Speaker 1: Some of the content of Patriots Unfiltered may not be suitable for all audiences.
Speaker 2: Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 3: The world's of vigeon podcasts.
Speaker 4: Welcome to Patriots Unfiltered, presented by Toyota dot Com.
Speaker 3: See you guys, your holidays.
Speaker 5: They say you're on holiday everything, and I held it down before we left.
Speaker 2: Don't you worry? Her was in good shape. I heard about that.
Speaker 6: That ratings reflected, Oh yeah, your shows were hanging on the week on the Vineyard, which was really nice.
Speaker 3: The wanna be hard? Oh scraped during one of the two joint practices.
Speaker 6: Sirianna doesn't want that smoke, not at all.
Speaker 3: When Paul played sports, he didn't like the raw rod. Guys, no, I deny it.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 5: You did, But I wasn't try hard because I didn't have the ability to not do.
Speaker 3: Paul, Wait in your life, you didn't try.
Speaker 7: I tried, believe me.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't know. I wasn't a lack of effort away from being in the major leagues, right.
Speaker 3: That's not what Tommy di Debosa told me. Ever, tics, poison IVY and Mosquitos, why do we need them? The ecosystem would be fine if we eliminate those three.
Speaker 8: I don't think that's true.
Speaker 3: I know it is starting at YouTube, and we'll see if we have to branch out. I have an onlyfan so well that you know, listen, I'll be doing it at bare feet and selling my.
Speaker 7: Socks bare feet and selling my socks.
Speaker 2: Is that how only fens works?
Speaker 3: This is Patriot's Unfiltered, presented by Toyota dot Com. All right, welcome to Patriots Unfiltered. It is Thursday here at Jules Stadium. The gang's all here at Evans Paul. It's me, It's Duce, it's Alex, it's Matt and the booth getting ready for the season. I can tell. I can tell, you know, everyone's starting to get a little bit anxious, a little bit excited, right.
Speaker 9: And we're all here.
Speaker 2: We're all here. Yeah, passed the conditioning test this morning.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I did the run tell I passed it flying colors, right, Yeah, yeah, I'm just picturing Evan doing I've actually I actually wanted to do it, like I wanted to, like as content, they.
Speaker 3: Have a section where you waddle, because you.
Speaker 6: Know, I just I feel like there's two things like that are like running the Hills. I feel like it would be like fun content to.
Speaker 2: Make fun for who God for.
Speaker 6: For me to be laughed at.
Speaker 8: I can be laughed at that.
Speaker 3: We're going to do it of your music playing in the background.
Speaker 8: Like can Evan pass the conditioning test? No?
Speaker 2: No he can't.
Speaker 8: All right, Well, anyways.
Speaker 3: So it is Thursday.
Speaker 2: In two days. Gotta hurry, we are going to be live at practice.
Speaker 3: It's hard to believe we're talking about in two days we're going to be live at practice.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: Here on patriot dot Com and YouTube. I just went out there. Matt and his crew were putting together our set. So it's here, it's.
Speaker 7: Here, absolutely trains running. Yeah, let's me get on.
Speaker 2: Got some new names signed to the roster yesterday.
Speaker 10: Uh Mitch over that, Yeah, Mitch van Voren is one and then as well as a linebacker.
Speaker 2: From the family.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Uh so a couple of depth moves there, nothing really moving the needle. I would say, just you know, guys who were going to compete.
Speaker 7: I think we all expected. They let go of a fan favorite day.
Speaker 2: I was gonna see, I was gonna you buried the lead. You sold this real.
Speaker 10: Estate on brock Lampy Island and unfortunately you sold high.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we sold high on on Brock. We we found a listen. I I don't need to, you know, make fun of brock Lampy. But as soon as we signed Reggie Gilliam, the island really changed names quickly to.
Speaker 2: Appreciate in value and the two full back offense. Though we were we were a little bit curious about.
Speaker 6: Yea, Wherston Island is still going great. We're still we're actually adding people to that island based off of catch twenty two yesterday, so we're going good. But yeah, brock Lampy did not make much sense to carry two full backs for too long.
Speaker 8: So that one I think make.
Speaker 2: We'll catch on.
Speaker 3: But you know a lot of these guys they get cut and they tell them, you know, don't don't pack up yet.
Speaker 2: You never know.
Speaker 10: Sure, I think you'd be a good fallback should anything happen to to Reggie Gilliam. But getting things in order, and you know, we had a few pup lists as well, you know, Harold Landry being the most notable one. Uh you know, to me, just I don't I don't know where to draw the line. Because we talked to Vrabel in the spring and he just kind of said, like, Harold Learner's gonna be fine. He doesn't need to to be here. But I think it's a really thin position. Gay accus Where's he?
Speaker 2: We don't know? That's the one. So those are the two big questions.
Speaker 3: Aunt Landry will be fine, But acis is a mystery.
Speaker 2: You know what's going on there? I don't.
Speaker 10: Well, we had Burke Beer saying that it could it could be something of a redst year was what he said, which really freaked me out.
Speaker 9: Has he posted from the squat rack?
Speaker 2: There's no more squats.
Speaker 6: He's posted hanklings plenty of workout videos of himself on his own socials this offseason.
Speaker 8: So I have no idea what's going on with that one.
Speaker 3: It's so weird because in Fortune Foxbury he saw all the video of him, you know, being so excited, you know, get me the playbook.
Speaker 2: I'm ready to go.
Speaker 3: Oh, by the way, I'm gonna have surgery that you guys didn't know about it. We don't maybe maybe, yeah, yeah, that's that's.
Speaker 5: Mike Rees has reported that he's coming off of a knee procedure.
Speaker 2: Whether they knew about it or not, we don't know. The mechanics of it all.
Speaker 10: But the bottom line was that was the guy we were all most excited about, and we thought that they needed that he fit.
Speaker 2: I mean, the.
Speaker 10: Calls on Forcen Foxborough was rabel like, you already got the attitude. I mean, they, you know, everybody could see the way the guy plays is how they the Patriots want to play.
Speaker 2: And now there's this big mystery around it.
Speaker 10: I've never experienced anything like this before, especially with the rookie slotting. You figure the contract shouldn't be that hard, but it seems like there's a lot of complications going on right now and I don't really know what the solution is or when the solution will come. The Redscher year makes it to me sound like, at the very best, he's not coming back until maybe the start of the season, and then they've got to start to work them in.
Speaker 5: It's not a great way for a rookie to I mean, I still think that there's an avenue for him to be a contributor in year one, but it's not the best way to start. I mean, he missed the entire offseason program and you know camp, you know for rookies. They reported on Tuesday and he hasn't, so I don't know how this is going to unfold. But it's not a great way to start as a rookie. And Mike is right like, it's not necessarily like, oh that's the that's the best player they drafted. No, he had the best road for media contribution because it's a thin spot that they need. You know, they've done a good job of bolstering the roster, you know, top to bottom, but that's one area I think and I'm.
Speaker 2: Not as.
Speaker 5: I'm not as willing to just overlook the fact that Landry's going to start on pup as Fred is. I'm not worried about Landry as a veteran being ready to go if he's physically up to speed. I'm not worried about him missing practice time. But pup means he's not able to practice yet wells.
Speaker 3: But plenty of guys start on pup and then.
Speaker 5: Yes they do, and when they come off pup, that's when I stop worrying.
Speaker 6: Okay, I'm less concerned about the immediate with the pup with him, and more concerned about in December and January is going.
Speaker 7: To be I worried that that injury is significantly.
Speaker 9: He's not part of the maintenance though, of why he would start on PUP, just.
Speaker 4: Because that's how Rabel really massaged it in off season, his off season availabilities, you know, to Mike earlier.
Speaker 5: And that's if he wasn't on a list and he wasn't practicing regularly, I wouldn't have any concern at all. They don't have to put him on PUP. It's not like they get a roster spot for putting him on PUP. They don't. So that's my concern, Alex, is that Mike sort of let it be known this is you know, they did it last year with him, and I thought it worked pretty well for him. In Morgan, Moses and No far More, I think was a little of that. There was some guys that they had to monitor for different reasons, and I think it really worked well. The fact that he's on a list tells me he's not ready to practice yet. Whether they want to massage him or not, he's not ready to go yet.
Speaker 7: So I'm a little concerned about that. You know me, I get more about this stuff than you guys too.
Speaker 6: I'm concerned about him from a big picture standpoint. I think we're saying the same thing a little differently, Like in.
Speaker 5: Other words, the fact that he's on PUP tells me there's a significant injury that could be a problem for you in December.
Speaker 6: I mean the first five six weeks of the season. Last year, he looked great, yep, and then an injury happened in New Orleans and he was never the It's.
Speaker 2: Like a new threat, not really a new thread.
Speaker 8: It's regularly I was gonna say what it's gonna do.
Speaker 6: It was not the same player, And you know, we were talked about it yesterday on the show, Like just to get him to be active for the Super Bowl was like a huge undertaking, just to make sure that he could dress as like a you know, show of good fate that he was dressing in the game. I wasn't really sure he was going to play at all this year, Like retirement I thought was maybe on the table for him. And now he's coming back and he sits out the spring and he's on PUP. I just I think that whole position is like, well, where are they going to get the juice out of that spot? Like you think dra Mun Johs is going to be like steady, like he's going to be a solid player for them, but is he going to be a double digit sack guy? And like, really, you know, get after the quarterback. You know, Elijah Ponder, that's everybody's you know, circle breakout candidate, you know camp star. We'll see I mean Braden Swinson, Yeah, maybe.
Speaker 2: I mean it was a concern all off season.
Speaker 10: I mean I remember talking about it last year and saying, this is a position they're going to have to address. They addressed it, but you know, you're not You don't know what you're going to get out of Actus, And I think Evan's to your point. It's just my biggest thing is if this is a team with Super Bowl aspirations, is that defensive end group going to be peaking at the end of January or are you going to have to, you know, do what you did with Morgan Moses and those guys, and you're gonna constantly have to be managing Harold Landry. I like Harol Landry. I'd like to believe that he could get back to that point, but I don't think it's arguable that he's on the back side of his career and you very well might have seen his best days. So it's it's a key position, and I just think we're gonna be talking a ton about it over the next.
Speaker 6: I just wonder what Landry My like silver lining of hope with him is that maybe they try to flip flop his season where the first couple of months of this season he doesn't really play a ton and there's out a ton of it because they're actually saving him for January, so that maybe the first six.
Speaker 7: Weeks not a bad point of.
Speaker 6: Last season happened at the end of the season instead of that's.
Speaker 3: Why I've start him acting like everything's fine in order to put.
Speaker 7: Him on pup. Yeah, you have to open camp on pup.
Speaker 5: So maybe to Evan's point, maybe they want to give him take September off.
Speaker 2: We'll put you on pup.
Speaker 5: You can't play, but hopefully we'll have you healthy and ready to go.
Speaker 10: How do you guys remember like Bill managing that defense as it got older, you know, two thousand and seven, two thousand and eight, you know, guys like Rabel and Bruski and Harrison, you know, did did he take similar kind of steps or were they like full bore right from the get go and camp.
Speaker 5: I mean it was different veteran days off or you know, a big, big part of that. I think McGuinness was really a guy that that started it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, as they got older, on his own, not.
Speaker 3: With the coach.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I think guess they got older, you know, veteran days off. Rodney was a guy who you know, every once in a while you just would be doing much at practice, you know, kind of like what you saw Mike do last year.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they had a bunch of those guys.
Speaker 2: I mean some of it.
Speaker 10: I don't mind when a younger player gets an opportunity, like it's gonna be great for Elijah Ponder to get a chance, But I just think that's a position where they need talent and they need production, and that's the bottom line.
Speaker 3: So, speaking of Belichick, I have to tell you about this dream I had last night that included Belichick, and it'll show you how traumatized I was over those twenty years. So the dream takes place in present day, but he's still he's the coach.
Speaker 2: And we're still doing the newspaper. So I get word that the coach is really pissed at you. He wants to talk to you. Oh no, and he's so pissed.
Speaker 3: He has a new rule that when you guys screw up, he's taking it out on the regular media. And he's pulled Chris Gasper's credentials because of yours screw up. And so yeah, yeah, So I'm like, oh, this is this is this is worse than me getting like he's taking it out on them because of stuff. So I'm trying. I'm racking my brain.
Speaker 2: What did we do?
Speaker 3: I have no idea, you know, And I'm going through the last issue of the paper and it's like, well, we talked about Gonzalez's contract.
Speaker 2: Could he be mad at about that? I mean, that's we we have to talk about that.
Speaker 3: That's a big story, Like what is it?
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 3: So finally our CMO, Jen Farren, I tell her, I said, yeah, I heard the coaches mad because yeah, I heard too.
Speaker 2: I know why. I said why?
Speaker 3: And she pointed to this section that we had in the beginning of the newspaper called press gems, And I guess it was us taking things that the press said and just highlighting them, like whether they were so ridiculous or whatever, just to show what they're saying. And I don't know who the writer was, but it was really cheap shots. It was you know, at best, this is this roster is a talent, is a you know a bunch of misfits and blah blah blah. So you know, it was like take but we put it in there to get people riled up, like you know how bad this is. So the dream in my mind ends with me thinking, Okay, I'll be able to explain this, but how do I get GASPS credentials? Yeah, that's that's how That's how screwed up we got over the last one.
Speaker 7: Can I ask you did that happened to you a lot?
Speaker 5: Like over the years, did you have like these random dreams about Bill being mad or whatever a little bit? Yeah, Constant really like not the same details as that, but like Bill wants to see you, Bill confronting me, flashed back to the elevator, going to the press conference that I still have over.
Speaker 4: There are people here that I'm convinced they're going to pass the trauma they got from Bill down like in their DNA like for generations.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's definitely Belichick post trauma. Whatever you want to call it. It affected the whole organization. I think I think we're still recovering that that. Ye, some of the attitudes and things are still like.
Speaker 2: He's not here anymore.
Speaker 3: You don't have to worry about that.
Speaker 4: Especially with a lot of people that we deal with in content that have been around a long time.
Speaker 9: Yeah, people still have kind of that.
Speaker 2: I don't know, we can't do that.
Speaker 3: Oh no, we can do that.
Speaker 5: I would say a dozen, maybe a half dozen to a dozen times a year, like I would have a random Jellette stadium type dream, and sometimes they were positive.
Speaker 2: Sometimes Bill was really happening.
Speaker 3: Yeah about there was.
Speaker 6: Some good even more because there were times like when we would do like before like preseason games, like you know when when we're getting ready because we produce our own preseason games, and we would do like production meetings and Bill would be in there, and Bill often incorporated me into something that he was talking about, Like we'd be talking about like a cornerback and he got you know, like you know, Paul's going down for patio get up, and he would show like the technique of.
Speaker 5: Not looking back for the ball but playing through the guy's hands and staying in FaZe and this, and like I was always like like I'm his you.
Speaker 2: Know, his whipping boy that knows he can do anything, but like in a good way.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was in a good way.
Speaker 5: And I would have these like random dreams like you know you like you did a really good job at that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, even though I know we didn't.
Speaker 7: Okay, well i'd wake up. No, No, that didn't happen.
Speaker 4: What is the psychology, Like there's a psychological meaning behind that somewhere I'm going to analyze that.
Speaker 2: Well, never accept Yeah, you know.
Speaker 9: From your father figure back then.
Speaker 3: It wasn't that long ago that we stopped the newspaper. But while we were doing the newspaper, I mean it's a weekly newspaper that you know, we're doing thirty two to forty forty eight page newspaper and we're really really covering the team in depth, and it's your life. You know, the game's over, you're doing an overnight. You get that issue out and you're immediately working on the next issue. So you're you're so ingrained, and I can understand why you would have it was always about it always, It's always on your mind, like there's always a deadline you're always hitting, you know.
Speaker 10: I think Paul would have liked your dream scenario though, because you could get things in the paper and get this media guy like Bill, get him right, flog him right.
Speaker 2: Oops, we did it again.
Speaker 3: You're gonna have to buy it's an empty press box.
Speaker 2: And he just looked across what he had done and was satisfied. I will cover the team now.
Speaker 6: Sorry, guys, you do you think like not that it's to be the last You're okay, not woe as any of it, but like I think about this team and the job twenty four to seven, like.
Speaker 8: And even you know, it's it's actually like hard.
Speaker 2: To not think about this team.
Speaker 3: Like a sixteen year old thinks about girls, you know, Yeah, it's always on.
Speaker 2: Everything, always on your mind.
Speaker 6: I am like the meme that's like he's probably thinking about other girls, and it's like the.
Speaker 8: Backup left guard.
Speaker 6: I just don't know if it's good enough, you know, like that that's no that that like when I was just on vacation recently and I have to really like tell myself to stop thinking about it.
Speaker 9: Did tweet that much?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I had.
Speaker 6: My screen time was down sixty percent, very proud of that's a big number.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I was. I basically cut my e I.
Speaker 9: Would your screen time mid season.
Speaker 8: No, you don't.
Speaker 7: I wouldn't know, but it's you know, you'd laugh at mine.
Speaker 8: That that's the job though, you know.
Speaker 6: So that's how I justify it, is that I'm on my phone because it used to listen.
Speaker 3: Those who are passionate like you are the ones that are going to be successful. Oh thanks, Fred, No, I'm serious, keep the passion if that's what you really loved, can you know?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: So is this your way of telling us that we're normal for having these abnormal dreams about?
Speaker 2: No, we are normals. Yeah we are.
Speaker 3: No. I mean, like I said, I can understand why we did, because, like every day was what's next, what's next? Here's the deadline? You get done done with that one, You're immediately onto the next one.
Speaker 2: Did you ever have the dream when you can't run?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 10: Yeah, well, I mean I was going to bring up it's just right in the genre of and we all probably have it playing sports that like you have a game about starting you can't find the right equipment, like I have that dream exam everywhere.
Speaker 5: For me, it's I'm going into a final at BU and I was not at the class all year.
Speaker 9: I'm about to graduate.
Speaker 4: I'm about to graduate and my counselor tells me, you didn't go to this class once. I'm like, I didn't know that class was on my schedule and I'm failing it and it's like I can't graduate college. That's a reoccurring one, or I'm getting kidnapped napped? Do you I have dreams that you guys don't even have to think.
Speaker 9: About as a woman.
Speaker 8: Yeah, more than.
Speaker 4: I'm being chased and being like yeah, and it's like that you can never run fast enough, like you guys are dreaming about. Never like in sports, you can't run fast enough. I'm like being chased by someone trying to.
Speaker 8: Find me by like a creepy Yeah.
Speaker 2: My not being able to run is always in sports, not not.
Speaker 8: Yea from a person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, anyway, I just had to because that just happened last week.
Speaker 10: I shared that friend. I wanted to get that out before I forgot. You got to work through that, you know, it's good to air it.
Speaker 3: Why Chris Gasper, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know, yeh, p f W guys.
Speaker 7: He doesn't have a pf W. Alum he worked with us.
Speaker 10: It's like the thing where they like not only shoot the person, but then they shoot the person next to him to.
Speaker 3: Discourage it, or you know that screws up on the team and he makes all the teammates do.
Speaker 2: The push ups while he watches. You know, the guilt one do you ever have that was happy about it? What do you mean that's happened?
Speaker 5: Every team I've ever played for, they try that, like they try to guilt the guy who actually did it wrong and he has to watch this one guy, like my.
Speaker 2: Sophomore year football just kick him back because I thought it was great. I didn't have to run.
Speaker 3: Friends than One of the regrets I had was it was soccer and they had this like backboard that we would kick and whoever got the most you know, back forth without the ball stopping didn't have to do the run at the end, and I got it.
Speaker 2: And I regret not going on the.
Speaker 3: Run anyway, because that would have shown, oh, he's going to do it.
Speaker 2: And I was like, Okay, I don't have to run, but I should have done the run anyway.
Speaker 4: Sure you're an effort guy, Yeah, yeah, why would you cheat yourself.
Speaker 2: The right right?
Speaker 3: Didn't want it, not like I was in the best shape. I could have used the run. So you do those things. You look back and like, I wish I could do that one over.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I don't think about any of that.
Speaker 3: No, No, well, okay, all right, what else? What are we excited about? We talked about things we're concerned about. But you know, Saturday comes out, you're out there. What's the first thing you're going to be looking for?
Speaker 2: A J. Brown? AJ Brown?
Speaker 8: Yeah, A J.
Speaker 2: Brown.
Speaker 6: I just feel like that the more you think about, how much that could really elevate the offense and elevate them to another level, hopefully even better than they were last year in some respects that it's an exciting player to have and also a guy that I think really wants to be here and has wanted to be here probably since his draft and it didn't work out then, and it's I think he said in his press conference, you know, better late than ever, right, and so here we are. It's pretty cool that, you know, to have that sort of connection with the player already and he hasn't even played a snap for you yet. To have him really want to be here and be excited about being here, I think that that would be every catch he makes. I feel like we're going to be tweeting about it and talking about it, and.
Speaker 3: Yep, the very first thing I'll be looking for is how big is the crowd?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: How many people are here? Now it's the first time we've ever had our first practice on a Saturday.
Speaker 9: The weather's gonna be gorgeous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'm expecting a big turnout, nine thousand. Oh easily easy. Easily easy, I would. The excitement's back, I mean.
Speaker 4: And they've always had a good turn I don't know, since I've generally.
Speaker 2: Have really good crowds on weekends.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and even in like the really dark days of those two seasons back to back, training camp was still fun and hopeful. So I can't imagine what it is coming off a Super Bowl.
Speaker 5: Where can you get that close to a pro football team for free?
Speaker 9: For free?
Speaker 4: That's the biggest thing too, It's like, where can you do anything great now with your kids or your family or your friends.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, I was remembers sing yesterday about all the times we went to training camp as a fan. As you imagined, me and Barth went to training camp as a fan quite often.
Speaker 2: And matching sweats there was wat I got you.
Speaker 6: I mean, core memories of coming to training camp screen as a kid and it used to be even earlier. Sometimes the more you know, nine am practices and you have to wake up early and go go out to camp.
Speaker 4: A kid that camped out the night before, like that group of kids from Providence that does it every year.
Speaker 6: I camp out the night before because but I was you know, I was going to watch, you know, I wasn't going for the autographs or something like that.
Speaker 9: You know you're going, You're like, I don't want to be front row. I can't see from tell to.
Speaker 2: Figure what schemes they're running.
Speaker 8: You know who's who hoped? You know who's the next Zach Sudfelder. You know Riley McKay.
Speaker 9: Where stand when you were a fan?
Speaker 2: I usually in.
Speaker 6: The end zone, like on the hill there behind the the that was usually our spot of right there.
Speaker 2: Spot, that's the best.
Speaker 7: He nailed it when you were going.
Speaker 3: Do you remember seeing us?
Speaker 8: Not as much?
Speaker 12: No.
Speaker 6: I remember seeing like the media tent and wondering what that was and like asking my dad, hey, like what.
Speaker 2: Are those people? Do you know?
Speaker 8: And that was sort of.
Speaker 6: What put especially once I got into like middle school, I would say, uh, you know, that's sort of what put my mind on it of like oh, you can do that as a job, Like that's pretty cool. So but yeah, I do remember that for and I remember, you know, the all the radio you guys are ninety five or whatever doing broadcast from training camp, you know, and I'm listening to those as well. But we used I used to go as many times as I could in the summertime, you know, probably went to four or five practices the year. And yessterday, I was telling the one about the one, uh the joint practice with Tampa where Brady got hurt.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I was at that one.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so that was tough.
Speaker 2: Hush fell over there. Yeah, I used to go to I used to go too.
Speaker 10: I mean, I think my first pilgrimage was like twenty fourteen or like, I got to go to training camp practice, but I got to shout out pulse blobservations. I love always reading what he rose streets after the practices. I thought that was, you know, one of the must read things that you know. And I don't know why I thought this, but I remember when I started working, I was like, no, I feel like I see the game similarly to Paul, Like I always thought, like, I don't know why I thought that.
Speaker 2: Like I mean, I guess we do.
Speaker 10: I don't know, but but I always that was always a.
Speaker 2: Must read for me.
Speaker 10: And as being in California, you know, you get all the tweets and you just that's how you compile everything. And you know, that was my biggest FOMO when I was blogging, was just like I wish I was there, you know. And I remember when I got the job and I hadn't started yet, but camp had started. I remember sitting in the media tent and you guys were doing like live radio, you Eric, Meghan and you two, and you know, being like, wow, this is pretty cool, Like I'm going to be on with those guys, and you know, it was that was when it all started to feel feel real. But it's it's super fun. It's a great take. I mean, it'll be super fun. Like Saturday morning, I'll be so excited. Then by about an hour and a half into the practice, I'll be like, Okay, when's the past practice?
Speaker 2: When's the brats?
Speaker 5: But you know, you just it keeps you kind of wish you could get those first four over with, but you know, it's all part of the process.
Speaker 3: The only thing we don't look forward to is when's that first preseason.
Speaker 10: Game, right right, But I am really interested to see what the crowd is like just coming off a Super Bowl. I mean, I think there was a lot of optimism last year that they were going to start to build something good, but I don't think anybody obviously expected them to be as good as they were. And now that you're starting to have some star power, it's people you want to come see. You want to come see a j. Brown, You want to come see Drake May. And I remember sitting when we're watching Brady back in the day, being like, how cool is this? You get to come be right next to Tom Brady, and you know, even as you get farther away from that, it's just wow. You got to take advantage of these opportunities to especially the joint practices with the Colts and the Eagles. What I mean competitive, I mean, don't waste your money in the preseason.
Speaker 2: Go to that. Go to that and you're going to see all you need to do and go to the preseason game. Yeah yeah, but that's at.
Speaker 7: Least watch on TV and the bobs just count.
Speaker 3: If you want to talk about a good take, those joint practices will be really cool.
Speaker 2: I mean past I would. I would guess they're going to be representation will.
Speaker 9: Be national media people will be there just because of the optics of Big Jays.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Alex, did you ever go to training camp practice before you were in a Western mask?
Speaker 2: That's a long run.
Speaker 9: I covered it, but like, yeah, that's.
Speaker 2: The only time. I mean, I never I never went up without covering it.
Speaker 6: I think this is the most anticipation of a training camp, excitement of a trading camp since Brady was here. I mean, like last year we thought optimism, but you didn't think super Bowl run. Yeah, I mean I can't really think of another, probably twenty nineteen when they won the Super Bowl in eighteen and Brady and we're still going.
Speaker 5: What would be the least amount of success the team could have that you would still deem the season to success.
Speaker 8: The least making the playoffs, but maybe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would make the plays is good? Yeah, I want to win the AFC East, I agree.
Speaker 6: Yeah, if they made the playoffs as a wild card, Fred's a little higher's Fred's AFC East title or bust? Yeah, I would say if they make the playoffs, that that sort of valid hi program.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you make.
Speaker 6: The playoffs and you go on a road playoff game as a wildcard team to Buffalo or Baltimore or something like that and lose, like depends on how If you lose, like the US lost to Belgium, I'll be.
Speaker 5: Mad, But if you lose in a competitive game, I think you'll be mad and disappointed in all that stuff. I'm just saying, big picture, they were, you know, so far exceeded our expectations last year. What would they have to do minim minimally to sort of keep the vibes going? And I would say, if you don't make the playoffs at all, you know, obviously this is barring a rash of injuries. You know, if if you if you lose you know, four or five of your really important players, Drake may being one of them, and you don't make the playoffs, I don't think anybody's going to say, wow, I was a disaster of a season and whatever they've done well.
Speaker 6: Like how do you think that you know, just on that point, like, how do you think Commanders fans feel exactly? Because you could say Jayden Daniels got hurt and that's why their season went up in flames last year, right, But I'd also say that if you look at the betting odds of the next head coach fired, Dan Quinn is really high on those lists, right, And I'm not saying that about Mike Rabel, but like, if you have a season from hell like that, like Washington had last year, then the following season becomes a pressure season need results. And I think that's where Washington, you.
Speaker 3: Know, and there's a good list of you know, teams that lose the Super Bowl that the next year they just kind of fall apart, you know, and you don't want to be on that list. You want to come back and show that we deserve to be there. It was no floke, sustained excellence. I think that's the hardest thing to do in this league.
Speaker 10: A lot of teams have a great year, they put together a great free agency class, it all kind of comes together, and then maybe it withers a little bit. But that to me is what it's about. Is, you know, they did a great job last year on the fly, bringing a staff together, a lot of different pieces coming together, and it all seemed to work. Can they you know, continue to feel like you have a program, you know? And I feel like that's what they showed last year, that they knew what they were doing, so hopefully they were able to keep those vibes going. And I just again, I expect it to be a little tougher. I expect the injuries to be a little bit tougher. I don't think the depth is great in a lot of spots.
Speaker 2: There's a couple of key positions.
Speaker 10: If they lose a guy, it's going to get interesting really fast.
Speaker 2: So we'll see.
Speaker 10: And that's you know, what I'm excited about is just to see who's going to surprise us?
Speaker 2: Like, who are we not talking about that?
Speaker 10: Once you get into camp and the pads come on and all of a sudden, there's a guy out there that or two that, Wow, this guy.
Speaker 2: Can play football.
Speaker 10: Like you know, you're not going to jump out when you're out there in shorts and T shirts, but you know, and those are the kind of things when they happen, I think it's a great sign for your program that you're having guys excel and arise above what you might have expected from them.
Speaker 3: So the system is working.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they need them. They need them this year, all right.
Speaker 3: Eight five five past five hundred is the Hotline podcast at Patriots dot Com. Is the email address. What are you going to be looking for with training camp or you know, even if you're not here, what stories are you expecting to emerge? You know what? What what are your hopes for training camp in particular stay healthy?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Oh geez, you know that's well it's already.
Speaker 10: Nick s Gordon already went on day one of panthers. I mean, I can't stand that. I can't stand the injuries. It's so frustrated.
Speaker 3: Kyle from Pembroke writes in writing to give Evan a warning, the art of training camp is shirts and shorts. Players like Pop and Kyle Williams shine in this time a lot like Taekwon Thornton. So don't get taekwond again, Evan. It's your kryptonite.
Speaker 6: We talked about it yesterday because we were talking about those two guys specifically, and Kyle Williams maybe being someone that is a breakout, your two breakout kind of candidate, And I said, you know, speed guys early in camp. I'm not gonna take the cheese. It gonna have to see it once the pads come on. But you know, I think those two guys popping Kyle Williams offer a speed element that you know the other guy's Brown Dobbs, Booty Hollins that they're not necessarily built like that, so they're gonna need one of those guys, I think to offer some stretch of the field, speed of element, which one is it.
Speaker 3: On a serious note, what young players are you excited to see or hopeful that they take the next step. I'm excited about Braden Swinson. He has hype out of the draft last year, and with Landry and uh Acus out he should have opportunities.
Speaker 7: He will have opportunities.
Speaker 5: I want to I have a little bit of a to Mario Douglas take oh pop Yeah?
Speaker 8: Is he popping for you?
Speaker 5: No? I would absolutely sign up right now for a repeat of his year last year. I think that he was a valuable part of that as a complimentary piece. And I think the problem sort of the perception of to Mario Douglas being I think is kind of negative right now. And I think the reason for that is two years ago, everybody thought that he was something that he wasn't and he was overrated by the fans, and I think people felt like he was this one hundred catch guy in the in the you know, the next Edelman, the next Welker, and he's going to be a high volume slot guy, and I don't really.
Speaker 2: Think that's the strength of his game.
Speaker 5: I think what he showed last year is he can come up in big spots and make big plays when Drake may needs him, and he didn't make every single one of them. There was like the fourth the failed fourth down against Pittsburgh.
Speaker 7: I think that ended that game.
Speaker 5: There was a quick screen to him on a on a blitz and he kind of cut the wrong way like a bad It was a bad play. No, I'm just I want to be fair. I'm trying to pump the guy up, but I want to point out some of his shortcomings too. I just feel like if you think of him as this hundred catch guy like like Edelman, you'll be disappointed. But if you think of him for what he is, I think he's a valuable part of the offense and he made some big plays for them last year, not the least of which was the fourth down touchdown in the Houston playoff game, which I think was was huge in that game. Yeah, I think that people are kind of sleeping on him and they want to. I think they've had enough of him, and I don't think it's fair. I think he's a better player than people give him credit for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hear what you're saying too.
Speaker 10: It's because he's not the Edelman in that quick note that you know, but he's more of a speed guy. He more of a downfield threat. That was where a lot of his plays happened. And just my opinion of him in mini camp was he very involved. You know, it seemed Drake was. He was praising him knowing where to be.
Speaker 5: Which opposite we heard saying, like, you know, shorts and T shirts don't get fooled by Tomrio Douglas. I haven't been fooled by Tomarrio Douglas. He looks good in practice and he looks good in games when he's called upon. He's not a hundred catch guy like I don't think that's the way the offense is going to run. And I think the biggest part of the reason for that is I don't think Drake May wants to do that. I don't think he wants to throw one hundred five yard crossing routes. That's not the to steal Evans line about Drake May all the time. That's not his superpower. That's not what he does best.
Speaker 2: His best.
Speaker 7: He's had at his best when he's making big plays.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I remember last year writing about it and slipped it up. Averaged nine point seven are yards of target last year, which is a career high for Tomorrio Douglas. And there was that period of time, especially around that New Orleans game where he caught that bomb from Drake May in that game where his a dot was just like through the roof. It was like close to twenty And you know the reason.
Speaker 13: Why at average depth of target's learning this stuff, Okay, And I remember talking to him about it and he said, you know, this is what I did at Liberty.
Speaker 6: Like at Liberty, I was a vertical slot. I was a speed slot down the field, double moves, things like that Mount cooks And yeah, not not the five yard jitterbug routes, right, that wasn't my my thing. And he fell a lot more at home and a lot more, you know, comfortable with those targets down the field versus the targets closer to the line of scrimmage to Paul's points. So you know it's that's maybe that's the type of guy his I'd still like to see him be a little bit more consistent, you know, at the underneath stuff and then finding the soft spots and knowing when to sit and knowing you know, when to run away and things like that. But I do think that he's definitely, at his core more of a vertical field stretcher than he is Julian Edelman or Welker one of those guys, and maybe they kind of discovered that last year and that's what allowed him to produce a little bit.
Speaker 5: Okay, that said, after I go on that big defense, still probably trade Onmark Cut himself.
Speaker 2: Because he's going to.
Speaker 5: He is going into the last last year of his deal. So yeah, I think him and Booty are definite candidates, you know, if they're looking too.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's a great question.
Speaker 10: Is is Booty out there on Saturday and working and just seems like he's here till they decide he's not or he decides he doesn't want to be.
Speaker 2: That's a great question.
Speaker 9: He's been in the area, so it seems like it.
Speaker 10: I you know, I just highlight a position. I think that's really hard in training camp, running back position. With l Jennings starting on the NFI list, so he is going to be out of the mix at least for a little bit. You know, jam Miller, Evans, Sky Land, Larison. You know, how do those reps look like? Are those guys returning kicks? You know, who might have the inside track on that RB three kick returner kind of job.
Speaker 2: I think it's a job that is up for grabs.
Speaker 10: And I'm curious if those jam Miller, Land Larrison, even the undrafted guy Miles Montgomery.
Speaker 2: Have little juice, some pop, you know.
Speaker 10: I I just it scares me trying to think about going through the season just with Remandre and Henderson next year.
Speaker 2: You know again, I'd love to just have a.
Speaker 10: Third guy to help manage things a little bit and protect them. But we'll see if somebody emerges.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 3: You mentioned the running backs, I immediately think of the offensive line in front of them. What will be that lineup, first team lineup on day one?
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean I think I think it's it's Amble, Avt and Wilson on Wnu and Moses and I just my question is how much does Moses practice?
Speaker 2: How much do they manage him? And where does Lomu work in as as Evan.
Speaker 10: Talked about on Tuesday, How does he get his reps? I think it's going to be opportunity for him to get some right tackle reps. But we'll see how that all plays out. It's just does the guard thing continue? Was that something in mini camp? They were just kind of let's see how we look, let's get it on tape. I forget it, let's scrap it for training camp.
Speaker 3: You know, based on history, Paul, when they try things like that in the spring, they sometimes start off in training camp doing it too, don't.
Speaker 2: They challenge over it?
Speaker 5: Changes sometimes, like in you know, Bill would say, you know, we wanted to start him doing the thing that he hadn't done because we wanted to give him a little bit more of about like Eugene Wilson's safety corner thing. You know, We're going to have him do a little bit more of the thing that he hadn't done a lot of in college, right, so we can fall back on it and then camp comes around and he's back at his traditional spot. But I've absolutely seen it the other way too, where they did something in the spring and you need to see a sudden you know, you know, day two, day three, you see the same thing you saw in the spring, like, oh, maybe they like him in that role.
Speaker 2: It wasn't like Troy Brown at corner something that was that was camping right well, that you'd see it in camp.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you see those as back up And.
Speaker 5: Because I don't know if you knew, but like Bill knew, they were going to lose seventeen cornerbacks that year.
Speaker 2: So I was getting really frustrated.
Speaker 7: And maybe that's why I have dreams.
Speaker 3: I was getting really frustrated with your show the other day, one of your shows.
Speaker 7: So can you tell me what show it was? So I can the.
Speaker 3: Main one, that's what it. Would you say that Stefan Diggs had good numbers last year? Yeah, okay, good. So they were saying they were comparing Stefan diggs numbers to A J. Brown's numbers as as like, well A J. Brown had the same numbers as as Stefon Diggs. As if that's not good.
Speaker 5: So I would say that Diggs had a better year than Brown last year, but there was far a few numbers were much more efficient. Evan talked about that on Tuesday, the eighty three percent efficient rating.
Speaker 7: Now they're asked to do different things too, Brown, but if.
Speaker 3: He ends up with those numbers. Again, that's a good season.
Speaker 2: What numbers? So Brown ends up with like eighty five for one thousand.
Speaker 5: I'd be disappointed really yeah, unless he like there's like twelve touchdowns or something.
Speaker 2: Like that, that's well again you got to see context.
Speaker 3: Are those plays that he's making helping you win football games?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 6: And also like what's the trickle down effect? Like he only having right is the.
Speaker 2: Only Romeo Dogs have ninety catches because.
Speaker 4: He's Drake right really spreading it out.
Speaker 8: Like that's what happened last year with Dick.
Speaker 6: You know, they had Digs at a thousand, they had Matt Collins, Kishan Boody, a bunch of guys at like four or five hundred behind him, and they had the number one EPA offense in the league. You know, so right, You know, I think that that depends on how the ball is spread out.
Speaker 3: But you know, like you can't in one breath say, you know, Stefon Diggs they got rid of him, he had great numbers, and then take those numbers and say, well A J. Brown had kind of the same numbers as a negative.
Speaker 7: You know, I don't think he had the same numbers, but yeah, that's all I.
Speaker 5: Mean they were talking must make a good point about the trickle down effect of the offense if you see that if Dobbs has really good numbers too, then obviously.
Speaker 3: And then they were comparing A. J. Brown's numbers to this guy in the Cardinals Wilson. Uh, who's the Michael Wilson, Mike Wilson. We had the same numbers as Mike Wilson. Nobody knows who Mike Wilson had good numbers? Like what, I don't.
Speaker 2: I didn't understand what they were trying to do. Well, It's also part of it.
Speaker 10: AJ Brown was kind of miscast in the Philadelphia offense that wasn't built to play to his strengths and give him fully feed him.
Speaker 2: Like he should have been fed. So yeah, I think that's big part of it.
Speaker 6: One of the good phrases I've heard about AJ Brown and all the commentary is, you know the Eagles didn't help him age gracefully, where like you have things that offensive coordinators can do, especially lining him up more in the slot or you know, giving him free releases and finding ways to get him away from coverage, that the Eagles were just kind of like you're playing the X and you're staple to the outside. He's running ninety percent of his routes or something like that from out from the outside. Josh McDaniels, I think is going to be a lot more creative with him, and that might allow him like he did with Diggs last year, at this stage of his career, I don't know if AJ Brown is the same guy he was three or four.
Speaker 3: I think last year was a weird year for him, and I think Paul you and I agree on this. When you watch the Eagles game, and they were on a lot, so you got to watch those games, the AJ Brown portion of the offense seemed forced. It didn't seem like That's.
Speaker 5: Why I don't think he had good numbers because I think they with the ball to him a lot. Yeah, and he had the same numbers as Diggs, who has Evan pointed out on Tuesday, didn't get the ball thrown to him a lot as much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they had.
Speaker 7: Difference in targets, but.
Speaker 3: It just didn't seem like he fit or they wanted him to fit in that offense. And maybe that was part of his frustration with Hurts, Like Hurts almost seem like you need to go to a j Brown now, you know, maybe there's.
Speaker 6: Just a much different offense. You know, they didn't target him over the field as much as in the middle of the field as I think the Patriots will. They didn't target him off play action as much as I think the Patriots will. So I think that there's just going to be different scheme elements of how they're using him that are going to hopefully accentuate his straints and get him back to being closer to the player than he was a couple of years ago.
Speaker 3: So my point to run this whole thing back is if A. J. Brown has the same numbers as he did last year, it can look very different even with the same numbers.
Speaker 2: You know, I like the.
Speaker 7: Point that you guys made about the rest of the offense.
Speaker 5: That could make those same numbers look a lot better if there's a better efficiency.
Speaker 2: You know, take some pressure off at Dobbs too.
Speaker 10: You know when he was like the crown jewel of before they signed AJ Brown a lot on him.
Speaker 2: Is he going to produce? But maybe that's good for him, Like.
Speaker 5: Does it create a lot of light boxes? Do you run the ball better? Because you have to, you know, account more for AJ Brown than.
Speaker 2: Maybe you did last year with Jes Diggs.
Speaker 6: That's historically been what's happened on AJ Brown's teams. You know, tightands Eagles. They see a lot of light boxes because people play with the safety over the top of AJ Brown and Sakwon Bartley runs for two thousand yards because he's running into lighter boxes all game long. You know, those are the things that you hope don't show up on the stat sheet, that you hope that he brings to the data.
Speaker 3: All right, so preseason predictions. How many people think the Patriots offense will.
Speaker 2: Be top five? I do well, top five and what, well whatever whatever a top five.
Speaker 3: Ye well, okay, I'm just asking this.
Speaker 7: Ye I'll say, yeah, I think the offense should be better this year.
Speaker 2: I mean there were second in points.
Speaker 3: They're going to play better defenses.
Speaker 4: I think that's my thing. I feel like six six six. I don't know why, Alex, just because I feel like if I come in the top five, they'll just be fringe.
Speaker 9: But that could be a really good thing. Yeah, they're playing.
Speaker 7: You could make an argument six against this.
Speaker 4: Their objective objectively much better in the whatever the metrics say, I don't care.
Speaker 6: They're all going to be like thirty five points a game, So the Patriots will be at like twenty nine and they'll be like.
Speaker 8: That's still good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I think they're going to be a really good offense. That's just the question of health. And you know, it's all a lot on Drake. That's the seat. He'll figure out the ceiling. But I mean, they they've done everything you can do that's supporting him. They're getting weapons, they're investing draft capital in the offensive line, you know, almost to the detriment of the defense a little bit. I mean, they're kind of hanging on with this defense right now, which is fine, but you know, at some point they're gonna have to start investing a little bit more on the defensive side of the bath.
Speaker 3: All right, lots of email, there's lots of calls coming in. Let's start hearing what you have to say. We'll start with Larry in Wisconsin. What's up, Larry? Larry? Larry didn't take the cheese in Wisconsin?
Speaker 2: Okay, he's gone.
Speaker 3: Well it's Christian in La.
Speaker 14: A yeah, Christian in la You know what Usually I say, Hey, you guys got a little happiness in me? Oh they going into going into trading camp. Do you know who I'm excited about. I'm excited about seeing our first, first and second round draft pick for form just like it was last year. Wait a minute, I wasn't excited last year because he made mistakes in the first two rounds. About draft picks, Oh here we got this year. Oh yeah we did, because I wasn't excited for short arms Will Campbell to get blown away. You know what, the first round draft pick is supposed to be an impact player, and Will Campbell was an impact player last year. You know what kind of impact he had? Impact will play for the other team during the playoffs. It's not gonna play. I don't care how you guys say, Oh yeah, we're gonna switch Loe more around. Lobo was supposed to be an impact player. He's our first round pick. You guys are mellily mouthed about it, and you try to make excuses for it.
Speaker 3: I am not.
Speaker 14: I am not excited about the two first round draft picks because the second guy isn't even gonna play. So that's that's that's my gripe. Now, on positive side of it, you guys are being million mouthed about what you think this team is gonna accomplish. I can't believe you guys are gonna sit there and the team that was in the super Bowl, it was not a fluke because every game in the NFL is hard to win no matter who you play. So forget the schedule stuff, and then we are. We were a top five offers last year. Our running game was top five and six, and our defense was pretty damn good. And you guys are sitting there letting people tell you, guys that, oh, you know, it's gonna be a harder schedule the Patriots. I'm not gonna get fourteen wins, you know what I mean? Wins we're gonna get. We're gonna get thirteen to fourteen wins again. Anyway, you named anybody on our schedule that you see that you guys think right off the bat can beat us? Just tell me yeah, competitive, yes, But who do you think can beat us?
Speaker 3: Well, if they're competitive, they can beat us, and we can beat them. It's you know, that's the idea of competitive.
Speaker 5: Let me put it through a schedule and see if I can find a team that might be able to beat them.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 12: The first game, guess what, see, I was top two defensive guys are gone.
Speaker 14: So at the top running back, who won the who won.
Speaker 3: The Okay, so maybe that'll make make a difference.
Speaker 5: But maybe that'll make the game competitive this time because it wasn't the last.
Speaker 8: Time Devin Witherspoon get traded.
Speaker 2: I don't know, like, get sorry, we stepped on.
Speaker 3: We're all negative. It's okay, he's not negative.
Speaker 2: I want to know.
Speaker 8: I want to know who he's talking about. What do you mean? Top two defensive guys got trades.
Speaker 2: He's allowed to say that.
Speaker 5: All the draft picks think gone. That's not negative. He's allowed to say that because it's Christian saying it. So that's that's he's keeping it real, right, But we're being negative by not knowing that they're going to win every game, right.
Speaker 6: I'm asking him a question, who are the top two defensive guys in Seattle that are gone?
Speaker 8: Christian?
Speaker 2: There I think is gone, right tree quallon their third corner? Yeah, so what did he.
Speaker 14: Wasn't he one of the guys that that they considered, Oh, guys like a shut down guys guys doing that that that helped their defense stay at the top. They can kick two safety because.
Speaker 7: They got Okay, but he was their third corner.
Speaker 3: That's like saying our edge left.
Speaker 8: What Caleb Chase? Yeah, you know, I mean their best guys on defense are all back.
Speaker 2: He played. I'm not trying to argue with you, stiff, he played, but he was.
Speaker 7: He was their third corner.
Speaker 8: Who's the other guy that's gone?
Speaker 14: The number one running back?
Speaker 5: That they had the two best guys on defense, right, we're looking, That's what we're trying to figure out who they were.
Speaker 14: They lost the safety too. I'm not sure.
Speaker 8: Kobe Bryant, who is their third safety?
Speaker 14: Okay, but it was their defensive rotation with those two guys in that made them so ball on defense. They're gone and the number one running backs gone. I'm not afraid.
Speaker 12: The point is that I'm not afraid of any team in the NFL that, you know, beating us that can make us think that we won't have fourteen wins against this year. But I am upset about the fact that we don't have impact plays for our first two draft picks. You can't talk me into it. You can't give me excuse the why it's gonna work anyway, and Lomo's gonna fit it. Maybe Jackets, you guys, I need.
Speaker 3: You to do you think it's gonna be fine screwed up?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You think you think despite that, they're gonna wins dictomy.
Speaker 7: Everybody stinks, but no one can beat them.
Speaker 5: Like they screwed up the last pick, screwed up the drafts, but no one can beat them, like.
Speaker 7: I don't understand how those two things can be true.
Speaker 3: Listen, if he if he's right and Campbell was to screw up, it's not gonna be that great a year.
Speaker 7: You know, I disagree if Loan who can play?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he doesn't think that was a good draft pick either.
Speaker 5: No, I well, everybody stinks that again, that's sort of the the irony of him thinking that nobody can beat them.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I thinks everybody on the team kind of stinks.
Speaker 6: I didn't think the Lomu pick was the right pick at the time, but I'm not going to keep beating a dead horse and say it for another six months.
Speaker 8: I didn't love to pick in the moment when they made that pick.
Speaker 6: For a lot of the reasons I think he is saying is that I don't know if he's going to contribute right away, and maybe in three years he'll end up being the right pick. But I'm more concerned about twenty twenty six, not twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 8: So I hear what he's I hear what he's saying.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 6: I thought at the time, just to be real, that Akis was going to come in and be an instant impact player. So far, Accus isn't even here, and I don't know who's advising him or what, but like, get your buttet training camp.
Speaker 4: That's kind of out of their control because that's what the front office thought too, you know. Yeah, so I hear what he anticipated it to play out this way.
Speaker 6: Lomu and Eli Reridant to me, are two guys that are developmental picks. Those are guys that I think are here for the long term, Like they're not going to be players that I'm expecting that are going to come in day one and make huge impacts that they would guy out of the draft that I thought was going to do.
Speaker 8: That as Akis.
Speaker 6: I think that's why it's so frustrating that he's not here is because he was the one guy in the draft class that you felt like, Okay, I was going.
Speaker 2: To be here. I was excited.
Speaker 7: It's another good job by Christian excited too.
Speaker 5: It's another good job by Christian and I'm not saying that ironically.
Speaker 2: He listens conversation.
Speaker 10: Was he not a fan of picking offensive linemen or just the specific ones that they picked.
Speaker 2: I think probably just y.
Speaker 3: They need to be impact players, and he doesn't consider offensive find an impact player.
Speaker 5: And in fairness to him, he brought this up right after the draft. He was not happy that they picked a guy who was probably not going to be a big impact player in year one.
Speaker 8: And I think that's sure.
Speaker 5: And he thought they were a super Bowl team and a lot of people felt the same way.
Speaker 2: A lot of people felt the same way.
Speaker 5: I just I don't really understand how you can say how bad everything is on one hand and then.
Speaker 2: Not really give the other teams any chance to beat them.
Speaker 5: I mean, again, if fifteen, but if we're talking about Kobe Minor and Riek Woman and two of the best players, so like the Patriots, is the Pages defense in trouble because they lost Caleb On, Chase On and U J Jalen Hawkins and Jack Gibbons.
Speaker 2: I mean they might m and worry opened on Pp too.
Speaker 10: He's still recovering from whatever ankle was probably him, so maybe that would help them, But I get it. I think this is it's not enough of a sample size on Will Campbell yet to make a declaration. I think we all have similar concerns, but I understand the philosophy of trying to protect Drake May and taking and how hard it is to get tackles, and you know, I'm right there with Evan. There are concerns about both of those guys. But if you want to put everything you can around Drake May, you got to make sure.
Speaker 3: You protected and think about the effort as a whole. Yeah, you took two offensive linemen and two consecutive years in the first round. You also just sign A J. Brown and Romeo Dobbs, So I mean they're trying to help the offense.
Speaker 5: The offense, I think it will be better than last year. It might not be ranked higher, but it will be better than last year.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the second guest on the draft is going to be, you know, some of those edge guys. If Acus doesn't end up panning out because of all the reasons that we've seen so far, If they had taken a first round edge guy in that spot instead of Lomu and just drafted a developmental tackle in the second or the third round. You know, would that of those are the coin flips of the draft, you know, that's how it goes. But I'm not like super concerned about the offensive line. That's like, that's yeah, Like I think their offensive line is going to be good enough that with that quarterback and the receivers that he has around them, if you have a good coaching staff like they do with Josh McDaniels and Doug Moron and their offensive line staff, did they have enough talent in that room to have a serviceable offensive line?
Speaker 2: And I tend to believe that, but we'll say.
Speaker 6: I mean, I don't like them being like we've seen them bottom out on the offensive line.
Speaker 8: It just happened two years ago.
Speaker 9: When's the last time they've been even as deep as they are right now?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 6: I mean, the depth on the talent, the coaching I think is massive. The moron he had a yeah he'll be back, you know, Like, I just don't see with the amount of talent that they have in that room and with McDaniels and Moron coaching it, that room completely cratering.
Speaker 8: Like I just can't imagine that now if they have charger like injuries I.
Speaker 2: Think the concern is Verah Tucker in health from a health.
Speaker 8: And that's where I think lou had left guard comes in.
Speaker 3: Remember those health problems happened at the Jets and.
Speaker 2: The charges.
Speaker 5: So but I have one more like this, like so it's all about drafting guys that can play right away, right like, according to Christian, Like, that's the problem is that you have these guys that they've taken that they're not going to contribute right away and they're not going to be able to do anything to help the team. But the Seahawks are in disarray because they lost Kenneth Walker and drafted a running back in the first round in Endemian Prince. That doesn't matter, I guess again, sort of the contradiction within a.
Speaker 2: Phone call, I give him credit.
Speaker 7: Conversation start all right, good stuff.
Speaker 3: We'll have more of that conversation after this, more calls and emails on Patriots Unfiltered.
Speaker 11: Come welcome our newest restaurant editions at Patriot Place. Estella brings a celebration of flavors with a modern fusion menu. Exciting cocktails and brunch available daily beginning at eleven am. Enjoy freshly brewed coffee and Mediterranean inspired breakfast and lunch from Angels Cafe craving the classics.
Speaker 9: Chick fil A.
Speaker 2: Makes it easy to grab your favorite with mobile through carry out and dine in options.
Speaker 11: Download the Patriot Place Advantage app for special offers and to earn rewards every time you visit Patriot Place Shop Dine enjoy.
Speaker 1: The heaviest metal credit card of all time, wielded at business dinners like a samurai sword. It's a classic corporate power move, but the real power move. Having end to end visibility on your most critical shipments fed X the new power move.
Speaker 3: Whether you're in the game or betting on the game, you'll need a game plan. Draftking sports Book, the official sports betting part of the New England Patriots, provides you with everything you need to build your personal betting game plan so you can get in on all the action while practicing safe bets. Visit DraftKings dot com Slash Responsible dash Gaming to learn more about all the safe betting tools DraftKings has to offer. Hope is here eight hundred and three two seven fifty to fifty or gambling Helplinema dot Org must be twenty one plus. Play it smart from the start game. Sincema dot com physically president Massachusetts. See DraftKings dot com slash Responsible dash Gaming for details and statespecific responsible gambling resources.
Speaker 15: There's enough needless nonsense in the world already. Your phone plan shouldn't add to it. Verizon's new Simplicity plan cuts down on the nonsense in your life. Now there's just one plan, one price, thirty dollars a line per month, even for a single line, and everyone gets our best five Gunit work. It's a phone plan designed to do exactly what a phone plan is.
Speaker 16: Supposed to do.
Speaker 9: Isn't that a lot simpler?
Speaker 15: Switch today at brizon dot com or at your nearestore for new customers. Thirty dollars per linecros autopay and switch discount aditional taxi fees in terms plied. Unlimited data is restricted to on device on my phone uSwitch the mess of day roam at t G speeds.
Speaker 3: If you're going to play the game board, you gotta learn to play right.
Speaker 2: Draft Kings is all about responsible gaming. It's more fun when it's for fun, so played responsibly. Draft Kings the Crown is yours.
Speaker 10: Gambling probably called one hundred twenty one plus age in eligibility there, he's by jurisdiction.
Speaker 2: We got the wide receiver group.
Speaker 10: Everybody loves the White House, right, Paul and the Patriots grabbed the big one.
Speaker 2: That's happened, and I do it happing out so much. I'm coming around.
Speaker 6: You don't like the divas, you don't like the show voters, No, but I like AJ Brown and I'm excited that he's here.
Speaker 2: None of those things. Let's start right off the top with AJ Brown.
Speaker 10: Big acquisition this offseason, and you know, some questions about where he is in his career. Maybe he's a little bit more towards the end in the beginning, and that's, you know, fair enough.
Speaker 2: But from what we saw out there in those mini.
Speaker 10: Camp practices, it seems like AJ Brown is jumping right into this offense. He's gonna have a huge role. Josh McDaniel is going to find a way Paul to get him the ball. I'd be very surprised if that's not the case. You know, he just looks uh, sort of motivated, you know, for lack of a better term.
Speaker 5: And I don't know if he's you know, quite the fifteen hundred yard guy maybe that he used to be maybe he's a little bit less than that. But what you saw in the mini campfield was absolutely the agility, the athleticism, his ability to catch the ball in traffic, strong hands, soft hands, and like I said, just looks like he's motivated to prove some people wrong.
Speaker 2: He said as much, you know, when he spoke to us.
Speaker 5: But they looked a lot more comfortable right out of the shoot than I anticipated.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, it was like they had been playing together for a while. I was like, did you guys like go to Brookline High or something and didn't tell anybody, but they you know.
Speaker 2: I think with aj.
Speaker 8: Brown, the question is is how much of was his.
Speaker 6: Dip and production Philly related and how much of it was AJ Brown related? And I joked with Paul out a mini camp that I was about ready to blame Jalen Hurts for the fact that he had a little bit of a down year last year after he was you know, mossing guys, you know, throughout practice. But I I think that there's ways that Josh McDaniels can help him kind of age more gracefully at this point of his career, moving him around the formation, getting him back into some of the sweet spots of the field in the middle of the field that he was in Tennessee that I don't think they used him as much in Philly. In Philly, he kind of became an isolation receiver, you know, throw him up fifty to fifty balls and things like that. With the Patriots, I'm thinking that they're going to get back to some of the stuff he saw in Tennessee, you know, hitting him on those inbreaking routes, you know, over the middle of the field, letting him catch and run with the football a little bit more, some of that yards after the catch, you know, friendly type of stuff. I think it's going to come back for AJ Brown in this offense. So I think there are ways that a coordinator can really help a receiver like AJ Brown with, you know, sort of different roles and different alignments and things like that that I expect Josh McDaniels to do a little bit better than what we saw in Philadelphia last year. Is at the difference between him being a thousand yards and fifteen hundred. I don't know, but maybe it's a difference which we in a thousand yards in twelve hundred or thirteen hundred yards and you get a little bit more out of him than what the Eagles got.
Speaker 10: One of the questions of this group. Of course, Kaishon Booty had a you know, great year last year, caught some big plays down the end. Wasn't really here during the optional portion of the offseason, was there, mandatory mini camp, didn't really participate though.
Speaker 2: In the last you know, in the last day of practices, the guy.
Speaker 10: We spent a lot of time talking about a player that the Patriots drafted, that has developed here, that is delivered, and now with Brown arriving, it's kind of hard to see exactly how he fits in now, Paul.
Speaker 2: When I was out there watching camp, I'm like, you could figure it out like that, you know what I mean.
Speaker 10: Evan's talking about moving him a little bit, moving Brown a little more inside. Like I do think there's a way they could figure it out. But I think for all of us, all signs are probably pointing towards Kaishon Booty maybe not being a part of this.
Speaker 2: Team once we get to the regular season.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I think that you could figure it out if Romeo Dobbs struggles and doesn't have a huge role. If Romeo Dobbs is what we all think he's going to be. I think it's going to be really hard to just figure that out. And I'm really to on this whole thing because my head shows me that every time they've asked Kaishan Boody to do something over the last couple of seasons, he's generally maximized all his opportunities and done everything that they've asked of him. But at the same time, I can understand the team is looking to improve always and he probably looks at it.
Speaker 2: Entering the final year of his rookie deal.
Speaker 5: He wants to get in a position where he knows he's gonna get targets, knows he's going to put up some numbers and put himself in the best position financially going food.
Speaker 2: So I'm really torn on it.
Speaker 5: I think he's probably gonna end up elsewhere when all is said and done, But you never know. There's a lot of things that can happen between now and the start of the season. Injuries happened, who knows, Yeah, tell me about Dobbs. So I mean, that's how does that all fit together. I mean, he was, you know, until they got Brown. That was the big signing of the offseason to replace him.
Speaker 10: Kind of play like Digs, but he's big, he's versatile, can play a little inside outside.
Speaker 2: I mean, it seems like he's a good fit for what Josh wants to do.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think he's a classic McDaniel ze.
Speaker 6: You know, they're going to probably play him mostly on the inside, but he can play a little bit on the outside, especially on those two receiver based kind of sets. And he reminds me just watching him in this spring, a little bit of Jakobe Myers, you know, that power slot that's got a little bit of size to him. Probably not the most explosive player down the field, but it's going to be really sturdy in the middle of the field. It's going to convert routes correctly, going to be in the right spots and sort of move the chains. And I think that's the element of it that you're hoping to replace with Diggs. Brown's going to be the flash, He's going to be the guy down the field and making the big plays. Can Dobbs be the guy? You know, Digs put up fifty one first downs last year for this team. You know, Dobbs had forty one last year on lower volume with the Packers, So a higher volume. Does that mean that he can match digs in terms of it's third and six and we need just need seven yards. We don't need a fifty, we need seven, you know, and you go out there and you make that kind of play. I think in terms of fitting it all together, the Kishon Booty thing is like it's too prong to me. It's not just that they have position redundancy. They also have skill set redundancy. To me, where if you're three top three or Dobbs Booty Brown, I just kind of feel like you're a little bit slow and like where is that like field stretching element coming from? Where's that speed element coming from?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 6: I think there's two ways to look at it. If you just braided this off of like a Madden curve when you just everybody got a Madden rating, those are your three best receivers probably, But if you look at it from an aspect of, you know, a basketball team, like we need different positions, we need guys with defined roles, Like how do you do that? The best, I think is a tough question to ask, is a guy like Kyle Williams who might not be as good of a player, like as Kisehan Booty, but he runs a four to four and he stretches the field. Is that better fit with Brown and Dobbs and Booty? And I think that's the question that they have to ask themselves is do they need that infusionist speed, whether that's Williams or Pop Douglas, different types of players. But you know, I think that they do run the risk, especially with Henry being your tight end as well of being a little bit slow, if you have those guy altogether.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you mentioned Kyle Williams and Popped Douglas probably saw them racing a little bit.
Speaker 17: You know, they those two two fast they were, and that they're the they're the fasture hope for speed, right, And that I think is a big part of this receiving group is when you look at Kyle Williams, we all talk about can he make a year or two jump?
Speaker 2: Can he bring that element to complement the other pieces.
Speaker 5: So the thing that I like about this is we're talking about the wide receiver group in terms of what's the best combination to use as opposed to well, they got this guy and that guy can do some things and I don't know, maybe someone will emerge mentioned Matt Collins's name, yet like you know, you know, sort of they have no talent.
Speaker 16: Yeah, Like I.
Speaker 5: Think suddenly, you know, we we sort of blinked and wide receiver became I think the best position group on the whole roster. I mean, Corner probably wants a word with that, but but I think in terms of top to bottom, wide receiver is the answer. And it's going to be a matter of what Josh McDaniels and and ultimately Mike Rabel decide they want to keep and they want to feature as a like, like whatever was talking about do you want to mix in some fast guys or do you want to stick with what you think might be redundant? But maybe the best group. They have a lot of options. They have a pretty deep wide receiver core right now.
Speaker 10: They do.
Speaker 6: And it's not like I know, people hear, oh, you know speed, like it's a forty time and that sort of thing, But it's also just separation ability. So like if you have Booty Brown Dobbs and that's your three guys and you're featuring that a lot feels like a lot of contested catches, right. It feels like Drake May throwing fifty to fifty balls a lot to those three guys. I would much rather have one guy like a Pop Douglas or Kyle Williams that when teams play man to man on third down, this guy can get open, you know, like that's the sort of thing that I would like to see, you know, be the third fiddle. But Paul's right, I mean, Matt Collins, if we haven't even mentioned him, He's going to be involved, really versatile player, maybe play a little bit of like the facto tight end even for this group given the fact that Julian Hill's not here anymore. You know, like there's a lot of different factors with Matt Collins's role that are intriguing as well.
Speaker 2: So there's gonna be a lot of mouse defeat.
Speaker 5: Probably someone's gonna go, you know, you know, Booty, we talk about a lot. You know. Jamario Douglass also in the last year of his rookie rookie deal, so maybe Efton Chisholm pushes him a little bit, similar kind of role, different kind of slot receivers, but similar role in the offense. So someone's going to probably end up going, maybe maybe more than one person ends up going.
Speaker 2: But again, really good problems to have because the depth is there.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean this position group one runs twelve players deep, and I mean four of them were undrafted rookie.
Speaker 4: Yah.
Speaker 2: Those poor guys, they brought it. They came to the Patriot at the wrong year right here for that. But you know, shout out to Kyle Dixon. I thought, look, one guy that stood out in rookie mini camp. He made you know, a few cats.
Speaker 10: It looked like an adult heart. He's a big boy. I mean it's not you know, he's not Anotherfton Chisholm. He's got some size to him. But you know, Jeremiah Webb another guy that that's been around. So you know, those guys got their work cut out for them down at the bottom of the depth chart.
Speaker 2: How does it all play out. I mean, there's gonna be a lot of opportunities.
Speaker 10: I think training camp there should be a fun position group I think to watch, especially in some of these joint practices you get them lined up against some of the you know, Eagles and Colts corners.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, I mean this is going to be.
Speaker 6: Like Paul said, I think it's probably the best position group on the roster, if not the second best.
Speaker 2: It's stacked.
Speaker 6: I mean, they really have a lot of talent here. Now they have different types of you know, hierarchy, which I personally love, Like you have a true number one, you have a number two with Romeo Dobbs. I have a bunch of guys that could be a number three on a good offense.
Speaker 8: So it's an exciting group.
Speaker 6: It just depends on, you know, roles and how they keep everybody happy and all that kind of stuff is going to be the big question. Last year, they just had such great chemistry in that room and Diggs was a big part of that, and they just had just off the charts chemistry and how do you recreate that and how do you go about keeping everybody happy when you go six seven guys deep and you only can really play three or four of them on a given Sunday. So that'll be a tough part. That's up to McDaniel's in Rabel though. You know that's why they pay those guys.
Speaker 2: And now great moments in history. I mean, is that tub that's in there. It's got a weigh fifteen pounds. It's enormous. Did you see that? That's like a that's like an.
Speaker 18: Ice cream star? Meghan the Stallion. Oh, okay, I bet I was trying. I was trying to cut that off at the path. I knew that was coming, So I was going with the Megan with.
Speaker 10: The giant jug of ice cream challenge, you know, like how much can you finish?
Speaker 2: Could you finish the whole thing?
Speaker 5: Just just know that yes, the answer is a court no. If I wanted to, Yeah, I could.
Speaker 2: I could handle a pint if.
Speaker 7: I wanted to, the answer is yes, I have.
Speaker 2: To cut down on my ice cream because it binds me up. Yeah. Who studio, Oh, you came very close. You came very close there. Ice cream binds him up. That's another great moment from BA.
Speaker 3: All right back here and Patriots on Filter Day five to five pasts five hundred is the hotline podcasts at Patriots dot com.
Speaker 2: Is the email address.
Speaker 3: It's Evan, it's Paul, it's me, it's Mike, it's Alex, it's Matt and Na Booth and we'll be here until two taking your calls and emails. Getting ready for training camp. First training camp is on Saturday. We're going to start our show at nine for five. Yeah, with on the ramps high above the practice field and we'll tell you everything we see and show you a bunch of stuff, as long as the camera rule is still the same as when Belichick was here. Yeah, you know that kind of that's in change.
Speaker 8: That's a team rule.
Speaker 2: That's not like a league rule. No, it's not a league rule.
Speaker 8: I don't want it out there, so good.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 10: I know are some teams out there. I feel like maybe a Raven's practice. I remember online where it was like, geez, they're just they got the whole thing going.
Speaker 2: Yeah there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, sometimes people sit in the stands and record them.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, which is.
Speaker 6: I think sometimes that pops up. But you don't want to give the rest the league with what we're our plays and what we're doing out of practice.
Speaker 7: I mean, come on, yeah, don't even look at it.
Speaker 2: I want to do that in our tweet about it.
Speaker 3: So that'll be Saturday, and of course the team will also be practicing on Sunday, and we won't have a live show on Sunday. But our next live show after Saturday will be the first day of PADS. I think that July thirtieth, Thursday, whatever date that is today Thursday, and then next week's show times will be one to three one to three and Thursday we'll be live yep so again nine in the morning, So stay tuned for a lot of action next week. Emails coming in Chris and Colfax California.
Speaker 2: Uh first.
Speaker 3: Every day that goes by raises my concern for Acus. I was ridiculously excited when we drafted him as a former wrestler myself, but now I'm very concerned. I can't recall a single red Shirt that has come back and on anything. So if he doesn't play this year, I'm calling the Patriot's career over.
Speaker 2: I hope I'm wrong.
Speaker 3: On a lighter note, if you could take any Patriot from twenty twenty to twenty twenty three and put them as they were on a label coach team, who would it be. I'd love to have seen the twenty twenty two Judon, but Mac Wilson would have been a good one as well. Oh really, so who would have I get what he's trying to say is who would have benefited from being on a on a vable team?
Speaker 2: Nice? I try to do the biggest team that I can find. Don't you?
Speaker 8: Don't you disrespect the.
Speaker 2: Like he played receiver for.
Speaker 9: The past rushow that year with Judon.
Speaker 4: I think it was that got a bunch of sacks as a result in d Trich Like that was actually a great pass rush that would have been really interesting.
Speaker 6: Yeah, had a heater in the second half of the season. Turns out it was like a bunch of backup tackles Judon on the.
Speaker 9: Other side, right, jud just took all.
Speaker 8: I mean, John is the best player in that.
Speaker 5: It's not a bad pick for that. But I think that the same thing would have happened. You know, that happened with Belichick, like he was a fast starter, flash in the pan, petered out the second half of the year.
Speaker 2: That was a pattern for him.
Speaker 4: Do you think John would have had the same Smith John Smith time and new I keep thinking of that.
Speaker 2: But he certainly got better before and after he was on the right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, because he goes and plays for Arthur Smith, Josh McDaniels.
Speaker 7: You know, but he played for Josh McDaniels.
Speaker 2: That's true. But not with Drake May Okay.
Speaker 8: I'll give him. That's a good point.
Speaker 2: Can't argue with that. There's not a lot to tea. It wasn't.
Speaker 7: That didn't argue with that.
Speaker 2: That's the thing.
Speaker 10: It's like Judahn was kind of the savior of those years, the only kind of like impact player.
Speaker 2: And I mean and Paul's right.
Speaker 10: Like early in the season, he's got the red sleeves going, everyone's on board and then kind of.
Speaker 2: You know, withers out. But I don't know, I don't really can't really think that anyway.
Speaker 5: That's the only one I can really think of, especially in light of what this team lacks. You know, a prime, you know, a prime Matthew Judon who had whatever ten twelve sacks in the first ten weeks, So that's you know, whatever, season twenty one, whatever it was. I'd plug him in with Rabel and this coaching staff and on this defense.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean, Devin mccordy with Woodson if he didn't have Buyer that that would work for me.
Speaker 2: But there wasn't a lot of talent on the team at that time.
Speaker 3: Cam Newton, Cam Newton, Chris with a Tia n talking about training camp of the past. Since we're going down memory lane, my favorite memory was the year I went down to practice and Fred waved me over and invited me to sit with him in the media tent, getting a chance to be behind the scenes listening to the conversations and seeing everything from that perspective felt like I had been given access to a whole different world. Fred pulled rank and managed to get me an official media pass with my name on it. When the pass was handed over, I noticed the affiliation listed as PFW, which made it feel even more legitimate. I remember thinking that was about the coolest thing imaginable. I still have it in my office in a place of prominence.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's cool. Come true. I told you was a kingmaker.
Speaker 3: The best part, though, came when Fred asked for the pass. The person who had written out my first name and last name looked at it, paused, and said, oh, this is for Chris with a T, I A N.
Speaker 2: We got a good laugh out of it.
Speaker 3: I forget who would that have been that gave him that. I don't know, somebody from PR, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we did have occasionally, people in media relations or fans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, occasionally.
Speaker 6: Really, I think you're going to say listen. I was like, I think they listened to every show.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean that that would happen from time to time.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 5: And I think maybe when Christian came in, Andy would have just like scurried behind the ropes.
Speaker 2: I don't interact with it.
Speaker 6: I do remember the first practice that I covered as a reporter, and I was on cloud nine. I mean, I can understand where he's coming from. I was still living in New York, but I came for like a weekend practice. Clintis got me credentialed, and I remember just like beaming their way home, like I flew like it was it was cool. It was like that was like dream dream made.
Speaker 10: Oh well, you see those people every year too, Like you'll see a you kid who I was trying to like go up.
Speaker 6: My first like game I covered was one of the preseason games that summer, like and you just you never forget your first you.
Speaker 9: Know, well, with we grow up too.
Speaker 4: Like with Twitter, you guys were like kind of accessible to us, not really, but you listen and you follow you guys and you feel like you kind of know them. Was it like that for you guys? Like reading great columnists in more of the newspaper.
Speaker 2: Era and then meeting them.
Speaker 4: Not even just meeting them, but like I feel I got training camp. Every year there's kids yelling like my Grease, Mike Grease or pogging Craft even Volan, you know what.
Speaker 9: I mean, like, was that always the.
Speaker 2: Caser they did not yelling at But it wasn't like that.
Speaker 4: But was it more with Twitter that they became so front facing the old stadium?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: So at the end of the game in the old stadium, the press would come down from the press box which was on the fifty yard line, and you'd have to walk down the sideline and then through the end zone to get to the other side and wait. So with two minutes and it was like walking through a gauntlet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Donaldson, go kill yourself. They killed us.
Speaker 5: It almost got to the point where if someone didn't say something bad about you, that was bad too, because that meant you were irrelevant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we all we all.
Speaker 7: Heard our share.
Speaker 2: But you know, the team was not good, and so.
Speaker 3: They were yelling at him because they were writing bad things. I guess, you know retired, Oh yeah, all the time.
Speaker 9: What would they say about you?
Speaker 2: Just yeah, you don't know what football? What's what's the what's the number one thing that you would have said about me prior.
Speaker 7: To about a year and a half ago that you're hey, fatty.
Speaker 9: Mean, you are so mean.
Speaker 6: Leave the body shaming out of it. You want to come after Paul's reporting on the team for air Tight.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know im. You just walk on bully, but it was, it was, it was. It was a lot different.
Speaker 3: They weren't yelling at a salad.
Speaker 10: We have great fans though that come out to training camp and that's uh, you know, we yelled at you know, people come up and it's it's great.
Speaker 8: Nobody like though Mike Grease is pretty I don't.
Speaker 5: Think Mike takes takes any bullets. It's always positive with He's like pretty much everybody else.
Speaker 8: You would think he was like Paul McCartney.
Speaker 9: They want to.
Speaker 5: When I get chirped now it's generally positive. I will say that because I think people listen to this show and they really like our dynamic, and I think far more positive than negative.
Speaker 3: Because I was complaining earlier about one of Paul's shows comparing the numbers of Diggs and AJ Brown and Mike Wilson and the Cardinals and uh, Anthony says maybe they meant meaning Felgri and Maz that it was considered a down year for AJ and considered an impressive year for Diggs. Diggs coming off the injury versus A J. Brown in his prime. When you look at it like that, it makes sense. That's said, I believe he'll have an excellent year. Brown and Dobbs are giving Moss and Star Wars vibes.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 5: Diggs's year was I think as expected. I don't think that he exceeded. I mean, the only thing I would say that exceeded was when we were out there in the spring last year and he was ready to go and running around, yeah, cutting all over the place. I didn't expect to see that, but I expected him to be ready to go at the start of the season, and I expected him to have about one hundred catches for one thousand yards. I think he had eighty something for one thousand yards.
Speaker 2: So like, I don't.
Speaker 5: That's kind of what Diggs is now. He's not that fifteen hundred yard guy that he used to be like in Minnesota and early in.
Speaker 2: His Buffalo days, like the last few years.
Speaker 5: That's the number one thing when you to get back to what we started the show with the excitement level, and you guys said AJ Brown, and I'm totally with you. Is AJ Brown still capable of being Vinta JJ Brown fifteen hundred yard guy? You know, maybe double digit touchdowns, you know, solid fifteen or so plus average per catch. Is that guy still there or has he? Is he now what he's been the last two years in Philly. The first two years in Philly were off the arts. The last two were pedestrian for him. For him, so I'm wondering motivation all the stuff Evan talked about with its excitement to be a Patriot. He says, you know, watch and I'll show you about the knee. When he was asked about the knee. That's what I kind of want to see. How does he look back quarterback.
Speaker 10: I think it's easy to just look at the stats between the two guys, and what I'm most interested in is also just the presence that aj Brown brings to the offense with his physicality that is not anywhere close to what Diggs does.
Speaker 2: And there's more than one way to skin a cat.
Speaker 10: He's a phenomenal route runner Diggs is, but that element of physicality, and you know, if he still has that, if he still is barreling through guys, if it's still oh, you're going to try to just push him out of balance like good luck. Like that to me is an element that I think, you know, we can get caught up in the numbers of it all, but there's also just a style that he has that I'm excited to just see that in the offense, and that's like it just fits their play style how they want to go into games physically dominating people, and that's what AJ Brown does.
Speaker 6: There's a lot of elements with him that I feel like you can't quantify necessarily with like catches and yards and things like that, because of how he impacts how defenses play them and how they you know, game plan for them on a week to wake basis, and are you seeing lighter boxes as he's seeing number one corners like all these different types of things that I don't know if that necessarily is Well, he had eighty three catches for a thousand yards, like that doesn't necessarily tell the whole story.
Speaker 2: Yep, you guys right about that.
Speaker 6: And I think Diggs maybe had an element of that too, just differently, like it was just he was playing in different parts of the field. But I think that that's the biggest thing with AJ Brown is you know, can he have that kind of impact on the team. I'm ass worried about is he going to go for fifteen hundred yards, and I'm more interested.
Speaker 2: About the explosiveness and the impact.
Speaker 5: Like, I don't think Diggs was capable of being what you're just what you just described anymore. I think Diggs maximize what he has left basically, and I think he could do that again for someone. I expect someone will sign him at some point, and I would expect him to be a productive guy again like that.
Speaker 7: I do not think.
Speaker 5: The balance of Diggs's career is still He's still capable of like that huge, huge impact. He was absolutely the guy that every other defense focused on and doubled and he could get to all three levels of a defense he couldn't do. I don't think that anymore on a consistent basis for the Patriots.
Speaker 2: Let's go to the phones, herms and DC.
Speaker 19: What's up, Hermy, what's going on?
Speaker 9: Gang?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 19: Everything good?
Speaker 3: I mean, that's good.
Speaker 19: I have a quick comment and I'll hop off the phone. I didn't feel like doing this, but I feel like anita response is called up. That was a little bit ignorant from before to break. I think it's so well Campbell conversations getting out of control like this. I mean, this was a rookie to protected take Miss Blonds all the way to the super.
Speaker 2: Bowl and he was hurt.
Speaker 19: Yes, he might have not played well, but out of them think there's even a left tech Hall of Fame. Was that if you'd have had the same injury, that would have not performed less than you know what I mean. So we just got to you know, we just gotta give some time. Like in this I feel like in this society nowadays, you want everything right of way, and we just need to give certain things time. I guess my overpoint is Will Campbell's fine, He's going to be great. He was hurt and he'll be fine.
Speaker 2: Please say you guys, okay, all right, yeah, yeah, we'll see. Let's go with that here too. You expect something I'm on board stronger hopefully. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think that that's more less than so about the injury is his physical development. I think that was something that've Abel kind of hinted to us to said the combine that is just pretty blunt with it talking about Campbell getting physically stronger and then technique wise. You know, I've talked about this before with some of the arm length deficiencies, like he's going to have to be a really good technician. He's going to have to make up for some of his physical limitations in different ways with his technique. And I don't expect a twenty one year old rookie to know how to do that kind of stuff right out of the gate. But as we get into year two and year three and you're four, like, he's got to improve in those areas to the point where he can cover it up. So both those things, I think he's got to be stronger, and I think he's got to be more technically sound at times.
Speaker 8: But I don't think that he can't do it. I think we got to see it.
Speaker 3: Darius and Louisville Wright since says, I'm not overly concerned about the edge position. I understand everyone wants a double digit sack guy, but I thought we were all aware that you can't do everything in one offseason. We upgraded the line and offensive weapons while adding a top safety. Patriots didn't sit on their hands entirely, and we did sign one draft one with the pressure coming through the middle with Milton Barmore, while having a top five secondary. We only need cleanup guys on the outside. We don't need a Miles Garrett yes, it'll be great, but I think we'll be just fine.
Speaker 7: They also lost one, signed one, I mean drafted one and lost one.
Speaker 6: Lost two wed count Anthony Jennings too. Yeah, I think that His overall point, though I agree with him, is that they found ways last year to get pressure on the quarterback, whether it was blitzing in the playoffs or the two guys in the middle he mentioned. So I don't necessarily think their talent level on the edge is worse than it was last year.
Speaker 2: I just wish that Akis and Landry were going to be So.
Speaker 5: That's a big if to me, is like, if you plug in Landry that started the season this year, then I would say that's absolutely true. I don't think Landry will be what he was in the first five or six weeks again.
Speaker 6: But if you look at it just where they ended last year, Landry kind of not really contributing a ton. Chase on Ponder is kind of the third guy, and Jennings versus Draymond Jones. Whatever they get out of Landry, Akis and Ponders, it's kind of the same.
Speaker 7: I don't think Landry is the same. I don't think.
Speaker 2: I'm just not a believer in like these guys.
Speaker 5: I mean, you don't think Jones as good as Chasen at rushing the passer. I think Jones might be a better all around player. He might be like stronger at the point of attack and better fit for them. He might end up being a better player. So I have no problem with that signing. But I also think it would just going off those three playoff games during the season, we were sitting here every week saying they can't get any pressure on the passer. In the playoffs, they got all kinds of pressure on the passer. So if that's real and they can do that for a whole season, then Evan's right, we're worried about nothing.
Speaker 8: Well, I don't know if we're worried about nothing. I just don't.
Speaker 6: I don't think it was the strength of the team last year, and I don't think it's the strength of the team this year. And I don't know how much they've really lost talent wise in the group this year compared to last year. But last year wasn't It wasn't great either. Like I'm not saying it was, you know, any better or worse. It just was kind of the same as it was last year. And you're hoping that Zach Korr and the staff is going to drop the blitzes like they did and he'll.
Speaker 7: I just didn't think last year it was good enough, that's all.
Speaker 10: Yeah, they were like kind of middle of the path and then but we talked about it plenty, and that's what's a little frustrating as you get now you know Camp Eve essentially and it feels kind of the same in the same ballpark. And I think the point about Anthony Jennings is a good one. I mean, you know, he was nothing special as a pass rusher, but he was a solid guy that they that they could put in there and that they found. Now maybe Draymond Jones fills some of that need. But I think the bottom line with this group is just the juice off the edge and when it's third and long, Williams and Christian Barmbo can't do. And I also think if you're sort of middleish, you know, mid mid, you're sort of mid when you completely control every game the way they did last year, like I think you should have had inflated numbers based on the second half of every game the other team was in you know, eighty five pass mode. Again in the playoffs, they showed you they could do it a little bit different, and I think they played more man and I think that was better suited for Gonzo and Gonzales, Davis and Jones. I think that worked, and I think that helped the guys upfront with some of the schemes that they worked. It worked very well.
Speaker 5: When they got to the point where they had to have it work well when they needed it most, it was there. So I'll have some faith in it until I see otherwise.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think the big question with that is is that sustainable over seventeen games?
Speaker 6: Can you play balls to the wall like that? That would be my first seventeen games. I think it's easy to do it. Not easy, but I think you can do it for three to four games in a playoff setting. Blitzing over forty percent of the time for seventeen straight weeks is not sustainable.
Speaker 5: And I do wonder, and I don't have the numbers you might have them committed to memory. My just anecdotally, I would guess that they blitzed more against the Chargers and more against the Texans and less against the Broncos.
Speaker 2: That's actually it'so I mean, these are based on ESPN Summers.
Speaker 10: I had a forty five point five against blitzerate against the Chargers, then thirty six point five against Houston, forty point five against Denver.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I'm a little surprise point one agains. Yeah, I'm not.
Speaker 5: Surprised about the Seattle one, because they blitzed every play once they fell a way behind. Yeah, they were blitzing trying to cause turn rightly, so they were trying to cause turnovers to get back in the game, desperate. But you got the Chargers had nothing of an offensive line. The Texans had nothing of an offensive line. All their starters were out for both and then Denver actually has a decent offensive line. So I was surprised that that number was as high as a one.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think they attacked, you know, also like they knew that if they got pressured on Stroud that he was going to cough the ball up, so you know, and I just.
Speaker 2: Wonder if they blitzed more because it was Stidham that was where.
Speaker 6: And I think Darnold too. I mean, we all remember seeing ghosts right like. That wasn't that long ago. So I that's the question is what the defense that they played in the playoffs was extremely aggressive. Ton de mand Ton of blitzing. I don't know if you can do that for seventeen games. When you do it against a three or four game sample, that's a different story. But again, I just keep with the edge thing. I just like I think Draymond Jones and Chase On are kind of a one for one swap.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, I think they're absolutely think that.
Speaker 6: I think that, But I think that that even the numbers bear that out. Like from like a statistical perspective, they're basically the same guy from a pass rush standpoint, So that one's kind of a watch. The question really was, you know, guys like Akus and Ponder and those players were going to have to step up and we don't.
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 2: There's a little bit of context too. I think that's interesting.
Speaker 10: Over the course of the season in the regular season, they only had a blitzerrate over forty percent three times.
Speaker 2: The first game of the season. Did that go?
Speaker 10: And then the last two games of the season when you had the short handed Dolphins and Jets and you just killed.
Speaker 5: Right, And I wonder, and you know, looking back at that, I wonder if they only did it the last two games because they knew they were going to do it in the playoffs, and they would get in some practice.
Speaker 3: Game fall Julian and German could jump Fatty go you to Sally. Julian in Germany has a who am I game?
Speaker 2: You have a vegetable.
Speaker 3: Remember, you can guess at any time, but once you guess, you're done. I played for Arizona College. I was a sixth round pick. I played for eight NFL teams so far, meaning he was a Patriots, he was a Patriot, or he was a Patriot. I joined the Patriots in twenty nineteen Arizona. I'm the record holder for longest field goal in the Alliance of American Football justin.
Speaker 2: In twenty twenty one.
Speaker 3: I scored the most points in the league with one hundred and fifty, tied with Daniel Carlson.
Speaker 2: Nick everybody I.
Speaker 6: Was just I thought it was Nick Fole, but I didn't want to be Rainfult.
Speaker 8: I got nervous. I was like, Okay. As soon as I heard the spring league thing, I was like, I think this is Nick Fole.
Speaker 3: That's one out of three. The second one I played for the Rochester Yellow Jackets.
Speaker 2: Okay, what is that?
Speaker 3: I was born in Canada blame. I had two stints with the Patriots. I won five Super Bowls, all with the Patriots. My first year with the Patriots was two thousand, my last year with twenty sixteen. It tells you it's not really probably a player. I was never a starter and I'm currently with the Tennessee Titans. By daybo is correct. Finally, I played for the University of Houston.
Speaker 2: Is correct. That's good, good stuff. I was over three. Was hard because you're thinking player.
Speaker 8: Once you said a starter, like yeah, come on.
Speaker 2: Andrews in Wisconsin on the hot line, what's up? Andrew? I just had a question.
Speaker 16: And I don't get to listen all the time, but I just I was on AI, you know, doing our research. I don't know if you've talked about this, but it says that I just came across this tidbit that accuses or Jack as whatever his name is, ag is well turning that way, but that his agent is the same as Gonzales.
Speaker 8: Correct.
Speaker 16: I don't know if you talked about is the Is there a chance that like there the aide just waiting for the one to the big one to get signed and then he'll come in. Are they using that as leverage.
Speaker 8: I don't think so.
Speaker 5: No, a rookie second round pick doesn't have anything to do with Christian Gonzalez's contract.
Speaker 16: Well, I just I didn't know if they were just trying to hold the second round pick over their head.
Speaker 5: Or I don't really know exactly with what the issue is here. But this isn't about he's holding out for more money. Like there seems to be like a tone like you were upset with actus here, like this is about something related to his health and when, oh whenever he had an issue and whether it was disclosed. There's something that we don't know about and I and I'm being first one to tell you, I don't know about it. I don't know what the details are. But there was a story behind this that we don't know yet.
Speaker 2: We may never know. I don't know.
Speaker 7: But this isn't like all the all the contracts have slotted.
Speaker 16: Yeah right, No, I just assumed that, like like he's not even in for classroom stuff. Seems like really adversarial.
Speaker 5: It's if if it's adversarial, it's it's because of something health related.
Speaker 16: Okay, all right, Like maybe he had.
Speaker 5: An injury that was pre existing that the patriots didn't know about or maybe they asked him about it and he didn't disclose it. Maybe he wasn't as honest about it as he might have been. There's a lot of different scenarios that could could be at play. I don't know which one it is, right, but.
Speaker 3: There's no doubt in that first press conference when we learned about it that Rabel you could see frustrated he was.
Speaker 2: He was annoyed.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I and sometimes, like when I don't know the answers to these questions, sometimes I'm reluctant to SPECULA don't know. This isn't just like like Fernando Mendoza just signed here's number one pick of the drive. It wasn't about how much money he was going to get. It was something about language in the car or whatever. I have no idea what was going on in Vegas, but I don't think there was anybody that was too concerned about it.
Speaker 7: This is something.
Speaker 5: It has to be something health related, with Acis and the team being maybe not fully up to speed or aware of what the situation was.
Speaker 2: I mean, Verbel's going to get asked about it tomorrow.
Speaker 7: I'd be curious to see if it's changes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some kind of nugget.
Speaker 7: I'd like to think he'd be asked about it tomorrow.
Speaker 6: We'll see, Yeah, Well, and Gonzalez too, right, and him, Gonzalez and Landry are going to be I would think one, two, three, you know, I mean, those are that's the roster.
Speaker 8: Questions right now?
Speaker 2: Is Christian Gonzalez here? And this Karen? Yeah, Karen, she knows what.
Speaker 5: I don't need to tell. Karen run circles around me. Journalist Ben in Arizona.
Speaker 3: It's annoying to hear constantly the Will Campbell was trash after his injury, that may was trash.
Speaker 2: In the playoffs. Sure, not great at all.
Speaker 3: However, how many other teams have been successful in the playoffs after playing the top four to five defenses in the league back to back to back. Regular season was amazing and better than expected, easy schedule, but you still have to win. Do you expect to see the team to play as well as in the regular season or will they look more like they did in the playoffs with this tougher season.
Speaker 8: Can we have somewhere in the Yeah?
Speaker 17: I hope not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I hope the offense doesn't look like it didn't.
Speaker 2: In them at all. Yeah, I just I think all that stuff they were simplified. They were a good team last year. There. I think they'll be a good team this year.
Speaker 3: So what was closer to what it will be the offense in the playoffs or the defense in the playoffs last year?
Speaker 6: Will be defense and closer to what it will be, but it will be this year. I think the offense is going to be substantially better than it was in the playoffs.
Speaker 3: And the defense could be close, could be top five defense.
Speaker 5: I just think the offense was so bad in the playoffs, the top five offense and a top five defense.
Speaker 4: But well, to be better than last year in the playoffs, you just have to have an existed offense.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he just said what do you think will be closer? The offense which was abysmal, And we all think that the offense has improved greatly, so we all think the offense is going to be better. So you're forced to say defense, and now they have nuclear.
Speaker 8: Probably defense and now eighty five bears.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that that performance in the playoffs was if you put that in a regal seat, that's a defense, but could be if.
Speaker 8: They equally You said, which one is it going to be close?
Speaker 2: Which one is going to be closer?
Speaker 5: Though someone might answer this like vintage Paul would have answered this question, I don't think either one of them is going to be close to what it was in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: I think the offense is.
Speaker 5: Going to be much better, and I don't think the defense is going to approach that dominance that they had.
Speaker 7: And now we'll see what happens now.
Speaker 5: I think the defense is pretty good, so I'm not telling you that I think there's a huge drop off for the defense, but you set it up so we had to pick one or the other.
Speaker 8: Okay, good facilitation, Good facilitation by fan.
Speaker 3: Do you think there is a chance that they could have top five both sides.
Speaker 2: Of the ball? Again? Didn't they last year?
Speaker 3: Were the I don't know about that, but.
Speaker 7: Number you want scoring? The only thing I care about is scoring, and I think they were top five in both.
Speaker 2: I can't get an I'll get there in a second. Maybe they weren't. I don't know.
Speaker 7: Maybe maybe I'm just being a homer again Christian. Sorry, what do you call it?
Speaker 2: Mellie mouth millionau? I didn't care for that.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, I I do not care where talking down to the offensive line like that. It's an important position. Got to invest in the offensive line, got to you.
Speaker 3: Know, everyone says that you need to support Drake may Well. I think that shows support taking two first round picks year to year and signing AJ Brown, bringing in Romeo Dobbs.
Speaker 5: I think I think, you know, I'm not going to play devil's advocate here for Christian, but I think his point is they could have gotten better players that they drafted, and that would have been better help.
Speaker 6: I think the offensive line thing though, not to get into the whole philosophical thing, but it's it's supply and demand. Like once you get into free agency and in the veteran market with offensive line, and it's it's hard to find franchise left tackles in free agency. Like those guys don't get to free agency, right, you know, those guys stay on their teams, or every once in a while you see a guy get traded, but it's a substantial trade in a big price. So I think if you're going to build the offensive line for the future in long term, that's why a lot of teams draft linemen is because you kind of have to draft them, you know, like you're not going to get you know, Laromie Tunzel I think is maybe the last true like franchise guy that moved in a trade that I can think of off the top of my head.
Speaker 8: It doesn't happen very anything.
Speaker 3: Drafting Lineman is like eating your vegetables.
Speaker 2: You gotta You don't like it, but you gotta do it and it's gonna help you.
Speaker 5: But I don't think he is mad that they drafted Lineman. I don't think he agrees with the lineman they set but it's not the same.
Speaker 9: Like impact play.
Speaker 8: But who was he supposed to draft?
Speaker 2: Like last year? Lomu was the last one.
Speaker 7: No, No, I'm not defending I'm saying I'm just saying like that.
Speaker 2: But that's what his point is.
Speaker 7: He doesn't like the guys they took, not necessarily the position.
Speaker 8: And that's fair enough.
Speaker 6: But maybe you could have made that argument in Campbell's draft, like maybe you were a Membu guy or Josh Simmons, Like, if.
Speaker 5: You had to do it over again, how would you feel if you had drafted Membo and then Lomo and that was your left and right tackle. I don't know, but you probably wouldn't have gone to the Super Bowl. Last year with Badarian Lowe playing left tackle for seventeen games.
Speaker 6: Right, I dis question is where would you have played Membo like last year? Would he had played left instead of playing right with I think he would have played right, but Morgan Moses was here though.
Speaker 2: No, they're all fair.
Speaker 6: Second I that's that was always the conversation with Membo is your draft.
Speaker 5: Ramble was taken fourth overall because they had to draft a guy who could play Week one left tackle, and that's why they chose him.
Speaker 7: Christian is obviously not a fan of that pick.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 3: I think that up until the injury, you'd say that he had a good season rookie season left tackle, fine, A good I said a good season. I didn't say that he didn't make the Pro Bowl or anything.
Speaker 2: But he's getting there.
Speaker 4: But do you think he deserves kind of like I feel like Will Campbell's the low hanging fruit right now to attack the team.
Speaker 10: Yeah, well, I think he has questions coming out, and the questions in the playoffs kind of you know, his performance in the playoffs brought back those questions, and then you know, you got to a certain point last year and everybody felt like he's been pretty good I mean he had how many sex you give up to Marus Garrett, you know, like, I mean he had had Yeah, he had some struggles during the season. It wasn't perfect, Devin said, passable grade, but the performance in the playoffs and especially with the Super Bowl, and that's what we're left.
Speaker 2: The taste we all have in our mouth is from that game. So I think a lot of the.
Speaker 10: Narratives come from that super Bowl, whereas ninety nine percent of that season before the super Bowl, like a lot of that wasn't really questions, like you weren't like Drake's the second place MVP guy, but then you come out of the Super Bowl and you're like, well, he didn't play that great against Seattle.
Speaker 6: So I just feel like the to me, like the Campbell criticism from the Super Bowl is so misguided, Like I just feel like his his role in that loss was on the list, but it wasn't at the top of my list.
Speaker 8: I don't think.
Speaker 6: I think they got thoroughly out coached and out played in every phase. So the single handedly say Will Campbell is like the reason that they lost the Super Bowl, I think is short sighted, Like there was a million things they could have done differently in that Super Bowl, on both sides of the ball, but especially offensively, Like no offense to any of them, but like Drake May did not play very well in that game either, and Josh McDaniels didn't coach very well in that game either, you know, Mike McDonald kind of took him to work, you know, and so like, I don't know, like some of that is obviously on Campbell, that you got to execute your blocks and things like that, But if Drake May had played at the level that he had been playing all year, I don't know if Will Campbell would have allowed fourteen pressures or whatever the heck Next Gen said it.
Speaker 2: Was, because he's still like in the next Gen page is literally like still the top side.
Speaker 3: Don't forget, don't underestimate the help of the ex patriot with the conflict of interest that gave them all.
Speaker 2: Right, right, what do you feel about that? Allegedly?
Speaker 7: I wish you didn't kiss him now I don't.
Speaker 3: I'm not convinced it was him. I'm hoping it wasn't.
Speaker 2: I but you know, if it was, I'm not I'm not happy with that. Like, what do you think he could have done?
Speaker 3: It's just tendencies for Josh McDaniels.
Speaker 2: You know how he how he might attack. Yeah, this is the kind of things he likes to do. Yeah.
Speaker 6: If there's one thing that I think he could have done, and I don't I don't know if it was Braden, I don't think it was. But the way that Seattle attacked their protections in particular, felt like they had picked up something on tape of like how they the Patriots liked to do things from a schematic standpoint. Did somebody like nudge them in the direction of like this is what they've been doing all year, you know, like that that sort of thing. Or is Mike McDonald, who is a great coach, just watched tape for ten straight days of the Patriots offense and figured it out on his own.
Speaker 3: Yep, David and Bethlehem right sin he's in swaddling clothing from my lane from.
Speaker 2: The Major every time that he reads that, I think of that.
Speaker 9: This is in July.
Speaker 3: From my lame online searches, it seems that Accus has two young aggressive agents, Lukeman Sailor and Vet.
Speaker 2: Reggie Johnson.
Speaker 3: Besides failure to disclose injuries, it seems that he's looking for guarantees that other second round players don't get, and the agents and agents are unwilling aren't able to tell him the facts of life. Is accus living on checks he can't cash. What happens if the Patriots insist on MRIs and physical exams before signing him? What happens if there is no agreement? Does acas just stay out and eat donuts?
Speaker 8: I'm not comforting.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 8: I'm not comfortable touching that email.
Speaker 5: That could be true. He should be looking for guarantees that aren't typical. I don't think that's the case.
Speaker 8: I have no idea if that's.
Speaker 4: Right or wrong, but it would be surprising to me based on like we talked about already, just his mindset on the raft night, how fired up he was, wed else was to see it?
Speaker 10: You.
Speaker 9: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he seems to me like the type of guy that would tell his agent screw that I got to get over there.
Speaker 7: I don't think this has anything to do with agents.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I don't matter, I really don't.
Speaker 10: That's my question is is this something that is still an issue or is this all past things that happened and we're still trying to figure out how to make those things right? Is he I mean he's posting that he's working out, so is he healthy?
Speaker 2: Is he ready to go?
Speaker 10: Is there a lingering effect from an injury that they want protection on that you know that he's they're not willing to give him.
Speaker 4: And why is he post like you're posting to give a perception about yourself.
Speaker 9: It's all intentional for I'll never find I'm fine.
Speaker 5: He's posting stuff to say I'm fine. I think that they think he might not be, and they're trying to protect himselfs.
Speaker 10: I mean of a guy who's never played a game for the Patriots. Has there been a more roller coaster than this guy?
Speaker 5: Like I Benjamin Watson, that's how far back I off to, Like think, you asked me this like a couple of days ago, do you remember any thing like this? And my answer was, like since eleven when the new CBA came in and all these things became slotted, No, twenty two years. I can't think of any time that it was like this since twenty eleven.
Speaker 6: So the only other one that I can think of league wide now, and of course now I'm banking on his name, the Nikobe Dean, the Georgia linebacker. He had a similar situation because million injuries. He had a million injuries, some of them potentially chronic, like you know that sort of thing fell in the draft because of it, took a while to sign them, but then they eventually, you know, they signed them and everything kind of it's pretty good player, right, But I that was maybe a good similar situation based just because of the physical element of it.
Speaker 10: Well, that's what scares me is just that's the like thing I don't want is this some like all of a sudden you realize that this guy's got a long term knee problem, Like this is your get your you put. You spent a second round pick on a guy and it's gonna be damaged goods like that.
Speaker 2: That's that's that's my.
Speaker 8: Fear because.
Speaker 6: Of the contract situation, the fact that they haven't signed him to a contract. My fear is is that they are worried that this issue is product.
Speaker 5: I'm worried that they're trying to protect themselves all or maybe they're trying to teach them a lesson.
Speaker 3: You know, we don't like this whole thing of withholding and pulling in. We're gonna make you wait now, because you know, but.
Speaker 4: Does that at a certain point you're just kind of only hurting yourself to learn, especially as a rookie.
Speaker 3: And you want to give I don't know how success. All I know is that very able, seem very annoyed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: Christian Virginia writes in about Christian in La, what an absolute breath of fresh air it was to have a Christian free episode last Tuesday. Honestly, the more we hear from Christian in La, the more convinced I am that the guy is a complete fraud. He doesn't have wealth. He clearly just works for someone else who does. Over in the UK, we have a perfect term for guys like him, an eleven rife eleven arrife.
Speaker 2: You know the type.
Speaker 3: You tell him you went on holiday to tenarife and he's instantly been to eleven arrife. Case in point, his desperate need to one up Alex's key Fob's story with that clearly fabricated, fabricated Tesla tale, but he slipped up and completely gave himself away. First off, Tesla doors have built in sensors specifically designed to stop them from swinging open into other objects. Plus there is literally a setting to control how they opened when you approach the vehicle, he'd know that if it was actually his car, and has claimed that a credit card size fob is easily lost. Has the man never heard of a wallet?
Speaker 4: Christian Virginia Christians being accused of being a fake Tesla owners, fake rich guy.
Speaker 6: In general, Yeah, I just like how the call continued to move. First it was there too best defensive players. Then I called him out and said who were they? And then he said, well, they also lost Kenneth Kenneth Walker, And I was like, I thought we were talking about the defense. And that's why whenever he calls in, I just think it's a bit like I don't think that he's being serious at all. I think that it is all an art. It's a performative.
Speaker 3: I think the part about the draft picks, I think he really does believe that part. Yeah, you know he's not the only one.
Speaker 8: No, maybe, but I just the way he plays it up.
Speaker 3: Gandolf in the Shire rights in, he's made he's made what listening to us a hobbit?
Speaker 2: Oh? I should you did that good hobbit question for Paulie.
Speaker 3: You said that the Patriots wouldn't have made it to the Super Bowl without selecting Will Campbell in last year's draft.
Speaker 2: Did you say that?
Speaker 5: Not to that extent, but I think I think I said you could make an argument that they wouldn't have made the super Bowl with Vederian Lowe playing seventeen games at left tackle.
Speaker 2: I think that's what I said.
Speaker 3: Okay, correct me if if I'm wrong. But last year, when injuries hit the offensive line, you stated you didn't see much difference between the starters and the backups.
Speaker 7: I didn't see much difference between Vaderian Lowe and Will.
Speaker 9: Campbell sample size.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he did play well, Darian. I thought he played well in three of the four games that he played, the last.
Speaker 9: One specifically slippage all games.
Speaker 2: Would you say seventeen games? Yep? Yeah.
Speaker 3: Do you believe a healthy low would have been better than a seventy percent healthy Will Campbell just an estimate of his health in the playoffs and thus would they have made it to the Super Bowl?
Speaker 2: Yes, I do.
Speaker 7: I think that at that point he's not healthy.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm only going I personally don't know how much that had to do with health, but I'm just going to take everybody at face value. Right, Campbell was fine until he got hurt. That's what everybody tells me, right, and we're going to find out, and coaches are eight just to find out too. That's why he took a left tackle in first round. But we'll find out.
Speaker 6: I do think that that is another fair second guess a little bit though, what did it? Would they have been better off? After the Chargers game saying to Will Campbell, you're.
Speaker 2: Not healthy, You're done, You're done for the season.
Speaker 8: Right, Yeah, we're putting we're gonna ride it out with Vederian.
Speaker 3: Because because wasn't there like rumors that they put him on I r uh save him from himself, to keep him from pushing to keep playing.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so I who knows.
Speaker 5: No, you're right that that was a story that was shaking my head of the ridiculousness of that was a story.
Speaker 2: And then four weeks later he when he wasn't playing well it was because he was healthy. Well, I don't know. It's like it's a funny little trick that the media pulls on us. You never pin him down.
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: Nick from New York City? Is there any chance Demetrius Crown over play some tight end for more than trick plays?
Speaker 2: Assuming he makes the team.
Speaker 3: Is this something they'd even consider, Well, I guess it.
Speaker 6: There is going sixth offensive linemen considered a trick play Fred? No, No, then I would say so, then I would say yes.
Speaker 10: Would he be the guy?
Speaker 2: Do you think?
Speaker 8: I don't know?
Speaker 2: He did it?
Speaker 6: He was a tight end, so I think that's where that comes from high school. But I think it's a open competition for that role. I think Lomu probably would be the first one up.
Speaker 7: To get You think it would be him and Marcus Briant competing for a roster spot.
Speaker 6: Yes, me too, But I think Lomu would probably be the sixth offensive lineman first, because you want to get Lomu reps and into games and things like that.
Speaker 2: But maybe the tackle is going to catch a touchdown this year.
Speaker 6: How about we go seven offensive linemen and we put ground over and lot never gonna We're gonna do the push.
Speaker 2: Push, seven offensive lineman, three fullbacks. I love it. We slipped the handle out to the flat boom. How about.
Speaker 9: The Mighty Ducks.
Speaker 3: Snap brake, run play done, Let's go, Let's go, Let's go.
Speaker 6: Who says no, Yeah, Well, we called we call it the elephant to the lineman lineup.
Speaker 7: For a whole season in twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: I want to see in the backfield, in the batfield and everyone just goes forward.
Speaker 8: Wisconsin. I think it's Wisconsin. We call it the Convoy.
Speaker 6: They used to have a package called the Elephant Package, and I think it was seven offensive lineman. But it was like seven offensive lineman, the quarterback obviously in like a full house backfield, like it was just like it was a fourth and one goal line formation. And I think they I think it was seven offensive linemen.
Speaker 8: I'm open to it.
Speaker 3: Let's go, let's go go. We'll finish the show with Anthony's email. Hearing fred say it's Thursday, followed by Paul's quick we gotta hurry brought me so much joy because that means we're close. Love when you guys do the picks and talk about the spread and how minus two and a ha is really plus one and a hay because they're giving.
Speaker 2: Three points to the home team. Tough math man.
Speaker 3: All right, well listen, what do the sharps know? This isn't this is not it for the weekend.
Speaker 7: Just getting started, Freddy, just getting started.
Speaker 3: Saturday, nine five am Eastern time. We will be live at practice, the first public practice, the fans will be there. The weather's going to be great, you're gonna get the smell of the grass again. It's gonna be awesome. So be with us at nine while we watch practice with you and we will see you then.
Speaker 2: Hey, this is Deuce. Thanks for tuning into the show.
Speaker 10: If you really want to help us, make sure you like us wherever you get your podcasts like Apple Podcasts or Spotify.
Speaker 2: Also make sure you.
Speaker 10: Follow us on the New England Patriots YouTube channel to see this show and everything else that we do here at the Patriots.
Speaker 2: Thanks a lot,