Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live every day at YouTube dot com slash the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 2: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. We did it.
Speaker 1: We're back. Nobody looks less tan than we do. We need to have a sunblock sponsor SB one hundred, Mayonnaise Gang's almost all here. We're a man down seat and is back tomorrow. But Fritzi's here, Marvin's, Paulie and yours. Truly great vacation. We'll talk about that coming up. I went on a vacation where I went fly fishing. And when you go fly fishing and you're floating on a river, you have to cover up, so from head to toe, long sleeve, you got to have a big hat on, you got to have sunblock on because you're on the river for six or seven hours, just floating fishing. And you come back and people say, oh, where have you been. I went on vacation. Oh, oh, do you're going to eat place warm? I go well, yeah, I was in Wyoming and Montana and uh yeah it was warm.
Speaker 2: Oh, you don't look like you went on vacation.
Speaker 1: So we came in today We're like, God, did we look like we went on vacation, Paulie, you got a little bit of a sun there.
Speaker 3: My forearms look like they're tan. The rest of me looks like I was in wrapped up like a mummy for a week.
Speaker 2: Yes, ton you, I sat by the pool.
Speaker 4: I don't know how much tan I got, but I spent a few days. I enjoyed a bitting being by the pool, just putting the sun block on.
Speaker 1: Marvin, you look like you got some color per usual. Yeah, you're looking good. We are rested, I will say that, but uh seet. We'll be back tomorrow eight seven seven three DP Show email address dpat dan Patrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP show and we'll get to your phone calls every Monday, as we always do. Best and worst of the weekend, what you saw that you liked, you didn't like, and and a lot of things to talk about. It is the slowest part of the sports season, and that is right around the All Star break. But home Run Derby coming up tonight the All Star Game tomorrow, and of course the looming topic what do the Angels do with show?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 1: Oh TONI also NBA Summer League. Okay, you know it's a slow night when your wife says to you, what are you watching?
Speaker 6: You go?
Speaker 2: Well, cornhole right now?
Speaker 7: Hun?
Speaker 1: And then NBA Summer League coming up? And then also Baseball Draft. Wait, you're gonna watch those?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, hard to sell a little desperate last night.
Speaker 8: There was some good ax throwing the other day.
Speaker 2: I got a chance to catch that.
Speaker 1: This hour brought to you by our good friends at Mercedes Benz. The Electric EQS sedan from Mercedes Benz Innovation on a magnificent scale, available with the epic fifty six inch touch sensitive hyper screen. The feeling is all Mercedes, the vehicle is all Electric. Learn more at Mercedes Benz MBUSA dot com, slash e QS, Poll question, Play of the Day, stat of the day, all of that forthcoming, Todd, are you gonna do poll question duties here?
Speaker 2: Alright?
Speaker 7: You do that?
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll give it. Give the audience a sample here of what could be in store for them today.
Speaker 7: Can do that?
Speaker 4: Paul, he had one What would you most like to know? The outcome of Lillard trade, Northwestern's investigation, Rembanyama's career, or other. So that's something to think about.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 7: We had after.
Speaker 4: Watching Victor w in his first two Summer League games, I think he will have a respectable NBA career. He'll be an all time great. Someday he won't come close to living up to expectations, or it's ridiculous to evaluate a player after two meaningless games.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: We also had what's least likely, least likely James Harden to the Clippers, Dame to the Heat, Chris Paul will be a bad fit on Golden State, Victor will be an NBA bust, or that I tuned in for any of the MLB drafts, what's the least likely?
Speaker 1: I watched the first two the LSU teammates. Here's the problem with Baseball's drafting. And you know, in no particular order what we're discussing today, but I was watching the draft and I go, you know what, these LSU players coming off the World Series and highly thought of, you know, the pitcher Paul's schemes is considered, you know, maybe the next mark prior from the standpoint of being the perfect pitcher. Remember Mark Pryor when he was coming out of college. Oh my gosh, that's the perfect picture. Steven Strasburg. We were told, oh, that's the perfect picture. There is no perfect picture. But Paul Skins out of LSU is highly touted. He's going to the Pirates, and I thought, okay, you know, that's wonderful. I won't see him for three more years. No other sport fails to capitalize off championships like baseball does. Why is it that an eighteen year old can go right out of high school, maybe a year in the G League or college, go right.
Speaker 2: To the NBA.
Speaker 1: You know, Adrian Peterson was ready to play after his freshman year at Oklahoma. Now he had to wait because college football makes you wait. In the NFL in conjunction makes you wait. But still you get to see them. That's the problem with you know, baseball players. You're like, all right, okay, we're gonna wait a little while here see these guys at LSU.
Speaker 2: Sure, all right, Oh that's right that guy. Yeah you want a title? How many years ago?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Paul, you really have to go back three years. Like if you go back to the draft, usually it's three years.
Speaker 8: You kind of know what's what?
Speaker 3: Like three years ago the twenty nineteen draft, Adley Rushman to the Orioles, Bobby Witt Junior to the Royals, Andrew Vaughn of the Socks, Josh Young for the Rangers. These guys are all playing really well right now. But half of the draft and looking the draft aren't in the big shot. I'd say half of the first round have not me the bigs after three years.
Speaker 1: Okay, shouldn't there be a well, this would be if we ran baseball that every player drafted in thet's say, the first fifteen picks of Major League Baseball the draft, you get to go to the big league as soon as you get drafted, Like.
Speaker 2: You will find a roster spy for you tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh yeah, like Paul Skeens could be pitching for the Pirates tomorrow. Like that would be great. You're able to capitalize on that. But also we're wondering Elie de la Cruz with the Reds. Can we put him in the All Star Game tomorrow night? Does the commissioner? I guess he has the power, but can you can you add they've added players before, usually players who are retiring. They're saying, hey, cal Ripken, you get to play, Miguel Cabrera, you get to play, Like, how about a cameo here for you guys. Let's say goodbye to these great players. But what about you know, some of the emerging stars here who aren't going to be in the All Star Game. Now, they like to have that futures game, but nobody cares about that. I want to see them be able to play. And you know, the Reds have a couple of really good players, but it'd be fun to see them in the All Star Game. I know they have to be worthy and there's voting process and then what managers are picking the rest of the roster, but it would be fun to see him because yesterday he stole three bases in ninety seconds. He stole second, third, and home in ninety seconds.
Speaker 2: Be fun.
Speaker 1: He's one of those, you know, you know, transformational type of players where you go, oh my god, that guy, he's gone from this to that and the excitement level that he gives you.
Speaker 2: Yes, Pump, it.
Speaker 3: Appears that the commissioner could do that. I think the commissioner can kind of doly want with the All Star Game because it's an exhibition. I can't find that it's ever been done before. The young player was inserted in the All Star Game. That was just like he only played thirty games and can you get in? I wonder what the reaction will be to that.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe it's just me that I be fun to see that happen there. It's like, you know what, now, I don't want to take somebody off the roster. I don't want well, that's good TV. Yeah, I don't want the commissioner walks up to somebody or the manager goes, hey, Jimmy Lipper come here.
Speaker 2: Yes, skip, we got somebody who's.
Speaker 1: Going to replace. She's more exciting there. What Yeah, but we got some nice parting gifts there, yes, ton.
Speaker 8: Like a baseball hard knocks kind of thing. When we need the book back from there?
Speaker 1: Age seven seven three DP Show email address Dpat Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show and we have the poll question email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com Twitter handle. A DP show operator Tyler standing by to take your phone calls. A lot of reaction to us going to Ireland coming up next month, and it was pointed out to me that Will Ferrell, while he's joining us, doesn't like Notre Day.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, USC guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, used to stand on the sidelines and apparently, according to Brady Quinn, make fun of the former Notre Dame quarterback while he was playing. And I said, okay, what's the problem with that? But Will Ferrell will join us in Ireland. We'll be doing our shows over there at the end of the month, and then we cap it off with Notre Dame and Navy. Last I look Notre Dame favored by twenty Yes, pom, I.
Speaker 3: Could see Will showing up on set with a full naval uniform full.
Speaker 2: I'm fine with that.
Speaker 8: Get in trouble for that, Yeah, it'd be wild.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fine with that.
Speaker 8: He's officially in though.
Speaker 1: By the way, has anybody stole for the cycle before, like stole second third in home? I guess you know that would be over a course of a game. When's the last time somebody stole second third in home in a game? He did it in ninety seconds. Maybe we could get some of our best people on that or research people.
Speaker 2: Yes, poem.
Speaker 3: By the way, a lot of people are asking that picture. You had a pretty good looking fish there in Montana. Yes, what's the etiquette? Like, how often do you catch a fish. It was a lot of work to get your first one.
Speaker 1: This was on the Wise River, the Big Hole in Montana. The complete fly fisherman is where I I went to and stayed there with two of my brothers. But you show up early, have breakfast, and then you get all packed up and then you head out on the river and then you're out there for about seven hours and I think I caught about twenty five trout. Now it's catch and release. By the way, the brown trout are unbelievable. They are beace like they're killers, but give you know, a great fight, and they're barbleous hooks, so it's really hard to land them. They're very smart fish. But we had a lot of fun and caught a couple of fish that were about twenty inches long, and you know, you know, there were a couple that got away, a couple of big ones that got away with other people who I was fishing with, where one I thought we needed a bigger boat because it actually was hooked and it was pulling the boat and then it snapped the line. But the scenery is spectacular there, beautiful and a lot of fun. But I will say it's not Brad pitt in a river runs through it. Just want to let you know it's not that glamorous. At least we didn't look that glamorous the way we were fly fishing. There was nothing in slow motion. It was all you know, I think I got my line caught in that bush over there.
Speaker 2: Yes, Paul, you don't keep a couple of.
Speaker 8: The big ones to cook later over a roaring fire and.
Speaker 2: No nothing, No, I love that it's catching.
Speaker 3: Really, you guys don't like roll into Billings to go to red lobster do what do you do for dinner?
Speaker 2: No? No, we had chef. They had a husband and wife.
Speaker 1: Unbelievable chefs that they cooked every single night, every single night.
Speaker 2: And I met a.
Speaker 1: Musician, Less Claypool. Yeah, he was there. Sean Lennon, John Lennon's son was there fly fishing. So it was a group of people there that you kind of throw everybody together and you're out there fly fishing for a couple of days.
Speaker 2: Yes, Ton, what is the.
Speaker 4: Safe window of time to get that truck back in the water so that nothing terrible happens to the first.
Speaker 1: Well, you have guides who will help you with that, and they're very, very very knowledgeable, and they'll be If they can't get the hook out, they leave it in the net in the water and then you know, bring it back up. But they're very aware and very sensitive of, you know, keeping this place beautiful.
Speaker 2: I didn't get see any.
Speaker 1: Real animals, but I did talk to a woman who gave me a ride to the airport and I said, she goes, did you see any wildlife? And I go, no, No, didn't see any elk or moose or and she goes, well, you know, we have a problem with uh with wolves And I go with wolves, She goes, yes, a lot of them. And in the wintertime, we found that one of the wolves went on our front porch and grabbed the family dog.
Speaker 8: And I go, what not grab and tickle either?
Speaker 2: No, like, hey.
Speaker 1: Around, yeah, grab and go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they got the dog back.
Speaker 1: But but the wolves are very aggressive.
Speaker 8: Did they catch and release you like that?
Speaker 1: There wasn't even a catch and release with the dog, but they scared the wolf. But yeah, you know, you're up there and you forget you're in the wilderness there.
Speaker 2: I mean it's that.
Speaker 1: They got bear, you know, I mean, they got stuff going on there. But we didn't see any of that I think it was too warm for these animals to come out. But you know, there's not a cloud in the sky, so when they say big sky country, there's no cover. So when you're out in the sun, there's no clouds whatsoever, it feels like and then all of a sudden they start to emerge a little bit later in the day. But a lot of fun and caught some fish, so good vacation had by one in all. All right, we'll take a break. We'll get our poll question today. I am going to talk about victor Ie by Yama. I'm going to talk about what's going on at Northwestern with their football program, to talk about the PAC twelve. I got an update on the PAC twelve and what direction they're headed in. They may not be aware of what direction they're headed in. Stat of the Day has always brought you by Panadi America, the official trading cards of The Dan Patrick Show. We take a break. We're back after this and The Dan Patrick Show. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine to noon Eastern or six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. Find your local station for The Danpatrick Show. At Foxsports Radio dot Com or stream us live every day on the iHeartRadio app by searching FSR, or stream us Live on the Peacock app. Once again, I didn't come in contact with any wolves when I was in Montana. I was just told a story about a woman whose dog got cartered off the front porch by a wolf. This program brought to you by Mercedes Benz, the Versatile EQB, the Sublime EQS Sedan. Mercedes Benz makes electric extraor ordinary, the vehicle's electric, the feeling all Mercedes MBUSA dot Com slash EQ, I.
Speaker 2: Ask and we deliver.
Speaker 1: How many players have had I guess stole for the cycle, second, third and home in the same inning. Fourteen players have done it since nineteen seventy four. Elie Dela Cruz the latest to do so. John Birdie of the Marlins did it in twenty twenty. Let's see, Yeah, this has happened quite a few times. A couple of really good players, Devon White, Paul Mollider, Dusty Baker, Pete Rose. Okay, so pretty good list there. But Elie Delacruz very exciting. He is a highlight waiting to happen. And you know he's given the Reds. They're interesting now, and that's what you want. You don't want to be average. And then nobody's interested in the red There above average and they are interesting. That's what you're looking for. And if you're the Pirates and you get the number one pick in the draft, why wouldn't you just say, Paul, how about we pitch a little bit here?
Speaker 2: How about we give you a takes now.
Speaker 1: They don't like you to get you into that first contract too soon, you know, they don't want you to all of a sudden go, you know, I'm ready to renegotiate here after a couple of years. If you were watching Summer League basketball on Friday night, and maybe you weren't, but social media was going to let you know about Victor one Byama. He made his debut and you know it wasn't impressive at all. But for those who overreact on Friday, are you overreacting last night? Because Victor one Byama doesn't show you much on Friday night? And they were sort of average numbers, pedestrian numbers where you go nine and eight and a couple of blocks there, and then last night you got to see the glimpses of what he could be. But keep this in mind, he's had two practices, he's nineteen years of age. You're playing with guys that you really don't know, and this is sort of an AAU type feel. There's some bad basketball being played. And as I've maintained with Victor Wan Bayama, the impact you're going to have or see is on the defensive end. That's where if you can be casual in your approach on the defensive end. He's casual. He's the big casual because he'll just block a shot and it won't be I'm going to send it to the seventh row. It'll be just like, let me block that, let me blunt that, and he'll tip a rebound to himself, you know, no dramatic Dennis Rodman type rebounds, like it's just a let me tip it here. He's a very bright player and understands and he knows the process is going to take a little bit of time. But he also has, you know the luxury of having Greg Popovich, who is you know, coached big men and coach them when they were twenty three years or twenty four years of age. Because David Robinson came in after four years at the Naval Academy. Tim Duncan spent four years at Wake Forest. Victor Wan Bayama is just coming in and he's still learning the process here, and he had this to say about how he enjoys the NBA.
Speaker 9: First of all, the court is more open. It's going fast, but it's it's less physical, and I get fellow in love but not as much. Nothing to compare and people hear people players are just flying. You know, out there is more underground, pushing under ground, big bux house. Here, it's great athletes, the best in the world, more way more talent. But I like this better though.
Speaker 1: He's fun to watch, but understand what you're watching because if you're looking for a highlight, he doesn't even dunk. And there's no three sixties. He's not Zion Williamson. He's not going to break a backboard. There is an elegance about how we played it, and I don't need to get two carried away here. But having watched this game for over fifty years, you're watching him play and you can almost see him having a Rolodex in his mind where he's picking up things that he'll use down the road. I don't know what he's going to be his first year, except for he's going to block a boatload of shots. I don't like these off balance jumpers that he takes. He can hit a three, he's got a good handle. And at the defensive end, he is going to be a force. As far as offensively, that's where it takes a little while. I could understand that, but he's a matchup nightmare. He's seven to four. At the end of the day, he's still seven to four. You get tired. At the end of the game, he's still seven to four. He is going to block a lot of shots. And Kareem came out and said, and Jerry West said this, there's a Bill Russell type feel to him. And that's a wonderful compliment because especially at the defensive Bill Russell was about blocking your shot, getting your shot, starting a fast break. Bill Russell was about rebounding, getting it out, getting on the run here and that's what Victor wan Baiyama is going to do. The offense will take care of it itself, but it's going to take a little while. And I don't think this is and I watched social media on Friday. Oh he's got a bull cup oh, he used to be like, oh, big high, Oh he's not going to live up too. Okay, it's one game, So if you're going to react to that, then you have to react.
Speaker 2: To what you saw last night.
Speaker 1: How about you don't overreact, just watch it and enjoy. I have a list here.
Speaker 2: Let me see if I can find the list here. Yes, Paulin, you.
Speaker 3: Know what thing that really stood out? I look back at some old Summer league like stats. Luka Danca didn't even play in summer league. He was a little late to it, so it didn't play him.
Speaker 2: He said, you didn't have his contract done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he did have some contract situation, so he didn't play in summer league. Yeah, but then he had an unbelievable rookie year Steph Curry. I think average like twenty seven in summer league is a rookie, you know, a summer league. But then he had kind of an average rookie year. One thing I stood up about Victor is when he when he's gardening, the guards and the wing players, he plays off them because he can, and then he waits till they go up with their shot and he just jumps out like a broomstick. I mean it looks like he's had got a broomstick in his hand and they had to like chuck it to get it over.
Speaker 8: It's really cool defense.
Speaker 1: I remember when I think it might have been University of Houston, they were preparing for Kareem Abdul Jabbar and they actually had somebody stand on a chair with a broomstick, just to give you the impression of that's what it's going to be like to shoot over this guy.
Speaker 2: By the way, if I if I.
Speaker 1: Give you these names, Keegan Murray, Davion Mitchell, cam Thomas, Brandon Clark, Josh Hart, Lonzo Ball, Ty Jones, Kyle Anderson, Glenn Rice Jr.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mark, I'm a geek summer league. Yes, you're right, blue bloop summer league. Who stand of a day, stand a day, stand outa day, scant outa day. This is the stud of the neme.
Speaker 1: It's not necessarily an indicator of success. Now, these are good players, but we're looking at Victor Wanbayama and he's supposed to be the next Lebron. His impact not that style of player, but he is supposed to have that big of an impact. There's an expectation level that we take in whether it's biased or not.
Speaker 2: I just watch.
Speaker 1: I just want to see what do you do well? What's your footwork like? First thing I noticed with a big man, what's your footwork like? How are you at passing? Those are the two things that I noticed. Then I want to know your touch. I want to know if you can make free throws. So I sort of look at it differently than probably most people.
Speaker 2: You're looking for highlights. You're not going to get highlights. You're just not. It's just not who he is.
Speaker 1: And I think as he builds, as he grows physically mentally, And then I Popovich just signed a five year contract. It's like, if they didn't get Victor one Byama, would Greg Popovich have signed that five year contract extension? Five years, eighty million dollars? And from what I'm told, he gets paid whether he coaches the five years or not. But he's going to be there with Victor one Byama, And uh, I wonder if they had gotten the second pick in the draft and it was Scoot Henderson, would pop be signing a five year contract extension? Probably not, probably not, But all of a sudden you got Victor one by Ama. Can you imagine being assistant coach going.
Speaker 2: Oh god, if we get Victor one Byama, I'm not going to be able to coach.
Speaker 1: Or you go, oh man, if we get Victor pop steps down. Hello, Now, all of a sudden, I'm the next Greg Popovich. You get that word that you're like, uh, wait, pop is he's five five years Yeah.
Speaker 2: I figure I'd stick around for five years. See how the kid developed.
Speaker 3: Cheer Yeah, PAULI, he'll be eighty at the end of this contract. He turned seventy five the season.
Speaker 1: Okay, here's one for you. Let's say you're Bill Belichick, Pete Carroll. Maybe those guys are in their early seventies. If if you get Caleb Williams. Let's say Bill Belichick gets Caleb Williams, how long is that going to extend him coaching the Patriots. I'm trying to think if anybody else would be in there. You know, Pete Carroll doesn't necessarily have a franchise quarterback, But if they got Caleb Williams, then you'd go, all right, you know, I think I'm gonna stick around here a little while. Anybody else. I'm trying to think of any other older coaches who don't have a great quarterback, and Belichick's the prime example.
Speaker 2: All of a sudden he gets Caleb Williams and.
Speaker 1: You're like, oh, all right, coach, going to stay around here a little bit EIGHTE seven to seven three DP show Email addressed depa Dan Patrick dot com Twitter handle a TP show. We got the All Star break and Home Run Derby coming up tonight, Dan, and Florida leads us off. Hi Dan, what's on your mind?
Speaker 6: I just had a little event with a grizzly and Yellowstone basically got chased by grizzly bearer got a live to tell about it. They were going northeast or I was going east west. They were going north south. Bear saw me on the highway, came after me, covered one hundred yards and the time it took me to go about twenty. Luckily I was going on a perpendicular. They apparently can't cut very well, but they can come match it forty miles an hour. So I got lucky and did everything you're not supposed to do. Then you realized how low on the from Kyre.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Dan.
Speaker 1: Yes, somebody was telling me that our guide was one of those guys who lives in a small house where he cuts his own firewood.
Speaker 2: He's just got a stove in there.
Speaker 8: Oh, he's a man.
Speaker 1: He goes out and you know he'll hunt elk in the winter and then you know he'll dress it and then bring it back and that's his food for the one like a real real man. And you know, he was talking about being chased by a bear and uh, you know, he said, you their sense of smell is a mile away. And he just said, you know, once they track you like you, you got to make a decision. And he had a bow and arrow, but but he wasn't going to shoot the bear unless he was gonna get killed. You know, it's weird when you have like, how was your day today? Hunh you know, got chased by a bear? But you know I didn't use the bow and arrow there, like, okay, how was yours?
Speaker 7: Great?
Speaker 1: I went to Taco bell and then I went to bed bath and beyond you know, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 8: So they say you stand motionless if there's a bear, and.
Speaker 2: I don't know how you could do that, or you.
Speaker 3: Walk slowly backwards, real slowly and just trying to walk away from the situation and never run.
Speaker 1: Said no, And then I said, but I thought bears could climb trees, and they said, no, cubs can.
Speaker 2: I believe.
Speaker 1: I believe, but I didn't have to worry about this. But you know, they did talk about that there's bears, and you know, there's mountain lions, and there's wolves and there's a lot of things going on there. And I said, good, you know, hopefully we won't run into that.
Speaker 2: Yes, Marv, Bridgeport doesn't sound bad at all.
Speaker 1: No, No, Connecticut, Connecticut didn't sound bad, you know. But I didn't run into any.
Speaker 2: Of that though, just you know, but you're a man, though, so you I had.
Speaker 1: Not a man, I would have cried because I don't know how bears react if you just get in the fetal position and cry, but that's probably that would have been my defense.
Speaker 8: Yes, yes, is it the same with other animals?
Speaker 3: Like if you run into a wolf, is it the same thing walks slowly away or is there a different strategy?
Speaker 8: That'd be nice to know. It is like a flip chart that we could add.
Speaker 1: I wasn't told, like in case of right, that's something you want to know because if.
Speaker 2: You encounter dot dot dot, but I I didn't.
Speaker 1: I didn't get a flip chart there that I would have on my wrists like quarterbacks. Yeah yeah, but real quick though, as you know, you get all of a sudden you're encountering a bear or wolf.
Speaker 2: Let me flip this up.
Speaker 1: The run in a crooked don't run straight.
Speaker 2: I survived though, It's fine. Ip.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it wasn't a run pass option. Hell, it would have been just run was the only option there. Let's see Gus in La. Hi, Gus, good morning. What's on your mind today?
Speaker 5: Good morning, mister Patrick, Welcome back, hope you and the boys had a great time off. So best of the weekend, you know, kind of a odd one for us out here in La. You know, the Dodgers have been on a bit of a skid, having you know, got as a little nervous, and then we played the Angels and just beat the healthy crap out of the Angels both nights.
Speaker 7: And then every time that Altwani would come up, Dodger Nation would.
Speaker 5: Welcome him as on our own time. I know, it was wonderful.
Speaker 7: That was the best of the weekend, considering the fact that you know that our pitching staff has been absolutely just terrible. Worst of the week and you know, kind of it happened last week, but we'll consider the weekend since the boys were off. Mike Trout, Mike Trout breaks another bone. Yeah, he's out six to eight weeks. Is Mike Trout approaching that of Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, you know, the best, one of the best, to never win it?
Speaker 1: Well, I would say no, because he's not. He hasn't been on the stage to play in a World Series, to lose a World Series. Whereas Carl Malone played in a couple of NBA finals or Charles Barkley played an NBA finals. They at least got there, you know. And it's easier for one great player to impact a basketball team than one great player to impact a baseball team. But Mike Trout, it's almost like out of sight, out of mind, where you go, Oh, that's right, Mike Trout. But I think until he gets into the postseason, plays in the postseason. You know, the Red Sox at least got to the World Series before they won it, and they won, they lost in heartbreaking fashion, but they at least got there. And that's the difference with Mike Trout. He's had three playoff games. Let's see it. And if you're if your show Heyutani, you can't help, but go God do I want to be Mike Trout Well, he's going to the Hall of Fame. But how many postseasons are you going to go without an appearance? And now you just got hurt? Now your chances? I mean you were close and now you know? Now what happens at the All Star break? Does anything happen at the All Star Break? Do the Angels? Are they more likely? Less likely? Jeff passing from the Mothership will join us coming up next hour. And this is a topic that we've been on for quite some time. I hope show Hey Otani stays with the Angels. I do, But you start to put yourself in his position. You've lost nine to ten. Mike Trounce out Rendon has never lived up to as advertised. You know, you're a nondescript team. He's wonderful, he's spectacular, and he's going to be worth whatever they're going to pay him. But do you just say, as his agent, hey, we're going to test the market. We may re sign with the Angels, but we're going to test the market. But if you're the Angels, and if you know that, because that's all I would want to know. Just tell us if you're going to test the market, then we have to consider trading you. We just have we're running a business here, and I don't know if the agent will tell the Angels that, but they may be factoring in that. Otani likes it there. He's comfortable there, but he.
Speaker 2: Does want to win. You saw him at the World Baseball Classic when he won. I mean that was a big deal.
Speaker 1: Guys, get a taste of that, and then you don't want to settle and go, yeah, I'm making a lot of money, but these are meaningless games, like they're getting towards that that crossroads here, the fork in the road. And as Yogi Barro once said, when you get to the fork in the road, take it. You just understanding that. Mark just got it, Okay. I always love when you and I got a chance to be around Yogi Bearra later in his life, and I remember him. He had this line where he was talking. He was talking to somebody else on the Yankee staff and he goes, Uh, that restaurant that's so crowded, nobody goes there anymore. It's just too crowded. And then you're going, somebody's going there.
Speaker 2: He goes. Nobody goes there. It's too crowded, Yes, Pony.
Speaker 3: The Angels, Yeah, they've won one game of the last nine, five in a row, so they're now five games out of the wildcar. We left for break there, one game out of the wildcar.
Speaker 8: Back to Mike Trout, He's played what eleven years? Twelve years?
Speaker 3: He has one postseason hit in his career in twenty fourteen. He's not even in that position that Clayton Kershaw was in a couple of years ago, where he was postseason hurt his career because he was lights out in the regular season. In the postseason, he's kind of below average to be fair, or he not come up big.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 8: Trout doesn't even have failure in the postseason. He has no appearances.
Speaker 2: By the way, is this just a coincidence?
Speaker 1: Let me take a break because I was fascinated by this and maybe I thought too much about it.
Speaker 2: Had to do with the Angels.
Speaker 1: And the Dodgers in show. Heyo, Tony, We'll take a break. Play the day is up next. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon Eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock out.
Speaker 10: Hey, it's Ben, host of the Fifth Hour with Ben Maller. Would mean a lot to have you join us on our weekly auditory journey.
Speaker 2: You're asking what in God's name is the Fifth Hour?
Speaker 10: I'll tell you it's a spin off of that Ben Mather show, a Colt hit overnights on fs R.
Speaker 2: Why should you listen?
Speaker 10: Picture if you will a world will we chat with captains of industry in media, sports and more every week explore some amazing facts about human nature and more. Listen to the Fifth Hour with Ben Matherer on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcast, or wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 1: Oh my, God of the day of the day.
Speaker 5: Check this out. High Lake coming to the plate.
Speaker 2: He'll steal third base heavy day of the cruise will without even a throw. Heck, the third baseman, Brian Brian Anderson didn't even go.
Speaker 4: Now I was coming home, Henny safe.
Speaker 2: He threw the ball back to the picture.
Speaker 11: He fell asleep on the ball in the one day Luck cruise has simply stole him to run oh by himself first Cincinnati Reds player to steal second third in home in the same inning since Hueye Krits back in nineteen twenty eight.
Speaker 2: Eerie Yes, Uh, that's.
Speaker 1: Courtesy of WLW, the Red's radio network. That is your play of the day, hottest Rookie's biggest superstar is the old time greats, and there's only one place to collect them all. Panini Trading Cards. The official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show, autograph cards, Instant Classics, Member Billia cards, rare inserts and more started continue collection now Panini America dot that all right.
Speaker 2: Prior to the commercial break, I mentioned that.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it was a coincidence, but if it was, it was great, And if it wasn't, it was still great. The Dodgers in the Angels, you have Shoheiu Tani, who was welcome by the Dodger crowding. You know, they didn't boo him, they didn't treat him like he's the enemy. It's like, hey, you're going to be in a Dodger uniform few months, we welcome you in. Well, guess what one of the Knights was with the Dodgers and the Angels. You know they have appreciation nights. It was Japanese Heritage Appreciation Night this weekend with the Angels, okay, and I think they had Ruy Hanchamura throw out the first pitch. Just a coincidence that shoe Hey Otani is there and it's Japanese Heritage month that we're going to have appreciation night and Ruy Hanchimura.
Speaker 2: Of the Lakers is gonna throw out the first pitch. Yes, Mom, I.
Speaker 3: Still think I know this is not going to go over well. That the Angels should absolutely call the Dodgers first for trading Otani. The Dodgers had the best farm system and the most talent in all of baseball. They could afford him. He doesn't have to move far Otani. They like star power with the Dodgers. If I'm the Angels, I want to be the Dodgers. I don't want to be the Angel and taking their entire farm system would be a step in that direction.
Speaker 1: Otani's two hundred and twenty six total bases the most by a player at the All Star Break since J. D. Martinez had to twenty eight in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 2: Stat of It Today sat the day that best stat of the day.
Speaker 5: Stat of the.
Speaker 8: Day here it comes that what stat of the day.
Speaker 7: Show?
Speaker 1: Hey Otani with thirty two home runs, He's the fourth player to have at least thirty two home runs at the All Star break multiple times. He had thirty three at the break in twenty twenty one. The other players Ken Griffy, Junior, Mark McGuire, and Sammy Sosa. So pretty impressive list there with Junior, McGuire and Sosa. We got some phone calls here what's the poll question? We went with Todd since Seatan's not here today.
Speaker 4: We signed with Pauli's what would you most like to know the outcome of Lillard trade? Forty one percent, when Banyama's career thirty five percent, Other eighteen percent, Northwestern Investigation six percent.
Speaker 1: All Right, The thing with Dame Lillard is, and I've said this from the outset, it felt like both parties knew what was best. Dame knew what was best for him, Portland knew what was best for the franchise. The question was going to be who was going to say it first. And while I think Dame wanted the Blazers to say that we're going to trade you, or we need to trade you, or we have an offer we can't refuse.
Speaker 7: That.
Speaker 1: Maybe it came down to Dame realizing, you know what, I should be the one if I want out, then I should be the one who's going to, you know, put my name behind this. And then Portland said, Okay, where do you want to go? And then the fact that he has taken away their negotiating power because he says I want to go to Miami. Well, if I'm Miami and he wants to go here and he doesn't want to play anyplace else, that takes away a little bit of the bargaining power of the Portland trade with a great player in Dame Willard. But I'm not surprised that they parted ways. I'll go back to an interview that I did, what was that six weeks ago with a Blazers shut him down and the season wasn't over, and he really sounded I don't know if upset is a fair way to characterize it, but he sounded kind of disappointed, sad, and you know, it's one of those things you pick up on these just like with Russell Wilson. When Russell Wilson came on after the Super Bowl and I could just tell with his tone that there was something else there, and then I kept going back, and then we realized that there was something there, and then that's when it blew up. And then that's when we realized that Russ wanted out of Seattle, and Seattle probably.
Speaker 2: Wanted Russ out of Seattle as well.
Speaker 1: Now it wasn't that acrimonious with Dame and Portland, but Portland has to run a franchise. They have to run a business, and when you start to play favorites, that's where you get in trouble or we can't let that guy go, Well, yeah you can. You know, just about every great player in that history of the sport has been traded. Some of the biggest names in the history of the sport traded. Now Jordan didn't, or Bird didn't, or Magic didn't, but you know Wilt did, Kareem did, Lebron Well, you know he was trading himself by going to franchises. But you know, this is what happens. And I think with Dame, Okay, are we going to take a hit here? You already have because you're not playing playoff basketball. Build a roster here. That's the best way you can say to your fan base. If you have the people in the front office capable of doing that that hey, yes you're not going to see Dame, we're not going to be relevant, but we're building something here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pulling that doesn't And again I don't know this, It doesn't a trade with Portland and Miami need a third team because I don't know if does Miami have the assets to give back.
Speaker 8: They don't want to give up their whole roster.
Speaker 3: They don't want to give up you know, draft pick don't matter because but like, do they have a star to hand back to Portland?
Speaker 2: Well, the name that's mentioned is Tyler Hero.
Speaker 8: Is that enough?
Speaker 2: No? No, no, no, no, you have to have more.
Speaker 1: A third team probably, but yeah, and it feels like that's that's the way teams are going about this now that you have to have three teams involved in a trade, not just too. But you know, if I'm Portland, I gets Tyler Hero, No, that's not enough, I get if I'm if I'm trading him there, what are we getting in return? Where I can say to my fan base, hey, we got some building blocks here. You're not going to get Bam out of myyo and you're not get Jimmy Butler. So it might be Tyler hero Duncan Robinson and a pat Riley autograph. Our two on the way. What is the Pac twelve doing