Speaker 1: It just goes to show nothing is impossible because you pointed out the banana suit. Ten years ago. If you would have said he is going to grow into this kind of leader, I would have bet a lot of money against man.
Speaker 2: It is good to be back with you guys live on Dodgers' territory. That is Clint Psias. He was holding down the fort all of last week while I was on vacation. I am Alana Rizzo. We are together again for a brand new episode of DT. Thanks for being with us. Make sure that you rate us five stars, like subscribe all of the things wherever you get your podcasts as well as on YouTube. We love having you guys, and we love having Dodgers. President of Baseball Operations Andrew Friedman is coming on the show momentarily. Clint, it's been a hell of an off season. Let's get into the big ticket.
Speaker 3: Let's do it.
Speaker 2: My goodness, I tell you you and I had a list of all of the people we wanted to have come back to the Los Angeles Dodgers, either come back or be added to and every single one that we wanted is there, the latest being keyk Hernandez. Albeit the Dodgers have not made it official, but Key K himself has said hashtag twenty sixth man, he's walking through that door.
Speaker 1: He is back.
Speaker 2: What your thought, Oh, there it is. That's not the twenty twenty four World Series Championship ring. That is the twenty twenty World Series Championship ring. But Key K is officially, according to him back in Dodger Blue Clint, Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's It's what we wanted. It's what the fans wanted. What's what every player we've spoken to or heard from this offseason wanted. Key Y Hernandez. There is something special that he brings to the clubhouse. Yeah, the numbers aren't always the sexiest, but he finds a way to produce for this team when they need it most. There's just so much talent. I cannot wait to talk to Andrew about how they fit this very complex puzzle together. But I would rather have more talent than less talent, as we've seen in decades past as Dodgers fan, So welcome back. He k waiting for it to be official. But love, love, love everything about this. How are you feeling about Enrique being back?
Speaker 2: I mean, I can't tell you the last time I was this confident about a roster going into a spring training season, which is obviously here. Welcome baseball, Welcome baseball, Welcome baseball. The Super Bowl is over. Congratulations to the Philadelphia Eagles. I'm so sick of the Chiefs and I'm just excited. I'm excited to talk to Andrew about this team that he has built. Why so many pieces now versus the trade deadline. We'll get into that with him. I'm grading this offseason as an a plus. As we said, Clint, every single person we wanted starting back with obviously, the Tommy Edmund extension. Miguel Rojas is back. Austin Barnes obviously was given. You know, he's back with the team as well, the longest tenured Dodger other than Clayton Kershaw. And then you have I Blake Trin and I want him back desperately. Then you get by the way, we want Tanner Scott Okay, I didn't even ask for Kirby Yates. We got him, Roki Sasaki, we want him done. Tay Oscar, they better bring him back. Okay, he Gay, we want him back. Now. The step Brothers are back together, the Hernandez Bros. Are back together. I'm giving it an A plus. What are you giving it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is I said it a couple weeks ago. I don't know how you get a better grade, but this is like SSS plus plus plus. This is the absolute best offseason you could ask for. That's one of the things I do want to ask Andrew about as well, because I got a sense during the parade, you got a sense that they got that taste of of, you know, a real World Series champions ship. They got that opportunity to celebrate with the city of Los Angeles, and they want it back. They want it again. They really really want to do that again. It's fun to win baseball games, it's fun to win championships and bring home that Commissioner's Trophy, and they want to do it again. Like like shoe hae Otani said, let's do it nine more times. This is a good way to set up for I mean, at this point, it's got to be at least two in the next five years. Maybe that might not be enough. How set up is this team for the next half decade for success?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean that's what you're saying. Mookie Bett's like, yeah, let me get nine more and then we can talk about it. But let me ask you this, though, do they now have to win? I mean, if you look at this roster Clint. Last year, some might say they had no business winning with all of the pitching injuries that they had. This team was decimated, and they figured it out and they won. And this year, my gosh, they are so stacked. I almost feel like we know the Dodgers are getting into the postseason right. This team is built for October. We know, barring some catastrophe, they're going to the playoffs. So this team is the roster is constructed to not only get into the postseason, but to go far into the postseason. So I would think now with this team, they've got to win it all, correct.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean the narrow last year Mookie Bets put it out there a dog Dodger Fest. Twenty twenty four, we have a target on our backs. It's every team's World Series when we head into their ballpark, it's got to be the same feeling. I mean, it was World Series or bus last year. When you make the sheer amount of moves at bringing as much talent that they brought in this offseason. We understand the playoffs are a crap shoot, but if they're not in the World Series and like one win away from winning the title this year. Yeah, it's hard to call it a failure, but it almost feels like it would be a failure to not bring home a title with all of these additions.
Speaker 2: I mean, let's be honest, though, the Dodgers are always expected to win, and I understand the argument that they spend the most money, and I get it that guarantees that you get into the postseason. It does not guarantee that you win a World Championship. So they're used to the pressure, they're used to having the bullseye on their back. But man, this is a fun team. This is going to be so much fun to watch. And we you and I my friend are hoping to go down to camel Back Ranch and take Dave Roberts up on the offer that he put out to you and I when he was on our show not that long ago that said, hey, you know what, I know I was questioned during the postseason, but I'm willing to sit down with the two of us, Dave said and kind of go through those in game moves that he had and what he was thinking of and why he was moving those puzzle pieces. Of the way that he was, So I'm looking forward to that. So we're going to go down there. Foul Territory is going to be down at camel Back Ranch. Looking forward to that. Francisco, thanks for the super chat, my friend four ninety nine from Francisco Diaz. Even on the NFL's biggest day, mister Friedman and the Dodgers make headlines.
Speaker 1: Love Keith av and.
Speaker 2: Back, Let's go Dodgers, and congrats on your birds. Clint didn't know that. I didn't know that you were an Eagles fan?
Speaker 3: Are you big time Birds fan? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I got I got my Super Bowl fifty two glass up there. I was drinking lots of high balls out of it. Jim Beams sponsor your boy again, and yeah.
Speaker 3: It feels really really good. They telling me the.
Speaker 4: Eagles couldn't have done it without me. But this is not a show about the Philadelphia Eagles. This is a show about the Dodgers and bringing Key k Hernandez back and one piece, one piece left to complete. I guess I'm going to call it the Infinity Gauntlet here for the Frankie Freeman in this front office. You still need to see Clayton Kershaw back. Even though he's not pitching until July or August. I don't know how he fits in the rotation, even after talking to Faby and Ardaya about it last week while you were out. But still just give us all the talent. Just keep it coming to la I mean.
Speaker 1: I doubt that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have no doubt that Kershwasher. I just give him a French name. He's French now. By the way, I don't have a doubt in the world that Clayton's going to be back, but he'll be back when he's healthy and ready. Right, they don't need Clayton until September October, so they're going to be fine. And this game has a way of figuring it out. And as much talent as we have, there's going to be need for pitching. There always is because people unfortunately get hurt, you know, So we'll see what happens. We're going to talk to Andre Friedman back in just a moment, but before we do, a quick word from Aj Pierzinski and Scott Braun on one eight hundred flowers.
Speaker 5: Hey, Valentine's Day is coming up, and we have the recommendation for you to check out right now. Don't wait. It's one eight hundred flowers dot com. This year, we're partnering with one eight hundred Flowers to make sure you're a Valentine's legend with an exclusive offer for the ft fam. It's double the roses for free. When you buy one dozen, they're going to double your bouquet to two dozen roses. It's the perfect way to wow her without breaking the bank. One eight hundred Flowers always delivers. Let them dominate this holiday. It's what they do best.
Speaker 3: Think about everyone in your fam that deserves some love. On Valentine's Day, I sent a bouquet to my daughter at college and it lit up her day. I also added an awesome base to the order for so she's got it all.
Speaker 5: All roses from one eight hundred Flowers are picked at their peak, cared for every step of the way, and shipped fresh to ensure lasting beauty. Don't wait think ahead this year. Make it easy and get that deal right now. When you order one dozen, they'll double the rose bouquet for free. That's the ft deals that we're always looking out for. Go to one eight hundred flowers dot com slash ft. That's one eight hundred flowers dot com slash ft.
Speaker 2: And no doubt that Andrew Friedman will be dialing one eight hundred flowers to send to his lovely wife Robin. She should get them every single day with the amount of time that this man works uh and has to spend time away from her and their three beautiful kids. Andrew, Welcome to Dodgers territory. Two time World Series champion, President of Baseball Ops for the Dodgers. It is great to see you.
Speaker 1: He as well, Thanks for having me on now.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you very much. We were just talking about Key k Hernandez, albeit not officially made by the Dodgers, but Kik announced it himself. Looks like he's the twenty sixth man on your roster, probably the last to sign. I tell you what, why is he such an important piece, Andrew to what this team wants to achieve. We know that he lights up in the postseason, But why was this important for you? Because you had said at Dodgers Fest that the door has never closed on kyk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that is how we feel. The door will never be closed on him. And you know, for him, it was about you know, he and Mariana taking time and figuring out what made the most sense for them. It wasn't something for us that if we were not able to line up with kk, where we were going to go, Oh, here's the next best option. Like a lot of times, you have a need, you're targeting a need, you have the player at the top of your list and then others. In this case, it was Kik or nothing. And as you pointed out, still not official yet, but obviously the impact you know he may has made in October on field, it was obvious off field this past October may have been the most impressive displays of leadership I've ever seen. His connecting with different guys, going out of his way on a number of different fronts was quite possibly the most impressive leadership I've ever seen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's impressive to see the man who what about a decade ago, wore the banana suit. To see him grow and mature to become the like you said, the leader. It was very apparent during this postseason run, or this last postseason run. It was impaarent when he put a little bit of a target on himself talking to Ken Rosenthal and maybe getting himself a little bit of a fine.
Speaker 3: That was fun for everybody.
Speaker 4: Keik is just one part of the equation added to this team. You picked up a few Infinity stones. If you're reading the memes out there on the internet, Key K Snell, Tanner, Scott tay oscar Back, thank you for that. Rokie frickin' Sasaki did the front office? Did you guys hit on just about every point on your offseason checklist?
Speaker 1: Yeah, just to close up on Keyk real quickly. It just goes to show nothing is impossible because you pointed out the banana suit, and ten years ago, if you would have said he is going to grow into this kind of leader, I would have bet a lot of money against. So it just goes to show things can play out differently than you assume and expect. But no, I just wanted to take a little dig at Kik. But as far as the off season, you know, it's not anything we take for granted. I've been doing this a really long time and I've had a lot of a plans going into an off season. It's hard to make a deal. It's hard to sign a free agent, it's hard to make a trade. Those things are difficult. It's a really competitive industry and there's thirty really smart teams all trying you know, to do similar ish things. So it's really hard. And last offseason, in this offseason, you know, the off seasons have gone basically with our a plan, which is, you know, quite possibly something that will never play out again in my career. You know, very very fortunate, and it's not anything we take for granted at all.
Speaker 2: Andrew, let me ask you this because obviously you've been around this game for an incredibly long time, one of the bright minds.
Speaker 3: In this game.
Speaker 2: But you came from a very different organization in Tampa Bay. It was run very differently. So with that comes to challenges as well. You barely have you know, a deep check book there. And with the Dodgers it's different. Now you're known as the new Evil Empire. You're ruining baseball. We're giving out too many contracts, all this deferred money, which has always been there for some reason, people are just talking about it this year with the Dodgers. What are the challenges of both types of organizations And aside from the fact that the money is different, what is the biggest difference for you in that same role with two different teams.
Speaker 1: And we could do a whole lengthy podcast on that.
Speaker 2: Oh, we have time, We'll keep you. We'll keep you for hours if you want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are a lot of differences. And you know, being in the American League East with the Rays and our resources compared to the teams we were competing against, we had to think about things differently. We had to figure out levers, we had to be first to market on different inefficiencies. And you know, as we're competing against the Yankees and Red Sox, the greatest fear that I had was that they would have their financial might and be doing more cutting edge stuff and just being more proactive, and just what a difficult combination those two would be. And so when the Dodgers scene came around, you it was an incredibly difficult decision for me personally in that the people that I worked with, the Rais, we had gone to each other's weddings and we're apart. You know. It was just much more than you know, kind of typical work dynamics. And but part of the intrigue for me was, you know, I felt like I'd gotten to the point where I was a little bit complacent. Turns out, with retrospect, it wasn't quite that, But it was the idea of taking certain aspects of what we did with the rays and also having you know, the financial might to back up some moves that combination and how specially it could be, and just throwing myself in the deep end. I didn't have any idea what CBT was or exactly what went into it, and now I am incredibly well versed, but it was throwing myself in the deep end on a lot of fronts to rewire kind of how my brain thinks about things. And you know, but payroll doesn't decide the standings, and we've seen it time and time again, and there are a lot of teams that have spent a lot and haven't done well. There's teams that haven't had a super high payroll that have done well. And I think for me, the biggest thing about the focus about our payroll the biggest thing in that. Well. One, it's true and we have the financial might because of the passionate fans that we have and we're investing back the pressure we feel comes from our fans and the passion they show for this team and us being able to deliver for them one, but two, to me, it takes away a lot of the accomplishments of so many people, our scouting staff, our player development staff, our international guys are R and D group. We have so many high performing men and women in so many different roles that are killing it professionally and have been a huge part of the success we've had. That just kind of gets washed away. It's like, oh, they're just spinning a lot, so they're going to be good. It's the amount of things we are doing really well because of so many people that that is one thing that bothers me in it is it's not giving enough credit for the amazing work that so many.
Speaker 2: Are doing, No question about that. Do you laugh when people say you're the man ruining baseball?
Speaker 1: You know, I've gotten asked that just twenty nine fan bases feel that way, and I just turn it around and say, the inverse of that means that our fans are really happy, and that's what we're charged with and that's.
Speaker 2: How you work for.
Speaker 1: So there you go.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this before Clint jumps in here. Can you explain the situation and how things have kind of changed in terms of show Hey Otani and the whole you know, designated hitter and two way player type of situation. If you look at it either the current MLB season or any of the two previous seasons. So this has been a recent change as of February seventh. Can you explain what this means to our fan base?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wasn't aware of the change February seventh, and that actually reads the same as my understanding of the rule.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, though the big change was it was one it was the previous season before now previous two seasons. MLB once again doing things to help the Mighty Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Oh no, uh, yeah, I guess if someone is out two seasons, that's pretty significant in and of itself. But yeah, the two way designation is incredibly helpful. You know, with the thirteen pitcher limit, the two way designation allows us to not count show as a pitcher, which in turn allows us to have flexibility with our starting rotation and still maintain an eight man bullpen. And that was part of our pitch to Rokie, and something that we believed very strongly was no team was better equipped to bring him along in the major leagues than we were because of Showy, and we have given starters extra rest in the past, and we've been pretty aggressive doing it. It's hard and there's a friction that comes with it, especially now with the five option limit in each in each season, there's friction that comes with it. You're sending guys down, you're clicking along those five options, You're disrupting things a lot. We had determined in the past what we felt like was some advantage or at least most cautious of pro which for player health was that and so therefore it was worth it. But it wasn't costless, and you know, it just required us to communicate our way through it a lot. But it can be a little clumsy. But with shoe Hey, you can have an eight man pen and so not put your relievers at risk, and you can have flexibility on the starting front. And so that for us with show Hay coming back from injury, with Yamamoto in his second year with Roki, you know, with other guys Dustin May and Tony Gonslin coming off injury. It just gives us some flexibility to read and react to what's going on and how guys are recovering, which we can't know as we're sitting here on February tenth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's it's crazy you name you say all these names. We we haven't even talked Tyler Glass now in that mix as well. It's insane the amount of talent that this this organization has been able to accrue. We'll say, over the last couple of off seasons. It's it's been a special time for Dodgers fans since Guggenheim took over, since you came aboard and started running this organization a little bit more legacy. And then obviously we have a lot of things to look forward about in twenty twenty five. But I want to go back to when the Dodgers and you guys acquired Mookie Bets and the extension. We had asked you at the time, Hey, when are you building the Andrew Friedman statue. There's a lot of fans I would love to see the Andrew Friedman statue out there. But when you look at what you've done since the Mookie Bets trade and that extension and in the decades since coming to LA again understatement to say, it's been impressive, but you're not done yet. If you were to summarize the point of all this, if you were to summarize your first ten years in LA here and looking forward, you know, in a few words, describing what the next ten years look like. How would you do that?
Speaker 1: I stink at looking back. I'm just not very good at it. And I've joked that when I get fired, I will be able to like look back and take stock on the things that we were able to accomplish as a group. But I'm not very good at it. I'm so focused looking ahead. And you know, I've talked about this some, but from a big picture standpoint, our goal is for when we look back on this period, for this to be considered the golden era of Dodger Baseball. And that, to me sets such an incredibly high bar that as long as we are striving for that and working towards that and trying to get better at everything we do, the you know, the more fulfilling and satisfying it is, you know, more success that will have, et cetera. So I think that captures it as succinctly as I can.
Speaker 3: All Right, I'm going to follow this one's for me.
Speaker 4: Then, if if there were to be an Andrew Friedman statue, would it be the robe?
Speaker 3: It's got to be the robe.
Speaker 1: I were like, maybe a desk that you like, maybe maybe?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the essentia bottle right there.
Speaker 3: We Yeah, I got you.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this because you did say Andrew that you're not good at looking back, and neither is Clayton Kershaw when I've asked him in the past. You know, can you appreciate what you've done? Obviously you're headed to Cooperstown, he said, No, I will at some point, is Kershaw? Obviously? I know that he wants to be a Dodger. I mean where do you where do you put him? And and do you do you legitimately see him coming back when he's healthy in you know, September October.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I think the one constant going back through my ten years obviously Kersh and the impact that he's had on the game, on the Dodgers. But the one constant has been, you know, us having fun arguments about when his return to play. He is so competitive and wants to be back the next day, and I am more cautious and want him back for a strong October run. But yeah, it's important to him to be a Dodger. It's important to us for him to be a Dodger. I've said this in the past. Things are just right in the world. When Clinton Kerschel is wearing a Dodger uniform. I will view it as a real failure on my part if he's not, and he deserves that, and you know, talk about a statue, that's a real statue.
Speaker 2: Maybe not with the not with the shirt off though celebrating. We're gonna go ahead and make sure he puts his jersey back on and give the.
Speaker 3: People what they want.
Speaker 4: Riz Come on, that's one guy you guys absolutely need back, and another guy too, I think complete that at what I said earlier, the Infinity Gauntlet is that Dave Roberts extension, which.
Speaker 3: We hear is in the works right now.
Speaker 4: Can you just talk about Dave and the growth that he has made as a manager. I don't know that anybody could have helped navigate the team with all the injuries and all the stress that happened this past postseason. I don't think anybody could have done it better than Dave Roberts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was phenomenal. And you know, it's funny people are like, oh, you know after the Padre series, like, oh, Dave finally managed a good postseason series, And there's just so much outcome around, so much of this, which I get, like it's the world we live in and but I don't think it was necessarily something where it's like he wasn't managing. I think he's always been a good manager, But like anyone that we work with are goals to get better every year. Like the people who don't have that growth mindset and are like, hey, I've got it figured out, those are not the people we want to work with. And so, you know, Dave has been really successful. He's of the mind to grow and learn and get better. You know, Like speaking for myself, I hope I'm better at my job a year from now than I am today. And so I think there's that natural kind of improvement that you know comes with the territory of someone who has that kind of growth mindset. So, you know, Doc has been a big part of our past success. He was a big part of our success lost October. But I don't think it was necessarily in a way that he wouldn't have done three or four or whatever years earlier. And you know, there's just so much outcome based narrative that comes that it's how to kind of sift through that a little bit. But yeah, we've you know, been through this a number of times with Doc and He's talked about how much he wants to be here, We've talked about how much we want on him here and have been successful looking back. It's just not something where I give any kind of play by play something. Whenever there's something to announce, whatever you know, we'll be sure and share it, all right.
Speaker 2: Andrew Friedman got me into the most exclusive restaurant in Tampa Bay when Morgan Wallen canceled his concert and I texted and I said, I have a night free. Can you get me to this restaurant? He did, So I'm going to ask you this, Can you get me two tickets to the Tokyo series because they're impossible with Otani Sasaki Yamamoto and him and auga. So let me know if you want your girl to come on the charter with you. Oh yeah, yeah, that's right. You know, if you want your girl to come on the charter with you, again, you let me know. Andrew, you are wonderful. Congratulations, you're not getting fired. You are the best at what you do. We appreciate you very much. Thanks for taking time to be with Clinton and I on Dodger's territory, my friend, of.
Speaker 1: Course, Thank you guys for having me on enjoyed it all.
Speaker 2: Right, Andrew Friedman, the best president of baseball ops for the Dodgers. Let's get to Leslick's.
Speaker 3: Let's do it.
Speaker 2: All right. Paisley, guys, she is so sweet. Look at that little side eye. She's a little flirt. So you know she'd be great if you're a single guy. I want to attract the ladies. Paisley could be your wingwoman. She is getting Spade tomorrow. She's a great gal. She's an Australian Shepherd mix. She's about one year old. She's fully vaccinated. She's working on potty training. She's doing really well with that. She's great on a leash. She's good with other pups. If you're interested, she's being fostered right now in Santa Clarita, California. Reach out to me or Clint or Gidry's guardian and adopter. She's available and she's wonderful. All right, Clint thought for the road. I love this. I can't wait until you and I can see it in person at camel Back Ranch. But look at this a new look for twenty twenty five. This is at Camelback Ranch, Dodgers Spring Training. I believe this was from the right, John su who who's already there all of the World Series championships obviously if you look at twenty and twenty four the two most recent. But that's awesome. I mean, this is they're always doing stuff to elevate the fan experience and I'm super psyched to see this in the flesh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they keep doing making improvements to Camelback Ranch.
Speaker 3: They understand one of the things.
Speaker 4: Andrew talked about there, it's not just about you know what we see at the immediate top of the organization.
Speaker 3: It's all the way to the very bottom.
Speaker 4: And it's something we've talked about a lot with people this offseason, you know, JJ Cooper Baseball America and I talked about it last week, Fobby and Ardaia as well. They invest in every aspect of this organization and doing something like that. Yeah, it's simple, but that's also I'm pretty sure on like a brand new building which helps with player growth development, all that kind of stuff. It's just a perfect, perfect organization. And I'm saying that slightly to if you do get those Tokyo tickets, I can be one of the tickets.
Speaker 2: Oh no, the two tickets is for you and I let's go, oh yeah, due, we gotta take you got to take international and uh and go to Tokyo and do it. We have to learn Japanese first though. Honestly, to Andrew Friedman, thank you so much for being here. That's huge, such great information. I love what he said about KIK, about the leadership stuff and the off season. You know, a little insight on kersh kind of what goes through a president of baseball operations mine. It's not easy. I don't envy the choices that they have to make, but do all of you listening and watching. Thanks for being with us. Clint and I are going to be back on Thursday for another live edition. We're going to try to get KIK on soon. Hopefully the Dodgers make it officials soon. Thanks for being with us. We appreciate you guys. We'll see on Thursday.
Speaker 3: Go bye,