Speaker 1: And that's what you really missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Welcome to you, and that's what you really miss podcast. It is a big day.
Speaker 2: We're a good day, Jenna.
Speaker 1: We're here. We've made it. We've made it to Kevin's favorite episode of all time, Season five, Episode seven, Puppymaster.
Speaker 2: Historic, Iconic Important. You know there was before this episode and then after this episode.
Speaker 1: Okay, well this was aired on November twenty eight, twenty thirteen, and let's just get through the news because we have to talk about this.
Speaker 2: Royals my Lord was still number one.
Speaker 1: Wow wow, wow wow.
Speaker 2: But we have a new number one movie.
Speaker 1: Oh the Hunger Games Catching Fire.
Speaker 2: Which I think is the best Hunger Games movie.
Speaker 1: Agreed, it's seen it. I watched this movie all the time. It's a comfort for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Same, It's a really really good movie.
Speaker 1: You watch it all the time. I love this movie. Uh, including news this week, it was Thanksgiving, so it was quiet on the Glee front. There wasn't a lot. People were home celebrating with their families as you do on Thanksgiving. More importantly, this episode was directed by our friend Paul mccrane. It was written by Matt Hodgson, Our dear Friend on Paper, and there's a lot of very there's an eclectic grouping of songs in this episode, as this episode is eclectic itself.
Speaker 2: Sure is. So we have Into the Groove performed by Pamela Lansbury.
Speaker 1: You're My Best Friend by Queen performed by Blaine in New direct.
Speaker 2: We've done a lot of Queen songs.
Speaker 1: Well, of course we have the Queen is the.
Speaker 2: Best, Nasty Rhythm Nation mashup, I Don't Wait to Talk About It by Jake Marley and Brie Cheek to Cheek.
Speaker 1: By Fred Astaire were performed by Sue and Will.
Speaker 2: And The Fox performed by New Directions and Pamela Lansberry. Okay, I remember this that this episode aired on Thanksgiving oh in the US, because I remember it was one of those times I would go back to Texas every Thanksgiving and like, oh cool, I never get to see the show with my family, and it's like this is the episode we can all watch.
Speaker 1: Together, Like oh no, I don't think we watched this episode with my family because I said, don't watch it. Don't you Forget about Me by Simple Minds was supposed to be sung by Blaine Jake as a puppet and Becky as a puppet, but was ultimately cut for unknown reasons, but it was being used in Trio three episodes later instead, where Tina gets to be involved, which is very exciting because I love the.
Speaker 2: Song We Can't Stop by Miley Cyrus was originally reported to be sung instead of the Fox, but ended up being changed.
Speaker 1: Kevin, I did not know makes you feel?
Speaker 2: Is that real? Salt meat wound?
Speaker 1: One of the worst. That is Actually that hurts so bad. Oh, that's so funny. I didn't really that would have been great. This is the first episode of season five in which Sam doesn't sing.
Speaker 2: The scene where Blaine, Jake, and Becky aren't attention and Blaine suggests getting to know each other as a reference to the Breakfast Club, which is also referenced by no Wonder, I mean by them and the actual scene.
Speaker 1: Right and no Wonder we were supposed they were supposed to do. Don't you forget about me? There? Yeah, that makes sense. This episode features Breeze last appearance in the series. That was so fast, but she's just like so unredeemable that like you can't redeem her. At this point, there's no turning back, it felt like that.
Speaker 2: I wondered if that was the case, because when they say goodbye in this episode, it felt like bye forever.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, take on Me, which was featured in and Sue's eighty Slashback, went on to be covered in the season six episode Homecoming.
Speaker 1: Wow. The Blame puppet featured in the episode was auctioned off for three thousand dollars. Meanwhile, the Kurk puppet won for twenty five hundred.
Speaker 2: Let's not compare prices, you know, don't put the girls in gage close.
Speaker 1: It's close. It doesn't even matter. I hope it went to some good cause.
Speaker 2: So this episode, Blaine believes he has the best plan to win Nationals, but he doesn't take the Glee Club's criticism too well when the students accused him of being too controlling over New York. Kurt also runs into control issues when the band disagrees over the venue of their first official gig that Kirk booked. Meanwhile, Sue reveals the story behind her iconic tracksuit and gets in touch with her feminine side.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: A lot of control issues, and they're both controlling, and they're going to be married. We're going to have to work it out, Folks, gonna have to work it out. Blaine is in the choir room pulling a power grab and its like I know best, nobody else knows anything. We need to do this a cappella thing, no instruments, and everyone's like, get out of here.
Speaker 1: He goes and sulks in mister She's room. Yeah, he's very upset.
Speaker 2: He's sad.
Speaker 1: Now I have a very distinct memory of this scene, chooting this scene, do you no? Okay? The night before was Jacob's twenty first birthday. Oh, and we took him out.
Speaker 2: What did we do?
Speaker 1: We're just a whole house and we didn't like get crazy, but we like had some drinks and we got him a cake that said the Man, the Myth, the Legend, and it was like a little Jacob artist from when he was like teeny tiny. And we had a We had a jolly old time and we showed up to the the next day and yes, I was hungover. Fun in fact, we all were. And Paul had switched the room around in the choir room, like you notice, we're at the drums and we're sitting on the ground and where you're behind the piano, and so it wasn't our usual walk in on Monday morning, go sit in the red seats. Everybody says their lines and paint the picture. And I was like, who is this person? Who does this? Director? Thank you? Yes? And I remember being like, I don't like this. Why is our room all rearranged? It looked great, and I totally get it, and I probably would have done the same thing, but like I definitely was like, what is happening? What is he doing? He's messing with the system.
Speaker 2: I will say I as we're getting into these later episodes, a lot of things that I questioned at the time, learning that I was wrong, Like things like that, like when we would be like why are they moving to It's like, no, that is a professional who's coming into season five of a show when they're trying to just not make it seem stale or flat and switch up a little bit like how can we make still make this exciting and new?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: And I think for us it felt like a personal offense to our house and rearranging our furniture.
Speaker 1: How dare they like walking into your bedroom and somebody switched around like the yeah, the whole yeah.
Speaker 2: But you know what, it's not our bedroom and it's not our home and they were doing the right thing. Yeah, and that happened several times in this episode for me.
Speaker 1: Hmm, okay, yeah, okay. Well, Blaine calls Kurt and he's like, blah blah blah, this's happened. And I'm just trying to help and I'm just trying to do the right thing and be a leader. And Kurt's like, well, you don't want to be a pup a master and and that was awkward, although I love the way that was shot, definitely struck a chord in Blaine. And then Blaine went and he made a puppet of Kurt.
Speaker 2: It feels like Blaine is really working through some things of this episode psychologically, very much so.
Speaker 1: And and and then I guess to add to the puppets of the inspo of the puppets, there's a gas leak in this episode throughout that is going to affect all the storylines in McKinley High. And this gas leak is happening in the back corner of the choir room where we never use, so weird, and Blaine's going to be the one to have the first hallucination, if you will.
Speaker 2: I started to happen. I go, this is how it happens. Yes, I'm doing this again.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: It's like a dentist and vitamin D and like we're all.
Speaker 1: You know what. Look. I have to say it's been a tough couple of weeks for us in this time. The writers were really just grasping at some strange straws during this time and rightfully saying you're right, you're right. I think we have to give everybody a little bit of grace that, like, this was hard and we had to rearrange the entire series. We just needed one of those episodes where we could have an excuse to do some really fun numbers and have them not really make sense at all.
Speaker 2: And I feel like doing a puppet episode is a rite of passage where a lot of shows who are not musicals do a musical episode. Because we were musical, the only thing we could do was a puppet episode.
Speaker 1: And I will say the Puppets were fun to have be made into, you know, like just to see the puppets. I remember that whole episode, like watching the puppets and then hair department having to like put these you know, put wigs on our characters to make us them look like us, and then our wardrobe had to match, and it was just like I was like, I this is really fun to be made into a puppet. I wish we could have kept the puppets.
Speaker 2: I know, no, they're too expensive.
Speaker 1: I meant a fan that had some of the puppets.
Speaker 2: A lot of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, that's right.
Speaker 2: I think because I've talked extensively publicly about my feelings about this episode, yes, I think a lot of that had to do with, most likely some undercurrents of misplaced grieving. Fair enough, and I think, yes, obviously the show was different. We were doing like these big spectacle things, things that we wouldn't normally do, and I took it just like someone coming in and rearranging the furniture. I think I was taking a little too seriously and a little too personally that it felt like the quality of the show at that time to me, like it was suffering.
Speaker 1: Got it.
Speaker 2: But I think all of that was just a punching bag for probably unprocessed emotions.
Speaker 1: Going again, we're giving everybody grace here, so you included Kevin.
Speaker 2: And I watching it, I was like, this episode is not nearly I mean, maybe my bar is also really low coming into this. But this episode is not nearly as like terrible, terribly offensive as I thought it was in my head. Agree, and it's like, no, we were just making this fun show. Yeah, it's not that serious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like the gas leak is a little far fresh, but like.
Speaker 2: Whatever, it's not like we haven't done it before exactly, and we got.
Speaker 1: Some really good numbers, so we Blaine does You're My Best Friend by Queen Love this song. Blaine Darren did great in this number. It's very charming and very cute. After watching it, it's also really funny to have done the puppets and all the voices and like watching him shoot this like it felt crazy is he at the time? But like watching you're like this is adorable.
Speaker 2: Can we talk about how we did the voices with the puppets, like how that worked?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Do you remember doing that?
Speaker 1: Vaguely? I remember being there when he was shooting that scene, right, and we did the video as he was shooting it.
Speaker 2: Right, Yes. I think we were hiding behind like some of those speakers and things like the products, and we were next to the puppeteers and actually doing the voices in real time.
Speaker 1: It wasn't like a pre recorder.
Speaker 2: Which is really that was fun. That was like a fun thing to get to switch up and do that number is really great too, how it was shot and having so.
Speaker 1: Precious like you you're watching Sesame Street like a real music video. It was really cute. I really liked it. I thought he was great. For some reason, I conflated this number with don't stop me Now.
Speaker 2: I get that, yeah, you know, but.
Speaker 1: Again, maybe there's a guest leak in my house. And then Blaine is really kind of flying off the handles here throughout this whole episode, We're going to see more of that. But like he's just he's feeling I think at the root of this, Blaine is feeling underappreciated and underheard, and that's really the truth, and he's feeling hurt.
Speaker 2: It's a similar thing to like what Rachel Barry has done, is when they feel the most insecure, they get the loudest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, exactly, exactly.
Speaker 2: Also, his ability to just make these very high level puppets.
Speaker 1: At the speed and which he did them is.
Speaker 2: And that the expertise is baffling. That is the craziest part of the episode. Honestly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good point because he.
Speaker 2: Was pulling these out and then having like really strange conversations like the one with Tina, the one with Kurt, like these are really weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're really weird. Well, so the one with Tina is funny because it's towards the end of the episode where he's kind of coming back into his own body and Tina kind of just shares with him that like he actually does deserve and he has earned his place to take some sumbrle of leadership, even though he apologizes to all of us for acting so kind of out of character, and we all, you know, decided and New Directions took a vote and decided that Blaine was going to get a solo. It's in sectionals wherever he wants to do the a cappella or whatever. I was laughing at that number because that scene because I remember, I'm just thinking, like a bad behavior gets rewarded, and there it is Blaine acting out and he gets a soul. There it is again. But he does apologize on the way, and he sends the puppets to New York and he makes all of us puppets and we do what what the Fox say, which we'll we'll get there. Yeah, exactly. Can't give it away too early. Okay, Okay, let's go Jake, because.
Speaker 2: I don't know what happened to Jake. Jake's fall from Grace is hard and.
Speaker 1: Fast, and it's all in this episode.
Speaker 2: But like he was mean last episode, he's mean this episode. And he's like apparently slept with every single cheerleader and breathe the cheerios. Yeah, it's so strange. He's a resident choreographer. It's like they're also making him work.
Speaker 1: He's acting out, he's acting a little angry. He's probably feeling like the aftermath of doing something wrong and probably feeling guilt and taking it out in the wrong or expressing himself.
Speaker 2: There's a lot, I mean, there's a lot of that this episode. It's everyone is expressing themselves incorrectly and lessons learned the thing we do get from this.
Speaker 1: Though, Oh gosh, that's okay.
Speaker 2: So he has a run in with Blaine, right, and Blaine and here talking about like the situation in the glee club, and he's like Blaine tells Jake, by the way, I don't know what's going on in there in the choir room, but go sit in the back corner. Jake comes into the choir room and it's all fired up, and it's like, I'm not helping you. You all suck a dancing, especially you Tina. Why why and which I loved, And he has one of the greatest numbers in Glee her history, Like I knew around.
Speaker 1: I remembered it, and of course you like remember it and you're like, oh, that was a big number for him. He's talked about it on the show before, like you know, he does nasty rhythmnation, but like to re visit that and relive it and to watch him do that, I didn't I even I appreciate that number so much, and I don't even think I appreciated as much as it deserves for sure.
Speaker 2: And also Paul mccrane, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: It looks incredible. He looks incredible, he is dancing. Everybody looks incredible. It is so good. It is actually now i'm as I rewatched this. Hands down, one of the best numbers we've ever done on Glake.
Speaker 2: I mean, the level of cleanliness with the dancers has never been seen on Glee before. Honestly, it was.
Speaker 1: The black and white, the blackician.
Speaker 2: The editing, like everybody was like really going in on this number, and I couldn't believe it was in this episode.
Speaker 1: Thank goodness. Yeah, I know exactly, and I was like, thank goodness with this number was in this episode. Really, this episode is just weird in general, but like really lifted this episode up to another level.
Speaker 2: I also didn't realize that I in my head it was just Rhythm Nation because I remember the black and white and like the Rhythm Nation set. I didn't realize it was Nasty and Rhythmation because he started going into Nasty and I'm like, wait, what is this the same? And then it goes into it and we're by the chain link fence and they're singing and it's.
Speaker 1: For some reason I don't remember shooting this.
Speaker 2: I do because that's what I remember. The only real part of this song we saw was that they were shooting that like all afternoon, Well, where were the back lot?
Speaker 1: How was the back lot? That's I thought we were on location. I was like, why don't I remember going there?
Speaker 2: No, So it was when you're on a back lot and you have all like the facades of New York. It was on New York Street, the where Rhythm Nation was shot. The black and white sack was inside of one of those fake buildings.
Speaker 1: God, and then we.
Speaker 2: Shot the chain link fence somewhere close by, like the backside of the blue sky on Paramount, right, So on the Paramount there is a gigantic, huge, fake blue sky and a water tank that is also a parking lot that they can use to you know, stimulate I'm sorry, stimulate the sea.
Speaker 1: And it's like the end of Truman Show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and on the backside of that is the back lot, which is all the fake New York stuff and that's.
Speaker 1: What it was.
Speaker 2: Just it was so beautiful.
Speaker 1: Sheer perfection. I truly like embedded in my mind. It's so impeccable. It's so impeccable from every every department, every talent, like.
Speaker 2: Shocking, oh so good. It was so they would like match cut back to the choir room and he's doing the same thing, and like the cheerios were unbelievable and those were not those were new cheerios.
Speaker 1: I don't know them, yes, no, we don't know them.
Speaker 2: And they were phenomenal.
Speaker 1: It was so good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like Jacob is so stupid, he's so good. Austin was walking by as I was watching it. He walked by once and saw the puppets. He's like, oh, it's this episode. He kept walking and then you walk by again at the beginning of Nasty Rhythm Nation and just stood there like, oh my god. I'm like, yeah, yeah, this is insane. He had never seen it and it was I mean, it's a real music video.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, no, for sure, it's it's the beast music video we've done on this.
Speaker 2: And I'd love to talk to Paul mccrane about that, because you know, more often than not directors coming to the show without having knowledge or experienced shooting musical numbers. This did not look like somebody who did not know how to shoot musical numbers, Like this was done at such a high level that this person understood it should.
Speaker 1: Have been like Paris Barclay. Yes, you know, this person knew how to he understood to dance right well. And then Jake actually ends up apologizing to Marley at the end, and uh, there was the pregnancy scare, which was was a scare, so thankfully Brie is not pregnant, and but he does apologize to Marley and says he misses her every day and he look and from his performance it seemed genuine to me that Jake was actually learning the ror of his ways. But Marley was like, too late, too little, too late, No, thank you, gotta go.
Speaker 2: So that's a song we should have done on Glee.
Speaker 1: Too little, too late.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also at McKinley, we have Sue and I. As much as a tyrant as Sue has been over the years, and as much as it reminds me of Trump being in power, Sue in a position of power, I do enjoy this storyline a bit because it does seem like she is trying, and you know when it gets to like Sue showing her softer side, and you have this thing where she's having the meeting with the superintendent and the superintendent has to go get drinks and mistakes her for a man. She gets really upset and she calls in the reserves. She talks to Becky, she talks to Will, she talks to Unique about how to embrace her femininity, and we get to see some really beautiful work from all of them.
Speaker 1: Totally.
Speaker 2: The scene with Unique is hilarious, and this number with Will is phenomenal.
Speaker 1: So cool again another musical video.
Speaker 2: Gigantic meat cool number.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: This is when people are saying, we don't know how you guys shot this show. I do not know how Paul. And then you have like the set design, the builders, like how are they doing all of this in one episode? It's a big episode for him, gigantic.
Speaker 1: Now we also have to talk about the the joy of seeing Sue back in the day.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, the history.
Speaker 1: With the hair. Everybody else is just it's it's great. I loved the time jump. I loved her hair and then her just coming out into modern day sho syla. Yes, it was too good, very very good. The musical number that they do her and will do cheek to cheek is gorgeous.
Speaker 2: Also black and white, but different, different.
Speaker 1: I love watching I always like watching them do musical numbers together.
Speaker 2: I do too, And like their voices fit the style of music so well.
Speaker 1: Yes, very much. And and Matt in like anything fred Astaire drugs. Yeah, Territory is like that's I think he's just so classical looking when he performs, like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, get him, get him dancing, get him in a tuts you know, totally.
Speaker 1: SU's going to get a makeover for Unique and then she's going to do the instruction with the school board she does get approved to be principle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I did like the I love a moment like this in a show of figgins popping up and be like, gotcha, there's actually a gas leak and she's irresponsible and this has been affecting the whole school sort of you know, summarizing what happened in the episode. And then she's like, no, actually, I knew you wouldn't be able to fix it because you're incompetent. And I fixed it, And you have a little flashback of her and there at nighttime. Also, this is the second time she's been at the school late at night, because the first time she confiscates Blaine's Kurt puppet takes it from him, and then Blaine is in there late at night stealing it back, and she's also there again and says maybe my favorite line in the entire episode. But she gets approved, and her outfit also.
Speaker 1: Is so wild.
Speaker 2: It's really I was like, what is I don't happening here? But she gets, you know, unanimously approved, and then she asks the superintendent out for drinks and he turns her down, and it's heartbreaking.
Speaker 1: I always find it that I feel bad I shouldn't feel bad for Sue because she's so evil sometimes, but she's so undeniably good that you have to feel bad for her because she is human, Like Jane makes her so human that you're like, oh fine, I get it. When a woman of my stature needs to makeup, he shearings up all her best guys. But unfortunately Porcelain this attitude. Myself is in New York, so God must pad with this mistake. I turned to you, Jesus Christ. It's actually insane.
Speaker 2: I do like all the references. One of my favorite running jokes in this episode is how everybody keeps just popping over to New York every week.
Speaker 1: Well, right, so Kurt wants Blaine to come see Pamela Lansbury's debut performance at the club Callbacks, and he's like, I know you were just here, but like come, Yeah, Blaine can't go.
Speaker 2: Because he got caught stealing that puppet and he's in attention. I'll speaking the detention scene.
Speaker 1: I really loved, very very funny. What a weird group of misfits in the Yeah, but it was really it's very funny. Yeah, Yeah, I really really.
Speaker 2: Liked it, and I wish there was like a little bit more of that. Because this episode had such big set pieces in musical numbers, it was nice to sort of in the simplicity of like whatever that was, and it felt really grounded and real. And also Lauren Potter was on one this episode.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, the line she had like back to back episodes, just on one, she's she's it's coming up too, Like there's more like we're not getting rid of her just yet Blaine, So yeah, Blaine also doesn't make it too Kurt's debut, but nobody shows up to their performance.
Speaker 2: Did you have in your life, like whether it's in high school or college, because you went to college for musical theater, like situations like this, like were you faced with like, oh, there was a performance, nobody shows up, Like it's embarrassing, or like oh god, I can't believe we have to perform there because that's not cool, that's noting we're supposed to be doing.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't really work like that. Everything was so insular in college that like students showed up, you had friends who showed up. Students showed up. We weren't really performing in outside venues except for the York Theater, which was like affiliated with it. But like people showed up like it wasn't. It wasn't really like that, And we also weren't like I don't know, maybe I just didn't create a cover band that like right, you know, was trying to do open mic nights. Yeah, that was not definitely you know what I mean, Like I wasn't her So yeah, no, it wasn't. That wasn't really the case in musical theater schools because everything was so insular and everybody just like showing up whether they wanted to like hate on it or love it.
Speaker 2: So was there anybody in your school started a band? Oh I'm sure, like you're already doing so much work, Like you guys were doing a billion shows a year, Like, how are you also doing a band? Right?
Speaker 1: I guess it's the people who were really not getting to utilize their like instruments for like things like like that you wanted to do music in stature or something like that, But now we were so busy, and musical theater was like such a focus that like we couldn't focus on anything else. I couldn't possibly do something more, you know, so serious. Everything was so serious kind of like nyata. But again, yeah, they have more time because time isn't real and that's true.
Speaker 2: I mean, everybody's pissed off because they don't want to perform at the musical theater bar and like that's embarrassing, we can't do it. And I got to say Adam Lambert coming through with just being so reasonable and understanding and giving Kurt the space to figure out his leadership skills or lack thereof.
Speaker 1: Mmmmm. And they do do this great Madonna number. It happened so fast and I was like, whoa right?
Speaker 2: And I remember like, oh, this is the start of shoving Demi in the back, like not giving her something. She's playing an instrument, she's in the back, Like she needs to be out.
Speaker 1: There with everybody doing those rips, giving the song.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like we're not getting enough Demi, like you have Jammy Levado, the best voices of the generation on the show, use her.
Speaker 1: Greed or like don't just get get her out of there? Yes, exactly.
Speaker 2: Do we know how much longer she's on because I feel like that wouldn't have lasted long.
Speaker 1: It doesn't last super long. She's off pretty soon because she's busy. And it's like if you're using her greate, if you're not She's got to go. Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: So they do the performance and luckily there's one The one man there shows somebody who runs the Williamsburg Music Hall, which is like a really cool the exact venue they want to be in. So like it all worked out.
Speaker 1: It works out, you know.
Speaker 2: Sam the producer was making the point of the fact that there is a piece of media that there is a band with Adam Lambert, Demilavado, Crisical for Anaya, Rivera and Leah is truly a dream and I feel like there's so much potential there. I don't know if they do it or explore it enough, but with all of them in a band, it's really and I don't think I think you have Demi back there like in the background, because you're like making it have to be a real band with like the live instruments and all that. I say, just like you didn't need all that. Go the way of like Abba, give no rules.
Speaker 1: Let them sing to a track, you know, open up her mouth, open that trap, you know what I mean, let her blow because like she's hands down one of the best vocalists we've ever.
Speaker 2: You have so many incredible singers and a band together. What Leah, get them singing together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wanted more vocals.
Speaker 2: It's because the vocals we got were incredible.
Speaker 1: Obviously they were great, but like we could do more, put.
Speaker 2: Them all on every song. I don't know, I understand stand, like putting two of.
Speaker 1: Them on a song, agreed, get it, get it out there.
Speaker 2: Also, how do they just have all this money to be doing things? They have new outfits. Kurtson's a voucher.
Speaker 1: This is like Kevin, This is like when one section was couldn't afford the US for RDY, but we have massive Lady Gaga sets and costumes. It doesn't exist. It doesn't exist, only sus keeping track of it. I mean, Will wanted six hundred dollars for national costumes, but like we just did Katie Gaga with a full tar and rope when with the wheelchair attached, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: I like so points out the expensive piece of that is the big like air bag attached to my wheelchair. But it was like, I'm sorry, what about every set piece in that or roar? They're the fake shrubs, the full plants.
Speaker 1: Okay, well let's talk about what's the fox say? Okay, Now, the thing I remember the most about what the fox say is that you had to do those dingingings. No wonder you hated to do that number. That is the most annoying thing. I remember. Also the plants inside.
Speaker 2: Yes, you love a indoor plant.
Speaker 1: I've changed my ways. I've grown up a little bit. But at this time, in this year, up until this year, we've learned. Everybody learned that day on set there are all these plants on indoor plants on the stage to create the atmosphere. I hate plants inside. I hated them. I think there's bugs, there's dirt everywhere. It makes a mess. Like I didn't see the purpose of like the good oysgen and things that they do for you. And I didn't like a plant inside my house at the time. Changed my ways, but everybody was like very floored by this thing that like Jenna doesn't like.
Speaker 2: Plants, like hatred.
Speaker 1: I was so mad and we had to kneel behind them, and I was like dirty, like get out of what about?
Speaker 2: During the what about roar, we had plants.
Speaker 1: Not real plants I see, are real plants that they brought in from like a nursery or something. And it was a weird number. I'm not gonna lie like it was weird and after a much the whole episode, like the gas leak was weird, but the numbers weren't. And so this was a very It was a slight departure, and.
Speaker 2: It was like a reverse of what should have been happening.
Speaker 1: Right, because we had really nation in this episode, right, and then you have what the Fox are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like everyone's internal thoughts are exquisite, high taste, high production value.
Speaker 1: And there's us with puppets and duck noses ding ding ding ding ding ding.
Speaker 2: It's so weird.
Speaker 1: I you hated at this number.
Speaker 2: I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would watching it, and time and time again, I think Ryan is correct or some of the things the numbers and choices I was doubting at the time as a child. I'm watching now and I'm like, I get it. Yeah, I do get it, and like, why it's not so out of left field that we did this number?
Speaker 1: Not at all? It was also very popular.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and our turnaround was really quick, Like if a song became really popular, we could put it in the episode and it would be on the air in three weeks. That's so pretty quick. And so I think I think I was just like going through it.
Speaker 1: I think that again makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I was fully projecting onto one. Also like I didn't like that song. It was like when we had to do Friday but who, Like I don't really, but it was like I don't. It feels so stupid to have to commit your time and energy to doing such like a stupid song. Yeah, I get it, okay, but it's also like that's the job, that's the gig, right, Like this is what we're doing. Not everybody gets to do the songs that we love all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And also like the writers have a purpose for doing this and like just do it. Stop being a little we're not the writers. Yeah, And I was shocked by how like I thought it was funny. I thought it made sense. I do think Leah giving belting during what the Fox Say is so insane. I was like, this song is doesn't deserve this good vocal.
Speaker 1: Right, it's a little crazy, but let's do it. Let's go for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it like we've done Turkey Lurky, like.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean, change changed woman.
Speaker 2: Exactly, Like if you and I are down for that, this isn't that far off. In a number of ways. So like, I don't I've been reformed. I think my mental breakdown and like me looking into the camera several times during this episode, because it felt like we were on a like I honestly felt like we had lost the plot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get it, I get it, and.
Speaker 2: Like what is the show? I don't recognize it anymore? Blah blah blah blah blah. I don't think that's what was happening, right, I think I lost the plot and I couldn't recognize what we were doing anymore. I think that was just a me that's all right, and we were all just losing our minds a bit.
Speaker 1: And so I I think makes sense though why we have such weird, odd memories of this episode. And you could have just been having some emotional turmoil during this episode as well, that you know, producted onto what the the thing was? Like me with moving out? You know I was wrong?
Speaker 2: What is the next episode? Christmas?
Speaker 1: Previously anarchy?
Speaker 2: And so these were the this was the.
Speaker 1: Stretch where we borned.
Speaker 2: I really was like not nice, like the angry Kevin. This remember this is like Kevin two point zero as you guys would call me. Yes, I am I started to like speak up and speak out and was just I think I think it was misguided, you know. I think it was the long days. We were tired. I was really I remember the feeling of how tired I was frustrated. I was so frustrated.
Speaker 1: This was a I'm looking now ahead a little bit into the plot of previously on her Christmas, and I now remember where we were and we weren't well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I just needed a break. I think maybe I just I don't think I had anything to do with the show, to be honest, I think maybe I was just there was a.
Speaker 1: Haze in front of our eyes at this point. I remember shooting like Mary's boy Child and doing like the Nativity scene and being like, where are we? We're in the.
Speaker 2: Twilight zone, isn't it. I just didn't expect this necessarily, Like it's so obvious of why, Like, oh, I didn't lose my mind the whole show until now, Like we had no shit.
Speaker 1: You can't be in a you can't be in like a spiral and like see the logical side of things, yeah, like it's just not the way it goes, so like we can't be grieving and also know what's coming out of what's going to be on the other shode.
Speaker 2: You only have so much capacity, and like our capacity was fully taken showing up to do the job fintion hours and yeah shows all our energy.
Speaker 1: Oh god.
Speaker 2: And so in hindsight it was like, oh, I wish you know. Unfortunately, Yeah, we have been through this several times now, and it's like you get better at recognizing what you need to deal with these things, and it's like, oh, I had no idea.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm glad that we've seen the light and that we were able to understand this on a different level this time around.
Speaker 2: I think that's what happened, right, I think that's.
Speaker 1: Absolutely what happened. Then, is one and ten percent one happened?
Speaker 2: Because this episode is not that crazy?
Speaker 1: No it's not. And there's some really good talent and like performances.
Speaker 2: A lot of great musical it's not that bad. No, sorry, Ryan, you're right.
Speaker 1: Yep, we were wrong. Uh, let's create the performances into the groove A Hey You're my best friend, A nasty red, the Nation A plus plus the high as it can go, cheek to cheek, A he the Fox, B I love this. That's not so bad. Okay, that's that's a very good average. It's an average. Let's do some tarty takes, so Auchi's Honestly, I have to say, like Sue says a lot of offensive things in this episode. So does Becky. But also Sue being mistaken for a dude in this episode, or like being one of the guys is a little bit also announce you for her and Brie.
Speaker 2: Brie in general.
Speaker 1: M No, wonder she's gone.
Speaker 2: I felt that through the screen. Damn, Jenna, I don't disagree. Best dance move, are you kidding me? N yes, like honorable mention to Matt Morrison, of course, but Jacob Jacob and the entire dance team.
Speaker 1: Tears in my eyes. It's so good.
Speaker 2: There's this part of Rhythm Nation. They're on one of the I don't know what do you call it, like one of the levels, and they're in a straight line and then they go against the walls and they break out into a diagonal in quick succession, and it is so clear, it is beautiful. I gasped.
Speaker 1: I was like, I actually have teers in my eyes thinking about that number. I have to watch.
Speaker 2: It was so good.
Speaker 1: One of the best songs we'll ever during the series. The best performances, best song, Nasty Perms by prop.
Speaker 2: Oh, all the puppets, I mean, all those puppeteers are so talented. The people who made the puppets, I know they were so to be talented. It's such a gift and like a thing you don't get to be exposed to that often, like the behind the scenes of and to work with those people. That was really special.
Speaker 1: Yes, it really was. It was very cool. I wish we'd appreciated it more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sorry to anyone if you were there working and we weren't that nice or excited about it.
Speaker 1: You never know with us at that point.
Speaker 2: I I'm sure I was not at my finest. I know I was not, so shoot crap shoot Yeah. Best line, my favorite line of the entire episode when Blaine gets caught stealing the puppet again and Blaine goes, hey, current puppet, and so he goes, this is contraband. And if I catch you with your hand up the butt of anything that isn't human, you're in a world of trouble.
Speaker 1: But like brilliant.
Speaker 2: But if you did catch it, I don't anyway, it's brilliant. Also, that's sorry. That doesn't happen when he gets caught sneaking in right, that happens the first time he gets caught with the yeah.
Speaker 1: Performance MVP, I mean a singular performance shake up for rhythmation to an honorable mention. And I think Darren overall this this episode, he's you know, he's got a lot going on and has a full arc yeah with a puppet Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I think you couldn't have picked a better person to have this stuff with the puppets than Darren. That is the exact person, my person, that's right, because he loved it. He was so happy doing it and like godspeed, he was the absolute right person. He was the perfect person for it. Okay, so before we go shit, we found on TikTok jen Nah, there was a trend going on on TikTok. I don't know if you saw it or you would have, like it was a lot of animals like filming this dog and be like dogs are stupid. I don't think people should have dogs anymore. And the camera would flip around and it would look like an accident and it'd be a cat on the other side of it, looking like it was filming the video.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, like okay, or dogs.
Speaker 2: Being like ugh, cats are so annoying. People should not own cats anymore. It's flip around the camera, flip around to be a dog, like, oh right, I got caught. So this one is by hopeless and forty five on TikTok. It says guys reading books is so outdated, we should just get rid of it. And then the care of camera fhlps around and it's a picture of it, like, oh shit. I was hesitant to put this one in there, but I think it's so funny. And obviously she can read.
Speaker 1: I cannot that I believe that this is shell. This lives on, like even though it's been debunked, and like everybody knows, like she can read, and she's like played into it as well. Like the fact that it still lives on is insane.
Speaker 2: And that's why I what I did for the record. I was hesitant to even.
Speaker 1: I hear you, But I think that's because I don't want to apperpetuate this. No, no, no, I don't think you are. I had a friend text me last night about it. Well, it's funny because I went on, is it making a research evering in? And they had asked about like some you know, tabloids and things, and like I talked about the lea, I can't read the kind of thing, and it was just so funny. It's such a funny thing. Everybody laughs at it now because we know it's not true and it's actually ridiculous.
Speaker 2: But I hope people know it's not true.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I guess it's still living on. I don't know. It's ridiculous. Okay, Well that is the episode.
Speaker 2: I can't believe it. I didn't hate it. We did it.
Speaker 1: We did it, We did it, you got through it.
Speaker 2: I'm shocked, Jenna, I am shocked.
Speaker 1: I am shocked too. I'm actually sucked too. I was pleasantly surprised.
Speaker 2: Now. What I am scared about is previously on there at Christmas.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm going in with eyes wide open. I feel like I'm going in knowing that this is a satire. I feel like I'm going in knowing that we were kind of losing our minds at this point, and I feel like we might. It's not that it's going to be not be wild and wildly inappropriate, because I remember it being wildly inappropriate, but the episode itself maybe not as as a whole as bad, but there were definitely wildly inappropriate moments and I was like, why are we shooting this?
Speaker 2: And speaking of satire, I think part of my spiral whatever was happening at the time, I thought the show was taking itself too seriously, and I have said that for years, like season five and six, we forgot we were satire and we started taking ourselves too seriously. I think that was wrong. I think I was taking it too seriously and I was forgetting that we were a satire and unable to recognize the satirical nature of some of what's going on.
Speaker 1: Fair enough.
Speaker 2: So I think that's on me M, and did not think I'd be having these oprah aha moments. But here we are. M. That's what it feels like, a revelation, Jenna, everything is.
Speaker 1: True for me. That okay, public Master, we did it.
Speaker 2: We did next Yes, everyone buckle up next week previously any Christmas and that's what you really missed. Bye, Thanks for listening, and follow us on Instagram at and that's what you really miss pod. Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time.