Speaker 1: See you next Tuesday. In Jersey.
Speaker 2: It's the season eleven premiere, and there is never a dull moment. Dolores and David fight over her plastic surgery. Teresa goes around Evan's birthday party talking about him, and Jackie makes a comment about Gia that has Teresa fired up. Entertainment reporter and host of the podcast It Sure is a Beautiful Day, Kat Sadler joins me to break down the episode. This is real Housewives of New Jersey, Season eleven, episode one, See You next Tuesday. Let's get into it. So are you a Housewives fan? Do you have you watched for years?
Speaker 1: Do you have a specific favorite city?
Speaker 3: Okay, so, Bethany, you know, when I was on E covering this stuff every day, I was responsible for kind of watching everything, right, you have to be a bit of an expert on everything. And so as much as like I have had the pleasure of interviewing you before and Housewives from every franchise, I have never been an avid, like die hard plot line savvy viewer. So it's like I know a little bit about everything, but you know, I had to watch the Kardashians. I had to watch you know, I had to watch the Emmy nominated scripted shows.
Speaker 2: So it's kind of like, I know enough, but I knowly fluent, but I get by.
Speaker 3: I am not fluent at at all, really, but it was so fun watching this episode because I'm like, why am I not watching more? Because my life is so boring these days and I watch I'm usually like into the super like dramatic successions of the world and you know, like I like like really dark scripted stuff dramas. So I was watching this and I had the best time. I was like, oh, this is this is my new my new thing.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 3: It was fantastic. It was fun.
Speaker 2: This is Jersey and I'm not fluent either. I speak the language better than you, and I have institutional knowledge because I've been inside show, but some of these episodes, I have never seen this episode either.
Speaker 1: I don't know who everybody is either.
Speaker 2: I mean I have heard their names and seeing their faces, but I don't know the characters that well either.
Speaker 3: So well, let me just tell you one fun fact before we get into this. Only because you know, as far as my knowledge goes, I had the crazy assignment this had to be you might know more than me. But when Teresa got out of prison. When would that have been, Like.
Speaker 1: I have the one the literally maybe five years ago, maybe longer.
Speaker 3: I feel like this was maybe ten years ago. But as someone who didn't know the franchise that well, somehow I got the first post jail house interview with Teresa and this was in New York City and it was in a hotel room and it was three hours of exclusive. You had the exclusive, and I was the reporter on this. So that's that's what I remember. Gosh, that was almost eight years eight years ago. Yeah, and I got to sit down with her and like hear her talk about her prison experience or whatever. So that was like the biggest, most in depth like moment. And so it was wild to like watch her in this episode and just see how much has changed him where she is and I had no idea, so I kind of got caught up on all that.
Speaker 2: And now right now, I'm sure you know she's married and it's controversial too, and it's just a crazy environment. But Delores and Frank, I don't know what season she started, but I think Frank is her ex husband and she shares a son with him, so you saw that she has a son. I think he's like, you know, he looks like a hot kid, but I think people think he's like a really hot son and and he It's what was interesting to me was that he was friend. He seems like he's very close with her current boyfriend who's a doctor.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, did you see that in the kitchen. I did see that in the kitchen. I was trying to piece together, like, Okay, what are all the moving parts here? And yeah he By the way, my son is off to college next week, so I like I get the whole, like, oh my god, grown man but still a child. And he was studying for his what trying to get into business score or something. Anyway, Yeah, that's an interesting dynamic. She's like living with her ex right like on occasion.
Speaker 1: No, I don't know.
Speaker 2: She seems always like it seems like her ACX is always her date and her plus one. And this audience, this Bravo audience, myself including likes this guy Frank. He's a good fun character and he's you know, he's like this like cute sweet meathead that is just always around her. And I don't know if he really is in love with her. They're best friends, they've worked together. I think I think they've done houses together, but he seems like a good guy and it just didn't work from a relationship standpoint. I think he might have cheated on her when they were together or something. But it's weird to watch when you know that she has broken up with this other guy. I don't know when or who she's with now, but I think it's in like my periphery that she's not with this guy, and this is sort of like they're setting up with the fact that they're going to break up. So I'm of course thinking about what's going to happen with the son and this guy's relationship. But when a son is older, when a child is older, they're an adult and they have their own phone number and text and emails so they can have whatever relationships they want.
Speaker 1: He's an adult.
Speaker 3: Yeah, completely, completely. I don't know enough about the backstory, but but it's hard to keep up. It's hard to keep up. Do you know that? That's exactly what I mean. I'm sorry, I'm not bringing it back to myself again, but this is exactly this is exactly what's going on in my life at the moment. I moved to Malibu because of my new partner. I've been dating for two years and I have two sons and they're eighteen and twenty two. And it's so interesting because they have such a great relationship with their own dad that it takes the pressure off because to your point, it's like they can be as close to Greg as they want to be. They can like connect with them, they can golf with them, they can you know, gro out with him if they want to, but they don't have to. They're old, they're older, you know what I mean. Like, so it's kind of like letting it or gan evolve to the level that they want to and they can come here as much as they want, and they don't have to be here if they don't want to be. It's kind of nice. It's kind of freeing when your kids do get older in that sense that when you are choosing a partner, as so many middle aged women are, you know, maybe the second time around, or third time around, or who knows what, but you can actually choose for yourself. And obviously you want your kids and your family to adore your partner, but if they don't, it's not the end of the world. It's not a deal breaker.
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, yes, do apply it to yourself. Don't say I don't want to make I want you to apply it to yourself, because that's literally what the show is about. It's funny that I just walk into something and you happen to be experiencing it, which I do like this show as a vehicle for that. But yeah, and I find when kids are little kids, you're kind of just like sticking them in a car seat and they're doing what you want them to do, and if they don't like someone that you're with, they'll make a comment, or if someone doesn't like you, it makes you feel really bad and it's something you have to deal with and you think it's going to last forever. For those of you listening that are in blended families or blended relationship or step kids that hate you or whatever, things like that are really just a moment in time, and even more so where if there's blending, even teens, tweens, high school, college, there are so few moments that everybody has to be all together at the same time. Like that's what holidays before, That's why holidays are stressful. But in my well, I have a blended situation. We all have a great relationship. But it's not that often that everyone is actually together, because there's time that my daughter's with a father and I'm with my daughter and I'm with my fiance and he is this kid likes. It's hard to corral an entire stable, you know of animals, so so to your point, especially when they're older, everybody kind of can have the relationship they want to have. And yes, the pressure is off. People are adults. They can say what's on their mind. And a child adult can say, I think that's disrespectful what you just said to me, and an adult adult can say you're spoiled and you know whatever.
Speaker 1: Like kind of people have voices, Yes.
Speaker 3: They do, and it is hard to corral everybody, and sometimes it's good kind of to not. I mean, life is so busy and everybody's got their own agendas and their responsibilities and all of that. I mean, Greg I just inherited four kids. Greg has four kids, so I have never dated anyone after having my own children who was a father, and so this is much less.
Speaker 1: Four four No, that's a lot, right, it's a lot.
Speaker 3: And there of course with their mothers week on, week off, week one week off, so it's not all the time. And I think kind of like what you're saying, it's nice that way in a sesse. It's like they come, they go. It's not one hundred percent of the time. Everybody can come up for air. Everybody has their own little spaces and places in this world that make them feel good, and it's the pressure's off because of that.
Speaker 2: I think for sure, Well, it's the good thing that no one says aloud, Like in twenty twenty three, it's okay, you might not the relationship might not work for you. If you had to live with six children in your house, you might not be that. But I couldn't do it. So I could fall in love with someone who had four kids. But if I and that's what happens in the beginning of relationships. That's why people have to really talk about this stuff more when they're dating and be honest about it, or listen to people like us who have experienced it. If you thought you had to eat the whole entire chicken at once, you might throw up.
Speaker 1: You couldn't handle it.
Speaker 2: Like if I thought I had to have that whole blended family, the idea of it, it would overwhelm me. But in real life, like, everything's a living breeding organism, and it there's no such thing as really traditional now unless you're twenty four and you both come up together and the parents are best friends and everyone travels together and it's like an Italian family from the sixties.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And just to add one more layer, I mean here, I am about to be literally Bethanny. In five days. I dropped my son off at college, my baby, and I'm like, I was about to be an empty nester. And some you know, my friends are like, cool, wait a minute. You were literally about your whole world could open up. You could do anything, go anywhere, have any job, take on any project. The freedom was literally right here in front of my face. And of course I fall in love with someone with four young kids, and that wasn't consideration. It was just like Kat, They're like, are you sure you want to sign up for that? You know, and they're lovely and they're such great children, and I keep saying that. They're like yeah, but still it's four kids.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, it's exactly so.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: People do distance, people do divorce, people do widow people do everything. So I agree, And that's interesting. That's funny that that kitchen conversation brought this whole thing up. So the next topic that was interesting to me about Dolores was, you know, new ass new DIDs, and she didn't tell her life partner. Now that is really interesting.
Speaker 3: How does that even happen?
Speaker 1: I don't actually know.
Speaker 2: Maybe he was on a business trip where she said she was at a spot. I don't that's a great point. I don't know if we saw that, but I didn't see it wasn't in this episode. Obviously she doesn't have to ask him, and she knows he's very against elective surgery. But I think you just have to tell your partner about something we were going under, and I just it's a I can't imagine being in that dynamic. I mean, I wouldn't have to ask Paul's permission to do anything, but right he would feel hurt if I didn't include him. So that's a cautionary tale about their relationship. I think, I think it's nice to have the endorsement. Like you said, you don't need permission from anybody else, especially your partner, I don't think, but but but a little support, a little endorsement. I could not imagine keeping something of that gravity from someone that yeah, is, but also what about the compassion and the bedside man or there are times that my Fance does jiu jitsu and like, you know, he's he's in his forties and he's strong and he's good at it, but sometimes he goes too hard and that he hurts himself. He doesn't want to admit it because he feels like an idiot that he hurt himself. But I'm still there, like, are you okay? Whether I thought he should have been doing it right after he was injured before or something, It's still like you want the bedside manner of someone if you've gone through surgery.
Speaker 1: So I thought that whole thing.
Speaker 2: It's wild, like the show is showing that that relationship is not.
Speaker 3: Going to work. Yeah, I don't. I don't know how that's that's that's again possible to a not tell them and be for them to be anywhere within the vicinity to be supportive or judge whatever that that is. You'd think that'd be a little more intimate dynamic. You do know, I just got a facelift. Do you know this? Oh? No, yes, this is crazy? Yes me. So that's when I was watching the episode, I was like.
Speaker 1: Oh, this hell thing is about you.
Speaker 2: I mean, I know, I love my producers and they're always great a pairing guests. There's no way that they paired you because of all this, that then they would be savants and genius.
Speaker 1: Like your episode. Okay, so go ahead. That's funny.
Speaker 3: It's crazy because I this is my first surgery ever, so I I mean, yeah, it is. Technically it is my first and certainly my first cosmetic surgery. And I had a facelift, I had a necklift, and I had a buffer of PLASTI with my eyes. And I've been talking about what is the bluff it's like removing the skin from the hooded hoodedness. Yes, And just how long ago the surgery was in May? So I'm all, I'm about two months and some change since I had so new, it's very new. It's been kind of all I've been talking about and healing from still healing, like even my ears are a little numb and look amazing.
Speaker 2: I mean, I can't I need to see like now, I need to see what you looked like before again, But you look amazing, always are beautiful.
Speaker 3: But I'm so happy with the results and nice, I'm so, so so happy and I've been talking about this because so much of kind of what I am speaking about with my own audiences these days is about you know, being a middle aged woman and what's available to us and how to feel good in our bodies, like all of it, the vain, you know, cosmetic side, internal subject, the whole thing. Oh God, bless, oh God, bless. A great doctor, great doctor. But it was funny because for me and my little bubble in my little world, even though I've you know, been in Hollywood for ages, it was a big deal for me to do that. I mean, it's a very big decision. And that I watched this episode, I was like, oh, I don't feel so bad. Everybody's been under the knife and she's had her butt done, her this done or it's done.
Speaker 1: You know, did you feel.
Speaker 2: Weird in a fairly new relationship to say to him? Did you feel self conscious and like weird and old like that? You're but he has four kids, so he's not a spring chicken at for kids.
Speaker 3: He is older, he's four years older. He's fifty, you know, five years older. And but it was back to this plot line, like I there is no way literally not as an out of possibility that I would be in a relationship and this wouldn't be a consideration for both of us to have that discussion.
Speaker 1: I mean, of course that's what you're that's the point.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I was like, of course I did. I was like, what do you think? And and his big thing was, I just want you to still look like you, Like, I don't want to end up with a new girlfriend that comes home from the doctor. And it's like, I have a brand new person in my life. So, you know, he expressed his concerns. I comfort him seventeen different ways that I knew how to say. That's also what I want. So we talked about eight length and yes he is happy and he comments often, and you know, I'm like, cee, cee, like, you know good.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's so nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's so funny that this is the episode. And the woman Margaret who's on the show, I don't know if she's talked about plastic surgery, and certainly on that one to quote unquote out, but everybody on the show seems pretty open about the woman Dolores that had the butt stuff. She's one of the only people that she's one of the only housewives who admit that they're on ozempic or munjaro or one of those, or semi glue tie whatever, and there has been a sweeping, dramatic housewife weight loss, and everyone's just acting like in their fifties and menopause, they just started losing weight. And it's really stupid and hilarious at the same time. It's funny, but like I think that they've just it's become more common, so now they probably would have admitted it, but they're stuck in the lie because they are ready lied about it. But I'm not saying that's Margaret. I don't even know if she's on ozempi. I don't know what she looked like before, but she looks very fresh. Like I feel like I've seen her a lot in the press and other things. She looks her face looks very very she's a fresh look.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 3: Well, and it's going on so much more. I mean, you know, like, you know, I don't know if people are everybody's getting a facelift these days, but you know, I love it. And you look at someone and you're like, they look so refreshed to your point, and people are like, oh my god, you know she had such and such makeup artists do her makeup, and it's like, I don't think that's like a really well done eyeliner. I think that's a lot about the filter.
Speaker 1: How would you know?
Speaker 2: I mean, you could just do a filter and then you have a facelift every day you never left your house. You could just do everything in a filter and it would be you don't have to do the surgery.
Speaker 3: I know you really, you really literally would not have you know, let's talk.
Speaker 2: About this jen Aden scenario. She's got I think she's Turkish, she's got this. She's got her mother, her old fashioned mother who her and her father and siblings are kind of talking about. And the father's moved in and they're all trashing this mom. But I'm just thinking about on TV, like, you know, talking about the mom and having the dad move in.
Speaker 1: It just seemed like a little cringey.
Speaker 3: I know, I found myself thinking, well, dear God, I hope they're not watching.
Speaker 1: Right, like, yeah, like, what's the upside of this?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: I feel I feel like she tried to make it like put a button on it by saying, no matter what, all of my mother or in every relationship with all of our mothers is strained. But yeah, it wasn't necessarily a good look. I mean, I don't know, because you would know you're of the reality ilk, but like how much of that is talking about in advance or or sometimes if there's nothing nothing going on? Is that just like.
Speaker 1: Almost like.
Speaker 2: A character needs to have something going on and a story, and so Britans just sit down and ask what's going on in your life? And they might see what's going on in the house and the father's living there, and then she says, my father's living here, and then they're probably like, well, we have to go into that because your father's living here.
Speaker 3: But they it's not a little like that to me, Like it wasn't like a lot, but it was almost like making it something. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yes, I agree, it's funny because jen Aiden's husband is a doctor. I think he's a plastic surgeon. It's funny he parties with those other guys a lot, and it just it seems like they're always giving him shots and he's always hung over, and it just seems like he's adhering to peer pressure on a reality show. But as an adult, it just always seems like these it's sort of funny but it's ridiculous. These other guys are kind of always corrupting him because he doesn't seem to fit in with this group, which is an example of what happens like you make show friends.
Speaker 3: Mm well, speaking of being adults, I mean, this is probably like I watched you know, the party scene, the birthday scene, and the drinking and the shit talking and you know, the planting of the maybe this affair and all this stuff, and I was just like, are these people grown ass people?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: Like, for me, yeah, this is insane. I'm just like I did that when I was sixteen and barely did it at sixt eighteen, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Just partying, like the partying, like the planes going yeah, like the yeah, the just I.
Speaker 3: Mean, I know that's what reality television is supposed to be, and I know that that's the drama and the juice and the tea and all that, but I'm just like, these are grown ass people with children, you know what.
Speaker 2: I'm like, You're just a definite breed. I'm a homebody. It sounds like you're a harm but homebody totally.
Speaker 3: I brought my meditation and my hot yoga, which, by the way, I mean just a little juice for you, which is completely ironic that we are speaking and that I'm even talking about the Housewives, because I never really really watched a night Like I said, I'm boring. I'm not like throwing tables and getting drunken public or anything. But two a year ago, the Housewives Beverly Hills contacted me, and so I went through a whole series of technically auditions to be on the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. Little juice spread and at the time, I was just like, why would they I am so not of the breed, you know, I don't think you know, I'm like I would be the super like on the matt reading meditations, journaling with people type of character. But it was funny, I it was. It was interesting for me to consender. I was tempted because, as you well know, I mean, it's like, you know, it's that type of positioning could help anyone's career or further or all the things I did want that maybe aren't on that show. I could probably you know, further and develop and grow because of having that type of platform. So yes, I was tempted, but I thought, I just don't know how I would. And by the way, some of those women I do know probably the best, just because we're all in LA and are friends of mine but not friends, but you know, friends LA friends. And I was tempted, but it didn't work out in the end anyway. Maybe that's why, because they're like, well, she's gonna be way too safe and not nearly entertaining enough.
Speaker 1: And you want to know what, I'll tell you something.
Speaker 2: There are girls that in thinking about everything I'm going through right now, which I'll talk about separately also on this podcast I'm having, I'm doing a lot of reflecting, and I'm thinking about my participation in the toxicity in certain areas things I just said anecdotally about people on my show and other casts, like informer blogs we used to do or when Pride and I'm watching What Happens Live and things that were not nice, and that is the nature of that genre. And I bring this up because people like Kristin Takman, who I met on the show, or Tinsley who I met on the show, are actually really lovely people, and I got into it a lot with them on the show because they're not great housewives. Because they're not they weren't maybe raised by animals and ready to like go to battle in a way that I'm capable of.
Speaker 1: You know, they they're maybe not.
Speaker 2: They may not always jump off the page and have the funniest, immediate, snarky quick comment like a professional like sniper like I am. And sometimes and sometimes with people like that, I didn't really connect with them because we were on a battlefield, but like there was no time for like normalcy and friendship. And I'm doing a lot of reflecting about that because it's very relevant. It is a little mean girls, and it is very high school in the sense that I've seen other shows, other housewives shows, and I've seen people that, in my opinion and for my judgmental standards, have done some sleazy, trashy things in their lives right, and then they've been murdered for it and they've had to live it down forever. And I've been part of that entire sphere that judge that because action the viewers too. Just like we're in high school. If someone in my high school slept with six guys, I probably would have thought and said they were a slut. Okay, And as an adult now who has a daughter, the slut which is a terrible word has parents who are watching people say mean things because of whatever choices that child made.
Speaker 1: I could cry.
Speaker 2: And I'm thinking about housewives and bad decisions and where the line is and how it's ruined their lives when people have found out things about them that and ruined their lives. And I've been part of that entire atmosphere, thinking, saying, judging, being asked about it. I'm watching it happens live like some anecdotal comment, and it's really hurt a lot of people, not just me, the whole medium. And there is a line. It's been entirely crossed. And you know, someone asked me the other day if this is my penance. It was not intentionally my penance, but in being manic in my house this morning and cleaning out like five bags of clothes as if it was like some weird obsession because I'm like not dealing with what I really need to be dealing with. Yeah, I said to this reporter, I think it might be my penance. So I say that to you as somebody who I don't think would necessarily be a good housewife, and that's probably a good thing.
Speaker 3: Well, it's all I know. It is a good thing because all I know at this age of and with all I've learned and the wisdom I've I guess gained, and the beauty of aging is I know myself better than I've ever known myself, and I wouldn't. I could not fake the funk, nor would I want to. What that would do to my energy, my spirit, And it's just not worth it. It's not worth it for a paycheck. No thank you now.
Speaker 2: No knowing that you were tempted says what the whole thing is meaning? You want to be more successful. I'm sure you want to make more money. You want to, you know, and you would go on and if you were doing really well, you might end up on anti anxiety medication, which many housewives do, and you might realize you had a great season because you had it going good, and then the next season, because it's a zero sum games, someone has to take you down. So someone's always winning, someone's always losing, someone's always killing, and someone's always getting killed. So I've definitely been part of that.
Speaker 3: That sounds like my absolute worst nightmare, right There couldn't be anything that would hurt more. It just sounds. It sounds excruciating. How do you survive that, like, how.
Speaker 2: Do you millions of dollars and going in there with eight thousand dollars in my bank account to my name, growing up in a very abusive household and environment and at the racetrack being a survivor, living the hunger games, being in nightclubs at thirteen years old, doing very terrible things that I shouldn't be doing. That I would die if my daughter was doing. I was raised like an animal, So how did I do it? That's out because that's what I you know, when I was broke and I was going to the top. But am I proud of my entire involvement at this time moment in time?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: No, But you know, well, it's like what you mentioned. It can change people's lives. It can ruin people's lives, it can end their careers. Like the consequences like, yeah, that's the risk. People gamble, You get in and then look.
Speaker 2: What happens and can happen to people within It's no different than what I'm saying. Within an episode or a season, it's kill or be killed, and someone's always winning or losing.
Speaker 1: Within the entire.
Speaker 2: Sphere and game, it's also someone's always winning and losing. Arianna is winning. That girl over Keel is fully losing. This one's winning, the other one's fully losing, and it affects their entire life. And both Arianna and Raquel have parents that have to watch whatever.
Speaker 1: This rollercoaster is so.
Speaker 3: Anxiety hearing you talk about this. No wonder, I I mean, like.
Speaker 2: Ter never look back, don't worry, You're better for so all right, So now we're at this guy's birthday. Now, this poor guy's birthday. Now, I don't really care if he's cheated or hasn't cheated.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: They have four kids too, And I couldn't believe it. I had never seen it. I couldn't believe it. And in many cases I've been teamed Teresa, but not based on watching the show, based on just like a mother went to jail, like came back. She's honest about who she is. She's a fighter, survivor. Like it's kind of just like what I've what I think I know. I haven't watched that much of Housewives. I've watched individual episodes for the show, and just throughout my life, I've never been dedicated. So that was pretty horrendous. Like that's as bad as I've ever seen, And I don't care what the girl did to her at this point, I don't care. I can't believe she walked through someone's birthday party that she was attending and spread a rumor like that's really bad. That's that was disgusting.
Speaker 3: I was despicable. It's despicable. And I've been in that situation where we've heard something that's going on in you know, about a friend or a friend's partner and the cheating room or whatever. There were twenty five other ways she could have went about this. Then to go do that behind her back at a night where they're celebrating, like dropping that little rumor in every little at every corner of that party that she could it was really That's when I was just like, can this be real? Or is this reality television? Because that was a terrible, terrible decision. And then when they do confront one another about her, when Jackie confronts Teresa and then uses the analogy that it's like Jackie's spreading a rumor about Teresa's daughter doing cocaine in the bathroom at school or something and telling everybody but her, and then Teresa loses her and calls her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't justified at all, Teresa, no argument. Yeah, she was using an analogy saying it would be like me saying yes, And it was smart of her to say that, and yeah, of course yeah, and then for her to get crazy that just that was nuts. But the thing is to answer your question how it goes down. And this is why this whole sphere of is it real and what is reality is going to come crashing down like a house of cards, because.
Speaker 1: What is it reality?
Speaker 2: That Teresa said to a producer and maybe a friend, something that she heard from one person, Yeah, that's reality. In her life, she's working on a reality show with people she's friends with, not friends with, has alliances because of television, and she has producers at her house all the time. There's tape up on the walls because they have cameras all the time. So she told a friend and maybe a friend told the producer. Because it's always killing or being killed. There's always if there's new meat, new content, someone wants to bring it to the forefront. No one can happen without bringing it to the forefront. So no, that's not real, because in your real life there are a lot of things you know and have heard, and you don't bring it to the forefront.
Speaker 1: So a producer has.
Speaker 2: A meeting with her and then is in the car with her and before she gets Mike to go into a scene, and one hundred percent said, are you going to mention what you heard from?
Speaker 1: Blah blah blah and a.
Speaker 2: Not that intelligent house, So I doesn't make choices for themselves and goes in like a robot and delivers, you know, messages that they're told from producers. So she went in and she also was drunk. You're drinking a lot of alcohol, which I also am starting to have a problem with. Where's the line when producers will say this person cannot be served anymore. We're in a workplace that's going to come out too. Yes, everyone can drink, it's real life. But the cameras add thirst they want. They make drinking seem like a very good idea.
Speaker 1: I've been there.
Speaker 2: I don't I'm not a massive drinker, but you feel like you're adrenaline so high, you're so stressed out. You got cameras, and it's a good idea of pound drinks just.
Speaker 3: Games, so you know you're you could be killed at any moment.
Speaker 2: You'reas you're stressed out and you're not drinking a lot of water, and you drink more and no housewife will disagree, okay none. No one's forcing you to drink alcohol like they say. I've said that publicly about a Viva dresser. No one's flying you alcohol. But who's holding back from what's not correct in the workplace? So people get excited on reality TV the more people get wasted. They get excited if somebody goes off the wagon uses drugs as a rumor, everything bad is good in the upside down. So this so Teresa goes and thinks it's a good idea to get this out into the forefront. And it is good in reality TV because it's horrendous and it means we can do twelve scenes coming off of that. And I've been part of it and I've been the ringleader in it, so just so you know, but it was really not It was not great, and I'm a hypocrite for saying it. But this is the episode that I'm watching, and this is what I.
Speaker 3: Think, well, because everybody in I think with any kind of reasonable judgment and morality when we're not on a reality show, if one hears that about their friend's boyfriend husband, whatever, What do you do? Two things? One you're considering do I say anything at all? Because is it just a rumor? Or are there seats that I can actually back this up? And two you go to the friend. You don't go to strangers in a party. You don't go call on somebody. You don't send out a group text to everyone you know other than your friend. You go to your friend.
Speaker 2: Yes, and yeah, I don't think it's her friend, it's her showfriend, which also isn't real. It's a show structure where you put with other people. So many times these reality shows make people film and say you can't leave, and it's called because how can you make someone film their life? Like?
Speaker 1: That's not real?
Speaker 2: No one can come to my house today and put a CA So you sign up for something that may not be may not seem as intense as it's going to be. And so and then Melissa said it best when she said, can we just rewind? Like she wants to rewind the occurrence the faces that everyone's making, Margaret, everyone they're a guest. It's just it's it's outrageous that it went on. It didn't make for an entertaining show. I will say that it did make for an entertainer show one hundred percent. And then Joe, Melissa's husband is like, yeah, he's a good looking guy. Like as him being a good looking guy and anything to do having an affair.
Speaker 3: That's hired me so much. I'm like, and is as if she's not a good looking woman who deserves a faithful husband.
Speaker 1: I don't understand that at all.
Speaker 2: And it's funny because sometimes Paul will say with me about we're having a dispute, and he'll say to me, it wasn't the message, it was the messaging. Like I the messaging in this was so bad. I don't even care what this man chooses to do with his personal life.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter to me.
Speaker 2: It was this is so disrespectful at his birthday party, and how embarrassing too to see him and her and I love you and amazing and she's having the best night of her life and she's in her interview saying how amazing is And that's the number one thing that people hate about an affair, not even the act, but feeling like the fool.
Speaker 3: The fool, right, Yes, that's it. That's the worst, not knowing the secrets, the deceit, the deceit because you feel like such an idiot.
Speaker 1: And everybody else knew and it's taught.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like you're the village idiot totally.
Speaker 3: So been there last relationship.
Speaker 2: But wow, gods is like this was like design for you. Yeah, you feel like the idiot fool.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that's I mean, listen, there is such a thing. I don't know if it's happily ever after. I'm in the healthiest relationship right now that I've ever been into my adult life. But my ex and I've spoken about this on my podcast and he knows it. And but he I was. He was a chronic serial cheater and I learned. I learned the biggest life lesson truly of my forty eight years through that relationship. And it hurt and it sucked. And do you know how many dms bephany I got from other women like, uh, are you still with that guy because he's boning my friend? I mean, like whole day long. It was devastating and hurtful, and then you lose your s of self and then you're walking on eggshells and then you're gas lits. So many times you don't know what the truth is, what the lies are. I was in that kind of relations show that and so I get it. I know that feeling of just betrayal. It's like the it's the worst, worst, worst feeling, and then you and then you can only blame that person and point the finger so long before you have to point the finger at yourself and go, why why am I staying? What is my part? How have I contributed? Like? Why why did I allow that? I knew the truth? You know, I allowed it one too many times. So I had a lot of healing to do from that. Yes, exactly, yeah, I had.
Speaker 2: There was a woman on New York Housewives and I brought in to the show the fact, and I was very upset to do it, and she wasn't a good friend of mine, which I was, I admitted, but she wasn't not on the show with me, and it was sort of my responsibility, and I did bring it into the show. There was a man that she was with that she was about to marry, and I thought he was terrible. So it's a little bit of a different circumstance. And someone married for years, loves him and has four kids, someone is about to marry someone who everyone knows is a cheater and not a great guy. And I brought it into the show, and I still it came back like a boomerang, and I still felt bad about it because she ended up marrying him, and she was one of the women that doesn't want to know. And so I realized there are women that don't want to know and a woman who and I'm not saying the guy did anything. I don't know a thing about this man, but a woman of four children who's happy certainly doesn't want to know.
Speaker 3: No, No, it's so funny you bring that up because, oh god, I'm saying probably more than I should. But when my last partner went on to get in another relationship, people are like, oh, man, do you think she knows? Like once you're you know, a leopard doesn't change his stripes, Like is she just going to be the next person dealing with this type of devastation or whatever? And my yoga self is over here going, oh, people change, like I really do. Do you wish everybody the best? I wish I've win the best. It doesn't It doesn't behoove me to wish people misery and pain, right, But I'm like you know, people do change, maybe changed, maybe they're you know, she's the perfect fit for him and good for them, happily ever after whatever. But then it's also, like I said, the same thing I said, also, maybe maybe she's that type of woman who's like maybe they haven't don't put a relationship right, I know, maybe like she's like down with like three simes, or maybe she's fulfilling that need that he never received with perhaps me or other women. So you just don't know what's going on within people.
Speaker 1: No, exactly.
Speaker 2: Most women have some sense of something and they choose their own adventure. But that's the thing about back to being on a reality show, and I'm with you that I think it was entire I think she handled herself with grace.
Speaker 1: I really do.
Speaker 2: She didn't go crazy, which I would have gone crazy, and she was very civilized, and she was very embarrassed, and she was honest about being embarrassed, and she was like, please just retract this, Like she was really very dignified in my opinion, in that scenario. And then Teresa acted in a way as if she Teresa. Actually I never knew the word gas lip back in the day, and it's overused, but it's used properly here in that Teresa was gaslighting her by projecting the fact that she had just said something about Teresa's daughter like you're a piece of shit, Like I mean, Jackie was entirely justified in saying it would be like me hearing a rumor about your daughter and saying and it really hit close to home for Teresa.
Speaker 3: I also think she knew she was so in the wrong already that it just gave her a reason to eject herself from the whole thing. That's kind I think she was just like, oh, okay, fine, I'm gonna get so pissed about this and just leave. It appeared to me like she that gave her some type of ammunition to justify leaving the conversation.
Speaker 1: When was the ultimate turnaround? Yeah, so yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's funny because I've been having this fleeting thought of like, should I be doing this show anymore? Because I'm coming so heavily against this entire genre, not just of this show, but other shows and just a genre of mistreatment in a very new medium in the world compared to television and film and all this. And then I have conversations like this and I realized why I am doing it, and I like this show because we're utilizing it as a vehicle. We're not trashing bashing, like we're actually understanding people that have been portrayed badly on these shows. So I love doing it and you are so perfect to do it with because you attribute it to your own life, which I'm sure you never thought you'd be doing.
Speaker 3: No. But at the end of the day, I mean, I love women, I just do. That's why I enjoyed watching this episode. Was reminded of how firstly funny a lot of it was for me. I giggled a lot. I like, you know, when you're talking back at an episode or a TV show, you know it's a good one. But like, I do have compassion for everybody, and I just I felt compassion for Jackie in that situation, you know, like talking shit at Teresa. Sorry, not sorry Teresa. You know, but but I think you know, we all, you know, it's kind of the beauty of life, Like we're all just living our own journey, but it's nice to dip into other people's journeys and it's it's fun.
Speaker 2: Well, you were amazing, I mean really amazing. You look beautiful. I'm so happy you're in a beautiful relationship in a beautiful place. And I'm happy you didn't do the Housewives because it would somehow swallow you up and spit you out. And the risk is too great at a place in your life where you are now middle aged and you are happy, the risk is too great. Look, you know Kathy Hilton left. She did not need that. So I think everything happened.
Speaker 1: For a reason. I appreciate you coming and talking.
Speaker 3: About it, Bethany. I really am a fan of yours and I love what you put into the world and you you you have a communication style I will never ever have you just so like your opinion, Like you're just so interesting and raw, and you don't think before you speak, but you're so good at it, you know what I mean, Like you don't need to and I love what you do as an activist, and I love that you are in the middle of this important conversation during the strike and who knows what's going to happen with all that, But like we need people like you, and so you should come on my podcast sometime. I'd love to talk with you about some of the these important, deep issues.
Speaker 1: I think it would be great, perfect, wonderful.
Speaker 3: And how you've changed, Like I love hearing you say about your own evolution and looking back and you know, reflecting on what those shows meant to you, you know at that time in your life, and how we all are, you know, shedding different versions of ourselves and end up you know anew and maybe that's you know where you are right now. So I don't know, but I like to get into it with you.
Speaker 1: Amazing love to thank you so much, Kat, thank you. I have a great day.