Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio final hour in this Monday best and wordst to the weekend.
Speaker 2: More of your phone calls coming up which you saw that you liked you didn't like? Eight seven seven three DP. Show operator Tyler sitting by to take your phone calls. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards to the program. Good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, that's our streaming partner. Download the app if you haven't done so, we'll have a new poll question for the final hour of the program. The Rams went over the bills last night. The second time in NFL history you've had five touchdown passes, five rushing touchdowns in zero turnovers. Also the only game in the Super Bowl era in which teams combine for over nine hundred yards, twelve touchdowns, fifty first downs and neither team recorded a sack. Stat of the day, sat of the Day, That past stat of the day. Stat of the day, here comes that what stat of the day And Josh Allen first player in NFL history three rushing touchdowns three passing touchdowns in a single game. Here's Josh Allen after the loss.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, they're they're the top dog in football right now. They're playing extremely well. So we got to have a good week and learn.
Speaker 2: From this one.
Speaker 3: Put it behind us. But that was a good team that we just played with a really good quarterback and they played with urgency. You know at that point in the season, they're playing like they got to be in the playoffs right now, and you saw that and you felt that from them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the Bills had the Lions coming up. That's who he's talking about, is the top dog. You lose to the Rams, and it doesn't feel like there's panic time in Buffalo because they're going to win their division. They'll host a playoff game. But if you're a Buffalo Bills fan, you want to think the bigger picture here, and the bigger picture is getting by Kansas City and playing in a super Bowl, and maybe we would have the best possible super Bowl matchup, the Lions versus the Buffalo Bills. Somebody's going to win a super Bowl, all right. Poll question seating for the final hour of the program.
Speaker 4: Is see right now, Dan, We've got up there. Minnesota Vikings are well sixty two percent, say lucky Dabo Sweeney after won Soto is the luckiest person this weekend or they won the weekend College Football Committee got it right. Seventy eight percent of the vote. That's pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a lot of people. Yeah, by the way, Sunday night, it'll be the Packers in Seahawks in primetime Sunday sevent Eastern on NBC and Peaki My Seahawks. They're somehow holding serve in there. I don't know how good they are. Actually, I thought they'd be better than this, but I thought the Rams would be a playoff team as well. That's one of those if they get in uh oh, like you don't want the Rams, they're gonna put up points. And with Stafford, you know, they got a running back, they got two good receivers. You know the question as we've talked about, you know, that's not a home field advantage, but they won't be hosting a playoff game. Yes, yeah.
Speaker 4: The crazy thing about the Seahawks is that they don't seem to do anything fancy. They're kind of just like like you don't see people crossing or any of these screens or like anything like this elaborate offense. It's kind of like Gino drop back and throw it, Gino hand it off. That's really it there, really isn't anything crazy. It's like just straight up football or something. They don't lead the league in aesthetics. Let's put it that way, like it's more of just the end result is really all we care about, not how we got to the end result. But it always feels like it's twenty three to nineteen. It's just, you know, not visually a pleasing game, and you keep waiting for somebody to be a star there, and nobody's really a star there. I mean, great organization, but you just kind of watch and you go okay. And then my Cardinals, my Cardinals with Kyler Murray, what happened? I know, ballgame, the early college football betting lines, I don't think they're expecting a close game here, Indiana getting seven and a half against Notre Dame, SMU getting nine against Penn State, Clemson getting eleven against Texas, and Tennessee getting seven and a half against Ohio State.
Speaker 2: I think, what will happen next year? Let's say SMU wins. Let's say SMU wins their game against Penn State, Well, that would mean or if Clemson won I'll make it simpler. If Clemson would win, that would that should mean that you would have Oregon play Clemson like it should be the highest ranking against the lowest ranking. That's the way it should be, because I don't I don't think Oregon got it any favors by beating Penn State in the Big Ten title game, and that's a shame. But I just think receding once you get to that next round is probably what they're going to end up doing. Ryan and Florida joins us Hi. Ryan, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 5: Good morning, Dan and Danette. I want to do the best and worst of the weekend. Best of the weekend was Army beating Tulane for the championship, and then sadly worst of the weekend, I lost my dad. But the main reason I'm calling is to thank to you and your Poff for what you guys do. He listened to you guys for the last twenty years being the truck driver, and I just want to say thank you and what you guys do to make an impact to others listening.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you. Ryan. I'm sorry to hear about that, and I can hear it in your voice, so hopefully we can put a smile on your face today or sometime soon.
Speaker 5: Always, And you know, I just can't thank you guys enough.
Speaker 2: Thank you Ryan Richard and Tucson. Hey Richard, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 6: Hey Dan?
Speaker 7: Dan?
Speaker 6: Do you believe in karma?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, well me too. And I think my best of the weekend was the karma of Aaron Rodgers. Now I need to preface this by saying, I'm an avid cheest head. When I was a kid, a teenager, I sold beer at the Ice Bowl in his Stowmobile suit. Follow the team. Yeah, fun, fun experience. And now he goes to the Jets with the expectation of at least getting into the Super Bowl, maybe winning it. And you know, we've always I've always been able to compartmentalize the behavior of our sports icons off the field as.
Speaker 8: Long as they're winning.
Speaker 6: We kind of do that.
Speaker 9: We put up with it.
Speaker 6: Well, now Aaron Rodgers yesterday has it this thing of putting the Jets into the unique position of owning fourteen consecutive seasons without going to the playoffs. And this is the record in all of sports in America.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I can only pin this season on him. The Jets have had a great ability of not having ability, so they are eliminated from playoff contention fourteen consecutive seasons. That breaks a time with the Sabers for the longest active playoffs ut across all four major sports leagues. I just don't know what the Jets are going to do. I don't know what because Rogers may say, hey, I want to play again, and if I'm a coach, I don't want to go into them. I don't want to have a one and done. I don't want to lame duck quarterback. I got to figure out if we keep losing, are we going to have the ability to get a quarterback?
Speaker 10: Here?
Speaker 2: Can we get cam Ward? It feels like Shdor Sanders is is trying to recruit the Raiders to take him, and the Raiders right now would have the number one pick in the draft. If they have the number one pick in the draft, I'm curious if Antonio Pierce will keep his job because they did not look that competitive yesterday. Now, granted they don't have a quarterback. Now they really don't have a quarterback. So Aidan O'Connell got injured, and you know they took him out with an air cast on his leg, so he not playing again the rest of this season. But you're going to have the number one pick in the draft. Would you take Shador Sanders? Would you take Travis Hunter? Because both of those guys will have an impact. But you got to have your quarterback. You know, look at these teams. If you don't have your quarterback, you're not competitive. You just have to have that guy, you know, when all else fails, that guy can get you through. You can count on him. The Raiders don't have that. And I do like what Bryce Young has done. I'm not going to give Carolina credit because they benched him. He needed to be benched, but he's made them at least competitive. And they could have won that game against the Eagles, and they could have beaten the Chiefs. And he played with some poison that now drove me crazy. He couldn't get a couple of plays off. I don't understand this. When you see the quarterback, you know, clapping like he wants the ball. What is the center waiting for? And then they have a penalty where they go from third and four to third and nine, And I don't know, if you don't hear it, it's a home game. I was just like, get the play all the number of times when the quarterback gets the ball and it feels like it's gone from one to zero and it's almost like half of one before he gets to zero, and then you snap the ball. Just snap the ball. What are we waiting for? You're going to change your play with one second to go? But I saw that yesterday and like, just snap the ball to him. Poor guy. It still looks like he's a kid out there. So it's like bring your son to work day. It's like, look at him out there. He's doing okay against the big boys. You got the Cowboys hosting the Bengal, Like this is one of those. If I was still gambling, I'd take the Cowboys in the five and a half and and I'm glad I don't gamble anymore. I survived, I escaped, and I've been tempted before, but you know, I never crack. It's like I don't, I don't want it. I don't, I don't. I didn't enjoy the wins as much as I hated the losses. The losses ate me up and I never I never bet on a game that I was watching. I couldn't watch the game if I bet.
Speaker 10: On the game?
Speaker 2: What is that the worst?
Speaker 7: Though?
Speaker 2: A lot of people will gamble because they need to have money on a game, and I would never watch the game. I drive around, I go shoot hoops. Like I did not want to bet on a game just because it's like, hey, it's Jacksonville against Tennessee, let me throw a dime on it or something. It was like, no, I wanted no part of it. And I have a lot of friends who do that. Though. They'll be like, oh, you know, I don't know, should I bet on the Monday night game? And then they'll say I'm gonna take like I'm the Bengals. Bengals, there's so much better than the Cowboys, And I'm thinking, are they I don't know? You got Joe Burrow? I get you know, I got that. But it feels like Dallas is closer to being a playoff team than the Bengals are for some reason. Yes, huh?
Speaker 10: And how much do you weigh in on things like they're one in five at home Dallas, they're due for that second win or they're likely going to lose their sixth game of the year in front of their home crown.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't. I don't know if that has anything to do with that. You know, it's not like they're going to be playing in the you know, the sunshine. Uh, you don't have to worry about the curtains there. But they just haven't been a good team, that's all. And the Bengals were supposed to be a really good team. I mean, it wasn't long ago that people still held out hope. Man, they're going to go on a run and it's easier to get into the playoffs in the AFC. But I'm watching this. The Bengals are a bigger disappointment. You still have your quarterback, you still have your star wide receiver, your defense has been terrible, and you're in the you know, you can say that that's as competitive as most divisions are. More so with the Ravens and the Steelers. You know, the Browns aren't. But the Bengals should be better. And Joe Burrow has been spectacular this year. Let's see Anthony in Vegas. Hi, Anthony, thanks for holding What do you have?
Speaker 9: Patrick?
Speaker 2: How you doing, sir, Hi Anthony?
Speaker 9: I am a teaching the youth of America. Get get at Lois and Jerry Tartanian middle school, and the weekend just got worse and worse. You and l we the youth are here at this time. I don't know what happened. I listened to it last time, and you couldn't hear them say hello? So do you I'm going to pass the phone around or I'm sensing some doubt in your voice?
Speaker 2: No, no, I just I didn't hear them. You didn't have a good payoff. You know, as a teacher, if you're telling a story or you're reading a story, there's always a big payoff there. Or you're going to do a word problem, there's a payoff. So Anthony, I'm going to blame the teacher, not the students.
Speaker 9: I respect that.
Speaker 8: I respect that.
Speaker 2: But if you want to put the phone out so I can hear said students.
Speaker 7: It's out.
Speaker 9: You got it?
Speaker 7: Stray high?
Speaker 6: I did you hear that?
Speaker 2: Wait? Are you teaching one? Are you a tutor?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 9: I got a whole class here?
Speaker 1: Am I not loud?
Speaker 2: I'm only hearing one person, Charlie say hi. No, that's one person. I want to hear the everybody. I want to hear everybody.
Speaker 9: I just go, you guys gotta scream on three one, two, three. Did you get that?
Speaker 2: Thank you, Anthony, good luck teaching the future of America.
Speaker 11: Yes, we have a theory over here that it's the phone not the students. Sometimes these phones are more they pick up sound that's near them, not the ambient sound behind people. Like they're better so they don't pick up that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're made to like drown out background noise, so you could just hear the voice now, so you don't get the ah.
Speaker 2: But he was going to pass the phone around for everybody individual to go, hey, hey, hey, hey, yes, tod well ridiculous, thank you. Yes.
Speaker 10: Do you think he's like a Michelle Pfeiffer in Dangerous Minds type of teacher, like wearing like a leather jacket and you know what, kids.
Speaker 2: That's it. That's a strange request here, our poll.
Speaker 10: I don't even remember the best teacher in the history of cinema, It's correct.
Speaker 2: Wasn't Cameron Diaz a teacher?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 10: Never mind, that's that's the greatest teacher. That's a debate.
Speaker 2: Uh oh Michelle Pfiffer by far. No, Yeah, Cameron Diaz can't hold a candle. Michelle Pfiffer, Yes, yes.
Speaker 11: Michelle Pfiffer. My teacher. I would have showed up early. I would have stayed late. I would have volunteered for detention.
Speaker 2: I would have gotten in trouble just too Yeah, or.
Speaker 11: You'd worked harder, so maybe you could, you know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: No, I would have stayed after school a problem student. I'd bring her apple. I'd have brought her a tree, an apple tree, hang it down. I would have brought an orchard for her shell fifer. That's oh yeah.
Speaker 11: Can you imagine being in the classroom and looking and be like looking at and eclips she couldn't look directly at her, trying to.
Speaker 2: Think, you know what, I don't know. I think I my English teacher, Missus Ross. Like I started to look at her and go, she's really pretty. But normally you're just saying they're a teacher, and you don't. I don't even I didn't think that. And then all of a sudden, I'm in high school and I go, missus Ross is pretty hot, and uh, I mean it wasn't hot for teacher kind of thing, but it was, Oh, she's a very elegant woman. And I said that to my mom. I go, you know, missus Ross is really pretty. He goes and she goes, well, why don't you get better grades then? Because she's distracted? Yeah, he said, get it. No, they don't go together just because she's good looking, I should get better grades. All right, let me take a break. More phone calls coming up. Eight seven seven three DP show. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: Age seven to seven three DP show email Addressdpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show. Let me see if we had any other insurance interesting stants here. The Jets are the first team to lose three straight in which they held their lead in the fourth quarter and they had a lead of at least five points. Last time that happened was twelve years ago with the Detroit lines. See, this is where Aaron Rodgers was going to make a difference. They were going to win close games. That's why you have this quarterback, That's why you have this investment. Here's Aaron Rodgers after the latest loss.
Speaker 12: Yeah, the expectations behind we didn't didn't reach him. How they work close? It felt good? Three weeks in that wee getting off. We had felt real good and since then it's been a lot of difficult games with opportunities to win. We just didn't fire out to win enough games. I didn't play good enough in some crunch times, and that's why we're sitting here with the record we got.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's true, but could be beneficial. Now, at what point would the Jet that's consider benching Aaron Rodgers to ensure that they continue to have a better chance at getting a better draft pick. Now, do you even need to bention? Would be my next question. Yeah, I kind of thought that was the plan.
Speaker 4: Let's just keep.
Speaker 2: Aaron out there. Hey, if you need to sit me down so you guys got a better chance at a higher draft pick. No, no, no, We're going to keep you in there, Aaron. We're going to keep you.
Speaker 11: Yes, Paul, there are six teams currently tied at three and ten. Are all three and ten that are in play for the third pick of the draft Jets right now due to strength of schedule, there's a long way to go. Have the seventh pick of the draft one a couple more losses than they could be in the third spot.
Speaker 2: What's the new poll question or do we have poll questions that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we have a few right now. Let's see, Well, Paulie said, there's a new poll question. We got two would you be in favor of removing the three point line?
Speaker 2: Yes or no?
Speaker 10: Yeay or nay?
Speaker 4: And then also the college team that is most unlikely to win the national title most unlikely? We got room for four spots.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you put Indiana on there. Yes, Clemson is the last team in.
Speaker 7: S m U.
Speaker 4: Where you put Boise State? Well, I know we're jumping up to a three seed.
Speaker 2: I know, I know, I know, I know. They did go toe to toe with Oregon at Oregon lost by three.
Speaker 4: It jumped over Penn State there, jumped over Arizona State there.
Speaker 11: Example, based off recency, I may throw Ohio State in there.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 11: They didn't play very well last week.
Speaker 4: Most unlikely?
Speaker 2: Mmm, I guess I'd put boise in there. Maybe, yes, Marvin.
Speaker 10: Isn't Penn State your number one seed? Easily?
Speaker 2: I thought they played pretty well, you know in that game against Oregon.
Speaker 10: Oh they did, Yeah, but then they'd have to win let me count one to three four playoff games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 10: You trust James Franklin to do that.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I trust too many teams to win four games.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, that's a good point though. The teams that you got to win four cheapers, creepers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can pull off a surprise. But you know, it's just like March Madness. If you got to win six games, you're gonna have a close game, You're gonna have a controversial game. Probably your coach is gonna win you Again, like it just feels like it's formulaic there with this. This is new. You're gonna be playing at somebody's place, and then you play on a neutral site, neutral site, and then the national titles. So trying to win four games this time of the year against that competition, there's only a couple of coaches you feel like that can pull this off. Jason in Atlanta, Hi, Jason, what's on your mind today? What's going on?
Speaker 13: DP So glad to be able to talk to you. I got the best and worst of the weekend, without a doubt. My best, why Georgia's Bulldog's getting into the playoffs doing their thing. But my worst, and that's what I really want to talk about, is these Atlanta Falcons who just can't get it right. In the past forty years, only five quarterbacks have had zero touchdowns and eight interceptions of a four games. Fan and our boys, Kirk Cousins and mister swag for himself is on the list. Y'all may not know this, but there's a curse of the Babbino, but there's a curse of the church lady in Atlanta, when they built the stadiums, they tore down two historical churches. They interview the parishioners. He said, this second rate won't win anything. Since then we got twenty eight to three.
Speaker 14: Not what.
Speaker 2: I gotta sit Kirk Cousins down. I gotta put Michael Pennix to you knew the third in there. I just do. Let me see what I got because these are desperate times now and Kirk has played his way to the bench. Let me see if they believe that Michael Pennix can play right now, then put him in. And I know, look, you're one game out of first, but what does it feel like you're three games out of first. You've just been playing terrible and Tampa they grind Baker Mayfield grinds gonna make mistakes, but he has he feels like he gives you a chance. Kirk Cousins has just played poorly, and maybe he needs to sit down and let's just see if Pennix has something. Now, let him go through the experience of getting ready for an opponent. Hopefully you have a home game. What's their schedule, like we have the Falcons schedule, because then I could have him if he has a home game coming up, Yes, PAULI.
Speaker 11: The Falcons are at the Raiders host the Giants, at the Commanders host the Panthers.
Speaker 2: I would have him. Well, do I want him on the road against the Raiders? You can win these games, But I mean, Kirk Cousins has just played so poorly. It's almost like I need to find out if Penix can play, and maybe I need to take Kirk and put him on the sidelines, because man, that is not good. And that all you have to do is have a winning record and you're going to win that division. Feels like that's it. You get to host a playoff game too, Yes, Todd, do.
Speaker 10: Fans think that's throwing in the towel if they were to give up on Cousins with these with that kind of schedule.
Speaker 2: Well, he hasn't played well. I don't think it's I would make the move because you you're trying to win this now. I we're just going to leave him out there. If they truly can say he gives us the best chance to win, then that says a lot about Michael Pennix Junior right now, because I'd love to see him in there, just you know, just a whole different look feel. How do the players react to this? Is he ready for the moment? And maybe he's not, but if he is, he might be salvaging the season because right now Kirk is throwing it away and they have too much talent to not be in the playoffs, Yes, poem.
Speaker 11: Earlier this year, Kirk Cousins signed a four year, one hundred and eighty million dollar contract with the Falcons fifty million dollars signing bonus one hundred million guaranteed.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah yeah. Kind of stuck with him for a little while. But if Michael Pennix is the guy moving forward, I mean, they never should have brought Kirk in at that money. You just never should have coming off and Achilles at that what is he? Thirty five? Thirty six? What are you doing? Thirty six? Years of age. Yeah, see, and.
Speaker 4: How many years in a row is it going to be that? At the draft they put up that graphic of like falcons weapons, and you're like, man, this team is stacked. This team is stacked. How are they not better? He's been great, but he's been terrible.
Speaker 2: You you can't have a playoff team with a quarterback where you go, man, is he great?
Speaker 13: Man?
Speaker 2: Is he terrible? Good? And terrible? Yeah? Like, how many playoff caliber teams do you go? That's how I would describe my quarterback. I get Jameis Winston and the Browns were on the verge of a playoff berth. I could say he is unbelievable good and unbelievable bad.
Speaker 4: It's almost like Kirk Cousins could be a case study and how likability will get you far. I'm not saying that he hasn't had moments where he's been really really good, but like you said, he's had moments that have been really terrible. And he's the kind of guy that you're like, man, I hate to say advancing about him, Yeah, but yeah, thirty seven interceptions through week four not his best work, not his best word. I'm not gonna say stinks, but it's not his best work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know it's tough, and that's why you know, I like people people come on. That doesn't mean I'm I'm gonna be biased that I don't look at both sides of this. And as much as I like Kirk Cousins and we've known him since he was in college, he's played horribly. But I don't know if the coaching staff says, but he still gives us the best chance because you're there in practice and you're watching these players in practice. You're watching Michael Pennix and he'll be going up against the number one defense. You know they're their defense. How does he do? How is he on the scout team? That I'd be curious? But and the hard part when you bench somebody like that, but see Kirk's personality is I think you could bench him and still bring him back. I don't think it's going to be one of those where you can't bench Cam Newton. You can't have that personality on the sideline. And you're right, you can't Tim Tebow, you can't bench t BO have him on this. I agree Kirk Cousins. I could say to Kirk, hey, I got to sit you down. Got to figure this out. We got four games to go.
Speaker 10: Yes, Marv, is it easy to bench him when they're eliminated.
Speaker 2: I don't know when they're going to be eliminated, because it's going to come down to the last weekend probably in that division.
Speaker 10: Then I think he'd have a major problem with be in bench right now since they're in the middle of a playoff race. I know he's not playing well, but I'm sure as a start quarterback you think to yourself, look, I can pull myself together and strengthen, you know, straight along a couple of games.
Speaker 2: No, because I have to be the one thinking, not you. There's no quarterbacks going to go you know what, I think it's time to take me out. Every quarterback goes I, Hey this new game. Man. Hey I'm feeling a lot better. Hey, I'm seeing the game a little bit. No, I have to help you understand that maybe you need to sit down. We need to find out if Michael Pennix can do anything give us a boost here, and maybe he can't. That would be that would be a tough conversation for a coach to have with his quarterback. But with Kirk, I feel like you could say to him exactly what I just said. Yeah, Mark, but if.
Speaker 10: You're Raheem the coach of the Falcons, are you really willing to put your season in the hands of the quarterback that's a rookie.
Speaker 2: Well, we've seen this with other teams in the NFL.
Speaker 10: In the middle of a playoff. Race well, race.
Speaker 2: Ish, yes, racey. I don't think we need to say race is right, races so so so race to what Michelle Pffer movies.
Speaker 14: I'm jumping three? Yeah, three point shot, get rid of the three. I would just love to have one week or the NBA Cup. No three point shot? NBA Cup?
Speaker 2: Who's with me? Anybody? Paulie Todd? No, okay, you guys are three point apologists there.
Speaker 10: I hate how many they take, but no, I gotta keep the three point line.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I mean sometimes it is hard to watch when it's like, you know, you can go back and forth for ninety seconds with seven missed shots and they're all from three, and you're like, all right, this isn't fun to watch.
Speaker 2: I think there's certain parts of the court that if you were looking to see wear and tearror, there's certain parts that are never used on an NBA court. It feels like like twelve feet away from the basket on the left or right handed side. They're not using that, yes.
Speaker 10: Marm Yeah, So like DeMar Deroz is the only person that shoots right here. Everyone else you see people giving up layups and running to the three point line. That's the part that gets me. It's not what it's like Steph or Buddy Healed or one of these great shooters.
Speaker 9: It's shooter.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's Aaron Gordon running to the three point line. I'm like, no, no, no, that's not you. That's not your game.
Speaker 2: Not everybody is meant to shoot three pointers. And yes, is it excitement that it can bring you back from a large deficit. It is. How did you get so far behind to begin with? Probably because you took threes and missed threes. It's exciting.
Speaker 10: It was.
Speaker 2: It's meant to be sort of a you'd only take a couple of them a game when it first started. Some of the greatest shooters in history, they were only taking a couple.
Speaker 10: Yes, Marv Paula just mentioned Larry Bird. I was just going to say his name. Larry Bird would have averaged thirty six thirty seven points a game, had he a shot seven three pointers a game. Reggie Miller also those guys were shooting four or five three pointers a game at best at best, and Larry Bird was shooting to a game.
Speaker 2: Maybe I would just love to I would love for people to see the game how it was, where everybody there's movement and there's creativity. It's just not look at a shot shart. It's just we're gonna stand out here. You either have that or you have layups or dunks. There's nothing in between. There's really not a lot of movement. And I think that everybody feels like they're supposed to be shooting threes. That's the problem I have. I under stand that it can provide the home run ball. I go back to the ABA when I watched it, when they first had the three point shot, the red, white and blue basketball. I'm like, Wow, that'll be great at the end of the game.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Seen.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think Yukon is probably the best example of movement and like the modern game right and how it can work. Yeah, but I don't miss the big man back to the basket, throw it down, low, pump, fake two points down the other way.
Speaker 2: I don't miss that well, that wasn't That wasn't everything with basketball.
Speaker 4: I mean, it wasn't everything.
Speaker 2: But you're right. I mean the big man is now on the perimeter. But I would I would love to see just movement, just back door cuts, you know. And granted you might say, really you want to see a back door cut. The beauty of basketball was there was sort of this sympathy to it to get way, way too deep, but there was movement if it was like every body had a purpose, they knew what the purpose was, and it felt like there was actual teamwork. How about that team work?
Speaker 4: Yes, like Steph Curry is he kind of drives me nuts, but he's one of the most exciting players we've had in recent memory. I don't want to remove that from the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's only Steph Curry.
Speaker 4: Dame Dame's Dame hits a lot of threes. There's dudes that could shoot. I don't want to remove that.
Speaker 2: Maybe if you do it where it's blinking, like the blinking three point line hotspots.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, sorry, light wasn't blinking. No, no, But but.
Speaker 2: Let's say you had a blinking three point line and then if it if it went off, then it's a it's a two. But if you got it and then you push and then you're like, oh great, yes, mar.
Speaker 10: And the thing. And also they're paying guys who are three and D guys, not three you know, not defense range guys. So if you're going, hey, you can pay me one hundred million dollars just to shoot four to three is a game and play relatively good defense.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna do that, Yes, Paul.
Speaker 11: I threw an idea maybe last year, what if NBA teams were allowed twenty three point attempts per game? Use them when you like your captaint twenty It's very hokey, but it fixes the problem.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what, Todd, Let's reach out for the commissioner. He usually comes on once a year, and then I help him with new rule changes so that he knows that he's ready for kind of a checkup, like a DP show checkup.
Speaker 10: Invitation has been made.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you, And I'll take time out for you know, with my busy day to help the commissioner and he can take all the credit. All right, let me take a break. Last call for phone calls. What we learned, what's store tomorrow?
Speaker 1: Right after this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the Iheartrate you WAP.
Speaker 2: Last call for phone calls. What we learn, What's in store tomorrow? Football? Coming up time? Oh we got a right? Tomorrow's headline today? Bengals Cowboys, Aint Todd. I'm gonna start with you, right Tomorrow's headline today.
Speaker 10: I'm going with how about them Bengals? Burrow Burns Boys? How about them Bengals?
Speaker 2: Okay, little alliteration, Paul, He's not big on that. Uh Seaton Tomorrow's headline today.
Speaker 4: I don't have the headline, but win or lose. Regardless of who wins or loses, the headline tomorrow is going to be about something. Jerry Jones said, hmm guaranteed.
Speaker 2: Okay, Marvin. Tomorrow's headline today, big.
Speaker 10: Time Rush Cowboys upset the Bengals.
Speaker 11: Okay, okay, Paul, Sir lanceonot Trey Lance can't get it done after Cooper Rush goes down.
Speaker 10: I like it.
Speaker 11: That might be a sample of Fritzy's fans versus Fritzy Lance Armstrong from nine years ago.
Speaker 2: Okay, Sir Lance and knot Okay, lent knot. Yeah yeah, okay, okay, all right, well yeah, all right we did that.
Speaker 4: See we did it, all done, all done.
Speaker 2: Yep, we did it. Yeah, we did it, Sir lancennot Butch in North Carolina, Hi, Butch, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 7: Thank you very much for taking my call. Best of the day was the Pittsburgh Steelers. And the worst was as much as I admire Gary Danielson and Brad Nessler, the coverage they did of the.
Speaker 2: Oregon and uh Penn State.
Speaker 7: Penn State was horrible. I mean, they were so biased towards Penn State. And that's probably because Oregon is new to the Big Ten. But anyway, just got on my nerves bad.
Speaker 10: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure if there was any preferential treatment there, consciously or subconsciously. John in Pennsylvania, Good morning, John.
Speaker 7: Hey guys, what's up? Quick?
Speaker 8: Six and I'll be real quick then I'll get to my point. Best Rudolph Randire on Friday Night. I'll love it every year. And the worst was the Subaru took the Radiator gwent compleuely on me. Listen, you were talking about hot teachers, and imagine this, My best friend in high school.
Speaker 2: His dad was divorced.
Speaker 8: A very handsome, successful man ended up dating we'll call her miss p the Smogan. Imagine like a Marissa Tome type. Yeah, his dad ended up dating her, and every Saturday was a party at his house. The kid became so popular. My buddy was so popular, with questions like does she wear pajamas? Does she take showers?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: All right, John, thank you, thank you. I think I found somebody who could fill in for you, Todd John in Pennsylvania.
Speaker 10: I saw some similarities there.
Speaker 2: The subject matter this day in sports history, Pauline I got a couple of nineteen seventy eight, the first game of the Women's Pro Basketball League the WBL played between the Chicago Hustle and the Milwaukee Doze the WBL nineteen seventy eight.
Speaker 11: Nineteen eighty four, Eric Dickerson of the Rams became only the second running back in history to run for more than two thousand yards in a season. O. J. Simpson was the first.
Speaker 2: Okay by the Way. On this day. In twenty twenty three, shohe O Tani signed a ten year, seven hundred million dollar contract. Oh Baker Mayfield on this day won the Heisman Trophy remember when Notre Dame. It was on this day in two thousand and one Notre Dame replaced I hired Georgia o' leary to replace Bob Davey as the head coach. O'Leary lasted five days before they found out that he had multiple inaccuracies on his resume and led to his resignation. Wow, was that a big deal. At the time he lied on his resume, That's when it felt like every coach or assistant coach in America. I went to his resume just to make sure that were you really the offensive coordinator? I was the tight ends coach. You better change that. But they got him, poor Georgia O'Leary. Then he went to Central Florida. Is that right after that? Yeah, Georgia O'Leary was going to be you were going to be the coach of Notre Dad. What did he lie about and how would that? I guess they're saying, well, if you lied on your resume, whatever that would mean?
Speaker 11: Yeah, Pauling, I think he lied something about playing fullback for New Hampshire or something weird or there. He was a graduate assistant somewhere. But your name's O'Leary and you're gonna be the Notre Dame head coach. It's destiny and he blew it.
Speaker 2: But he was still accomplished enough to get the job. And if he fudged on, okay, anybody fudged on their resume in here, raise your hand.
Speaker 4: Seton the closest I get to fudging my resume is that I put for college. I put like West Virginia University in nineteen ninety six. Now most people assume that's the year I graduated. That happens to be the one year I attended college. Now, that's not fudging my resume. Is it being cute?
Speaker 10: Maybe?
Speaker 2: Maybe deceptive? That's what we learned. Brought to you by the hottest Rookies' biggest superstars, the all time greats. The only place to collect them all. Panini Trading Cards the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. For instant classics, autograph cards, memorabilia cards, rare inserts and more. Start a continue collection now Panini America dot net. Thanks for the phone calls, emails, tweets, the all around support. Our pleasure to serve you. Have a great Monday, everybody. We look forward to talking to you tomorrow,