Speaker 1: Hey, everyone, welcome back to Happy Hour. We have a very special guest on, none other than the man himself from Charity Season. Please welcome Aaron S to the podcast.
Speaker 2: Where's the confetti? Dude, no one really knows me. So when you say Aaron S, Welcome Aaron S to the podcast, I bet you half of Bachs nations like who that we're gonna?
Speaker 1: Well, well, yeah, I think I think after this episode everyone knows who you are.
Speaker 2: Maybe I would think.
Speaker 1: And you have a crazy story that we're gonna We're gonna get into all that. But before we do, how'd you get onto your fireman live? You live in San Diego?
Speaker 2: Yeah, live in San Diego, work in Oakland. I've been getting Greek for that lately, Guys like, don't you're not representing the city. I work in Oakland. I work for the city of Oakland.
Speaker 1: Oh oh wait, you're you're you're a firefighter in Oakland, but you live in San Diego. Yeah, how do you make that work?
Speaker 2: It's called the super commute, baby. Yeah. It's a way for me to completely separate work from life, and in my line of work and the mental capacity it takes to do what we do. For me that complete separation is exactly what I needed. So San Diego is my safe place. And then when I go to work, I do my work at Oakland.
Speaker 1: Are you Are you like on one day off too? Do you have the that schedule or is it different?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so every department varies. My fire department is a forty eight ninety six, so we're on for two straight days, twenty four hour shifts back to back, and then we get four days off. But supercommuters like myself, we'll stack our shifts like we'll trade. So I'll work my regular two days and then work someone else's two days, and then I get eight days off consecutively.
Speaker 1: Got it? That makes it make more sense. Where are you from.
Speaker 2: I'm from the Bay Area, born and rased Fremont, California. Shout out to my Freemont friends out there.
Speaker 1: Nice. Yeah, how'd you get on Charity Season?
Speaker 2: How the hell? You know what? This is a crazy story, Joe. I'm so happy I'm sharing it with you, of all people coaching star job, I mean, your first ballot, Bachelor Hall of Famer dude. So before I got onto the Bachelorette Man, I was casted for Joe Millionaire.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah they did. Yeah, I didn't watch it, but I know they remade that chant.
Speaker 2: It was a Fox revamp. They were trying to rival the Bachelor and Bachelorette from ABC. And you already got star studied cast like yourself and Serena. I hope she's all right, man. I heard she's not doing well. Yeah, yeah, yeah, talk about poop babies. But yeah, man, I was casted for that show as the non millionaire boy, and girls were going to fall in love with me for who I was. And I was going through a pivotal time in my fire career where I wanted more out of my career. I thought I had the ability to reach out and help out a larger community and Oakland was number one on my list since I was twenty three years old, and I'd interviewed for them and they gave me a job offer. The day a Fox called me and said you got the spot as the non millionaire guy, and so I turned it down, went to academy and latter worled over to Oakland and I'm at the airport one day and ABC calls me and they're like, hey, are you interested in you know, maybe coming on the Bachelorette and I'm like, wait, this is coming out of nowhere. Get I hadn't watched this show in years. I may have watched your season, and I'm just saying that because you're right in front of me.
Speaker 1: I probably don't I appreciate it. Yeah that's all you had to say?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that was a white life. I shouldn't even have done that. Well, I watched tidbits right, Yeah, and you know I didn't really have any interest. I'm thirty four years old, and I do. I do want to shout out to one of the Reddit people that said that I look like I'm from the Nixon era. I'm way too old for this shit. Okay, thirty four years old, I get a call from AYBC. They say, hey, are you interested? Of course I'm interested, But who the hell nominated me or put my name in the man And it was my sister and her husband who had sent in all my information. And I'm one to create memories. If there's an opportunity to possibly find love, possibly make some lifelong friends, and possibly get to show you my personality, I'm going to do that hands down every time. And so I said yes, and you know, it was within like three or four weeks, you're living this normal life and then you're in the middle of thirty forty cameras and.
Speaker 1: You were able to and there was no issues with the Oakland Fire Department. You were able to stay on and keep the job that you want and everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a whole nother mix because you know, being in the fire service, we have one of the only careers that you don't need to know us, but we've been respected for over one hundred years. We're probably the only entity in the United States that could literally walk into a stranger's home and instantly you're not judgmentally know that we're there to do good. And so I had I was I was stressed out about it. Man. I actually talk to my captain about this because we have an image to uphold and I don't know much about reality TV. I don't know anything about it actually, and so I didn't know, you know, what if they edited me this way, what if they edit me that way? And so it was a conversation I had with a captain of mine, and then it went up the ranks to our fire chief at the time, and then went to our legal team, and you know, me going on the Bachelorette was hinged on them saying yes or no, and they say, as long as you act yourself, you know, people are gonna hate you. There are people that hate me. But yeah, I would say majority doesn't hate me.
Speaker 1: Joe, No, I don't. I don't think you right now, at least you are not a hated character on this show. Well right now, I'm in a You're good, You're good? What you're thirty?
Speaker 2: Four? Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Have you had any serious relationships before this show? What was dating?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Why are you single?
Speaker 2: Yeah? You want the baby? Will give you the basic answers. Yeah, yeah. I have worked my tail off from the time I was thirteen years old up until now. What people don't know about me was I was a ranch kid before I became a firefighter. I had my own ranching business. I managed cattle ranches, I had two horses of my own. I taught little kids horseback riding lessons, I trained horses, had a major barb wire fencing company, and all I knew was blue collar work. You know, when my friends were out partying and going to high school things, I was working at the ranch till dark and get my homework done on the weekdays to go straight to the ranch and work till dark. And that upbringing, you know, brought me to the man I am today and taught me some morals and values that are invaluable. And you know, as I've become to be this like thirty four year old man with this bushy beard, I've become picky because I've worked really hard to get to where I am. I feel like I'm financially stable. I've got a great career, and I love my family. I'm super tight with them. I've got a great friend group, and you know, the last thing I want is to bring my partner into something where they're not going to add to that. And you know, that's become harder and harder as I get older, is to find a partner that I that I truly think adds to my family and adds to my friend group and adds to me as much as I add to their family, their friend group and them. And so yeah, that's why I'm single going into the bat That's why I was single going into the Bachelorette, And that's why I was single going into Bachelor in Paradise. Got it because your boys a little picky.
Speaker 1: Got it? Okay, that's no wrong with that. I in those long hours. I used to I used to work in the produce market, so I would start at I'd wake up at like one point thirty two am and work ten twelve hour days. So I do get that. It's it's hard to have a social life when when you have those crazy.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, hold on one second, Joe, hold on. Apparently lights shut off in the bunker room. There we go. No, I, I actually you're you're in my story are actually a little oddly similar.
Speaker 1: My uh.
Speaker 2: I worked for my grandfather for a while, you know, a standard five and dime like a Ace hardware, and so you know, at a young age, I would always go there on the weekends and stock shelves. So all those produce guys out there, kudos. Do you do the Lord's work. You gotta the world's gotta eat.
Speaker 1: Man, world's world needs produce. So okay, So I was I was at it was Charities after after the Rowse show, and I saw Braided in the hallway and he's like, hey, bro, if you ever get down, if you get down to San Diego, Aaron S and I are doing a fishing trip, you should come and I'm like, well, I just that's just not that's not gonna align with what I have going on. But I appreciate. I appreciate the end.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then I want to say, maybe, like a month or two months ago, I see a clip of two bachelor guys almost drown in a f fishing trip, and it's Branden and Aaron s Yeah, what fuck happened? Yeah?
Speaker 2: What the fuck happened? Is right? Man? And and would you expect none other than Braiden and Aarones to sink about together? The answer is no, you clearly don't know Brandon and me. Well enough Braiden and I for those vocabulary freaks out there, But yeah, I've owned boats my whole life. I've been around ski boats. My family has a ski boat, and my dream since I was a kid was to own my own boat. My grandfather used to take me fishing to Alaska every year. That was the path to manhood in his eyes, in our family. And you know, for ten straight years I'd go to Alaska with him, Craig Alaska, to this lodge called King Fisher Lodge, and we literally fish for a week off the grid with a guy who built this lodge on his property, and it was a dream of mine doing a fishing boat. And I love the ocean. There's one thing anyone needs to know about me. I love the ocean. It's the most humbling thing nature can throw at you. And there's nothing more than I want than to either surf or be on top of the water. And so after you know, thirty four years, finally I get the money to buy this boat. I am stoked by the way about buying this boat. Talking to this guy, Braiden and I are going surfing in Orange County and I'm like, you know what, Braiden, I've been texting this guy on Craiglist about this boat. You want to go look at it with me? It'sim Fullerton. He's like, oh man, yeah, let's let's go look at it. Anytime you make a stupid decision, ninety percent of the time that stupid decision is pushed on you by a friend, right, Or you're going to make that decision because a friend is with you. Yeah, when you're by yourself, you're probably gonna walk away, just like a car when you go buy a new car.
Speaker 1: I think, do you think you would have walked away if Braiden was like, nah, bro, I'm out, I can't do it.
Speaker 2: Hell no, I'm not putting that on Braidon. Braid didn't buy this boat. But he's like my hype man, so of course it'll be like yeah, fuck yut, let's get this boat. We see it. This thing is beautiful. Pay for a whole inspection guy charges me five hundred bucks inspecs. The boat sends me a ten page report. All systems, ago, whole engine, bait tank, Everything on this boat is right perfect, ready to go. I bring it home. I start noticing little things on it that aren't working. The trailer's broken. I fix the trailer. The stabilizer flaps break the first time I take it out. I call a mechanic. I get that fixed. And these are all little orange flags right that start adding up. But in your stokedness, you kind of overlook some of those orange flags and you go, well, you know what, like I fix these things. You know now that this is fixed, then nothing else is going to break. Mind you, this boat is all It's from the seventies, and the gentleman who I bought it from it told me that he had redone it in his driveway. Fiberglass gel coat and stringers. Stringers are the backbone of a boat. Those are the ones that run down the spine. There's usually two of them that run down the spine of a boat, down the hole. And so, yeah, this is the crazy. If I would have brought this is the thing that kills me. If I would have brought my dad on this boat, I would have killed him that day. And so I joke around with these guys and I say, like, this was bound to happen. This boat was going to sink at some point, and I am so thankful that I sunk it with Braiden, my buddy Gavin, who's another firefighter, Braiden's dad, and Braiden's uncle. If I would have sunk it with anyone else, anyone else on this planet, one of us would not have come home. Okay is that crazy? Oh?
Speaker 1: Okay, So how far out are you and how does it sake?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this is crazy. We're seventeen miles off shore, which you might as well take a spaceship to Pluto. There's no one out there. It's just us and everything's going fine. Man, we're having fun. We're being guys. We're peeing off the boat, jumping off the swim deck for people that fish or don't know how to fish. When you're going for dorado or tuna, yellow tel tuna or yellowfin tuna, you're looking for boilers in the water. So we get to a certain GPS waypoint, which is seventeen miles off shore. Everything's fine, and you're looking for kel patties or a bunch of boils in the water, and so we find Akelt Patty. We stop throwing throwing bait. At this point, I realized no one on the boat knows how to fish. So now I am a charter captain. My name is Aarones. I'm the charter guy. I'm here to make sure everyone's having a good time. So I'm baiting everyone's lines for them. We're throwing them to the kelt patties. First, kel Patty's empty. We're about three hours into this journey. Three and a half hours go by. We're at the second CLT Patty. Same thing, no fish bait, everyone's line for them. We reel up the lines. I looked at the ocean report. It said the wind was going to pick up at eleven. So I told the guy's next kel patty or boiler spot that we find like we're out of here. We're gonna fish it for a little bit. We're gonna turn around and bounce. We were lucky the sea was super calm that day. There was a wind swell, but the ocean's gonna have swell no matter what day you're there. And so the boats off were drifting next to the third kelt. Patty and my buddy hooks onto a dorado. Everyone goes to the front of the boat. My buddy lets the line go under the boat and then the fish runs around the prop. The boat's off. It's not a big deal. Why you have an outboard motor on a boat so you could bring the prop up if you get stuck in kelp or if a line gets crossed, you can lift the prop up off the back of the boat on tangle line, dropped the prop back down. You're good to go. Mind you this. I'm going to tell you this. But before I tell you this, three of the guys on that boat had stepped on the back of the swim deck while the boat was off. Prior to this event happening. All the guys on the front of the boat, Gavin has his line. I'd tell Gavin my buddy, Gavin, I said, let your line out. Everything's fine. I'm gonna lift the prop up, untangle your line. You're gonna real this fishion. Then we're gonna head home. Prop comes up, Gavin lets his line out. All systems a go until I step on the swim deck. The moment I step on the swim deck, the boat is completely underwater. In fifteen seconds gone. We don't have time to radio, we don't have time to get our phones, we don't have time for anything. And it is so unlike me to give a safety briefing for any of the activities that I do. That's just my nature. But I, for some weird reason, I had given them a safety briefing before they got on the boat. I showed them exactly where we were going, so some of them had texted their wives or family, like, hey, we're going out to this point. I showed them where the life jackets were, every little safety piece of that boat, where the radio was. It was on channel sixteen for the Coastguard. And luckily, Branden's dad, who won MVP of that entire experience, was listening to this absolutely abysmal safety briefing that I'd given the guys and remembered where the life jackets were, so he dove down and opened up the hatch. And really, those life jackets are what saved us, because all of a sudden you have, let me put this into perspective, you are having the time of your life with your closest friends, sharing an experience together that none of us really get. One moment. You're having that experience. In the next moment, Dude, you're floating in the deep blue three hundred feet I mean we're in.
Speaker 1: The treading water, seventeen miles.
Speaker 2: From offshore, no land in sight, no boat in sight, and it's three hundred feet deep and it was the the ocean. I'll tell you this. I'm a water dog, right, I was in some lessons as a kid, champion breaststroke artist. Here surf all the time, but the deep, deep ocean wants you underneath, so it pulls you in a way that I've never been pulled before. So just getting your life jacket on with all your like, let's start this over. Boat sinks, life jackets get thrown out the boat. Yeah, Braiden's tangled in fishing line, the fishing lines pulling him under with the boat his Dad runs, swims over to him, cuts the line off of Braiden. Braiden comes back up. We all strip our clothes off to our chonies, except for me. I kept my viory sweats on because they're hell expensive, and we put our life jackets on. But in that time, man, anytime that you weren't in a life jacket, it just felt like the water was sucking you underneath. Yeah, and what a help was feeling, right? Right?
Speaker 1: So you guys have your life Let's get to the point. You guys have your life jackets on. What's the conversation like what? Because yeah, what's the conversation?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's it's fight or flight. That the boat had two firefighters on it. Brandon was military, Dad was military. Uncle is a dispatcher for fire authority in Orange County, Right, so all of us come from a first responder background.
Speaker 1: Is everybody in physical like physical shape.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say great physical shape, but you know, when you when I say we were in the water for three and a half hours, it becomes a mind game. Yeah, and he who wins will last. And if there's anything that you need to know about situations like that is fear's cancer. And so the moment fears spread, you know, that's when bad decisions are made. So to be honest with you, man, it was floating out there was scary, but the moment we all accepted that it might be the end for all of us, it was such a light tone. There were jokes being said, there was some laughter. We nicknamed the white cooler that we all held onto Wilson from Castaway. And you know, why die scared when you could die with your closest friends happy and laughing, you know. But I'll tell you one thing, man, I have huge guilt from the experience, right because you invite me to go do something that I'm not used to. I'm going to put my life on the fact that you know what you're doing and you're going to keep me safe. Right where I brought four of my friends, closest friends onto the boat with me, and it sinks and puts their lives in jeopardy. And so I got a lot of guilt because of it. That will never leave. That's something that always carry with me. But I still got them. You know. That's that's good.
Speaker 1: That that that that that's so scared. That's just a crazy, crazy, scary story. How so, how did you get saved? You're out there for how long? Three and a half hours treading water?
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. First hour and a half it was shock right. Yeah, we always have these bad dreams. We wake up for them, right, You're sleeping. All of a sudden, you feel his stud in your chest, right, and you wake up before the plane crafts or you fall off a building, before you hit the ground. You always feel the stud in your chest and you wake up. And so the whole top. For an hour and a half, I am believing that this is a shit dream, like this has got to be a bad, bad dream, and I'm just not waking up for some reason. And then I started dealing with some real ash shit, like I started shivering, bad, bad, bad, and then I started cramping up because all I had was coffee in the morning. And then I knew at that point, hour and a half into it, my time card got punched. And that's when that's when the realization of things being real really hit me. And you know, we we were all really in a survival mode for three and a half hours, and it was anything and everything we could do to stay warm. We all linked arms. The water was sixty eight degrees. Sixty nine degrees doesn't sound cold to you. No, it's cold listening to that. But you know what, are our bodies run at, Joe, like ninety seven something or ninety eight That cold water stuck in the heat right out of your body. And so we're linking arms to stay warm and staying close to stay warm. And you know it. It was only until a boat magically appeared at a kelt patty a mile away where my boat initially sank. They fished that same clt patty and came up empty, and one of the guys on that boat had binoculars and saw something shining in the water. And all we think is he was either the cooler or a belt, because we strapped belts to this cooler so people could link their arms in there. And he had mentioned to the guy driving the boat, like, hey, this is weird. There's something in the water, Like, let's go check this out. And so if they were going to turn around and go home, if they would have turned around and went home, you and I were not having this fun conversation, right, But the fact that they drove to what they thought was a debris like a debris field in the water is the only reason I am right here. That's the only reason three and a half hours. Man, I've maybe had two hours left before, you know, something like.
Speaker 3: Health wise happened or god forbid the man in the gray suit. There are some massive gray white sharks out there, huge for like submarines out there that could just swallow you whole.
Speaker 2: So there's so much going through your head when you're out there. But I always remember getting in that boat and just feeling this immense feeling of gratitude and thankfulness, and it definitely changed my perspective on life. Yeah, oh completely. I mean we joke around like, what's the craziest thing that's ever happened to you? I mean, has anyone? A majority of people in this world have not had a true life or death scenario, right, And I've been unfortunate enough to have that at work, but not to this magnitude. At work, I can get out of situations that are life or death through training, right. I rely on my training and maybe the guy's behind me on my crew. But when you're in a situation like that, helpless with no help coming, no cell phones, no radio, no nothing, it's a whole new mindset. It's a whole new mindset, and so that definitely reset some of the things that I'm going to do going forward and reset some of the things that I do. When it comes to you know, family and friends, we overlook a lot of things. We take things for granted. Life is really just an unstable deck of cards that we expect to be upright every time we wake up. When one of those cards falls, you know, your entire stack at fall. And we take that for granted all the time. So like just the little things Joe, like waking up in the morning and sitting on my porch and watching the sun come up. I take that shit for granted. Why because the sun comes up every day morning? Yeah, you know, but what if one day it's gonna happen to us, right? Life is life is life. We both know that you get at some point your time card is gonna get punched, right, And up until that point, you take all this stuff for granted. And it's only until you have this crazy scare that you start, you know, really truly appreciating the little things, man, just the heat and the sand, or the waves crashing or it's just it's wild.
Speaker 1: I've been doing this podcast for for a long time. That that is the craziest story I've ever heard. That's that's that's that's insane. I can't imagine. Well, I'm really happy you guys are alive. That's fucking nuts. Yeah, you you and Branden have to like, you guys are now bonded for for life. I would think so.
Speaker 2: Braiden and I were bonded before this shit even happened. We became best friends right off the bachelorette. The day he came home, we became brothers. And yeah, I mean, if anything, this is another one one of those those pages and you know our book of friendship that binds our book even tighter than it already is. Yeah, this is you know, the one thing I'm thankful for is I didn't really know Bradon's family that well. And I can tell you right now and now after this event, I am his person, bro, Like I was just at I was just at a winery with his aunt and his mom, and I'm they literally call me their adopted son. So you know, there's there's always a silver lining to something that's that's kind of dark and scary. You just gotta let that door open for you, right and see what happens.
Speaker 1: I was not expected this is this was intense. I thought that I I w I when I watched this clip, I was like, that's insane. But like really hearing it from your perspective and from the person that was there, it's just that's wow. Wow.
Speaker 2: Like, let me ask you this, dude, Let me ask you this. And I know you're the question asker, but give me, give me at least one you. Have you ever in your life accepted death?
Speaker 1: Probably, Like I mean, I accepted the fact that I'm eventually going to die. But have I ever had no Probably? No, I would say no.
Speaker 2: And I'm trying to walk you through my emotions on you know that time period when we were in the water, because at that time, two and a half hours in with nothing in sight and no phone, no way to reach anybody, no land. I mean literally we're bobbing up and down these waves.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Life like just fucking lifeless, dude, just waiting for the inevitable. Right is if you let me ask you this, if you died today, if you accepted death and you died today at your age, would there be any regret, any regret whatsoever? Like I could have done more up until this point or I have so much more to give, I have so much more to do, I have so much more for the world to see.
Speaker 1: And I'm asking this, Yeah, I would say, I would say, I would say yes. I would say I would say yes to that. Yeah, I would say, There's a lot of things I could be better at, so it should probably work on those before I'm floating in the middle of the ocean. Well, big Joel.
Speaker 2: What I'm trying to say is life is one crazy book, right, And I get I'm fortunate or not fortunate enough to see a lot of death in my career. And the one thing that always gets me, man, it makes me feel super sad is when someone's on their deathbed and I'm right there next to them and they have regrets on what they could have or should have done in their lives. And so, if this story can tell you anything, we're lucky to be alive. We are. But any opportunity that you take to push yourself to learn something new, or if there's a certain thing that you haven't tried, you want to try try it because you never know when your book closes on you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I think that's that's that's great. Advice, Joe. Yeah, but it's great. This this, this is this is really uh this is the this was really good. At least this was great. I mean insane. I'm not even speaking right, I'm not even making words.
Speaker 2: I mean, you're not even crying. What are you doing over there?
Speaker 1: You can't figure out your fucking light.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to impress the audience here, I'm in a really nice bunker to make me look like something I'm not.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, we have to we have to jump the paradise real quick. Before we do, I want to ask a real quick question. Answer it as quick as you could. The guy that inspected, inspector who inspected the boat. Is he to blame it all for any of this? No, okay, I just didn't know.
Speaker 2: It was like no, no, no, no, no. This is all bunch of orange.
Speaker 1: Flag freak in a freak accident.
Speaker 2: No one's at fault for anything. Man it We're lucky to be alive.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I just I don't know like boat lingo, and I'm not really you know, so I'm just curious.
Speaker 2: When you're not a Joe, you're not a botologist.
Speaker 1: I'm not a botologist, never have no it never will be. And after the story, I will never go on a fishing trip. I'm glad I live in a city. All right, Uh, let's jump to paradise a little bit. First thing I want to talk about is the most I think the most we've seen of Aaron s up until this episode has really been the little bit of beef that we saw with you and Pete, and we all saw the FP thing and that was weird. And now we kind of see why you guys don't really like each other at the mental hall. We saw it at the mental all So, I don't know, could you just dive into that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? There. I have a rule. There's a there's a rule that I go by. It's the free rule. There's three things that if you cross me, I'm a put you in the ground. You cross my family, you cross my friends, or you cross me and family is you know the girl I'm dating too, I consider them family. And Pete head straight up crossed me at the beach and I, whether you like me or not, I am very blunt. I will not hide from my emotions. I will tell you like it is. And words were exchanged, and he said what he said about me to Sam and I don't stand for that kind of shit. If you have something to say, stay for my face. And so we had a little bit of a heated exchange and I don't really know if he's ever had someone talk to him like that. And obviously that boiled over in the mentel all because no one really knew knew what had happened on the beach up until that point. Right, So, now that everyone's seen it, I think people are starting to understand why there was beef between Peter and I. But I'll tell you this, like, now you know, Peter and I don't have any beef, Like we've squashed it, forgive and forget.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we had talked about it, talked about why I had said the things that I had said, and yeah, I got no bad blood for I'm not going to hang out with him on my days off, but I'm not going to shake his hand and give him a hug when I see him and ask him how he's doing.
Speaker 1: Well, that's good, and that's I'd like that. You guys are are cool now and that so far, that was one of the most genuine scenes I've seen on Paradise yet because it was it was an off the cough moment and I could just tell you were like, I don't care, this is who I am. We're going to have this conversation right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean sick. Sam and I on the beach so far have one of the strongest connections and it's just not hasn't been filmed or he shows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's talk about that because we're really we're really not seeing you guys. So and this is the most scene as all the poop baby shit. But yeah, yeah, how like what's going on there?
Speaker 2: I mean, I'll tell you this, dude, Like, there's literally no drama. And I'm my partner in life, whether it's on reality TV, on Paradise, and mind you, I didn't know how Paradise worked until maybe two or three weeks before when I watched the season prior and I went, holy shit, show like this is insane. And as a partner, as a man, I want my partner to feel safe, and by feeling safe, I want to make my intentions very prevalent for that person so they don't have any anxiety leading up to anything, you know, day one. Sam is probably the most ripped girl on that beach. Her and I both come from San Diego.
Speaker 1: We shared that from from from not being able to go to the bathroom for ten days or whatever it is. She's she's got a six pack. She's not even blowed it, Like, yeah she is.
Speaker 2: I can't say enough great things about Sam. She is such an amazing woman. She's beautiful, she's so driven and talented, and we instantly hit it off day one, and I wasn't expecting that. I I came on the beach with thinking that I wanted to explore my cowboy days with Brooklyn and in walk Sam and her and I really really bonded and it was just this really easy going, free flowing conversation from the moment she walked on to that beach until now. So you know, we we had talked and I said, hey, like, I don't want you. She left day one of Clayton season right night one. Yeah, I just wanted her experience on Bachelor in Paradise to be different, Like, let's get to know each other, Let's have fun. We have an entire month here to get to know one another before we both go back to San Diego. Let's build this solid like foundation together. We worked out every morning, and you know, things are going great, right now?
Speaker 1: You know, do you think do you think if she lived let's say she lived in New York, do you think you there would have been more pressure for you to speed things up?
Speaker 2: No, just because I think the ease of access of the accessibility of travel is so readily there at your fingertips that I'm I feel like that brings out more of an anxious attachment style to where you want something. Now, I truly believe some of the best things are ones that you have to work for and take your time in. But Paradise is a unique place. You have no outside you know this, right, I mean there's no outside influences. Uh, your your match or your your your connection is is there for just you and to get to know just you until the next guy or girl arrives, right, And maybe there's some be but it's it's an atmosphere that you're never gonna get ever again, right, unless you go back to Paradise.
Speaker 1: Are you guys at this point from what we've seen, are you guys exclusive? If if anyone else walks down, have you guys had that conversation?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And we we showed Hannah coming down to the beach and she had pulled Braydon and I and she'd asked me point blank are you happy? Like are you? Are you up for a date? And I just straight up told her like I'm right now, I'm stoked with Sam. Yeah, And the answer is no, Like I'm probably would say no to a date at this point. I mean, it would do it would It would do us an injustice by only knowing her for three or four days to go on another date when we've had like a foundation built that no one really saw yet.
Speaker 1: I'm with you, but there's a lot of people that and I I personally think that's that's the right way to do paradise if if you do feel something with someone, But a lot of people don't follow that playbook. As we see, are you so Sam? She hasn't She hasn't been able to go to the bathroom for ten days. But all you know, and there's some lightheartedness and some jokes about it, but in all seriousness, she may have to go home. And that's pretty much what she's telling you. What's going through your mind? You know, she goes home? Are you going home? If she goes home? Women have the roses what happens?
Speaker 2: Like what yeah, in my mind. You know, the first thing that came up was a dad joke like what a shit situation? Obviously, and you know, after Sam had mentioned she may be going home, I thought, you know, I there's no one else on this beach that I can't fake shit.
Speaker 1: Dude, all right, well, let's gonna stop you. I'm gonna stop you right there because we just don't know. Let's we have to wait and see how this all be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's just wait to see how this winds up.
Speaker 1: Just just from that. Let's let's wait because I actually I don't know, and I and I and I do really want to know. And if you keep talking, I'll probably be able to figure it out. Did did any of you guys? Because when the guys, So, the guys have the roses first week, so you have the power, right to.
Speaker 2: Joe, do you guys really have power in this world? The answer is fucking know him run this ship. So, yeah, we had the opportunity to give the girls a chance to break our hearts. Yes, you're right.
Speaker 1: Do any of you guys have a conversation? Uh? Do do you guys have the conversation?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Are are any of you worried that maybe any of these girls are just trying to get a roast first week? Is that something you're cautious of or you're just not even like playing that game?
Speaker 2: Dude? I at this point I got my blinders on, right because I I think I found love. So no, I didn't expect that at least, But then again, you only have a certain amount of days for trying to get to know everyone, and I don't really know everyone's true full intentions. Yeah, so no, I didn't really think there's any tom fullery going on, but come to find out there was.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, we're gonna play. We're gonna play a light hearted game. Who real quick, who are right now on the beach? Just because I want to know who are your guys?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Who who are your guys in the beach that you're the closest with?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Who do you who? Uh? I mean obviously Braiden's Braid's my duties? What Joe, here we go, here we go, these damn lights. You know, I'm trying to be cool, I would say so Braiden. Braiden is my number one. Sean's my guy.
Speaker 1: I like Sean, Shawn's funny and Blake.
Speaker 2: You know what, Blake is hilarious, absolutely hilarious. He's he reminds me of a of a of Wells, but in a mine form. Like he just doesn't talk, you know, because you need. If you're stressed out, you just lay next to him. You won't say word to you, but you just lay next to him and you feel comforted. For some weird.
Speaker 1: Reason, He's always doing uh a safari or his wildlife. You guys modernate, You guys wind up being all on the trip together. I could see that. All right, let's jump in. Let's play this. Let's play this game real quick, and I'll.
Speaker 2: Let you go.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, rapid fire, first thing that comes your head. None of it matters anyway, So let's get it. Are you more of an introvert or extrovert?
Speaker 2: Extrovert?
Speaker 1: What would be your go to.
Speaker 2: Paradise cocktail, skinny margarita?
Speaker 1: What is the first thing you buy if you won the lottery?
Speaker 2: The house? For damn, that was the first thing that came up. That's a hard question, dude. I would make sure my entire circle of friends and family had all their houses paid for.
Speaker 1: What is your go to pump up song?
Speaker 2: Poof Lil Wayne steady mobins.
Speaker 1: What is one item on your bucket list?
Speaker 2: Bull riding? I'm doing that Thursday with Branden.
Speaker 1: Do you have you and Braden need to stop doing activities crazy? Do you have any deal Do you have any dating deal breakers?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Multiple cats, nineties choker chains, and you're not in therapy.
Speaker 1: What is your love language?
Speaker 2: Love language? Man? I am quality time.
Speaker 1: What is the first concert you ever attended?
Speaker 2: Oh, this is Jesus. It would be Toby Keith at Shoreline Amphitheater in nom View.
Speaker 1: What is your favorite dessert? What is the What is an important item to pack for Paradise?
Speaker 2: Wow? Clip loops? That sand is pot as hell? It is.
Speaker 1: What is one word to describe the rest of the season of Paradise?
Speaker 2: I mean, come on, dude, you just hand that's me on a silver platter. Bananas?
Speaker 1: All right? You know what you had me at? Frozen yogurt, Aaron, because I also love frozen yogurt. Thank you so much for doing this podcast. Really appreciate it. Thank you to everyone for tuning in, and remember all new episodes of Paradise here every Thursday on ABC at nine to eight Central following The Golden Bachelor, or you can stream It stream them both the next day on Hulu, and make sure to tune into new episodes of Butchler Happy Hour every week. We're going to have some great guests on. We have all kinds of exclusive interviews. You don't want to miss them. Don't forget to subscribe. Thank you everyone, Aaron, thank you It will see you everyone next time.
Speaker 2: Thanks Joe