Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys. This is mick Shots, streaming live on dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys have now Here are Bill Jones, Savannah Humoller, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 3: And it is time for a Tuesday edition of Micshots. It's a playoff edition, yes edition, that's right. And it's also a playoff preview edition because you know who's next on the horizon for your Dallas Cowboys. That would be though San Francisco forty nine. You're ready to kick off Niners week a day or early.
Speaker 4: Sure, nobody scared? Ain't nobody scared? That's all I want say.
Speaker 3: Ain't ain't nobody? Ain't nobody here scared? Not being scared?
Speaker 5: There black day or what what's the deal here?
Speaker 3: I didn't nobody tested me.
Speaker 5: That's because she was out modeling.
Speaker 6: By the way, Oh nice.
Speaker 7: I was a product in the pro shops, little backpack.
Speaker 3: So you're making appearances in the pro shop.
Speaker 7: I may very well be Bell.
Speaker 8: We'll see.
Speaker 5: All right, it's nice, this is nice a photographer and all, Oh yeah, dang, you have your own personal photographer.
Speaker 7: That would be someone from.
Speaker 3: Okay, we do need to tell people where they can see you on television.
Speaker 7: They can see me on Cowboys Flashbacks. So that actually aired last night on Bally Sports Southwest. It will air throughout the week a few times, not exactly sure the specific timing, but every Monday night Valley Sports Southwest it will air. It's my game recap show from from everything. So I shot yesterday and okay, it was a great report.
Speaker 5: It was very good. It was It's on YouTube too.
Speaker 3: Oh, there you go. It's easily accessible, and so Everson is going to be distracted half hour, it's a half.
Speaker 6: It is.
Speaker 3: It's on YouTube. He picked up the phone to go find the Dallas Cowboys YouTube channel and the flashback Cowboys flashback. All right, anybody watch any Monday night football last night?
Speaker 5: I sure did you enjoy that? I finally gave up with about three minutes to go. It was a slaughter. It was eleven Sacks harkened back to and Troyman talks about.
Speaker 6: Is that what he was laughing about? You know what they were laughing about?
Speaker 3: That said that he said I got sacked eleven times in the game, once by the Philadelphia. But this looks worse. This is worse than what I remember.
Speaker 5: I mean, these were violent sacks that Daniel Jones. If I was Daniel Jones, I'd have left off the well.
Speaker 4: I mean, you guys with Troy, why would you keep someone in there that long.
Speaker 3: Even with without helping him? Yeah, helping helping the offensive line. That was the worst part.
Speaker 5: It's like, okay, you are down what two starters on the offensive the Giants, and you didn't You didn't compensate for those losses by how you played offense. It was like, all right, next man up right, yeah, Well, back man down.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: By the way, the other team was down two offensive starters, both tackles, and then they also lost their starting left guard during the game. Seahawks were down three offensive linemen for much of that.
Speaker 5: Game, and they managed. They did they The Giants didn't change, you.
Speaker 3: Know, how they managed. It was the offensive approach that they took and the approach they took to the entire game. They knew and they've known for several weeks. They've been without both their tackles, the second year guys, first rounder last year and a second rounder last year, and these two guys that are filling in, by the way. So we bring it back to the Cowboys. They were brought to Seattle by Mike Celari, the Cowboys offensive line coach. One was an undrafted guy two years ago and the other one, I think is a fifth rounder stone forward size.
Speaker 5: So there's hope for Brock k Hoffman and TJ.
Speaker 6: Bass. There you go.
Speaker 3: And if you look at the track record of the Seahawks drafting offensive lineman with top one hundred picks, they don't do it often, and they did it the year that Solari left. They didn't drafted.
Speaker 4: Who's the backup quarterback for the Giants?
Speaker 6: I mean, because they won't put him in Taylor.
Speaker 3: They did Tyron Taylor.
Speaker 6: They finally did the Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Yes, two snaps, but you make it like that.
Speaker 6: Oh see they did. No, no, no, he did, but they didn't.
Speaker 4: That was they just accidentally put him in the last two players or something. My thing is this, you knew that game was done and you have a quarterback out there. You paid him a lot of money. Now either you get rid of him or you get him hurt.
Speaker 3: They did the same thing as Cowboys.
Speaker 6: But yes, the same thing as the Cowboys.
Speaker 5: In the fourth quarter. They had him running quarterback.
Speaker 6: Yes they did, Yes, they did.
Speaker 5: They were here, you have the ball.
Speaker 6: They were sitting there like, yeah, all right, this is our change up.
Speaker 5: All right, this is what they're going to wait to the end of the game to try to throw a wide receiver pass. And he got sacked.
Speaker 6: Oh no, that's bad. Even the eleven.
Speaker 3: So Paris Campbell was their backup quarterback and so they didn't know Barkley. They haven't had Barkley a couple of games.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: Jones was their leading rusher ten carries sixty six yards.
Speaker 4: So you know.
Speaker 5: The funniest shot, the funniest shot of the night when they showed all the traffic leavings like it was in the third quarter.
Speaker 4: Right, No, No, the funniest part was when they had the iPad and and he was he threw it. Yes, he's like stupid man, that was just that was so good. He's like, come on, man, did not just show you this?
Speaker 6: And he like he just throws it at the other coach. The other coach know what?
Speaker 5: That was the interception for a touchdown, which, by the way, that corner is pretty good.
Speaker 6: Yes he is. He led the league last year.
Speaker 3: He's a rookie first round pick.
Speaker 6: Well, who was that? They said, someone let.
Speaker 5: The league weatherspoon. Yeah out of Illinois. Okay, yeah, I'm a fifth pick in the draft.
Speaker 6: Six feet four.
Speaker 5: But the wide receiver sold them out. He threw where he thought the guy was and then he breaks into double coverage right and it goes right to the corner.
Speaker 3: Six four. They drafted last year, a fifth round.
Speaker 4: What they what they did was according to r g RG three, he did not allow the play to develop.
Speaker 6: It was made for Waller in the back of the end.
Speaker 4: Zone, So you at least have to let that develop first before you decide to throw it there. We've seen it all the time with Dak If he's not open, then there's the check that it's not a checkdown, but it's the shorter route.
Speaker 6: You go for the corner, and so you have two levels.
Speaker 4: He did not let that level develop and he immediately threw it to this guy, which he wasn't ready.
Speaker 3: For it.
Speaker 6: Hand. That's what he said exactly.
Speaker 5: So we had so we had two games with huge sacks that brought up the Cowboys because the Chargers Khalil Mack had six sacks.
Speaker 3: The most sense clayboard Atlanta against Chas Green.
Speaker 6: Oh, yes, I remember that. That was hard.
Speaker 5: That was the most sacks since and I was like, oh, okay, I remember that also.
Speaker 3: By the way, and by the way, Pete Carroll's pretty good coach. I mean he's a defensive backs coach by trade going way back, and so he can find these these defensive backs. He knows what he's looking for, and he also knows how. He knows how to play to his defense too.
Speaker 5: He knew how to play to his offense when he lost his starting quarterback, so he had a backup from the University of Missouri and let a touchdown drive.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't say he led that drive. He threw the ball down.
Speaker 4: They three people missed him. He was right on the bounds. Come on, you call that. You give that to the quarterback?
Speaker 5: It's a touchdown on drive?
Speaker 6: Yes it was.
Speaker 3: Yes, it was the first by a former Missouri quarterback.
Speaker 5: Since probably Chase Daniel the one game he played in his chase.
Speaker 3: I think he's No, he's not, he's the Chargers let him go. No, he's working. I think maybe NFL network.
Speaker 5: Oh okay, because the Chargers in the season.
Speaker 3: He's not with a team right now, for sure. He's already made his thirty five million dollars for five games in his career.
Speaker 5: Over and by the way, yours, that was a dirty tackle that that happened.
Speaker 6: On the quarterback. Yeah, that's right. That's how that got hurt.
Speaker 3: That's how Tony Powler got hurt.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it wasn't just that he landed on the back of his legs. He twisted him, pulled him back.
Speaker 5: His left so that was extremely dangerous and he should have been pissed off.
Speaker 6: He was. He came through a nice pass. I got it.
Speaker 5: Yes, So anyway, Yes, we did watch Monday night.
Speaker 3: Yes, and by the way, which leads me, we'll have conversations over the course of the next forty five minutes about quarterbacks in this league. We've had I think eight rookies start already this season, and things are not going well for the vast majority of rookie.
Speaker 5: Quarterbacks because they're not ready.
Speaker 3: That's exactly right, that's right enough. We don't have to We'll save that for the next segments. And Savannah, I'm sure that there are people very vocal out there in.
Speaker 5: The text.
Speaker 7: Yes, Twitter, the text, yes, all of it.
Speaker 4: We call it x now Twitter. How long are we going to say formally Twitter.
Speaker 5: I just I just saw that again today.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean times we got to do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't have to do that, but they want to.
Speaker 6: But they do it. They do it, We do it everyone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the same thing at some point. Whatever happened the Threads by the way, what do you mean wasn't that on remember a couple of months ago or hour long ago? It's it's yeah, Threads was going to be the alternative Twitter.
Speaker 5: Oh oh, I actually.
Speaker 3: Have an account that I haven't looked at in months.
Speaker 6: Never heard that.
Speaker 5: I don't have it.
Speaker 3: It was like for it was like, for twenty four hours, threads was a thing, and.
Speaker 7: What form they talked about on Twitter?
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 5: Nate in Frisco some juice, Oh, I left my phone behind, Nate.
Speaker 3: Nate was standing at the window here and holding a phone out juice. Did he text us? Does he want us to check our phone?
Speaker 8: Thank?
Speaker 5: Thank you?
Speaker 6: Nate and Frisco. Nate and Frisco delivery text thanks for delivering sir? All right? Good?
Speaker 5: Left it in Douglas's office.
Speaker 3: So we've made it through four weeks of the season, and now the bye week's kick in. For some team, including next week's Cowboys opponent, are off this week.
Speaker 5: And they might not have had their quarterback available if it was this week.
Speaker 3: Justin Herbert with.
Speaker 5: A fractured finger on his left hand.
Speaker 3: He continued playing and he.
Speaker 6: Was stopping.
Speaker 5: He said he threw a pass and his hand well, he said he threw a He's not left handed, but he said he threw a pass and his hand got caught in a face mask.
Speaker 6: What was there, That's what I was saying.
Speaker 5: Okay, he was trying to make him hand.
Speaker 6: Okay, you know quarterbacks should never try to make your hit your mutant again, don't say that. I said, shoot. I said, shoot, sir.
Speaker 5: It's the internet.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 4: But they were talking about quarterbacks should never try and make the tackle and that's why he got hit.
Speaker 5: Well, you probably got pissed off and said, okay, I'm gonna go get this guy.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, two big ass offensive line of defensive line when they were playing ping pong with him.
Speaker 3: So you got a full legal pad.
Speaker 5: This is my game stuff, that's.
Speaker 3: Your game stuff. And that was just in case, over to your and go over with stats to your left.
Speaker 5: What happened in the red zone three times when they.
Speaker 3: We talk about red zone again. Uh, I think we should they completed a twenty yard pass for a touchdown just because it was we got to keep talking about red zone.
Speaker 4: That's my It was a twenty plus yard passed twenty plus, all right.
Speaker 6: So therefore it was.
Speaker 5: An inch, which was a great call. But but no, because basically what Jerry was talking about this morning was, you know, number one we get there, which, by the way, they still are number one in red zone possessions. I believe it's nineteen right now.
Speaker 3: So if we played by the old high school football rules in Texas, that's called a penetration inside the twenty and that used to be the tie breaker in Texas high school football playoffs.
Speaker 4: You know what, when I lost my first championship the tie game, they went to your brother from the hood.
Speaker 6: You played till it's over penetration. What does that mean?
Speaker 3: So the Cowboys, you're saying, the Cowboys lead the league in penetration.
Speaker 5: Right, and then have the probably the thirtieth the thirtieth ranked percentage of touchdowns in their penetrations. By the way, by the way, when I covered high school football in South Carolina, penetration that.
Speaker 3: Was the thing there too.
Speaker 6: Yeah, sick.
Speaker 4: It was nineteen freaking sixty something and I'm losing. We tied the game, it's six to six. The guy ketch like, first down, you.
Speaker 3: Would have been like eight years old years old? Yeah, oh wow. So it was like Hamilton park Y m c A.
Speaker 6: This is s v aa okay, yeah, yeah, this is sweet athletic associate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's big stuff.
Speaker 4: You know, lost on penetration and I cried like a baby, like we don't you know what?
Speaker 6: What are we talking about it?
Speaker 4: That's I looked at that when I got home. What the heck is that? That does not matter? No, that does not matter.
Speaker 5: That's what we just happened out here. That's how they used to decide ties in a wrestling match. It was writing time, like if you were in control, they judged how long you were in control of the guy.
Speaker 6: They called it.
Speaker 5: They called it writing time.
Speaker 6: Yes, there's so much.
Speaker 3: There's so much more that we need to get into.
Speaker 6: Man, I had beef.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, beyond penetrations and writing. When we come back here on min shots in just a moment, stop this.
Speaker 9: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: They snapped the fresh guy who looks right.
Speaker 5: It's not there.
Speaker 3: He escaped slapped, He'll.
Speaker 2: Look full a punch down.
Speaker 9: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 5: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 9: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, they've got you covered.
Speaker 6: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 9: Get started at blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 10: You know that sound anywhere. It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection. That's what we're looking for at a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute not because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory dropping, there's no topping of school pepsy finish nachos better with pepsi.
Speaker 6: That's what I like.
Speaker 11: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award. For valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 12: Cowboys Football and Miller Lite. What a pairing can cracks a kickoff tailgates going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes, followed by Monday Morning Swag, Brisky and the Smoker, Miller Light and the Tree, America's team playing America's greatest school. Miller Like the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football, Taste like Miller Time, Celebrate Responsibly twenty twenty three. Miller Brown Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 7: Shots, KPE Post Roofing and Waterproofing, the official roofer of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: All right, we're back here on Mixed Shots.
Speaker 5: We're going to get back to red zone.
Speaker 3: Well, that's right, we got to talk about the red zone okay, take it away.
Speaker 5: So the Cowboys with nineteen possessions inside the red zone are tied with Buffalo for the most in the league, and second is by Francisco eighteen.
Speaker 6: But how much?
Speaker 4: Who capitalized the most and who capitalized the least?
Speaker 5: Eighteen trips? They have twelve touchdowns and six field.
Speaker 3: Goal Who's that San Francisco?
Speaker 5: So they have converted about sixty touchdowns twelve out eighteen. You said it's sixty six point seven percent.
Speaker 3: Thanks, I had got there.
Speaker 7: Okay. So during the press conference after the game on Sunday, Dak was asked about the red zone. So he was asked how efficient the offense was and how it felt to finally get a red zone score at the end with Hunter Lepkey, and he said, we were pretty efficient, but still not up to the standard.
Speaker 3: Right, So, but definitely Dak is still is counting the twenty yard pass as a red zone.
Speaker 6: Did he?
Speaker 4: Did?
Speaker 6: He count that very well?
Speaker 5: I he should in my stants.
Speaker 4: So tell me why did he get so upset? They used the word.
Speaker 5: Pissed oh at the end?
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh that was that was a playoff of something that at his availability during the week talking about how Maddy was about losing the Arizona and so then they asked him about San Francisco. That's yeah, so that's that was still it was inside it was an inside joke. Still thought.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he still dig at you that they lost that, and he basically said, he got.
Speaker 3: Now you're getting me pissed. He goes, now you're getting me pissed. But but that was a reference to what he was saying at first, that where he said over and over.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so he and he goes and he said, so do you want to add he didn't was to aggravate me or at go ahead, well one of the end ones they didn't finish the quote.
Speaker 7: Yeah, someone said on the bitter feeling that he had after last year's lost to San Francisco, and he said, we're so far past that, to be honest, it's obvious.
Speaker 5: And then he continued.
Speaker 6: To contradict himself.
Speaker 5: Left that whoever transcribed kind of left the rest of it out about you want to keep being pissed off? Okay, go ahead and keep saying it and keep saying it. But Bill Jones had it on his CBS eleven, of course.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it was I mean sometimes like, so did you what were your thought when you heard that he said that, what did you think he's mad or upset about anything.
Speaker 6: I think he was just perturbed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think. I think when I heard it, that's a great example of knowing the full context of the relationship with the reporter and right and Dak and going back to the third what it was said. But someone who wasn't aware of that from Thursday would think, oh, wow, he sounds like.
Speaker 4: Well, that's the way it was presented nationwide exactly. Yes, And that's.
Speaker 3: Where when we're here inside the building or inside the Metroplex and we're following this team on a daily basis, we have a much greater perspective on what's actually going on, just like in San Francisco, they got a much better perspective on what's going on and what we can pass.
Speaker 5: And one another one sports anchor teased it, come back now and find out what makes Dak Prescott mad?
Speaker 6: WHOA they use the word pissed. I heard that several times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, apparently.
Speaker 5: I thought, seems like, yeah, all right, what's I got?
Speaker 3: I got stuff I'd like to talk.
Speaker 5: About, but I don't know already I've already.
Speaker 3: Mentioned about the quarterbacks. Yes, okay, and it plays into San Francisco this week. Cowboys made a little trade with the forty nine ers recently and they added a quarterback, a third quarterback in that room, try Lancey Lance. And then you look around the league and you see what's going on with backup quarterbacks in the league. For instance, take for example, the Cleveland Browns, Deshaun Watson all of a sudden couldn't play against Baltimore on Sunday, and so they're having to go with a fifth round draft pick, rookie Dorian Thompson Robinson, who I really liked in the draft, but he's not ready to play in the NFL yet. And they had Joshua Dobbs on their roster in training camp and they traded him to Arizona for a fifth round draft pick. How much do you think on Sunday they could have used Joshua Dobbs in that game against Baltimore. Instead, they had to start a rookie dtr when when Watson couldn't go, and all they got, oh, we got a fifth round pick for him, you know, and we like this guy looked great in preseason.
Speaker 5: So that you know, the story I read about that said that he took himself.
Speaker 3: Out of the game.
Speaker 5: Watson, Yeah, like he just resigned.
Speaker 3: He went I think he went to warm up and said his shoulder. He's dealing well, I can't remember what the injury that he's dealing with he was.
Speaker 5: They made it sound like it was his.
Speaker 3: They made it sound like well, and then he went out. Yeah, And so he went out and threw Sunday morning and yeah, shoulder, and then he said he can't go, and so they had to go with the rookie. But my point is, all right, so here you had a team that had a five year veteran quarterback and played a lot. But we've seen now over four games that Joshua Dobbs can get the job done with what we all thought was not a very good team in Arizona, they proved that wrong. We could go against us anyway. Then you look at the Raiders and they had Aidan O'Connell who started because there Jimmy g is in concussion protocol and so, and he didn't farewell and got sacked however many times seven times total, six by one guy. Yeah, in that game against the Chargers.
Speaker 6: And so.
Speaker 3: Look at the room that the Cowboys have, and so I proposed the question to you, when you look at the depth of the quarterback room that the Cowboys have, how does that compare with the rest of the league.
Speaker 5: It's pretty good, pretty shape favorably.
Speaker 3: I might be the best.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, it might be the best. Yeah, yeah, you're back talking about a proven.
Speaker 5: Backup five and one in his sixth start exactly.
Speaker 3: A couple of other examples. Indianapolis is going with their fourth round. I mean, they're number four overall pick Anthony Richardson and he gets hurt, and so they got Gardner Inshew to go in and he's Actually, they can win games with Gardner Minshew at quarterback, and they've won a couple already, right, more than in fact, they would win more games this year with Minshew than with Richardson. But they're committed to go with the rookie. Carolina, They've got Andy Dalton as the backup. Dalton against the same Seattle team that sacked the Giants quarterbacks eleven times in last night's game. They Andy Dalton started against them last week and they put up twenty seven points in a thirty seven twenty seven about that, and Young couldn't play.
Speaker 6: You can't get rid of him, can you, Right, But it's.
Speaker 3: The value of that veteran backup and now the Cowboys have that with Cooper Rush. He proved last year going four and one. He's a thirty year old veteran quarterback now, even though he hadn't played a lot, he's been around the league. He knows how to read defenses. He knows.
Speaker 5: So are you proposing that some team should trade for Trey Lance.
Speaker 3: No, I'm saying this is a great situation right here, and you want you want.
Speaker 4: To our worst case scenario wouldn't be so bad considering the fact that we have such good backup quarterbacks.
Speaker 6: That's what you saying.
Speaker 3: That's right, Yeah, And you and you I think you want to have on your team, and I'm talking basically on your fifty three. You want to have your starter. If you're a contender, you want your starter, a veteran guy who can go in and win a game for you and a developmental guy.
Speaker 4: And that's what the Cowboys, out of all the contenders, what do they look like?
Speaker 6: Who backs up party in San franc.
Speaker 3: Well, And that's a great example when you look at last year what San Francisco did when they they had Trey Lance, but they kept even though they were in a Jimmy g was in a contract dispute, they kept the door open for Garoppolo to come back once once he surveys what's out there, and there wasn't anything great out there for him, and so they kept the door open, and sure enough he comes back and he winds up starting for him. Now, Lance got hurt after two games into the season. And then they and even after they use so much capital to get Trey Lance and then move up to take him in the draft, they still worked it as far as we got to find a late round quarterback and they like Brock Purty. And so with the last pick of the draft, they took Brock Purdy and they've got him, and turns out they hit gold with Brock Purdy.
Speaker 4: Buffalo Josh Allen, who's Josh Allen's back up. I mean, I'm just saying, since you're talking about this and you're talking about the the better teams in the league, right you know, you're talking Buffalo.
Speaker 13: Miami Buffalo, and Buffalo has Shane Bouchell and Kyle Allen, Kyle Allen, Wow, Kyle Allen and Bouchelle's on their practice squad.
Speaker 5: Since you got all those things, Denver, He Well, they're no, but I'm saying they traded. They have Stidham, Yeah, Trad Drew Locke is part of the Russell Wilson Okay, so that's how Seattle ended up with Drew.
Speaker 6: And so basically I'm just going down that same line.
Speaker 4: If you look at the contenders in the NFL, whether it's a f C, NFC, I was trying to see what their backups look like.
Speaker 6: So Josh Allen, give me another team, Philly, Yeah, thank you. That was my next one. So Deffie Eagles.
Speaker 3: I'm going to get it official right here. They got Mariota and then they drafted in the sixth round out of Stanford Tanner mckeithy.
Speaker 5: So a veteran guy that's been in the league.
Speaker 6: So they they they've got they've.
Speaker 3: Got the same They've got the same situation there basically with a veteran guy and Mariota to back him up as the same kind of style anyway that hurts. Now, McKee's not the same style. He's more of a pro style back drop back quarterback.
Speaker 7: So San Francisco has Sam Donald and Brandon Sam Donald.
Speaker 3: So that's why they brought in Sam Donald this year.
Speaker 5: And that's why they let Lance. He actually he was told he was the third guy, right and they and he said, can you trade me?
Speaker 3: And they picked up Brandon Allen right before they or about the same time they traded Trey Lance. And wasn't that long before, so to give him a.
Speaker 4: Third So that it seems like the teams that have the most solid backups they feel very comfortable with they are right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And then on the other hand, you look at Cincinnati Burrow's battling an injury. They got no place to turn. They got Jake Browning as their backup, and they had they of course, they signed Will Grier to their practice squad and he got signed off the practice squad to New England to still with them after the game. I hadn't quarterbacks there. Yeah, he may be starting here in the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he might have played himself out of a job.
Speaker 3: But I and really, when you look back in history for the Cowboys, when they've had teams that have made it to the Super Bowl, they've had quality depth at the quarterback position.
Speaker 5: Steve Berlin yep I love.
Speaker 6: Steve Berline won five straight games sod.
Speaker 5: And then and then when he got signed.
Speaker 3: By wound up in Carolina and it was a starter in Carolina and then play Cowboys.
Speaker 5: Backing up Troy after a couple of games was Jason Garrett who hadn't played. But they ended up making I think it was a trade or it was a free agent signing in ninety four for Bernie Kozy Kozar.
Speaker 3: They had Rodney Pete in there as well, right, I can't recall it.
Speaker 6: Maybe that was all those are very.
Speaker 5: That was ninety three when they made the deal for Kozar because he had remember he had to come in in that playoffs.
Speaker 3: And then they had Wade Wilson in there, and then Wade Wide. Wilson had started games with Minnesota Da Cunningham and didn't work out. So that was after the Super Bowl era.
Speaker 4: We just had some really good backups. That's all I'm saying good in it.
Speaker 3: And then go way back and you got Stabach and Morton.
Speaker 5: There you go Cunningham and.
Speaker 4: Then that but that that could be what our m O is in this organization.
Speaker 6: We're going to have quality backups. So that's.
Speaker 5: Cunningham was a great back up until he had to play the final game of the season and he had a strained hamstring. He wanted no part of that game whatsoever, and they had to uh, they had to play. Uh. Anthony Anthony Wright. He got sacrificed that final game against Tennessee.
Speaker 7: Nate and Frisco has a question. All right, you ready for that? I don't know, Okay, play on words. Is this a test for the Cowboys or is this a challenge for the Cowboys, test to see how good they are or challenge to show how good you really are?
Speaker 3: Sure that's from Nate and Frisco.
Speaker 6: So you're talking to somebody else, Man, who did you get that question from? You know what?
Speaker 5: Great question?
Speaker 3: Nathaniel and San Francisca at Frisco.
Speaker 5: I think at this point like if you if you fail the test, right, then you're you're no good, right. But if you look at it as a challenge, then I think it's like, Okay, let's see where we're at. Because if you fail the test and it's like, well, you'll never beat San Francisco.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you can worry how you want. The fifth game of the season, That's what I was going to say. It's just the fifth game of the season.
Speaker 4: What happens after this it won't even have anything to do with this particular game itself, right.
Speaker 6: I mean, this is just a matter.
Speaker 4: It's a measuring stick on where both teams are right now, and whoever wins this game, they are not automatically going to the Super Bowl.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's just the way there is.
Speaker 4: They're going to have ups and downs the rest of the season, and you got another twelve games to go. So I'm happy with the fact that we have a chance to see.
Speaker 6: Where we are. But I'm not going to be all you know.
Speaker 4: Of course, they're going to hike it up and around the league, but I'm not looking at this as a big hypen.
Speaker 3: And maybe I don't know if Natan Frusco Francs Nathaniel in San Francisco remembers this, but it was I think thirty one years ago this week October fifth, nineteen ninety two, there was a Monday night football game between the unbeaten Dallas Cowboys and the unbeaten Philadelphia Eagles, and the Eagles won that game thirty one to seven.
Speaker 6: Damn.
Speaker 3: And then Mickey one happened the rest of that nineteen ninety two season. Cowboys ended up beating the Eagles.
Speaker 8: Beat the Eagles not only only November first at home twenty to ten in the regular season, but they kicked off the playoffs Divisional Playoff Round at Texas Stadium against the Eagles, a thirty four to ten win over the aforementioned Randall Cunningham and the Eagles, and then it was on to wear but.
Speaker 3: San Francisco for a thirty to twenty win over the Niners and onto Super Bowl twenty seven of fifty two seventeen win that could have been fifty nine to.
Speaker 5: Seventeen, which everybody said that they were too young, that's not their time yet.
Speaker 3: So we are on the road to the Super Bowl h and we lose on Sunday night.
Speaker 4: So here's a here's here's a delicious we get blown out this weekend and then we win.
Speaker 3: The Super Bowl.
Speaker 5: Delicious. Stat we have the Cowboys right now or the number two defense in the league total yards in San Francisco, the number two offense.
Speaker 3: That's nice. Let's go, it's going to be fine, Let's be fun.
Speaker 4: Fine, it's gonna be and that's how you it's gonna be a fun game.
Speaker 6: I can't look at this as Okay, if we lose this, we're done. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I just can't say that in game five, Week five, I just can't say that.
Speaker 6: Absolutely. I refuse to say that.
Speaker 4: Even if we win, I'll be like, Okay, what happens after this with us?
Speaker 6: What kind of team will we beat? After we win this game?
Speaker 4: We could still lose several to several teams that shouldn't beat us even though we won this game.
Speaker 5: So you think when NBC promotes this game, they're gonna they.
Speaker 6: Don't want to hear that. Ain't nobody got time for that. No, they don't want to hear all that.
Speaker 7: This is.
Speaker 3: Exactly we gotta take a break.
Speaker 6: Yes we do.
Speaker 3: Okay, back with more mixed shots at a moment.
Speaker 11: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 12: Cowboys football and Miller Lite. What a pairing can cracks a kickoff tailgates going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes, followed by Monday morning swag Brisky than the Smoker, Miller Lte and the Creek, America's team playing America's greatest sport. Miller Lite, the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys football tastes like Miller Time. Celebrate responsibly. Twenty twenty three, Miliberal Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 9: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they snapped.
Speaker 3: The fresh down. Who looks right, It's not there.
Speaker 5: He escaped, flapped He'll run for a Pernstyn.
Speaker 9: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With Blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 2: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 9: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered. What are you waiting for get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 10: You know that sound anywhere. It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection. That's what we're looking for at a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute noo nirvana because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping, there's no topping of cool, pepsy finish nachos better with pepsi.
Speaker 3: That's what I like.
Speaker 2: Shots.
Speaker 7: Join us at Miller Lighthouse at AT and T Stadium on October seventh and eighth for world class barbecue from pitmasters across the country while enjoying live entertainment and libations. At Que Barbecue Fest Dallas this October, the only thing hotter than the Dallas Cowboys will be thirty thousand pounds of brisket chicken polled pork ribs at the Miller Lighthouse when some of the biggest names in barbecue come together at Que Barbecue Fest. Tickets are on sale now at SeatGeek dot com. The official ticketing provider of AT and T Stadium.
Speaker 5: You know what that made me. I saw the lineup. I saw the lineup of the pitmans that they got coming in. They're from all over the country, Saint Louis.
Speaker 3: Kansas City, all over tech barbecue.
Speaker 7: Hot, battle of the best barbecue.
Speaker 3: All right, wrapping up what we just were talking about.
Speaker 5: Brian Schottenheimer, I thought put a good perspective on the game when they asked him about how important it was, Da Dad, and he said, it's another game, it's a big game, It's the NFC should be a hell of a game. And I think that kind of puts a nice button up on that topic perspective to take.
Speaker 3: How confident you're feeling about the Rangers this afternoon as they play game one of the best of three wild Card series at Tampa Bay.
Speaker 5: I hate the fact it's at Tampa Bay.
Speaker 3: In all three games would be at Tampa Bay, that.
Speaker 5: Stupid stadium that they're about to replace.
Speaker 6: You said, all three games.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah. The new format started last year. They added wild card team and in the first round it's best two out of three and it's at the home stadium of the higher seeded team.
Speaker 5: All three games, and they have the best home record in the league.
Speaker 3: All right, here's the problem that I had. It was on Saturday night. Oh, I know, the Rangers clinch a wildcard spot, Okay, as did the Astros in Arizona. Okay, and they still the last day of the regular season the next afternoon in Seattle, the Rangers had to win to win the division. And if you win the division, you get not one, not two, not three, not four, but five days off and you host a division series the following Saturday. Okay.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 3: If you don't win the division, you fly straight from Tampa six hours, I mean straight from Seattle six hours to Tampa and have to play on their home field best two out of three against a team that was the started off the seasons best team in Bay. Yeah, they were really like that. So what did the Rangers do on Saturday night? They clinched a playoff spot. Since they clinched a playoff spot, they had the plastic draped on the in the clubhouse, protecting the lockers. They were spewing the champagne all over the place, like we have done something. We have made the playoffs. So the first time in seven years.
Speaker 5: It's okay to spew it. You don't have to drink it, and I don't think they did not. Evidently the pitchers didn't drink it because they basically only gave up.
Speaker 3: Run run, right, Yeah, but I don't even they were They were professionals and celebrated. They celebrated. They were professional. They didn't stay out and I don't.
Speaker 5: Know they didn't pull an all night or but.
Speaker 3: I will say this, they come the next day. They didn't hit. It's a two hour, one minute game. It was like get away, getaway day, as you swing and everything and then you get.
Speaker 11: Out of it.
Speaker 6: They were not.
Speaker 3: They were not They were not working any y at bats on Sunday afternoon. Apparently for a two hour and one minute game.
Speaker 6: Well, they couldn't improve their position, could they.
Speaker 3: Well they could. They had to win. They had to win the game because they were And then they're looking at the scoreboard.
Speaker 6: So you think they hung over.
Speaker 3: Houston had to win their game too, Yes, Okay, so they're looking at the scoreboard and we're now won nothing and Houston's up eight nothing in the third inning over Arizona because and it's Dawn's on them, donned on them at that point that oh my God, we got to go to Tampa.
Speaker 5: You know, Arizona didn't try.
Speaker 4: They just so they should have anticipated the fact that the Arizona didit in Arizona.
Speaker 3: Arizona had qualified for the playoffs.
Speaker 4: They couldn't, they could not see they anticipated that right.
Speaker 3: Well, and Seattle was out. Seattle didn't need to try either. It was done. It really was get away day for them for they.
Speaker 5: So they only played a game one run better.
Speaker 6: In the approach to the game. As a manager, this is both of you talking about it.
Speaker 3: What I'm saying is right. I'm sorry if I own that team, if I own that Rangers team, I'm saying I'm telling everybody in the organization on Saturday, we haven't done squat. We are not. I mean, you can do a little toast of ginger ale or something that we made the playoffs on Saturday, but we have to win this game on Sunday afternoon. We are not spewing champagne all over because it's a mindset that they lost one. Yeah, they lost one to nothing, but it's a mindset that the team has that we've done something. No, our goal is to win the division.
Speaker 6: What you tell me, tell me what the manager said after the game.
Speaker 5: He said that they deserve to celebrate an accomplishment.
Speaker 4: Okay, but what did he say about the attitude towards the final game? Not about what they celebrated. What I mean, did anyone ask what was your approach to this game? I'm sure someone asking that. I want to hear what he said.
Speaker 3: They approached it the way they would approach any game.
Speaker 6: They said, they approached it the way the would approaching the game. But but did the.
Speaker 3: Evidence from the night before.
Speaker 14: I'm thinking no, no, no, Now, the evidence is the way they the way they played in the game, and they didn't just lose, according to you, they.
Speaker 6: Were like just hacking away, trying to get out of there.
Speaker 3: So I just say it was a two hour game and.
Speaker 4: So so come on, that's that's evidence to me. So I don't know, defeat to the fire.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: I just if if, like I said, if I own that team, I'm like, we hadn't done anything yet. You put a cork in that.
Speaker 6: I would like to be at the press conference.
Speaker 5: Evan Grant disgrace. He described the celebration or celebration.
Speaker 3: As uh, the the.
Speaker 5: Carpet in the clubhouse wasn't as soaked as I've seen it before after a celebration. So yeah, I I.
Speaker 6: Wasn't.
Speaker 3: I wasn't.
Speaker 13: I wasn't on.
Speaker 5: Board with celebrating.
Speaker 3: It's like, you still got to go.
Speaker 5: That's like having a big bash after you win the NFC title game and well, okay, but now we're in the super Bowl, right, you celebrate, but within reasons.
Speaker 3: Well, and they do in baseball they do a Champagne celebration after every playoff series clincher, like like if the Rangers go in and win the next two days in Tampa, they'll have another Champagne celebration on Wednesday after US soak the Bats in Champagne anyway, so hopefully they were able to win those two games. They have to win in Tampa and then they they don't even host it. Then they got to go to Baltimore from there, so their road trip they were on the road in the regular seas. Now that they go to Tampa and then if they win there, they got to go to Baltimore. They won't host a game until next Tuesday.
Speaker 5: Nate natan Frisco text that same old Rangers, nothing different.
Speaker 3: Well they got it shot wrong, all right? That does it for mix Shots. That was my mix shot.
Speaker 5: Well we you know, we're all. I had one for a day too, you did.
Speaker 3: We're going to have it tomorrow. I can say it out of time on this edition of mix Shots.
Speaker 6: See you Rangers and Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.