Speaker 1: Welcome to the best of the week for What's Right with Nick Right the best takes and moments from this week on the show. Enjoy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so almost wants to get past that Super Bowl loss and get that nasty taste out of his mouth, and he's it's also getting tired of all the talk saying that he wants to just settle all this on the football field. This is another thing that really annoyed you, which I'm curious what the angle is here?
Speaker 3: What pgoff?
Speaker 4: Well, it's not no, no, no.
Speaker 1: His comments didn't annoy me me last week, which was.
Speaker 4: So here's the deal.
Speaker 1: If someone wants to have the courage to come out and be like, you know what, you know, here's a take, free take for someone who wants it. Okay, Like it's just sometimes sometimes I'm disappointed it in uh my industry because there are these.
Speaker 4: I can see these.
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh, that would be a good take. I don't believe it. But no one has made had this take and it's right there, and I know it would cut through the noise and you could establish yourself with it. And no one, no one, no one has said it. Now, I don't believe this. This is not my take. So consider this like the sports take version of developing some type of vaccine or cure for something and be like, we're not patenting it. Anyone can copy it free for the world public use.
Speaker 4: Here's a take.
Speaker 1: The last few years, Patrick Mahomes has pretty clearly not been judged based on his numbers. He's been judged based on the fact that his team wins, that he is a leader, that he plays his best in the biggest spots, and that is how he has held onto the best quarterback alive Moniker, despite the fact that his two biggest conference rivals Josh Allen Lamar Jackson, have both won league in vps in this time. And if that has allowed Mahomes to climb to the top of the quarterback mountain, then the exact same standard should be used to evaluate Jalen Hurts and Jalen Hurts. Who's never missed the playoffs, who's team wins double digit games every year, who's been to two Super Bowl has been awesome in both. Some would argue out played Mahomes in both, certainly in this last one, and has done it with what you know, let's call it, a polarizing coach and a polarizing receiver in a tough city and now is coming off, you know, leading an offense to damn near one hundred points combined in the conference championship game in the Super Bowl and puts his body on the line, doesn't care about his passing numbers for the most unstoppable play in football. That player the defending Super Bowl MVP. He's the best quarterback alive. End of take.
Speaker 4: That take is again I.
Speaker 1: Do not believe it, but it doesn't have a ton of logical holes if someone wanted to have it.
Speaker 4: Instead. These dopes.
Speaker 1: Want to knock Mahomes off his perch of best quarterback in the league.
Speaker 4: And they are doing it for.
Speaker 1: One of three quarterbacks really one of two and mostly one of just one who's never once out played him in a big spot. It's the majority of quarterback rankings lists right now. I have Josh Allen number one, which is hilarious and indefensible, and it is not an allowable take until one time in a spot that matters. It's not a quarterback wins thaing he outplays Patrick and the last two years, one in his building, one in the Chiefs building, he's had the ball in his hands, chance to go do it, and it couldn't get forty yards either time, So that's not allowed. Lamar can win every MVP from here until retirement, and until he wins a single big game, it's obviously not allowed. And Joe Burrow had outplayed Patrick in a big spot, had a chance to really put a stake in the heart of the Chiefs through fourth quarter interception. The conference championship game lost and hasn't been back to the playoffs since. And the amount of people trying to argue any one of those three guys has ascended Patrick because Patrick got beat by Jalen Hurts and they played poorly the Super Bowl. It's the dumbest shit I've ever heard you. Then combine it with this whole ooh to the Chiefs era over based on what that they were just the second best team in football last year, Based on the fact that they just completed the best three year stretch in the history of the league and are tied for the best five and seven year stretches in the history of the league. What is the what is the piece of evidence you have, like, oh, this might be the Broncos or Chargers year.
Speaker 4: There is none, And so.
Speaker 1: Again the Eagles have bragging rights, and Jalen Hurts has bragging rights. And the Eagles have it because they won as a team, and Jalen Hurts has it because individually he played. You know, he was the best quarterback on the field that Sunday. But these AFC also rans that are being elevated because.
Speaker 4: Of what I just I can't. I can't deal with.
Speaker 1: Just one time at one time? Can I just see? It's what I said to that guy in Hawaii. This guy I'm walking, I'm walking with the family down the boardwalk in Honolulu, and this guy walks up to me and he's like, a man, this is Bill's.
Speaker 4: Country out here.
Speaker 1: In my head, I'm like, no, it's fucking not, man, It's actually I'm not sure there's a place in the United States is that is further removed literally geographically but also spiritually from Buffalo, New York as the boardwalk in Honolulu. Like, first of all, it's just a bad take. Second of all, get a light. I didn't say any of that. I'm like, okay, nice to me. Like five minutes later he runs me down and was like, hey, man, I'm so sorry I said that. Can I please get a picture and I'm like sure, So I take the picture and he's like, yeah, man, thanks, sorry about that. I'm like sorry. But then I couldn't resist because I was like, I'm with my wife and kids like so I was like, I was like, hey and listen, man, one day, you'll win a big game. And I saw a look on his face, and it's stung. You know why it's stung the same reason why when people put up that picture of me and Mahomes a couple parades ago, where I'm smiling and my nose is casting a shadow on my teeth. It stings because I know it's true. I'm like, damn, that is weird. That is like a thing that most people like. It shouldn't be physically possible, but it's a thing, or it does cast a shadow like that sucks. But that's why it stung him, because he knows it's true, and so I just don't that.
Speaker 4: I it is.
Speaker 1: It's really beyond dumb to me, the every other Let me add one other thing. And I said this to Cowherd and he just laughed because he knew I was right, not just like this year, but basically for all of modern NFL history.
Speaker 4: If there is a team in a division.
Speaker 1: That everyone agrees the same team has the division's best quarterback and the division's best coach, that team will be the pick to win that division. If there's no debate like it's just like so, I'll give you an example. NFC West, there's a debate is McVeigh or Shanahan the best coach? And I guess for some there might be a debate is perty or Stafford the best quarterback? Not to me, but what like there's it's not often there that it is crystal clear on both, but when it is, uh, that team is everyone's pick to win the division. And the amount of people this year that are gonna pick fucking bon Nicks, sorry for all the curse words today to.
Speaker 4: Win that division.
Speaker 1: Or Justin Herbert who again, I I don't I don't know if he's won a big game since high school, and I have to look at the high school.
Speaker 4: I don't think he did it Oregon.
Speaker 1: I It's just it's just dumb, you know what.
Speaker 2: I just I just people get fickle with the greatness. I don't know if people just don't sometimes.
Speaker 1: But they think we have the next Trent Williams and John Simmons oh boy, oh boy. Now that might be a little strong. True Williams one of the greatest players of all time. But if they just if Josh Simmons just ends up being the tenth best tackle left tackle in the league slightly above average, it is such a I mean, Home has been to five Super Bowls, he had a different starting left tackle in all five. It would be just such a massive, massive.
Speaker 3: Worch o line situation. Yet right.
Speaker 1: Course of this, No, the thing is what's weird is the Chiefs had a really good guard center guard o line this year. The tackle, it was the worst tackle play he's had, and previously they had they had been bat up the middle, but good the like, and so it got really shaky by the end of it. All right, dog days summer, which means it's time for the boys this summer to kick it into gear. And the best way to cash in on your baseball IQ is with DraftKings Sports Book. As the stretch drive begins, DraftKings Sportsbook has you covered with live betting, home run props, odds, boosts, and more. Whether you're chasing dingers or jumping in mid game, there's always action to be had. Never bet on baseball before simple pick a guy to go yard, hammer some live odds mid game, or just ride with your squad and hope for the best. No spreadsheets, just vibes and lines and odds subject to change. Some special for first timers. New DraftKings customers bet five bucks, get two hundred dollars in bonus bets instantly. Download DraftKings sportsbook gap and use code right. That's code right for new customers to get two hundred dollars in bonus best bets instantly when you bet just five bucks only on DraftKings. The crown is yours.
Speaker 5: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler in New York called eight seven seven eight ope and wire text hope and y at four six seven three six nine. In Connecticut, help is available for a problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of boothillk A Cinnamin resorting Kansas twenty one on over agent. Eligibility varies by jurisdiction, Void and Ontario. Bet must win to receive reward. Minimum minus five hundred odds required. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issue ins four additional terms and responsible gaming resources see dk CO slash audio.
Speaker 2: So Maholmes came out and said, I'm going to do whatever it takes to win, whether that's passing for a lot of yards or not passing for a lot of yards. So we've seen Kansas City win in a number of different ways. How do you think that the offense or the Chiefs need to look in order to succeed this year?
Speaker 1: Listen, I do think there's an element of they need to get their swagger back and pump the ball down the field. Now, I think people need to remember how we got kind of to the point that we got to with this offense being the way it is. And I talked about this yesterday on TV, but I think it's worth revisiting. Three years ago, they're playing the number one defense in the NFL. In the Super Bowl, they score thirty eight points without a single play longer than twenty five yards and the longest play of the game is a Mahomes scramble. The very next year they come back, they're in the Super Bowl, having the offense having struggled all year long, receivers just openly revolting against Patrick in the Super Bowl, the biggest drive up to that point of Mahomes' life eleven play, sixty four yard dink dunk, dnk dunk field goal, and then in overtime one of the greatest drives in NFL history thirteen play, seventy five yard drive where the longest play once again is a Mahomes scramble, dank dunk, dank dunk, no big explosives.
Speaker 4: And then last year.
Speaker 1: Offense just eking along and pulling games out of the fire. So why am I saying when they've gone Super Bowl win, Super Bowl win, super Bowl loss, after being seventeen and one going into the Super Bowl with Mahomes' starter, Because I think one of the reasons Patrick started to press early in that Super Bowl demonsay is because being down fourteen for last year's Chiefs felt so different than any of the previous year Chiefs. Down fourteenteen three years ago was okay, we can start playing now. Down ten in every Super Bowl they've ever played in, take the lead back in a heartbeat, And so because it was so death by a thousand cuts, they felt they needed to. I think Patrick felt like, man, we better score right, because we don't have this one playability. So I think they need to get that back, and I think the better offensive line, hopefully healthier receivers. Even though she's now dealing with a groin, Hollywood Brown still out with an ankle. That's not great. That should help that. I also saw there's an unbelievable stack courtesy an unbelievable stack courtesy of Warren Sharp that I would like to go over for a moment. But so, quarterbacks record when trailing entering the fourth quarter over the last five years. Let me give you the top three from three to one. Demonse in third place, best record when trailing entering the fourth last five years. Okay, Jalen hurts eight and fourteen, so that's pretty good. I mean it's third best. That so thirty six percent of the time the Eagles are trailing going into the fourth, they win anyway when Jalen starts. Second place, Lamar Jackson seven and ten forty one percent of the time, So that's almost half the time bro that the Ravens are trailing entering the fourth, they win when Lamar's the quarterback. So third place is thirty six percent Jalen second place is forty one percent. Lamar is again courtesy Warrensharp first place record the last five years when trailing entering the fourth quarter. Patrick Mahomes fourteen and seven seven percent. That means the Chiefs would be an eleven twelve win team if every game they trailed going into the fourth quarter and the other like CJ.
Speaker 4: Demonse is one two, three, four, five six seven He's.
Speaker 1: Eighth on this list, two and ten twenty percent, Josh Allen is above average three and fourteen eighteen percent, Joe Burrow four and twenty three fifteen percent, Brock Pirdy one in ten nine percent. Like, so, I say that for this reason, it's understandable that the Chiefs kind of carry themselves like, Eh, we'll figure it out. But it's harder to do that after you've got your teeth kicked in in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and.
Speaker 1: That is.
Speaker 4: They need to they need to go ahead Demons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think Josh Simmons, the rookie left tackle, and Xavier Worthy's ascension is going to help.
Speaker 4: That quite a bit.
Speaker 1: By the way, late the Madden ratings for this year, Xavier Worthy of higher rating than Marvin Harrison Junior and rome A doonsay to top ten now just barely, but still like that is the highest rated rookie receivers were neighbors than Brian Thomas, then Xavier Worthy. So yeah, I do think they need to bring back, as brew would call it, the light show a bit, and I'm optimistic that they can. All right, let's talk a little more cheap before we get some other stuff.
Speaker 2: Andy Reid's been hyping up. You got Travis Kelsey. He's saying that he's calling him. He's calling him, felt saying he looks twenty, he's all slender. A year ago, you said, Travis Kelsey's got about eight more good games in him, games great games, not good Sorry, got eight great games leftter him?
Speaker 3: Has that number changed since? Like what would he have now at this time?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: So this year?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I felt he. I thought he used a couple last year. Certainly the playoff game against Houston Texans YEA was peak Travis. And I also thought he left a lot out on the field the Christmas Day game against Pittsburgh that if they knew they won, they were going to get the long rest that they all desperately needed. Now, those aren't the only big games he had all year, but some of the other big games.
Speaker 4: Yet I just thought, were you know, the.
Speaker 1: Teams not being able to deal with him, or you know, the health the game play in philadeup? So again, swifties, please, because I got absolutely crushed for this take last year because people misunderstood what I was saying. I think when you are Travis's age at that position, you have to be very diligent about when you go full throttle. And I think he knows that he only has so many full throttle games left.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: Do I think that added.
Speaker 1: Chip on his shoulder for the fact that he didn't play up to his standard he said last year and the way they got their ass kicked in the Super Bowl, and the fact that he shed some weight, had probably a better offseason, maybe replenish some of those games that game count. Yeah, I've got to see him in Week one to give this a real answer. But I'm going to go out on a limon say this. I think Travis this year will once again be one of the three most impactful players in his position. I think Travis and Brock Bowers and then maybe Kittle, maybe Laporta, maybe the kid in Arizona or the other candidates. But I think Travis and brock Bauers are going to be up there, and I think Travis is especially because teams are going to have to respect the deep ball more this year. He's gonna have a lot more room to work with over that intermediate middle where he wants.
Speaker 4: To Hey, guys, talk to you about my.
Speaker 1: Friends at boost Mobile. Ever sign up for a phone plan thinking Wow, great price, and then a few months later it's like surprise, bill's even higher. Boost Mobile. You pay twenty five dollars a month forever. That's unlimited talk, text and data starting at just twenty five dollars a month, No price hikes, no contract forever.
Speaker 4: Plus. Boost Mobile is.
Speaker 1: Now a legit nationwide five G network. They've invested billions building five G towers across the country. Visit boostmobile dot com or head to your local boost store today and get unlimited talk, text and data for twenty five dollars a month forever. Five G speeds not available in all areas. After thirty gigabytes, customers may experience slower speeds. Customers will pay twenty five dollars a month as long as they remain active on the Boost on Limited plan.
Speaker 2: TUA isn't exactly welcoming Tyreek back with open arms.
Speaker 3: After Tyreek did that.
Speaker 2: Little thing at the end of twenty twenty four, Tyreek took some accountability and saying I need to be better as a leader.
Speaker 3: I feel like you probably should have said as a star player.
Speaker 2: But with things already off to a bad start, how do you see Miami season going?
Speaker 1: I want to believe in Miami a little bit. I think that they are, you know, I like the team that used to be overvalued that now I think people have gone too far in the other direction on I tend to like those teams and am I really like the Jalen Ramsey Minka Fitzpatrick trade. I think they got better there. Tyreek, I think will be better this year.
Speaker 4: So there.
Speaker 1: And I think that that last playoff spot in the AFC should be pretty open. So there are some reasons that I kind of was leaning. You know, maybe maybe I'll believe in the Dolphins as a playoff team this year, especially because speaking of the hot seats, I think, you know, Mike McDaniel, the GM, I think they know we gotta start putting some pelts on the wall, you know what I mean. We got to get back on the right track. This is where you might think I'm being unfair. So to his comments yesterday were basically, yeah, they speaking for me and for the team.
Speaker 4: He wasn't speaking for himself.
Speaker 1: He's like, you know, Tyreek, what Tyreek did is not something that you just say my bad about and you know we're all good like you gotta, you know, work on yourself. You got to earn back trust. I'm paraphrasing, but he said all this publicly to the media. So here's where I mean the exact quote is when you say something like that, you don't just come back with my bad. You gotta work that relationship up. He's working on himself. I didn't love that being a public.
Speaker 4: Comment from Tua.
Speaker 1: So here's what I'll say, And demon's that you can tell me no, that's why I thought you were gonna say I'm being unfair. So just hear me out on this. Okay, what Tyreek did was way out of line. There is no excusing it. He was a bad teammate, he was immature, it was you know, it was bad.
Speaker 4: He's also Tyreek Hill.
Speaker 3: He's your receiver.
Speaker 1: He's he's he's a receiver. He's a kind of known at times knucklehead. He he has he he you know, just this week he was like, you know, I talked with my dad and you know, I thought it was really important that this offseason I just do football and family stuff. Meanwhile, you know, I'm pretty sure he's in a legitimate beef with I show speed and like about the racing and like, so Tyreek is just a superstar, which dude, Yeah, like a bit of a dufist, a bit of a dufis and it got a lot of stuff. Okay, it does not excuse what he said, but we're also I don't think you're not getting in the Tyreek Kill business for maturity, professionalism, and leadership. You're getting in the Tyreek Kill business because he's freaking awesome. Right, Tua is your quarterback, and Tua and Tyreek have to work for the team to work. So I wouldn't care at all if at the first day of training camp TWOA got up in front of the team and was like, Tyreek, you betrayed all of us. You have a lot of you know, making up to do that was wrong. You know, red him the Riot Act privately, but publicly, I think the answer has to be either, Yeah, listen, I think Tyreek's addressed that. Any feelings I have on that, I'm going to keep between me and Tyreek and me and the team. But you know, we know that he and I got to get back to what we were two years ago for this team to have a chance, and I believe we're gonna do that. You either do that or and TOA might not be comfortable with this because I know he's like a deeply religious guy. You just flat lie. Oh no, Tyreek, Tyreek, We're all good. We knew it was emotional right after the season. Nobody cared. I think those are your two best rather than telling the media no. Everyone was really bothered by that. And actually it we're still working on it because then it continues like I'm going to need an update on that, you know what I mean. And so again Tyreek put to A in a terrible position.
Speaker 2: And he was throughout that like it seemed like he he seemed pretty nervous, I don't want to say nervous, but constantly walking back stuff and like thinking super hard about the stuff. He was saying, Oh, you're talking about Tyreek at the end of the year. No, I'm talking about two in the pressor I mean I felt like he was sweaty, but.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean he was Miami right off practice field. But yes, I agree, I agree with you on that regard. But I also thought Tyreek when he gave this initial thing right after the playoffass didn't exactly know what he was trying to say, and then was like, ah, I'm out. I just think that there is sometimes when you are the face of an organization and you get put in bad spots by people and publicly, you got to just present a united front. That's the you know, That's all that I'm or you can go Peyton Manning about was it Mike vander jack the kicker? So this you'll love this, de Monsey because you have no recollection of this whatsoever. Mike Vanderjat, who's a pretty good kicker for the Colts and the Aughts, went on some radio show after another Colt's playoff loss and took shots at Peyton the kicker, and then Yeah, the kicker. And then Peyton was asked about it at the Pro Bowl, like during a sideline interview, and Peyton's like, yeah, I mean I really didn't expect that I was going to get asked about art idiot kicker getting all liquored up and popping off at the mouth on the radio. I'll deal with that if he's still a teammate in the future, Like this guy's gone, this guy's gone, I'm not dealing with him. I have no interest in him. And so that that's the other that's the other option. The other option is if Tua would have been like, yeah, I don't think it's gonna be a problem because I don't think Tyryk's gonna be on the team.
Speaker 4: Like that's the nuclear option.
Speaker 1: But so but if he's going to be on the team, then you gotta you gotta sometimes clean up somebody else's mess. That's the only even if it's not fair topic.
Speaker 3: It sounds like the Chiefs and Tyreek Hill kind of miss each other.
Speaker 1: Well, I told you I I told you guys a year ago that I'm very excited for Tyreek Hill wearing a Chiefs uniform in twenty twenty six because that's I think going to happen. It's not gonna happen this year, but that I think is going to happen.
Speaker 4: So you're pretty likely maybe.
Speaker 1: That's enough to get Kelsey to come back for one more year. A little final tyree right off in the sunset together. Yeah, I think that's absolutely on the board.