with our good friend Bill Barnwell at some point later in July. We're still not going to give the concept of that show away because we don't want anyone else to do it. But I'm really excited about that one.
Speaker 2: I think we're gonna it's gonna be a very polarizing show.
Speaker 1: We've also got later on in July probably before we get into August and start doing team previews and whatnot. We're gonna do the history of the Salaverbo because this is going to be your tenth full season doing the show, and much like our friends over at the Starter's aka the Basketball Jones, we're going to walk you through the full tenure history of how Dan and I got to do and all this stuff. Anyway, so that'll be a lot of fun team previews coming up in August. Obviously, latter part of August we're gonna start doing some, you know, some weekly previews, and before we get there, there is going to be a live gig, presumably on a Saturday night in August, where we do a Fantasy Things draft, which we got to start talking about probably after the show, but keep your ears peeled for that. We'll send out notice to the email list and we'll certainly talk about it on the podcast, but it's going to be one Saturday night in August. Yes, it's gonna be great. We've got a shirt coming out at some point in the next couple weeks which we're excited about. All sorts of things breaking here on soliverbal front, So pay attention. Where's we find out.
Speaker 2: I mean, will we send out a newsletter of intents?
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, we'll We'll do it much like we did for the shut Yeah, we'll take We'll take orders in advance so that everyone who wants one can get one. Just got to make sure you pay attention. I got some folks who are waiting for a new shirt to drop. So yeah, just stay tuned all the usual channels, Facebook, Twitter, and uh. If you're part of the newsletter of intent mailer, we'll send it there as well. Indeed, that's all I got in me, ty Dan. This has been fun, a little longer than usual, but we got the full recap. We talked about marriages on the college football side and on the Rubinstein side as well. Mm hmm. Congratulations to you again, find sir. It is good to have you back, and thank you to everyone out there for bearing with us here as we went through the full recap of all things college football and otherwise. For that guy over there, and for myself, Tie Hill and Grant here in good old Eastern PA. Thanks again for listening, catching in a week and in the meantime, stay solid, Hey Bud.