Speaker 1: Of Course. Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio. This classic episode was produced by the team at Pandora.
Speaker 2: What Up.
Speaker 3: This is unpaid bill for West Love Supreme. Check out singer songwriter and produce your tie dollars sign as you share. Some of his words of wisdom too were growing up in the LA music scene. He's created process and working with everyone from Babyfacing, scrill X to Up and comber Tish Hyman. This is a QLs classic The tie Dollars sign from January seventeenth, twenty eighteen.
Speaker 2: Let nigga Loody Washington.
Speaker 1: How do you know his name?
Speaker 4: I'd be Supreme Supremo, roll call Suprema Suck Suck Supremo, roll call SUPREMEA suck Suck Supremo, roll call Supreme Up suck Suck Supremo ROA. See one of my girls in the club, Da, two of my girls in the club baby three.
Speaker 5: Oh God, Suprema, Suprema, Suprema, Supremo role.
Speaker 6: My name is Fante. Yeah, this is how we start. Yeah, be cause I'm stealing. Yeah, all these bitches hard.
Speaker 7: Oh Supremo, Suprema role called Suprema Supremo role called.
Speaker 2: My name is sugar Yeah, and sugar's fine. Yeah, like the almighty yeah dollar signing ro.
Speaker 7: Call Suprema something Suprema role called Suprema so supreme a role.
Speaker 8: It's like, yeah, feeling like a batty Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Suprema Son Sun, Suprema role called Suprema southing son, Suprema role.
Speaker 9: Called my name is Tar Yeah, dollar yeah, beach house three Yeah, in stores now.
Speaker 7: Sun Supremo, roll call Suprema Son Sun Supremo, roll Suprema Sun Sun Supremo roll call Suprema Son Sun Supremo roll.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 9: Hey.
Speaker 1: First of all, let me just say Todd, thank you for your understated ad libs, because we've had a few.
Speaker 6: Seanie Wilson was running. Wilson went, went Ham Jarney and chicken and dressing.
Speaker 1: He did the did the moaning, the plantation, moaning about to happen at midnight. Moaning Ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to another edition of Quest Love Supreme Court Love. We have a team Supremia. Are we still here?
Speaker 6: We're still here? We we we We're like we cut down a little bit, tem Supreme.
Speaker 1: We got post holiday Supreme. We got a fun ticcolo in the house for something all how you doing we have Ah, it's all you and sugar, Steve. I never missed a show. This is true.
Speaker 8: That is true.
Speaker 6: That is true, Steve. He's only one of us has perfect attendance. Other than no, I'm not.
Speaker 1: I wasn't technically there for this picnic. Oh.
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean you showed up a little bit in and out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know I showed up. But you know you do that attendance and everything. Yeah, okay, well I'll make sure you get it. The first step and everything is showing up.
Speaker 8: So we learned in elementary school.
Speaker 1: If necessarily hit me with this, I'm sorry. I forgot. Forgive me, y'all.
Speaker 2: That's me.
Speaker 9: Anyway, Today I love this show already.
Speaker 1: Today we got singing song writer producer Los Angeles Nate Still Los Angeles name correct. Okay, is everything fine? You know, because I think.
Speaker 9: I mean, there's a big fire going on right I'm saying some of the homies have had to evacuate.
Speaker 1: But are you fine at the moment?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'm fine.
Speaker 1: Okay, My life is my house is yeah, yeah, okay good. Just want to be sure. Uh, the Lineage Royalty, we have a Todd Dallas sign in the house Today, he's going to talk about his life journey for making on the ground mixtapes to singing over some of the notableducers that we all love on the show, Matt Lib, Black Milk, Dylan, even even with I created a partner as one of my fate. Oh my god, it's almost ten years and really that's almost half old school when something is not? Is this a classic? Now?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I guess fifteen years of old school? You know what, know the way music moves now, like five years is damn in old school.
Speaker 8: I mean it's you probably got to ask the youngest one in the room about that. Would you say to what's man?
Speaker 9: The way the way my little homies is talking three years is old.
Speaker 1: That sounds about right true anyway, you know.
Speaker 9: Like you're you're the o G homie.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 1: And right now he's here promoting his latest effort, Beach House three, and we would like to welcome Ty Donalds. Signed the question Man, happy.
Speaker 9: To be here, happy to be in all of your presence.
Speaker 1: Coming're happy to happy, We're happy to have you for sure.
Speaker 9: So yeah, Beach House three is out one of my favorite projects up to date. I got John Mayrow on my project. Man that's like a big life goal for me. One of my favorite musicians out there, you know. And uh my next project, I'm gonna have quest love You feel me putting that absolutely?
Speaker 1: Why not? You don't have to put it out.
Speaker 9: It was work.
Speaker 1: I'm down. We only worked one. Well, you came on the show once, uh what like twenty thirteen, I think, yeah, yeah, you came through.
Speaker 11: That was the first time you've been on National TV on foul remember my first time together.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Man, the work time to getting that lab though.
Speaker 1: So you're all right. So you were born in Los Angeles.
Speaker 9: I was born in Los Angeles, raised in Los Angeles. I'm not like like when people come to l A and they have like bad things to say about l A. I feel like, you know what y'all have been like on the other side of Wilshire, like meaning Hollywood and like you know, like where all the out of towners be at. Like I'm talking about the other side of Wilshire, like the real LA That's where I'm from. You know, it's a good Inglewood south Central like Midtown like Inglewood, like Compton, like Long Beach, like.
Speaker 1: So what do you what would you consider what would you consider Pasadena, Altadena.
Speaker 9: That's like, it's that's I mean, it's some homies from over there too. You know, you gotta you gotta a Pasadena guy in the in the booth right now, my security Brown.
Speaker 1: I'm quasi Pasadena. I probably did like two or three years.
Speaker 11: And when I as a kid as.
Speaker 1: Well, I was also three, So it's not much I think you needed it at that point. No, So it's if I don't know, like I'm one of these people that you know, because I'm in the industry and I have a lot of industry peeps, I will say that I think it's almost by default or fashionable for people to sort of disavow or disassociate themselves from LA. But for me, like I mean, whatever side you're on, either the hood side or the Hollywood side or whatever, there's always this thing of like, you know, LA is not real, it's superficial, it's fake and da da da da da. But you know, I'll say for myself, LA is like probably one of four places that I still get excited to go to. You know, Like now that I live in New York, it's like I live here, so the mystery's going up. Oh I'm going to New York. That used to be a thing coming from Philly. But for me, I've always loved everything about going to LA and never understood people that were sort of like cao whatever about it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it depends on where you're from.
Speaker 11: That's why the song that you did about La that was like the perfect way to describe it, like the feeling like everything. But I think a lot of East Coast people sometimes they come to La feeling in some tipe of way because it moves slower.
Speaker 8: It's the opposite. It's kind of like the opposite.
Speaker 2: It's more laid back.
Speaker 6: Like one thing I wanted to ask you is I was talking This has been a couple of weeks ago. I was talking to Terrys Martin and he was like, Yo, man, you gotta come to La. You gotta come out here. Like the air is different out here. That was the exact quote.
Speaker 2: He's like, Yo, the air is just different out here. You need to come and lit's get in.
Speaker 9: Like Creative is always going to give you one of them famous you know, terrorist quotes, legendary quotes. Yo.
Speaker 6: Man, that was his There is different, So like creatively, what is it for you?
Speaker 9: I mean for me, it's there like you said, it's just like when I'm here, it's one vibe. Actually, when I made that song La, it was here me and Kendrick. We both did up versus out here. But when you're out there, it's definitely like a different vibe that you get.
Speaker 8: The beach makes a difference too.
Speaker 9: For sure. For sure, even though all the studios ain't nowhere near to be right.
Speaker 1: So what do you what are your views on New York? Like when as an LA native, when you're traveling to New York or whatever.
Speaker 9: Do you it's the same exact feeling that you you said. I think like I'm excited. I can't wait to get out there and just touch the city. And you know, so you're the energy seven eight. I was out here, me and my boy Parker, and you know, I was like in the studios trying to, you know, see who I could get a beat placed on it. At that time, I was just doing a lot of beats and I sung and all that, but I wasn't like it was more so like focused focusing on beats and all that. And that didn't work out. So I ended up going back to l A mean, why g linked up? We made Toted and booted and then you know everything from there.
Speaker 1: So I guess you should be noted that your father as a member of Lakeside. Yeah, and like just growing up in that he was was he original member in the.
Speaker 9: Group, He was an original memory he came later when was his spirit all through the eighties, nineties, okay, two thousands so around Like I guess when Outrageous was Yeah by the time because he toured with that, Yeah it was, yes.
Speaker 1: Okay, So were you a backstage kid as far as.
Speaker 9: Like, yeah, for sure, backstage kids, studio kids.
Speaker 1: Just to sall that period, Like what were you seeing at in your formative young years.
Speaker 9: Young years coming up? Just you know Pops is, Homies, Earth Wind and fire Shallamar, all the people from back then. I remember them all, like you know, they would come to the house sometimes when they would throw parties whatever, studios you know. I remember like when when my homies around me started you know, smoking me or whatever. I remembered that smell from when I was young. I'm like, I always thought it was cigarettes because I'll see the little roaches, but like it wasn't. Yeah, out of that did.
Speaker 1: You have even as a young as in your young years, Like did you have any desires to get into music or you just.
Speaker 9: Observed, like I was just observing really, but like hearing like them figure out songs and like, uh, you know, writing songs together, and then me going and touching the piano or touching the guitar and being being able to like play that same melody that I just heard by ear. I was like to start. And once I figured that out, then my pop's uh and to buy me an NPC, and then from there I got a in Sonic TS ten, and I learned how to MIDI and then I learned the uh, the ad ads and all that.
Speaker 1: Wow, when you started like ten, I'm gonna say that's a little unusual. Like, yeah, I just wanted a drum set. I didn't want a damn studio quick. Look.
Speaker 9: I always wanted the drum set. But they never would buy me the drum set, I guess because it was that made too much my mom's excuse. So you know, I wanted to be you.
Speaker 8: Bro diud you play right? You play drums?
Speaker 9: Yeah? I played drums, but like not like him, but I played drums.
Speaker 1: Though, So that's actually smart for parents to buy kids NPCs instead of drum kids headphones and stuff. Keep it real quiet in the house. See, my parents brought me drum set because they wanted to know I was envy basement monitoring. Yes, exactly.
Speaker 9: Like I met this other kid writer. His name was Troy, and his dad was and their brothers Johnson, and he knew how to make beats George Johnson.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, So Troy taught me like what to do you know what I mean, from like young and then after that it just we went off.
Speaker 1: So growing up, like because we these are people that we idolized, Like is this I mean everyone always says like, oh, you're just dad to me, You're not like like did you really that your your particular situation was just a little bit different then your peers around the way or did that not phase you at all?
Speaker 9: I mean it's great like everything.
Speaker 1: Like how do your friends, I'm sorry, how do you how do your friends at least in that in that time of your life? How do they accept your existence? Like because you're experiencing things that they don't. You get to meet.
Speaker 9: Yeah, like people like you know, friends from the neighborhood would think it was like cool and all that, but like, really I used to want to keep it separate, so people wouldn't like, uh, I think it's kind of like what my daughter goes through now. If I if I go to her school and she doesn't want me to like get out and you know, come get her like that, because everybody would be like, oh, she's a teenager twelve now, so like.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, like it's crazy.
Speaker 10: So you know what I mean.
Speaker 9: And she's in middle school, so if I get out, then all the kids will come running like, oh, let me get a picture of time dollars sign, and then she doesn't get to like, you know, being at school. So I never wanted people to you know, know about that really or like you know, be around me for that. So that's how that was.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, Well, what kind of car are you pulling up? Pulling up to the school.
Speaker 9: I've been blessed. I like to take my I like to take my driver mad up there in the suburban and uh oh.
Speaker 2: No, a suburban is pretty I like to take.
Speaker 9: I got to give them respect, you know, shout out to mat.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you pull up in a f animal some shit, and the it's like I'm looking for attention.
Speaker 2: But the suburban is that's pretty standard.
Speaker 11: Twelve year old daughter changes everything, not even just like that whole aspect. I'm just thinking it's just in twenty seventeen having the door to being Tied Dollar Sign.
Speaker 8: It's like you know what I'm saying, Like.
Speaker 9: She listened to like over the last two years. Like then it started getting real like after ten, like where it's like, okay, she's got the phone. I'm like, play your music, play whatever you want to play, just hoping the play put whatever you're listening to on and like I can tell she's like, yeah, she's getting there. So I'm like, wow, I like that song you put out, Dad, I like that new song. Oh I like that Okay okay. So's when three came, it was like all right, I'm not gonna like the studio you have. You have like yes, Snapchat, Oh she has a Snapchat Okay, so I gotta like, you know, she doesn't have an Insta yet. So I got like, I don't know how much more time I got.
Speaker 5: Old.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you guys will you guys will be saying much more Dad, my bio Tied.
Speaker 6: Dollar Radio Edits so like as a kid, it's gonna get better, though, I promise you so I would be one thing I would to ask you is as a kid, So it was your pops. He was he played, he was played with Lakeside, it's your mom. Does she have any musical talent?
Speaker 9: She doesn't do music at all. And then of course after pops and moms broke up, she didn't want me to do music. Grandpaps didn't want me to do music. Nobody from that side was like a fan of the music. So, you know, when when life started to happen more and I started to feel like, you know, I know everything, and you know I could do everything on my own. You know, I was like in the back of my grandmother's crib on my dad's side, you know, working and shout out to her because her birthday's coming up this weekend, and you know, everybody in the family's texting me. And I even go on Instagram Live earlier and one of my cousins gets on there like, yo, are you coming this week? Like what like my grandmama birthday? You already know I'm gonna be there, like the whole family going. She's about to be ninety two.
Speaker 1: So so you're still close to your family.
Speaker 9: Hell yeah, man?
Speaker 1: Is it slightly different though, it's.
Speaker 9: Slightly different for sure, like you know with certain people, but like the real ones, like yeah, the immediate family is always regular good adjustment.
Speaker 6: Like new cousins like rights get new on you, old cousins getting new on you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's you know, like how do you how do you adjust to that? Because that's one of the I feel like that's one of the hardest transitions that one can go through when you're like in an isolated situation and you get meteoric success and then yeah, it's like it's our thing, right.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I've learned with like all issues. I'll like, just if I really, really, you know, mess with you, I'll give you a couple of explanations if it takes that many times, and then I'll just go quiet for a minute to let you figure it out yourself. And it seems it's been working pretty well. Get it people like ended up figuring it out. You know, it's meant to be.
Speaker 1: As I had to. Sorry, I feel certain way.
Speaker 8: I just got this.
Speaker 11: Sorry, Hey did your mother when did she turn the cheek and go you know what?
Speaker 10: Son?
Speaker 8: You may have something with this.
Speaker 9: When you know I came back at her and no, no, she's always like supported me. She just wanted me to figure it out. But it was definitely that time where she was like, yo, so you know your videos out, your songs on the radio, but where's the money?
Speaker 8: My mom? I just had ton, but.
Speaker 9: You know, she was just asking where it is. She just always cares for sure. She wants to see make sure I'm on the right path. And I wasted my time. So I figured it out and it just took you know, consistency, and we met. It happen.
Speaker 2: What was the How did you and Corey link up?
Speaker 9: Corey? Me and Corey linked up through this random dude that I met at the Guitar Center name et Cetera, and et Cetera heard me playing bass and he was like, yo, I made music too. I got some I want to play you and we went outside and it was like some rap music and it was dope. He was from New York and and I told him I would come out here because I met somebody online that I was going to sell a be two at the time, and I ended up coming out here. I linked up with him and when I went to his crib, it was in bedstide and Corey was in the living room and he was making music on the laptop or whatever at the time, the desktop at the time, and he sounded like Raphael sa Dik a little bit like I had a little vibe to him, and I'm like, oh, that's kind of crazy, Let's make a song. We end up making like three songs that same day right there, and then we met back up at the sun Dance Film Festival in Utah because I was like doing some music for some little film at the time, and we ended up linking up at this dude Parker's crib, which Parker became my best friend and he still lives with me right now. It's crazy, but me and Corey ended up making like a whole little project in a week at this dude Parker's crib and it was called Ron Banging one. And we made ron Banging too, and ended up linking with who I Am in Timberlake and made a little situation and met all these different people and that's all that did. And then I ended up going back to LA that's at the time when I was living in New York too. Then I ended up going back in LA and you know, end up going back to my hood just you know, making beats and you know, making songs for homies around the neighborhood. And my big homie from my hood was like, yo, I'm managing this new little dude. I think you should mess with him. He got compted on lock and all that. I'm like, all right. So I listened to it and it's this like jerk music, and it's like, I don't know, bro, like that's not what I'm on like, but he's like, bro, I promise you. He brings them to the house and I make this beat and instituted and booty beat, and I had sampled the group called the I can't think of it right now. I just sampled this record. My homie Cords just pulled it out and like I sampled it and did the little drums, and he came in. I mean my other cousin TC forty eight hundred little TC that's out there. Him and Nana was like, make a song called Tutor and boodh. I'm like, what does that mean? They like hit it and go. I'm like all right, So I just come up with the hook and YG does his verse, TC does his verse. We make a video with the homie h.
Speaker 1: James right, James Followoyd.
Speaker 9: Nah by James fo Roy, my other homie James. And right now, James is like an actor and all that, but at that at the time, like he was shooting videos and all that and uh like on this old cheap camera. So we went to dark Waller Beach shot the video. It came out tie dollar sign feature on YG and TC forty. Next thing, you know, there was a MENI views up there like in a month and then Depth Jam starts calling and they're like, yo, we want to sign y G. I'm like, all right, let's get it. Like however, however is supposed to come, Like, let's get it, and of course they wanted Tutor and Buddha is the single and I'm like cool, so we're gonna do a reshoot of the video. Right. It's with Colin Tilly who.
Speaker 1: Came came from Jam. You know Max cous Okay.
Speaker 9: Yeah, shout out to Max. So, uh, this dude, Colin, Colin Tilly is shooting the videos like his first video, like right before he got huge. He's like one of the biggest directors out there now. Right, and the video drops and it says YG tutored and Booty I am in the video. But it says nothing about tie dollar sign, right, So I'm like, all right, cool, like it's time to keep on. That's what my mom's talking talking that like yeah everywhere, like where's the money? Next thing? You know, the guy who I produced with a lot, his name is Jacasso. He ends up getting killed. And when he got killed, that like made me just like not even want to do beats no more. I was just discouraged from life, Like I felt like why him out of everybody, was like one of the best people I know on earth. So you know, YG's doing shows and he's having me come through and we started like making money. So he's getting ten thousand to come perform at little, you know, little clubs in LA. He'll give me four hundred dollars for coming to do the hook. He'll get wanted. J Mustle doesn't do beats at this time either.
Speaker 1: And you knew Master pre beats.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he was just like the DJ from you know, like the little homie that dj His uncle DJ T was the one who was DJing during our high school period, like you know, when I went to Dorty for a second. And it's crazy because now like you know, his nephew's DJing or whatever. So we have him, and you know, Jacazo gets killed. They need somebody because like now def jam sign YG and I'm not trying to do the beats no more. And Muster comes to and he's like, yo, let me get some sounds, like because he's watching me the whole time, and I'm not even like paying attention that he's watching, but yeah, I give him the sounds. And he's linked up with this other dude, Mike Free, and he knows how to work reason, so he's teaching Mustard how to work reason. And you know, next thing, you know, Mustard pulls up on me on the bread in twenty first, like a month later, like I'm about to pass you up on these beats. I'm like, yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to marinate on that. Like I'm thinking, like in my head, because I've only talked to Mustard once, but in my head, I'm thinking like it's just like Dexter in the lab, like some science lab, like he's going to revolutionize and and all this stuff, and you're just like he just picked it up one day and.
Speaker 9: Yeah, like seriously though, like I gave him these sounds and then he made Rack City and after rack City. It was like two chains, I'm different and it was like Whygi's hod tape and like.
Speaker 1: So those are all your patches?
Speaker 9: Yeah man, and my brother nade millions off of it and with the stars on the cylind shout out to Mustard. Man. It was so good to just see like somebody like go from the guy that's like joking about moms and you know, shooting dice and just being like a young asshole and to turn it into like, you know, a super millionaire and like Mustard y g all of all of us, like we all just like you know, it's just like where my mom's crib and making songs in that back room and then all of a sudden, like we're all like we all got our own cribs.
Speaker 1: You know what we all got to say?
Speaker 2: What was your weapon of choice? In terms of production?
Speaker 9: MP and uh I ended up getting all the keyboards bogs to which MP two thousand xcel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's when you got this. People still make fun of me for not letting go of that, but I love it.
Speaker 9: I love it and I still use it. You still, yeah, but.
Speaker 1: Hang on, like James Poison, hear that it's still usable Anywayrette.
Speaker 9: And what else fruity loops? I like foody loops. Now you still use fruity Yeah. Sometimes, like if I'm on the plane and I just have my laptop and I feel like making music and not watching the movie, which I'm not like a TV movie watcher guy like that, unless I'm like.
Speaker 1: Gotta be productive.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Productive. Wait, So as okay, forget my ignorance. I would assume that fruity Loops has updated since the days of Little Brother, right.
Speaker 2: I think so the last time, nine, oh, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, nine, he sent me a bat. I mean, this has been God. This was like twenty thirteen fourteen. He had went back on fruity loops because for a while Knife was using the MP. He left and he went back, he went to the MP. Then he went back to fruity loops, and so he had sent me a fruity some fruit loops batch. And now I think he's strictly on machine. That machine is kind of like what everybody is. I mean, that's the thing now, which is kind of it emulates the MP a lot, But that's I think that's what he's on now. But I think, yeah, the interface has updated a lot.
Speaker 1: Oh two.
Speaker 6: I mean when we were doing it on a compact, I mean shit, I would hope this shit didn't upgraded since then.
Speaker 1: So you so and in making beats? Who were you looking up to when you were well? First of all, when.
Speaker 9: I was looking up to Dyla, I was looking up to Mad Live East Swift from the alcoholicst. I was looking looking up to Black Milk, Doctor Dre Dads, Dillinger. There's so many people, man, did.
Speaker 1: You ever get to meet and idolized to.
Speaker 9: Damn all of them? Except for Mad that I talked to him on the phone and we were supposed to link and then the day came and then he didn't answer.
Speaker 1: That's cool, he just he goes, I want to work with him one day, and like he's probably one of my favorite ever.
Speaker 9: Well, like yeah, everybody, I've been meeting him and it's been a blessed So.
Speaker 1: You are a real head or to the boom?
Speaker 9: Yeah? Yeah, I like all kinds of music though, for sure.
Speaker 1: Like you know, I mean, what's your childhood recollection looking like compared to now? Which is more playless base?
Speaker 9: Yeah? Everything I said, plus like you know, the singing is the singing and stuff as well. One of my favorite singers ever Stokely.
Speaker 1: From in Condition Still.
Speaker 9: I like a lot of gospel. I like Kim Barell, that's my favorite female singer ever. I played in church. I played bass, and like I was learning watching everybody, what was that that you did? Like on the keys? What was that chord on the order?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 9: Then watching the choir director and how they like, you know, come up with these harmonies and give them to people, and like that's how like I do my harmonies when I'm singing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think that's really an underrated part about you. I really dig your vocal arrangers mans dope.
Speaker 9: So I definitely studied like everywhere I went and like picked up something.
Speaker 6: And all your music like your self taught like you never took formal lessons on any of the instruments.
Speaker 9: No, not really. I did take like a class in the ninth grade, like just piano, and it really to me it was just like, Okay, now I know how to read a little bit, but I can figure it out anyway, so it's not going to really.
Speaker 8: I love your answer. When I asked Ty what instrum? How many instruments does he play?
Speaker 11: He was like well, if it has strings and you.
Speaker 8: Know, you can play it with some sticks, and what was the other one that you said? It's keys and keys.
Speaker 2: I'm hitting it.
Speaker 9: Exactly.
Speaker 8: Did you guys ever get to me because I know he's like one of.
Speaker 9: Your I shook his hair one time at a party late night in LA And then one time I went to the Saturday Night Live after party with Yay and all of a sudden, Prince hoped on You were DJing that night, and all of a sudden, Prince hoped on stage and Taylor Swift right.
Speaker 1: What ye not? Taylor? I'm trying to who was it, Yike, I'm trying to.
Speaker 8: Age it was a lot of Prince parties.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, I know, I know. Oh at the forty forty? You at the forty Yeah?
Speaker 8: Is that like the forty four?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: We need Okay, No, No Saturday Night Live, because in my mind I was like, oh God, he thinks I'm someone else I know, and I was like, wait a minute, this does sound familiar. No, Saturday Night Live had their fortieth anniversary and that's why, you know what's weird because the freaking NBA All Star Game was the same day. Yeah, so I planned on going to the Saturday Night Live fortieth Anniversary special. Yeah, but I also had the dj the NBA All Star thing at New York, so I did, like up until halftime, I had to DJ something and then run to thirty Rocks. So I totally missed the fact that Kanye was the musical guests at SNL forty. Yeah, what do he was on his back? I forgot what song he performed wolves? Was it Wolf? Yeah? Again, he did wolve. He laid on his Yeah, he did something where he laid on the ground. Okay, yeah, I came in like right when I was getting getting done, but I totally forgot that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that was my only time ever getting to see him perform, but he just got on. I think was that random or was that planned?
Speaker 1: Oh? That was super random, Like everything that happened that night, I didn't even know that. Yeah, okay, people just ghosted and ghost out, but no, none, none of it was planned. And yeah, that that night was super magical. Like Prince basically, Jimmy just said I think Dave Chappelle, WHI spining Jimmy's air, Like I think I just saw Prince walked in and it was just like I think he just walked in and they willed it and then Prince like floated to the stage. He just floated to the stage. He did Let's Go Crazy for ten minutes and then floated out of there just as quick as he came in.
Speaker 6: Yeah, how did you the connection with Sarah come about? Because you because the end of joint like, that's I mean, I love that record.
Speaker 9: I appreciate it so chords Mahomie. He was like, uh, he played it for me one day and then I ended up meeting them through Steve Thundercat and uh, we just went over to the Saurah House that was like up in Silver Lake and we just vibed and we just kept on making like song after song after song Me Shafique tass O Mas and they end up using those two and as many those are just the big homies.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 9: They just taught me a lot.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 9: They took me on my first Europe run. That was how I first met year.
Speaker 2: Was that where they took the picture.
Speaker 9: And that's crazy.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 11: You've been in some situations that make you go I mean, even though you were born into you know, musical royalty, at some point you got to look around and go whoa, Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The thing I know is about your journey.
Speaker 6: Like for you, you say that you were mainly focused on making beats. When did it become clear to you that you're singing really was the thing.
Speaker 1: I guess that was gonna take you on top.
Speaker 9: I just had to get confident in it. Uh that one situation to get back to it. When Ygi got his first like ten bands and gave me four and gave Musty four and I saw him walk away with the rest of that money, it did something to me. You know. I felt like, all right, it's time to like get out here and like figure it out and do my own artist thing. So I put out The House on the Hill, which was my first solo tape, and that had this song called All Star Wars. My homie Fuego had sampled Swedish House Mafia and we flipped it on some like la like drums and you know, tempo or whatever, and I did a straight smash to it and it took off like on the radio stations like from you know, the whole California, Arizona, moving on to Texas, and then it got shut down. We got sued for putting it on iTunes without clearing it with Swedish house Mafia, which I thought it was clear, but somebody lied.
Speaker 1: And you know, I was going to say, how are you able to move mixtape stuff to mainstream radio level on?
Speaker 9: Because I already had tutored and booted and already had by this time, already had all the DJs now because from tutor and Booted, I'm performing at all the any event whatever, we're there, like we're just pulling up to make them everybody.
Speaker 1: Who's your who's your god? Like when when when you when you got a new jowin that you're ready to yeah put out? I mean now it's different because you're an established you know, who's the person.
Speaker 9: For l A? Like who who? I always tell everyone, like who changed it for us? And like who gave us another chance? Because when you look at it, like after the game, there was no l A. You know what I'm saying on radio period. So DJ Charisma my homegirl out there, she is the one, like who got like everybody's music played. I feel like shout out to everybody else, but definitely DJ Charisma, He's.
Speaker 1: The one who did it for She's the one who different everybody. So that's important to you for LA just still have an identity, to still have a sound, to still have a figurehead representing because I just feel like, now, you know, between at least for my prime era where it was dangerous, between nine and no, it was life ThReD and you know, it's like east coast, West coast, you know, and then suddenly, you know, after after two thousand and two, just stop being so regional. And I know that the game's arrival. Yeah, the the Internet made everything regional or not regional anymore, and so you know, I know that's why the game was really being celebrated because it was just like, okay, we're still you know, but for the generation that you represent, even though you're kind of more like heartwise because you came in so young, you're you're ahead on our level, but you also representing the next generation millennials or whatnot.
Speaker 12: Like.
Speaker 1: Is that still an important thing to have?
Speaker 9: Like yeah, I think it's important to be yourself wherever you're from and to definitely represent your sound and your people and like, no, we're not all the same just because the Internet is like no, like I ain't trying to hear that. Like if you come from New York. You're supposed to sound like you're from New York, Like, why would you sound like you're from l Atlantic because we all have the Internet or Atlanta. That's corny in the streets.
Speaker 1: I was happy because at least for when you came out, I was shocked that. I mean, your your your first major single was like ninety eight beats per minute, which as a deep you know, just during the period between like two thousand and six and kind of now, uh, you know, everything was you know, trap level seventy b pre pms and slower, and so I felt like, Okay, you're defiantly going against what mainstream expectations are and you're keeping it at that level. I mean, I'm just at a place where it's like ninety five to one hundred and ten.
Speaker 6: By like cookout jams, like it's like you get two step two it.
Speaker 1: It was. It was actually danceable, you know what I mean.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's always been you know. I guess like when you think about the LA sound, it would be doctor dre Quick, you know, when you think back back then and now for us, you know, we had to like when you're in the when you go to these LA parties, when you go to these Like I would say one of the things that runs the cultures to to this day has always been Timmy the Clown, right, and Tommy to Clown is like this guy that comes through with like this uh you know van or whatever and has speakers on it and these clowns get out and their clown dance. It's like everybody's music still yeah, still started when I was a kid, Like, hm, there's always been.
Speaker 8: Tommy the Clown going to parties out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Then wait then that that that ended up going into the what do you call that? The crump crumping and like they had a movie for it. Yeah, and if you pay attention, like they just speed up everything and like that's the LA sound. And then like even like the Bay, like their sound is the same thing, like sped up. Like, so that's where we come from. You there's that music too, you know.
Speaker 11: But it must make you proud R and B wise, because it feels like the West Coast are really taking chances with R and B. You know, between you Anderson, you mentioned Dundeecat, like do you feel that do you feel like an R and B and soul music?
Speaker 1: Did?
Speaker 11: Y'all are kind of doing things a little differently over there, and it's working.
Speaker 9: I feel like we're all doing different things. Anderson is a movie. Shout out, shout out to I'm so proud of like him and everything that he's doing. That he's sticking to his stuff, emon o'mari.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why, man, I love you. That's my bro.
Speaker 9: He's sticking to his stuff and like killing it so many people.
Speaker 1: Man. So as far as.
Speaker 9: The guy Miguel, shout out to, Miguel, the album is a.
Speaker 1: Movie, so how okay? So for the title R and B, which today is so blurred, I mean because you know, now even when Chris Brown is in the news and depends on which news wire is reporting rap star Chris Brown. Yeah, I don't say rapper Chris Brown, the pop star.
Speaker 9: After the next game last night to put rapper Tie Dollands on the screen.
Speaker 1: Well, that's why I was going to ask, like, how, because I just feel that black culture has just gotten sort of golf defaulted into rap culture. Everybody's app Do you feel as though, even though I mean, your music is as edgy as you know it's it's so immersed in hip hop, but you're clearly singer, like do you still feel like you need to hold that flag for R and B or what it represents.
Speaker 9: Or is it just feel like I feel like there's real rappers out here and like they deserve to be like called rappers, not me.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 9: I don't even deserve to be in that conversation. I sing for show for show, and I would love if people would just recognize that. But my boy, Rosenborg Rosenberg, he told me, he was like, Yo, your name is like kind of rap people.
Speaker 11: Real guy, and if you just take a picture and you're like R and B do no, he could be, he could be.
Speaker 1: You could be the way wigans two point Oh.
Speaker 9: Yeah, man, I was. I was coming out of this smoke shop the other day, this like old bald white dude, like he's bringing the boxes off of a truck and the trucks are like this juice. I'm like, yo, what's in there? Because it says Sangria but it looks like a kid's drink. He was like, nah, it is a kid's drink. It's just that's the company. I'm like, all right. He was like, you know what, you look like? You look like that star like them guys from the eighties that were singing that song that they weren't really singing, and he was talking about that they were singers, right, so I look they're like, look like.
Speaker 6: They actually put out another If we're really gonna they were would go off without a hitch today like it would be. Yeah, they died for.
Speaker 11: Us everything, Manny, Because I was gonna ask time, since everybody's doing the nineties thing, is it certain groups that you just don't touch? I was thinking was one of those, like musically since people are borrowing so much and you know you do what with.
Speaker 9: Jack because like I think my old manager calls he wrote that song for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we had him on the show.
Speaker 6: He told us that whole story like crazy. He was like whull circle girl and the ship was on TV.
Speaker 1: The radio came on. He was in bed what you can man?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so you like following U He was saying about the nineties. So on the I'm I'm tripping. I can't remember the temele, but that's the one you simple only you U?
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, my new song on the X feature on Yeah Only by one twelve it's funny Bongo and hit maker. They they sent me this song and the beat it sounded like sounded like mustard, did it? You know what I mean. I'm like, bro, if I want a mustard.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, wait, all right, I'm so glad you said that because when I first got it, I was waiting for his tag, right because usually when I DJ, like when I DJ, I always go like two counts before mystle on the beat, and I was looking. I spent at least three minutes looking for the tag, like, oh, maybe I missed it, Maybe I missed it. And then it just hit me, oh maybe he didn't do it. Man.
Speaker 9: So I'm like, you know, if I want a must beat, I'll go get a mustard beat, like I don't want it. But then I ended up, you know, according to it, and I started loving it. And then I'm like, all right, just take off the mustard drums, bro, Like, let's just bring back the original.
Speaker 1: Original joint, you know, a joint.
Speaker 6: And yeah, I'm curious about how because as someone that grew up in the nineties, I always thought of the nineties as an era where it's almost kind of like you had to be there, you know what I mean. Like I just like KNW Jack swing as much as I loved it. I didn't think it translated into now, like you know what I mean, it's just like versus like the seventies when Castle sampling seventies, shit, I got it, when Castle sampling eighty shit, I got that. But the nineties just seemed like the most unlikely eraror to be sampled.
Speaker 2: But yeah, but like y'all, I'm doing.
Speaker 9: It like it's kind of hard to like sample it because the swing that's when they was using that word as like you said, Jack say, it's like a little Corney baseline exactly, So like that is not going to work right now, I don't think. But the hook melodies and like you know.
Speaker 2: So that's what is drawing people generation to it.
Speaker 11: Okay, the harmonies in my head, I'm okay, yeah, okay, I got it now, Yeah.
Speaker 6: Because I heard you. I mean I was listening to it and I was like, he's singing over only you. But I'm like, man, like that's I never would have thought that that could be reappropriated into now. I mean, but I mean, the ship is dope.
Speaker 11: Though somebody will figure it out, I still appreciate the Jack didn I think I think I've read.
Speaker 1: At one point I didn't realize this that were you not almost going to sign which chea sounds uh. At the time, I think Dominic Trenier had a label he used to manage D'Angelo or someone associated with Venus Brown. Was he was part of that label or whatever? Like were you at not? At one point in the Okay, then there was.
Speaker 6: A rumor yeah, yeah, I was curious to know. So, I mean, because you kind of cover a lot of ground in genres, So how did you decide on Well, first of all, how did you and whiz Lin c Cup and how did you decide on the label that could say, Okay, this kid does this, he does this, he does this, he does this. And they were like, Okay, we can figure out how to market this because I mean, you can do R and B, you can do hip hop, you can do like house or whatever.
Speaker 1: And for a.
Speaker 6: Lot of labels, whereas as a music fan, for us, that's like Wonderland, but for a label that shit can be a kiss of death.
Speaker 1: Say, like, what the fuck do we do with all this?
Speaker 9: So after after the House of the Hill, I go to death Jam back to Jeff Jam right, and at the time there's Karen Quack. I think Maxicu's just left, says Karen Quack. And there's Chris and Akute right and I played in my record and.
Speaker 2: You're playing Beach House.
Speaker 9: Beach House right right before I drop it, the first one. Yeah, I mean House on the Hill before I drop it. And they're like, Yo, it's incredible, it's dope. You got some crazy songs. But it's like, Yo, you got a house record here, you got you know this, you know slow song, you got this l a song here you got. It's like, you got so many things. Bring me back a project that's just like cohesive, like one thing, you know. So I go and make Beach House one. But when I make Beach House one, I I get cool with this dude, Sean Barn and Atlantic, and there's this one song that I didn't include on Beach House one, and it was called Fumble, and I end up giving, and since that song went and they ended up making a single, ended up going up. Atlantic was like, all right, you know, let's talk. So then I have Paranoid and you know or not, and everything went crazy. Beach House one, Beach House two. Okay, So Beach House one, Wiz calls he DMS me on the Twitter, and he's like, mind, you already met him through Terrace Martin during the after the time Corey days, but back to making beats, trying to figure it out. He hits me on the DM on Twitter and he's like, Yo, we've been playing Beach House one on this tour, the whole tour, meeting the guys. When I get back to La, let's work. He ends up coming back and we make like eleven songs in one night and.
Speaker 1: Uh twenty four hours, yeah, like less.
Speaker 9: Than twenty four hours.
Speaker 1: How do you work that test?
Speaker 9: Cuz like literally literally, like if you have a like a pack right now in your laptop and we put on the mic, I'm gonna just lay hook after hook after hook after hook after hook after hook after hook after then we're gonna come back. I'm gonna see which one is worthy of a you know, a verse, you know.
Speaker 1: And then so that's your songwriting process, Like you listen to the beat and then you'll concentrate on what the hook is first.
Speaker 9: Your hook or verse like whatever just comes out, like just put it on. I'm going there, just you know, blaze up and figure it out. And then some are great, some are good and worthy of like selling to a feature and.
Speaker 1: Are all right, give me so give me an example for a song like Paranoid. Yeah, you're first hearing the beat and you're just at a live mike.
Speaker 9: A Paranoid. That was like the third song I made on that beat. I knew that beat was so hard and like certain times you'll make a song that's just like whatever, but you feel like that beat is so crazy that I need to give it another, you know, another swing. And then I was like the third one I did on that and I just knew it.
Speaker 1: It felt like the beat felt epic enough that you had to put yeah.
Speaker 9: Like when I when then when that hook came, it reminded me of when I was a kid and I first heard like Poison by BBB. I felt like I tapped into the this is hard, but I'm singing you know what I'm saying. Like it didn't feel R and B. It didn't feel like you had to feel like how when you say you look at me and it's like, yo, you look this way, but you're supposed to be R and B. Like I felt like, yeah, I can look like this and still sing and like be me.
Speaker 8: By the way that was me, I see whatever you want to be black man?
Speaker 1: So how long will you let the how many minutes or days or whatever will you let time go by before you're just like, it's not coming to me. Let me go to the next track.
Speaker 9: And then as soon as it's just as soon as it's not coming, then I go to the next track. That doesn't mean it's like not a good track, it's just just not right at that second, it just wasn't meant to be.
Speaker 8: That's what I felt, like, are we doing to order?
Speaker 11: I just had I have such a Horses in the Stable questions.
Speaker 1: Horses in the Stable? Yeah, okay, that's.
Speaker 2: A title you mean, oh the song?
Speaker 11: Okay, okay, yeah, the sight of the fact that, yeah, I thought, I know, sometimes get mad, we break the lineage.
Speaker 8: I know we was going beach house and keep going.
Speaker 11: But I have conversations because I was thinking at a random thought about horses in the stable and coming up with that, and I was thinking to myself on the back of the twelve year old daughter conversation, I was like, in twenty eighteen with horses in the stable still, so.
Speaker 9: What I've recorded is still now. The song is so great. You know what My Homegirl tis Hymen came at the end of the album cycle of GC and she was like, I got this song. I wrote it for you and I think, like you should record it. And I'm like, yo, I'm done.
Speaker 8: That's her, that's her song.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'm like I'm done, Like but like, let me hear it. And she played it and it was so hard that they're mixing in the other room and I'm like, you know what, just get me a mic in here, and I go on the vocal booth, set up my laptop and like the little protuls and recorded it and like added my own little thing to it and it was it. I'm like, I'm putting it on the album, just like clear, get it clear, like however, and like they got it clear and it's one of my favorite songs. I think the people love it. But guess what. I walk in the main meeting at Atlantic to where it's like the three bosses are Craig Calman, Julie and Kaiser. So, Julie, what the are you referring to women as horse as.
Speaker 11: Listen because you don't know the songs like horses to the stable. But I can't ride, But you can't say you can't.
Speaker 9: Ride listen to it again. It's not like as bad as you think it is, like, but shout out to Julie and you know, Dalla is not a misogynist. Dollar does not hate women like I love women and like I love my daughter.
Speaker 8: It's weird.
Speaker 1: Do you have a lot of lasses with Julian's world famous for those.
Speaker 9: For that, you know.
Speaker 8: But it's a weird time though, right, because it's kind of.
Speaker 11: Like you're right, like especially now because it's an independent woman and everything. But I still like a good you know, n w A you know, don't matter, just don't bite it or whatever.
Speaker 8: So my head.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, I roll like that's the song.
Speaker 1: That's all you've been that was that was.
Speaker 8: My go to it.
Speaker 11: It's all good, okay, the world's biggest I think it's just like a but you still want to make a.
Speaker 9: Culture thing like our songs, like like just on some you know, that's just how we'll be talking. It's nothing that bad. It is kind of bad, but exactly what.
Speaker 8: You learn because it is what it is. Culture is kind of like this.
Speaker 9: What you learn, like but a lot of people, yeah, it is, so that's cool though, I'm happy for the next chapter.
Speaker 1: Beach Out four, right, yeah, my sister.
Speaker 2: Man, please don't go hotep on Beach Out four.
Speaker 1: Please keep it.
Speaker 6: Ratchet hole tep down. You collaborated with on the stealing Joints. I mentioned it in my role call. But how did you record that because the vocals on it, it sounds like it was separate, yeah or what.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it was separate. It sounds like you were just in an open room.
Speaker 9: And it's just this is one studio in Burdbank called Wayman sound don't steal my studio anyway, Wayman. I can't remember.
Speaker 1: I think I've been at the studio.
Speaker 9: It's right there on Bird like nineteen oh eight, Burbank.
Speaker 1: I think I know what you're talking about.
Speaker 9: To get paid, but like it's a solo like one man's studio. Only one artist can be there in there at a time because there's only one room. And I like that because certain studios in LA, like people will find out you there because me, I don't even put my name on the door anymore. It just says private session. But people will find out you're in there and just feel entitled, like oh that's the yeah, Like I hate that. So now you know I have to pay for a security guard to be out there, which is booth Like. I don't have to spend that extra money for security standing out here. I'm not Michael nobody like that, but i have to because I like my privacy when I'm working so I can get things done, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: And is that you playing acoustic on that one?
Speaker 9: Nah? That Was's Homeboy who you know she originally made that.
Speaker 1: Song with Okay?
Speaker 2: And is that you on the or is that Babyface playing.
Speaker 9: Solid?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Gotcha, I'll let our audience know that. Uh, I'm kind of considering. I mean, Tis is definitely going to play a major, major role in this next.
Speaker 9: Amazing. It's amazing.
Speaker 1: I mean we did, we did. We did a good I mean we had like a mammoth five day like twenty four hour street just sleepover at Electric Ladies Studios like sometime last year, in which how many songs are on the hard drive like at least three hundred?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, there's like one hundred and twenty five like full songs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I just mean sketches or whatever. Yeah, another two hundred sketches or something. Yeah, so it's like three hundred total. But is definitely gonna you know, she will be a major presence. I love her.
Speaker 9: I love Gray, human being, great soul all that.
Speaker 11: Can we talk about you as you mentioned him, but you kind of did it fast and we actually interviewed baby Face and I asked him about doing a song with you because I just thought, WHOA, I was surprised, not you know, just not super surprised, but a pleasantly surprised on your side. How do you can you tell a story of that and where you're scary? You just was like, I want baby Face, and that's what it is.
Speaker 9: Yeah, man, the story of time Babyface is super legend. Did I came in? It was, you know, already set up. He's there by himself, him and his other boy, and then his other boy leaves and we're chilling like he's just playing guitar riffs. I'm like, that's dope, just freestyling. And who else is in there with me? I think my sister, my assistant at the time or whatever. So no, Nate, Nate, my homie, Nate Nate three D. So Nate's rolling up for me and I'm just freestyling and ship he passes me the joint I lighted all was setting me and face was just vib okay. That's the one. That's the one right there. He starts, he starts to play solid and I start coming up with the hook, and all of a sudden, his boy walks in and he's like, yo, yo, yo, y face, don't want you to smoke. He was like, you know, just come out here, come out here. I'm like, wait a minute, I'm sitting here in the man's face and he didn't saying nothing. So I'm like, how the fuck did he like sitting on this dude Like he had like telepathic powers or something.
Speaker 1: So he like sits on his left shoulder with a bad.
Speaker 9: Time, and like called him in there and he told me don't smoke. But that was cool, you know his face like all all respect, I just like had a non smoking session and the song came out cool.
Speaker 2: And he had nothing but great things to say about your inview.
Speaker 9: Yeah he's amazing. And then like he shouted up to the video in a stretched limo, what was this old?
Speaker 8: Yeah, Like and y'all was in a desert now we.
Speaker 9: Was like by the beach somewhere like off of Ventura County. But like that was his only requirement to send him you know, stress straight face like.
Speaker 11: And it was never any thought to have him sing at all because I always thought that was interesting too, Like.
Speaker 9: I wanted him to, but he felt like I think he did backgrounds on there. He did, but he just wanted me to just do my thing. He was like, Yo, that's it. And I couldn't believe he was like loving my lines and he recorded me and everything like like I'm like trying to get him the vocal produce me and making a big face song, but he was just loving everything I did. So we got back in to work on Beach House three. I didn't end up using that song, but we're gonna get back in again. I love working with him, he loves working with me.
Speaker 2: How did the Jacketed session come about?
Speaker 9: The US jacket Edge? Straight up, I've known h jagget Edge through uh Me poond. Yeah, you're from at.
Speaker 8: I went to college, so.
Speaker 1: She's from every show. It's crazy.
Speaker 9: Yeah. So once I got that song done, there was just like one line that I said about Jagged Edge and you know, one of them on the song. So I called him just like to see if we can make it happen. And next thing you know, they sent it.
Speaker 8: Back like it was all their kids.
Speaker 11: Was like, Daddy, you gotta.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 6: I once read a friend of mine, she's interviewed a couple of times, re Becca Haye coach, she's right, La, And I read the joint you did with her. I guess it's maybe like years ago, but you were talking about how you understand your pops more now that you have a daughter. Yeah, what's that journey been like for you? Like your relationship with your dad as a.
Speaker 2: Kid, Like.
Speaker 9: Say, if your parents break up and mom's is always like talking down like you know everything wrong about him, and it just makes you hate him more and more and more and more and more. And then I have a daughter, and then the difference between me and her mother, like and everything she's saying, and I'm sure she's sang like all kinds of crazy stuff, but like, yet I've been able to hold a you know, cool relationship with my daughter. But just seeing that, I figured out, like, oh, okay, this is why I was like, you know, listening to her, it wasn't really like how it was between us. So that's why that's why I said that. But I was wrong, and my pops definitely is the reason why I'm here today and shout out to my Pops. I couldn't have done it without you.
Speaker 2: What's your relationship?
Speaker 9: Like?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 9: We're great. He's always you know, put me onto different things he's into, and I'm putting him onto all the new stuff and any questions about you know, his you know, the old stuff, he can always be right there to answer. Like the other day, I was looking for that tonight is the night that Betty right, and I couldn't figure it out who it was and called him like, who's that song with that? What is that singing? I'm like, you know, want to be like good love, oh Betty right? Like see, so Pops is always there like for those moments and for you know, just being a dad.
Speaker 6: On your records, you got TC. So just to clarify, we were speaking offline like before. So little t C that's your cousin that is with you now, and then big TC that's your brother that's locked up. He's on well, he's on he's on campaign and he's on free he see as well.
Speaker 2: And that's him singing.
Speaker 1: How is he? First?
Speaker 2: Is he a older brother?
Speaker 1: Younger brother?
Speaker 2: He's younger? Did y'all? I don't know when he got Like, how did y'all ever clad when he was out?
Speaker 9: Yeah? We uh always like just sung around the house and like recorded songs together and like just tried to, you know, makee groups. He would have this thing. I would have my thing, and you know, when my parents broke up, he went his way. I went my way. And it's like, it's definitely important to who you hang around, man, because I felt like if he would have been hanging around the people I was hanging around, and I would have hang hanged around the people he was hanging around, it might.
Speaker 6: Have been you know, because he's a I mean, I really like his voice and super talented. Y'all sound like brothers, like he sounds like you. But y'all it's dope, Like it's y'all sound definitely like each other.
Speaker 9: He might be better than me, man, shout out to bro.
Speaker 12: Is getting worse before is getting better.
Speaker 9: It's like the.
Speaker 12: People got a curse. Can nobody stay together? I can get my people down. It's killing off each other. No, ain't no justice for the brothers.
Speaker 9: No, he's fighting a life Susans for something that he didn't do. So with free TC if if if anything you know, we rose awareness for sure around the world for the social injustice and everything that's going on. And like I said, I took every bit of the money I made for that project and put it back into his case. So God willing, you know, we're gonna get some results real soon. Uh d Lok, who was also featured on Free TC. He was right next you know, he was with my brother and he's out now he's out here with us. I started my label, the Movement, and I got d Look, I got TC, I got twenty four hours, I got Joe Moses, I got Tish and we are here.
Speaker 6: So the No Justice record was that and the autobiography is that? Like what happened with what he's singing and what you're singing?
Speaker 9: Yeah, we definitely suck up on it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, I know you have to be sensitive about what you can say. But I was listening to it. I was like, hold up, do you know do you niggas sound like they telln't truth? It don't sound like just something a song, you know what I mean. I'm like, it sounds real.
Speaker 9: Yeah. Man, it was crazy. Like once I feel like once they get on you, they're just be on you and like they don't want to look stupid for being on you still figure out a way to like just make it solid, you know, without it even being solid, and he got, you know, put in the twist. But like I said, we're working on it, and God willing it's gonna happen. I swear we're working on it. That song is everything and free TC went gold finally, So shout out to Team Dollan and everybody that streamed it and bought it and hopefully purchase We're going to free TC.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the most important part running running a team. Now. Actually, I want to I want to bring this back to Sarah because I'll say that for me, one of the major most major disappointments I've ever had was watching their situation implode because for me, I always felt as though, UH tribes people people that move, people that move together UH can get to their destination faster than just individual artists. And if you look at the history, especially with hip hop, tribes move together. In other words, I mean Wu Tang Clan, you have to associate it with the individual artists method Man Redman, Yeah, like all of them as individual artists movement as a unit, and even for people that are not part of a movement necessarily, Like look at look at Puff's era. You might call the Jiggy era or whatever, but you still think of Flossie Rappers, you think of j you think of Puff, Fossy Kim like, and they all moved together the same with Native tongues, which was groups of groups tribe. They lost so old jungle brothers. And so when when Sarah came along, especially with them and their association with Jay Davey Georgia, Yeah, with Georgia Ann and all that stuff, I.
Speaker 9: Was like, I was just listening to Georgia like all Morning's amazing, man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's like for me, I was so elated because I was just like great, Like someone gets the whole like gathering of the tribes together and and move it along. And then like, I mean, I have my thoughts on why who I mean, I'm not you know, like my fear was that because when I saw their approach, I was like, yo, they're so fresh. But I also knew, you know, like post j there's well sweat well swagger Jack and sort of became legal in terms of I mean you could say swagger Jack or whatever, but like where you just drink someone's milkshake and you know, they fresh, let me, let me see what they got going on, and then you know what I'm saying. And for me, I was like, and I told them, I said, yo, just I went you all to concentrate that a lot of people are gonna look at y'all like, yo, y'all the new thing out. I want to be down. I wouldn't be down. And I was like, just ignore it, get to the goal post first, and then branch start your associations and that bill and then kind of when Ya came along, I was afraid. I was like, oh man, I'm afraid. And I called what happened. I called what happened, and it's like they got excited and then and that album for three years and then yeah, I'm not gonna say the same. Also with uh with with uh, well, what would have been the odd future movement and that whole thing. So watching that situation implode, first of all, how did that affect you?
Speaker 10: Really?
Speaker 1: Just like, uh, well, if that did, weren't, let me move on and you know, start my own thing, Like how do you keep your tribe and your family together and working and active?
Speaker 9: You see, like I've been through many tribes. Man, I've been through many tribes. I had to just keep on working when other people like give up and feel like, you know what, I put my all into this, I'm not about to do it again. Like I still have some more you know what I'm saying. Yeah, So now I found like the right drive, like the right team, and like that's that's important.
Speaker 6: Now because I mean your stuff, man, Like I want I was going to ask you was just like with the time Corey stuff, with that situation not working out. I know a lot of casts that would have called it quits right then, like because y'all were making some cool shit and a lot of times the thing that I want people to just I guess I kind of understand about your story. Like a big reason why we want to get you on the show is because I think like a lot of people don't really know it, Like they just see you as like the hit maker that where you are now, but they really don't know your grind. And like I remember the first time I played I played and diff for like a friend of mine and I'm like, yo, you know who that is?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 6: He's like I'm like, Yo, that's tied do I'm like, no, that's Todd. That was before he was who he is. But this has been a process. You know what I'm saying, it's been it's been a grinds. It's really been a grind.
Speaker 1: So how did you not get discouraged to? Because I knew people now that even on their fifth attempt at climbing mountain they can't you.
Speaker 9: Know where I fucked up? Because like I put so much time into like doing music and learning music and only caring about music that that's like what I knew how to do, so that if I didn't do this, and it was like all right, okay, I'm selling weed and I'm doing all that, but like this doesn't really make me happy. I really have to kick it around these weirdos.
Speaker 1: Like like.
Speaker 9: You know, so I just stuck to this. And then once once YG's things started taking off, that was like so inspiring and then like all right, I don't want to make pizza anymore. Jacazo died then must have started taking off, and that was some inspiring. It's like, oh shit, we could do this. Like it was timing, Like I just came in at the right time, and you know.
Speaker 1: So technically all right, just treat me like a five year old with this question. Uh yeah, I'm lieing no. But in my head, like I thought that Mustard was starting a crust of a new movement. Yeah, but is he still rolling with the original cast of characters that came in the door with him, with YG, with you and anyone else that was associated with all of his sonic assault of twenty thirteen coming in the door? Like, are you still going to work continue to Yeah?
Speaker 9: I think like the sonics are changing and like everything is. You know, Mustard got his whatever he's doing YG. You know he's got four hundred Mustard's ten summers. I got the movement, and we come together as full hundred summers the movement. We're gonna work, Ygi and Mustard working right now. I just said, wyt GI's some new music. When I was out in Dubai like two weeks ago, me and Neil linked up and we just like made songs for a week. We said, wy G something.
Speaker 6: So what's your creative presence? Like do you write and record every day? Is it just kind of when you feel it?
Speaker 9: Like whenever I see something like this, I get excited.
Speaker 8: Man, Like the people, the room.
Speaker 9: The people, everything, like it's like this a couple million dollars right here, you know. Well besides that, like he was like.
Speaker 6: Oh man, I could we look at it? Like man, right right, man? You do most of your recordings still at the crib. What's your setup at setup?
Speaker 9: Home? Setup? Is uh the setups everywhere? So now, like I finally bought a drum set and like I got it fully miked, and I got a baby grand and it's fully miked, And I've been buying a little drums from everywhere I go. I just came back from Kenya about to bring something back.
Speaker 2: You're performing in King just I want can I tell y'all.
Speaker 1: The like Live Nation is really planning their feet in the African market now, So like.
Speaker 9: I'm wondering why they've been so late, But it's cool late why they've been so late on bringing me there because I know I had that many fans, Like it was like five thousand people out there going.
Speaker 1: It was just like initially, I mean there's always been a desire for artists to go over there, but you would have to have a lot of money. Like there was a point where I think, like when mis education was really popping, like Lauren and the roots. We're going to tour Africa like in ninety, nineteen thousand whatever. But because there wasn't a Live Nation, there's not a promoter there and.
Speaker 6: The governments real money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot of funny money over there. Something happened, right, It was like a lot of scamage going on. Let's just be a PC.
Speaker 2: But give me a soci security Mber Prince.
Speaker 1: If I can tell you like the six closed Minosa Gar moments we had with Africa. But then like suddenly, like I guess like two thousand and nine, like all of a sudden, like Buster was constantly going to Africa. I'm like, what you know that we don't know? And suddenly like Live Nation has reps over there and they come back. So now, yeah, like Africa is now an option for artists to go to now.
Speaker 8: Employing people, not just flying people in the best energy ever?
Speaker 1: Contin have you done South Africa yet?
Speaker 9: I haven't, Man, they want it, so I'll be out there, so y'all don't.
Speaker 2: Now you'll kill it over there there. They'll love you.
Speaker 9: We're going to.
Speaker 13: Legos and different You gotta you gotta go visit the shrine if you if you go to legos you gotta go to to fail out shrine like it's still very active and.
Speaker 1: Still a musical, spiritual experience.
Speaker 8: So are familiar. I just want to hear you were.
Speaker 6: What's your what's your micael choice like at the crib, like what might you like to use?
Speaker 9: I have a Yeah, my voice is like hell, the bottom heavy, so that brings the brightness out. But I have every mic I got the noimans just in case whoever comes over. I'm a gear head for sure. Then I got the old way of pro tools where everybody feels like you need the full rack. Then I have the laptop with the duet, and of course like what I like to record on the quick way because you get the same You just take it to the big studio and put whatever you want to put on it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 9: That's about it.
Speaker 2: When do you think you you mentioned earlier.
Speaker 9: Eight guitars acoustics. Yeah, we can have fun, man, all right, I want to buy a roads next. I don't have one.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm buying the roads. That's that's so crazy, because like you're moving Like all my homies that are keyboard players, they swear by like all the virtual entries. I'm gettings like I just got a Crodles Wait, yeah, like they I was watching video with a Fred Fred Greg filling games and he was playing it was some new virtual joint and he says that's like his main thing now, like the roads like they Well, it's so difference.
Speaker 1: What's so dope is that the patches on these keyboards now are song titles. I saw, yeah story, but yesterday I'm still this is this is four weeks after I did that. I g story, Like the song titles are endless, Like I was only in one uh what do you call it? One channel? I didn't realize that it's letters A through G. I was only in the letter. So yesterday I was in C and it was like, I mean they had the funky They literally had funky worm Chris Cross. I'm sorry, Chris Cross jump patch, but literally g thing but matching it, matching it no for I mean, it makes it'll put programmers out. Well, not that programmers like Stevie Wonder's guys are yeah, it's not like they're they're in business to program anymore. But now it's like there's literally no excuse for you to not find the song. You just type in the song title and you know what it is? You got your patches.
Speaker 6: I was reading that you were saying, we're working on Beach House three. There was a lot of records you had to turn down in order to get it, and I was curious to know, how do you how do you determine what is for you versus what if for someone else? Or or like, how do you make that determination of this song? This feature is worth my time versus.
Speaker 2: You know what fuck that I'm gonna do this it's.
Speaker 9: All and how it makes me feel at the time and what I'm on And for Beach House three, I started with Message in a Bottle, which is the last song, which a lot of the homies be like, yo, you tapped into the time Corey vibes, thanks man. So anyway, I started with that, so I felt like everything had to be as good as that, and I knew I wanted to do a lot more singing so I could like get this hold the rapper tie dollar sign thing you know away from me. What came next after Message in a Bottle, we did saw My Okay, saw My Famous and side effects. That's all my homies. Poo Bear, yeah from fifteen hundred, He's not fifteen. He's just like solo, but he's amazing. I've known him for a while. He's been in the game for a minute as well. He wrote Peaches and Cream for one twelve Back of the Day okay, and like he also wrote justin Biebers versus on Desko.
Speaker 1: Oh he's good for a minute.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 9: Shout out to Poober.
Speaker 6: What was the difference between the like the campaign and uh and beat outs? Because at first Campaign was a mixtape and then Atlantic put it out, Like how do you differentiate between what's a tape and what's an official album.
Speaker 9: I would have loved it to count as the album.
Speaker 2: That's some of my favorite shit is on campaign, But.
Speaker 9: I guess I didn't do my business right at the time. I'm learning teachers. Okay, you have to like go through the album cycle with the lawyers and all that, but before you can't just give them a record and be like this is the album whatever?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 9: Cool?
Speaker 1: So so you basically said here and they were like, no mixtape.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Like because I wanted to drop it immediately, and like they.
Speaker 11: Were like, if you want to drop it immediately, you have to do the mixtape, you know.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Like it just couldn't get cleared in time or whatever the case. So you know, it came out as a tape and still I had campaign on it and Zaddy and you know some songs that people love so shout out everybody the stream campaign.
Speaker 1: But does but does that also mean uh that you get to control your uh mixtapes? Like do they own the master to the mixtape? Or is it just like like, how how is that I've never released a mixtape?
Speaker 8: Wow, that's fascinating. Maybe it's time.
Speaker 2: That's a different eraror it's just yeah, that's that's the movement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah it is. But I meant like, do you get to own your masters and everything if it's a mixtape? Yeah, okay, but they'll promote it for you, yeah, just so that okay. So it's sort of like them handing out the flyer at the end of the night, right helping you out. I see that.
Speaker 11: So by now I imagine that you're wishless for working producers, musicians and artists. Is kind of being chopped down, right, because you just said you walked in here and you're like, should I got John Mayer this album?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 8: I mean you got John Mayer? You got score Like you got future, you got everybody like you, baby face, So let's.
Speaker 9: Yeah, who's Cuddy I want to work with? Y'all?
Speaker 1: Done? That seems okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's like a no brainer.
Speaker 9: We'll get together soon. There's a lot of people I still want to work with.
Speaker 11: Are there any other the Jagged Edges type of people that you want to work.
Speaker 1: Considered? Nineties? Whatever? Yeah?
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know, the song would just have to come up first. You hear it, hear it and feel it, get it done. You will seeing me and Charlie Wilson had a song too that could have went on Beach House three, but uh uh, the song is amazing. We'll see, we'll see what happens with it here.
Speaker 1: First, would you consider doing any Yiddish folk songs on.
Speaker 9: I don't think I'm gonna make a beach house for Actually, I'm gonna, you know, think of a new.
Speaker 1: Time the houses beach houses.
Speaker 2: You're a lot closer to it now. I'd imagine, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 9: I got a long beach beach house, but like, it's not the one that I know you want. I'm gonna still like, where's the dream? To get the dream one? It could probably be a you know, Malibu, Star Island and Miami or you know there's many There's gonna be many beach houses. You know, the way my life is looking.
Speaker 10: Say that that was wise.
Speaker 6: When do you think you when do you think you gained confidence as a singer, because you're saying early, you know you weren't really confident in it.
Speaker 9: I gained confidence when I seen YG walk away with the rest of that break. Yet. Yeah, we talked about it.
Speaker 1: I said it.
Speaker 9: I said it a couple of times.
Speaker 1: Motivated men.
Speaker 8: He said you got one more time to mention that in an interview.
Speaker 9: Yeah, well for sure, definitely. That will definitely change you, man, when you see it's possible, like when you guys have just been working in the back, you know, of Grandma's crib, and then all of a sudden you can go get paid for real people want to pay for this. Let's go get it there.
Speaker 1: That's that's really words.
Speaker 2: It really is hell.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you see a niggas you walk over a four hundred dollars walking up with ten thousand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll be a singing ass, right.
Speaker 1: Man. We thank you for coming on the show today, Yeah, pleasure, thank you everywhere.
Speaker 9: This is not mine. I actually stole it from the back.
Speaker 8: And you hear that, James, make sure you.
Speaker 10: Put it that.
Speaker 6: No, man, we thank you very much on Behalf of a Sugar. Hold up, damn, we forgot real quick, Master Teacher. You can't forget that the original original.
Speaker 1: How did that come about?
Speaker 9: We were just uh viving up Red Shopeak's house. Georgia. That's a gang of people on that song. Georgia Bla, the whole family, everybody.
Speaker 1: It was just a vip there.
Speaker 9: Yeah. I just did like me and Corey did one part on there.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 9: And you know Georgia did apart, and this person did a part of this person did apart, and then you have Master Teacher Stay Woke album?
Speaker 2: Is that on America?
Speaker 1: America? Can we officially say that she was better that term I stay woke? Be careful. That was the first place. That's the first place I ever heard it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm gonna just say down right now, I'm gonna just say that.
Speaker 6: Oh hell no, no, no, no, he definitely got Okay, Damn. I think she might she might have.
Speaker 9: I don't even want to say bit it. He might have just found out, but he found out.
Speaker 1: It was a great for those that listened to that for.
Speaker 8: That song that has nothing to do with staying woke.
Speaker 9: I hate when people do that.
Speaker 8: I didn't thank you.
Speaker 9: Not not you. I'm just saying, like when artists do that and be like, oh, you bid me, like.
Speaker 1: You know it's up in the air.
Speaker 9: I didn't have like many songs like when I made Saved, like J Cole had a song like about the same thing at the same time, and I'm like, no, I mean I put out another song where I did this or no that was I didn't. I didn't try to say people bid me. I just had the best or no.
Speaker 1: And then yes, you have the.
Speaker 9: Thank you. There's been many songs like that with me and Chris Brown and uh who else. We put out the Meek Mill with the Tony Tony Tony sample, and there was like some other song that had the Tony Tony sample. They thought we copied them or whatever.
Speaker 1: Come on, man, hey man, like there's only twelve who doesn't loud Us.
Speaker 11: Yeah, storm in every city loud Us.
Speaker 6: But nah, man, just thank thank you for coming and just I mean for us to sit here. I just want to say I'm a fan and I really just to have watched your journey and with no way you started the way you've taken.
Speaker 1: It's crazy because I'm a big fan of you, like, thank you brother.
Speaker 9: Like in my old web right, I had you know how, we all had CD cases ship like the big giant logic and I had all your all your joints, right, and then somebody broke in my ship and took all of my CDs and I just never went and got CDs. Well, I have the cases still at the christ but the actual CDs were in that book, and like, it just pisses me off every time I look at the cases.
Speaker 1: Remind me of the late nineties early arts where you had to have like the travel cases. Yeah, the big case with like fifty CD changes in the back.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, they would have it in the trunk. You had the CD change in the trunk. Jesus man, that was the original on demand.
Speaker 1: It was anyway on behalf of Sugar Steve Fanticcolo. It's like yeah, and unpaid and boss bills any last words.
Speaker 6: You absent bills, absentee bills.
Speaker 1: Anyway, thank you very much for coming on the show. This is question man, courts Love Supreme. We will see you on the next go round. Only one Pandora Court Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio. This classic episode was produced by the team at Pandora. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.